Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to bat Flips and Nerds, the Baseball podcast with a British twist. I am your host Ben Carter, here for a trade deadline recap bonanza and joining me for the pleasure of doing so. It's Darius Austin. Darius, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing all right. I've been enjoying the Olympics, which is obviously very on point for this podcast, but you had lot lots to actually talk about an ILB two this week.
Speaker 1: That has been you know you're saying you've been following I know you. Rob was saying flowing the shooting coacy, which has been your niche sport of choice so far?
Speaker 2: Darius, Yeah, I think I think probably the kayak slalom. It's pretty good fun to watch. I'm alsoll looking forward to the kayak cross, which do you remember the snowboard cross from the Winter Olympics. It's basically basically that in kayak, so I think this can be a lot of people smashing into each other in boats. I existed, Yeah, I'm really sure I had it last time. Might been new for this Olympics, so that's not over the weekend.
Speaker 1: I think keep your rye peeled well. I've spoiled the other person joining us for we thought it'd only be a trade deadline recap with our resident race fan. Here it is Rob Navera Rob, how are you?
Speaker 3: The trades have not made me feel great, but I have been also watching some Olympics. The sport I've most enjoyed, other than the shooting, is watching the swimmers walk out to their blocks, and half of them walk out, you know, the standard arms in the air, appreciate the crowd, and then half of them are too cool for school, as the Polish bloke a couple of days ago. Fantastic, So I said that should be the newest sport is the We should give medals out for the reactions to people walking out for the swimming. Have a look, go to watch them swimming and just watch some guys walking out. That's that's where the games are at.
Speaker 2: I will say. The other thing that's really entertaining is if you saw any of the fencing, how on like at least half of the both guys seem to think that they've won the touch, Like every single time they're both like wheel away celebrating, and then one of them turns back like horrified that the judges don't think they've got the point, but like not just like once or twice, Like I watched it for twenty minutes, and this maybe happened fifteen times. It was incredible.
Speaker 4: Algerian blocks that was that was that went viral, didn't it?
Speaker 3: The fencing? He yeah, everyone was shouting all the time. But what a wonderful venue that. I mean, Paris is look great at it. And there's been some great moments already, like genuine sporting moments to just watch some owe biles win and she, I mean, that girl is is different, you know, she is fantastic.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's been good.
Speaker 3: But should we talk about baseball rather than than everything that some ridiculous competition that doesn't should have.
Speaker 2: Done a baseball shouldn't be really that should have been today's man. Next time we.
Speaker 4: Pause and come back. Yeah, it's all right, that's fine, it's on for another couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: We got that, We got that.
Speaker 4: It's it's in the bank.
Speaker 1: The French guy who was swimming last night seems to be the sort of swimming version of the show. Here is Hawney, isn't he? And that he went and won gold in the breaststroke. And then half an hour to turn around and want and we know it's sorry, wrong way around, butterfly, and then turn around an hour later. I've won gold in the breastroke, which apparently has never ever been done in Olympic history before. So I'll nominate him as the two way legend of swimming and we'll probably leave the comparisons there. Although exciting to think, I mean, I've been absorbed by the Olympics, as it sounds like you guys have too. That baseball will be in it again soon. I think that is a segway we can kind of do to link the Olympics back to we talk about today, because I mean, it really is such an exciting couple of weeks, and to think, I mean, there are a lot of sports in it. I was in Nice at the weekend to watch some of the football, and I do love football and do love the Olympics. For those two things they don't really go together very well. So if we can have Olympic football, we can certainly have Olympic baseball, which will be an awful lot of fun. But let's talk a little bit of trade deadline. Then. We were talking before the podcast rather about how we do not feel like we've been able to cover the trade deadline particularly well, partly because there's been an awful lot happening. So we're gonna lean on Darius here to be our sage, the person who's coming with a knowledge and the wisdom of not only the trades that happened, but you know who did a good job at it. So maybe we'll kick it off with you, Darius. What has been the blockbuster trade of the deadline? What is the one trade we should kick this whole thing off with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think probably the thing about the trade deadline is there wasn't a blockbuster trade, But I suppose if if you want to pick one out, it kind of is tempting to say, and you know, I don't want to say this to Rob, but Randy rose A. Yeah, getting trade to the Mariners not quite a deadline trade in the sense that it happened at the deadline. But I think it's either that or Jazz going to the Yankees. Feel like they're sort of big. These are star names either, guys who could we could really see kids in the postseason. They feel like the headlines and we've all seen playoff Randy before, you know, wouldn't be a surprise if he turns it on in September or shows up for Seattle and when they're getting in a wild cud spot or something like that. I could believe that, but I do think that if you compare this as previous you know, Max Shears, a trade turner, these type of trades, we didn't have one of those issues.
