Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Damn Ray on WVST Radio.
Speaker 2: Cor I couldn't agree with you more. I don't need sports wait got Damn Ray.
Speaker 1: Look, if you want to watch sports recall, all they have to do is just watch it on TV. If they want, then turn the audio down and they can multitask and listen to Nightside all of our interesting program and good evening. Everybody, welcome on into it. Monday night we start another week of Nightside. We will take you all the way almost a Saturday morning, every Monday night from eight until midnight. Rob Brooks, our producer, is back in the control room set to take your calls beginning after nine o'clock, and we have four guests lined up this hour on various and sundry topics. Some of them are newsworthy, some of them are of interest, and some of them are informative. It's a polpery sort of an an eclectic mix, if you will, and that's what we offer here from eight until nine and have been doing that for about a year and a half and it's worked out pretty well. A lot of different groups and organizations have got a little bit of airtime. They're not necessarily topics that we generated an hour's worth of discussion. We saved those for the nine to ten and the eleven, and tonight we will be talking about the teacher strikes that are going on in three communities here in Massachusetts. That's our great news for kids and great great news for their parents, no doubt, I'm sure that there are people of those communities Beverly, Marblehead and Gloucester who are upset. Maybe some of them don't want to say anything because they're afraid that it might impact their child's grades. I just think it's unfortunate that these sort of strikes occurred during the school year. I don't see why they copy resolved during the summer with arbitration and necessary binding arbitration strikes. Teacher strikes were illegal here in Massachusetts anyway.
Speaker 2: But we'll get to we'll get to all of that stuff later.
Speaker 1: We're going to start off with a really fun topic, literally a fun topic.
Speaker 2: Going to talk with Justine Sigal.
Speaker 1: Justin just five ways I can pronounce your last name, So give me the correct pronununciation if I haven't done it correctly.
Speaker 3: It's a seagull, SEAgel.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fine, Okay, she is the co founder of the Women's Pro Baseball League and founder of Baseball for All. Well, welcome to Night's side. This is exciting news. Apparently by the year twenty twenty six, you hope to have a professional women's baseball league in action.
Speaker 2: Tell us about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're very excited to launch and as you said, twenty twenty six will be the inaugural season and good news for Boston fans as we plan to be in the Northeast and we're still choosing where, but you know, we'll almost see in your neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Do you know where or no, I mean, have you have you you know, picked the locations.
Speaker 3: We're still determining which locations would be best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so I'm assuming that even if you're in Boston, you're probably not going to be sharing Way Park with the Red Sox, that there'll be another location of some sort where people can will be able to find you.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, we plan to be in smaller stadiums, about twenty five hundred to five thousand.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: You know, hey, you have there's several of those those ballparks in the greater Boston area. And when you say the Northeast, can you leave, at least give us a description of the Northeast. Most of us will live in Boston, Justine, we think the Northeast is basically all within Route one twenty eight. But you probably have a more expanded view of the Northeast than those of us in Boston.
Speaker 2: Half correct.
Speaker 3: No, No, I used to work at Sport and Society at Northeastern, so about the world.
Speaker 1: Ends after that, we'd have absolutely no way.
Speaker 2: No, I'm only teasing.
Speaker 1: So, so you're talking about maybe a couple of teams in New England, and maybe a couple of teams and other Northeastern environments that are baseball centric. Oh, I think maybe New York, Philadelphia communities like that.
Speaker 3: We will see, but I can tell you that for the first year, we'll be moving by bus. Okay, so that's important to us.
Speaker 1: And yeah, necessary, I know I can understand that. Okay, So let me ask us. You know a lot more about women's baseball, and you may know a lot more about baseball than me, although I got a pretty good knowledge of baseball. I remember when Cores had a women's team that toured back in the mid nineties. They actually played at Faenway Park. They were called the Silver Bullets. You're probably too young to remember them. Do you have any knowledge of them?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I went to spring training with the Silver Bullets, so they I went down to the Red Sox spring training facility and played there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately I hurt my arms, so I didn't make the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We've all hurt our arms at some point. Trust man, it was a picture tree, so I know exactly what you mean. Anyway, I think Phil Nekro was the manager, if I'm not mistaken. What Maybe it was Phil, Maybe it was Joe Negro, It's one of the Negroes.
Speaker 3: It was Phil and Joe, both of them.
