Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: In the break, I was listening to President Trump holding I guess you'd say an Oval Office news conference. He he's still got a giant poster next to him with the Southern United States and the Gulf of America printed on the golf Anyway, I don't know why that's still there, other than he's very proud of that move. He did double down on the push for more balanced trade. He ordered today that agencies should investigate plans for new reciprocal tariffs that could boost America's revenue.
Speaker 3: There is a chance it could ignite.
Speaker 2: A global trade war, of course, but stocks went up after the announcement. Traders brushed off the two hotter than expected inflation reports, and in fact, we have seen the Dow Jones Industrial Average jump significantly since the announcement. The Dow is up three hundred and fifty point points right now, both the NASDAC and the S and P five hundred are up just about a percentage point. As this All of this is being played into the trading reciprocal tariffs was one of the things that Trump talked about during the campaign. He wants to even the score with these foreign nations that would place taxes on American goods and solve what he says are unfair trade practices. They're not in effect yet, and as we saw with what happened Mexico and Canada and the tariffs that were threatened with those countries.
Speaker 3: This is a negotiating tactic.
Speaker 2: This is the first salvo and we'll see how it goes before they do get put into place. So that question answer session still going on right now in the Oval Office.
Speaker 3: What else is going on? Time for what's happening?
Speaker 2: I mentioned earlier, just about every corner of the state of California is getting rain today because of the storm that is moving in here in La County, San Bernardino river side, Orange County, San Diego County. We're expecting the hardest rains to come in later this afternoon into this evening. National Weather Service had a pretty wide window when we first got up this morning, they said somewhere between two and ten. Now they're saying they've closed that window just a little bit and just said that between four and nine o'clock in La County. That's when we expect to see the heaviest rains come down. There are evacuation warnings in all of the burn areas that we've seen, not just in the last couple of weeks, but burn areas that go back as far as two years in some cases, because the potential for this rain to come down that fast, that heavy. So this is going to be a pretty touchy, touchy afternoon. Speaking of the fires, a report in the La Times indicates that they may have been so cal Edison's attempt to cut off power that started the Eaton fire.
Speaker 3: Now, Edison had been warned.
Speaker 2: They'd been warned years ago about the risk that a power shutdown would actually overload other transmission lines and then cause potentially dangerous overheating and sparks. According to public records, fixes that some experts would have said mitigated the fire risk were repeatedly delayed. The record show the scheduled work was never completed. Of course, the Eaton fire began January seventh, and at this point Edison has not taken responsibility for it. They say they're still doing investigation to figure out if their power lines were responsible for sparking the fire, but it did spark near an area that does have Edison transmission lines. Ours is not the only bad weather. A winter storm has left tornado damage along the Gulf Coast, piles of snow and the planes in the Midwest, residents now preparing for a new storm moving in through the weekend. The latest storm dropped about eleven inches of snow in Iowa, ten inches in Illinois, another seven and a half inches in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Down on the southern end of the storm, at least two tornadoes reported in all Obama and Mississippi, and they saw gusts nearing about sixty miles an hour.
Speaker 3: We saw the F eighteen, it was an eaaighteaen.
Speaker 2: But the F eighteen that went down in near San Diego yesterday, two crew members are fine. An aircraft carrier was involved in a collision with a cargo ship last night. This one is back in the Mediterranean, but the USS Harry Truman collided with a merchant vessel in the Mediterranean. See no reports of any injuries to any Navy personnel. The carrier was never really in danger, but they said it collided with the Besictas M just before midnight off the coast of Port said no reports of flooding or injuries on the USS Truman. The Navy said the ship's propulsion plants, some of which are nuclear, they said they're safe, They're in a stable condition. They still don't know what caused it. They don't know the circumstances of the collision, who might have been at fault in all of that. We talked at the beginning about ten tariffs right the beginning of this break about what's going on with Terraffs and the Brewers Association, a trade group that represents small breweries in California, is warning that the twenty five percent tariff that Trump is imposing on steel and aluminum imports could hit the craft brewery industry. Brewers need steel for their equipment. Obviously, the giant brewing tanks are steel. They also need the aluminum for their cans, and a lot of these smaller breweries don't have very big profit margins. According to this trade group, the Brewers Association, they're going to get a direct hit from these tariffs and many of them might not stay in business because they simply can't. First of all, the pandemic caused a lot of them to close, and those that survived ran into supply chain issues. They weren't able to get the gear that they needed, so rising prices for a bunch of those materials have been a problem for a while now. With these tariffs, those brewers that were able to survive are not going to be able to withstand the terraffs. They say, between a rock and a hard place. They can't pass the high costs under their customers because the customers will just go buy cheap, crappy beer somewhere else.
