Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today we continue in a series called Better Together. In this series, Rick takes us through First Corinthians chapter thirteen and shows us how to cultivate deep, meaningful relationships with the people around us. In just a few moments, we're going to tell you how you can get a copy of Pastor Rick's book called God's Power to Change Your Life. In it, you'll discover how God provides the power you need to take you from where you are to where you want to be. Find out more by going to Pastorick dot com, or by texting the word daily to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four while you listen to today's message, that's Pastorick dot com or the word daily to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with part. You have a message called why we need each Other?
Speaker 2: He Bruce ten.
Speaker 3: Let us not give up the habit of meeting together. Notice it's a habit, something you do all the time. Let us not give up the habit of meeting together. Instead, let us encourage one another, he says, you know, you're created for community, and I want you to encourage each other by meeting together.
Speaker 2: Now that verse, he's not talking.
Speaker 3: About what we're doing right now. This is not a community, folks. This is a crowd. It's a quite large crowd, okay. And you can't encourage each other here, you know, we can't. You can't even get to talk to very many people. There's just too many people. This can only be done in a small group.
Speaker 2: You know. Can you be in a crowd and be lonely? Sure? This last week I was in Manhattan.
Speaker 3: I had to go buy a coat for a TV show I was going to be on, and so I walked out by myself. I was in one hundred thousand people, but it still felt very lonely because I didn't know anybody. So it has nothing to do with the size. It's talking about getting together with people who encourage you. Would you write this down. Community is God's answer to loneliness. Community is God's answer to loneliness, and we all need a place where we can practice love.
Speaker 2: It's what the world needs. We need to learn how to love now.
Speaker 3: The Bible says that I've got to have other people in my life as I'm walking through life, I need other people to grow. Would you write that down? I can't grow without others. The Bible is very clear about this. I cannot grow without other people in my life. Why because life is about relationships, not about achievement. God is love and he wants me to learn to love him and love others. Those are the two greatest lessons in life.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The Bible gets very specific about this and one Corinthians fourteen. I love this in the message paraphrase, it's pretty clear. It says when you gather, When you gather, each one of you be prepared with something useful for all.
Speaker 2: Sing a hymn, teach a lesson, tell.
Speaker 3: A story, lead a prayer, provide an insight, take your turn, with no one person taking over.
Speaker 2: That way, you all learn from each other.
Speaker 3: Question does that sound like something we do here on Sunday morning?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, I don't stand up here and say, anybody got a poem? You know what happened to you this week? Who has a prayer request? Who learned something from God this week? Who needs to be prayer? And we're too big to do that. This can only happen in a small group. And that's why to be a healthy believer, you need large group worship and small group fellowship, temple courts and house to house. And that's why in our church we ask everybody to come on a weekend service and be in a small group. If you're only getting half of that, and you're only getting half of the benefit of this church, you need to walk through life in a small group of believers. Now, why we'll look at the next verse Phesians four. As each part talking about the body of Christ. As each part does its work, it helps the other parts grow. So Christ's whole body is healthy and growing.
Speaker 2: And read it with me. Full of love.
Speaker 3: That's what God wants in your life, and he wants for all of us. He wants us to be healthy and growing and full of love. And that's my prayer for you as your pastor. I want you to be healthy, and I want you to be growing, and I want you to be full of love.
Speaker 2: Now, there's only one way you can do that.
Speaker 3: You've got to get with other Christians who can walk through life with you. You see, you can't learn community without being in a community. Not a crowd, but in a community. The Bible says this in.
Speaker 2: One Peter four nine.
Speaker 3: Open your homes to each other without what complaining?
Speaker 2: H what's your complaint? What's your excuse for not opening up your own? Well, my home is dirty, Well clean it up.
Speaker 3: Okay, just clean it up, all right, listen, that's a real easy thing. Okay, Well my home isn't big enough. Can you put three people in it? Then you can have a group.
Speaker 2: The Bible says, where two or more gathered in my name, I'm there in the midst of them.
Speaker 3: You say, well, you know what I don't like my neighbors, Well, don't invite them. I'm not telling you to invite people you don't like. Invite the people you do like. You don't have to invite people. Invite your neighbor friends, invite your coworkers, your family.
Speaker 2: You don't just get some.
Speaker 3: People, he said, Well, nobody would really want to come to my house and study this?
Speaker 2: Oh really? Really?
Speaker 3: You see, everybody has a longing for belonging. Everybody deep in the human spirit is a longing for belonging. It's why the worst kind of punishment is solitary confinement. We're made for relationships. God wired us that way, and that's why people will join all kinds of stupid causes just because they want to belong. Listen, the people in your neighborhood would love to come to your house. Let me give you an example of this. Two years ago when we did forty days of Purpose, and I on the day we started, like today, I handed out a little card, a little invitation card, and I said, you know what, I want you to give this card to somebody that you know who doesn't go to church anywhere or doesn't have any knowledge of the love of God, and you invite them to your small group.
