Speaker 1: Tonight, you're going to come face to face with a serial killer, one of the most prolific serial killers.
Speaker 2: In US history.
Speaker 1: They don't usually talk to reporters, and in the forty five years of sixty minutes, we've never interviewed one until now. Charles Cullen was a critical care nurse who admits to killing up to forty people.
Speaker 2: Some suspect it was a lot more.
Speaker 1: The murders took place over sixteen years in seven different hospitals. There were suspicions at nearly all of them that culin was harming patients, yet none of them passed that information on to subsequent employers. Newspaper headlines called him the Angel of Death. But as you will see, Charles Cullen was no mercy killer. Until we interviewed him a few weeks ago. He'd never spoken publicly about his crimes, never tried to explain why he did it, or even express remorse to the families and victims when he finally faced them in court.
Speaker 3: This monster didn't even know us or our son, but had the audacity to end his life.
Speaker 1: I like to tell you a little bit about my mother that you murdered. You don't even have the guts to look this way, do you, Charles? Why don't you look up that up?
Speaker 4: I like to show you what you did to our children.
Speaker 1: This is their dad and is coughing.
Speaker 5: How do you like that?
Speaker 1: This was the scene seven years ago with the Somerset County Courthouse in New Jersey, as Charles Cullen sat through his sentencing hearing, refusing to speak or even acknowledge the family members of people he had murdered. Even the judge was exasperated.
Speaker 6: Cullen, I asked you a question, why is it that you have chosen not to address the court?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Mister Cullen?
Speaker 1: He's kept that silence behind the walls of the New Jersey State Prison in Trenton, where he is in protective custody, to keep him safe from other inmates. Protecting himself from his own demons has been more difficult. We found out when we sat down across from him in a cramped cubicle separated by a thick layer of glass, to talk about the people he's killed.
Speaker 8: Forty an arbitrary number.
Speaker 7: Forty is an estimate. I gave a number between thirty and forty. I think I have identified you know, most of them.
Speaker 8: Look, you pled guilty to murder. You don't use that word.
Speaker 7: I think that I had a lot of trouble accepting that word for a long time. I accept that that's what it is.
Speaker 8: Do you consider yourself a serial killer?
Speaker 7: I mean, I guess it depends upon a person's definition. If it's more than one in it, it's a pattern, I guess then yes.
Speaker 1: In Cullen's case, all of his victims were patients assigned to hospital units where he worked as a nurse. They ranged an age from twenty one to ninety one. Some were critically ill, others were ready to be discharged when Cullen injected them with drugs that would kill them. It was a pattern that began twenty six years ago. It's a Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, New Jersey, Colin's very first nursing job.
Speaker 7: I worked on the burn unit, So I mean there was a lot of pain, a lot of suffering, and I didn't cope with that as well as I thought I would.
Speaker 1: And that was the first place that she gave so in medication and caused them to die. The patient was John Yengo, a judge from New Jersey who was suffering from a severe case of sunburn until Cullen injected him with a fatal overdose of lightocane.
Speaker 8: Do you remember the person?
Speaker 7: I mean, I remember one, and that's the only person I've been able to identify, But.
Speaker 1: There could have been more. Saint Barnabas didn't know about the patient Culin murdered, but it did suspect him of trying to kill or harm half a dozen other patients by randomly and repeatedly poisoning bags of sailine solutions.
Speaker 6: Someone was spiking ivy bags with insulin in the storeroom.
Speaker 1: Charles Graber a New York writer as well as a former medical student and researcher. He spent seven years investigating Cullin's murders for a new book called The Good Nurse. Graber says a number of patients at Saint Barnabas went into insulin shock and nearly died.
Speaker 6: He was the main suspect for poisoning random bags of saline. He if you talk to the investigators there, they'll tell you Colin was our man. We knew he was dirty. They couldn't prove anything. It's all circumstantial.
Speaker 8: They fire him.
