Speaker 1: Your summer pocket knife of information.
Speaker 2: It's the only way to stay in for him. Fifty five KARC the talk Station.
Speaker 1: TATO five fifty five KRCD Talk Station Rin Thomas swissing everyone a happy Friday, and I hope you have some great plans going on this week. A bit of a sommer note. Bring Sarah Herringer, a bit Sarah Heringer back into the studio. And I'm sure everybody in my listening audience is familiar with the name. She is a widow thanks to a guy named Mordecai Black who cut off his ankle monitor. He was out on parole. He was out wandering about for months, no indication that law enforcement had any idea at all that he had cut off his ankle monitor. And he broke into their home, Patrick Herringer and Sarah Herringer's home and over the rhine where they have had a business, and stabbed Patrick Herringer to death right in front of his wife Sarah, and Patrick died saving his wife's life. Sarah Herringer, the widow, is in studio to talk about what she's trying to do, and that's bring about some sanity here in the state of Ohio. Like real time monitoring of ankle monitors. Sarah, it's good to have you back in the studio.
Speaker 2: Thanks, it's good to be here.
Speaker 1: I wish you didn't have to be famous for the reasons you are famous now, but I'm glad to see that you're spreading the word and knowledge and information is really powerful. I had a caller earlier in the program who suggested, you know, oh, we have these ankle monitor programs because it just all makes us feel like something's being done. Well, he's got an ankle monitor, and naturally the authorities are monitoring it, and he's defined. He's confined to a certain place, like the confines of his home and maybe the place where he works, that's all. And if he goes out of those areas, some alarm are going to go off somewhere. Law enforcement's going to be notified, and they're going to go after him and try to pick him up. That makes sense, and that's what we are led to believe. This is how the system works, is it not?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I mean, I am one of the people who found out that ankle monitors do not monitor in real time, and that currently when you disable one, it also doesn't trigger any kind of alarm.
Speaker 1: That in and of itself is hard to believe.
Speaker 2: Yes, as soon as I found out, I likened it to Jurassic Park when the fences go off, and I was like, okay, and the I mean, the thing is is, obviously we do not know that. The people who put ankle monitors on know that. And the unfortunate thing is all of the criminals, the felons wearing the ankle monitors are the ones who know that they don't work in track in real time.
Speaker 1: So you anticipated my next question, is this word gotten out already? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean everyone knows that. I mean, they all know that. And it's another example of where optics over true outcomes. It's like, what's the entire what's the purpose? Why would you put an ankle monitor on to begin with if it's that ineffective?
Speaker 1: Well exactly, And you know, I considering your case and what we all now are aware of thanks to you bringing this to everybody's attention, they're not monitoring them, and the powers that be are aware that that's knowing not going on. One of the defendants in that you'll I beat down was in front of a judge yesterday and told that she had to be where she had to wear an ankle monitor. He lowered her bond from two hundred thousand dollars down to twenty five thousand dollars to ten percent twenty five hundred dollars bond, but she has to wear an electronic monitoring device. And Fox nineteen reported that the judge warned her attorney that if she tampered with her ankle monitor in any way, she would provoke her bond and she'd be locked up in jener until the case went to trial. Well that's fine, that's all well and good, but the judge also knows that tampering with an ankle monitor or removing it is not going to result in alarm going off.
Speaker 2: Correct, So it's just a threat that they put out there in order to do their due diligence. Hey, there are consequences if you do that, but there has to be the thing has to be effective in order for it to work outside. I mean, at this point, we already know that these are people who don't follow the law and don't do what they're told.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, demonstrably. So this sad thing. And I've expressed outright anger over finding this out again as a consequence of your work since learned that. Back in twenty twenty two, the Ohio House passed by a ninety two to one vote a requirement that real time monitoring of ankle bracelets. Yes, it was passed. No, I mean bipartisanship doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: You have something that almost one hundredercent passed and it went over to the Senate committee and it died there.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we uh, Cindy Abrams, she's looking into that because it's why did it die there, you know, and asking the individuals that are named and listed, what was the point of that? But it's it is it's enraging to find out that there is an entire group of lawmakers that have all decided. And this entire thing came about because of the Reagan Tooks case, which I don't know if you're familiar with, well you wrote about it, yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Ryan's Goldsby wore z ankle monitor the night he kidnapped, raped, and murdered Reagan Toaks. This isn't from Serrenga's online letters. She wrote about this. He didn't need to cut it off. He knew no one was watching in real time his GPS trails showed every move, but that was only reviewed after she was shot dead after being raped and kidnapped.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they have it right there, it's right there. Yeah, and her mother did so much work to get the bill to or the act, you know, to that point where it passes, the governor signs off on it, it goes to the Senate committee and they just outright said no, and then it doesn't go you know, to a larger vote in order to be passed into law. And I tell me why that would make sense on you know what level? There's money available.
