Speaker 1: Welcome back to the deep dive. Ready to dive into some seriously fascinating stuff today. Always we're talking security engineering, a world that's honestly more relevant now than ever before.
Speaker 2: I can't agree more.
Speaker 1: You know you are amazing. Listeners sent in some excerpts from Security Engineering, A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed system Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, by Ross Anderson.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And let me tell you, this book is dense.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: It's packed with so much. It's a foundational.
Speaker 2: Text, absolutely foundational. So our mission, Yeah, what are we trying to do today.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to extract the good stuff, you know, those valuable nuggets that are going to make you.
Speaker 2: Go aha, I love those moments.
Speaker 1: Right, and connect it to your everyday life, because, believe it or not, this stuff it's everywhere.
Speaker 2: It really is. It impacts everyone, even if you don't think you're a tech person one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what we're going to do. We're gonna make it real for you. So, for example, the book talks about how how anonymized data can be surprisingly revealing. Like they even talk about how someone could potentially identify Tony Blair, a former primit Yeah, from a simple medical data Quarry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just basic details like his age and gender and date of treatment could be enough to pinpoint him.
Speaker 1: Right. It makes you think twice about how anonymous our data truly is.
Speaker 2: It's a good point to consider, for sure.
Speaker 1: Definitely unsettling, but it's important to know. The book also talks about home security systems and how vulnerable they can be.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's a big one.
Speaker 1: It's not just about picking locks anymore.
Speaker 2: Right, there's software vulnerabilities to think about, physical components that can be manipulated.
Speaker 1: And then there's the whole evolution of passwords. Remember when we were told to change them every few weeks.
Speaker 2: I do, And now it's all about long passphrases.
Speaker 1: I know what changed? Well.
Speaker 2: The book explains that those frequent changes often made people choose weaker passwords or variations of old ones, which made them easier to crrack.
Speaker 1: Oh it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, longer unique passphrases are actually much harder to guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's all about understanding the psychology behind it as well.
Speaker 1: It always feels like the bad guys are one step ahead, you know.
Speaker 2: It's a constant game of cat and mouse.
Speaker 1: The book even talks about this with keyless entry systems for cars.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the back and forth between security researchers and car manufacturers the wild. It really highlights how the landscape of security threats is constantly evolving.
Speaker 1: And that's actually a perfect segue into our first discussion point today, the evolving landscape of security threats.
Speaker 2: Let's dive in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it. It seems like the days of simple industrial espionage are long gone.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, We've moved way past that.
Speaker 1: Right now. We're dealing with sophisticated cyber attacks like meltdown inspector.
Speaker 2: Those really shook the tech world.
Speaker 1: I know. I mean vulnerabilities that target the very architecture of computer processors.
Speaker 2: It's pretty mind blowing when you think about it. The way our CPUs execute instructions can be a security risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. Yeah, and it highlights how security isn't just about protecting physical assets or arding against traditional spies anymore.
Speaker 2: Right, It's about recognizing that everything we do online, every interaction with technology, is a potential security consideration.
Speaker 1: Setting a password, connecting to public Wi Fi. It's all crucial.
Speaker 2: Absolutely everything is connected.
Speaker 1: It's not just high tech gadgets and complex algorithms. It's our everyday digital habits too.
Speaker 2: It's about awareness and being mindful of our actions.
Speaker 1: In speaking of evolving threats, the book mentions how agencies like GCCHQ and the UK have developed some pretty powerful tools.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, they have capabilities that can redirect Internet traffic, break cryptography, even change passwords on certain websites.
Speaker 1: I know, I mean, it's for national security purposes, but it really shows how vulnerable our online world can be.
Speaker 2: It's a reminder that there are layers of complexity we might not even be aware of.
Speaker 1: It does make you wonder about the balance between security and privacy, though.
Speaker 2: That's a whole other discussion for sure.
Speaker 1: Definitely, But for now, I think this example really emphasizes just how complex the systems we're trying to secure are. The these days, we've moved way beyond standalone computers, Oh absolutely, it's massive interconnected networks, cloud services, distributed databases, each with its.
Speaker 2: Own unique set of vulnerabilities and challenges.
Speaker 1: A whole new world of complexity.
Speaker 2: And that's where security engineering steps in trying to design, build and operate these systems in a way that minimizes risks and maximizes trust.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've talked about the evolving nature of threats and the increasing complexity of the systems. We rely on what's next.
Speaker 2: Well, to really see how security engineering works in practice, let's look at some real world examples. Yeah, both the successes and the failures.
Speaker 1: Ooh love a good story. Yeah, especially when it involves high stakes and clever solutions.
Speaker 2: You got it. Our next discussion point, real world examples of security successes and failures.
Speaker 1: Bring it on.
Speaker 2: You know those old magnetic strip cards we used to use at ATMs. Oh, yeah, they were so easy to skim.
Speaker 1: I remember those. I felt like every other week there was a story about a new skimming scam.
