Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome. Thank you for joining us again on Seafood Matters Today I'm chatting with Manuel Vasquez. Manuel is the CEO of Bacha Aqua Farms. Hello, Manuel, and welcome to Seafood Matters. Great to have you on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, jam and thank you for the invitation. And good morning everyone, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: If I could maybe start, how has the global demand for premium bluefin tuna evolved over the last decade and how is Bacha Aqua Farms positioning itself to meet these change in consumer needs.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, great question, Jim. I think it's been a really good business for those who have been on the bluefin. Over the last decade. We've seen a change in consumer habits, mainly from I would say the last generation, which was treating the product just as a commodity. Now we realize how important is that product in a different type of restaurants and sushi outlets. Obviously that comes with a different type of product as well, because now you see consumers requesting a different set of organ electic attributes into the bluefin. And at the same time, obviously we see a tremendous opportunity of growth in those new niches and new segments that are over and above of what we had before. As a quote on the bluefin space as well, so to put it on a nutshell on the last ten years, there was this stigma on bluetin as well, because we were an industry that it was having a kind of dangerous pieces, and for over a decade we had very tough controls on the amount of fish that we could get out of the ocean. Finally, last year, for the first time in a decade, all the scientific community from the West and the East got together and then they realized that actually the targets and the abundance of biomass in the ocean was over and above of the objectives that we were supposed to achieve within the next five years. And as a result of that, for the first time in many years, they gave us a quota increase of fifty percent quote increase. As you can imagine, it was a big challenge for all companies because then you need to increase your structure and infrastructure in order to embrace that volume. And at the same time, obviously you need to develop a market that is there, but it still needs to be educated and needs to be positioned with the right product and priced. So all these just to summarize that. Indeed, the last decade has been good, but the last two years I would say were extremely better than what we have seen. And obviously we have a very positive outlook for the years to come.
Speaker 1: That's very encouraging. I would love to come back to that. But if I could, just before that, ask you what was your background before joining bach Arco Farms.
Speaker 2: Well, for many years I worked for Nesley, you know the chuck I played, milch and a beverage company. I actually started my career over there more than twenty five years ago. I worked for them in Mexico, Panama, Ghana, Switzerland, Singapore, back to Mexico, then Dubai for a while back to Mexico, and then with that just finished the first twenty years of my life with them, doing many things. As you know, Nesle is a big corporation that goes some foods and beverage, so it was a big school for me, even changing roles within during these years from finance to commercial. Then I left the company and then I went into tuna. First, I started in the yellowfin industry with one of the main companies that is called Tuni in Mexico, and later on I went to work for Atundolore, which is the largest tuna fishing company, I would say in Latin America. So over there I leland the ropes on the seafood and the fishing and the tuna. And then just by coincidence, I was invited to go back to coffee for a while, and with that I finished my yellow fiend experience. After two years of being in the coffee again, finally I got this call three years ago and then I madly fell in love of culture and what you know is now Bajack of arms. So I'm here to here with the company away for three years. At that point of time, we were going through as an transision also in terms of shareholders, so it was really a nice time for me to join the company and then go with these new transition of owners and obviously a strategy for the company. Ah. I'm also a Mexican national. My background is in finance. And then I went to study in Chicago Bull and Gellog for some m b A and marketing degrees, and as you know, going around all these places, I also managed to collect a number of different languages to speak, and that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's your life. From what you see there madeo lb tuna and I would start by it made sound as if I'm trying to catch here, but I'm not. I'm gonna put my hand up and admit my own neg ignos on the subject in unfashioned all my life. But there's just no to there or anything like that or waters. There's a big difference between yellow fan and blue fen.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely biologically speaking, they don't even look the same, but even in the way that they behave and the habitat that they have is also different. The yellow fin is on tropical waters, which is going out the equator and a little bit above them below, but that's normally the place that they have it. Then the blue find for difference, is normally on the north or really south, much closer to cold waters rather than to tropical waters. And it's having a completely different migration pattern which starts in Japan and cross all the Pacific on the North Current to California and co goes down all the way to Encinada and then back again, So that migration pattern is completely different from yellow fin. Yellowfin is normally associated to dolphins, so you will see a school of dolphins together with yellowfin. As a result of that, obviously there is a completely different technique and the way to catch and capture that fash. In the case of blue fin, it is not associated to dolphins. It is much more associated to sudin, which is obviously what they eat.
Speaker 1: So okay.
Speaker 2: And then in terms of industry, you recognize yellow fin going in a can, so that's normally the way that consumer understands the product, and bluefin we normally take it out of a can and we put it on a different type of plates, starting from sushi, sushimi and nowadays the most sophisticated places that you can imagine on white table restaurants around the world.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you see it in a Japanese restaurant, it's bluefin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because of the taste and the fat content that you can find, specifically in the case of blue fin, it tends to it fatten. And this is how even they got this name. On the different parts of the body of a fresh that came from the Japanese culture, so we call toro o toro, which is like the lower part of the loin or the belly loin as we call it. Then you have the tchutuo anakami, which is the side loins and the upper part of the loin, which in terms of the fat content, is a completely different color and fat that you can see on the flesh. In the case of the yellow fin, since the swimming patterns are completely different, they don't develop that much fat, so you will have a very lean flash and that lean flesh obviously is having a different color and a different taste completely.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting. That's really interesting, I would imagine, I don't know if it's Before I was going to ask you about the difference in the flavors, I would have thought from the weird described that the bluefin with more fat would have been tisty. But are they not. Are they just completely different. There's not a case that one is better than the other. They're just different.
