Speaker 1: Hodsave America is brought to you by simply Safe. There's a line between home security and a neighborhood surveillance dragnet. You want to know who's at your door, not track every passer by walking their dog on the sidewalk. Simply Safe respects that boundary. It's why you can trust them with your home.
Speaker 2: I set up a simply Safe system and incredibly easy to do. I customized it on the website.
Speaker 1: Should you pick up a drill?
Speaker 2: I didn't even think of a drill, didn't even need a drill. It just sticks right on there and once you have it set up, the app is really great. The customer support was always great. It really does give you peace of mind. You know, like security can be expensive. It costs a billion dollars to secure the White House ballroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not your house though, no much less much less, But simply say, if you can customize your system to fit your needs, it ships fast directly to your door. The app guide it's set up is simple and there's no drilling required. People are really upset about the drilling. Huh, ain't the drill important?
Speaker 2: No holes?
Speaker 1: So you can install and arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras and twenty four to seven professional monitoring. It's backed by Simply Safe twenty four to seven professional monitoring agents who dispatch emergency help, win you need it. Over five million people value and trust simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring, and your first month is free. Just visit simply safe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simply safe dot com slash crooked. There's no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 2: It's a new show from The Guardian called Stateside with Kai and Carter. The idea is pretty simple. Slow things down, focus on one story, ask the questions you're probably already yelling at your phone, and by the end actually feel like you understand what's going on. They're digging into everything from authoritarianism to the rise of people dating AI chatbots to what's really behind the latest mission to the Moon. No fluff, no pretending everything is fine, just smart conversations and sharp reporting. The show pulls from the Guardian's global newsroom. So you're getting covered across politics, culture, climate, and more, plus conversations with big thinkers and newsmakers. Join Kai writ and Carter Sherman three times a week as they try to make sense of all this. New episodes drop every Monday, Wednesday and Friday starting May thirteenth. You can watch on YouTube or listen wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Pod Save America.
Speaker 3: I'm John Favrum, I'm John Love It Tommy Detur.
Speaker 1: On today's show, We're going to break down the new gold standard New York Times poll that shows Democrats opening an eleven point lead in the midterms. Let's have that election today. Huh please hurry up. We'll also talk about how Trump's revenge tour came for a Louisiana seditor Bill Cassidy and is coming for Congressman Thomas Massey and Tuesday's Kentucky primary. There's also some fresh new corruption to discuss, Trump's new taxpayer funded two billion dollar slush fund he'll use to reward his favorite criminals, and revelations that he's basically been day trading in his spare time thirty seven hundred stock trades in just three months. That's so many trades, so many trades.
Speaker 2: Advice, just put it in an index.
Speaker 1: N just kidding. Yeah. We also got a new Iran Taco brewing and renewed interest in Cuba and Greenland, which is just one of the reasons. We'll also dive into the latest debate over how much Democrats and commentators should be talking about old Man Trump losing.
Speaker 2: His marbles speaking old man check out four US. Ever, you're just gonna sit here with this. Guy's got his fucking this fucking nerds got his glasses off waiting.
Speaker 3: For you to do it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I scratched my eye. That's don't don't. Don't get used to it everyone hopefully, But first before we start, tickets for Cricket Con twenty twenty six are on sale now for everyone. Come hang with us November fifth through seventh in Washington, d C. For live shows, panels, and a big fun party to celebrate and or mourn the twenty twenty six mid terms. See I added mourn because because Dan Dan so superstitious. You know, Cricket's Friends of the Pod get a subscriber only priced so if you want a subscription loaded with exclusives, and a discounted Cricket Con tick. Be sure to join Friends of the Pod. There's all kinds of benefits that come with that. No more ads when you're listening to any of these any of your favorite cricket pods. Plus you get exclusive subscriber only shows like Polar Coaster, Dan Pfeiffer, Only Friends, which is our extra episode OF's like our secret extra episode of Pods Save America that we do, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Substack newsletters everything, get the tickets for Cricket Con and all the info you need at Cricketcon dot com. Go to Crooked dot com slash friends to subscribe to Friends of the Pod, and we can't wait to see you at Cricket Con.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump and the Republican Party have been shitting the bed in nearly every poll for the last few months, But now Nate Cohne and the New York Times have come down from the mountaintop with a stone tablet that confirms how screwed they are. Trump's approvals at thirty seven percent in their new poll. That is a record low for him and for both terms in all New York Times Siena polls and midterm voters also favored Democrats by eleven points fifty to thirty nine percent over Republicans. President's biggest liability in the poll remains his handling of the cost of living, which his political strategists keep hoping he'll pretend to care about his evidenced by Monday's White House event on his discount drug website, trump RX. Let's see how it went.
Speaker 4: I think, outside of maybe a cure itself, it's the biggest thing to happen to healthcare and everything having to do with medical and any in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 2: There's never been anything like this.
Speaker 1: Really sold it. Huh what did that really sold it? Trump RX is the biggest thing in meda medical.
Speaker 2: The biggest thing in medical, biggest thing in medical. You can tell because there's a doctor here.
Speaker 3: You could tell you didn't like the event because he cut it really short, because it kind of looked like it looked like Ted X Toledo or something. It was just like Joe Gebbi in front of a giant screen.
Speaker 1: The whole thing was embarrassing. Mark Cuban was there. Trump OURX. By the way, it's not a platform for buying medications. Do you know that it's just it's a facilitator. You go to the website, it directs you to the other websites to buy the drugs, and sometimes it gives you coupons, just redirects you. Yeah, basically, and then and then Amazon and cubans thing what's what's his thing called cost plus drug cost plus drugs. You know, they work with the federal government to have some discounts on some extra drugs. But also if you have insurance doesn't help you, meaning it's cheaper to buy the drugs if you have insurance because the insurance covers the drugs. So really it's for people who don't have insurance sometimes get some discounts on some drugs. So it's not a bad thing. But it's not a it's not weird, it's not it's certainly not the biggest thing since medical No. What stood on to you guys in the New York Times poll.
Speaker 2: So whenever we're talking about a poll that looks good for Democrats, you got to go down and find the part where it's terrible for Democrats. And there's a this was a new one. I think they said, are you satisfied or dissatisfied? With the Democratic Party. And I'm used to seeing that voters maybe really unhappy with Republicans and planning to vote for Democrats, but then are ultimately not super satisfied with Democrats either. I was surprised to see that, uh, seven percent of people say they are dissatisfied with the Democratic Party and only five percent are very satisfied, which is a third of the number of people that are very satisfied with Trump. And I get being look, Republicans are in power. This is representing people that hate Democrats. It's represented by people that wish Democrats would fight more. It's represented by Democrats. Everyboney who has a criticism of the Democrats represented in that number. But the fact that.
Speaker 1: Where would you be in that when someone asks you I would I would be somewhat.
Speaker 2: I'm unsatisfied, baby, I'm unsatisfied.
Speaker 1: And then but then when they gave me the generic ballot thing, I'd be a percent right there.
Speaker 2: But just the fact that, like right now, if this whole, big, beautiful country of ours, there's only five percent of people that just love the Democratic Party. Like we talk a lot about the base, it's like we don't really have you know, Trump has a base.
Speaker 1: That is, who are those people?
Speaker 2: Right? Who are those five percent? I love everything they're doing. Can't wait to see them on tour.
Speaker 1: Like some of some of the staffers. Maybe I don't know relatives, a couple of folks on Blue Sky h. I don't know. So anyway, that was that's what stood out to you.
Speaker 2: That's it up to me. And then there was there was a number on AI that I thought was just interesting that only sixteen percent of people think AI is more good than bad. The vast majority are either undecided or think it's more bad than good.
