Speaker 1: It's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast special report.
Speaker 2: The Lapse Fan presents the Complete Hull Coogan, a real American story brought to you by Garage Pierre al Gpa.
Speaker 1: As you know what, we're trying to really get as much of the flavor of what the WWF Hul Cokein worked in his first run in New York in on the complete Hull Cooke.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean that's the only way we can we can call, we can claim take the claim to be the.
Speaker 4: Complete Hull cook That's right.
Speaker 1: And we have watched so many matches, yes, the promos from Allentown and Hamburg, PA, where they did their TV at the time, and when it wasn't Joe McHugh on the microphone, it was the one and only superstar ww announcer as well Gary Michael Capetta ringing in Hogan and the rest of the casting characters that existed in seventy nine to eighty one. And we have mister Kapetta here, the author of Body Slams Memoirs of a Wrestling Pitchman, highly recommended, a wrestling book that's been out there for some time, and we've talked about it many times over the course of the show, and we're really privileged to have Gary in with us here on the complete Gary, thank you so much for joining us. Okay, right off the top, Gary, we'd love your memories of what it was like in the circuit at the time we're talking about seventy nine to eighty one, or of course the tapings. I think every three weeks, Gary, did you announce the Hamburg or the Allentown shows?
Speaker 5: When I first started, I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the Philadelphia Arena, and after about a year and a half I switched over to Hamburg and I was in Hamburg. The Philadelphia shows were every third Tuesday night. The Hamburg shows were every third Wednesday night. So it was I think it was probably eight years all together, and the first year and a half was in Philadelphia and then the rest of that stretch was in Hamburg.
Speaker 4: Pretty good.
Speaker 1: So what was it like if you can recall anything about Whenhult came in, do you remember buzz around him? What was it like announcing him?
Speaker 5: M Well, no, my only reference would be would.
Speaker 2: Come from seeing ah, you know, seeing videos today of what happened back then. Sure, back then there wasn't anything special about him.
Speaker 5: He's the first time he came in.
Speaker 2: He wore a cape which was like a silk, multi colored cape, which I thought was kind of chintzy and cheap looking. But no, there was nothing special other than you know, his side. He was a big guy, and I knew that they were pushing him because they gave him a manager. But no, there was nothing, nothing special about him at all.
Speaker 1: Very interesting. So what degree did did you have interactions with the talent before you went to the ring to announced? Did you have to converse with them backstage at all or did you just show up and start doing your announcing.
Speaker 2: Well, at the time, I was teaching school and I was three hours away by car, so by the time that I got to the arena, it usually would only be within a half hour before we started taping. And on those nights we did three TV hours, so that's eighteen matches wow wow, and at least one dark match, which was at the end of the night, which was a competitive have matched, And that was to draw the people to the show and to keep them to the end.
Speaker 5: So I and this was the first place that.
Speaker 2: New people to the territory would come because they would be put on TV before it's sent around to the local arenas, so I had to get information about them because I had never introduced them before. There wasn't much time to interact with anybody, and there was maybe six to eight minute intermissions in between the first and the second hour, and then the second and the third hour, and I would always change because I didn't want to be seen wearing the same clothes two weeks in a row. Yeah, so I to answer your question for all those res since I didn't have much interaction with the restlers.
Speaker 1: As we've watched all these shows, Gary and JP can certainly attest to this. Jp, we note the differences between when Hulk is called the fabulous, yes, when he's called the incredible And I don't know Michael if Gary, sorry if you can remember, remember this part of it. But we muse endlessly about how some weeks, either you or Joe refer to him. Well, actually, if Gary, you were the one who took the note apparently to call him the fabulous whole Cogan, Joe would call me incredible Hull Cogan, and then Vince on commentary would correct him and say the fabulous whole Cogan. I mean, do you remember that specific note?
Speaker 2: No? No, okay, Now, as I sit here today. It's it's insignificant.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I know there was no big deal. It was I received.
Speaker 2: Let me think a second, sure, hmm, Maybe I did not receive anything printed. There was a list of the matches that was taped to the wall, and there probably was nothing. There was nothing typed out, so I would just get the information from the wall and when I would talk to the wrestler the first time he came in, he gave me where he was from, when he weighed, and if there was anything special about introducing him, and I guess it was at that point that I learned if he had a manager, who was manager was and then if there was, then I never would check back with him like in the coming takings, and if there was any change to be made, they let me know that there was a change.