Speaker 5: He moved on.
Speaker 1: When Cullin left the hospital. The insulin overdoses stocked at St.
Speaker 7: Barnabas. They could have had my license investigative and probably revoked at that point in time.
Speaker 8: Should they have? Should they add?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: But instead of ending Charles Cullen's nursing career, Saint Barnabas marked the beginning of a sixteen year killing spree. Cullin would work at eight other hospitals and be suspected of harming patients at six of them, but those suspicions never reached subsequent employers, and Cullen continued to murder patients with virtually impunity. In nineteen ninety three, prosecutors investigated Cullin for murdering ninety one year old Helen Dean. An autopsy tested for nearly one hundred medications, but not the one Cullen used to kill her. A powerful drug called the jockst or Ditch for short. It was Cullin's first weapon of choice.
Speaker 8: Why did you like ditch ditch? You know?
Speaker 7: Was it a very powerful cardiac medication?
Speaker 8: What does it do to someone?
Speaker 7: In small amounts, it slows the heartbreat down. In larger amounts, it can call what's called complete heart block and then the heart is very irregular, and you know it can cause death. It does cause death in large amounts.
Speaker 1: It was also readily available in critical care units, and Cullen figured out ways to conceal his digoxin withdrawals from an automatic drug dispensary system called Pixies, which required nurses to type in the name of the patient and the drug to be administered.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't go in under ditch. I would go under tile and all for another medication that would be in the same drawer. So you know, there was no record of me going in for ditch other than the fact that you know it was in the same drawer.
Speaker 8: How did you choose who you were going to give this medication to.
Speaker 7: It's difficult for me to go back in time and think about what things were running through my mind at the time.
Speaker 8: Was it personal?
Speaker 7: No? No.
Speaker 8: Did you get pleasure out of it? Satisfaction?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 7: I mean I thought that that people weren't suffering anymore, so, in a sense, I thought I was.
Speaker 8: Helping.
Speaker 1: Culin suggested several times that his actions were merciful, but the evidence doesn't support it. Sixty year old Eleanor Stecker an asthma patient was recovering and in no pain when Culin administered a fatal de Jockson overdose. College student Michael Straenko, who suffered from an autoimmune disease, was recovering from what his parents called routine surgery to remove his spleen.
Speaker 10: My heart, it aches for my son, It bleeds.
Speaker 1: For my son.
Speaker 3: We vividly remember Charles Cullen walking into the waiting room. He looked us right in the eye and stated how Michael was gravely ill and people don't make it. And my wife's told Culin, that's enough. You could leave.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We're haunted by the memory of Charles Collin coming to the waiting groom to get our reaction.
Speaker 1: There were people that you caused to die who were not near death and not suffering that much.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: Again, you know, I mean, Michael here isn't to justify you know, what I did to There is no justification. I just think that the only thing I can say is that I felt overwhelmed at the time.
Speaker 11: Can you give us anything, Can you give the families anything, any explanation for how this happened and why this happened?
Speaker 7: Like I said, I can't. I just can't say that it was more or less, you know, felt like I needed to do something and I did, And that's not an answer to anything.
Speaker 1: Charles Cullen was the youngest of eight children and grew up poor on this street in West Orange, New Jersey. Protected by his mother. Cullin was seventeen when she died. He tried to kill himself. He spent six years in the Navy, most of them as a missile technician on a nuclear submarine. He was miserable, felt bullied, tried to kill himself again. After receiving a general discharge, he decided to take up nursing. He got married and started a family, but it all went sour. A messy divorce, custody battles, bankruptcy, heavy drinking, more half hearted suicide attempts, and trips to the psychiatric ward. That was Charles Cullen's state of mind when he was killing people. And on the night he finally confessed to the murders.
Speaker 12: I tried to kill myself throughout my life because I never really liked who I was, said I was worthy of anything.
Speaker 6: It was never about anyone but Charlie Collin. He did what he did because of his own needs, his own compulsions.