Speaker 2: They're just different. Obviously, the fact that you have that fat content a different taste, and because it takes a different taste, is a bit more sophisticated in the way to prepare it, because you need to obviously take advantage of these organ elyptic features that you already have on the fish. And also as a result of that, there is also a price difference, right, because of the limited quantity that you have. Is a bit like diamonds, right, So you don't have many, So then it's just economic rules demand and supply. If you don't really have a lot of supply, obviously price goes high. Is a bit the way that it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're very fast swimmers, are there to.
Speaker 2: Believe, Yes, yes they do. They swim long distances and really really fast. However, they tend to be in the coast, need the coast because of the way that they eat Saudi and this is where we manage to spot that fish. And what we do is a technique not to actually fish it, but to capture. So what we do is a set where we throw the net, we capture the fish, and we try not to stress it. That's probably the most complicated part of it. Then we bring a pen that is connected to the net and then we transfer the fish into a pen. Thereafter then we are towing that pen into our farm. Normally we are feeding that fish for as much as one year. During that period of time, we are one of the farms, or probably the only farm around the world that is having a centralized fitting system. And what I mean be that. Imagine that you have one vessel in the middle of the farm and you have twenty pens connected to that vessel. On that vessel we bring all the sudding that we are fishing every day, and from that vessel we are pumping the sudding into the pens three times a day to society. We also have cameras inside every single pen at three different levels of debt. With those cameras, we are monitoring with artificial intelligence, the behavior of the fish, how much they eat, how they move, and this is how an operator on this centralized feeding system is pumping the right amount of booth. So then we grow that fash systematically to have what we call a steady size, a steady supply, anesthetic quality, which is the first value proposition that we bring to all our consumers.
Speaker 1: Very sophisticated operation.
Speaker 2: It is becoming very much sophisticated. It was not like this, I must say. You know, we were one of the few companies that twenty five years ago we started shoveling sudding into the fans really hate as you do. A stell have farms in Japan and many other places around the world. In our cases, we came to this level of sophistication as a result of obviously the engineering and the necessity of bringing an upgrade into the whole industry. So we started mimicking this idea from the salmon, which is not a secret or most of the salmon farms operate somehow like this. In our case, it was much more challenging because we don't fit with pellets, we don't fit with any artificial food. We just fit with souding on percent souding on the percent fresh not even frozen sadin. So in in our case it was much more challenging to have an engineering system that it was able to support the quality of the southing without destroying it. As you might not. Souding is composed eighty percent by water on the body mass composition, so if you don't treat the souding well, you will destroy it immediately and as a result of that, even the tuna will not eat it, so it will be a waste of food. So even in that particular case, we've been very meticulous in the way that the technology has been evolving and constructed and adapted to our tuna farm.
Speaker 1: When you're when you're sitting there taking me wonder, it's obviously not the same as what we would class as a traditional farm. Maybe some here or they would have the small motors as we call them, and they would feed them and they would grow and get heavier. I don't think it's it's not quite the same, are you are you still want to feed them to get to odd with puld them.
Speaker 2: Right now, as I was telling you, we really changed the rules on how the industry was behaving. Still two years ago, I can tell you that there were few companies in Mexico and they were all going out with their own vessels trying to get as much fish as possible because we had this system that is called Olympic fishing. So what it tells you is that you get out and get as much fish as you can get in the least amount of time. It's like giving a ball of eminem's to a bunch of kids and then tell them to eat as much. So you can imagine that it was a bit of a disaster, right. So but that change finally two years ago we enter into a new dynamic with the whole industry. And right now what we are doing is to catch the bigger fish, so there's no rush. Everyone is having their own take, and because of that, we just changed completely the rules of the game and the rules of engagement. Today we don't get any fish below eighty kilo, so a juvenile is considered on the twenty five kilos, just to give you an example, that was the case before. Today we are just getting adults. So we are getting adults at eighty kilo and then what we are doing is to fatten those adults. And then we just converted that fish from etikilo to probably hundred hundred and ten until we have that good fat content that I was talking to you about, yeah, and then the fish is ready to hit the places. This is not a growth period, it's actually a fattening period. And that's why obviously it requires much less auding, it requires obviously less working capitals if we want to talk about the business, and obviously much more sustainable in all right, So, which is the main thing that we want to achieve at the end of the day, So we get a bit fished, that is requiring less audin, that is also requiring less time to fatten. And then at the end of the day that is also closing the cycle on the reproduction way to make sure that is reproducing several times before it is actually getting out of the water, which is what we want to achieve. And by doing all these steps right, then we have a much healthier industry. We have obviously a company that this requires hiring less working capital, and we are a company that is obviously much more sustainable of what we were already.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, I don't know if the tuna is the same as let's say, well our traditional fish. If I was to be asked what my favorite cut is and what part of the fish, every time, I would say the belly, you have a glu choice. Would that be the same tuna?
