Speaker 1: This is the Doctor Sky experience. Always look to the sky seventy seven WABC. Now here's Doctor Sky.
Speaker 2: Like travels billions of years just so we can watch a star say goodbye. But in this darkness, every end is just the beginning of something beautiful.
Speaker 3: Thirty two minutes after the hour, we're proviadent on it to have on the line two very special guests, author and space historian Rod Pyle, and also very much honored to have retired United States Air Force Camplin Ed Dwyight. His story is most amazing. In nineteen sixty one, at the direction of President John F. Kennedy, he became the first African American to enter the Air Force training program from which NASA selected its astronauts, and often and not to be overly repeated, becoming the oldest person to ever participate in a spaceflight, a record previously held by William Shatner in a launch in Blue Origins NS twenty five mission in twenty twenty four. Gentlemen, thank you for being with us. Let's continue with the phone calls. They rule here in the theater of the mind. Line number three. We go to Joan in New York City. Good morning, John, how are you.
Speaker 4: Oh, good morning, doctor Sky. I have a couple of questions for you. I've heard on NPR that there's going to be a partial soul eclipse on August twelfth, and much bigger, not quite total, but a lunary eclipse on August twenty seventh or twenty eight. So what can you tell us? Where are the best places on Earth to view these where you would get the largest eclipse. And they said something intriguing which I didn't quite understand. Maybe you understand what they meant. They said that a lunary eclipse always follows a solar eclipse, and I don't know what that means eventually, Yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: Vice versa. But let me start off briefly. This is what's happening August twelfth, coming up right around the corner. There'll be a total solar eclipse for lucky people in Europe, particularly Spain, and we here in the New York area or the East Coast virtually have no ability to see any partiality of this, but the big one. Not to take time from our great guests here, but the subject is in accordance with what we're talking about, space science, astronomy. August two, twenty twenty seven. If you're in an area called Luxor Egypt, you'll get to see the longest total solar eclipse of all. But what happens there is a symbiosis or a connection. When there is a total eclipse of the Sun or partial, you usually get one that happens some fourteen days later due to the alignment of the planetary system. So we appreciate Joan. You have a question though, regarding what we're talking about with.
Speaker 4: Ed and also with Oh just congratulations to that man, the oldest man in space. I can't imagine having the freedom, the courage, your duty to go up in space. And I'm a little younger than you and not a lot, so congratulations to you. And also being the first African American in the program. I think that's fabulous. So thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you so much, and I hope I answered you. Let's continue on line. The time is limited. Line one, Greg and Michigan calls in again. Good morning, Greg, you're on with two very interesting guests.
Speaker 5: I'm sure, good morning everybody. Mister positive boomshaka laka. I've got to ask you, guys, the question of the universe. Is it infinite and if it is made by my God, can it be infinite?
Speaker 3: Very interesting. I don't know, Rod, you want to jump on that one because I'm going to try to get into more of the space conversation. But go ahead, this is interesting your thoughts on this.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't touch that with a ten light year long tall you know alious religious persons, so I'm probably not the right out.
Speaker 3: Well, captain, please jump in. I mean it's your time on stage on the in the theater of the mine. Go ahead.
Speaker 7: No, no, I couldn't answer that question, but you know I could answer the question you asked, what was my experience on the on the recent on my recent flight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: At launch when when?
Speaker 6: When? When?
Speaker 7: When the booster lit? I uh, we have seventy feet here in this in this capsule and boos. When the booster lied, I thought the damn thing blew. I thought the whole ship blew.
Speaker 6: Jeez.
Speaker 7: And I said to myself, well, I'm going to become a cristling to the ground any minute now. And I've lived a good life. I'm paying this to myself. And next thing, you know, this thing starts lifting up into the sky. And I said, oh, I said, oh, this is how it works.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. So when you get to the top, when you get to the Apoge, I mean you go up about what about fifty some miles or that line in space is probably fifty sixty.
Speaker 7: Miles right right. And so I am sitting on top of the explosive bolt is right below my butt, and the exposed the boat to separation booster from the capsule exploded, and so I said, well, they didn't get me the first time, They got me this time. And the next thing, you know, this this booster starts moving away from the capsule. And I was sitting there absolutely amazed, and I got a chance to look down at the Earth, and I looked at this wonderful little I've seen the curvature of the Earth obviously as a test about it, but seeing the Earth from from that distance, so you got this wonderful, neat, little well ordered ball down there. There's spectacular and view everything is organized and beautiful, and it's just incredible, and there's no boundaries between countries and states and all this sort of thing, you know, And I got I got an incredibly spiritual moment at that point in time, and I just could not imagine why why these people on that little ball down there I can't get along with each other?
Speaker 3: And I wow, that's an amazing statement, my friend, You're so correct. I mean, eight eight point seven billion people routing it, that's amazing. Why do I have to have wars? Why can't we just be like you said?
Speaker 7: Why can't we all just And I came to the conclusion that every elected official needs at least three orbits on this earth, and all the bs well, it won't stop, but it will certainly slow down, uh, you know, trying to kill each other and do all these incredibly bad things to each other. Just it was my it was worth all all that whole life that I've lived just that few seconds of looking at the earth and from that distance, and it just it was ever a movie. And you already changed a lot of my values and things about what this earth and everything is all about.
Speaker 3: Actually, absolutely right, Captain again, thanking you for your service and all the people in all the branches, men and women of course, right dedication to America. I'm going to ask you this quick question. We'll go back to the callers and we'll get a ride involved. And sure he has a number of questions too. Shock Yeger and General Curtis LeMay or what instrumental in moving forward your ability to become the first African American American astron in the training program. Talk about that because I've had Chuck here before he passed, and he was a tough cookie to interview. Boy, I'll tell you I didn't get a lot of words out of him. All he ever said to me he was yep, nope, I wanted to get more.
