Speaker 1: Hey, it's Wes, and I am so excited to share that Deviltown is back. I know it's been a really long time since you've heard anything from me on the disappearance of Kelly Wilson. So before we dive back in, I feel like I owe you an explanation for what's been going on, at least from my end. It won't take long. I created Deviltown for a media company called Imperative Entertainment, so they own the show, not me. There's been a lot of changes in the podcast business, and Imperative quit making podcast right around the time Deviltown came out, and that's why Deviltown ended with no resolution. It's like we hype up these new leads that we're chasing, these big developments, We get your hopes up, and then you never hear from me again. Like literally years have gone by at this point. It took a lot of time, a lot of patients negotiations, but I was finally able to license Deviltown back from the owner, so I can keep chipping away at this story and keep searching for answers. I've got a lot to catch you up on, So let's just dive in.
Speaker 2: Kelly Day Wilson was seventeen when she disappeared in nineteen ninety two, and.
Speaker 3: I got in my truck, she got in her car and rest. As I say, is history.
Speaker 1: I mean a little town like this, you can just imagine what an impact it had. I mean, you know, this girl just vanished into the na It's an unsolved mystery out of Upshur County involving law enforcement, a satanic cult, and a missing girl.
Speaker 4: Following the story that would give the small East Texas town of Gilmer national exposure, but not the good kind.
Speaker 3: We need answers. This is thirty one years now, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 5: We need to get this solved, and we need to make some noise until we get some answers.
Speaker 3: Kelly needs to come.
Speaker 1: Home from Free Range Productions in association with Imperative Entertainment. I'm West Ferguson and this is Deviltown episode twelve. The lead. So back when Deviltown ended the first time around, Amanda Gammel, that private investigator and I were both chasing this lead. That was extremely promising. It felt huge, And later I found out that the Gilmourt Police Department was also pursuing this lead. Now I've got to be pretty careful about what I say, because I promised not to reveal anything that was told to me in confidence, and it's really important that I hold up that promise I made so that people in the future will also feel comfortable reaching out to me with important information. But I can't tell you that I took it very seriously and it seemed credible. And I can actually give you most of the details anyway about these allegations because they eventually spilled into the public. So word got out that Kelly Wilson's body was buried in this tiny community outside of Gilmer called Glenwood. It's about ten miles southeast of town. And what I can share with you comes from an anonymous Facebook user who claimed to be the cousin of this guy from Gilmer named Terry Roberts. Terry and his now ex wife, Donna lived in a neighborhood in that little community of Glenwood that at the time was called Glenwood Acres. At the time that Kelly disappeared, Terry was twenty years old and Donna was sixteen. They were in bed the night that she vanished, and supposedly, according to this information that we received, Terry gets a call from an unknown caller and he tells Donna that he's got to get up and go help a friend, and he was supposedly gone all night into the early morning. Later, Terry allegedly said that he helped bury Kelly's body at a house and he even gave a specific location under a tree by the fence line in Glenwood Acres. This is a direct quote that was attributed to Terry. She's dead and I know where she is. And this person alleged that over the years, Terry would get drunk and he would often talk about Kelly. There were some other allegations also thrown out in another Facebook post Terry's own son in law. This guy named Hunter also said that Terry made death threats against his own family members. But from what I can tell, Terry has never been charged with anything, and of course we're all innocent until proven guilty. Terry himself also jumped in the comments to defend himself against these allegations involving Kelly Wilson, and he speculated that it was not a cousin as this anonymous comment or claimed to be, but it was actually his own daughter who was leveling these allegations against him that tied him back to Kelly Wilson, and he said that his daughter was quote trying to be messy, and I mean it was definitely messy. But when these family members looked up the property details of the house that Terry had allegedly pointed out to them, guess what it was actually Joe Henry's old house. I'm sure you remember who Joe Henry was if you listen to all of our earlier episodes of Deviltown. Joe was the video store employee often described as the video store manager who worked with Kelly there on the Courthouse Square in Gilmer, and he was the last person we know of who saw Kelly on the night she disappeared in January nineteen ninety two. And from everything we've heard, Joe was never really considered