Speaker 1: You're listening to kf I AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app k f I.
Speaker 2: At kost HD two Los Angeles and Orange County.
Speaker 3: And you.
Speaker 2: Amy, Okay, this.
Speaker 1: Is your wake up call for Friday, August second. It's five o'clock straight up. Good morning. I'm Amy King. What a great latest start today. It's going to be a great day. We got some We got great news yesterday with not hostages, but the prisoners being released from Russia. They're now back on US soil. And of course Team USA does not disappoint some oan files. Are you kidding me? That was amazing. We're gonna be talking more about that with nez De la Kata in just a little bit. And you know what, yesterday I went and was running some errands and I walked out of my house and I was like, either somebody spit on me or it's raining. I thought it was more likely that somebody spit on me because we haven't seen rain for a while. But it was actually raining and it lasted for like a minute, but it was really nice. We might get some thunderstorms for inland areas this afternoon, and the Okay, then I have to tell you this one thing and then we'll get going. Yurriget flies in your house every once in a.
Speaker 2: While, right, yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I had some flies in the house earlier this week. It was like one or two, and I was like, oh god, I just they just they're so gross. And then yesterday there were like more than ten, and they were all buzzing around and I was just like, what is going on? Oh my god, and I'm freaking out. So I got out the fly swater like Amityville horror, and then I just went on a murderous rampage and killed them all. Took a while.
Speaker 2: Did you find out why? No, something dead.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think so. I don't know what it was. But I don't know. Maybe I need to do a deep clean or something like that. Maybe something's wrong. We did invest in an electric fly swatter just it's really fun. Oh it's fun. You should the one that looks like a tennis racket looks like a tennis racket and it zaps. Oh it's awesome. Okay, I might have to invest in one of those. It's normally not a problem. It kind of freaked me out. Anyway, Here's what's ahead on wake up call this Friday morning. A plane with freed American prisoners Evan Gerskevich, Paul Waylan, and a'll Sue Kermasheva has arrived at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland. At touchdown last night, President Biden and Vice President Harris greeted them as they got off the plane. Red flag warnings for high fire danger remain in effect until eight tonight for thunderstorms over the mountains and deserts of La Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties and the Santa Clarita Valley. The warning includes coastal areas. Soo so we might get some more rain. Simone Biles commanding floor routine, secured the gold in the women's all around individual competition at the Paris Olympics. It was spectacular. Brazil took silver and biles teammate Sunny Lee took the bronze. This is the sixth straight Olympics that Team USA has won gold in the women's gymnastics individual all around competition. Sunny Lee won gold in Tokyo in twenty twenty one. Simone Biles took the gold in the twenty sixteen Rio Games at six oh five its handle on the news. The bomb that took out a Hamas leader in Tehran this week had been planted months before the explosion. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom and La City Council committee has approved further restrictions on homeless RV camps.
Speaker 4: The Transportation Committee is voted to ban overnight RV parking in four more parts of the city, in addition to ensuring RV's parked and peak traffic lanes are towed, something that city stopped doing during the pandemic. Councilman Tracy Park says the camps are dangerous and disgusting, sidewalks.
Speaker 5: And storm dreams serving as de facto RV septic tanks, children having to walk around dangerous vehicles just to get to school.
Speaker 4: The committee also voted to explore a city wide policy on prohibiting r V camps in residential and commercial corridors in downtown La.
Speaker 2: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: More than twenty five hundred video game performers in Hollywood are on strike, protesting major gaming companies over the use of AI SAG after negotiating member Lindsay Russo says AI could never replace the artistry gaming performers bring to video games, and to.
Speaker 5: Have someone stand there and tell you that what you're doing is not performance and shouldn't be covered is unacceptable to us, and they just don't seem to agree. So that's where we have our impasse.
Speaker 1: More than three hundred performers picketed outside Warner Brothers studios in Burbank yesterday, demanding a fair contract that also includes higher pay. The union says it has been bargaining with the companies for over eighteen months. Katie Ladeki has made a splash, becoming the most decorated female in swimming and US Olympics history.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like I'm close to being finished in the sport yet.
Speaker 1: Ladeki earned silver yesterday, marking her thirteenth medal.
Speaker 5: It's not easy to win, so I'm just trying to appreciate it.