Speaker 2: And in one week you did this.
Speaker 3: In one week, we went from eight thousand people in small groups to twenty four thousand in small groups.
Speaker 2: Don't tell listen, your neighbors are more willing to come than you're willing to invite them. They are.
Speaker 3: So that's the first reason we need a group. We need each other because we need people to walk with us. Number two, I also need others to work with me. I need people to work with me. Did you know that the Bible says God puts you on earth to do a certain work that only you can do. Ephesians two ten says this God made us to do good works which he planned in advance for us to live our lives doing. Before you were even born, God decided the talents, he was going to give you, the natural abilities, he was going to give you the background. He even chose where you would be born, who your parents would be, when you would be born, and all of this because He has a purpose for your life. And part of that purpose is He has some work for you to do. Now, anytime you use your talents or your abilities to help somebody else, there's a word for that. It's called ministry or service. And all of us are ministers, not pastors. Ministers. What that means is when you use your gifts and what God wis you to be to help others, you're doing what God brought you to do.
Speaker 2: He says, these are your good works.
Speaker 3: Now, remember we've talked about this many times that life on earth is practice for eternity. You get one hundred years at the most on earth, you get trillions of years in heaven, and in heaven you're gonna do four things. And one of the things you're gonna do in heaven is you're gonna serve God. And so what God wants you to do while you're here on earth, spend some of that time practicing, practicing serving, and so he says, I want you to learn to serve. I want you to do these good works, but I don't want you to do them by yourself. You see, in heaven, when you get there, everybody's going to work, but we'll all each just have a little peace, so you'll never get tired. You're not gonna be overworked or overloaded in heaven because God will give you just a little peace to do, but everybody will do their part and it'll all get done. What happens here on earth, though, is you're worn out, You're exhausted, You're a burnout. Some of you came to church exhausted. Why because you're trying to do it all and you're trying to do it all by yourself.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at Pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: What does it take to become more loving, live more peacefully, develop patience, have self control, Pastor Rick says throughout all the years he's been a pastor, the number one question he's been asked is why can't I change? People want to change, but they're stuck. Maybe you feel that way too. In his book God's Power to Change Your Life, Rick lays the groundwork for personal transformation, then offers biblical insights and simple steps for ten areas of growth that can take you from where you are to where you want to be. This book connects you with the power to actually make the changes you long to make. And as you apply the truth of God's word by the power of His Spirit, your life will change. You'll move out of your rid and get on track with God's wonderful purposes for your life. And today, when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take the Hope of Jesus to people everywhere, We'll send you a copy of God's Power to Change Your Life. Just go to Pastororrick dot com right now to get your copy, or you can call eight hundred and six hundred five zero zero four, that's Pastorick dot com. Or call eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four and be sure to let us know which station you heard us on. Thank you so much, for your support.
Speaker 1: Now let's get back to today's lesson. Here on Pastor Rick's daily hope.
Speaker 3: You see in heaven when you get there, everybody's going to work, but we'll all each just have a little piece, so you'll never get tired. You're not gonna be overworked or overloaded in heaven because God will give you just a little piece to do, but everybody will do their part and it'll all get done. What happens here on earth, though, is you're worn out, you're exhausted, you're burnout. Some of you came to church exhausted. Why because you're trying to do it all, and you're trying to do it all by yourself, and that's why you're worn out. God never meant for you to go through life walking alone or working alone. You need to be in a relationship with others who help you get done what you need to do. Otherwise you're going to be worn out and fatigued all the time. Now, God tells us in the Bible why we're supposed to work together. Look at the next verse in Ecclesiastes. For two people are better than one because they get more done.
Speaker 2: Read it with me.
Speaker 3: Would you by working together. They get more done by working together. Now everybody knows this show is get more done as a team than you do as an individual. It's also a whole lot more fun. It's also less tiring, and you learn to cooperate together. There's all kinds of benefits to working together, you know. In the last twelve days, I was on a speaking tour on the East Coast, and I spoke in eleven different cities in twelve days, and it was up and down in a plane for the last twelve days. We started a week ago. On a week ago on Friday to Washington, d C. I flew to Washington, d C. Where I spoke at the Pentagon. Spoke twice there, once to a general's Bible study had sixty seven generals in it, and then another to the employees of the Pentagon. Then we left the Pentagon and we flew to Philadelphia, where we had meetings there. We went from Philadelphia to West Point where I spoke to the four thousand cadets at West Point, and then we went from West Point to New York City and a place after play. Well, I would have been worn out if I hadn't taken a team with me. We then went to Chattanooga, where one hundred and seventy churches in that one city did forty days of Purpose altogether. And it was citywide and had fifty thousand people going through it, and they put up billboards all over town it said got Purpose. And then we went to Nashville and I spoke about six thousand mothers of preschoolers there, and then Liberty University, and then I spoke at Annapolis the Naval Academy, and stopped by Billy Graham's house at High and came home.