Speaker 8: But is that true.
Speaker 3: These guys were involved in you were moving up the line.
Speaker 7: No, these guys were the guys that stopped.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: He was very upset.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeager was livid that that president didn't make him the first astronaut or put him on that astronaut team. He was very bitter about that.
Speaker 3: Wow, I didn't know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and the fact that he was that the president would cho the black uh candidate. The steam came out of this guy's ears and practically coming down to test by the school, he had a meeting with with the new students and the instructor staff and he told these guys that the president is trying to use him the end where he's trying to cram an in word down our throats and if we allow this guy to do this, the President's going to take the whole uh make the whole space program. Black.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sorry to hear that, but truth is the best thing of all, Captain, because let me say this now, I have to consider myself an apology to the audience. You can't always believe everything you read here. So that's what I was reading. And again I'm dead wrong on that. Sorry to hear that.
Speaker 7: Well, all through test about the school, he called me into his office every week and told me to my faith that I was not worthy, I shouldn't have been there, and the President's going to kill me. And it just went on through my whole training, and he was running around talking about how how inadequate I was. Out of my test potic clas as there was seventeen in the class, and I graduated seventh out of that seventeen. And I erupted in these days at the end, at the end of the thing that as it was, there were ten there were ten white guys that were below me, and it was your rating system that did this. Yeah, sorry to hear that.
Speaker 3: And God blessed because nowadays everybody not because of the race, color, or creed. They should be given what obviously equal opportunity men and women to aspire based on their credibility, their scores, and their ability to do the job, which is a tough one. I'm sure, Ron, I'm sure you have a quick comment or too, because the quick comment it almost sets us up to the next break here in about a minute and a half.
Speaker 6: Please continue, I do so, Captain Dwight. I have a question. I mean, you were a pioneering flight test, you were a potential astronaut candidate. No thanks to those guys, but why do you think it took another twenty two years to get a person of color in space in the American space program?
Speaker 3: Great question?
Speaker 7: Well, okay, okay, that is a great question. Because all through my training, the President brought me to Washington every weekend to meet with the Senators. This was a big political move. I met with almost all the Senators trying to get political with the President, trying to get political support. I only met with the househole leadership because of four than thirty five member members of that so I couldn't meet with all those guys as a political move to move this whole black astronaut or blacks in space idea along and from the time I got every one of the senators that I spoke to and how this twenty year thinking, every single one of them wished me well good luck, but you know you're twenty years too soon, every single seven. And it was this twenty year thing. And then Lewis and Clark were the last great pioneers. So this whole thing. America was one hundred percent against this whole thing, and it was just too soon. And there was no way that they were going to allow a black to be involved, and he's already asked form out selections, so they had to move the thing back so that space was well exploited. And then you bring the blacks and the women in and I faced that the whole time I was in the program.
Speaker 3: Well, gentlemen, we have to take that break again. Apologies for cutting anybody short, but we do have a ton of callers that would like to get in on the conversation. We'll be right back here on the Doctor Sky Experience. If you've called in, we'll do our very best to get you on with your questions and comments in the Theater of the Mind on the Doctor Sky Experience.
Speaker 1: This is the Doctor Sky experience. Always look to the sky. Seventy seven WABC. Now here's Doctor Sky.
Speaker 8: Listen. Captain Jim Lovell, an old astronaut, has made four very significant flights. Hopefully that the people listening, especially the young people, will get a good education kind of follow me in space. And it was a pleasure to be on the Doctor Sky's show. And lots of LEU. Call of you.
Speaker 3: Forty seven minutes after the hour, we continue with the callers our two very special guests, author and space historian Rod Pyle and Ed Dwight, retired United States Air Force Captain Ed Dwight, one of the original astronauts, the African American astronauts to be put into the space program and also the oldest person to participate in the spaceflight, beating out the age of William Shanner. Let's continue online. Number three. Welcome Dominic in New Jersey. You're on with our great guests.
Speaker 10: How are you hello, Doctor Scott and all your guests are amazing as always of you keep me up late at night being that you do have all those great, great guests, so thank you.
Speaker 4: I do want to ask.
Speaker 10: Captain dwighte again, this is Dominic and it's really an honor to speak to you. I was reading a bit about you, and I see how long you trained for space flight back in the sixties, but you know that you finally flew at ninety was the New Shepherd spacescraft spacecraft like a more forgiving ride than what you trained for back then, like with the G forces and like the vibration and physical stress of the launch. And at any point did you think, Wow, I'm like ninety years old and I'm actually doing this, or like thought twice about growing up? Thank you for for answering my questions.
Speaker 3: Woh, captain human side of this, This is cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I never flew, you know, in the New Shepherd, So I can't answer. I can't answer that question. Uh, can you give me the second question again?
Speaker 3: I guess dominate, go ahead. I'm sorry. We had too many things that we could try to get through in a short time. What was the second time?
Speaker 6: Go ahead?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: No, So my my question is when you flew up with the UH with the flue origin, right, was that spacecraft a little bit more forgiving bride than what you trained for back when you were a young man, like especially the g's forces or the vibration and things like that, being that it was newer technology, right, So I was just wondering what your thoughts were with like the advancement of what we have now versus Ben. I mean, I know it didn't any easier, but he.
Speaker 3: Never flew the first time. He never flew the first time. But yeah, Captain your experiences, how was the G force on what you flew on?
