Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty Mo.
Speaker 2: Kelly, Marsha Collier on this Tech Thursday. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Yes, Marcia Caulier, I want to hold your hand. You're going to guide me through this palm technology. I went to Whole Foods earlier tonight and I got my food and I saw and I've seen it many times.
Speaker 3: I've never used it, never thought about using it.
Speaker 2: But there's a way that you can pay with your palm, and I'm not exactly sure how it works.
Speaker 3: Do you know how it works? I do, But.
Speaker 4: You know, people are being slow to enrolling on this thing because we're also paranoid at this point. Now, Amazon doesn't take a picture of your palm.
Speaker 5: It saves a mathematical palm.
Speaker 4: Signature, you know, tell me cynical, right, It's to unlock a different based biometric system, and its stored separately from your credit card information.
Speaker 3: Sure until attacked and whatever.
Speaker 4: Right now, I'm thinking if they just took a picture of my palm and they'd offer a free palm reading with every sign up, I might be more willing to go for this but they're not. They're not exactly gamifying it. You know, it's like the TSA. Are you TSA, I'm pre checked? Yes, okay, you got global entry?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay.
Speaker 4: When people hold their hand up with the iPhone to open their phone, it goes clickton opens. If you remember when you were having the questions asked on the TSA pre check.
Speaker 3: I just renewed, so yes, I do remember.
Speaker 5: And remember when they take your picture how they zoom right into your eyeball. Oh, it's real close, and they rett in a scan. Yes, now that's iding people.
Speaker 4: And actually I'm I'm okay with that because what else can we do.
Speaker 5: That's the government. But having that tied into.
Speaker 4: Having my phone work, paying it a supermarket? Are these biometrics really necessary? Realize that giving up a certain amount of data, no matter how much technical and I read to you some of that technical boloney, let.
Speaker 3: Me play the other side of that.
Speaker 2: Let me just say, well, I appreciate the technology. I someone's listening could be the eye and I feel.
Speaker 3: Better knowing that.
Speaker 2: There is a greater degree of certainty that it's actually me, as opposed to someone who's impersonating me or gets my credit card number.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 2: I feel better knowing that it's a retinal scan or it's a palm scan.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, but consider and consider this palm. Have they been taking palm scans of people in the world? Why doesn't Amazon take fingerprints? Fingerprints are really more universal when you think about it.
Speaker 3: Well, you've been in our kitchen.
Speaker 2: We have a fingerprint scanner for our vending machines.
Speaker 4: There you go, and there's a fingerprint scanner every time in your life. If you've had any children or anything like that, you've had their fingerprints done. You know, for ID if they go missing, you'll have their fingerprints.
Speaker 5: You know, people aren't.
Speaker 4: They're not really using dental scams anymore to find Yeah, unless you're already did, unless your fingers are gone. You know, there's that.
Speaker 5: But I'm a fan.
Speaker 4: I use my fingerprint on my phone, but I don't take a picture of my face.
Speaker 2: Either, do I Now on my computer it will use my face all my phone. I do have it selected where it will realize if I'm still looking at the screen, and it won't phone lock.
Speaker 4: That's an Android thing, which is interesting because you were talking earlier about the earthquake alerts, and that is built into the Android echosystem that they have made a deal with shake Alert.
Speaker 5: And it's part okay, that is part of the.
Speaker 3: Operating system, so it's just in there.
Speaker 5: It's in there.
Speaker 4: If you have an Android phone, go into settings, the general settings where the little cog is at the top or on your settings. Go in there, search SOS and emergency or emergency in SOS and you're going to find a whole world of things that are on your phone that you had no idea that existed. And the earthquake thing is one of them. There's also we talked about crash detection all the other things, but they have added that as part of the phone.
Speaker 3: All right, I learned something tonight. Oh my no, that's why we have.
Speaker 5: Sure no anyway with the phone.
Speaker 4: And I don't know how successful it's going to be for what do you think?
Speaker 5: But the palm thing.