Speaker 1: The swimmer now has eight gold for silver and one bronze medal over four Olympic Games. Only Michael Phelps has more, with twenty eight. Ladeki still has one more race tomorrow. It's the eight hundred meter freestyle USA swimming, called Ladeki the best to ever do it. We're gonna get the latest from Paris on Ladeki's win and Simone biles big win in gymnastics, and what's coming up this weekend that's happening. At five point twenty, we're going to be talking with Anez de la Katerra, and let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. Karen. President Biden said it was a very good day and I would have to agree Americans were released as part of that massive prisoner swap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this was a huge afternoon for the White House. They were thrilled with this. The President, of course, was saying it was an emotional day for these families, called it a very good afternoon. But you know, he was also talking about the significance of the diplomacy here. He said it was a complex, difficult negotiation that took place, but it was a feat of diplomacy and friendship. He said friendships with multiple countries helped get this done. And he said anybody who questions whether allies matter, they do they matter? I mean this was six countries involved in the deal for twenty four prisoners. Turkey was also involved for the logistics of this as the plane landed there before coming back to the United States late last night. Just an incredible story and so much that went into this over the last several months. The White House said yesterday, you know, they learned something every time they do one of these with Russia, previous releases where certain people were not included, why they were or were not, They say they learned what Russia will do, won't do, what they want, what they don't want, and that helps inform them for the next round to try and get more Americans home.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Karen, how long has this been in the works, Because I was listening to they were talking about the Wall Street Journal was they've already kind of gotten a play by play of how it all came together, and it sounds like it's been going for months, and there's been rumblings for a couple of weeks, but we hadn't heard anything about it.
Speaker 6: I mean in case of Paul Wheeland, he of course has been in custody for five and a half years, so you know, the White House officials will say from day one from the president taking office that they were working on this and that he has been part of every conversation of previous releases of prisoners Trevor Reed, Britney Griner, and Paul Whelan was not part of those exchanges, much to the administration's dismay. But he is a part of this one. And you know, this is something that they say they have been working on since then. But this particular multi country deal was months in the making, very long time, a lot of complex conversations that the President was involved directly in. He was speaking with German Chancellor Schulz. The Vice President also had met with him to talk about how they could get Germany on board with this, because they realized that Russia was not going to agree to the release without an exchange that included Vadim Krazikhoff. He is a convicted hit man who was in German custody. He was serving a life sentence for gunning down an opponent of the Kremlin in Berlin, and he was somebody that was seen as critical to this all coming together. But that involved big negotiations with the Germans to get them to agree to release him because obviously they consider him to be a significant bad guy and the Russians consider him to be a very significant, high value individual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's interesting because you know, the charges against Gerskevich trumped up and the even Paul Waalen and then so we got them back and that's amazing. But we had to give up a really bad, bad person in Exhange. Well the Germans did, yeah, so I mean, but it's it's not a false equivalency, but it just it's such a weird, weird process that goes on. How many were released in total?
Speaker 6: It was twenty four prisoner Twenty four people were part of this exchange. Sixteen individuals in Russia were freed, and eight individuals that were held by the US, Germany, Norway, Slovenia and Poland were returned to Russia.
Speaker 1: Love it. It was a good day. It was a good day. Thank you, Karen Travers. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Bodycam video has been released from an LAPD officer who punched a man during a recent arrest in South la.
Speaker 7: Hey, bind The video shows the officer walk up to a car with heavily tinted windows, the cars facing the wrong way on the wrong side of the street.
Speaker 8: What was going on? As an idea for you your double part, but what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Though there's a cut your double part in the street.
Speaker 7: The man refuses to hand the officer his license and registration. Finally, the officer tells him to get out of the car.
Speaker 2: The tents back and forth goes on for a few minutes.
Speaker 7: Then the officer tries to arrest the man, but the man refuses to cooperate.
Speaker 9: Put the hands.
Speaker 7: Officers were able to cuff the man's left hand, but they had to use a second pair of cuffs to extend the length. Then they tried to cuff the man's right hand. At this point, the officer hits the man in the chin and move laped. Sources tell me is a distraction strike and something officers are trained to do with a combative suspect. The man was taken to a hospital, then booked for a resisting arrest. Steve Gregory Tafin Knows, a.
Speaker 1: Man from Oklahoma who grew up in la has been sentenced to a year in federal prison for making bomb threats to five schools in the city, including two elementary schools. Prosecutor say Marcus Buchanan also threatened to shoot kids in twenty twenty two, as they left one of the schools. They say during one of the calls, Buchanan told the school that's what they get for not accepting him in nineteen eighty six. You can inpleaded guilty in downtown LA. Earlier this year, crews have begun removing the last of four dams along the Klamath River in northern California. Governor Newsom says the river once supported one of the largest runs of salmon in the Western US, but for decades the fish have been blocked from migrating and that has damaged the ecosystem. He says the river restoration project will support fishing jobs and honor California's commitments to tribal nations. The dams will be gone by winter.