Speaker 10: I guess it was the training, the training that he had.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the G forces in in the spaceships, it is really negligible. I mean, you know, I pulled up up to ten twelve z's when I was flight testing, So that's a totally different matter that the G forces in these space in the spacecraft doesn't come anywhere near you know, those kind of G forces that we experienced as hard as hard nosed fighter pilots where we're doing flight testing and stuff. So there's really no comparison. The uh, it's just not a factor. I'll just put it to you that way.
Speaker 3: I'm just said, thank you, Dominic and New Jersey appreciate you and your commentary. I got to ask you this, Captain, the type of airplace you say test pilot, what are some of the aircraft that you flew, because I'm sure many people out there may or may not have the vast experience in aviation. Describe some of them that you flew. I'm amazed to hear this.
Speaker 7: I ended up playing twenty five different airplanes, from from from small planes up to a flud B fifty two's, and then flight testing, you know, one thirty five, which was the largest planes. I mean, you know, flying a B fifty two is like driving around in an apartment building.
Speaker 3: The pictures I've seen them, and they're called, as you know, sir, there's an acronym. We won't use the real description, but it's the b U f F the buff and I don't describe it because it uses some letters pay together bad words that we don't say on the radio.
Speaker 7: But yeah, yeah, I ended up playing all the fighters, all one hundred series fighters, and they've been in earlier and some of the World War Two fighters flud.
Speaker 8: And so.
Speaker 7: It's just hard to, you know, to evaluate that whole range. These most pilots going in the military and they fly one airplane their whole career, you know, variations of the same airplane their entire twenty thirty year career. And I was really lucky, and it was really really unusual. And I was in these various and Sunday situations where I was on the base and I was some of them was out of sheer curiosity because I wanted to build up my flying time. So I went volunteered to fly other airplanes other than you know, you know, my main airplanes. So that's how I ended up flying twenty five different airplanes from light light airplanes up up up to be fifty two's and which was really fascinating, fascinating flying career. And I was I was able to see how the different airplanes interacted. And like the Airport four, everybody talks about that there's the worst airplane in the world. It flies straight, yes.
Speaker 3: The manned missile, So you're.
Speaker 7: Right twice the speed of some but don't try to turn it.
Speaker 3: Captain. I got one more thing, and I want to get Rught in before the hour ends. And again my thank you honoring your service in the military and what you've done and what you continue to do here. It's just an amazing, amazing story. You know, I was close with many of the Tuskegee airmen here in Arizona. I don't know if you ever knew the gentleman Bob Ashby. My god, Hey, my friend Bob and I, Hey what we did? Look the audience, we're going to go. I wish we had fifty hours with you, but here it is real quick. What we did. We hooked at with the company and the Philippines that made these incredible models. So as an honor to the Tuskegee Airman, the redtail pilot says, you know, we did one for Bob Ashby. But sadly, Bob, like yourself, tells us the story of horrible discrimination because he was a command pilot on a major airline. I won't mention it. He barely got into that seat in the command seat because of the horrible discrimination. So that's a story, you bet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Sorry, Bob and I were really really close by the.
Speaker 3: Way, Okay, we got some go ahead.
Speaker 6: I guess it just may not be the most appropriate. It's not a space question. But you know they called the F one O for the widow Maker. Was there a good reason for that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, because if you didn't know, if you weren't on it every minute with that airplane, I mean it could, it could and would kill you.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: And and they were using it for for loyal over d landings and preparation for the Space Shuttle and test bout the school. They were using the F one o four. We'd go to thirty thousand feet and shift the engine off and landing.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: They are plenty of three hundred miles an hour. And everybody, everybody in the tests arena there that got killed. Several guys got killed. Out of my classmates, seventeen of this graduated and within three years only eight of us were left.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I got one closing thing to mention here, that F one o four. I don't know, Captain, if you were familiar with General Steve Ritchie, the Air Force ACE in Vietnam. He and I were friends and he sent me down. We went to visit in Florida. They had a detachment of fe O fours called Starfighters. And at one time you said to me, how about a ride in the back seat? And I said to him, in my very simple way, Hell, no getting me in the back seat. But what a beautiful looking airplane? Yeah, go ahead, go ahead. I'm sorry, No, I'm sorry, But what I want to mention this is most important your website. I want to mention ed Dwight d w I g HD dot com. You can learn so much more, ladies and gentlemen about his artistic side, the artistic side of this American hero, as I like to call you, and again, sir, thank you for your service to the United States. And again, ay, discrimination never be the path in this country ever. Again, it should be based on our character, our abilities, and that simply should be why it should be. And we could add in another thing, talking about truth and justice. That's the thing we need. Rod Byle, You're going to continue with me in hour number two, but Edward, I just want to say one thing. Thank you so much. If you have a closing comment, you have the floor, and folks, if we haven't gotten to you, we'll definitely continue in hour number two one eight hundred eight four eight nine to two two. Captain Dwight your fatal words.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I really really really appreciate this. You know, you you know you go through life and you you you know I don't. I don't consider myself the people give me credit for a whole bunch of self and I and all I'm doing is what I consider to be the right thing. I had a lot of training to do things right, and I spent a lot of time. Everything I've ever done, I've spent an incredible amount of time doing the homework associated with it so I can succeed. And there were four that have been forces that have have allowed me not to succeed as well as I plan to. But I ended up getting over the hump when I became a sculptor. I've done one hundred and thirty three Lords memorials in thirty seven Statesful, I've been busy, staying busy.
Speaker 6: And I didn't tell you this, but right now I'm legally blind.
Speaker 3: God yeah, but I'm still working and continue. You'll never give up, and that's the way to have it, folks, no matter what affliction we have, we have to over comment.
Speaker 6: You better believe.
Speaker 7: Okay, Well, I'm writing three books and that's why I got to stay living to get these three books finished.
Speaker 3: Well, God bless you, and I hope you have a good morning.