Speaker 2: I think it depends on the balladar, honestly speaking, you will see, especially in Japan, is highly overpriced. The belly is really about that, you know, they call it the toro and toro this is really the part that they like the most. But if you go to other places like Brazil, Mexico, Middle East, even some part of the US, they don't really see that part of the belly as something that it will be as lightful as probably another part of the body of the tuna. That's the true. So that's a challenge going forward for the company to do that market segmentation right, because if we do that right, that this means that a tuna should be cut in pieces to the light consumers in a very different way, and it's coming over from the same tuna. But if you're able to name it and labeled correctly, then you will have obviously an advantage in sending the right product with the right price to the right consumer.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, we are seeing a move towards conscious consumerism. How does the demand for tresability and sustainability and high end markets like Japan and America dictate your daily operations in Mexico, Club.
Speaker 2: Well, you mess a great question because I'm telling you know the whole company all the time that sustainability is on every decision that we made every day. It's not just a label or something that we want to achieve or something that we write on a piece of paper, but it is on every decision that we made. And it's true, it comes with a cost, and it comes with behaving also in a different way. Just to give you some examples on what sustainability means for Baja to start with, just told you the story on how we've had to change completely the way the industry operated you know, before going from Olympic fishing into now a more civilized way of fishing as I describe it, and then as a result, changing from twenty five kilowfish to eighty kilowfish, just in the way that we get out of the water. Top of that, the investments that are around the farm, in the way that we feed those fish. If I go even one step behind, every single fish that we take out of the water, even before we take it out of the water, there is two observers on each of our vessels writing every single thing that we do. So every single set that we do is registered by these two observers. One of these is the OBSERVERCE corresponds to the Mexican government to Conapesca in this case, and the other observer corresponds to ADDC, which is the Inter American Tuna Tropical Commission, and that's a regulated around the world that is checking that we do things the right way. So these two persons are registering on the books every single set on the amount of tones, on the coordinates that the fishes, and because of that, we are able to label that fish that goes into our pen. As a result of that, whenever we told those fish to our farm and grow that fish. We have identify that fish from the minute that we had that set in the vessel and through the period that we fought on the fish. We are still identifying every single piece that we have on the water because it goes on every single report that we give to the authorities on a monthly basis. Once we get that fish out of the water, the first thing that we do is to put a QR on the mouth with all the trace ability system that I just explained to you from the very origin, from the minute that we actually did the set till the minute that we took the fish out of the water, and thereafter, if we are sending this fish to whatever place in the world is, then the consumer will have the ability just to scan that QR and know what it is back to back the whole traceability chain. So all the things that I've described to require a lot of technology investment, innovation, equipment, gapex and many things that obviously consumer doesn't see, but for the company are important to achieve in order to make sure that we are here for many more years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Dummer above and the global economy, how do you balance a high cost of sustainable Turner ranch in with the markets fluctuate and price points.
Speaker 2: Well, Jen, we are trying to get out of that fluctuation of price points. I think the most important part is that you take your product out of the commodity environment and that you are able actually to go to the higher end of the pyramid, which is the premium and even I would say it's super premium. In order to do that, this is why we invest so much into technology, product development, and even the way that we feed the fish. So I told you before that the first value proposition that we have is steady supply, steady size, and steadic quality. But we have some others which goes even with the temperature, with color of retention, with the flavor, with the fact that we are the only company around the world that is feeding on hundred percent sudding and one hundred percent fresh, that changed the flavor of the fish. Obviously, if you give any other type of even antibiotics, some of the companies are doing is going against the nature, trying to have affect that is in nature good right. So we are getting rid of all these things and trying to go to a space where we are alone with consumer and because we are alone with the consumer, then obviously we are not facing this type of price pluctuations, but we are obviously making a value proposition that is going over and above our competitors.
Speaker 1: I would say, Manuel, they're pretty, They're very you're tuned, are very lucky, whether they're feeding on sardines.
Speaker 2: We are blessed. And one of the things is obviously the strategic vision that even our founders have many years ago, which was to erect a company with these type of values and thinking. But the other thing that I must also confess is that we are blessed because of the location that we are. There is only four places in the world around the world that are having this abundance of Saudi and we are happen to be really at the end of the California Current, which is known because of its abundance on Saudi. So Saudin for us is there, and we are blessed to happen to reach the southern in a very short distance, so hence we can get it fresh, hence we can get it for a very competitive price, and hence we can continue feeding the tuna in the most natural way that it would happen as if they were white.
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to say there's nichere, commented, it's obviously niches and everything, but it's a seasonal any part of it the cycle, I would.
Speaker 2: Say, the tuna capturing, you can call it seasonal because, as I said, the water needs to be cold, So you will normally find this fish mostly between February and June, and then probably again you will see it in September December, which is normally when the water is getting colder during that part of the year. Obviously they are migrating to different temperatures. We don't know indeed where they are going, but two times of the year, what we identify that the fish is really near to the coast of Mexico, which is normally the place that we get there is between February and June, which is the best place for us to go there and get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, Obviously back forums, as a major employer in the reason region, how does a global export business specifically translate into long term economic stability for the local region community.
