Speaker 1: Cho then the Fantasy sat in Louisial History, the gold Then tell me youie.
Speaker 2: To me, It's a little Warriors, It's the ultimate Challenge.
Speaker 1: It's Rustling six right here on the Golden Era Podcast with Sean Mooney.
Speaker 2: How you doing today?
Speaker 3: I am doing great.
Speaker 4: Nice to see you, Steve, and we're gonna be talking about a Wressellmania today. That remains one of my favorites for a number of reasons though, as usual, because there's so many backstage.
Speaker 3: Stories, and we really do have a lot of them.
Speaker 4: So thank you, thank you for having me dig back into that deep chest that I have in my memory.
Speaker 3: So it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: Well, anytime anyone sees these episodes pop up, they always go, god, damn it it Mooney looks amazing.
Speaker 2: And so nineteen ninety, Mooney, you had a little bit of a mullet if you.
Speaker 1: If you go back and watch the uh the interviews Dusty and Demolition, you got a little mullet there.
Speaker 2: What's what's going on?
Speaker 4: It was just a little mullet. Well, it was kind of the thing to do back then. But I did have it going on, you know, uh, partying back business up front and I was. I was getting it done on both ends back then.
Speaker 2: So, well, you looked great.
Speaker 1: You looked great when I when you popped up when I was watching it, and I'm like, wow, he looks amazing, almost like a picture. I was like, no, we're gonna wait for this. We're gonna talk about it, uh the next day. And it's funny, because wrestling is six everyone brings it up as in, whose camp were you in? Were you a wholek maniac? Were you a little warrior? Am I been questioned for you? Before we really get into all this was ultimate Warrior ready for the pressure to be the face of the w w F after wrestling a six.
Speaker 4: Well, I really wanted to get in into that today because as we have discussed many times about the Warrior and people have, you know, it just rages on this debate of who was he?
Speaker 3: What was he all about?
Speaker 4: And and and I found an old interview with him that was done years later after he had left the WWF, and I just found it fascinating. It's one of the best I've ever seen of him, because I kind of had a revelation about him after all of these years, and and I think, really what it comes down to. I don't think people could really handle back then somebody that was just completely honest for whatever his way of thinking, good or bad.
Speaker 3: But that guy just told.
Speaker 4: It the way it was in his in his mind and and the life that he was living. And you know, of course, everybody when they get a chance to sit these guys down, they want to say, you know, what were you thinking through the match? What was you know, was the pressure on? Did you notice the crowd and everything? And he basically says, you know, please, I'm so tired of these questions in a sense that people think that you come back to a memory and do this to anybody about a big event in their life. And of course everybody says, you know, oh yeah, it's all fresh. I remember, No, you don't. And I think back too of all the events that I was involved in, and you know, when you're doing it, you're just doing it. You're not taking it in and maybe later you can kind of reflect on it. But I think at the time, Jim Helwig was just one of those people, and I think you're seeing more of it today, you know, like this whole thing about being genuine, he was genuine. There's you know, whatever good or bad. Wather you loved him or hated him or whatever. Jim just said it. And I don't think people were ready for that. So you say, was you know, was he ready for this challenge?
Speaker 3: Was he?
Speaker 4: I think that Jim always looked at it that, yeah, absolutely, you feel the pressure. But I think he felt that every time he ran out down that runway to the ring, and so sure this was on a different stage. And he talks about the match, and I figured we get into this a little bit later since, but now we're talking about it that he says, sure, I remember the moment. I know it was this big thing, but to me, it was just me doing my job. And he said in particular, though, he goes, I do remember that it was magic that day, that everything with Hulk worked, everything that I did worked, and it was just you know, a special time. But as far as people thinking that, you know, he's going to dig deep into those wonderful memories and say, oh, I just remember being on the canvas and looking out over into the arena and people and me capturing and seeing their faces. You're not going to get that from somebody like him.
Speaker 3: So was he ready?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Because he was in for the ride. And bottom line, to him, he was doing a job he had. He wanted to be successful, he wanted to, you know, make money. Was one of the biggest reasons he was doing what he was doing. And he was along the same lines certainly way different personalities, but like Sid, Sid looked at it in the same way that it wasn't They weren't passionate about the business. It wasn't their life. They didn't live it. They didn't just.
Speaker 3: Love every bit of it.
Speaker 4: As we know, there are many that did, but those two weren't one of them, and Jim Helwig was certainly not one of them. He saying he didn't like what he was doing. I'm just saying he wasn't that guy. He wasn't in it because of the you know, oh I just this is I love this. That wasn't him.
Speaker 2: That's I'm glad you said that.
Speaker 1: Because over the years we have done podcasts so far probably like thirty something of them where people are always critical of our comment un Ultimate Warrior, But here it seems like we've changed our tone a little bit with Warrior because there is a lot of pressure on someone who's going to work every day, and again it's a job you know, I like podcasting, I like interviewing wrestlers, But guess what, when I'm up at three in the morning editing, sometimes you're like, well, this is not fun, this isn't turning into fun.
Speaker 2: But I'm also creating. I'm also having a good time.
Speaker 1: Ultimate Warrior is there for a paycheck, but he's also there to create memories that will gain him more money, will gain him more notoriety and more celebrity status. So him here Wrestmania six, the pressure is on, especially because the whole tagline is it's called the Ultimate Challenge, Ken Holt Hogan defeat Ultimate Warrior.
Speaker 2: That's what the people are buying.
Speaker 1: And people were buying it because Russmania six two good guys funding each other in the main event. This is unheard of. This is everyone thinks now, it's such a normal thing to happen. This is uncharted territories. What were the thoughts going into this as someone who worked in the company, where you're thinking, is this a good idea? Like fans are going to be swaye They're not going to be booing or cheering. They're going to be cheering both men. It's going to be hard to decipher who do you want to win?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think it's interesting what you said at the top of this of saying, you know, were you a Hulka maniac or were you a warrior? Were you a little warrior? And you know, in all of wrestling, you've got to have, you know, some split however it is to create this friction in the ring, and this was a classic example of it. Now you say, you know, was I think, like, oh man, two babyfaces, how are you gonna get? But no, I didn't because you I've seen and talked to people where you didn't have people that were fans of both. You know, you really did have You did like one or the other. So that wasn't tough to you know, figure out that you're gonna have sides in this and that's pretty much what you need to create that confrontation. So that wasn't a question all. But was it, as you said today, you kind have used to seeing this stuff back then. No, it was always those lines. It was, you know, a good guy bad guy. And even though we started to blur the line about what exactly was a bad guy and how could he be over that, you know wasn't the case here. And so to have this though in this showdown, and I think that's what people wanted to see that because there were people that were not big fans of Hulk Hogan uh and were you know, ultimate Warrior all the way, and then you had your Hulco maniacs, and they wanted to see it settled once and for all. And so as far as me thinking was this a good idea, yeah, I thought absolutely it was a great idea.
Speaker 2: I also agree with you because think of the past.
Speaker 4: And they had things to settle here too, Steve, what was going on with Hulk at the time, and the belt and all this stuff and the titles and so it was. It was a I thought was a great storyline and a way to settle.
Speaker 1: It one percent because a year before that you had the megapot was explode. Before that, you had WrestleMania have an entire tournament to krind of a new champion before that, and Andre getting bodieslim before that, free locations for Estumanti before that, the first WrestleMania. Like we are building if we're talking about seasons or like episodes wrestlemana episodes, we are going up and up and up and up and up. Because each year you're trying to achieve something better than you did the year before, and the also been challenge.
Speaker 2: I feel like delivered one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: April first, nineteen ninety, SkyDome, first WrestleMania outside of the US. Now, I know wrestling is always going to be popular in Canada, But did vincient man think.
Speaker 2: Like, is this a gamble? Is this not a gamble?
Speaker 1: Like what do you think he was trying to put through his brain leaving America for Canada?
Speaker 4: Well, I think that sure. Was it a gamble, absolutely, especially when you're going to go to another country and then try and get a massive crowd there, which, uh, you know, sixty five thousand plus was a huge challenge, challenge. But at the same time, you know, think about where we were. You know, business wasn't bad, and this is nineteen ninety we're talking, but they were starting to think okay, and they were used to things. How you know, it kind of went cyclical, it was up and down, and they knew that, you know, we've.
Speaker 3: Got to start expanding.
Speaker 4: Canada was a great place to do it because, of course, you know, Canada was huge for professional wrestling across all of that country. From one end to the other and you had a lot of territories. So yeah, was it a bit of a gamble, yes, but it was a great place to start as far as being international, and it was it was a you know, it was a great event. And they did pack that house. Whether or not, I don't know how many they ended up giving away, but still you get that many people. It shows that the ww E at the time was was very, very popular. So was it a gamble, absolutely, but that's what they reveled and Vince knew that that's what he had to do. He had to leap every time with these events, and they just kept paying off.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and the arena is so packed that they elevate the ring just like they did wrestum A three. And then they bring back those motorized wrestling carts to bring you from the front to the back. And I always love those, like I don't know why those are something that they should have sold us toys for so long and they just didn't like the has bros. Yeah uh, but Warrior and Hogan they decide we're not going to get on those carts. We're gonna walk war because Warrior his bit is he runs.
Speaker 2: Really fast in the ring. What the hell is he gonna do? You sit there and do this while he was sitting on a motorized car.
