Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: So we've got four games this evening and of course four more tomorrow, and then we'll get Saturday and Sunday to determine which teams are going to be dancing on to the final four. I'm not kidding you when I say it. The years where Louisville was dead, that wasn't fun, but it did. It did make it to where I forced myself to get used to enjoying everything that comes with the tournament without you know, needing a team in the mix still dancing to enjoy it. And I'm sure there's a lot of people who are are down in the dumps about their team losing, Louisville fans maybe, and it's just not as interesting to you. And I get it because for the most part, when it comes to everything about the instablea tournament like before, it's going to be bad to say, Austin, but I think you get it. Before gambling, like before, I was somebody that did enjoy betting on college basketball. I mean, when I thought of the tournament, ninety nine point nine of the nine percent of the things that came to mind were about my team, like moments in the tournament, of the good that comes with it, the stress and all that. How sad it is when you lose that kind of stuff. But for the last few years, I mean, even without rooting interest because Louisville again wasn't involved, they didn't make the tournament for six years, I still feel the same way as I did ten years ago, which is that the instablea tournament, March madness, it's the best thing in sports. And I know that it'll never get the attention that like the NFL does, but it does make me happy to know that, even if you're not necessarily a big college basketball super fan like a lot of us are around here, you know that the dance is a magical thing and we only have two more weekends of it, so I'm going to enjoy it. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us on a is it Thursday? Yes, Thursday, It's a Thursday afternoon, And also appreciate all of you who keep Thornton's in mind and make them a part of you. Of your weekly routine. I don't know if it's a day to day thing, but you know, for me, I don't go every day. They probably would kick me. I mean they're close to now, probably saying like, all right, look, we get it, we know your partner and you love Thornton's, but like, you know, go away. They never do that though, because they're great partners. But anyways, I go probably two three times a week, and it's usually, you know, when I need to either just stop in and get something really quick or whenever I need to put gas in my car. And every time I fill up my car, I save at least three cents per gallon. Sometimes I save up to twenty five cents per gallon because of that membership that I have as a Refreshing Awards member. I mean, you can kind of tell, like I'm getting pretty good at it, or I can just tell the way somebody's strutting, the way somebody's carrying themselves body language BD. There, I say, I can just tell that that's a Refreshming Awards member right there. I can just tell is that are a freshman War's membership and your wile are you just happy to see me? You shop at Thornton You come here off them? I'm ridiculous, aren't. I will say, at least twice in the last you know, year or so, I have seen people in Thornton's who have said, so, you really do come here a lot. I'm like, yeah, it's real, it's real, baby. This was a game the last time. The last time I was probably it was a little bit after Christmas. I guess I was in there in a it was cold, cold morning because god knows we had a cold January, and I was getting probably getting my little kids, uh there was snow on the ground for sure, but I was getting I was getting my kids there their fist freeze, their slushies, uh, to start their day because that's such a healthy breakfast that I give them utrients. And there was somebody in there that that just funny seeing you here. And then I realized, like they understood that, you know, I'm the Thornton's guy. At least you know, they did joke. Yeah, and uh, then you know they he saw that I was actually also getting the slushies like I talk about. And you know, I don't know if you thought it was all a bit like it wasn't real, But no, I was gonna say, what you see is what you get, but this is radio, therefore you don't see it. But what you see out out in the wild with me, it is really not a whole lot different than what you hear about on these airwaves. All right, if you guys want to join us, YU can five ooh two five seventy nine hundred is the number to give us a call. You can also you can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five oh two four to three eight ninety seventy three. Thanks to this this person on the text line earlier. This was Derek who pointed this out, and he's right. You know, I was talking earlier, but I was complaining about having to miss the first Well, I mean, I'm gonna miss it. I'm gonna have it on my phone, I'm gonna keep up with it. But my son has t ball practice at seven fifteen tonight, so that'll be during the first half of the first two games. And it's really not a big deal. But you know, like if they decided let's not have practice tonight, I wouldn't fight him on it. But anyways, I was just talking about how when it comes to baseball like I don't. It just doesn't do much for me. And I've at this point in my life if I was ever going to get into baseball, I probably would have already done it. And my wife, you know, she's she's telling me that I'm only bitching about him having practice because it's baseball, and I told her, look, it would be overkill if he played any sport. I think at this age to have an hour practice twice a week for a league that they don't even keep scoring, Like, I'm just gonna say it out loud, they're not really playing baseball, like they're not. So anyways, I'll move on. But the person on the text line, Derek, said, aren't you the guy who umpired a celebrity game and called it second plate?