Speaker 1: Okay, they were both there, absolutely, Okay, now correct me if I'm wrong. Did they play women's teams or were they playing? They were they were playing some men's teams.
Speaker 3: I thought as well, Yeah, the Silver Bullets they played men's teams. And so what makes you know the women's professional baseball leagues so exceptional is that we're going to have a women's BASEBA league of our own. And it's been seventy years since all the All American Girls Professional Baseball League, So seventy years is a big drought.
Speaker 2: No, I think it ready to come. I think it is great.
Speaker 1: And for those who do not understand this, I watched some of the Silver Bullets pitchers and they could they could, they could get it up there. They they had something on the ball. This is not slow pitch baseball. Trust me on that, folks.
Speaker 2: It's uh uh. You know, I'm asuming these pitchers were thrown.
Speaker 1: Somewhere in the high seventies, low eighties, or am I over over remembering.
Speaker 3: As we say, No, that's correct, low eighties, seventies, yeah, mid eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And anybody thinks that's slow, try hitting something like that, you know, particularly if the ball's move And where will you find your players?
Speaker 2: I do know a little bit.
Speaker 1: I looked at your background a little bit, and I know that you have been You were a coach at one point with the Oakland A's and you actually were the first women to throw spring training batting practice.
Speaker 2: To the Cleveland Indians.
Speaker 1: And anyone who's thrown batting practice has to know that you've got to be pretty agile to throw the ball, get it where you want to get it to, and then duck behind the screen.
Speaker 3: Well, we're at the players. I mean, they're going to be mostly US players, but we're also looking internationally. We have a women's national team through USA Baseball, so we already know who the top twenty players in the country are. But we have five hundred at least five hundred players and our player pooro, you know, wanting information on how to try out. So uh, you know, it's we're going to start to the amazing talent, some that we knew of and some that's going to be brand new.
Speaker 2: So here's my question.
Speaker 1: Are there any colleges or high schools that have girls baseball teams? My daughter played softball in high school, but are there any you know, girls, Where do you find players? Because obviously, in order to develop a skill, you got to play against other people. So where where are these players coming from?
Speaker 3: Most of the girls who play baseball they play with the boys. They did, okay, thousands of girls playing baseball at the boys across the country. You even have a girls program in Boston called the Boston Slammers. And therefore all ages and we have eight women are playing at college level with the men, and about two thousand girls playing high school baseball. And that's just here in the US. And you're talking in Japan and Mexico and so on.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, they play with the boys, but the dreams to play with the you know, with the girls and play with the women and have a pro league.
Speaker 2: So how long is schedule? The first season, the inaugural season twenty twenty six? Are you talking.
Speaker 1: About sixty games? I mean, you're not talking about one hundred and sixty two games. I'm assuming.
Speaker 3: No, we're starting off with a summer league, so you're looking at more forty games to summer. They can also capture the college athlete as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent.
Speaker 1: So if anyone has an interest in either trying out or getting more information, either as a fan or whatever, is there a website we can direct people to.
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely, Women's Pro Baseball League dot com?
Speaker 1: Perfect, Women's no apostrophe or is there an apostrophe in their pro baseball free?
Speaker 3: Women's Probaseball League dot com?
Speaker 2: Perfect?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Justine, best of luck. I'm looking forward to watching you play two summers from now, and I think it's great. I really do think it's great. I love watching college women's college softball, and I mean they do amazing things with that ball underhand and at fifty two feet or whatever the mound is that ball moves around, and I'm sure you gotta have some real interesting games, and we'll keep we'll keep you posted, or you keep us posting, and I'd love to have you back, and maybe we'll have you back some night and take some phone calls from listeners because I think baseball is still America's pastime.
Speaker 2: It's great that women are getting involved in it at this level. It's going to be fabulous. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, Justine Siegel, co founder of the Women's Pro Baseball League.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we're going to talk with a movie producer about a film called Silent Dignity, six part docuseries raising up veterans' voices to tell their stories to promote healing. And of course we could not have picked a better night. This is Veteran's Day and so this is Veterans Day night, and we'll be talking with the producer of that film, who also I believe appears in it. Right after this break here on Nightside. Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World.
Speaker 4: Night Side Studios on wb Z to news Radio.
Speaker 1: I want to welcome to the program, Wayne Sores. Wayne is a producer. He's also an actor. From Western Massachusetts and he is putting together a docuseriies raising up veterans' voices to tell their stories to promote healing. The docuseries is called Silent Dignity. Wayne, Welcome to Nightside. How are you, sir?