Speaker 1: No, we didn't feel like we had that one huge passam bomb at you know, ten to deadline where a huge player gets moved, But there was an awful lot that happened. I guess's let's start with the a Rosa in trade. I know you don't want to talk about it, Rob, but we'll get the pain out of the way for you as a Raised fan, I guess what was your instant reaction? What do you feel now a few days later? Happy, sad? Understanding it? What logical heart? Where are you at at the moment?
Speaker 3: I think you just covered all of it. It's typical typical raising, if that's a word, which I don't think it is. So yeah, the immediate reaction is awful. I mean, the Rays don't get characters very often, we don't get superstars very often, and Randy whilst his performance may not have always been superstars, certainly he's had a down year until very very recently when it comes to stars and people that everyone of the sports know, Like he had the flair he had the postseason. He was a big guy and it was it was a really painful one to go. Uh and he was just just first of the dominoes there. So as they kind of started falling, it felt worse and worse and worse and worse. We obviously lost Zach Efflin to the Orioles. We also parades to the Cubs, Armstrong to the Cardinals, Rosario to the Dodgers, add them to the Padres, It on and on it went. You know, it was all the good guys, but I think the it started bad, but we thought it was gonna be an.
Speaker 4: Awful lot worse.
Speaker 3: There were rumors mid game at one point that the Pete Fairbanks was gonna be off to the Yankees, Yandy Diaz was going to the Dodgers, and sorry to the Astros, and then and then Brandon Lau was going to go to anywhere like these were these were absolute givens and so as it kind of the deadline clothes and those guys hadn't gone anywhere. It was like, oh, actually, you know what made maybe maybe it's it's not all that bad.
Speaker 4: And if you if you actually really.
Speaker 3: Look at the Rays here, they've sort of done it again in that no doubt this team is a worse team than just before the trade deadline.
Speaker 4: There is no doubt about that. It is a worse team.
Speaker 3: However, there are some things that have happened. So so Zach Efflyn was poor this year, He's not been great. He's been shifted on. Jeffrey Springs has just come up and replaced him. So okay, all right, we're potentially slightly better there. Christopher Morel has more home runs, more power than the East Up parades, has been showing and he's just.
Speaker 4: Started to pick it up.
Speaker 3: Randy Rose Arena has not been the Randy of last and that guaranteed yet. The last month or so he's been absolutely phenomenal, but the year as a whole, he's not been brilliant. So you start putting together, actually one of the Rays really.
Speaker 4: Really lost here. They are worse. Don't get me wrong, I'm saying they are worse. They've got blood. Dylan Carlson now playing the outfield, but they are worse.
Speaker 3: However, this team was hovering around five hundred as they were really really struggling man for man to match up to what they should be doing in a normal year. If these guys and there's signs that they are coming back to just returning to average, returning to where we all thought they can be at the beginning of season. If they've done that, we've taken out a couple of crap guys. Yeah, we're taking out a couple of good guys. I don't think this team is going to do an awful lot worse than it has done in the first what do I say the first.
Speaker 4: Half prior to the All Star break.
Speaker 3: I think you'll find that this team, as you know that usually exceeds and ends up being a ninety five ninety nine win team. Perhaps we've dropped to a ninety win team now, but I genuinely think they are going to do better in this half of the season than they have in the first half. And it was a disappointing start. But I've come full circle now and I think, you know, I think we're still in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were certainly one of the fascinating teams out the deadline, like you say that they are still in it, whether you think the team they've got now is better or worse, probably worse than it was going into last week. You know, they're above five hundred. It's a very competitive American league, but they've got a chance to do it. And this is sort of the raise em isn't it. I know they've been a very good team for a long time now and and sort of have gone very well to manage a lot of different trades, a lot of different players moving on. They obviously have always been a team that have had a small salary overall. So I think that this is kind of what they tend to do. And there's that kind of ongoing joke I suppose, isn't there among baseball fans where you know, love this trade for the rais you know, who do they get? Who do they give away? Where we just assume they operate in a way that is smarter than any other baseball teams. But I guess questions to be asked you. I personally liked Dylan Carlson pick up feels like such a raise move right, like a once top prospect who now has flamed out, reclamation guy who will turn into a superstar somehow in their hands. And it feels like a lot of the prospects they've picked up, whilst maybe not at the top of prospect lists, have got intrigue. There could be something someday for the Rais Christopher Morel again a guy who and the Cubs fans have derived at times for his performance both at the play and in the field, but can't deny has got tools and could be someone who could be kind of star if given the right instruction. Darius did. Did the Rays win all these trades? How did you feel about the hole they got back but for the sort of core they ended up giving away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Ray's turn former Cardinals outfielder into good player is like not going to be a story we haven't heard for us familiar.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the thing I always think about the Rays is, you know, it's not quite the Orioles, but you do, as somebody who thinks about, you know, who's going to play on each team in anordinate amount of time, you look at as like Jonathan Randa and Curtis Meade and Junior and Arrow and think, hey, these guys are supposed to be like really good prospects. Are able to hit, and like the Rays have too many pieces to fit them onto the team without cutting a bunch of other guys who are also valuetball players. So I don't I think that's right. I don't think they are going to be a great deal worse if they are worse at all, And you know, maybe some of these guys to show up and make the team better. You know, they they do start hitting, and do you know the Raids are going to match them up, right? So yeah, it's tough as a fan, I think, but you've got to trust the process with them. I guess more than anybody else that they are going to make the right moves here. And you know, they're not going to win one hundred percent of trades, but they win a hell of a lot more than they lose. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we turn around in two three years time and we're like, oh, hey, you remember that raised trade at the deadline. Now they've got like three really valuable, above average big leaguers out of it, and the guy they traded is, you know, out of the majors. That's entirely plausible to me.
