Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's you brighten your day, lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbu Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No pursinesses every VERBLI losty terms, conditions eating plus.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing, and now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now, At chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No person has every y loss each conditions eighty plus.
Speaker 1: Okay, round two, name something that's not boring, laundry, a book club, computer solitaire. Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumbuck Casino. Chum, that's right. Chumbuckcasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 2: Chum.
Speaker 1: Chumbucasino dot com nossated by eighty plus tarts.
Speaker 3: The conditions of the busy website retails.
Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino, asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky?
Speaker 1: In line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 2: Actually do I have to say? Yes? You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kids PTA meeting?
Speaker 2: Really? Yes?
Speaker 4: Excuse me?
Speaker 2: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 3: I never win and tell well.
Speaker 4: There you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landsloughts dot com.
Speaker 4: Play for free right now?
Speaker 2: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 1: No dou necessary bode eighty plus disitions plus what everydyelse.
Speaker 4: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them, Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski. Good Evening presenting the most notorious unsolved crimes in Northeast Ohio. Investigative reporter James Renner reopens cold cases and delves into dark secrets that have baffled Clevelanders for years, including murder. Beverly Jerros, just sixteen years old, felt a dark foreboding in the months before she was stabbed to death in her quiet Garfield Heights home. It all started with an anonymous gift stole an identity. Joseph Newton Chandler of East Lake was not who he claimed to be. Some think he was a Zodiac killer. Others say he was d B. Cooper or even Jim Morrison. Suicide or murder. Joseph Kopcik had gambling problems from friends and family until he was found at the bottom of a nine story parking deck in downtown Cleveland with multiple stab wounds heist. In nineteen sixty nine, Lakewood Bank employee Ted Conrad nabbed two hundred and fifty thousand from the vault one day after his twentieth birthday. The FBI still shows up at his high school reunions controversy. Jeffrey Crotein was thrice tried for the grizzly two thousand murder of his wife and ultimately acquitted, to the frustration of Cuyahoga County prosecutors, detectives, and even jurors. These stories venture into dark alleys and seedy strip clubs, as well as comfortable suburbs and cozy small towns where some of the region's most horrendous crimes have occurred. The book that we're featuring this evening is The Serial Killers Apprentice and Other true Stories of Cleveland's most intriguing unsolved Crimes, with my special guest, journalist and author James Renner. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing to this interview.
Speaker 3: James Renner, clar.
Speaker 2: There, thanks for having me on. This is good, this is fun.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Always a pleasure to speak to you. Let's talk right away with why this book about Cleveland. Tell us your connection to all things in Cleveland and with east to Ohio. Just tell us briefly how you came to want to write this book or how you came in a position to write this book.
Speaker 2: Sure, yes, Well, the short story is this book, The Serial Killers Apprentice is a collection of a dozen of the true crime stories I wrote as a reporter for the Cleveland Scene and the Free Times magazines and in Cleveland Scene and Free Times, those are kind of like the village voice newspapers of Cleveland, and up until about two thousand and eight, there were two of them, and they were going head to head for like twenty years, and Free Times was kind of the scrappy underdog during my time there, kind of rose rose up, and eventually the group behind Free Times merged with Scene, and a lot of Free Times folks stayed on. So now there's one paper lefted Scene and they kind of rolled the roost there and they're doing great journalism again. So it was the the most fun I've ever had, the best job I've ever had, But it was at a time where when I was working there, it was the decline of the newspapers. I started in two thousand and three, and at the time a cover story like one of these stories in the book, a feature story would pay twenty five hundred dollars. By the time I left, seven years later, that same story paid about two hundred and fifty dollars, and we had gone from a staff of fifteen to three. But it was while it lasted. It was a fun ride, and I became known as the true crime guy because I'd write at a lot of these crime stories and they build up. And these are the twelve best that I've written, and a couple of them have been featured in Best American Crime Reporting and Best American Nonfiction, you know collections.
Speaker 3: Certainly, let's start with Joseph Kupchik and you call it again with suicide with a question mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you.