Speaker 2: Now I would have been worn out.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have been here this weekend if I had had it all depended on me. That's just overwhelming, that kind of a schedule. But I took a team with me, and every time that plane hit the ground, each of us knew what we had to do. Nobody is good at everything. Would you agree with that? Nobody's good at everything? And so we need each other. And so you put people around you compensate for your weaknesses, who are strong in areas you're not good at. And I came home from that, I wasn't tired. I went I went to bed, got up next on th at six thirty and went back to work. Why because when you share together, it lightens the load. You know, when we were at West Point, they showed us a system that feeds four thousand cadets in fifteen minutes. Imagine that, and they do it three times a day, feed four thousand cadets in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: How in the world they do that. Everybody has a role, with butter.
Speaker 3: Just seeing if you're listening, everybody has a role to play. Everybody has a part, and it's all like clockwork.
Speaker 2: Bam bam bam.
Speaker 3: Everybody has a part, and if you do little bits of piece, it can all get done. The reason why you're exhausted you're trying to do it all yourself. You know, some people fall for what I call them Mother Teresa syndrome. And that's the idea that the lone person goes out to change the world all by themselves. That doesn't even Mother Teresa didn't do that. She had an army of people helping her. You've heard me say before, snowflakes are frail, but if enough of them stick together, they can stop traffic. Now, individually, I can't make that big a difference in the world, And individually you can't make that big difference in the world. But together, you know, in this church we got eighty two thousand snowflakes. That's a lot of snow, and that can make some significant difference. Together, we can make a difference if everybody does just a little, a little would you write this down? Community is God's answer to fatigue. If you're tired, it's because you don't have the relationships built in to support you that you need in what God has called you to do. As have you ever watch on TV or maybe the movie Witness where Amish build a barn together.
Speaker 2: They do it in a day. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: I mean just you know, the whole community shows up and where there was nothing, at the end of the day, there's a barn standing what everybody has a little part to play.
Speaker 2: Now. The Bible says this in Galatians six'.
Speaker 3: Ten every time we get the, chance let us work for the benefit of all THAT'S i need others to work with, me starting with the people closest to us in the community of. Faith what's the community of, faith it's our church. FAMILY i need people to walk with me through, life AND i need people to work with me through. Life BUT i also number, THREE i need others to watch.
Speaker 2: Out for me in, life to watch out for.
Speaker 3: Them i'm talking about people who defend, me who'll stand up for, me who'll protect, me who will help you keep me staying on, Track who will you, know watch my? Backside who'll warn? Me we all need this because we all have blind. Spots The bible says In filippians two, four look out for one another's, interests not just your. Own if you want a counterculture, verse that's, it because In, america the general idea is it's all about. Me it's all about my, needs my interest my, wants my, desires my. Ambitions the rest you forget. YOU i live for, myself forget everybody. Else this one, says don't just look out for your own, interests look out for others. Too have you ever seen these neighborhood watch? Signs sometimes you see them out in an. Area that's a sign of. Community it, says we watch out for each. Other, here we're looking out for each. Other my guess, is if you went on vacation this summer and you were gone for a week or maybe two, weeks you probably told your neighbor you were going to be. Gone they, said you, Know i'm going to be gone for a couple. Weeks would you kind of keep an eye out on my? House would you kind of watch out look out for my? Stuff because we all want our stuff looked out, for and that's a good thing to have your stuff looked, after watched out. For but my question is not is anybody watching out for your? Stuff is anybody watching out for your? Soul because your soul is a whole lot more important than your. Stuff is there anybody in your life who helps you stay on track? Spiritually is there anybody who loves you enough to, Say i'm not gonna let you get, Discouraged i'm not gonna let you drop. Out i'm not gonna let, you you, know get. Tired i'm here with. You let me support. You and who encourages you in your spiritual. Life if you don't have anybody like, that that's.
Speaker 2: Sad.
Speaker 3: See the fact is we all have blind spots things we can't. See you, KNOW i grew this beard this. Summer and then my Wife kay, said you, know, honey if you're gonna have the, beard you gotta get it rid of the flat hair. Thing, Okay so she came up with this little spikey do, here you, know like you. Know the only problem IS i can't see the back and it sticks up straight on the. Back, okay SO i don't know if it's sticking up or is it right? NOW i don't, Know, OKAY i, mean So i'm not making this up last night before and again this. Morning i'm getting ready to come. Church i'm starting to walk out the. Door, okay go.
