Speaker 1: Good morning, and welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program right here on K one. I'm fourteen hundred, FM ninety three point three and FMT ninety five point one. The Green Country Gardener Program with our expert Larry Glass, is brought to you by Green Glum Nursery and Greenhouses United, Reynolds, Kelly Banks, Tree Service, Roman's Outdoor Power, Accent, Pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, Jane Phillips, and Gateway First Bank.
Speaker 2: And good morning, Welcome to Green Country Gardener on this Saturday morning. I'm Nathan Thompson in with our gardening expert Larry Glass.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Larry, Good morning. How are you today?
Speaker 2: Oh I'm great man, I'm doing good. It's a little chilly in here. I know it's hot outside.
Speaker 3: We're just talking about I'm looking at the thermometer on the wall. Seventy five. Yeah, and it seems cold. It's Sunday, it's going to be seventy two, exactly. I have to get out the flannels.
Speaker 2: Well, we certainly do need the cooler weather as we get into our fall planting. Now, this is the last official day of summer and the actual fall begins tomorrow. But and you know, It certainly has felt like the last day.
Speaker 3: Of forty eight hour transition period.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You know, I think this is probably the most on time that Mother Nature has been to make the change for our seasons around here. Crazy, it really is. Well, if you have any questions for Larry about fall gardening, you can give us a call here.
Speaker 3: It's a lot out there, milk with all the solder telephone that's right.
Speaker 2: Till free one eight hundred and seven nine three six seven four nine five nine three six for your calls about gardening, Larry. Lots of things going on.
Speaker 3: Hey, this is a transition between the summer and fall. And in response to that, we have a significant quantity of chrysanthemums at the nursery. And these are rather large ones. And somebody came yesterday they couldn't get them all hardly into their car.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: So anyway, there's some of them are just bigger around as a bushel basket. Some we have some small ones too, So they're open right now that they're getting ready to bloom. They respond to the day of the length day, the length of the Hello, little tongue tied this morning. Allergies are a problem to anyway, they're responding to the shortening of the length of the day by blooming. And I noticed that the mom's out in people's yards are doing the same thing, so uh, it's time. Also, we have a flowering Kale's interesting plant. It looks kind of nondescripting green right now, but when it when it gets cooler, when it gets found in the fifties and fifties and forties at night, they changed color. It's rather significant color too. And I like to compose them with with pansies by the front door someplace where where you see it a lot. But anyway, so Kayler out too. Pansies are are out also. We have we've sold love pansies so far and we have about ten thousand square feet of pansies my goodness coming up in the back in the greenhouses too for the next generation coming on. So it's a funny thing though. This week the power went out, yes, oh boy, and you know how to get in the greenhouse. Oh yeah, we had generators going and all that. Then it popped back on so we were okay. So that was scary too.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: It's tens and thousands of pancies out there and that's that's a lot of a lot of Yeah, you can't get replacement plants at this point too.
Speaker 2: They're all right, so right, well it's it's certainly been up and down, uh with the weather here recently, and obviously.
Speaker 3: Up and heat down with rain.
Speaker 2: Yes, totally. Let's hold fingers crossed.
Speaker 3: That was nice as the little rain we had yesterday was.
Speaker 2: It was nice. We have war coming on the way tomorrow. Probably don't bom me, don't kill the messenger.
Speaker 3: What do I need to do to prepare my ground for the panzins? Well, first of all, you you probably need to sharpen your shovel right now, because I know that from experience, the ground as hard as a rock, So it does need to be prepared. So if you can, as much as possible, do some degree of ground preparation before planting your fall blooming plants. So now the opportunity is good for that right now. If if you don't get to it till say Monday or Tuesday, it is fine. We're gonna have some rain. It'll help, yes, break up the soil. And if you can possibly get out there and break it up before the rain, the water will go deeper into the ground before it runs down the street.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: So by increasing the breaking up the soil, it penetrates deeper and you get better water storage that way too. So time to get the shovel out and maybe grind a point on it and put on some good heavy shoes so you can jump on it.
Speaker 2: You go, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was swinging a pic this week, just crazy trying to get that ground blsted on a project. Man, it's just awful.
Speaker 2: It is awful.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I can't wait to get ready. We can get back, get back on our schedule. We're so far behind in our schedule simply because you just can't work so many hours during the heat. So it slowed us down an awful lot. So get the beds ready. The ground is warm, the air will be cool. Some time is prying for fall punting. Remember to prepare the soil once again, add composts and or fertilizer and water it in real Well, if you get the water levels up before you plant your your pansies or your kale, they'll they'll do a lot better. I told somebody yesterday, Well you just need to dig a bigger hole and maybe plant it in some mud. You know, get some some moisture in there, get some wetness in there, and the interface between the pot. If you take a plant out of a out of a pot, you see a lot of rits along the edge and that tends to form somewhat of a barrier between the soil and the root ball itself. So if you rough it up a little bit and maybe plant it in some significantly wet soil, kind of pack it in a little not too tight, but you know, just kind of back fill it with some good wet soil, they'll do a lot better. You really don't ever want to plant anything in dry soil.