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got asked to be a guest umpire for the Chris Mack softball game that they had years ago. And I think I did a good job as an umpire because I really didn't have to do anything. But when when you know, talking through kind of like where I would be on the field at times, instead of calling it second base, I called it second plate, and that was like that was an unintentional way for me to really really let you guys know just how little I know about the sport of baseball. So thank you for reminding me of that, Derek, I do love that. A lot of the listeners, the things that really stick in their memory the longest, more often than not, are just things that stand out for them realizing, Wow, this guy really is a piece of work. He really is a dumbass. Guilty. All right? This text, this is from somebody who's never texted him before, so they didn't leave their name. And that's okay, says Nick, as a Kentucky fan. You telling me how confident you are in my Cats has me actually worried. I really do think we're the better team. But it's gonna be tough to beat them three times.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Thank you for saying it's going to be tough to beat them three times and not saying, well, you know what they say, it's tough to beat a team. I mean, still no evidence. Have yet to see anybody give me any evidence that says beating a team three times is hard to do just because it's the third time. Beating a good team three times is hard to do once, or beating I'm beating good team once is hard to do. Doing it twice is hard to do. Doing it a third time hard to do. So like, it's not because it's the third time, and these teams that get beat twice they have these magical powers in the third meeting against a team that's beat them. It's just because it's it's you know, it's like, let me give you another overused thing that people say in sports that really is dumb. Win is a win. You all heard me talk about this before. Anytime you hear a fan, coach, play, or whatever say, well, you know, a win is a win. I feel like in every instance, if not every instance got to be like ninety nine point nine percent of the time, they're saying that because that's all they can say. That wouldn't be you know, acknowledging that they were lucky to win and they didn't play well, right like they survived, which sometimes it's all about surviving. But a win is a win, Like, who's questioning you? Who said it's not? Who told you that a win?
Speaker 4: Was it a win?
Speaker 2: Like it's such a useless waste of words that it's really just deflection from acknowledging that you were lucky to win and you don't like saying that because that, you know, maybe that's not as fun to say. But anyways, we'll move on. But back to when it comes to the Kentucky game. I just think that when you look at what Tennessee and Kentucky have done this year, like take out the head to head matchups, which again I mean those count, Like Kentucky beat them in Knoxville and beat them at Up, so you know, those do count. I'm not saying like we should ignore those, but I'm just saying, hypothetically speaking, if these teams had not played each other this year and their schedules, their results, their resumes were the exact same outside of those two games. I mean, I guess you could still say that Tennessee would be the favorite, but I mean, you know, their wins, I'm not sure how. I mean, again, they were able to they beat Auburn, which was a big win for him. In the SEC tournament, they did beat they did beat Alabama, and that's a good win. So I guess technically Tennessee has better wins. But you know, Kentucky, the only team in the SEC that they didn't beat that they got swept by is Alabama and Alabama's really good. But when you look at the Superior League, that is the SCC, the top tier of that league, which, by the way, some of the best teams in the country. Kentucky has wins against Tennessee twice. They have wins they beat Florida once, So you know, I think it's a pretty even matchup when it comes to personnel, and I just think they're better. Like it's not that I'm here to say that Kentucky will win because they got lucky with this opponent in the sweet sixteen, because Tennessee's not any good. Trust me, That's not what I'm saying. But I just think this is a match up that there's not a whole lot that Tennessee can do. That would that would that would make me feel like, Okay, how how are we going to account for that? They're gonna they're you know, there's no personnel for Tennessee that I think you really have to be like worried about that. You you just can't contain. I Mean, the best player, in my opinion is is not z I mean, Ziegler is their most consistent guy, and he's good defensively, but like I don't think he's had like a sensational season. The biggest threat is Linear and he can get hot, and he's done that many times. Uh in the tournament. I mean he's done. I'm sorry, he's done that many times this year. I mean he had was it twenty against UCLA? He's he had twenty against Auburn when they beat him in the SEC tournament. So I mean, he's he's They're they're talented. But maybe the reason why I just have a hard time seeing Tennessee winning is because of what stood out in a major way both times they played, and it was the fact that Tennessee didn't just like try to play Kentucky at their at their game. It's like they they tried to be an exaggerated version of what Kentucky wants to be. And I'll never understand that. So three point shooting, obviously, Tennessee's not a bad three point shooting team. Kentucky actually think they're one of those teams where I'm sure their percentage is not bad. Like, let me pull it up here, Kentucky is a team, is a three point shooting team. They shoot at thirty seven point four percent. That's good. That's good. That's a good three point shooting team Tennessee. Let's see where they are just from Yeah, they're thirty four, so I'd say that that's that's probably like those numbers again, they are what they