a suspect in the case. Like Terry, he is also innocent until proven guilty. Joe doesn't own the house anymore, but I'm told that he did live there at the time of Kelly's disappearance. Whatever was going on, the current owner of the property was also following all these allegations and this stuff that was spelling onto Facebook. And when I talked to her. She told me that she also believed that Kelly was buried on her land, and not only that, but she had given the Gilmer Police Department permission to search her property for the body. So, I mean, I can't tell you how big this was. Like, I'm in the middle of producing this podcast and we are getting fed all of this stuff, mostly off the record. We're chasing down all the leaves that we can, and it's happening on this tight deadline. We have a new episode to put out every week, and so that's why I know. I was so excited, and for the first time, I thought, gosh, maybe we will crack this case. So I was waiting for the Gilmer Police Department to do this search, and in the meantime, I was trying to see what else I could find about Terry, and I was told he had an adult son with another woman named Robbie Hi Minez, and he actually got Robby pregnant when they were teenagers, but they actually split up before kelly disappearance and before he got together with the woman who would become his wife, Donna. So it was kind of a long shot that Robbie would know anything. But I had to ask. I found an address in Kilgore, also the town where I grew up, about thirty miles south of Gilmour. When I pulled up, there was a woman standing in the doorway. I'm looking for Robbie Hemanez, Hey, Robbie. My name is Wes Ferguson. I'm a journalist and reporter, and I'm working on a big project on the Kelly Wilson disappearance. And I heard that you were from Gilmer and you might have known her back in the day. No, I did, Sweatie, I sure didn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't know her like that.
Speaker 7: No, I sure didn't, wish I did.
Speaker 1: Do you have any idea what might have happened to her?
Speaker 4: I'm no, I sure don't at all.
Speaker 7: You talk about that growth.
Speaker 8: And witness when I went to school, yes, oh that was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I never really not.
Speaker 6: I don't know, Sweetie, I really don't.
Speaker 1: So it just a wild rumor that Terry Roberts might have known something. I would hope not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really would, I thought, not so much joking.
Speaker 1: Okay, this was interesting. Her son that she had with Terry had already told her about these allegations. You thought your son was joking.
Speaker 7: Not saying something to me about I said, what do you talk about?
Speaker 1: But I never heard that.
Speaker 7: I thought m's so advessent.
Speaker 1: So I guess Terry said something.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I never ever heard that.
Speaker 1: Apparently Terry's been going around saying that as she really yeah, I'm like, in.
Speaker 8: This gracious, why would he want to bring that on hisself and in his.
Speaker 7: Life he's doing good.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I never ever heard anything like that.
Speaker 7: Mm hmm, yeah, never had.
Speaker 5: He was no rumor or nothing that I remember of as a irber staying at Terry had he saying, you do with death?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, Miss Robbie, I sure appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you. Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 9: Take care.
Speaker 1: So I didn't get much from Robbie, but she did confirm that she had heard about Terry possibly claiming he was involved with kelly disappearance, and she heard that from her son Scottie, even though she says she thought he was joking. I also went over to Terry's house north of Gilmour, and on my way there I made the mistake of calling my wife Laura and telling her what I was about.
Speaker 7: To do.
Speaker 1: I've been a journalist for so long that sometimes I forget Going up and knocking on a stranger's door isn't the most normal thing, especially when this stranger is being accused of some kind of crime. But anyway, I knock on the door and it seems like people are home. I could hear dogs barking, but no one ever comes to the door. So I call Laura and I tell her she can stop freaking out, and I drive back into town and interview a few other people. At this point in my career, I'd written like I don't know a million newspaper articles, so many magazine stories, and nothing I'd ever done before got the kind of response that Deviltown did. It seemed like everybody in East Texas was talking about it. Half of them had leads for me, or suggestions, rumors, gossip. I was hearing from people like on all the social media channels, text emails, phone calls. It was so much that I actually hired a young reporter named James Hernandez to help me pursue the leads that seem the most promising. I didn't have any luck when I knocked on Terry's door, but James was able to get in touch with Terry's son, Scotty, and Scotty agreed to talk to James, or so we thought.