Speaker 3: Said it was suicide, it would be a very unusual way to do it. And his family and friends think it was murder. And he has a twin brother named John. Tell us a little bit about Joe Cupchick and his brother and his gambling hobby. We'll say, sure.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm really glad we're doing this story because it's not as well known as I think it should be. And I got to know the family quite well when I was reporting on it, and you know, so the background of the story is Joe Cupchick was you know this, you know, a run of the mill young man living in northeast Ohio. And he had graduated and was attending college. And he had this twin brother, John, So it was Joe and John Cupchick, and they're identical, an identical twin. So he was living on you know, kind of the west side of Cleveland, and he had a couple of jobs. He was working at Wendy's and you know, with this group and and it also started working at Steak and Shake, which I don't know if that's kind of like a national chain, but it's you know, it's it's good. It's it's like a chain diner, you know, where you can get cheap hot dogs and hamburgers and French fries and spaghetti and uh, you know, he was doing that to make ends meet. Now, unknown to a lot of his friends and family, he was also very involved in online gambling and he had uh, you know, sometimes he was up, uh and sometimes he was down. And it looked like he was at the time that he died. Uh, he had lost just lost for his age, a decent sum of money. So the particulars of his death. He was supposed to work at Stake and Shake that day, and this is two thousand and six, and the story goes, he showed up for work and they didn't really need him, so they sent him home, and instead of going home, he drove into downtown Cleveland, about a twenty minute drive, and his car ends up in a parking deck that's owned by a bank downtown and it's several stories tall, and he drives up all the way to the top, you know where it's just open to the elements up top, and he parks the car flashed forward to the next night, you know that. Later that night, his body is found on the sidewalk low the parking deck, as if he had fallen that entire length, you know that that drop, and he's nearly dead when he's found. A guy that had come out of a bar comes across. His body. Didn't look like it had been there. Long calls ninety one to one. He's rushed to the hospital. He's still barely hanging on. He can't really talk at the hospital. He dies. And when I saw this case, I remember reading about it in the in the playing dealer, and the coroner had essentially written it off as a suicide, that he was despondent over these gambling losses and he jumped off the top of the parking garage and killed himself. But it just didn't sit right with me still. You know, I waited several months before I dove into it, and when I did, you know, it just had this feeling that this was going to be one of those pieses that was there's a little bit more under the surface than you expect. And sure enough. I mean, the first thing with this case is Joe has this identical twin which you know, picture this, you know, you know what the victim looks like, and he's he's six feet under, he's dead. But you have to interview this man who looks and talks exactly like exactly like it, you know, and knows him better than anybody else. So it was a very surreal experience for me to sit down with this guy that is essentially a you know, a double of of this this this young man he died. And so the article actually opens up with the dream sequence, and it through the mind of John, who to me described these nightmares that he was having where Joe was still alive and they were playing basketball. I thought that was very interesting, you know that there was still a part of Joe that that was alive inside his head. So you know that you've got that weirdness. And then you look at the particulars of you know, the death, and there's some weird things. You know, there are these like when they went into the car that Joe had left behind, you know, things were kind of out of place, and they looked at his body and they were like what the corner calls tick marks along his like abdomen and chest, and you know, the coroner suggested that these tick marks were used by a knife and it was Joe considering whether or not to stab himself before he leapt to his death, which is just it. You know, that one of the weirdest explanations I've ever heard, and that doesn't sit right with me either. So I went and tracked down his coworkers and that's when I discovered that when Joe left Stake and Shake that day, he didn't leave alone. He gave a ride. The reason he went downtown is he was asked to give a ride for this coworker named Brian, and Brian asked him to take him downtown Cleveland. So Joe was this, you know, he was he was kind of callable and extra nice, and so he left with this kid, Brian, and uh yeah, and then you find out that things are missing from from Joe, possibly a bit of money, and also his cell phone. His cell phone was never found, like if it was a suicide, where's that cell phone, you know? And why is it gone? So I'm like, well, I got to talk to this Brian kid, because he would have been at the very least, he would have been the last person to be with and see Joe. And then I find out that he's left the state, so you know, red flags start going up, and I find out that he is also in trouble with the law, and he has a warrant for his arrest and all these, you know, and it starts adding up. So I eventually tracked down Brian out of state and leave a message for him, and he's not calling me back. And about two o'clock in the morning, I'm sleeping, I'm in bed, and I get a call and it's Brian, and I answer it and we talked for a little bit and I've been reporting long enough where I think I've got a pretty good read on people and sense when they're conflicted about something, regardless of the fact of that they're calling me at two o'clock in the morning. But I could tell he had been drinking a little bit and there was something weighing on him, and he I think he got really close to telling me something very important that night, but he couldn't quite get there. And I told him, I said, I can hear it in your voice. You feel terrible, you know, why don't you just tell me what happened? And and he almost did. You know, He's, well, you know, I can't get there. I'm not there, So you know, it was a weird conversation and it left me feeling that at the very least, Brian knows more about what happened to Joe that night, and the corner had initially ruled it suicide, but because of these questions, the corner had to go and re assess the situation, and now Joe is technically lifted, as I believe, unknown like they don't. They're not saying it's suicide, they're not saying it's murder. They just are, you know, And he asked the corner, and he's like, well, for the family's sake, we're just saying it's not suicide. But there's so many questions here. One other little piece of this when I went to Stake and I found Joe's old manager and she was on duty, and I said, hey, I'm doing this story. Do you know anything and she her face kind of went white, just like you know, you read about it and it really does happen. And her eyes get wide and she says, yes, you know, there's something that you should know that I've that I've wanted to say, there's information that I have that that needs to be out there. And I said, well, great, you know, please share it with me and she said I can't. And I said, well, so why why in the world can't you share something about this, this this kid's death. And she said, well, if I talk to you, I'm going to lose my job. And you know, I look around and I'm like, you're working at Stake and shake you know, you're you're probably going to be able to get another job managing a restaurant. But you know, it was a flippant thing to say, but you know, at the time, you know, we're talking like when I was writing about it was like two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, and the economy was just just at the bottom, especially in Cleveland, and everybody was fighting for jobs. So you know, in a way, I can't blame her, but in another, you know, in another sense, it's you're weighing this job at stake and shake against possibly giving closure to some kids murder. So it was very frustrating and the case is still unsolved, and I do very much believe it's murder.