Speaker 1: Those are a nice little addition to this wrestlming he is, and it's it's a big, big entrance. But Grill mon Soon and Jesse body Ventura are on commentary and this is their sixth WrestleMania together. And we've talked about how Bobby and Grilla have quite a rapport Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler. But I don't think Jesse and Gorilla get all this credit because Jesse's background as a professional wrestler. I know Gorilla was too, and so is Bobby, but people really knew Jesse as a wrestler versus Bobby and Gorilla as being wrestlers. Depending on your age, I guess what did you think of the Jesse Gorilla combo?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, at that point, Jesse's history in the ring had really nothing to do with him getting over as a credible analyst at the time, and that was that, you know, I don't even remember, you know, only ever becoming part of the conversation. And truth be told, he wasn't great in the ring. His gift was his mouth and what and all the way along. I mean, he cut great promos. He knew how to sell, so that was his big selling point. And as we've discussed before, now, nothing against Jesse. I always said that Jesse I thought was great with Vince. I did. I didn't love the combination of the two of them, but you know they were they did well together. I mean it was a very you know, back and forth, but nothing like you'd see with Bobby and Gorilla. That that the magic that was. But we've gotten used to that team. As far as for the big events was you know, Gorilla and Jesse and uh, you know, uh, Jesse was on top of his game as always. And I always love to hear about people asking about Jesse's prep for events. Now, if you watch the openings to these or they do the little breaks on camera, he would actually you could tell that he worked those, you know that he would. I think he'd said, you know, I've been to all this, I've been to this, I've done this, I've been to fights, but you know, wrestle meanie is the greatest event ever or whatever however he started that and you could tell that was something, you know, that was the actor in him. But as far as when he sat down to that, to the to the announced booth there, to the to the desk to do the event, that was it, you know. I mean he didn't take notes, he was you know, neither did Bobby. But that was all just you know, go and and Gorilla could do that as well. That's what made him a great play by play guy is that he knew how to get that stuff going with other people sitting next to him, which is a gift a lot of people don't realize. You know, that's not an easy thing to do, and especially when you're bouncing in between different personalities.
Speaker 3: But Gorilla was very good at that.
Speaker 4: But you know, Jesse was you know, great just at moments you know, like he didn't have as if people know about how a person who was a color analyst prepares for a football game, you know, or baseball game, they you know, reams of notes.
Speaker 3: And then you've got.
Speaker 4: Somebody who was what they call like a spotter or you know, and they they were in your ear and they're giving you little fun facts here and there, or they notice things like that. You get a great guy that he's your your dude. That wasn't the case. It was just Okay, what's happening up there? And I'm really good at doing this and that Jesse.
Speaker 1: I love how you brought up Jesse the beginning of the Somnia six because he does say that, he's like, I've been to the super Bowl, I've been to the World Series, I've been to the Rolling Stones, but nothing like this at Wrestlingia six. But even before that, you had Vince McMahon doing a voiceover over the of war a Warrior and Cogan and are in the stars in the galaxy far beyond Meetings and he's just going through it and you see like a crab and you see a Zeus and then you see warriors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the calstellation of the sky.
Speaker 1: I always enjoyed vinsic man voiceover, and this is one of those, uh particular ones. He doesn't scream until the end because he's like, yeah, he's he's pretty would just keep going, Oh, you gotta go when you lose your voice though. The first matchup of this event is Coco be Where versus Rick the model Martell. For the first person everyone sees at the gate is cocob Where flapping his arms like a bird.
Speaker 4: And Frankie was there too, yes, of course.
Speaker 1: Well because Jack Tounny didn't enforce you know, and get rid of animals by ringside. Yet that won't happened until nineteen ninety one. God damn you, President, Jack Tunney. I always will praise you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No. And Coco sings on that and his theme song. People know that. I mean Coco had a good voice. He did a lot of gospel. He was, you know, very talented guy. And I've told you about Coco. Coco was one of my favorites just uh, you know, just a great guy. And and I love this, you know when you tell the stories when he first they hooked him up with Frankie.
Speaker 3: That bird was just nasty as it could be.
Speaker 4: And you know they're talking about some of the first events went out there and the they got him the and he's supposed to sit on this perch and he does and he falls off and you go over to him and he's like biting you.
Speaker 3: Ah man.
Speaker 4: But I love Coco and one of the toughest.
Speaker 3: People I ever met in my life. Uh. And and I thought a great a great performer too.
Speaker 4: And he was only or is only about like about five seven maybe, so he that guy, boy, he could do a lot in that ring. And you know, this matchup I thought was pretty good too, even though he ends up kind of getting squashed in this. But I love Coco. Coco is still to this day one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Same.
Speaker 1: I think it's funny that people think, oh, he has got a bird. It's pretty cool. But you're not thinking like, oh shit, this guy's not a bird trainer. He's a professional wrestler.
Speaker 2: So here you go. He's a giant parrot. Enjoy yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not like he put the thing in the truck. You know, you gotta take this thing and take care of it.
Speaker 2: And do you bring that thing to the hotels with him?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, a lot of times when he was traveling. Yeah, sometimes they did have him with him and he'd have to have that thing in the hotel room.
Speaker 3: And it's rock you know.
Speaker 2: Like all night long. Imagine sleeping with Coca. Why don't she round with me? No, no, I don't.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure initially it was like yeah, sure, I you know, he wants to be it's putting him over and then but then after a while you're like, oh my godness, bird.
Speaker 2: So well, yeah, Frankie, you had Matilda.
Speaker 4: She didn't have a python, right, Steve. I mean, geez, you imagine somebody having to do that.
Speaker 2: I would rather. I would rather have the bird.
Speaker 4: Than have the snake in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: In the bag. That's just me.
Speaker 1: I don't I think the snake can you twist around you and kill you?
Speaker 2: Frankie? The birds most likely going to be stealing your food from you. Maybe he'll kill you.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't you be sleeping like this?
Speaker 2: You know I would close it. I would put the animals in the bathroom and close the door.
Speaker 3: He did. But you never know, you know.
Speaker 1: Because you hear all these stories about Jake. How there's not you know, we didn't have just one Damien. We had multiple Damiens over poor reasons of taking care of a snake. I wonder, and I hope not, but there probably was more than one, Frankie, because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say, I think there was on the road get into But you know those birds, you know, they're very sensitive and uh you know, they get they get sick. So yeah, and when you're taking them all over the place and and then and putting them on planes and that kind of thing, it's ain't good.
Speaker 1: God, Eh, poor Coco, but he did lose he to Rick and the Model. Mark tell Everyone kind of thought that the Model was gonna fight Tito Santana because the Strike Force broke up right back but a year now, so everyone's thinking, Okay, we're gonna get Strike Force finally having a one on one match. They don't. Tito's in a different match in the evening, maybe a house show. But what's the reasoning you think of not connecting the dots of this seems pretty obvious to have Rick beat Tito or Tito beat Rick.
Speaker 2: Is it just to keep both of them strong?
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody would have had to go down, and uh yeah, And I think they're trying to push both of them, you know, because the Model a gimmick wasn't that old, and you know they're trying to put him over, and then Tito was starting to get you know, a bit of a push as well. And as always, I love when they give these other guys a little shot to you know, be in that event, and Coco getting on that stage was awesome as well.
Speaker 3: A nice little payday for him too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these early WrestleManias, you can see every single wrestler you ever loved is all together on the card, and I think that's what makes it great about this event. But up next to the tag team titles, you're backstage though, you're interviewing Demolition, and this is one of those fun moments where Demolition keeps talking in puns about they're gonna smash them, but they're gonna hack them, they gonna destroy them. You know, what was your experience like with Demolition backstage? What are they like as people?
Speaker 3: Oh? Awesome.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny because a lot of these heel tag teams, you know, they're supposed to be big, mean, nasty, horrible people, and they were some of the funniest.
Speaker 3: Guys you ever meet.
Speaker 4: You know that Led was like that too. You know, Hawk and Animal were just as funny. But you know, Barry and Bill were great as well, and they just kept getting better and better, you know, as a as a tag team, and you start getting that rhythm. And I watched that interview and I try and think back, and it's it's very sketchy to think, you know, try and pull out those details, but I do remember just how smooth it was with them. They would tell me, you know, what kind of what they were going to do, and I just had to make sure I got the mic in the right place.
Speaker 3: But I just remember how easy they made it.
Speaker 4: And I thought, you know, Bill initially had the edge as far as cutting promos, but I thought, you know, Barry became really good as well. And and this that interview that they did for that event was I thought was really good. Like you said, it was loaded with puns, but you know, it all worked it, you know. And I even remember afterwards that Bill saying, you know it was there, did we have enough in there? Enough puns?
Speaker 3: And there they walk it up. I said, I think you got them all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we checked them all off because you would say it it sounds like a Debligen Derby and you're like, now you got the and then looking at you like now you get it, Like yeah, got it after.
Speaker 2: A minute of puns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, yeah, check got that one too.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah.
Speaker 4: And that was some really funny There was a lot of funny stuff in those interviews.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: The one with with with Jean and Bobby and what did he call them the colostomy and it was supposed to be the I can't yeah, the colossal connection, and and Bobby's like, what did what did you saying?
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: And in the end before they go into that and they said the interview and then Jean's like does the pensive.
Speaker 2: Yes, did I see you know?
Speaker 4: And and folks there were there was just there was a lot of inside stuff.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And Jeane was was classic and and got away with so much. But uh, you know, Vince knew what he did and they let him do it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I'm telling you, I just I love going back and watching these because to me, that's especially just from where I came from with them, to watch those and it's just to me, it's like watching a great match for me when I see some of the stuff that Jean did with people, and his timing and what he would say and what he didn't say was worth a thousand words a lot of time. And especially you know in on the stage there with with Bobby as well. I mean they were just classic together. Soy, I love going back and watching this stuff and we and there there was so much We'll get into it. But there was a lot of celebrity presence at these at this event, which is kind of unusual. I was thinking, like, why Toronto. It wasn't like we're in Los Angeles or Vegas or something, is it Toronto and all these ofsania. Yeah, yeah, I guess I've got some good stories, though, we'll get to it.
Speaker 1: There was one celebrity though, They mentioned Jesse on commentary. You know, jump around for a second, but when Warriors fight Hogan and Warrior is getting beat down by Hogan, girls like, you know, ken Hogan sustained this, and Jesse says, well, ask Richard Bowser if he can sustain this? And I was like, holy shit, Like, isn't that the guy that Hogan choked out before WrestleMania won and then he the sued him for the twenty million dollar Yeah, Belzer for twenty million dollars. I was like, why would you throw that out there on commentary?
Speaker 2: Like damn?
Speaker 1: When I when I heard him say that, I was, oh, I don't think anyone's ever picked this up before until like right now. It just shocked me to hear that they threw out a guy who sued the WWF and Hulk Cogan for millions of dollars. Yeah, there's Jesse been like, let's just throw in a one line and see if anyone notices.
Speaker 4: Well, and that getting back to Jesse as I said he was, he was Jesse, and and you know that Vince's Backstag's going, oh, I can't believe he said that. But Jesse said whatever was on his mind, whatever he thought might work or or might create a little you know, tension out there, he would do it. And that was yeah. I mean I do remember thinking like, oh, you tee, why would you even say that, because such a oh and it's such a you know, touchy subject anyway, But that was Jesse, you know, love to love to.