Speaker 6: Sir.
Speaker 3: Let's talk again at your convenience. And I also want to tell the audience that's something very special that you have in your honor. You have an asteroid known as asteroid nine two five seventy nine asteroid Dwight. You got a piece of rock out there, out in the universe, rightfully deserved. Captain God, bless you and thank you for your service to America.
Speaker 6: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank all of you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Okay, bye, blessing well, ladies and gentlemen. We continue on the other side with Rod byle. We have so much to cover in the area of space updates. What about the asteroidal bodies that are out there we know? What about the missions to the asteroidal bodies and so many other things. What happened to the SpaceX booster? But most important right Rod in the theater of the mind. People can join in the conversation. If you have been on hold, we apologize with the popularity of the guests. Stay on the line and we'll continue to do this. A quick space and astronomy update from my side. Don't forget. We find the big percied meteor shower once again, reining forth. If you have clear skies, this is the week to look. No moon is in the sky as of August the twelfth, when a total solar eclipse occurs on the other side of the world, giving good conditions to look in the northeast on the evenings of August the twelfth into the thirteenth and to the thirteenth into the fourteenth early morning look in the midnight sky right after midnight in the northeast. You beget to see some of the amazing sights in nature. More on the Doctor Sky experience when we return with our number two and thanks to our helmsman Bill and Jackson making sure you're heard. Five by Fine.
Speaker 6: Ground, you have a safety exclusion zone. And once you have an exclusion zone, you kind of almost have a de fact a land claim. You're not claiming the land, but you're you're telling people that you've got this stay out area because you don't want anybody getting hurt.
Speaker 3: So is that analogous or something like if you have a mobile home and you own the mobile home, but you don't own the land underneath it.
Speaker 6: Something of that order, right, I mean to make it really kind of like that, To take it a step further, I have a leaky pro paint tank and if you smoke too close to my mobile home, it's going to blow up.
Speaker 3: So stay over there, you know, you know this is very interesting. David Online too comes to us in the theater of the mine. He's in Staten Island. David, you're on the year with Rod Pyle. How you doing?
Speaker 11: Rod? And Doctor Sky previously was the subject of a child who made a mud pie and it took time of a crib and turned into a ladder, and then in an orphanation made a roadside bomb with toysts and sand and eventually we take red black red checkers that drop him on his toys. And many years later Wall Street, I have an article regarding to Howard ten year old and make an atomic bomb. That was the primary red black red. The black was lead to separate two isotopes.
Speaker 8: What I'm trying to.
Speaker 11: Say is the Alligator submarine has to be brought back to life, modernized in the twenty first century, and give it to the Navy because we're going to need it in the near future. As what I have learned over from here station. By the way, I love it. It's very informative, it's very educational. It's a saying they said in the Navy many years ago during the Second World War. Both let's think ships. But I needed help for a long time. I'm going to two.
Speaker 3: Well, blessings to you, my friend, and keep those secrets where they need to be. You're absolutely right, and I think I'm getting out of that route a bit about radiation shielding. But from what he's describing, David and Staten Island, obviously spacecraft that's a big issue, I mean quick coming from you, that is something very serious on long journeys out into space. How do you really protect the crew because I have no idea. What do you keep building heavier and heavier layers of lead as David was talking about with submarines to shield reactions from nuclear.
Speaker 7: What do you do well?
Speaker 6: And in this case, I think we're not talking about shielding the crew for a reactor, although we will might have nuclear proposal. We're talking about shielding the space.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So you've got spacemic radiation coming from outright, coming from outside the Solar System, and you've got the radiation coming from the Sun. So I wrote a book about, I guess exactly ten years ago called Blueprint for a Battlestar, which is about, you know, great scientific innovations, and one of the things in there was about this topic. They NASA particular, but through NYAK their Advanced Innovation Program and a number of other branches have been working hard on this problem, as have other international folks, and we're finding lighter and lighter elements of sometimes pretty esoteric combinations of either metal alloys or other kinds of things like composits that do block radiation pretty effectively. The problem is that they're not heavy, they're bulky, and it seems from what I've read, I mean the holy grail of this is active radiation mediation. So if you can have the right kind of electrical field or magnetic field around your ship that can deflect an awful lot of radiation. Just don't let your generators go out, or you have a problem if you're there too long. But in a more some sense, there's been a lot of conversation about using water jackets. Now, water's really heavy, so this is why you want to be able to get it from the moon. Right, you're not launching it off Earth. But once you've got it, you put a water jack or into spacecraft. Water's very good at absorbing blocking a lot of different kinds of radiation. You can also make it in to breathe the boxygen you can make it int a rocket fuel. You can use it to grow algae for food supplies. So there's all kinds of good things that come if you can handle moving the mass of water to surround your shit.
Speaker 3: Right, And when you bring it up, you bring up a good point. That's why if people look at nuclear reactors like these big power station room nuclear reactors, they're obviously the rods are in case what and big pools and puddles of water, big pools, not puddles. And you're right, that mitigates what some of that radiation from escaping in a way that they know the formulas. We don't. But as long as they keep it safe, don't let the thing drain and have exposed rods.
Speaker 6: That's not a good situation, right, Never good too to have that situation, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you've written so many books here and I'm looking at this whole list. Wow, it goes along like a big print out here. So we're talking about the book that you just mentioned before. This is so amazing in twenty sixteen blueprint for a battlestar sterling books. Obviously, these books that go back, they're still in print or people can get them, or they're hard to find if they're a book collector. On many of these how to actually tell us about that.
