Speaker 1: There's never a case in which I would take a job at a place that exclusively serves rich people, because odds are they're a devil worshiping cult, which means that they will kill you. I'm Ronald, Young Junior, and I'm leaving the theater.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: This is Ronald, and I am leaving the theater after seeing.
Speaker 2: They will kill you. They will kill you.
Speaker 1: Written by Carol Sokoloff and Alex Litvak, Directed by Carol Sokoloff, starring Zazzie Bates, Mahala Patterson, Joseph tom Felton, Heather Graham, and Patricia Arquette, and as usual, for complete listing of the cast and crew, you can go to the link in our show notes. It is just me, your boy, Big Ronald, Today, They Will Kill You follows the story of two sisters, one of them older, played by Zazi Bates, the other younger, played by Mahaala from Industry. They endured abusive childhood. In trying to escape, they are separated for ten years until Zazi discovers that her sister is being held captive by what amounts to be a satanic cult of rich people who, in order to keep their immortality, engage in regular human sacrifices. Based on what I just said, I'm sure you're listening to this being like Ronald, why would you watch this? And the answer to that is because I thought this was going to be a much different movie than it turned out to be. I thought this was going to be a fun romp of killing a bunch of Satan worshiping rich people.
Speaker 2: Until the end.
Speaker 1: And while there are aspects of that in the movie, and there are swaths of the movie which are indeed that, there are others whts of the movie that are not that.
Speaker 2: Indeed.
Speaker 1: First of all, let me just start off by saying this movie is it starts off a lot scarier than I would like. I'm not really a big fan of very scary movies or movies that are two tents, unless they're doing it the way Weapons did, which is I mean, I knew when to close my eyes, and it was enough mystery that I stayed for the terror, if you will. Whereas this starts off in a way where I just felt uncomfortable for maybe the first ten to fifteen minutes of the movie until they got to more of the actual lights are on.
Speaker 2: Let's kill some bad guys. Scenes.
Speaker 1: This movie really revels in the big killings and the big beheadings. It's almost killed bill level of gore in some cases. If you don't like gore, you probably shouldn't see this movie because it does gore, and it's not necessarily it's comical gore. It's more like Sam Raimi air quote fun gore. But if that's not your thing, know that there's a lot of it in this movie. And it starts early. Blood doesn't spill its sprays, which, again, if that's not your thing, this is probably not the movie for you. To be honest with you, this review for some of you should be as close as you get to this movie.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I say that with a deep sense of regret because I really enjoyed seeing Mahala, which they didn't give enough to do. I don't think and Zazzi bates together. I love seeing them together their sisters. I'd love to see a movie where they get to be more sisterly and do more fun going on a rampage killing stuff. If there's a sequel, I'd love to see the two of them tearing through a Satanic cult in the name of socialism or communism or something. I just I would love to see that, but that's not really what we get to see. What we get to see here is Zazzi Bates just kicking butt all over the film. Just get in there, taking names, kicking butt. But the parts that I don't like are the satanic elements. They keep referring to the devil as Lord. That's not my thing, you know, y'all know me, y'all know what I stand for.
Speaker 2: Y'all. No, I'm not down with that. And there's like several parts, and then there's the the.
Speaker 1: Cult people are all in pig masks, which I didn't understand until one portion where the devil shows up and it is personified through a pig's head, and when the pig wakes up with the devil inside it, just ahead, y'all. It says the unclean spirit entered the swine, which is a reference from a time that Jesus in the Bible cast out a legion of demons from a man that entered or heard of swine, which then ran off a cliff and killed themselves. The reason why I'm saying this is because they heard that story and said, hey, let's make this into a cool movie.
Speaker 2: Bit.
Speaker 1: So now we got to watch a bunch of pigs in the movie be embodied by demons, which.
Speaker 2: Not for Ronald, you know what I mean, not for Ronald.
Speaker 1: Like by the time we got to that part in the movie, I heard in my head my mom's voice saying, what are we watching? And I agree, what are we watching? I had no idea, and it's not so bad. I don't think it's going to creep me out. I'm not gonna think about it later. I'm definitely gonna forget about this movie. It's only ninety minutes long and there's not much story to tell here. Woman goes into cult under the guise of being a maid and tries to escape with her sister. That's the movie, So it's not gonna stick with me. There's not like symbolism in there that's making me gonna freak me out later. My dad always says in his sermons, don't play pity pat with the devil. I eat you, don't play games with the devil. This movie is playing a lot of pity pat with the devil. And I'm just no, not my thing. But that being said again, Zazzie Bates clocked in Mahala clocked in should have been given more to do, but clocked in. Tom Felton aka old Boy with the from from the movie series. In the book series, you're saying his name right now, You're saying you're saying his name right now. He's a Slytherin h he always says pata like that. Anyway, that guy, he's in it. And Patricia Arquette, Patricia Arquette is brilliant in this movie. Well I'm saying she's brilliant in this movie. No, Patricia Arquette is just brilliant. I don't think she's any more particularly brilliant in this film than she is in everything else she's in. But she certainly brings her Patricia arquetteiz to this film, which is good.