Speaker 3: Stir it up.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Umnlesten, though, do win the Taitoo titles back from Andre and Hakku. Andre really can't do much, so Hokkin's in the ring, and this sets up the scenario of Bobby blaming onto the Giant for the match. Andre slaps Bobby Heenan, setting up the Andre is now a babyface, and this is the end of Andre the giants entering career, because he tries to continue on but it's just not the same anymore, and he's out. In a year from now, he was on crutches and then in ninety three passes away. So in reality, did everyone know this was the end of Andre and this was the great moment of let's turn on babyface one more time and get him that audience.
Speaker 2: To cheer him.
Speaker 1: Sixty five thousand people cheering for him. Like, is that what this moment was all about?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think they were actually thinking it was the end, but I think that they felt it was. You know, uh, you know, we have this big stage and we should celebrate him and get him involved. You know, it wasn't something Andrey wanted to go out there and just stand at ringside. But you could see for what he did do in that match, it was it was hard for him. You know that he was just not he was really heavy at the time and everything I think hurt, especially his back was you could just tell by the way he moved. But they did want to get him involved, and you could see that meng or Haku uh, you know, had to take on the vast majority of the load for that that matchup, but you know, they still got Andre involved. They'd get him close to the ropes and he'd get a shot in there. And then of course all at the end of it and when it blows up with Bobby andu uh as you know, he knocks Bobby around, he's had enough. And you know, you watching those and people used to talk about, you know, when Andre really had to watch how when he would you know, smack people, because really you don't understand the you know, the massive strength that he had until he would do something as simple as slap you. And you could see he didn't want to hurt Bobby. And there's a few of them where he made sure he didn't really even get close, but there were a couple that connected and you could just see that, like you know, and Bobby of course sold it tremendously, but you know, they they had a lot of they had a great affection for each other. Uh you know, Andre really.
Speaker 3: Liked Bobby and uh it, I.
Speaker 4: Think everybody was feeling the same way. There was a there was a sadness about it all. We didn't know if it was going to be next month, if it was going to be six months.
Speaker 3: Or a year.
Speaker 4: But as you said, it was there was the feeling that the end was coming, and not necessarily his life, but that he couldn't do this anymore. And we've talked before too, as you mentioned that he was on those metal crutches that and basically, you know, it just was. It was almost like he was crawling around and that was really hard to watch too, because Andre didn't have anything else as far as what his life was really focused on. I'm not saying he didn't have another life. You know, he had that horse ranch. He used to love to go there, but this was his life and when it was over, and you know, Vince had a it was was very much torn in this in the fact that he didn't know, you know, how to do it. I think that you know, you've heard about there was kind of this riff between Andrea and Vince at the end there. But Vince didn't want to see him basically humiliated or him you know, people seeing him fail. But Andre didn't want to go away either. That's what he loved being backstage. He loved playing cards with the guys, he loved being around that whole atmosphere.
Speaker 3: But he just physically couldn't do it anymore.
Speaker 4: And so I think it was very hard for Vince because he knew he owed a lot to Andrea, especially in the early years and and Andre helping put over that whole organization. But at the same time, do you sit there and let that happen, you know, and I don't think Vince wanted to see that happen, and and you know what could he say?
Speaker 3: And so I think that he endured.
Speaker 4: That that Andre, you know, being upset with him and feeling he'd been betrayed, but knew, I I just can't let this happen to even if he doesn't realize it.
Speaker 1: Well, Andre the Giant is the first person ever inducted into the WWF Hall of Fame, So even if there was a rift at the end, unfortunately Andre didn't know that he was going to be the first name inducted into this Hall of Fame that now has carried the weight of so many different names and over the years people either love the Hall of Fame or hate the Hall of Fame. But when it was initially created, it put in the right person first, and that was Andre the Giant. And he did leave for WCW towards the end of his life, and that created it.
Speaker 2: Even a bigger rift, and that was the end. You know, it passes away.
Speaker 1: And we talked about on our Demolition podcast though about how Demolition being given the nod to work with Andre, because think about the people who did before, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, Jake the sneak Hulk Coogan. You don't really hear many other people getting to work with Andre, especially around this time, and Demolition got the opportunity to do it. So I think it's pretty awesome to see that Demolition was such a popular tag team. They're like, all right, well, Andre can work with him. And I know Andre was friends with them as well, So it was just a nice cap off.
Speaker 2: At the end of having.
Speaker 1: Andre in the little ring, he's waving to the audience. The audience's crazy form, sixty five thousand people cheering form. It was a great sendoff for Wrestmania six for him. Unfortunately, what happened at the end is you know, life happens. But Hercules versus Earthquake is up next. Both men are sort of undefeated around this time, and Earthquake has a record of beating thirty men in a row, and now he just defeats Hercules.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Now, Hercules, I have a question for you about Hercules, because he always confused me because sometimes he pretends he's Hercules, He's you know, lives living on a Mount Olympus. Other times he pretends he's Hercules Hernandez his heritage. I'm so confused sometimes on who is Hercules?
Speaker 2: Is he the iss Zeus is dead?
Speaker 1: Is he just a wrestler earl's named Hercules with the chains? What were your thoughts in Hercules?
Speaker 4: Well, I think and to me he was always Hercules the god.
Speaker 3: They yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Of course they went back to when it came down to it, when it came got down to, you know, being down and dirty, he became Hercules Hernandez bunny when it came out to that ring though, with the chains and everything like that, and overall, yeah, he was supposed to be the Greek god and uh, you know, argue one way or the other if he filled that role, But it was a good gimmick for him, and you know he was He was quite the strong man in real life.
Speaker 3: There was no question about that.
Speaker 4: So you know, the gimmick fit him. But I think when it came down to it, he was most comfortable as Hercules Hernandez and just mixing it up in the ring.
Speaker 1: All right, because sometimes he'd be like, I live on mont Olympuss.
Speaker 4: You get back to your gimmick, Ray come out.
Speaker 1: I don't know, are you in power and glory now? So when you're in powering glory, are you still Zeus. I never understood sometimes where it was dropped and brought up again, but that's just me nitpicking, I guess. But earthquake defeats Hercules here, which again in the next paper view SummerSlam nineteen ninety would be Earthquake against Hulk Cogan, and so it's really nice to see that ear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're putting him over, no question about it. And you know, Hercules is a great guy to put in the ring against him for, you know, to make it happen. And this is that whole thing that he's an unstoppable force that you know, when earthquake's in there and he squashes you, it's over.
Speaker 2: It is over.
Speaker 1: And I'm surprised because he used to be the Canadian earthquake, so this audience would have been like, yeah.
Speaker 2: We're in Canada earthquake.
Speaker 1: There is some questionable things about patriotism in this because it's the most celebrities for a minute.
Speaker 2: So we don't have America the Beautiful.
Speaker 1: We have Robert Goulay starting off Restmania six singing.
Speaker 2: Oh so we get that well.
Speaker 1: We also have Steve Allen, we have Mary Tyler Moore here, we have Rona Barrett, so we have all these celebrities, and let's go through them for a little bit, because some people who are listening to this may be like, who. So, uh, Mary Tellimore, you were in the audience asking fans about Rhythmon Blues about to sing their new song Honka Honk hunkle Love three honkers. You've been pointing us out to us a couple of times.
Speaker 2: And you give you this one kid, and you're like, so, kid, how you doing you?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: I don't like it? Like do you know those nameless songs?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: They stink? All right?
Speaker 1: You move on to another person behind Mary Telling Moore, and you interview her, and I'm gonna tell you she was sitting in front row, but she also looked like a deer in headlights. Now for you, you're supposed to be interviewing her about WrestleMania, about Rhythmon Blues, about all this stuff.
Speaker 2: But are some celebrities just clueless and they're just here for a paycheck?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I uh, well, it's funny you mentioned that because, uh, Mary Tyler Moore, you know I grew up watching her shows. I mean I with the you know, Dick Van Dyke that show, and then also the Mary Tyler Moore show, the one that she had where and and so, you know, I was thrilled to even meet her, but there was no chance to get together before and say, Okay, this is what I want to do, this is what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: Like her people, it.
Speaker 4: Just wasn't gonna happen. And I think she was there with her husband at the time. I don't know if they stayed married, I don't know, but he was with her, and it was just kind of like, Okay, you know, we had the spotters in there and the camera they so you're gonna go over there and I'm working, you know, like you said, I talked to a kid, So that was kind of planted to go. You know, I'm gonna start here and they're gonna go there and gonna get to marry. Oh it's Mary Tyler Moore. Hey. And seriously, I wondered, have you ever seen anything that we've done? You know, and why why did you come? I don't know. Maybe maybe her husband was a big wrestling fan. I don't know, but as he said everything I said, so you know, what do you think about that? Yeah? They are great, cause it was you know, I don't know if any of her answers were more than five seconds long, and I'm still trying to push it. And then I just remember, you know, Kerwin in my ear like okay, wrap it, get out of there, like she's not gonna work with us here. I did everything I can, but it was still it was it was cool to interview Mary Tyler Moore because you know, I just remember watching her as a kid.
Speaker 3: So but that was certainly an interesting encounter.
Speaker 4: But that goes to show when they just have I wish that I would have gotten a chance to just doing a side with her and say, look, Mary, I'm gonna ask you about this, and she said, I don't know who he is, and I'll say, well, I would have given her some some points, you know, or something.
Speaker 3: To say to help.
Speaker 4: But it is she just looked like and even like you said, deer in headlights, because the eyes were even kind of like, oh, well.
Speaker 2: It's great to be here, is it?