Speaker 2: By being there, you know, there will be many ways probably for the company to segmentate and move operations here and there. And I think one of the things that we've seen is that our investors are really interested to stay there, to stay in Mexico and even to go on the sites and above. As a result of that, I don't know if you had, but just last year we bought a company that is complementary to the business that we do. The company's name is Baha Marine Foods. It's also there were our neighbors actually in Ensenada, and for many years there were partners in even processing some of our fish. Now, as we're sharing with you, obviously sudd in abundance in the region, as other elements that we can use as fish milk and fish oil. So our investors were really interested in trying to get that footprint wider and obviously to establish more a kind of company that is not only you know, going on fishing tuna, but is more on a protein platform in all senses. And that protein can be tuna, could be fish, milk, could be fish old, could be omigas, could be many other things that even for human consumptual. Very soon we will we will get there. So the company has been investing a lot on and then Zenada, not only obviously increasing the gapex and that the knowledge that we have in our operations but also looking at other complementary business I think we have now I've seen the company that is really making a big commitment with the community in Mexico. The Ensenada community, I think is a great place for us to be and as a result of that, we are now in the business of fish meal and fish auto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, funny, I was good to ask you. One of the questions I was going to ask you was about your investment and buying the acquite in the marine foods. This is integration, reduced financial risk by stabilizing feed costs, which are probably one of your largest expenses are the.
Speaker 2: Well, as I said, we fish on the sadin fresh in order to feed the to now. But it happens to be the case that sometimes we have enough sudin right that we don't need that saudin anymore at the farm, and then you still have some saudin on the vessel. So here the dilemma was can we use that sadin in a different way, And the answer was yes, right, So instead of taking that sud into our farm, there is obviously some other uses that we can give to the saudin that at the end of the day also will diversify the portfolio that we have in terms of risk. Coming to your question, obviously, it is a very smart way to the risk the company and at the end of the day have a better use on the Saudi and then to have this complementary business that goes hand in hand with the activity that we have, which indeed is fishing Sudin as well. So Bahamarin was a perfect fit for all the things that I just described. But on top of that, we have also a facility over there that is processing our tuna. The tuna that we harvest three times a week around the clock is brought to wins Anada to this facility, and obviously we need to give take out the gods and do the whole process of cleaning that fish, putting it into a box. Now we are going given one step further in terms of new product development. So we have new processing lines that are cutting the fish in different portions and trades, and so we will get a complimentary business by nature into Bahamarin if we use that facility the right way. And when you look at the fish mill and the fish oil, and I will go a bit more on the fish oil space, there is something that we call upgrade to human because normally you can use the fish oil also for pet food and many other things, but you can also think on fish oil for dha, you know which you will see it on all the infant formulas or you will see it also now in adult beverages, whereby there's a boost of energy to some of the people that is sixty and above. And you have these kind of products that are using omigas, dha and many other things that you can struck from this name Zadi. So that's the way that I think we would like to drive the company going.
Speaker 1: Forward really good, really good. Beyond direct employment, how has the presence of our world class aquaculture facility influenced the local economy and the technical skull set of the coastal workforce.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think it's having a big impact. In general. We obviously employed people from the region. Whenever needed, we bring experts from abroad because sometimes you need people that has been there already or is having a deeper knowledge on some specific things. So this is how we bring people from Peru, from Chile, from many other places, just to make sure that these knowledge is passed to the next generation. And that's next generation is people from Mexico which is already working with us. We are very proud to be a company that is well recognized for local employment and local development with the communities. So our corporate social responsibility goes beyond the fact that we employ local people, but we do many other activities around.
