Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Tuesday.
Speaker 2: That's right, you're getting the Sad Bastard cover of Jen's introduction to the Giant BombCast. How the hell are you doing? It's a lovely day, isn't it? On this Tuesday? July twenty ninth, twenty twenty five. My name is Jeff Beckler, filling in for Jano Choa, Dan Reiker, Mike Manati Bowl all three of our friends out on assignment, but we have filled in their seats with butts that we greatly and deeply admire. Isn't that right? Jason Finelli today?
Speaker 3: How we doing? Everybody? Yes, I am very excited to be here. I'm glad that the nine hundred episode grace period has ended. I made it through and now I am able to hang out on the BombCast and talk about cool stuff. And I very much appreciate y'all inviting me for the ride.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's how it works. Nine hundred episodes we can that unlocks the freaks. We've we've hit that milestone and we're happy to do it. The second freak on the program today, Tarbo Sean, how's it going, Bud?
Speaker 4: Yes, nine hundred episodes is what took for Turbo Shan's return to happen. So thank you for having me back. I'm glad to be here. I am also going to be out the rest of the week, so good luck with that editing and stuff.
Speaker 1: Man, you can't need it.
Speaker 2: Yes, is there an editor in the house you're asking? Generally speaking? Co captain of the ship, mister Jeffrey Michael Grub How you doing, Bud?
Speaker 1: Pretty good, jeff and you had the nine hundred episode probationary period is up. I think I think we're gonna last. That's going for I think it's gonna work out just fine for us.
Speaker 2: There's some sort of statute of limitations we also have to read the documentation on and like what that also allows us to do moving forward. It's a very exciting time here at Giant Bomb. That's right, What are you doing not going to GiantBomb dot com slash join supporting the business, supporting the programs, supporting the content you want to see. Please head over there. We also have a merch store, brand new merch store. If you've never heard about it. It's not new at all. Actually, it's been there for a very long time. It stored at GiantBomb dot com. Go check out all the merch and all the stuff that's there at the moment.
Speaker 1: There's good somebody, No, we were all just agreeing with your assessment of the merch store. I didn't realize I ended up getting two pairs of the joggers, and I don't regret it now. I'm just gonna throw those in on rotation. Very happy with that. You do need to rotate your joggers, folks. They're like tires. You have to keep them. Even my admirable ass wears them out. Yeah, you gotta be careful or so the tread on the butt pads will get worn down. You can't have that does not handle the grub butt.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah. My dad has a similar philosophy with clothing. He he just won't wear it. Like he'll buy a new thing and it'll be like, what.
Speaker 1: Am I gonna do? Wear this and have it wear out? I'm not joking.
Speaker 2: That is a song, but that's it. You know. I remember growing up going into his bedroom and being like, oh man, a lot of your clothes still have tags on him? What's that about? He's like, what am I going to wear this clothes? I'm like, I guess.
Speaker 1: I suppose I suppose you're not. I don't know why. No, I have the young newer version of that.
Speaker 4: Grub can relate where my very pretty shirts from the Yetti I don't want them to like because they only last so long because.
Speaker 1: You're shirts from the Yetti. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have our guess where we I did.
Speaker 1: I don't know what happened was sewn, but me I hit my mid life crisis. There was a time in my life I would never wear video game shirts, and then I was like, I'm gonna die one day. I like video games. Someone put them on my shirts. I don't care anymore. It And so Yetti is one of these T shirt vendors that always has like one for like a day or two, and you got to get in there and get them. And they're relatively affordable. They're like eighteen.
Speaker 2: Dollars, but you get what you pay for.
Speaker 1: It's like a Threadless kind of situation.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's threadless the ones that like a print on demand, like you could do it yourself or not.
Speaker 2: I think the way the way Threadless used to do it was like they would I think they I don't know if they bought designs from artists and then like featured them for some sort of time. Yeah. Yeah, and it's like Dreadless, Yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: The same same thing. Ripped Apperil does a similar thing as well, where they just have like a daily featured artist. But I see I have the exact opposite. My dad still wears T shirts that I gave him after I was done working for gaming retail in two thousand and nine, so I and my mom has to bake him get more shirts. He's like, no, they're perfectly good shirts. What's the matter with you? Everything's Fine's I cannot relate to the leave tags on clothes. That's just not how I was grown, I was raised. It just doesn't translate.
Speaker 1: The old Fort shirt I wore yesterday I got from a thrift shop in the year two thousand. Wait, I thought that, I thought.
Speaker 2: I thought.
Speaker 1: I also said old part when I bought it. People old old Fort, old Fort, but old. It's my old fart shirt. It definitely is my old fart shp because that's the kind of hanging a cursive line thing going on.
Speaker 2: Got a real loose loose as on that old Fort design.
Speaker 4: I did see someone in Chad saying, why the hell is grub baring your shirt that says old thought on it, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said, old, that's just kids not being able to recursive though, Sean, that's that was Curtis.
Speaker 2: I mean, like what even when we were in elementary, I remember being like this, sh ain't gonna.
Speaker 1: Accusing the youth of not keeping up or something. Don't know a cursive that's a waste of time?
Speaker 2: What an incredible waste of time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is. I couldn't tell you the last time I wrote cursive and I learned that first through or fourth through sixth grade.
Speaker 2: And we school so much time spent on learning Curtis, so much time think of it's so much.
Speaker 3: It's so much shame for not being able to use it, like going to your awards ceremony and having that penmanship award where that person could just walk around being like, yes, I wasted the most time.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry if your only response to why learning cursive is that, how are you going to sign your name? List put your ear close to the speaker's fuck you? Okay you that's dumb as hell? Who came all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like you, I can't. You didn't sign your name, Therefore it is not a blinding tet. You can throw a picture there, it doesn't matter. Ninety nine percent of ship is signed with a freaking clickie button on a docu sign these days, anyway, who gives a ship?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I type my name and it made cursive for me on a document just yesterday, and I was like, I pay a.
Speaker 2: Computer to write in curson for me. Now, can we go back to the T shirt thing for a second. If you guys had, if you guys had to.
Speaker 1: Run your own T shirt brand, like, what would be like the general vibe or sort of the theme of Because I was thinking the other day, I would love to have the time to start a T shirt brand that just takes dead trademarks from companies that don't exist anymore and sell that shit.
Speaker 2: Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa. Oh, give it away the good ideas, all right.
Speaker 1: No mandemark trade shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure Bubble also dabbles in currently.
Speaker 1: I think I got a virtual boy shirt from Red Bubble once. Yeah, I'm interested in keeping that trademark, but also they.
Speaker 2: Are I'm a basic bitch, right. You know what my T shirt company would be like? It would be like a satanic pinball skull.
Speaker 3: You know, I do like that a lot.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think I would make like I like the logos where it's like an actual company logo, but it says something else, like like cola cursive. There it is again, but it says like, you know, street fighter or something like that.
Speaker 2: Classic the classic picture of of like the cast of Seinfeld and it just says Nirvana underneath.
Speaker 3: Stupid. Like my favorite one is it's Garfield, right, the Garfield and Friends logo, but it's just Neon Genesis even Jelly, and it makes me laugh every single time. Just dumb ship like that. I would make T shirts that I hope would make people laugh. That's that would be what I would want to do.
Speaker 1: There was a there was a guy at packs that sold just a bunch of different Pokemon T shirts, but all the Pokemon were like rebranded as something also so but doof is that one of them Sean was doo Fees like BUCkies, so the BUCkies and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of my favorite is was it's a blast Oise, but it's baja blast Ois. I keep making like one of those shirts, but then like keep getting taken down for who knows what reason.
Speaker 3: But then some people take it too far. I was at a local convention too many games here in Oaks, Pennsylvania, and they had Poor Kirby and it said hawk to it, and I'm like, no, that.
Speaker 2: Well, he doesn't spin on that thing. He sucks up that thing, spits it out when he's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: It's all part of it just piss me off from the from the point of view of like you gotta do you got to put in more effort, Like yeah, yeah, the level of effort there is really depressing. I fuck that put these people in jail maybe, you know, maybe.
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Uh? Is there anything else we have to discussed before we get into the next thing? I I've just seen Happy Gilmore Too is awesome.
Speaker 1: I want to watch it for good things. But is it one of those things where like people had such low expectations and now they're setting my expectations higher and now I'm going to be disappointed.
Speaker 2: My spoiler free review is just like I thought it was better than it had any right to be.
Speaker 1: That's the bar was low. Let's just say the bar was certainly low. Uh.
Speaker 2: And I, you know, watched it with the family and we had a we had a mostly good time with it.
Speaker 1: How much Shooter mcgabbin is in the movie because I'm realizing as I get older, Shooter mcgabbin is maybe one of my favorite characters of all time. He is so funny in every scene he's in in the regard so yeah.
Speaker 2: So with again, without spoiling, there is a line and it's it's there. There's a line that he says that I don't think it's enough credit it up and I mean now that they made it part of the script in this movie, that it will. But he does say something to in the first movie that they go back to here that I thought was like, very clever to answer your to answer your question. There's there's a good amount of him. I don't think you know, yeah, you get as much Shooter as you want. I think, all right, fantastic.
Speaker 4: What the hell is like the overall plot of Happy.
Speaker 1: I don't want to, I don't wanna and he plays golf.
Speaker 3: Let's let's just without getting into because I saw it too, so without getting into too many spoilers, basically, think of a recent story involving the p g A and a Upstartia sort of in that vein another league comes up, only this one where you hate you don't want to like that league because of Saudi Arabia. You don't want to hate you want to hate this league because everyone there sucks. But it's it's that is the story, Like something comes up he has asked to there's a major plot point. Sure that I do not I'm not gonna say, because it kind of fuels his return.
Speaker 4: It's more than I was expecting.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, you know, it's there. It's it's fine, It's fine.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised it's fine.
Speaker 2: I'm actually saying. I mean, I know he's got like a huge deal with Netflix, which explains why he didn't do the futers and whatnot. But this definitely felt like something that was probably on that path. But yeah, I mean, like I think it was. It was fine. I do like that. A lot of it is like New Jersey stuff too, which is cool. There's like some cool local hockey Jersey Easter eggs, which I thought was dope. I also think people do not know what the word cameo means. I think this has been the movie where people are like, did you see did you see all the cameos? Like, guess this movie is like overridden with cameos. But Benny Safty being in the movie. Is not a cameo character in the movie.
Speaker 1: He's the villain.
Speaker 2: He's in the movie. He's an actor in the movie.
Speaker 1: That's not a cat. I didn't realize Benny Safty was like that much a part of the movie.
Speaker 2: I only just.
Speaker 1: Yesterday I saw him in an interview for this movie. Like, fucking Benny Safti's in this, all right, must be it must be a cameo and then all right, cool. I love Bennie Safty. I just can't get enough of that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's very I like him. I like him in his role Alive does.
Speaker 2: He just plays characters from Oppenheimer again, just that honestly, it's more the character from the Curse. Okay, it's it's.
Speaker 1: More like coded that way for sure.
Speaker 3: Uh So I watched I watched the movie with my wife and and I think the one thing that she took away from it is how much love he shows Adam Sandler does to all of his people around. Now, he does take that. He does take that too far with a certain member of his crew, who I want. But here he was barely the right.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, he's.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, no, much much worse. But like he includes his wife and daughters. He includes like people John Lovets I'll spoil one for you makes a cameo, and I love the critic. The critic is one of my favorite, like guilty Pleasure cartoons of all times. And see him in there was really cool. A bunch of other faces that show up. Some I had to look up, like some I didn't realize who they were until after the fact that I was like, oh, that was that person. That was kind of cool too, right, So filling in some current pop culture blanks while also bringing in the old guard pretty cool stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't know what people are expecting out of this movie, Like I played hockey and like the guys in the locker room were like, this movie sucked, and I'm just like, what were you expecting?
Speaker 1: Like I'm expecting Gilmour Too and all of these sequels to, like, you know, the legacy equels to old comedies are always complete and utter trash. They are like unwatchable trash a lot of times, like Joe Dirt Too is actually legitimately maybe one of the better, one of the better, one of those and it sucks. So yeah, well the only time this I mean, look, I think the most.
Speaker 2: The most guilty example of this is Anchorman two. I think Anchorman too, like really ship and died in litigation? I really like you know what, like like maybe put on some weird taboo embargo list, Like seriously.
Speaker 3: Your very legal system today, dreff. You want to people.
Speaker 2: That I'm probably sixty percent of the way to being a lawyer on a good day, could pass the bar exam? Yeah, I mean probably not at all, but also.
Speaker 1: Maybe better than which state though?
Speaker 2: Which states? New Jersey?
Speaker 1: Baby, come on, I'm doing practicing New Jersey law and golf law and hockey and Bill and Ted was okay, Yeah, that's a good point. There was nothing wrong with that. Yeah, And the hern Kumar movies got better. That was a little bit different. So that was like a sequence of films that wasn't like going back to the Well or anything like that necessarily, right, Yeah, all right, with that behind us, folks, let's get in some video games. Video games. Man, Now that I'm like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Doodling in my notebook putting Esquire after my name, and it kind of rules not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Ye es squire not that's got a ring to it.
Speaker 2: It does have a ring to it. Uh, man, I've been I've not been playing the game that a lot of people have been playing because my son has been playing it. That's right, the Donkey Kong Bonanza. Yeah, Danelly, you have exploded in public about this game.
Speaker 3: That is a that's one way to put it. Maybe I'm getting arrested next, not.
Speaker 1: That there's anything to spoil, but we're not going to be spoiling anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're.
Speaker 4: Blue Sky, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, I will.
Speaker 4: You know this sayer dirty laundry on the podcast. I didn't know what that meant, and then once I figured out what it meant, I was a little angry at you, Jeff.
Speaker 1: But if you didn't know what it meant, how is that a spoiler?
Speaker 4: Because it clicked into place and I was like, oh, you didn't let me, you didn't let me experience that.
Speaker 2: Come right.
Speaker 1: It did not register to me as a spoiler. I posted one of the pictures, one of the bonanza thing, guys, and people are like that spoiler. I'm like, Oh, it just doesn't register to me at all as a spoiler. It's so out of context.
Speaker 4: There's nothing it's funny because okay, fair enough, It's like, technically the kind of thing you say you don't like spoil this gameplay stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm like, but that's not.
Speaker 4: But if like, okay, I want to talk about too much, because if it is what I think it is, I'm like, oh, I see what that is.
Speaker 2: There's there's more to.
Speaker 1: It than you're thinking.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yes, yes, okay.
Speaker 3: So I got I got yelled at too for my Blue Sky post about the best Bonanza song because I mentioned the number of Bonanza songs, not remembering that the Bananza direct had less bananzas exists.