Speaker 3: Though? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: But I wanted to let's talk about Robert Gulay because Robert Gulays an interesting story too. Now, him singing the Canadian national anthem is not a big stretch because he wasn't a Canadian, but was you know, had lived in Canada for a long time and had I think his parents were French Canadian, so he had that connection anyway. But what's interesting here now, I don't know if people remember, but in nineteen sixty five, Robert Gulay sang the national anthem for the Muhammad Ali Sonny Listen fight, and he booted the lyrics and you know, like I said, he was more Canadian than he was American, and he didn't get the lyrics down. He claimed that, you know, he he was tired, he didn't have a chance to learn the lyric excellent, how does a ha? And he booted him. So I think it was like this stigma with him to ever sing. I don't think he'd sung it sung anthems at places ever since then. And so when they contacted his people and he didn't want to do whatever, and they see and I think what it came down to it is because he didn't want to have another experience like that. Well what they told him was, look, we've got these screens up all over the arena and we're going to put the words up basically, have a teleprompter up there. And I would have you know, I think he probably knew the Canadian national anthem, but if anything glitched, they were going to be right there. The words are going to be right there. So he agrees to do it and freaking nails it. And I remember seeing him backstage. He was freaking ecstatic because I think it was one of those things with him, you know, that had you know, if you if you've ever had something that you totally screwed up and then you get another shot at it and then you fix it, and then you go, Okay, now I can finally put this frickin thing out of my brain. And I think that's what it was for him. And then to have that, you know, be in front of that audience, and I'm telling you, man, that guy was just beaming.
Speaker 3: He was so happy.
Speaker 4: And that's what I remember thinking that, you know, because we'd all had a dog like that, you know, and I finally get to let that one go.
Speaker 3: So that was my Robert Gulay memory. Steve Allen.
Speaker 4: Now was another great moment, if you if everyone remembered that Steve Allen is in the locker room in the shower for the acoustic They got a whole grand piano in there, and they got Nikolai and Boris in the shower and he's going to sing the Russian national anthem. And of course Steve Allen if anybody remembers who he was, he was a very famous talk show host and comedian and was kind of the first Johnny Carson. And I don't know, you know, you think about some of these people together are just so random, like Allen, where has he been? But he does this bit with him and I'll tell you right now, Nick Lai and Boris had they didn't have a freaking who. They don't know who Steve Allen is, and they're just rolling with it. And I just thought that was the funniest thing. I remember looking at it again and I still think it's hilarious because he's, you know, he's totally goofing on them and they don't they don't know what's going on. And I also remember my other member of Steve Allen is that the makeup styleist person that the w W he had, Jill, and I can't remember her last name, but she was she worked at Hamilton and they brought her to, you know, the for the event to do hair and makeup for people. And I remember her telling me that Steve Allen's people had sent her basically this binder that was pages long on how to put his two pey on. Just now, that's a fun fact that I don't know, but I just remember telling me and looking at this thing of you know, you put the glue here and then it's set, and I'm thinking, if I got a hair piece, man, I'm the one putting that thing on. Yes, But but they had a whole thing of how his makeup and how his hair piece went on for this That still, to me though, was one of the greatest WrestleMania moments. Is Steve Allen in the shower with Nicola Ion.
Speaker 1: Boris was about to sing too, and finally he's joking with him the whole time that I know, when someone flushes the toilet, right and then.
Speaker 2: Screaming about someone.
Speaker 4: And you know, Vince loved that, he'd love that toilet humor. And it did. It worked, it was and I and I think they did that like in one take. You know, Steve Allen was very good, and of course Boris and nicol I didn't have to do a whole hell of a lot except you know, react, But uh yeah, classic classic wrestle Moonia WrestleMania moments, and I think Steve Allen he's in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: I think, oh, I don't know, maybe possibly, you know, there's a few he should be.
Speaker 2: If he's not, there's a few people. Let's get that going now, you know.
Speaker 4: But it was an interesting that a whole collection of celebrities you think about it over the years, Uh, you know just how random. I mean we had Liberachi and uh you Bob Buker and yeah, but hey.
Speaker 2: Mary Hart I think was there. You had Iral.
Speaker 4: Ones, Oh yeah, and Roda Barrett was at this. We were talking before and you had no idea who Rota Bartt was. Well, because I'm old, I remember that she was one of the original uh you know, the gossip columnists who actually made the transition to television. And she would she was kind of before Entertainment Tonight and she would go on and you know, this celebrity gossip. So that's why she ended up. She was there to interview Elizabeth.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, she puts over Liz Hard where she's like, I've interviewed celebrities and musicians, but you, you know, you are the You're the greatest one interviewed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Marilyn Monroe, not close, Miss.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth, Miss Elizabeth. Yeah, it's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: They did bring Steve Allen on commentary during one match and he flaught to acknowledge that this is the greatest thing he's ever seen in his life, and yeah, he's probably I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: I'm up here in the rafter who Jesse.
Speaker 4: He should have been sitting next to Mary Tyler Moore.
Speaker 3: They could have both been.
Speaker 2: Clueless to the great show I'm having.
Speaker 4: He did and he appreciated entertainment. So I'm sure that that was genuine from Steve Allen and he was classic. I mean that was that was phenomenal to have somebody like that who was really an icon in television hea'ts you know, was one of the originals and started and helped shape that whole concept of talk of night talk shows.
Speaker 1: Wow again, people don't give you know, in today's world where you have certain talk shows ending or being not once they used to because before you'd have a celebrity get interviewed by Steve Allen, for instance, Well, the only way to know what that celebrity was doing was to watch these interviews or read a magazine article Now I can go on social media and figure out what John Cena ate for breakfast today instead of watching him on a late night talk show, because I don't need to wait untill eleven thirty to watch him. I can figure out what's happening in his life instantly with social media, with online So it's changed. But yeah, that's a weird crop of celebrities because you said, over the years, you've had people who are very topical.
Speaker 2: They've had people who are very bring the youth movement.
Speaker 1: In this group of people, I'm not sure what celebrities.
Speaker 2: The combo of it was like, take a dart, throw the wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some celebrities and see what we can bring in. Nothing wrong with them, but it was a little strange. Moving on, though, Perfect to Govern ms Bubber Beefcake. We did Mister Perfect podcast. We talked about his career, and I flat out suggested that Beefcake defeated Perfect Tear because of Hult Cogland's political influence. Maybe I have no facts, These are just opinions and conspiracy theories with my tinfoil hat on. But yet it is a good match. But what happens at the end is a genius gets knocked out, he gets put in the sleeper hold. Who the genius is, mister a perfect manager. Well, he's supposed to be knocked out, so he can't just get up and walk away with things that going the way he doesn't want them to. Beefcakes gots shaving off the Genius's hair. Well, if you don't know, the Genius, Lenny Pofo is the brother of the macho man Rainey Savage, according to the rumors. After this happens, Macha Mango is backstage to confront Bruce Piefcake about pretty much doing whatever he wanted to do to his brother in front of sixty five thousand people because his brother was selling that he got put out with a sleeper hole.
Speaker 2: Did you hear anything about this?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it was just everything about that match to me was kind of stre change and and forced in a sense, and uh, it wasn't it wasn't a bad match. You know, Brutus, Brutus could go. He of course had that connection to the Holkster and that never that idea and basically you say, nepotism and a sense that gave him a loud of opportunities. But you know, uh, you know Brutus was was h was good in his own right, It's just that that stigma stayed with him. But overall, I mean it was it was a good match. But as we mentioned before, you know, what was the Genius doing with mister Perfect? I still like what It just doesn't make any sense. Kurt didn't need anybody with him at all, and so was it a sense just to keep Lanny working? And uh, you know part of the mix there maybe, but you could see at the end of that thing, and I'm sure Kurt made it very clear up front, I'll do this, but that that guy is not cutting my hair. It's just not happening. So uh, as you see what takes place is you know, Kurt gets knocked out, basically hits the the ring post and gets knocked out.
Speaker 3: Brutus gets the cover.
Speaker 4: And then he's gonna cut mister Perfect's hair. Uh. In the meantime, like the Genius goes over and steals the shears, and it gives mister Perfect the opportunity to get the scoot out of the ring. And when he chases down Lanny, uh uh oh, what's gonna happen?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: I thought it was funny though when he gets him back in the ring, he's gonna start cutting his hair. He's already got a really bad haircut. Anyway, if you did you look at that at.
Speaker 1: The Royal Rumboldt Beef Carty did this to Genius a little bit so.
Speaker 4: But to me, it was just shenanigans. That's what I used used to say, you know, just what what shenanigans are we gonna do here? And that's what that was at the end of it. And I don't know, I don't want to say it soiled the match, but it just was shenanigans as far as I was concerned. Remember that word, their sonigans. That's what they're doing in there at the end of it. You got a good match and then you do your shenanigans. I don't like it one bit.
Speaker 1: I didn't think you could get impressions and accents today on russelling is six.
Speaker 2: But here we are in Canada. Where's your Canadian?
Speaker 4: Never know what you're gonna get from Mooney.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true. Uh, it's just funny though.
Speaker 1: Over the years you've heard Savage always protecting his brother, even in WCW where Lenny Poffo never had one match, but over lawsuits, contracts came out and it was revealed that Lenny Papa was getting over one hundred thousand dollars a year in WW for two years.
Speaker 2: He didn't wrestle one match.
Speaker 1: Eric Eric Bischoff, though, has clarified that Macho Man when he Savage was such a good brother, he took the money out of his own contract and gave it to Lenny. Now, I don't even know how it is on a lawyer speak, I'm not sure that's even possible, but somehow erk Bershov says so. In reality, I don't know, but if Beefcake took advantage of the genius and in backstage match him in and is in Beefcake's face about this, it's like, well, buddy, your guy's a crony. Like you're talking about a totem pole. He's on the bottom. Like getting his head shaved is one thing. He's someone else can get their head shaved too, Like calm yourself, mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And you know, look, come on, let's uh, let's give credit here or just understanding that Lenny was Randy's brother and they came up together through the family and his you know, their father had a little territory and they were close. Uh so, yeah, I appreciated the fact that he wanted to take care of his brother. And I felt like in a lot of instances, you know, these guys work their ass off and they do deliver and bring a lot of money into the company, and if you can help take care of somebody else that's with you along for that ride, why not. And it wasn't as though, you know, Lanny wasn't uh you know, worthless or something like that. I mean, he could do a lot of things in the ring, and so yeah, I didn't really have a problem with it. And if they go down WCW and and where everybody was getting that cash grab, sure, then good good for Lanny. I'm glad that that happened.
Speaker 2: That's a good point too.
Speaker 1: Before this matchup, though, you did get to interview Bruce A Barbara Beefcake backstage and you're holding the You're holding a piece of paper and Beefcake's like it has these giant hedge clippers and he's he's sitting there talking about mister perfect, how he has this perfect record. I've been looking at his record, Mooney, and he's got a perfect record.