Speaker 3: I mean the cheaper beer. It's not the small beer anyway, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Closing arguments expected in the asap Rocky Hollywood a gun assault trial today. The rap artist turned fashion mogul faces a couple of felony counts of assault with the semi automatic firearm two confrontations on the night of November sixth, twenty twenty one with a former buddy of his, asap Relly Terrell Ephron. Their friendship soured over the years because asap Rocky started taking off. Turn of events that culminated in this encounter and charges against asap Rocky. His longtime partner is Rihanna. She showed up at court that made some headlines. That was kind of that was interesting. Remember that time, Remember that time that Aaron Rodgers caught a pass that he threw. There was a moment. He's one of the one of the NFL quarterbacks. Is that there's a handful of them who have I had to throw a pass, it got blocked. They caught it and made it turn it into a touchdown.
Speaker 3: Rogers in trouble. It's gonna get there. They turned thirty two yesterday. There's a half a finish, tidy interview. Then the inside.
Speaker 1: For the wind.
Speaker 2: Richard Rogers for the left off touchdown O came in for the Packers. That was Rogers to Rodgers, but it was Aaron Rodgers to Richard Rodgers. It turns out Aaron Rodgers will not be playing for the Jets next season. Four time MVP, fifth player in NFL history to throw five hundred touchdown passes in the regular season, has one year of non guaranteed money left on his contract with the Jets, and they told him last week, you will not be playing in New York anymore.
Speaker 3: Would you like your Jeopardy question? Let's do our jeopardy question.
Speaker 2: But first I wanted to play this because somebody actually had an interesting question then, Hi, Gary.
Speaker 4: And Shannon, this is Michelle. I love your show. I love the Laby question for you. Or if I would ask if you'd be willing to go head to head with Bill Handle doing the jeopardy because I think both of you guys are very knowledgeable. But I'd wonder who would come out on top. That would be awesome of first Jeopardy Jeopardy show on the K.
Speaker 2: He's got some pretty bizarre, weird knowledge that I've never had in my life. So I don't know about the.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'll take that chance. All right? So roses for four hundred roses. The natural defense mechanism of the rose are commonly called this tea word, though they are technically prickled. That's a really easy question, Cale, I do what the calendar tells me. What is thorn?
Speaker 2: Thorn's yes, all right, tea word. That's kind of that that throws people because it's a th h word is the way they think of it. Thorn is the word. You know what else has thorns? That I found out just the other day, Boginvilia, how do you say that?
Speaker 3: Bogan? Bog and villa is beautiful, beautiful flew.
Speaker 2: Beautiful vining flower plant that comes up. I found out that it has thorns.
Speaker 3: Does I know? I found out the hard way? Oh yeah, did you get hurt?
Speaker 2: I did get hurt buggers? My wife said, of course, of course it has swords. It's Bogan v However, you say, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's Bougainvillia.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 3: I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to correct her when I get home. Jedra says, it's Bougainvillaya whatever it is. Never mind, all right, coming back, we know we have a lot of work to do when it comes to rebuilding from the Eating fire, from the Palisades fire. What can we learn from other recent fires that devastated certain areas of our country.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Think of the devastating fires that we've seen in the last several years, say six seven years. The Tubs fire back in twenty seventeen up in Sonoma County, Lake County, Mendocino County, and the campfire in Paradise up in Butte County, and then the fires on Maui.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: All of these are similar, at least in their scope to the Palisades and Eaten fires, in that we've got thousands of homes, dozens of deaths, and the rebuilding process that faces not just those people who lost their homes, but I mean the entire community, all of La County is going to be impacted by this rebuilding process as it comes. And there've been a couple of different I don't want to use the word autopsy because it makes it sound a little dire, but in lessons perhaps that we can learn from the campfire in Paradise, the Tubs fire in the North Bay area, and the Maui fire in terms of how La County might be able to rebuild. And I think some of the most important lessons are not just for the people involved. It's for the politicians. It's for those people who work at the county level, or the city level, maybe even the state level. Of here are the roadblocks that need to be taken out of people's way. If you want to live by your priority you have said, the rebuilding of the community, the maintenance of the culture of that community is so important.