Speaker 2: I wonder whether it's going to be successful because it's not widely adopted. In other words, it's not like Whole Foods has it, and I can go to Pavilions and they have it, and Albertson's has it, and Gelson's has it. Like for example, the self checkout. You can go to just about any store and it's there. Unless this is everywhere, I don't know how people are going to become comfortable with it.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we all say it, Hey, you know it's America. We want options, But how many options do we really need? You know, how much data has to be exposed?
Speaker 3: Here's what I wonder.
Speaker 2: When let me put it this way, how long before we get at a hack of this so we can find out how much data they get?
Speaker 4: Well, exactly exactly. And we've talked about and if you've been listening to us at all, I try not to talk about the big acts because we have been hacked so badly. And in the next segment, I'm going to talk a little bit about you know what happens with that data.
Speaker 5: But we have been hacked. Our data is out there.
Speaker 3: All we have.
Speaker 5: Left are a biometrics.
Speaker 2: Do we do we if only because yeah, we talked about the retinal scan we face they have.
Speaker 4: Your fingerprints, yes, because they've taken them for police approval, for security. They have your fingerprints. So I don't worry as much about that. You know they're there, they're out. I'm going to assume that anytime anyone's taken that the TSA doing the retinal scan.
Speaker 3: What am I going to do?
Speaker 5: You know, either do it or business exactly pretty much.
Speaker 4: When you go into some countries like China, they had a little stick that they put under your chin so your eyes line up with the camera for the retinal scam.
Speaker 3: Didn't know that. Well, I haven't been in China.
Speaker 5: So well, it's a different experience.
Speaker 4: As far as government surveillance, as far as yeah, you will do what the what you are told to do, and if you don't do it, there's the door.
Speaker 5: I was so terrified.
Speaker 4: My hands got cold and when they wanted me to put my hand down on the reader, it wouldn't breath because my hand was so cold. And they don't speak English, because I was in interior China, and I'm nothing's happening, nothing's happening. I can't I'm just a crazy old lady from California.
Speaker 5: I don't know what this is.
Speaker 4: So, you know, he took me to another one and he put my hand down, he mashed it down. But we've got to get used to this because it is going to be the cost of doing business in certain ways. But is that the cost of doing business at Whole Foods and Amazon Fresh or can you use something else?
Speaker 5: Can you use your Google wallet, your iPhone wallet?
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 5: You can?
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 5: You could use credit cards?
Speaker 3: Tap it. That's what I do.
Speaker 5: That's what I do. I'm a tapper.
Speaker 4: You can use credit cards or Heavens to Murgatroyd.
Speaker 5: You could use cash.
Speaker 3: Did you just go Heavens to Murgatory?
Speaker 5: Do that?
Speaker 4: I can't remember how it said, do you well?
Speaker 3: I used to be able to do it. I can't do it as well. You can run or do it out of this please.
Speaker 2: He's not a cardson guy, is so beneath him. He does not do cartions. He's too mature for that. He won't even watch Pixar movies.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I saw that the one Push and Boots just looked too cute.
Speaker 2: The last He's not into too cute, not at all, not at all. That's not as stop. I forgot Heavens to Murgatroyd with Snagglepuss. Yeah, who I remember those?
Speaker 5: Let's hear it.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I can't do it.
Speaker 4: Okay, Heavens to murgatroy I love it.
Speaker 5: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: When you guys go out of your line. I mean this show is like so totally like the I must I say it the Johnny Carson Show, but it's the mo Kelly Show.
Speaker 3: But hey, Johnny Carson is fine.
Speaker 2: If you can put me and Johnny Carson in the same book, paragraph or chapter, I'm good with that.
Speaker 4: My husband's mother used to do research for Johnny in when he was in the Midwest.
Speaker 2: Now that means your husband is going to have to tell some stories on this show one of these days. Some of the stories that were given to him that were not public knowledge. I know he has, Yeah, he does, but that's for another time. It's Later with mo Kelly. I'm joined in studio by Marshall Collier. When we come back, let's get into AI deep fakes scams now that are coming via phone, which could impact you and me.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Remember when your phone was so simple. You just picked up the phone, you dialed it. You didn't have to worry about any type of real technology.
Speaker 4: You remember when there was no area code and there was no one before anything.
Speaker 2: I was telling Stephan the other night, I was explaining to him what a party line was.