Speaker 9: Ella, Hi Scotty, this is James. I just messaged you on Facebook. Yes, how you doing today?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 9: So I'm doing good? Thanks for asking?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 9: Well, when West spoke to your mother, Robbie, he meant is she told him about how Terry Roberts would make suspicious statements about Kelly when he was drinking, like, for example, that he knows where her body's buried. You know, weird stuff like that. And I was just reaching out to see if maybe you remember anything like this being around him.
Speaker 2: So let me ask this, how did you get in contact with Robbie?
Speaker 9: To begin with, I'm not sure it was my partner Wes that got in touch with her. I know he's been in touch with a lot of people from Kilmer Kilgore, so you know it might have been a friend that got him in touch with her.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, be honest with you're talking to Terry Roberts, trot Now, he told me about somebody who does his mother while.
Speaker 1: Back, hold on, let's unpack this because what just happened is kind of crazy. Here's James thinking he's talking to Scotty, but it's not Scotty at all. He's on the phone with Terry, the guy we've actually been trying to reach.
Speaker 2: And I assumed it had something to do with my old as Doug. We're not talking right now.
Speaker 7: And she's kind of I don't.
Speaker 2: Know how not put it, Matcy lies the stirrup trouble. Don hers she probably talk someone there that's just trying to start up trouble.
Speaker 1: Terry said he had absolutely nothing to do with Kelly Wilson's disappearance.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't know that girl. I heard all the stories, like everybody else said sitting on TV.
Speaker 7: And all the rumors that kind of heard about it. Everything like said like everybody else.
Speaker 9: Right, So yeah, it could have just been like some sort of mix up, just someone trying to steer trouble, that's what you're trying to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I said, I didn't know the girl, even think I watched that episode on TV pattern you know, then getting the officer mixed up in it, all the curves and the devil worsh it's just all the craziness.
Speaker 7: All the rumors I heard. She's under the I'll shet the pizza Hud and Gilmer. You know she's burying their row constructed. But no, I was sure you no, I didn't even know that girl.
Speaker 9: I appreciate you clearing all this up. Yeah, thank you, alrighty, thank you too. Bye.
Speaker 1: After the break, police ask if they can search for Kelly's body on a property outside of town, and the property owner says yes.
Speaker 8: Immediately, I knew it was Kelly Wilson, and I kind of put two and two together because I'd already known that I was living in Joe Henry's parents old house.
Speaker 1: So the whole terry thing didn't really go anywhere, but the tip that Kelly's body was in Glenwood Acres was something worth looking into, according to the current owner of that property in question. The Gilmer Police Department eventually brought two kadaver dogs, a black lab and a blonde lab to the house where Joe Henry used to live outside of Gilmour.
Speaker 8: So they had asked if they could bring Kidaber dogs within the next few days. Well and behold, it was like literally the next day that they came up and did the kid averdogs. He went back and forth with both dogs at different times.
Speaker 1: The dogs searched the front, the back. It was a four acre property, and they go by the chicken coops and it turns out there's this concrete pad that is mostly underground, and I can only imagine what's going through the current owner's mind. She didn't know Kelly, but she was very familiar with the story and is like, at this point, totally convinced that Kelly is buried on her property. But when she contacted me, she was pretty critical of the police department. She said that they spent less than an hour investigating the area, and she used investigating the area in scare quotes. But the dogs did have a change of behavior separately on the same exact location. One of the officers used this long probing stick under the concrete pad, and when they brought the black lab out, it went back to that pad and alerted.
Speaker 8: On the spot. So it wasn't just a changing behavior, it actually alerted.