Speaker 3: The family thought it was murder as well. And you talk of the the effort, the incredible effort by the father, George, to hire a private eye and to look into some of these things, and you do talk about that through their private investigations they found some the icing material and a container. Tell us a little bit about again that very promising lead once somebody looked at you know, the proximity of where he worked and also where this parking garage was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they found a number of odd of odd items. You know, I think the father at one time, you know, he was very adamant about you know, pushing this this theory, which I believe is true, that you know, that he was murdered. You know he he at one time submitted this list of questions and entitled Questions and Facts about Joseph kupchik Uh and on there. You know, top is is where is Joe's phone? Joe's cell phone? Why did he not call off work if he didn't want to arouse suspicion around his suicide? So you know, if he committed suicide, you know why if that was his plan, why go into work at all? You know, with there's some other other pieces here. If you know, Joe was found covered in blood, his body was, but there's no blood on the railing where he would have had to boost himself up. He placed an online bat that night four hundred and fifty dollars on Georgetown to win the NCAA tournament. And this knife that was found in the car that that supposedly was making tick marks. You know, where did that come from? Because it wasn't from It didn't match any of the knives at Stake and Shake. It wasn't his, you know, so the question is was it Bryan's? Uh? I'm sorry, I got I got a little off track, but you were asking about this de icing material that uh, that has to do with this idea that Joe's body might have been stored in age. His body might have been stored in a big box. So up in the parking deck you've got these giant blue boxes of like salt, like essentially de icing material that they would use in the winter to remove the ice and snow from the parking deck. And on Joe's close there was this compound that matched the de icing material. So the theory that the father put forth was that Joe was actually murdered when he drove up to Cleveland with Brian early that day, and then his body was stored in this box of the icing material until nighttime, and then whoever killed him brought him out of the box and tossed his body over the side to make it look like a suicide.
Speaker 3: With everything that you've looked at this, what is your theory other than he was murdered?
Speaker 2: You know? The all I can say is I think that Brian and his coworkers know a little more about what's going on, but they're you know, like a lot of these cases, when you really start looking at there a number of suspects that that you know, that had motive to kill Joe, believe it or not that The other thing we have gotten into is he had this manager at State at Wendy's where he worked before Stake and Shake, and this manager had gotten in trouble for embezzling a lot of money at a prior job. And it's possible that Joe had found out about this and maybe was was going to alert other people at the restaurant, and so, you know, this was he had some knowledge of this guy's criminal behavior. And when I went to question him, this guy's really squirrely and just an odd character, and he had been known to talk to Joe outside of work too. My hunch is that Joe met up with the wrong person downtown Cleveland, either he gave a ride to this person or met up with him there. And yes, I believe kind of what the father believed is that he was probably killed or you know, he didn't die until the hospital later on, but he was probably beat up pretty bad and during the day and either left in the car beside the car or left in this box of the icing material. And then the killer thought after he got home, he's like, well, you know, how can I cover this up more? And it makes sense, you know, let's toss his body over the side. So they went back under the cover of night and and tossed it over. And you would think, well, so let's get the security footage right of this parking deck, and the parking decks owned by.
Speaker 3: A bank.
Speaker 2: It's a big bank in Cleveland, and they end up destroying the tape before anybody can really see it. Mm hmm. Yes, So it's a it's a it's an unfortunate case. You know, there are a number of ways that it could have been solved. But since the corner ruled it suicide at first, the cops weren't really interested in it at all, until you know, until after my article came out, until after the family.
Speaker 3: Pushed Yeah that you got to say that some you can only conclude it was an incredible effort to have justice done in here at all that did even was an investigation of murder in this case.