Speaker 2: It's very true.
Speaker 3: Dry good, good about three hours your plant we go.
Speaker 2: Needs those nutrients in a good moi soil to really help it take on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a diffusion, it's a simple term for it. The water just gets drawn out of the plant and it it suffers a lot. So you want to make sure that you have a significant amount of moisture in this soil prior to planting, as well as a maintenance of moisture sure as you go along too. Other words, go to the garage and push the button.
Speaker 2: Let's see, I I don't I have the old bag. Actually go to the spickett and turn on my soaker. I have a soaker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a soaker in my I use my my phone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, see yeah, well I'm old fashioned.
Speaker 3: I guess a lot of my customers do that too. They just love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh it looks a little right.
Speaker 2: I just have to walk outside it comes up. Yeah, okay, yeah, I just I don't have like an irrigation system for for my yard, for my lawn. But I know you could. I know you could. There's a lot of things that need to be fixed. In my heart. It's been, but it's I've noticed. It's it's time for me to make the change because I I planted very simply some petunias and they're still doing well. Believe it or not, my petunias are still doing very well. My dahlia not so much. Dahlia has given up the ghost.
Speaker 3: It's a little a little too hot here for them, and in the heat of the summer they do pretty well. We had them up and when I lived in Chicago, we had them, and even in Georgia when we were there. It's cooler there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Here, big beautiful blooms, especially up up North are absolutely perfect.
Speaker 2: Massive. Yeah. I think the biggest bloom I got on on was maybe the size of a chocolate chip cookie. That's all I was able to get out this year.
Speaker 3: I'm telling well, it does really well. Here a Harley High Biscuits. They had the flowers that are dinner plate and we've had good luck with those in people's landscapes and and uh some others and salvias and whatnot. They did pretty well. Yeah, and roses Sharon's shruged. It does very well. So there are some flats they'll do well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My parents actually have rows of Sharon in their garden and it's just extremely well.
Speaker 3: They're a little messy, but they are okay.
Speaker 2: They are. That's really messy for me right now is my stupid pecan tree? Yeah, webworm, I have webworm. Yes, it's been awful and now I have little tiny I guess it's bark. I don't know about sand size it is. If I park my car under my pecan tree, I get little black specks that are coming off of the tree and then it's they're sticky, So I don't know.
Speaker 3: What those are. Worms up there, the tank caterpillars they eat the leaves, okay, and what's going your car is what it's called frats Okay. Yeah, so I have a very kind word for what it really is.
Speaker 2: So worms believing themselves on my car. That's great. Okay, it's time for our first break here, our Green Country Guard over a two minute break. We'll be back with a hopefully no warm poop after this break.
Speaker 4: The employees at United Rentals our local folk who work, play, go to church, and send their kids to school in Bartlesville and the surrounding area. But United Rentals also has corporate buying power which gives them power and leverage to get you the best deal on equipment. You need to get your job done right and with twenty four hours service, there's always someone from United Rentels to help you. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five United Rentals.
Speaker 5: This is Kat Humnton from Gateway First Bank in Bartlesville. Exciting news. Our city rates are hotter than ever. Right now you can lock in a fantastic four point eighty five percent apy on a seventh month cit Yes you heard that right, four point eighty five percent annual percentage. Yell for seven months ready to grow your savings. Apply online at Gateway First dot com or visit us at our article branch located at four to two to two South Deuley Avenue. We're here to help you secure a brighter financial future. Some restrictions apply. A five hundred minimum balance is required and this offers are available for a new ZD deposits only Gateway First Bank number FDICE.
Speaker 6: If you like plants, if you like working outside, Green Thumb Nursery is looking for workers to work full time retail stopped by Green Thumb. To apply in person, you must be able to work either Saturday or Sunday each week. That's Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses forty six oh five No Wetter Road in Bartlesville, and Green Thumb Nursery has new shipments of mums and pansies just in time for fall planting. That's Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses on the water Road.
Speaker 2: Sorry Way Honda Highway seventy five South in Barbelesville. Evan far Bach with Josh Maddeneyen Josh School started up and twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: Fives are on the lot at Skyway Honda.
Speaker 3: I've got a whole lot full of twenty twenty fives that get good interest rates on them.
Speaker 7: There's some deals. Come check them.
Speaker 4: Out south side of Bartlesville under the giant American plang on Highway seventy five Skyway Honda.
Speaker 7: But you get the best deal without the ordeal.