are. I'm not trying to say that they're they're skewed, But to me, Kentucky's a team that is more dangerous than their percentage actually tells you, because there's not going to be many guys that play meaningful minutes for Kentucky that you can leave open and if they make it, you're shocked. Like teams are gonna dare Garrison to shoot it. Same thing as as the big fellow Amari Williams. The hell even Garrison's made some threes this year, I feel like, so whenever you go back and look at the box score when Kentucky, let's go to the game that was in Lexington, when Kentucky, this is the second meeting between these two, Kentucky shot twenty four threes, made twelve of them. If you're making twelve threes on a fifty percent clip, I don't care who you are, you're gonna be tough to beat. And Tennessee lost that game by double digits, lost it by eleven Tennessee. In that game, they shot three of eighteen sixteen percent, So again, that's way off their average. But I mean, I don't think they should be shooting eighteen threes because I just don't think that's how they're built. Now, lan Air went oh for seven. That's rare. Kentucky should probably consider them selves fortunate that he went over seven, because I would imagine he's probably not had a worse shooting night than that at any point this season. But let's go back to the other game when they played, and this is the one that really was just like it's malpracticed by Rick Barnes. He's a good coach. I don't think many would doubt that. But if you've got your team who is not built like Kentucky's team is, and I don't mean like that, you know they're not as good Tennessee's deservingly the favorite. Tennessee has a better seat for a reason. But you're just to me. I don't think it's arrogance. Maybe it is, I don't know, but why you would go into a game and maybe this wasn't the plan. It wouldn't shock me if it, you know, if it wasn't the plan, because I can't imagine it would be the plan. But when they played in Knoxville, Kentucky, by the way, same number, twelve of twenty four from three fifty percent. Again, that's that's another night where if you're making twelve threes and you did it at fifty percent, that's a good recipe to be successful. Tennessee in that game they made eleven threes, but you know how many they shot forty five? Did you hear me? Forty five three pointers were attempted. So any team that is shooting nearly double the amount of threes that Kentucky is shooting, you're just asking to get beat. And somehow they nearly won. Kentucky won that one by five. So that is the that sticks out in a major way when you look at the last two times these teams played. And if you're wondering, because I'm not, because I think Kentucky fans and I'm sure they know that number and they know that they shot really well from three and Tennessee didn't in both those games. But that's why I think if you're Kentucky, you're thinking like, well, even though the three point line was a factor and we were good in that regard, and they weren't. I'm not even really sure, like we played that well and yet we still won, because maybe you did play well, but you also did it really shorthanded. When they beat Tennessee, I'm pretty sure when they beat him in Knoxville, they didn't have you know, Jackson Robinson did play in that game, but Lamont Butler didn't. And when they played in Lexington, I'm sorry. When they played in Knoxville, yeah, Robinson played in Lamont, Butler didn't. When they played in uh In, where's it A just had it pulled up here? When they played in Lexington at Rup Kentucky didn't have Robinson. Butler played but only twenty two minutes. And I don't I don't think. I think he might have got hurt again and didn't come back in so they shot it well. But like if I'm facing Kentucky and I'm scouting as far as trying to figure out what I want to do, because I would I would assume. And I've never been a coach before, but you obviously you know you worry about your team as far as what you're gonna do, how you're gonna execute, but you also have to understand, Okay, let's make sure we're not playing this game that is, you know, in a style that favors what they want to do, where we may be at a disadvantage, especially when you're playing a good team that you know, like, hey, we're pretty even, but if we play the game at their pace and do what they want to do, they're better at that than us. So you know, like, maybe I'm just so blinded by the fact I watched Tennessee lose both of these games, and I don't feel like Kentucky did anything crazy. I just have a hard time seeing Tennessee winning. I'm not going to bet on Kentucky money line because gross, I wouldn't do that. But if you lose to Kentucky at any point and you say to yourself, well, you know, they shot fifty percent from three, that's a you problem, Like you don't just chalk that up? Is what are you going to do? Because Kentucky is a team that every night they're clearly not shooting it at fifty percent from three, because that's almost impossible. They're shooting at thirty seven percent. But if you ever end up in a game at the end where they did shoot fifty percent and a lot of those looks that they got were clean looks in rhythm and they make them. You can't chalk it up as bad luck. That's what they do. That is I mean again to go back to Creighton, like when Creighton buried Louisville and put up a huge lead nineteen to two run, I think it was they were doing it not because they were pulling shots out of the rear end, maybe a couple here and there, but like Louisville was taking quick shots, turning it over themselves carelessly. And that led to some Creighton guys, Ashworth and the other wing that they had that lit us up when they're when they're catching it and ready to rip in rhythm and they got you know, maybe they're not wide open, but they've got you know, they got they got enough daylight to get a clean look and they make it. Don't be surprised, Like, don't chalk it up as what are you going to do? They're