Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 4: Two nothing, It's Alva not so fast cohole breath with John Taylor.
Speaker 5: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner.
Speaker 3: Of a two man loose.
Speaker 5: And Rick dolly Wall I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on news cherry years.
Speaker 6: Donnie and Dolly, Welcome in.
Speaker 1: It's Donnie Dolly the team on Check broadcasting live from the Paul Carson Studio at Old Boy Productions. I am Ryan Henderson alongside Rick Dolly Wall. Derek Wong directing the show today, and Quinn Taylor is our producer. How are you hen?
Speaker 5: Still hurting? But not?
Speaker 1: Let me tell you this studio. The soundtrack of this studio right now is just You're hacking. Then. Quinn and I are both battling our allergies this morning.
Speaker 5: I'm coughing you or you're both sneezing. Quinn sneezing like Yeah, you wouldn't believe.
Speaker 1: Derek is the most healthy individual in this room, which says something if you would know what his diet is when he usually directs this program.
Speaker 5: So, so you got your hauls and you're battling through playing hurt like a lot of guys in the NHL playoffs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's that's no question on that. More on the Stanley Cup Final as the show goes along last night One one Now series is all tied up after Carolina's comeback against Vegas. But the locally Rick with the Vancouver Canucks some news announced yet not announced yesterday. You broke it yesterday actually after our show, and that is that they have hired Darren.
Speaker 5: Hermiston, who lives in Kamloops.
Speaker 1: Lives in Kamloops, the Spain of British Columbia.
Speaker 5: Some people call him.
Speaker 1: He's a player agent Rick with the team, not our team, formerly Washerman Hockey.
Speaker 5: This is Darren here.
Speaker 1: This is his profile picture on Twitter, by the way.
Speaker 5: But what is it in black and white? He likes his artsy apparently, I don't know. But should this not be in color?
Speaker 1: Probably?
Speaker 5: Are we in nineteen thirty five?
Speaker 1: But doesn't don't people say if you put and this is no disrespect.
Speaker 5: He's a very good looking looks great Darren. I know Darren, Darren looks great.
Speaker 1: But but if isn't it like black and white makes you look younger?
Speaker 5: Season?
Speaker 1: Why people do black and white? I never heard that there's there's a reason why a lot of people put their photos in black and white. I think it's look this.
Speaker 5: Six there should be a color photo of him. Yeah, but your artsy is something different.
Speaker 1: Anyway, one of the players Rick, he represents his Canucks forward Rd Baines. So yeah, there you go. He he did play. He played in the BHL. As a matter of fact, Vipers.
Speaker 5: Vernon, not the Vernon Vipers, the Vernon Lakers.
Speaker 1: Oh and then there are they the Vipers now the Vipers now right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, back in Vernon in the nineteen nineties there was an owner melt list and they won a ton of Centennial Cups and the Vernon was the powerhouse team for many years. And so anyways, it was the Vernon Lakers he played for, not the Vernon Vipers.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's I got that info off. Cannucks, get your BC Hockey League stuff. I'll have to rip into Quadrellia But anyway, what do you know about Darren? What kind of rule is he taking with the Canucks all those sorts of things.
Speaker 5: Rick, Well, first of all, he works for Wasserman, which is a huge firm who represents Connor McDavid and Austin Matthews. He's going to be the Canucks a director of player development and player performance. Like when people think about agents, all they think about is so they just do contracts for guys four five six million a year. In an agency for agents for hockey players, there's a lot of layers and one of the layers is development. You can't just get a player as an agent in bantam or midget or junior. You've got to help him and guide him with development. So one thing that Darren does really well is he helps the bantam kid get to the Western Hockey League and then he helps the NHL drafted kid get to the NHL. So for Washerman, he was one of those guys that helped with and the people say, well, what's an agent got to do with development? He has a lot to do with development. With Washerman, he does a great job of when they get a kid at the bantam draft, they help guide that kid to the Western Hockey League. So for his agency, he worked with the kids. He knows player development. I think this is a good higher. Darren is well respected in the hockey circles in British Columbia. I think it's a good hire. And he works for my buddy, Rich Evans or White Rocks, my neighbor Rich Evans.
Speaker 1: How's his dog doing? Have you seen his dog recently?
Speaker 5: I have seen Rich because now I go to the gym Trevor Linda's Jim. I cut my walks down on the weekend, so I don't see Rich in the neighborhood anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, I'm sure. I'm sure he's heartbroken about that. Yes, it's interesting when you're describing Darren there. That fits a lot about what exactly is the the mo o of this whole organization right now. Big development of players, big time right moving players along within the organization, finding diamonds in the rough and you know, turning them into something, all that sort of thing. So everything you just said just completely jives with what they're doing. Now. You didn't say, though, that he's an AGM, and so is the assumption then that they are still looking for that person to fill Ryan Johnson's former role.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, they are looking for an assistant GM. I don't know if the assistant GM is going to be the assistant GM of Vancouver and Ron Abersford or there are two separate jobs. That remains to be seen. But they're still looking for an assistant GM, no question about it.
Speaker 1: And of course a head coach in abos.
Speaker 5: Fred as well. And he's got to find a good right hand man Ryan Johnson, because pack Quinn had Brian Burke, Burke had Dave notice Gillis said Gilman, Gillis head Gilman. Yep. It is imperative for general managers to have a good right hand man, you know, to help and guide and you know, and the trust level there as well. So I think he is looking for that guy. I do believe that now.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of people would say that's also Daniel and Henrick might be his right hand men.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, but no, no, no, not at all their presidents. But he's got a high he's got to find someone he can trust. Rutherford, he's an advisor. Well, hey, Jim's probably in Carolina right now on a golf course.
Speaker 1: I'm curious how much advising Jim's going to be doing for the team this year, I think. But anyway, that's besides the point, no kidding. We just mentioned we mentioned Manny so yesterday the big introductory press conference at Rogers Arena Rickson, we talked a lot as that was going on during the show yesterday. But you know, I heard you talk with Halfred and Broff this morning about it, the messaging out of it. If you if you haven't had a chance, like go watch the presser and that pressor was the exact same in terms of messaging and wording as Ryan Johnson's introductory pressor and Henrik Gananaseni's introductory pressor. Like this organization, I'm trying to remember the last time it was this aligned. Is it the Gillison Gilman era? Maybe might be because it's been fractured for so long. These four individuals now, Manny, Ryan, Dan and Henrik are just so on the same page. Yes, it's incredible, And that's when we heard out of Manny yesterday, all of the same things we're hearing with Ryan. It's not about wins and losses, it's about development. We're gonna take it slow, culture, setting a culture, all of these things like he's played. Yesterday's presser, it was like the greatest hits of what Canuck fans have been wanting to hear over this last little while. And I tweeted it out like it's a complete one eighty of the k Now it's bad for us, Yeah, because the chaos that came out of every Gym Rutherford press conference was gold for us.
Speaker 5: It's gone, it's gone, but there won't be no more chaos with these No, it's completely different. Feel, completely different. Feel. You're gonna say there is a cool calm field. Yeah, totally about this new regime. They articulate their thoughts in a very clear way for the fans in the media, and they're gonna practice what they preach. These guys are gonna roll up their sleeves and get the job done.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And there's no chaos tire fires with this group of people. It's a really good management team put together well.
Speaker 1: And the other thing you brought up, Brick is you know he mentioned things like body language, Like again he meant he mentioned things, and maybe it was just a complete coincidence, but he mentioned things that were clear issues that have been clear issues with this franchise, whether it's body language, attention to detailed body, all of these things body he meant, he Rany touched on those things yesterday and and again. I think it's I just think it's it's so refreshing that they're they're starting with baby staff here and they're not saying like, hey, we should you know, we got to achieve this goal by this season, and then next season it's gonna be this goal. Like it's all about want to We want to really have great practices and believe that those practices will turn into the games. All those sorts of little things, and we haven't heard them for so long, and we heard again Manny just echo all of the same things that Ryan's been talking about. It's just really refreshing to hear and and and.
Speaker 5: On the body language, I want to say this, some of the body languages some of the Canucks in the past two years horrible. He's gonna fix that. Yeah, there were players in Absperd. He gave tough love to man. He don't think he's this, you know, it's just a nice guy. You're gonna roll over him. No, I don't think he's gonna put up with bad body.
Speaker 1: I totally agree.
Speaker 5: I don't think so at all. There was tough love given the players in Abosper. Don't think it was just you know, he gave tough love to those that needed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Me and again very hands on. We heard Brandon Astell talk to us about that a couple of weeks ago, Rick that he was on the ice with this scratches the day of a game. You know how often has that happen. Just incredibly involved and I think that's going to carry over here as well. One thing that was in that presser that we didn't react to yesterday, which of course is the million dollar question of how is Manny Majochu going to handle Elias Petterson. That's what he was asked about. This was the clip from Manny. You got this clip, Derek Manny. This was Manny talking about EP forty yesterday during the press conference.
Speaker 7: To answer your question, I have not spoken with him yet, and as I was saying before, with every player, my goal is to help him find his game. And we all know what he's capable of doing, the talent that he possesses and the ability that he has on the ice. One of the things that I love most about coaching is finding that connection with players and finding what makes them tick and how to get the best out of them. So it's it's on myself and the staff to help him find his best game and to be the player that we know he's capable of being.
Speaker 5: Now, look at I know he's in his eighth year.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know what you're helping him.
Speaker 5: Do you think Colorado helps Nathan McKinnon be the best player he is? No, he goes out there and he does it what superstars and high paid players is. I think the energy this franchise has spent on that player in the past two years is crazy. It's crazy. There's an expectation when you're the highest paid player on a team to bring it. But this this is his third coach in two years that's gonna try and fix them. If Rick Tocket couldn't fix him, Adam Foot couldn't fix them, I don't know how many Maholtra is going to fix them.