Speaker 1: Author Charles Graeber interviewed Colin more than a dozen times for his book, and he remembers seeing words like paranoid, major depression, hostile, passive, aggressive, and anti social on psychiatric reports.
Speaker 6: He sees himself as a victim, and as a victim, he's entitled to lash out in any way. He wants to make things right. If that means killing patients, it just anything justifies his Victimodey.
Speaker 1: You said at one point that you thought it was about power and control.
Speaker 6: What do you mean If the rest of his life was spinning out of control, if he was losing custody, if he was feeling depressed, if his love life was in the toilet, he could poison patience, He could save patients, He could make decisions. He had an arena in which he mattered and where his actions had definite consequence.
Speaker 1: Here you have a person who tried to kill himself at least twenty times, who was in and out of psych wards, and on some occasions walked right out of the psych ward and write into a job as a critical care nurse.
Speaker 6: Right He actually took a call asking him back on shift from a psych ward.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't the hospitals do some background.
Speaker 6: Checks well, partially because they weren't required to, and partially because there was a nursing shortage on Charlie Collen looked good by the end of his career. He was a sixteen year veteran. He had recommendations, and for a hospital to ask too much or say too much became a liability. You can't penalize a nurse for seeking counseling, for seeking treatment, for going to a rehab center successfully, and so because of that, Charlie hid in those shadows.
Speaker 1: When Colin was hired at Saint Luke's University Hospital in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, he'd been fired or forced to resign from five other hospitals, yet none of this was in his file with the state Nursing Board. By his own count, Colin had already murdered eleven people and he would kill at least five more. At Saint Luke's, nurses were suspicious, there were rumors about his past, and Culin was caught red handed stealing lethal drugs, but instead of calling the police, Saint Luke's brought in a lawyer to confront Colin.
Speaker 8: Do you think that they knew what you were doing at Saint Luke's.
Speaker 7: I think that they had a strong suspicion.
Speaker 8: Did you expect to get caught?
Speaker 7: Well, I think you can say I was caught at Saint Parnabus and I was caught at Saint Luke's. There's no reason that I should have been in practicing nurse.
Speaker 8: After that, they offered you some kind of a deal.
Speaker 7: They said, if you resign, we'll give you neutral references, and I decided to go with that.
Speaker 1: What is it about this system and about hospitals that no one went to the police. No one really wanted to find out what was going on.
Speaker 8: They gave you an opportunity to leave.
Speaker 7: I think because it's a matter of worrying about lawsuits. If they pointed out that there was a problem, We're going to be found liable for millions of dollars. So they guess they just saw it was a lot easier to not put themselves in a position of getting sued.
Speaker 1: After Charles Cullen was escorted out the door of Saint Luke's Hospital with no consequences, one of the nurses called a friend that the Pennsylvania State Police with her suspicions.
Speaker 2: And an investigation was begun.
Speaker 1: By then, Cullen had already found another job at the Somerset Medical Center in New Jersey. He would murder another thirteen people there, but it would be his final stop.
Speaker 2: That story when we come back.
Speaker 1: In September two thousand and two, when Charles Cullen was hired as a critical care nurse at New Jersey's Somerset Medical Center. The hospital knew nothing about his dark past, and didn't know that he'd been fired or forced to resign at a half a dozen hospitals, or that he'd been investigated by authorities for harming patients. And there was no reason to suspect that Culin had murdered five patients at his last job.
Speaker 2: He was able to move from.
Speaker 1: Hospital to hospital without so much as a bad reference. Colin would kill another thirteen people at Somerset in thirteen months, and try and kill three more before two detectives, eight bureaucrat and a female nurse finally connected the dots.
Speaker 8: You're under suspicion at Saint Luke's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you went off to Somerset and kept doing exactly the same things, And it looks like to me that you wanted to get caught.
Speaker 8: I don't know. You don't know.