Speaker 5: Oh Man those were great. I was a little girl, and I'd go over to the party line. I'd pick it up and I'd.
Speaker 2: Listen, just listening on people's calls, because no one's to stop you. You know, it's fine if you don't have to make a call, you just listen. But if you want to make a call, it might be a problem. Well, but that was once upon a time, mister mo'kelly with Marshall call your KFI AM six forty. But now phones are so sophisticated. They are like the windows to our soul. They are the entry point for everything that we do, from entertainment to paying our bills, to banking, I'll say, the sharing documents. Anything that we need to do can be done on that little computer box that we keep in our pockets.
Speaker 3: It's very valuable.
Speaker 2: And since it's very valuable, people want to steal from us via that little box.
Speaker 4: But the thing is, do you do you really talk to that many people on your phone?
Speaker 3: Really? You mean as a hello vote voice communication?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I make one to two calls per week.
Speaker 4: The oh, and I have it on account. I'll only do like if I have to do it one a day.
Speaker 2: Well, people who know me know that the only time you're really going to get me on the phone is in my car on my way to the station, because I have a good hour hour and a half where i'm captive and I can give you all the time that you need outside of that.
Speaker 3: Good luck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you know that's what I text.
Speaker 3: Your right exactly.
Speaker 2: But because the phone is so sophisticated and also has so much important information, criminals have got smarter. The technology for criminals has gotten more sophisticated. We've all heard of deep fakes, We've all heard of AI, We've all heard of all these phone scams, but now they're being put together and almost like a brute force attack on us.
Speaker 4: Well, what's interesting is you really shouldn't pick up the phone unless you really know who it is.
Speaker 2: Anymore, we shouldn't have a voice conversation with anyone.
Speaker 4: You just talked about deep fakes. We talked about voice AI impersonations. They can make a voice sound like you mo.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 4: They're even talking about having talking gravestones where they'll take recordings from a person's life ooh, and they will make little discussions so you can walk up to the gravestone ask how they're doing.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, oh yeah, oh that's not what I want.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, but he's going to think of something.
Speaker 3: If I understand.
Speaker 2: It's because we know that people can and spoof numbers where it will show up on your caller.
Speaker 3: Ida is something something number right, or they don't.
Speaker 4: Even have to do that. They can say private call. Okay, here's an example. I got this from tech Crunch because I got a share That's where I got it. Ferrari executive is using WhatsApp. I use WhatsApp when I talk internationally and whatever. It's like a phone call. And the messages were coming from the CEO of Ferrari and the guy didn't recognize the number. He couldn't really be sure it was his boss. So after a bunch of these messages, he said to the purported CEO.
Speaker 5: That he really had to talk to him. So he spoke to him.
Speaker 4: And this person had the southern Italian accent, sounded just like him. Was actually you couldn't identify him in any other way vocally but being that CEO. So when he did that, the guy said, tell me something, and he asked the caller something only the CEO would know because they had met and discussed this two days earlier and the call was disconnected. Now this is the CEO of Ferrari. These are the employees of Ferrari being fooled. This can happen anywhere. It's not a point anymore where it happens just to special people. And if you think you're so cool, you know, I still get calls from people that say private number.
Speaker 3: Oh you won't get me on the phone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not answering it.
Speaker 3: Hell no.
Speaker 5: And I might put this to talking to a stranger. How much you enjoy it?
Speaker 4: And you know, there are great people at car dealerships and and they do a great job showing you features of a car.
Speaker 5: You're wonderful people.
Speaker 4: But I gotta tell you it's the most stressful time in my life when I talk to somebody at a car dealer because sometimes they are very good salespeople. They can sell you down the river real fast, and a good salesman can do it. And if they get you on the phone by some way, you can become part of a scam. And your phone number and your social Security number and your home address and your name have been leaked on that billions of people leak.
Speaker 3: This is so much more complicated and simple.
Speaker 2: At the same time, it's complicated because there's a technological aspect where they can and I'm just put it all together. It can be a private number that can spoof a number. It could be a person that you think you're you know, that you're talking to using seemingly their actual voice, not a random person's voice, and they can put it all together and extract money and information.