Speaker 3: So it comes in a weekend where there's all these commencement addresses where students are booing the mere mention of AI to speak, which I love. You can tell there's a some of my foot there. Yes there is, Yes, there is, Tommy. Would you think I liked that? I didn't. I liked that. I noticed that sixty four percent in the Times pool said they think that going to war with Rom was the wrong decision, including seventy three percent of Independence. That is pretty clear cut. And it's not going to get better as this thing kind of drags out and the straight up home moves remains closed and the price of gas goes up seventy six percent. Rate economic conditions today is only fair or poor.
Speaker 1: That is quite bad.
Speaker 3: And then you know the glass half full thing of the Democratic Party was fifty percent say they will vote Democrat, thirty nine percent say they will vote Republican in the middle. So it's one of the better numbers of that nature. I think we've seen in a while.
Speaker 1: We've been saying Trump bad for so long now that when there's a poll this bad, it's sort of hard. It's almost like there's a there's a crying wolf thing, yeah, yeah, or like, you know, not Trump's I mean, Trump's always been bad, but like this is it for Trump things that the walls are closing in. But Nate Cone points out in his ride up of the poll, no president's approval rating has been under thirty eight percent for more than a few days in the last seventeen years, according to our average. Now we get Donald Trump, and then he realized seventeen years is George W. Bush, which just makes us really old. But that is the last president to be this unpopular for this long, Like it is the fact that this is this is worse than January sixth, Now for him.
Speaker 3: The economic indicator is just so bad. I mean, seventy six percent say they're concerned about their personal finance. Since the CBS bowl, sixty seven percent say they're stressed, Like both of those have been ticked up at the last year. Only twenty nine percent in the CBS the recent CBS pulse of the economy is good. Seventy seven percent say their income is not keeping up with inflation, so like gas prices are just killing everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah to me, you look at it too. What's hidden is just how many people have just they're done, right, You could look at this poll and it's basically almost half, not quite half the country. They don't approve on Iran, they don't approve on the economy, they don't approven cost of living, they don't prove on immigration. They are done. And the number of people who now say Trump has personally made their economic circumstances worse forty four percent, which has gone up by like eight points. It's the last time, so it's gone up from out of the third of the country, it's rising up to nearly half are no longer saying just I don't just disapprove, like I'm feeling personally that he's not doing what he said he was going to do. So that to me was stood out. One other things that said out just about what's happening with Iran that you know, we have a lot of internet debates about, you know, the anti Semitism and anti Zionism and the Democrat's position on Israel. Meanwhile, opposition to economic military sport to Israel has gone from thirty eight percent to fifty seven percent over the last two and a half to three year. Support has gone from fifty four percent to thirty seven percent.
Speaker 1: And so a lot of numbers Trump's approval and so a lot of hand or support for Israel, financial aid, support for Israel is the is just about as popular as Donald Trump in this country.
Speaker 2: And so this is not an argument that's being lost on the margins. And it's not an argument that's being lost based on who gets platformed and who doesn't. There's a huge shift that has happened. I think you can lay that at the feet of Benjamin and Yaho and Joe Biden and Donald Trump. But the sooner people make this less about the specific individuals they dislike, often with good reason, and more about the deeper shift that is happening. I think the sooner people can actually reckon with what is a real and lasting damage that has happened to America's.
Speaker 1: Relationship with ISRUMK Yeah, I mean actually has write a story this morning about So there's the horrific anti semitism being directed towards members of Congress and voicemails and threats and all that, and it's it's horrible, And I would just say that like it, I do think it's important to separate like like virulent anti semitism from people who are pro Israel and making the case for supporting Israel, like we I think we talked about this last week. But like Josh Gotnheimer's op ed about anti semitism, and my party has a problem too, Like it starts with talking about actual anti semitism and then halfway through it suddenly veers into Oh and also Democrats are voting against funding, you know, military aid to.
Speaker 2: Israel, which is a major position.
Speaker 3: That's that should not be in the same op ed well and says that he wants to wean off military support for Israel.
Speaker 1: So yeah, right, I wish I would say. The only other thing that stood out to me is on the generic ballot. There's real movement just within the Times poll right, because every poll is it's a single pole snapshot in time. But you take a poll over time and it was D plus two to D plus five for the beginning part of Trump's term second term in the time Siana polls, and now it's D plus eleven, Like it's a big shift. And then when they take it to only almost certain or very likely voters, it's D plus fourteen. So even that D plus eleven is like, may not be what we ultimately see because you know, the most motivated voters end up turning out in a midterm more so than in a general election. So that's it's pretty big, and it's late. May you know, not a ton of time left?
Speaker 3: Knock on? Would yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, look Trump still it was time to become a different person.
Speaker 1: The bigger news from the White House on Monday was the announcement that President Trump's Justice Department is settling Donald Trump's lawsuit against the IRS for one point seven seven six billion dollars. Get it, get it, get it. That is money that will be taken directly from taxpayers and funneled into a slush fund that apparently exists to pay Trump supporters who were investigated or indicted or convicted during the Biden administration, or I guess none of those things, because there's really no guardrails whatsoever. It seems like they did this so Trump wouldn't be attacked for directly pocketing taxpayer. But I'm not sure this move is as clever as they think. What about you, guys?
Speaker 3: This is particularly like this is a Trump's second term is a political smash and grab job where he and his family and the people around him and people do his bidding, just take what they want, get rewarded. They take it from taxpayers, They trade on polymarket, they front run the stock market. And I think the fact that Trump is doing this before the mid terms just shows that he doesn't give a shit about politics anymore. It's all about money, and it's all about building monuments to himself and great shating, you know which, enriching himself. And they made an end run around the judge in this case, and they just cut a deal with another political appointee that he had named to create the slush fund. And do you think they thought it was cute saying it was one point seven seven six? Doesn't that just make the whole thing feel like made up and arbitrary more than anything else.
Speaker 1: They think it's like, oh, we've got patriotism in America's two fifty is coming up, and so if we call it a patriotic fund for patriots, then no one will no one will get mad at it.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't a fund to pay out restitution to people harmed be based on like metrics.
Speaker 2: And not the number coming from someone with how many how much earnings did you lose when you were at the Capitol on January sixth?
Speaker 1: When you're right, you know, I will say Congress passed a law to give the Department of Justice basically on unlimited fund for restitution for anyone who sues the federal government. And so that's how they ended up doing this. So it's like it is a one of those technically legal but extremely corrupt things that we have because of a stupid law that was passed that no one. No one thought to themselves, maybe they'll be an administration that just has the fund being unlimited because the president will sue himself, will sue.
Speaker 2: It's unversed in fairness to people that wrote that law. You would also assume that if it were to be so completely and obviously embrazenly abused by a president who's basically just going into the treasury and stuffing his pockets and leaving that there might be a Congress that would care about that, which we we don't have. Just like to Tommy's point, the judge was like, Hey, before this lawsuit by Trump against his own imaministration, which is unprecedented, that's being administered by his personal attorney, former personal attorney at the Department of Justice, I want you to come in and explain to me how you're actually parties in opposition, how you're not on the same side of this thing.
Speaker 1: And they're like, this is like in the deadline's May twentieth, that's when now it's May eighteenth.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 2: Basically proving the point that the judge was worried about. Uh, they have decided to reach a reach a deal beforehand. Now the Justice Department, Uh, if it was actually advocating on behalf of taxpayers, the American people, which is what it's supposed to do, it would fight this thing to the bidder end, or at the very least settle for zero dollars, which has happened in not exactly similar but cases that are akin to this in the past. But instead of doing this, yeah, doing this.
Speaker 1: Exattle the same case, his taxpayer info was leaked and he settled for zero zero a public apology from the IRS.