Speaker 6: Fortunately for me, although a lot of them are on back list, we sold enough of them that they're all available used. And I always, you know, unless somebody wants a pristine first edition that they want signed or something, I say, look, just go to Books a Million or something. You can find most of them for anywhere from three to twelve dollars, you know, spend retail price unless you really want it brand new. I think eight or ten of them are still in print, and then the rest out of the working on my twenty second now are still available. And then I've got a new one coming out later this year, and one that US came out actually called a Dream Renewed that takes a new look at the work of Gerard O'Neil about orbital space colonies. I was an editor on that book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to get a copy of that one. And wherever we purchase one, it obviously available by your website, which is pilebooks dot com.
Speaker 6: Well, actually it won't be on there because it's a National Space Society imprint. So it's going to be on the NSS website at NSS dot org, and it's going to be on Amazon in about six weeks. I think so it's nice coming out. Yeah, File that's.
Speaker 3: In the other books, Rodpile books. It just pilebooks dot com. Excuse me, Pilpy eater one.
Speaker 6: Actually I grabbed both domains because you know it wants my name right.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating. Well, we're almost up again at the space time continuum which rules, which is the hard break at the bottom of every hour. So it's what's interesting. We have so many things I'd like to discuss with you, but I want to jump into this, maybe just in a couple of minutes. Maybe we have two all these particular spacecraft that are orbiting the Moon. I'm looking at about seven that are still in lunar orbit, but we can go through after the break. I want to talk about one, and in particular for this moment, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. I'm so proud of that spacecraft. How can you be proud of a spacecraft. Well, it shows us all these different images of you know, pass spacecraft like our Apollo descent modules, the footprints, and that I hope is one way that people might believe well, if they believe the image is real, I do that we did go there, but little LRO does a great job, don't you think.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. It's a spectacular success. And like most of NASA and or JPL spacecraft, has greatly outlived its warranty. Most of these things have a primary mission of anywhere for three months to a year. This one was supposed to work for a year, with an extension of two years, and it's coming up on soon. It'll be eighteen years amazing.
Speaker 3: Also mission our special guest here, he's our go to guy when it comes to these space subjects. And again you can go to pile Books dot com orerever good books are sold and there's a lot of places. We'll be right back one eight four eight nine, two two two to get into the theater of the mind. I'm Steve Kates, Doctor Sky, and the Doctor Sky Experience continues talking with you, not at you, about the great mysteries that lie out in the universe. We'll be right now.
Speaker 1: The Doctor Sky Experience is on the air seventy seven WABC.
Speaker 6: Now here's Doctor Sky.
Speaker 2: Look into the distance where time stands still at the edge of the dark, the light learns to bend. We cross the boundary, not to disappear.
Speaker 6: But to discover.
Speaker 2: Where the infinite begins.
Speaker 3: We're all part of the space time continuing here on talk radio seventy seven WABC thirty one minutes after the hour. Rod Bile, He's our space historian, an author on great topics every linked to the subject that we're talking about about space. The question we have for the audience, and we continue with it, what does the US space program mean to you regarding American exceptionalism? Four eight nine two. Let's go to line number one. Dave's been patient in New York. Good morning, how are you doing? Hi?
Speaker 8: How are you doing?
Speaker 6: Steve doing good?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm the lesson glory guy nerves. You know you've talked to me before.
Speaker 6: Nine question.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, not often, but you know, anyway, my question is, is there a way or could they develop a way to harvest the radiation the cosmic rays or whatever in outer space? Or if we have a spaceship or you know, a base on the Moon or whatever to harvest the cosmic rays and we reutilize them as power and also possibly shield whatever craft.
Speaker 5: We have.
Speaker 3: Very interesting question. I never thought about it that way, David. I'm sure Rod will bring us right to the center of the conversation. Rod, this is.
Speaker 6: Interesting, Well, you have a stronger physics background than I do, doctor Scott, but I think radiation space radiation is one of those things. It's a little bit like the Martian atmosphere.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 6: The Martian atmosphere is thick enough that you have to worry about having heat shields and so forth, but so thin that it really and help you slow down enough to land on the planet without extraordinary measures. And my understanding of space radiation, and please correct me if you think differently, is that it's strong enough to do serious damage to our genetic structure over extended period of time, but otherwise so very very weak that I don't think there's a way to collect enough of it for it to make a difference, at least not the current techno.
Speaker 3: Well, you're so right, and Dave, just to add to this, I'm not the expert on this either. I'm just giving a little bit of opinion here from what I do and read. But you have the different particles in space, Cosmic rays would be just ridiculously I think I hate the word impossible to harvest because of the incredible power that they have. That's one part of the radiation that's pretty dominant in space. But if you look at the energy, like we know from the Sun, all this proton energy in the form of light and heat. That's something obviously that's another discussion. It's a solar power. But Dave, if you bring up something interesting, I never thought of it that way because we're trying to talk in this little context how to shield this spacecraft so that humans don't become you know, cancer victims obviously on long duration space missions. But you want to add something else to the conversation. You bring up some amazing topics for great research.
Speaker 12: That's exactly what I was thinking. But you know, if there's a.
Speaker 8: Way to.
Speaker 12: Channel it and use it for a shield, and also, you know, let me bring up you know, the power of solar wind, and.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 12: The sci fi stuff with the sails powering ships going out and all that. But yeah, I just thought there might be a way to channel it back into a shield.