Speaker 1: Well, and we'll see what happens. Right, it might all be wasting air because maybe something does happen in the offseason and he has moved out of this organization. I'm not sure. I am curious though, Rick, because again, Manny basically took the same stance as Ryan Johnson.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Ryan Johnson Toya told media the other day that he he had talked to Elias Petterson and essentially said, there's no expectations, like just come in and and and we're gonna go from there. Now I'm curious is if they're just doing the exact opposite of everything Alvin and Rutherford did. Because Rutherford was very public about this guy doesn't train well, he needs to train better, he needs to come into camp better, all those sorts of things. He's very public putting pressure on him.
Speaker 5: But you're wasting so much energy as a franchise on one player who's into his ninth season.
Speaker 1: I just don't I don't see how he jives with everything these guys are talking about. Now, that's easier said than that. I don't remember about eleven points.
Speaker 5: I think the side twins and you're not.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean.
Speaker 5: The coach was telling the Sadek Twins that I gotta help I gotta help the Sadeen Twins turn it around like it's just it's it's it's bizarre how much this team is spending energy wise on trying to fix this player.
Speaker 1: Right, and and let's be honest, I mean maybe not so much Manny, Henrik, Daniel Ryan. They've been with all these regimes that have come through trying to fix this guy. They know, they know the entire book on this guy.
Speaker 5: There's only one guy that's gonna fix this guy. Yeah, it's it's him. It's him.
Speaker 1: By the way, multiple people in our.
Speaker 5: Why you brought up Vernon? He played four games? It doesn't matter, it does. You didn't say what you played.
Speaker 1: Did you play bh O games?
Speaker 5: Yes, they didn't. You didn't say what years?
Speaker 1: This is unsigned. Darren Hermstrom played for Vernon in five six they were the Vipers then, not the Lakers.
Speaker 5: Ryan, You're right, four games wrong? Why would you bring up Vernon? He played four games, It doesn't matter. He played more games than you and I in the BHL. He gotta give him credit because a lot of people say, oh, what's he done, He's just an agent. Maybe he hasn't played well.
Speaker 1: He did. He played hockey. He's played hockey other level as well, but he did play in the bh.
Speaker 5: Anyways, I just loved the Vernon Lakers of the early nineties. They won a lot of Centennial Cups with Melis as the owner.
Speaker 1: Of course, if it happened in the early nineties, it's okay for you, Okay. As the program goes on, we'll talk more about the Canucks and as I mentioned, last night's Game two Wild Game two, that was a bit of a snooze, but then it rebounded late, you know, the final ten minutes and beyond electric electric, So we'll talk about that, will break it down as the show goes along. Some interesting comments from MLS Commissioner Don Garber yesterday in Montreal, not Vancouver, but in Montreal, so we'll talk about those. A couple of little tidbits about the Canadian soccer team, the men's team, which is in action today today four point thirty in Montreal. They're taking on Ireland Rickets their final World Cup friendly today for Canada, and so we'll talk a little about that as the show goes. Show goes on. There's also been a apparently a trade request in the nhl't we'll chat about absolutely. Eleven o'clock, Moje is going to join us. We'll talk Lions, Canucks and much more. I want to get his thoughts on Russell Wilson as well. Moch because of course he's covered the Seahawks for quite a long time. So and if you missed it, by the way, Russell Wilson retiring officially earlier this week. He's stepping into the CBS NFL Realm as a TV analyst, so we'll talk to moj about him and more. Thomas Drantso is up next. He's in Buffalo.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think he's still in Buffalo, but he's been there for the athletics scouting compound is Scouting combine is going on. I think today's media day where all the media members get to chat with the prospect today. So a lot happening in Buffalo. But we'll talk to Drants next about the Canucks. Thanks for tuning in, everybody. I'm Ryan Anderson alongside Rick Dollywell, it's Donnie Dolly the team on check.
Speaker 5: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 6: The team is supported by Abelauctions dot ca A Closing your Business We Can Help.
Speaker 4: Able Auction specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 5: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 4: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at Ableauctions dot Ca. That's sales at ab LA Auctions dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Going to be joined by our friend Thomas Drantz in a moment here. All of our guests today are brought to you by the BC Construction Safety Alliance, making safety simpler for more than fifty seven thousand employers across the province. Want to bring the BCCSA to your job site. Safety on Tour delivers dynamic mobile safety demonstrations directly to your workplace at no cost to you. Visit Safety on Tour dot Ca to book your free Safety on Tour demo. As mentioned Thomas Drantz from the Athletic and Sports at six to fifty hanging out in Buffalo. Rick yeh at the combine, but he's made some time for us today, Tom, are you.
Speaker 5: Sir, gentlemen.
Speaker 8: I'm doing well, but in an interesting week in Buffalo as it turns into a ghost town. Most of the agents and general managers departed this morning or last night, but of course media availabilities with the top prospects and testing are now sort of beginning, so it's the actual combine stuff as that starts. In some ways, the action dies down from a reporter's perspective. Gonna be interesting. I've never covered the combine before, but it was a ton of fun, Rick, You'd love it. I feel like this is your oh place, you would especially enjoy it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But I've been texting those guys in Buffalo non stop all week anyways.
Speaker 1: For sure, of course, But the problem is there's not enough Crown in Buffalo.
Speaker 5: Those guys, believe me, those guys don't want to see me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that too, that as well.
Speaker 5: They texting is enough.
Speaker 8: Hey, Just to give everyone a sense of Rick's work ethic, I had an agent ask me about Rick today or maybe us yesterday and say I've heard from Ray every day by text for the last twenty five years.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did he look drained when he said that, Thomas, Like, was he like, oh wow? Okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, No, it was like it was a it was a very it was a positive wow.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 8: And I only I'm because it's a compliment.
Speaker 1: We'll talk more about the combine in a minute, Thomas. But yesterday Manny Malhultra officially unveiled is the Canucks head coach. Best thing I know you weren't there, but you've obviously heard his comments. Best thing you heard from Manny yesterday was.
Speaker 8: You know, honestly, I think it's a through line that was reflected in a variety of comments that he made, and it's there's a concise and thoughtful style of communication where he can be asked a question that could be thorny, right, and he answers it in a way that's like respectful, honest, straightforward and sort of answers the question uestionin completely. So I thought the Caleb Malhotra formulation where in my house, I'm either coach or I'm dad, and my son gets to pick who he wants to talk to, right, And that's such a revealing indicator of the sort of dynamic at play, but also sort of gives us a framework, I think too to understand, you know, how thoughtful and intentional Malhotra is. I thought the question about being the first NHL head coach of South Asian descent, right, and the idea that you know, it's not something that I'm judging myself on, but I respect that it matters a lot to people in my community. I thought that was handled in a way that, you know, it didn't downplay the importance or the significance of the milestone, but also made it very clear that that's not how malhot reviews himself or wants to be judged. He wants to be judged on his merits, plain and simple. You know. I thought the idea of finding joy helping guys find joy in the NHL, I thought that was another example of it where you know, it's not about wins and losses, it's about coming to the rink and say these moments, right. And I thought that came coming on the heels of Ryan Johnson's sort of communication, This idea that when you tell guys, oh, this is how we did it in my day, or you know, you're you're centering yourself, and guys put up a wall, they tune out right right after that comment, Malhotra does the finding joy idea, right, And it's just this distillation, right that this is a guy who was, you know, a top prospect and then he was trade bait, right, and then he didn't deliver as a first line player, but carved out, you know, an exceptional NHL career as a middle six defensive guy, and then you know, was on a PTO in San Jose and had to earn his way onto the roster and had a great season and signed the big free agent contract, like the idea that you have to savor this. It's a privilege to play in this league. This is the best time of our lives, and we need to behave and conduct ourselves as if that's the case. You know, I think there's a real sort of practice what you preach, like that's the benefit of experience. This is a guy who knows and has seen the game as a player, as an assistant, as a head coach, as an American League coach, from just about every possible angle. And he's also a guy who knows better than most how fleeting it can be, how quickly it can all be taken away, right, And so you know, right after Johnson was saying, our experience will inform what we say, but it's not going to be you know, us just talking about our experiences in a way that guys find it easy to ignore. Like right after he said that, we got a real time example of it in a very concise, compelling way from Malhotra that I also think sort of speaks to the heart of some of that sneering joylessness that surrounded this team over the past five years. So I think more than anything, it was like the methodical, concise way that he communicates that really jumped off the screen or the diist to me in consuming and thinking about that press conference.
Speaker 1: This is a little bit of a tease on our poll question, which we'll talk about internet next segment. Thomas, But what is Manny's number one job at least for next season?
Speaker 8: I mean, for me, honestly, I think it's going to be to accumulate basic common sense decisions that aid in this team not just developing young players, but also gaining the information they need to evaluate their players period. So you know, I thought there was a lot of money left on the table, a lot of stuff, a lot of money left in the coach cushions by the coaching staff last year. You know, losing faith in tol Apillo, your young goaltender who getting every bit of information about how prepared he is at the NHL level, felt high leverage to me, especially given thatcher Demco's long standing durability issues and the fact that he's you know, going to require waivers this fall, they start linking in eight games in a row because they lose one bad. Tolpelo start against Seattle and then Lankenin gets hurt and Tolapilo comes in in that game against Calgary and his confidence is shot, And now you've sort of missed this opportunity to have a sense of whether or not this guy's an NHL goaltender. Like that can't be happening, right. You're gonna need to make decisions, and Malhotra is going to need to make decisions that are more about managing the value of certain players or giving players opportunities that they might not be ready for than they are about winning hockey games. And more than anything, I think if this team's really careful and sharp about how they design those opportunities, how they go about creating value and protecting young guys from being thrown into the deep end and really like struggling for it, which I think happened universally, for example, to the Vancouver's three young defenseman last season. You know all of that stuff, That's the thing that I most want to see. I want to see this organization be really thoughtful about how they deploy their resources to gain information and evaluate players, especially given the wins are going to be secondary to the overall process. For me, that's number one.
