Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Adventures in Dutnet. I'm Sean Klaper. You're hosted with me today. Your two co hosts Wylou Hey, why good? The snow is finally melting so I can almost see my grass, all right? Or are the co hosts Caleb Wells, Hey, Caleb.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, how's it going good? Good? Yeah, we got down into the thirties today, like thirty three, I think, right right above freezing with with rain, which is always beautiful. But I guess that's what you get in Normans, right, you're not going to all that often.
Speaker 1: Has it ever snowed there while you live there?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, that's okay, once or twice, but it doesn't stick, right, it's just yeah, yeah, you see it coming down, but yeah, it's it is rare. But if you go to the North Shore, it's right. We're in the Bowl of New Orleans and you have light contra trains to the north of US in the North Shores suburbs. Yeah, they get snow every three or four years or so. It's just far enough north, I guess. But yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, all right, so you're you're doing a double duty today, Caleb, So you're You're right, you're also a guest. I think, well, you know last a couple of times, so you're probably good at it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think last time you guys said I had some work to do and you weren't sure if you were invite me back. Well, I figured, right why I did the last episode on the whole power platform, so I figured I could I could take a stab at some Blazer stuff, which right there, there always seems to be something new in Blazer Land because it just keeps picking up steaming momentum and new features and functionality and ways of using it. And so today I actually thought we could talk a little bit about Blazer and job script interrupt, right, and one of the big go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all these states that we really haven't covered that. You know, we've covered the basics and new features and things like that and previous shows, but we really haven't gone into the interrupt part of it and maybe working with other frameworks and things like that. So, yeah, it sounds interesting. Where should we start.
Speaker 2: So I think probably one of the reasons why we haven't talked about job scripin or op and maybe it doesn't get as much fanfarees R at the whole point of Blazers and I have to do JavaScript right, or at least that that was one of its big selling points.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so we should start off with when should you use interrupt.
Speaker 2: Well, you're going to have to use it in certain instances. So, right, the web assembly standard doesn't currently have full access to the DOM and so that means you're going to have limitations when it comes around things like geolocation or local storage that kind of stuff, right, And so what you end up have to do is you have to go through jobscript through those What I think most people don't realize is that in order for your page to load and for the Blazer to get the web assembly and the WASM and all that up and running, it actually talks through JavaScript to talk to the don to get all this stuff set up in the UI updated. So you use the jobscript, whether you realize it or not. Down the road, as they evolve web assembly, which they're planning on doing and giving it more access and bringing in a line with jobscript, some of this will go away, but there are instances where where it's needed and you're going to have some form of jobscript layer to get some of this functionality. So the next thing when it comes to this stuff is Blazer has interface for a GAS runtime which allows you to invoke functions, make asynchronous calls back and forth. It allows you to send and retrieve data, right, which which is doing behind the scenesy way. But you're going to need for this functionality, and that led us to try a proof of concept which has been done before, and that is taking web components and getting those to work inside of Blazer. And when I say web components actually mean the HTML definition which I can actually read it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's a set of features that provide a standard component model for the web, allowing for encapsulation and interoperability of individual HTML elements. And so the idea is you end up creating your own custom tags, very similar to how you do it at Angular or React or view, and you inject those into the page the same way that Blazer does. Kind of the component model a setup, right.
Speaker 3: So is it basically The advantage of that is that it is framed with Yes it is. It's like you know, yeah, yeah, so that's how you can angle it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's right. It's basically HTML and jobscript and if necessary, if you want it, you can bundle CSS in there too, and it's portable. All the current browsers will recognize this content as long as you provide it the actual files to load that content, and it'll work out of the box in any application pretty much. It's actually an interesting side note is that Angular io their website where they do all their documentation and workflows, the majority of that is Angular Web components. And the reason being is you can manage this website and you can be a doc writer or do tutorials and not have to know necessarily how to build your own Angular app or all the intricacies that go into a web component. You just know the inputs and outputs and you can build stuff that way. And Angular calls this Angular elements. What it ends up being is a web component. So what we did was we already have several Angular applications running because we have a couple of teams inside the company. We have a couple of teams that are contract and the contract teams have been doing mostly Angular stuff. And so and I think I've told you guys, we've got like between services and apps, we've got like one hundred it's a ridiculous number. They're wanting to consolidate that down and when I was hired, we decided that we wanted to move forward using Blazer right because the majority of our internal team is dot Net Framework or dot Net and c sharp focus, and Blazer gives us that ability to be able to learn its version of Razor and then be able to use our Sea sharp knowledge and kind of right go to town. But we had to figure out a bridge between Angular and Blazer and or they wanted a bridge. Right. For instance, if we have this Angular application that has a bunch of components and we want to be able to reuse those until we can rebuild them in Laser, how are we going to do that? And we actually got a working model which is which is really interesting because you end up doing a deep dive into a job inter ops inside of Blazer. And so what you do is you have your your normal Angular components. They're doing their their stuff inputs, outputs, the ventomitters, and there are certain steps you