Speaker 1: How do you ensure that the growth of our global brand doesn't cut at the expense of local resources or small scale pushing traditions.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, there is always this line right between the local fishermen or even the tessenal fishing that we have also in Ensenada, and the big names or the big companies, because we are not the only one, of course, to be very honest with you, this is something that we've been working with the authorities already for many years. One of the main things that we've been promotely promoting, sorry and even pushing very hot, is to draw these marks on the bay and on the coastal area whereby we know the local communities are fishing, and we normally don't go there because otherwise you will disrupt the activity that they have. So without having a document signed with them, we respect a lot to each other, and I think that's the beauty of having a community, right to work as one. There's a space for everyone, and the ocean is big enough for everyone to do their own activity without having any friction. So we respect a lot of the local communities, and we've been working with the authorities ready for many many years to even plot those areas on the raiders of our ships, so our ships normally will never go to those areas as many other areas that you have now in Mexico, because as you know, Mexico as a country has also a big promoter of the reserve areas of fishing or natural reserve areas of fishing and have signed many international agreements and commitments not to fish in a specific places.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, it's to look ahead. How do you see the relationship between global seafood market and coastal communities changing over the next number of years.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that if we are smart enough both right, we should find a way to have a space and the consumer both. And I think that's the case today in case of of our fish. Whenever you go to even market, you will see label over there wildfish, which is normally coming from their testle fishing or the type of fishery that you are describing. You will see also farm fish, and that's the main level that you see between one and the other one. Obviously there is a big price difference between one and the other one because it is having completely different attributes, mainly the fat and the time that it was lapped for one fish and the other one to come finally to the consumer. But at the end of the day, I think there's consumer for both. Right, so you will see the consumer or some of the consumers are interested molt on a wildfish for whatever reason. It is even the appliances that they get, and there is some other consumers. Is that the consumers that are interested in our fish because they are looking for different type of attributes. And as I was saying, if we are smart enough, both of us, I think we should just keep on driving that dynamic going forward, respecting a lot of what we do, knowing that there is place for both. And I think we shouldn't be thinking that one is and then the other one is just the different elements that you have in a consumer basis that obviously you can do what you do in the best possible ways, and there is always going to be one for you to pick, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know when you said that, Manuel I was just my our son. One of our sons is and lives in Australia, and it's only when we started going and visiting them that I it's the first time I've ever seen it. You might see it's common, but I just picked up and when you were saying a bit wild un farmed on a menu in Australia, they tell you on the menu if it's wild or farmed. And I think it's fantastic, Yes, yes, absolutely, because everybody can just what works for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the end of the day, consumer is always having the last word on everything, right, So we just need to give the choices to consumer and do our best to make sure that that the end of consumer is well informed and that they are the one speaking one or the other one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you were talking about the consumer, is there anything you will wish the average consumer understood about the journey, say of a blue and tuna from the waters of Baka to their dinner plate, anything that you feel.
Speaker 2: That well there is. There is always this misinformation right about bluefeing going extinguished because of the big companies of fishing, and so that is not the case already for many many years. I think we are one of the few stories around the world whereby in nature, the commitment of the companies, the scientific community, and all regulators including the governments of all the countries starting from Mexico, the US, Japan and many others, they were really in agreement to do something right. And the result of that was that last year, instead of waiting for another five years to achieve the objectives that were set, we achieved them last year. And as a result of that we got the first small increase on the quota because after all these scientific evaluation then they came up with a result that it was showing that abundance of the bluefin is back into the ocean. So there is very few spieces around the world that can't actually say or tell a story as compelling as the one that we have in blue Fin. The result of that, over the last twenty years, many companies die in between. Right, Most of the companies didn't survive that thing. And why they didn't survive because there was obviously a quota given with a minimum amount of fish that you could get right. So, and here I think the big learning for everyone is that sometimes you want big gains right small investments turn it into big capital just from one day to the next one. This is not an industry what you would do something like if your mindset is that, then you should better go to different a different industry. But nobody here takes time, right even to grow the first, to see how the first is evolving and then to get that quote increase have taken a lot of time. And that thing goes with the mindset of person that really thinks on long term instead of short that really thinks on how to give the best product to consumer, and really thinks on how to be really sustainable in nature, not just by saying.
Speaker 1: It okay, okay and lead twenty twenty three, or just a few years ago a major consortiums acquired a majority stick and back Acroa Farms. What specific operational expertise have these global investors brought to the table to drive your growth strategy?
Speaker 2: Well, it's fascinating. So some of the people sometimes ask me that question, and they're asking me, like Manuel, how do you deal with all of them at the same time as you can imagine you are on a board of big number of people the smarter than you to start with, and I have in front of me sometimes twenty twenty five people in front of me and asking all these sort of smart questions and trick questions and very intelligent questions, pushing me really to the edge, which is fascinating. Honestly speaking, It is fascinating because coming back to your question and the answer, to have a vast group of people that is having these kind of experience, many of them going on agriculture and obviously other type of business development. It is at the end of the day, giving me a vast array of expertise and people that I can take and pick up from the different projects that we have and from the different problems that we face sometimes. So I can tell you that specifically Continent Brain EGI called TIBA are probably the three major ones that are coming with these expertise, one in agriculture, the other one in general in logistics, the other one in general also on the agro in Mexico. And you know, is fascinating just to have that kind of people with you. Obviously it's challenging for the reasons that I explained, but I really love it. Whenever I have a problem, I define the problem with the nature and then I know who is the right person to talk to, and I think that's the beauty to have a boat with these kind of people. I must also say that we also have on the boat still two of the main instrumental people that were with us from the very beginning in the company. We call them the founders, but indeed they were there after the first people who started the company, but they were the ones really reshape the company the way that it is today. One is from Iceland and the other one is Mexican. And these two gentlemen they are still there. And the board also nurturing the conversation, challenging me but also being that nice year that you can have when you don't know what you do and then you have someone that has been there before able to help and here and mostly give you the best advice in the best interest. So I really love it, you know, the fact that we have that type of board and investors. It gives a new dynamic to the whole company because it respects the value of where we came here. And it also propels the company to be obviously a big corporate and then to keep on growing the way that we do.
Speaker 1: So you're in a good place.
Speaker 2: Yes, I cannot complain at all.
