Speaker 1: Rapid fireweather partly cloudie, isolated afternoon storm with later today eighty three. The high overnight low sixty seven, humid tomorrow mostly sunny, slight chancering in the afternoon eighty four.
Speaker 2: The high in an.
Speaker 1: Overnight low is sixty six with the clouds. It's seventy one. Right now is traffic time from the UC.
Speaker 2: Up Tramphic Center.
Speaker 3: Nearly sixty percent of Americans waiting on a new organ transplant are from multicultural communities. Get the Gift of Life, become an organ donor, or explore let me donation at UC health dot com slash transplant. Highway traffic continues slow on seventy five northbound. Add an extra five out of Burrow lingering to downtown and slow's just a bit past the lateral southbound seventy five heavy US through Walklan Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR.
Speaker 2: See the talk station Hey.
Speaker 1: Forty fifty five KERR ceed talk station Happy Today Extra Special the return of the next Governor of the State of Ohio, V. Bake Ramaswami, who was at the town hall last night along with Christopher Smithman who was on the program earlier talking about that welcome back vv. It is a pleasure to have you on the program, and thank you so much for attending that town hall last night. I'm sure you were actually quite enlightened. Although you did a fantastic job with your ideas and suggestions. You're just so impressive with your ability to deal with questions on the fly. But what was your reaction to the event overall? And welcome back to the morning show.
Speaker 2: It's great to be on my lot.
Speaker 4: It is that people are hungry to be heard, because this issue of crime and Cincinnati isn't just a one off episode that came from a week.
Speaker 2: And a half ago.
Speaker 4: What's clear to me is you hear the stories of people who came last night.
Speaker 2: This is an issue that needs to be.
Speaker 4: Addressed systemically, holistically, and so giving people a chance to at least share their right We heard from whose story is now well known. Her husband was killed in cold blood in her home by a man who had managed to manipulate his own ankle bracelet. Another mother who spoke last night, who had lost two sons. Yes, is staggering two gun violence in Cincinnati. Not one, but two sons killed in our city, Cincinnaty. It was eye opening and so I think the fact that we were able to have open dialogue and some contrary views too that you heard last night, Yes, at least allowed us to air that frustration rather than sweeping it under the rug. And that is how I hope to lead this state, is not through agreeing on everything with everyone. That's impossible, but at least having an open, respectful dialogue that brings people and to harness as practical solutions in this case to address the istrue Island crime. And that's exactly what we're going to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess you had some really terrific ideas. I guess the frustrating part for me, and I can only characterize it as frustrating. That was my kind of my reaction. You identified the problems we can address law enforcement resources, allocation of law enforcement, increasing numbers of police department, that kind of direct you know, on the street, sort of chains that could be brought about rather quickly. But the broader, longer term problem and maybe the root of the violence is a systemic problem. And you focused a lot about bringing back accountability back to the family and how important the family unit is and it used to be a societally stabilizing factor. But you know, the the nuclear family disappeared shortly after the Johnson administrations welfare policies. I mean, we talked about that a lot last night too.
Speaker 4: That's right, and I'm glad we got to those deeper issues last night. So first of all, the fact that there are deeper issues shouldn't stop us from addressing some of the more superficial ways we can still get empowering cops to be able to do their job, common sense, making sure that we're not releasing repeat fount offenders on minimal bond easily fixable, bringing back mental health institutions to make sure that psychiatrically ill people aren't just roaming the streets and aren't just.
Speaker 2: Filling up the jails.
Speaker 4: These are common sense things that we're going to be able to take care of. But those aren't the root causes, of course, And so the root caused a nuclear family? What caused the breakdown of the nuclear family. I said this last night. I don't blame black people, I don't blame white people. I blame the government because it is our federal government. Starting with Lyndon Johnson's misnamed Great Society Project, that we started creating financial incentives.
Speaker 2: For the breakdown of that nuclear family.
Speaker 4: Created a new culture of dependence in the United States of America, and it's created a new kind of new kind of emancipation proclamation that we need today and emancipation from those failed government incentives that have set back the very people who were supposedly supposed to be helped by those policies.
Speaker 2: And you know that's going to require some changes and athids across the country. A lot of those are caused federal law.
Speaker 4: But I'll tell you tile, I want us to be a state that sets an example for the rest of the country to say that, you know what, we're going to create a generation of young people who were so well educated through it education system that's no longer behind China, but ahead it's economic opportunity through economic activity, come into the state to create good paying jobs that you don't need to dependent on that federal welfare state because frankly, it's be't good for individuals and it isn't sustainable.
Speaker 2: For our net anyway. I want us to be a state that's planning ahead for that future.
Speaker 4: And if we're fixing that education system, we're fixing those root causes. Combine that with common sense reforms in our judicial system and law enforcement. That's going to also create a prosperous Cincinnati and prosperous cities across our state. And I do think we have an opportunity to do. I mean, this is why and this Brian is these.
Speaker 2: Are fixable issues. They want a state to put a man on the mood. That's a scientific problem that we solved. This is easy by comparison.