Speaker 3: Out of you.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely, And believe me, if the police want money for a ticket, they're not going to call you or the irs. The IRS at your bank is not going to call you for money. Nobody is going to request payment in gift cards. This just doesn't happen. Don't believe any of the three you know, and I hate to say it. If they say they're, you know, with the Police League for Goodness or whatever it is, you don't know who they are. And you have to know who people are. I got an email, and I know we're talking about voice, but I got an email from a legitimate person T Mobile. Oh excuse me, that was a call I got. But I got an email. It was from a legitimate person.
Speaker 5: I knew the name.
Speaker 4: It had my address, my cell phone number, and my full name as part of the email that was the scariest thing I've ever gotten, and you.
Speaker 2: Knew it was fishing, but still they had enough accurate infront it.
Speaker 4: I googled the name and it was a legitimate name, and so there was an attachment on it that was it was a PDF, and I ran it through super super strong security software and it was clean, and I let Google run it through their software in the cloud, and I read it and it was you know, I have I've put a keystrokelogger on your computer.
Speaker 5: And this is the short story.
Speaker 4: Because they went on and on and shamed you and shamed you for watching your dirty porn on the computer and for only this much bitcoin sent to such and such an address. Let me tell you, it was very convincing, very convinced, so convincing that I'm on Facebook the other day and I see that somebody else has gotten that same email, and who has obviously been watching some nasty porn there, who's talking about how he's not going to send them the money.
Speaker 2: Marshall, call you, So what is it you're telling us right now? Are you telling us about a scammer? You telling us about your porn video has?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I gave it up.
Speaker 4: All I'm telling you is you have to watch out for everything that happens. I got a phone call from somebody. I don't know if it was a listener of KFI.
Speaker 5: You know, at least leave a.
Speaker 4: Text message, let me know, leave a message if you really want to talk to me, and you happen to have come across my number and you have to call me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I don't know you.
Speaker 5: I'm not answering the phone. Yeah, it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 3: But it was.
Speaker 4: I looked up the name and the number was a legitimate person in the LA area, and I normally would have called back, and I said, no, why because they're better salesman than me, who can probably convince me that scary stuff is going on.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of scary stuff each and every week. We have to tell you about scary stuff. But there's a way to navigate this and maneuver around it. And that's why we love you, Marshall Collier, because you help protect us sometimes from ourselves.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's really hard.
Speaker 4: I know you want to answer that phone, but if you don't recognize who it is, don't answer it.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Marshall Callier and we'll see you again next week.
Speaker 3: Next week. No, that's right, you're gone next week.
Speaker 5: I have to go investigate oil wells.
Speaker 3: Excuse me.
Speaker 5: After I do that, I'll be back the following week.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see you.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Growing up as a kid, I thought I was going to be an astronaut. I really did want to grow up to be an astronaut. And then I started learning more about the vacuum of space, and I said, no, I do not want to be in an astronaut. I would rather not die in space or in the void of space. And maybe because I understood that space is really difficult, I grew up in the shadow of the Apollo missions. I didn't get to experience them firsthand. I was too young to best appreciate them. I was a Shuttle era era a kid where I followed all the Shuttle launches, and I dreamed of a time in which we would actually get to privatize space.
Speaker 3: We're now there.
Speaker 2: We can talk about the Boeing star Liner in that situation. We can talk about SpaceX, we can talk about now the first private space walk. I wanted to stay up all night and see it because I think it happened around for like three thirty in the morning. But I can't stay up past midnight. Maybe Mark Ronner could have, but I couldn't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what would be more inspiring to me than to watch a billionaire buy something else that it takes a normal person their entire life to achieve. Yeah, would that'd be great?
Speaker 2: The realization that I had was and this is coming from someone who grew up wanting to be an astronaut. I went from I would do it for free as as a kid to you could not pay me enough money to get on a space ship and then walk my ass out into the void just for the thrill of it.
Speaker 6: And yet you go on cruise ships when the ocean the ocean is equally inhospitable.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: I could, in theory fall off a cruise ship and paddle for five or ten minutes, and hopefully people have fallen off cruise ships and survived.