Speaker 2: Because he didn't pay and you know that is a that is something that could have come of this, but it said no. They are proving that they are in cahoots here by doing this kind of a settlement we have. They're using a ridiculous justification based on something they happen in the Obama administration, which even conservative legal scholars have have have batted down because that had actual specific people who were harmed by an actual specific policy, un like this. My pitch is James Comy, Tiss, James Lamonica mcg ivor Lisa Cook, Jerome Powell. They should all be submitting when this thing comes out, they should put their names in to get money from this fund and if they do not receive affair hearing, they should sue the federal government. Like there are people that are being politically prosecuted by the government. As far as we know publicly, nobody on that list would not be kind of at least potentially it included in the people hurt that could receive from this seventeen hundred and seventy six.
Speaker 1: My pitch is, no one gets it. Give us the fucking money back, that's our money.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: To beic clear, I don't think James Comy should get money from the thorough government, but I think we should take this put this thing through its pace.
Speaker 1: This is fuck it. Yeah, well they're not going to I mean, Trump appoints the board, it's five people, he gets to hire and fire the board. It's just gonna be five crony audition out money like this is. This thing doesn't even have to be like oh and here was my case and it was tried incorrectly. Like someone just can go to fucking whoever Todd Blanche puts on the commission and be like, hey, I want ten thousand dollars because I donated to the president and I'm mad that Joe Biden sent the FBI after me. Do you have proof of that? No, but I just know they were watching me.
Speaker 2: It's crazy that, I mean, like this is it's just they're at the point where they're just saying, we're gonna take money from the treasury, give it to whoever, give it to our friends that particularly.
Speaker 1: People just don't care who are maybe criminals. To let everyone else know that if you commit a crime on Trump's behalf, not only do you not go to jail, but perhaps you might get some compensation for it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That He was asked at the pres Commerce today, could this potentially go to people who committed violence in January sixth? He said, Oh, it's going to be up to the committee. Absolutely, those people would be eligible. Could totally receive money from this one. He pretends he doesn't know about it.
Speaker 3: It's like okay.
Speaker 1: Also, it's a danger going forward too, as we're heading into twenty twenty eight and Donald Trump and Jade Vance whoever the fuck it is, tries to stay in the White House after they lose an election and a bunch of people do their bidding for them to help them out. What do you think they're gonna think They're gonna be like, well, if he stays in there and I help him out, I'm gonna be okay, I'm gonna get a pardon, might get paid. Great.
Speaker 2: You guys are only my idea that James Comy tries to get into that fun.
Speaker 3: Come on, yeah, I mean, I see you're saying I think he wants in shells yea, and his shell based crime should apply.
Speaker 1: Potze America is brought to you by Smalls. Smalls makes fresh, human grade food for cats. It's made from the same stuff you or I would eat, but formulated specifically to help cats thrive. Cats are obligate carnivores who need lots of real meat to stay healthy, but most cat foods out there use meat byproducts and cut their food with cheap grains, fillers, and artificial ingredients. Boy, you don't want that.
Speaker 2: You don't want that.
Speaker 1: You don't want cheap grains.
Speaker 2: Or fillers, not for your feline friends.
Speaker 1: Basically stuff that isn't great for your cat. Big pet food, oh, big pet food. They do this because it's cheaper to make, but what they save on cost your cat pays for with their health.
Speaker 2: With Smalls, I just put I took a scoop for me and a scoop for my cat. Chesterfield and Chesterfield we said, we sit across the table, I light a candle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your first looking shinier. Smalls is different. Their fresh recipes are over eighty percent animal protein and they never use fillers or artificial ingredients.
Speaker 2: Chesterfield has never been happier.
Speaker 1: Their food is so healthy that eighty eight percent of cat parents say that after feeding Smalls, they notice that their cat has better digestion, is softer and shinier what did I say, and has more energy to play because it's actually good for cats. If you want to invest in your cat's health, Smalls is giving you sixty percent off your cat's first order, plus free shipping and free treats for life when you go to smalls dot com slash crooked. That's sixty percent off your first order plus free shipping and free treats for life when you head to smalls dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 2: Pot Dave America has brought you by Zipper Cruder. When you're trying to hire, you want somebody who's qualified, but you also want somebody who's excited to do the job. You know, they can't. You can't just have somebody who has like all the right skills, but they and well you know then it's like they o you owe them a favor, you know what I mean? That's that's how I behave, you know' that's my role here. If you're hiring, you want a candidate who's passionate about the role, but you can't get that insight from a resume unless you post your job on ZipRecruiter. Ziprecruiter's powerful matching technology finds quality candidates quickly, and zippercruiter is a new feature that shows you the most interested qualified candidates first, so you meet the right people faster. Candidates can tell you in their own words why they're interested in your job, no wonder. Zipprecruiter is the number one rated hiring site based on G two. Find candidates who really want your job on ZipRecruiter. Four out of five employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate within.
Speaker 3: The first day.
Speaker 2: Try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com, slash cricket that ZipRecruiter dot com slash crookeet meet your match on ZipRecruiter.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Trump allies getting away with crimes, what do you guys make of Jared Polis, governor of Colorado, Democrat, commuting the prison sentence of election denier Tina Peters. She is the former county clerk from Mesa County, Colorado. She was in jail for orchestrating a security breach of her county's voting system. Trump has been publicly and privately pressuring Polus to pardon her completely. They also tried to like transfer her from state prison to federal prison so that Trump could pardon her. Didn't do that. But now Polus has commuted her sentence. He was sentenced to nine years. He cut it to four and a half years, with parole next month.
Speaker 3: I have to be honest. I know this is not a great answer for the purposes of a talk show. I just couldn't give less of a shit. I know people are like outraged about this. I read jvl's long piece on this. I don't give a shit. I don't care. I have so much to be outraged or to worry about. I just can't even get myself to engage with this person. I might even go a step further. I think Polus might have done the right thing. Sentence down.
Speaker 2: Wow, or I gotta go excuse me, boys, if you an email, be at the fucking bullwork where the real lives are now go on.
Speaker 1: I'm not I don't feel strongly. I'm more into I'm closer to Tommy's camp. But like, here's the thing. She was sentenced to nine years, right, so she's a non violent first time offender, and three appellate judges who were appointed by a Democrat. They were Democratic judges. They all just ruled that they threw out the sentence, the nine year sentence, so that was never going to happen, and they recently threw it out. Is because they thought that the judge, basically, in giving her a nine year sentence as opposed to a smaller sentence, violated her free speech rights, because the judge basically said, the reason I'm making your sentence longer is because you spouted election conspiracy theory, which is a horrible thing to do, spouting elections conspiracy theories. But that is protective First Amendment speech. I think we have to be consistent.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but that's but hold on, hold on. I appreciate that. But we understand that if someone were to say, hit somebody with their car and then publicly say that bitch deserved it, that that is free speech of the right to say that. But it does potentially inform the sentence.
Speaker 3: Sorry does it?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 2: Of course it does. Of course, we allow remorse in people's uh uh uh motivations and feelings about the crimes they committed, what they've learned from it.
Speaker 1: That's the well she was she was, I mean, but the no remorse thing was already factored in because she didn't she she was not remorseful right when she was sentenced. But that's what he didn't say, you didn't show remorse, He said, it's because you have these these theories, not.
Speaker 2: Just first that there are we take people's uh uh motivations and and and expressions. I agree that people are the right to believe elections are stolen. I'm just saying it's a little bit more than just first continue.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I guess I'm saying, if we believe that that there is an incarceration problem in this country, and that people are incarcerated for too long, and that prison is it is a deterrent, and yes, people should be jailed and they should be kept from society, but that unusually long sentences are bad, especially for first time non violent offenders, Like don't we have to extend that belief to people whose political beliefs we detest.
