Speaker 1: Hello, ladies and Jim and welcome to the seven hundred and twelfth episode of the Geek Ferst Podcast. I am the total Eclipse of the Heart Trust now and I'm joined.
Speaker 2: By Hey, my name's Dolmus.
Speaker 1: I'm the Granny Style to the field Granny Style. My goodness, I haven't heard that in my life, but here we are. We are back with another Evil Dead. We got some history of this franchise. I did re release all the retros that we did, god how many years I think it was like four years ago we did them, so they're back on the feeds now because well, if you want to know what our thoughts are, we reviewed every single one Evil Dead, Evil Dead Too, Army Darkness, Evil Dead twenty thirteen, Evil Dead Rights and now here we are at Evil Dead Burn. So if you want our thoughts, wondering, hey, what do we think about those, you can go back there on the feeds right now. As usual, we're going to give our overalls, our recommendations, our review, all non spoilers, and then we'll do a little break and then we'll warn you, hey, we're in the spoiler wall, and so if you don't want to get any of that, then go away. If you don't care, then buckle up. But yeah, here we are. Dylan mus what do you think of Evil Dead burned? Do you have like a quick in case people don't listen to those reviews, give like a quick elevator pitch of your feelings on the Evil Dead franchise, and then I'll see, uh, if you've been burned tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, It's it's always fun when you're doing one like this. Because Evil Dead was a series. I had not seen that all before Evil Dead Rise came out and we did the retrospective, so I finally went through and watched all those movies back to back, and then we did the ranking and all that fun stuff. But now now it's been like what two or three years since that movie, and I haven't like revisited any of those movies. So it's like all my Evil Dead was kind of contained to this like two month long period of my life, and now it's been a couple of years and I'm kind of revisiting it. And this is a movie that I don't think I ever caught a trailer for once, you know, when it was like a weekly conversation. I was not on that episode. I haven't been to the movie since Mario, and they're definitely not playing an evil dead Burn trailer at Mario.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And a couple of times YouTube has tried to serve me one of those ads, but then I hit skip in like three seconds, you know. So I didn't really know anything about this movie, didn't know what the premise or setup was, didn't know any of the actors. I don't think I would have known any of the actors anyway, because they kind of go with some lesser known people, or at least lesser known to me in particular. So yeah, it's fun to get back into this series, and also to go into a movie with no expectations whatsoever, because these days, when we're reviewing things talking about trailers all the time, sometimes that doesn't happen as often. So it's fun to go in blind a little bit evil dead Burn. I guess what I'll say about this movie is I feel like, if you just want like a simple movie that has, you know, not much going on in the plot wise, but you just want some big gory kills, then like this, you know this movie will get the job done. This it will be a movie for you. There's certainly some moments I had to cringe and look away from the screen because it was so nasty. But overall, I think as a movie definitely has like an Evil Dead movie. I feel like it didn't really have much going in the way of character or personality. I think there's something very distinct about all of these movies in the past, and maybe kind of less so with Rise, honestly, since it is maybe a bit of a deviation from those, and I feel like Burne is kind of as well. Is there almost just like anthology or something like that, But yeah, I don't. I overall, I think coming away from this, while I had like an okay time and some of the scenes were kind of fun, I was pretty underwhelmed with this movie overall. I feel like that, you know, there's one character that I felt like kind of invested in, but that was more just like relative to everyone else, who were a bunch of duds in my opinion. There was some good scenes, of course, some of that good gore, but I also felt like there was a couple of scenes that they're really trying to build up the suspense and tension, and then it kind of deflated a little bit, Like there's a particular dinner scene that I thought was going super well and then it just like ends in really flat wing. It's like, oh, this is like the most tense movie part of the movie so far, and then I felt like that happened a couple times unfortunately, And I think some of it just comes down to like maybe some clunky choreography or things like that. You know, certain things when you get in a zooming on someone's face getting ripped up by a razor. Obviously that's intense and gross, but I feel like it needs the moments in between to kind of tie those things together and build up the suspense, and it lacks some of that. Acting is kind of weak, stories super weak. I don't really know what this movie is. Like Objective was like, I feel like it's kind of just trying to be Gore poorn essentially and like grab a couple of evil dead things. But I don't feel like it like expands on. Not that the lure is super deep anyway, you kind of have to infer a lot of stuff. But I don't know. I don't feel like this movie is really doing anything particularly unique either. Obviously, like the burn is in the title and there's a lot of thematicness around fire and burning into this movie without getting into the specifics of it. But I also I don't know if that really I guess you could, you know, pull some meaning out of that and love or desire or family or something like that, but I don't know. I think I'd be just g as Meet Straws to try and find like what exactly this movie was trying to accomplish. So yeah, I think it definitely lacks that Evil Dead, that evil Dead sauce. Maybe you know, not all of them need to be have that comedic angle because they don't. They definitely don't all have that, but I think that is something that sets to depart from movies that feel very similar. But honestly, other than like an necronomicon being mentioned, I feel like you could this could easily not be an Evil Dead movie at all, is kind of how I feel about it. I'm also not super pressed about the series, so I don't really care too much about that. I was more just like, hey, give me a good horror movie, and even at that it was like, eh, it's just okay. So yeah, I think overall pretty underwhelmed. I'd have to really listen to the ranking I don't know where i'd slot this one, honestly, because I don't love the whole series. I really just love Army of Darkness and then like a couple of other ones. Well, twenty thirteen was pretty great. But anyway, I'm rambling now, so all of you guys take the take the fiery biton.
Speaker 1: I feel like, if I recall I feel like you're like Army of Darkness twenty thirteen, Evil Dead too, evil Dead, and then Rise because you were underwell Rise.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of Rise was pretty underwhelming as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a lot of things in the original you didn't like either, So I think those are cephal nestled safely under the tree there. But would you sworen't doing a re rank amp? So would you put this last in now? Well, I guess you said you'd have to think right, and.
Speaker 2: I'd have to watch Rise again, which I don't want to do. I feel like I like Rise more. I feel like i've weirdly enough, Yeah, I didn't. I listened to a bit of our review and I was kind of cold on it. But in my mind, I'm like, oh, I like that movie is fine, but I don't know. So you saw I haveter revisit it, so I'll stick this one at like maybe the bottom or like second from the bottom or something. But I don't know, honestly, other than like the top two of twenty thirteen and Army of Darkness, like they kind of just all blend together. To me, it doesn't really matter what the order is.
Speaker 1: So you saw this one, You're like, you know, Rise wasn't actually that bad, and hello, thinking back to three years ago, you know.
Speaker 2: You know, honestly, maybe I was just thinking of one. You know, was Sutherland in particular, is such a standout in that movie. I feel like this movie didn't have a standout, whether that's a dead dight or a or a human and protagonists that were following. So maybe that's something that like when I think back on the movie, I can remember that in some of her scenes, whereas I don't know what from this movie I'm gonna remember like when the next one comes out or two years from now or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: We've said this before. There must be some sort of curse with the Evil Dead franchise. Is not the first time, but I thought after that movie, I think I even drafted her for a year. I thought, oh, listen, lista Sutherland. She's gonna be a bunch of stuff, like how people do not see that performance? Be like, let's let's just like get her in this get not even like comics of just like anything, just like And I think I've not seen her in a single thing since the same thing we talked about in that retro Bruce Campbell were like, Oh, he's so charismatic, such a good lead. He's in nothing. Jane Levy, she kills it as a god. What was her characters is Jane? I think right? No, her name's Jane Levy. What the heck was her name? In twenty thirteen for some reason, no idea. I'll have to I'll pull it up here because it was bugging me. Here me, Oh, okay, there we go. So I guess I gonna do this in a backwards way I think you were, and I'll go Usually I like to go last, but I think I'm I might be aligned with uh with Dylan. Me and Taylor saw it together, but we didn't say a single word after We didn't say a single word, so we just kept it to you know, as we do podcast life. But I've probably been more in line with Dylan here and think you're talking about that special sauce. That's the thing where I'm going over those leads. That's something that all I'd say those five because he has five evil dead movies have in common that this doesn't. That you have, whether it's a dead bite or the hero lead, you have that one anchor in the movie. You got Bruce Cambell in the first three, you got Jane Levy as me and Evil did twenty thirteen, who Yeah, she's a deadite, but she's so fun to watch and she goes back and forth between being a dead bite and normal like you're rooting for her. And then Alyssa's Sutherland. She's other than the first act. She is just the moster the whole way through. But she's such dynamite on screen. That's what this movie is really lacking. It does not have that anchor whatsoever. And I don't think there's anyone like bad bad in here. I don't think there's anyone amazing, but I don't think there's ayone like, oh, they're really stinking it up. It's just that there's no one that just like stands out or elevates. But the same I don't think there's a role in here that could have been that, right, It's not like, oh, they have that one main thing. And I guess you could say the main character of this And I don't think the lead here, Alice, is particularly like bad or anything. It's just that even the writing of this character, I don't think there's any standout moments. Right. Obviously, Bruce Campbell very charismatic with me. You have she's trying to get over addiction and drugs, and then with the list of Sutherland, you have the kids with this character, not big spis my I suppose she's just like she's a widow and there's some relationship drama with it. But we never dive too deep. It always feels like it's put way in the background, you know, which is a lot of these storylines. It feels like there is surface level stuff. I think this is a you are here for the gore and I'll give them this. There are lots of cool shots in this trade or in this movie somewhere in the trailer, but some weren't. There's just tons of cool imagery and there's sons of cool that was in the trailer. But there's one where the girl's on the bathroom floor and she gets a bag put over and then they walk up the whole wall to the roof. They were having fun on the set, and I think that's where visually it stands out quite a bit. And there's lots of close cuts, there's lots of quick editing, so it has lots of style. I think it just might be a style over substance sort of deal here. And I saw I supposed in the discord he put that he'd heard the bleakest evil Dead yet, but also the most funniest since, like, you know, because Rise and twenty thirteen didn't really have that humor. I'll say they win for that. But the problem for me is a distdann't not much of the humor fit, you know, even I feel like I lacked more and Rise, which was like very dark, dark humor, but I thought I got more. Chuckles were here. It just kind of felt like if you're in a comedy club and there's a guy doing jokes.
Speaker 2: I can't even think of a single funny moment in this movie. Actually, I think I don't think I had one.