Speaker 4: That's an insane thing for someone to be mad about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm talking about songs here, shut up anyway, Hey, this is not a spoiler. We talked about it before the show. The Zebra Bananza song is just the best one that There's no getting around it. If you have not heard it, if you're not interested in the game, their chat is already singing it. I love it. Go listen to that song, even out of context. It's an absolute banger. I will warn you though, if you search for that song on YouTube or anything Bananza on YouTube. The recommended feed has been a very heavy spoiler laden place since that game has come out. Luckily I was able to beat the game before something would have been spoiled for me. Uh, but yeah, just might be careful of that minefield.
Speaker 1: Se you're gonna get so annoyed with me too because my kid spoiled me again or ertrold me on this game and I enjoyed it more because of that. And we were like, I know that's how you like that. I didn't not always. I don't always like that. It's just like it's happened a couple of times, and this that happened, we were like popping off with She's like, I see I told you and I'm like, oh, I didn't believe you. And it's kind of that's that's real.
Speaker 4: It's but you know that's the thing though, that's within the grub ecosystem. Man. That's how you guys like to, you know, share things with each are. That's cool. It's just like what even you pus snake, that's not that bad man, Come on now, like we we both know that's not that bad. But like people going out of their way or like being the first person on YouTube to have like the thumbnail is just hey, here's what the final it's like.
Speaker 3: Come on, I hate that speaking of Jail, I hate that ship, but you know, find the line right. I finished it on Sunday night, and then Monday morning when my kids woke up, I found a YouTube video and I was like, you're watching this right now because it's amazing, and they were like, oh, okay, because they don't mind that. They don't they don't care about spoilers yet that I don't enough to have opinions on those sorts of things. So when I showed them that, they're like, whoa. And then now they want to play it even more now that I'm finished. Take can as we talked about again pre show during my playthroom, No, you're not touching it because checkpoints are brutal in this game, and if you accidentally kill me at a certain point and I go back too far, I'm going to be very upset. But now that I'm done, they can go crazy. I can't wait for them to figure this stuff out and see what they can find for themselves. Very very excited.
Speaker 1: So for me, this game is awesome. Really like this in the game of the year so far. It feels fantastic to play all the stuff we talked about before. I think the criticisms would be and I think this continued from what we talked about last week. The bosses are too easy. They're just they don't they don't feel like a culmination of anything. It just is, here's a this theme after this level, and if you know what you're doing, you are you could probably beat this thing in about fifteen seconds. And that's true for I'm going to say the majority of the bosses, most of them now, Thankfully, the last few bosses get a little bit more challenging and they that does feel like a culmination in a good way. But I don't think that undes sort of the disappointment. And maybe that's like we're so from soft pilled at this point that I'm like, bosses should be important and I should be learning stuff and that should be challenging, and maybe that's just not right for a platform or I don't know, but I definitely think I came away a little disappointed from the bosses.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I know what you're saying, though, because this game, first of all, this game is like the most Nintendo game in a while yep. Because it's not necessarily things that they've done in the distant past, but is everything that they down the Switch One all in one place, the little Odyssey. It's a little breath of a while. Yeah, it's a lot Splatoon and it's all coming together in just a It feels like it would have been planned as like a swan song for the Switch, which it technically was planned as before they moved the project over to Switch too, and now it's like, well, this is the switch to everything. We down the Switch one, but more of it and better and this is what Nintendo is nowadays. And in those games, I do think that the bosses are more important, Like in Splatoon, they have fantastic exactly the different phases and the way it ramps up visually being really interesting. And in here, at least because I'm early on, I'm taking my time with the game. I'm still only in well, I'm in subble. I just got to sell level six hundred. So far, every boss has just been here's a health bar, you whack them like ten times, especially if you have cong bonanza and just finish them. You know, Yeah, it's way too easy.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, way way too easy. And I think you know, there's an upgrade system, so if you are specing in any sort of way to sort of make yourself more survivable.
Speaker 2: It's going to trivialize a lot of that stuff very quickly.
Speaker 1: I held off on upgrading health into the very end of the game, just to kind of improve that challenge a little bit. But outside of that, I mean, you're shown you're right. It is all of those ideas from all these Nintendo games. You can like spot them and be like, oh my god, they took that off the menu and used it in a really great way. It is totally cohesive. There's nothing that feels out of place. It all serves a larger purpose of establishing like the central thesis of Donkey Kung Binanza, which is, you know everything can be destroyed and everything can be you know, you can interact with everything and it has knock on effects and all that stuff really really really works. I think I like the sort of structure of the game of Hey, we are going to do our best to encourage you to not play like Sean is and just go after those bananas. We're gonna throw a bunch of bananas down a hole that is on the next level, and you're gonna be so enticed that you are going to think I should just go get those now. And I'll come back to this level later, and I think that kind of makes this nice and through the game of you're gonna kind of be like, Okay, I'm chasing down these this big bunch of bananas, or I'm chasing down the main objective and I'll find stuff along the way, but I'm going to sort of rush through this game and then come back around and explore it, and things change at that point, which give you more reasons to explore. So I think they really thought about that as well. And I also just think that the pacing of placing various challenges around the level of here's here's one where you're going to go into a room and it's going to be a platforming challenge or some other similar kind of challenge, and it's going to be a little bit more difficult. I don't think they're again, nothing in this game is the most difficult, but I do think it's well paced out, and then you can always make it a little bit more challenging by one hundred percent in it. And maybe that's not what people want when they are looking for a challenge, but for me, I'm like, no, that's totally how I want it to work. I'm a fine with like, oh, I stumbled into a Banandium gym here, and now I got.
Speaker 2: Enough to do whatever, to upgrade or whatever.
Speaker 1: And now finding the last five in this in this world, it's actually kind of difficult, and where is this thing? How do I even get this? How do I get around there? How do I Some of them are difficult platforming challenges. I could think of one that I was like, Oh, that's clever.
Speaker 2: So it just has all of it. It does all of it really well.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm really really enamored with everything that experienced this game, and I'm still playing it. Credits happened. I'm one hundred percent of this thing for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, springboarding off of what you said there, I do think that it's awesome. We talked about me and you talked about this a lot of the GB plays where it's very accommodating the fact that you can play it and just mainline it basically and then come back and do anything you want later. It's it's that's really how it's designed. I would say, But that freaking sonar man, the sonar clap, I just can't do it there. The game is telling me hee, But what if you went over here, Yeah, went over here. It's it's great breadcrumbs, and I love that the game lets you play however the hell you want. You can go just right down the main path, or you can do what I'm doing, and you just do every little thing they see, not necessarily everything everything. I'm not like opening the map and saying, Okay, I'm missing four bananas. I can't move on to the next.
Speaker 1: Area at now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll come back and get those later. That's fine.
Speaker 1: Are you saying you don't want the game to hold your hand, like you don't want it to show you where it goes? You're pushing it?
Speaker 2: Say that like that?
Speaker 1: That like because it the game of the world feels so well designed and it works so well with its systems of like the sonar, that it can't help but feel like he's being like the way I was drawn to the next level by like a bunch of bananas just went down that hole. He's being drawn in a different direction because he collapsed and he sees a bunch of flashing things all around that makes him want to go explore in that direction.
Speaker 2: And it works on both lides.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the lack of handholding is like it's an option like the game, just it's not explicitly telling you it's not thing you need to go down this path. It's saying this is the path, here is your next checkpoint. Go do the thing. It's a very like Breath of Wild Tears, the Kingdom thing of Hey, this is where your next objective is, go do the thing. But if you want to do every little thing that we've hidden along the way, We're not gonna stop you. Pauline's not gonna stop and say, hey, DK, we really need to get going and do the next thing. Like no, she's just gonna like comment out, Wow, that was really fun. I'm thinking to myself, that was fun, Pauline, I am having a great damn time this playing the video game.
Speaker 3: You are, Yeah, you're right, yeah exactly. I will say this, though, I found that some layers I wanted to get out of as soon as possible. I just did not find myself enjoying that particular layer as much. One of them being the landfill, where's mostly digging and you're just basically you're always confined in those Like I like being able to explore and punch, like punch through walls and like dig a tunnel through wall and see what's on the other side. But when it becomes the entire level, and when the camera sometimes I always found I found sometimes I found that the camera had a lot of trouble if it's like trying to follow me as I'm making my tunnel and it's going all over the place, and I'm silhouetting over here, and it's just not lining up where I want it to, don't I can't see what I'm trying to see. That I think was one of the weaker parts of the game. So then have an entire layer where that is the dominant viewpoint I have for most of the layer. I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. I don't know it'll stop me from wanting one hundred percent of the game. I may just grin and Barrett go back, find the bananas, and be done with it forever. But I feel like that part of it just added a little frustration that otherwise I would have been fine with.
Speaker 1: I definitely got used pretty quickly. You see the camera the way it works underground, but I know that that is going to be the source of a lot of frustration for a lot of casual players. I think are typical players where but like for me when I was doing it's like, Okay, if the camera is ever in a situation where I see that silhouette, it's probably not going to feel good. So I just try to bring the camera down into the ground, and once it does that and everything becomes transparent, then it's like, oh, this is this is pretty good because at a certain point, and I think this is the main reason that I followed that main trail, the main main bread crumbs is because the game is about destruction and about punching, and the materials have different strengths to them, and when you punch through sand, it like evaporates, and when you punch through stone it takes a couple punches before you move on. I just started like taking the path of least resistance, and sometimes that meant like I'm just going to fuel my way through this level and not even really see what's going on. And somehow I don't know how to say this without making it sound like excusing the camera, but it just didn't bother me because I was loving the way that felt so much that I could feel my way through it, and I'm kind of like, Okay, I'm glad that they made a game and didn't shy away from enabling that sort of play because the camera.
Speaker 2: It was a little bit tricky in those situations.
Speaker 4: I think the camera is like the best they could have done without just putting it like you know, right behind DK, well you have no field of view.
Speaker 1: Was pretty close. It's a pretty close camera.
Speaker 4: It is, but it's also you can't you can rotate it. You can see like unless it's like bumping into a wall, you can see all around you and our thing. I think that's very good, I do think on the subject though, maybe my one ripe with the game is that it does feel like the two halves are very separated out at least the way I'm playing. I can very much feel that I am doing the digging portion on the overworld, and then I go two separate areas to do the platforming challenges.
Speaker 2: I haven't at.
Speaker 4: Least sure what halfway ish maybe through the game, I haven't had any platforming challenges really in the main large areas. It feels like I'm going somewhere else, and I think I do kind of prefer the way, because I wouldn't say I have a problem with it. It just feels a little weird, and I think I prefer the way that say Mario Ossy did this somewhat and in a comical fashion. SoC Frontiers did this a lot where you'll just be in this big open area and then a puzzle will be floating in air. It's like, well, I got to get up there and do the platforming puzzle or whatever. But maybe it's because you have so much mobility in this game that they didn't watch you like breaking things in order to get there. They watch I don't know about that platform challenge.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I was going to say is I have now gone back and I've been watching some other people play. I did that quick look with Mike. I sequence breaked like five things in this game because I was just like, I'm going to play the dumb Jeff way. I know the game's trying to get me to do that thing over there, but I don't care. I'm just I think I can make this work by throwing some sand over there, or I can probably string together these platform and things. And in those in that moment when I was able to cross some massive gap that I clearly I was not supposed to do in this moment. It was awesome, but it reminded me Sean that was like, I wish there was more of this sort of designed purposely through the game, and I was doing it more frequently in these levels as opposed to going into the challenge room. So I definitely felt that in that moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now I'm with you there, and that sort of applied to you were saying the boss fights were mostly too easy, but the ones that were difficult you could kind of figure out ways to brute force as well.
Speaker 2: A later one.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say exactly who it is or where it is, but you had to like create platforms for yourself in order to get where you needed to go, and you did that by throwing chunks. You just throw a chunk and then we won't But I noticed I could throw the chunk at the enemy and just progress the boss fight from there by doing the damage I needed to do. So it just made it I didn't have to go to the platform and then hit anymore. I just already did the hit, so I could just throw a bunch of chunks and then go to the next part of the fight. If that makes sense. It makes sense probably the Jeff, but that to me, it sort of puts a spotlight on what little inconsistencies or what little gripes I have, while being able to brute force is fun. As Jeff just said, I kind of wish there was more of a integrated platforming or integrated Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me a chance to make It's so open that I can like define my own capabilities to get through this world. Sure, I guess do I want both? I want this and then I want Mario Odyssey too. Is really because I think the way they design this game works for what it is, and if I had to choose, Sean, I think I'm on your side, where the jumping around in Odyssey is probably my slight preference, but that does I don't want to forsake this to get more of that, because the destruction in here and the ability to like have these materials work together.
Speaker 2: Has been so cool to see.
Speaker 1: It is one of these another Nintendo game that's like I bet developers to play this and pull out their hair and say, oh my god, I can't believe anyone actually did this.
Speaker 4: It's different flavors, you know, and I think that's cool. It's like with Pizza, I do want that, like pepperoni pizza, but I also like the barbecue chicken pizza or whatever. I like mixing it up. Well, I like to get the supreme sometimes. That's what Nintendo's kind of doing right now. Other stuff feels like in the same house, but it's different flavors of the same thing. I appreciate that they're doing that, And Bonanza feels like another one of those.
Speaker 3: That was a very risky analogy because I feel like we.
Speaker 1: Dodged a few bullets there. I thought you were gonna say meat the meat people, the meat.
Speaker 2: Lovers, like, look, I get it. You want to put pepperoni or buffalo.
Speaker 1: Chicken so much like a meat lover's one. Yo, I'm getting the itis immediately. Yeah, I'm just like, what have I done?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I feel left out in this Donkey Kong's conversation because I started playing this game.
Speaker 1: Right like an idiot, like a moron, like a buffoon. Because I live with a ten year old super cool gamer who was like, you're not playing this I am, And I'm like, I guess you're right, like the same thing to me. She literally comes up, since that mine now and took to switch to you away.
Speaker 2: He's like he goes, why weren't you playing this in your office? And I was like, well, I guess I kind of wanted you to see it. But now in retrospect, I realized all I have done is given you this game to play ahead of me. It's kind of like Astrobot all over again. So I've been watching did play this game for about six hours and he is one of these people who was just like, I can't believe this game is letting me do all this destruction. That is very neat. I think I have heard a lot of the criticism that you guys are starting to pop up, mostly with like there's too many needless bananas, right, Like, I hear that a lot, and I didn't get it through his play because he's like everything, Yeah, that's just what I've heard anecdotally.
Speaker 1: I actually would agree with that.
Speaker 4: I've had so many we're just like I'm just telling it's like, oh, there's there's one, Okay, I didn't do anything to get it.
Speaker 2: Just like that.
Speaker 1: I don't like the idea of like, oh, you have to do something to get the banana. If you were playing the game and you're exploring, you happen to stumble across one I think having like a handful of those in each levels is cool. And then there are also the ones where you have to do something right.