Speaker 5: I'm doing very well, Dan, Thank you so much for having me on the program.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for the enthusiasm in your voice. I love enthusiastic guests. Tell us about the idea and the series and how it has come to be and it is still a work in progress as if I if I'm.
Speaker 5: Correct, Yes, it's still I created this about started storyboarding about two about two years ago and had an opportunity to bring on somebody that I did some film work with armand De Sante and they award winning, Golden Globe winning actor and he was just embraced it tremendously and has equally the passion that I have. And what we did in episode one, Dan was we we this is about our Vietnam veterans and really kind of welcoming them home. They never got the appropriate you know, parade, or they came home to scorn and ridicule, and so what we've tried to do is show the the bring out the emotion of what the men and women that served in Vietnam, what they went through. And and in our second episode right now that we're in the midst of we really want to bring awareness to PTSD. Uh, it's horrible, horrible, horrible, as well as Agent Orange and the effects that it had on our Vietnam veterans.
Speaker 2: So took a lot of lives.
Speaker 1: They used to call it in World War Two shell shock exactly. It's got the PTSD characterization. So is this it's going to be as I understand that the plan is to be a six part series documentary correct.
Speaker 5: Yes, correct, yep, documentary series.
Speaker 2: And is it focused on the Vietnam era veterans?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, yes, we wanted from from We're going to be doing stuff on the service dogs that went over there. People don't realize that almost four thousand dogs went over during during the Vietnam Era and very very very few came home. I believe about four hundred dogs came home. We want to do a combat nurses, which were which were just a huge part of anybody that got the wounded, the donut dollies. We've got to We've got a segment on them. They were the people, the women that reached their their lives, going around to make soldiers lives better with just their enthusiasm and and making them fee relaxed. So we've we've got a kind of a potfolry of things that were were going to be including in this series.
Speaker 1: Now the service dogs that everyone is interested in service dogs. My understanding is that they were often used going down what was called spider holes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 5: Exactly that's exactly right. You know, obviously they had the tunnel rats, but the dogs, the dogs were were fearless, and uh, the the enemy in Vietnam was was was really really afraid of them. And when the dog was was was killed, they gave them a burial exactly like they were a soldier, which which I think is really a testament to the to the courage, you know, the of the dogs that were over there.
Speaker 1: Wow, what was the genesis of this? How did this idea come to you? And how did it? Is this something you've thought about for a while or something that has been of just reason?
Speaker 5: Well it wasn't, I think dn we all have those. But my my grandfather was my idol was no longer with US. He was in World War Two Navy, UH veteran in the CDs. And when I started to to look at different things, I kicked myself because I think we all do it to cheese. I should have I should have asked my grandfather. I should have asked, you know, my my uncle, you know what it was like? And he never really talked about it. That was the that generation, the greatest generation. They never they never talked about it. But once in a while when he when he got a few pops in him, he would open up just a little bit, but not much. And I think that was that was really the trademark of of the men and women that that did serve in that. But I I love the storyboard. I'm a writer. I have a syndicated column that goes out to any outlets around the country called Veterans Spotlight. So I just wanted to really kind of build on that. And I was sitting home here, I watch a lot of video on Bob Hope, and I thought that there might be something that I could, you know, compile and and put together in my first series that I did you.
Speaker 1: Talk about you talking about Bob Hope with the USO Tours of Vietnam, Bob Hope andt I Margret.
Speaker 5: Yes, oh yes, yes, yes, Rockel Welch and then you know just litany of people that he took and I just became just so the focused and and I couldn't ensconced in trying to make something that that we could really use to help not showcases a bad word, but kind of give tribute to to our to our veterans. It started with our World War two vets, and then I just came up with the idea that we should do something for our via non dettors, because if you look at every part of our history, excuse me, Vietnam vennorans really get they got absolutely nothing when when they came home, and they really got the short end of the stick.