Speaker 2: You may be hearing it on through the grapevine. It is still a green Country gardener here on K one and KGGF. I'm Nathan Thompson, along with our guarding expert Larry Glass. Phones are open right now. Lines are open for calls toll free one eight hundred seven five nine three six Larry, what should we be doing in the garden right now?
Speaker 3: We're getting ready to have a rather busy time in the garden. Actually, yeah, despite all the stuff that falls out of the sky. Anyway, if you had time to plant trees, and you've got to consider several factors and climbing a tree, do you want something that's gonna drip stuff all over your car?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: I did not make that choice. A tree, all right. It's an old tree. So we were just talking about it. Seventy five foots so obviously somebody way long ago decide to plant that. But I'm paying the consequences.
Speaker 3: Now, factoris you have to consider our utilities. Where's the water line coming into the house, where's the sewer line going out of the house, where's the veried electric line, all these other things. So you want to have that located if you will, before you do that. We're going into a project two weeks ago and I called for the utility companies to come out. The gas company was there the next day, but it took a week and a half for the others to get out there. And I think it's because all the construction we have down on there. But anyway, so nowhere all your utilities are also look at your drainage patterns too. When you have planted tree in the ground, its root mass will tend to swell the ground up a little bit. And I see that more often than not. Actually, even though it's a deep rooted tree, we don't have deep soil there for the most part, and that the mass of the root will actually swell the ground up and call some problems with drainage if you have a critical drainage issue. I know a lot of people in town do have rather critical drainage patterns in the yard. Critical meaning it's just enough to let the water out when it rains, and if you get that backed up and it swell, you're going to have some pooling and potential water in the house in some cases. So you want to make sure that the it's out of drainage patterns, out of utility right aways and stuff. And it probably gives you an area about the size of this headphones I plat the tree. Also consider on a planetal tree, some of them can be kind of messy, yes I'll say sweet gums or something. Yes, they're a mess and some others the Bradford parents are a little messy, you know, once and once a year or so they kind of fall apart in storms. So consider what the what the tree is going to do. And there are several species of trees that are what we call dioecious, meaning male and female on the same or on separate plants. So for instance, a Chinese pistache is a pretty popular tree and it's it's dioecious and the males are very clean and tidy, where the females are just messy.
Speaker 2: On that open up that one.
Speaker 3: So you want to make sure not the plant very female. A tree of any kind of InKo tree or a pistache near a swimming pool or something like that. It's just another mess clean up after, so keep that in mind. Also, what is this tree going to do as far as dumping stuff on the ground is concerned. So and also when you plant a tree you wanted to work for, you also know the words, well, golly, what what? Why am I planting this thing? A lot of people like to shade their house in the afternoon. You can safe some on the air conditioning bills quite a bit if the western part of the house is shielded somewhat, so that helps too. And and aesthetics very important. Fall colored people are really really after this fall colored and looking at the trees, fall color is probably gonna bomb house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think we have it.
Speaker 3: We do get some good rain coming up. I think the trees will recover a little bit and we'll have a good, good fall color coming into middle October. It's just not that far away.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, it's really not right. I've seen a lot of dead looking thieves.
Speaker 3: I know my trees in the front yard. I personally, I live on Mars and I've been watering just enough to water the trees. The grass will come back but I don't want to lose my trees. It will cost me more money to have them taken down for the water. So I traditionally when it dries up like this, I prioritize the water on basically just to keep the trees going. So yeah, So if you're if you're maple trees for instance, are looking pretty good shape, and the leaves are you know, nice and flat, I'm not hanging down and the breeze and all that, chances are you'll have some pretty good fall color on them. But if your ground is really dry and you know, you can look down there and see the lava, all the all the foundations of the building and Sydney, Australia, big huge, if you have that, then the chances are you won't have much of any good fall color at all, even a pistache or something like that. I just really want to perform that. Well, yeah, because they're kind of going into sleep mode right now, and they.
Speaker 2: Just that's so unfortunate that we we've had such a I mean we started off pretty well, I mean we had the drought obviously last year, and then this year we started out pretty good so far, but here we are back in that pattern until tomorrow. Anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a cycle. It's a ten year cycle, so it'll it'll go back to normal next year of the year after start getting a little bit more normal. But anyway, so fall color is an important factor, and there are a lot of trees that really have good fall color. The maples are the prime choice for that, and the Chinese pistache also is another one that has excellent fall color.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So okay, also time to plant some shrubs to in the landscape. Bernie bush is a good one, okay. Bernie bush has excellent fall color. Yeah, and it's it's a member of the want of his family, so you know it's tough and this one. I have several forms of Bernie bush. I've allowed them other than to rather large, one of which I had to cut back this winter because it's too large. Ice cream truck going down.
Speaker 2: There, driven by our own Dave Woodell having an ice cream truck right to our studio.