Speaker 5: Otherwise I wouldn't I wouldn't know.
Speaker 4: Cool. So it's good to know that's how it worked.
Speaker 1: The reason we've talked about it Gary over the weeks as we've looked at Hult's career is when he first started out in Alabama in the spring of seventy nine, he was called the Hulk for the first time, and that was clearly a ripoff of what was going on with lu Frigno and the Incredible Hulk at the time. Ripoff is, you know, not the best way to put it, but that's where they got it from, and I think there was some sensitivity. We talked to Charlie Platt, who did the television announcing down there back then, and there was a bit of sensitivity about, you know, Marvel coming after them on copyright grounds if they called him the Incredible Hulk, which of course was a character in the Marvel series. So we wondered if at any point there was word to you guys as announcers, as the voices of the show, that we don't want to call him incredible, we want to call him fabulous. Maybe interchange the two so that we can't be accused of, you know, trying to use someone else's copyright.
Speaker 5: If that was the case, I was not aware of it.
Speaker 4: Very good, fair enough.
Speaker 1: So here you are announcing these shows and we were at the Spectrum one time he was wrestling on and there was a little bit of jostling while you're holding the microphone. Holt kind of gets in your face, and I think even kind of gives you a little bit of a shove. Do you remember anything like that where you were in the ring and wrestlers Hogan or anybody else would kind of jump at you and try to get some heat by giving you a hard time. Was that talked about ahead of time? I was curious about that.
Speaker 5: Everything was spontaneous.
Speaker 1: So how did you handle that? If he's coming at you like that?
Speaker 2: Just do what makes sense. That's that's the bottom line. If you do what's logical.
Speaker 5: If if.
Speaker 2: You're five eight and one hundred and fifty pounds and this three hundred pound guy who's let's say six four or five six comes after you, what.
Speaker 5: Would you do? Just do it? Just do what's logical.
Speaker 3: Run away, get out of the arena, go as far away as possible for me?
Speaker 4: Is I would? I would leave the arena never to be seen again.
Speaker 5: You just watched what I did, and that's what was logical.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, that was That was fascinating to know that that was spontaneous, because yeah, that's that's where the're putting folks on the spot. But they it was a different business back then. I'd imagine if you haven't.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't want to know, right, I wouldn't want to know I had interactions with George Steele, Jimmy Snooka, Mousse, Monroe, Hogan, Andre, you know, just spur Mike Sharp, Just things happen, and.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the decisions that they make are spur of the moment decisions and it's up to me to react however, you know, whatever is appropriate.
Speaker 4: All right, good?
Speaker 1: Can you tell us about Joe McHugh, your dealings with him?
Speaker 4: What kind of guy he was?
Speaker 1: He's an interesting character in this time period in WWF.
Speaker 2: I didn't have dealings with Joe. There was no for the two of us to be at the same place at the same time.
Speaker 1: Oh never, okay, understood? Yeah, well it was his was he sort of with the commission in terms of why he got assigned to shows? I had the understanding that the WWF, if they had their choice, might not have used him as much as they did. Did you get any sense of that in your time there?
Speaker 5: I don't know, because I wasn't around him at all. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, one character that's around quite a bit. Character perhaps isn't the greatest word, but is doctor George Zaharni, and you see him front row on a ton of these shows in this time period. What was your sense of George and kind of what he was he was there to do, and to what degree were you surprised when all the controversy happened with him.
Speaker 5: I wasn't surprised.
Speaker 2: I mean, he he had you know, he was freely distributing drugs to the guys, and yeah, I mean, and that's what he was accused and convicted of, So there was no surprise. Once again, I didn't have any interaction with him. He was a little bit of a ham you know. You can tell. You can tell, I mean especially if you if you watch the show now and you take a look at it back then. At the time, I didn't necessarily like watching myself on television, so I wasn't watching the TV show. But now when I take a look at it, I see, you know, for instance, there might be a certain referee who just happens every time I'm introducing someone who happens to be right behind me. You know that that's not that just doesn't happen. He's positioning himself so he gets on camera, So.
Speaker 1: He gets on camera. That I'm glad for that color because I did wonder if he had to sit right there, you know, hard camera, right in the center, so to speak, and of course he did angles. You might remember the night he didn't get involved with Eddie Gilbert got pile driven on the floor and he did like a fiery promo like he was a manager or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have no memory of that, Okay.
