Speaker 1: Okay, let's kick things off. We have a really interesting source for our deep dive today. It's the book three D Printing Blueprints by Joe Larsen, and our mission really is to get into the heart of well designing stuff for this pretty exciting world of home three D printing.
Speaker 2: It is exciting, you.
Speaker 1: Know, having a three D printer just sitting there. It's cool definitely. But the real magic, I think, the thing that plugs you into that whole New Industrial Age idea the book mentions, is designing the objects yourself, taking your own ideas, you know, maybe just sketches or concepts, and actually making them real physical things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, turning bits into atoms basically exactly.
Speaker 1: And the really great starting point of this book, which is key for you listening, is that it argues you don't need to be some kind of amazing artist or a CAD expert to start. If you can handle spatial puzzles like Tetris maybe, or even just you know, play pictionary and visualized shapes, or if you messed around with modeling clay, yeah, you kind of have the basics. Just need a computer really and some creativity and.
Speaker 2: The shift you mentioned bringing fabrication from goog factories down to the desktop scale. It's genuinely transformative. It really is a new kind of accessibility for manufacturing. Yeah, but you hit the nail on the head. The possibilities feel endless. But these home printers, especially the FtM type of the book mostly talks about they build layer by layer, and that process has real physical limits. You can't just dream up anything and expect it to print perfectly. Careful design is just well essential.
Speaker 1: So what tools are we talking about?
Speaker 2: Well, the book focus is mainly on Blender, which is a great choice. Honestly, it's powerful, it's free, open source, it runs everywhere right, runs everyone, Windows, Mac, Linux now. Blenders for the modeling part, but the source also points out you need other bits like slicer software. The slicer Yeah, things like kiraprusa slicer, maybe even the older replicator g forker box. That software turns your three D model into actual instructions. The printer understands line by line, layer by layer.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: And of course, so it's like thingaverse get mentioned too. Super useful for finding models, sure, but eventually for sharing your own designs once.
Speaker 1: You get going, and the book's approach to teaching this. It sounds very practical.
Speaker 2: Very it uses these blueprints right guided projects. Essentially, you start with something simple and each project introduces a few new Blender tools or.
Speaker 1: Techniques, so you build skills gradually.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's not just theory. It's focused on learning by doing, building up that muscle memory for how the tools work, how to think about shapes in three D space.
Speaker 1: Okay, so doing, not just reading precisely.
Speaker 2: And the very first hurdle it tackles head on are those basic design rules, the ones dictated by the physics of laying down melted plastic. And the absolute number one enemy it's well unsupported plastic trying to print out into thin.
Speaker 1: Air, right, the infamous spitting monster.
Speaker 2: Getting monster or the bird's nest. Yeah, if there's nothing holding up a section of plastic as it cools, it just droops or strings everywhere, total failure. So supports then, so supports. Yes, you can print temporary structures. Some of you just break away. Others might dissolve in water or something, but you know, they leave little mark. Sometimes they use up filament, which is waste, and removing them can be a bit messier fiddly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So ideally.
Speaker 2: Ideally, and this is what good design really pushes for. You try to design your model so it doesn't need supports, or at least minimizes them.
Speaker 1: Ah, So design around the limitation.
Speaker 2: Exactly, which brings us to some key ideas for supportless printing. Angles are huge angles, Yeah, outward slopes or overhangs. They need to be gradual. The rule of thumb is usually keep it at forty five degrees or less from the vertical. That's generally safe.
Speaker 1: Okay, forty five degrees.
Speaker 2: Think simple shapes. A capital H print's fine, right, each lighter rests on the one below.
Speaker 1: It makes sense.
Speaker 2: But a capital T that horizontal top bars picking out with nothing underneath that needs support or you need to redesign it somehow, maybe at a champer or curve underneath.
Speaker 1: So sharp overhangs are bad.
Speaker 2: Very tricky without supports. Now, some fancier printers have dual extruders, you know, maybe for printing supports in a different material or doing multiple colors, right, but the book really focuses on single extruder designs. That's what most people have at home.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about printing across gaps like the bar in.
Speaker 2: The h ah, Yes, bridging, that's what that's called. Where the printer stretches a line of plastic between two supported points.
Speaker 1: Can printers actually do that?
Speaker 2: They can? Yeah, yeah, but it depends heavily on the printer, the material, The setting's cooling is really important. Your printer needs to be well calibrated. The key is keeping bridges relatively short and simple, like that bar in the h long Complex bridges are much more likely to fail or sag.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it, So supports angles bridging. These are the fundamental physity that you're designed against.
Speaker 2: Or maybe designing with exactly. You have to respect the process, all right.
Speaker 1: So for this deep dive drawing from Joe Larsen's Blueprints approach, our mission seems pretty clear. First understand these basic design principles, the why.
Speaker 2: Behind them yep, the physics of printing, and then walk.