Speaker 7: Because you know you're right. I mean, I continued, but I was also I was also careful. I was also deny any time anybody would have asked me.
Speaker 1: It was the suspicious death of a Roman Catholic priest named Florian Gaull that set in motion the events that would eventually expose Charles Cullen. Reverend gall had died unexpectedly overnight while recovering from pneumonia, and the hospital discovered high levels of the heart drug to Jockson in his blood. It was the second unexplained overdose in two weeks.
Speaker 13: The bloodline were astronomical. They're way higher than you would ever shoot for by using the drug therapeutically.
Speaker 1: Doctor Stephen Marcus is the director of New Jersey's Poison Control Center. He heard about the de Jockson overdoses when a pharmacist at Somerset called his office asking for help with some dosage calculations. The pharmacist also confided that two more patients in the same unit had turned up with abnormally high levels of insulin.
Speaker 2: What's going through your mind?
Speaker 13: My number one, two and three thought was that there was something malicious going on in the institution.
Speaker 1: In July of two thousand and three, Marcus set up an urgent conference call with the hospital's medical director, doctor William Cores, and taped the conversation, in which he told the hospital to notify the authorities, the police matter.
Speaker 14: What we're wrestling with is, you know, throwing the whole institution and the chaos versus responsibility to wintact pace from further harm. And we have been trying to investigate this to get the more information before we made any kind of brush to you know, judgment.
Speaker 11: If there is somebody out there that is purposely doing this to.
Speaker 14: Individuals at your hospital, we have a legal obligation to report this.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: Somerset Medical Center would eventually notify authorities, but it would take the three long months. Do you know how many patients died between those.
Speaker 13: No, I don't know the number, but I do know that there were some patients that died in between them. Five that we know of those, But those five deaths will I'll remember them of the rest of my life.
Speaker 8: Sorry, they didn't have to happen.
Speaker 2: They should have been preventable.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was October before Somerset County Detectives Tim Braun and Daniel Baldwin finally met with hospital officials. They were told about a half a dozen incidents in the critical care unit. No one used the word homicide.
Speaker 15: They had dropped a couple names on us with regards to their own internal investigation that they claimed to have conducted for several months, and they did provide us two names in particular, but did not identify them as any type of suspect or anything like that.
Speaker 8: One of them was Charles Colin.
Speaker 1: Yes, the detectives ran a routine background check on Charles Colin and discovered that he'd been arrested for stalking a female nurse and breaking into her apartment in eastern Pennsylvania. The file there also contained a posted note saying that the Pennsylvania State Police had called just a few weeks earlier asking similar questions. Detective Baldwin called the trooper who made the inquiry and hit Petert.
Speaker 4: After learn speaking with the trooper, he informed me that his agency had conducted an investigation armister Colin with a suspicion that he was murdering patients in Pennsylvania as well, that he was using the joction to murder.
Speaker 8: Patients, and you found this out with making two phone calls. Yes, that was it. Do you think you had your man, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, But the detectives knew that proving it would be difficult. A number of law enforcement agencies had tried and failed.
Speaker 8: How helpful was the hospital in this investigation?
Speaker 15: How helpful was the hospital? They were very helpful by answering court issued subpoenas, and that was the extent of their cooperation.
Speaker 1: When the detectives asked to see computerized records from the automated drug dispensary and the critical care unit, they say the hospital told them that it was impossible because the drug dispensing machine only stored records for thirty days. They learned otherwise from the machines manufacture.
Speaker 2: They lied to you, Yes they did.
Speaker 1: They didn't want to give you records that turned out to be crucial to your investigation.
Speaker 15: Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 8: Do you think they tried to obstruct your investigation?
Speaker 15: They didn't try to help it, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: When the detectives informed Somerset that Charles Cullen was the target of their investigation, the hospital fired him, not for harming patients, for lying on his job application. Did you get the sense at Somerset, for example, that any of your colleagues, any of the nurses, any of the doctors, knew what was going on.
Speaker 7: No, I mean, until you know I was fired, I mean, nobody gave me any indication that anybody was suspicious. I mean, the weird thing about Somerset Hospital was is that they were planning on firing me the night before, so they let me work one more shift knowing that they were going to fire me the next day. So they let me work an additional shift with the suspicion that I had harmed patients, which is kind of bizarre thing to do.
Speaker 8: Did you harm anybody that night?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: With Colin gone and the medical center uncooperative, detectives Brawn and Baldwin decided they needed an ally inside the hospital to help them gather evidence to make their case. They decided to approach Amy Ridgeway, a critical care nurse who worked with Culin on the night shift and was his best friend at the hospital.
Speaker 16: He was always early, always on time, crisp and sat down and was very serious about getting to work.
Speaker 8: Did you consider him to be a good nurse?
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 1: When the detectives first interviewed Ridgeway, she was hostile and upset that Culin had been fired, so they decided to show her the evidence that they had gathered, the Pixis record showing Cullen's drug withdrawals from the dispensary and his real employment history.
Speaker 8: Would you tell her? Do you remember?
Speaker 4: I just told her that he was released from several facilities. There were allegations about him at other facilities for doing similar things that were going on at Somerset Medical Center. Because at that point she realized this couldn't be a coincidence, and she offered to help.
Speaker 16: Yes, Danny pushed this piece of paper across the table to me, and it was the Pixis print outs. And I was devastated. I knew, I knew he was murdering people.
Speaker 3: How did you know that there were so.
Speaker 16: Many withdrawals of lethal medications. There's no reason, no reason except if you want to kill someone.
Speaker 2: Were you angry?
Speaker 16: I was sad for my patients. I was so many things were going through my mind. I was sad I didn't see it. I felt betrayed by my own intuition.
Speaker 1: Amy Ridgway, who later persuaded Colin to do the interview with us, spent days analyzing medical records for the detectives and schooled them on a computerized record system that would help reconstruct Colin's activities on specific days. She recorded phone conversations with Colin and wore a wire at a meeting in this restaurant. The same day, a newspaper article reported that he was being investigated for killing patients.
Speaker 16: I said, I know you're guilty. I know I know you did this, and yet I'm still here. I'll take you down to the station. We'll go together. And he changed his face, just changed.
Speaker 8: And what did he say.
Speaker 16: He said, I want to go down fighting. I want to go down fighting.
Speaker 1: Colin told us he suspected that the police were listening in.
Speaker 7: I knew that Amy had helped the police. I strongly suspected that she was wired when she was asking me those questions. So you know, you know, that didn't stop me having the same opinion of Amy, which is that she's a good nurse, that she's caring nurse, and that she did it because she felt it was the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: He was arrested right after that meeting on what police now admit was mostly circumstantial evidence. What they needed was a confession but Colin refused to say anything, so once again the police turned to Amy Ridgway for help. What did you say to get him to confess?
Speaker 16: I wasn't. I wasn't very honest with him, and there's a part of me I still feel guilty about that. I was manipulating him a bit. I told him. I told him the investigators were also looking at me, and how could he think that I wasn't somehow going to be implicated. I remember saying to him, so, who was your first first victim? And was it a long time ago? Was it recent? And he started to talk. He said it was a long time ago.
Speaker 7: I believe it was with a medication to drop the blood pressure.
Speaker 1: Collins's formal confession with the detectives would last seven hours.
Speaker 6: We'll never know how many people Charlie Collin killed.
Speaker 1: Charles Graber spent seven years investigating the case for his book The Good Nurse.
Speaker 6: It's very difficult going back. There's no paperwork, there are no bodies to e. Zoom Is working over sixteen years in St. Barbabas alone, He later told investigators, ghosting three or four people a week, he didn't always o their outcomes.
Speaker 8: How many do you think I would be.
Speaker 6: I would be very surprised, as would pretty much everyone I've spoken to with any knowledge of this case if it was not in the hundreds, multiple hundreds.
Speaker 8: You've been in here a while nine years. You knew it was wrong? Yes, I did at the time, at the time and later, are you sorry what you did? Yes?
Speaker 7: But like I said, I don't know if I would have stopped.
Speaker 10: Tonight, you're going to hear about the man the FBI is now calling the most prolific serial killer in the history of the United States. His name is Samuel Little, and over the last year and a half, he has confessed to ninety three murders. That's more than were committed by Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer combined.
Speaker 5: No one would have known.
Speaker 10: The scale of Little's crimes if not for a Texas ranger who had a hunch Little had never confessed to anyone about anything, But over the course of seven hundred hours of interviews, ranger James Holland coaxed the seventy nine year old into revealing his life's work. The confessions have enabled investigators across the country to solve dozens of cold cases, but Holland needs help to match up the rest. It's why the Texas Ranger is telling us the story of how he got America's deadliest serial killer to confess. With a swagger that would make John Wayne envious. Texas Ranger James Holland arrived this summer at the California State Prison. He was escorted to the interview room for another round with Samuel Little, the killer who went undetected for nearly half a century. Don't be fooled by his grandfatherly appearance.
Speaker 9: I got a numerous verbs of women in my life.
Speaker 10: Oh, fifty years, ninety three murders in nineteen States from nineteen seventy to two thousand and five. Now near the end of his own life and out of appeals, Little has been spilling his secrets to Ranger Holland over the course of several interviews since May of last year.
Speaker 7: Where did you kill the most?
Speaker 9: Oh, so, that's easy, Florida in California?
Speaker 8: What city did you kill the most? In Miami and Los Angeles?
Speaker 7: And how mad you kill in Los Angeles?
Speaker 8: Los Angeles? Approximately twenty so?
Speaker 5: How did he skip by so long?
Speaker 17: He was so good at what he did? You know, how did you get away with that?
Speaker 8: Sammy? Did the crime?
Speaker 17: Left town?
Speaker 10: The drifter from Ohio prayed upon the fringes of society, prostitutes, drug addic women. He believed the police wouldn't work too hard to find. The ranger says Little was a cunning killer who sized up his victims and his surroundings.
Speaker 17: The first thing I picked up on is how wicked smart he was. This guy smarked, Oh, like genius.
Speaker 5: Yeah, why do you say that?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 17: Well, number one, you know the photographic memory, his memory for details, And we're like, Sammy, tell me what's around her. There's three tombstones over there, there's a Calichi road, drive down a quarter mile. There's a white Baptist church that needs to be whitewashed. Phenomenal.
Speaker 10: For example, Little remembered unusual arches close to the spot where he killed a woman outside of Miami. Sure enough, when Miami detectives investigated, they saw the arches. Little had strangled Miriam Chapman near those arches in nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 5: You never felt like he sent you on some wild goose chase.
Speaker 17: No, nothing he has ever said has been proven to be wrong or false. We've been able to prove up almost everything, mister Little.
Speaker 10: Because of Little's confessions, judges and prosecutors nationwide have been able to close long standing cases.
Speaker 8: What is your plate to the charge of murder?
Speaker 9: Yimy?
Speaker 10: Here was Little, via a video link from his prison in August, pleading guilty to two stranglings in Cincinnati. In just over a year, fifty cold cases that had been dormant for decades have been solved due to the detailed confessions Little provided to the ranger.
Speaker 8: Tell me about.
Speaker 17: North Little Rock, Tell me what that girl looked like?
Speaker 8: Hey booked team, he had a gap twenty.
Speaker 10: Little grows disturbingly animated as he describes how he strangled his victims.
Speaker 17: She fightful life, you know, fightful my pleasure.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So how do you reach a serial killer? How do you get them to talk?
Speaker 17: You avoid the things that normally work for investigators.
Speaker 5: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 17: You avoid things like, you know, remorse, enclosure for the family.
Speaker 5: Because they don't have remorse and they don't care about closure.
Speaker 17: No, it doesn't appeal to them at all. I mean you're asking them to open up their soul to the things that are more intimate to them than anything in life. Why should they do that with you? And that's what you're working for?
Speaker 8: Real friendly? She would laughing, Well, I would.
Speaker 17: Kill with Sammy. There's indications of visualization of when he's thinking about a crime scene. He'll start stroking his face and as he's starting to picture a victim, you'll see him look out and up and you can tell he has this revolving carousel of victims and it's just spinning and he's waiting for it to stop at the one that he wants.
Speaker 2: To talk about.
Speaker 10: Investigators had discovered that little like to sketch. Ranger Holland gave him art supplies, wondering if he might be able to use his remarkable memory to draw his victims. Oh and he has.
Speaker 5: Wow, these are all of his drawings. These are all his They're pretty detailed. Is there one that you looked at and you knew right away? Oh that's there's a.
Speaker 15: Lot of them.
Speaker 17: Really, yeahs As.
Speaker 5: We matched it up, how many is he sketched?
Speaker 8: Here's somewhe around fifty.
Speaker 5: The note on this one's super creepy.
Speaker 17: Sam killed me, but I love him, He writes notes on some of the drawings.
Speaker 5: Tall girl by the Highway, Right girl on the strip joint right left in the woods, nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 17: Right, Yes, and we matched that one up. You have, Yes, that's a New Orleans murder.
Speaker 5: I can't remember the person who checked me out at the hotel this morning. If someone gave me a million dollars to draw face, I couldn't do it. The fact that he can still do.
Speaker 17: This right, He basically takes a photograph in his mind of exactly what he sees as he leaves them.
Speaker 10: A year and a half ago, Ranger Holland had never heard of Samuel Little. Little was rotting away in this prison at the edge of California's Mojave Desert, sentenced to three life terms in twenty fourteen for strangling three women. In court, prosecutors had labeled Little a sexual predator. He denied everything and was defiant to the end, but the FBI noted that Little had somehow skirted charges for violent crimes year after year in state after state, in places where women disappeared, including Texas. That drew the interest of Ranger James Holland, a skilled interviewer who says he's convinced dozens of killers to confess during his career.
Speaker 5: Typically when people want you involved in a case. They want you there because.
Speaker 17: Why Virtually every single case that I ever deal with, there's no DNA evidence, there's no forensics, there's no nothing.
Speaker 10: And there was nothing linking Samuel Little to additional murders, just suspicions. The ranger was intrigued by a cold case in Odessa, Texas. Denise Brothers was a prostitute working on the wrong side of town. Then she went missing in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 8: We looked everywhere.
Speaker 10: Her son, Damien, remembers driving around Odessa with his grandparents looking for her. A month later, Denise Brother's body was found at the back of an abandoned parking lot, dumped in brush.
Speaker 5: Were asked to come down and look at the body. You had to do that, yeah, ol Grean fourteen? That stick sweet?
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 10: For twenty four years, Damien didn't know who killed his mother or why. Ranger Holland learned Denise Brothers had been strangled and did Samuel Little was in West Texas at the time.
Speaker 17: Did Sammy do it? I don't know, but I felt like there was a reasonable probability that.
Speaker 2: He did it.
Speaker 10: To find out if his instinct was right, the ranger went to California last year to interview Little, who had always been hostile to law enforcement.
Speaker 17: Did I believe he was going to confess a complete arrogance on my part? Absolutely, And for the first couple.
Speaker 5: Of minutes it really was going quite poorly. Oh he's raging.
Speaker 10: Oh yes, a Little vented in the interview room for thirty minutes that he had been wrongly depicted as a rapist.