shooting. They're shooting out there out their rear end. It's it's no, that's that's what they do. And if they like when somebody is able to, I guess hold you accountable for not stopping something that that you know is what they do. Like, that's a you problem. I'm surprised we haven't seen much movement in any of these lines. I guess there's not a whole lot that changes right from the uh round of thirty two to the sweet sixteen. Right, these teams are who they are. I guess maybe with Arkansas, I thought we'd see a little bit of movement because theero is able to play and it sounds like he's going to go, But I think he's on like a minutes restriction. Which if he's on a minute restriction, what does that tell you he's not at a one hundred percent. And if he's not at a hundred percent and you've clearly been able to play well without him, Like I wouldn't put somebody out there who may be a liability because he's clearly playing not at a one hundred percent. So wouldn't shock me if, like the whole do theerro thing is just out there because they want to keep Texas Tech on their toes or something. I don't know. All right, quick break, we'll come back here on the other side. Keep it rolling along. As though we continue to get set, we're just now, you know, under a few hours away from the Sweet sixteen. We've got some cool nil deals that have come through for some of these teams that are still playing in the tournament. I'd say Derek Queen, the freshman big man for Maryland who wit the game winner against Colorado State. I mean, he's been sensational all year, but obviously his game winner, what he said afterwards got him a lot of attention, and it also earned him an endorsement. So we'll talk about that and a lot more right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 2: With schools now having to share revenue with student athletes starting next year, right a twenty million dollar a little bit more than twenty million dollars they're going to have to pay out to student athletes. I thought that would make it to where coaches would would have a little bit longer life at their job even if they weren't having success because the big buyouts. But it's been really the opposite. I think what's happened is that because you can so quickly change things with the portal and with with with money, it's led to schools realizing, yeah, we've seen enough. There's maybe a scenario where this ends up over time working out. But I you know, if you don't really believe it and you've not seen a whole lot of evidence that you know, things are gonna be good. I mean it sounds at little bit harsh and it's really cutthroat to just you know, cut ties, but like if you know, you know, right, like that's why even if Kenny Payne would have won a lot more games than he did, do we really ever think like that was gonna be Like, in fact, I say this sincerely, and I've said it here and there over the last couple of years. Really, I mean, I guess really since he was officially let go is when it really you know, I was able to say it because he was let go, but he was very consistent from the beginning. That made it to where in two years it's quite clear like yet we're not doing this anymore. This was a big mistake, maybe one of the worst hires ever. So anyways, these schools now realize, you know, we don't have we don't have to wait. We can go get somebody else and they can start from scratch, and who knows, maybe they end up having a lot of success right out of the gate, just like Mark Pope did at Kentucky this year, and obviously Pat Kelsey did did the same thing. So also the likelihood of you salvaging it when it's tough becomes much more difficult, right, So, like maybe they do believe in a coach, but they just know he's got no momentum and they're coming off a really bad season, and in IL money is not great because of all those things, right, just because the success wasn't there. Well, now, if that's the case, players just leave, right So starting fresh really makes a lot of sense because again, when when you've got a bad year, that likely ends up in less money or being harder to get money to come in for an IL well, and players they don't want to be a part of a bad team, so they'll they're going to look to leave. But I feel like the carousel was pretty active. There has been pretty active. I mean, I guess if you're still coaching right now, like in the tournament, hard for me to think you're going to be fired. So jobs that have opened up because somebody got fired, Like, I don't think anybody's going to get fired that hadn't got fired yet. But one job that has now opened because of all the movement that has taken place in these coaching moves is New Mexico. And here are a couple of names apparently in the mix for the New Mexico job, Tom Crean Bob Huggins. If you had to pick one of those two guys, I want to believe if Tom Crean didn't have such an abysmal stretch at Georgia when he had, you know, a really talented team including Anthony freaking Edwards, I would be all in on Crean to coach at a plays like that, because I don't think Tom Crean was ever at any point viewed as like a bad coach. He was a good coach. I mean, he did succeed at Indiana, He just he had his best teams fall short in the tournament and then it kind of run its course. But even after, you know, he got to the sweet sixteen as a one seed in back to back years, actually didn't get a one seed that second year, but he went to back to back sweet sixteen's, which, hey, that didn't sound like something really worth bragging about, but that was a big deal for Indiana. And then they have a down year after that, and then he goes back to the sweet sixteen. I believe it was in twenty sixteen whenever they knocked off that Kentucky team that had Jamal Murray. And then the next year they were bad. I think the year after that they were bad. So they moved on and hired Archie Miller and that was, you know, a mistake. But Crane then went to Georgia and it was it'll go down as one