Speaker 1: Now, minunderstanding is that there's a way. Do you have some trailers that people can start to look at or what how how can people get a sense of uh, you know what this will eventually become. And minderstanding is that you're hoping that it's going to be available on one of the cable network channels. I'm sure that you probably are talking to cable network channels about this.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, we actually have a studio that's I'm not at liberty to say right now, but they're very interested there. They do a lot of inspirational films and movies and documentaries and this would fit this, This is a perfect fit for their puzzle. But you can go to our website and you can see clips and trailers Silentdignity dot Us, Silent Dignity dot Us and that's some great piece that Armand does. A does a beautiful, beautiful introduction, and in episode two we really have some very very powerful, powerful interviews and I think that that people will this is very educational, excuse me, very educational. It's extremely informative, but most of all, it's very patriotic. Where this is not an anti military nothing of that sort. We just want to be able to go ahead and give the welcome home that our Vietnam veterans truly deserve.
Speaker 1: Well, the Vietnam veterans or men and women who are now well into their seventies or all in their seventies. I mean, when you do the math, it's pretty simple. And just as there's only a handful of World War Two veterans who are still alive, I think that numbers down to like below five hundred Korean War veterans are also of you know, sort of a middle generation there. But when you think about, you know, Vietnam veterans, you would have some that you know, could be as old as eighty, but a lot of them are going to be in their mid seventies, and you know, this is this is the time to give them the respect and the welcome home that they never received. So the website again is Silentdignity dot us and some of the final cuts that you know, one at least one part is there. These are not long presentations. I think the other day you told me twenty eight twenty nine minutes.
Speaker 5: Exactly, yep, exactly. It's it's the short documentary. But again we compile, you know everything, We just look to make this a series. And along the lines, you and you talk about World War two vets. A good friend of mine, if I could just give a shout out, he was a one hundred and two years he's one hundred and two years old. I spend just about every Saturday with him. I've spent a lot of holidays with him. My buddy, Chizo Masaconi. He lives in Cheshire, Massachusetts. He's one hundred and two he was at Pearl Harbor. He's an army veteran Pearl Harbor. After the attack, they came in four months later, and then he was at the Battle of Saipan, and then he spent eight months on Iwo Jima. He's one hundred and two years old and still his faculties. The only thing going on is his knees, and he's too old for a knee transplant, but loves to have an occasional glass of wine and great spirits and a big, big baseball fan.
Speaker 2: So his first name again is what.
Speaker 5: Is Cheezo h ee as in sam Oh, it's it's destrord, abbreviated for at Narciso, which is Narciso in Italian? Is Charlie?
Speaker 2: All right, Cheezo?
Speaker 1: Well, happy one hundred and two, Chiezo, and hopefully there's many more to come. I really love the interview of your enthusiasm, Wayne. I know it's going to be a success. Please keep in touch with us and if we can do anything along the way, you know, periodically as you're making some news here and getting some breaks. I think this is a perfect a lot of these uh you know series, these these cable networks, they need good, positive presentations. And I think that the Vietnam era veterans certainly did, as you said, get the short end of the stick. And now it's time to at least acknowledge. They might not have been involved in a popular war, but but they went and they served, and it's something that we now appreciate as a society much more than perhaps we did back in the day.
Speaker 5: Thanks so much, thank you, thank you for saying that. I'd like to really quickly say thank you to armand Decante and the guy that put us together. Are a good town, Mark Lund so good.
Speaker 1: I once worked with Mark, or I should say I worked for Mark, so it's a great friend of mine.
Speaker 2: And he spoke very.
Speaker 1: Highly of you, and and you you fulfill all of my expectations. Thanks for your passion on this. You were destined for success. With this great success. Thank you waye appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. Thank you, Daan, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: We come back on to talk about artificial intelligence with a fellow named Abdu Murray. It is the pros, the cons, the morality and the pitfalls of artificial intelligence. We will cover it all right after this break on night Side. It's coming up a little bit after. This's eight thirty two. We're a little late for the news, but that's okay. It's Veterans Day. My name is Dan Ray. You're listening to WBZ Boston's News Radio ten thirty and your am Island. By the way, if you haven't any trouble with the reception, you always can download the iHeartRadio app. Download it for free and listen to w b Z three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven, and of course the Night's Side every weeknight from eight to midnight, back right after the news with more conversation.
Speaker 3: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: Well, in the next few years, all of us are going to learn a lot about artificial intelligence. With me is Abdul Murray. I'm not sure if abdou if this is a website. It's called Embrace the Truth. First of all, I want you to explain to me what Embrace the Truth is, and then let's talk about the pros, the cons and the morality and pitfalls of artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Knightside, amdu oh Dan.