Speaker 4: These are man made problems that have man made solutions. We're not missing knowledge of how to do it. What we're arguably missing is courage. And that's what I'm bringing to the table, starting from the top and setting that tone statewide.
Speaker 2: And I'm hoping that's.
Speaker 4: Going to, as we saw last night, bring all kinds of people together of different kinds of backgrounds and political persuasion around those common sense ideals that I do believe unite most people in this state.
Speaker 1: Well, you did mention the judicial system, and that's one of the more frustrating elements of all this. If we had a mayor that was pro police and was outspoken and support of police and communities working with police, that would be great. If we had a police chief that was measurably competent and good at allocating police resources and had sufficient police numbers, a contingent of police officers there to help and serve the community. That would be great. That problem can be fixed, But until you get to the judicial system, assuming the prosecutor's office is willing to prosecute people to the fullest extent of the law. The failure in our area, this county particularly is with the judges who don't seem to be interested in enforcing the criminal law.
Speaker 4: Well, look, I think we got some very practical ideas that we've even surfaced over the course of yesterday. And as you know, I'm born and raised in Cincinnati. Since day's my hometown, I feel special sentence of connection and also obligation to make sure that if our hometown is in making national example, it's in a positive light, not a negative light like the last days.
Speaker 2: And so that's part of what I came back.
Speaker 4: And even during the visit, the town hall was obviously publicly visible. If you just see how many people came out even you're talking, we had thirteen hundred plus RSVPs and the room was we had overflow space.
Speaker 2: Shows that people are hungry to be heard. But at the same time, you also, you.
Speaker 4: Know, you also have to listen to the people who disagree with you and may have different perspectives as well. So over the course of the day, I met with the mayor of Cincinnati, I met with the police chief, I met.
Speaker 2: With law enforcement officers.
Speaker 4: Some of those police officers that the level of the individual officers had great ideas that I learned a lot from.
Speaker 2: I met with business leaders in Cincinnati, and then we went to the town hall.
Speaker 4: One of the practical ideas that came out of several of those meetings and also at the town hall is greater accountability through transparency for the judges and the decisions that they actually make.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 4: And so that's something that came out of the discussion we had yesterday was the judges need to at least be publicly visible and held to a standard of public transparency in.
Speaker 2: The decisions they're actually making.
Speaker 4: And you my son missed me last night, so he's five years old and just walked into the room, so you'll probably here.
Speaker 1: That's all right, enjoy it while it lasts.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: That transparency component goes a long way to educating the public to help us make better, more informed decisions. Because unless you're involved in the criminal justice system. Most people don't have any ounce or wit of information about any judicial candidate. They don't run in the party system. They can't obviously render advisory opinions and tell you how they're going to ruin any given circumstance, so that's out of the out of the equation. They don't do debates, so we're largely in the dark about where they stand on any given topic and whether they're hard or soft on crime. That is reflected in their record, which is what we need to see see.
Speaker 2: I think that's exactly it, right. I mean, you could have a debate.
Speaker 4: Go on is ring on sort of the same types of issues that a government candidate would be, or a US presidential candidate or even a congressional candidate. That's fair fine, but at least making sure that the record is transparent to the public.
Speaker 2: That information that belongs to the public. It doesn't belong to some sort of bureaucrat.
Speaker 4: It belongs to the public that we, the voting public, deserve to know because you can't hold them accountable at the ballot box without that basic knowledge of what.
Speaker 2: That record is. So I'm just Protestsparency I.
Speaker 4: Mean, we the people create a government that's accountable to us the other way around, and the idea then the left the judge is going to make decisions on bond, on sentencing without the public having credible, clear, preparent access to that information is money, I think, And that was anyway a productive, constructive solution. We don't care what targe're in, Democrat or Republican. That kind of transparency, it is something we all ought to be able.
Speaker 2: To agree on.
Speaker 4: And that's the kind of common sense reform and common sense sort of just basic policy making that I want to breed this state that doesn't take knowledge.
Speaker 2: I mean, this isn't rocket science right now, not complicated.
Speaker 4: It's kurch Bryan and that's what I'm hoping to bring to the leadership of this stick.
Speaker 1: Well on behalf of all the residence City of Cincinnati. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to the voices and hear the suggestions and understand the problems. Hopefully we will find solutions and solve the broader crime problem but also broader issues in the state. V. V. Ramaswami will be our next governor. Find him online learn more about who he is. Brilliant obviously demonstrably so. And you've got such great vision. And let me compliment before we part company. Viveke, you are so inspirational. No one can leave a meeting where we hear you speak and feel like we're going in a bad direction. You're a cheerleader for the state of Ohio and its future, and I find that refreshing in a candidate, since we always seem to, you know, go to the lowest common denominator when we're dealing with politicians.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that bruh.
Speaker 4: It means a lot and includes my hometown of Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: And everything our run. So thank you, I appreciate it. Will be to pen more.
Speaker 1: Always got a form here in the morning show. Vvek Ramaswami eight fifty right now folks fifty five k see the talk station fifty five the talk station