Speaker 10: I think they should expect uncertainty.
Speaker 1: Some investors are looking for a better day on Wall Street. A day after the Dow dropped nearly five hundred points, the SNP sank and the Nasdaq took a dip. Financial advisor Alec Tuckman with Wealth Management Partners of LA says investors are worried about a possible recession.
Speaker 10: People are having trouble affording their mortgage, people are completing they're tired of having to go to the store and seeing these huge grocery bills. They can't afford to eat out, and they're struggling to support their families.
Speaker 1: Stocks fell yesterday as the FED announced it was keeping interest rates unchanged for now. Justin Timberlake will be in court virtually on Long Island to be rearraigned on drunk driving charges. The pop singer, who's currently on tour in Europe, is to be re arraigned after police submitted corrected paperwork in the case. Timberlake's lawyer said his client was not drunk when he was pulled over in sag Harbor on June eighteenth. He's seeking to have the charges dismissed. You want more Britney Spears. Universal Pictures has claimed the rights to Britney Spears The Woman in Me. The book was published in October and will be adapted into a biopic after selling more more than two and a half million copies in the US. Wicked director John Chu is on board to direct. Chou also worked on the concert film Justin Bieber Never Say Never and Step Up two and Wicked. I can't wait that comes out. I think at Thanksgiving we saw we were at the movies the other day and saw a trailer for it Can't Wait. I've seen it at the Pantagious So I saw the stage show and like, that was more than ten years ago, and I remember saying that would be such a great movie. I love it when Hollywood does what I want them to. The so called hugging robber has struck again. Police say a woman was approached by a stranger earlier this week in Monrovia. The guy hugged her, then walked away, and during the hug, the woman says the guy stole or watch. Other hugging robberies have been reported in Orange County. Police are telling people to think twice about letting someone hug you if you don't know them. Vice President Harris's presidential campaign has vetted six potential running mates. Her team has met with Minnesota Governor Tim Walls, Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, Illinois Governor JB. Pritzker, and Kentucky Governor Andy Basher. Arizona Senator Mark Kelly and Transportation Secretary Pete Budajede are also apparently in the running. She's expected to hold her first rally with her VP pick on Tuesday, LA officials have broken ground on the first self sustaining park in the San Fernando Valley. The one and a half acre Cabalero Creek Park in Tarzana, which is just south of Victory Boulevard on Lindley, will get its water from a nearby creek and it'll use solar power to power the irrigation system for the future green space, which is adjacent to the La River. That's kind of cool at six so five a handle on the news, the US says it wasn't Nicholas Maduro but the opposition candidate that actually won Venezuela's presidential election. Let's say good morning now to ABC's nnez Dila Catera in Paris Bonjeur, and is well sure, So let's talk about making history at the Olympics. First the Golden Girls, Simone Biles, and then we're going to head over to the pool.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean Simone Viles. So winning her ninth medal, the goal that the individual all around finals, she was offto a rocky start. I think early on she had a little bit of a shocker there on the uneven bar. She messed up a bit and that set her back initially, so we should point out that is her worst rotation and that allowed for the Brazilian superstar Rebecca on Draj to pull ahead in terms of the scoring. So at one point Ondreje was leading. They then went on to being they did well there and it all came down to the floor routine. Simone went last, so that added to the drama and we were all on the edge of our seats watching that full routine, and I mean even for her, she out did herself. It was a spectacular routine. This moves that only she can do. I think the competition with Rebecca and Drage was really fun to watch, Androgia was really the only one who's put a chance of challenging Simone for the gold. And some are saying this morning that maybe it was that competition, the kind of back and forth there, the fact that the competition was so close for the gold, that that's what gave Simone a little something extra last night because she really was incredible. So she won the gold, study me won the Bronx, so two medals through ten USA and gymnastics. Yeah, and it was a beautiful moment when the two of them came out, you know, in the final scores were announced, both of them running out onto the mat with the American flag. It was a really beautiful image.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think you're right about Simone, like there was that little something umph because I've seen her. She's, like you said, she does moves that nobody else can do. But she also tends to make mistakes because the moves are they score so high that even if you make mistakes, it doesn't, you know, knock you out of contention. She did not make one mistake on that floor yesterday.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's right. So I mean, yeah, it was incredible. It was incredible. It could also be her and the fact that this was you know, we've talked about this being her redemption for she withdrew from Tokyo. This was her big comeback, so maybe that was it too. She had that, you know, she had her site sets on a set on gold and she really wanted to prove herself. It could be that it could be the competition with onra J, But either way, it was really really fun to watch.