Speaker 1: So at this point they don't dig. The police say they want to come back later with ground penetrating radar, but they admit that it might take quite a bit of time, like maybe a few months to even get access to the equipment they need. Property owner says, okay, that's fine. But less than an hour after the police leave, they call back and they ask, can we just come bust up that concrete pad? So that tells you that they are taking this very seriously too. A guy from the city water department actually comes out with his tractor and he digs up the pad and then they dig down about half a foot. But then they stop.
Speaker 8: They get here, they dig up the pad, kind of go about maybe a half a foot, covered it back up and said that's there. There's nothing there.
Speaker 1: There's nothing there. Now this really puzzles the owner and her husband, And why do you go to all this trouble to bust up this concrete where the dog's alert and then you only go down half a foot?
Speaker 8: How do you know that something's not there? Well anyway, So it just kind of threw us for a little bit of a loot because I felt like enough wasn't done, like it wasn't done carefully.
Speaker 1: But apparently they felt like the soil hadn't been disturbed. Somehow they could tell that. So they just give up. And the current owner is not happy and she says, I'm convinced that Kelly is here, okay, and somehow. There's also these paranormal investigators who are also investigating Kelly's case, and they hear the same story that I do about Kelly being buried at this property, and they also get permission to go search.
Speaker 8: We had some paranal investigators come out. I'm sure you heard about that. They came by here, and I won't necessarily disclose exactly what they found because we're still trying to one process at ourselves and two figure out what our next steps are.
Speaker 1: The things they found, the convincing things were like kind of in the paranormal realm, not like physical evidence.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, at the same true that the dogs alerted at even when they were here. I'm like, this is weird. This is just weird.
Speaker 1: I'm not really big on paranormal stuff. No disrespect people who were into that. It's just not for me. I was invited to go participate, but I just said no. But I'm told that while these investigators are on the property, they're like recording all this audio and they're getting this like spooky stuff. Some people believe that it's Kelly's voice. That audio was never shared with me. It's not online anywhere. Nothing really seems to come of that, I'm told that another excavation was also done with the soil specialist, who also said the soil at that concrete pad was undisturbed. There's also some speculation that that concrete pad predated Kelly's disappearance in nineteen ninety two. They're also interested in this old burn pile they find, but the owner says that it's actually stuff that the previous owner had burned, so supposedly not related to Kelly's case at all. And when all of this information spills into the public, it all gets to be a little too much for the current owner. And now she says that she is confident that Kelly's body is nowhere on her property. She's asking the public to respect her private property, which of course I always have and I think most people have. You know, it's all kind of disappointing. It's like, in the moment, this seemed real, you know, this felt credible, and I was doing everything I could to help advance this case. Was really excited to hear that the Gilmer Police Department was taking it seriously. It was disappointing that they didn't dig any further. It's also kind of crazy that they weren't really treating this possible crime scene with more care. They were in a you know, they got a city employee with this tractor to bust up the concrete and dig up if something had been there, you know, it could have been disturbed pretty easily. But unfortunately nothing came of it. It seems like this promising lead just kind of fizzled out, like so many other leads over the last thirty years. But Kelly's loved ones, they're not losing hope.
Speaker 3: This is thirty one years now. This is ridiculous.
Speaker 5: We need to get this solved, and we need to make some noise until we get some answers.
Speaker 1: That's after the break.
Speaker 6: Today mark's thirty one years since Kelly Wilson and Gilmer disappeared, and her friends and family continued a wait for closure.
Speaker 8: Tonight, they held a candle.
Speaker 1: Light about a week after we shared the last episode of Deviltown, thirty one years to the night since Kelly disappeared, the people of Gilmer gathered outside the old video store, the last place where anybody saw her, and they held a candlelight.
Speaker 4: Vigil if they baseball at the ca they've seen it moved towards one group of suspects, and then nothing panned out, and another group of suspects and nothing panned out, and then it's like things just fizzled out.