Speaker 2: And when people hear about it, you know, sometimes their wheels get turning, and you know, they jump to this idea of maybe, well, it has to be a conspiracy, right because the bank destroyed the tape in the corner world at suicide when it's obviously a murder and all these people are involved. But you know, I've come what I've come to learn as a true crime reporter is that, you know, don't ever ascribe to conspiracy. What can be explained through laziness. And unfortunately, I think that's what happened here is you know, the corner, the police, the bank, everybody just wanted it to go away and didn't want to work work and look into it. And you know they were able to push it off their desk and now they don't have that case to work on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk about what you call time is death itself, the unsolved murder of Beverly jar Ros sixteen years old. And you say that we didn't allude it into any introduction, that she knew death wanted her and she did everything to prepare for it. What do you mean by that? You talk about poems and but let's take us back to this summer of sixty four when she receives an anonymous present door of her family home. What is this tell us about Beverly Jarrow's and that day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Beverly Jarros is I mean, she's sixteen years old and you know she's just this bright eyed, very smart, artistic beautiful young woman. And this is also the oldest case I've ever looked into. Most of the cases I write about her are very contemporary, but this was sixty four. It's still to this day such a big case in the Cleveland area. And when I'd go to libraries and talk about Amy Mahlivik or Joe Kopchik and all these other cases, at the end of these talks, people would always come up to me and they'd say, Hey, have you ever looked into Beverly Jarros? That's my case, That's that's the case I grew up with. So eventually I had to just just look into this. And so things started to get a little hinky, a little strange for Beverly Jarros in the summer of sixty four, and she realized that she had a secret admirer. And this person left this gift wrath box from Higbee's, which was this you know, ritzy department store downtown Cleveland, tied up with the blue ribbon, and you know, they had written to BEV on the box, and inside she found a silver bracelet and ring. So this this really creeped and she knew she was being admired, but she didn't know who it was. So she one of the things she did was she got a letter opener and she kept it by her bed for protection. And she told people that she just had this this feeling that that death was catching up with her, that something was catching up with her. She had this ex boyfriend, Schultzy, Dan Schultzi, who was kind of like this wild guy in the neighborhood, you know, this this like playboy, you know, greaser type, and she had broken up with him and he took it really poorly, and she was now dating a very clean cut, like the opposite of Dan, this this guy Roger, and you know, he was he was so conservative even at I think he was probably nineteen eighteen, nineteen years old because he was in college, a little bit older than her. But he was so conservative that he was one of the people that was trying to bring back the old Vatican, you know, because they had just moved to Vatican too, which you know, so they took the old Latin out of the Sunday services so you know, so people could understand what was being said, you know. Here, so kind of you know, weirdly conservative for a kid, and very you know, he had this this hot temper, and you know, so she had these boys, but she felt that this admirer was somebody else and it really freaked her out. So she took precautions. You know, she didn't she wasn't alone much and she had this this letter opener. Well, flash forward to you know, just after Christmas, December twenty eighth, nineteen sixty four. She is supposed to meet up with a friend. She's doing some errands that day with her sister. She ends up getting a ride back to her house dropped off, and she goes inside the house and she's alone. And this for this window of like ten minutes between being dropped off and before her friend shows up to pick her up and they were going to go out, and sometime in those ten minutes, somebody gets into her house and Beverly is found stabbed multiple times. But the stabbings are not what killed her. What killed her was that she was strangled to death by a piece of clothesline. And which which is odd too, because most killers they pick one method of killing. You know, this guy had too. You know, why was he Why was she stabbed and joked to death? Why not one or the other. So it's it's a weird m My thought was always, did she did this person surprise her when she went up to her room to change and and you know, put this noose around her neck, and she had something waiting to defend herself, and this person got so angry that he snatched it from her and stabbed her with it. That would explain why there's two methods of murder there. And my first thought was the letter opener, but the sister swears that the better opener was eventually found and was not the murder weapon. So whatever she was stabbed with was never never found. So those are the particulars of what happens at her and then you know, the story after that is you know who did this? And that's that's why we're still wondering to this day now.
Speaker 3: At that time, they questioned various men and there was a gentleman named Bruce Biddock I believe her Billick, these twenty one year old college student who lived directly behind Bev's house, and the detectives had discovered a note Bev had written to her friend Margie.
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 3: What was contained in a note? And why were police suspicious and what did they do as a result?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, she's she's an average sixteen year old who had encounters with with these these boys. I mean, she was she was a very attractive young woman, and she got a lot of attention, and some of the attention came from this twenty one year old, you know, Bruce Buyolot, who lived nearby, and the police discovered a note that Bev had written to a friend. In what she says, Bruce came over to see what I looked like when I'm not dressed. I have my blue rob on and my hair is still in curlers. So you know, it's a little provocative, and obviously Bruce was hindo her. So yeah, he was one of the people that they really set their sights on. And eventually, you know, they really honed in on three particular individuals. They're the ex boyfriend Dan Cholti, the current boyfriend Roger, and a third individual named John Pallian, who at the time of the murder was a young man who was out of school and living just a couple of doors down from Bev, and he had admitted to spying on her and watching her sunbathe and all this creepy stuff. And he doesn't really have an alibi for the murder. So at the time that I wrote the article, those were kind of like the three top suspects. But I have to tell you that I recently talked to the detective involved in this case because we just hit I believe the fiftieth or were coming up on the fiftieth anniversary of this murder, and he tells me that the boyfriend Roger and John Pallian have all but been ruled out. They think it seems as though they have part partial DNA of Beverly's killer, so there's a good chance that eventually this case will be solved. Still, even though it's so old, so they're still interested in Dan Shultzy. One of the reasons they're so interested is he no longer lives in the country and he sawere is he Well he's he's in Israel. What's interesting about Israel. Well, they don't extradite, so they're still very much interested in them. But I also hear that they have two new suspects, which after all these years kind of blows my mind. And these are two guys that may not even be in my In my story, you.