Speaker 1: When it comes to Backland, Backland was the champion at the time that Hogan came in, of course, and they worked together, particularly in the earliest days of Hogan's arrival, and some of the matches we've seen were quite good. Can you take us back to any memories you have of sort of the energy Backland was able to create in the arenas at this time period and how different it was than a Bruno or a Hogan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I h it was less. I mean I can't. Yeah, I don't. When you say create energy, I don't even associate that with Backlind.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 5: With Runo, there was.
Speaker 2: The reaction of the fans came from their heart and it was an emotional reaction. Reaction to Hogan now starting to use music was more of a this is a cool thing to do, and the reaction came more from their brain as opposed there to their heart. And so there were energies, but different kinds of energies. I don't associate either of those with with Backland. And it's not that people didn't care. People care, but it was it wasn't as deep. I guess that's how I would put it.
Speaker 4: Very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a perfect way to put it, I think, because you hear so much about you know, he was howdy doty, he was boring, he was he wasn't, you know, the most charismatic force, of course, coming after Superstar. But then Gary, we go back and watch these matches JP and in some cases it's like he's got the house on fire.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like it's hard for us, not.
Speaker 1: Sitting in the seats in the arenas at the time, to see what people are even talking about with him. I get that he's dull looking and sounding, but the crowd seems excited for him.
Speaker 3: And I was surprised actually in some of the matches at how fast paced he was because I'm you know, I'm a kid of the nineties, and so I remember watching him and like in the early nineties when he first made his come back to w W, and he's being kind of slow and not exciting, and and I was surprised at how at the level he was able to bring Hulk Hogan up to in the ring.
Speaker 5: Well, of the three of them, he's the best wrestler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, technically, there's there's no doubt about that. But the best wrestler doesn't always sell the most tickets.
Speaker 4: Of course, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's another kind of head scratcher with Bob because you know, while the Garden wasn't teeming at the brim like it was with Bruno, in terms of attendance, for Bob he did quite well too. His Garden attendances were pretty solid. It's it's a fascinating run that doesn't get talked about a lot. And of course mentioned he took the belt off Superstar. What did you think Gary about Superstar Graham versus hul Cochin. I don't know if you ever thought about the two in contrast but or in comparison, but it really looks and sounds like Hulk was taking so much from Superstar at the time that they maybe even saw Hulk as a replacement for Superstar, who wasn't even in the mix at the time Hulk came in in seventy nine. Did you think that a Hulk was you know, maybe too much of an imitation of Billy Graham.
Speaker 2: The Hulk, Well, just just my opinion, he was more manufactured.
Speaker 5: He was more manufactured by management.
Speaker 2: So I'm not saying that the way Superstar League Grant presented himself was natural or the way he the way you know he ordinarily would be, but that all came from him, and I think Hogan was more of a creation, an external creation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a very stude point. Yeah, that's sort of what I meant by that could sound like an imitation. Is with Graham, you could tell it was coming from his gut, coming from this sort of you know, idea he had created of how he talks and how it carries himself, and it did come off natural. Hogan, it seemed like he was really trying to do his best to have the same intonation as Billy Graham, really sound exactly like him. And that's exactly what it is. He's sort of being being told or telling himself to mold himself to that model.
Speaker 2: When so, I guess the question is which to which I don't have the answer is if you are correct, and I don't know, I don't know anything that would contradict what you just said. Why didn't they just stick with superstar Billy Graham?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I think not not to get to the history lessons, because I'm not an expert in all this, but I think Billy kind of left after they put the title on Backland in seventy eight. I don't know if you remember much of this, but Billy was very vocal in his book and in interviews before his passing about how vehemently against losing the title he was to Backland in that he thought he was really rolling, you know, that the garden was sold out. The people, even though he was a heel, were showing up just in as much of a droves as they would for a Bruno in some ways, and he really did. He kind of felt slighted by the fact that they stuck with this concrete plan to put the belt on Bob Backland at a day and time certain, even though he had more than earned the chance to see how much further he could take it. So I don't know if that jobs with your recollection, Gary, but I think it was less that they got rid of Graham and more that he skipped town because he was frustrated by that decision. But maybe it's more complicated than that.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at you're you're saying that he left town after they made the decision, and I'm saying, why did they make that decision? So I agree, So, I you know, I agree with his with his take on things.