Speaker 3: There is no one who's been lost in space and survived.
Speaker 6: Well, you saw two thousand and one where Dave Bowman has to hold his breath to get from the capsule back into the ship.
Speaker 3: You can do that. I believe in you. You can hold your breath.
Speaker 2: See, there's a difference between movies and there's reality. And the reality is that no one survives in the vacuum of space if exposed to it. People have fallen off cruise ships and survived. Don't kid yourself, you're gonna die. Well, I am not die. I just want to have some saying how I'm going to die, and I'm just saying I'm not dying in space. And the thing is, this guy, Jared Jared Isaacman paid millions and millions of dollars just for the opportunity to kind of hover in space for about an hour or two.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: There is there's no scenario, there are no looks. Say, mister Kelly, will give you five million dollars to do it. Now, We'll give you ten million New, We'll give you a date with halle Berry and five million new.
Speaker 3: Well, let's think about it now.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing it because I'm not putting myself in that position to die in space.
Speaker 6: And you find that odd. I find it cowardly. I find like you're siding up to go cowardly and shameful.
Speaker 2: Wait, he calls it cowardly, but won't get on a cruise ship. Right, he calls it cowardly, but won't go into a group of crowded people, A crowded group of people.
Speaker 6: Mar Yeah, we tried that experiment, and we saw how that turned out.
Speaker 3: Did you die? Came close? Oh, Mark, closer than I preferred. Mark.
Speaker 7: If you're not gonna get on a cruise ship, you cannot encourage space walks. I am a patriot, so I would go into space for my country. Okay, So that's all you need.
Speaker 2: Just a patch they're going to put on your arms, as you know, in a in a full fledged space astronaut.
Speaker 6: Well, no, if I could get laid with Halle Berry like you suggested a moment ago, that'd be great too.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that would be that would be sufficient. Then I didn't say anything again, la detour. I didn't say Halle I know you're listening right now. I said nothing about getting laid, No, no, no, just for company.
Speaker 3: Did say a date? Yeah, I said a date. Well, wait a minute, you all all dates mean sex. I'm saying, what is going on here? Man? I'm just food.
Speaker 2: It's dangerous enough to be in a in a capsule in outer space. Okay, I'm not trying to get killed by Hallie, all right. I respect the woman too much for that. Oh, I respect her enormously. I'm not trying to be in the sixty two mile high club.
Speaker 6: I'm I would enjoy showing my respect to her for like twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: What if we walk in? What does that happening? I need a good hour?
Speaker 2: Okay, here, here's here's the here's the here's the goodness. Okay, oh my, don't you don't you dare step in? Don't you will? I will come through the screen, and don't you len against company policy?
Speaker 3: Foods.
Speaker 2: You don't have to take that. Okay, here's the real question. What would be your price to do an hour or two space walk connected to SpaceX? This is not NASA, they were actually testing new space suits.
Speaker 6: Okay, well you since you say SpaceX, if it's an Elon Musk venture, then no, you couldn't get me.
Speaker 3: To do it. Okay, what about boweling star Liner?
Speaker 6: I don't know, but you know, if Musk's uh spacewalks or anything like Twitter or his cars, I'm gonna give it a pass.
Speaker 3: You know that he doesn't actually build anything, right, you know that? Yeah, I've read this. Yeah, okay, okay, let's start with you, Stefan.
Speaker 2: What is your price to go up in a privatize spaceship and do a space walk for two hours? Uh?
Speaker 3: The more you talk about it, the more I don't know want to do it. But I'd say, let's say two hundred million. That's a reasonable price. Is that all? What a bargain? Mark your turn? What's your price?
Speaker 6: I'd just do it unless it was unless it was run by Elon Musk, and then I would absolutely never do it under any circumstances Bezos. Well, didn't Shatner go up with Bezos? Yeah, but Shatner lived and he's in his nineties. He didn't do a space walk. He's just safe enough.
Speaker 3: He didn't. He didn't actually leave the orbiter.
Speaker 6: Well, if I were with Bezos, I would make him go first, and if he didn't die immediately, I'd follow him.