Speaker 2: So I would say the answer is we should allow a process to play out that she would have been re sentence. Why is why did this become a big public controversy? It is because the President United States is publicly pressuring the governor of Colorado to commute Tina peter sentence. Now, look, I am sure Jared Poulis would say that the pressure had nothing to do with it. Obviously the fact that Donald Trump was threatening Colorado unless he did something right. Donald Trump was saying this woman should be pardoned. He is saying it's some kind of press pushback against Trump, that it's only a commutation. I like, she has kind of done the bare minimum of acknowledging that what she did was wrong. But if you go to her Twitter feed, her allies were saying as recently as I believe last week, I have to go look the exact timing that if Trump that if that, if Tina Peters isn't released, Trump should invade the state of Colorado. It is a non violent.
Speaker 1: Effen Yeah, I mean, I don't think that should happen.
Speaker 2: Well, right, but it just it goes to like the the the reason somebody who even commits a Look, there are a lot of first time offenders who do something that are part of a that are part of something so dangerous that you have to say, wait a second, Yes, is a non violent offense. But it goes to the core of what we are a society or the safety of our democracy, and so he has given into that pressure from Trump rather than let the process play out. So that I think is like a huge problem. Like it just I don't know that we'd be having this conversation if if Donald Trump hadn't personally intervened to try to get the governor to do something, and then it seems as though he did it.
Speaker 3: After listening to this thoughtful debate, I still don't give a shit, you know, I might care less actually than one. I would say that it is interesting.
Speaker 1: I would say that it's yeah, it's more interesting to me, and that like I think that I think he might have been the right thing. I do think. I would like to hear Jared Poulis answer the question why didn't you just wait for the resentencing of the three appellate judges? Like what made you not want to just wait for their decision if they were going to throw out the sentence anyway? I would like to know that question.
Speaker 2: I'd also say too that the Republican prosecutor was against this and said that you should talk to the people that were impacted by Tina Peters schemes before you'd make the decisions the.
Speaker 1: Cost prosecutor or well that's how prosecutors are, but community. But yeah, there's also a defendive and plag guilty to almost the same charges in the Georgia Rico case and was sentenced no time and probation. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, there's all kinds of unfairnesses and unequal application of sentences all across the country all the time. Like, yeah, that if that were the case, you go and say, oh, well there's somebody else who was given less. You can commute most most sentences that way.
Speaker 3: But I think look, in.
Speaker 1: This one computed it. It wasn't just her he commuted like you know, it's like thirty five or fifty commutations or something like that in the same day.
Speaker 2: I think he has the answer for whether or not he gave into Trump's political pressure. And we are in a moment where like Donald Trump is threatening elections again, like this is a grave threat to the republic. Why does our generosity, our sense of justice, our our empathy turned for Tina Peters when there are so many others who have who deserve it.
Speaker 1: That's all. Yeah, And I don't think it should. I don't think it should I don't think we should give be generous or empathetic at all. I think we should just be like, what is the what is the standard? Like is there a process to reach the decision? And it didn't meet a standard? I do think that like criticizing polls for it is completely fine, Like you can criticize them for it, you can say it's fine. Some people are and people who I like in politics too and support or like calling for his impeachment over this, And I'm like, I don't. I just I do not think it rises to the level.
Speaker 3: Of everybody's at nine all the time these days.
Speaker 1: I can't get there. I can get there, I can get I can get to like your criticism, for sure. I can't get to he should be impeached over this. I don't know if you guys saw that. Trump's latest financial disclosures show that he and or his financial advisors made more than thirty seven hundred stock trades in the first quarter of this year, bought one million dollars each in companies with business before his administration, like Nvidia, Oracle, Microsoft, Boeing, and Pallenteer, which he bought right before he praised the company on truth social in a post that, if you recall, even included the company's tick our symbol. Now, I know this may look suspicious, but the White House did say that Trump's asked that are in a blind trust man by his children, so there are quote no conflicts of interest. Seems fine, right?
Speaker 3: This is did they really I thought there was no blind trust. I thought they had already previously said there wasn't a blind either way managed your children.
Speaker 1: It's a blind trust that doesn't yet that's not howl like.
Speaker 3: Again, this is part of the political smash and grab job. I mean, they're making money everywhere. It's this is crazy like so, Bloomberg reported Trump had trades that involved Tesla, Nvidia, Apple, Meta, Visa City, Boeing, Qualcom, and ge Top Executives from all of those companies were on his trip to Beijing to meet with Chinese President Chijinbang. So you don't think he's getting insider information having that access, talking to them, cutting deals with them. Some of the stock trades included up to six hundred and eighty grand worth of Eli Lilly. Right as the administration was preparing policies that would benefit their GLP one business, he took a huge position a couple huge positions in Nvidia right before they announced major news. There was one five million dollar position a week before they announced a partnership with Meta. Then there was a half a million to a million dollar position a week before the Commerce Department announced some you know, determinations to do with Nvidia. They're buying and selling Intel stock, which the US government took a ten percent stake in the company. This is insanity.
Speaker 1: He's such a incident.
Speaker 3: Paul Pelosi somewhere is like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: I could have been doing this so much better.
Speaker 2: Like we're sort of pat every single Jesus. I'm like, Jim Kramer, Now do you see the clip of.
Speaker 1: Jim Can we drop it in here?
Speaker 2: Let's drop it in The president's been trading some Intel in the quarter. Yeah, yeah, I put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you need to trade you got nothing.
Speaker 2: But yeah yeah, whoo yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, don't worry. We're not having technical difficulties here, everybody.
Speaker 2: What's funny about the Jim Kramer clip is that it's like people are like, oh, wow, he's so he's stammering because he can't figure out what to say about this. But when I was watching it was like, is he stammering because he can't forget to say about this or is he making a joke about how it's so beyond the payout? But he doesn't want to be critical of Trump in this moment.
Speaker 3: Like I didn't know what what? What are we?
Speaker 1: What are we?
Speaker 2: Why is he stammering? He knows what's going on but head But we're no live in rent free inside of Jim Kramer's head. But the like there, we're at a new level of brazen corruption because every step along the way, nobody has stopped him to get to this point, right, like he can't. The thing that I find stunning about all this is that there's no like the level of brazenness is going up, but the dollar amount isn't. Always it's like why are we doing five hundred grand stock trades? Billion dollar crypto theft and the watches? Like why like why you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like that bothers me.
Speaker 1: It just it's just all of it's like left over from the old world, right you had to just do corruption well, like the watch, the hotel rings, we're getting you the Trump phones, but they're not coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that part doesn't make sense. But the aggregate stock trades was a range between two hundred and eleven and six hundred and eighty seven million dollars, So that's a pretty good quarter.
Speaker 1: It's also like the just the volume of trading. Bloomberg interviewed this guy, Eric Dighton, who's the president manager director at at the Wealth Alliance, and he said, I'm baffled. In the forty plus years of my time on Wall Street, this is an unusual amount of trading by any standards. We need to see the actual trades to try and understand why anyone would want to do that much trading.
Speaker 2: So this is just like the practical, like the practical way in which this is being done. Like is there a team that is doing this? Is it suns through their Like it feels like they've got like like Christopher Malta Sante trying to like push what this days Like he's got like some fucking back office in New Jersey somewhere with computers.
Speaker 3: It's just Baron Trump in the outer Oval with a shitload of adderall and like the experien Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just like minority reporting it like I can see the future. I know it's going to happen at the Commerce meeting next week. I know that I have the BLS down.
Speaker 1: That's just because he's got the briefing book.
Speaker 3: Yes, but again, they took like seven transactions related to Boeing, one between one to five million dollars. Like the biggest deliverable of the China trip was to get the Chinese to buy a bunch of Boeing planes. And by the way, the announcement was so underwhelming that the stock went down because they did a shitty job. And we're still uses proof that c we see it was a good announcement. It's like, yeah, you got it, tried to trade on inside information. It just turns out you suck at diplomacy. That was the problem.