Speaker 5: I would have been frustrated too.
Speaker 2: I can understand where he's coming from, especially if you.
Speaker 5: Fast forward and knowing that.
Speaker 2: After Backland's run, that the next law run was someone who who's appeal was even though it was manufactured, it was along the same lines of what brought to the table.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you can't you can't stick with me, but you can go with him. Perhaps the difference then, Garrett, I'd love your thoughts on this to the degree you were able to observe it. Seventy eight we're talking Vince Senior. Eighty four when Hulk is made, We're talking Vince Junior. You know, how did that transition land in your kind of awareness? Did those changes you know, become evident to you over time that Vince Junior is really the one who has bought this thing. I think it was an eighty two and it is kind of steering the ship.
Speaker 2: Now not from the creative side of things, because in order to be in the know on that, you would have to be behind the scenes in their meetings and on their eavesdropped in their telephone calls between the partner. So I don't think there's anybody who other than there's nobody alive today other than Vinnie who would know that answer to that question. But I definitely saw the changes and how they affected me, which the main one was grillamant Soon losing his partnership status affected me because I was brought into wrestling by grillam on Soon, and I was kept working by grillam on Soon, and I was put on TV and kept on TV by Grilla Monson. So when Grilla mon Soon lost his power, I lost my position.
Speaker 3: You were pretty tack with girl, Yes, how how far by did that relationship.
Speaker 2: Go nineteen seventy four when he was he brought me into wrestling?
Speaker 3: Did did you ever partake in his Italian sandwiches that I've heard so much about? We've heard so much.
Speaker 2: About Italian sandwiches that I have no memory of that.
Speaker 5: He's a lapsed fan.
Speaker 1: Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio and JP.
Speaker 5: Soorro he's a lapsed fan.
Speaker 1: Wrestling podcast Brent Solomon just came out with a book and he talked about how Gorilla would famously slap together sandwiches on the road and it was kind of a it was kind of a luxurious thing to travel with him because he, you know, obviously insisted on the finest foods in some ways.
Speaker 2: Well, I read and I participated in Brian's book. But you just answered the question you said on the road. I was teaching school at the time. I wasn't on the road.
Speaker 4: Just showing up at the tapings, right. Yeah, we noticed that.
Speaker 1: I noticed going back through Hogan's career, saw that really one of the first people that was fed to him was Gorilla. He pinned Gorilla very early in that run. I think it was as early as February of nineteen eighty after coming in in November of seventy nine. Do you have any memories of talking to Gorilla Gary about kind of where he saw his role establishing new guys in the territory like that or was that just something for Hogan.
Speaker 5: I'm not understanding your question.
Speaker 1: When new guys would come into the territory, would they often be put over Gorilla to establish themselves as challengers to the champion.
Speaker 5: When you say put over, you mean would they lose? Would they beat Gorilla? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 4: That's right? Yeah, pardon me, Yes, would they beat Gorilla? Often? Did he see that as part of his role?
Speaker 5: Hey, there are two Gorillas.
Speaker 2: There's the wrestler guerrilla, uh, and there's management Gorilla. That's why I didn't understand your question. I guess the answer is sometimes, But they were, you know, they were always once. Once Gorilla was more was closer to retirement, then he would have been and you're what you're what, you're really.
Speaker 5: Stepping stone to the champion. Yes, and yes, I.
Speaker 2: Mean sometimes he would. He would serve and you know, in that role. So then he would have been not necessarily a headliner by then, but like a semi final wrestler.
Speaker 5: And that would be.
Speaker 2: Those would be the guys, the semi final wrestlers would be the guys that do the job for well, he really do the job. It really sounds one sided. I don't meet a one sided kind of battle. But they would lose to the new guy in the territory to establish his credibility excellent, very good.
Speaker 1: We know from books that have come out in the past several years, really that Vince Junior, Vinnie took over and bought the company from his dad in eighty two. That's when all the paperwork was passed. But I think a lot of the fans thought it really didn't happen until maybe late eighty three eighty four, because that's when you really started to see the talent raids and a lot of the other aggressive moves. And of course Vince Senior died in eighty four. Do you remember being at the tapings and such as you were at that time period buzz about Vinnie actually buying the whole company or did he have his hands on it before people really realize that.