Speaker 1: And were you able to sneak over there?
Speaker 8: I was not. Oh god, I'm so sad. I had to work. I was stuck with So the way it works I do. I do you guys in the morning. I do radio in the morning, and in the afternoons and evenings I do TV. So I was I had too many live shots, so I couldn't very sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had. A friend was texting me yesterday after the gymnastics and she's like, are should we get tickets to the next Olympics. And I'm like, I'm hoping I'll be working it, but maybe we should because I want to see the competitions. So who knows, that's.
Speaker 8: Right, I like twenty twenty eight, I know.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, so let's go over to the pool because we have a Katie Ledecki who had an nice little day.
Speaker 8: Yeah, she has been racking up those medals. She now has thirteen Olympic medals, so she has eight gold, four silvers, and one bronze. This is over four Olympics. But last night she won the silver in the four by two hundred meter freestyle relay and that made her the most decorated female Olympian of all times, so that is an incredible feat. She still has one race to go, so she comes again tomorrow in the eight hundred meter.
Speaker 1: Freestyle, so she's going to pad her record tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Hopefully that's right, Yeah, hopefully hopefully.
Speaker 1: So what else is the head for the weekend?
Speaker 8: So this weekend we had swimming winding down and athletics starting. So it actually kicked off yesterday with the twenty kilometer race walk, which if people don't know what that is, I highly recommend you go check it out. It's a really fun one to watch.
Speaker 1: It's a little weird though, right we were watching that and somebody said they've got to throw their hips out because there's just so much but it is fun and they go fast.
Speaker 8: They go fast. They are real athletes, but it's a lot of fun. So that was yesterday and today we have track and field kicking off, so we have Shikari Richardson, a big tm USA star, all eyes on her. She made her long awaited Olympic debut. We saw her just a few moments to go in round one of the women's one hundred meter She favored to win that and I will say her race at the US Trials this year in June made her the fastest woman in the world this year, so that is very exciting. And then in terms of soccer, later today, the US men's soccer team playing against Morocco in the quarterfinal. That is the first time in twenty four years that the men's soccer team has made it to the quarterfinals in the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: So lots of reasons for me to stay on my couch this weekend. And since we have to live vicariously through you and as what would you say are your top two favorite moments so far of the Olympics. O. It doesn't have to be that competition. It can be around Paris too, it can be whatever.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I think so the opening ceremony stands out as a big moment for me. You know, I live in Paris and so to see just how they pulled it off, and you know, it was quite miserable, I will say, like standing in the range, but it was so cool to see the energy and you know the fact that you had all these athletes sailing down with sin and passed all these iconic landmarks and then the Celeine beyond finisher was beautiful. I think that's something I'll always remember. And then gymnastics, I think being in there, I got to go, So, you know, it's rare for me to actually be able to go to these events because I'm something with worked, so I have to watch a lot of them on TV. But I did get to go to the team all around final for gymnastics, so that was really cool.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think those are two kinds of standout moments for me.
Speaker 10: Cool.
Speaker 1: And we've got more moments to share because we had a lot more Olympics. And then before we let you go, what's our metal count? Right now?
Speaker 8: Ooh our metal count? So we are now at thirty nine medals, are leading in terms of the total number of metals. We have nine goals, sixteen silvers, and fourteen bronches.
Speaker 1: Go Team USA. Okay, we'll look forward to talking to you on Monday. Have a wonderful weekend in this Thank you, all right, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Rancho Palace Verdes has started tagging homes where so Cow Gas shut off service because of worsening land movement.
Speaker 9: The land along Portuguese Bend has been moving up to a foot a week, damaging buildings, creating new beaches, and threatening gas lines. Mayor John Kruchenks says the city manager will be labeling homes either green, yellow or red red tags being a higher safety risk.
Speaker 7: The idea is is to not be kicking people out of their homes, but to actually find us make sure that they are living in safety.
Speaker 9: He says the city will be in close communication with homeowners about future inspections. So cow Gas shut off service for one hundred and thirty five homes Monday where underground pipelines are at risk from the shifting land. Chris Adler KFI News.