Speaker 3: There are things that you have to do.
Speaker 2: You politicians have to do to get out of the damn way to allow them to have these things done. And one of the things that I saw just is my opinion, but of all the things that need to be redone in these communities, one example out of the Tubs fire in the Santa Rosa area is that you have to put a priority on rebuilding the schools. In the Tubs fire, they said that there were about eight hundred students, one hundred staff members, and two school board members that lost their homes in those fires, and the impact of the fire on the school community was far reaching. It may be slightly different in the Palisades area because the demographics are slightly different there are fewer kids there, but the damage to the schools is one of those things that needs to be ameliorated first. And the district itself up in Santa Rosa dispatched a bunch of councilors out there to parents and students. Some of them came from other parts of the state to lend a hand that as the councilors did, they stayed on campuses for weeks. One of the things they did was it showed the people in those neighborhoods in the Fountain Head neighborhood and other neighborhoods around Santa Rosa, that the schools themselves play a massive part in stabilizing a community. It's not just education, it's childcare, it's meals, it's the in person connections, not just for the kids, but for the parents seeing other parents from the neighborhood. The ten schools in the Santa Rosa fire were either destroyed or heavily damaged, and what they had to do was they had to relocate some of the kids to satellite campuses, kind of spread them out so that the other campuses could absorb some of the kids. But one of their main priorities was rebuilding or repairing the schools as soon as possible so that those kids had a place to go back to because a lot of these people, even though their homes weren't damaged, they didn't move that far away necessarily. And one of the great things that can help a kid recover from that is they get a chance to be around their friends once again. We come back, we'll talk more about one of the some of the things that politicians can do and prioritize that they've learned from not just the tubs fire, but also that Maui fire in August of twenty twenty three. Gary and Shannon will continue. Oh, Debrah, have a quick message for you, and this is about the bogan va.
Speaker 3: From a nursery man. It's bogan via just for dead. Okay, now you got it. I really screw that one up. That's all right. Listen, you've had a rough fifteen minutes of the brain. I don't know, the weather is just messing up.
Speaker 2: Well, I have full confidence in you. You're gonna nail this one. Yeah, even if it does sound slightly familiar.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: The cabinet continues to flesh itself out. That's weird to say it that way. The Senate has confirmed and now he has been sworn in. RFK Junior is the new Secretary of Health and Human Services. Brooke Rollins was elected or i should say confirmed by the Senate votus seventy two to twenty eight. Brook Rollins will be your new Secretary of Agri Culture. Cash Battel made his way out of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He is advanced to the floor of the Senate for confirmation as FBI Director, and Lynda McMahon, President Trump's choice for Education Secretary, is made her way through the confirmation hearing as her nomination continues to move through the Senate. We're talking about recent fires in the state of California and Hawaii. The Tubs fire from October of twenty seventeen up in the Santa Rosa area, the Campfire November of twenty eighteen in Paradise, and then the Maui fires on the island of Maui in August of twenty twenty three. And the things that we are going to be able to learn from those fires. And again, these are not necessarily lessons for the people whose homes were burned or if you've lost somebody that as a result of that fire. It's more for politicians and those people in charge of what will be the cleanup effort. And I mentioned one of the biggest issues is going to be schools, adding schools back up and running, because it's not just about the education for the kids, it becomes a meeting place for the neighborhood. One of the other issues is and this came from the Sheriff of Sonoma County at the time of the fire. He said, Calm is contagious, and so is the opposite, and even in the face of chaos, it's important to keep your head. Now, there has been some confusion. I'll point to the reopening of pch a couple of weekends ago, where Karen bas said that it was going to reopen, but then it wasn't, and then she changed the date, and then the National Guard came in and they were able to help out to free up some of the LAPD resources.
Speaker 3: That wasn't necessarily well.