of the worst stretches any SEC basketball coaches had. I mean, that was terrible. So maybe he does land on his feet somewhere, but I would still go Crean over Bob Pupkins. I just don't. I mean, to me, it seems like too big of a risk to hire, to hire Bob Huggins, But that's just me, all right. So with Kevin Willard, I found myself being more fascinated by this story than I would have ever expected because the way he's answering questions or you know, deflecting, not answering questions, Like he did a radio interview and was pretty open about how he doesn't just want to hear, Hey, we're going to do this, and do this for the basketball program. He wants it in its contract that his program will get the resources needed to succeed. And obviously the ad who he was talking with initially is now left to go to SMU. And I would say, in most instances, coaches would just coach and not talk about it, and if they were asked about it, they would just say, look, I'm focused on the Sweet sixteen. And he's done that, like he was asked. He was asked about the whole situation at the press conference a couple of days ago, and he listened, and I thought he was about to give, you know, a real answer, but instead he just started talking about how good Florida was and how it's going to be to guard Walter Clayton junior. So he's been back and forth as far as just, you know, does he want to talk about it or like he talks about it when he wants to, and whenever it's a press conference to talk about the game, he doesn't really want to go there, which is fine, Like he can do whatever he wants. And I think what's made this such an interesting thing to follow, and I know I'm not alone. I mean, I think it's been one of the bigger storylines in the tournament the last couple of days, because it's just unusual for a coach to be at a place like Maryland in the Big ten, in the sweet sixteen, and there's worry that, like he hasn't signed his contract yet, why won't he resign? Why doesn't he want to be here? And Villanova is not as good of a job. There's no I mean, there's just no, there's no chance. It's not even close to as good of a job as Maryland because of and I know at some point we're gonna have to stop looking at a good job based off of how many championships they've won, because although that shouldn't be ignored completely, that doesn't help you.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: In the previous world, if a program has won a bunch of national champsmpionships and had a lot of success, that would really be like that, that would have that that's how the rich got richer in the previous world. Well, now it's all about money Maryland not Maryland. But Villanova's got two titles in the last ten years, which is two more than the vast majority of college basketball. Right, but that means nothing. You can't go recruit players right now and tell them, well, you should come here because we're a championship program. One because like, even if Jay Wright was still there and he didn't have money, he'd have a tough time getting really good players. Because now money is a huge component in the decision as far as where you're going to play out of high school or where you're gonna transfer to. And is anybody given any thought to the fact that you know, maybe, just maybe Jay Wright got out and retired as this new world was was forming because he realized he maximized everything you could possibly do at a place like Villanova, and that he knew that now that money was needed as far as raising it to pay your players with nil like he just knew that he had no there was no scenario they'd be able to compete with the top programs. I mean, I think he probably was, you know, realized he had nothing left to prove. He was pretty content. But John Rosstein had a really good breakdown yesterday on one of his social media pages that really described the Nova job in the Nova history to where they're good times under Jay Wright and Rossie mah was it what is his name?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I just had it on the tip of my tongue. The Villanova coach who won a title before Jay Wright, Raleigh Massamino. I think that's his name. Yeah, I mean he he was somebody that also just was able to I don't want to act like you're you're working with like a low major that has like no resources anything like that, but like Nova for a program that does have now three titles. Other programs that have two or more have way better resources than Villanova, and that stuff matters now more than it ever has. So if they don't get Jay right, which I just I'm sorry, if they don't get Kevin Willer, which I don't think they're gonna get, I just have a hard time thinking he would walk away. Look, if there was a different job open, like a different job in the Big ten and the SEC, then I think he would go. But I just think going to Villanova. Clearly you can find a lot worse jobs than that. But the things he's complaining about not getting at Maryland, he's gonna have a much tougher time getting those things at Villanova. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. We'll have our weekly chat with the one and only mister Jeff Milby, and we'll keep this thing rolling along on a Thursday. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, coffee and Company rolling along, wrapping up the four o'clock out. We're here on a Thursday afternoon, and it is now time for our weekly chat with the one and only mister Jeff Melby. Jeff, how are you doing today? Brother?
Speaker 3: Thanks for good next, things are good?
Speaker 4: If this is coffee and company, does that make me the company you are?
Speaker 2: But make yourself at home. Don't consider yourself a guest here, consider yourself. I mean, you're now a regular with us, so therefore you're you know, you're you're part of the crew.
Speaker 4: So but yes, well, I already took my shoes off and they're up on the coffee table.
Speaker 3: Love it. I'm feeling mighty comfortable, my friend. Love it.