Speaker 3: Anyway, the burning bush has an excellent fall color, very reliable too, So it's a good one to have in the landscape and you can do anything with them. I have some in tree for them, and some of them shrubs about this hall, so you can do a lot of things for them. They're pretty tough plants too, so and and you know, barxwoods can be planted right now. And Nandina's seen plant them anytime. They don't care, they just they just sort of hang out and do very well good. So there's a lot of things you can be planted in this timeframe, in between the first and of October in the middle of November, it's a good time for landscape installations. That's right.
Speaker 2: That's one of my plans that I will be doing as well. Well, we'll go back on some of the other things that we should be doing in the garden. Right now, we're up on our next two minute break, Larry, so we will be back after that talking about what else we should be doing in the garden and talk about how to handle our lawns. You're listening to Green Country Gardener here on K one and KGGF bback after this two minute break.
Speaker 7: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard? Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 9: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 7: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number.
Speaker 10: It's nine one eight day three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 9: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 10: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 4: Remember when your mom puts you to bed, and right before she touched you in, she'd say, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite. And as little kids, we thought that was funny. Well, if you've ever had bed bugs, you'll know it's not funny. An Accent Pest Control knows that bet bugs are real. They're tiny, round, brown insects, and they're a nightmare to deal with bed bugs. Tree quite Aisance, I can stow away in luggage and end up investing your home. If you think you might have call Accent Pest Control nine one eight three three six fifty nine forty two and schedule an inspection.
Speaker 6: If you like plants, if you like working outside, Green Thumb Nursery is looking for workers to work full time retail stop by Green Thumb. To apply in person, you must be able to work either Saturday or Sunday each week. That's Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses forty six oh five No Wetter Road in Bartlesville. And Green Thumb Nursery has new shipments of mums and pansies just in time for fall planting. That's Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses on the Water Road.
Speaker 5: This is Kat Humner from Gateway First Bank in Bartlesville. Exciting news. I CD rates are hotter than ever. Right now you can log in a fantastic four point eighty five percent APY on a seventh month CD. Yes you heard that right, four point eighty five percent annual percentage. You'll for seven months ready to grow your savings. Apply online Gatewayfirst dot com or visit us at our Bartibole branch located at four two two South Dewey Avenue. We're here to help you secure a brighter financial future. Some restrictions apply. A five hundred minimum balance is required and this offer is are available for a UCD deposits only Gateway First Bank number FD.
Speaker 11: I see here we go.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a river bank there for you on this Saturday morning. Nathan Thompson here with Larry Glass for our Green Country Gardener program lines are open and give us a call toll free one eight hundred seven five nine six seven four nine five nine three six. Larry, we were talking about what we should be doing in the garden right now. We're talking about planting trees and shrubs.
Speaker 3: Also one thing iris. A lot of people have a lot of iris plants in the yard and I have some of my r This last year they just went crazy. They iris sod so I needed divie them. There's an area just north of the house where nobody goes, and the iris that do very well there. It's a groundcover actually, and then they bloom pretty in the spring. What I have or twice blooming iris, and they did bloom, but they didn't bloom this summer. Maybe they're just waiting for anyway, So it's time to divide those iris. And they're kind of an old fashioned thing. I remember my grandmother was really into her iris and it was quite a clutter event with the tea and cookies. You know, they have everybody over to look at the iris.
Speaker 2: So of course, of.
Speaker 3: Course, anyway, so's time for that. Also time for the last time to fertilize those roses. They're going to have a growth spurt between October and November and early end of this December. Hard to believe that's close, but anyway, they're going to.
Speaker 4: Have a.
Speaker 3: Bit of a flush, if you will, for a while. So you want to capitalize on that a little bit and maybe give them just a little bit of fertilizer. A fertilizer and moms also your existing mums. They're setting their blooms right now. See, you'd be very careful not to put too much fertilizer on them. So if they're really healthy and doing well, I wouldnt worry about it. But if they're kind of sickly looking, you might want to let it rain on them. Yes, yes, you guys are so confident. That's going to say.
Speaker 2: They're pretty confident. We're going to see some rain tomorrow and into the overnight hours.