Speaker 2: But tonight and he's cutting it. Your hand is I know right there? I just giant. He seems like, sir, sir, I like my fingers.
Speaker 4: I could have those things were you know, he had those things sharp. Really wanted to be able to cut the paper that would have taken if you click.
Speaker 2: Gotta look at him like, dude, due my mullet, don't cut And I.
Speaker 3: Don't think and I don't remember, tell me I'm going to do that.
Speaker 4: I don't. Maybe maybe I'm sure maybe he did it because uh, you know, I I if you see, I've got like the paper, I'm holding it as about as far into the thing of like before it falls out of my hand. But yeah, yeah, that was uh uh you know, an uncomfortable moment. I guess you could say, yeah, I didn't want to lose. I wanted to keep my digits.
Speaker 2: He still got him, so good for you.
Speaker 1: Next up, we talked about a whole hour about this event, and this topic has ruined my YouTube channel for a little bit, and so we'll just say.
Speaker 2: Ronie Piper's back, let's not talk about it.
Speaker 1: Missing from the broad cast on the ww vault YouTube channelist is where I watched this the other day, because you know, Peacock.
Speaker 2: It's everywhere.
Speaker 1: But the controversy around this is the you know, the black face paint.
Speaker 2: And the funny rib though, is how.
Speaker 1: After this, where Piper is going backstage, you get the solution to get the paint off because he didn't want it to come off while he was sweating in the ring. Well, Andre and Arnold Scroland remove the solution, put water in there, so it does not work.
Speaker 2: So Piper has to go around with.
Speaker 1: This makeup on his body for at least a few weeks. And we did a whole podcast about it and almost got canceled for it. So we're going to move on, Move on, move on. If you want to hear about that, it's up there and enjoyed that.
Speaker 4: It needs to get paid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta get paid YouTube. Someone complains. Fun fact behind the curtain, folks, someone complained about this, and that's why we got demonetize on YouTube for a little bit.
Speaker 4: So moving on, moving on to st But it just shows you how even to this day, it's a very sensitive subject.
Speaker 1: Yes, agreed, I you know I next when I was looking for controversy.
Speaker 2: I found it and it found me. So that's what. Okay, that was my fault. That's my fault.
Speaker 1: A Heart Foundation take on the Bolsheviks and their Steve Allen segment lasted longer than their actual match. I think you're right eighteen seconds this match last.
Speaker 3: Ye, well it did last longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nadian heroes.
Speaker 1: Brett Hart is here, and it's just funny because years ago one where Brett would come out with the Canadian flag and be so pro Canadian. Here it's like they just it's not really a thing. They're not really leaning into. Hey he's from Canada, yet, why not promote that he's from Canada, like really like your hometown heroes.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, that's a very interesting point. You would have thought they would have sold that thing, you would have come out there, but yeah, it was like sole focus on Heart Foundation and what they're doing now. It's interesting though, because you know, you talk about the territories there and a lot of people there like separate countries from where where you're from, and some of them, you know, are heavily like Montreal like that French Canadian, and you know other places are different. So I don't know what they're thinking was but yeah, that was kind of surprising to me too. But it was like we saw. This was like a very quick whole segment for the show. You know, the boom, it's over.
Speaker 1: So and her Foundation haven't had the tag team title since October of nineteen eighty seven, and they will regain it at Summer Slam nineteen ninety defeating the Heel Demolition with Crush along their side and the introduction of Legion to Doom.
Speaker 2: So I think this is really just like, all right, let's get them out there. It's WrestleMania. We got to put everybody on this card.
Speaker 1: So you're here beat them in eighteen seconds because I'm nothing against Nikolai in the Bolsheviks.
Speaker 2: But did you want to see the match go longer than eighteen seconds?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I was fine.
Speaker 1: I was yeah, I was fine with just moving past that.
Speaker 4: There much more entertaining in the shower.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, I agree.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: We talked about earlier how Rick de Martin Martell did not fight Tito Santana at this event strike for us because we thought each man should level up and have a win. Well, the model wins is match. The next step is Tito Santana resus the Barbarian. Barbarian beats Tito Santana with the top rope clothesline, which I think is always perfect because that's really something you didn't see in the early nineties or in the eighties. Why this random up and down with Tito, Because I always thought Tito was so popular, but yet maybe he was so popular it didn't matter for you if he won or lost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I love Tito, you know that. But he was just one of those guys that you could never get past mid card. You know, he just it's try and they did. They did big pushes, they tried with you know, the Matador and everything like that. Uh, but people loved them, they did, you know. I mean, I don't think you could find anybody in an arena and say, you know, what do you think of Tito Santana's say I hate that ger. I think he's not you know, everybody loved them. It's just that they they only loved him so much, you know, like it wasn't where they wanted to see him, uh, you know, at the top for some reason. You know, as as we've talked about many other superstars that just don't they just don't have that it thing. And uh so what you do is, you know you love them because they're such great workers.
Speaker 3: They're so devoted to what they do.
Speaker 4: They're very entertaining, they're popular, and so they can help.
Speaker 3: Us put other guys over.
Speaker 4: Point and uh yeah, and and barb was another, you know, uh a guy at the time like he you know, he like you said, come off top rope doing a He could do a lot of things in there and just you know, one of those nasty performers. But he always had he had to have somebody else with him. Man. That's why Bobby was, you know, his manager and everything like that. And so there's only so much you can do with the guy like that. But you know, this day they he was the one that went over Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you know, earlier in this year of nineteen ninety, Missafuji was the manager of the Warlord and the Barbarian the Powers of Pain. While he sells those contracts individuals. The Warlord goes with Slick, Barbarian goes with Bobby Heenan. No, I didn't really ever see a problem with Powers of Pain, Like why was it Legion and Dooma is coming in? So should break up the team that sort of looks the most like them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, I mean because remember at the time, there was plenty of room for tag teams and whether or not they you know, gain big pushes or not, but they were they were, you know, funkal tools in the and the whole tag team operation that was going on at the time. I just think that they felt it wasn't really it wasn't getting over uh, you know, so let's let's split him up and see if they can do something in singles competition. And one of the things with you know, like having Barbarian with with mister Fuji, you know, uh wasn't a great combination.
Speaker 3: And mister Fuji could do what he did, but he still.
Speaker 4: Wasn't as far as an orator, uh as you know with interviews, he just could only do so much. And Bobby was beyond that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Bobby could uh go on and on and put people over and and so that was a as far as giving him the best tools he could possibly have to succeed, putting him with Bobby was was the best option. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm next though, year backstage with Dusty Rhodes and Sweet sap Fi and interviewing them about about the next coming matchup. Now, what was it like? We did a whole podcast about Dusty Rose coming into the WWF. But backstage for Dusty Rhodes, what's his prep time? What's is he coming in blind?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: How long does this take to get through?
Speaker 1: Because he seems so comfortable in what he's doing because he's talking about the crown, jewels.
Speaker 2: Macho king, you know, you can't be a king.
Speaker 1: You have a crown, but you're not without royalty, without jewels, you're not a real king.
Speaker 2: What was it like working with Dusty Rose?
Speaker 1: Because everyone in today's world always admires him.
Speaker 4: Well, as I said, you know, talk about orators. Dusty was was a master and you know his promos were fantastic. Put him in any situation here, he was in there in the polka dots, making it work, putting it over. So whatever the situation, he's gonna go against the macho King. And we have this odd tag team match up with with Sapphire actually getting into the ring too against sensational Sherry, which I which which was really weird for me to see Sherry kind of in uh, you know, wrestling gear and where and wrestling boots because you know, you've gotten so used to her being in the fish net and the the big spikes and boys, she could work in those things and imagine what you know, getting into the ring and working in shoes like that. Uh, just shows you the talent that she had. But this was this is another This is a real gimmick match to me.
Speaker 2: So it's the first ever mixed tag match at WrestleMania.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and boy it was. It was an interesting mix for sure. And you know, Sapphire, I didn't have a clue what she did. I think she'd done some you know, and in some of these low level shows or something. She was a huge mostly just a huge fan. So but you know, Cherry helped her out. And that was one thing that was was awesome about Sensational Sherry is that she was all about the business. And if you put her in a situation, whether or not she liked it or felt that this was what she wanted to do, whatever she she knew she was, that was her job. And uh, you see in that match, she did everything she could to help Sapphire in this and uh, you know, for what it's worth, it it was, you know, as good as it could be.
Speaker 3: I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 4: But and certainly had to be the biggest moment of Sapphire's life. Well, yeah, being a part of that.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine she was a fan and then you came in and got brought in I think Dusty Dusty Roads like one of the grass of all time, and.
Speaker 4: Now which was one of her favorites of all I mean, I think she, you know, loved Dusty, So the.
Speaker 3: Opportunity, the chance, she got the opportunity to work with him.
Speaker 4: And then you're in the ring too with Randy Savage and and sensational Sherry. Yeah, talk about achievement. Are no kidding?
Speaker 1: Like you're not just in the match on Superstar as a wrestling challenge, you are in this. So you said Sherry was comfortable working with Sapphire because I know, as you would see those years ago on, like, Sherry is very protective of her role because she's one of She'd always say like, oh, you're just a girl, Like, no, she's one of like the guys. People would say, like, she's don't mess with Sherry. So how do you think she was comfortable working with someone who wasn't actually a trained wrestler.
Speaker 4: Well, I think, well, certainly there was no threat that stephar would show her up somehow, but she was a true professional and and Sherry could work with anyone, you know, she when she was in that ring or ringside, didn't matter who it was she was. You know, she could work with anybody and take bumps and deliver bumps, you know, right back in the mix. And I mentioned before that you know she was in there with a man or something doing and he was supposed to close liner and he took it easy. Oh my god, pray for his soul because she would be you know, in his face and telling him you deliver, that you do it, and otherwise she would deliver her own receipt. So she gave as good as she got, and she's she helped cross that line for a lot of women. As I've said before that you know the women in professional wrestling. Oh that woman a lot for being able to make it very clear that there were and there weren't many that could do it, but there were were women who could go toe to toe with the best of the best out there and take it all and really be able to work.
Speaker 3: So this was just another example.
Speaker 4: I can't even imagine, like she's thinking, you know, what am I going to do with this person? You know, how much going to work with her? But you know they worked it out.