Speaker 2: Good stuff. So I know, last time we talked, the club was getting set for the second second match of the season. Obviously that one didn't didn't appear to go too well. That was a two to zero loss to BAYFC. Talk us through sort of, I guess how that one played out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, difficult night, certainly difficult night for Racing Louisville. First West Coast road trip of the year, first road trip of the year period to go out to BAYFC, which is in the Bay area San Jose, California. They had fourteen thousand I think fourteen seven hundred.
Speaker 3: Was the number. It was a lowed environment.
Speaker 4: Players talked about it afterwards. They just weren't quite ready for it, if we're being honest, if they were being honest, And they gave up two goals in the first half, one on a free kick that Katie Lund, the goalkeeper for Racing Louisville, was able to get her hands to it, but you couldn't keep it out.
Speaker 3: And then the second.
Speaker 4: Goal, honestly might be the goal of the year, might be one of the goals of the year. Per Bay Their player Lima took it about sixty yards at her feet, running all the way down the field and blasted it from about twenty yards out into the top corner. I mean, just really a sensational goal for her and Racing Louisville. Despite having a better second half in that game than they did in the first half, they certainly improved as the game went on, but they couldn't dig themselves out of that deficit and it was a difficult doubting. But that's this league, man, I mean, fourteen teams in the league. There's a lot of parody.
Speaker 3: You got to have it every.
Speaker 4: Night if you're going to compete in this league, and it just wasn't racing Louisville nights. Now they'll turn the page. They've got a real opportunity this weekend at Chicago. Then next week is an international break, so the players who represent their various national teams will head off to play with their national teams. The rest of the players will have a little bit of a break next weekend, and then the big Thunder game coming up on April twelfth is the next opportunity after this weekend at Chicago. So a very important game this weekend to make sure they get the mojo back in the right direction heading into that important Thunder over Louisville game.
Speaker 2: I know in previous seasons there's been a lot of representation on the roster with players that do represent their country. What does that look like this year with the roster as far as players that are going to be away for that break.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we still got plenty of international players on this team, still lots of top quality talent from around the world. Those rosters are being announced right now. So there are a few players that we expect that will be called up to the national teams that it hasn't been announced yet so far. Jeanine Sonis, who is from Canada, won a gold medal with Canada back in the twenty twenty Olympics, won a bronze medal with Canada earlier in her career as well. She's been called up to the Canadian national team for this international window. And then Elli pickI Yamsa, who plays for Finland, has also been called up. But we expect three or four other players to also be called up for their national teams. Angela Baron is a center back, doesn't play much for Racing, but she's a member of the Colombian national team, a player that I would expect gets called up. And then Ari Borgius, who is the starter for Racing Louisville Is she plays for Brazil as well, so she's expected to be called up. That's not official, but I.
Speaker 3: Would be surprised if she weren't called up this window.
Speaker 4: So that's a look at it. And then obviously we talk about the US national teamers on this team, Mscars most recently being capped. That's what they say when you get called up to the national team, being passed by the national team. Taylor Flint also has played for the national team in the last three years. Savannah de Mello as well as we know. So we'll see if one of those three gets or actually, as we know now, the national team put out the roster and neither of those three got called up this window, but it'll be an opportunity for them going forward to continue to be involved with that national team. All young players that have bright features there so certainly lots of international talent on the roster.
Speaker 2: Jeff Bilby's our guest joting us here from Racing Louisville FC. So one of the things we talked about last week was the fact that you know that the chip on the shoulder can certainly be something that this club here in Louisville can embrace and fans can embrace it as well. And I kind of feel like that's something our city has has grown accustomed to doing. But one of the things I wanted to ask you is that you know when it comes to maybe players not deciding to play here and wanting to go elsewhere, Like it's not just about where you where you reside. It's it's a lot of times about you know, your livelihood, money, you know, that kind of stuff. So I guess my question is with the roster this year. I know there's there's some that have been here longer than just this season. There's some players that that that are new. What have you gathered as far as how they view Louisville Because I feel like the last couple of years, whenever we would we would we would talk racing Louisville, I would hear about how those that weren't from Louisville that had really no clue what they were getting into when they signed to join the club, they find themselves really loving this city, this you know, the culture here and even though it is sort of a you know, it's it's it's an upstart club, expansion club compared to some other clubs within the league. I just I think one of the things that could really and has I believed, helped the growth as far as fans getting out and really just enjoying this club. The soccer and of course getting to know the team. Is that if you are an outsider and you're here and this is your new home, and you like us, and you seem to really enjoy Louisville, like that can go a long way. I'm just curious. Is that still a thing to where those that came here knowing, Hey, all I know is this is my new job and I'm going to play soccer, But then it seems like they end up really loving this city too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they absolutely do.