Speaker 3: Months and other perennials at this time are kind of a winter preparation sort of thing going on too, So it's a little bit of fertilized one fertilizer trees and larger shrubs. Using a tree or a shrub fertilizer, be sure to follow the instructions and remember fertilizer diffuses into the soil, you put it on the ground, you figure, well it just goes magically somehow it gets down in there or it needs to be. But it uses the process of diffusion. So I wouldn't fertilize my shrubs and trees till after the rain. And hopefully you guys are going to let some rain come in later on the week which will help just all the grounds. So if you, if I might seeing kind of silly out there watering your your shrubs and trees after it rains. But if you fertilize you and it doesn't rain, you need to water it in so it does get down where where it needs to be, Okay, So kind to fertilize your trees, shrubs and roads and so uh yeah, I mentioned earlier about your moms. Don't fertilize your moms or other perennials at this time. They're getting ready for winter preps. You really don't want to spur on a lot of growth fresh growth on your on your existing perennials because they're getting ready for winter. So two, I also your your trees could probably use some fertilizer too. Here also, I know or soil here is you know, kind of pour so you want to do that, and there's several ways to do that. Consider the drip line. The drip line is a point furthest away from from the tree canopy out of that's typically that's where the feeder roots are. So you want to get your spread around. Just put some fertilizer in it and a ring around that area and watered in real good, and it'll do the tree some good. Yeah, they know a little bit better. They're going to go to torment here. Yeah, And that's really governed by the length of day primarily, So you want to fertilize them. They're ready to go also, and once again in the spring too, wouldn't hurt. Be sure also to have two inches of mulch on your azaleas for the winter. A lot of people forget about their z alias and there's no mulch on them, and we're at the far northern reach of them here actually for most of them, and they get a lot of dye off on them, sure, merely because they were too dry and not multi enough. This is if there's any plant that is not well suited for this area, that's his alias. But people still plant them, yes, of course in specific sites. But the preparation for the zlious is very important. Also, the maintenance is very important. And if those roots there's kind of shallow rooted because too cold, too dry on them, it has a new to be impact on the plant. So we have to maintain a layer of multi on your Xelious and also be sure they don't they're not allowed to get too dry because they're just not capable. If you're examined, the riot system of an azilious very fibrous, and they just don't have the water storage capacity that a lot of other plants might have. They turnips, which do well here by the way, of course, So anyway, so make sure you have a two inches at least a two inch layer of mult on your Zealious for the winter, and that holds true for a lot of things too, for heartiness. Also in the winter it's been a long winter, nobody just wanted to be out. Nobody's wanting to go out and work in the yard when it is hot and the mulch decomposes and it's a good building material for squirrels and birds, so it just kind of goes away a little bit. So you want to add some mults to that, so heavy layer Emich is very important for your shrubs.
Speaker 2: For all shrubs, including including those.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Nandina's even also and so on. So okay, good to know. Also pre emergent herbicides uh in the in your lawn. You want to do that right soon. It's been kind of hot and the little seeds have I don't seen the sprouting in my yard.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe I'm trying to weeds. It's funny you say that. I saw my neighbor out mowing the other day. I was like, what are you doing? So I got just mowing the mowing the dirt. Yeah, I'm like, okay, Well.
Speaker 3: The good thing is, uh, I guess when they built the house they had to dig the ground out to put in the sidewalks. There's about a one foot margin, that's all. I had the boat right there. You go, there's actually soil down there.
Speaker 2: That's right. That's right.
Speaker 3: So anyway, so that was it took me five minutes to cut the rest last week.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: So anyway, pre emergent over side will stop a whole lot of the handbit and chick weed that comes up. You know those weeds that come up in the spring. They have a kind of a small scalop leave and these purple flowers that come up, yes, and which is I guess kind of pretty.
Speaker 2: Hey, it looked well in my yard.
Speaker 3: You washing away, So anyway, if you don't want those the time to do that right now, and you want to be sure to water it before and after so it gets down there where it needs to be to do its work. Okay, Golly, I'll be aware of a lot of boar activity in the fall and the crap myrtles this year. Golly of the crap myrtles. Scale insect really really bad. I was at als yesterday and it's just covered in them. And uh, the amid a cloprin works pretty well, I think when looking at it, I think a lot of the damage has already been done, so they're kind of kind of sleeping right now. But it's a good I did to be proactive on that and do something about that. And the metaphilprid it's a systemic nicotinoid and sexicide that does very well to control the population of scale insects, and you have to be persistent with it too. I don't know if it'll last the entire timeframe about a year. It's supposed to create marbles, but you might have to apply it later on again in June. But it's a good idea to some be proactive with it and get some pay emerges down there so it'll stop the proliferation of these scale insects.
Speaker 2: Always something to do in the garden, right, Always something to do? All right, Well, we have something to do right now, and that's take our next two minute break here on K one n k GGF on our Green Country Gardener program. We'll be back with more after this two minute break. What happens when a healthcare system truly listens.
Speaker 5: Healing happens, hope happens, Good health happens at ascension. We know because we listen to you to better understand you. Then our network of doctors, nurses and care teams at Saint John deliver a personalized healthcare experience that's right for you and your family. Find the care you need at St. Johnhealthsystem dot com.