Speaker 2: It was a huge problem. The book actually goes into the evolution of ATM security. Really it's fascinating. The move to those EMV chips, you know, those little gold chips. Yeah, that was a major step forward, much stronger encryption.
Speaker 1: So they're like little fortresses protecting our money.
Speaker 2: You could say that. But the book also points out that even EMV chips aren't foolproof, right. There can still be vulnerabilities like weak random number generators.
Speaker 1: Or insecure implementation.
Speaker 2: Exactly, even if the technology itself is good, if it's not implemented correctly, there can be weaknesses.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what does that even mean in secure implementations.
Speaker 2: It means that even if the technology itself is sound, if it's not implemented correctly, there can still be weaknesses. Like the book gives this example of a Scottish sailor whose EMV card was used fraudulently because the ATM he used had a predictable random number generator. What the attackers figured out the pattern and exploited it.
Speaker 1: Wow, So it's not just about the tech chnology itself, it's about how it's used and implemented too, exactly.
Speaker 2: That's why security engineering is so important, thinking through all those potential weaknesses, not just the obvious one.
Speaker 1: Right, So you got a thing like the bad guys, you have to it's like a heist movie where they're planning to break into a vault.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy.
Speaker 1: They have to understand every layer of security and how to get around it exactly.
Speaker 2: And that brings us to another point. The book highlights the importance of security economics.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on economics, how does it fit into all of this?
Speaker 2: Well, the book argues that economic factors play a much bigger role in security decisions than we realize.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: For example, organizations have to balance the cost of security measures against the potential cost of a breach.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a risk reward calculation exactly.
Speaker 2: Spend too much on security and you might hurt your bottom line.
Speaker 1: But if you scamp and there's a breach, the consequences could be.
Speaker 2: Disastrous, precisely. And the book even gets into things like the market for lemons and the security chip industry.
Speaker 1: Lemons like the fruit, it's.
Speaker 2: An economics term. It basically means a market where the quality of goods is uncertain.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So in this case, it's talking about how there are low quality insecure security chips out there, right, and those can drive down the price for everyone, even the ones making high quality secure chips.
Speaker 1: So it's like a race to the bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of. If someone can make a cheaper chip, even if it's less secure, they might undercut the competition. That makes sense, and that's where regulations and standards.
Speaker 1: Come in, right Exactly, Things like ISO twenty seven thousand or A one and PCIDSS.
Speaker 2: They set a baseline level of security.
Speaker 1: Right, They help to level the playing field.
Speaker 2: It's like setting safety standards for building a bridge exactly.
Speaker 1: You can't just cut corners and use substandard materials, even if it saves you money.
Speaker 2: Right, safety first, And these standards also address the issue of security externalities.
Speaker 1: Yes, have you heard of that term before?
Speaker 2: Security externalities? Not really.
Speaker 1: Basically, it means that the consequences of a security failure often extend beyond the immediate victim.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see it.
Speaker 1: Like, think about a big data breach at a company. The company obviously suffers, but so do the customers whose data was compromised.
Speaker 2: And they might not even have a direct relationship with.
Speaker 1: The company exactly, So it creates this ripple effect.
Speaker 2: That impacts way more than just the initial target exactly.
Speaker 1: And the book argues that these externalities can lead to underinvestment in security because companies might not account for the broader societal costs of a breach. That's a good point. So regulations and standards are like guardrails.
Speaker 2: You could say that.
Speaker 1: They make sure everyone is at least taking some basic.
Speaker 2: Precautions to prevent those ripple effects from getting out of control.
Speaker 1: But even with regulations, breaches still happen. Right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, compliance doesn't equal perfect security. We need to constantly be thinking about new threats, new ways to mitigate risk.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to see how all of this connects, you know, technology, economics, and even human behavior all interconnected. And that leads us to our next point, which is where things get really interesting. The convergence of physical and digital security.
Speaker 2: This is a fascinating area.
Speaker 1: Convergence. What do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: It means the lines are blurring between the physical world and the digital world.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like our smart homes and all those devices.
Speaker 2: Exactly, smart meters, vehicle monitoring systems, even biometric identification.
Speaker 1: Right, It's like the real world and the digital world are.
Speaker 2: Merging into this hybrid space.
Speaker 1: Is exciting but also kind of scary. Yeah, how does this impact security?
Speaker 2: Well, it means that attax can come from unexpected directions. The book gives an example of how master keying systems can be exploited.
Speaker 1: Master keying systems, you mean, like the ones that can open multiple locks in the building exactly, so someone could figure out the master.
Speaker 2: Key potentially, and with three D printing it becomes even easier to create custom keys.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a little unsettling, and.
Speaker 2: The implications for privacy are huge. The book talks about how vehicle monitoring systems in the UK have raised concerns about surveillance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does make you think about those dystopian sci fi movies where everyone's being tracked.
Speaker 2: And these concerns are only going to grow with things like autonomous vehicles and the Internet of Things.
Speaker 1: Where everything is connected and communicating exact Okay, so convergence creates a whole new set of challenges. Yeah, but what about securing communications themselves, you know, emails, texts, phone calls.