Speaker 1: I guess on the flip side of it then looking at the Mariners, particularly as the guys who acquired a Rosorina that I feel like last time we talked they had about an eight game division lead. Since then it has been completely eradicated by the Houston Astros, who now sit top of the Al West, as seems to be tradition in that division of late they obviously seem a little bit desperate for some offensive help. They got a Rose Raina. They also Justin Turner, do we feel like the Mariners have got the pieces there to make a run at the playoffs at one point that like they would be competitive for that division. They still, on paper, are right up there with a chance to do it, although momentum would suggest they're going to fall away a little bit. These additions enough to make them a better team. Are they one that they're going to push for the playoffs or is this another example of the Mariners going quote all in only to end up all out of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I think it's the arena is a bit more of a proper move. It feels like Justin Turner feels like them doing the same thing again, like what piece can we get? What's marginal? What's not going to cost us very much, which is the same thing that they've been doing for the last couple of years, and we've sat here going, hey, why don't you make a bigger move and make your team better by a meaningful amount instead of like, oh, we're going to trade for these fringier pieces and we don't want to spend a bunch of money. You know, they've got the worst strike up rate in the majors by a couple of percentage points, is not particularly close. Their OBP is basically three hundred. I think you know that's they're like fifth worst in the majors. So yeah, it's definitely going to move the needle because both Turner and Arena are going to be better than that. Can they get to like league average line up with the pitching they've got and make a run? I think it's possible with the three world cars, I think they should get one of those wild guns. But it still feels a little bit like this was a team that you know, basically needed like a total offensive superstar or two or three to actually raise them into a team that you're worried about. You're still not scared of this lineup because they are added a rose Arena and Turner. You know, there's some real dross in this lineup, and they strike out a hell of a lot, which I think is going to get exploited in the playoffs as well. So I'm lot scared of the Mariners lineup, but I think teams have got to be a bit more concerned about them than they were before, which is saying something.
Speaker 1: It feels like a team that could be a bit scarier come October if they do sneak into the playoffs that recipe of elite rotation, good enough bullpen, and maybe some hitters that can get streaky. I mean, adding playoff Randy never hurts when you're talking about a team looking scary in October. But it does feel like that that's maybe their plan is just sneak in any way we can and then hope that someone gets hot in October, that we know the rotation is elite and we can sort of fumble our way through from there, which I mean is not the worst idea, right, It feels like something that could work for them, But it does feel like that, yeah, they needed to do something. I think the raise raining move is good, is positive. Let's talk about the other I guess blockbusterish trade from the deadline, or certainly one that got people's attention. Jazz Chisholm from the Marlins to the Yankees. I think we on this podcast have repeated many times how much we love Jazz for a lot of reasons, not least because he's sort of one of our own. What do we think of this move from the Yankees' perspective. Obviously a big name, someone who's got personality. He seems to have fit in reasonably well at the base, a new position for him so far in his time in New York. Robert was your instant reaction to this move?
Speaker 3: Instant reaction is it's fantastic, brilliant move for the Yankees, brilliant move for Jazz as well. He's he's got that, he's got the swagger's he seems to have a big enough personality to deal with the big town, you know, the big, big side of it all. And it was it wasn't it was really sort of I had the feeling he's been mismanaged in Miami a little bit. They've not done well recently. You know, they were supposed to be flying high by now, and it's not gone great. You know, and and the fringy guys they've gone have all failed, and it's pretty ugly in Miami right now. And I think Jazz getting out there was great. I think it's fantastic for him and for the Yankees, who themselves have really started to falter offensively recently. To have him, he's almost sort of like kind of like the third guy on the lineup already. You know, you've got you've got Soto, Judge and Jazz now and and he's fit right in there, like people are. People are saying the three he doesn't quite obviously deserve to be in that category of hitter yet, but he's fit straight in there.