Speaker 1: You're good at the crimes, you're bad diplomacy to deliver on that show, all right. So Trump's also doing his best to drag the Republican Party down with him. On Saturday, he sent yet another message that dissent will not be tolerated when his chosen primary challenger, Congressman Julia Letlow, took out Louisiana Senator Bill Cassidy, who sin was voting to convict Trump in the January sixth impeachment trial. Cassidy went down in flames. He got third in Louisiana's primary, the first time an incumbent senator has come in lower than second place since nineteen forty four. Trump's next target is Thomas Massey, who's trying to unseat in Tuesday's Kentucky primary. Massy has been the strongest and kind of the only Republican in the House, breaking with Trump on Epstein, Iran and the Big Beautiful Bill. Trump has been posting about Massey NonStop. I think right before recorded he did like a a video from the Oval, which is very legal and normal, Uh, to just to just tell people to vote against Thomas Massey.
Speaker 2: We worried run the midterms on the Hatch actuy, right, Yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: He says he's he's grabbing the two billion dollars for his slush fund and then trading on Nvidio and Boeing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pete Hegseth was doing an event in Kentucky today. His personal capacity and his personal capacity. And then Trump announces that he's delayed an imminent military assault on Iran that was supposed to happen tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was Peka to do?
Speaker 3: This seems like bad timing. Becus like you need him for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't. Maybe maybe who's gonna drink the boots to early to say what will happen in the in the Massi race. But it certainly seems like Massy himself is staying loose.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: He is on Sunday doing his best Trump impression.
Speaker 2: Whatever, call him. I got a schedule a minute for the first thing.
Speaker 4: He tells me every time I call him, Messy your shot, Cookie, You went to m I T You know, my uncle is Professor John G.
Speaker 3: Trump. He was in one years.
Speaker 2: It's a record.
Speaker 4: And you know, I'm into work, which is basically the hardest school.
Speaker 3: In the world too.
Speaker 1: That's terrible. You know, I kind of wanted to lose now that was. I was rooting for him until just then He's going for it, you know, put that accent Trump depression. You know, don't don't do it unless you really feel good.
Speaker 2: There's just too many people doing it and it's too too it's too big a target.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Anyone have thoughts on the primary? Yeah, look, I mean, how big of a deal.
Speaker 3: On Bill Cassidy? Like fuck that guy, you know, like he thought he could like appease Maga by voting for Robert of Kennedy Junr and ended up kind of like selling his soul and his credentials as a doctor and being worst of all worlds. And he knew better and we know it because he told us as much before he flip flopped. And so would I rather have him in the Senate than his replacement, Yes, I would, But ultimately I don't think it'll make a big difference. Thomas Massey is a different story. Like he's the reason we have the Epstein files because he worked with Rocana to get him released. He's a principal vote against wars and militarism and lots of other things. I don't agree with him on everything, and on you know, like you don't share the same worldview. I don't send out, you know, Christmas cards with me and my kids with machine guns like I think he did one time. But yeah, you know, it would be a big loss. And I think it tells you everything you need to know about Donald Trump's political worldview that he will not lift a finger to help his party build, but he will take down anyone who criticizes him. It's all about punishing his own critics and the culture personality and protecting his personal power and not about the party or doing anything right.
Speaker 2: I think he's far more passionate about defeating his enemies than he is about helping his friends. Yeah, with Cassidy, you go back to that, to him approving RFK Junior and accepting his fake assurances and his private meetings, pretending that RFK didn't believe what he obviously believed in Like, no, you can't. You can't sell half your soul.
Speaker 3: He doesn't work like that.
Speaker 2: They're not divide him. They're not divisible in that way. And so these guys that end up being reluctantly for Trump, they don't. They're not better politicians. They're just worse whores. You know, So, are you know good Rid's I suppose.
Speaker 1: I will say this is there's a lot being made because we had Indiana and then Cassidy and then and then Massy. But this is sort of the last gasp of this.
Speaker 3: Well what are you like?
Speaker 1: This is Trump's last midterms, right, and do we think he's going to spend He's going to be spending time in twenty eight going around doing primary trologies? They maybe, but like also does it lose its force at some point?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like that Trump's like he's already a lame duck, Like he clearly has the juice to do it now, but as we get to twenty eight and then beyond that, like what is this is what we learned from that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, he's a vindictive prick who only cares about himself.
Speaker 1: And you know, and I think we also learned that, like you know, the nothing's breaking, the fever in the Republican Party. The party's broken, and you have massive that You've just got to defeat them at every level because all the ones who are left are completely loyal to deer leader. And that's about that. And I do think also he might have he might have fucked himself a little because now you've got angry Cassidy who's still got votes left to take between now and the end of the year, mass mass he loses. Tillus has already been doing it, and so they can make his life more difficult. And I do wonder now, between now and November, if this makes it like harder for Republicans to break away from Trump even though primaries are over, because they'll they're they're gonna they worry that they're gonna get punished.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's just Look, it remains sort of extraordinary. Right Bill Cassidy like, uh could not persuade his own voters. You would have voted him multiple times in the past to stick with him once Trump turned right, Like, it just tells you telling about the vote, the voters showing up in these Republican primaries and what they what they want, And there is no the fact that Cassidy was a vote for impeachment and that Trump had fully turned against him. There was nothing he could do to convince them that he was worth saving. Nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, PADS America is brought to you by HIMS. Edy is way more common than most guys think. Millions of guys deal with it at some point, and that's exactly why HYMS offers a straightforward way to handle it. HYMS connects you with licensed healthcare providers online, giving you simple access to legitimate ED treatments from home. I want some illegitimate d treatment for right in my office.
Speaker 2: The other day I saw John googling a real Chinese rhino horn. I thought, Jesus, that's terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same on you. No awkward appointments with Hyms, no pharmacy lines to see a pharmacy line out the door. Everyone's looking for their boner pills. Yeah, it's wild right. Just complete a simple online inte and a provider will review your information to determine if treatment is right for you.
Speaker 2: If you're to pick up the medicine for people who have a too big of a penis.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, mine has lasted more than three hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If prescribed, your treatmentships directly to your door in discrete packaging that includes sil dentifhil.
Speaker 2: I know how to pronounce that for the record, thank you, Yeah, that's what I figured out. Pundits on it, Oh, it's on it.
Speaker 3: Not for a rectile this function.
Speaker 1: It's also heart medicine, also known as generic for viagra. There we go available through hymns it up to ninety five percent less than the brand name version. And if that option isn't right for you, there are additional treatment options available so you can find what works best for your body. It's straightforward, transparent design to make getting care feel easy. To get simple online access to personalized, affordable care for ed, weight loss and more, visit hymns dot com slash crooked. That's hymns dot com slash crooked for your free online visit hymns dot com slash crooked prescription required.
Speaker 2: See website for details and important safety information. Sil dentifhil is the generic version of Viagra. Viagra is a registered trademark of Viatrice Specialty LLC. Hymns is not affiliated with or endorsed by Viatrice.
Speaker 1: It's been a bit since we talked about the stalemate in Iran. Trump posted on Sunday that quote, the clock is ticking for Iran to make a deal, but by Monday the clock apparently restarted. Trump posted that the US quote will not be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow aka Tuesday, the day you're listening to this, because the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE asked him to hold off due to serious negotiations that are now taking place. Trump did add that the US is prepared to attack Iran quote on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable deal is not reached. On Monday. It was also reported that Iran sent its latest peace proposal through Pakistan to the US, which the White House seems likely to reject, even as the Pentagon in Israel are quote engaged in intense preparations the largest since the ceasefire took effect for the possible resumption of attacks against Iran. According to The New York Times, what do you make of the back and forth here, Tommy? Like any chance that Trump's latest threat to destroy Iran got them closer to a deal, scare them into it?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. But can we just talk about these statements where he named checks a bunch of autocrats. They're so weird, you don't have to do that. But he's always like on behalf of the great and highly respected field Marshal Assam Munyear, I've decided not to like terminate Iran. You know what.