Speaker 5: All right, Thomas, that's the problem. I'm texting an agent right now in Buffalo. Yeah. Anyways, Thomas, listen, Canucks have some management hires coming up here, assistant GM, and we hear you know, Darren Hermiston is going to be involved. What's your read on the assistant GM job. Where all these people are going to fit in, because there's a lot of hires to be made.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of hires to be made. Really interesting to me, Rick overall, how exactly they're going to approach all of this? You know, I think with regards to the assistant GM, you know, I look at this organization and think what they really need, what they're really desperate for is is some experience. Right And by the way, I think the same is going to apply to many Maltrest staff. You know, you've got a first time coach, a first time general manager, and two first time co presidents. Additionally, you know, when you move on from Jim Rutherford as a day to day resource for the organization and move on from Patrick Alvin, whether you think those moves were necessary or not. You're losing five and a half combined decades of experience working in hockey, hockey operations environments.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: Right now, you sort of look through the Canucks front office and the assistant general managers right are. They've been on the job for about three years, and their portfolios weren't necessarily huge relative to like an Evan gold Right, who runs the R and D department and does the cap and contract negotiations and manages the American League team in Boston. Just to use an example that's familiar to Canuck expands from sort of the last few years, Like that's not been the portfolio of an Emily Castungay or a Cammi Granado. Which isn't to say they can't handle it. It's just to say that they haven't been put in that position. So I feel like they need some executors. It does seem like Ryan Johnson's maybe a little bit underwater in terms of the workflow. Bringing in some people who've sort of been through the battles, have seen everything, can can sort of execute, I think, to aid in what's a pretty inexperienced front office, I think that's going to be critical. I like them also exploring young, up and coming smart guys like Hermiston, Right, I think that's good. I don't think the need for experience precludes you from also, you know, dipping into your contacts and picking some of the smartest guys you know around the around the game. But I do think some experience for the front office, to me, is going to be an absolutely critical thing that this organization is going to need to add. And I think the same is going to be true on many Mahotra's coaching staff. Like I think that was a big problem for Adam Foot in his first season. I think they didn't have a guy who'd sort of been through it on the staff, and I think that was a problem. I don't want to see a repeat of that. Right, We're hearing the right things from these four gentlemen at the top of the Cannuckts sort of hockey operations hierarchy in various roles. I think we all believe in their vision. I think we all believe in their character, right, the caliber of who these people are, and the fact that they get what this organization needs and they get what this organization is all about. What I want to see is this organization begin to put in place the things needed to put them in a position to succeed too. And I think some experienced hands to be added to the group. I think that's going to be necessary, especially because this team has a lot to do. The stakes are enormously high, and you know, like I hope they can pull off this nearly impossible task of rebuilding during an era of cap growth. They're basically attempting one of the hardest maneuvers we've seen in the NHL, in NHL team building in twenty five years. That's let's make no mistake about what they've inherited in what they have to do here. And I think some experience and people who've been through it, I think would be a welcome addition, in fact, a necessary addition to this front office structure.
Speaker 5: All Right, you're in Buffalo. What's the feel when you talk to people about the Canucks. Is it going to be Maddy Mulultro's kid, Caleb with the third pick? What's your guts in? After talking about the Yeah.
Speaker 8: The industry seems to believe. So that's why they had Yeah. They followed him around very closely during the OHL playoffs. I think there's a lot of industry folks, comparing it closely to the way Verbeek tracked Beckett Seneca, who went third overall, and it was something of a surprise. But to the people who were paying attention to who was at the games, who was at the OHL playoff games, it maybe wasn't as big a surprise as it was to the rest of us, including the Seneca himself. So, you know, it does seem like the industry itself expects at this point. The Canucks, to you know, have have narrowed in on Caleb Malhotra as their choice. Which isn't to say that the decision is made or that the discussion is settled. I'm sure there's more to come. The club obviously interviewed and talked to a variety of the top picks, took out, you know, guys like Chase Reid for dinner. I've always heard that they were really high on Chase Reid throughout this process too. And we'll see what san Jose does. I think san Jose's intentions are inscrutable, very difficult to parse exactly what san Jose intends to do, right, So they're going to keep people guessing, and that's part of this story as well, So we'll see. But I certainly think the buzz that you're hearing generally, like on Twitter, on social media, this idea of like the Canucks being linked to Kala Malhotra. I think that matches the assumptions of a variety of people in the industry, you know, including like rival scouting directors, agents of top prospects. A lot of people seem to believe that the smoke around the Canucks and Kala Malhotra is very real.
Speaker 5: Yep, it is.
Speaker 1: And you posted an article this morning, Tom about the NHL combine notes you're hearing so far this Vigo Byorke. Is he like the buzziest name in terms of the way he's risen in the draft?
Speaker 5: Is he like is he.
Speaker 1: Getting the most chatter at the combine?
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know. I mean his meetings were with Florida and Seattle, which suggests that the industry still suspects his range is more top ten than top five. So I think it'll still be a bit of a surprise if he bumps into you know, the sort of tier above where he's generally been considered. I think the uniqueness of b York is that for a lot of players with his profile, you usually have the translatability concerns is he fast enough at his size to make a difference in the NHL. But everyone just saw him, you know, hunt down Nico heescher on, you know, while backtracking, backtracking off rush defensive sequences at the World Everyone just saw him win battles against Ryan O'Reilly, both in the face off circle and on the wall. So those translatability concerns have kind of been answered. Also, he's gonna interview. Well, he speaks perfect English, right, I mean, his command of the language is complete, one hundred percent. And you know that's not necessarily true even for a kid like Evar Stenberg, right, who's you know, English is solid strong, but it's not at the level that you know, a Stockholm kid like at Yorkss. So that's going to be part of the story too. Yeah, he's pretty buzzy this week. A lot of rumors about teams interested in trading up and and on and on. So he's definitely been central to a lot of conversations that certainly I've been having or that I've been overhearing during my time in Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Well, we appreciate you making some time Thomas, enjoyed your remaining days there in Buffalo, and we'll chat with you next week.
Speaker 8: I'm a big Buffalo guy, man, I'm not unhappy to be here. Do you have the wings day out there too?
Speaker 1: Do you have wings there?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: Do you?
Speaker 8: I had wings? I was working too late, so I missed Gabriel's Gate and I had to go to a bar with a better television. But I had some wings. I had some wings.
Speaker 5: Yesterday was well, okay, nice, very nice, very nice, nice. Thanks Thomas.
Speaker 1: Thomas Drants from the Athletic at Sports at six fifty and as I mentioned, he released an article this morning Rick on the Athletics website with some notes from the Combine about Stenbourg, b York and also the rut Twins. We're going to talk about them on the other side because you got something on the Ruck Brothers as well. We'll talk about a pole question for the first time as well. It's Donny the team on check.
Speaker 5: Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway.
Speaker 4: Head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean front resort where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget from Sunrise Walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio. Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splash in the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five ozho two four eight eight couple three.
Speaker 5: Your Island adventure starts here.
Speaker 1: Time now to set up the Waddling Dog pole question for the first time on today's show, Experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations and.
Speaker 5: Catch the World Cup at the Dog.
Speaker 1: Canada games are gonna be shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the Dog today, Rick all.
Speaker 5: Right, Quentin, get her up the Waddling Dog. Pop poll question. What is Manny Maholter's number one job as Canucks head coach? Is it to turn around EP forty, develop young players, improve culture, or lose games? Look at this Develop young players is leading at sixty four percent. Then comes improve the culture way down and I'm a little surprised at this turn around, Patterson, you surprised four percent? Why did you put it up there?
Speaker 1: Because because of what you know we talked about in the first segment, Utah games lose games is at zero.
Speaker 5: That was tongue in cheeked. I told you not to put that up. Quinn came up with it. Quinn came up with that, but to develop young players. And when you look at why they made the coaching change, you know Adam Foot was hired to win, not drop to thirty second place and go into a rebuild. So would he have been that guy to develop young players? Manny's been developing young players for the last two years in Abasburg. It makes a lot of sense. So I think this poll is right on develop young players because guess what the Canucks have I believe twenty eight picks over the next three years, So there's a slew of young kids coming. How they developed them in abspert and then how he develops the Manny in Vancouver is going to be the key.
Speaker 1: I think that number for EP forty Rick, it just tells you, I think more than anything of what you said people that up, why is the why? Like what the third coach is going to be the guy that unlocks him. This is the third, you know, at least since his slump. It'll be his third coach.
Speaker 5: Rick talkin could not fix Petterson. Yeah, Adam Foot couldn't fix them. Well, how's Manny going to fix them? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like I I think it's all on him if he wants to turn things.
Speaker 5: Bonus is always on the player always.
Speaker 1: Okay, we talked about it, Drance. It was in Buffalo. He's in Buffalo at the scouting combine.
Speaker 5: Rick.
Speaker 1: The Ruck brothers, Liam Marcus, they boys PC boys course from a soy use playing at Medicine. Hat more than likely the first one is gonna go in the late first round, then the second one. I think Liam is the consensus higher of the two. But they're very close together. But you have some information Rick on what they're gonna be up to next year, regardless of way where they get drafted in June.