Speaker 12: Jane Phillips and Bartlesville Hi Mike Maddics from Romans Outdoor Power, Let nothing stand between you and the tree. Stand with a fast, durable Cabota s Eydekick, featuring a gas powered engine that delivers top speed of forty miles an hour, best in class acceleration and handling with cargo, and the shrink to Haulwalknetolic call back by a two year, one thousand hour warning gets zero percent for thirty six months or one point nine to nine for forty eight now through nine thirty twenty twenty four. See us or go to Caboda USA dot com for more information. Get ready for a hunting season with a Cabota sidekick, Roman's Outdoor Power your local Cobota dealer Highway seventy five in Bartlesville, Independence or online at Okikobota dot com.
Speaker 5: Over ninety two one eighty over one eleven, I had a heart attack and a cardiac arrest and then a stroke.
Speaker 13: Your blood pressure numbers could change your life. Lowering your high blood pressure could save you from a heart attacker stroke. If you've stopped your treatment plan, restart it or talk to your doctor about creating one that works better for you. Start taking the right steps and manage your VP dot.
Speaker 3: Org now trying to get better short Go than ever.
Speaker 13: Brought you by the American Heart Association, American Medical Association, and the AD Council.
Speaker 8: When a student lacked basic needs like food, clothing and learning materials. Attending school can be a challenge.
Speaker 7: And that can make it impossible to thrive.
Speaker 8: At Communities in Schools. We address this issue by ensuring that students have everything they need to re engage in learning.
Speaker 4: Access to technology and school supplies, and even emotional support. By bringing communities of support to students, we are achieving equitable learning conditions.
Speaker 8: And that's what Communities in Schools is all about.
Speaker 3: Learn more at Communities in school Wolves dot org.
Speaker 5: Lax with the dream Artigan.
Speaker 2: Well, we're not heading to l a X today, but we are having a party in the USA here on Green Country Garden, Jos Larry Glass here. We were talking a little bit about lawns just a second ago, Larry, and you're talking about bores as well, those worms and all that good stuff. So what should we be doing in our lawns in the.
Speaker 3: Garden right now? One more? One more? Yes, I'm sorry, that's in the garden and that's a cabbage worms.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: On coal crops okay and ornamental kale. There is the basillas thorne genesis is very effective on that bt bt okay. First, well, well there's another one called spindad. It's very effective also, and both of these are organics and they're very effective actually, and controlling pests on your your fall crops of spinach and cabbage and tale and let us and some one just kind of wash it off and he doesn't hurt people. But it's good stuff to kill booms anyway. On your lawns. It's time to getting time to install that fescue seed, but time's running out, so if you haven't gotten a soil test, well, you might want to just give it a try. And a deep pilling with lots of composts will make your efforts more successful. In other words, you just don't want to scatter it on the ground because the ground right now is kind of like a super highway.
Speaker 2: It's very true.
Speaker 3: I forty in my backyard, it's really hard, so you won't have very good luck be feeding the birds and whatnot. So we do have some rain coming in and it'll help loosen up the soil. You might want to consider irrigating before you do that, you get some moisture levels up in the ground, so they will grass seas will take root before the fall rains come and wash it all down the hill. Yeah, so it's very important to at least rough up the soil somewhat to get some kind of integration of the seed into the soil and kind of lee. If the ground's really hard, it just will will.
Speaker 2: Not the seed, No, not at all.
Speaker 3: So if you have a fairly good size yard, you might consider parceling it out into sections. We have a fairly long time frame right now, then we can do the rescue seed, say to the middle of October. It would be the latest time you can do it. So that's two weeks, three weeks away, right, get on the ball exactly, exactly. Actually, the last of August is a good time to start on that. So there's about a two month window of opportunity for that installation of fescue seed. But preparation, like anything else, is very important. I mean, you don't plant the bean seeds on bare, hard dirt, same kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So how deep should somebody till?
Speaker 3: Well, I would go at least two inches two inches the very least. Typically below that the crust and the soil, it's not as bad. And if your if your tiller is really fighting with you, you might you might well consider some solil amendment. It can be in the form of composed or pete moths or decomposed. Uh saw this I say decomposed because saw this as as the battery break down the cellulas and saw this. It absorbs nitrogen and that's important, Yeah, rogen and then will grow.
Speaker 2: Yes, you got to have that.
Speaker 3: So any decomposed material like that. So so try not to just do too much at one time. You might not might you might prioritize your areas and work outwards from that a little bit, just so you can have some good success. Because I know people, uh, they get tired of doing all that work. It's a lot of times just a matter of ours. This is too much work forgeted. So if you really want to get serious about it, either hire it done or or go ahead and bite the bullet and get your tailler out there and there go after it.
Speaker 14: Yea.
Speaker 2: I used to have a lot of fun on a tiller. I did as a kid. My my my grandfather was was a vegetable gardener. He had a huge garden in his backyard. And obviously every time we go into prepare it, we get out there on the tiller and just as a kid, just it was quite the sight to see.