Speaker 3: That's a very interesting concept because as you go deeper into space, right rod, the solar wind that Dave is talking about, it's strong. It's like a garden hose. The best analogy we can give everybody listening if they don't know about solar wind, the stream of particles coming out from the Sun. It varies in soder cycle low and high. We know that, but it's like the analogy would be you take a garden hose, Dave and fire it. You know what, It's tiniest little focused beam of water. Eventually at the source it's very powerful. But what happens way out So if you're doing missions both Dave and Rodd that go deeper out into the universe, the dissipation of the solar wind is not going to be as strong as when you left let's say the Earth, so you'd have to go to distant stars and that just confuses the audience more.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, then you're tacking like a sloop at sea. There's an interesting I just read about a study that Nayak is doing, which is the NASA Advanced Innovation Concept Study. A university I think it's Texas. A and M just got granted a bunch of money to study a stack solar sales. So rather than one big, huge monolithic thing, you know, kilometers wide, it's a stack of twenty or thirty smaller sales, kind of like some of the Chinese kites you see where they have surface after surface after surface strung together exactly so that the effective area is it's huge, but it's much easier to fly up and deploy. But you're right, I mean, you get you know, you start heading outside of the heliosphere, and I mean there's actually that point that the voyagers across where you leave the effect of the solar wind and now you're outside of that, and whatever you're getting is from the great beyond, I guess, And I don't know what you do at that point. I mean there's been tons of studies about you know, if we have a huge, powerful laser orbiting Earth and we point that at a at a reflector or some kind of a dish on the spacecraft, can we push it with that? But when you start looking at the kind of power reserves acquired, you know, this visionary stuff. But for a guy like me, stuck stuck in old age in the first half of the twenty first century, it seems, oh, it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Hard anyway, we're both in the same group. But here we go. This is interesting. So Dave, thank you for your call in New York, because here's an interesting thing. Maybe it gives raw inspiration to write a book, but I think, no, not better than you.
Speaker 6: Rod.
Speaker 3: If Arthur C. Clark was still around the great sci fi ro Oh yeah, I'm sure he could take great liberty at turn turning a book out about what you talked about, Dave, about harnessing the power of the energy coming out from the universe. So anyway, that's amazing. Before the break, I wanted to get into the conversation of these spacecraft that are orbiting the Moon. I called it the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, which is there. The Indian nation has Chendrayan two supposedly still in orbit. The Koreans have the dan Yuru or dan Uri spacecraft. And then here's an interesting part about this. These are things I don't know. That's what we ask you. Artemis too apparently put tiny little CubeSats in orbit around the Moon, P one and P two. I have no idea if they're still running. They were these tiny little things that maybe look like a suitcase. And the Chinese have two very important relay satellites. So those people are wondering, right Rod, how do we get signals from the far side of the Moon when we've never done that? Are eves They have these little relay satellite, so not the splood hairs the Moon still has a whole lot of these little orbiting objects going around it, and probably many more to come.
Speaker 6: Right it does. And you mentioned the Chinese satellites, which I found especially compelling. I mean, the thing an artemist too, was, I think, just a small experiment. Basically CubeSat sizes are recalled, but the Chinese ones, I think are called Magpie one, a Magpie two kind of cube.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: And you know, we had looked at doing an apollo landing on the far side of the Moon with some seriousness. It was never taken forward. For one reason, they canceled a bunch of the missions, and for another, its just deemed pretty dangerous. But we knew we'd need relay satellites to do that because obviously radio's line of site you can't bend it around the backside of the Moon because it got this big rock blocking your signal. So the Chinese put these relay stations up so they could land their rover and their spacecraft on the far side of the Moon. As far as I know, they're still active, and you know, they they proved that they are are technologically at this point by doing that. That was a really big step.
Speaker 3: That is amazing, right. That shocked a lot of people, because you're right, many people who want to see a radio telescope on the far side of the moon. Why, in simple terms, you would have no spurious radiation, so, in other words, you wouldn't be hearing this radio station. Shame on that, because we'd want to hear it on the far side of the moon, but all radio signals would be what mitigated, so you'd not be able to hear anything so quiet. Would be the purpose of setting up a giant radio telescope without radio interference. I heard a crazy story one time. I don't know if you could corroborate it. People working in the giant radio telescope. I think it was in Puerto Rico when they were working on that big dish telescope that was in the ground. You've seen it in movies, Garcibo, And when the whole thing collapsed, you know, the antenna. Somebody said to me and I thought it was serious, that they were actually detecting a signal from something, and it was very very powerful and it could have been what the first alien signature from outer space. Later they deduced guess what it was. It was somebody downstairs in the cafe near the you know where they're getting the snack bar microwave, right, it was the microwave oven.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's ridiculous, but probably, yeah, I know that that is true. And there's been a number of those where they got this what looked like it could have been some kind of a signal from d space. They said, oh my god, it's so exciting. In fact, I think that was one of the explanations that might have been put forth for the Wow signal way back in the sixties. Yeah, the sixties and seventies, remember that was But yeah, there's so many, you know, as you point out spurious causes that you can have for these things, and God bless the scientists to spend all the time tracking down every possible reason that it's not alien so that we can know whether it's we found something or not. Because how exciting is that going to be when it happens?
Speaker 3: Eight nine two two two brings you into the theater of the mind with special guests and ladies and gentlemen. If you we have an email, mine is Dr Risky not just going at WABC radio dot com. Answer all the emails that I do get and some people do roud they send us some guest suggestions. We've had a few in the past doing some research for my side. We appreciate that greatly. Not all of those, of course, happen, but again due to time and circumstance, many many amazing guests coming throughout the month of August. We'll stay tuned with you, and hopefully you'll stay tuned with us. What's interesting Before we go to the next break, the last break of the two hour show, I wanted to give you just kind of wet our appetites on the Artemis free mission, because again people were thinking, hey, Autemist three, they're supposed to be landing on the south pole of the Moon. Not yet, what's Artemist three? And a quick summation, So Artimist three.