Speaker 1: And then Miss Elizabeth shows up as the Crown Jewels with Dustin Rhodes and Sapphire to really set off Macho King. And so now you have three women in one match in reality, which is not really a thing you see in the early eighties and early nineties of multiple women show. Is powerful Liz super powerful, saptphire, you have your thoughts on her? So Elizabeth coming back? She's been gone for a year since the Mega Powers exploded. Now with that interview earlier, arrestmine, earlier in This Night where they're asking where.
Speaker 2: Have you been? Why don't you hear what's going on?
Speaker 1: Why not just as a fly on my hat, not just as a performer. Why do you think she wasn't on television because easily she could have been inserted to other things without Macho Mitten. But is it more like Machi Man just wanted her to be home or is it more to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there was a lot Like you said, Uh, I think she just had gotten tired of the road. I mean I remember there were you know, rumors of it. Maybe she's gonna, you know, having a child, or she was, you know, pregnant, or something like that. But I think that it was just, you know, after a long stretch, you know, they'd been you know, at it for a long time, and that that life is really tough, and I think she just needed a break. There may have been cracks in that relationship going on, so I just think there was a lot happening. But that's I think that's really what it just came down to us. She just needed to, you know, get off the road and just chill and just be able to you know, have some kind of a life, a normal life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the eighth match.
Speaker 4: Though, but as you could see, she couldn't stay away though, you know, I mean, I don't think that that was something that somebody shoved her in front of the truck there to go back at it. I think that after a while, okay, she was ready to do something again.
Speaker 1: What's crazy, though, is in the w WF though, she like disappears and then she hasn't come back and till resting to seven to reunite with Macha Man. Then she returns back in early ninety two to set up other names. Get pictures of her at WRESTLINGI eight when she joins abc W in ninety five. She's on Nitro every week with Rick Flayer and the Macho Man. I just wonder why that she was removed from WWF television, but yet incw it was like, she's here every week on Nitro, on the shows like it just felt why disappear now when you're one of the hottest characters there was, especially because Sherry's not wearing it TBT teeny Weeny Yellow Poke and doct bikinis. We brought it before Liz just in a bathing suit on a poster sold like crazy. I don't know why dips wo was around, not in WWF. Either way, Sapphire did pick well.
Speaker 4: She had to make a living at that point. She was on her own basically, and so she right, she had to make a living prior to that, and and the money was really good early on there and with with Randy, but after that, you know, as we there's many tales of uh A lot of times it doesn't go so far. So she I think probably when it came down to and I certainly don't know, and I imagine that she had to make a living too at that point.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, you know, somewhere in the show, I don't have it written down, but we'll talk about right now. Rhythm and Blues have a concert with Diamond Dallas Page driving down and a pink Cadillac. The Rushwackers interrupt this as well. This is all before when you talked about you interviewing Mary Talamore, how she was going to be excited for this Rhythmen blues song, Honk of Honk of Honk of love Boy, you talk about crashing and burning on live television. Dude, this is horrible and maybe someone thinks it's hilarious and it's fun. I'm sorry you're wrong. Because Honky Tonk Man is sort of singing. You have the Honk Cats doing the real part of the Hunk of honk Abo and then it's time for greg the Hammer Valentine with his jet black care to sing and he forgot every word.
Speaker 2: Love what he was.
Speaker 1: There no practicing, there was no rehearsal, Like what are we doing here with Gregor Hammer Valentine?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that was not a great moment in music, was it? No side note here though? The Diamonds Diamond Dallas Page was his WrestleMania debut, and yeah, and he tells the story, you know that was his That was his Cadillac. That's how he got involved. Somebody said, hey, yeah, we need a Cadillac, and they said, hey, we know this guy.
Speaker 2: And he also worked for a strip club. That's why they knew him.
Speaker 4: No, he was a man. Well, yeah, it was a club that they went to. I only it was a strip club. It was just a club popular. Yeah, it was a popular nightclub that he managed and a lot of the guys would go in. That's how he got into it. That's a whole other episode. But he had this cadillac and he tells the story. I think it was Pat Patterson called him and said, you know what you're luck can you come up We'll get you through your cadillac. Uh And Dallas was like yeah, And they said, well what do you want for and he said, just you pay to get it up there and let me drive it. I don't think him he didn't get any other money to do that. But you know, Dallas is just uh, you know, he's yeah, but the way his mind works, you know, he was thinking, you know, and and because the way he interacts with people that it was just an opportunity, another opportunity to get in the door. And you know, they don't pay me anything, just just bring me up there, and you know, just laid another track for him on that journey that.
Speaker 3: He was taking.
Speaker 4: But I just thought that that was so typical Dallas that he, you know, just seized an opportunity.
Speaker 3: So anyway, but you're right about the the You would have thought.
Speaker 4: That somebody would have said, let's see what he sounds like, or let's do a rehearsal.
Speaker 3: You know, that's where you do it before.
Speaker 4: I hope, I honestly I don't. I don't think so. I think uh uh, I don't know. Or maybe he just totally blew the lines. But I don't remember hearing anything backstage of them warming up.
Speaker 3: That's all I can tell you. So maybe they were off somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Me me, me me, Yeah, it was the Honk AATs who carried that performance, and the Bushwhackers show up and they just they destroyed the guitars, and yes, the body Ventura is very upset that they interrupted one of the greatest performances of all time. I think Jesse might have been on that little drunk with Steve Allen Well and I.
Speaker 3: Was a huge fan of Honkey Talk Man.
Speaker 4: He could uh, he was made me laugh every time I saw him, because he had that you know, this bad Elvis, but he pulled it off and you know, the moves and everything, and he had that guitar would be totally out of tune.
Speaker 3: He did not play that thing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love the Yeah, Greg, they could have just kept in the background.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the heck they were thinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't either, But it's it seems like this whole entire event, there's like a match.
Speaker 2: People want to see the match.
Speaker 4: People are it's shenanigans there, But like Steve, there's Steve Fall, there's the Shenanigans. Why why we have so many shenanigans going on?
Speaker 2: What is that coffee? We're on to match number nine? There's fourteen Irish whiskey.
Speaker 4: That's what's in here.
Speaker 1: Lad Jesus Lady, starting early for mister Mooney. Here the Rockers are up neck taking on the Orient Express, a name you can't use in today's world or any Express win the match via counter after Fuji throws salt in Jenny's eyes. It's a great match in the Rockers would fight the Orient Express again. I think it's runnable ninetety one, and it's a great match. It's unbelievable, but it's still like there's a there's a pattern to this wrestuming it where it's like people wanted to see this.
Speaker 2: People didn't want to care about this. People wanted to see this. All right, go to the bathroom by merch.
Speaker 1: All right, you want to see this because up next Million Other the Man versus Jake the Snake rob of course you want to see this matter.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see that these two are the.
Speaker 1: Greatest in the Golden era, especially around this time. Now the storyline, they play you a video package. It's very weird because they show you, like eight months ago the million deala man took Jake the Snake Roberts out. He doesn't return for another like seven months after that. The real backstory to that is Jake had a problem with substance abuse, so they have to get him off television somehow, and Million Dollar Man taking him Out's a long time though, for a very popular wrestler to be removed from television and not really feeling the burn of missing one of these characters. What was it like seeing a wrestler like this, Jake the Snake Roberts, who clearly all these wrestlers are doing something backstage that aren't legal. But Jake the Snake, he's one of those stories that you hear more than others.
Speaker 4: Why is that the case, Well, somebody you know, and you know have known people throughout your life too, that you know they call people like social drinkers that can do that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: You could say.
Speaker 4: At the time, everybody was doing something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a.
Speaker 4: Lot of all kinds of stuff happening on the road, and these guys doing what they had to do to get into that ring, to get into the square circle. Others were just better at dealing with it. There were a few exceptions that took it more seriously and stayed away from things like that, and you know, but that was pretty much the exception. And Jake was not one of those people. He just it just got the best of them, and as we saw, it happened with many others. So yeah, and then when he gets to a point where it is impacting what you can do, you know, Fortunately the company was I not don't want to say compassionate, because it was all about business.
Speaker 3: You needed these guys. Jake was somebody who was a.
Speaker 4: Moneymaker for them, and they want they needed him healthy, so him stepping away and uh, you know, getting cleaned up was was necessary. I'm glad that in a situation, that's the way it was, because, like I said, it was business and not that they didn't take of low take care of low level guys as well, but not with the same fervor, I will tell you. And Jake was an earner, so they needed him back and they and that was something that was very important to them. But it just kind of made it clear at that point that he had some serious problems and they had to do something about it.
Speaker 1: And again, when you see Jake sink backstage with me and Gene Cutness promo talking about greed and talking about how he's going to make million dollar Man get on his knees, He's watched Mandela Man make other people get on their knees and ask her money. Well, he's going to make million dollar Man grovel here at Russelmania six. And I thought that was great because the storyline kind of is like, oh, well, Jake stole the million Dollar Championship from him, because Mandela Man takes things from other people. The Robin Hood storyline here, it was a nice touch because Jake the Snake Roberts, you know we talked about before Golden Era. I have come to the conclusion that he has the greatest storylines in the Golden Era, next to Hulk Hogan, Like there's no way you can touch him. And what he's been working with Andre, He's been working with Warrior Hogan, million dollar man.
Speaker 2: Macho man.
Speaker 1: He slaps Liz like, he turns Warrior almost he like, there's a lot to Jake the Snake Roberts. But here another count out teddbiasse wins by count Out.
Speaker 2: We just saw a match with count Out Raby Lornan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know that. You know, you could do so much with these guys, and that's how we end it, you know.
Speaker 2: Continue the storyline, I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I do want to mention here, you know, you talk about all these great storylines with Jake and and don't think for a second, you know he just got lucky or he was his character was so you know, easy to plan storylines with. Uh, that's not necessarily the case. And as I've mentioned before that you know, Jake was really good at understanding his character and being creative of what you know, you could do with him, and so he was as much a part of a lot of the things that he got involved in on his own.
Speaker 3: You know that he would say, you.
Speaker 4: Know, hey, what about this, Let's try this, you know, and you know what, and he was just really good at that. I think that he would have made a great booker if given the opportunity. And he thought that that's kind of where he was going to go with the company, and Vince basically shut that down when when Pat came back. But I thought that he could have been a great benefit to the company with that, with that part of his his repertoire. But I think, you know, you need to give him a lot of credit. He did have some great storylines, but he had a lot to do with that.