Speaker 1: Well, there's money available, and there are literally lives at stake here. I mean, you cited several different other illustrations beyond your own personal experience and losing your husband because of this, that it's happened before, and it may have happened a whole bunch more than you even are aware of.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That that is one thing I've been looking into, and it's actually it's it's very hard to find information of how many people have had ankle monitors on and committed crimes or they've popped them, you know, they've disabled them or removed them in some way, and they've created they've reoffended Uh, that's information that I haven't really been able to get a hold of yet. I think that would be really great job for the media and investigating journalism to maybe to start building this case and showing people right there as the information comes out. It's it's all things that we don't know, but we absolutely should so we can get behind something and make it make a change.
Speaker 1: Well a change benefit's literally everyone, yes, anybody and lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, going back to your very profound point, it's almost like stating the obvious, but it's worthy were repeating. These people have already demonstrated they will not follow the law. They have committed crimes which have brought them to prison resulting in probation and ankle monitoring or placed on bond for having committed a heinous crime. They have to be held accountable. They've demonstrated that they don't care.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, I think another thing to look at too is how many of them reoffend or continue to break parole. When it comes to Mordecai Black, he'd spent nineteen of his last twenty years incarcerated, and that was because every time he was out he reoffended, oftentimes breaking the parole that he was on. And that's also information that we really should be taking into account, that judges should absolutely be taking into account is how many times is this person offended?
Speaker 1: Without question? Yeah, and if they've demonstrated a willingness to violate parole, then maybe you don't let them out right, Yes, that's the justice system.
Speaker 2: If you can't play nice, Yeah, then you can all go play with each other in a place called prison.
Speaker 1: Phrasing. I do like that, Sarah, Thank you for that little bit of levity, at least as I interpreted it. Yes, all right, so we will go ahead and name names, considering we have the list of senators on the Senate Judiciary Committee who let this thing die. Chairman Nathan H. Manning, Republican Republican, Michelle Reynolds, Vice Chair, Louis Blessing, Republican, Republican, Al Katrona, Republican Teresa Gavroni, Democrats Paula Hicks Hudson, and Democrat Ken Smith. So you had a bipartisan group of folks who let this thing die. It's not going to happen again.
Speaker 2: No, I cannot imagine it will. I'll be working with Cindy Abrams and plan on addressing the Senate myself and have them look me in the eye and tell me that it is not worth passing.
Speaker 1: I love that. And what we were talking about is the Patrick Herringer Act, which will require everyone to be real time monitored, and that's going to be addressed, I guess in the fall session, and we will definitely see that it gets passed. I know my morning show listeners will be more than happy to contact their elected officials to make it happen and not let it die in the Senate. Let me ask out loud. But as we'll move into a break, perhaps this has something to do with money. Do we have enough money to do this? Do we know what it's going to cost to hire people to follow it? I think it's a worthy expenditure, considering all of our lives are at least theoretically at stake. Here ask Sarah. It's a fifteen right now. If you I have k see the talk station, we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: This is here's your channel. I first one and one to forecast hot and you that get used to it ninety to high with a heat index mid nineties overnight clear seventy. Money must say sunny, hot and even Tomorrow, ninety two feeling more like ninety eight overnight clear money in seventy one, noticing a theme mostly sunny, hot and human on Sunday as well. Ninety three film more like one hundred. It's seventy two right now, Let's get a traffic update from Chuck Ingram.
Speaker 3: From do you see a Traumphic Center that you see help Backneck and Spine Center.
Speaker 4: Offers innovative t to improve.
Speaker 3: Quality of life with convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and northern Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Learn more at you See how dot com.