Speaker 1: News brought to you by American Vision Windows. A man in Orange County accused of running an illegal sports betting operation and taking bets from Shohei Otani's former interpreter, has agreed to plead guilty to federal charges the US Attorney's offices. The man is set to enter the plea next week to three charges, including money laundering and filing a false tax return. A child in the hospital in Riverside County is tested positive for West Nile virus. Health officials say the virus is rarely life threatening, but it can be serious. They say the child is one of three people infected across the state so far this year. The kid is expected to make a full recovery, like the other two cases. Which were reported last month in Fresno and Yuba Counties. National Parks admission is free this Sunday, It's free National Parks Day. There are lots of parks for you to choose from. There are four hundred National parks in the US, and nine of them are in California. Entry fees are normally ten to thirty five dollars. There are six free National Park Days each year. The San Diego Zoo has offered to help the Tarango Zoo in Australia with the first ever platypus conservation project. Taranga officials say platypus are important for the health of ecosystems and the watershed, keeping the systems healthy. They say they'll be working on rescue and rehabilitation, while San Diego pitches in on the research side of things. San Diego Zoo's Safari Park is home to the only platypus outside Australia. I gotta go see him. A plane carrying Americans who were just released from a Russian prison has landed in the US. Evan Gerskovich and Paul Whalen were among those who arrived at Joint Base Andrews last night in Maryland. They're among the sixteen people released from Russian detention after a massive prisoner swap that involved twenty four. President Biden and Vice President Harris were there to greet the released prisoners as they got off the plane. Researchers in Japan say they may have found a link between autumn and umbilical cord blood. Researchers at the University of Fukai say this discovery could pave the way for a better understanding of how autism develops, and also in developing tests to predict the likelihood a child will have it. With a silver in the four x two hundred meter freestyle relay, Katie Ledecki has won her thirteenth Olympic medal, making her the most decorated woman in swimming and in Olympic history. Twenty seven year old Leadeci has eight golds for silvers and one bronze over four Olympics. And guess what she says, She has every intention of swimming onto la In twenty twenty eight, at six oh five, it's handle on the news the Biden Administration's going after airlines who charge parents extra for their kids to sit next to them, And at five point fifty you know that saying that if a butterfly flaps its wings in the rainforest, it can change the weather half a world away. Well, it apparently it kind of applies in this case. We've got ABC's Jim Ryan to tell us about it. But right now, let's say good morning to the house Whisperer, the host of Home on KFI. It's Dean Sharp.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're talking this weekend about paint and painting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, yes, yes, indeed.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's the same word. It seems like it's the same thing.
Speaker 3: Well, you know it, well kind of is. We're actually taking especially Sunday show and dividing it in two. I've got a rep from the actually the Western United States sales director for Benjamin Moore Paint, which is my favorite brand of paint on the planet, sitting in studio with me. So we're gonna do half the show on paint, meaning just literally talking about paint, because I figure, you know what, if we're gonna explain to our listeners the benefits of really good paint, I might as well have the best paint standing by, so we can really talk about the differences in paint. Why you sho should always, and I always give this advice, buy the very best paint that your budget will allow you to buy, because it makes all the difference in the world. So we'll talk a lot about paint. Things that people don't know about paint, and then painting the actual act of and how to prep a wall and you know, deal with all of the things that go along with actually getting the job done.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about that because apparently painting is the number one DIY in the US.
Speaker 3: It is, it is and has been forever in the day. Statistically speaking, if you say, you know, I'm gonna do some DIY on my house, then you know, you could put decent money on the fact that paint will be involved, even if it's not the primary thing.
Speaker 1: And pretty much everybody could do it. It's maybe not well, but everybody can do it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that's that's an interesting point that you bring up. I actually think everybody can do it well. It is one of those tasks. Now, of course, you know, the longer you paint, you know, and we're not talking about fine art here, We're not talking about you know, creating the Mona Lisa. But the longer that you do paint for houses, the better you get at it. Sure, but painting is one of those things where there are a number of important steps along the way. So it's kind of complex in one sense because there's like, you know, you know, ten fifteen things that you want to do from beginning to end in order to get it right. But if you follow those steps, you will get a really really good paint job out of it, regardless of whether it's your first time doing it or your fiftieth time doing it. And that's different than other DIY potential you know tasks. I'll give you an example. I was just out on the job site yesterday watching a concrete pour in a driveway and I'll tell you, I don't know, I've lost track. I can't tell you how many times I've I've overseen pouring concrete and for forty plus years, and I will not I will not pick up a trowel and be the concrete finisher on a concrete job, because that is one thing. It's just traveling the concrete. But it's an art form. It takes that ten thousand hours to get the hand just right and to do it just right. So there are things about your house that surprisingly are very simple, like pick up a trowel and smooth that surface out, that actually far far more difficult to get a great product. And then there are things that seem a little bit more complex multiple steps like painting. But if you follow those steps, if you follow the rules, you could be a beginner and do.