Speaker 1: I think the Dead Kits are stuff, the Grandma stuff. Yeah, and I think the Dead Dits are a bit more like jokey here, but like at the end of the day, like when Mia is like, hey, you want to suck your cock? Pretty well, like that's not a joke, but the way Jane Levy and they deliver, it's like, Okay, this is kind of fucked up and funny. They try that in this movie, but it just doesn't it doesn't really get there. So yeah, I think, and to go back all the way around, I love Evil Dead. I Evil Dead. Something I saw very early on, even though it's the funny one. I remember seeing Evil Dead two scaring the shimmy a little bit. Is that scene where Ash turns into a deadite for a little bit, and I saw it way too young, and just the way he looks that, him going in the water and coming out and being Deadit stuck with me for years until I saw it twenty thirteen I loved. And then I actually really did love Rise as well too. So I've been very happy with this franchise. And I said, because in twenty thirteen that was a big hit, and it took ten years or yeah, ten years for the make another. And I always went, why, like their low budget, you know, there's probably lots of filmmakers that do or have a vision for this. And then Office Rise came out, was supposed to go streaming, was a big hit, and then they go, okay, now it's been three years, and I thought, okay, yeah, that's more like it. You know, kids, there's a movie called Session out there. Gotta be careful what you wish for, because there's a few things in this movie that I was like, you know, I think we're doing some things that we've done too many times. I think we're sending things up in like an MC type of way where I'm like, I don't know, so now I'm now a little a little word. Maybe it's best that Evil Dead is like a yeah, every ten years it comes around because Scream has that problem nowadays too. Write me and Tary review that. It's like what else is there to do now? And I am excited for the next one, Rath, because they're going back the seventies and that's supposed to be like a sexual coming of age thing, and that already feels like that has a take. And my last point, just to Dylan's point, Yeah, it just feels like there isn't much of a full take here. It feels like it's there, but that's really buried underneath the gore and the creepiness. And yeah, I didn't attach to any characters. I don't know. I don't think I'll never watch this again. It's not a bad movie. I had a good time. It's a fun horror movie. I think it's better made than a lot of other horror I shouldn't say that, but just a lot of probably stuff out there that is in the genre, just from a filmmaking point of view. But I don't know when i'd watched this again. I'm sure I will at some point in my life, but I'm not. It's not like Rise or twenty three Team and where it's like, oh man, well that's on streaming, that's on blue ray. I can't wait to pop that back in and go on that roller coaster right again. This felt like a roller coaster of like, Okay, I'm ready to get off. I know we've been here for a bit, but I'm I'm good to go. And it felt long. I'll look while Taylor's talking about all the run times is compared, it's only an hour fifty two, But many times I was like, okay, let's round it out here. So yeah, so again, not bad. I would recommend it. If you're a fan of the franchise, absolutely, if you like torture porn, absolutely, If you're kind of maybe more on the fence, like if you're like Dylan where you like some but you don't like others, I think you can wait for streaming for this one. There is some great visuals, don't get me wrong. So I guess if you're a visual like camera cineatography not then sure, but I don't think it is Uh, you got to run out to see this one unfortunately, so that that which is kind of a bummer. But you know, we'll see what happens. So Taylor run us out here. What did you think of? What is your history of the Old Dead quickly? You know Elevator pitch and then your thoughts on this movie?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, so my my history goes back to uh, eve'l Dead two was the one that kind of introduced me into this franchise, Cmember.
Speaker 2: I was younger, and I put.
Speaker 3: It on and I don't know what it was, but there was just certain visuals in this movie that just really roped me in. Uh it's Ash's girlfriend, just the head rolling around on the decapitated body, and just like the dancing scene or just when the other crew, like after ash is fighting the Dead, Night's the other crew of people show up and then it's just it's chaos or by don you know, Granny and the Base. But there's so many different things going on in that movie, and that's just what really pulled me in, uh so, getting into yeah, the Original and then Army of Darkness and then ash Re's Evil Dead, which I think is just like a it's a I don't say guilty pleasure because it's not like it's a bad show. It's just it's a it's a crazy, flamboyant, comedic heck of a time, and I enjoy a lot of that. It's just it's it's a hell of a ride. But uh yeah, ever since then and everything that we've kind of had introduced, it's just such an interesting universe. And it's just there's so many little things with it comes to the Dead Dights that I find curious, like their weaknesses, how they spread and how you get infected with you know, the the pet this the dead Ight, whatever you want to call it. And then it's just there's so many different kind of things that are just okay. They're always changing the kind of cannon or the way that they're doing things, and I kind of like, I'm fine with that because it's just kind of trying to keep up and just kind of learn more about this universe. So getting into this one, I feel like it was the most tame in terms of gore. I feel like Rise and twenty thirteen were way above in terms of its gore, and like there's some of the craziness, yeah, like.
Speaker 1: The stuff in har but so below.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised on that this Like there's some great gross moments in here, but when you compare it to like twenty thirteen's Evil Dead, the tongue stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, and you got like the kids, what they're doing a Rise, like eating glass and all these other like gross disgusting things.
Speaker 2: Like there's just there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of that kind of stuff that I feel like is a little bit higher than here in this movie. I feel like, Okay, there's at least two scenes that just really grossed me out that I think like, like, ah, but.
Speaker 2: What I do around? I was moving around. I was moving around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had no more M and M, so I couldn't I couldn't bite my way out of it. But I think that these modern day Evil Dead films, like you guys highlighted the way they shoot some of these scenes, they're fantastic. Like you mentioned, Travis, the bathroom scene and this one was great. You know, you go to Rise, you get that hallway scene through the people, which is just fucking terrifying and intense. You get all these awesome even the intro to Rise too. I was hoping we get a banger intro here, but it didn't for me. It didn't compete with Rise get that music and every way.
Speaker 1: Until we get this boys, I even thought they were sending something up. It could have been cheesy, but I'll wait. But they were like zooming on a way. I'm like, oh, they got something cooking here. And then it was just the graphic. But it's hard to pull that off every time. Right, that was a unique one.
Speaker 3: But all in all, I feel like I'm not over the moon for this, this addition to the franchise. I'm definitely I can appreciate it and enjoy it. My biggest thing in terms of appreciating it would be I actually like the kind of.
Speaker 2: I didn't like, how do I say this.
Speaker 3: I like how they were kind of trying to expand and tap into little things that they've created in all the different movies. You can see like oh, well, this scene is like paying tribute to this and the franchise of this, Like, oh, you got these different things going on. It feels like, Okay, they've taken the universe and kind of culminated it into the events in this movie, and they've introduced some different things that I liked, like well, I'll say that for spoilers, but the thing that got too far fetched for me was the.
Speaker 2: The two post credits.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say what they are, but you have one that I feel like, Okay, this enhances the story and another one which is just kind of like a right turn, and I feel like, Okay, this is where we'll get to Wrath. Wrath is obviously a prequel, I'm and I mean, time travel is obviously a thing with evil dead.
Speaker 2: I doubt they're going to touch upon that, and here I be. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think we're going back to that. I think that's a one and done thing with the comedic side of things. But when you look at what they're doing and what they were setting up with this movie. I feel like, Okay, we need more Evil Dead sequels now to explain this stuff, unless it's all supposed to cull into one more movie where things kind of converge in each other. But then story wise, it doesn't seem to make sense at least maybe I'm missing something. But we'll break it down at spoilers when we get to it, because I feel like I have a couple of questions regarding I like that.
Speaker 1: You're trying to make sense of anything. It's like there's some fucking book in a like a cabinet, or they're like, oh, there's a fourth book and that explains X, Y and.
Speaker 3: Z, Like there's books with notes you know, people have written. There's like twenty thousand books out there, no notes ever on.
Speaker 1: The cover of the first page. And just don't read this, just put it back. They always that for the back half, like oh, and if you say these four wards but don't do it, they'll cause great harm and problems. And but who knows that could be a reason of why them, like the past two have done so well. Maybe they're getting a bit big for their bridges, Like oh, we can start to really expand this thing. But that's where just you gotta be careful, you know, you just gotta like again, are people it's like, we've a couple of other franchises. Do they want to be there for an Evil Dead movie or do they want to be there for Evil Dead the franchise? And it's like, I don't know about that, Like I guess we'll see, we'll see what happens with this one, but like then to start committing to because even like it's we've saw this in the trailers and they only showed one thing before we getting spoils that like this was connected to Rise and that is the opening up this movie. So that's never other than and even the Ash movies. They're all connected, but in like a very weird, like loose way, right, Like Evil Dead two is like a comedy remake of one and then Army of Darkness. Sure it's connected, but it could be its own thing of like a time travel thing. Right, so we're now we're starting to tinker into that, like, oh, have you seen the last one? You know who this is? It's like, I don't know, we'll it's just not what I expected from Evil Dead. So but I do think yous to I think that I don't know if they'll go back to time traveling comedy, but I do think they should at some point. I think that's something that I really hope with Wrath, even if it's not a gore fest, I hope it's a little bit different because if they never go back to calm and again, I prefer my two favorites are Evil Dead and twenty thirteen. I prefer the darker stuff. But that was always the fun thing about Evil Dead was the kind of back and forth, and I just worried that they lean too much on this because to me, this feels like a like a baby Brother version of Rise. It feels like a less better version of Rise. So that's where it's like, Okay, I think now you got to take like like you said, or not the right turn you're talking about, but like right turn, Like hey, what what can we do this? You know, like what could and maybe the seventies going back? Maybe you can have some fun there.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, I don't know, is the is the new one that's announced? Is it also just like here up and coming horror director? Yeah, T see, Like I don't I don't think there's much forward thinking of like what's the grand plan with this? I think it's just like Sam Rai Mey being a good guy and being like, hey take this ip. Yeah, you're a young up and comer. I saw one of your movies. I thought it was good, like take a swing at Evil Dead and just take your spin on it. And I don't. I don't think there's probably much more to it, and probably just giving it to those people who looked up for these movies when they're growing up or becoming filmmakers or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, yeah, I forgot about that, s bubs because I did watch show back. I've actually after this, I wanted to rewatch the show. I don't know we're streaming. But he says they did time travel and ash For's Evil Dead. There's always another book, Secret Spell, Retual. They can just do anything the plot needs, and I yeah, I think evil that's very comic booking that way, like oh, how does this happen? We'll have them because of this and then they move on. So but uh yeah, and I guess yeah, that's where if you want their fixed check out the TV show. It's tons of fun. Bruce Campbell just having a good time with that, and that's way more like Evil Dead two, Army of Darkness type of humor there, but anything else non spoilers. Before we crack open the spoil I.