Speaker 1: The delivery date for that plane is supposed to be the fourth, but he once moved up for his birthday for the kuitar, so he wants the guitaris to get that plane there fast.
Speaker 2: It's the same way that he does the like, you know, personality stuff with g Like he enjoys the idea that governing doesn't involve anyone except the people in the room, Like there's no people decided, right, They're just great men making big decisions together at a collaboration and friendship. And so he's not doing it for the good of the country. He's doing it because he was He has this great rapport with these leaders.
Speaker 3: The Pakistani's in particular, like they cut a big crypto deal with the World Liberty Financial so that's why he likes them. But like, you do five seconds of research into the great and respected Field Marshal and you find the UK authorities have charged him with torture and crimes against humanity. That's a guy who's like name checking. But regardless of course they're No, I don't think they're any closer to a deal. I like, I don't know. I assume we're in the same place. Iron thinks they have a lot of leverage because they can close the trade oh horor moves. They know Trump is weakened politically, they know that he wants out of this, he doesn't want to go back to war, and so they're gonna wait for the United States to walk back some of the more maximuist positions or just get sick of the ship to move on.
Speaker 2: Just to imagine, it's sort of some sort of Iranian underling kind of going down the stairs into the into the bunker where the where Then the recuperating Ayatola is like pointing at the Ciena numbers and saying like, look, look we got them, We got them right where we're got they come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and cross tabs Iran.
Speaker 3: There's all these leaks still, Like Lebron reportedly has up to seventy five percent of its missile stockpile, all of it's basically almost all of its infrastructure along the Straight Oh, Hormoves is operational for them to shut it down so they could always make things worse straight.
Speaker 1: Up for her. Moves also now has its own Twitter account. Doesn't see that, Yeah, like Carl the fog in San Francisco. No, Yeah, that's that they're calling it, you know, something more official. But it's like the Iran is the Iranian government, you know. Yeah, No, They've just made an official Twitter account so we can get updates from the Straight.
Speaker 3: Just personifying the strainings. Yeah, that's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: With like sort of red green yellow ladder of red like sort of when you get the like Sigolerts in like California traffic, it's like, oh my god, the Straighter Moves is red today. Fuck, I'm gonna be honey, I'm gonna be light.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have traffic helicopters over reporting on the nines and five. Uh NBC report last week, the administration is considering changing the name of the war from Operation Epic Fury to Operations Sledgehammer. We have to get a little more phallic again or something else entirely in order to quote effectively restart the clock with Congress. Is that how it works? New operation name? Now they can't get you no. Now you can do whatever wars you want.
Speaker 3: Like it's I love this idea that you know, the World War Powers Act is such a weak piece of legislation that you can just do like a bureaucratic tweak and get around it. I mean, it's just crazy. It's obviously the same conflict, Like changing the name doesn't matter. Every price since next In has claimed that the War Powers Act is unconstitential. They all hate it, but it was enacted over Nixon's veto in nineteen seventy three, and so Congress has leverage here if they want to use it. Republicans refuse to use it. Maybe they'll man up now, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: Trump also wants us to know that he's not just focused on wars far away from home. He's focused on wars right in our own backyard. Still, there have been a bunch of rumblings about the long rumored regime change move in Cuba. Sources told The ap last week that the administration is looking to indict former Cuban president Rol Castro, brother of Fidel, even though he's no longer in power. Then over the weekend, Markapudo reported that, according to classified US intel, Cuba has over three hundred drones and has recently considered launching them against US military targets and even Key West Florida, which could serve as a handy pretext for an invasion. Cuba's current president mcgal Diaz Canal responded on social media on Monday, writing the quote Cuba poses no threat, nor does it have aggressive plans or intentions against any country, including the US, and that a US attack would quote trigger a blood. What do you make of the Cuba stuff? It seems like he's, uh, it seems like he's gearing up.
Speaker 3: You want to kick us off on Cuba.
Speaker 2: I don't think we should go to war with Cuba right now. In the in the Times poll there was a question that was something like when do you believe the US should launch war against countries that have not attacked US, and it was like seventy percent or like, don't do that. Never, don't do that unless someone has attacked us, we shouldn't go to war. Whatever Trump had come to believe about killing SOLEMANI, the getting Madia out of Venezuela and how fun that was. He sees the polls showing how unpopular the war in Iran is. I hope that that has at the very least chastened them from their kind of idea that they could be regime topplers without it kind of consuming their politics.
Speaker 3: But it's terrifying.
Speaker 2: It's serifying to imagine that they were gonna see what they're doing in the Middle East and decided that it needs to be broadly closer down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I'd read the story. It was such an obvious pretext to me. But I mean, look, I don't doubt the intel, like, is Cuba acquiring drones? Well, it's twenty twenty six. In every military has or is acquiring drones. It would be like not getting rifles or you know, machine guns in World War One. So it also says, like the intelligence suggests the Cubans would respond to a US attack with drones, which again I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say this axiou story, you have to get way down to reality check, which is three paragraphs four paragraphs from the bottom till you find out that, oh, by the way, that the intel is that it's retaliator.
Speaker 3: This is not a preemptive strike on Miami. This is what they would do if we attacked them, because we all know if they did a preempt strike on Miami that would be suicidal because you would fucking flatten the country.
Speaker 2: So I also just would like to think that if we are on the verge of going to war with another country, that the evidence would not be laundered through anonymous sources into a daily tip sheet that perhaps they're going.
Speaker 3: Well a word with that was the New York Times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry're right, You're right.
Speaker 3: I do think though every indicator light is flashing when it comes to possible regime change operations. Because there's this leak which creates the pretext of this being an imminent threat. There was CI director John Ratcliffe just went to Cuba and had this message from Trump. There is the indictment, the rumored indictment of Raul Castro, which was a very important part of the case for why they had to do what they did against Maduro, which was extract him from Venezuela and bring him to New York for prosecution. There's been all these reports of a huge increase of intelligence overflights by the US, So I would be very worried if I were a Cuban official. And meanwhile, if you're a Cuban human being or citizen, like the United States has a blockade on that's allowed no oil and gas into your country and people are starving to death. They have one to two hours of electricity a day, hospitals can't operate. What we're doing is criminal. It is absolutely evil. You're starving a population of people to death, and the most likely outcome is that the government collapses and there's a mass exodus in migration crisis to the United States, which MAGA has told us they do not want to happen. I don't understand what these lunatics are fucking doing here, but it is just it is utterly immoral, just a horrific, horrific policy.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: I think that the insane thought running through Donald Trump's head is his response to launching a disastrous war in Iran. That is unpopular that has cost US billions of dollars that it's spiked gas prices everywhere. Is I got to launch a war that's more popular and easy. I got to go back to the Venezuela model, because they all think that Venezuela was some big fucking success, right, and so it's like that was an easy one. So I got to get my mojo backed by going to invade Cuba now that Irun's a big fucking mess. The same.
Speaker 2: Did you see uh Rubio in his Maduro tracks?
Speaker 3: Yes, like this all just a game, it's all just trolling, it's all content.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was that flattering.
Speaker 2: No, I think it was. I talked to him to leave it, but I do think Maduro wore it better. But the and not even joking, like it just looked more comfortable, a like Rubio looked like the suit was wearing him. But I was looking at it as like why are you doing this?
Speaker 1: I forget? Like it was a little posed too.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like something there was a lot pos a lot post but but like I was looking at him like what what are we supposed to?
Speaker 3: Okay, look what is this meant?
Speaker 2: Top?
Speaker 3: The boy you're tough.