Speaker 5: Forget about next year, what about today. The Caducks are having separate meetings with the Ruck brothers today in Buffalo at the combine. So one of the Rucks is met with twenty five teams, that's Liam. The other rucks met with about twenty teams. The Canucks are going to talk with both today separately. They are twin brothers, but they're gonna do separate interviews with Vancouver today. They have decided to go back to medicine Hat. This is big for the Western Hockey League because the Western Hockey League has been hit so hard with elite players going to the NCAA. These two players, and I mentioned this on the show last week, they're gonna go back to medicine Hat, which is massive because they're probably gonna end up leading the league in scoring next year. Willie Desjarden is gonna be very happy that they've elected to stay. They had a ton of colleges after them. They said, no, we're gonna go to medicine Hat, and maybe they win it all next year in medicine Hat. I don't know the other thing I want to tell you about the Ruck brothers. There are going to be NHL teams that try and draft both.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: It's going to be hard because a lot of teams have one of the Rucks around twenty twenty one. The second Ruck is either late first, early second, So how is a team gonna draft both. It's going to be hard because they're separated by about ten to twelve picks in a lot of teams eyes the sedeen twins were easy to trade for, not easy, but their skill levels were together second and third, Brian Burke did it made a lot of sense. So these two Ruck brothers, there is going to be teams that are gonna try real hard to draft both. We'll see if they can pull it off. It's going to be hard. But the other thing about the Rucks and obviously BC Boys, it's gonna be great. Keep an eye on Calgary. Calgary Flames have four picks in the second round. They have a ton of picks. Calgary's gotta and they look at right there medicine hat Alberta. Calgary makes a lot of sense. They've been watching them all year. They're two feet away. So anyways, we'll keep an eye on the Ruck brothers. But they are gonna meet with the Vancouver Canucks today in Buffalo at the Combine.
Speaker 1: It'll be very interesting to see Rick if a team pulls off getting both of them, it'll be very interesting if they don't, only because you know, we talked with Corey Pramman last week and he told us the sample size of them playing.
Speaker 5: A part is so small.
Speaker 1: What are you getting if they're I mean, they're obviously talented and hockey players, But what are you getting if you don't get them together? I mean that would be that's up to scouts in to figure things.
Speaker 5: Well, you're they go to a team.
Speaker 9: I think it's more risky to take one of them than it is.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean. That's what I'm saying. So that's why I'm curious. Let's say Calgary. Let's just pick Calgary for instance, they draft the first one. Is that second team gonna want to take the second one?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't I almost think it'll fall to them, even if it is fifteen.
Speaker 5: Picks different the better one Rick, I think it's Liam.
Speaker 1: I think Liam is the.
Speaker 10: Is the more if Liam gets picked in the first round, I don't like, why would another team pick.
Speaker 1: Marcus, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: Yeah, when he's like less less touted as him.
Speaker 1: I just don't like, what would your what would your intelligence be saying? Again, with the fact we've barely seen them apart, what would they be saying that, Oh, yeah, now you should go out and just get one of them. I think it might end up falling to a team that you know, whoever gets the first one is probably gonna end up getting the second, even if they're split pickwise. It would just be very odd if you just take a chance on just the second one.
Speaker 5: But it will see.
Speaker 1: If they get drafted here somehow, some way, it would be incredible story cool. You know, you get the Daniel and Henrik now in this elevated role of presidents, and in their first draft in that role, they there's a set of twins back in the organization from this province. It would be something very very special. And you're right Rick about the WHL. I just want to say, because there's so much chatter about guys leaving. Who knows what happens with Land and DuPont out of Everett if he goes or whatever. We know what's happening with Ryan Land, et cetera. The fact they're staying is great to see because I'm really concerned about the WHL and these guys jumping ship and I don't necessarily know it's the right move for them to jump to go to the NC double A. And we'll see as things shake out over time and more and more guys do it, and we'll be able to get a sense of if it was worth it or not. But the fact they've already said they're gonna stay is a massive thing for the WHL.
Speaker 5: They're gonna stay, They're gonna play with Willie d and Medicine Hat. You know, they're probably gonna have a good shot to win the WESTERNOCA League title next year and then they can go to the NC Double the year after. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So still a lot of time anyway, Interesting stuff happening at the scouting compine, As Drant said, the media portion players prospects meeting with the media today. Fitness testing coming up on the weekend. Uh okay, time to talk about our title sponsor Able auctions Saturday Rack tomorrow Able is going to sell the final inventory of West Coast appliances, brand new appliances including Napoleon, Tregger, Crown, Verity, barbecues, Dome, pizza ovens, Smeg Frigidaire, and Samsung Fridges, stoves, cook tops and microwaves that go back to if you can there to the other slide. Just for a second, I think that one in the middle there is a smoker. It's one of those eggs smokers.
Speaker 11: The smoker thing I don't really get it's for smoking. Yeah, I understand what it's for, but you got to smoke the like if it's roast or whatever for like hours and hours, ten twelve hours.
Speaker 1: It is it meaning worth it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Maybe it is worth it?
Speaker 5: Is it? What's the big deal? I just know I would love I need a barbecue expert out there to tell me.
Speaker 1: Is it truly different?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is it truly different? I don't know.
Speaker 10: I don't do I don't do that stuff, but I fall like a bunch of people on social media who do, and every it gets so it looks so good when it's slow roasting stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but again it's so much work, Like who is all these times?
Speaker 1: It's the same people that do like the slow cooker thing.
Speaker 9: For some people, it's like a hobby.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're right, it's a passion for some people. Yeah, hundreds of brand new appliances plus mattresses, rick, so you can get yourself a smoker and a mattress, eat and then lie down patio sets all you know, listen, but.
Speaker 5: You don't want to lie down after you eat. They're doing to digest and then you know now they're saying, and I know that. Who is they? Doctors? I read a lot, a lot you do?
Speaker 1: You do read a.
Speaker 5: Lot on health after eating. Now they want you to walk ten minutes after eat to help with digestion, help with blood sugar it doesn't spike as much and then all this stuff. Just listen. Is that what you do when I give you tips like that? The doctors want you to walk? But do you do that? I do it? Five? I take the dog for a walk. Okay, five to ten minutes.
Speaker 9: What about after your three bananas?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, no, no, no. They're talking about a meal, a meal, a full meal to keep your blood sugar intact. They want you to walk five ten minutes after a meal. See. I don't know if you've seen this apple ad that's on right now. Hey google it.
Speaker 9: I believe it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Quinn, google it, you'll it's true.
Speaker 1: This apple ad right now is a very good one. It's all about health. And this woman has her device and she's you know, concerned about her health. And there's nine million opinions that from every person about health. That's what you're doing right now.
Speaker 9: I do research.
Speaker 1: I do do you do do a lot of medical research bringing you the goods information on this auction health much more. Go to able Auctions dot ca A to get your business assets sold the auction email sales at able Auctions dot say that is sales at a b l E Auctions dot big Rye the Twitter guy featuring Quinn Taylor is next. It's Donnie Dolly the team on check time now for big Rye featuring Quinn Taylor. Just in a second, this is Joe and Nanaimo and our base side ocean front resort inbox. After our last conversation about smokers, smoker's tender eyes and enhance meat flavor. It's worth it. Yes, that's Joe and Nanaimo, and we're getting others as well, including NBI Raj telling me that the set it and forget it function of a smoker is a cooker's best friend. So I guess it is worth it.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 1: I I just don't.
Speaker 9: What if you forget it for too long?
Speaker 1: Well then that's a big problem.
Speaker 5: Quick.
Speaker 1: That's that's you know what that is? That's we're ordering pizza for dinner, is what that is?
Speaker 9: Well, no, you're probably saving your house out.
Speaker 1: Well that is well, that is well okay, big Rye and again on Fridays and also Monday because Donnie's off on Monday, Quinn is handling big rise son, what do you got taking off? What you got is he's slacking, man. Let me tell you.
Speaker 10: Okay, this came out earlier in the week and you guys never talked about it, But the NHL they're doing a new all star game format starting the next year. Uh, they're gonna do a you. The first thing that they're going to do is instead of doing just where everybody participates in the skill skills event and nobody cares and it's terrible TV, they're gonna have it just be U twenty five players for the skill competition yea. And in the skill competition with the U twenty five players, Uh, the winner of it gets a one million dollars, So it's way more's biggest sent for them, especially when they're twenty five probably making not much. And then after that, the second day is gonna be a three on three round robin between five international teams USA, Canada, Sweden, filland and then rest of the world. So it'll be like, you know, Russia, yeky, like all those counties coming together. I think this is really cool, Like I think this is way better than the old format. The old format after go to four nations and library, there's no way you could could go back to the old format. Nobody would care. Like I'm not even talking about waste. The tires would not care.
Speaker 1: Well. The one thing though, I do worry about, though, is the like, are you are you going to overutilize country on country?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 9: I think you should embrace it.
Speaker 5: I like this, Yeah, embrace it's.
Speaker 1: It's long Island, by the way, is where the All Star Game is, because remember they got they were supposed to have it, and then the Olympics obviously made that not happen, so they're going to host the uh the All Star Game next year.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just worry a little bit about, like I say, you're doing so, you're doing the All Star Game now country based. We know about the World Cup yep, right, then you're gonna have the Olympics now, I mean, is it. I'm down for anything you want to try to improve the All Star Game and the skills competition for that matter, because I think both things are incredibly stale, and the U twenty five aspect Quinn of the skills I think will only be a positive because, like you say, you're gonna have money in the line that's gonna tice these kids, and you're gonna have a lot of creative a lot of creative juice there with these younger players. And that's what we see in the league is you see the lacrosse moves and all that, it's usually from the younger players. So I think the skills competition will be.
Speaker 10: I like the country on country and I think I think like the NHL and like hockey and general should like totally embrace the international aspect of the international competition where you've see the twelve years and finally bring it back. And then the viewership this year or the Game one was four point eight million, highest since twenty nineteen. Yeah, Like that's totally a reason why. I think the more they embrace it, the better and more eyes that gets the gets on hockey. So I think it's all along.
Speaker 5: Anything to four nations was massive, it was. It was a huge hit.
Speaker 1: This will not be four nations.