Speaker 4: It's great to be with you. Thanks for having me on, and so Embrace The Truth is that organization that I founded twenty years ago, and it is actually the website as well. It's embraced the truth dot org. And what we're basically about and what I do is I'm a lawyer by training. I went to law school with a commercial litigator, complex business litigation, that kind of stuff. But I speak about Christian worldview in light of contemporary culture and big issues like artificial intelligence, like morality, like all these kind of things from a Christian perspective. And I speak in university and kind of ps second places. So you're just trying to see the intersection of faith and culture, and of course a I on everyone's mind, so that's what is on my mind as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so you come to it not only with the legal background. I'm a lawyer as well, uh, from a legal background, but also.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, no, there's nothing wrong with that. It's been it's been very good. No.
Speaker 1: I've enjoyed, uh it both as a practicing attorney and elsewhere as an investigative journalist for for many years, uh, in television.
Speaker 2: So you have a faith perspective as well.
Speaker 1: Many people think that lawyers don't have any we don't have a great reverydation, but many of us do.
Speaker 2: Uh, and I would be in that category with you.
Speaker 1: So now so, so the the presentation is the pros, the cons, the morality and the pitfalls of artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: I don't think I.
Speaker 1: Understand artifical I think I have a basic understanding of it. But I don't think I understand artificial intelligence to even understand pros, cons, morality and pitfalls other than my question has always been how are teachers and college professors going to figure out whether that essay or that term paper or that thesis was actually written or ripped off by a college student or a grad student. But tell me, in probably a more more sophisticated language that I could produce what we need to be concerned about.
Speaker 4: Well, the first thing we need to do is make sure we define our terms, because oftentimes we think of artificial intelligence. Many researchers will tell you that the term is so broad that it's almost useless now because when we think of artificial intelligence in the sci fi world, we think of the terminator, or we think of the machine like in the matrix, that are coming to get us and pick over the world because they have like a human level artificial intelligence, and the reality is is that's what's called artificial general intelligence, and that's a goal for a lot of researchers and developers, but.
Speaker 2: We're hoping they never reached that goal. By the way, as far as I desire to stay that.
Speaker 4: Abdu Well, that's one of the pitfalls is that there's a thing called the value problem. And one of the things in the value problem is that if you create something that has human level intelligence or even greater, and then it has it's called a recursive improvement cycle, where it just keeps getting better at getting better, it will eventually past us at a bunch of different tasks. So a lot of researchers are asking the question. The question they're asking is if something achieves or we achieve some kind of human level intelligence for this thing that doesn't have the same concerns we have, who's to say that its objectives will line up with with morality, with human morality? Who's to say that? And sip with well, no one's to say that, because it might come up with its own idea.
Speaker 1: And then of course you get into the philosophical argument of what is morality and what is human morality?
Speaker 2: And how is it expressed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so this comes to me, This comes back down to from my faith perspective, and I think there's also a philosophical thing in respective of my particular faith preference. But when it comes down to this to me is I think morality is an objective thing. We don't know it objectively. So there's a difference between morality's existence and our ability to detect its existence, much like light. You know, my eyes can't see ultraviolet light or infra red light. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means that I can't see it just yet. But objectively it exists.
Speaker 1: Well you get that, you know, you get to the what I would consider it be the oxy moronic term of relative morality.
Speaker 4: Right, exactly right. And so relative morality is is oxymoronic, exactly right, because you can't have a relative morality. It's like you can't have a subjective objectivism. It's something subjective or it's objective. Well, morality is, I believe objective. And I think that actually makes sense on a worldview that's based in faith, based in faith on God, because if God is a personal being and morality is a personal kind of a thing, and morality is transcendent. So for example, it's always wrong to torture babies for fun, no matter what your culture is or your religion is, it's always wrong, even if it's.
Speaker 1: It's always wrong to torture kittens or puppies as right, I mean, is all I mean really should agree.
Speaker 4: On that, right, But it's true, and it's it's logically true. It's based on an objective source and a transcendent source, and a transcendent, objective personal source is exactly how we define God. So that's why I think that that's important. Why that factors into the AI conversation though, for me, is that if you have something artificial and then you start to suggest that maybe it's morality is just as valid as human morality, well then what happens is you're saying that morality becomes artificial, and so you're run into these problems, Like you said, cheating on tests or plagiarizing people's art or plays, writing people's work becomes more of a convenience issues and a morality issue.
Speaker 1: Yea, it becomes almost what can what can I get away with? How can I do this so I don't have to write that term paper, but I can reduce a term paper which the high school teacher or the college professor won't be able to distinguish.