have to take inside of Angular to be able to export these, but you can export them as custom components web components, and then you reference the javascripts, the polypills and the Angular code as well as your elements and at the bottom of your index and then you can reference those tags in any of your Blazer components, right, And they can be as simple as an Angular component that takes an input, and when when the website loads, the Angler component is themeless. Right. You have an Angular input and you pass in a variable like your name into that the property on that tag, and when the the browser loads up, the angler is transparent. You really can't tell just by looking at it what's Angular and what's not. And it's going to show you your name that came from Blazer into the Angular component, right, and that's I guess, yeah, it's a it's a web component at that point, yes, yep, yeah, and that's all finally good, right, But that's that's kind of got limited use, right. Most of your Angular components are going to be more complex and so right, we had to actually do some tests where we're passing in like Jason data, right, or you get a call you call an API from Blazer, and you need to be able to pass those objects into this web component. And it's really interesting how how they've done this, because what you end up doing is you have your own custom JavaScript where you can write, you can build your own functions that hang off the dom and if you need to talk back and forth, you not only pass in this object this data, but you pass in a dot net reference and it's actually called dot net reference, and it's a reference to this component or the contents of that Blazer component. And so if you say you have a chart widget, right, that's an Angular and you like the way it looks and likes the functionality, but there's functionality built into it. Right, you click events or filtering or whatever, right, you can actually have that loaded on the screen, and when you do button events, it's going to admit those events. You're going to have an event listener. It's just going to trigger those events and actually return the data to Blazer through that dot net reference. And the Blazer can manipulate code outside of the web component to do whatever you want to do. So there's there's a lot of power that's built into it. One thing that we're going to have to figure out as we go, right, is our existing Angular components. They're not dumb components, right. They typically have a good deal of functionality, and they may be calling their own Angular services right using RxJS or whatever. And we're going to have to look at how how we're going to manage that because the Angular services we're not going to bring over, right, They're not going to be compiled into the component. And there's no way, at least that I found this point to be able to manage them separately. So we're gonna end up having to do those API calls in that state management in Blazer or in c sharp classes versus doing them in Angular services.
Speaker 3: What about the payload, Like, is each Angular element that you can added to a webpone have basically the entire Angular framework on that you could?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't, I would advise against it. Yes, yeah, Payler is something you have to factor in. And that's actually where when you build out the Angular elements, right, and you get your disk folder, you can determine how the job script is broken up. And what I've done is I have two jobscript files that are strictly Angular based, right, the polypills that it needs for certain browsers, and then the Angular code which is just main gs between the two of those, right, it's you know, maybe a little over a meg. And then I have a separate jobscript file that actually houses all of the web components. And of course that file can get fairly large. Depending on how many you have or you're pulling in and there's really no tree shaking for that. But that job script can then reference the separate polyphyl and main and not have that load every single time. Now, freach Blazer component, you go into that job script, those web components script had to be initialized. But in my testing it's really there's really no performance difference between it and Blazer. Of course we haven't done you know, extreme edge cases or anything, but it performs well at this point.
Speaker 1: So it's really the main use of it is just for bringing over components that you don't have in Blazer. Could it be you know, like third party components that they read it wrote it for some for some jobscript framework, like maybe some Bootstrap components or things like that, and you can interrupt with those with Blazer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, if you if you needed to, you definitely could. Like like I said earlier, right, Blazer is growing elites and bounds and the dishes they're adding to it in the features, so there there are a ton of components that will do anything you could do or almost anything you can do in an Angular or React, boot Strap or whatnot. But I do see this as a is for people who have a lot of SPA frameworks, a lot of job script apps and they want to transition. This is kind of a bridge, or it could be the One of the interesting things about doing that SITS is some of the additions they've added a Blazer is you can now actually export Blazer components as web components and then we use them in Angular or React apps if you want to, or any app. Right, so it goes both ways, but I see right, they're trying to make it as easy a transition as possible if you want to transition and you and the majority of your developer knowledge is in c sharp. One of the other interesting things that we ran across, at least I find the interesting, but I'm also a designer UI guy, is you can have an Angular app that, for instance, say is using material design right in the material INPM packages and all that stuff, and you can actually change the styling in those components to use Bootstrap styling, but never install Bootstrap and Angular. And when you create the web components, you have Bootstrap running a Blazer and you add that Angular component the web component, it's going to pick up the Bootstrap CSS because it has the right styles. Install itself appropriately for Bootstrap, without Bootstrap ever being inside of the Angler application, and vice versa. You can not have material inside a Blazer at all, right, because especially with material for Angular, you can get beyond just the CSS, right, they have their own web components that have job script and all that extra stuff and on where when you click on an input, the title or the field goes up above the input. All that functionality. You can get that in Blazer through Angular without ever having to install any material stuff inside of Blazer application, which is is an interesting workaround. I guess if you again, if you're trying to transition, you're trying to match up styles between two disparate apps.