Speaker 3: Northbound seventy five is running an extra half hour out of Saint Bernard to an accident before you get to Gabbert. The left lane's blocked off. Southbound seventy five slows through Lachland. There's a wreck on the ramp from Coal Rain to eastbound seventy four. Chuck Ingram and fifty five KOC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Eighteen fifty five kri ceed he talk station, try to make it a happy Friday. Take Rick Green's message and run with it. Rick Green from Spirit Works Ministries on the program earlier, talking about the movie that was made about his life. It's just spreading a real inspirational message and hopefully we can draw some inspiration for my guest in studio, the return of Sarah Herringer lost her husband in that terrible, terrible stabbing in their apartment over the Rhine. I'm going back to the Patrick Herringer Act, which ken we're going to get past this fall. It would require real time monitoring, actually, someone literally paying attention to folks out there on ankle monitors so they can't cut them off, so they can't, you know, wander around for months before committing their next crime. Is this is and again the idea that this was passed overwhelmingly in the Ohio House only to die in the Senate committee. Do you know whether this was a money issue, Sarah, I means like, no, we can't do that. That's going to cost us'll have a taxpayer too much money.
Speaker 2: I would assume it had to come down to a dollar amount. Why else would it be rejected when when it comes to right kind of thing.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm angry about it, I can't. I mean, I'm trying to be Switzerland neutrality here and trying to figure out what would stop this from happening, and you know, one might say, well, we really don't have the technology to do this real time, and I would throw a BS flag on that.
Speaker 2: You might do the technology exists, we do have it, you know. And the other part of it too is also the and part of the act is having the the alerts go to the local police departments right and have them notified. It's it's not even enough that it's like, well, when when this happens, when the acle monitor you know, the notification, where does it go, who's monitoring it, what happens to it, who's responding, And there just needs to be a faster and more you know, urgency behind the apprehension of someone who's done this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how about like an Amber alert? Yeah, I mean, if a child goes missing, you get an Amber alert almost immediately as soon as the authorities are made aware. They've got a central system that sends out the messages, right.
Speaker 2: And about that, and they also they treat you know, different felons differently. To my understanding, I've been speaking with some of the local police officers here, and when it comes to sex offenders, they get notified immediately for that, thankfully, thankfully, Yes, And there can't just be you know, like this one's worse than all of the others, so you know there should be it's in it. But it shows again that there is already a system and technology in place for a certain type of criminal, for a certain type of alert. So why wouldn't we just put that across the board with anyone wearing an ankle monitor and also notify the police for anyone who has gone a wall, and especially violent criminals, not just ones who have created sex crimes.
Speaker 1: And to the extent they want to prioritize their efforts in rounding that person off. Well, it's a low level offender. The person got, you know, busted for third offense stealing sodas or something for a convenience store, was serving minor amount of time, or was out on probation with an ankle monitor over a non violent offense. We're not going to prioritize our efforts to get that guy. But we know he's out there because we got the alert, right, it seems manageable. And then the child molester comes out, All right, all man on deck, We're all gonna go out and search for this pervert. Absolutely, that's the way you manage that And the other thing is we have geo fencing. I mean you can program your cell phone and your your your dog ankle or your dog collar that zaps them when they go past a certain area. You don't need to put a line in the ground anymore. You just allocate the plan based on GPS satellite images and boom, you've got it. The dog gets to that area, it's gonna get zapped. Same thing. Technology clearly works.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And you know what, going back to that money thing, do the to close millions of dollars? I go back to the we found six hundred million dollars to give to the Cleveland Browns six million. I gotta imagine that would cover most of the cost of this. I mean, how much can it possibly cost to run this kind of system.
Speaker 2: Well that that's the other thing that Cindy Abrams were looking into. She when she introduced this bill the first time, there was and that's the thing where she's looking to see what happened. There is money for it. There is, there is, and it's not you know the person that's like, oh, like yeah, you know, some of the complaints have been how much more taxes? You know, how is this going to raise taxes. How much would this I'm already paying so much And it's like, no, you don't need to pay any more taxes than you're already paying. We need to reallocate these things towards programs that have transparency and proven success and not just keep taking that money and dumping them into organizations that are designed to manage poverty and crime. Therefore they don't actually fix them because their jobs would go away.