Speaker 10: The thirty year mark has really hit home and hit hard for a lot of us in the community. And we've decided to pull together and pull off our resources and you see if we can get some answers.
Speaker 1: They opened the vigil the way a lot of things open around here with a prayer. This is a local pastor, Brother Mike Kessler.
Speaker 6: You were from the future backwards and you knew that we would be gathered here today. God, and you know what happened to Kelly. And Lord Jesus, you're a God of revelation, and we are gathered here today to cry out to you, to reveal to us the truth.
Speaker 1: Jennifer Dean and Kelly were the same age. They would have graduated together the class of ninety two, and in the weeks right before Kelly disappeared, the two of them had been spending a lot of time together.
Speaker 4: If you knew Kelly, you knew a young woman that was full of life. She was beautiful, she was smart, she was bold, she was brave, she was talented, and she had dreams, and she had aspirations, she wanted to go to LSU. She was just somebody that you'd go your whole life and remember, even if you had a brief encounter with her. It's hard to imagine things like this happening in our town. A lot of us here we love Gilmer, We'll have everything about Gilmer. So it just really seemed so out of place, and it really shattered this community. It caused a lot of suspicion and questions, and everybody started locking their door, everybody started making their kids come home sooner.
Speaker 1: Jennifer had a message and a request for the people of Gilmore.
Speaker 4: Kelly had integrity, and I believe if she knew something, if she were here she knew something, she'd say something. This is a small town, people talk, so tonight, My prayer is that people would be burdened to continue to pray for her after tonight and pray for this community, because really the only healing that may come is answers. And if we don't get answers, we know where she is, we know she's arrest. We pray for peace, and we pray for protection for everybody here in our sweet little town.
Speaker 1: And then they lit the candles.
Speaker 10: We light this candle to represent the light of hope. We're transformed by our loss and now walk an unfamiliar road, but we are surrounded by love and grace, and we are not alone.
Speaker 1: Not everybody at the vigil had known Kelly. Lorie Stanley didn't, but she was a year older, living in Gilmour the year it happened, eight months pregnant, and like a lot of people in that town, she never really shook Kelly's disappearance.
Speaker 5: I didn't know Kelly at all, but I've known Kelly from following her story. I could see myself just like Kelly. It scared all of us to death. We didn't know what was going on.
Speaker 3: We didn't know where we could go, who we could trust. It was a scary place to grow up and be. We need answers. This is thirty one years now. This is ridiculous.
Speaker 5: We need to get this solved, and we need to make some noise until we get some answers.
Speaker 3: Kelly needs to come home.
Speaker 1: Heather Quinn was just a kid when Kelly went missing, but Heather actually saw Kelly the night she disappeared.
Speaker 11: Many of us didn't know her on a personal level, but the fact that she has not been found has haunted this town. I mean, I follow a lot of cases where people are still missing to this day, but this is the one case that I have never seen haunked. So many people didn't.
Speaker 3: Never met her, never knew her.
Speaker 11: The last time I entered this building, I was eleven years old and handed her VHS movies. That was the last night that she blocked down here.
Speaker 1: Near the end, they said one thing together.
Speaker 4: Let's all say together. I stand with Kelly. I stand with Kelly. Thank y'all for coming. If you do have any tips or leads, you have any little morsel of information I think is insignificant, you can contact the Gilmer Police Department or Upshur County Crime Stoppers.
Speaker 1: Thirty one years, Noah, nobody and no answers, but a crowd of people who still show up for a girl most of them never met.
Speaker 4: We've got fresh eyes on an old case, and I have hope in that.
Speaker 1: Next time. On Deviltown, a federal police officer from Gilmer sheds new light on the case, and he doubles down on a lead that others dismissed as mere conspiracy. Deviltown is a free range production in association with Imperative Entertainment. The show was created by me Wes Ferguson and edits it by Aislen Gaddis. Music by Robert Ellis. For updates on this case and others, joined our free newsletter at Unforgotten pod dot com