Speaker 1: Uh Chann nine first and world forecast today and tomorrow both high eighty seven, both sticky and both sunny in between sixty six with clear skies. And that goes for tomorrow night as well. Independence Day is going to be a sunny day and a high of ninety one sixty six degrees.
Speaker 2: Now time for traffic.
Speaker 3: From the uc UP Tramphak Center, the University of Cincinnati Cancer Center Heny. It's the most comprehensive blood cancer center in the nation. The future of cancer care is here called five one three five eighty five U see see see You're looking at the better part of an extra hour northbound seventy five between Donaldson and Downtown. There's an accident above twelve Street, Covington that has the left three leans blocked off. Southbound seventy five slows through Lachland. There's a wreck on Spring Grove of Dan Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC, the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty here fifty five KR Seedy Talks Station. A very happy Wednesday to you one hour from now, Judge Edna Politano and Independence Day twenty twenty five. Are you freer now than you were? Under the THUMBA King George legitimate question to ponder. George Lang State centat they're going to join the program at eight to five talk about the Ohio budget and joining the program right now to talk about the Ohio budget. Donovan and Neil from Americans for Prosperity, welcome back to the show. Donovan, Always a pleasure to having you on.
Speaker 4: Brian, always great to be with you and happy to be an opener for Buckeye Blueprint champion.
Speaker 5: George Lang, He's one of the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm looking forward to talking to him as well. Maybe he can discuss why it is that Governor de Want vetoed so many provisions sixty seven vetos. Now they can override these vetos if they come back from their break. Is my understanding, what's the percentage they need by way of I mean, is this a super majority to override vetos? It a simple majority? How does that work?
Speaker 5: Do you know? Donovan? Yeah, And it's actually something we've done before. AFP was part of this.
Speaker 4: You may remember late in the final term for Governor Kasik, there were some medicaid provisions that he vetoed. Legislature came back overrode his vetos for waivers to save some money bring some efficiency to that program. So it's possible, and it's happened in recent history. It's a two thirds majority, so that ninety nine members in the House you need. What is that I think about sixty three sixty sixty three somewhere in there, so two thirds majority, it's not unfeasible. There's sixty five members in the Republican caucus in the House. The Senate, I think I would say it's probably a slam dunk for something like a veto override. But the House is where you've got to kind of watch and see who's available and around to come back and get that done.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And in terms of how this would work, are would they vote to override all of the vetos across the board? Are they just going to hand pick the ones that they really want to override? I mean, do you have any insight into how that's going to work or if it will work that way?
Speaker 4: My understanding and I have to take another look at how all those how all this sort of comes together. But my understanding is it is each individual veto has to be voted on. You don't just vote to undo the whole package. You have to pick and choose what you're going to have, what you're gonna do there. But you could do it all that just be sixty seven different votes, I believe.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's unlikely that they would vote on every single veto then, is what you're saying.
Speaker 4: I think that's right. I think they probably would prioritize the ones where there's the largest amount of consensus, things like property taxes or reg reform.
Speaker 5: Or school choice.
Speaker 4: I would hope and maybe some of this other stuff's tackled in other future pieces of legislation, would still get it all done this session.
Speaker 1: All right, which is a good segue into Americans for Prosperity. What is AFP advocating for in terms of its choices on what should be overridden which vetos?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, well, you know, we issued our Buckeye Blueprint. That's our policy agenda for this year. Big things like tax reform, moving on he to a flat tax. That's mission accomplished. The governor recognized he could at veto that and have it stand. But there's other major priorities. Property tax in particularly property tax reform.
Speaker 5: All the property tax.
Speaker 4: Reform provisions, those were designed to provide immediate relief while also providing structural reform to keep a property tax crisis like we're experiencing right now happening. Again, those were all vetoed by the governor. Reg reform, so the Rains Act type provisions that were included in the in the final version of the budget that would have rained in executive overreach. There was maybe a little bit of executive overreach, and he vetoed the ability.
Speaker 5: To rein in his bureaucrats.
Speaker 2: That was well.
Speaker 1: That was the provision that if any regulation that was implemented had a financial impact of what more than one hundred thousand dollars or a million dollars, then it had to be specifically voted on in the legislative branch exactly.
Speaker 4: And so it's not saying you can't have a rule that's going you know, you can't implement a new regulation that's going to have a million dollar economic drag on the state of Ohio. It just needs a little extra scrutiny that was veto to put.
Speaker 2: On the cutter and floor. Did he explain why.