Speaker 4: That is still very much true with this group of players this year. We do have a lot of returning players. I think it was about seventy five or eighty percent of the roster last year coming back, but the players that signed in the offseason, the rookies they brought in, and then when they're recruiting other players from whether it be American players or international players, selling the city of Louisville is a big part of their pitch. Bevianz and the coaching staff when they're on these calls with players trying to say like, hey, we have an opportunity for you here in Louisville. Obviously they talk about soccer, right, they talk about the tactics and the X's and o's and here's our playing style, and here's how we see you fitting in with us, and all that on the field stuff. But I would say like fifty percent of the calls that they have at the time, they spend on these calls and saying like, hey, this, this is what the city of Louisville is, because it's just in the world of soccer. It's a little bit of an unknown even for American players in the soccer world. And repeatedly, you're exactly on it, Nick. Repeatedly, these players come to Louisville not really knowing what to expect. You know, they maybe have seen the Kentucky Derby. They you know, we end up telling them about Bourbon a little bit and they're like, oh, okay, that's that's cool. Then they come here and and many of them love it. Most of them love it. I mean, like Savannah de Mello is the best example, right, She's from California, played at USC was drafted here, and she said recently, we did a Q and A with the season ticket members a couple of weeks ago, and she said, I really had no idea what Louisville was, and when I came here, it quickly became home and she owns a home here now.
Speaker 3: She definitely has roots here. Other players have roots here as well, and they all.
Speaker 4: Will tell you that they love it here once they get here. They don't they just don't know, I mean to expect, right, And again, this is what I was telling you last week. I mean, in the world of professional soccer on this level, Louisville's kind of the outside of the group, right, I mean, players know what to expect them to go to Chicago, Well, they know what to expect them they go to La they know to expect when they go to San Diego. But Louisville's a little bit off the beaten path, so to speak. But but you're absolutely right. The players for racing Louisville when they come here, so often you will hear them say like, wow, I didn't know what to expect, but I love it here. And I'll tell you, I think that they are very very proud to represent this city on this national stage, taken on those big markets like I just mentioned. And certainly it's a talented roster as well, really hoping to get some get some results, go in the right direction so that they can get to you know, get some points in the standings and maybe move into that playoff position come seasons in.
Speaker 2: So, I see this weekend's game on the road at Chicago will be on the CBS Sports Network. How does that work as far I know, there's different ways you can view. Then there's a paramount plus deal as well that the that the league has, But how does it mean? How does it work out? As far as you know? CVA Sports Network. I feel like that's a pretty good network to have to have your game on. Did they I mean how often will will the club play in game like that where it can be on a network like that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like any other big sport, right and make any other.
Speaker 4: You know NFL and I guess the NFL is a little different. But you know the NBA, you only see certain teams on national TV like radio.
Speaker 2: You play the Hits, right a lot of right, you get a lot of.
Speaker 3: The Lakers, you get a lot of the Knicks, you get a lot of the Celtics.
Speaker 4: You don't see a whole lot of the Portland Trailblazers, right, And it's unfortunate for Racing Louis that we're we're kind of the Portland Trailblazers of the NWSL a little bit not only a small market, but also unfortunately the last couple years the team that hasn't made the playoffs, so we haven't been picked up for too many national TV games, like like we have this weekend on CBS Sports Network.
Speaker 3: The league has deals with Amazon.
Speaker 4: There's a big Friday night prime time game on Amazon Prime. They have deals with CBS and ESPN as well. But yeah, this will be one of the few opportunities where Racing Louisville will be on national TV this year at THEBS Sports Network, because yes, it's absolutely an opportunity. I'll tell you what nigga's are really the team they're playing Chicago. This is a game that Racing Louisville probably should win, I think has to win because of who Chicago is. They got trounced a couple of weeks ago six nothing by Orlando. They lost last week after having an early lead at home.
Speaker 3: They copped up a lead at home.
Speaker 4: And this is a team that Racing Louisville has beaten a lot in recent years. They swept them last year. Six all time wins against Chicago over the series history for Racing Louisville. That's the most of any team that they've faced in the league's as the team that Racing's had their number. And it's an opportunity after that tough loss last week at Bay to go on national TV, go on CBS Courts Network, and maybe make a statement to the soccer watching public out there across the country that this Racing team is for real and that this Racing team has to be taken seriously as a playoff contender in the NWSOL, because I, like I told you last week, the national media is not taking Racing Louisville seriously, as it contend strongly, they're mocking us. I'm telling you, Nick, there's so much slander for not only Racing Louisville, but the city of Louisville in this league. And it's an opportunity on Sunday to go out there and show some of those folks that they're wrong and show them that not only is this team legit, but this city is legitible be if this game's on the road, really though, that April twelfth game will be the opportunity to show the world that this city is a legit soccer city. When we packed the place with twelve or thirteen thousand fans when Racing takes on the Washington spirit on Thunder over Louisville Day on April twelfth, that'll be a real opportunity to turn some heads across the country. So if you want to be a part of that, go to racingloufc dot com slash Thunder to get your tickets. Hoping for another record crowd this year after we had eleven thousand, three hundred last year and a five to one win in that game last year. Hoping for a similar environment and a similar result this season against Washington here in a couple of weeks time. But yeah, Sunday at Chicago National TV, a chance for this team to make a statement.