Speaker 1: Oh and that isn't that a problem here in the system. There's so many non governmental organizations out there doing work in the community, and they have their hand in the taxpayer cookie jar. They do get paid, and they do promise to do some good that's been defined which qualify them to get some of the taxpayer dollars. But does anyone follow up and really try, truly do an analysis to find out if the work that they claim they're doing is actually.
Speaker 2: It's actually effective. And in Cincinnati the answer is no. And in our own hometown, where we have that type of system, that type of government funds being put into these NGOs, to date, there is not They are not showing true metrics of success, mostly because they haven't defined them. Yeah, you know, yes, very convenient to decide or see whether something that they're putting money towards works or not. So it does. I think with all of that it has to come from a total reorganization, from reallocation of funds. But we need the leadership to really be transparent with what our money is being spent on anyway, line by line, where is it going, metrics of success, and then the money just really needs to go to a program such as a real time ankle monitoring notification working with local law enforcement. Man, that's something that's that's effective.
Speaker 1: And you can make a great argument for that, demonstrably effective just on a theoretical level that we're talking here. You ask the question, can this be accomplished? Do we have the technology to do it? Of course we do. Can we make this happen? Well, of course we can. This is not sort of conceptually beyond the pale, some sort of brand new thing that you're thinking up out a whole clack. I mean, I'm sure there's real time monitoring somewhere out in the world, some other county or.
Speaker 2: Community, probably other states within Yeah.
Speaker 1: We could just follow their lead. The work's already done. Don't reactly well, just do what they did more with Sarah Herringer. It's eight twenty five right now.
Speaker 4: If you have KCD talk station, this is fifty five karc an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: Jenedi first only one whole ks two day hot, human sunny, ninety's gonna feel like ninety five overnight clear and seventy. Tomorrow it's gonna be humid too, mostly sunny hot and NEUMANO R ninety two is gonna feel like ninety eight overnight, muggy and seventy one, and on Sunday ninety three is gonna feel like one hundred. If you believe in heat indexes, you will believe in the sun and humidity will face on Sunday at seventy two. Right now, it's going to traffic update Chuck from the.
Speaker 3: UCL Tramphics Center that u See Health Bank Neck and Spine Center offers innovative treatment to improve quality of life with convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and northern Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Learn more at UC health dot com.
Speaker 3: Cruise continue to work with an accident at northbound seventy five before you got to Gavra Left Lane's block.
Speaker 4: That's an extra twenty.
Speaker 3: Minutes plus from just above seventy four northbound seventy one slows a bit passed Red Bank as a wreck ee spend seventy four's ramp from Coal Raine Chuck Ingram on fifty five krs.
Speaker 4: The talk station.
Speaker 1: A twenty nine if if you five KRCD talk station by the time with Sarah Herringer Loost her husband Patrick in a terribly violent stabbing attack in their over the Rhine apartment. They are business owners in the community that lived there for I guess you told me eight years, Sarah hears, yeah, eight year and you moved out.
Speaker 2: Up yes, yeah, no longer there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you sucked it up as long as you could and over the Rhine. Now you've heard. May I have to have perwol in the wake of this ridiculous and horrific violence that we witnessed a few weeks ago, and with the beat down, I think everyone kind of generally understands when you say what the beatdown was, which event we're referring to. But the mayor and other council members and the city manager, and I guess, to some extent, although not as much, Police Chief Thigi coming out saying, oh no, Cincinnati's safe, don't believe your eyes. Don't believe what you see on the video. Cincinnati's a safe place, they claim the crime is down. Now, you lived in over the Rhine, one of the hotspots. It's been repeatedly identified for criminal activity regularly. I'm not just picking on Over the Rhine, but you actually lived there. So living there for eight solid years, what was your experience? I mean, and your husband was killed what June sixth?
Speaker 2: Fourth?
Speaker 1: June fourth, So in the eight years preceding June fourth, when you finally said you've had enough for obvious reasons, what was it like day.
Speaker 2: To day there? We always played the gun or the game? Is that gunshots or fireworks?
Speaker 1: Oh? You know, I remember my days in Chicago. Yeah, it's gonna play out in our alleyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, is that construction? Fireworks? Gunshot?