Speaker 7: Okay, Swaller, there's there's absolutely nothing. There's no price. I mean like like if I could be bought for a spacewalk, I could be bought for anything, So there's no price.
Speaker 3: If I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 7: And to me, whether it's a shoddy Musk rocket or a sleek Besos rocket, I mean, I look, I am someone who, if I was given five years to live, I'm signing up for the Mars mission because I'm like, you know, I'm gonna go out doing something the crazy.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but just because you know you're going to die within a certain amount of time, it doesn't mean that you're opening your stuff up to die horribly.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't know if I believe that everything is going to be horrible and tragic. I think if you know, if it's like, hey, you know, you can make this mark and live forever, and infamy will have a school named after you, will rename you know. I don't know a college radio station after you. I don't know the Sharp Sharp studio or the Sharp launch site. Yeah, I'm going to Mars. The Sharp crater on Mars, Okay, put it this way, crater, that's mark.
Speaker 2: Look, I think of going out into outer space, like going on that sub which imploded.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that would do.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying it's just because to Twalla's point, just because he may be terminal with cancer or something like that, heading forbid, and I'm pushing that on to you. That doesn't mean that I'm going to start doing really crazy and stupid things, because there is still a horrible way to die before you get to the cancer.
Speaker 7: Is enough getting me on the damn boat. You think I'm getting on a sub No, I don't have that much love for water.
Speaker 3: But out of space it's the same thing. No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 6: For me.
Speaker 7: Outer space that is something that has long fascinated me. And if I had nothing to lose, or not way too much to lose, I've way too much to lose. They got kids to watch grow up, you know, have grandkids, runner, I got all that to look forward to. But heaven forbid within the next you know, I don't know, twenty years and they fully developed this Mars habitat where they will live for a year or so, or maybe it'll live for two weeks or so and then die horribly by the Martian radiation. I might say, you know what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I call BS twelve because you won't even get on a subway and you're gonna stay in No.
Speaker 7: Look, I've been on I've even been on this crazy metro sub and was trapped on the car with some crazy person talking the entire time or underground, you know there's those, and she was going off threatened to Kenselboddy. Okay, well I've been on that all right.
Speaker 2: So if that's I'll just say claustrophobic for you, What do you think is going to be on a Bezos ship or a SpaceX ship. They're not like, uh, enterprise size. KFI AM six forty we're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And football season as well underway college and pro. But if you're a college football fan like me, you probably were heartbroken at the end or what was thought to be the end of the Pac twelve conference. You know, USC is not in the Pac twelve anymore. They're in the Big Ten. They're over there with Wisconsin and Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa. They're in the Big Ten, as is Washington and Oregon. When do you think, well, who's left in the in the Pac twelve? Well, did you know? Did you know that Stanford and UC Berkeley they're now in the A, which is the Atlantic Coast Conference. Stafford and UC Berkeley, which are only maybe a few miles as it were, from the Pacific Ocean, are playing in the Atlantic Coast Conference on the other side of the country. Well you think, then, what's going to happen with the PAC twelve. Was it just going to be defunct? Was it just gonna di disintegrate into nothing? No, it's not dead yet because now the PAC twelve has welcomed Fresno State, San Diego State, Boise State, as In Idaho, and Colorado State Universities to the PAC twelve. The only two schools which were remaining were Oregon State and Washington State. So the PAC twelve is still somewhat a West Coast conference. It won't have the heavy weights that it once had before because UCLA and USC obviously went to the Big Ten, followed by Oregon and Washington to the Big Ten, and most of the other schools left for different conferences in the PAC twelve. But there will be still a PAC twelve conference, at least for the near future. Now, it won't have the same feeling, it won't have the same appeal, it won't have the same bowl alignment from what I understand, because in decades past, you'd have the winner of the PAC twelve face off with the winner of the Big Ten in the Rose Bowl. And I don't know if that alliance is still going to hold given the imbalance of the two conferences. You can't have some like Colorado State versus Michigan in the Rose Bowl. That wouldn't make any sense. But the PAC twelve, as we once knew it is dead. But you will have some and Frinstale State is a good football school. Boise State is a good football school. Colorado State not so much. You know, Oregon State, Washington State, they were at the bottom of the PAC twelve. But at least you will still have West Coast football being featured in the PAC twelve. And Teresa Gould, who is the commissioner of the PAC twelve, said quote for over a century, the PAC twelve conference has been recognized as a leading brand in intercollegiate athletics, which it has been. She goes on, we will continue to pursue bold, cutting edge opportunities for growth and progress to best serve our member institutions and student athletes. I'm thankful to our board for their efforts to welcome Boise and State University, Coado State University, California State University Fresno, and San Diego State University to the conference and exciting new era for the PAC twelve conference begins today. And I remember for decades they would tell us we can't have a football playoff because it would ruin the conference bowl alignment and the bowl matchups like the Rose Bowl or the Orange Bowl and the Sugar Bowl.