Speaker 8: Arry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bet we lived in the suburban Chicago. We had this rather large vegetable garden in the utility right away. Oh that was a shocking how tall the corner I think sunflowers are like fifteen feet tall. It's amazing, beau. But ay, but the soil is good. There's that rich black soil up there, and the tailor just he just with two fingers, you can just till it, you know. But over here they bounce around absolutely like a bucking broncos.
Speaker 2: I was about to say that whenever I was helping my grandpa till it would certainly fell like.
Speaker 3: So anyway, So preparation is nine tenths of the law when it comes to pescue saw seed establishment also a bermuda grass, right, kind of leave it alone right now, I don't want to do too much. Don't try not to scalp it at this time of year. Some people I know, we'll do that though, they'll kind of tidy it up a little bit. Then you get some loss and it needs that layer of ventilation. If we have a colt spelt, you're going to get some loss in your bermuda grass if you do scalp it really low right at this point, so there needs some of that save the de thatching for the spring late you know, you know, very very late winter or early spring. Typically bermuda grass doesn't come out until first of May or so, so you've got the entire month of April to detach. So I'm just kind of trying to leave it alone right now, trying to cut it too low and just kind of water it if it needs it. Yeah, but I was looking at mine and I haven't watered it in three hundred years and there's still green down in there. So it'll it'll come back. We'll have a little bit of a surge after this rain. It'll green up a little bit. Then the freeze will get it. We'll get it right about Halloween. Difficats when that happens exactly. So permittograss, don't do don't do a lot to it. You can put a say, fertilizer on it. The potassium and phosphorus does help it survived the winter a little bit builds up the stolen strength a little bit on there too, so it doesn't hurt to fertilize it. But don't use a high nitrogen fertilizer. The time is over for that. The first of September is the last time we want to do a high nitrogen fertilizer mutagrass.
Speaker 2: Very good, that's good to know as well.
Speaker 3: So here did almost October, So you're thirty days late if you so, don't put too much nitrogen down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't do that at all. Don't do that at all. All right, Well, we're gonna we're up out of our next break here, Larry. Where we come back, we'll be talking about obviously always planning four year landscaping and other idea as were listening to Green Country Gardener after this two minute break.
Speaker 14: In nineteen thirty nine, James Farley, the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee and Franklin Roosevelt's postmaster General, traveled to Bartlesville, Oklahoma to meet with Frank Phillips. This was a special meeting and for Frank a bit different, as Farley did not come to visit about oil or banking. He had another purpose. He came to Bartlesville to try to convince mister Phillips to buy the New York Yankees baseball team. The former owner had died in nineteen thirty nine, and Farley and others felt that Frank had the resources necessary to buy the ball club. Already a wonderful dynasty with such greats as Babe Ruth and Lou Garrick leading the way, the Yankees were known worldwide and would certainly provide great personal and professional exposure to Frank in to Phillips Petroleum. After much consideration, Frank decided not to buy the Yankees, and despite their continued success, he never regretted that decision, as he told his friends, I just good and buy them. I've always been a National League man. Come enjoy the magic of Wollarock and welcome home to Wollarock.
Speaker 9: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 7: Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard? Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 9: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 7: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number?
Speaker 10: It's nine one eight day three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 9: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 10: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 2: Suck it up.
Speaker 5: It's not a big deal.
Speaker 7: Just get over it. We've all heard it.
Speaker 15: But if you're experiencing extreme stress, it's not just in your head. It can affect your entire body because toxic stress can hurt us physically without us even knowing. If you've lost a job, worry about your next meal, or have trouble making it through the day. If you're feeling the effects of stress, we can help text stress to two on one two on one to find a solution.
Speaker 7: Drinking a German job.
Speaker 2: We are living the good life here on Green Country. Gardener Nathan Thompson Larry Glass on our final eight minutes of today's program talk about planning landscaping.
Speaker 3: Plan it's it's a good thing to do. You get a good idea of what what's going to look like and what it's going to cost to on the landscape. I've got some projects out and we've been really slow at progressing this summer. I wonder why. I can tell you, Oh, you're working out side and the heat all and then so I'm not I don't force my people to work too hard on that because we want to be able to go ahead and and get going with our work to get it all done. So so we're behind.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 3: That's surprises you anyway, but still having the plan ready to go and all that and get all the pricing and everything negotiated is very important on the landscape. And really timing is kind of important too when you plant, Yeah, you can plant in the heat. Would be prepared to do a bit more maintenance than you might want to do as far as water is concerned all that. So it's a good idea. Just well, we do hardscapes a lot of that in the hot summer. We're doing a hardscape project right now, but rather extensive carving in the side of a hill kind of a thing, and it's going along very nicely. We're finally going to get the paving done. There's no air circule it so hot, but anyway, so it'll be done probably the end of the week. We'll have it pretty well wrapped up. So that's that's kind of exciting. So, uh, we do landscape plans. I do designs on the on the computer. There you go and you get an aerial view and perspective views and all that you see, and also you're going to know exactly how much it's going to cost.