Speaker 4: But think Odyssey never had one where you like really just get it for no reason. You do, like even a small thing, you know, you make water plant or something. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Well, I definitely I remember hearing a very similar criticism for Odyssey of people like I'm just stumbling across moon shines or whatever they're called. They're not calling alcohol.
Speaker 3: That's a whole different game big jugs, but like they're just rewards for exploration, right, You're exploring these open these open places and getting these like every time. I'm a big sonar guy, So every time I do the sonar clap and I see the silhouette of a banana over there, my first thought is, all right, well, how am I getting over there? I'll tell you the game clicked for me at one point, very early there was it was just a banana behind one of the concrete walls, and I'm trying to get around it. I don't think I had the first bonanza yet, so I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get to get this banana, and then I realized it's going to the Wall's going to the wall and get the banana that way, and that was like, okay, cool, it's gonna reward me for doing things out of my out of the way they want me to do it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I did notice that I would get bananas like by digging into a hidden room that I wasn't supposed to be in and then fighting my way out of it, as opposed to coming in, getting the banana and leaving, which again I think is just a reward for exploration. The thing. It's the open world versus like the old Zelda formula argument, Right, do you want to be rewarded for exploration or do you just want to go around the empty world? We'll see what's there and then get back on the beaten path. And I think I prefer what Bonanza is doing here as opposed to that alternative.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, I mean I can tell he's having fun exploring and we're laughing a lot, and it's just real goofy and dumb and doc he's kind of a he's kind of an idiot. I mean, you know, you know, like I god forbid this guy like looks like he knows what's happening.
Speaker 1: Well, no, he's just so empty headed and I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, any dialogtry is just like actual options then bananas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I answer bananas every time. Everyone live your truth. Brother, It's great, Primates. I really got to say, like, you know, I've been craving bananas so bad in the last like two weeks.
Speaker 2: It's been crazy.
Speaker 3: I have to ask. Yeah, I have to ask all four of you. Since you started playing this game, like like a week a little more than a week ago, how many times have you, your children or anyone else who has watched you played this game said, oh, banana, because I am at least in the hundreds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's at least. It's definitely been like a banana. I just I walt pass, I walk past the fruit ball.
Speaker 3: Oh banana. Yeah, come, it just become a thing.
Speaker 4: Last night I was playing games with friends and have a friend who does not He doesn't have the game. He does have a switch to, but like just randomly he said, Oh, I'm like, how do you know about this?
Speaker 3: I think, And to go back to Donkey Kong. The best way to describe that guy, I think is the word O's a lovable of you just want to. Even when he's like sort of being like, no, I don't care what Pauline wants, I just want bananas, You're like, yeah, I get it. He's still he's still a monkey. And the dichotomy between those two d K and Pauline is a relationship.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm not just saying that as a father of daughters, because there's a lot of that there. But it's also like this this I don't know, there's there's the way that they capture, the way that the two of them talk to each other, Pauline's chats with you when you go to the Getaways. I watched every single one and other games that would be something I would skip to just get over. But the way that she like is just thinking about things and and the way that like, oh look at this over there, and making observations about the world that you're in. And if you notice, from the beginning of the game, she's very nervous, very reserved, very kept in. But as the game progresses, she starts to break out of that shell, and you see her breakout of that show. I thought it was great character, you.
Speaker 4: Know, in terms of breaking out of the shell. Though I do wonder how this game went is different if she stayed as odd Rock longer. He's like, very quickly they transition from odd Rock to Pauline. I'm like, that was like an hour or something like. Yeah, I know, she's part of the marketing. It's not like some secret that she's like the other main character. And it's definitely better for marketing for it to be decam Pauline. Old people know who that is. Younger people are like, oh, it's sort of a father daughter kind of thing going on here. It's cute. But I do kind of wonder if they will have kept that surprise how we all have reacted to that, especially because odd auder Rock was kind of cute, like yeah, and especially the yeah, the way she speaks and everything be a little stilted, and it's like you get a bit and she's like I'm happy. I'm like, oh, it's adorable. I kind of wonder, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Like left the room for an hour. I had seen the Rock and I'm like, oh, that's funny. That's your buddy, you know.
Speaker 1: I guess it makes sense for a dumb idiot, you know, Gorilla to have a dumb rock as a friend like that.
Speaker 2: And then I came back and he's like that rocks a girl.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Sick.
Speaker 1: I wish it was almost a little bit even more of a musical than it is. She sings that's Pauline's whole thing, and she there are the banansa powers, Like those are musical moments. She's singing, that's what turns you into those things. It's awesome, yes, And then the ending, of course, is going to have a couple of those moments. I kind of wish there was just like a few more spread throughout that We're similar to Jump Up Superstar from Odyssey, Yeah, a little bit, because I'm like, I think this game might be a musical, and I like that idea of Nintendo going all out on that. And there are some songs Where'm like, oh, yeah, I think these are going to be like hits with people who like like show tunes and stuff like that, especially like the end credits song. Yep.
Speaker 2: But I would like even more of that. I think they kind of underplayed that that strong card that they had there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I would like to give props to the vocalist to that, Jenny Kid, I think it's her name, And I don't know if this is her first turn doing voice acting or what?
Speaker 2: But man, she yeah, everyone obviously, I don't know what the final bosses. Everyone keeps talking about or like the ending or whatever it is, and I'm just like, okay, well, I'm looking forward to seeing that. It's not seeing Donkey fight the Chiquita Corporation. I don't.
Speaker 1: Banjo shows up with a gun and he's revealed to be the real bad guy. Looking forward to experiencing that with my family. Very good. All right, what's uh? What's everyone else playing?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 2: Someone has Mario Paint in Rundown here? And I want to know more about this game. I've never heard of it.
Speaker 1: Uhed on switched to yesterday. Yeah, so Nintendo last night released this on Nintendo Switch Online Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and they included mouse support, So on Switch one you could plug in a USB mouse, something you could do in a lot of games on Switch one.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of enough feature.
Speaker 1: They don't talk about a ton But on switch to, obviously you could just use the joy Con and it works like a mouse and there's like no problem there, and it's it's great and Mario Paint's back.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: Still that game, and I still like like, I'm still like like messing around, but I was never great at any paint program. Although I just got done listening to that book The History of the Pixel, where they talk a lot about the history of paint programs, and so I'm like a little bit more curious about, like how is this working. I'm like a little bit more in awe. Whereas a kid, I'm like, yeah, this is what you do a computers. You're drawing them and you make stuff. But I did forget like how much there is. There's quite it's quite capable. There's an anime music week, right, there's music. There's a famous music maker where it's like that is still something that to this day, people have recreated that online and added a bunch of other sound profiles, so you can use the Mario Paint Music Making tool to recreate other songs and stuff like that. But yeah, that's the one I played with the most as.
Speaker 2: A kid, like making the Star Wars theam or trying to make the Star Wars theme as best I could, things like that. But yeah, it's just cool to see this back.
Speaker 1: It's cool to see cool Secene Nintendo just drop this into Nso I was like what are they gonna do with Mario paint. They will do something have the mouse, but are they gonna like re release it or something like that. It's like, no, it's just in the Nintendo Switch online. It does make me wonder, like, do they follow this up with a new Mario paint that is a full release, because it's like they do have a mouse for this thing, and they're kind of making a big deal about it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit a good question.
Speaker 3: And if it were me, If it were me, I would say, you make a Mario music maker and just include the paint features with it, because the music maker has been what has as per uh yeah, as persistent all these leaders. So if you market it as a music maker and hey there's paint stuff too, I think that would make more sense. As far as a new piece of stuff.
Speaker 4: I was I was gonna say southing similar Mario Maker three. It's more than just levels. It is all the Mario paint stuff because still just right, Mario Maker, you just have it all in one place, right.
Speaker 2: It's wild how influential the music part of that has been from the original paint, right, It's like without Mario Paint. There's no teenage engineering.
Speaker 1: I feel like, you know, there are a lot of people from our generation that got introduced to the idea of a digital audio interface from Mario Paint. Like it was just the first time that people realized that you can make music with a computer, like pre eye opening.
Speaker 4: Anytime there's like a someone who works with synth tunes, chip tunes and that kind of stuff, like a GDQ couch, they'll say like, yeah, I got my start, you know, making this stuff for Mario Paint, and then I just got really into doing this sequence of stuff and now it's my job.
Speaker 2: We had always assume that Mario Pain was going to be a thing with the mouse as soon as there was the mouse, right, Like, that's the first.
Speaker 1: Thing that everyone thought of. Yes, absolutely, yep, Yeah, well that's cool to see what uh.
Speaker 2: I feel like there are still game Cube like gaps in uh Nintenna Switch Online, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like four games on there so far, so yeah, like we're I mean, there's not a ton of gaps left on the systems that were on before GameCube in terms of games that would be easy for Nintendo put to put on there. Right, they're not making a lot of third party deals. And then in terms of first party, right, nothing too glaring. There's a couple exceptions on in sixty four specifically where it's like, ah, why isn't is it did Diddy Kong Racing and Donkey Kunk sixty four. Well it's like, well that's some rare stuff, but they own those things. They could put it on there, they just haven't yet. But for GameCube, yeah, there's there's a ton of stuff that they could still do, and they've announced a few that haven't even come out yet. I would imagine a lot of it gets dicey, just because I do think that era is maybe a bit ripe for the.
Speaker 2: Sort of like remastering Harvest right where it's at the right right.
Speaker 4: So there's at least with first party, Like wind Waker was there day one and we all thought wind Waker wasn't gonna happen because they would just port over win Waker HD. But they're like they did, they just put that on service. So whether they do win Waker HD on switch to or not, like, that's that's just there. And so you assume thing could happen with Twilight Princess saying could happen with Mario Sunshine, even though they have the option just you know, literally re released at Yeah, but all the first party stuff, I don't know. It seems like maybe they'll do both or they just put up the GameCube original third parties. Yes, it's a little different because they would may want to get right off a remaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, I don't expect a ton like or not a ton, but even a little bit of third party the way that some of the other platforms did, because I think a lot of those are going to do exactly this. They are going to follow it up with remasters and re release them because that generation, you could still make a ton of money from rereleasing those games. There's a lot of demand for those games generally. It's why the retro market's so expensive, and people always get excited. You say, hey, that GameCube game is coming back. Yeah, people hop on that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Playing Bonanza, I've been thinking to myself, Man, wouldn't it be cool of like Aspire if someone did like a Hull Ultimate Destruction HD, Like.
Speaker 3: Man, that would be cool.
Speaker 4: I'd love that.
Speaker 1: So Sunshine was the only Mario GameCube game.
Speaker 3: Right truct A Nameline platformer.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, right, yeah, okay, interesting, all right, very good.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: We've also have WW two K twenty five on our.
Speaker 3: List, specifically on the switch to, which is why I figured I would bring it up.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you got that verse?
Speaker 3: She came out a couple of weeks ago, uh, when I went under fire for some community creation things that were left out, but I didn't have a chance to get into that and see how much of a difference it really made. But as far as like playing WWE on the go on my switch to, it feels really good, Like I really, I really, I feel like it controls well.
Speaker 1: That this series did not feel good on Switch one, right, it was like pretty rough on switch one.
Speaker 3: I don't I only this is my first switch WWE experience. I played on pretty rough before this, so yeah, yeah, yeah, this one, this one feels pretty good. The way that the code came with all of the dlc attached to it too, So I'm already up to date with where the consoles are now, all the modes are there. It's a full package, except for just the community community thing that I hadn't had a chance to really explore yet. But as far as like comparing it to the console or PC experience, I was very impressed. I felt like I was able to you know, play matches and and do everything I would want to do with just as much you know, speed or quality or whatever as I did in previous versions on the PlayStation five. And being able to have that ww E two K experience wherever I want now in the way that it should be is it's pretty damn cool. I think that's and it's a good way to get Like my nine year old really likes WWE, but she's never allowed to stay up to watch it. So now if she's not doing anything like, hey, go pick your favorite wrestler and go mess around for a little while, and she can start to build that fandom up a little bit too. But yeah, I think it plays great. It's a it's a good option if you're a wrestling fan who wants to be able to play this outside of your house. The lack of cross progression kind of sucks. I wasn't able to connect or if I haven't figured it out. At least I got my two K account there, but I wasn't able to connect to my PlayStation account. I don't know if that's a possibility, But for the most part, I was impressed with this port, especially now with the switch to and switchboards being what they were before. It's good to see this year now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do find myself thinking when it comes time to buying a game, like I was singing this with Tony Hawks because I would have a copy. I was thinking, like, do I like, yeah, should maybe I gets the Steam version. I know it's on game Pass, but maybe, you know, I'm just feeling weird about a lot of that stuff in general. Maybe I get when it's on sale on like a green Man Gaming or something like that. Then I have the realization don't switch too, and it's probably pretty good on switch too, Like you know, maybe I don't want to spend all that money, especially with current events on that right now, but maybe I get like the physical switch To version when that hits to bargain Bin or something, because that would be like a decent way of play that. And it is weird to be back in that place of thinking, oh, yeah, I can play a third party game on my switch and it's not like a hugely compromise experience. Well, we'll get to the point where it is like, yeah, it's it's thirty fps. Bigger consoles are sixty or whatever, but nice to have that option again. Kind of feels like even better than when this WHICH one launch because there is so much extra power out the gate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some there is a knock on effect of this, Like you know, now that I've turned on my switch to to play a video game, I feel like there is this knock on effect where it has opened up the doors to things where like when the original came out, you were just sort of like, oh, all right, this is sort of starting from scratch, but being able to do you know, Tears of the Kingdom at sixty frames and just yeah, that has changed the dynamic at least for me and what I'm looking for and now considering it as a mobile thing, where like it was basically cemented into the dock for you know, five years, for me is definitely like a consideration that I've only just started to have with this thing. I'm it's growing on me. I think I still need some more you know, compelling first party stuff, but yeah, sure, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well we'll get there.
Speaker 1: I think it's been a good start now with Donkey Kong that's helped like really establish like oh, this thing feels worth it for me at this point. Would I recommend it to someone who's like, hey, what about that switch to I'm like, okay, well, if you're feeling that way about it, if you're like asking about it, no, just wait, we wait to this holiday see what these other games are like. But you could easily wait till next year, and they're probably going to have an Animal Crossing within the next couple of years and a few other things that you'll want and once you know, like I've pulled this before, my friend has ten game really doesn't buy a new console until it has ten games he wants to play. And I think you can sort of like scale that up and down depending on like where you're at, like five games you want to play.
Speaker 2: That's probably.
Speaker 1: Well, he's got much more savings than I do, so you want.
Speaker 4: To on every console, you know?
Speaker 2: Exactly, Yeah, that's true exactly.