Speaker 3: Talk about at the time when they looked at Dan Schulty and Roger McNamara and the other neighbor. That's part of their arsenal for as a tool and they believe, you know, quite a bit in this technology was the polygraph itself. So what do they do with these did these gentlemen pass the polygraph or fail? What's the results and what do they do when they with these results of these polygraph tests and these three suspects.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, polygraphs are a funny thing. It's polygraphs are technically a you know, they don't really work like we see them in CSI and then the TV shows they're they're essentially only as good as the as the person who reads them, and they're considered just another tool of investigation. So however, it's it's shaking out when they're asking tough questions like have you been with with Beverly Jarras or were you there that they have for murdered. Whenever the is squiggling away at the the police officer, the detective is free to lean in and say, follow this doesn't look good for you. This this uh, I don't like this reaction when you know, essentially they could just it might as well be reading tea leaves, So I wouldn't read too much into these polygraphs. And even if they even if they said back then that some were ruled out or some were inconclusive. You know, there's a reason why polygraphs aren't aren't allowed in court. But they certainly used them to intimidate some of the suspects. And uh, you know, the papers always love it when they find out that, you know, somebody has been polygraphed, whether or not they they feel they've they've passed or failed. So I always get a little anxious when the subject of polygraphs come out because there's not much. There's not much to them. Did you when reading it?
Speaker 3: Did it?
Speaker 2: I don't know what did you make of What did you make of that?
Speaker 3: Well, I just I brought it up because in countless stories the polygraph is taken to eliminate suspects. They're pretty certain that they can eliminate the suspect based on the polygraph, and many of these stories that's proven to be quite foolish. So, I mean, they don't have any validity in court. And so as we see now, they they're not used the same way as a tool because they can send the investigation in completely wrong direction, so right, and obviously with this there's not They're not getting any any verification or clarification or any indication from these polygraphs of any value, it seems obviously.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, you know, I I think that what's going to close this case. The only thing that can close it after all this time is DNA. And it sounds like they do have a killer's DNA, but again, it's not like CSI where you feed it into a computer and it goes through everybody's image and you know, spits out the killer Sometimes what you have is degraded DNA, which is probably what they have in this case, where you know, they have a snippet of you know, these these genes and you have to find a potential suspects DNA and then actually physically sit there and try and match them up on you know, like see through paper to see if it matches to a sequence of you know, the suspects DNA. So it might not even be a full strand. And what what I was told is is, you know, they're waiting for technology to catch up and maybe there'll be advancements in DNA in the future that can give them a full strand of DNA or or match it more completely to a specific suspect. But they have used the DNA to rule out some suspects and I believe that that's why John Tallian and the boyfriend Roger are rolled out. At this point.
Speaker 3: You talk about that she was not sexually assaulted, which is very very interesting in this as well. Once they found that out, Yeah, and also that that that they assumed that it was someone that Bev knew. They said there was no struggle downstairs, only upstairs.
Speaker 2: Yes, it had to be somebody that Bev knew, because that house was kept locked at all times. And remember she's also very suspicious at this point when she thinks somebody is going to possibly attack her. So when they when they eventually got there, they found I believe, but the back door and the side door unlocked, so it appears as as though Bev let somebody in the side door and she don't let somebody in if she knew them. And then there was a struggle. They ended up upstairs where she was murdered in this kind of tiny bedroom that she shared with their sister. And then the killer ran out the back door and her friend Barb comes over to pick her up and when she gets there, she knocks on the door, assuming it's the side door, assuming it's locked, and she can hear loud music inside. And it's believed by the police that the killers actually inside at that time was using the music to mask the assault and may have even escaped out the back door while Barb was sitting on the front stoop.
Speaker 3: You also say too, that the media demanded an arrest. In January eleventh, a seventeen year old boy committed suicide. And then from there, what did people assume?