Speaker 3: Will say right when the movie was starting, you know, like the intro scene, it was very quiet and there wasn't any music play, you know, our theater, but all I could hear from the next door was you're welcome. Like Duayne Johnson was going fucking ham singing. Maana was just loud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was popping off. And then hopefully it's all right. But at the end of this movie we got an amber alert. But at first I thought was in the movie, like the loud ringing. I was like, oh, this is a charid.
Speaker 2: It's happened to your cell phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's one thing. It's funny because April said this in our discord and like I don't mean this to be like an insult or offense as a director, but like, hey, if you didn't know this director's French, you'll fucking know it twenty minutes into this movie. Because I'm not like a bad thing. It just felt like there was a point where all right, we get it, Like I don't know, maybe again, that's like.
Speaker 2: What you're saying I'm curious what you mean by that.
Speaker 1: Actually, like tons of just French music, French characters. The end credit song is a French pop song. Obviously our leads French. It just felt very It didn't feel like, oh it was a French director with his flair. It felt very in my face of oh, this is a French director like Evil Dead, it's not have like like and it'd be different. This movie was in France. It's not in France, you know, it's it's just in America and they're all this like random French stuff going on. All the main character's husband loves French food, like just that type of stuff where he's just like, okay, you know, so hey, if we get Evil Dead, I'll to do that. I'll just have to go heavy on Canadian bacon and A's and everything like that. You know.
Speaker 2: So that all worked for me, Like I didn't. I didn't think too much into it, but like.
Speaker 1: I don't see negative.
Speaker 2: I just felt like I love I love the French.
Speaker 3: You know, you got the songs in there and everything and there you know all that she's speaking French like I'm just driving with it.
Speaker 2: I was eating. It's not a.
Speaker 1: Negative but I think it'd be different if it was a non French director and be like, Okay, that's a takedy on. It just felt like, oh, you got a French director and I'm gonna put a lot of French stuff in this movie, right that That's what it just felt like. It's so that's his life, man, that's his life. Yeah, that's fine. And I but that's not been evil dead, that's not really had much like Countries.
Speaker 2: Is filmed in Cologna.
Speaker 1: I look at these, I digress, but yeah, anything else, all right, we're doing the spoils well, so we're gonna take your first ad break. If you've not seen the movie, come back later on and check it out. We will be right back and we're back. You could have listened to Patreon. You could have went to Patreon not got this. Oh my god, I'm gonna start right over there. You could have went to Patreon and got this episode ad free, just like every other episode. Our entire back logs up there, exclusive episodes, behind the scenes, polls, tons of good stuff. Join after nine this weekend. We're gonna play jack Box with a bunch of you. It's gonna be a good time. And then GV Day is August eighth, not doing the whole rigamarole because late we got a review to do, but tons of stuff celebrating eleven years. We stream for at least ten hours, just dozens of events, good time, lots of laughs, lots of pizza. It's gonna be it's next Extra Life. I go back and forth, but that's the most fun day we have here at GV. So check out that. It is worth Uh obviously it will be a vod you watched out for the fact, but it's it's worth being there live. There's a good time. So we very much appreciated when that joins that and joins us for ju day. And if I just head down below everything, you know, all links are there. Let's just start at the beginning, you know, because you know that's usually krikal pats or move. But it ties right in her eyes. So we have that girl that she was. If you don't remember, all that stuff happens in the rise building. She's just going camping, she's gonna drive over. She gets taken over by you know, Ellie and all of them, and then she goes to the cabin. She's all sick. She gets hit in the face with that drone or whatever, and then bad stuff happens. So this is her where she is now, just in that body water, swimming going on.
Speaker 2: I'm living there for a good minute. It looks like that's her swamp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't get any time, you know, like specification of what's going on with her, but she's there. And we have the scene that these guys are fishing, so they just want to have some guy time. What his wife keeps calling and keeps going, don't pick it up. He's like, I gotta take it. So he walks away, and then we kind of get two things here, which again it's I always go back and forth with dead its right. Sometimes they're just like this meat sacks that really can't do anything. And then you got this dead dight who is just a fucking MS character. The fish hooks, I don't know why, the fish hooks something like fine. What happens is they have a bunch of rods there, too many, but they have a bunch of rods there. Whoever this lady is from Rye. She takes all the hooks and the twine and throws it back of the guy's fishing, grabs him by the eyes, the mouth everything like that, pulls him in. He's getting messed up, and you know, obviously he gets killed. He gets whole. Half his friend gets in a boat, pulls him out, held him for a long time before he knew that he was halfed. So I was fine with that. The next one where she throws the other guy in the water, tips the boat and she literally starts to boil the entire lake. Guys like, all right, I think we're again. I guess upset in the comment it is eel. Then they can go as hard as they want.
Speaker 2: But I think you, guys, seems like she made it rain too. Yes, rain boys, he's got storm power, she's got storms.
Speaker 1: Yes, move set essentially just a bit too far from me, which again, does that sound stupid in a franchise that has time travel? I get it, Yes it does, but I don't know why. Just like the power gauge on here, it's okay, then how can I like, how can we go from God to like, oh, a fork can take out.
Speaker 2: Because it's like herd domain and she like has built up her power here or something.
Speaker 1: Maybe how'd you feel this opening, Dylan?
Speaker 2: You know, I actually I quite enjoyed it. I think Uh, the power level thing doesn't bother me, but maybe I haven't seen these movies enough to like remember like whatever character is capable of something. But I thought it was cool. I thought it was fun. I thought the you know, the the hooks like pulling into the guy's skin absolutely disgusting. That was nasty. And yeah, I thought it was kind of just fun.
Speaker 1: To me.
Speaker 2: That was like a fun, nice callback to rise, like I kind of that character specifically, but also just like the start of that movie being like a big kill at like a dock or whatever. Too. I thought it was kind of fun to go back through some of that stuff.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I thought it was just interesting the way they start with that sequence and then we cut to like, okay, here's our here's the introduction, like our actual like protagonists and characters in this movie. You get a whole sequence with them that takes like ten to fifteen minutes of intro, and then that like leads us right back to this location with that character. So I thought I thought that was kind of a fun little like intro bookend in a way. It was like not a full movie bookend, but just like for the intro specifically. So yeah, I quite enjoyed the intro to this movie. Actually, I think it was more like later on. I think it's more when we get to the house is when I was maybe less intrigued by what was going on than on out. But I think the first half an hour or whatever was was pretty pretty strong.
Speaker 1: You like the Evil Dead burn short film there, you know, like the yes, yeah, yeah, before I throw to you. Because I don't want to forget, I didn't write down I thought the title card sequence when she put them in the water and started to boil him, a bunch of fish was coming up, and then they started to zoom out. I thought they're gonna have the fish like all say the world.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'd like that. That's a bit fishy.
Speaker 1: I'd have to see it. But I thought that's what you're going with. But then we just got like Evil Dead.
Speaker 2: With That's like because that would be that would mean that that actually happened in the world.
Speaker 1: No, because in the last one, remember that this is the same character. And this is why I think it would have fit. That was the character that when she started to rise, the title card rose behind her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the title card doesn't exist in the world.
Speaker 1: You don't know that she could be rising.
Speaker 2: No, it does not. But if it was fish, that would that would be actual, and that dead nights are not that cinematic. They're not spelling out words of fish.
Speaker 1: I don't know. And I'm gonna say like, it's not like a clean, evil dead burn, but it's like the shape.
Speaker 2: Of it may make the Travis edit. I'm curious what I will.
Speaker 1: I'll try to work on that in the future. But Tay, what do you think about this opening?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was definitely not the same level as Rise, but I think that Yeah, it was a great intro.
Speaker 2: But at the same time I thought.
Speaker 3: It was it was cheeky and cheesy enough, like in the fishing hooks and whatnot, in the eyelids and stuff. Okay, that's that's pretty gross. That's uncomfortable. That's gonna be it's gonna be painful. You know, I've tangled with fishing line before. I'm a fisherman, so it's it's not something you want to mack around with, so.
Speaker 2: Fisherman.
Speaker 1: But uh, yeah, it's a k f one statement. I've never heard you talk about you fishing at all.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 3: I'll show you a whole bunch of pictures of me with the salmon. Oh my gosh, I got a whole archive of back in a day Vancouver Island. You know, it's a fisherman's fisherman's land.
Speaker 2: But I think that.
Speaker 3: Because you were talking about how did you guys word that just the the Deadite and just kind of like the power level and whatnot of them, And so I was trying to look into like the difference between you have the Candarian demon versus Deadite, and so the demon is that athro corporal entity that kind of moves around like that first person view and foams around or whatever, and then the dead eighte is that vessel that it possesses. But when I was trying to backtrack, because if we're dealing with this girl here from the apartment, so she is you have that mara I think it was called the Marauder from Evil Dead Rise, and that was that like combine thing, that mutan demon thing or whatever that was in the basement. So but I don't think that's the thing that infected the girl when she left the apartment building. So, but whatever was there, and that's where because you highlighted this in the the the non spoiler portion where there was no dead eight or specific.
Speaker 2: I guess what the fuck? You gotta go check on that, Taylor, the fire alarm. I'm just gonna mute fire alarm.
Speaker 1: You you would take a look into that. I like that he went up, you himself would not answer, just looked. Didn't even get up either.
Speaker 2: He just he still hasn't gone up for that.
Speaker 1: He still hasn't gone up.
Speaker 2: Okay, this so okay, this is fucked. I was saying this rapter nine. Okay.
Speaker 3: Two nights ago, we're sleeping and at four am, our door swings wide open and slams, and we both woke up or like, are you there, Satine? And Satina wasn't there? The door has never done that, We have no We walked around, we checked the whole place and we could not figure out what it was. And the next night, same time, the fire alarm triggers and we're like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: So now and it's hardline, it's not batteries, so it's not going to be going like you know, it does that if the battery is getting little, but it's hardwired into a power source. But now it's just it popped on there and then it stopped.
Speaker 2: So it's it's weird just turned off on its own. It just turned off on.
Speaker 3: Its own because Madison's sleeping on the couch. But it's weird because it's been backed by Setne saying that something's been tapping on her window.
Speaker 2: And there's something going on. So but the cat, what is happening? The cats haven't been acting up. And fine, when you say your door like your bedroom door, like your front door of your house, we were not the front door of the house, we'ld be fucking out of here. No, it was our bedroom door. So you have like a window open, like it must be some draft. Technical windows were closed.
Speaker 3: I thought it would be a draft. I walked down the hallway, but there was the fan that is against the wall over here. It's not powerful.
Speaker 2: How loud it close, like it's slammed. It's slammed.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was loud. That is terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's it's never never had it been like before ever Like, So we're we're trying to figure it out.
Speaker 2: We're trying to break down the facts and figure this ship out. No doubt, that's horrible, some weird ship. But that's gonna keep me up that's gonna keep me up more than this whole fucking movie.
Speaker 1: Just the thought of the same person tapping on the teens windows gonna be tapping on Dylan's window later on.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm gonna be all live stream. I would have a heart attack that happened. But where was I going with that?
Speaker 3: So the there's no standalone signature dead eyed as you guys were alluding to. That really kind of takes the cake here as being the main cheese. But for me, and this kind of goes back to the beginning here you have this this the Candarian demon is I'm gonna keep referring to here that infects and makes up the dead Dights, But the Candaren demon that is triggered It's like, oh, I'm sensing the dagger being unwrapped here at the start of the movie, So that demon is the same. Is just that demon overall is kind of possessing all the dead dits here. And so for me, when I was watching this, I took it as this demon was the thing that we're dealing with. Yes, you get the dead Heights that are popping up, the mom and the girlfriend and the dad, all that kind of stuff, But to me, they were all one and the same. It didn't feel like they were all individualized. It felt like they were all the same demon, the same candarian demon that was operating here. But I'm probably in a minority with that.
Speaker 2: I do feel like they had They all had a similar personality like once they were possessed, and a similar cadence to them. So I could I could see that being the case. M h. I couldn't give you a lower reason for why that happens, but I think that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could be right. And none of them felt like two dead dys So I see what you mean there, con temptation. I think, yeah, so that doesn't help me with the water boiling. But I like your theory, you know, because that's.
Speaker 2: That's something else that's powerful.
Speaker 1: You know. Why was it Ellie doing that last week? She just began through that house easy, she just boil like the house. But yeah, so we in this whole roundabout way the lady from Rye she gets hit by a car. As Dylan said, we picked back up, you know, earlier in the film. But something we didn't see between Alice and her boyfriend. I will get IMDb to get all these names out uh but uh start some of those clubs scene. I don't know, it just wasn't it wasn't. It was wasn't working for me.
Speaker 2: Way too rushed.
Speaker 1: I thought it was almost way too long, to be honest, Like, I don't know, it's just like something felt off. I think this was like a chemistry thing with almost all four of them, but definitely like the Alice and the boyfriend, Like I know, he wasn't in the movie much so you probably didn't need to have that like perfect but something here, and I feel like we didn't. We were missing on cues with these certain things of the I didn't know who's was the brother, who was the sister, who was date? Like it was strange, you know, we're talking about French hand jobs again, they know more French stuff.
Speaker 2: He gets, she like accident, she like kisses him. And that's like some point of dramas that I thought was gonna come back later in the movie, but it doesn't, which is weird.
Speaker 1: Because even when the boy the let me get dined to be so don't mess up these names, when the girl turns into the dead ord and she's I'll just say she's possessed.
Speaker 2: Later on the one that he Joseph and Tina are like that couple.
Speaker 1: So Tina later on when she's on the roof and she lands on Alice and she's like, I'm not gonna let you have all the men like you thought. I thought was implied. Okay, they are maybe having an affair or cheating, but like you said, we never got back to that.
Speaker 2: We never think she's just French with the reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was just a mistake, like they just like the accident bumped and yeah, he gets him this uh this thousand dollar pen, like I get it. But he's like, oh, help help to write your book. It's like, yeah, I laptop my work too, you know. But and then she just gets some like a picture and oh, I said our present ones I said, my present was from both. It's just like weird like relationship fight and stuff. And then yeah, they get in an argument. He drives drunk, so they just make it seem like he drove drunk, but yeah, he did hit the day. I'll give him that.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: Like the scene when the dates through the window he's trying to call the cops and the head rolls off and it's starting to talk and we've been looking for you and all that type of stuff, and we start to set up this, uh you know this the the dead Dights want, you know, this family. You though they might not be dead ights, Tim's just gonna be calling that they want something to do with this family. So but yeah, not all of this club scene. And they're talking really quiet too for such a loud club, I thought too.
Speaker 2: So there was definitely a few times I could not understand what the dialogue was. Specifically, it was like a dead dight talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Vincent Maria, we got that. The smash cut to the girl just twerking like it's just a full screen of the ass I was and I'm.
Speaker 2: Not saying compilation and grinding and all that, but there's.
Speaker 1: A lot of pop pop music in this movie. And you know what, as a pop supporter, didn't like it. Didn't like, I didn't like this an evil day going on?
Speaker 3: You know what's happening weird because when you get later onto like the dinner scene with the family, the mom is a dressing it like, oh, it's the restaurant, and and the restaurant for me.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Like you see the flashback scenes of when she actually gets like she gets the hot oil spilled all over her in the burns from her from her husband, and it's it's a kitchen, right, and she does the accounting as we learned for the restaurant. But it's not a restaurant, it's a nightclub, so there's a little consistency there both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, both you can order food at the nightclub.
Speaker 1: And some some you can't, Like that's a very choice, but no I did that, like, oh you got a care like it's sick. I guess just the accounting, Like I had nothing nothing to do with that going on there, but uh yeah. And then we get a funeral scene. There's some humor here, the construction and whatnot, and we meet the family and yeah, again this is weird for me, Like I didn't get that for the dad. I get what they're going for, this angle of you know, the better son, but like that could just be the dead eights speaking the grandma. Like I never chuckled at the jokes they are doing here, but they weren't offensive. I liked them, Like, okay, so.
Speaker 2: Well you chuckled at the grandma chuckle? Uh what was it there was?
Speaker 1: I believe, I'll say a chuckle, But I don't mean like I'm slapping the knee like dying with everything here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then the anchor on this family, the fucking mom character. I'm sorry. Writing wise, what a disaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was super weak for sure.
Speaker 1: All over as far as like we don't get enough of her relationship with Alice again, talk about things are going too long, the makeout scene with her dead like dead her husband, just like I get they're trying to gross you up. It's the point like okay, just like god, like we've been doing this for five seconds, I'm not there anymore.
Speaker 2: You haven't kissed me like that in so long.
Speaker 1: And she'd go back and forth, she would go down there, she's with the dadites.
Speaker 2: I thought I'm gonna start having sex. I thought they're gonna start having sex. I really did.
Speaker 1: That's next.
Speaker 2: That's great. Quickly going back to the funeral, just six's question and maybe everyone knows this and I just don't. When you cremate a body, do you typically cremate them inside of a coffin. That's my knowledge, not unless that seems wasteful and jury the coffin, But you would cremate the remains, right, But this guy was he was loading that whole coffin in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And they also would not as far as I know, they would not unload the body while the family was still there. They would wait for them to go or leave the room and then move there, like because they do the scene where he's like trying to lift the casket but it's not working and they're trying to go for they would for a lot of calming in here with the construction going on and the speech is there, and this is where stuff like again, nothing was like terrible, but I was not laughing at any of this stuff. Really.
Speaker 2: It was more like it was like, you know, it was a cringe cringe humor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yes, the coffin is burned right along with the body during the cremation process. Once the coffins stealed the funeral home, it's not reopened today.
Speaker 2: Interesting. That seems like a tremendous The creeditorium strictly requires a combustible container like wood, wicker, cardboard for safety and dignity.
Speaker 1: Dignity. I'm dead, I don't know, so wait a minute, like, so you can have dignity for dead. I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm gone. You know, it's fine.
Speaker 3: The chamber temperatures reach seven hundred and sixty degree celsius to thirteen hundred degree celsia, So the coffin is entirely consumed.
Speaker 2: So are the coffins. Maybe they're constructed in a way such that it like enhances the burning experience.
Speaker 3: Maybe you get like a cedar or something like that, so you get them a whiff, you know, a nice sentch or something that.
Speaker 2: Is kind of nice in a way. It's like a nature. But then I guess the remains that anyone would have and an urn, it's like mostly coffin in there. It's all wood.
Speaker 1: That's so you're saying, when I here cream, when I die, they have to put me in a box. I can't.
Speaker 2: You could do well, like I said, wood, wicker or cardboard.
Speaker 1: I gotta be in.
Speaker 2: Go down like solid.
Speaker 1: Some juices, Yeah, some juices flowing into that cardboard.
Speaker 2: But that's on, go box, chuck them in.
Speaker 1: Actually I would love not that my family set up for it, but I would love to go qua gon Gin style, just like everyone like puts me around and then you burn me.
Speaker 2: Everyone has to stand there. I respect that.
Speaker 1: I respect that, even though I've always said all my funeral will be fun. I don't want to be mop I want like jokes made my spend. Yeah, maybe not that part may that's that's the day.
Speaker 2: But like the cedar coffin kind of encapsulates, it cooks you in there. Yeah, I need you guys to put me on the boat and send me out and then shoot the fire arrow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, I'll start working on it.
Speaker 2: I was thinking. I was thinking the boat from the opening of this movie. I'm like, you want to be on that boat. I'm not going on that boat with the fish and everything.
Speaker 1: No, the hot water. Oh yeah, but then we got more coming here. The guy is putting in music and he's like dance into the fire and stuff, and then the dad knocks, Oh, I gotta gotta say goodbye to my son. Okay, you only have five minutes. He's knock and then I guess the cremation guy gets killed off screen, and other than the end credit, we never come back to this. There's just like a full of murder takes place and no one it's not even like, oh he gets killed at like Hitman forty seven styles. Secretly, yeah, ashes are being or earns are being broken. There's blood, it's super loud, and then we kind of got similar to what we got and rise where rise, Like if you take damage from the possessed one, that's when you started to turn right. Similar here. I guess I don't think the dad got damaged, but I guess he got spoken to with then he.
Speaker 3: Got burned, right because this guy is right with the Sun's hand came out and like infected him.
Speaker 2: So it's like, okay, now he's he's tapped and I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Like at this point, if your loved one is about to be put in the crematory, it's not like back in the eighteen hundreds when they rung a bellt like I'm still lively. It's like, son, you in this it's still.
Speaker 3: It's still a thing like people people have woken up just before being put in the in the flames.
Speaker 2: So I don't doubt that at all.
Speaker 1: Find me, find me the most recent I've heard of that, for sure, I've heard that. That's okay, no, actually stop no, stop stop stop. He was burned to a fucking crisp, remember he like.
Speaker 2: You know you're grieving, you you know that sometimes people can survive.
Speaker 1: No, his his car explodes, he goes up in the smitherys.
Speaker 2: I got you, I Got you.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: November twenty twenty five, temple workers in Thailand heard knocking from a coffin moments before cremation. They opened it to find a sixty five year old bedridden woman alive. Her brother, who believed she had passed away two days prior, had taken her to the Wat Rat Prak Kong Tam for cremation.
Speaker 1: Again, this body was fully burned. They're not.
Speaker 2: It was burned, but it was burned. It was only burned such that it was still able to be removed and put into a coffin without it like being melted to the car or just completely blown up. He was only worse too, and burnt like burn wise, I really don't because when he's walking around, he's like got half a ribcage. Just let's imagine on fire. You know, he's he's cooked.
Speaker 1: He literally cooked.
Speaker 2: But to be fair, had had the dad seen that to that point?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Probably right, None of those body of the family had seen what his body.
Speaker 1: If you said, if if if the police came and said, like, hey, your friend Dylan died in the car explosion, I don't think that's gonna be a case where Dylan might knock on the coffin right before, but then if.
Speaker 2: But then, if Dylan shows up in a coffin, you'd be like, well, I guess there's enough of Dylan's body that, like there's a body still. I guess, I guess a lot of cremation logistics.
Speaker 1: This is our face hangout for the movie is the cremation part.
Speaker 2: So I will, I'll just jump us ahead, jumps us around. But I think for me, the highlight dead eight if you will, is definitely Edgar the Father. I think he I mean, he probably gets the most because he's like the main one, like for the first like half an hour before everyone else gets infected as well. But I liked his presence. I thought he did a pretty good job. I thought he could be scary. I just like the way that they kept, you know, changing the look like his He looked just more and more disheveled as time went on, and like his face was like molding. It seemed like, at certain times like he scared me more than a couple of the other ones who weren't necessarily as like I was never really scared of the mom. I was never really scared of like the Joseph the son who no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wasn't even one for too long. Even he was just like a couple of couple, not.
Speaker 2: Even really scared of Grandma really, but like you know, the dad, he was able to get the fear going on because of his intense presence, So I'll give him that. I think he was the highlight for me of the of the evil team and just the self inflicting damage too. When he's standing there and just.
Speaker 3: Like blows his head three times, that's kind of just to create fear and he just stands out there, which again with his dog Max. I can't remember the last time i've I know it's a thing. I know it's existed, but I can't pinpoint exactly. But the demon infecting animals and like him standing there with his dead eyed dog, that was It's just a crazy scary kind of combo to see.
Speaker 1: It's a call Doutey's skin right there, you know it is that's skin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't remember.
Speaker 1: There's been other animals that have been Yeah, I think even the show, it's happened like Army.
Speaker 2: Of Darkness had like some horses or something. I don't like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was on the for the deads. I was on the Tina bandwagon. I like my dead ight it's a little more playful and her doing some of the sexy stuff. I think they could have went more with it, but I very much.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed cone with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like drink the candle though, that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like was she was licking Gramma's dentures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they could have went harder on that. Like I got what it was. They affected the grandma, but when she put the danders back in, it was like completely clean. When she pulled out her mother, there's like a string of blood. I think they should have for effect, Like those dentures should have been just drippen in ash and blood, and you put that in there because it's of course it's a grosser moment, but I didn't like gross out, gross me up. But no, My favorite was the dishwasher because not only does he take the plunge under the knives, standing up like straddles him and talks about being his first time and all that stuff. So I like when dead heightes are playful and they're kind of like little asshole. So that's what I appreciated. But then she got taken out. She got to smash in the head and that's where again, like even the Joseph thing. Later on, Edgar brings him back and like find out where his dagger is. He just he shoves the face and the broken face that's where one of these things, like, eh, I think this is gore for the sick of gore, you know, like it's like, okay, he's shoving his face into this broken skull. It just didn't like it didn't work for me to win. But it's like okay, And that's another storyline too for me, is the Joseph is a coward storyline? Like what were we what were we doing with that?
Speaker 2: I didn't know he couldn't kill his dad, but he could kill his girlfriend.
Speaker 1: But what have the story because that at the end of the movie, it's not like him and Alice are working together the way I thought. And even though I'm still mixed on it, you look at something like Barbarian right, just as long as characters, He's made out to be a coward. And then he meets our protagon this he tries to save her and then in the end, when the Mama comes up, you know, spoils that movie. He decides to be a coward again and tries to sacrifice her. Right, So that plays in the third act that movie. So that makes sense. How does Joseph be in a cow or scared?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna like survive in the end and we're gonna go on some full journey and then that doesn't end up happening, or.
Speaker 1: Even him sacrifice himself for Alice to like, oh, he'll full like full, he has been a cow that up to this, Like I'll get.
Speaker 2: The knife and throw it to you and have something heroic moment like that. No, No, he's just he doesn't even tell her where it is. No, he just says go find it.
Speaker 1: And she just kills him and he falls because I was in and again too, It's weird. It's like they didn't want to go full on because horror movies do this all the time, right, let's as stash the asshole and do some fun asshole stuff with him. When his dad is just beating up Tina and he's about to kill her and you just in the bag, which I like the shot you just see in the back he's like crawling out of that car.
Speaker 2: He shoots out the fucking skylight.
Speaker 1: He's out of there. He's out of there and he's like watching his girlfriend get him planted by the car seat. But that's where it's like, Okay, we're gonna get this movie now where he's gonna constantly turn on his mom, turn on hous like he's gonna be selfish. And I thought too, they were gonna play into that because they did this weird moment where he when he kills Tina, he has something big and he is a dishwasher. Yeah right, the dishwasher. Right. He's doing that over and over and it encapsulates crushes her skull. And then at that moment they have Alice have a flashback to win will was the name right of the bad boyfriend that won the past right or will yeah? Yeah uh. She has a flashback to their argument when he got the oil on her. So I thought they're trying to go with, Oh, Joseph's also a piece of prick. He's just like a nicer version of that, because I thought it was her realizing like, even though it's a dead he's like going really hard on killing this girl. And she even said like, oh, you killed me so easy, but not your dad. But no. Then the next thing they're just talking and making a plan and not the game without either. So I just I don't know, and I don't mind that Joseph actor. Also he's got a he got a raw deal and Daredevil that's muse if you don't remember. Yeah, yeah, he's in Wednesday. So the things that I've liked him in, I even this, I don't think he's bad in here. But yeah, I don't know what was going on with Joseph's character. I don't know what they're trying to tell me with that one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't know if I can blame the acting or writing on that one. Probably a little bit of both, but probably mostly mostly the writing. But yeah, that was definitely a extremely underwhelming character for me. It just doesn't really make sense in the end. But yeah, I think you're right. Tina does have some good moments, some good dead eye moments, for sure. She's certainly number two for me behind every Like even when she shows up back at the house and then like pushes the car the car like pillow thing like back out through her head. Yeah, that moment's really great. And yeah, just like some of it, she's like a bit more whimsical, which I think you make a good point there of like sometimes that is what these dead ights are all about, which she's like lining the house with gasoline and talking about like commentary on like some of the images and the pictures and things like that. So yeah, she's a she's a. I thought she was gonna come back even though her head was bashed, and I thought she was gonn to have like one last moment where then she would get like stabbed by the knife. I thought everyone was gonna get stabed by the knife and that's how they would die for good, which obviously they the grandma at least was able to crawl away from that, and maybe the other ones are too because they didn't get hit with the knife specifically. I don't know. Yeah, well I got I got two things. First question, are you guys knives up in a dishwasher households? Because I'm not. And it's like, how are you supposed to grab the knife out after it's clean? Like that's just fucked very easily.
Speaker 1: But I don't think about it. I just throw stuff in the dishwasher.
Speaker 2: I would say, it's not that bad knives up. Well, if it's a butter knife, Ah, yeah, butterknife.
Speaker 1: I agree, But even stay knife. There's a whole back of like smooth. You just that's what I do. You just grabbed that way.
Speaker 2: Okay. I feel like I have the perception that they get cleaner if they're if they're sharp up, but I don't know if that's true at all. So I believe that's true, but I don't know. Just those blades in my.
Speaker 1: Blades, ma'am. I don't know if this is gonna be similar to Alien Romulus, because I feel like that had that pushback. How do you guys feel about we're talking about the Dead? How do you feel about William's form of the He's burned up, He's like our final boss.
Speaker 2: Didn't like. I hated that so much. To me, that was so unevil deadlight on how the CGI looked really bad. It looked so goofy. It looked like some corny like sci fi series, not Evil Dead.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: So I back that and also CGI dog like. I would have probably preferred without dog because I think some of that just didn't look great. But in particular I like and I was also ready for the movie to end. At that point, I was like, okay, cool, we had our final moment. Maybe it wasn't the most climbact was good enough, and then we have like this other like ten to fifty minute sequence, which you know was fine at the construction site or whatever. But uh yeah, I really didn't like that look at all. That was a real, real disappointment for me at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Taylor, you also nailed it. The voice was very Bekna, very stranger thing sort of thing today. Were you positive on this at all?
Speaker 3: Not really, but I get it like Evil Did twenty thirteen had that big boss at the end, right, and then Rise has the Marauders. So I guess the gimmick now is Evil Dead movies just have to have that big boss centric character at the end.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I feel like it's funny we did the retro this year we're doing for the movies and then me and dal and top about the games. I feel like it's very like Resident Evil type where there's just certain things where you're like, ah, he doesn't feel like Resident Evil. And that's where I'm in your guys' camp. Like I I really did not like Will's form and like the whole cause, like I think I would wouldn't mind if they were if let's say they get to another Evil Dead a couple movies or they do a big crossover and it's like, oh, we're fighting like the literal devil something that that's like, okay, I guess he's been like a final boss, but it just to be some like random abusive, drunk guy and he gets to be like this like devil former. He has like firepowers and all the stuff. I don't know I needed. I need more of why this guy would be.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 1: And again too, there's at one point where he's looking for Alice and he just takes her. I'm like, oh shit, she's done and he just throws her. It's like, what do you like? Like you're like a fire guy, like you can't just burn? Like it felt very uh plot armory that whole third act for Alice and her getting around in coast and.
Speaker 3: So and how many times you gonna say like where's the dagger? And you know, she throws the fake one and they asked the hot and he's looking for it. I thought that was a little chesy for it.
Speaker 1: And it's like, what's that supposed to really do? Because like he's already he really hot, so it's not gonna like hurt him or anything, right.
Speaker 3: Like, but it was just distract him so that she gets right, I guess, get the drill thing, which the whole construction scene at the start, It was just it was a major foreshadow because I'm looking at this and how they're emphasizing the main like Tea's just staring at.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 2: What do you call it? Like a pile driver? I think it's a pile driver? This guy just using it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, okay, well, clearly this is gonna come back full circle, which it did because you think that she's gonna grab the chainsaw to use on on fire guy, but no, it's the pile driver comes down and she just drills.
Speaker 1: But no, she also uses the other thing to or is about the pile driver that that she.
Speaker 2: Like a jackhammer? I don't know, jack camer not the pile driver. That's a wrestling move, isn't that. And then she has like a weed whacker like earlier moves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we yeah. There's just so many times that frustrating this movie with the character would have a weapon and then it's gone, Like at one point she has the dagger and she I'm gonna go over because I have multiple complaints, but she has a dagger. She kills Joseph. He's gone, and then the mother she pops up fun jump scare. She's looking down, jumps up, so she starts to climb in. Instead of like, okay, dagger again, she like holst is the dagger. She takes the whole weed whacker. She's climbing through the chimney to get to the other chimney. I'm like, what are you doing, Like, well, you have like the golden gun, you have like whatever, And then of course she gets one step up the dagger fucking like you have that, Like you have that dagger your fucking butt cheeks, you don't leave it? Like that's where that whole thing. And then the construction site there was just too many, Like we really want to do a set piece where the dad gets his head cut off in the chimney, so we got to just have her do x Y and Z. It just didn't feel natural. Even at one point when they were fighting and they had her face up and this happened like MIT's mints Ago. She just looks down the ground and the pen's randomly there, so oh well I got the pen and then like uses that, which that to me was I think that was actually the most brutal one was the pen in the ear.
Speaker 2: That was the hardest thing for me to watch.
Speaker 1: Yea, the sound effects too. They used like that idea like yeah, you hearing stuff or like you got water in your ears. But that's great, But then you have that scene where like, oh, you know whatever, Will's mom like chainsaw his face and she goes, sorry, Alice, I gotta do this. She gets interrupted, al saves her, and then the second staves are like two minutes later she's like, I'm a dad. I it's just that mother kid bug me again, like the mother.
Speaker 2: I think it was the same similar situation like the Dad, where it was just that long on set deadite thing where it just took a while to kind of like seep in her because it was the same like the dad got burned on the arm and you could see the one eye get infected and it took a while from to turn, and the same thing here when they were macing, the one eye on her face turned and it took a while for her to actually like transition into a deadite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just mean some of the decisions, like I felt like the and I get it she's a mother grieving, But I think we need some better written scenes of her even as a human. I wasn't ing.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not justifying her because I was gonna say boomers, but that's not very fair because it's just she was just pissing me off every step of the way, every decision she was doing. When she was gonna listen to Grandma and turn that chainsaw, and I was getting fucking pissed.
Speaker 2: But it again, the main character here.
Speaker 3: What irked me was she's walking, She's got the fucking weapon, She's got it gassed up, ready to go, it's turned on.
Speaker 2: She puts it down. Yeah, picks up the picture frame. What the fuck? Dad? Yeah, it was so stupid. Yeahed me so much. I think that's like I appreciate the idea of like, Okay, what's like a chainsaw, but isn't a chainsaw? We'll do something fresh and new here. Then it's like, there's a reason movies like this use a chainsaw instead of a weed whacker, because it's just a much more cinematic weapon. It's less awkward and clunky. It's not some big long stick. So yeah, I think the weed whacker was just a bit too uh clunky for my liking, and then I think it was a little on the nose when they had that moment of the construction site when she's like pulling on some random string and there's like two things attached to it, and one's a chainsaw, one's the jackhammer, and she goes with the I like that she picks the new one. I guess I don't know if she really picked it, just kind of that's what fell to her. Uh, But yeah, maybe trying a bit too hard to do the same but be something new, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think for me my issue is now we had obviously, yes, ash chainsaw, he uses it, he gets as a hand, we get it right. In twenty thirteen they do that and me it gains and that movie ends with that like dead eight version of herself right when it's like the evil version that's blood raining and amazing shot, right when she has the chainsaw on the head and it's going and there's blood everywhere. And then we get the same thing and Rise where I can't remember there's Ellie and I can't remember her sister, which was the main character who was pregnant at the time, but samely happens with her where it's okay, the big things formed. Then okay, chainsaw out the head and they throw them in the big like weed whack not weed whack or what is the like a tree when you put things through u witchper Yeah, and then that goes everywhere. And even though it's on a chainsaw, it's the same thing with the jackcamera. It's you have a character and they're gonna oh and blood, and especially this time, it's like, this guy's burnt to a crisp. Why is he shooting out blood everywhere? Just for me? Like thematically it doesn't make sense. But this is now Like I was fine then in twenty thirteen, because it's like, oh, we haven't done a Evil Dead movie since the early nineties, so we're gonna do these tributes. Now. It's like we've had three movies in the row with the third act having the hero have a some sort of electric automate or object just cuts through the characters and when they get covered in blood, I'm really, I'm I'm doone. I'm over. It's not you know, twenty thirteen except rise, Okay, it's been out of ten years, three years, al right, I've had my film. No more, like that's a new way, even if it's a change, So I just do it in a different way, right, just not no more of the character. The villains on their knees and they're just getting sawed to pieces. I just like at this point it just kind of like rinse and repeat. That's where it feels like that kind of like superhero stuff. Of all, right, we've seen it's a superhero landing, the hero gets their costume in the third act, it says, Okay, what we have to do. We gotta find this object and cut them up, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I mean even you know, anytime you're just seeing like a horror movie, there's always like suspension of disbelief because characters kind of have to be stupid. They don't have to be. But this is just, you know, it's a trope within the genre characters that are being stupid. One that really bothered me is is again this dinner scene, which I think was really good for a bit there, and then I think it kind of falters with the end of it. But like it does get to the point where the dad it's freaking out, to the point where he stabs and kills the dog in front of everyone. And then after this you know two of the characters are they get out of there right, But then like Alice is like, yeah, I guess I'll go throw the stuff out, and the mom's like, yeah, I better, you know, put put the leftovers in the trash, and they just go back to their regular call me just stabbed and killed a dog, and you guys are just acting as if like, Okay, there's a limit.
Speaker 1: To what's allowed with any If he's then it's like k professional help.
Speaker 2: Let's like I only want to give it pass to his grandma because she doesn't know what's going on. But yeah, yeah, some of that was like what it's hard for me to like invest in any of these characters or believe in any of them or really be like I just didn't care when anyone died or turned because I didn't, you know, other than Alice, but then she doesn't. Of course I was moving for her to some extent, but no one else they really care if they had a successful fate before the dad kills the dog, which I hated. That sucks with it killed dogs in the movies.
Speaker 3: But he everyone's like everyone is visually noticing that he's very unstable because he's like eyeing the corkscrew, he's grabbing the knife. He's getting angry, so they like this quickly, like they pull the utensils away from him, and then there's just one quick cut scene of him reaching like across the table slowly and grabbing the corkscrew.
Speaker 2: I'll take that, like hunched and slouched over to Yeah, he's literally so out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all, I got a question for you guys. After Snack's outbreak and we're back, so I get it people are grieving that stuff's going on. But even with my father in law, who you know, like, I'm not like the close with the you know it's him, There's no way. And this is before all the scary stuff happens, right, there's no way. If I see my father in law cutting himself in the basement, I'm just like I'll keep this, and you just like and he's like, oh, don't tell my wife, you know, no fucking way. I'm I'm upstairs immediately being like your dad needs help, we gotta go. We like, I'm not, We're not gonna go. And that's where it's like, I like the Al's character. There's nothing egregiously wrong with her, but that and I get she's also greened, but that's one where it's like, Okay, the dude needs some help. You cannot sit there. This guy was and it's not like a economy was maybe gonna do it. Even if that was the case, I would still be we're going to hospital, We're getting to help. This guy has taken gashes out of his hand, and she's like, I'll hold on to this good stut. Yeah, I just And that's where that for me was the first sign in this movie of like, I think we're playing with the different deck of cards in this Evil Dead movie, Like these characters all around are gonna be a bit more like, oh, what's going on? And I think that always works better when it's more comedic, though, because when it's comedy, it's like, oh, they're idiots. That's what happens in Evil Dead too, right, Oh they're dummies. Where this it's like, they're not supposed to be dummies. They're supposed to be real people. But that was I couldn't get on board with her not saying a single word to like Joseph like and because it's not like that's the other thing too, if she was we did a movie where her husband dies and she goes see this family and she's not really close with any of them, then I'd maybe kind of get it, but they established that, like she's hanging out with Joseph on a birthday, she seems friendly with Tina, So there's alationship there where, even if it's Tina the other person on the part of the family not to pull her aside and be like, Okay, this has happened, like what should I do? So right there, My kind of believability went out the window for this movie, even though again it's demons and possession and stuff, but still you need to have some various familitude going on.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I totally agree. Travis. You mentioned the pen in the ear, which, yeah, for me was probably the most tough scene to watch. The second one for me was definitely when we're in the bathroom with Alice and the mom she gets the razor and she's just shred and skin off her face. I had to look away. That was that. That one got me. Taylor, you said this movie was less brutal. What was what was the peak brutalness for you? Is there anything that you had to squeamish about You had to look away when Buddy's lying on the dish track and then takes the corkscrew and it's like dragging.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm surprised I got you because I just feel.
Speaker 2: Like they held on it for a long time. So that Yeah, it's just it's the it's the one my theater reacted to that one, for sure.
Speaker 3: It's the mental thought of just the it being if I've seen horror movies and action movies, you know, guys getting their their throats, slit with knives.
Speaker 2: I've seen that.
Speaker 3: But it's the fact that it was the cork screw and it's a point, but she's dragging like it's the coil across.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, god damn.
Speaker 1: That was the other one that I got Taylor big time, which I was surprised. The fingers in the car was brutal. Yeah, Taylor, you looked you were like.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was just so quick because like I just had hands and doors due for me for some reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it didn't get me there, But shout out to Tina before. She is a dead eye man. She takes a lot of damage and she's still kicking. She's like John Wick over there, her hands.
Speaker 2: She was like the most normal person I think of the crew too, and the most sensible.
Speaker 1: She's missing a bunch of fingers and she's still fighting off this demon dad with DROs.
Speaker 2: It's like, I don't know what with like the shittiest boyfriend ever who's not doing anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, shout out to a RepA Tina in her face didn't not make it in the next movie.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I want to shout out here.
Speaker 3: So the family here, this kind of stems from the grandfather kind of creating and introducing this dynamic of the family and having to hide the family, keep his daughter safe by having this weapon protect them.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He's part of the what was it called, like the middle circle or something like that.
Speaker 1: The Circle of wise Men circle WI. Yeah, so that's what we call ourselves behind closed doors and we're planning for geek for stuff. The Circle of Unwise.
Speaker 3: Men now on the wall and I pointed to this because like a gideo butt it, but you see Bruce Campbell and old elder Bruce Campbell, and I want to picture frames on the wall and he's also apparently in another quick frame as well. So I'm speculating, like, okay that Bruce Campbell's the grandfather.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought that was when they looked at the photo that was the older Bruce Campll when you're talking about the frame on the stairs, he just looks like Bruce Campbell right now, who is older.
Speaker 3: But like, yeah, the picture of Bruce Campbell, it's just a picture of Bruce Campbell older. But I mean, like it would makes sense that this is the little family home, so he'd have to be the grandfather.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I don't know what. I don't think anything's gonna come of that. I think he's he's kind of he nicely part away from the series. He kind of did the whole like this isn't my evil dead sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the characters are relevant because we're moving this no more. Yeah, like so we're moving.
Speaker 3: Away from that character. Obviously they've introduced like a new narratives moving forward. But I think like in retrospect, I think they just threw it in there for fans to probably just kind of head Kennon like like this character that you don't ever see, you just hear his voice and you just kind of get to know he introduced this problem because he's got experience with it, would be Bruce Campbell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like like Olsoe, it's happening now, like one. I hope he's good because I know he's going through the cancer treatments and whatnot right now, and he says it seems on their control, but still hopefully all well. The Bruce Campbell, I think because of that help something. And I think also because yeah, he did put out of the statement this year that he's kind of left the franchise. I thought we were working towards. Yeah, Beth was her name, and Evil that Rise. I was really down for the idea of doing it, especially we'll get to the end credit of getting Mia from twenty thirteen, Bethroom Rise and him all together to take on something. I still think there is juice to get and I actually think there would be really as much as I want them to do something a bit more comedic go around, I think there would be something very funny to Bruce Campbell back in one that's more serious, Like if he's like the lighthearted colmednything, but he's stuck in like a dead ass, really gross sort of evil dead movie, Like how does that character he already reacts to the Grissman, how does he react when he is seeing this type of stuff. I think there's tons of potential there. But yeah, he's even said that too, like, yeah, they had hits without me, so they don't need So it makes me sad that we're probably never gonna get ash again. And I know they did a lot three movies a series, but we're getting this renaissance. And I like that he's having these little cameos, but it makes me feel a little bad of like, yeah, he's just kinda like left in the dust, you know, so I but it sounds like he had like some notes and they didn't. They weren't really interested in his notes. So he's like, well, I guess I'm out at here.
Speaker 2: This one specifically all Evil Dead like this.
Speaker 1: In the next one, he kind of I said that he just wasn't a fan of the way they're kind of I think what I'm worried is that they are just trying to like let's just go, Let's just let's make them you know, like I said, we'll get the end credits, but just a lot of this movie does feel like, hey, it's the Evil Dead universe now. It's like yeah, and maybe that for him.
Speaker 2: Was like we is definitely know what Rimes felt like at the time.
Speaker 1: No, it didn't. But because it made so much money, I think they're like, oh, look what we got here. You know, every three years and held dead movie, you know, so, but who knows, you never know, maybe he'll come back.
Speaker 2: But my last notes were just for the credit stuff.
Speaker 1: Actually, okay, let me think anything before credits that you think of.
Speaker 2: Mmm, I don't think I got anything else.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think if there's any good kills or anything anything that we're missing.
Speaker 3: Well, the I will say too, I wish we got a little bit more of it because they showed us as a preview when they put out I think the trailer before freeal Dead burns. But you see when the main actress with Tia when she's crawling and the mom's house Alice, thank you. Yeah, so the mom and her son are basically fighting dad, and you get that whole cool film.
Speaker 2: The water. Yeah, the water.
Speaker 3: So then you get the brief moment where the mom gets thrown and the brother or the son grows up and it is like trying to help her, and then you see the dad floating dead height style. That's the only time that that happens. The rest of stuff is like they're crawling out the.
Speaker 2: Walls on the ceiling.
Speaker 3: She does, but it's none of the blanket, but it's not that same like in Evil Dead too, you get that like the feet floating above the ground moving kind of like gliding thing, and that's that's that aesthetic is just so fucking ominous and I just that's just a big evil Dead kind of thing and I would have loved to have had more of that, But I think in this case it works great. Being kind of off to the side, using your perpherle vision in the background. It makes it a lot more terrifying.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's one that I couldn't. I get it. This mom's going through stuff, but I I couldn't buy into like her mom's like floating in the sky and she's like hugging her like I wish then they spent more time on hitting the mom being like super religious and super like.
Speaker 2: They do it a little bit, but she's just super fucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but she's still human at this point. She's like, Oh, we can all be together. So that was something very weird. Type of a pacing story thing is when they before Tina gets her head crushed, she's finding the entire family, right and they have the scene where al SE's the stun double, but Tina has the Mom and she is throwing her against the wall to the point where she breaks the wall and breaks the mom through her. Granted they only see the mom. She's limping a little bit, but she's like making tea, She's getting the grandall set up for Vet. It's like, I don't know this woman. I think is maybe in her fifties sixties. If I'm right now in my theories, if you put me through a wall, I think I'm like, I'm not moving for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of the walls were paper. There's black mold everywhere. This house was just falling up.
Speaker 1: We got married here and it's just going of oar. But yeah, I just thought it was funny that she just like a getting destroyed. This movie with the mom keeps and back up there's that ghost again there and then the other thing again. And what made me romanz a little bit too is when they threw a teena into the I was happy we didn't get too much of it. When they threw into the basement and locked as like, oh no, are we doing We're doing this again? And they didn't really, They just had that one scene with the grammar of like, oh, you're gonna give me back my money, and that's why I did like that. It's like, oh, yeah, sure, I'll give you back what you need. Yeah, that was good. But again that's just like the chain so sort of thing. I was like, all right, I really need some new environments I need I need some new stuff happening in Evil Dead. No more basements, no more chainsaws, no more this or that.
Speaker 2: You know. So yeah, and again that's like a character thing too, of like what's your guys's planned, Like you just locked her up there and you hope that that's gonna just work out for you after you And and.
Speaker 1: Two funny phone bits where it's it's fine, I can just say it's dead height magic, but like all this stuff goes down and of course just like throws down his phone no signal and big things okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like full screen no signals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's like, okay, I could buy it, and I had to putting out some of the ways. Like the one that was funny for me is like at the end, Whale's chasing her construction and I like all the stuff. I like the red sky of the fire when she's running the road. I had some really cool visuals. It's just her shadow and silhouette and the entire sky, like very cool stuff. She gets a construction site and she finds a walkie talking. She's trying to call for help, and it's like, what's that I'm gonna do with? Like this is like even the other dead 's I kind of understand. This guy is like ghost Rider. What's gonna have the cops gonna show up and like shoot him to death? I don't know again, it was just just just some laughs or anything, but I think that's everything I have. I'm trying to think there's anything I'm missing. I'm sure might come up again in the future, but you're right there with your alarm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Madison didn't make it, but I'm here still do.
Speaker 1: Kidding he's going on And so we get two end credits here for Evil Dead. Burn obviously ends with which, Oh that's the thing, Taylor, because I don't think Dylan, you've seen this movie super weird. The ending of this movie is identical to Ready or Not. She's in there, We're all covered in blood. She asked for a cigarette. She's got like a broke hands.
Speaker 2: She spoke it.
Speaker 1: She makes a joke about her ex husband or the family. I was like, this is exactly like.
Speaker 2: A movie's like that. But I can't think of other examples. But that's funny.
Speaker 1: They could be, Yeah, I guess because it's more recent one. I was just like, no one thought of this, but anyway, so that's what happened. She in another weird moment, she stabs him with the day or. He turns back to regular Will says, I love you. That's not enough, kills him. Oh yeah, at least she didn't kiss him. I was really worried it was gonna be bad. But okay, sure she does that. Police people show up. We don't know what happens, but she seems to be safe. She go in the hospital. Great, we got two any crets here, I'm inn in a post credit the mid just a fun one. The grandma is still on the loose. I think that's gonna set up for however, deadlight'smooth again. Because she has no legs. Someone pulls over to help her, says, all your legs look like they'll do fine, and then scratch her knee. So of course she's infected, so that's going. And then the other one is we go back to the funeral home, so it's like, okay, what are we doing here because these characters, they don't have anything to do, especially the it's just the person that was like the give in the yulgi. I'm not sure if she's like a person of the cloth. Probably yeah, oh yeah, there you go funeral director and it's her their daughter, and they're some tumble life and death and like, oh we keep what's all these Oh we keep all these urns because people don't come and pick up the remains and whatnot. Yet that we keep him here. Uh that she gets a call and like, oh, I gotta this is probably for that whatever job the guy that got killed the what are the cremator guy, because she's replacing him, right, Oh, it's probably something for the cremation job. Shows she leaves her daughter in this room with all these urns, starts to look at them, and then we see one name. I can't remember it is, but I remember the name being Okay, that's link to rights.