Speaker 2: Again, he's one of the greatest promo of all time.
Speaker 1: People get give people give Piper a lot of credit, people give the Rock a lot of credit. But Jake the Snake, Robert, it's like this dude, he'd always say.
Speaker 2: I remember interviewing.
Speaker 1: Him, and he'd say, I would talk even softer and softer, So you have to get closer to the television to hear me. Because instead of Warrior and again nothing against Warrior. His technique was screaming and yelling.
Speaker 2: That was his thing. A lot of guys and.
Speaker 4: The intensity and you know, quiet and quiet and quiet and I don't know what he's saying, but he's gonna he's freaking me out. Many call it a slow burn.
Speaker 3: I always say it's a slow burnings. Yeah, I know what you're thinking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, damn. You know, Jack Tunney taught me a lot of things, you know, and you'd be like, awesome.
Speaker 2: It's so funny in the mirror recently, Oh.
Speaker 4: Come on, it's being around those guys for so long it kind of sticks in your brain.
Speaker 3: Next time I see Bruce.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, They had that show on the network. He tried to make his his due impressions, but he held a mask over his face because he didn't want to insult Jr. By doing a closed eye and his mouth twisted like this.
Speaker 2: And uh, he didn't want to do that. So I don't get canceled again.
Speaker 1: So moving on, Big Boston, brus is a chem The Twin Towers have broken up. Big Boston recently turned baby Face, so we're just kind of wrapping up the Twin Tower storyline here. Big Boston actually gives a king his boss Man slam with one arm, and that is damn impressive. But this is kind of the end of a chem you know, we don't really see him do much after this Big boss Man huge push. He goes off to work with Hogan. He goes off to be part of one of my favorite Surviva Serious teams of all time with Hogan.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot going on there. But Keem, it's the end? Why Why the end for a keem?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: How long can you juke and jive? As the act I was.
Speaker 4: And you know, right so, and I think he became disenchanted and a lot of it as in many cases he felt that he wasn't earning enough and even says, you know, it was at some point where it was costing me to do this, whether or not that was true, but yeah, he became disenchanted and that had another opportunity to go earned some money.
Speaker 3: And took it.
Speaker 4: But the Big boss Man at this point was on a great trajectory moving up through the ranks and deservedly so. And I've mentioned many times how much I really loved boss Man. I just thought all the way around he was the whole package and worked really hard at it, because initially he wasn't as great doing you know, the promos, and but he grew into that where he was just phenomenal and the whole package with the night stick and and the way and what. He never gets enough credit to me on just how.
Speaker 3: Athletic he was. I mean he could do the.
Speaker 4: Splits, I mean he you know, and he'd get up on the ropes and he just did a lot of moves that I don't think people really recognize just how difficult that is for an exceptionally large human to do. So deservedly, so he got a big push and really I had a great run.
Speaker 1: Well also, you think about it, the Twin Towers akeem in Big Boss Man really helped build to wrest Many five with the Megapowers Explode. Was out their involvement with Hogan and Savage, there wouldn't have been these two men akeeen in Big Boston were beaten down Savage while like Hoga's backstages, Liz trying to get their help. All this shit is involved with these two wrestlers, so without them doing their job. And also look at a picture of Big Bossman in nineteen eighty nine, then look at a picture of him in nineteen ninety then ninety one. I don't know how he's doing doing it, but he lost a significant amount of weight from just two years from now and being on the road that much. I don't even know how someone can lose that mass because he's busy every day, but he must have been at the gym twenty four hours a day to lose all that weight, Like he looked amazing.
Speaker 2: He used to.
Speaker 1: Slide underneath the bottom rope, come around and pop you in the face, like who else is doing that at two three hundred pounds plus?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and and I think that he saw that his agility and being healthy at least as healthy as you could be with the life that they were living, was helping him. You know, he was moving better, he you know, could do more and saw that.
Speaker 3: But that takes a.
Speaker 4: Tremendous commitment, as you just mentioned that, you know, these guys are on the road. We've said many times, like how many days of the year that they're out there, and you're going to these towns, and the more committed ones were, you know, trying to get some the most sleap they could get up, get to a gym. You gotta eat and you gotta get to an arena and you gotta perform. And and I think that Bubba recognized at the time that this was his moment, this was his time, and he was going to you know, not let any of it slip away, and you know, did what he had to do to you know, take the most out of it. And I think he certainly accomplished that because you know, as you just said, he you know had a great you know, stretching there where he was at the top of the card, he really was and making a lot of money and at the top of his profession.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was one of the best. I'm now we're going to match number twelve. It's Rick rud versus super Fly Jimmy Snooker. Rick Rude wins. This is clearly to get Rick Rud more wins uneath his belt to set it up him ERUs Warrior at SummerSlam nineteen ninety WHI would be the next pay per view.
Speaker 2: So there's really no talking points here.
Speaker 1: It's just more of like Rick Rude was the IC champion, hasn't really been doing that much.
Speaker 2: He wins here.
Speaker 1: Next up, though, is talking about your old podcast partner, Hacksaw Jim Duggan.
Speaker 2: Now we're in Canada.
Speaker 1: Yep, can't now Hacksaw Jduggin comes down the aisle with a giant American flag.
Speaker 2: He's saying, on Dino Bravo, who is from Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the crowd is very confused.
Speaker 4: They don't know.
Speaker 2: You can see other faces like do I boo Hacksaw? Do I cheer?
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 1: There was Hacksaw a very aware the situation of showing up because even when he tries to do a USA chant, they're like, no, we're not doing that. We're not doing that here, like we're not cheering USA.
Speaker 4: Well, but at the time this was he was doing the patriotic gimmick.
Speaker 3: What do you do? You keep that in the trunk?
Speaker 4: He can't know he's gonna come out with just that that the two by four, So you know what, And it is kind of interesting though, you know, I mean, you can see, okay, America, Russia or Iraq or you know, but US Canada, what we're gonna maybe today, yeah, maybe today, but uh no, not back then. So that that's a hard cell and and uh so I think it was, what, you know what one of those things where we uh, let's not get the countries involved here, folks. Let's just you know, have these two guys not like each other today.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was that was a that was an interesting selling like you.
Speaker 1: I remember it was so funny because he stomps on the ground and usually he stomps on the ground.
Speaker 2: He does one of these and everyone's like you. He gets everyone clapping for you, said.
Speaker 4: They went Canada came out with the Steelers. I don't think was gonna sing. Yeah, that wasn't gonna work either, So.
Speaker 1: No, no, And Earthquake is out there as well. Hacksade gem dug and wins the two by four shot to Dino Bravo. So we got baby faces cheating again, which is fine, We're okay with that in today's world. And Earthquake at the end though, takes out, Hacksaw gives him the earthquake splash with his.
Speaker 2: Just smoshes him in the ring.
Speaker 1: And yeah, but I love I love the commentary because Jesse the Ventura is like Gorilla, Grilla, you're okay with this two by four shot, Like you're okay with this?
Speaker 2: And Gorilla goes quiet for a minute and he.
Speaker 1: Goes, well, all the bad things Dino has done in the past.
Speaker 2: This is karma for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jesse, He's like, come on, yeah, And I love that when Jesse would do that, he was you know, he would go, uh yeah, you're all good with all this stuff until you guys are cheating, you know, because he was. He was the heel announcer and and you know, and and there were times you're like, he's got a point, you know, he is like Bobby wouldn't if Bobby did that, he was still wrong. But Jesse would make you think, uh, this bad point. Yeah, I guess you're kind of right there. You're okay with that, you know, him doing that, but he takes the two by four and cheats, and it's still okay, you know, like come on, like say, you know, no, I think he screwed up this time. No, he's got you gotta stay there.
Speaker 3: Nah, it's karma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's karba ca Yeah.
Speaker 4: But j yeah, I really did. I like that Jesse could walk that line of where uh you know, of course he was a heel, but he would make points that you know, you know, bring it into where it was common sense and it's you know, really and you couldn't really disagree with them. I guess, yeah, you do kind of a point there, but uh, all right, let's move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I disagree with you, but uh, let's keep going.
Speaker 1: We've reached the fourteenth match of the evening, and this pay per view is about three hours and forty minutes long. It's the Ultimate Challenge, it's title for a title. It's Hot Cogan versus the Ultimate Warrior. Now title for title underneath this, I believe if Hoe Cogan pinned Ultmate Warrior, he would also be the inner Condinal champion, Right, that's what you would think.
Speaker 3: It was title for title.
Speaker 2: Even Hard Finkel says it's title for title.
Speaker 1: But yet as years would go on, Bruce would say, it was never for the Intercontinental title. And I'm thinking to myself, you say it's never for the Intercontinental title, but why do you keep saying title for title?
Speaker 4: Well? Also, why not?
Speaker 2: Why would you say, is it below Hogan to be champion?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, And we knew how it was going to end, So why not?
Speaker 2: What were you told when you were building this up on?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, I was titled for title. I always thought that.
Speaker 4: That's that's news to me that Bruce would say that it was always just for the heavyweight World Championship, right, that's.
Speaker 2: What That's what he was saying. But yet they always say.
Speaker 4: I liked the angle of that. How awesome would that be? Do you know a double title holder? For as long as it would happened before President Tunney would do something about it, of.
Speaker 3: Course, because he was he was the word.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, hest the man, don't screw a tunny because he'll screw with you.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 1: When Warrior first comes out, the audience is cheering. But when I watched this on the Vault last night on YouTube, you don't really hear a pop.
Speaker 2: You just hear noise.
Speaker 1: When Hulk Hogan comes out, Holy shit, Like I can hear the crowd through Gorilla and through Jesse's microphone. Like there's no way that they thought, oh shit could go wrong because everyone's cheering Hogan.
Speaker 2: Some people are cheering Warrior. What were you thinking going into this?
Speaker 1: Did you think the audience would be split or you thought, I think we're gonna choose one or the other and we're gonna have a problem here.