Speaker 2: Yeah, people think the media today is out of control. Let me tell you that the media fifty years ago, when Cleveland had three daily papers competing with each other, it was I mean, it was like tabloid fodder when something like this would happen. And you know, so they have this beautiful Catholic schoolgirl, you know, brutally murdered. I mean that ran and sold so many papers back then, and they were trying to outdo themselves with details, and so they'd latch onto things like this that probably had nothing to do with anything. You know, this poor kid's suicide, but he happened to do it within proximity of where she lived, so Oh my gosh. You know, let's you know, he must be involved in this, and you know the the there was a lot harder back then to sue, you know, for defamation, you know, the loss protecting you know, people that weren't you know, celebrities didn't come around until later.
Speaker 3: Brigan uses as an opportunity James just to talk stop for a second, to talk about our sponsor, Blue Apron. Blue Apron is the number one fresh ingredient and recipe delivery service in the country, and Blue Apron's mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyone. Blue Apron delivers fresh, pre portion preportion ingredients and step by step recipes right to your door that can be cooked in under forty five minutes. The menu changes every week based on Watson season and is designed by Blue Apron's in house culinary team. Blue Apron sends only non GMO ingredients and meet with no added hormones for six weeks from April sixteenth through May twenty one. Blue Apron is teeming with AIRB and B to bring you the best home cooking from around the world. Each week, their menual feature a recipe developed in collaboration with an AIRB and b experiences host like cc A Jeff from Shanghai, who makes incredible Kung Pow Chicken, a beloved sticky saucy mix of crispy brown chicken and vegetables. I tried the beef empanadas with roasted sweet potatoes and creamy zucchini from a chef from Buenos Aires. This was wow, incredibly flavorful, amazingly easy, and amazing that I cooked at myself at home. Check out this week's menu and get your first three meals free at blue apron dot com slash murder. That's blue apron dot com slash murder, Blue Apron a better way to cook. We just spoke about the ongoing search for the killer of Beverly Jarros, and you talk about the media being brutal. And when people talk about comparing the media today to the media in the past, who just did some stories of over one hundred years ago, that even worse. Let's talk about the unsolved murder of Andrea Flinnery. Yeah you talk about.
Speaker 2: Andrea Andrea Flinori. Yeah, she's got kind of a different name. Yeah, this is, you know, talking about the role of the media. When I wrote the story at a time when I was starting to get a reputation in Cleveland as a true crime guy, and I'd written a lot of stories about missing or murdered white people, right, you know, Beverly Jaros. You know, the reason her case is so popular is that, you know, missing white girls syndrome or the murdered white girl syndrome. You know, she was beautiful and popular, and so, you know, I took some of the critiques that would come in by readers seriously where they said, well, you know, why are you not paying attention to these murdered women of color on the East Side.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And so I wanted to find the case that that that could work that way, and I picked Andrea Flanori. Now the tricky part with this is that Andrea she worked as At the time of her murder, she was working as a stripper, and she would supplement that with activity. She was also working as a prostitute. So when the story came out, I got a ton of just ugly emails and letters from people saying, you know, why would you waste any sort of time investigating a prostitute's murder or investigating this young, you know, African American woman's murder. So Yeah, it revealed this this ugly racial tension in Cleveland that I had really not seen before. So I'm very proud of of this story because, you know, shee What I wanted to show was that Andrea, she was still somebody's daughter, and she had still come she still had her own history, and she came from in fact, a small town outside of Youngtown. And in high school she was very popular. He was a cheerleader, she was a nice kid. And after high school she fell on some really hard times through circumstance, through choices of her own, and she ended up in the wrong part of Akron, living with an abusive some say an abusive boyfriend, and he knew what she was doing, that she was stripping that and he would come to the strip club sometimes and cause problems, and he knew she was she was prostituting. So she worked at the strip club at Arlington in Exchange, which anybody from Akron and I know that's not that's not a large population of your listeners, I'm sure, but it is. It's the red light district, you know, it's the sedious part of that's the epicenter of all trouble in Akron and there's a strip club there called Lisa's Cabaret, which has now been shuttered, and that's where she worked, and she could show up anytime she wanted. She was very popular down there. Sometimes after work she would walk down to the corner and stand there until somebody wanted to pick her up. And allegedly that's what she did the night of her murder, and she was found by fishermen the next morning. Her body was wrapped in chains and she had been dumped in a little tributary of a river in a small community called Coventry, which is how I came to learn about it to begin with, because my wife is a teacher at the high school there, and you from the high school, you can see where with this girl's body was found. So nobody was covering it, and so I jumped in and looked into it and worked with the detectives, and we quickly came to discover that, oh, there are two other women that fit the motive here that were found either wrapped in chains or wrapped in something and put in rivers, but further south, like around Canton. So there was a serial killer working around town at that time and the murders and he was picking, you know, just like the Green River killer. He was picking a subset of people who might not be missed or might not be reported on. And there are at least three that seemed to be linked. And this guy is as we know, it's never been caught, or maybe he's sitting in prison for an unrelated crime and that's why they stopped or he moved. But yeah, Andrea met up with She got a ride with the wrong person that night, and we haven't been able to find him yet.
Speaker 3: What's interesting is when you look at the obvious, at least the way police look at it, the obvious suspects potentially, and they talk about a man that was ten years her senior, that she met years before, named Jason Conrad, and you talk about that's the boyfriend. But there is also this January two thousand and four, This is August two thousand and five, when she's found. What are the charges against him according to the police reports that are very interesting in terms of him being a suspect.
Speaker 2: As a result, refresh my memory here, it's actually been a while since I've thought about this case. Is Conrad? Is Conrad the boyfriend that she met up with.
Speaker 3: He's he's the guy that in two thousand and four he beat her then held a knife to her face. They were both the rest of her domestic assault, but she said he had grabbed her by the neck.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, you know there's this. You know again, it's this, you know, allegations of it. Definitely seems as though it was a very troubled relationship and he would definitely cause problems in her life. You know, not a decent guy. But at the same time, when he found out about Andrea's murder, you know, he just he broke down and it was a really emotional, very honest response to her murder. I mean, he you know, he's one of these guys that treats that treats his his girlfriend terribly, but at the same time, you know, she's also the best thing in his life. What was interesting to me is, uh, some of the other places that Andrea had been known to work at. She was working at Lisa's, but she'd also worked at this place called Flash Dance, and that place stood out to me right away because Flash Dance was like one of the last places that this this young man named Stephen Spade had been seen. And there's this bartender named Lisa Pennix, who attended bar at flash Dance, and she and a couple of her matheatic friends lured Stephen back to him and and killed him. He ended up decapitated and they drove his body out of town set on fire. I mean, it was just a mess. And there's this group of really depraved individuals that did to Lisa that Andrea. I'm sorry that Andrea would have known that we know for sure are capable of murder, but doesn't really fit them o of you know, being wrapped in chains and put in a river like these other women from camp.
Speaker 3: And also a detective Noll. He said they determined or he believed anyway, that there was no connection between the cases.
Speaker 2: Is that correct? Yes, But I I you know, again, when the detective says that they've ruled something out or determined that there's no connection. As a reporter, I never I never take that with one hundred percent faith. You know, maybe there was something they missed or or or looked at wrong. You know, there have been many other cases where somebody has been ruled out, only two, only for the police to realize later that they were a little more clever than they expected.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and with the family did not want to speak to the media whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can't and you can't blame them, you know, because of you know, I think there's this stigma, you know, and this this shame around you know, what Andrew was doing for a living and how she was making ends meet, and there'd been a falling out with the family too, And I think they wanted to remember the girl that lived in the small town outside of Youngstown, that was a teer reader at or High school. And this this sunny girl, not the not the person that she had that she had become. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Another sad point is that she was they discovered she was six weeks, six weeks away from being pregnant. Yeah, six weeks pregnant, and the father was her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, So let's talk about you know, some some people would look at that as motive, but I think that that explains why the boyfriend broke down and less so sad when he learned that that that she was dead.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the unsolved murder of Tony Daniels. You say, a Mexican landscaper is cutting grass, finds a skull in the woods, and uh, a detective Arcurry Westlake Police Station. What do they determine just with this skull? How does this investigation proceed from there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is another story that it was hard to report on that that the mainstream media hadn't really done because you know, Tommy Daniels was Vietnamese and you know, he was this you know, part of the culture that that doesn't end up in the papers a lot. You know, he was, you know, not the typical story. And this landscape paper is in uh, you know, over on the West Side, and you know he's he's working behind an office building and you know, mowing the grass and he decides to step into the woods to take a leak. And when he does, he looks down and there's this human skull. And that's how they they are able to find this, uh Tony Daniels, who had been missing for a while. And you got to hand it to Arcurie, who was a detective at the time. And I believe now he believe he's the chief of police up there. Now he's he's he's moved up in the world, and uh, you know, he jumped on this and was avid about trying to find out who who killed Tony Daniels. And his real name, by the way, is he Hugh My And uh so he he jumped into this, was able to figure out who it was based on you know, dental records, and wanted to try and figure out what happened. And just like Andrea Filanori, you know, Tony was he was with the wrong crowd, you know. He he was with you know, surrounded by you know, criminal types, and you know, I believe he was involved or dating a woman who was who was known to be a prostitute. His friend had you know, been you know, has a criminal history as well. So yeah, he had his work cut out for him trying to figure out what happened to Tony.
Speaker 3: It's interesting how they come to find who this is and not through the you know, fingerprint search or anything. Talk about how they come to identify this young man.