Speaker 4: With the switch too, was these things aren't going down in price. We'll just buy it right away, buying it either way eventually, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Sorry, real quick, LEXI just got me so bad. I'm like, oh, didn't Nintendo announce the direct and the tweet? It's the you tweet it's and the name of the console is we you thanks a.
Speaker 3: Lot, like you got my ass, got my too?
Speaker 2: Haven't deleted that well? I mean true, the name of that console was once the week just for like, yeah, like maybe we just you know, bring that tweet out back. You know, I just tweeted it again.
Speaker 4: So it's like the thanks about unless we're getting Mega sixty four in to a skit, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can you go get a switch to Can you get one if you like work hard for like a couple of days, I bet you'll be able to find one. But you're not gonna be able to go like tonight to target and one target and walk in and get one now. And this thing, you know, this thing's expensive. I guess I've never.
Speaker 2: Really like had a hard, long, hard conversation with myself like wow, this thing that doesn't have that much. It's the best selling console ever, fast, the fastest selling through the first sorry fast, that's the probably. I think that is still surprising given its cost and the state of the state. That is surprising.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people are just like me though, of being like, well, I'm gonna have to get one of these eventually, because there's gonna be the next Mario, the next Zelda, the next Pokemon. Might as well just buy it while it's like, because it seems like there were a lot available at the start, I might as well pick one up now and then just I'll have it for the rest of the year, especially if there's any surprises or anything as well.
Speaker 2: Right, But I'm building the economic sort of like consideration into that conversation, right where like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't feel great's five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: That's like, you know, if you a physically responsible person would not just be like, well, I'm just gonna like basically, you know, dump five hundred dollars into this thing as some sort of I don't know, it's not an investment. It's not some kind of like uh, you know, you're basically just sort of giving.
Speaker 1: Your pretending access, right your purchasing the ability to access more ways to pay them even more money. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a slip slope, right, Like, so I don't that's what I can't connect the dots from that position of like, oh, I'm just gonna do this as a preemptive sort of It's a switch.
Speaker 4: Is a switch a fect like everyone had to switch one and they're like, okay, well I know what this is and that's why we all said it needs to just be switched to. And they did just go switch to because everyone knows what switch one is. And they're like, oh crap, it's like PlayStation I just yeah, I just buy the next one. Like PS five, let's be real with ourselves. PS five doesn't have that much exclusive software that's worth buying one for. If your hardcore inside ecosystem, you buy because your games are better than ever and you want to play the exclusive.
Speaker 2: Exact same thing. Here you go.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's also like a five hundred dollars thing that you're probably it's probably not a great buy in you know, the grand scheme of things, but it's just what you do because that's what you know that's very comfortable with the earthing.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say PlayStation doesn't have any first party software because they keep canceling it anyway. Uh, but like see, I I justified it as a day one purchase because it's a work thing, right, Being the freelancer in the in the business that we are, I need to be able to play these games. But there's also a fomo thing attached to it. If I had the opportunity to be on this podcast and y'all were talking about Bonanza and I hadn't played it, i'd be tear my hair around. So I knew I was getting it eventually. I knew I was gonna want a day one and any day that I didn't have it after launch, I was just going to think about it until I got it. That being said, if I did not have a big box retailer credit card, I don't know that I would have been able to do it day one. That sort of helped me as well, So I get I kind of I get both sides of it. I need it for the job that I do, but if it weren't for that single thing, I don't know that I would have been able to So I get why people would wait.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, min payment plan too, don't you worry?
Speaker 2: But that's fair, Hey zero, just paying four? I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes the whole world go around. Yeah, this time around maybe books, I like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was. I was talking to like my my buddies, but my kids friends, and I don't think it's kids. I think I think it's just this is.
Speaker 1: How it goes right now, is we are in the first part where it's going to be the most dedicated Nintendo fans. And this is for every console for the most part. But like the people willing to go and get on their what the computer at like nine pm and sit there for an hour and a half, refreshing, refreshing, trying to get a pre order at best Buy is going to be a certain person with a certain level of disposable income that like kind of lives and breathes Nintendo. It turns out they have made a lot of those people, so for the first like a couple of months, they can really thrive on that matpi is Catel when he had the Sirkana report for game sales from last month and it was Nintendo switched to sales, and it's like, yeah, this is the fastest selling ever. Everyone's like, so the price right, Everyone's complaining about the price. This proves the price is right right, And he's like, look, it proves the price is correct for this early audience. But it's gonna have another test when it gets to this holiday. And will the families that show up at that point with the kids saying, hey can I get a switch to will they will those kids be able to commit convince their parents at that point, at this price, that's gonna be. That's still up in the air. We really don't know if that's happened yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had this entire year as like a buffer for us hardcore fans and even like some of like the connected like soccer moms and dads who are watching like you know today connected soccer, the ones who watched like the news shows and they're like, this is the hot new item right now, the switch to it's out. You gotta grab this for you know, like the kids are gonna want.
Speaker 1: This, and I promise talk about the concept of connected soccer mombs like before represented by the coolest Deborah imaginable.
Speaker 4: But that's why the game at the end of the year is Pokemon, because then once all the hardcore pros they're switched to you, I still makes.
Speaker 2: A chasm is widening, like the the you know, you're the grub children the back of our children are not typical children, no, and something is changing. And I do think I think, yeah, I think they're I think may I'm sure they've realized it internally, but like that number, they're the target number. It is rising.
Speaker 1: The age number is rising because Kindo has mostly buffered themselves against these The this concern, the problem that we're talking about is he make a bigger problem for Sony and Microsoft, who are like, oh, we have to try, we have to build our consoles in such a way that we convince a new generation of children who do not accept paying five hundred dollars for a console as a default way to access their games, that they need to do that when they can just go get all their games anywhere else for free right now and their friends are already playing it. That's such a massive hurdle and definitely certainly that affects them, but it's much much, much less as opposed to what has happened with Microsoft, and especially Microsoft, but also even Sony.
Speaker 3: Right, And part of that is because Nintendo has positioned itself to be the first console with all of its family friendly software and stuff like that. I agree with you.
Speaker 2: It really is Pokemon, it really is.
Speaker 3: And and you were saying that Nintendo's given themselves a buffer for the first year. I don't know that they think the same way because when Pokemon comes out, they're bundling it with the switch to remember, so they they think they they think they can win this holiday at this price point, and I don't. I don't know if that's possible. I'd like to think so, but I'm not sure that that's going to happen. But they're certainly going to try. They're certainly not sitting resting on their laurels. They got the Mario Kart sikos in the door, and now they're going to get the Pokemon sicicos at at at holidays.
Speaker 4: That's time. Mario Kart was such a smart, like potential packing, like, yes, you paid more, but you paid less than individually. That's why it was such a sick launch game package in game, because you get all the hardcore sickles, but you do get some of those families like I was talking about, because they look at and they're like, oh, Mario Kart, the new Mario Kart. There's absolutely parents who are going to be like, well, we already have Mario Kart. We only an other one. But there's gonna be the other ones who enjoy playing with their kids and our thing, and the kids want to where they're like, that's just the next one. Yeah, I guess we will just get the next one.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: I guess I'm just sort of like, I don't know, I feel like Nintendo is positioned to.
Speaker 2: Do a better roadblocks or like a version of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone's trying to do the roadblocks, of course, but like who are all that stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, of course, but like I do think from like a one to one like let's just rip this off, certainly, but that's like all right, like you know what I mean, Like they really are who's positioned better to do that? They've already sort of like conceded like, oh, we're going to go on other platforms from like a mobile device point of view, and and and and try and you know, find children where they are. You know, I'm not rooting for them to do that, but certainly you would also probably have a much better sort of like good faith relationship with parents who half of them don't even understand what roadblocks is and the other half is sort of like too idiotic to be concerned, right, Yeah, And.
Speaker 1: The roadblocks and as concept of user generated content funding and fueling, again it's anithetical too. Of course, I still think you're right that that Nintendo could easily go into that space and do something. Not easily, but they could go in that space and probably dominate it if they wanted to. I personally kind of feel better about Like we I live in a no Roadblocks county. We have been locally just saying like but straight up right like, yeah, well, I'm sorry, Jason, what are you going to say?
Speaker 3: I'm the same as you. Well, Roadblocks does not get played in this house. I will I refuse to allow any of their devices to have it. And if I have to dabble onto it for a job or a writing article or whatever, I held my nose the entire time I do it. So Nintendo trying to figure out a way to eighth Roadblocks's shtick, it's simps ape there simply for the giving the parents an alternative they're familiar with. So I'm one hundred percent agree with you. If there was a Roadblox user generated content program that was Nintendo's with their ips and their characters and their worlds and all that stuff, and you can just do whatever you wanted with that, I think that would be an absolute gangbuster. And Minecraft sort of gave them that with that. But the Mario Tian specifically to the switch version, right, my kids play that all the time. So if they tried to do that again with something that's purely and maybe they call it Mario paint to get to nostalgia people in and to wrap this discussion in nice big bo. I don't know, but I now that you've said that, Jeff, I'm surprised they haven't done it yet. I really don't.
Speaker 1: It just seems like, I mean, I'm sure they've obviously, I'm sure they are aware of that and either truy ideas all the time for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think. I think. Lastly, the chat pointed out Nintendo just doesn't follow trends and they just don't do things unless it makes sense for them creatively, because they you know, they're a business first and foremost their legal team reminds us of that all the time. But they want to get a game out there that is like someone in the company's vision for what they want to be. It's why they didn't have a shooter until Splittoon came out, because they wanted something that could be the family friendly thing, the cute thing that everyone wears on T shirts and like bags and stuff like that. They wanted something that would connect with everyone, and they nailed it, Like yeah, Paintball of course, like that that's a natural fit for Nintendo. That's what they're doing here. I think that's what the play test thing is probably going to end up being, is them trying to do that kind of thing. They dabble here and there, Mario maker a little bit even gain build their garage a little bit Labo if you think of it, kind of a little bit as well. You know, that was leaning into the harderboard toys trend of that era. But I think they're gonna get there. It's just a matter of, well, let's not just rip something else off, let's make this make sense for us. And that's why, like you know, Bonanza took them this long to basically make a Minecraft in a way, it's you know, you're not like building huge structures in everything. They leaned into that in the direct, like you know, hey, sculpt with the mouse and everything like that. So they're they're getting there just when it makes sense for them.
Speaker 2: To do so.
Speaker 3: Now, somebody in Chad also makes a great point the reason we might not have seen this yet is because of Nintendo coming off of me Verse and all of the interesting drawlings. Let's say that happened there, they may be like, oh, we can't do user generated content.
Speaker 1: Ever, again, technology is not where we need it to be.
Speaker 3: We need more dick detection, dammit.
Speaker 1: I think wherever that is, I believe in just you know, working away in that room like work for an intendent uh not shingy profit and intended together.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, this seems like a job exclusively for a digital profit. Not only that, but to also advise them to stop using the letter oh and number zero interchangeably in codes for the Nintendo's actually good about that, right because they still did that.
Speaker 1: No, No, they have it so like it's not only to do the is it not the like you can't use both. They gray out all the things they don't use on the keyboard. When you the code, it might not work on uh if you're doing it on the website, because obviously got it, you're on.
Speaker 2: Billboard there if you figured that out. Dick detection is the next logical step detection detection.
Speaker 1: We don't have a lot of other games that we've been playing, so that was a pretty hefty uh what we have been playing segment. I'll just say real quick, I'll be able to talk about Ninja Guide in a rage bound next week. I can't say anything else at this point, but yeah, looking forward to talking about that game for sure.
Speaker 2: Very good. All right, Well that means we're going to take a break. When we come back, we'll get into the news. Stick around, we'll be right back. Hello, and welcome back to the Giant Bomb Cast. I believe news is in the air, Isn't that right, Jeff Grubb?
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: I had to turn down way too much.
Speaker 1: There we go. This feels official, sor right, everybody who've.
Speaker 2: Got some news.
Speaker 1: Also, just let me get back away from these emails. I forgot to put emails and jamas out. He usually does that, even when he's out, he usually does that, but this time he's very out. So going from that, go over to the headlines.
Speaker 2: Here, here we go.
Speaker 1: Microsoft has re first plans to charge eighty dollars for The Outer World's two. Microsoft originally was going to charge eighty dollars for this and a bunch of its other holiday games.
Speaker 2: A few weeks back.
Speaker 1: You might remember they said, hey, just let you all know we're charging eighty dollars for games going forward, starting with The Outer Worlds Too, which is coming out October twenty ninth. Well, they have gone back on that decision is now seventy dollars instead of eighty, and people are kind of happy it's only seventy dollars, but so quite a move there. This also applies to Call of Duty, and there's a Grounded two. Maybe, I don't know, there's other games coming out this year. I don't think ground of two is going to be that much, but yeah, so they are postponing it. That does not mean they will never charge eighty dollars for a game. They probably will do so sometime next year. Everyone sort of speculating.
Speaker 2: Oh, Gears of War e day, they could easily do.
Speaker 1: That for eighty dollars at that point, probably get away with it, and now people will know it's coming and be like, oh, okay, at least we didn't pay eighty dollars for the Outer World too. What do you guys think happened here?
Speaker 3: We talked about this on the message last week with my tinfoil hat theory that it was never going to be My theory is that was never going to be eighty dollars. They just put it out there to see what fan reaction would be like, and Out of World's two was a safe enough game that they could do that and reverse decision later on. I was told that was too smart for Microsoft, but I really, I really do think that that they just were kind of like, let's test the waters here and we can, you know, save ourselves if we want, if we need to, and back up on this price. And that's exactly what happened. I don't think you're going to see eighty dollars from first Party until Gears of War e day. Like you said, I think that's one where they can justify yes, here it is new Gears of War that you've been waiting for. This is where we're going to go up to. Now they're going to have egg on their face because they were like, well, why did you renegge before and now you're going to go back to it now. And the only answer they're going to have is, well, it's Gears of War, which is prime Microsoft these days just likes to put themselves back themselves in the corners they didn't have to back themselves into in the first place.
Speaker 1: Professional Rake Stepper Honor Company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, exactly right, I think.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Mike, sorry, well just I think the grounded version of the conspiracy theory. Yeah, I think you're onto it there where they were they need to try it with something. They needed to test the wire, you know, quote nquote we need They don't have to, but they needed to try it eventually for something if they're going to charge more. Uh, this was not the game to do it on, Like you're saying, no, that is Gears of War or the next Halo or something like that. Yeah, this was a weird one to try it out on. But I do think that they were just trying it and seeing, all right, is this going to work? Oh no, it did not work. Pre Orders are bad and everyone hates us, like take it back to Yeah, I mean it.