Speaker 2: You're wearing the same close like who what what? What was the message? And I now I'm like, oh, it was just about how how like what happened? We'll do this again, like we're going to do this? Is it a Cuba thing?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What the fuck was the outfit? What am I meant to take from this photo?
Speaker 3: Stephen Chung, Yeah, that's a good question. I agree with you. I do think Trump wants to change the channel and kind of get us onto a new topic that isn't Iran. That makes him sound tough again. I do think though, that Cuba falls in the Venezuela or on Cuba access of vivil bucket of like Yo Kan's telling him, sir, he'll be historic figure, Sir if you make big changes here and he's down, it will gardle your balls. Well, I mean, you don't need to do something else to get that. That's already happening, that's priced in. But you know, he's also in Florida surrounded by a bunch of very like rich hard line you know, Miami Cubans who you know have been waiting for this for a long time and you know want their real estate assets back on the Island. So I don't. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe it'll fucking Cubano or you know, like whatever, Wall Street will make up a new term for it. It's act stupid, but like it does seem like it's nerve wracking.
Speaker 1: Well, if he doesn't do Cuba, then there's always Greenland. Remember the critical national security issue of Greenland. A quick refresher that back in January, after threatening to invade, Trump did a taco and announced to the quote framework of a future deal with respect to Greenland and in fact, the entire Arctic region. Well, the New York Times is now reporting that the negotiations around that framework have Greenlandic officials quote worried as US proposals quote amount to a major imposition on greenland sovereignty. Yeah, I bet Greenland specifically concerned about Trump's June fourteenth birthday and July fourth is upcoming dates where Trump's attention could swing back around to them as he starts thinking about his legacy. Unfucking real. What do you think those concerns well founded? What do you think about the Greenlandic concerns expressed in the New York Times piece?
Speaker 2: Let's just pause and sit in the idea that the Danes are concerned that Trump will will get more bellicose around his birthday. That's where we're at.
Speaker 3: That's what we do.
Speaker 1: Turn in eighty, He's turned America's turn in two fifty, and they're not going to They're not going to be content with just the fireworks. No, No, you're gonna want to get to the Greenland.
Speaker 2: Somebody's got to give him a little. He wants to look. He wants to the great at the end of his name. He knows that that when the when, the when the Russians got more territory, they got to be the great. So we just got to find some fucking chunk of land somewhere.
Speaker 1: Cuba, get me Greenland. Just say Venezuela, the fifty first stay.
Speaker 2: He's something. We got to expand the map.
Speaker 3: I can't believe we're talking about this again. This sucks. It's so crazy. It's like that. Do you guys see that the Tim Dillon did. We said, we're not the high school bully anymore. We're the weird kid who may or may not have a gun. Yes, not the quarterback. We're not the jock. We're the college kid who keeps going to high school parties. It might be a pedaphract and has a gun. That is us. That's a country. Good work everybody?
Speaker 1: That is it? That is it?
Speaker 2: I think we've made a mistake electing this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah well.
Speaker 2: This podcast is sponsored by Squespace. Squarespace is the all in one website platform designed to elevate your online presence and drive your success. Squares Space revise all the tools you need to remote and get paid for your services in one platform. Whether you offer consultations, events, or other experiences, Squarespace can help you grow your business. Squarespace offers a complete library of professionally designed and award winning website templates with options for every use and category, no matter where you start. Your website is flexible with intuitive drag and drop editing, beautiful styling options, unrivaled visual design effects, and more ways to list what you offer. No experience required. Every dream needs a domain. Squarespace Domains makes it easy to find the best name for your business at one fair, all inclusive price, no ded fees or add ons required. Every Squarespace domain comes with advanced privacy and security tools included to ensure your domain remains online and protected. Make smarter business decisions with square spaces intuitive built in analytics tools. Review your website traffic, learn where to focus engagement, track revenue from bookings, invoices or product sales, all from one place. Do squarespace dot com for a free trial when you're ready to launch, go to squarespace dot com slash crooked to save ten percent off your first purchase of a website or domain that squarespace.
Speaker 3: Dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 1: Now that we just talked about Trump up potentially trained to conquer several additional nations, possibly because it would look cool on a map, it's probably a good time to mention that there's been a revival of the debate about Trump's age and fitness for the job, and whether Democrats should be making a bigger deal about it. Laura and Egan at The Bulwark and Jonathan Lamier at The Atlantic are both out with big pieces arguing that it's time for Democrats to make it a bigger issue. We get subscriber questions about this a lot. We also see a lot of folks on social media making the argument that if you're not making as big of a deal about Trump's age as you were about Biden's, you're being hypocritical. So in the spirit of open dialogue, I guess we're going to debate it. It's debated, that's debating Austin. Austin's bringing out a vote Save America mug with three positions in it.
Speaker 2: So I'm not gonna let's I'm not gonna look to we all let's all open every the same.
Speaker 1: Time, pro meaning it's something we should talk about more anti you can guess what that means. And moderator, Okay, great, I am the moderator.
Speaker 3: I am anti. Fow, I'm pro bitch. Uh gets fucking owned?
Speaker 2: Can I get a little UMBC music tonight? All right, I'll be moderating this debate. John, you will be arguing that Democrats must make a greater issue out of Donald Trump's age. Tommy will take the con Uh, you have the opening statement, you have thirty seconds.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Did did Joe Biden lose the last election or have to drop out of the last election because he was too old?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 1: Was it the biggest concern of every voter everywhere because everyone made a big issue and Republicans made a big issue of his age? Yes, yep. So Donald Trump's hands are falling off right, now he looks like he looks like there was like a fucking bad morgue job on his hands before he got in the casket. Sure, he's basically melting before our eyes. He's got all kinds of bruises all over the place. Aaron Rupar's feeds full of it.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 1: It's just purple, okay all And yet, and yet Democrats are out there just talking about affordability and not talking about the fact that the President United States is decomposing before our eyes, and Democrats won't talk about it, even though these were the same Democrats that tried to push Joe Biden out of the race.
Speaker 2: Wow, a powerful argument, Tommy, your counter.
Speaker 3: John, you ignorant slut. I don't want to get in between you and Aaron Ruppar's feed and your little hand job issue there with the Trump.
Speaker 1: But Trump is a good one.
Speaker 3: Trump is not running again, so none of this matters. Democrats have a zero credibility on this issue, after spending years pretending that they couldn't see Joe Biden's physical decline as he was shuffling around in sneakers and falling over sandbags. Every minute we spend talking about makeup on this decrepit old man's hands is a minute we are not spending talking about stock trades, the ballroom, medicare cuts, things that actually matter to people. And uh yeah, the napping is weird. Admittedly it's also very funny when the White House says that he blinked for ten seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, long blank, long, these are long blanks.
Speaker 3: Admittedly that's weird. But he still does a lot of events. He's out there all the time, he's doing rallies. He looks vibrant.
Speaker 1: He's a big looks vibrant. What are you talking about? He can't even stand up a murderer?
Speaker 3: All right, so let me let me just throw some questions in any trigger direction.
Speaker 2: I'll start. I'll start with you, Tommy. You do notice that there's a significant decline in how he communicates from today to how he communicated even four or eight years ago, That that his cadence has changed, That he's not as clear, he is more meandering. He's posting all hours of the night, like these are things that are should be a liability.
Speaker 3: I think he's always done these things. I think he's always been kind of incoherent. I think he's always posted, he's never slept.
Speaker 2: But I'm curious how you would explain the difference right like he is. Yes, you're right, he has always been this way. But I think it's indisputable that it is all worse, like he is rambling more he is, Uh, it's the weave, but the weave is getting worse? Do you do you think it's getting like changing? Depending on I think I like jokes aside.
Speaker 3: I think I don't know that I noticed him that much more rambly than he used to, because I think he's always been rambling like he does look tired, he's legitimately falling asleep in events. It's noticeable. The hand stuff is weird. And by the way, they're clearly lying about the hand stuff because they initially said it was his handshaking hand, and then the other hand had the bruising too.