Speaker 2: That was confusion, and that was something that's an issue that needs to be ironed out before you go public with that, because the calm is contagious, but so is the chaos if it turns out to be chaotic. We're in a position now where and they've seen it in all of these other fires. The d is over, the emergency itself is over, and we're on the verge of what will be a massive cleanup. I mean, the Tubs fire in Santa Rosa at the time was the largest wildfire cleanup in this history of the state and the largest disaster cleanup since the nineteen oh six earthquake in San Francisco. This one will eclipse that easily. The next phase gets murkier. The next phase is when things start to gum up. It's when the insurance payouts kind of dribble out. It's when the scammers and the price gougers promised these quick turnarounds. Local officials make decisions about what to rebuild first, and then everybody gets impatient and everybody thinks the process is not moving fast enough.
Speaker 3: When you think about just the.
Speaker 2: Removal of the debris from these burn sites, from these neighborhoods that went down, ninety percent of it is going to be gone very quickly.
Speaker 3: Ninety percent of it.
Speaker 2: The biggest stuff, the chimneys that are still standing that are going to have to be knocked down and removed, the big iron structures, whether it's a shed in the backyard or the dishwasher or the washing the big pieces can be moved relatively quickly, so ninety percent of it's gone right away. It's that other ten percent that literally has to be removed by hand in some cases. And then, like we said in a couple hours ago, the six inches of top soil to be removed to try to get most of the contaminants that they can, and that that's when the process really really slows down. Then comes the permitting. One of the things that Rick Caruso had said was he wants to implement AI as part of that permitting process to shrink it down from weeks and in cases months to hours, to make sure that some of these permits get where they need to be approved when they need to be so that people can begin the process of rebuilding. We've seen, if it's the Tubs Fire, campfire, or the malifires, we've seen the timeline for this, and they want to do better now. The Tubs fire in October of twenty seventeen, they were able to rebuild and get some homes back on those properties within about a year. I mean rebuilt within about a year, only a couple, but they know that that process can begin and get finished within a year. The rebuilding of the entire neighborhood took about five years. That was the Tub's fire up in Sonoma County. The campfire is going to be different, simply because of geography. There were eighteen thousand properties that were destroyed by that fire or damaged severely, and some people decided not to go back. The Mali fire very similar, thousands of properties and dealing. I mean, it's got its own sort of intricacies because it's an island in the middle of the Pacific, so getting stuff there is not as easy as.
Speaker 3: It would be, you know, to the Pacific Palisades.
Speaker 2: But the lessons of making sure that calm is contagious, making sure that you get out of the way when it comes to permitting for rebuilding, and putting an emphasis on things like schools and those other places that can define and become the anchors for those communities as they do the rebuilding process.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: The rain will be the top story through the day today and probably into tomorrow. Certain counties have already seen the majority of their heaviest rain. San Luis, Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties have been getting punched in the face in the last couple of hours. We saw a pretty good cell roll through Burbank here just a short time ago and make its way through, But the National Weather Services the heaviest for La County is expected between about four o'clock and nine o'clock this afternoon. A car attack in Munich injured at least twenty eight people, including kids. Today, German anti terrorism officials say an asylum seeker from Afghanistan was arrested for that attack. That is also the site of the Munich Security Conference starts tomorrow. Vice President j d Vance, Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelenski, Secretary of State Marco Rubio are all expected to be there. Well, it's time for some fun stories when it comes to science, but I would say stream science.
Speaker 3: Strange saience. It's like weird science, but strange. I'm a big fan of I'm a big fan of naps.
Speaker 2: And if you've ever wondered about the best time to take a nap and you're a fan of this show, well I got great news for you. The best time to take a nap, acording to researchers, one forty two pm. So you listen to this show, maybe grab a little lunch afterwards, and then call it a day. This very specific time emerged from a new nationwide survey that looked at how we nap, what makes some people better nappers than others. It was done by the Green of the Avocado Mattress people, and they found that most people aim for about a fifty one minute nap, which means if you go to about a one forty two you wake up at two thirty three. The problem is, most sleep researchers say that that is too long of a nap. You nap too long, it's going to leave you feeling worse than before you close your eyes. The study found that NAP's lasting longer than an hour and twenty six minutes, that'd be about thirty five minutes past the perfect length enter what would the researchers would call the danger zone, because if you go about an hour and twenty six minutes, you start to feel groggy, you start to feel disoriented instead of refreshed, and if you're still asleep after that hour and forty four minutes, they said, that's no longer considered a nap. You've actually dripped it off into a full sleep session at that point, and that that could potentially be more detrimental than just a quick forty thirty or forty.
Speaker 3: Minute nap is what they say you should shoot for most days.