Speaker 1: Good. It great. The global farm Plufen market is recovering from the price crash in twenty twenty four where the Mediterranean prices plummeted due to weak demand. How did bacha Acra Farm's weather that storm and how have you adjusted your financial hedge in to protect against similar future potility.
Speaker 2: Well, it's very difficult to hedge against that as honestly, I can tell you that the answer is no, No, we did it. It's very complicated that you hedge for something like this, especially if you don't know where the price will go. Right, and we were having so much biomass on the water. I can tell you we are a big farm and we were a lot of fish in the water when that thing happened. Obviously we were optimistic about the future, but at the end of the day, you're seeing that prices are going down, that's probably not the best place to be. So no, we didn't. There was no way for us to act probably different in a way, and I have thought about these many manys. So talking to obviously the investors and the way that the outlook was there, we knew that it would be a difficult year. We knew that we had to continue being consistent with what the company was building at that time, and as I told you, the strength of the company went really on differentiating the product from the rest. So we knew that that investment will pay off at the end of the day, because if we were to have a more consistent fish, a more consistent color, a more consistent way of being so sustainable, more consistent way of feeding the tuna, and we were building on every single line of those capacities, at the end of the day, we would be in a better place. Now. I'm glad to say that that proved to be true. Right, twenty twenty five was a completely different year for us, much much better. And I am not complaining about twenty twenty four by the way. I'm just saying that it was a tough year. But at the end of the day, I think the key learnings here is that if you are consistent on your long term strategy, you might have a bad year or rainy season, that the end of the day, you keep on building on those strengths, then you will be getting a better year on the following one for sure.
Speaker 1: No, that's that's very good.
Speaker 2: That just.
Speaker 1: Tells us that it's a very professional run. Operations. Credit to you on that that just comes luded clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we we are trying, we are trying to do our best and that and yeah saying those values are also coming from from before even h. We have this this change on dynamic on the on the company a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Yep, the as a saying we have here Manuel, when the going gets tough, the tough get going, kay.
Speaker 2: H.
Speaker 1: And that seems to sum up your situation. You just dig, you just dig and then get on with it.
Speaker 2: Well, the island is on the fishing industry, honestly, the nothing comes easy here. Yeah. I mean, I'm blessed to be in this place, honestly, and I love what I do. But nothing comes easy, that's for sure. So it's really for the type of people that wants to be here in the long run. And it's really the type of people that really loves this type of adrenaline of also knowing that you really need to work hard to get it done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would be known if just hypothetical, I know, if Japan's market share sashimi grill tune were to decline and maybe consumers to a high praise sensitivity, which I don't think is a case, could there be a shift towards the US market.
Speaker 2: That already happened, Jim, Yes, do you know these new generations are behaving differently right, So as you know, aging population in Japan is high, new population in Japan is with different type of behaviors. So consumption in general in Japan, if you look at the economics, is going down for several years already and as a result of that, we pick up at the right time to develop all the markets. I can tell you that five years ago, ninety percent of our cells were in Japan. Today only ten percent of our sales are on in Japan.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a big, big shift.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, so yes, And you know necessity right when you see obviously the opportunity, but also the need when you are in a market that you see that every year is much more complicated to differentiate your product, to position your product well, to be in a space where you are along with consumer, where you have the recognition also from consumer on your brand, then that might not be the best place to be. Then you need to find higher graft, right, and that push companies to move, and that was our case and we found better places to move. And now obviously we see what is happening in Japan, but we see it now with different eyes. Still is a very important market for us because it will always be is the mecca of tuna. What I we like it or not so, But at the end of the day, in terms of sales impact, I can tell you that there is only a very little portion of our P and L that is impacted by japan prices and demand. So and yet we really need to develop the consumer some other places around the world. You know, this keep thing keeps evolving. I study at the University of Chicago, and I had this professor, which, by the way, later on he won an over Prize of Economy. His name is Richard Taylor, and he wrote his wonderful book The Notch So I had really the opportunity to be with him and to learn from him. It's my professor. He was all the time telling me that consumers are following something that is called Heisenberg principle, which is quantum physics, right, And what it is saying is that the only the mirror impulse of trying to measure the exact position of a particle in the space, just by trying to do it, the intention of measuring it will move that particle to a different position, so you will never get it right. Right, And he was all the time telling us exactly that that's consumer. Whenever you think you know where the consumer is, it is alway moving to another space. And that's why I need to notch consumer right. That's why they called the book is the book is called the nuts. But that's exactly what is happening today. You know, before we were having consumers that were worried about quality and sustainability, and then we were having consumers that were worried about the experience, right we were having Now we have consumers that are worried about embodying the brand as I define it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And if you look at histogram, TikTok and all different sources of social media, then you have consumers that want to be represented by a brand that's a different thing. That's what I call embodying the brand. So this brand defines me as a consumer. And because these brand defines me as a consumer not only because of the experience and the values and the way that it behaves, but because of many of the other things that are related to me, then I decide to be with this company and this brand and this product that is happening today. So really the game now is how to be in that space again with that consumer that is looking for all these things together at the same time.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I admire ear honesty as well. Manuel, And I was just thinking when you first started talking on this point and you mentioned necessity, Well, my dear old late mother used to have a great saying she used, necessity is the mother of invention.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I love it, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: As a Mexican based company's exporting globally, how do fluctuations in say the Mexican peso against the US dollar and Japanese yen impact your overall profitability?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we have an impact because all the operations are in Mexico. If you saw, probably the last four years, Mexican peso was strong, so we were actually having a benefit out of that. Then last year we had a vessel that it was fluctuating a lot, and then you see a pesto again this year that is strengthening going a bit up and down. Generally speaking, when you are really here for long term gym and you have all your operation here in Mexico, I mean there's no really a hetch that you can do against PESO that will last long enough, right, So out of that whatever you do is just speculation. So I think what investors have decided is that if we are investing in the country and we know the operations are here, is because at the end of the day, you already have the risk embedded and to the company operation and we are fine to deal with that type of risk. So yeah, it comes with I would say that it comes with the and with the nature of being in a place that it is having that probably downside if you would like to call it in terms of effects, but on the other positive sides, I mentioned the fact that we are in a marvelous place to fish bluefin. We are in a very fantastic place in order to fish for the suling. We have one of the best locations to happen to host our farm for the fish to grow. And those things are also part of the operational risk of the company, which obviously are over and above of whatever the EFS impact that we have on a day to day basis.