Speaker 6: This is the rejiggering of the program that the new administrator, Jerry and Isaacman did a few months back, and I think with good reason. Artemis three is specifically an Earth orbit mission, primarily to test the docking and maneuvery capability of the Orion capsule with hopefully both lunar landers. Now we have a contract with SpaceX to convert their starship into a lunar lander, which they're moving very slowly on to be frank and we have another contract with Blue Origin, Bezos's company, to their lunar lander called Blue Moon, which is moving, as far as we can tell, more rapidly, and it's smaller and it's just it's purpose designed to land on the Moon, whereas Starship is kind of a one size fits all kind of spacecraft that they have to adapt. So the idea with Artemis three is that they'll go into orbit and they will rendezvous and dock with and undock and dock with and undock and maneuver while attached to these two different lander probably mock ups at that point. I don't think either of them will be actually ready as landers, but at least they'll be working engineering models and make sure that they're going to work, and then hopefully a year year and a half later Artemis foreheads off to make a landing with whichever one of those landers is ready.
Speaker 3: That's amazing cross. So it's still a tight competition. We can discuss much more when we come back from the very last break of a two hour radio show, but I'd like to take the opportunity to thank owner and I heard of John Katzimatitis and from the executive staff Chad Lopez, for giving me the honor of an opportunity of a lifetime to be behind this microphone sharing with you, ladies and gentlemen, great information as you tell us, and obviously talking more about the great mysteries of the universe, and in case you're a first time listener, the realms of astronomy, space aviation, whether American exceptionalism as we like to call it, a theater of the mind, and that of course seems to you know, kind of really pound it out, because people tell me that they enjoy this kind of conversation where we let you have an opportunity to express your opinions, and we certainly don't get into the political realm much, and that's on purpose because we have so many things to share. And as the good well as our good first guest had talked about the oldest gentleman to fly into space, simply, why can't we all just simply get along more in the Doctor Sky Experience. As we move toward the conclusion of hour number two, with many great guests to come in future iterations, thank you for your interest. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Doctor Sky Experience is on the air. Seventy seven WABC. Now here's Doctor Sky.
Speaker 9: One, Doctor edgar Mitchell, Apollo fourteen astronaut Actorsdanlon in nineteen seventy one to the Pronomo area on Apollo fourteen with Commander Alan Shepherd who was their commander, Stuart RuSHA who was their command Mogreal pilot, and I was a Luner Modreal Pollot in February fifth, nineteen seventy one. And you're listening to the Doctor Sky Show.
Speaker 3: Forty nine minutes after the hour, we continue with our special guest Rod Pile. Still time if you'd like to join in the conversation on eight hundred and eighty four eight nine.
Speaker 6: Two two two.
Speaker 3: In the time limited that we do have, I wanted you Rud to take the floor and talk to us about these space missions that are heading out into space, the Psyche Mission, the Europa Clipper, the Juice Mission, and of course this little mission that we're talking about in detail, the Juice mission, which is called the Jupiter Icy Moons Explore. There's a lot of excitement in unmanned space problems, there is, and I.
Speaker 6: Just wanted to touch on one other topic real quick before we go into that. You were mentioning the solar eclipse earlier, and I know we're not going to be able to see it from the US, but as a person who did some moderately substantial damage to my eyes when I was a young boy using inexpensive solar filters on a telescope, I would just encourage anybody overseas who's planning to look at it to buy your eclipse glasses, not from Amazon, but from a reputable source, either directly from Celestron or lunt Toptics, both of whom are the certified reputable. Yeah, because there's just so much junk out there, and you know, the eyesight something you can't get back, and if you forget it, dam as you know better than I do, if you damage it during an eclipse, that's pretty much it.
Speaker 3: Yes, So we don't want to Yeah, yeah, Well, talking about these missions, we have a few minutes left here. I mean, there's a Psyche mission that's heading out there to what maybe what a nico lyon and core of a planet. Who knows. Someday we'll hear about a quadrillion trillionaire and they have to tow these objects back to that could be a bigger future than anything SpaceX is even thinking about now.
Speaker 6: It's funny, you know, and you I'm sure you've read the same stuff I have. There's been a lot of people talking years about the millions and billions are going to make an asteroid. Mining companies have started risen and fallen trying to do that, and notably above them, these space industries raised a lot of money and failed. You know, asteroids are far away, most of them. They're moving in specific trajectory, so you have to know where they are. You have to know where they're going to be. You have to rhyn with them, you have to prospect them, make sure they actually have something you want other than just various kinds of carbon and rock, and then you've got to go after it. So Psyche is interesting because it's they call it a metal asteroid. It's certainly very rich in metal. It's located out in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. So we've got a mission headed out there. That's the PI of that is a woman named Lindy Elkins Tanton, who have met a few times. She's really wonderful, the great guest if you ever get her on the show, by the way, and it's supposed to arrive at the asteroid in twenty twenty nine. That's the thing about all of these missions, you know, you just wish they could go a little faster because they're so exciting.
Speaker 3: New propulsion methods. But rod not to cut your short. It's just a stream of consciousness that brings me to this point. Hopefully media will get it right and we'll do our part. Of course, not only here on this powerhouse station, but I'm sure with others, you know, discussing the subject Apompae, the asteroid that's skimming very close to the Earth April thirteenth or so of twenty twenty nine. Let's help me. I don't go into this whole thing that it's going to strike us. We're all doomed. Let's see what the science says about it, don't you think?
Speaker 6: Yeah? And I mean, what's exciting about that? Again, I know you're probably ahead of me on this is that we'll be able to observe it as it goes by, which is not something happens very often for an asteroid. It is exciting unless somebody goes over and gives it a kick in our direction. It should miss us and it doesn't come around. I think till the late twenty thirties. Again, right, you're exactly right.