Speaker 4: There's put so with each of these vetos, the governor does have to provide a veto message. I would describe it as a pretty sterile message. I believe if I recalled him, that was a pretty generic This slows down the ability for the executive and our agencies to.
Speaker 5: Do their job.
Speaker 2: Oh well, good, that's the point of it, isn't it. I agree? I agree, Brian, you got to put people on record.
Speaker 1: Are you in favor of this expensive regulation or do you want to not have this expensive regulation? Vote on it. I don't see a problem with that. That's actually disheartening right there.
Speaker 5: Well, what's interesting, though, is this isn't unique.
Speaker 4: You know, AFP's leading the charge on this rainback reforms across the country. Over twenty states have introduced or pass reforms this year alone, just the first six months of this year. States like Kentucky with Andy Basheer, no surprise, he vetoed it. The legislature came back and slapped him down, although they're only a simple majority. But Wyoming, even with Republican governors Wyoming vetoed. They came back and slapped him down.
Speaker 5: And so this actually.
Speaker 4: It's kind of a dramatic finish to these sorts of reg reform ideas. Right when the executive says I don't want more oversight, and the legislature.
Speaker 5: Comes back and overrides them.
Speaker 4: I think that's the idea behind those bills, right, is that the legislature has that oversight, and if the governor sees fit to veto it, I think it's right for the legislature to come back and reassert their authority.
Speaker 5: It's why they put it in the bill in the first place.
Speaker 1: Amen, brother, And with your encouragement from Americans for Prosperity, maybe they would do just that.
Speaker 2: Pause.
Speaker 1: We'll bring Donald and O'Neil from AFP back after these brief words, including first USA installation and outstanding product. And of course you've been feeling the summer heat. It's going to be sticky day to day. It's sticky day tomorrow. You love your air conditioning, but you don't love how inefficient it is, because, dang it, there's some hot rooms in your home. It's fighting an uphill battle. You see the bill every month, you're like, geez, could it get any worse?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: In the world which we live, the price of energy it's only going to go up. So why not save money right now and enjoy immediate improvement in comfort? Day one improvement and comfort the USA's premium foam in the xterior walls of your home. You're either under insulated some many homes are UH and or maybe no insulation. The newer the home is, the more likely it is you are adequately insulated, but you move back in time. The old insulation isn't insulating as well as it is, probably only R twelve if it had any, and moving before the mid seventies. Zero insulation the exterior walls. So solve the problem. Save the money guarantee cover the cost of the installation you may very well and only ninety nine dollars a month interest free. A lot of folks out there are saving more than the monthly payment on the on the phone. Plus you ultimately pay it off and you continue to enjoy the comfort and savings. The ultimate no brainer twelve hundred dollars energy tax coming your way as well next year, so call them up for the free inspection and free quote three eight one three six two six five one three three eight one poham. You'll find them online at USA insulation dot net.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC dot com.
Speaker 1: Tail nine says to both today and tomorrow plenty of sun, humidity and high of eighty seven in between. Overnight sixty six be low with clear sky. You get that tomorrow night as well for Independence Day A hot ninety one high littuld eat sunny all day sixty seven now traffic times broudly.
Speaker 2: You see how transit center.
Speaker 3: The University of Cincinnati Cancer Center has the most comprehensive blood cancer center in the nation. The future of cancer care is here called five one, three, five eight five U see see see northbound seventy time continues to run an extra hour out of Florence into downtown thanks to an accident above twelve Street. Let three lanes remain blocked in Pound seventy four now slows from Montana eastpend two seventy five heavy out of Taylor Mill before seventy one. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR seed the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty nine fifty five KERR see talks and talk station for Americans for Prosperity. Donovan Hills speaking about the various dwine vetos which can be overridden. As he explained in the last segments, you need to come back and do it. You picked out some other ones at AFP that you want to override, Donovan, What might they be?
Speaker 4: Well, proper tax I mean, we've talked about this on the show before, Brian. You hear it wherever you go, from coffee shops to doors, which we do a lot of doors here at AFP, talking to voters, to roundtable events with legislators. There's a property text crisis here in the state of Ohio. The legislature put a number of provisions. These weren't just ideas that they were trying to see if they'd.
Speaker 5: Stick to the wall.
Speaker 4: Last year, Brian, the legislature had a select committee that came together, heard hours, hundreds of hours of testimony from various groups, and developed they believe it was twenty one recommendation list that was brought into this session. That list was used to then develop dozens of pieces of legislation that again got hundreds of hours of vetting and public testimony and discussion in the State House over the last six months. These ideas that were in this budget bill, these handful of ideas are in this budget bill addressing the property text crisis or among some of the most vetted, well respected, kind of a read upon ideas to resolve not just the problem immediately, but also make some of the structural changes. For some unknown reasons, still, the governor saw fit to just strip those from the budget. His argument was, we need to have a little more vetting and bring together a working group to kind of solve this property tax problem here in the state.