Speaker 2: That's a great question and it leads us to our next point, the challenges of securing communications.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about it, because it seems like we're always hearing about data breaches and cyber attacks these days.
Speaker 2: It's a constant concern. The book actually covers a wide range of ways those communications can be compromised, from traditional wiretapping and code breaking to things like BGP hijacking and malware.
Speaker 1: BGP hijacking I've never even heard of that.
Speaker 2: Think of it like redirecting traffic on the Internet. Someone can manipulate the system that routes traffic between.
Speaker 1: Networks so they could send my data somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Potentially or spy on your communications.
Speaker 1: That's scary.
Speaker 2: The book also talks about the limitations of anonymity tools Tour.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Tour. That's supposed to make you anonymous online, right.
Speaker 2: Right, But it's not foolproof.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: If users aren't careful, their identity and location can still be revealed.
Speaker 1: So even with tor, you need to be vigilant always.
Speaker 2: And then there's malware, which is a huge problem.
Speaker 1: I know, I hear about that all the time. What exactly is it?
Speaker 2: It's malicious software that can infect your computer, steal your data, spy on June you even take control of your system.
Speaker 1: It's like a digital virus.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy, and it's constantly evolving. The book talks about how banking malware in particular, is a prime example of this cat and.
Speaker 1: Mask game between the good guys and the bad guys.
Speaker 2: Exactly, always trying to stay one step ahead.
Speaker 1: And it highlights another challenge attributing attacks.
Speaker 2: Have you ever thought about that?
Speaker 1: Attributing attacks? Not really.
Speaker 2: It means figuring out who's behind the attack. Oh, in the physical world, if someone robs a bank, you can usually identify them, but in the digital world, it can be really hard to trace the attack back to its source.
Speaker 1: I could see how that would be a chain.
Speaker 2: It creates all sorts of issues for law enforcement and intelligence agencies.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got evolving threats, complex systems, economic considerations, the blurring of physical and digital, and the challenges of securing communications. Where do we go from here?
Speaker 2: Well, all of this leads us to a very important question, the future of security engineering.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm ready for the future. What does it hold for security in this crazy complex world? All right, we're back for the final part of our deep dive into security engineering, and I'm really curious to see what the future holds for this field.
Speaker 2: Well, the book actually paints a pretty fascinating picture of what's to come.
Speaker 1: Okay, lay it on me. Does it give us any concrete solutions to all these complex challenges.
Speaker 2: It doesn't offer a magic bullet. No, But it emphasizes adaptability.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, especially in the tech world. Things change so rapidly.
Speaker 2: Continuous learning, collaboration, that's what we need.
Speaker 1: So we can't just build a fortress and hope for the best. We have to be more proactive.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's about constant adaptation, monitoring, responding quickly, and you know, learning from our mistakes.
Speaker 1: Learning from mistakes, that's crucial, And the book mentions learning systems what are those?
Speaker 2: Ah, Yes, that's one of the most promising avenues.
Speaker 1: The book highlights. Okay, so is that like AI learning from past breaches predicting future ones.
Speaker 2: You're on the right track, analyzing tons of data, identifying patterns, using that knowledge to prevent future impacts.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it's like AI that can help us stay ahead of the curve, constantly learning and adapting.
Speaker 2: Think of it as a super intelligent security guard. It's evolving its strategies based on the latest threats.
Speaker 1: But wouldn't those learning systems themselves be vulnerable? Couldn't hackers manipulate them?
Speaker 2: That's a great question, and it's a challenge. Researchers are working on how to build systems that are robust, resistant to manipulation.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of a digital arms race.
Speaker 2: Then, you could say that, but the human elements.
Speaker 1: Still key, right, We've talked about economic factors human error exactly.
Speaker 2: The book stresses a holistic approach technology, economics, and human behavior all intertwined.
Speaker 1: So we need a more well rounded understanding of how security operates in the real.
Speaker 2: World precisely and fostering a culture of security awareness. Everyone from developers to everyday users needs to be involved.
Speaker 1: It's not just about firewalls encode anymore. It's a shift in how we think about security.
Speaker 2: Fundamentally, you got it, and that requires collaboration. Engineers, psychologists, economists, policymakers. Everyone has a role to play.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the future security needs people from all sorts of backgrounds.
Speaker 2: Absolutely interdisciplinary, with a wide range of perspectives and expertise.
Speaker 1: This has been an incredible deep dive. I feel like I have a whole new understanding of this field.
Speaker 2: It's been my pleasure. I hope our listeners have found it insightful too.
Speaker 1: To our listeners, what steps can you take to protect yourselves in this interconnected world? Your data, your privacy?
Speaker 2: It's important remember security is not just for the experts. We all have a role to play.
Speaker 1: So as we wrap up, one final thought from the book, the future of security is about building systems that are not only secure, but resilient, adaptable, and aligned with our values.
Speaker 2: Great point as you navigate the digital world, stay informed, ask questions, be an act of participant in shaping a more secure future.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us on this deep dive into security engineering. We'll see you next time on the Deep Dive