Speaker 1: Cars don't backfire anymore?
Speaker 2: You can go ahead exactly. And uh yeah, I mean that if you do look at the shot Spotter program, that's like a year to date, there's like twenty two thousand shots. Who So that's and and maybe I don't want to be too misleading, I need to double check that data that was that was thrown out. But the point being is my lived experience is shots fired on a regular weekly occurrence in for for the past eight years. The concern that uh before this was more so theft, and then Patrick and I had talked And it's insane for me to be saying this now, but I really believed that I was safe. Other than wrong place, wrong time, The crime wasn't towards me. I, you know, catch a stray bullet, which the bullets had to go somewhere. There have been times where you know, they've been in the roof of our house, they're on the roof of our building. There. There was a night where we were out and it just felt there was a big event in Washington Park and I was like, I don't feel good. Let's out here, Let's just go home. It was nine pm. We got home and we have bullets whizzing by our bedroom to a point where my husband drops to the floor and he's an army that he's been deployed. This wasn't and I was like, oh, I guess we're getting to the floor now. A couple weeks before this had happened outside on Walnut Street down in Otr across from the shell forty to fifty shots fired. It wakes me up in my bed and I'm like, okay, gunshots, Oh my god, unshots. I'm laying as flat as I can in my bed as far as all my like, is this going to come through the window? What's going to happen? Uh? So that even then we were like, all right, the the the bullets are going to go somewhere. Uh. That's that is probably our greatest threat. So it's probably time to move out of here.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so no, I mean downtown is not safe. And for the elected officials to continue saying that, to skew data, to try to you know, present, to paint a story. And I understand why they're doing it. I own a business in OTR and I'm hesitant to say it, but we had to press charges on someone who uh attacked a member just this week. And the parking lot oh no, yeah. And these are things where it's you know, the media is like do you want to report? And now you know here I'm talking about it, but I'm like, no, this is my business, this is my livelihood. I'm already suffering. I've already lost us, my husband. The threat now on a safety level when it comes to financial means. So I understand why they want to paint this picture Cincinnati, the games, the events. That's why they have the elevated police presence. Is they want to create a feeling of safety. But what to get people to move in, yes, exactly, you know, and to even come down and spend their their dollars. And we need that. But what the business owners and residents of OTR are saying is, don't just give us the appearance of safety. Make it safe all the time, not just when Taylor Swift is in town.
Speaker 1: Put an exclamation point underline and put it in bold. Safe all the time, not just when Taylor Swift's in town. Well, you knocked it out of the park with that one era. Amen, let's pause with the early break, just a slightly early break. It's coming up on eight thirty five. We'll bring her back and talk some more about life and over the Rhine and well, is it possible to turn it around? Also her perception of how police are being treated through her observations and over the Rhine stick around, be.
Speaker 2: Right back fifty five krc Hoh was terrified.
Speaker 1: Here's your Channa nine first one to one forecast, mostly hot, humid day today ninety feel like more like ninety five overnight humid seventy for the lower clear skies ninety two feeling like ninety eight with a heating next tomorrow guests hot and humid and sunny skies, Clear skies every night, muggy and seventy one in a sunny, hot, humid Sunday, going up to ninety three and feeling like one hundred right now seventy four and type for traffic.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Triumphic Center. The u See Health Bank, Neck and Spine Center offers innovative treatments to improve quality of life. With convenient locations are cross Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. Learn more and you see how high North Bend seventy five continues over a twenty minute delay thanks to an accident before galvarth ent Lane remains blocked.
Speaker 4: Traffic backs up close to seventy four.
Speaker 3: Peruser working with rex song Coal rings ramped to eastbound seventy four and Montgomery at Kennedy Chuck ingramon fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: A thirty eight fifty five KRCD talk station. Hope you're having a happy Friday. I'm thoroughly enjoying in spite of the subject matter my conversation with Sarah Herringer with her lost lost her husband Patrick and is stabbing at their over the Rhine apartment after having moved down and over the Rhine for eight years and establishing a business and over the Rhine. But I guess becoming the word you used off air Sarah desensitized because I told you, you know, it's it's just not me. It's all fortuitous. Yes, there's gunfire going on all over the round, but it happens all the time. And I know I'm not worried because I'm not a target of it. I'm not involved in criminal activity. I'm not in a gang, I'm not dealing drugs, all those things that law enforcement over the years has traditionally said. Listen, if you're going downtown, you will be safe unless you're down there to deal drugs by drugs, are involved in criminal activity, that's going to get you shot. Right, So that's kind of the attitude you had, I imagined. Yeah, But you mentioned though, how often, how frequently is bullets are whizzing by your window? And I wanted you to put a little more meat on the flesh on the bones of that statement because I asked you off Mike about your husband, military trained veteran who literally jumped on the floor out of fear for his and your own safety when bullets came whizzing by you actually you literally heard them.