Speaker 4: That's the way people are talking about.
Speaker 3: It's those three guys bang Bank Banks, Soto, Judge, chisholm uh And. I think he's strode straight into it, and I think it's fantastic for them. It's exactly what the what the the Yankees needed, exactly what he needed was change the scenery, all those cliches there. But but you know, he steps straight up and he's been he's been very good since he's since he's got there, so you really can't fault the trade. I think it's exactly what everybody needed. There are no losers here rather than potentially the Miami Marlins and specifically Pete.
Speaker 1: Pratt Mami Marlins losing out. That doesn't sound right. You know, you're right to say that the Jazz has been good so far, and I think he had four home months in his first three games, right, and Yankee fans have endeared themselves to him very quickly. I didn't closely follow the whole dynamic where it sounded like Labor Torres refused to move off second and she said he's happy to play it anywhere, and now he's playing third. And again, I've not been following Yankes games place, but it seems like he's been playing weez and b well there. I don't know if there's a whole other internal thing going on, but if he's able to add that to what was already quite an impressive array of defensive positions that he can play competently, then another bow for shrugging the bow sorry for Jazz, which is impressive, Darius. What's going on with the Marlins that they've sort of torn it all down again? Is this another new rock bottom for them? Is there any light out there for Pete and another Marlins fans.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is like, what year is it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Haven't we seen this story not just once before, but two, three, four times? It is obviously depressing. I think we could probably have seen this coming given their record, given the state of the farm system as well, which was not good. Bad combination with the Marlins having a bad big league team and a bad farm, So I think I think Peter Bendix has done pretty good job here getting what he could. For the most part, I'm not convinced that the trade specifically is the one that fans will be delighted with the return on. But they made a lot of moves and I think he got a lot back for, you know, some relievers who are probably likely to, yeah, be those guys who in a couple of years we're going to be like, why did anybody trade for those relievers that are deadline? You know? So yeah, you know, they shipped out Josh Bill just to save the money basically. But I like the Trevor Rodgers Hall a lot, you know, getting connin norby getting carst Ours, both guys who could potentially be above average big league is that's exactly what the Marlins have needed for a long time. So yeah, I think I think Bendix has done a good job. And I think some of these guys that either you know, have already been in the majors like in Norby and Stours, or close enough to it that we might not have to wait forever to see them having an impact on the team. The other question with the Marlins, as always, of course, are they going to bother to do anything in the off season instead of you know, signing the broken husk of Tim Anderson to play short stuff for them. Did this last year when you know, I'm not going to promise promise anything, Tom Marlins fans. I think Bendix is a Raise guy. I think he does what he's doing. And I think Marlins fans, if there is going to be a chink of lighters that I think they've probably got quite a few guys who can be part of a future core that hopefully they will do something to supplement.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Bendick being a Raised guy, the Marlins were playing the Rays on the night of the trade deadline, and I seem to not and it's something I've noted here for this point, the Marlins seemed to trade away three full bullpens worth of guys I genuinely didn't know who was actually going to turn up to throw the baseballs that night, because it just seemed to be an endless stream of relievers leaving Miami. There seem to be so bloody many of them, and like and men, I'd never heard of.
Speaker 4: Brian Hoeing? Who's he? Who knows? Do we ever know? Again? I don't know?
Speaker 3: But off he went, you know, and they just kept going then kept going, kept going. So I mean, where did the Marlins find all these guys from? And who is now in the Marlins ballpen? Some blok called kitchen?
Speaker 4: I hear.
Speaker 2: That did sound like a sort of you know, automatically generated named in Austin Dichin's got his first big League strikeout for the Marlins. Like that that's made of? That's regent.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully, yeah, we don't end up back here in the same situation in two time, asking why the Marlins tore it all down again? But it does feel like, as you say, Darius, that is the repeating storyline of Major League based wayver the last few years. But hey, you know, Lisha, not the Rockies who didn't even have any good pieces to trade away. Let's talk a little bit about the Oreoles. Then you mentioned that they acquired Trevor Rodgers for seemingly one of the larger halls that a team managed to get back over the course of the trade deadline. That wasn't the only move they made over over the course of the trade deadline. They also went out and picked up I think it was Dominguez and Pasche from the Phillies in exchange for Austin Hayes. They got Zakkathlyn as we already mentioned of the off the Rays, and I think eloi him andz made his way over to Baltsmore as well. So fairly active deadline for the Orioles. He obviously one of the best teams in the league, seemingly on a coleasion course with the Yankees to fly out for that division, but almost certainly going to make it to the playoffs. To any of these moves particularly moved the needle for you, Darius, as far as how luckily they are to win that division, how they are to take this you know, playoff run further than how far they made it last year.