Speaker 4: Right, And and so some people are trying to trying to develop artificial intelligence that can detect artificial intelligence at work, like you know, cheating on papers and that kind of stuff. There's plenty of upsides. I mean, there's a lot of upsides in terms of medical diagnoses and different breakthroughs with ADHD and these kind of things. But so here's the thing, Dan, is that I think I'm quoting somebody else who said this that the issue is not with the with the software itself is and what will we do with it? Because the way he put it was human stupidity is worse than artificial intelligence because we will do bad things with these weapons. In one sense, well, we can do great things with it. So really it's for me, it's an issue of a heart check, it's a soul check. What are we going to do with this thing? Can we limit its development? Can we limit its uses? And I think that's important for us to understand from a moral standpoint, do how.
Speaker 1: Can folks get more information on your website? Because we've only scratched the surface of this argument, which is you know, it's almost mathematical and philosophical and historical.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they can go to yeah, so thanks dam they can go to Embrace the truths all one word dot o RG, lots of articles, lots of videos. I'm writing a book on it. Actually, as we have we speak, I'm writing a book on it that comes out next year on artificial intelligence and various different ideas when it comes to faith issues, but also just morality issues. So look again, look out for that. But Embrace the Truth dot org.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting just looking at your bio for folks who may not know you. You have the You have a BA in psychology from the University of Michigan, a great school and at Arbor, and also a jd from the University of Michigan Law schoo on Boston University Law School. Guy, so you're you're a Michigander. So we're not going to hold that against job. Thank you so much. And I'm hoping that people go to Embrace the Truth dot org because what you're saying I'm picking up on and I hope some others.
Speaker 2: Are as well. Okay, really good conversation, Thank you sir.
Speaker 4: Thanks good, all right, talking again.
Speaker 1: We'll get back going to talk about the Boston Public Art Triennial coming to the city of Boston next to May, what it means for residence, tourists, artists, businesses, and the community at large. Is going to be talking about Kate Gilbert, who is the executive director of the Boston Public Art Triennial. We'll get to that right after this quick break on Nightside. Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios.
Speaker 2: I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: Well, about six months from now or so in May of twenty twenty five, which to one wave sounds like it's a long way off, but it's only six months. We just have to get through the rest of fall, wintering into the spring. The Boston Public Art Triennial. Well, we're coming to the city of Boston and with us as Kate Gilbert. Uh is it Gilbert or Gilbert?
Speaker 6: I like Gilbert, but it is Gilbert, whatever you'd like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we'll make you very French Canadian at this moment. The Boston Public Art Triennial. First of all, I was not familiar with the Boston Public Art Triennial. The Triennial, I assume, means three hundred years.
Speaker 6: It means every three years every three years, because yeah, yeah, that's that's it's it's art speak for every three years. So this organization has been around for about nine years. Previously is now and there, So maybe it's that.
Speaker 2: Bephore previously was what called now and there?
Speaker 6: It is called now and there.
Speaker 1: They're okay, well that's why probably now I see it. Okay, Boston Public Triennial. So tell us about this. This is a big deal.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's all is going to be spread throughout the city, as I understand it.
Speaker 1: Uh, and is this the biggest since since this is the ninth year, I'm guessing this is the fourth triennial, So we're entering.
Speaker 6: The organization is entering its tenth year, and in celebration of that, we're putting on our first triennial.
Speaker 1: Ye first, even more confused? Okay, all right, so this is the first, which means that going forward, you're.
Speaker 2: Going to do this every three years.
Speaker 6: Correct, So twenty second it will open and then we'll look again for twenty twenty eight, twenty thirty one and beyond.
Speaker 2: So the boss, so tell us tell us about it. What what should people look to?
Speaker 1: And then I want to make sure at the end we talk about how people can get in touch with you and get a lot more information than we can candense in about five minutes we have left.
Speaker 2: Tell us, tell us what's the great?
Speaker 6: So so, someone recently called a triennial the super Bowl of the art world. So for your listeners who aren't quite you know that up to spe with can temporary art.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe.