Speaker 1: Yees, as well as pervading employment. Have you reinvested directly into the local infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, yes, a lot. Yeah, yeah, we do you know, fishing in general, and you will hear it not only from me, but from many other people that are in the industry in general, requires a lot of capex, starting from the vessel. You know, we are somehow fighting with nature, right the sea is never forgiven. The nets, the equipments, the technology that you use, even the materials that you have on the vessel itself requires a lot of maintainance. So because of all of that, the company has also invested a lot in having their own facilities to maintain the vessels, which we do next to the post position that we have. So we have our own crew and equipment, and we have developed these people even to learn this type of techniques and even expertise on engineering, to have different type of maintenance workshops we call it. So even from fixing the nets, from the hydraulics, the mechanics, the raiders, the zoners, all these things, we had to build that infrastructure locally in order to have people around us that are able to maintain and service the vessel in the fastest way possible. I relate these to the f one when you see a car coming into the pits and then getting out in two seconds. Right in our case, we want to do the same. We want the vessel to come, then we do a pit stop and then we put the vessel back into the sea, which is the best way that obviously assets can have a return on the investment that we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, With climate events like El Nino threatening global tuna abandon what role does specialized parametric insurance or other financial instruments play and protect in your local operations and families that depend on them.
Speaker 2: Ah, there is no direct threat on the abundance. It's not that the fish is dying because of the temperature increase. What is happening is that the fish is going to a different places. Right. So it's like probably you if you are in a room of what the degree is temperature, then you want to be in a place where you have air conditioning, right, so you will move and you will move probably the way that you move around those places. And this is happening this year. So we've seen the fish moving to other places where we normally never see the fish going before. And by definition, obviously you need to be a smarter and try to go to those places and find the fish again, I mean, still is there. It's not that he's dying, but just moving in a different pattern. So biologically speaking, the fish is still there. The abundance is there, and the reproduction is happening, but just not in the same way and route that probably you saw it before. Now, to answer the second part of your question, which is of where we have some sort of financial hedge against that, obviously we do. There's a big investment of working capital right which is called living fish on the water. So we have a big group of reinsurance issuing a big insurance policy every year to protect. Obviously the fish that we have over there now at the end of the day is just the protection. What we want to do is obviously to act for before something like that is happening, or if we see any threat to the fish that we have, and for those we have a lot of protocols. From to start, we do monitoring on the temperature water, on the algae that we have on the water, even on the pollution that sometimes we find with the water. We work a lot with Noah in San Diego, which is alerting us every time that they see a changing pattern on the water, even the different algies that you can find, and so so that triggers alarms in our farm and in our protocols to move even the fish eventually out of the place that we are uh huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've acquired processing plants and fishing vessels. There is an x major capital injection going.
Speaker 2: Well, we just want to keep up going global. I obviously cannot give more details of what we want to do next, but I think in general terms, we see Bahack of Arms being a global company and trying to have a bigger stake and consumer worldwide. Not only in bluefin because I was explaining, we are also entering in some other categories as fish meal, visual and obviously we want to go big, We want to go global, and at the end of the day, we want to prove that Mexico doesn't have to choose between scale and sustainability. We can lead the world with both. If we do this right, our lasting impact won't just be to have great vesh but it will shift actually the standards, so higher quality, full traceability, respect for the ocean, and a mindset that is really long term values obviously beat short structure. And every time I want people to look back and say that we really help to redefine what Mexicans see, what means globally, and it's not cheap, it's not commody dize, but it's really this type of premium, trusted and responsible product that he's coming from Mexican hands.
Speaker 1: Okay. Given the current skill of the company and the backing of institutional investors, it's the future public listing or further consolidation and the American bluefin sector part of a long term financial roadmap.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't think so. I think you know, our group of investors is very solid for the time being. I don't see these happening. People is really committed with the strategy that we had for the company, so there's no need for us to go that path.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, Well that's good. That's good that you're that. That tells anybody listening that you're in control and you're not just constantly trying to find something. You're in control.