Speaker 3: So do you see the use case of this as more like like like what you're doing basically converting legacy apps into run on like new Blazer apps, or do you kind of foresee maybe like maybe you have two teams or one one team working on a Blazer and then one team developing like new Anglar like Angler components and all that stuff into and tnvert into web components in that second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think both are perfectly valid use cases because right in a lot of cases, you may have a React app that you have new intention of converting the Blazer, Right, but then you have a whole separate team that's creating a new app and they're like, hey, we want to do this in Blazer, but we want to be able to use some of our existing components and manage the look and feel. Right, you could cherry pick and I'm not sure how we are actually builds their web component, sure if they have that functionality, But an angular you can cherry pick the components you want impullment a Blazer and vice versa. Right, if you end up building this awesome grid and Blazer with all the functional that you want, filtering, sorting, whatever, and you want to be able to reuse it, you can reuse it inside a reactor angular app. I do see this more as it's your code, use it the way you want to use it kind of thing, right, And so the I guess the possibilities really are end list just depends on how your like you said, how your teams are set up, what's your area of expertise, and where what your roadmap roadmap is where you're looking to go. And there's a few other things in Blazer and Dot and at six that I think people are going to begin to use more and more become more common as people get used to all the additions, because honestly, there's a ton of changes from five that that exists. I mean, if you're if you're migrating, it's pretty straightforward. But the but the functionality that you can do and in how you can segment out your jovascript has changed, Right, you can isolate jobscript to a specific Blazer component. You can also now with that six initialize some job script before the Blazer app is even loaded, and Blazer knows how to take that job script that content and initialize it properly so you don't have to wait to get access to the dom. So there's all kinds of cool stuff. I appreciate the effort they put in to making Blazer work with job script as well as they have, so I.
Speaker 3: Think that's the only way for it to succeed, to be honest, Like Lazowski's been around for so long, there's that such a big ecosystem of developers and andsting components and all that stuff, you really can't get away with having a front way that doesn't interrupt with it. But it's seed, so it's actually really good to see it. This is happening. You see what you're doing? Is it like it sounds like it's pretty totton edge like Is this like based on like some sort of Microsoft kind of pattern that they're published or have you kind of dislike experimented and just done your own thing?
Speaker 2: And so it's I don't think it's something they've officially published. But like I said, I'm not the first one that came up with this. There's actually Dan Roth actually has a GitHub rebolt out there that he dubbed a blangular, which is blazer and Angular. It's three years old. It's it's it's fairly ancient when it comes to development, but but it gives you the idea of how you get things to work. And I also found I found a resource on think texture where they did something similar. I mean, I can add these links to the show notes for those who are interested, but right so, so it was one of the things I took a couple of odds and ends pieces here and there, saw how they did it, and was able to build on it to kind of meet our initial needs. I'm sure that's going to grow, right as we figure out the Angular service stuff in our XJS but it's been it's been an interesting project. It's been a lot of fun. And I actually have a proof of concept that I need to get up on GitHub. I just haven't done it yet because I got to clean it up and you know, remove all the company related stuff.
Speaker 1: So so, what kind of lessons have you learned doing this? You know, are the things that you can't do or things you have to watch out for.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's I guess technically there are very well there. I was gonna say, there's very few limitations when it comes to this, but it's it's more of being smart about how you use it right. I mean, you could jam five angular components into one page and me passing all this data and stuff in and maybe the performance tanks because there's just too much going on and there's just too much talking back and forth. I also, I would recommend if you're doing this right and you had you had, one thing you have to do with this is you're gonna have to write your own custom job script to allow Blazer and your web components to talk. So you're gonna have to know jobscript if you if you really want to get into this, and a suggestion there is right don't. Don't hang a bunch of functions right off the dom. Right, don't use global variables, don't. I mean, all this is common jobscript stuff. How you keep things clean and perform it. Right, create a create your own module hanging off the dom and put all your functions inside of that. And right, you're gonna have to keep in mind the not so much as the security implications, but right, job Script and Blazer right have their own access to the dom, to the browsers. And so you know, you might come across an issue where you know there's a mismatch there and you're not getting the results or the look and fill you won't and and if that happens, then yeah, you're gonna have some interesting deep and digging into your angular app and making sure that there's no issues there, and then how Blazer interrupts with that. I do think maybe this is a little a little bit of the wild wild West. You know, it's you're kind of you're rolling your own But I do see the possibilities and the functionality that you can get out of this, especially between multiple teams, to be worth the investment.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you probably don't want to put your angular elements into every row of a grid that's got a hundred thousand elements or something like that in there. So that's agree always something not smart to do.