Speaker 2: I said, the only way it affected me where I worked and how often I worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it comes to not Joe MQ. When it comes to the tapings, and we noticed that the fans hit the ring with autograph seekers. You know, they have their posters, they have their programs and things like that. That's obviously lost history. You don't see that anymore. Fans can't get anywhere near the ring. They're actually tackled if they do. How did that all work? You know, what was the understanding between the audience and the wwfs to when they could hit the ring like that.
Speaker 4: What we were curious about.
Speaker 5: That in between matches once.
Speaker 2: Once the wrestlers started being introduced fans, we'd go back to their seats.
Speaker 5: That's the way it was back from when I was a little boy and going to the matches in the sixties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you would, you would, I mean, and you either knew enough or a local policeman who would be serving as security quote unquote security for the night, would you know, would say, hey, kids, you know, back to your seats.
Speaker 5: Back to your seats. It was he just knew that. That's how it worked.
Speaker 3: Not not to get too far off topic, but it just made me think, what was your what was maybe your favorite moment going to matches as a kid, or any specific memory.
Speaker 5: There was.
Speaker 2: Asbury Bark Convention Hall was the first place and I was brought to wrestling, and then after that I went to various mostly there were armories in northern New Jersey and one match in particular was and they would the promotion would do this, not often at all, I mean it was very seldom, but it was a six man tag match and Bruno San Martino.
Speaker 5: He was my guy, he was my hero.
Speaker 2: And so he was in the six man tag and these were three out of five fall matches and he got hurt badly in I think it was the first fall, could have been the second fall, so badly that they took him from the ring. He was bleeding and he went back to the locker room and the match continued.
Speaker 5: So it was three on two.
Speaker 2: And eventually it came to the rubber match and Bruno, miraculously, with a bandage around his head, would.
Speaker 5: Would shoot from the locker room.
Speaker 2: Remember we didn't have stages, you know, the guy would just come down the aisles and he came back into the match to win the match. And probably as a kid, that was the most exciting event that I witnessed. Imagine as a fan, I also want to Shay Stadium, you know, to to that into you know, a huge I guess that was Bruno versus Pedro, But as far as what really got me into the moment and the excitement, it would have been that six man tag match.
Speaker 3: I imagine that there were many people, if not all the people in the audience that night who lost their voices after Bruno came back in after getting injured.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it was, it was. It was just wonderful.
Speaker 3: We were you close with Bruno during your time.
Speaker 5: I became close with Bruno. Yeah, during my time and after.
Speaker 2: We had interactions all the way through into the nineties. When I was with w CW, Bruno was brought in a couple of times to referee matches in w CW.
Speaker 5: He also was there for the Him and Andre were there for the I guess it was twenty fifth anniversary of wrestling on TBS, Yeah, which we did out of the Center stage in Atlanta. And Yeah, and I we socialized after the show. They had an after party. And then.
Speaker 2: A little later on when I left w CW, I did some voiceover work in New York for they had had at the time the nine hundred wrestling lines and they had the nine hundred boxing lines, and there was need for me to talk to Bruno about how to pronounce certain Italian towns where the boxers in particular were from. And yeah, and I'm trying to remember whether or not it's possible that he was.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bruno also was brought into Ring of Honor when I worked. That's when I did the backtrage interviewing with Ring of Honor, and I think he was in New York City. Yeah, so I had a relationship with Bruno through all those years.
Speaker 3: Wow, did you ever have the privilege of going to his home?
Speaker 5: Not Bruno? No, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't announce in Pittsburgh when.
Speaker 5: I was with w w F.
Speaker 2: When I was with w c W, I was on the road and there were one night ers and we were in and out. It wasn't like my relationship with Curl Monsoon, who we both lived in the same state, about an hour away, and with Monsoon I would socialize and get to know him and his family, not so much with Bruno.
Speaker 1: That's terrific. You mentioned the Shae Stadium. It was actually seventy two pedro versus Bruno. What was it like watching matches at Shaye Stadium, Gary.
Speaker 2: That's not my favorite kind of thing to do, whether it's whether it's wrestling or whether it's a concert. It's a little bit removed. Yeah, And if memory serves me correctly, wasn't that a one hour match?
Speaker 4: Yes, the Curfew draw, I think it was seventy five minutes.