Speaker 2: I think you know they needed to address the rotation. Since Bradish went down again, it's continued to be their weakness. Obviously the training for Burns earlier in the year, that was a big deal for them. They have their ace. So I think Eflyn was, you know, a kind of guy they needed somebody they could just say, you know, we can count on him to throw some innings here. You know they're going to be good, solid things. We've got a great lineup. We don't need him to be an ace. You still don't look at this rotation and think, wow, there's three guys that I'm terrified of in the front three. You know, maybe Rodriguez couldn't get up to that level. He's been up and down. You know, he's had a pretty good year, but he's still not a finished product or anything. But then behind him and Burns, you still have that question of, well, you know, are you that worried about the eros rotation. They may say we don't care, have you've seen our lineup, But I think that that remains the concern for them, and certainly the ballpen could be a bit of a ride. I think, you know, we've all seen the later years great Kivall experience. The mingas can be a bit wild at times as well. You know, he's been a good reliever but he's not been consistent. Same with Gregory Soto. So yeah, they improve the team. I think be interesting to see if they can get anything out of Eloy. Maybe just keep him on the field would be a good start. But again kind of yeah, we're we're tweaking around the margins. For the most part, I think I would have liked to see them, you know, it would have been great fun to see them get a scuball and then you really would have been scared about that rotation. But I don't know what it was taken to get the Tigers to give them up.
Speaker 4: Yeap, y boring, boring, boring.
Speaker 3: I mean take it back to go back to the Olympics, if we take taking an analogy from there, like you know, they they're they're sat there staring at you know, potentially the gold medal and rather than doing like a triple axels seven flip dive into the pool, they're they're pencil jumping. You know, they got the prospects, like blow them, throw someone away, get someone big in. You know, they they just about managed to sign a proper free agent in Burns, you know, pre season, but like come on, come on, like you're in the division. You got the Yankees on the ropes. Where is the knockout blow?
Speaker 4: They pick up? Jazz Chisholm, what have you done?
Speaker 3: Absolutely soddle like, Okay, maybe Greg Risotto's and gay pick up, but realistically that lot, I mean, where is the game changer? As you said, but where is the game changer in that lot? There isn't one. I think they've been boring, and I think the boring Orioles are starting to get themselves a little bit of a name for this and they're starting to deserve it. So yeah, I wanted way more from the Orioles.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I agree, but I will say that being able to call them the Boreals is quite tempting. So I'm going to lean into your your narrative here, Robin, and run with it. You mentioned Trek Scuball there, Darius, that he was obviously a name coming into the deadline that was maybe the biggest we thought might get moved, given ability, given team control left. It sounds like in the end the Tigers decided that he basically wasn't for sale or they was going to take something extraordinary to move him. But we did see some pretty big holes of starting pictures and we mentioned Trevor Rodgers. I think Yusa Kakuci returned a pretty good haul for the Blue Jays. It sounded like when he was traded to the Astros. Whether Tiger's right to stand pat with Scooball and say that he him and you know, when you have a picture that good, do you do you let him walk for any price? Or did they miss a trick not not cashing him or would have been probably a fairly large all of top level prospects if they've moved him to the competitor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it sents a really bad message to your fans. I have my doubts about whether the Tigers have actually got enough here to compete, you know, with talks and doesn't look like he's going to pan out. You do look at that lineup, you know, Buyers has been a total bust, and have they got can they build around you know, Riley Green? Is there enough there for them to really meaningfully put together a team? Are they going to go out and spend the money. But at the same time, if you are saying that you are trying to compete, you can't go away and trade it. Arguably the best picture in the league, certainly on the top five who's done the control for the next couple of years, and then still earnestly say to your fans, yeah, we're we're here, we're trying to compete. You know, that's a that's a Marlins move, isn't it. So I get well, they didn't do it, and as much as they could have got a big, big horn for him, I'm sure I think it would have been a really difficult pill for their fans to swallow. So, you know, I'm glad for the Tigers fans that they didn't do it, and we'll see whether they can do anything this off season. I mean, you know they're not they're not out of it officially, but it's tough. You know, it's actually tough to think you put in the al central for once and they look much worse than the three teams above them to me. So I think it's going to be a case of, yeah, what can they do this offseason to build around those few core pieces that they seem to have finally landed?