Speaker 1: Through how the book uses its projects to teach the actual how, the different modeling techniques, the blender tools you use for different kinds of objects solving different design problems.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a plan seeing how you go from a simple idea to a printable file.
Speaker 1: Okay, then let's dive into those blueprints and follow that design journey. Where does it start? Typically, Well, like.
Speaker 2: We said, it emphasizes learning by doing, So those initial blueprints are all about just getting your feet wet and blender. Basic navigation and manipulation.
Speaker 1: Like moving around the three D space.
Speaker 2: Exactly, adding primitive shapes, cubes, cylinders, fheares, you know, the building blocks. Then learning to orbit, the view pan, zoom in and out, absolutely fundamentally.
Speaker 1: Selecting thing and selecting things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, using simple tools like the box select or the circle select to just choose which object, or later which part of an object you want to actually work on. It's the groundwork before you start really changing shapes.
Speaker 1: Okay, basics first, Then you need to actually do something with those shapes once you select them.
Speaker 2: Right, So, the book quickly moves into the basic transformations we mentioned them, grab, rotate, scale.
Speaker 1: Moving, turning, resizing.
Speaker 2: These become like breathing as you start blocking out the main forms of whatever you're designing. But pretty soon just moving whole objects around isn't enough. You need to change the object's actual geometry. Get inside the shape, get inside the shape. That's where edit mode comes in and tools like extrude are introduced. Early, super powerful extrude. Yeah, you select a face like the side of a cube, and you pull it outwards. It creates new geometry connected to the old. Yeah, like pulling the handle shape right out of the side of the mini mug project in the book.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, so adding material conceptually.
Speaker 2: Kind of or extending existing geometry. Loop cut is another vital one shown early. It lets you slice new edge loops around your model.
Speaker 1: Why would you do that?
Speaker 2: It gives you more vertices, more edges, more faces to work with, more control points for refining the shape or maybe setting up edges that you plan to extrude later. More detail basically right right.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're building up the detail bit by bit, almost like the printer itself does.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy actually, And as you get more comfortable with those fundamental edits, the book starts introducing modifiers.
Speaker 1: Modifiers sounds powerful.
Speaker 2: They are. They're like automated ocerations you apply to your object, but they're non destructive, usually meaning you can tweet them or turn them off later.
Speaker 1: Okay. Examples.
Speaker 2: The boolean modifier is a real workhorse. It gets used a lot. Think of it like virtual cutting or welding.
Speaker 1: Cutting and welding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can use one object shape to cut a hole right through another one, or you can fuse two separate objects together into one single seamless mesh.
Speaker 1: Oh oh wow, Okay, I can see how that would be useful.
Speaker 2: Absolutely essential for creating parts that need to fit together, like making housings or interlocking pieces. It shows up in the Robot project, the D six spinner, even for cleaning up messy geometry sometimes.
Speaker 1: Mm any other key modifiers Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Multi resolution is another good one. It's great for smoothing things out or adding detail to organic shapes.
Speaker 1: Like characters or sculptures exactly.
Speaker 2: Instead of manually adding millions of tiny polygons, you can use multi resolution to subdivide the mesh smoothly and then maybe sculpt finer details on top. It makes creating smoother, more natural forms much easier. You see it used on the Teddy Bear, but also just for smoothing parts of the Mini Mug.
Speaker 1: So modifiers handle complex stuff, will give you higher level controls.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, and they can build complex geometry from really simple starting points too. Like the screw modifier screw like threads, it can do threads more generally. It takes a two D profile line just a flat shape and spins it around an axis lathe you can make vases, bottles, anything radially symmetrical.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay.
Speaker 2: Combine that with something like the solidify modifier, which just adds thickness to a flat surface, and you can create surprisingly complex hollow printable objects starting from just a simple line. The face Illusion Base project is a perfect example of that technique. That sounds efficient, it off, it is, and it can help ensure the final object is manifold or water tight, which is super important for the slicer software.
Speaker 1: Right, water tight that came up with supports. You also mentioned accuracy. How does the book handle making things you know, the right size, especially for functional parts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crucial. Blender isn't like traditional CAD, which is built purely for engineering precision from the ground up, but the book absolutely shows how you can work accurately. How so it introduces using real world measurements like with digital calibers. Measure the thing you want to fit, then model to those dimensions. Okay, there's even neat trick using grid paper, lay it flat, take a phot import that image into Blender as a reference plane. Oh clever, and then model on top of it. Using the grid for scale, Plus you learn to use Blender's own measurement tools and grid snapping features. Projects like the SD card holder ring really drive home why you need to design specific dimensions. It often suggests setting blenders units to millimeters to keep things straightforward.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Millimeters are pretty standard for printing, yep.
Speaker 2: Then there's a whole different side of modeling organic shapes, not hard edges and flat surfaces, but curves characters like.
