Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the buck Eye Weekly Podcast. I'm Tony Gerdaman here as always with Tom or Tom. How's it going?
Speaker 2: But power pause wasn't very long? Right off the top, the words are coming flying out. I'm sure everyone already knows what that means. It is a breaking news episode of the Buckeye Weekly Podcast. And not just a breaking news episode, Tony, it is a five star breaking news episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not just fire star. The number one quarterback in the twenty twenty eight class, Christopher Vargas has announced his commitment to Ohio State. Six four sixty five hundred and ninety five pounds long and lean right now, but we'll obviously bulk up for the buck Eyes. But commits to Ohio State over schools like Oregon and Alabama and and all of those others. The rare Massachusetts top prospect from Saint John's Prepp and Danvers Massachusetts. Perhaps the Ryan Day connection to Don Brown has finally paid off in a positive way for the Buckeyes. But we saw Christopher Vargas at the Ohio State camp at seven on seven and he surely looked the part there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, he just you know, big, strong, I mean tall, he has the you know, the big frame that you're looking for out of a quarterback, but strong arm, very accurate.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you're watching and there's fifteen quarterbacks there, and sometimes you can you can kind of look and go which one is the one who's and you know, who's supposed to be the really good one? And this one was like, yep, I see him, got a no problem. I see which one I'm supposed to shooting pictures of yep, and just very very just everything looks the way it's supposed to look. And I think with quarterbacks, I'm sure everyone's immediate reaction is yes, but can he run? And I think, you know, we didn't see him. You know that he wasn't out there running the option or anything like that, but looked mobile enough. I think I think that's kind of where I would fall with him, where he's not going to be a run first quarterback by any means. I don't know that they would even categorize him as like a real dual threat kind of quarterback, but I think he's probably gonna be plenty mobile enough for what they would need from him.
Speaker 1: Certainly, there's no concern as there may have been with other quarterbacks where it's like, well, you don't want a statue, you don't want somebody that's just purely a drop back guy and has to get rid of it because he can he can move around the pocket as needed, and then he can even get loose as well. And I don't think any lack of mobility is a concern because there is none. And it's like like you said, he's past first, past second, and then if I need to, it's just playing where he has. He hasn't really needed to playing where he will eventually he's going to have to at some point, and I don't think that's really a concern for the buck eyes. And you know he was he's just smooth, smooth quarterback with an easy arm and that of course these are seven on seven judgments when we got to see him live, but you're right, like he's he stands out. And then what also stood out is so you're there on the first day for seven on seven. Then he came back the next day for one of the one day camp things and he he maybe worked out for about thirty minutes and then just hung out with Ohio State players with future teammates at that point, with you like Jet Harrison. I think maybe Jimmy Brown. Him and Jimor Brown we're on the same seven on seventeen, so they've got a connection. And it just looked like he was very, very comfortable at that time and clearly boom, hey look he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is one of those things where you just kind of have to just check the boxes at that point, because if you're a top quarterback, you look at going to play or Ryan Day, where he has put plenty of quarterbacks in the first round of the NFL Draft. Okay, check that box for Ohio State, where you are coming in and you know you are you know, the standard is win the Big Ten, win the national Championship. You know you know you're going to be playing in the college football Playoff most if not every year. So okay, you want to compete at the high level. Yeah, sure, check that box. Comfort looking comfortable there, looking like you're enjoying your time there. Yeah, that was certainly a box week sort of checked off at that point. The intriguing part of this is he's coming in and you've had guys come in and it's like, well, you're coming in and you're the third straight five star quarterback that Ohio State is brought in. That's not really where he's coming in right now, where you've got. Twenty twenty five, they brought in Tavian Saint Clair. Twenty twenty six, they brought in Luke Fayhee, and Tavan Saint Clair was a five star. Luke Fayhee I think it was a three star. I think in the final rankings. Twenty twenty seven, they bring in Brady Edmunds, and we just did a show on Brady Edmonds, and Brady Edmonds was another guy who looked really good at those seven on seven camps over the summer, four star prospect, but there's not someone ahead of him where, you know, a couple of years ago, we talked about guys coming in twenty twenty six, guys coming in and seeing Tavian Saint Clair and then committing elsewhere relatively soon after that, and it was like, yeah, okay, that guy looks like he's going to be starting at Ohio State. I don't know that there's anyone that jumps out at you as like that's someone who's going to be like scaring someone else away. And that's sort of unusual for Ohio State to not have, you know, to not have that guy who's like, well, obviously, you know, Julian Sane comes in and Julian saying very early, kind of look, Julian saying, why, yep, that guy's gonna be starting get Ohio State very soon. So Vargas has an opportunity to come in and he's got more than a year to sort of help lead this twenty twenty eight class, and you know, by the time he's on campus twenty twenty eight, you figure he's not a true freshman starter. But twenty twenty nine, I think, is that the year they go to Alabama twenty twenty nine something like that. I know they've got those those trips coming up, so could have he could be starting, you know, at some point in some pretty consequential interconference games which will or will not determine which conference is the best conference in the history of the world, depending on who wins.