Speaker 3: And we knew that wasn't true.
Speaker 2: It's just that there wasn't enough money in the college Football Playoff for these commissioners to start making these moves. Now there is, and now the teams have started moving. That's why UCLA and USC moved to the Big Ten, which makes no damn sense because there's no real geographical continuity. You have these West Coast teams and got Rutgers in the Big Ten. You have a new Jersey school in California schools in the same conference. What's the point of having conferences at all? But that's the way it is now because it's all about that money. And there is so much money in college football and this National Football Playoff, which has been expanded to twelve teams, that some schools, some commissioners could not turn down the opportunity to make millions on top of millions for the respective universities. And I get it, you can't leave those paydays on the table. But as someone who grew up loving college football, loving USC even to this day, you fall in love with not only the team, but also the matchups, the rivalries, the significance of the Rose Bowl, an idea of USC versus UCLA here in southern California, and what that would mean for the Pac twelve conference. It used to be the Pack eight, then it went to the Pac ten and then to the Pac twelve, but you still had the goal of playing for a chance to play in the Rose Bowl against the Big ten champion. And that tradition now no longer exists, and sometimes we can be prisoners of nostalgia, but that was something I think which made college football better, those long standing rivalries that we won't have in the same way anymore. But the Pac twelve is not done yet. Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, and San Diego State are now members of the Pac twelve. And I know Mark Ronald doesn't care, but it's a big deal. Twalla Sharp does not care, but it's a huge deal. I've listened to every single word you just said. I know you listen. You just you did not comprehend any of them. Oh no, it's all burned into my mind now. It's very important. Okay, all right. Did you even care about anything in Washington Athletics when you were up there?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, I'm sure I went. Well, Paquino's the Pac ten.
Speaker 2: Right right, which is I don't know how long ago at this point, so I and now that it's the twelve, I have no interest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's either ten or nothing. I insist on ten.
Speaker 2: Was it Washington University of Washington or Washington State that you gravitated to?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 6: Both, But the only games I went to were WSU in Pullman because because there's nothing else to do there.
Speaker 3: Really, I've never been there. Don't don't do it.
Speaker 6: That's the place I told you either last night or the night before that, the drinking ages nineteen in Idaho, So everybody drove the eight miles to get loaded because there's nothing to do there.
Speaker 2: You know, my geography is not the best, but I have to remind myself that Idaho is that close when it comes to the eastern portion of Washington and Pullman being on the eastern portion of the state.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Idaho might as well have its own state. And I don't want to give these geniuses any ideas it might as well form its own state with eastern Washington, because they're very much of like minds.
Speaker 2: Well, look, Idaho, they've been trying to I can't should I say this? You know they they have their own way of thinking there, and it's not a place I want to visit that much.
Speaker 6: I know, without getting too explicit, I can tell you you particularly might not be very welcome. Yes, yes, me, I could, I could pass you not so much. No, no, no, no, no. We would have a misunderstanding there in Idaho. Yeah, I suspect.
Speaker 2: So it's one of the states I haven't visited and I don't plan to visit in this lifetime.
Speaker 3: No reason to go. It's not like they have Disneyland there or something. Yeah, choose life instead, Mo.
Speaker 2: It's later with Mo Kelly can if I AMCX forty, We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Prepare to be stimulated.
Speaker 3: K Fin and the kost EHD two Los Angeles, Orange County lies everywhere on the