Speaker 2: There is a question about whether or not the human body could survive a trip to Mars. On March second, twenty sixteen, Scott Kelly came back in a Soyuz spacecraft traveling at about seventeen thousand miles an hour, and as expected, it warmed up the heat shield so much that a bunch of molten pieces of the heat shield actually flew off. Now the deceleration amounted to about six g's on Scott Kelly and the cosmonauts that were also on board, Mikyle and Sergei, because of course they're named Mikyle and Sergei.
Speaker 3: The search and rescue team come in. They hoist him out.
Speaker 2: Scott Kelly gives him a thumbs up, and then they grimace as they lower him into a recliner because it's just sitting in the middle of nowhere. He lifted a satellite phone to his ear and makes his first call back on Earth. He'd spent more time in space than almost any other person, four missions each longer than the last, totaling five hundred and twenty days almost two years in space, and on this trip he had taken the longest spacelight of any space flight of any American. And he said as he flew longer, the symptoms of returning to Earth got worse, and after he got back home in Houston, he was nauseated. He was dizzy, his joints ached under the force of gravity. Simply sitting in a chair sometimes felt uncomfortable. And the idea of traveling in space is I wouldn't say it's not meant for human beings, but our body is not built for that sort of a thing. Scott Kelly has a twin brother. We know him as Mark Kelly, is the Arizona Senator before this mission. Both of these guys agreed to participate in what they said was a comparative study. Mark was going to stay on Earth the whole time. Scott was going to be on Earth and in space. Because they have the same DNA, it's a rare opportunity for them to figure out what would be the effects, even some psychological effects of long term space missions. So before they before Scott went up on the ISS, they do a bunch of twelve universities eighty researchers. They study them closely than perhaps any other humans in history, and could use, for example, the cognitive testing to show declines in Scott's mental speed and accuracy, the markers of inflammation, and his blood spiked to levels that lab tests had difficulty measuring, thousands of percent above normal suggested an extreme stress response to the space travel. Fewer than seven hundred people, most of them young fit, most of the male, have gone into space. And they said that the number of people going into space in the next couple of decades could grow exponentially because more and more governments, more and more companies SpaceX, Blue Origin, Virgin et cetera. Could propel people into space. But there's a bunch of peculiar effects of space travel that are now only being identified and investigated. For example, latent herpes infections get reactivated, Certain medications become less effective. Microgravity, which is the near weightlessness that you experience in space, redistributes blood to veins in the head and neck that aren't used to handling that flow. That increases the risk of a clot somewhere in your brain or neck. And Scott Kelly wrote a book, and in this book he said humans can explore more of the universe only if they strengthen the weakest links in the chain that makes spaceflight possible. The weakest links in the chain are the human body and the human mind. Right now, the record, by the way, for the longest time in space is held by a Russian cosmonaut a guy named Valerie Polyakov spent about fourteen months in low Earth orbit, relatively protected from the radiation and the communication lags. But only twenty four people have ever exited low Earth orbit, and that was more than fifty years ago for less than two weeks at a time.
Speaker 3: Because those guys, you know, they went to the Moon.
Speaker 2: There is a huge study now going on about whether or not the astronauts soon to be Martians at some point could withstand the six or seven month journey in space that it would take for them to get to Mars, and then once they get to Mars, when they come back, that's another six or seven months the other way. Is there a way to speed that up, they don't know. Is there a way to make it easier on the hum and body, They don't know. Scott Kelly's been telling the doctors about these mysterious medical issues that have come up, and he doesn't know why that's happened. More importantly, perhaps the people who are studying him don't know why they happened. There were changes in Scott Kelly's genetics because of the time he spent in space, about nine thousand genes, some of which might increase the risk of cancer and immune system problems have been altered. They didn't normalize for the most part over the course of a few months, but some continued to show signs of damage, including breaks and even inversions in their DNA. And that's just going into low Earth orbit. Imagine you go completely out of the gravitational pull of the Earth, make your way through space to Mars.
Speaker 3: They don't know if it's possible or not.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll keep an eye on the reins all the evacuation warnings and orders that are out there. The John Cobelt Show is coming up next. If you miss any part of this show, go back and check out the podcast. Anywhere you find your favorite podcast, just type in Gary and Shannon. We'll see you tomorrow. Stay dry.
Speaker 3: Everybody you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap