Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout Podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, And for this week of July fourteenth, we are continuing with Duster Episode eight, the finale. It was called sixty six Reno Split, and boy was there just every single person motivated by parent, child, loyalty or love, like literally all of yes, yes, I mean.
Speaker 3: That that was the entire Here you go, every is going to ever is going to die or kill someone or do something because of their parent or child.
Speaker 4: Yeah everyone, Yeah, Yeah, that was the motivation.
Speaker 2: Everyone except Billy Weasel and Fed Weasel. That's right, we're we're motivated by this parental concerns.
Speaker 1: But yes, although who knows, we don't know what they're with their backstory, is that's true?
Speaker 4: Maybe they have Yeah, I even.
Speaker 2: Have time to get to that.
Speaker 1: Because the union boss was not motivated by was motivated more by fear of his wife apparently, then yes, that's true. Child, But and yeah, it's hard not to watch this after having heard that it has been canceled or not renewed for the next season. They were busily setting up all sorts of stuff for next season, and honestly, I enjoyed this season a lot. But looking at the stuff they were setting up. Yeah, I don't need to see the Easy has cancer arc. I didn't need to see the Jim's brother is really the mysterious Xavier and he's still alive and he's involved in Watergates somehow.
Speaker 4: Don't need to see that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't even need to meet the guy they called mad Raoul. I am just good. This was an entertaining season of television. I don't need to see Royce try to take over the business. Yeah, I don't need to see Nina being Agent of the Month and everybody loving her now because the bad guys are gone.
Speaker 4: Just we're done here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean they did, they did all that setup of all these things to do in season two, but they didn't leave a lot of like cliffhangers for what had happened in this season, which was good.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, that thing, the Izzy thing, was a cliffhanger, but also you could just pretend that never happened.
Speaker 4: Because you could.
Speaker 2: It was the first we've ever Let's do that, yeah, because I mean it's like, oh, really, this is this is news to me, So I'm just.
Speaker 4: Gonna ye Oh goodness. Yeah, it was. It was a lot and do we really?
Speaker 1: I had I had credulity problems with Jim's dad. Is gonna shoot Genesis just point blank while they're enjoying a cocktail together, right, I mean he was, he had his hand on the gun. I guess he was going to do it, but fortunately did not have to. But that seemed pretty much any other character in this thing I would buy.
Speaker 4: I mean even his wife.
Speaker 1: I could see her coming in there and saying, oh you need her dad, Okay, But I just didn't feel like the dad had it in him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he went soft in this old age.
Speaker 4: It just seems too nice.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you know, nothing personally against Genesis. If she was somebody who had been like, had a part in his son's death, well, which turns out to not have happened, but you know, if he had some gripe but just to do it too, because Sacks killed his son's eye. Yeah, that seemed like a week point in a week's pot plan.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: And also if you're gym and you know your dad was going to kill this person at five o'clock and it's full do you drive over there or do you pick up the dang phone? What the hell is exactly? Oh, I got plenty of time. The old man's probably gonna have another drink before he shoots. Right, it's fine. There's a lot of traffic, but I'm sure it'll be okay. Dang red light.
Speaker 4: I hope this doesn't pause a.
Speaker 2: Problem, right, Just yeah, I mean it was like you said about lost yesterday. You know, Juliet clocked that Jack wouldn't actually, you know, hurt a patient on purpose. And I can see how what was the name Wade, Yeah, the dad would would struggle with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. The whole thing was just that whole shootout. Was it just just a cavalcade of violence? Yes, I mean pretty much everybody is getting killed. And you know, Sax was such a figure in this season. To not have him, I don't know who fills that void in the theoretical next season which never came, which came, but it ain't gonna be Rice.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I did enjoy that they kind of had when everything was going down and he was like was not coming from his nose.
Speaker 4: I'm like, this man is not a crime boss.
Speaker 3: It's like, we'll get him a new heart, right, Like, oh buddy, No, no, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd buy his sister killing him more than i'd buy Wade killing her.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's just I just yeah, no.
Speaker 2: Maybe Keith David was unavailable for maybe next season that he was way apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that the show loses sort of a weight without him. It just would have to be necessarily a little more slapstick and yeah, just.
Speaker 2: Okay, And and then just going back to to Izzy, like when she says he's not just an oncologist, he's my uncologist, Like, well, that's not ethical nor.
Speaker 5: Patience, Like, no, that's not okay, Yeah no, that was that was a ham handed way to give us that information.
Speaker 1: It absolutely was and letely unnecessary. Yeah, totally just just like they're just throwing everything in there at the end and yeah.
Speaker 4: No, thank you.
Speaker 2: Desperate. I mean, if they knew they weren't going to have a season two, then he could have just been like, well, I'm going to peace out to Mexico for a while, but I'll be back, you know at some point when when things cool down, and you wouldn't have to have this whole like, oh, he's got to stay. We got to find a reason for him to stay. So but then they gave him another reason because they gave the whole Oh, your brother's still alive, and Nina is like I need you. And meanwhile, like you said, like three episodes ago, everyone has seen her and knows that she's a federal agent, and now everyone knows that Jim was working with her. So how the two of them are going to do anything? Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just well, but everybody think through your plans dead at this point, so.
Speaker 2: Well, true, I think through your think through your plans before you announce them to the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and uh, just just.
Speaker 1: The way they just kept biling stuff odd and I mean they lost me before they got to Oh, Jim's brother, he's still alive and he's involved in this hole. Yeah, he's like the mastermind in this whole tape and watergate thing. Right, Yeah, you guys stop stop stop?
Speaker 2: Oh well, yes, and I do not the number of next season, yeah, the number of times that tape changed hands.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, for goodness sake, in the end, we're.
Speaker 2: Supposed to believe that it's with the the two Mexican guys. It's going to mad Roouel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, thankfully we will never meet.
Speaker 4: I have not even in the least been interested.
Speaker 1: However, I noticed I don't know, maybe there's a parenting tip in here somewhere. But she's running around like out in the desert, trying to get away from the guy who's.
Speaker 2: Going to kill her with the high heeled boots on.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, First, she's trying to get out of the like the chain from behind her back to the front and she's got like five inch heels that she has to wrestle them over.
Speaker 4: It's like kick off the handcuffs. Can you get the boots off? And it's just.
Speaker 1: Take I guess she can't take them off. She has you know, she's handcuffed y out well, and also that she would then be barefoot or nylon stocking footed.
Speaker 4: But still, this is.
Speaker 1: Why we wear practical footwear when we go into our work as a federal agent, because he may be needing to I don't know, run or but if you're going to wear those when the guy is pursuing, you kick him with them, use them as a weapon. If you're gonna have to be running around in them, you can do some damage with that heel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, agreed.
Speaker 4: I wound up dead anyway.
Speaker 1: That guy was not good at his job in any way. Not only was I was doing something illegal, but also his facial expressions give him away. I mean a one could tell from across the room. Oh yeah, I gotta follow him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's bad news.
Speaker 1: Cleaning lady saw him going through draors, so he's not particularly covert. And you know, he did not get the job done at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: No, sure didn't.
Speaker 1: And I was surprised that Billy just left her out there. Shouldn't he have been like hung around to make sure that the exchange was made.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well he was mad because he I'll just in the desert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because because well it wasn't somebody was coming to Yeah.
Speaker 1: If he had stayed out there with her, he would not have gotten shot in the eye and killed. So I'm just saying, you know, sometimes you want to see the job through yes, of us seeing through you, because there.
Speaker 2: Was there's a hole right through your head.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That that a lot going on there.
Speaker 2: Well, we have to have either a fistfight and or a shootout in every episode.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, So in the end, Nina is a hero. She's cleaned out the bureau.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So we'll just end on that note of success. That's right, which a next season would have had to claw back in some way.
Speaker 2: So she's still underdog, right, but well she's up against Nixon in the next one.
Speaker 4: And also Xavier, who is oh Jim's brother.
Speaker 1: Oh no, after all, the whole season was all about the death of the brother, avenging the death of the brother, figuring out who's to blame for the death of the brother.
Speaker 4: Oh did we say he was dead? No, he's done?
Speaker 2: No, No, no, never mind, Yeah, not that right, Well, are we ready to change venues?
Speaker 1: Do we need to do any more parenting tips or any parenting tips other than.
Speaker 2: Just wear sensible shoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a parenting tip. Parents, tell your daughter those heels. May you may like the way those heels look, but what if you're running through a desert, what if you're having to do like.
Speaker 4: Those are not practical?
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are never a good idea. And uh, just you know, as we mentioned, there was almost all the motivations in this thing where parents protecting kids, kids protecting parents, or avenge avenging parents, And I mean I think Sacks and Jim specifically had discussion about, you know, not putting your kid in danger, and so parenting tip wise, think about the dangers you put your kids in the situations. In our cases, it wouldn't be that sort of danger, but it would be you know, you say the wrong thing to the wrong person, and yeah, definitely the kid is in an awkward space, or you make your kid too much a part of your personal drama and then they found they have to stand up for you, defend you, do things to help you, and that never works out well either. So try to parent in such a way that it doesn't end in a bloody shootout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good advice. Yes, I mean, try to avoid the ridiculous drama in the first place. But then if there is ridiculous drama, don't get the kids involved in it.
Speaker 4: Keep the kids out of it.
Speaker 2: Don't let them stow away in your try of your car when you're meeting with shadowy figures.
Speaker 4: And you know, also.
Speaker 1: Don't let your kid drag you into their drama. Like if your son says, hey, I'm in a fix and somebody might kill me, could you go and kill their kid afterwards? That's necessary, you know, you just want to say no, I have plans. I'm just going to stay home. Just don't avoid the drama if it all possible, avoid creating your own, avoid getting caught up in other people's and teach your child to do the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and agree, I have to just enjoy their day.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, there will be no television if we do.
Speaker 4: That's true, but.
Speaker 2: For real life, it's it's a way to go.
Speaker 1: And also, maybe we've talked here before about if you are if you have a major thing like an illness, how do you talk to your kid about it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Because he maybe could take some lessons in that, and also I don't know about their parentage.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe not so much with the big family.
Speaker 2: Sits right, which always gonna backfire.
Speaker 1: Eventually, season wheel backfire, yes, right, but we don't have to worry about that because this show's gone.
Speaker 4: Good luck y'all. So what are we doing?
Speaker 1: We have a nice uh, nice calm show to watch next. No drama, no skullduggery, no people playing people against other people, well nothing but but romantic fidelity.
Speaker 4: Right, that's what we got next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going back to New York in the eighteen eighties, otherwise known as the opera Wars or the show for Broadway Stars on TV. Yes, it is the Guilded Age. Yes, so this is season three. It's it's been on a couple of weeks behind, but we are. We had to finish dulsturfirst, So we are going to start season three next week with episode one. Speaking of parenting, the title is who is in Charge here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, so probably no shootouts, but.
Speaker 1: A lot of backstabbing for sure, yes, and social and social annihilation mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we'll see you here for that next Wednesday and tomorrow we will be back with our Roundabout Roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcast. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.