Speaker 2: Right, So I think again, like you just said, a lot of it comes down to common sense and knowing your limitations, because right the whole point is getting a quality application out to your clients or your users that has good performance with as little development time on you as is reasonable. And again, I long term, I wouldn't take an Angular app, export all these components Angular elements and then plug them into their own separate Blazer components and just call them the day and you know, and hey, here's here's your new app. Here, you've got Blazer running, but it's really still just Angular. I would take that next step and then convert those web components to actual sea sharp Blazer components. But for us, I think it's going to be a good bridge going forward. And it's interesting because our contract teams actually did a demo last week or two weeks ago going over this proof of concept, and even though most of them are very familiar with Angular, they also have dot net c sharp background and seven of them were like, man, I've been I've been looking forward to this, like when do we get started? So it's going to be good and I'll keep out updated on the on the status. We'll see, we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 3: And it sounds be exciting, sounds like it's really cutting edge.
Speaker 2: It's fun stuff, right this. I guess this is one of the perks of my job is I get to go off on these adventures and see what actually what actually works. And there were enough resources out there to get me started that actually you know worked well. For instance, Dan's which Sean added to the show notes, so you guys will have it to get it to where we could actually use it in a production environment and be comfortable with it.
Speaker 1: All right, cool? Well, yeah, definitely keep us updated. You know, we will only see you like every week. So sounds good. Yeah, you guys ready for picks? Sure, I just got to figure out what the heck my pick is preparedness, preparedness, So I'll go first. I guess my pick is going to be the new merger of Microsoft and Acting, So it's going to be interesting to see, you know, how that goes. You know, I'm a big Blizzard fan, like Diablo and things like that, so be interested to see what happens with with those projects and where Microsoft takes it. But it's nice to see Microsoft kind of gun in there first with the game stuff.
Speaker 2: Now, well, you know, they've.
Speaker 3: Fifty billion dollars are on so probably the worth that much.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think they probably overpaid, but they can afford to do that, right, And they they bought Bethesda the year before or the beginning of last year, so either there's there's a bunch of questions. Now are they going to add Border Warcraft to the Xbox Game Pass and are they going to a port it to to console and all kinds of stuff? So time will tell, right, But yeah, I think it's cool. All right, Why would you pick?
Speaker 3: So? This week? My pick is actually the Amazon fire Stick, which I kind of just picked up because it was like really cheap on my Amazon Prime thing. And it's like, I don't know, I even know why I bought it because I've already got but it's just like so much the Android one, Like it's so smoother and yeah, so I think my Android one was actually pretty old and it's a little bit like flaky or something like that. But yeah, I'm really enjoying the being I've never actually been the Amazon kind of ecosystem kind of thing. And yes, it feels like the look and feel of it's a lot more mature than the Android one.
Speaker 1: So yeah, all right, kil we came up with a pickh this is actually a food a foody pick and it may be a Southern foody pick.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys have ever had French onion dip, like with potato chips, right, My family were big snackers and so right, we like potato chips or free doos in French onion dip rain, it's it's like sour cream, but it's a it's a dip that's got it some taste and not our brands are equal, right, they're not all the same. And the best French onion dip I've ever had, and sometimes it could be hard to find. It's called hell of a good dip. So my pick is hell of a good dip. So if you haven't tried it, you should try it. If you can get it in Australia, why let me know. Okay, does good? Does it go good with veggmine? I don't know about vegamin but you know, hey, if you want to use salary instead of chips, if you want to try to be a little healthy. Salary works too.
Speaker 1: Very cool, all right, keleb. If you people have questions and they want to ask you questions, like I said, yeah, ask your questions about questions.
Speaker 2: I I think I have a Twitter account out there somewhere. It's Caleb Wells Codes, and you know, if you can get on GitHub and ping me on one of my repos. I'm also on LinkedIn. I think all my stuff gets thrown into bombs of the show notes, but I'm all over the place. So yeah, Hey, if you have any questions and I can, I can help. I would love to chat.
Speaker 1: If our listeners have feedback for the show, they can reach out and get in touch with me. I am on Twitter, I am at dot net superhero. Uh all right, thanks Caleb, Thanks?
Speaker 2: Why yeah?
Speaker 1: That show? All right. We'll catch everybody else in the next episode of Ventures in dot Net. Bye all