Speaker 2: It just right.
Speaker 1: Okay. So if you're a rule breaker, you're in trouble. But if you follow the rules, okay. So here's here's my question to you. Because I've painted my share, and you know, it sounds like probably everybody listening has painted at some point. But it does take a while. And you said you need to follow the rules. I tend to get in patient, like a couple hours in I'm like, I just want this done, and I tend to get sloppy. So how do you combat that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard, you know.
Speaker 3: I wish there was a technique that I could tell you that, you know, other than don't rush it. I would say with all things, with all things, when it comes to your home, and we actually tell our clients this all the time, Listen, don't worry about getting this project done overnight.
Speaker 2: In one day.
Speaker 3: If it stretches out a little bit longer, you know what, next year, when you're enjoying the quality of the work, and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that, you will not care that you spent three days doing this instead of one afternoon. And so I would say, when it gets to that, if you if you recognize that in yourself, then you know what, just take a portion of the day. Don't try and you know, just take a portion of the day and say, you know what, maybe I'll just do this wall today, or maybe I'll just do the walls today, and maybe I'll do the trim, you know, and just spread it out a little bit. It might it might feel like, uh, I just want this over with, But that feeling of I just want this over with in one day is different than once you have committed to getting it all done in a day. You're right in the middle of it now, your emotions are really fighting against you, and that's when you get sloppy. So figure out how long can I paint before I get bored and impatient? And then cut it off. At that point, walk away and uh and come back and give it another you know, A couple hours tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then that leads me to so you know how you're supposed to do like the corners and kind of you know, do the cutting first before you do the rollering in the middle, which is the easy.
Speaker 2: Part, right right. It's always a good idea.
Speaker 1: Can you if you know that you're like painting, add like I am, could you just do the cutting in on one day and then come back and roller it the next day or do you need to do that in one sitting?
Speaker 3: No, absolutely you can. You just need to know one of the rules, and that is anytime you're going to leave behind paint on a w and you're going to join up with it the next day with fresh paint, what you don't want is to be able to see a lap mark on the paint.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So that means that when you cut in the edge, the edges of the edge that you've cut in needs to be feathered out nice and smooth and super thin like. In other words, the paint that you see there needs to go from thick and lovely like it is right at the edge that you're cutting in, and then it needs to just fade to nothing. That fade away or what we call feathering. The edge is the key for when you come back and add more paint to the wall, that you don't end up with a visible seam where you started and stopped, or what we call a lap mark. So feather in, feather out that edge to zero and walk away. It's when people just put one like four inch wide strip right on the wall and it's got a clean edge against the corner and a clean edge against the wall. You'll see that the next day.
Speaker 1: See really important tips. Okay, so one last question before we because I know you're gonna be talking about this a lot, so you can get lots more details with Dean this weekend. Is it too hot to paint?
Speaker 2: It can be, it can be too wet.
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 3: You know by looking at your paint, and your paint will tell you, meaning that the can.
Speaker 2: Will tell you.
Speaker 1: Use me today.
Speaker 3: All paint comes with the details. It's just like kind of a medicine on the side of a medicine bottle. People never read the can and they should because all paint and different paints have different tolerances for different temperatures. So I'm not going to tell you, oh it's got to be this to this, but the can will tell you that it's got to be this to this ideally most of the time. Here's the thing you don't want to be painting in. Whether that's you know, pushing into the nineties that that's or in the thirties or forties. Okay, there is a too cold and a too hot for paint to perform well. But generally speaking, the kind of temperature that you and I enjoy that range from you know, let's say mid eighties down to you know, low sixties that we can tolerate. That's great painting weather.
Speaker 1: Okay. And to get more great advice on paint and painting, listen to Dean this weekend. He's on six to eight am. The show is called Home right here on KFI or you can listen and you can listen again on Sunday from nine to noon. Thank you, Dean.
Speaker 2: Sharp, Thank you Amy. Have great weekends.
Speaker 1: And you're not with us next week because somebody approved a vacation for you or something.