Speaker 2: It sucks to admit that there is like zero consequences also of this, Like there's not someone who's like I am now just never going to play the outer world, like you know what I mean, Like if there is, that's a very small population. And the thing that sucks is like you kind of can just do this now, you kind of can just like you know, test defenses a little bit and see. I think all that's really netted out of this is the discovery that like you can charge eighty dollars for a game, but there's a there's sort of a unknown list of titles that earn that level of expense, right, and like it's this undefined list of games, and we all will sort of like figure that the market kind of will you know, decide that I guess.
Speaker 1: Right, And but that what this does is it, you know, moves that window of like acceptable game prices even higher because now because now people are like very ready to settle on the seventy dollars price, and you know we were months ago people are still like kind of complaining about that, be like, yeah, seventy dollars per game, that's too expensive.
Speaker 2: That's done.
Speaker 1: We're not having that conversation anymore. It's eighty dollars and seventy dollars is well cemented into place.
Speaker 2: Exactly what it does is it just lowers the defense over a long enough period of time, Yeah, where it kind of just like chips away at that resistance and normalizes it.
Speaker 4: That's really another way, Juiff, I think you're ons on though, of Like the reason there's not gonna be an effect from all this, in part is people feel how they feel about Microsoft right now. People are either just they hate Microsoft and they want nothing to do with them. I'm slowly leaning into that with all the layoffs and everything, or they're just gonna play the games no matter what. And so this hasn't really changed anything because that's just where the company is at right now.
Speaker 1: Real quick, I was like speculated them on it was Gronditude. Grounditude's only thirty dollars. It's in early access.
Speaker 3: There's no way thanks more so so early access today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I'm like, I'm gonna download it as soon as we're done. Maybe try to find some way to play it this week. Sean, you're gonna be around to play it. No, our buddy's going to EVO. Everybody have fun. Hollow Knight Silk Song will be playable at Gamescom. Xbox confirms Hollow Knight's Silk Song will be playable at Gamescom twenty twenty five. It was announced in twenty nineteen. I think Mike played it around twenty nineteen or twenty twenty allegedly. Yeah, and now yeah, it's gonna be there. This game feels like it might actually come out this year. They said it's coming out this year, but they've said such things before. Here it is, and now people are gonna get a chance to go hands on. I don't know at this point, like, can it live up to expectations? What do you guys think the release date's gonna be.
Speaker 3: The fact that it's tied to the Rock ally X kind of or Rock the Xbox Rock Ally excuse me, is kind of worrying. I feel like, here's the thing I.
Speaker 1: Think that real quick is they made it sound like it's tied together, but Team Cherry went on like it later to say it is not like a launch game for the Xbox rog l i X. They definitely are associated, but I don't know if tied is the right word.
Speaker 4: Because they want people to think of it as a console.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the does the fact that the smoking mirrors exist, in the fact that the game has taken so long to come out, there's a lot of red flags. I want to be wrong. I want this game to be as well received as the first one, but something about it just is not sitting right with me. And if it comes out and people are underwhelmed or just whelmed instead of being, you know, crazy about this thing, I feel like that's going to be disappointing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's got That's one of the reasons I think it has taken so long is that people making the game are well aware of how they be a disappointed follow up, and they are so used to the praise. They're like, man, we got to get this way, we got to get this right. I do not envy any indie studio that's in that position. All like, there's a handful of them that like put out just banger game and they're going to do the follow up, and now they got to live up to that, and a lot of those end up taking ten years for that reason of Oh, those expectations must weigh heavy on their shoulders. With release news expected soon, Metroid Prime four has been rated. This is from Andy Robinson VGC over there he spotted someone else might have spotted. The South Korea's Classification Board has rated Metroid Prime four.
Speaker 2: Usually not always, but usually.
Speaker 1: When that happens, we get the game six weeks to sixteen weeks later, something that it could come out any time before the end of the year is the reality here. But this is like signs of life. It also is signs that, man, they should tell us when that game's coming out here relatively soon. That goes toward the rumored Nintendo Direct that is supposed to happen this week. I'm still hopeful for that. You know, when a Direct usually happens, usually happens on like a Wednesday or Thursday. So we can still get it this week, and if we do, I fully expect them to give us the give us the release date. But I'm thinking probably November, maybe December, even for this game. It feels like they are going full on into the year for Metro Prime four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if it's not the week before Black Friday, which is a sweet spot they like to release their big games in, it'll be I think maybe two weeks after, like in that first week, second week of December sort of slot there. But we do kind of have to have that July Nintendo Direct soon, right, We're running out of July. There's over yet to be fair, So Nate the hate you have one day for an announcement.
Speaker 4: If it's not.
Speaker 3: If a Nintendo Direct is not announced at nine am Eastern tomorrow, you may have been wrong.
Speaker 1: So Nate, you have my blessing to yell at Jason Nelly dip shit around the hell I said that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hey, I'm looking forward to it. I hope he's right, but you know, he's got he's got forty eight hours and then he's wrong.
Speaker 1: He's also not the only one. VGC has also said they heard of Direct is happening. I think one's gonna happen. I think the question is is going to be a main Direct, a Mini or something. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there is.
Speaker 2: I don't know how. What's usually the time period between them announcing in the direct?
Speaker 3: It could be like twenty four hours, right, twenty five hours.
Speaker 1: Usually they have occasionally done it where they did not announce anything and they just released it, like Shadow dropped it and that was a Nintendo Direct Mini. So it could be anything.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they've announced it two days ahead of time. Most of the time usually it's about one day. So, okay, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Speaking in twenty four hour increments, there's plenty of July left.
Speaker 4: I'm just looking forward to this getting rated because that said is a real product that we will have semi soon.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a real product, Sean.
Speaker 4: I can tell you that it's hard to believe. Like Derff, you might not know U about me. I'm a huge Metroid fan. Yeah, and I've it was rough for a long time there, for a solid decade. It sucked to be a Metroid fan, but I'm getting the dread, not not actual dread, but the Metroid dread effect all over again. Where Oh my god, it's been so long since Prime three, y'all. I was in middle school when Prime three dropped. It's been that freaking.
Speaker 2: Long to say that, Yeah, that sucked actually for you.
Speaker 4: Guys and me, but I just had to put one on the podcast at least once.
Speaker 2: The back of my brain was like, all right, left, throw of the man there and then just gave up. Was like.
Speaker 4: Almost twenty years since Metroid Prime three came out, and like waiting that long for a game that only happens so often. So I'm so looking forward to this.
Speaker 1: I don't believe you. I don't think that I don't just refuse him.
Speaker 2: We refuse what you just said.
Speaker 1: We're just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like Metroid too. I also think it's like, you know, I guess yeah, but you're right. It's like two decades go by and you're like, I haven't played a substantial entry in this thing in a while. It's like even is it even real anymore? It just Metro Prime and Metro Prime three. I guess two did not stick with me. In the way that one in three did is weird.
Speaker 1: It's it's not as good as the one for sure. Yeah, I yeah, I'm with you, Sean.
Speaker 2: I I doesn't sound like I'm as much of a sicko as you are, but I certainly am looking forward to this.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And also for the fact that, like Dan has it on his Fantasy Critics.
Speaker 1: So sweet, he's got his counterpick, so he thinks it's not going out this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean as someone who completely borked their counterpick as well this year, and also having six.
Speaker 1: I counterpicked GT six. My I'm the one who's counter who's crazy counterpick actually worked out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're the smart guy all along.
Speaker 3: Hey, I drafted GTA six and unnamed third three D Mario Platform or he got right.
Speaker 2: So Mike had the number one pick and he picked unnamed three D Mario Platform with the first pick. He was that confident you work out.
Speaker 4: Nicky called us all idiots for not picking Mario Kart after World came out. God, glad I didn't pick Mario Carrall. It's probably not as high as it we thought it would have been.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: I think it's like high eighty still, right, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 1: It's maybe getting points, but you're not getting all the points.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like a ninety five like we thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a first that's not a first round draft performance.
Speaker 3: That you got.
Speaker 2: We got to do an update on the draft here. Sometimes we do eighty seven.
Speaker 4: By the way, for Mario kartt World's high. I think it's still more than my pick. I think I picked Doom and that flopped for me as well.
Speaker 2: So for all losers and all I all I do looking at my list is like, where are the games that I've picked, Like, where are they coming out?
Speaker 1: What is their story? Give me give us one? What is and you are you looking at it? Like what's on?
Speaker 2: Officially it's like, you know, skate story I'm not expecting, but it's like, I'm very obsessed with this little game that speaks to me in ways that I can't really put into words. It's coming out this year, yes, uh you know, so, I'm And then you know Silent Hill f that's got a date, right, that's got over.
Speaker 1: I think God that was Yeah, that's wild that they dated that. Yeah, I'm still not it comes like that. Selling Hill Too just came out last year, and they already have Selling Hill f ready to go.
Speaker 2: While yeah, all right, let's keep going here.
Speaker 1: H Io has hidden its entire not safer work Games library, and then some as payment product providers pressure stores. Uh, this is the ongoing story. Happened with Valve and Steam last week. Steam seem to be a little bit more capable of picking the offending games that were that sort of broke the rules set down by payment process payment processors who have been influenced by these anti porn crusader groups. I think in Australia or from somewhere wherever, and so Valve was able to just pick a few games get them off the store, and I think they're probably gonna take down more games as this goes along. Itch did not seem to have this internal capacity to like pick and choose, so any game that was tagged with adult at all was removed from the store. And I said, they'll try to bring back as many games as they can, but they also said for sure some games won't be coming back. This is sort of just the way some of these things go, where these very you know, insular groups can go to these processing companies and demand that they don't allow their technology to be used to purchase certain things, and I don't. I think these are relatively conservative companies in all senses of the word conservative, where they're like, you know, politically conservative, but also conservative in terms of decision making and not wanting to take any risks or not wanting to get the headline of oh, MasterCard is a porn pro porn group or whatever, and so they're like, whatever, we'll just do this, leave us alone, and now here we are you cannot use I guess you can't. It's not that you can't use your master card. It's like you cannot make one of these games and then make money on Steam and Hio anymore because someone might use a visa or a MasterCard to make that purchase and that has been disallowed. It seems like it's going to keep spreading too, Like they started with Valve, they went here and it's like okay, they're going to just move on to the next target. And of course it's like you say, I don't buy porn games. It's affecting all kinds of games. There was one that was just like a joke on adulting, and that got taken down because they had the word adult in it. And it's going to as always, you know, the stated goal is we are going after these deviants and their pornography and the underlying you know, dog whistle, but it's so loud it barely qualifies as a dog. So they're going after LGBTQ people.
Speaker 2: And the good news here.
Speaker 1: The one side of the story that is similar bright is it seems like a lot of people who considered consider themselves gamers hate this, and they are calling up the credit card companies and trying to tie up their phone lines with complaints about this, trying to fight back against it. And it's like if there is one group, one sort of a group of consumers that knows how to get loud and annoying, it's gamers. And so I'm like feeling a little hopeful that they can get in the ass of these companies and maybe change the way that this is being handled, because it's happened in other place, It's happened like OnlyFans definitely got targeted before things like that, So hopefully that the fight can maybe end here and some pushback and some sanity can return.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I've only been kind of anecdotally following this story, and I don't know if you are if you have the appetite to unpack it and sort of every company to do it. I heard like Hassan talking about it a little bit. What is the driving force? Like what and and how are they able to manifest this amount of influence.
Speaker 1: So it's an Australian group called a collective shout right, yes, and they are. I think they're just very good at getting the ear of these companies. How they're able to do that, I think it was something we're still not sure about.
Speaker 2: But that's my question, right, because all of these freaky groups are out there, But like it's the power, it's the influence that I'm like not clear about.
Speaker 1: My guest, My guess would be it's like like there's someone connected at a group like this that knows how to get a hold of like you're not necessarily a lobbyist, but knows how that process works and is able to get the ear of someone important at MasterCard and Visa and things like that. And it probably does come from like the world of lobbying and religious lobbying, but I don't know for sure.
Speaker 3: Well, I remember reading that there was some far right wing Chrysto Christo nationalist aka crysto fascist groups uh that were providing access or money or something to this Australian group, and the Australian group was just the mouthpiece, right, because that's how this ship works. You get someone who was willing here we go, Jeff, there's you get someone who is willing to be the voice for this, and you have all these cowards in the background who just throw the money because they know they'll do what they want them to do. This is the same thing that happened back when the FCC declared radio and television wasn't covered because some priest in Mississippi decided he didn't want to hear what was on the radio, and instead of just turning the fucking thing off, he decided that everybody else had to be like him and no different than that.
Speaker 1: And he's the same playbook over and over. It's about the kids.
Speaker 3: It's the kids, the kids. No, No, it's because you don't want to be inconvenience and have to teach your kids if you don't want them to.
Speaker 1: They just got done er off to this stuff and they got to go everyone else's problems. They're like, we know what's going on here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, My my thing is, get the fuck out of them, Get the fuck out of here. Leave us alone. Man, We're not messing with you. We're not We're not messing We're not messing with you. And the fact that anytime you go out and talk about how much you love Jesus, you are, if you want to get into it, disobeying his words in the Bible themselves. I have receipts people.
Speaker 1: Pretty nasty piece of literature. Also, if you're really sure.
Speaker 3: And the people sh yeah, the people who love to say that they're you know, protecting kids and the moral, the moral, the minority, or whatever the hell they call themselves, can just fuck right off. Mind your own business. Let people do what they want to do in the privacy of their own if they're not hurting anybody, if no one's being hurt, and they are kids sending adultstery, kids sending of things on their own time with their own money, leave them the fuck alone.
Speaker 4: That's my two CENTI No, no, absolutely on topic like this, Jason, because like that's the problem is that they see people existing different from them and they just can't allow that because that is in their mind twisted from what morality should be. And that's the way biggots always are. They see someone who is different from themselves and they say this cannot be allowed to stand. And that is fucked up because the hilarious thing in all of this is that these absolute morons on the Internet have been whiny and bitching about like censorship. This censorship that when like, you know, a game gets localized in way to like cover up an underage girl or something like that. But this is literal censorship. This is an outside force saying you can't have this thing because someone didn't like the way that was presented, or they're trying to force values on you. And I'm glad to see that people are getting loud and angry about this, because this is the kind of thing that we actually need need to get loud and angry about it. I know, you know, I'm often maybe even a little heavy hand in saying, man, shut the fuck up and just enjoy video games, but like, this is the thing. This is the reason I say bathe your anger and your energy, because this is the thing we need to get loud, vocal, and angry about because otherwise it's gonna be a snowball effect. And you know, first it's like oh, we're just getting rid of the porn. It's like, oh no, we're getting rid of the porn related to queer people. Then we're getting rid of queer people. And it's just it all flows from that bigoted point.