Speaker 17: There was no doubt in my mind that Samuel Little was not a rapist. But I told him he knew it, and I knew it that he was a killer. And he stops and he kind of looks at me for a second. He didn't seem to mind it. And then you could see in his eyes as he's looking away and he falls back as I say the word killer, and that appealed to him. That's how he defines himself.
Speaker 5: As a killer. Yes, was there a moment where you said I've got him.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 17: When he talked about there may be three victims in Texas.
Speaker 10: Three victims, and one of them was in Odessa, Texas.
Speaker 8: All of a sudden we turned to each other, Oh my gosh, he's talking about Odessa, And we grab our files and start going through and backing when he's talking about and verifying.
Speaker 10: And Christy Paulizzolo of the FBI and Angela Williamson of the Department of Justice analyze violent crimes. They were listening to the interview across the hall and had access to the FBI database and the Denise Brothers file.
Speaker 5: You've got the photos of the crime scene in front of you. Did it match up right away?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And he had details. Yes, it hadn't been reported in detail, like what in Denise's case? You remember that she wore a DENTHO.
Speaker 10: The autopsy confirmed Brothers did wear a denture. All the details matched. Samuel Little had killed Denise Brothers. Ranger Holland knew he was on to something big. He schemed to have Little extra dated to Texas for a few months so he could talk to him around the clock and extract more confessions. I would think Texas, with the death penalty, is the last place a killer like Sanley Little.
Speaker 5: Wants to go.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Basically, what I told him was, I can go to the district attorney and I can ask him to take the death penalty all off the table, and I believe that he will do that.
Speaker 10: Which was especially brazen since Ranger Holland had never met the district attorney in Odessa, Bobby Blind.
Speaker 18: And he said, I'd like a letter from you on your letter head saying that you would wave the death penalty. And I said, well, you know, that's a pretty tall order just to do.
Speaker 5: Blindly, So why why did you do it?
Speaker 15: There's a greater good.
Speaker 18: The strange ranger that was calling me from California tell me he had a serial killer. I put my faith in him.
Speaker 10: The next morning, the letter waving the death penalty was in Samuel Little's hands. Last September, the ranger sent a plane to whisk Little to Texas, where he was housed in the Wise County Jail for forty eight straight days. For hours on end, the two men sat in a small room. During that time, Little confessed to sixty five of his murders. The ranger replied Little with pizza and doctor Pepper. To keep the stories flowing.
Speaker 5: People will hear this and go, why were you treating a serial killer?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 17: What do I say to that? I say that we can have one case, or we can have ninety three cases.
Speaker 5: It was in your best interest for him to be comfortable.
Speaker 17: Oh, absolutely, yes, yes, So.
Speaker 5: Why why did he finally confess to you.
Speaker 17: At the end of the day. Yeah, maybe Samon just liked me.
Speaker 10: Today Little is back at the California State Prison. We wanted to interview him on camera, but state law won't allow it, so we asked him to call us. He did, answering our questions for nearly an hour, and we wondered why he decided to confess. Now, are you worried that there might be innocent people in jail for some of your crimes?
Speaker 9: Probably the numerous people who are convicted and sent to present on my head, I see back to help me get somebody out of jail. God, I smile a little bit more on me.
Speaker 10: For most of our call, Little spoke of his victims.
Speaker 9: He was broken, homeless, and they walked right into my fighter wheel.
Speaker 10: It was uncomfortable to listen to his graphic stories. Towards the end of the interview, we asked him to reflect on the depths of his crimes.
Speaker 9: I don't think there's another person that did what I'd like to do. Stop taking only one in the world, and that's that honor. That is a curse.
Speaker 10: With Little's old age, failing health, and to fear that his memory could slip. There is urgency to figure out who and where the rest of his victims are.
Speaker 17: It's kind of like never ending. You have to continue, you have to finish it.
Speaker 10: Ranger Holland's been encouraging little to keep drawing. Three new sketches arrived at the ranger's office just last week, three new faces lasting in the mind of the most prolific serial killer in American history.