Speaker 2: So they speak to this very well known forensic person who eventually well, first they reach out to this anthropologist at Kin State, this doctor CEO and Lovejoy, who has appeared on a numerous you know, true crime shows. He's the one they go to when you come up with a big question here in Cleveland, and he was you know what they went to him to try and figure out like the age and race of the victim of this, you know, who the skull belonged to. And at the same time, you've got Tony's mother, who ever since he's gone missing, has been calling the coroner like every day, every time somebody, every time a body is found in Cuyahoga County. You know, she's on the phone trying to find out if it's her missing son. So, you know, she kind of collides with with r. Curi and they both start wondering if this, in fact is Tony Daniels. Now, Tony was mugged a few months before he disappeared, and he had been hit in the face with a with a gun, ended up in the hospital and that's when he got an X ray of his of his head. And his mother, you know, she's so so very you know, proactive, had kept those x rays. And so Artury finds out about this and and calls her up and says, hey, you know you got those X rays still, absolutely, So Artury picks up the X rays and uh, you know, he's he's he's kind of comparing this to the the skull and it it's a match in his mind. So you know, it's it's the it's the foresight of this mother who nobody's really listening to, and and the hunch of this detective. And if not for if not for that confluence of events, you know, we still might not be able to to know who this this skull belonged to.
Speaker 3: Right you talk about Tony's girlfriend was this uh Tara Shores, and he lived with her and they ran an escort company called TNT. But there was also this Frank Marvey he has he's also seeing a woman named Tina Marvey with that's a pronunciation tell us about this triangle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think I believe it. I believe it's pronounced mave. So you've got Tony and Tara, who are running this escort company, and then you've got Frank and Tina May. Now Tony was was seeing Tina, you know, he's kind of seeing her on the side. Tina was working as a prostitute, same as Tara. But you know Tina was married to Frank, and Frank's kind of this uh this really rough, dude. So the night before Tony disappeared, he spent the night at Lakewood Days In with with Tina, this married woman. They checked out around noon. Then Tony rents this U haul and is spending the afternoon moving equipment from his into his new business on Lorraine Avenue in that section of Lorrain is not so nice either. That's actually not far from where Amanda Barry and Gina DeJesus were abducted. So the suggestion is that Frank found out this affair and tracked and the timing chure works out right, and tracked down Tony and either killed him at this this business of his and and covered it up, or you know elsewhere.
Speaker 3: They utilize technology and run prints at that time, but then again they run prints again. What is the impetus for them running prints at a different time and world? Will you talk about a suspect that comes up, Well, tell us about that how he comes to be a suspect.
Speaker 2: Here. So they find Tony's car after he was missing. The car is found abandoned on Sylvia Drive, which is not too far from this this friend of his name the Sherman Kyle's childhood home, and you know Tony knew the Skuy sherman. And they process his car and then police find fingerprints on the passenger side and they're fed into aphis, which is you know, that's the automated fingerprint identification system that the cops used to to try and match up fingerprints. And so when Tony went missing in nineteen ninety seven, they fed these fingerprints in and it didn't get a match. So Arcurry when he finds the skull and gets the case. After tony skull is found in his jurisdiction, R. Curry runs the Prince again and this time there's a hit and the Prince mentch This guy.
Speaker 3: GK.
Speaker 2: Thomas of Boujou, who in in Cleveland is a local hip hip hop artist. Now the reason why he came to know Tony is Tony had this had had an aspiration of becoming a record producer and was working with a GK on a rap album. Now Arcurry, so cart Arcuri tracks this guy down, this hip hop artists down and and he says, yeah, I was in the back of Tony Tony's car. And he goes back and says he remembers that it was actually Sherman Kyle who was driving Tony's car. And remember Tony's car was found right near where Sherman Kyle grew up, like right around the corner from his childhood home. So this of course is starting to raise red flags. So you know, Sherman Kyle definitely ends up on Arcurry's radar.
Speaker 3: And what happens as a result from from being on that radar, we know it's still on salt.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you know when I reported on this case, you know, back then it had kind of you know, our Curry was very eedamant that he was going to solve this case. It is still unfortunately unsolved to this day and they haven't been able to. Yeah, it's a definitively link anybody, for sure. But you know, I think the GK and Sherman and Frank may are you all persons of interest in here.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we don't have enough time to go into all of the other cases. I've really wanted to talk about. The unsolved murder of Ramona protein very very interesting. You also feature Cleveland's strangest unsolved bank heist, and in nineteen sixty nine. There are other stories that we just didn't get to. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about the Serial Killers, Apprentice and other stories of Cleveland's most intriguing unsolved crimes. Do you have a website? Or a Facebook page that people might go to to see other work and if they want to contact you about anything in particular.
Speaker 2: Course, Yeah, you can find all my stuff at James Renner dot com. Uh so that's that's easy peasy you James Renner R E N N E R.
Speaker 3: Yes. Well, thank you very much James for this interview. I hope to talk to you again real soon. You have a great night, that'd be great.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on, Toby, thank you, good night. H