Speaker 2: Yes, there was there was this. We were just getting ready for bed that night where I was like, things just feel a little uneasy, and we were home and all of a sudden, I hear this whistling noise. It's like, just like I can't even on.
Speaker 1: Television, yes, Hollywood movie sound effect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm and just very odd and it felt close. And my husband drops to the floor immediately as soon as he hears it, and I was like, oh, I guess that's you know. And I slowly, like an elevator, moved down to the ground, not not having the speed he has. And he's like, those are bullets that whizz But then when you when a bullet whizzes by, that's what it sounds like. And he knew what it sounded like because he's you know, he had been deployed, he had served in two wars and had oddly enough survived that right, only to be killed in his home because of failure of city leadership, and he knew what that was, he knew what it sounded like, and it was a completely foreign sound to me. But that was what engaged that initial just instinct that he had and that he dropped.
Speaker 1: But in your your recounting over the eight years you were there, the experience with hearing, whether it whizzing by you that that close range or just hearing it in the distance kind of was the norm.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean there would be times two o'clock in the morning, I'd wake up, go down, get a cup of water, and would hear four or five gun shots pop off, and you're like, uh, okay, and then you just go back to bed. And talking to anyone who lives in a neighborhood, who that's not the normal. I mean, if they heard that one night or they would have called all of the neighbors would have called the police, they would have what's happened? Who would you know? There would be probably an appropriate reaction to that instead of like, yep, that's the sounds of the city, that's the sounds of the neighborhood I live in, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know the weird thing about this, and I've never really thought about it. Along these lines, you hear about shot spotter technology, which you mentioned earlier. Why would any municipality invest in shot spotter technology unless or if they didn't have a problem with gun violence?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: If you have to measure you.
Speaker 1: Think there's shots spot around Anderson. I'm gonna pick on Anderson again. Do they have it out there? No? Do they have a need for it out there? No?
Speaker 2: So I don't think. Yeah, West, all of those all of those areas. Yeah, I mean, you you put you invest those things are not cheap. You invest in that when you need to. You know, there's they should be collecting data to see like are the policing that you have in that area? Is that reducing? Right? That's a good measurement. Is it actually reducing gunshots? We should probably measure where are the gunshots? Because it's not like an exact location, but we kind of you know, we know that it's in this area.
Speaker 1: It triangulates, yeah, if within a block.
Speaker 2: Any right, right, you know, in order to help because of we're all dissensitized, so we don't call the police when we hear gunshots anymore, you know. Right.
Speaker 1: That's it again, as any other neighborhood where this never happens. Everyone would be calling the cops. You wouldn't need shots botter technology because it's so unusual, it so often happens in downtown. Yes, again based on your personal experience, A you need it be No one's going to be calling the cops because they hear all the time. See, you get desensitized to it. And that's where I wanted to pivot over. I mean because and I mentioned that story again to you off air, when we lived in rather what I will characterize as somewhat dicey problematic neighborhood outside of Chicago. When we were up and we're actually in the city of Chicago. My wife and I middle of the night. I know what a shotgun sounds like because I shoot him all the time, and I'm familiar with guns generally speaking. But I heard distinctively, what was a shotgun blast? My wife wakes up, Oh my god, what was that? And I just calmly looked at our rollovers. A shotgun blast, go back to sleep. It didn't strike me as that unexpected because I knew about all the gang activity that occurred in that area where we lived, So I was like, Okay, what are we gonna get worked up about what can I do about it? It's a shotgun blast, one probably in the middle of night. Probably guy probably ran away. I don't know. I'm not gonna lift my finger about it, do you think? And that sounds me like the attitude that you have. It's like, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I used to call in the beginning, and then I was like, I can't keep it.