Speaker 5: It's insane to me.
Speaker 1: He was quoted as saying, I mean, first off, property tax increases across will have strained many family budgets and danger of the financial security of many unfixed incomes, no kidding. Then he pivots over to the various vetos that he did that were addressed to that problem. These ideas were thoughtful, but I was also concerned that imposing them, now, all of them at once, on our local schools would create a huge, huge problem. Huh So more about the schools and the elderly.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, yeah, the problem is here and now right the Ohioans are facing the risk of losing their homes because of out of control property taxes. The crisis is here, The problem is now, and the legislature put a handful of solutions. There's more to be done, quite honestly, but the legislature puts some solutions in to release some of that pressure and give folks some breathing room. All of that left on the cutting room floor, Well, well, what these what these would have done these These aren't really controversial ideas either, right, right, It's ideas like saying, hey, you know, we're going to empower the county budget Commission, these local elected officials who oversee the budgets in a county, to have some additional oversight to say, hey, if you if you're sitting on a large amount of cash balance as a local government taxpayer dollars, and you're coming back from more money to the taxpayers, you actually maybe you shouldn't do that, right and being able to tell them don't do that. You can't go get more money from the taxpayers right now until you spend the money already are sitting on from them. Things like that provide that immediate relief. But vetoed, vetoed, As you can tell, it's a little frustrating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there was one provision that would have changed the authority of county budget commissions, allowing them to unilaterally shrink a school district's levy passed by the voters. I suppose that would apply in circumstances where the school really doesn't need the money, given the cash reserves they have they're sitting on, sitting on. Then they had the cash balance carryover provision, which he vetoed, would have put a forty percent cap in a school district carryover revenue or the unspent funds of a district that they have on hand at the end of a fiscal year. In other words, they didn't spend what of the one hundred percent revenue that they were entitled to, so they're sitting on that. Then you can't ask for more and you got to give back to the taxpayers anything over the forty percent.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, the idea you're right is we wouldn't be happy if Columbus was sitting on gobs of cash and still taking money from our paychecks.
Speaker 5: And sales tax and other mechanisms are.
Speaker 2: Right, and quite frankically, they haven't.
Speaker 4: Columbus has cut taxes over the last decade. We've gone from nine tax brackets now we're down to one of a rated two point seventy five percent. What was the last time you heard of a school board, a city, a county government actually lowering.
Speaker 5: Taxes on its citizens.
Speaker 2: I've yet to.
Speaker 4: Find that government that's done it among the thirty nine hundred.
Speaker 5: In the state of Ohio.
Speaker 2: Legitimate point.
Speaker 5: Donovan O'Neil.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully you get them herded up, rounded back into Columbus and start voting on overriding vetos. Good luck with the effort, donovan on behalf of all the property taxpayers and of course people who are in favor of some school choice and the like. Get to work, my friend, round those cats up.
Speaker 4: We're going to shoot some fireworks this Friday for the fourth of July, and then we'll be out there getting folks to get this done over the summer, in full months.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you will any any call to action, Donovanil Forty Park Company today.
Speaker 4: Well, first and foremost, just contact your state representative, your state senator, thank them for making OHIOI slat tax state, and then encourage them to get out there and finish the job on property taxes.
Speaker 1: Amen, brother, appreciate what you do, Donovanil. Look forward to having you back on the program another week and have a fantastic Independence Day. The I'm my County Veteran Services up next seven forty five afty five krcity talk station. First, the number one installer for tankless water heaters and all residential plumbing gets plump tight plumbing. It's always plumbing done right. They know you deserve better, deliver on better, better customer service, better prices, treating each customer like a neighbor asking for help, and they provide that help, including trenchless water sewer line repair rather yeah, they don't have to dig your yard up to repair the sewer lines. Great modern technology and of course plump tight offers that a plus with a better business fareer. They are problem with the some pump, problem with the leaky drain or a rather a leaky faucet clog drains sewer lines. As I mentioned, get the best around. Get plump tight plumbing on the job. It's plumbing done right online plump tight dot com, t I T E. Plump tight dot com five one three seven two seven tight. That's five one three seven two seven eighty four eighty three.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC the talk station five thousand dollars. That's the average amount of money people in the