Speaker 10: But I mean, I don't know, like if whoever loses, if Canada beats the States or States beats Canada, like social media is gonna crazy.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, I'll be curious to see the level of play. You're not gonna see hitting. You're just not going to. But do you see more pace than what we've seen the possibility. It's a round robin tournament, by the way, each team is gonna play four or five minute games. Yeah, no overtime, no shootout. Top two teams from the round robin advance to a ten minute final based on a point system that's accumulated during the round robin, and the winning team gets two million bucks. So again, they're putting some money on the line at the end of it. With the whole they have to do something entice to do some players. Yeah, give them credit for trying. Let's see if it works. Yeah, no, I agree, I agree on that. You got something else there.
Speaker 9: Quinn just.
Speaker 10: Well, again, like this happened yesterday. But Dylan lark And questioned the trade from the Troy red Wicks.
Speaker 9: That's crazy.
Speaker 10: A lot of people are saying he's gonna probably gonna go Minnesota because it makes sense because they have such a desperate need for a center. He's also a lot of very tight hold but they don't really have anything.
Speaker 5: A ton of teams are looking for a centiment. Yeah, Philadelphia, Boston, you know this probably good Minnesota. There's a ton of teams looking for this guy. There's gonna be a ton of interest in this guy. You know what.
Speaker 10: This probably isn't good news for the Cocks because since the center market this offseason is so bare and there's just nothing to nothing to get, especially in UFA, like when Boone Jenner's the number one center.
Speaker 9: I don't know what we're talking about.
Speaker 10: Petterson probably had a lot of people looking at him for that, like probably and then now with Larkin, Larkin's obviously going to be the bigger fish.
Speaker 1: I wondered about the Petterson thing. The only saving grace with Petterson is what you just said, Quinn, is that there is nothing on the free agent market. So if there's nothing on the free agent market and some team needs to improve their center depth by or needs a second line center, I think there's a team that will talk themselves into EP forty, how the deal looks, how it's structured, with bad money back, all those sorts of things that can come. But I think there will be a team out there that will talk themselves into he just needs to change the scenery. We know that he can this, this, this and whatever, and they can talk themselves into it. Larkin's obviously the number one target on the board now and credit to Elliott for breaking this. He in this blog he posted yesterday ahead of Game two, he said, no one is going to talk. He said that Larkin didn't talk, his agents didn't talk. Eisman didn't talk, but he said there appear to be two critical factors with the rationale here, Detroit's inability to make the playoffs and a somewhat frosty relationship between the captain and the team's top.
Speaker 5: So two years ago, Steve Eiserman made no moves of the deadline to improve the Red Wings playoff chances, and he came out and said, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, that's right. So and this year, Rick he panicked and gave up a first round pick for Justin Falk. That was their big move because they were trying to take the swing for Quinn Hughes. That apparently was hinging on Hughes agreeing to an extension, which wasn't going to happen, and so that fizzled out. But it's just a very interesting dynamic in Detroit.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Steve Eisman, obviously a legend with the franchise.
Speaker 9: Would you keep them. Well.
Speaker 1: See, this is the conundrum, is like, are you going to fire Steve Iisman at the Detroit Red Wings.
Speaker 9: He if his name wasn't Steve Iiman, Wow.
Speaker 1: He would be gone. He would be I think he'd be gone because you haven't seen the fruits of the eyes are plant or the plan that he always talks about.
Speaker 5: Ten years, they haven't made that wild this year. They were in a playoff spot for a good chunk of the season and then they faltered down the stretch. He's got the same agent as Eliets Patterson. What is very interesting to me is that this guy told his agents to ask for a trade out of Detroit. Petterson has never asked his agents for a trade out of Vancouver. This guy wants out of Detroit because he's tired of the losing and he doesn't like Iierman. Petterson's only made the playoffs twice in Vancouver in eight years. Yeah, very interesting stuff. Yeah, yeah, we'll see how this this unfolding Detroit.
Speaker 9: He also has a no move clause kind of control.
Speaker 1: He controls it. But it's it's also interesting. You know people are bringing up again back to the country thing is here's another American I know, playing in an American city, but another American that was on that US Olympic roster that's asking out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: I put hold on his seck. I mean, he's basically telling you, I'm tired.
Speaker 1: Sure, he's asking out.
Speaker 5: He's thirty years old, his time is running out. He's not twenty one asking.
Speaker 1: For tu Still, Rick, it's still enough. You've had Matthew K Chuck move out of Calgary, You've had Quing move out of here. You're gonna maybe have Larkin move out. Every every sing who knows about hell about the future.
Speaker 10: Like when I saw this, I was pretty happy that it was an America, American player one.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and we weren't gonna have to have that conversation again about it.
Speaker 5: I don't have to worry. I know that I agree. I agree with you on that. Okay.
Speaker 1: Up next, we're to talk more about the Vancouver Canucks and also about the BC Lions CFL season. Rick got under way last night last night over tire, Yes and Hamilton went to overtime, so we talked to MOJ about the Lions and the Canucks. Next, Bob the Mojmarjonovitch is on the program it's Donny Dully the team on Check.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 5: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 4: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five to oho eighty eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot ca.
Speaker 12: All of our guests today, including Modes Standing By, are brought to you by our friends, the BC Construction Safety Alliance, making safety simpler for more than fifty seven thousand employers across the province.
Speaker 1: Want to bring the BCCSA to your job site. Safety on Tour delivers dynamic mobile safety demonstrations directly to your workplace at no cost to you. Visit Safety on Tour dot caa to book your free Safety on Tour demonstration. We are joined now by our good pal Voice of the British Columbia Alliance and calling for Black Press, Bob the moj Marjonovic moj how are.
Speaker 3: You, sir, gentlemen? How you guys doing that?
Speaker 5: What the heck? Okay?
Speaker 1: So if we were people on the podcast, Moje has his background as usual, and he's got Donnie and Rick in a in a hospital bed.
Speaker 5: What the heck?
Speaker 1: Well, because mos supposed to be on Wednesday and YouTube right right, So you're saying I was sick because of the Crown man, Well, it's called the It's called the flu Bob, the.
Speaker 3: Flu rch security footage right there, you and Dane are slided.
Speaker 5: By side two old men.
Speaker 9: I love it.
Speaker 5: Those poor nurses if that was ever the case, let me tell you those.
Speaker 1: Poor nurses, uh moch. Yesterday, Manny Mahoultra officially introduced to the media as the twenty third head coach of the Canucks. I think I feel like we're I feel like we're maybe we're overdoing this. But the symmetry between Ryan Johnson, Manny and the Sedines is just so impressive. Did you get that again yesterday? Hearing from and very much similar from what we've heard from Ryan and the twins as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, alignment, that's that's what you're looking for. But you know it's interesting. I want out for dinner last night with a couple of friends, one who well both are extremely successful, but one is like stupid successful, and we were talking about they were talking about, you know, what makes their companies do well, and they just talked about the fact that you got to go and get good people, right and if you look at the Canucks and their hires, they went out and they got good people. I don't know if you remember this story, Ryan, I think, oh, I know it is. Mike Gillis had told it to us. I think it was when b Mac and Donnie and I were doing the show, and he said that when he was in New York one time, they had dinner and Manny was obviously one of his guys, and they had dinner when Manny was with the Rangers, and I didn't even Powell was there. I can't recall, but I do remember the story where Mike talked about Gillis or pardon me, Malhotra leaving the restaurant and as he looked outside, Manny was is either giving his his takeaway or you know, giving some money to a person. And you know, he just realized what type of person Manny Malhotra was, just by that little, you know, that little incident there. So you know, that's the type of guy that you're dealing with, that's the type of people that you have. I mean the Sedines are quality of people. You talked about them wanting to get back into the community more, getting the organization back in there more. And and I know people will say, well, what's that got to do with hockey, right, Well, it has a lot to do with your culture. And if you want to win a championship, it doesn't take a team, it takes an organization. Means everybody in the building that works at Rogers Arena has to invest. It's one of the things that you know, ironically enough, Vegas playing in the finals. I remember George McPhee talking about when they win the cup, so everybody checked their egos at the door. Those are the players and the coaches. Is everyone equipment guys, scouts, you know, trainers, you name it. You need everybody to be part of it. And I think when you have people like the Sedines and Ryan Johnson and Manny mahuldron board, they're gonna get those people invested.
Speaker 1: I do remember that. Give a story, Emoje, I know you're bang on with it. Tell us a lot about about Manny. The guys talked a lot yesterday though. We're waiting for some outside voices to be hired here because you got Manny, you got Ryan, you got the cities. They're all linked together. Are you concerned about that that we haven't had an outside voice, somebody different added in as an AGM. We're obviously waiting on Manny staff, but an AGM or or some sort of role with the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you probably do want maybe someone with experience. I know we've been told that Rutherford is going to be an advisor. I don't know how much way you can put into that, but it would be good to have somebody maybe outside the box to present ideas to your organization. And maybe they will. I mean, they still have time, and it's like Brian Burke says, we don't play until October, right, so the Caducks don't play a game until October. But yeah, it would be nice to get somebody who kind of gives a little bit of a different perspective outside the organ.
Speaker 5: All right, Mojah. The CFL season kicked off last night overtime in Hamilton. Great game, Lions got to buy After watching cap, after watching everything the preseason, what are your thoughts on this Lion's team? A lot of people are picking them to go far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of people picking them to win the Great Cup. I'm excited, I really am. I know, offensively, people will look at the loss of Drell Broxton, but if you can get Dejon Allen back to form. Of course, this is a guy who won the Most Outstanding Lineman a couple of years back and lost out to his teammate who wound up winning it a year or two ago. So there's a guy there that's going to be a big, big key for that offensive line. And then defensively, it's how the secondary, you know, plays, and you know, we've talked about this ad nauseum. It's it's going to be interesting to see how they get by on the secondary. I know there's gonna be a lot of versatility there. There's gonna be some moving pieces. But the big thing with the Lions is there's so much excitement, particularly with the offense, given the fact that you know, last year they were learning Buck Pierce's they got off to that slow start in terms of the players, you know, really trying to figure out what Buck wanted, Buck figuring out what his players were capable of. They were two and five, but they stuck to the process and they wind up going on a heater to finish the season. So I think the big key this year is to get off to a better start because they do want to have home field advantage and finish in first in the Western Division.