Speaker 1: This is a part time when seconds count. Yes, do you think amid the refrains and cries from our city leaders, if I can use the term leosly mayor I have to have provall and others saying that violence is not a problem, that crime is not a problem downtowns and saying do you think they too suffer from this desensitization that we're talking about here, that they're so used to with themselves that they don't perceive regular gunfire going off in any community as a problem.
Speaker 2: I don't think they live downtown, No, there you go. I think they live in neighborhoods where they would call them if they heard gunshots.
Speaker 1: I might recommend a property they can buy so they can relocated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the thing, like we could ask any one of them, are you willing to live in OTR given the circumstances right now, and relocate. I am willing to bet the answers now probably, So if you're not willing to live there, why would you not be willing to live there. It's not because of noise, it's maybe a particular type of noise, but it's because it's not safe.
Speaker 1: Corey Bowman lives in the West End. They got a lot of gunflap going over.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he hears it all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and he's committed to his community making it a better place. Just to say that, Wow, you know their options out there was Move forward to November one more with Sarah Herringer. I really appreciate your time today spending with my listeners and me and talking about this very important is she's and I think opening people's eyes. That's really what your life experience over the last eight years can do for folks and bringing this there his attention so we can make a better place for everyone, which is all you're hoping to get out of this tragedy. Absolutely more with Sarah. It's eight forty five fifty five KRCD Talk station.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRCART.
Speaker 1: Here's your Channel one more time with the CHAN and I weather forecast, and it just doesn't get any better. Because I'm not a fan of high heat and humidity anyway, I gotta deal with it, So do you. Sunny hot human Today ninety degrees to the high ninety four is gonna feel like overnight down to seventy it'll be a humid, clear skies, sunny hot, and even tomorrow ninety two feeling like ninety eight clear skies, overnight muggy and seventy one, and on Sunday the real hot one night eighty three filling like one hundred sunny skies and yes, a lot of humidity. Right now it's seventy five times to the final traffic update Chuck Ingram.
Speaker 4: From the UC UP Transit Center.
Speaker 3: The UC Health Back Neck and Spine Center offers innovative treatments to improve quality of life and convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and northern Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Learn more at uc help dot com.
Speaker 3: North Bend, seventy five's over a twenty five minute delay thanks to an accident before Gallbirth mud Blaine's Block. Traffic backs up close to seventy four. There's a wreck on Montgomery at Kennedy Chuck Ingram on fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: A fifty fifty five KRCD talk station, A bit of an inside jock employees. Have I hurt me? You know, Sarah, that's got through my stack, my listeners got I've mentioned many times at the end of the fridays I had this, it's more than a ream of paperworth of stories that I haven't gotten to, most of which I've gotten through a lot of them, you know, like stories in the news I was talking about this morning that he court hearing yesterday. That's a piece of paper, A couple of pieces of paper, anyway, stack them all up. Came to the end of the week and I just was showing her, you know, the output of my labor, and I said, I bet I didn't get to even half of the stories are in the stack. And she said, don't you have an assistant, Joe, Do I have an assistant other than the executive producer of the fifty five Caressey Morning Show has his own responsibilities and obligations. No, I am on my own stack. Sarah Herringer in studio, of course, widow Patrick Herringer, who stabbed in their apartment talking about I mean again, Patrick's Law, Patrick Herringer Act is going to We are positive it's going to be passed, requiring real time ankle monitoring, so you at least can believe that the system is actually doing something good. So we dressed that early in the program. Now, by way of other changes, I'm sure you paid attention to what have to have of all said by way of some reforms that they've enacted in the wake of the beatdown. Sadly not in the wake of your husband getting murdered. Add that to the list of murders in the city of Cincinnati. Obviously we have a serious gunplay problem, as you've demonstrated through your comments and what you've experienced personally, what so many other residents have experienced. Did anything he offered by way of solutions, like, for example, the curfew give you any sense of comfort, like, Okay, that actually might work. Okay. I like the way what he is saying. It's not going to solve all the problems, but it sounds like a step in the right direction. Or do you, i mean, find fault with his proposals or do you think he was missing out on an opportunity in some way to transform or change the nature of law enforcement. I think.