Speaker 2: Of view that is a that to me is obviously the troubling thing is the slippery slope stuff and and just calling it out for what it is and not this you know, bullshit excuse up front of like, oh we're doing this trying to avoid some kind of content. It's rough. It's wow. We are just we're just following the Dystopian playbook page by over and over and over. We're like we saw a Vfa Vendett and we're like, oh, let's do this part like right now, that one part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's it's insane. What a fucking night are yep?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: These people just want to punish others because it's they see other people enjoying aspects of themselves that they hate about themselves, Like this thing is inside me and I'm ashamed of it and I hate it, and they see it in other people and they're celebrating, they're prideful about it, and they want to punish them and.
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, that's that is It's sick and we gotta stop.
Speaker 1: It here because it will just keep continuing if we don't. Uh. Sony South Tencent claiming its Light of Motoram game is a slavish clone of its Horizon series, and I don't know, let me just take a look at this thing. Oh my god, that's just Horizon. Uh. This is one of another instances of this, but this one feels even more egregious than a lot of the other instances of this, so much so that Sony said that a couple of years ago and twenty twenty three, ten Cent began developing the Light of Motoram and then came to Sony and said, hey, can we license Horizon because we're all pready making a Horizon game. Would you mind if we just borrowed the IP for a bit, And Sony said no, tense, it kept making the game and now they're promoting it and if you look at it, it's just the red haired lady from the Horizon. It's so not funny that it's hilarious.
Speaker 4: It's yes, I remember the game as Mornings, where you like first talked about this story like a while back. It was either you're the host. Grub was just like I saw this on a timeline this morning and thought a new Horizon got announced.
Speaker 2: The show.
Speaker 1: It's nuts.
Speaker 2: Show me this sketch of this where it's like, oh, what they've got animal mech Walker's too. Oh yeah, they called them mechanimals animals.
Speaker 3: The only thing this game is missing is that the name Light of Motoram or whatever the name is, isn't an anagram of Horizon zero down. Yeah, that's the only thing that would make this better if they just rearrange the letters to make a different name. Like, what what do they think they did? You think we're dumb?
Speaker 4: Do they do?
Speaker 3: They do they think we don't have? Yeah? I guess they do.
Speaker 2: I was trying there, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was sort of on the fence, like because people say that derivative games sometimes become their own thing, and I was like, yeah, but this is even in that first image, this is very very close. And then we find out that they actually pitched it. We're told no, and we're like a few, We're gonna do it anyway.
Speaker 4: Come on, guys, this isn't even like Palow World, where at least Power World has its own like gameplay style and everything they were going for. If they're rip off designs, this is Krack and Yoshi, the you know, the urban legend all over again.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: They're just like, hey, well if we pitch this, no, we'll make our own with black chack and hookers. You know.
Speaker 2: This is why. I mean, they didn't even choose a different color palette. No, No, they.
Speaker 4: Agree looks like literal Yeah veg or VG twenty four to seven has a if you like Google image search for a light of motor amy. Scrolled down a little bit, there's comparisons between the two key arts that are just like beat for beat, exactly the same.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, I mean, I get being inspired by something, but you got to change it else. The teacher is going to know you copyed the homework. Bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really real obvious here. I mean, so what is the suit result in I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think any jury, any judge, is gonna look at this and go, clearly they copied you. Is that they copy you in an a legal way. It's going to be different by country, So I'm not sure what the result will be here. I bet that they do find some way to come to a conclusion and maybe this game gets canceled or if it is forced to legally change a certain percentage of how it presents, But I don't know. I'm also like at a certain point, like this is it's embarrassing, Like I would never want to be someone who did this myself. But if this thing existed, I don't I don't know how much of a real threat it is to Horizon, although I say that and then maybe two years from now becomes one of those one of the biggest game in the world.
Speaker 2: The way that what is the Mijoyo game Sean the Breath of the Wild?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, get you. Yeah. That's also the thing is that this regardless of what this game is, unless it is a sixty dollars game the release hand Steam, which I'd imagine it's not. I'd imagine some free to play costume driven gotscha driven something. They were never going to exist in the same world. It's just you can't rip off the art in that way. And so it's definitely what you said, some judge somewhere is gonna have to be like, all right, you guys need to sell this. Here's the percentage I'm tossing out there of what you need to change.
Speaker 3: Yes, as someone someone no, go ahead, Jason. As someone points out in chat, this will be the mobile Legends Bang Bang to Horizon zero Dolin's League of Legends. That is a perfect analogy.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly when they went to Sony in what was it, four three, twenty twenty four. Yes, when they went to well, Sony was like.
Speaker 2: Uh no, and also, don't do that, Like did they say that? I would assume it probably did. Have you one, Yeah, well we have you on the phone. Cease and desist, Like I don't understand, like did they how did that? How did that back and forth end? They probably because it probably is like one side of the call is like, hey, we're not going to give you the license, and then they just assumed it would be understood at that point.
Speaker 1: So now you can't make this game that you've showed us. You are not allowed to do that anymore. And maybe ten Cent's like okay, all right, cool and hangs up. It's like we're going to do this anyhow. It probably went like that, which is another wild aspect of this. But yeah, I don't know, I'm curious. I kind of want to see what it plays like. I don't know if there's been video out there or anything like that, but.
Speaker 3: I haven't that that cease and desist doesn't bother me because I can't read it. I'm just gonna do it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Tatari has agreed to acquire Thunderful for around four point five million Euro, which is about five million dollars. The deal subject to shareholder approval, with a vote scheduled for late August. This expands Atari's European publishing and development capabilities. Thunderfold is known for steam World, but they've also published a bunch of games. They did that Viewfinder game that someone else made publish right that is a company. Thunderful has had a lot of successful games, but they've also hit a rough patch recent I think they had a bunch of layoffs. Yea, okay, a fifth of their staff was laid off after what they called over investment. They did the thing everyone else did, had a bunch of money, a bunch of cheap money out of the pandemic, and then ended up investing a ton of that and not many of those bets hit and now here they are. Five million does feel a little bit low for a kind of a decent sized publisher. So I think things are probably pretty rough there. Did they also do that game from the play Dead Person Summerville? I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty two, they acquired jump Ship, the creator.
Speaker 3: Who did Okay, okay. My My thing about this is I'm hoping Atari is practicing a little bit of h They're holding themselves back a little bit here and not embracing old trends. If you understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but go ahead, right.
Speaker 3: That's an extreme case, don't get me wrong, But like I feel like every couple of months, in a certain cadence, we hear about one of these acquisitions Digital Eclipse in Nighttive being the more recent ones, that I would hate for Atari to be the next test case of acquisitions and mergers going berserk like we had in that situation. Granted, four and a half million euros five point one nine million dollars not a huge investment, but I don't know. I Ever since Embracer, I hear M and A are one company doing a lot of acquisitions, and I start to get antsy. So I just hope that they're they're figuring they have it all figured out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's and I should point out Atari acquired eighty two percent of the Thunderful group. Actually not the entirety of it, but yeah, you're right, I do think that like I could, I could see the strategy still with Atari, right where with Embracer when they were making all those acquisitions, we were all like, why what are you doing with all this?
Speaker 2: This is a lot of stuff. What's the plan? Hey?
Speaker 1: Can hey Winger? First it was the name of the CEO is last Lars Lars Winger? First, Can I have an interview so I can ask you the question why are you doing this? And he never respotted, never got an answer, and they never ever want to let me interview that guy. I think in this case, like night Dive limited run games, they also acquired them, right is that is that right? Or maybe maybe I mixed that up. They definitely acquire night Dive like they a little bit run for Embracer.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's right.
Speaker 1: That was the Embracer like for Atari, like their stated goal for the last couple of years was like, we are going to really play in the retro throwback space, and so you know, a night Dive acquisition made a lot of sense. Then be like, okay, now we're acquiring a Thunderfold to help us with our publishing in Europe and say, Okay, that just feels like a natural extension of what they're already doing. I think if it continues, if snowballs, it starts going in a direction where I can't even begin to fathom the reason why they made the acquisition, I would worry. But for now I'm like, Okay, this still feels like an atari that has an idea of what it wants to be and it's just trying to execute on that. But we'll see.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, last handful of stories here. Following Suicide Squad's flop, Warner Brothers is hiring for another live service game. Warner Brothers Games is hiring for a new live service game despite the commercial and critical failure of Suicide Squad Killed the Justice League. The job listing for an executive producer role specifies leading the development of a high quality triple A game based on one of its iconic ips from the vast Warner Brothers in DC Comics catalog, with the role including overseeing all phases of development from concept to post launch live operations. To suggest they continued to push for live service although you know it could be on anywhere on a spectrum of various live service capabilities for any game. So maybe it's not a full on suicide squad. It could be something smaller that has live service elements to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They I say that to be like, oh, maybe they're not going all in on another one of these. But I think after Harry Potter did really well that Hogwarts Legacy, they were talking in like Earning's calls about how the next Harry Potter that game needs to be live service. After Hogwarts Legacy made like all the money in the world, so even when they have a massive success, they were still like eyeing over there, like we still want to just be doing live service. This feels like it's part of that where they're like, we are just going to keep going in that space. But I ask you guys, like, what thing do they have that would be a good fit for this or does that just not fit for how you guys want to play games anyhouse you don't answer, I have an idea.
Speaker 3: How about they make a free to play platform fighter with a bunch of their ips and an all star cast in a genre that the big one went away Smash Brothers. So they could just go right in and fill that vacuum, and everything would be great. You could have characters from DC Comics and Scooby Doo and and all the other WB franchises that you don't even think about. Hey, hey, that basketball player was in space jam. Maybe Lebron doing what's he doing?
Speaker 2: Maybe he could do that?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know. Maybe I should give Hadad and Zaslav a call and see if they would be open to this idea exactly what they were looking for?
Speaker 2: Sorry, what the hell are they?
Speaker 4: What the hell are they looking for? Like? Do they not know live service can be things like multi Versus that is, you know, yeah, we just trickle out a little bit of content. We reap easy, you know, a couple million every you know, like a month or two. What do they think it needs to be? Is kind of why I'm wondering. Are they looking at old examples like MMOs like World of.
Speaker 1: War crafts on?
Speaker 4: Are they looking at Fortnite? I'd assume that a Fortnite butte That's what multi Versus was, So I'm not sure what the hell they're looking for here?
Speaker 3: They I don't They just want make money now, they want line go up, and they're gonna throw ideas and more importantly, people at the wall until something or someone or whatever sticks and it's infuriating.
Speaker 2: Well, you'll get you'll get money from me if you take all of the legacy adult Swim properties and smash them up into a live service. Figure out a way for me to like space Ghost and Aquitine with the brac and uh, you know Harvey bird Man and right like, figure that out and I'll give you a couple of dollars.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah, I would love to see that. I think the things we're talking about's yes, stuff I would like to see. I don't know if Warner Brothers is interested in any of this, and them trying to make like the online live service Hogwarts legacy game. Bet that is not going to be what those people who bought that game want.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I was just thinking, remember Harry Potter Wizards Unite by any chance? Yeah, yeah, when they're like, hey, Pokemon go, that's a big thing. Let's make Harry Potter Pokemon go. And just nobody gave a ship so Pickman.
Speaker 1: The Pickman Bloom game lasted longer than that Harry Potter one, but it's also probably.
Speaker 2: A cheaper license.
Speaker 4: Also still going, isn't it, Yes, all the time.
Speaker 2: Lord of the Rings they own Lord of the Rings too.
Speaker 1: Right, No, the Lord of the Rings was Embracer Group. Embracer Oh, I thought.
Speaker 4: Embrace that's right, Yeah, Embrace.
Speaker 3: From them.
Speaker 2: They might have bought it from them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't remember, but that has an MMO already, that Lord of the Rings online, which is still going strong after what twenty years maybe more.
Speaker 4: That was my first thought, is like they could do some like DC Universe online. But then I'm like, eh, the era of making an MMO like that, like it was more sustainable when like graphics could be lower fidelity and everything like that. So I don't know if that's a that's something that don't want to do anymore.
Speaker 2: All right, enough of that.
Speaker 1: I got the Fight Boys here, so YU tell me about the Flex Strike from PlayStation It is their fight stick coming to twenty twenty six. Don't think we got a price, right, but you are people are gonna be able to go hands on with this thing at EVO.
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 3: Apparently not if you read If you read the blog, it says that the only place it's going to be at EVO is at the end of their museum in a case so you can look at it, and you can look at the carrying case that comes with it. If you read the PlayStation blog, unless I've read that wrong, it is just gonna be in the in the display case. In the If you're not familiar with Evo, they have a museum section which is full of half artwork from famous fighting game related artists and half fight sticks through the years. And it's just case after case of old fight sticks, like old arcade panels and stuff like that. And apparently the end of this is going to be this Flex Strike with a little preview coming in twenty twenty six, what have you.
Speaker 4: That's so much sense. That also makes so much sense because like the museum is basically Mark Man's closet and he's working on the Flex Strike or like like you know, it's Evo, it's Sony, it's Mark and everything, like it makes sense for it to be there. At least. Yeah, I hope they at least have like a demo station with protype. Maybe it's not proto type ready. Maybe it's a little further out than we think because.
Speaker 1: Render, right, we saw the render in the in the trailer for that.
Speaker 4: Maybe they will really just have Hell already a go, and that's why it's going to a museum, but we can't get hands on when like people are playing token and stuff.
Speaker 3: Right, I think this is going to launch day and date with Marvel Token. I really do think. I think the two of them are going to count, maybe even in one scenario bundled together where the flex Strike has special Marvel Token designs on it or something like that, kind of like how the Razor keats and A had the Akuma one and the Cami one and the chun Lee one, where if you get it together, they didn't come with the game, the Razor didn't, but in this case, if they if you buy them together, the stick will have special artwork. I think that makes a lot of sense. But I think it looks cool aut it. I think it's it's the first wireless one. Right. People were wondering why PlayStation was licensing a wall. Yeah, there was a comment somebody made, well, this is why PlayStation wasn't letting third parties make wireless sticks, because they're making it. I think it looks really neat. I think it's really cool that you can just on the back of it. Uh, there are three pieces one is for circular, one is for square, and one is for octagonal movement, and you can just snap them in and out as you please. Yeah, whatever is whatever's most comfortable for you.
Speaker 4: That's that's has been on like consumer grade arcade sticks by sticks for a long time now, but it's always been saying where even the ones that do easily opened up, you have to like take off the gate because it's like an arcade style gate. This is like it looks like a much easier just a small piece they snap on off to make it. Yeah, whatever shape you want the stick to move in, which different shapes are better for different games and different play styles, Like a circle gate, for example, you can imagine is good for grapplers where you need to do three sixty sweeping motions right very quickly and stuff. Yeah, that's what they're going for there. It is weird that even this needs the PlayStation link adapter, just like their headphones do and everything like that. It's weird that's not just using the proprietary Sony what is you remind me what is the link adapter? I can't play all of the wireless things. Exce Sense is a yeah, USB dongle. You need to plug it in so like, which makes sense on PC of course, Yeah, but no, you need to use it for this as well. Like at the very least they show that. Well, you can also use it with other things. You can connect two flex strikes to one adapter. You can keep using your PlayStation headset with the adapter as well. It's so weird that doesn't just work over Bluetooth or whether proprietary Bluetooth that they have or whatever.