Speaker 2: Well done, Thank you, thank you for that.
Speaker 1: I The February twenty twenty six FAO Global Globefish Report shows a strong price recovery for bluefin tuna with high value segments, experience in stables, seasonal three peaks, global trade value increasing and twenty twenty four supported by aquaculture growth and rising demands and a sashimi market. Do you see that's continuing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe so. I believe so, And that would depend on how much more sophisticated also we become consumer is there trying to find new ways even to have some sort of experience with a product. And as long as we do this right, I believe that there is still some places where we can go and still dry price even higher. As I said, there's a limited amount of supply. So if you're able to recognize your brind with a different value, then there's a place for you to be with consumer and obviously have a better impact in terms of the willingness to pay that you have from them.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, Well says that it's looking the future is looking good.
Speaker 2: Well, we hope for the best and we work out is to be true.
Speaker 1: As we say here Manuel, if you're the worst, but hope for the best. Where can our listeners follow you online? Your social social media presence?
Speaker 2: I think I have an account on linking. Normally, I am not an active user. I'm more of a passive user to be very frank with you, But the company is having you know, Instagram pages at Luvina you will find us over there. We try to be with consumer all the time, trying to show what we do, how we do it, and the type of events that we also organize around the world. So if you're interested to be how the product relates with chefs, restaurants, consumers, I think the best place to find us is on Instagram and TikTok. As I said, at blue Fina, you will see us over there.
Speaker 1: Brilliant, brilliant. As CEO, what do you want the lasting impact of Baca Aqua Farms to be on the Mexican seafood industry?
Speaker 2: Well, as I was saying, I want to lead with the example. Mexico is recognized for many wrong things. I want this to be one of the right things to be recognized for. As we recognize tequila and mariachi, then we should be able to recognize ones that we have also one of the best things industries in terms of aguaculture and bluefin and I believe we can achieve that we are on the right place. We have the right people, which is mainly the thing that it requires. This is not coming just by fishing or vessels, but it's coming out of the people that you have in the company. I do believe that we have the right people to achieve something as global as we said. Really, I see the faces on the people committed to what we call this year the two two six K, which is twenty twenty six, and it's coming from the two oh two five K, which is the twenty twenty five. Last year we call it the two O two because we wanted to redo the company and redo the innovation, and the five K was five thousand tons that we wanted to sell in one year and we did it. So this year we're looking for the two two six K, So hopefully by the year and I can come back to you and tell you that we did it again. But you know, aiming high. It always requires to have the right people with the right commitment in order to to go the full bust and really give the ex draft for to make sure that we are recognized worldwide for something different just just bad news.
Speaker 1: It certainly impressed me. Manuel. Let you have your targets, you know where you're wanting to go, but you don't just jump at it. You're very professional. Operations.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think what we have done in terms of the operation setup is amazing. Honestly, I'm all the time, very proud all the time showing these to everyone, because I think it's really a lot of work, many years that were put into that thing to make it happen. So it's just fair for me to recognize all the people that it was working to achieve that. And it's only fair also for people to realize that we are really in a place and with a technology and with an operational setup that you know, many even other industries would like to have. So I think it's a great work that the people have done in order to come along this way.
Speaker 1: What would your advice to be be to somebody like me who wanted to buy a fresh piece of tuna and cook it? What would you what would be your recommendation?
Speaker 2: I would say that you should start with some niggity's there's a piece of tune on top and some steam rise at the bottom. They normally put a little touch of wasabi in between, and then you put that thing one piece in your mouth all at the same time. Try to take some akami, toro and toto in that combination. Start from the pinky one all the way to the red one, and you will see the transition and flagwork from one place to the other one. I think it's just a very good way to start from there. Then you will experience something different if this is the first time that you're trying it, and if not, then probably you will evolve immediately into some sort of sashimi, which is another type of h tuna cording that that you will also do to enjoy it. Is my case, I always start with any gities because it gives you this rare combination and having the soft rise in your mouth with the tuna and with that little soy sauce on top which is really watering into your mouth, and the tuna is just melting like butter.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the sashimi is a brilliant combination between all of the tuna. You have the sabi, the pickled ginger, and the soy. I think it's an amazing combination of flavors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you. I agree with you.
Speaker 1: And then and they all they all put something, they all give something different.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, indeed, Well when you'll I'll just.
Speaker 1: Stay able, fold up and I'd just like to thank you very much. That's really really, really interesting and my goodness, what I've like professional operation. Commend you on it, and good luck for the future.
Speaker 2: Jim, you are welcome to come to in Snana anytime you want. We would love to have you here and show you all the things that were just stalk face to face, and then we will have even sometimes you have some good wine and some tuna.
Speaker 1: We well to be to be honest with you, I've actually arranging for our conversation last night and I was actually had the area on the map looking looking where you are.
Speaker 2: That's the start. You're welcome a tripe. Yes, excellent, Thank you, Thank you very much for the time.
Speaker 1: Je