Speaker 2: I know, all right, how did that happen.
Speaker 1: We'll have fun and we'll look forward to talking to you when you're back.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Okay. Tonight, the Dodgers are in Oakland to take on the A's the first pitch goes out at six forty. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA Sports and stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of La. La County must make polling places more accessible to vote with disabilities. That's after a federal investigation concluded the county violated the Americans with Disabilities Act of nineteen ninety. County reached a settlement with the US Department of Justice yesterday. If it seems like there are a lot of fires burning in California, it's because there are. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection says wildfire activity is twenty eight hundred percent higher than last year. Fires are also above the five year average. More than seven hundred and fifty thousand acres have burned in California this year. More than a dozen active wildfires are burning, including the state's largest in Northern California that has burned about four hundred thousand acres. Season two of the hit Netflix series Squid Game finally has a release date. The second season will drop on December twenty sixth. I don't know this squid game in Christmas really go hand in hand, but that's okay. The third and final season will release in twenty twenty five. The first season of the show is the most watched season of TV and Netflix's history, and it won six Emmys. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning. Fresh off a huge hike in the minimum wage, fast food workers are coming back for more. Right now, let's say good morning too, ABC's Jim Ryan, Good morning, Jim.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 1: I was saying that, you know, like when a butterfly flaps its wings, it makes a difference a half a world away. This is a little bit bigger than this, but maybe kind of the same idea.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you're right. Yeah, the butterfly effect and what they say about a butterfly flapping its wings in Africa causing a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. It's a cool theory, it really is. Well, here's what's happening right now. The giant annual cloud of dust and dirt and stuff, the debris, the plume that rises up off the Sahara in Africa makes its way west kind of against the forces of the stream, but the trade winds push it across the Atlantic Ocean five thousand miles. This huge one hundred and eighty million ton of cloud that shows up on satellites as a big kind of beige cloud out there, moving all the way across the Atlantic Ocean, some of it falling off in the water as it comes, some landing in the Caribbean, other pieces of it going down into South America parts of the cloud, and then some of it landing right here. Yesterday I went for a little bike ride about eleven miles and had to finally give up because the first of all was hot, and second because of the heavy, heavy air, and that probably was a product just in the same way that a short time ago we had a beautiful sunrise because of that big Saharan cloud.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're and you're in Texas. Here is Texas? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah? Sorry.
Speaker 1: Has it spread as far as California or is it expected to or is it just in certain parts of the country.
Speaker 11: Probably not, Yeah, I mean the expectation is that it's going to fall in Florida in the south, you know. And heard from somebody in Kentucky this morning who was getting a feel for it, but it's primarily a southeast Southern sort of thing against South American Central America. Be surprised if it made it as far west as California, but it wouldn't be surprised about anything anymore.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And so you said you had to quit because it just felt heavy. Is it like, is the air gritty or does it feel humid or what does it feel like?
Speaker 11: Well, some people, I mean, if you're sensitive, if you have allergy sensitivities, you might be feeling it more than other people. You know, itchyi, it's and a sore throat or coughing, a little bit of tickle in this throat, and again sort of this heavy feeling of the air. And maybe it's just perception. Maybe it's just the way that you perceive things. If you know about this Ahir and cloud, you probably blame a lot of things on it. But it sort of felt different yesterday as eyes out on the bike and again, I mean there was some wind blowing the wrong direction and it was warm. But at the same time, yeah, usually I can breathe, at least for Heaven's sake.
Speaker 1: Gaming, Well, you know what I call it. I call it a good excuse not to exercise.
Speaker 11: You know what, it's the silver lining to the big beige.
Speaker 1: Cloud in that absolutely okay. But you said too that there are some benefits of this big base.
Speaker 11: Probably more benefits than shortcomings, because yes, it does it. Besides the sand and grit lifted up off the Saharia, it contains nutrients too, iron and phosphorus and things that as they are falling off into the ocean, they have helped to feed the algae and the plankton, the sea life. The part that blows south into South America helps to feed the rainforests. We get beautiful sunrises again here we get beautiful sunsets on the Gulf of Florida, the Gulf coast of Florida. It also might be holding down the number of hurricanes because this is a very dry cloud right a very dry phenomenon, and hurricanes and tropical storms need moisture in the air in order to form. This was supposed to be an extremely active year for hurricanes. So far, we've had a hurricane barrel that came into the coast of Texas. There is some activity out in the Gulf right now, and it may or may not become a tropical storm. It's possible that the big Sahara cloud is holding down the number of tropical storms and.