Speaker 2: STOP i, thought what DID i? Do she's fixing a little.
Speaker 3: You, know doing a little. THING i would have never known. That you, know you get a you get a tail light, Out you're never gonna know. It somebody's got to look out for. You somebody's gotta say you got a tail light.
Speaker 2: Out.
Speaker 3: Now The bible says That hebrews thirteen to, one keep being concerned about each. Other as The lord's followers should we should care about each.
Speaker 2: Other we're, Family we're In god's, family.
Speaker 3: And as brothers and, SISTERS i should defend, you and you should defend. Me AND i help you stay on, track and you help me stay on. Track now it says keep being concerned circle the word keep that means not just once you're you're vigilant in a, war everybody has to take time on sentry duty while everybody else is, sleeping somebody stays awake to make sure the enemy isn't crashing. In, now since nine to, eleven we've all been a whole lot more vigilant for each other with terrorism and things like. That but did you know that you have an enemy far more destructive than. Terrorists oh, yeah you have a personal. Enemy and he hates your guts and he wants to defeat. You his name Is, satan And satan wants to mess up your. Life satan wants to bring problems in your. Life satan wants to ruin your. Relationships he wants to hurt you as bad as he. Can, now why would he do? That because he can't Hurt. God See, satan what he wants to do is he wants to Hurt, god but he. Can't when he can't hurt, somebody what do you?
Speaker 2: Do you go after their?
Speaker 3: Children if you couldn't get to, me you'd go after my wife or my. Kids satan can't Hurt, god so what does he? Do he tries to Hurt god's children and he doesn't care what it'll, take how badly you get Hurt he wants to mess you up, anyway and the moment you wake up in the, morning he's already been plotting how to get you to waste that, day to blow it with anger or worry or fear or get or shame or depression or any other resentment or. Bitterness he'll just try to get you all messed. Up i've been reading this nine to eleven report from The. Commissions interesting, reading but AS i read, IT i, thought what are the parallels here between our battle our spiritual battle Against? Satan now listen to. This listen to this. Parallel we learned about an. Enemy this is what the committee, reported who is, sophisticated, patient, disciplined and.
Speaker 2: Lethal that's exactly what the devil.
Speaker 5: Is this Is Pastor Rick's daily.
Speaker 1: Hope if you've missed any part of this, message or if you'd like to find out more About Pastor Rick warren and this, ministry just Visit pastorick dot, com where you can listen online. Anytime That's Pastor rick with two rs inthemiddle dot, com and be sure to sign up For rick's free daily email Devotional while you're. There rick will be back to close out our time. Today but, first what does it take to become more, loving live more, peacefully develop patients have self. Control Pastor rick, says throughout all the years he's been a, pastor the number one question he's been asked is why CAN'T i? Change people want to, change but there's stock and maybe you feel that way. Too in his Book God's power To Change Your, Life rick lays the groundwork for personal, transformation then offers biblical insights and simple steps for ten areas of growth that you can take from where you are to where you want to. Be this book connects you with the power to actually make the changes you long to. Make and as you apply the truth Of god's word by the power Of His, spirit.
Speaker 5: Your life will.
Speaker 1: Change you'll move out of your rut and get on track With god's wonderful purposes for your. Life and, today when you give a gift to Daily hope to help take the hope Of jesus to people, everywhere will send You Pastor rick's book Called God's power To Change Your Life to say. Thanks just go To pastorick dot com right now to get your, copy or you can call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and. Four That's pastorick dot com or eight, hundred six, hundred five thousand and, four and be sure to let us know which station you hurt us. On thanks so much for your. Support Here's Pastor rick with a word of.
Speaker 3: Encouragement you, know if you accidentally cut off your, finger it wouldn't live for very long on its. Own it has to be reconnected to your, body and it has to be reconnected as quickly as. Possible now here's WHAT i want you to do this. WEEK i want you to get connected to The body Of. Christ and here's WHAT i mean by. That if you're not involved in A bible believing church Where god's word is, taught THEN i want you to go find. ONE i cannot overstate the importance of you having a local church. Family every believer is meant to be a. Belonger you need to belong to a Local body Of. Christ otherwise you're like that. Finger you're cut, off, detached and you don't have the lifeblood flowing through.
Speaker 2: You, now if you need.
Speaker 3: Help finding a, church just email me And i'll send you a tool called how to find A. Church thanks for listening. Today you KNOW i love, You you KNOW i care for, you And i'm praying for you.
Speaker 1: Be sure to join us again next time as we look Into god's word for our daily. Hope this program is sponsored By Daily Hope ministries and your generous financial support