Speaker 4: No, I wasn't surprised by that because you know, you know, Canada had a very rich history of professional wrestling across the country and Hulk Hogan was you know, it was hul Comania, and we're not that deep into the existence of the WWF the time, and uh so you had a lot of devotees, shall we say, like these these people were you know, they they they loved, you know, decades and decades of professional wrestling, and they appreciated what Hulk Hogan had done for professional wrestling. So I don't think it was that surprising to me. And uh you know, Hulk had been there many times throughout his career, and so you know, the warrior he certainly, I mean, we can't say that people weren't.
Speaker 2: Cheering, like very different, very popular.
Speaker 4: But I think it wasn't. It wasn't just so much that you know, Hulk Hogan's in this Magic Ultimate War.
Speaker 3: It was Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 4: Is here, if that makes sense, that because he represented what professional wrestling had become at that point to that crowd, and they it was more I think they were showing that appreciation. Now that's that's my that was my thinking, and I do remember that Pop. I've said that there's been there were a couple of times in my career where I would be on the arena floor and the roar of a crowd wasn't just it wasn't just this audio pop going through my head. It went through your body. And that was one of those. And there were, you know, a couple other times, but that was one of them. And so it's when you mentioned that, I was saying, yeah, I remember that that.
Speaker 3: That's that's what it was like.
Speaker 4: And I really just felt like these people were just so glad that Hulk Hogan was here in Toronto in their stadium and he represented the reason they were there, that you know, that that had become this gigantic spectacle.
Speaker 1: I love that how you said that, because you know, I think some people confuse Hulk Hogan for his real life persona versus his wrestling persona and not realizing that as a generation of fans who look at Hulk Cogan as their childhood hero. So seeing this moment play out, as you said, sixty five thousands, I'm not gonna disparage anyone, but I'm highly doubting that. I'm like, oh, daddy, pay, let's go see the rockers. Rest of Oran Express, they're saying, Daddy, I want to go see Hull Cogan.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the people here right, whether or not what they thought of the Warrior whatever, but that was that.
Speaker 3: Was a big match.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're getting both of these guys in the ring, so that was kind of the uh, you know the Flair Hogan.
Speaker 3: You always wanted to see that level. It was.
Speaker 4: You know, we always talk about how you know, you got to be able to stand toe to toe.
Speaker 3: This was one of those matches.
Speaker 1: And you know, people always say Warrior were Savage at Wrestling in seven is Warrior's greatest match.
Speaker 2: I disagree.
Speaker 1: I believe this is Warrior's greatest match, possibly even hould Cogan's. Because the crowd is going, as Gridla would say, bananas the entire time. There's no lull, there's no oh, I think I'm gonna go the bathroom really quick and I can come back. People are standing and people always say, oh, it's a standing roomooning. No, No, people are standing the whole time. Even in the crowd, Edge rated a superstar Edge is there as.
Speaker 2: A child watching this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there's these little moments of people here enjoying this moment, and I think it's just one of those forgotten arts where you realize, look at the fun people are having. Stop looking for the negative, stop looking for the problems, enjoy the moment, because Warrior I had the I have the brochure right here. The Warrior versus Hogan moment is one of those Rock versus Austin moments where you're never gonna get this again. And this is something you should appreciate and love and I think it's the best match. So for you, you told me, were you on the floor for this match?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, when I didn't have to do interviews, I would love to. I would just go outside the curtain. I always like to feel it. And because that was a whole different experience. Yeah, and and uh, this was this was right up there. And I think as you said, you know this is you thought this was one of the Warrior's greatest matches. I think Jim would would agree with you that despite his you know, it was business, it was just me doing my job. Uh, I think that he felt this was definitely one of his one of his greatest matches. And I told you about that interview where he says that you know that day, everything worked. And I think for a professional athlete, someone who's experienced that or even whatever level you're at, but you have those days where you know, I guess you'd call it in the zone. You're just there and everything you do works. And I think this was one of those days where not only for Jim Helwig, but for also for Terry Belea that day that everything just just worked the way the match worked out. And and uh so I think that you know, Warrior would agree with you, and I'm sure that you know hul Cogan felt the same way.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: The big, the big tell on this is how the crowd reacts to it. And uh, you know, being on that floor and and uh seeing that where they were reacting to everything everything for a moment, for the moment it started from the their entrances to the to.
Speaker 3: When it was over, it all works.
Speaker 4: And so you know, for me it is it's one of the one of the best WrestleMania matches ever.
Speaker 3: And and and.
Speaker 4: As always when I tell you it's always, it's not always it's it's of course the wrestling is. But I take it all in. Yeah, and with the audience and where these two are and uh, you know that's that's that's what makes it. Uh and and they and and that day it had it.
Speaker 1: All and Warrior wins, the match comes championed, and he has both championships, the great image of him holding them both up and his Warrior on the cart walking going away. But the thing is people harp on these pieces to this match. One is Warrior before this as a promo weeks before this, where he's gonna steal Hate Cogan's airplane and he's gonna drive it into a mountain, killing the pilots, the sacrifices for the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Weird shit, But yet people.
Speaker 4: Always were, They always were weird.
Speaker 1: He said he was going to steal his plane and then fly into a mountain and the pilot has made the sacrifice for the Warrior to become champion. Like, I'm sorry, Yes there are crazy promos, but I don't remember him ever saying he was gonna steal someone's airplane and throw it into a mountain.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's me, that's me.
Speaker 1: But yet in this how do you think Hate Coogan was feeling going into this, Because, as Brett HoTT would say in his book That Warrior, Hogan went up to Brett and was like, yeah, well I lost, but you know they're gonna call me back because they're gonna need me, which you know eventually they did.
Speaker 2: And we've talked about it multiple times.
Speaker 1: Or Hogan always has this plan in the back of his head where like, well, if I leave them and business goes down, they'll always call me back because they'll think it's the reason the BIS went down because I left.
Speaker 2: And it's a great it's a great plan to stay on top forever. I get it. But how do you think Hogan was feeling about going into this event losing.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it was all part of the grand plan that uh, you know, you have these these storylines that go on, they can't go on forever. Hulka Mania couldn't just go on forever. At some point you need some drama. You need to as I always kind of uh, I always kind of called either behind the music analogy remember that show, behind that show, right, And it was always you know, starting out struggling, great fame, oh they screw up, crashing, and then redemption, a beginning, middle end. You've got to have a story. It can't always be on the trajectory here. It can't always have this you know, ascension. And so I think that that Hulk was looking at it that way that you know, how can I miss you if you don't go away and and so and the best of both worlds, because I think deep down the Halkster knew they're gonna they're gonna need me.
Speaker 3: He could tell.
Speaker 4: He'd been in this business long enough he could he knew that that the warrior, you know, Jim, was not gonna be able to handle this. He couldn't sustain it. He didn't have there weren't the horses behind the warriors. It just wasn't Hulkamania had all of this. And so I think deep down he had that confidence that yeah, this is it's this ain't over, and it's gonna give me a nice break here and and they need to see what it's like not having me here. So I think that he was fine, fine with it, and uh uh you know, did what he had to do, sold it, put him over and uh and knew that.
Speaker 3: I'll be back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll call me, They'll they'll call me again.
Speaker 1: And they did, and he came back, and then he got taken up by earthquake and then the double main event of Summer Slam nineteen ninety occurred. Grilman soon though on commentary, suggests that Hulk Hogan is no longer just a wrestler.
Speaker 2: He's immortal.
Speaker 1: That's where the immortal Hulk Cogan line comes into play, because Warrior wins the championship, according to again the rumors and the lore that Hogan was not supposed to do this. He grabs the world championship, he's the one who hands it to Warrior, gets on the little golf cart ring goes. He's looking sad, like he's crying and it's over and it's never gonna be better. But the camera stays on Hogan instead of focusing on Warrior more. And that's when Gorilla drops that line about immortality and Hult Cogan, and so Hogan suggests that he planted the seed of Well, now you're focusing on me, Like, what's next for Hogan?
Speaker 2: Where's Hogan going? Why is he so sad versus man? Look at Warrior, he's a champion, he's so strong. We can't wait to see what he does next.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of you can pick and choose what you want from that sun since But do you think Hogan's so smart? He realizes, like I look sad, people ben about me, not about him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'd made a career out of reading audiences and the whole psychology behind it and as they say, Hogan must pose and any posts and yeah in his own way, that's yeah, brilliant.
Speaker 1: It was good and I again, Wrestling is six is one of my favorite events because again it's almost goes four hours long, and usually these events didn't do that like this podcast, no two hours almost.
Speaker 2: We've talked about it all folks.
Speaker 1: We talked about it Steve Allen and poopy jokes to Warry becoming champion to Sweet Sapphi or wrestling in a ring which you shouldn't have probably have been but in reality Mooney said, that's one of your favorites.
Speaker 2: And before we wrap this up, uh.
Speaker 4: This may be one of my favorite podcasts. So folks, don't you miss it. You got to wait a minute.
Speaker 3: The end.
Speaker 2: This is this is the end.
Speaker 1: Tell guys, guys, you gotta watch you, guys gotta watch this. I really enjoy this wrestling and what it's called.
Speaker 2: It's called wrestling. Marry Mary you okay, I'm doing great. I got both tell.
Speaker 4: It's a eyebrowser up, touch on the hairline there.
Speaker 1: But final thoughts on this paper be before I wrap this up after thirty four hour podcast.
Speaker 3: Absolutely one one of my faves.
Speaker 4: And as we've mentioned over the last whatever, it's been that it was for a number of reasons, and and Steve, you know, to me, it's I always take it, you know. I look at it as this grand picture and and all the stuff that was involved in this, and uh, you know, better or worse, I mean, it was. It was a lot of entertainment to take in. So uh this this remains right up there on the top of my list. And so I'm glad we had a chance to really go through the whole thing. I know we've done it in parts before, but to really talk about the whole event was awesome.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Now I'm gonna after we end this, I'm gonna go ask Alexa to play me a hunk a hunk of hunk a love three honkers yes.
Speaker 4: With Valiant skip that one, just use the one with you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm gonna I'm just gonna sing it myself because I don't want to hear Valentine trying to sing.
Speaker 2: But thank you everyone for tuning in to us.
Speaker 1: How about resting in the six here in the Golden in a podcast with Sean Mooney, I'm see fall he Shan Mooney, who have a great day and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: It's the Golden Age, I'll tell me, tell you.
Speaker 4: Not to this.
Speaker 2: I so fancy sat into Refield history, down to the gold and tell me to Bie