Speaker 6: Then it's talking about y okay. We are bringing in local artists and international artists to really sort of show their show, their show, their expertise. We're going to have sculptures. It's all temporary, so you really need to come. You need to be here between May twenty second and October thirty first and it closes. Go these sculptures that are made of hammered metal. We've got some things that are woven, something made out of bronze. We've got light neon signs, even things like trees and nature that you might see differently because of these artists coming in to really highlight everything we have here in Boston. Each artist is paired with a local expert, so these are experts in social social movements, science, medicine, sound, and we're really showcasing Boston's neighborhoods. You know, we are a city of neighborhoods and we're going to take that as a strength in this triennial. And my hope is that audiences will come to eighteen different locations we're in Charlestown or downtown, or in East Boston or in Dorchester, Mattapan, Roxbury and really get a new and sort of unique flavor of Boston.
Speaker 1: Well we have, I forget how you want to cut them off and everything, but there's about seventeen eighteen neighborhoods. I mean, you know, you have on one end, You've got Hyde Park in Reinville where I grew up. On the other end again East Boston and Charlestown, and now you get the seaport, they'll be all over and so will it be moving. So the different communities will will a you know, an artist plant whatever they're doing in one section. And you said it's going to be there from the twenty second of May until October thirty first, by I mean the Red Sox will still be playing in the World Series by October thirty first.
Speaker 2: That's a long season. I know, I'm a bit of an optimist, but you're talking out there nearly half a year.
Speaker 1: So the the works of art move around. I assume they'll be stationar. I mean people have to count with the works.
Speaker 6: Of art exactly. Most of the works will be will be static. There'll be a couple of projects where people can participate in printmaking, and those will be all around the city, almost like a scavenger hunt. You have to go, you know, try and find them. But for the most part, eighteen projects in locations throughout the city. The museums are also participating, So that's another four or five locations where you can expect free always free. You don't need a ticket, public art outside for people to engage with, you know, be inspired by question, you know, all the things that art makes you.
Speaker 2: I'm interested in the printmaking. You're not talking about US currency.
Speaker 3: I assume, Oh wouldn't that be nice?
Speaker 2: Oh would be no?
Speaker 6: No, no, Now, we're we're going to be encouraging people to make statements and you know, posters that are really important to them and their identity.
Speaker 1: Is there anything like this in any other city or how did this idea this cont come to mind?
Speaker 6: So there are a couple other cities that are doing these prospects. Is the name of one in New Orleans? And Counter Republic in Saint Louis. This is the only triennial of public art of its kind in the East Coast. So this is really a first for Boston, and I think Boston is absolutely positioned to do something like this. We have such you know, great tourism coming in, but we also have such great audiences locally that want to participate in contemporary art.
Speaker 2: This is great, This is great, And I assume that you have been involved in this for some time. This is not something that has.
Speaker 6: Well, Dan, I started this. You can blame me a long time ago. I was thank you a long time ago. I was part of the Greenway Conservancy in the first ten people that helped bring the Greenway to life and the art there. And I love the Greenway. I'm a neighbor and I just want to see more of that throughout the city. So this first tri anial, people can expect eighteen projects in those neighborhoods I mentioned. The next one will hit other neighborhoods, and as we go through this, we want to be in every one of Boston's amazing neighborhoods, bringing in tourism, supporting locals and just you know, having a moment of wonder. I think so many of us are walking around I'm guilty of this, looking at our phones, looking at the ground, not connecting with each other. And in these times, just a great to come together and have to celebrate.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Kate Gilbert or Kate Gilbert, whichever you would prefer, the executive director of the Boston Public Art Triennial. I suspect that we'll have another opportunity to speak about this as we get a little closer to the actual opening in May of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: So thanks a love, thank you, And.
Speaker 1: It gives people the chance to focus a little bit, maybe make sure that they'll becoming a Boston in some form of fashion.
Speaker 2: Many times.
Speaker 6: Yeah, get out your walking shoes. The Triennial dot org. Thanks yeah.
Speaker 2: So the website is simply Boston Triennial dot org.
Speaker 6: Is that what you said, It's simply the the Triennial t r I E N N I A L dot org.
Speaker 2: Perfect, Kate, Thank you so much, appreciate a lot.
Speaker 6: Thank you again, Take care, good night.
Speaker 1: When we get back, we are going to talk about what's going on in three communities that will have no school tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And this is not snow alert or anything.
Speaker 1: This is the teachers have decided to walk the picket line up in Beverly and Gloucester and Marblehead. We will talk about it particularly, I'd love to hear from parents in those communities. Causes some inconvenience, but we'll see what we'll talk about it. Illegal strikes in three Boston communities coming back right after the nine