Speaker 5: Hey, Bob, but new well I'm not going to say new practice facility, but boy, did the Canucks or sorry, the Lions locker room out in Surrey? Did that look nice? How happy are you with this? Look at this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's sharp, and I know there's people out there that'll say or WHOOPI do whatever, But I mean compared to where it was before, I mean where it was before, I'll be honest, was an embarrassment. Yeah, for professional team. I mean this at least is you know, it's a very nice locker room, a very much improved facility. The key thing is the players are happy. They have a lounge, they have a kitchen, they have you know, all of the amenities now. So you know, it's interesting because Rick talk could talked about this so many times. Having it's not about just having the facility, it's having a place where players can bond, where players can hang out, where players want to hang out. Right, so after practice you just don't feel like bolting and getting out of there. Maybe you stick around on the lounge, you know, you play little ping pong, whatever the case may be. But it just gives them an opportunity for the players to bond a little bit more.
Speaker 1: And it's still ongoing, right mojes. They've got like a temporary tent outside there because they're moving things around as they build.
Speaker 3: Right. It's interesting because you know, there was so much talk about the fact that they were going to find another facility. I know that it was something that mister Dolman wanted to do, was to you know, find I shouldn't say find another facility, but improve upon the facilities that they have. So I think they just finally resolved themselves to saying, hey, you know what we're here, might as well improve this, right, So I think now the big key is getting the new turf. We're getting the turf replaced at Tom Bennie's Park, which is right next door. So the Lions will practice on the grasses as long as they can, but there comes a point where that grass becomes a little treacherous, wet, whatever the case may be, gets chewed up. So what they have to do is they have to go to a turf. Will the CFLPA is determined that the turf next to the facility is not safe, so they don't practice there. They bust out to George Road Park. So that's the other thing too, is just to get that turf finally replaced at the facility, and then you know, I imagine sooner or later they'll probably start working on some of the facilities on the second floor or probably some of the things on the second floor of the facility.
Speaker 1: We've been talking about this Moche because Able Auctions has a appliance auction ongoing me.
Speaker 3: God, good, God, love Jeremy.
Speaker 1: There there you go.
Speaker 5: God.
Speaker 1: So smokers, smokers for meat, Moche overrated. No, so you could tell the difference between a smoke brisket and a barbecue whatever.
Speaker 3: Right now. If Rusty Johnson is.
Speaker 12: Listening, remember Rusty yah, yeah, oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: He brought in Dolly. While he brings in like these gorm like the dudes like unbelievable brisket, he goes into barbecue comte he does. He brings in these gourmet hamburgers. Henderson didn't want to try it.
Speaker 5: There was a lot on it. There was a lot.
Speaker 3: He had his ham and cheese sandwich. He was all happy and he didn't want to try like one of these, like you know so good, Like seriously, if you can have a smoker. Now. The key thing with the smoker, though, was the time, right, right, you got to put stuff. We'll tell you a story about Rusty. This is what he did. So Winter tournament one year, the Big Bang up in Colonna. I got some interesting news there by the way. I'll share this with you when I'm done. So the Big Bang, he phones me, says, hey, I'm here with my truck, blah blah blah. I got to get to the golf course. It's like ninive at night, and finally I got a hold of somebody of the course. They opened the gates up and he had a smoker going the whole night. He just stayed there and had the smoker. So like he smoked the brisket for like what I like, I don't know, eight nine, ten hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, case.
Speaker 3: So the key with smoking is if you're gonna do it, it takes time, right. You just can't put stuff in a smoker for half an hour. Yeah, you're talking several hours. And the more hours, I guess the more the longer it's in there the better. The other thing I wanted to touch base with. We've got a tremendous amount of support with the Big Bang. Special thank you to mister Lamark Doman who has sponsored a couple of gold sponsorships, Mister Mike Fuller from the Fuller Group, Joey's Cactus King taps Earl's all going to be at the events. A big thank you to him and Aquiline Investments has made so a big thank you to Aquoline Investments Francesco Aqualenean company, because they've donated the money. And what we're going to do is those spots will be taken up by the clonear CMP, So they're generously donating those spots to the first responders in Colonna with the clone ar CMP.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Awesome, awesome, And your list of celebs is great, growing and growing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I keep seeing it on your Instagram.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just you know, trying to get as many guys as we can. The hockey players are always the latest to commet. So we got about you know, twelve guys, twelve to fifteen guys were working on But we'll have some more announcements here in the couple of weeks coming up to volunteer this year.
Speaker 5: Henderson, your tournament's on a Monday.
Speaker 1: We do on a Monday, Donnie, take like a six day week. That's that is a possibility. Thanks, Moje. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 3: Let's have a good weekend.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it, Bob the Moje mar Jonovitch the voice of the BC Lions, and you mentioned it.
Speaker 5: Rick.
Speaker 1: CFL season open with a bang last night to Montreal over Hamilton thirty to twenty seven in overtime. Lions Week one bye, they get in, they get their action, regular season action going next week in Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan defending Champs Week one by two. Very odd moved by the CFL. That's the point.
Speaker 5: You want those two top teams playing a week.
Speaker 1: I would think so. But anyway, the Lions. I understand what the World Cup and everything, but Saskatchewan's a bit on anyway. On the other side poll question, we'll also talk about Don Garber's interesting comments yesterday in Montreal about Vancouver. That's ahead. It's Donny Dall the team on check.
Speaker 5: Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 6: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA. Closing your business.
Speaker 8: We can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 5: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able auctions dot Ca.
Speaker 1: That's sales at ab l E Auctions dot Ca. Time now to reset our wadling dog pole question. A reminder the dog is your home for the World Cup Canada games shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the dog today, Rick.
Speaker 5: Quinn, get her up the waddling dog pup pole question. What is Manny Maoltzer's number one job as the Canucks head coach leading the way develop young players sixty four percent? Then comes improve the culture way at the bottom, turn around EP forty and lose games. The Canucks heading into a rebuild. They got a ton of draft picks coming, a lot of young kids coming, and developing those kids is what the people want many Maultzer to do. Number one Ryan Johnson said he will not be judging on wins and losses. He will be judged on culture and developing young players. And absolutely the right answer on this pole, one hundred percent.
Speaker 10: I will judge them if they win a bunch of games, I will judge them, judge them like judgement badly. I'd like it because if they win a bunch of games and they do really well, like kind of how Calgary like exceed expectations this year, I'll toudge them hard because I want because they need to lose every game.
Speaker 1: But again, Quinn, what's what how do you tell your players?
Speaker 5: I mean, can't tell them before, Hey, guys lose so we can get the first round pick. When you have a draft lottery that screws you and you drop from one to three.
Speaker 1: I still I still don't. I don't know. I still don't anticipate them like, you know, pushing for a playoff spot or anything. I just don't. I just don't. I just look at the roster and I just don't. I just don't see that as a as an avenue. Okay, we mentioned it. U Don Garber, MLS commissioner in Montreal yesterday Rick he was there visiting the Montreal the Big O to see ongoing renovations that are happening at Olympic Stadium's roof. Because the Montreal CF Montreal, the MLS team there is gonna have to play in the Big O when they moved to this new calendar during the winter months, they're gonna have to get out of their stadium and go into the Big O. So they're putting money into the Big O' and that's where they're going to play. But Don Garber was asked about the white Caps current situation and this was the not really update Don Garbert gave media yesterday on the Caps.
Speaker 13: There's nothing really to update on Vancouver. They're working to try to come up with a solution. The solution we've asked for. There is a better lease. It's not close to what I think we'll be able to achieve here. That in of itself is concerning to me. We don't have the corporate support in Vancouver and in the province that even this team has on its own, but certainly we believe we'd be able to achieve in a better dynamic in BC place, there's very little corporate support and there is no path to a better solution yet. You know, I'm an optimist. As I said in the other questions, I hope to see something come together. If it does, as I've said before, you got an untenable situation you've got to solve and those are the tough choices you have to make. But I don't compare the two at all. Like I said before, it was a stated goal of our league to support soccer in Canada. The numbers I think are twenty eight players have played in twenty two and coming up in twenty six that have come up through MLS academies or come through our system. Thirty eight And think of that number, and would that number be there if it wasn't for what Major League Soccer was done. I think the answer is no, it wouldn't be. So we've built it, We've done our job, and now we've got to figure out how the Canadian clubs can develop and manage businesses that can be not the bottom of the table, but be in the middle of top of the table. I wouldn't think that anybody who's Canadian would want to see anything other than that.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 1: I shake my head at this guy, first of all, and you know a lot of people are going to say this is a media thing, Rick, and the media is crying whatever. I don't know the last date Don Garber got in front of MIC's like he did there yesterday here in this city where he.
Speaker 5: Did last time he came, he didn't.
Speaker 1: He was here for the FIFA Council around that time and he didn't talk to the reporters. He had the meeting with Ebe where he sent out the hack tweet. If anybody's still believing that, no, right, remember he called him liar, liar, pants on fire and then they deleted that and claimed it was a hack. I call bs on that, but if you want to believe it, go ahead. He did an interview with the CP I believe with Jemma Carson Smith in November yep, around a visit here, but again didn't face the mics. The only clips we ever get from this commissioner are in other cities or other podcasts where he talks about the white Caps. We never have any media here that gets to talk to the guy ever. So that's number one. Number two him the arrogance of saying like the MLS has built it, and now it's basically on you guys. MLS is built what I'm sorry this league. He acts like this league is edging out any of the Big four. They're nowhere close. You bring it up they have peanuts on Apple. There's only the reason why they're releasing their numbers on Apple starting this season is because they actually have some data they want to share. Before that, it's been in embarrassment. I'm sorry. Nobody in this market is tuning in for any MLS games outside of involving the white Caps.