Speaker 2: At least actually find for controller data, Like there's no story there, which is the dual sense is bad for audio but not for like controller data is so small it's not never.
Speaker 1: Been an album.
Speaker 3: I wonder if if they the PlayStation link connection. This is probably not the case, but I wonder if PlayStation has figured out a latency issue, because if there's one genre of that is worried about latency and frame drops, it's fighting game fans. So if they figured out a way that the PlayStation link is has less radio.
Speaker 4: Actual you know how because you know two point that's what Bluetooth technically is, but like Xbox has their own proprietary two point four signal, that's what they do with PlayStation link as well. And to be clear. Just to be clear, you can also use it wired yes, USBC, right USBC, Yeah, which is how people use that tournament or I think there's a tournament lock on it, like all modern fighting peripherals and stuff. I am really curious though, because the wireless is definitely be a boon for like the more casual fighting game player. Fighting game fans know what they want though, like Jason was getting at, especially people use fight sticks, because people don't use fight sticks anymore. When this gut revealed, I was surprised there was not also a leverless option, because that's what's hot right now. I wouldn't be surprised if this does decently well if they also do that. But yeah, like people who play on sticks are people who played in the arcade back in the day or learned when the fighting game community was like this is the way to play fighting games, you know, in the like early twenty tens. They're not really getting new players with this, so I'm curious to see how well this does. Because people have the option that they like, or they have like custom built something that they like, it'll be difficult to get this out there and capture a new audience. But maybe they can get enough people who like the convenience.
Speaker 1: I think I think there is a not huge, but significant and I'm using that word like squishly of overlap between fighting game fans and PlayStation sikos, and they'll they'll be the ones to go for this.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, this PlayStation is the place to play fighting games now, Japanese games releasing only on there. They bought Evo, and this is we haven't seen a ton of them doing stuff with the EVO brand. They have the PlayStation tournament stuff that was kind of part of all that. This feels like more of them actually leaning into it alongside Toko and being a first party. Arc system Works, Marvel Fighting and got them Gang. So just saying those words together, Jason on.
Speaker 5: Yourself, you're out number grub Drift doesn't care. Yeah, I don't care, but I am intrigued. So leverless is like a fight stick without a stick.
Speaker 4: You're gonna love this ship.
Speaker 1: Okay, So audio listeners, everyone just left the call.
Speaker 2: Because we all got.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, so this is.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: These four buttons.
Speaker 3: Are your directions and then your your your your attacks are here.
Speaker 2: It's without lever you see.
Speaker 4: The controller is that keyboard players want play on. So it's a keyboard, but with arcade buns.
Speaker 1: God, a lot of people learn to play like Street Fighter on a keyboard and they like discovered some benefits to that makes me ill.
Speaker 2: Les.
Speaker 4: It's just a SD space bar, which is just so much more accurate than even like a D pad or anything like that.
Speaker 3: It's if you saw the mess I made in this basement running to get that.
Speaker 4: Off the bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I just knocked down another controller because both of you just like puffed out of the frame. Did you say you didn't know something? Wait a second, All right, last story here. Lego game Boy finally revealed after months of leaks. It's gonna be sixty dollars four hundred and twenty one pieces. It's coming October first, and it looks adorable. I already pre ordered mine.
Speaker 1: It comes with cartridges for a super Wait no, it comes with yeah, Legend of Zelda, a Lynks Awakening and what else? Yeah, Super Mario Land that you could sort of display next to it, and then also has like little plates you can slide into the game Boy to make it look like you're playing Links Awakening, And it's actually the.
Speaker 2: Beach cut scene from.
Speaker 1: Lenks Awakening, which is one of my favorite things ever as a kid.
Speaker 2: So it was like immediately, oh, I got to get this thing.
Speaker 1: So it's got an actual the screen is real.
Speaker 2: The screen is not real.
Speaker 1: It is like you know, yes, so it's it's it is just like static scenes that you can slide in. I believe is how it's gonna work. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I kind of looked at it.
Speaker 1: It was just like that looks amazing, and I didn't really look to figure out how exactly it's going to function. But gonna be Yeah, it's not gonna be as robust as like the ne E s which had the TV which you could like spind a dial and like a scene with Killer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not gonna be like that. But this is really cute.
Speaker 1: I saw this this morning as well. I think this is where I draw the line though, of like the Nintendo lego stuff that I'm going to own and build, which side of the line is this on? This is on the side that I'm not gonna Okay, I've heard the line has been met with the ne e s and the uh yeah and the TV. That's all one package, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one package. Yeah, then there's some other Mario stuff, But they did some other kind They did it right.
Speaker 1: Like a world map one that out of a question box that I kind. Yeah, that's the Mario sixty four one that Mike Brother's got me for my birthday one year. Yeah, that one justify gat the nes one.
Speaker 2: I regret it.
Speaker 1: I wish. Oh there was Anarty one, right, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that was the first one.
Speaker 2: Okay, they are.
Speaker 4: The little scenes are lenticulars because I saw like they have the Nintendo dropping down as you like a little bit.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Buttons work, good question actually, because.
Speaker 2: They don't work on the the controllers.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: The reason I'm on the side of actually might get this is because it's only sixty bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was purchase price. Yeah, it's small.
Speaker 1: You put it in a little stand in your good I believe.
Speaker 4: It's one to one. Yeah, he's whole day. It looks like it's one to one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They said it's just like a fraction smaller, like a very small percentage smaller than the original Game Boy. It's very close to one to one.
Speaker 4: They wow, okay, this is detailed for sixty bucks. I'm just to put on the desk. You know.
Speaker 2: I think that's a care thing. Okay, what it going back on that side? Okay, York Times Needle. It's wavering.
Speaker 1: It's completely unreliable, is what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Unpredictable?
Speaker 1: Yeah, based, Yeah, so Super Nintendo would you would you get one of those? And I don't have the fondness for us a Superannys as I do for any as I would try. I think the one I would for sure get.
Speaker 2: I think it's in sixty four because I think that's a weird looking console and I want to see how they do.
Speaker 1: Game Cube would be cool too, But what is it like eleven pieces?
Speaker 2: Like, Yeah, it's just a big leg piece. Yeah, all right, that's gonna do it for the news ure.
Speaker 1: If I'm handing the show back over to you, I.
Speaker 2: Will take it from you with my hands and I will place it on this shelf as we dip out for one more break before we hit up emails and super chats on the other side of this break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, folks, Stay tuned, all right, welcome back to the Giant BombCast. It is that portion of the program where we look to you for emails. That's right, BombCast at Giant Bomb dot com.
Speaker 2: That's the email address. We'll get to these, we'll do some super chats after this, and we'll be on our way.
Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to the first email. Neil from Philly says, So, I've been playing Bonanza and loving it, but I couldn't help but think about what this studio does next. I fully expect them to do Mario next, and best case it'll be in the next three years, assuming DK was mostly done for years.
Speaker 1: But what then are then?
Speaker 2: Now a three D Mario and DK studio swapping back and forth. Then we get the Bethesa's studio issue of two franchises that we only see once every twelve years or so. Now that they established a new formula for DK, do they give it to another studio and focus on Mario or maybe reinvent another franchise. My hope would be to see what they could do for a three D Yoshi, Neil, you're all over the place.
Speaker 1: What do you think will happen? Or what do you want them to do?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was gonna When we were talking about DK earlier, I was like, what do you guys.
Speaker 1: Want the studio to do next? We had gone along, so I'm glad we have this email. I don't know, you know, I think ideally they'd be able to do both and do them quickly. Right in a perfect world they can handle both of these things and get one out.
Speaker 2: Every three years. Hooray.
Speaker 1: That's not going to be possible or likely. So I think the next thing they do is go back to Mario. This is the three D Mario team. They will go back to Mario. They what they do after that? Do they try to come back to DK?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you guys get the sense that now that DK is established or I go, okay, expect this to be a going thing as we move forward, because I don't necessarily feel that way.
Speaker 3: I don't see why their next game couldn't be both joint adventure. You've connected together, you've connected those franchises now in some things, so I don't see why Mario and DK couldn't partner up for a nice thing. It's been connected for a long time now, Mario versus Donkey Kong, stuff like that. So yeah, I think let's see what Let's see what the studio can do with both of them. Maybe a co op adventure, co op platform us.
Speaker 1: That's sure that I don't see it. I would be happy to see that.
Speaker 2: I feel like unfortunately that won't happen. But I mean a part of me, you know, I don't really like I like Nintendo stuff. I want to play Mario games, but like, yeah, I am curious, like when that next three D Mario, like what the timeline is on that. I think there is a bit of a sand that runs out of the Nintendo hourglass with Mario, where like you have to fill that shit back up at some point. You can't let it run out too far before it goes away. And I think, you know, some of that move is maybe replenished with Wonder, but certainly not in the three D fashion. So like, uh, you know, I gotta yeah, I don't know, Grub, you probably have the best insight to speak to this.
Speaker 1: I mean that's why I do think Mario game probably is going to come from them. So it's just too popular, right, It's too h it's too crucial to everything they're doing now, Like it's it is load bearing in terms of like the structure of like how they built the company with movies and theme parks as well. So certainly a three D Mario is going to come from this company one way or the other in the next couple of years. But then, yeah, I still I wonder it's like, Okay, do they then jump back to DK after that? Do they try to do what they do with DK doo to another character like Yoshi? I could see that, but I don't know it is going to like that next project will at that point take so long. So I think we all are assuming that maybe maybe they've had time to work on a three D Mario while DK was in the polishing phase for an extremely long amount of time. But I don't know. I think after Mario, it's all up in the air. It's a big question mark.
Speaker 2: Is it possible a different team makes the next Mario? Not the three D Mario?
Speaker 1: Not no, but it's possible that they you know, when they're making DK and they're working with a bunch of teams, there are some other teams in the credits there. I think maybe they talk about, hey, we're building up this technology and you could take it and now go make your own Yoshi game. That could be happening, But no, this is the team Kirby. Yes, a Kirby game for sure. Yeah, you could see how that would work. This is the team that will make the three D Mario game.
Speaker 4: Though yeah, it would need to be either they hand off the duty of making three D Mario two, like this is the new Mario studio with people from was this EPD eight, Like we got some people that, like, you know, pave the way for the next generation to then be the Mario studio, Like they could do that, But otherwise, this is the studio that's making the next Mario because that's how it's been since Galaxy, I believe. So that's just that's what they do. I think it's more likely that the next Decay game, or like I was saying, anything else that they do that gets handed off to someone else, because that's the kind of thing that another team could take and maybe it doesn't necessarily have the spit shine polish that EPD eight puts on the three D Marios and now Bonanza, but like they can get away with that because it's a different format, it's it's a little newer. I think we're assuming, you know, there's been a lot of conspiracy theory about like the team making this game and everything like that. I think we are all assuming a lot of things is right now. I'm curious to see what happens next because it got transitioned from Switch one switch to so we know that like at a certain point there is a little bit of like leeway there where when you transition a project from one platform to the other. Is what I trying to get at, Like the waste between Mario Ossi and DK Banazo's big, but if they're a continuing works for Switch too, it doesn't need to be as big. And I'm like, even if the next big game from them is still quite a ways off, like how long is too long? It is why I want to know from you guys, because like I think about Breath a while to Tears of the Kingdom and like that doesn't in my head. Maybe it's just because they're both switched one, it doesn't feel like that long. But it was almost the entire like console generation, it was six years, six years, yep.
Speaker 2: But I think there is a built in expectation for a Zelda to be that because those.
Speaker 1: Games are so massive. I think each franchise has its own sort of like sure in Space.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, and they just I mean, they don't want to go too long without a three D Mario on the console for sure, So what would be too long.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I think if they get like two years removed from that next movie, the next Mario movie, that's way too long because that's just a ton of money left on the table, and they don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: Ideally, you have everything pop off within like three months of each other, you know, like yep, so when is the movie? What's the next year? I think it's twenty six, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The twenty six or twenty seven, I can't remember.
Speaker 2: Who's to say.
Speaker 4: What are years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, April third, twenty twenty six, it is next year. So yeah, well so, I mean I'm.
Speaker 4: Looking at EPD eight's like a wiki page now, and it does seem like as time moves on, they are just getting further and further big gaps between the mainline marios that they make, because like Galaxy to Galaxy two was three years, and then like Galaxy two, the three D World was three years, and then three D World Aussie it was four years. Seems like the gap is kind of just widening as they're getting a little more ambitious with the things that they want to.
Speaker 1: Pull off, and they're still there testing stuff, yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, and they're still putting out games with the support of other Nintendo studios, but does feel like maybe we do just have to wait a while for the next big three D Mario. I know that it feels like that is an essential thing they need to put out. Maybe we just get something smaller or easier to put out, like a two Mario or Ossy two is just Odyssey too, because that would be easier to think. I'm curious.
Speaker 1: I gotta say like now that uh de Bonanza is like so Odyssey kind of coded, like I feel like an Odyssey too, I would be a bit let down at the I don't. I don't think they do an Odyssey too. I think it's been too long. If they if they do something that is still connected to this, it's in a whole other direction, but it maybe continue some stuff. But I just don't think they would do an Odyssey too at this point. That would be the side of always out then, wasn't it If they're doing something fresh, I mean maybe I don't know so. I mean the reason that the conspiracy theories are out there is, you know, they did hire a new director to oversee Bonanza, so you know, maybe there was someone else and we're still.
Speaker 2: Working on Mario. That that this people kind of I think, I think that's easy. The cope is definitely there for sure. But I do think it's easy because there have been pretty cataclysmic surprises in that capacity where it's like it's not completely out of the realm of possibility, right, I mean.
Speaker 1: No, we'll see. I just I think for Nintendo they look at it as Mario is so crucially important that they want to get it right. So it could still take some time, yeah, but I think there this is a company that feels really obsessed with timing things out right now, you know the DK game launching, between DK getting introduced in the Mario movie at with that new design, and as the Universal Studios thing is opening right around that same time, and as that movie's about to come out. None of that's coincidence. That's all that's planning out, And I think they will have a similar thing with that next Mario movie and do it as best as they possibly can, with the realities of game development still taken into consideration there.
Speaker 4: Now, Chet does point out this year is the fortieth anniversary yep, yep. Do you think Man's plans something out because forty does have.