Speaker 2: And then we see it's like Ellie right.
Speaker 1: Well, no to the first one. They show another one. It's like one of the kids, I think because they have different names with the father yeah, and then it is yeah, and then it is Ellie. So Elissa Sidlen is back in the scene, the daughter of this kid whatever shakes the urn and then you hear some speaking and then she looks in the mirror. You see regular Ellie. She's looking all you know, mom, gorgeous woman moving around, gets her to touch her finger, touches her finger, lights go out. Then behind her there's al but now she's in dead ye form snaps a kid's neck and not even like in a way where it's like oscreen and the shows let it snap track. They zoom in on that kid, but it's like evil dead. They don't care. And then they say or and then Ellie goes Mama's back. I'm of two minds of this because this movie was missing that anchor. So if you tell me, hey, we're gonna get more Melissa Southern than the future as Ellie, that's that's great because I know that character's locked, Like, I think there's great stuff you can do there. But at the same time, we already got rides and I feel like that story is complete. I guess there's something you can do there, because if you remember her sister Beth was pregnant, so maybe there's something where you pick up where it's them years later. She's had her kid, the other kid's grown up, and now her sister's coming back again. Whatever. Maybe she could be the big bat of like what people are pitching if we were to get like you know, you know, uh Ash and me and all them back together and that's who, because I feel like she's clearly the biggest like dead eight bad guy that the series have had. It just felt so ems you like that. It's like, I don't know how I feel about this. I'm very torn of like I like a list of some of them haven't seen anything else. Her is this dead eyed alley. She's gonna kill it and that'll be tons of fun getting more of her. But do I want her to be like the Loki fanos of building up? I don't know. This for me is gonna be all about execution the future. But yeah, how did you feel about this? Stillon?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I uh, it really did nothing for me. It feels pretty forced. It's not like a particularly amazing scene either. No, so yeah, I definitely definitely didn't need this, and I kind of wish they just omitted it in general. To me, it also, yeah, just doesn't really doesn't really feel very evil deady. So yeah, it felt a little forced, a little inorganic. I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you, Taylor, You said you had some questions, So I.
Speaker 3: Have questions because I just don't understand like she's she's back in a physical form, I guess, But I just don't know why they would have pursued this, because you're right, Rise had that story start to finish and it wrapped it up up and then we got that tie in being the girl at the beginning of this movie in the lake. I thought that was a great connection. It's leading into a new story and a new dynamic with narratives. But then just to come full circle, I feel like, Okay, now we got this mom back, and so the first mid credit scene is focusing the story this way, and now this is focusing the story that way. I feel like it's just two movies. That's why that's two movies. But I don't think that this movie is like financially, I don't know even the franchise right now is set.
Speaker 2: Up to be.
Speaker 3: Getting that because Wrath is in the past. But now you're telling me we're going to get a sequel that's going to have Granny's succession here and then a sequel with the mom coming back, or is it all going to culminate in the past with wrath.
Speaker 1: I'll take that. If we got a list of Southern seventies for somebody that she goes back, that that'd be fun to see what happens. She has to go back to her like young self or something, and you got like a young actress playing Ellie to fight like at all. But I think the Graham things just for fun, and it's like, if we ever want to do something with this again, it's like the girl from Rise right where it's set up that she was in the water. Ah, we used her to transition over there. I don't think they have to do anything with the Gramma, but they could. I think obviously got rap. I do think that'll be its own thing. I hope it is. I think the Ellie thing is the we're gonna bring back those Rise characters and do that because that was a big hit, and I don't I don't think this movie's gonna be do as good as Rise. We gonna remember, these movies are still made pretty cheap, so I still think it's gonna make a profit to the point where we will also we're getna yield Dead Wrap. I think if you get that and this back to back and they're maybe a little underwhelming money wise, they might question it. But I think that's why you bring a character like Ellie back because that was I could be wrong. Is it the biggest evil Dead of all time? Maybe that's maybe that's why they're just so bullish on this franchise right now.
Speaker 2: I think that's true.
Speaker 1: That doesn't Yeah, I think that is true. So I feel like that's the thing too, where it's like.
Speaker 2: Okay, the marketing campaign was really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so it was let's see, yeah, it's Evil Dead Rise. That's the biggest movie of this franchise. So that's where it's like, again, if you look at the franchise, to me, if you look at who's like the number one Battie, I know it's the most recent, but there's not many like like even again in twenty thirteen. Mia. She's also the protagonist of that movie, right, so it's kind of a and she's good at the end of that. So I think it's a way where it's kind of she's like a break glass option of like oh, you know, if let's say Burn didn't do as well and rapped and do as well, let's do one more with Ellie because everyone really liked that villain and uh, you know, biggest evil dead of all time. So numbers speak for itself there, so it's true. And again she I'll see if I can find even like what the budgets for this evil dead Burn budget was twenty million. Yeah, they're fine. They just they just got hit forty and they're in the they're getting in the profit song, and I think this thing will at least make like one hundred million.
Speaker 2: So that's the thing where it's like, that's a nice budget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's where it's like everything else we'll talk about you right with back Rooms Obsession, other horror films like even Undertones, right, that movie was made for I think like five million and made like double or like four times its budget.
Speaker 2: Like you know, I mean you were talking about that at the start, that like this is Southern hasn't risen to some huge fame or anything like that. I wonder how much her paycheck would be though, to bring her back for like a full Obviously she's probably paid to be in this scene here but like, what would be like to pay her to bring for this? Like can you keep these budgets low and bring back someone like I'm sure she would do it if considering what I mean, she's probably been in some cool stuff since then. We don't know what those things are, but I'm sure she's done something. But she's I guess if part of the game plan for Evil Dead is like budgets low, I wonder how much like bringing back old characters who don't really need to but might do it for like the right paycheck. If that kind of breaks the bank and makes this unsustainable. Who knows.
Speaker 1: We'll see she's only been one other thing that came out in twenty twenty three, the Mental sty Weird. Yeah, so I don't know. Maybe she decided she took a break and it was doing something. But even then, you got to think back in that day, she probably didn't get paid like a crazy amount. I bet think he say like, hey, we'll give you that.
Speaker 2: In Double True, so much about momentum, that's kind of surprising that she hasn't been either by her choice or just just hasn't worked out.
Speaker 1: Who knows, but she's in a movie, own brother, what's going on here. She's a movie called The Room Below. I mean I just quickly screenshare this because this is I don't know, man, not looking too good. That's a straight to DVD, like call anything right there. So until maybe there's not much you gotta get.
Speaker 2: It's a horrendous movie.
Speaker 1: There's not much you gotta do to get her back. But again, I'm interested this. This movie wasn't so bad. We're'm like, oh, it's it's over. Like it's not like a vultures shown up in the end credit. More we be seeing like, oh, we're really cooked. It's like, okay, I'm I'm trepidacious, but like, I'm all down for how we go again? If it's leading to the crossover of even a couple, even if it's the Three Ladies, Let's say Bruce Cammel's out of it's Alice, Mia and Beth from last movie. I think there's some fun thing of like all these ladies that survive the Dead Night, it's gotta come back together, you know, there there is some fun stuff to do. It's just all but execute. But Dylan, what would you mate this one?
Speaker 2: I will give Evil dead Burn a six point five out of ten.
Speaker 1: We are just in line tonight, sir. I'm exactly where you are. I think. For on the filmmaking side, I'd go like a seven because I love a lot of the shots in here. But then on the filmmaking side, for the like the script and story wise, that kind of takes it down. So I was between a six and the number that comes after since I'm going right in the middle, like you a six point five.
Speaker 2: So I like that pivot.
Speaker 1: Yeah it Kurculum would wake up out of a sickness there.
Speaker 3: What about you, I'm gonna go six point seventy five. I feel like I'm not I'm not as not as low on it, but I'm a little bit higher than you guys. Yeah, I just I think that the not much, not much, because again, I feel like the violence was definitely a little bit more tame. Some scenes were rushed, and just some of the stuff the characters do didn't feel like Evil Dead comedic.
Speaker 2: It just felt bad like that.
Speaker 3: And I'm not trying to I'm not trying to dog on on it or anything like, because I did have a good time with the movie.
Speaker 2: I like this.
Speaker 3: I like that you have the universe of Evil Dead and this movie I think does a good job at polling different things and making those little cameos, like when when Tia gets thrown into the basement, it's like, oh, you know, there's a little callback. You know, all these dead it's always gt thrown into basements or or sellers and whatnot. And some of the comedy stuff with the Grandma that made me laugh too. You know, she's thinking to you is always stealing from her and all that jazz and uh, you know, you get that shot of Alice looking down the stairs and Granny's tied to the chair and she's down at the bottom. She's you know, she's looks she's rubbing cutting that leg off, you know, going like crazy and.
Speaker 1: I'm clipping it.
Speaker 2: Oh but yeah, just all that stuff. It's it's uh yeah, I think that this movie will it will not stand as strongly as Rise did. But you know, for me, I got Evil Dead two, Evil Dead Rise?
Speaker 1: What O.
Speaker 2: Those are kind of like my higher end ones that I'll go to before I go about thirteen.
Speaker 1: That's a crazy.
Speaker 2: Thirteen's in there too.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm not not in that order, but like thirteen Rise and Evil Dead two, like those, I'm gonna go to those ones before before this one, I'd have to think and actually give like a Pupper ranking or did we do the rankings?
Speaker 2: I can't even remember back in the Yeah we.
Speaker 1: Did, we did act but I can. Maybe we'll revisit for a Wrath when we got a couple more entries in the franchise there. But yeah, we'll we'll we'll be back for Wrath. We'll see what that's going on again. I'm excited to get seventies. I'm excited at the idea of a sex coming of age Tael. I think they we got a little bit of the kiss. I think we might see some dead ights fucking in this next week, and I hope I'm hoping that's maybe more comedic, you know. I'm hoping that's a bit more because you know that can be funny. Dead height's having sex, you know. So we'll see what happens. We'll see what happens in the future. This has been GB seven twelve, and I promise you and hear from this next it won't be boring.
Speaker 2: Goodbye.
Speaker 1: N