Speaker 1: A central is good? Who would have thought? But no, I'm inclined to agree. The issue I have with trades like this is always you end up trading away Tarik Scuoball in the hope that you get back a player who might date turn someday turn into Tarrek's Scooball Right, like you've already got the guy, why I've traded him away for the hope you might get a guy similar in three or four years time. And again this is just me, but I tend to think teams fans massively overvalue prospects. However, can't miss they might and you know that allure of a guy who might be under team control for seven years, who will be amazing and you turn your franchise around. But I mean, these guys are They're so hard to find, so hard to predict that when you have a guy as good as Scoopable, when he's as popular as he is, when he's you know, under team control. Yeah, it would have been crazy to me, regardless of the hole they got back, to give someone like that away. So I agree with the Tigers not making a move as far as he's concerned, even though they did make a couple of others running fingers, and I mean one of the moves they did make. Let's talk a little bit about the Dodgers. I guess that. It always seems like they for the most part, stay quiet around the trade deadline, but end up somehow getting good players without really ever giving much up. I don't know if you would call Jack Flatty a good player these days, or necessarily Tommy Edmond for that reason, but it does feel like there's the two guys who have got upsides that the Dodgers went out and got without making a whole lot of noise, Rob, do you feel like they did a good job this deadline? The Dodgers and quietly managing to eight and some sells, some to a freeway trade they had no business being involved in as far as I can tell to to pick up Edmond and then sneaking at the deadline to grab Lassie for a bit of rotation depth as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've they've done okay, I mean they picked up a bunch of off old guys, because they've also picked up Ahmed Rosario and Kevin Kiirmeyer, who were.
Speaker 4: A little you know, they sort of fit for the needs.
Speaker 3: I get that, but they don't seem overly dodgersy sort of sort of trades.
Speaker 4: Did they get Michael Kopek as well? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, that that.
Speaker 3: For me, I think is probably the key trade here. Kopex seems exactly like the guy that the Dodgers are in a turnaround in a couple of years, he is going to be an absolute world beater, because I do remember him as he was coming up a couple of years ago. He had all the signs, he looked like he was about to be and then he got white socked. So honestly think that that that might be the trade that we look back on in a couple of years and say, Wow, look what the digit did with this guy. I've got feelings about him. The rest of them, they're twiddling around the edges. But you know, conversely to the Orioles, who I think that's a problem for the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: I mean, it isn't a problem. They need some pitching.
Speaker 3: God, God knows they need some pitching, and you know, they got a couple there if they can do a little bit with Fantastic, but they're already going to the postseason. These guys are just bits around the edges, and they've got a couple of guys who can run, a couple of guys who can spell them defensively. You know, if they make the postseason roster or not, who knows, But yeah, they did fine.
Speaker 4: It was what they needed. They picked up a little bit of insurance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like they're going to be canterying to a division title once again. Here, Darius, what's new with the Dodgers. But does this make a difference to you as far as the outlook for them come the playoffs? It again, it feels like Kope's a great addition, as you say, Rob, like, that's exactly the kind of player who inter your's time. Will just be the new Joe Kelly or whoever it might be that they turn into a real weapon in the bullpen. But yeah, this this doesn't feel that they went out and made a splashy move more just sort of small additions here or that that might help them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, flat is you know, having a great season. He's really kind of recaptured a lot of what people thought he might be before all the injuries, before the struggles. You know, he has been one of the better pictures in the league this season. We'll see whether there's any trace to the reports that the Yankees turned down a deal because of medical issues. He did have a bit of a back issue, a few weeks ago. That didn't seem to linger very long. But we'll see if there's a problem. But yeah, they desperately need the picching. They've had so many injury issues. They've basically been relying on a bunch of rookies and Tyler Glass now, who has never been the picture of health, but then normal's flatter. You know, he hasn't thrown. You know that he started since twenty nineteen, so there's every child staying. He was joining them on the aisle at some point. So yeah, I think I think they desperately needed that. And Edmond is the kind of that you know, It's very Dodgers, isn't it. It's another Chris Taylor type. If anything happens to I line up here or here or here or here, we can go and stick him in that position. Obviously he has been hurt too, so I suppose it could go wrong, but I understand he's best to be back soon. So you know, we could be looking at this Dodgers line up with a fully functional monkey, Bets and Otani and Freeman and all these guys that they've added around them, and you know, if playing Kershew can get anything back to close to it's best for the playoffs, then yeah, obviously you're you're really worried about them.
Speaker 4: They do seem to have a lot of roster spots, though, do they do?
Speaker 3: They have more than everyone else because they've added a lot of guys here. I don't really see much leaving, so I just, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's just that they've got so many guys on the injured this it's like just creating extra roster spots or the guys in the sixty day il they've actually got like a fifty man roster at the moment.