Speaker 2: I mean, the thing that I'm looking at is what's the expiration date on this, on all of the things that he's putting in this We're not looking for temporary band aids here. We need a long term solution and also not so much reactionary things. Where is the proactive policing? Why aren't they allowing police really to do their job, pull people over, search cars, that's where you find stolen guns. You know that. Why aren't we using the fugitive apprehension to go out I've said it so many times to get the fifty two violent offenders that are a wall in Hamilton County. We have one hundred and fifty that have already popped off their ankle monitors.
Speaker 3: That we know.
Speaker 2: And why aren't we going Why aren't we cleaning up the streets?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and recidive is a problem. And if you've identified the criminal element, they're likely to break the law again, and they do it over and over again. So it's a very small slice of society that's sorting it for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is why I think so many people, you know, when they're looking at these policies, they can't imagine what it's like to think like a criminal. They don't think like one, and so they you know, these programs, even they sound really nice and compassionate and rehabilitative, but that's that's not really the case. We need we need police protection, we need to be proactive, We need to prevent crimes, not just be really great at responding to them. So I think, you know, if I'm going to be critical if some of the things that AFTAB is put into place, it's it's what are we doing to prevent? What are we doing to allow police to really police and do their jobs? What is you know, what are these expiration dates? And then even down to the curfew, it's like, listen, the only kids breaking the curfew are the ones who don't listen to the law to begin with. Yeah, and they're really you know, you look it over. There's even one they're like, we're going to enforce it, except if.
Speaker 1: You're exercising your First.
Speaker 2: Amendment right right and you' and I'm like, freedom of assembly, the constitution, So somebody's going to make a constitutional law. Yeah, And so the the whole thing is like why don't you why don't you enforce laws? Why don't you actually create things that you can legally enforce. And I don't know if the curfew is one of them. And you can't control how parents take care of their children, but you can control how police, you know police.
Speaker 1: True, But let us not let this topic go before we part company today, Sarah, without pointing out that one of the most critical elements of the judicial system and the criminal justice system is having judges who are willing to issue higher bonds, take care concern themselves with the societal concerns, which are you and me out here in the world, and also to uphold that concept of criminal justice punishment without punishment, it's not a deterrence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, that's the hardest consequences, the hardest to fix.
Speaker 1: Beyond fixing the problems that these young people, notably at home, they have terrible home life. They're going to become juvenile criminals and they're going to go on and become adult criminals. It's demonstrably proven. You know, I talk to a sociologists, so that seems to be the biggest problem out there, is the poor home life. But you can solve the judicial problem just bovoteing better judges who promised to be tough on crime. Absolutely, Sarah Heringer, God bless you keep being a voice of logic and reason. It's people like you who are sadly in a position, but are in a position to make changes happen. It looks like we're going to have some good developments in Columbus this fall, and I appreciate Cindy Abrams working with you. Want to get the Patrick Herringer Act through, And I'll ask my listeners to definitely get in touch with their representatives and senators in Columbus and tell them what the hell, let's get this past this time. Don't let it die in the Senate. Sarah, You're always welcome here.
Speaker 2: Thanks thanks for having me real pleasure to.
Speaker 1: Talk with you. Folks. Have you had a great day a great weekend? Tech Fright with Dave had If you didn't get a chance to listen to live podcast at five casey dot com, listen to Dave Rick Green Spara Works Ministries along with a director savant about Rick Green's life story now in movie form. Will be able to stream it after the first of September. But also a positive message and Rick always is offering one, and you know, preceding preceding Sarah Herringer A great thing to have that real positive message here on the fifty five cares Same Morning Show. Thank you Rick, and of course the entire hour here with Sarah can be found on podcasts aty five caresy dot com. Tune in Monday for future counselmen, former counselman and former vice mayor Christopher Smithman votes Smithman, get over to Jim and Jack sign a petition money Monday as well. We'll do that. Have a great weekend and don't go away. Glenn Beck's coming right up.
Speaker 3: President Trump made clear that a peaceful resolution was possible if a.
Speaker 2: Ran agreed to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions.
Speaker 1: Another updates at the top of the hour fifty five cars the talk station.
Speaker 4: This report is sponsored by Miami