Speaker 3: He has another opportunity to pass but way off subject for the limited time. But Psyche, you're talking about that mission. Talk about the Europa Clipper. Educate us on this because that's another fascinating concept.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I forget the year that arise, but that's en root and that will be a orbiter. It just got this kind of complex orbital plot around Europa and I think a couple other moons during the course the mission. I haven't read about it lately, but you know what they want to do. The thing that's so cool about Europa and moons. I can sell this out at Saturn is we think that because we think they have a warm brandy sea below the surface. There's evidence apparently on the surface as far as we can tell, that these oceans bent out occasionally and then fall back to the surface's ice. And if that ocean is down there, and if it's warm, we think there's a reason a good chance that there could be life in it. And so if you can scoop up some of this mist as it's coming out and analyze it, you might be able to get some idea of what's going on down there, and that's a very exciting prospect. I did want to dip back just on the asteroid thing for a second. You know, this what I was alluding to is this talk about, you know, asteroids made out of solid platinum and all that. And I was talking, as I may mentioned the show before, to the billionaire named Steve Jerbertsen who invested heavily in space X and elsewhere. Brilliant guy finished Stanford Engineering in two years instead of the usual four. Incredible, and we're talking about this, and he said, you know, there's just one big problem with this. The second you get a whole bunch of this stuff, the bottom falls out of the market. So if you do find a way to grapple this asteroid and bring it back to Earth and set it down in the outpack of Australia or somewhere like that, which I guess has actually been explored as an idea, no kidding, you know, because who cares? Right then suddenly platinum is worth a whole lot less and you're kind of back where you started. So I think that's a grossover simplification, but that was his point, and I thought, that's a really good point.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a very good point. Supply and demand with rare earth type elements, that's interesting. In other words, the rush could be good in the beginning. It makes a lot of people, what quadrillionaires, but then again, look at this tiny planet. Who is going to actually use this? And then the price changes. It's going to be like on the markets, just like gold and silk, or unless they come up with a whole different market strategy, right, who knows.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think rare earth elements might be of interest though, because those we are going to start running out of those at some point, and there's a lot of that in the Solar system, so that may be the big holy grail out there.
Speaker 3: Interesting. So the missions that we're talking about here, Lazien and gentlemen, we talk Psyche Europa Clipper. Here's one that doesn't get a lot of attention in the short time. We have the Parker Solar Probe, the fastest man made object ever as it scoots near the Sun. This is incredible. I'm surprised the thing hasn't fried. Isn't that a most amazing piece of equipment, the Parker Solar Probe. Talk about it?
Speaker 6: It is and it's in an orbit that it takes it either through the corona and right down towards the photosphere, which is you know, these are some of the hottest places in the Solar System, and you know, I can spacecraft are very fairly lightly built, so it's this kind of tubular affair with this this solar shield that holds out in front of it. So you've got to keep it oriented properly because it's not surrounded by shielding. It's just it's like a night holding up a shield in a joustick tournament. And every time it does this pass near the Sun, it manages to survive and come out the other side, and the results have been really amazing. But when you think of you know, you see these temperatures and you think, how did they engineer that? It just it blows my mind.
Speaker 3: Technology imagination is what it is. But you're talking about an object, folks. This is pretty accurate. Over four hundred thousand miles an hour, I'll repeat it, four hundred thousand miles an hour makes the voyager probe as it's moving out of the deep space thirty five thirty eight thousand.
Speaker 6: Miles an hours.
Speaker 3: You know, that's incredible and it doesn't burn up into like a big cinder. That is totally incredible. As we talk about it, Rod, time is of course run out, always a sad moment as we talk about with you. Poyl Ebooks dot com is one of the locations. I appreciate you, my friend, and the best of success in all the new endeavors. Let's stay in touch and of course the listeners out there, we want to thank you for being part of the Doctor Sky experience in what we call a theater of the mind, a place where hopefully our goal is to learn something new each time you listen, and we talk about these great mysteries from astronomy, space, aviation, weather, celebrity guests many to come, and great stories of American exceptionalism. Thank you, Rod Pyle. Always a privilegent honor to have you here. And I want to thank our very first guest, retired the United States Air Force, Captain Ed Dwight, on his success of reaching the goal of being an astronaut. Thank you, Rod, appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Thanks Steve.
Speaker 3: We'll talk more about these subjects, but remind yourself, well will We will remind you that if you look into the northeast sky, maybe now where it's dark and you can go out of doors, take a look the beginnings in peak soon to come of the Percied meteor shower, one of the better meteor showers of the year. Why because this time the moon will be a it's new phase, giving friends on August twelfth, a total solar eclipse, albeit a brief one. People do get excited about that. The Perseed's again peaking. If you want to be out there for the peak night the night of August the twelfth into the morning of the thirteenth, the night of the thirteenth, midnight to sunrise on the fourteenth. I've watched it for over forty years. Sometimes it's a dribble, but sometimes it's leader literally a meteor storm. You never can tell with what's going on in the heavens, so meteors rain out of the northeast sky so much more. The email that you can send to me is just Drsky at WABC radio dot com, and folks, what we do now. Stay tuned to talk Radio seventy seven WABC for another sign of midnight as line'll takes you to the early morning. As we move toward these dog days of summer, the most amazing time of the year. We do like the temperatures sometimes, but here in Arizona are high today one hundred and sixteen degrees. Unfortunately, the humidity was rather high. Thanks to our helmsman Bill and Jackson for making sure that everybody out there has an opportunity to be heard and heard clearly. Thank you, Clear Skies, good health, exceptional health. Will see you next week with more interesting subject matter on the doctor Sky experience. Where on this powerhouse blowtorch signal, as we like to say proudly, Talk Radio seventy seven w ABC, Stay tuned,