Speaker 1: If he is the starting quarterback in twenty twenty nine, which would mean David Saint Clair leaves a year early, which you would expect a five star quarterback to do. Twenty twenty nine non conference schedule Navy, so he doesn't have to really worry about that. Charlotte not so much Youngstown State. Nice easy way to ease things in. That's the one year where there is no good Marquis, No Marquis Power four. But they could say, but we've got Navy, and it's like, well, you're gonna speak against the midshipman, you're gonna speak against our troops. No, you can go ahead and get away with that one. But you're also talking about he's the part of the twenty twenty eight class, and why wouldn't you want to go play for Ryan Day? Also, why wouldn't you want to throw the ball to Jet Harrison, five star wide receiver, the number one overall player in the Rivals rankings.
Speaker 2: He's the.
Speaker 1: Arguably the number one receiver by by all accounts. Elijah Newman Hall one of the top five running backs in the nation, top top one hundred player. And that's just those are your first three offensive commits in the twenty twenty eight class. They join Jimy or Wise, five star defensive lineman from Trotwood Madison, and boy, not a bad start, tom As you say, if these trends continue with that twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Class, Yeah, not bad at all, because you got Yeah, Jet, I'm looking at the two four to seven composite right now, Jet Harrison number four overall player, Christopher Vargus number six overall player, and there are only currently two of the top six players in the nation, two of the top eight players in the nation committed, and they're both committed to Ohio State. So very early, but you know, I think probably Ohio State has probably pushed off the doom of the program for at least one more year. That's that's probably probably reasonably safe at this point. But it's yeah, everyone has been a little jittery about Ohio State recruiting at various times over the last couple of cycles, and it always kind of keeps working out. You know, they have ended up with pretty good classes and then I mean twenty twenty seven class that the lines have been are just incredible. Twenty twenty eight feels like, okay, well there might be a little strategy going on here, because twenty twenty seven you've got the lines, which typically take about a year longer to develop. Twenty eight, boy, the skill position is looking pretty darn good in twenty twenty eight, So you know, lookout, Charlotte and Youngstown State. The twenty twenty on the Ohio State Buckeyes might not be bad well.
Speaker 1: And this is also now an opportunity for Christopher Vargas to become one of your lead recruiters. And they've already got as I said, Jet Harrison committed at receiver Braylan Clark, who has Rivals number six overall player wide receiver from Charlotte, heavily favoring Ohio State at this point. And then you also have Lorenza McMullen from Cincinnati Princeton, another five star wide receiver who is an in state guy. And it seems like the twenty twenty eight classes where they're going to spend some more money on receiver and they spend it on the lines. In twenty twenty seven, twenty twenty eight, we'll see maybe you go to the outside to the skill guys, if you will. But as we say every year when it's very very early, boy, this could be a really really good recruiting class, and sometimes it just turns into a really good recruiting class. And really that's the most disappointing thing for Ohio State fans. But the good news here, you've got your five star quarterback, you've got the Ohio States number one target at quarterback and anytime you can do that, whether it's you know this early or not, you'll go ahead and take it. And really this is what is this two months earlier or is it fourteen months earlier than Tavi in Saint Clair when he was when he did it, because I'm getting my years a little little congealed here, but.
Speaker 2: The same time about this same time out because I think he committed.
Speaker 1: Before his he was he was a june camp commit, yes, but anyway, he's locked in a lot. He's committed now and now can start to build be part of the building of the class. So we'll see how things go from from there. If you're watching going to the thumbsup, we'd appreciate that, subscribe to the channel, and we are talking about this and much much more over at Buckeye Insiders dot com. Clearly great time to become a member for the price of a lousy chain store pizza and for the price of a coffee and a half a month at this point, come over and see us. We would love to talk to you there, So thank you all for tuning in and we will talk to you all right.
Speaker 2: This time. What else? Let it through away, don't no one tell me I wish you'd never met nothing mere where. If you can tell me that's the boy's all right, we could steal currently tonight