Speaker 1: Hurricanes in protesting. You know, Mother Nature is pretty amazing. She is like she's doing a little redecorating right now.
Speaker 11: Right right, and reminding us that, you know what, the world is a very very big place, and something that happens in Africa, the flap of a butterfly's wings or a wind that pushes sand up into the air could affect us here.
Speaker 1: All right, baby c Jim Ryan, thank you so much. All Right, I have a great weekend, and I hope you get to get out and get some more exercise.
Speaker 11: Maybe a stationary bike insight.
Speaker 1: Oh good, idea. Yeah, I'm going to be on the couch watch in the Olympic. Stop it all right, talk to you soon. You. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Americans Evan Gerskovich and Paul Waylan have arrived at a US air base in Maryland. That's where their families were waiting for them. President Biden and Vice President Harris also greeted them last night as they got off the plane. Gerskevich and Whalan were freed by Russia yesterday as part of a twenty for twenty four person prisoner swap involving the US and at least six other countries. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan was emotional as he recounted conversations he and President Biden had with the families.
Speaker 10: Most of the time, as you can imagine, those are tough conversations, but not today today.
Speaker 2: Excuse me. Today was a very good day and we're going to build on it.
Speaker 1: Eight Russian prisoners in the West were released in the exchange. More than twenty five hundred video game performers in Hollywood are on strike, demanding protections against artificial intelligence.
Speaker 9: Those performers say major companies like Electronic Arts think AI can mimic human movement and replace video game artists SAG after negotiating member Lindsay Russo says, multiple elements go into creating a video game character, and it's a work of art.
Speaker 5: Then you have our movement performers, our stunt performers coming in to do the physicality of that character, the fighting, the flips.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: More than three hundred union members rallied outside of Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank yesterday after more than eighteen months of bargaining. The company say they're disappointed the union called to strike so close to reaching a deal. Chris Adler kf I News.
Speaker 2: Let's get in the water, right.
Speaker 1: Michael Phelps has spent some time in the pool during the Olympics. He's not competing, but he's giving Snoop Dogg swimming lessons. The rapper joked about having great lung power, comparing himself to Phelps. Then Snoop told Phelps he makes swimming look too easy.
Speaker 7: Shout out to the Phillips families and to the team that's going to give you some osage right now.
Speaker 2: Now, y'all get out on my face. Y'all got more Olympic coverage, you go games.
Speaker 1: Michael Phelps has won twenty eight medals, and Michael Phelps one of the celebrities that have been spotted around the Olympic Games. Of course, Snoop Dogg is everywhere. We saw Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban, we saw Serena Williams or was it Vanessa? But I mean, like so many people are at the Olympics, and we've spotted Tom Cruise. You've seen him. He was at the gymnastics and I was like, Oh, okay, he's just a celebrity there. Well, apparently he's more than just a spectator. So we're finding out that Tom Cruise is going to be part of the closing ceremonies at the Olympics. So the plan, according to TMZ, is that he's going to repel into the stadium during closing ceremonies in Paris, and then they'll cut to a pre recorded clip of him flying a plane across the ocean and skydiving out of it down to the Hollywood Sign in Los Angeles with the Olympic flag, because part of closing ceremonies is transferring the flag from the host country of this Olympics to the host country and actually the host city of the next Olympics, which I'm wondering how that's all going to play out, because we know that Mayor Bass is going to be there because as the mayor of La, she officially takes the flag and brings it back. But maybe Tom Cruise is going to steal it from her and bring it back to LA. Don't know, but it sounds like a whole lot of fun, and we have to wait a little while because opening ceremonies are still more than a week away, lots more competition to go. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI, sunny with highs in the seventies and eighties at the beaches, eighties to low nineties for Metro La and Inland Orange County. Upper nineties to low one hundreds for the Inland Empire and Antelote Valley, with a slight chance of afternoon thunderstorms. It's going to be sunny tomorrow, high as much like today it is in the seventies and eighties at the beaches and Metro areas, nineties to low one hundreds in the Valley's I E and Anelote Valley. Then even a couple degrees warmer for Sunday. Right now, it's sixty six in Mission Viejo. It's sixty nine in Buena Park. This we lead local, just getting scattered as we maybe I'm maybe I'm sad because wake up call is ending. But the good news is it's time for handle on the news. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and technical producer KNO and also traffic special Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, don't listen to that last thirty seconds, but otherwise you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app