Speaker 5: So that was you know, that was kind of tough to sit through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a lot to ask. It didn't happen to rain that night, did it? That's always the big fear.
Speaker 5: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: They did Shay three times seventy two, they did it in seventy six when they had the Ali Enoki match, and then I think Andre wrestled Chuck Webner, and then in nineteen eighty for the last time, they did it Bruno versus Abesco and Hogan versus Andre. Were you perchance at any of those? Just the first one, the very first one, Okay, very good, Yeah, because we were always wondering what unique challenges it might present to a ring announcer. Vince Junior actually does the ring announcing for the nineteen eighty one. To be in a stadium like that, it must be much a much different proposition than announcing at a at the Hamburg tapings.
Speaker 2: Now, I guess the closest I can come to. I did some of the domes, not that we not that we ever had in w c W, and not that we ever filled the dome. But I remember Flair Steamboat in New Orleans Super the super Dome. I remember, Oh, let's see, maybe Toronto had a dome, the Hubert H.
Speaker 5: Humphrey Metro Dome with.
Speaker 2: The A W A Super Super Clash maybe two.
Speaker 5: I announced that the Dome in Houston. Yeah, no, I.
Speaker 2: With what I did, there wasn't much. I didn't change it up. I didn't change what I did. It really wasn't necessary. You know, in those with those shows there were only I don't know, maybe twelve thousand people tops, so we're not talking eighty thousand as you see today with WWE.
Speaker 1: Joran' also not open air like in Chase Stadium, which is a different deal as well.
Speaker 5: Bruno would do comments true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, WWF had Bruno in the chair announcing when Hogan first came in. He was there for a few years with Vince and then he left the chair and Pat Patterson did the announcing. Could you tell us anything about why you think Bruno and Pat switch rolls there and towards the end of eighty if you remember that at all.
Speaker 2: Once again, that was an executive decision. You'd have to be in the room, you'd have to.
Speaker 5: I could.
Speaker 2: My guess is Bruno did what Bruno wanted to do, and for whatever reason, Bruno, and you know, he was vocal about his dissatisfaction with the direction of what was going on in the ring, and that's probably why he wanted to distance himself from it.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, Gary, mean, he said, what's going on in the ring? What do you mean by that?
Speaker 5: The style of wrestling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting to watch the contrast and styles at the time because Hogan comes in and pretty much just he just bulldozes these guys and two on one matches and it's it's really it's it's really not much to look at. Do you think that that's kind of what Bruno would take issue with? Some of these matches were just so so formulaic and just not technical at all.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily about it being technical, because Bruno wasn't.
Speaker 5: A technical wrestler. He was he was.
Speaker 2: More in favor of wrestling being emphasized and less in favor of entertainment being.
Speaker 5: Emphasized.
Speaker 2: His philosophy was more that people should be entertained by the wrestling, not that you know, not that they shouldn't be entertainment, because no one would come if there was it wasn't entertaining.
Speaker 5: And also he was turned off by what he saw.
Speaker 2: Backstage with the use of steroids and drugs.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he certainly was observing that in the chair ring side for sure. Well, Gary, it is terrific to get your memories of this time period. We really appreciate you revisiting what it was like. We're asking all of our guests as part of this Hulk Cogan project just to kind of reflect on Hulk and what you thought of the career he made and in contrast to just the guy that you know, as you said at the beginning, was sort of forgetful or not forgetful, but forget a bull. When when you first laid eyes on him, what was it like to see him take off to become such a big attraction.
Speaker 4: What what did you make of what he was able to achieve?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was it was incredible.
Speaker 2: I'm remembering the Meadowlands Arena and him wrestling Big John stud in the the Body Slams Challenge matches.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean when when Hogan was was brought to the ring and I was introducing him, you know, you couldn't hear yourself, you know, talk, The building would shake, it would be thunderous.
Speaker 5: It was. It was like nothing that we had experience prior to that. Mm hmm. Yeah, So it was incredible. Mhm.
Speaker 1: Gary, Michael Capetta. We want to thank you so much for giving us some of your time today as part of the project.
Speaker 4: We really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: You're welcome, thanks for asking.
Speaker 3: Really is.
Speaker 4: A production of the Labs Entertainment Group.
Speaker 5: Its content is intended for reven use only.
Speaker 4: Really, we want