Speaker 5: It's not happening. He can say whatever he wants, that's fine.
Speaker 1: The other thing that bugs me about this guy is he never apologized to this city for the way Messi urinated all over them the first time when he decided he wasn't coming here. So when you want to tell me all about the MLS is growing the game and all this crap he throws around all the time, it was really a false promise because Messi, in his first chance to come to the city left fifty five thousand people disappointed when he didn't get on a plane because the travel was too far. So save me on that. I just I'm so tired of hearing from him about the situation. He clearly doesn't want it to work here in Vancouver. He'd rather go to Vegas or whatever. So I hate that for this soccer community. I hate that for soccer fans in this community. But I hope our government doesn't budge an inch, because you bring it up all the time, Rick, A lot of people are hurting money wise right now. They shouldn't be pumping money to help this this franchise. They shouldn't. They shouldn't be helping him because you know why, you know what's gonna happen after that. Then the Lions are gonna want money, and the Knucks are gonna want money, and all these teams are gonna want money. And we don't do that here in Canada. It happens in the States, where you can put places against each other exactly. You're seeing news today out of Chicago and the Bears moving to Indiana technically for their new stadium. It happens in the States. It doesn't happen in Canada. And he needs to figure that out, stopping all these threats, all these press conferences where he rips into how awful it is here in Vancouver. Just enough with that, Like he was comparing the Big O to BC place, that's different planets. Man, The renovation job. That the stadium's too big, it's way too big. But the renovation of that building over there, it's world class. And this guy, I'm just so sick of hearing from him. I'm tired of it. I'm tired of hearing that there's no corporate support in this market. Yet the Lions do quite fine. I know the payrolls are different. The Knucks do quite fine. The Canucks have a higher payroll than the white Caps, so I don't know how that they have all these corporate sponsors in the White camps have none.
Speaker 5: Apparently there's not a single corporate dollar to be had for the white Caps.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: He bugs me, Don Garber bugs the hell he comes in, by the way.
Speaker 1: By the way again, sorry, Rick, I've asked numerous times for him to be on our show. I'd never even get a respond For the MLS. Never, No, for you soccer fans out there that you know cry about coverage and all that we're trying, this is what happens when you reach out to the MLS. Absolutely so, like I say, it was really disappointed yesterday and I just thought, again, he's talking from another location about Vancouver and he won't step to Mike's here and address the situation.
Speaker 5: It's incredibly disappointing. Ricky, you got pastime, Oh yeah, absolutely. Look at this BC's number one sports memorabilia and gaming shop, past Time Sports check out the largest selection of sports memorabilia, autographed items and trading cards in Western Canada. Look at this twenty twenty six World Cup apparel cards available now. If you can't visit the Mind store, you can shop their massive collection featuring cards for many era online of pastime sports dots.
Speaker 1: In front of the laptop, we have the Pelee Legends card, the Marcus Nazland signed rookie card. Rick I pulled this out today. It might be hard to see. Michael Dickerson. I remember him, Vancouver Grizzly, one of my favorite Grizzlies, Young Ryan, one of my favorite Grizzlies. Michael Dickerson.
Speaker 5: He was good, he was he was very good, very good.
Speaker 1: So I pulled that out because of course tonight game number two Nix and Spurs and San Antonio. And if you have an extra one hundred thousand dollars lying around and you want to go check out a basketball game, you can go to Game three at Madison Square Garden and see the Knicks at Spurs the resale market for that game game three, and you brought this up break before the show. That's with the current situation. If the Knicks go up two to oh I cannot imagine, not even for Game three, but what they're the game four costs going to look like. If they have a potential to sweep. It's not gonna happen, but they have the potential to sweep and win a title in New York. Oh, I cannot even imagine what those costs will look like. So expensive tickets on the other side, dtmz, it's not in all. The team on check.
Speaker 5: Looking for one of Victoria's most iconic s days. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport and the ferry, their room blend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps Waldwall TVs. Every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour and before you go stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come, sit and s day. It's eleven thirty three on a Friday morning. It is Donny and Dolly on check TV. Now time for DTMs he brought to you by the world famous Wister Golf Clubs. That's your big al out there. Great track, Great track.
Speaker 1: DTMZ brought to you by our friends at the Arnold Palmer Design Whistler Golf Club, inviting golfers to stay up to date with their Phase two of their golf course renovation ongoing on their Instagram account at Whisler Golf reminder as well the golf shop and driving range remain open this summer. Rick Grouse Mountain, Oh, I don't know if you've seen this or not, a lot of viral evidence of this. They have a new neighbor. Look at this. The cut at Grouse Mountain is unveiled the largest Canadian flag ever, five hundred and twenty five feet long, Rick two hundred and sixty two feet wide. Look at it. Just in time for the world of Cup. It breaks the world's record. The old record was five twenty five by two sixty two, so it's a little bit bigger. Three thousand pound flag was transported up the mountain by truck and trailer using a back access road. Look at that. That last shot there was from downtown. You can see it from there, of course you can.
Speaker 5: Seventy people. Rick set this thing up on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a highly visible tribute to Canada during a summer when Vancouver is welcome, welcoming the world. So it's for the World Cup.
Speaker 9: I'm sorry, but it should be the other way.
Speaker 10: It should be this way. Yeah, it should be landscape. Yeah, I don't know, Like that's I mean, it's super cool. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: But the only thing is Quinn. If you go that way, it's got to be smaller.
Speaker 10: So then would you see it go like taller though?
Speaker 5: The length it's all about the length. O. No, it's it's it's about width and length that you got.
Speaker 1: Just because you can see there the cut right, you can only go so far.
Speaker 10: Between you get taller and then go the other ways. Maybe it'd be way cooler if you saw it, because I mean, it's still really cool.
Speaker 1: Seeing it from downtown like that, like seeing that shot is outstanding. It is, it's it's it's a good touch. It's a good touch. And you're seeing a lot of this pop up now. And by the way, the best Science World the soccer ball officially fully installed now on the outside of Science.
Speaker 10: I feel like the vibe around the World Cup is kindished, it's it's it's great, it's growing now that you're seeing more and more stuff around the city.
Speaker 1: Now. Now, I will say this, Quinn, We're down here five days a week, so we feel that we see that. I don't know people that don't come downtown. Are you feeling that you see it everywhere and stores and that sort of thing. But I don't know if you're feeling a buzz, I'm not so sure. And will it pick up his games begin? Probably hold it a second. I'm gonna give you both the heads up. Canucks are going to the draft soon. There's going to be July first signings. I guarantee you the Canucks could sign Curtis Douglas during the FIFA World Cup and it'll be a bigger story in this city. I'm just and don't don't shoot the messenger.
Speaker 9: I agree.
Speaker 5: Donnie and I were at the Great Cup in Calgary many years ago doing a show on a Friday night, and we're there to talk about the Great Cup and and Eclucci it lets in a week goal they're playing in Detroit. Our whole show, it's all people wanted to talk about was the Canucks, and we were at the Great Cup, sent to Calgary to do a show. I guarantee you the Great Cups different from just Quinn. The Canucks are going to make some big moves here in the next little while. I guarantee you that news will be bigger the soccer if I'd plays. Okay, let's say, let's say Canada is playing, and then the next Friday, next Friday, and the next morning the Canucks make a big sign. I'm just giving you, guys the heads up and you'll see Twitter you'll up giving.
Speaker 10: You the head everybody knows, like if Canada wins, everybody I get it, I get it.
Speaker 9: Douglas gets resigned. I don't think.
Speaker 5: I just I'm giving you a heads up so when it happens, just be prepared. Birthdays. I hope you're prepared for those hoold on of set birthdays there we go, Quinn, get it up. The birthdays brought to you by Donnie and Dallies, back scratchers and dental floss and pouring them in in where I don't.
Speaker 1: See zach Alberta.
Speaker 5: It's between you guys there, well sign, where's Balzac, Alberta. I know it's in Alberta. I lived in Alberta one year. I don't see it in the sign.
Speaker 1: It's between you guys.
Speaker 5: It's in the middle of you. It's to the back there, belgieck Yeah, Okay, listen this guy. I'm gonna get you Quinn today. Last week you were too quick quick draw McGraw. You guys, remember quick Brad McGrath. I don't know, no, both of course you wouldn't. Seventh overall pick by Los Angeles in nineteen eighty eight, I want to Quebec Major Junior Hockey League title with Hall reached the Stanley Cup Final with four teams. Remember the Oiders nineteen ninety championship team at the age of nineteen played on the kid line in Edmonton with Joe Murphy and Adam Graves. Tied a record in two thousand and four three series winning goals in one playoff year nineteen ninety three, the Canucks pick him up on waivers. Great move by pac Quinn uh sixteen points and thirty three games to end the regular season of Vancouver nine more points in the Canucks. Stanley CP ninety four run ninety five named the Canucks unsung hero. You too are pathetic and you this is Ryan should get this. Yeah, you're ninety four. Oh I love ninety four.
Speaker 1: I don't love Martin.
Speaker 5: You're read me Martin, Martin Jellina. Oh so you two don't get it. And Derek comes out of the blue. Ridiculous, you cheated.
Speaker 9: How do you know what?
Speaker 1: Don't sell him short?
Speaker 9: Jellen No, with one of my favorites. In ninety four.
Speaker 5: There you go, all right, that's suspicious, very very very suspicious. Great guy. Jelenas scored four goals in a game at home at Rogers. Rena was there. It was a beautiful night. Okay, this guy right here, third round pick guy in nineteen eighty three by the Red Wings. Won an OHLD title with the Sue Greyhounds nineteen eighty seven. Sixty two points for the Red Wings played in the NHL All Star Game one year in Detroit. He scored twenty nine goals, three hundred and ninety eight minutes and penalties. Nineteen ninety four. Signed with the Blackhawks after numerous off ice incident no off ice incidents in Detroit.