Speaker 1: The Teddy Bear you mentioned it exactly that.
Speaker 2: Uses a different toolkit. The book introduces the skin modifier first, which is pretty cool. You make a simple wireframe skeleton like a stick figure, and the skin modifier instantly adds volume around it, making a basic mesh body really fast for blocking out characters or creatures. Then if you want to pose it, you can get into Armature's actual posable skeletons inside the mesh and weight painting to control how the mesh deforms when you move the bones, so.
Speaker 1: You can pose it before you print it.
Speaker 2: Right, And if we're adding all the soft details, the fur texture, refining the shape, that's where sculpting tools come in. It's like working with digital clay. You push, pull, smooth pinch the match directly very intuitive for organic forms. The Teddy Bear project walks through that whole process.
Speaker 1: Okay, so different tools for different jobs, geometric versus organic. What about things that need to work mechanically, multiple parts?
Speaker 2: Good question definitely covers that the Modular Robot toy blueprint is a prime example. It's all about designing separate parts that are meant to connect together, designing your own custom pegs and sockets, basically and crucially thinking about tolerances.
Speaker 1: Tolerances meaning gaps.
Speaker 2: Exactly, leaving a tiny gap maybe like zero point two millimeters between parts that are supposed to fit together, so they actually do fit. Not too tight, not too loose. That's vital for functional prints.
Speaker 1: Right, Plastic isn't perfectly precise, It isn't.
Speaker 2: The D six Spinder project goes even further into mechanical design, using Blender add ons to generate things like gears and thinking about how the parts will interact when printed. It also shows how to clean up geometry issues that sometimes come from those add ons, like merging duplicate vertices to make sure the final model is solid.
Speaker 1: Okay, tolerances connectors even using add ons, and.
Speaker 2: One really important takeaway I think is that the design process doesn't actually stop when you export the three D model file. It doesn't. No, the book makes a point that your design choices continue right into the slicer software.
Speaker 1: How so you mean like print speed or temperature, those two.
Speaker 2: But also things that directly affect the object's properties like infill the internal support structure. You can change the pattern or density. You can even turn off the top and bottom solid layers entirely.
Speaker 1: Why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Well, the stretchy braiselet blueprint is a perfect example. By using a specific low density infill pattern and maybe no top bottom layers, the resulting print becomes flexible, almost like fabric. So you're using the slicer settings as a design tool to get a specific physical property.
Speaker 1: Uh that's thinking outside the box or inside the slicer I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And finally, a really practical, vital skill the book teaches is how to fix models.
Speaker 1: Fix broken prints.
Speaker 2: No, fix broken digital models, maybe something you downloaded from online that wasn't actually designed well for three D printing.
Speaker 1: H models with errors exactly.
Speaker 2: It shows you how to spot and repair common problems holes in the mesh surface.
Speaker 1: Non manifold geomesh non manial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's where the geometry doesn't make sense physically, like an edge connected to three faces, or an internal face dividing the volume. Basically edges or vertices that break the rule of having a clear inside and outside and also flipped normals where a surface is facing inwards instead of outwards.
Speaker 1: Okay, so problems that confuse the slicer.
Speaker 2: Precisely, a three D print needs a perfectly closed, water tight manifold mesh. The book gives you Blender tools and techniques to identify those errors and fix them, reclculating normals, merging vertices, patching holes, essential stuff.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, that really covers a huge range then, from just adding a cube all the way through sculpting mechanical parts, fixing bad models, even using the slicer creatively.
Speaker 2: It absolutely does. It really underscores that designing for print uses a whole spectrum of tools and techniques within Blender. You pick the wide approach based on what you're trying to make.
Speaker 1: And I think what this deep dive really drawing from Larsen's whole approach in the book Hammer's Home, is that core idea learning to design your own stuff. That's probably the best way to really unlock what these home three D printers can do today.
Speaker 2: I completely agree.
Speaker 1: It's about closing that loop, isn't it Taking the idea from your head or screen and making it into a real thing you can pick up and use.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and the practical potential that unlocks is just immense. I mean, think about it. A plastic part breaks on some appliance. Instead of junking the whole thing, yeah, you can measure the broken bit, maybe use that grid paper trick to get the shape right, model or replacement and print it instant repair.
Speaker 1: Like the drawer guide example in the.
Speaker 2: Book, exactly like that. Or you invent completely new gadgets making you unique art pieces, customize toys for your kids, build those modular robot parts that can be mixed and matched. The possibilities really open up.
Speaker 1: Okay, So final thought, Then, with this power, this ability to measure the world around you, model it digitally and then actually print it back into physical reality now kind of accessible to anyone. How does that change the way you look at every day objects or problems, or maybe put another way for you listening, what's the first idea that's currently just living inside your computer, that you would want to hold in your hand,