Speaker 2: For short, I had no clue these conversations we'd have each week would get me so fired up and ready to I'm ready to run through a brick wall because I can't. I don't like the city of Louisville and Racing Louisville getting the slander. It's unacceptable. But and you actually answered my last question. I was going to say, when it comes to the Thunder game April twelfth, we now have because Thunder is such a big deal. It's an amazing thing we have here in the city. We now have you know, people competing as far as trying to get people out to their event. Well, the place to be is Lynn Family Stadium on April twelfth. Nowhere else, but I'll give you the floor here. Tell us why there's no better place to watch uh Thunder over Louisville than at Lynn Family Stadium, Because again, there's other options, but there's no options better than than at the most beautiful stadium you'll find.
Speaker 3: That's that's certainly true.
Speaker 4: There are there are other options, but there are no better options than Lynn Family Stadium for Thunder over Louisville. They look you get the best view of the of the air show from Lynn Family Stadium. You get a perfect view of the whole vista with the skyline off to the left if you're sitting on that on that far side of options.
Speaker 2: Even if there's no fireworks, it's it's a beautiful view of just what this city is.
Speaker 4: Right, any old game you can come and get a beautiful view of the city, but so come from Thunder over Louisville. You get that that vista of the downtown skyline. You get to see the air Show last year, it was so it was like it was perfect timing. There was a fighter jet that flew right over the stadium right a Savannah de Mello scort a penalty kick in that fire.
Speaker 2: That's like something out of a movie.
Speaker 3: It was literally so you get that that perfect view.
Speaker 4: Hopefully we get that kind of synergy from the air air show folks as well this year, and then afterward we're gonna have lots of fun and activities in the fan zone building up to the fireworks show as the night goes on.
Speaker 1: Music.
Speaker 4: There was a Silent Disco last year, some other events like that, and then you get a great view from the fan zone or if you want to find one of those spots in.
Speaker 3: That upper deck.
Speaker 4: I was telling you about that view, Nick, I mean, imagine you're sitting there, you got your blanket, you got your feet kicked up, a drink in your hand, some food to monch on, you got the skyline.
Speaker 3: Of the city of Louisville, which we all love is.
Speaker 4: So iconic, and then off to the right the thunder over Louisville fireworks show. I mean, it was just an absolutely perfect view combining everything. You're not just looking at the fireworks. You're not just seeing downtown from across the river. Maybe you're on this side of the river and you get to see downtown, see the fireworks. It's a perfect view. We've gotten great reviews the last two years. Right last year we had the game. The year before that, we just opened up the stadium folks to come and see it, and everybody that we've talked to has loved it. So it'll be a great opportunity. And guess what, Nick, you get to see some exciting soccer, two hours of exciting, heart pumping soccer with Racing louisvill hopefully pulling off a win over Washington in a couple of weeks. So racingluifc dot com, slash Thunder is the place to go to get your seats. Tickets starting at very affordable prices, and it's going to be a great environment. Well over twelve or thirteen thousand. It'll be a memorable that I'm telling you. If you bring your family, bring your friends, you will all be talking about this next year. Come Thunder time. You'll say, oh, yeah, remember last year went to the soccer game.
Speaker 3: That was amazing, Let's do it again.
Speaker 4: That's the kind of experience we're going to put on for you on April twelve.
Speaker 2: I ask and he absolutely delivers. Very well done, Jeff Melvey, Well done, Appreciate the time, my friend, and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 2: He ay, good weekend.
Speaker 4: I know you can't see me, but I'm taking a bow right now.
Speaker 2: That was well done, man, no joke. I mean I put you on the spot and the delivery was sensational. So keep it up, brother, We'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Right, take care. That's Jeff Melby from Racing Louisville FC and again RACINGLEUFC dot com is the website. And I just saw a beautiful picture of the fireworks of you from the stadium from last year, and it doesn't get much better than that. All Right, we got a run, quick break. We'll come back five o'clock hour right here on Sports Talk seven ninety