Speaker 4: Are they in trouble for for fiddling with the I L? As well?
Speaker 2: Like in terms of phantom ile since yeah, it was the main I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't see why you would phantomly put, oh it was the Mets. You're right, sorry, Yes it was Mets. Of course it was Mets. Yeah, why would you phantom I L Mookie Betts. That makes absolutely no sense.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Somebody in the Mets front office was obviously disgruntled and I think actually provided in controversial evidence to that they had bunched and ils and so that was why they got in trouble. But yeah, I don't I don't think the Dodges are under an actual investigation to that, as far as I'm aware, they.
Speaker 4: Invented it, though I did.
Speaker 1: Yeh right, Well, there are a lot of a lot of other trades that that took place. I don't think we have times cover all of them, but I guess now it might be a nice time beach us to maybe pick out a trade or a team that we particularly liked what they did at the deadline, or a trade that we thought was particularly interesting. I saw a few different versions of players returning to former teams, which I always find fun, but I will be interested to hear Russ's take. I quite like the deadline that the Guardians had, if only for acquiring Lane Thomas, who I think is a really good player who has sort of quietly shone with the Nationals for a couple of seasons now, and he feels like again a guy who will be quite useful for the Guardians to get on board. Obviously, hits lefties really well, is fast, plays a good outfield, has got upsides on the team control I think for another year after this, so this feels like a nice addition for them. I like that move, and they also picked up Alex Cobb. First question, who had any idea Alex Cobb was still in the major leagues. But for as long as he is, I'm always gonna like a team to pick him up. I've just got a soft spot for the player that he is and how I pitches, and it again, it feels like a low risk move that if he can turn out to be healthy, turn out to throw some innings for them, then it's quite a nice sort of player to bring on board and help post them towards the playoffs. So again, a team that didn't really make any huge, glamorous moves, but it feels like help their their core when it comes to closing out that division lead that they've got and maybe making a run when it comes to playoffs. Was there a team or a move rob that caught your eye over the course of the deadline.
Speaker 4: I quite like what the Cardinals did, If I'm honest, I think they did that.
Speaker 3: They they didn't really give much up and they made themselves pretty pretty much better than than they were beforehand.
Speaker 4: They reunited with Tommy Fam. Of course, there's a little bit of bad blood.
Speaker 3: There from first something who hasn't Tommy Fam had bad blood with but he didn't leave the Cardinals in a particularly happy way. But he's gone back there and he's still a very serviceable outfield. I think his his temperament may have have got the better of his career a little bit. I think he currently plays a lot better than someone who was, you know, picked up as a free for the White Sox not too long ago.
Speaker 4: I think he's better than that.
Speaker 3: So I quite like that speaking of the White Sox head and it's sort of this this flips like the what the hell of the White Sox doing? Yeah, picking up Eric Ferdy for in the three team deal, which really seemed to to do much for the White Sox. That was a good pick up for them, and and Charotte short Armstrong, which was, you know, a decent piece for the bullpen, which which is something they needed. So I quite like the Cardinals because they didn't really give anything up and they have.
Speaker 1: Got better, Darius, any team move you liked.
Speaker 2: I think we just got to give credits to the Blue Jays because what they got out of the asterrois for KOUCHI was they like robbery. I think I mean maybe the Fido and bloss and I can't remember the third guy now Wagoner. Yeah, maybe that will turn out to be nothing, but you know it was, you know, two months of usay Ki for three pretty well regarded young players. Obviously been a disappointed season for the Blue Jays, but I thought that was pretty pretty clearly the what what they're doing in Houston deal of the deadline, Like we don't get many of those trades anymore where you're just like one side, like what on earth is happening? You know, the glass now trade, glass trade where everyone's like Pittsburgh, you are off on one, and they were right. But yeah, I think Oblige did a great job there, and honestly, I kind of liked, you know, the Pirates didn't do anything exciting because it's the Pirates, but I think they added some interesting pieces. I know John was pretty high on Nick York when the Red Sox traded him away and thinks he's made aners this year. They obviously need some help at the second base there. Having kind of Fleffer is just a good utility piece to have around. So yeah, it was, you know, not super exciting, but I think they you know, upgraded Brandon a Cruz as well. A lineup that is not very exciting so that the bar was low for improving, but I think they didn't enough. And they're obviously still well in it in the n L Central right now, so anything can happen.