Speaker 9: Bob Robert, Yeah Probert, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got it? Yeah right, you should have had That's bad. How do you not know? Bob Probert and two of his most famous fights fights with Craig Cox in Vancouver. One of Vancouver won in Detroit. Still two of the best fights ever in Caduck's history. Anyways, this actor, I love this actor. I tell you, boy, I watch every one of his movies. Nominated for two Academy Awards. That's not so Hold on a say it is a clue. You know what type of movies are like? I love this guy. A big screen debut came with Danny DeVito in Renaissance Man, The Danny de Vito, Weino, The Danny DeVito the Actor. He had his first starring role in James Foley's thriller Fear, Remember Fear. Fear was a good movie. He was in Basketball Diaries with Leonardo DiCaprio as are bad. Originally cast in Ocean's Eleven, but Matt Damon got the role. Instead, he played Max Payne in the video game of the same name. He was in Date Night with Steve Carroll and Tina Fey. Are you guys serious? Do you want me to keep going? When you hear his name, you're gonna go. Yeah. He was in the remake of The Gambler. Okay, here, here it is. If you don't get it after this, both of you, take your headset off, get out of thee. Sure. He was in The Perfect Storm, Planet of the Apes Mark Wahlberger, Thank you, Italian job. Oh, Italian Job. Was a great movie. Boogie Knights.
Speaker 1: Who is it Mark? Mark Wahlberg.
Speaker 5: He was in The Dirt. He was Dirk Diddler, No, Dirk Diggler in Boogie Knights. Who hasn't seen Boogie Nights? He was.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the movie Patriots Dame?
Speaker 5: He was, yeah, Dutch mel Gibson, No, no, no. But he was a portn star in the Dirk Biggler in Boogie Night. Yeah. Yeah. Patriot's Day he was. He was one of the cops the Oh yeah, I saw Patriots Day in Boston Boston Marathon by Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was good. And he was Marky Mark the Funky Bunch so so, this is one of the rare days. We was in the Marky Funk. He was Marky Funk in the Funky Bunch.
Speaker 1: This is one of the rare days. Your your your birthday.
Speaker 5: Is playing us out. What do you mean Mark Welberg and the Funky Bunch are gonna play us out? Oh yeah? He had some good hits.
Speaker 1: Well, good vibrations, good vibrations, big one.
Speaker 5: Okay, just stop, we got one more, We got one more. Okay, this is what This is one of my favorite actors of all time. This guy's good. He's been nominated for the Academy Awards every one of his movies. I watch his films of grossed eleven point seven billion. That that that means nothing exactly. It tells you he's a big name. Okay, it tells you the fact he's game rad out billions. He tells you Greenny's a big name. He was with Mel Gibson in The Bounty, Oh Great Field. He was with Robert de Niro in The Mission. He was with Clint Eastwood in the Deadpool. What Deadpool?
Speaker 1: Not that Deadpool?
Speaker 5: Hold on a second, it was a dirty Harry film Deadpool.
Speaker 1: Quinn's thinking Deadpool like Ryan.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, This was eighty eight, a great movie by Yeah Clinton. Nineteen ninety nine. He was in the Haunting supernatural horror film with Catherine Azeita Jones. He was in Gangs in New York? Are you guys kidding me? Gangs in New York. He was in the movie Taken was a big hit. That's Itelsen, he's a big Rangers fan. Yeah, yeah, he's in They've.
Speaker 1: Done what fifteen Takens At.
Speaker 5: This point he was in the A team, great great film, and but the most he was Oscar Schindler in Yeah that's right. Yeah, that's that's when he took off. Yeah. Yeah, so there you go, Liam Niels.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, as I mentioned to play us out today, Mark Wahlberg, I love him fifty five years old, this would kind of be in your era. I think this if it's if it's good vibrations, Yeah, this would. This is a great song from ninety one in the album Music for the People, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch with good Vibrations. Is it just me? It's coming up next?
Speaker 8: Sweet Cool, Sweet.
Speaker 4: Three foot hot Dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday Noons and the Future Toronto Blue Jays Right in your backyard catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two five two three two Today.
Speaker 5: Is It Just Me?
Speaker 1: Brought to you by OPEIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. You know you can recycle electric lawn and garden equipment for free. OPIG operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit op e C dot Ca to get more info. Rick, is it just me?
Speaker 5: All right? When's the last time Vancouver and a player that cares so much that he broke down on national TV and cried and you he'd be a great mentor with impeccable body language. P Surry Troy's talking about Brandon GALLAGHERY. Yeah, uh. Brandon Gallagher's agent as permission to talk to teams and he's gonna do that soon with Brendon. Brendan would like to come back to Vancouver, So we'll monitor that situation, keep an eye on it.
Speaker 1: It was a very it was you know, it was a heartbreaking watch when he was at his locker and he had to step away there. Rick earlier this week when he did the locker clean out. But he's obviously incredibly tied to Montreal, but they clearly are going in a different direction. This is from Walton Big Twis. It all depends on what you're cooking on the smoker. Ryot's back to our smoker talk. Roasts are basically the same amount of time than irregular barbecues. Your smoker temper is usually three hundred and fifty. Briskets and pulled pork generally take longer. It's it's lower and a slower cook for fun, yesterday I did lasagna on it and it was delicious. Lasagna on the smoker, what just put it in the oven like everybody else. By the way, lasagna is overrated, that's my hot take. But lasagna is very overrated.
Speaker 9: That makes no sense.
Speaker 5: But I think you take Lazagna's overrate.
Speaker 1: Lasagna is overrated. It is. Do you like pasta? I love pasta, so no, no lasagna. You just don't need layer on, layer on, layer on.
Speaker 9: It's the exact same thing.
Speaker 1: I'd rather space it out.
Speaker 5: The thickness of the cheese on the lasagna. Oh, how can you say nor to lazagna? You know what kind of guy.
Speaker 1: I'd just rather like ravioli or a totally cheese on top.
Speaker 5: I'd rather that cheese on the lasagnia. Where's your head at? Where's your head at?
Speaker 10: I think when I'm older, I want to be like a smoker guy. Just like have a smoker and just sit around it when every weekend or something.
Speaker 1: Check out my meat.
Speaker 5: Go The ruck Towins have said they want to play together, and one of the reasons your rateds will HI is your play together. If a team takes one, they better have a plan to take the other one. If they're still available at twenty four, the Canucks should try and make a deal for twenty five for the other that's RP and White Rock.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like I say, the Rock situation will be very very interesting to watch at the draft, And Quinn brings up the point that I agree with. You know, if so whatever team gets the first one, if you're the second team, are you gonna want to take a chance and bring in a solo one.
Speaker 10: I'm not so sure it could work out too, Like if a team in front of the Canucks, like the Flames or something, picks one of the brothers, then the Canucks should totally try to offer their picks. Yeah, like maybe for other teams to move up and like accumulate more picks and stuff.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Uh this is from amrit Is it just me? But if the Canuck pass on Stenbourg to draft Malhulture will be a massive mistake. They will give the Blackhawks a franchise winger, which will prevent Badard leaving them in the future. All these people that like already have Connor Badard coming here to Vancouver. I don't know, man, I don't know what to tell you. But it's so it's so far away, like this assumption they're from here that they should him and Macklin are both gonna end up here.
Speaker 5: I don't know. The Chicago's got a ton of cap space. I mean, they've managed your cap despite the losing pretty darn good. Ryan. Our provincial government pumped seven hundred million dollars into the FIFA World Cup during hard times for its citizens.
Speaker 1: Burnaby Paul, Yeah, they did. Now hold on First of all, that's a great point. First of all, First of all, a lot of the money is not in one lump sum. It's been going on since they've been planning the World Cup. That's number one, and number two. That was a different government that signed on with the World Cup at least, well at least a different you know, person in charge with John Horgan. And I just don't think that, you know the answer is to just give the MLS all this bag of money that they seemingly look for in all of these cities. I don't think it's right. I'm getting ripped for the lasagna thing. Up next, our final segment of the week on the program, It's Donny Nelly, the team on Check.
Speaker 3: The bc Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection at now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at Safety Ontour dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Patrick gran is born to be alive. He probably likes lasagna. Hopping and bopping your way into the weekend might be some bad one.
Speaker 5: That's a bad take. Who doesn't like lasagna?
Speaker 10: It's too much and you're describing it to me, like on the break and you're like, who.
Speaker 1: Wants cheese beef and you know pass that. No, this somebody sent in the recipe and there's like nine million ingredients. Who I don't want all of that?
Speaker 5: One more different cheeses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want. I don't need all of that, not because I like to parse my.
Speaker 5: It's healthy, it's healthy. Hold hold in a second. Hockey players eat it before games. Lasagna kids carbloaded, carbloaded, have some You don't even know the dynamics of lasagna. But I wouldn't say it's healthy.
Speaker 1: It's healthy.
Speaker 5: Spaghetti lasagna, kids eat that before games. Yeah, I just confirmed confirm that again, it's confirmed. Sure your shirt on.
Speaker 1: Okay, man, we're out of time. We're at a time we're not gonna be able to show the We're not gonna be able to show the pole question you were? You screwed it all lot.
Speaker 5: You nerd it up with a stupid take from Lasagna. Let's get the picture in.
Speaker 1: We can't, we don't have time.
Speaker 9: We gotta go, We gotta go twenty Ryan uh.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in everyone. We'll be back on Monday talk more about the Stanley Cup Final and much more. Enjoy some of Lasagna this weekend. I'm riting Interested along with Rick DOLLI Well, it's Tony Dolly the team I check.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.