Speaker 2: I believe her in the role that she's in.
Speaker 1: She's kind of the chief of staff for the cult, if you will.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean it's not a bad movie.
Speaker 1: I just don't want to watch it again, which I know typically and I've been a little bit loose recently with what.
Speaker 2: I watch it again? What does that make it as a rating? For some people? This movie is gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's enough fun to justify its existence. But it's also only an hour and thirty minutes, so it certainly is something to watch. This is one of those congratulations on your theater run. Maybe this just goes straight streaming. You're not gonna make a bunch of money in theaters.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: So at this point you kind of say, well, what is the best that studios can hope for?
Speaker 2: I don't really know. To be honest with you, I don't really know.
Speaker 1: With all that being said, I think this movie falls right around three stars. It could go as high as three point twenty five. It could go as low as two point nine to nine. I'm not gonna see it again. And the reason why I'm giving you all that range because at its best it's an above average movie.
Speaker 2: But at its worse, it's like, man, I don't really want to watch it again. I forgot about it. That's two point ninet nine.
Speaker 1: But again, I love Zazzie Bates and I love my Halla, I love Patricia Arcuatt, and they all did a great job in this film. Heather Graham is even a lot of fun in this film. It was it was nice to see her and I hope she gets more big movie roles after this. I'd love to see more of her, but other than that, it's just fine, So I'll we'll leave it at three stars. Just remember the range. It's as good as three point twenty five, as bad as two point nine to nine. There's a version of this movie that's even better, and that's a cult classic, but I don't think it rises quite to that level. And also it falls in with I would say it's sister movie Ready or Not and Ready or Not to either just came out or is about to come out, and which is again about a pair of sisters against a Satan worshiping group of rich people. So it's not an original idea. I'm not sure how both of these got made. It actually seems wild that both of these got made, and that one of them had a sequel, which leads me to believe that if they Will Kill You does well enough, then maybe we'll also get a sequel. But I don't see how it could. When Ready or Not and Ready or Not Too are available for people to watch, so why wouldn't they rather watch that? I understand what these directors and writers are doing by putting poor people against rich people, but give me more of that. I don't need to see too much of the origin stories. Just get the poor people up here killing the rich people and let's call it a day. But it seems to be they go a little further than they should in most cases.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Yeah eh with that. Leaving the Theater is a production of Oh It's Big Ron Studios. I mixed this episode per usual and working hard. This episode is coming out on Monday, and I believe this week I'm dropping some ex extra material on Patreon. An interview with me and Alex Pearlman aka Pearlmania five hundred that will be available on the Patreon. Now that has nothing to do with leaving a Theater. That has to do with Wait for It and the connections I have in the biz, but it's still an interview. I had to schedule, edit, put together, and put up, recorded an intro all of that for you on Patreon. This movie did not have a press screening, which means I had to pay for tickets, which means I had to coordinate myself getting here all of that. There's a lot of work that is going into making this podcast, making Wait for It, working on Heartbreaker, and working on other things, all of them under the umbrella of oh It's Big Ron Studios. This is a hard working year for me, but I feel good about it, and I'm able to do some of the stuff I'm able to do because of the goodness of patrons. So if you listen to this show regularly and you think to yourself, man, I really want to see Ronald Winn in the future, and I want to see this show continue, and I want to make it a little bit easier on production. The lowest plans we have in Patreon are seven bucks a month. Commit to that for one year and watch how everything continues to blossom with your help and you get all the added bonuses of being a part of the Patreon. This is a labor of love and I love doing it, but it's still labor. If that means something to you, go to patreon dot com slash Owitz Big Ron show art from Heather Wilder. Theme music by the mysterious Breakmaster Cylinder. For more information about they Will Kill You, check out our show notes. You can follow me on Instagram, blue Sky, TikTok, threads or letterboxed at.
Speaker 2: Ohitz Big Ron. That's at HI T S B I, g R O N.
Speaker 1: You can find out more about this show and other ODS Big Bron Studio shows by following us on Instagram. At otis big Ron Studios leaving the theater. Will be back soon. Thanks for listening. I'm Ronald Young Junior and I'm tearing through a satanic cult in the name of socialism or communism or something