Speaker 1: Like Cocuchie trade did feel weird, Like you said, it felt like we'd gotten past the point where Rental's got that kind of a hallback. And I would usually consider the Astros one of Baseball's smarter teams, and he's not even been very good this season. And I know Cokuchie's solid, he's a regular, he's a left he maybe that adds a bit to his value, but as someone he doesn't necessarily know that the value of the prospect that the body has got baptically well. I was still somewhat shocked to see quite the hall that that Toronto was able to get back for him. So that was that was a puzzling move. I guess we probably should mention the Red Sox in some way or John will get upset with us. But they made a ton of sort of small moves that York trade I thought was interesting, kind of almost a challenge trade, I suppose, in terms of swapping former first round is right and giving them both a change of scenery and a new place to the player. I quite like that for both teams. James Paxson made his way back to the Red Sox, which is a nice story if nothing else. And then I think there are a few other sort of additions around around the edges that they made, Lucas Simms and some extra relievers, but any thing that moves the needle few significantly from the Red Sox rob As a team in the same division as them, or are they still who we thought they were?
Speaker 3: Fiddling around the edges, I don't think makes much of a difference whatsoever. I think it's all for the for the documentary. They needed a bit of bit of guys in Guy Now, So there you go. For the cameras, that's what that was for. But a makes a little difference. They are as the Rays are a middling team who may struggle into a playoff or majors disappeared down down the run. But nothing major happened with those trades.
Speaker 1: Even considered the Netflix element. You're so right, they've obviously been told that we need something interesting to put in. It's the middle of the season, nothing's happening. Can you make a few trades that we can you know, do the behind the scenes of in sticking a documentary and pretend that you know, this is some huge deal when this this, this, this show comes out. That seems to explain it all the way, doesn't it, Darius.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't wait to see the segment on the Reese Maguire over this. Oh my god, my goodness. I don't know that we can talk about it on this productually. We'd have to sell out the explicit tag on it. Need to bleep out Google Google, Reece Maguire Rockies and have a good time because it was very interesting story. And then he probably got DFA once they traded for Den Janson, So from isn't it.
Speaker 1: But that was probably the best night the Rockies have had in the last five years of the franchise existing. I think they scored twenty runs and dished out one of the best insults, slash sledging, whatever you want to call it of the season. So I'm counting that as the biggest winner of the year for the Rockies that will not be bested. So yeah, do such that one out if you if you haven't seen it already. Well, I think that's just the biggest edition.
Speaker 2: It's going to be getting drist and casts back from the IL obviously.
Speaker 1: So oh of course, yeah, most interesting man in baseball. Bord of the stick just hit already. That won't really popular with John anyway. I think we've probably covered most of the big ones. Anything that I'm missing, Rob, you mentioned we need to mention GB bloke to Brewers. I don't even know what you're referring to you there, but is there something that we should mention as far as GB Bloke's concerned.
Speaker 3: Heb bloke Jack Steppings, he's a hope saying that right, Jack Steppings, he's a pitcher of her team GB. He's been on that roster there and he's just signed an undrafted free agent deal with the Brewers, which it is great to see another GB guy h in a in a big league system. So yeah, fingers crossed the shoots through that that organization and we see him in the big leagues one day. But it's a it's always good seeing another guy moving through there. So yes, absolutely, Jack Seppings to the Brewers.
Speaker 1: Very good work keeping her eye out on the on the wave of a wife for that one. That one parking by completely. Yeah, good luck to Jack at Milwaukee well, if there's nothing else to add trade wise, then then we'll leave it there. I think we're planning to be back again with more of a sort of baseball ley chat next week. We've obviously slacked a little bit on our pods lately, and we didn't do our usual trade deadline live stream live reaction piece this year, which we apologize for. There obviously wasn't a ton that ended up happening from a rob doesn't and we know Darius goes to bed at half past eight anyway, so he would have been useless as it stands.
Speaker 2: But I think it has been earlier because I've definitely usually is the reaction. But yeah, this year it was like we're staying on TI eleven thirty was hard fast, hard fast.
Speaker 1: I'm out the Olympics have done by then. But yes, we will be back with more normal baseball chat hopefully next week. We apologize to not covering the deadline live, but maybe we'll be back next year. I know Ross was keen to do it. Happy birthday to us, by the way, the reason he's not joining us tonight is because he's celebrating being I don't know, twenty five of something fifty somewhere in the middle. So yeah, do join us again next week when we come back. There is, of course, as usual, some really great content going up onto the website. Gavin team are busy making sure that that's updated with coverage of everything that happened at the trade deadline. Pieces form from fans on reactions to how their team went and what it felt like. We've got a nice piece on there about a Mets fans experience in London. We've got plenty that'll still be going on as the weeks and days come if we brought up towards the end of the season, so do you make sure to keep up with that, follow us on the socials, and yes, we will be back again in due course to talk more baseball. Goodbye,