Speaker 2: That's important.
Speaker 3: So that's that way you can prepare for that and do your budgeting for that moment.
Speaker 2: All right, So right, and you guys can do a landscape project to it's any budget, really, yeah, you know that's that's it's not a I mean, it is an investment, and it's investment for your property. And but it doesn't have to just break the bank, right most of.
Speaker 3: The time, And we a lot of times were coming under budget on it too.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: You get the plants laid out and I'll kick that one out. We don't need one, yeah, exactly, you don't want to overdo it. You have to consider how big these plants are going to get too. So if you if you choose to go, you know, a lower budget and use smaller plants, you got to consider how big they're going to get in the future. Prinstance, a one down in burning bush. It's probably about the size of the microphone. It's about twelve eighteen inches higher, but they can get up to eight feet, So you gotta factor all.
Speaker 2: This stuff they do.
Speaker 3: I've been doing a design and trying not to over stuff it initially, so exactly, anyway we did and all the ground prepp and all that necessary too, and then the drainage. The drainage has to be proper to you don't want the water to go, you know, towards the house.
Speaker 2: Or that is a huge problem I have in my house because my front yard down slopes to my house. Oh yeah, it's awful.
Speaker 3: So Noah's art goes bubblubb exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: In fact, my garage I have so the water doesn't seep in my garage. Actually have a four inch thick piece of timber the bottom of my garage where they constructed the house. I was there, so I have a little speed hump to go into my garage.
Speaker 3: Oh that's fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's an.
Speaker 3: Old house when you're Porsche too. Yeah, around there it's kind of low on those two.
Speaker 2: So oh man, I work in radio. If you think I could afford a Porsche, boy, I'm telling you whatever.
Speaker 3: So anyway, I know my old truck is forty years old. Any problems going away anyway? Yeah, look at your drainage patterns too, and try not to create a problem. And one thing when we do a landscape is we very much respect the height of the floor of the house and it all should go away from that as much as possible. Sure, And you don't ever want to build up a wall up next to the house because you're just asking for moisture problems and watting dry rot and so on your on your studs in the house too, So everything should go away from the house. And I see, I go up and down to a lot of houses, just their logs, like.
Speaker 2: Some you may have driven by my house.
Speaker 3: Some of them had permanent sandbags in front of the house.
Speaker 2: My neighbor. My neighbor actually has sandbags, believe it or not, he does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's just civil engineering. You just have to know that water typically runs downhill when it rains, so you want to try to deflect that water away from the house. And sometimes the situation gets so bad that you have to enter energy into the equation in the form of a say, a French drain. And we use a lot of you know, electric pumps too on that and say, oh my god, it's some pump. Well they're not really that expensive, so it's not that big of a deal, right, So we've done some some pump work too on that.
Speaker 2: Well, after we get done with the show, I will show you a picture of my house. Yeah, Hey, how everything slopes down and you're like, why did they build there? Anyway, what's going on at the nursery.
Speaker 3: What do you have going on in the nursery. We've got a great selection of mums right now, and flowering kale, flowering cabbage is up front. Also, pansies are coming in pretty hot and heavy, where we import some and we're growing some also so we can have a time frame when they're available. In other words, so we buy in the ones that are now, and then ours are growing out back, so we'll have a good selection over a long period of time. So we just don't like to be out in the prime time of selling mums and things. Also, trees are starting to come in real good. We can specially order any tree and want. We're special ordering a giant the giant, but a big ginkle tree for a customer. Yeah, yeah, they want a big one. That's good anyway. That's coming in also, And the shrubs are coming in real good. The burning bushes, the variegated liio opened, the dwarf heel ponds, all these other bushes are coming in right now. And don't forget the fall color with documissioner. The pansies and the flowering kale, flowering cabbage, and we've got all kinds of stuff growing in the greenhouse ready for spring. We're already getting stuff started for the next spring. So there's a lot of planning involved with this. Of course, we have an environment here that we have the plant form like Florida. You can just plant it new exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: And where can they find you, Larry.
Speaker 3: World, No Lotter Road, halfway between Washington Boulevard and Madison on the south side of the road Green Doun Nursery there you go, So come on by and say hello. We've got all kinds of composts and bulk melts and bagged up molts and everything else too perfect, perfect, and we do great landscaping and irrigation, retaining walls, et cetera. And by all means, keep your shovel sharp absolutely absolutely next week. All right, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Green Country Gardener here on K one and k GGF. Have a great Saturday morning.
Speaker 7: Residential and commercial plumbing col Mason's Plumbing.
Speaker 3: We're serving you with the their priority.
Speaker 7: KWN Bartlesville K two twenty seven c Q Bartlesville K two to thirty six c T Pahusca