Speaker 1: So he also he also keeps going to the dentist and.
Speaker 3: No one, dude, how many annual dentist trips?
Speaker 1: A lot of dentist trips. Yeah, he's doing a lot of things that no one's telling no one's telling us why his health is the way it is, and there's no one's asking questions.
Speaker 3: And there's the doctor's office in the west wing so you would only go to Walter Reed or Bethesda wherever he's going now to get like specialized equipment.
Speaker 2: There's also dental. There's also the dentist office in the House. Just got to go to a special dentist. So John questioning you, how would a Democrat who was somebody who defended Joe Biden's ability to run again make this argument without seeming like they're full of shit.
Speaker 1: I was wrong about Joe Biden, and I should have said something earlier. And that's what I'm doing this time around, because Donald Trump is in bad shape and he should not be a lead in the country, and any Republican that still supports him and that doesn't want to pressure the cabinet to invoke the twenty fifth Amendment, then they are just feeding into this cover up for Donald Trump's age in his dementia, and he is just putting us all at risk and Republicans won't do anything about it. And so even though he's not running again, when we go into the midterms, we know that Donald Trump's approval rating is highly correlated with how Republicans are going to do in the midterms. And by talking more about how he has dementia and he is losing his marbles, then we could get his approval even lower, and that Democrats can then do better in the midterms.
Speaker 2: Last question for you, Tommy, Joe Biden's age and Joe Biden's disapprove on the economy became link. The fact that the economy was bad was a sign he wasn't up for the job. The fact that he was up for the job made people doubt that he could fix the economy. We're trying to make an argument that Republicans we have to win the House in the Senate, and that Republicans refuse to tell the truth about Donald Trump. Shouldn't the fact that Donald Trump is to put decomposing four our eyes, rambling at all hours, falling asleep in meetings. Shouldn't we be saying these Republicans won't be honest about that? That Who Why are they not telling the truth about this? What are we not knowing about this? Shouldn't we be making this one of the lines of argument that we use when we try to accuse Republicans of not only Trump accountable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, allow me to flip flop on the issue to respond to your leading question. Clearly, they're covering up something right, Like the guy's the multiple annual doctor visits, Like this is crazy, it's all pretext. We should push for more information. There is muscle memory here, right, Like, I think we get people to like a critical, massive concern about this, they can they will care. I also just like I think Truble hate it. If we call him a sad, sick old man, he would hate that. So it's just working that in there could be fun. Now now you argue the other side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'll argue the other side because I've Tommy's best point was he's not running again, Like and so what difference as Hillary Clinton once said, what difference does it make if if he's if he is decrepit, if they are covering something up he's Like the reason this was a potent argument against Joe Biden is because Joe Biden was asking voters for four more years in office. Donald Trump will never ask voters for four more years in office. He might try to say no, he won't. He might try to stay in office, but he's not gonna ask voters for four more years.
Speaker 3: I mean he might run for a third term.
Speaker 1: That's he's going to try that. He's going to try to just sit there and be like, I got the military in the park. Yeah, no one's gonna let him run. But so he's not gonna ask for you. So what is the purpose of Trump? What is the if we're trying to win a midterm, what is the story we're trying to tell about Donald Trump that is most true? And the story that is most true is what you said at the beginning of this uh at this episode, which is this whole term is a smash and grab. He wants to make as much money as he can. He's a meglomaniac who thinks that now he needs this legacy in history where he like conquers half the globe and he doesn't give a shit about people. He doesn't give a shit about people, and he's never given a shit about people, and that's a consistent story through time. And whether he has dementia now or he's losing his marbles or not, like doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: So I think the way that I would square this is I think that's right Democrats to be more passionate about the dact.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Democrats paid a political price for defending Joe Biden and when people had concerns about his age, even after he dropped out because it came to be evidence that Democrats couldn't be trusted more broadly, And my argument would only be no, age should not be the central argument we make against Donald Trump. But if we can make the fact that Republicans refuse to be honest about not just Trump's corruption and and unaccountability and brazen theft, but also just his rambling and crazy nonsense, and you make every time he does that part of a story about how he's unfit in including because he's getting old, then that's part of why these Republicans can't be trusted. To me, that's the best. I'm not the best I can do.
Speaker 1: Even that, As you say that, like you kind of just like threw in corruption there, but it's like, so he's he doesn't know what he's doing. He's crazy, but he's also smart enough to be out there stealing all the money.
Speaker 3: I just think like the incoherence is priced in, Like the weave is a thing that's like a joke, but it's also not a joke, you know what I mean. Like people know he's a goofball, he's all over the place, he says weird shit, but also like he's funny, he's big and imposing, he seems sharp at events a lot of times, and like the handshit is very odd, but like, it's also weird.
Speaker 1: It's weird to make an argument that he used to be sharp when we were all saying he's been fucking crazy since he came on the scene in twenty sixty. Yeah, it's weird. It's weird for Democrats to be in the bits and be like, you know what, he's just not up for the job. He used to be, but now he's not up for the job.
Speaker 2: I think, look, I think I don't think anyone should make that that argument. I think you go back and look at even about like the the debates with Jeb Bush versus the debate with Comma Harris, like there's been a crazy to find. But even putting that aside, here's the thing that I find very annoying about all this this it's the same kind of practiced like obtuseness that some people on our side love to do. Like how could you say this If you won't say the same exact thing about Trump that you said about Joe Biden, then you're being a hypocrite. As if we can't see the difference between the way Joe Biden looked and the way Donald Trump, the fact that Joe Biden was disappearing from the public. Look, if you think Donald Trump is too old for the job, I'm I'm I'm sure sure.
Speaker 1: He's too selfish. He's too He's too much of a fucking dictator for the job.
Speaker 2: He's also the most accessible president we have ever had. He is on camera every fucking day. He's answering questions every day, and like he seems vital. Yeah, nuts loses the thread all the ways in which he's terrible and shouldn't be in office. He should be impeached and removed immediately. I'm not in charge of this, but like to to act as if there isn't a big difference between the way Donald Trump is aging the way the way Joe Biden is aging is to once again deny what we can see with their own fucking eyes.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but to me, that is like all beside the point. Even if you can argue that back and forth, whoever thinks you know Joe Biden was worse Trump was worse, whatever, But it's again, the question is to what end is a second term president? If Donald Trump was sitting here saying I'm want four more years, and we were trying to figure out how to defeat the two one.
Speaker 3: That answer is you try to drive down his negatism, or you make it an issue that other Republicans need to speak to you, and like suddenly they're vouching for him not being senile or old or whatever. I think we're a long way from here to there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's also because if you had, if you had a choice between what Republicans need to answer for, would you rather it be they're covering up for Donald Trump being too old or they're saying nothing about the fact that he's literally stealing from taxpayers out of their pocket and launched a war that's shot up gas price hand to make up or I think you'd rather do that one. And if he really both okay, well, you only have so many things that you can say out of your mouth.
Speaker 2: And if it was so clear, right like if he was really like, look, I agree, he's in decline. There's not some magic words that Democrats can use to make something more. They can make it more of an issue, but they can't make it the issue. If Donald Trump was as having the kind of muttering debate that that Joe Biden had I guarantee you would be a big political issue, and it wouldn't be because Chuck Schumer decided it was on some given day.
Speaker 3: That's a calm, a sad sickle man.
Speaker 2: Go to town. Let's go to town.
Speaker 1: Get a man figure. If you got the right words, I won. Okay, Congress, Good for you, Congress to our winner, John love It. That's our show for today, Dan and I will be back with a new show on Friday. Pots America is a cricket media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Ferris Safari, with Reed Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groat, Ben Hethcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlotte Landis, Carol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Seingle. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East