Speaker 3: It just clears the way from Mario time Machine too. Come on, guys, yeah, what the world really wants?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like, you know, he's just getting his prostate check now, you.
Speaker 2: Know, prostate simulator. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But thirtyth was Super Mario Maker. That's that was a huge deal. But it's also thirty.
Speaker 2: Thirty five was the collection three D All Stars Day.
Speaker 4: And Bowser's Fury all right, yeah, oh those those are both like you know, in the Grand Scam thing, smaller things. Maybe they do have something of that level.
Speaker 1: For this year's Surrey always gave me the sense that like that was going to be the next very big thing, and then they're like, we're close, but we're not quite there yet. So let's just scale this down and put it as an add on as we get ready to make the next thing, and that's going to be d K Bonanza apparently, So we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the next email here, Stephen Pasadena says, Hey, gang, I've been playing a ton of Donkey Kong Bonanza and I wanted to share that thanks to you guys. Whenever I pick up the lift off or that shoots you up into the sky, I reflexively yell I'm going vertical every day time? Thanks and coats on independence.
Speaker 1: Uh. Cool, cool and gross. That's how that's how he gets his wings. And you don't want to see that.
Speaker 4: Someone said they they call something else going vertical. I just I can't think of that phrase the same way anymore.
Speaker 2: Sorry, always been filthy.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I do think like, of all the bullshittery fuckery vernacular, going vertical. You Yeah, that's the one that seems the most important. Uh. Garrick from Los Angeles, Hey, duders, I still fantasize about using the GameCube controller concept that Nintendo showed but never released when the Wii was still the Revolution. It's like you slide a we mode into the middle of a GameCube controller. Uh do you guys remember that, Jimmy jam I kind of remember it. Yeah, okay. He goes on to say, what controller or game do you still dream about using even though you never will. Uh.
Speaker 3: The controller would be the PlayStation three boomerang, of course. In the game would be Mega Man Legends three.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: That's my answer answer, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know on my screen. Hold on, let me let me position myself if you can see up there. That is signed by KG from New York Comic Con twenty eleven. I want to say the Mega Man's Legends three poster there, My god, what a hold of relic. That is the holy Grail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you get him to apologize for Mighty number nine when he got this nature in there?
Speaker 3: I don't know what if that had been announced yet, but you know, I don't know, but yeah, that's said. That would be the two that That p PS three boomerang controller always fascinated me.
Speaker 2: Just it didn't look like a double ended dildou Let's be like, yeah, how never mind creative. I just yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Didn't want to like have it fu anything or anything, but.
Speaker 2: I was intrigued by it by its position, right, Like it was always this thing of like, wow, they're really going for it with this boomerang thing. And then you know that lasted. All of it never saw the light of day.
Speaker 1: But yeah, never they were the backlash was That's one of the first times that like an ugly sonic backlash happened and kind of worked where I met that control would have been fine, but I bet the dual shock that they ended up coming out with was almost certainly better.
Speaker 4: A better control six access.
Speaker 2: As time does go on the controllers. Are they're really dialing dialing them in in a pretty I mean with a few gaps here the two paro controllers.
Speaker 1: Is I really like it? It's nice. It's not that half that makes the haptics work even better. It's it's a good controller. My answer this would be, uh, I'm not gonna say I fantasize about it. But the vitality sensor. I always wanted to see what the ideas came up with the vitalities. Yeah, so the we add on that they were announcing as like the WE was about to come out, and then everything just blew up in their faces and we're not doing that ship anymore.
Speaker 2: Was it was?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 1: Was it like just heartbeat or was it like also like blood oxygen? I think it was just heartbeat, but there could have been more to it. I could try to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were supposed to use it after you were done playing we Fit, so they could fat shame you even more yet shaming.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 3: I forgot about that. But if I could adapt to this question to what old controllers would you like to see brought back, my answer to that would be the chainsaw controller.
Speaker 1: Controller, which I actually got to use for the first time at dance house one time.
Speaker 3: Nice, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think Dan has a chainsaw as well. I should be about okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike used it to play several hours of Mary, Kate and Ash's Sweet sixteen party game for the game.
Speaker 2: As it was intended.
Speaker 4: Yep. Another thing I need to talk to Dan about maybe is I want to get us all doing this. I've mentioned it before, but Soul Caliber on Dreamcast has the Sega Best Fishing Fishing Rod controller as like a supported peripheral. Do you actually swing your weapon using the damn fishing rod?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: That's okay, that's what we need. Yeah, we need to some matches. Caliberties that stupid thing.
Speaker 2: Part of me wants like a light gun experience again, like I kind of just want Have you seen this thing the game the g Apostrophe A I am.
Speaker 1: It is a new tech that someone's developing to make light guns work on modern televisions, and it's like an all in one encompass systems. So I think it comes with the games and I can't remember what it comes with might time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I'm hopeful that the technology works promising. This one sounds promising, but if they are as good as at naming products as they are. What are you game with the word the mid What in the actual holy fuck are you doing naming this whatever.
Speaker 1: Game rhymes with the aim And so you just put aim in the middle of the game and you got the product. Baby, No more, no more discussion needed? Is gamy or Jamie?
Speaker 2: Literally ask one person, just just ask one person next time they did and that person was other than a fortune?
Speaker 4: Do you guys not know about the ascendon like gun?
Speaker 2: I remember talking about this, but what was this one?
Speaker 4: And so yeah, it's it's a modern like gun where I believe it's just for emulating like gun games, but basically, uh, it ports. I believe it's because I don't have one. I believe it puts a white border around your entire screen, which is enough for the uh, for the gun to like detect. This is the frame of the game that you're playing. This is the boundaries, and then it can just you know, whatever a driver you need to install or whatever. Yeah, you can just use a like gun on your flat screen now. But again it's you're you're not bringing back like the CRT experience. Necessarily you would add to do emulation. As far as I know, but still that's pretty neat. I think they are putting out new like gung games that support the send in as well.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, there is something about that that I just kind of want. I don't know, I'm not like a huge gun game person, but there is like house.
Speaker 1: It's weird because you're like the biggest gun guy I know, Like, you know, I am just two A stickers all over your house. Yeah, I got bare arms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that'd be sick. I did see I did see a mouse that has basically like a pistol grip that has like firing action, so you basically like, you know, it's it's basically just like a trigger and in a grip that's a mouse and you use that as like your thing, which was very dumb. I'm still going to go back to this. I said this a while ago. I don't know why mice don't have force feedback, Like, I don't know why. That's just not like a more of a common thing. There was one mouse that did have that. Vinie and I were like obsessed with for a while. But what was that thing called.
Speaker 1: It was like two hundred and fifty dollars mouse or something. It was called Swift did it. Also, it had like six axis motion tracking in it as well. Right you could like lift up the mouse and like tilted left and right.
Speaker 2: Yes, you could lift it and then change modes by by changing the angle of the mouse. It was dumb as hell and like lift point yeah, two point yeah. Oh they have a two yeah. I just googled it swift point z two. They were nice guys.
Speaker 1: We wound up working with them a little bit because they were just like, hey, you're the only you're sure talking about us a lot.
Speaker 2: Found the right weirdos. You guys want to hang out or something.
Speaker 1: You just want to be my friend.
Speaker 2: You just want to party. Yeah, I don't know, Like I couldn't remember if like the vibration also the vibration. Also, I don't know if it worked in game. I think there was a way to get it to do that. Sure I translated into it or whatever exactly. I don't understand why mice like give me that in a mouse, give me in a mouse. I just want to feel that. I want to feel something, make me feel something. All right, we've got a couple more here, Oh, here we go, Okay, maybe I can partake in this.
Speaker 1: Do me read this one and you could try to win it and try to do it. Sure, I hope there's no answers there. Okay, yeah, I've hidden them.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: From from Connor from Victoria, British Columbia High. After listening to last week's episode, in hearing the quiz about the original six NHL teams, which might which Jurff, I think the team was able to get one of those, right, how many did they get for original six? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Were you?
Speaker 1: Wait, were you on the episode last week? No, you were busy last week?
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, so couldn't make it.
Speaker 1: Oh I left early. I left early, right, So I like I knew the most. So I was like, they were able to get like one I think of the original six, and then I helped them out a little bit, and I think they got the rest except for Boston without much helps and they couldn't remember Boston Bruins.
Speaker 2: That's I think Original six is like the entry level hockey enthusiast question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right, so this is a little bit different. So after hearing that, thought I would it would be fun to quiz the two hockey guys. Despite the name Original six, they were not the original six teams. There was at the start only four teams. Fun side fact, the NHL was originally formed when three teams part of the old league hated one of the other team's owners and figured it was easier to leave and start a new league without them instead of trying to get them kicked out of the league. So I thought it would be fun to see if you guys can guess the original four NHL teams are Hint the nation referred to in National Hockey League as Canada, not the United States. Further hint, one city has two names, okay, so two differents.
Speaker 2: One city has two two teams.
Speaker 1: Two teams, two teams, yes, yeah, my bet. Okay, So what are the original four teams? Jurf Alright, I guess you know, let's just start do like say, the cities okay are different, so Toronto, Montreal has to be them, yep. And then there's one other city because Montreal, I'll Ottawa, Yes, Ottawa.
Speaker 2: And Okay.
Speaker 1: So so there's there's four teams in those three cities. Yes, there's four teams in those three cities, and two of them have the same name, as they.
Speaker 2: Still do today.
Speaker 1: How many have the same two two of the four I'm one hundred percent on Canadians.
Speaker 2: There's just no way. Yep, yep they are. And then if there's the same name, then I would also think it's the Senators.
Speaker 1: Hey, Ottawa Senators, that's right, Okay, but then I'm lost. I think, I honestly don't The Toronto team you're saying has a different name is a different name, and the only thing I would guess with them, And I don't know this for sure, but I do know they have that like weird Saint Patrick's stay jersey that they wear, so I think it's like the same pats.
Speaker 2: It was like something of them at some.
Speaker 1: Point that that's an awesome guest, though that is not right. I honestly am like confused about what this name even means. Okay, it's you're not You're just they're not going to get it. It's the Toronto Arena's Arenas. The Toronto Arenas were a professional men's ice hockey team that played in the first two seasons of the NHL. It was operated by the owner of the arena gardens, the Toronto Arena Company, So they just call it the fucking Toronto Arenas.
Speaker 2: This was like nineteens like this is back before they had creativity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, it's probably like nineteen fourteen or something.
Speaker 2: It's nineteen seventeen, yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they had their colors blue and white. That's cool.
Speaker 2: What was the fourth?
Speaker 1: The fourth is another Montreal team, the Montreal Wanderers, which.
Speaker 2: I like, that's a good name.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 1: Let's see in Montreal Wanderers.
Speaker 2: They were an amateur and later professional ice hockey team based in Montreal. The team played in the Federal Amateur Hockey League, the Eastern Canadian Amateur blah blah blah, and then they played in the original NHL, I guess, the NHA and then the NHL. The Wanders were four times Stanley Cup winners. Prior to the formation of the NHL, the Red Bands were one of the most successful teams in ice hockey. Yeah, and when you have a one out of four shot, your odds got a lot better.
Speaker 1: Hey, Like, I was like, we're like looking it up because I'm like, well, I know, the Stanley Cup has been around longer than the NHL.
Speaker 2: How did it work.
Speaker 1: It's like occasionally they just be like, here there's two teams, you're both gonna play for the Stanley Cup and that's what it worked. So you had like a fifty to fifty shot.
Speaker 2: So I just looked it up. The Saint Patrick's were a team, oh yeah, nineteen nineteen to nineteen twenty okay, and beyond I'm sorry, and beyond up until twenty six, maybe even beyond. Uh and because after that Lee, after those four teams it went the Montreal Canadians, Autawa Senators, Quebec Bulldogs, and the Toronto Saint Patrick's. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, hockey's an old sport, all things considered. Do you watch the BlackBerry movie? Yes, where the storyline of the of the CEO trying to bring the Penguins to Hamilton. That'd be an insane thing.
Speaker 2: What a timeline that would have been. Yep, all right, I think I does it for that quiz back? All right, very good, Thank you emailer. Finally, Dalton from the Internet, Hello, bomb Crue, love you all, Proud of you all.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for proud of you too. What is a video game complaint You're just tired of hearing from its fan base?
Speaker 2: Mine is? I am so tired of hearing people talk about Final Fantasy going back to Turn based Final Fantasy hasn't been turn based in twenty five years, guys, let it go. It has not been turn based longer than it.
Speaker 1: Was turn based.
Speaker 2: The last turn based Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy ten on the PS two Square Excess. Other turn based games Dragon Quest, Brayley, Default, Octopath. Come on, I was gonna ask you, like, I'm like, that doesn't.
Speaker 4: Ever forget about thirteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're saying, well, no, okay, so thirteen. I think people are like, well, it's not traditional turn based. That's not what people mean. They mean they would be happy with thirteen when they say turn based.
Speaker 4: Right exactly. This person, I think is either confused or is specifically saying like, yeah, traditional Dragon Quest style turn basis not what Final Fantasy is.
Speaker 1: I think that's what That's what a lot of people can or when they when they hear that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but also the Final Fantasy hasn't been that since three, when was a TV introduced in four?
Speaker 1: Right, yeah that's true four or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So also it's just I think for that people are just saying they want menu driven like that combat. That's because like no one really is complaining about the combat and Final Fantasy seven remake. Really they're just like, yeah, this is close enough to the game. Yeah. I think they're just like saying, we don't want them to go full action.
Speaker 2: It didn't work.
Speaker 1: It just didn't work for that franchise. Okay, So what's the question, is uh complaints that you guys are sick of hearing about from.
Speaker 3: Their fan base? What is the video game complaint you're just tired of hearing from its fan base? Is all of them? All of them?
Speaker 1: Answer?
Speaker 4: Yeah? On on this podcast. Not being mad about video games.
Speaker 1: For this is less a complaint and just something I hear all the time. Uh.
Speaker 2: I think people like whenever, you know, getting talking to people, mostly strangers who you know, find out what I do, and then it's just this whole fucking thing and I just I can't. But it always evolves into like I don't play video games anymore because there's too many buttons, And I'm just like, well, your brain stopped working because like I don't know what to tell you. What do you mean there's too many buttons? What does that even mean?
Speaker 1: You're an adult person who's able to do all kinds. Have you been in a vehicle, BUTLM is what floices you?
Speaker 2: You're like, well, I can't do it the controller thinking it's like, I'm sorry, you're brain dead. Like the super Anys controller had a lot of buttons for its time, there's not that many more. What's the old controller that had like a full number pad? There was a couple of them. Was it Jaguar? Was it in television?
Speaker 1: Television definitely had like the phone pad on that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, the Jaguar did have You had a controller and it was like, yeah, an amorphic blob because then beneath that was also the key pad.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And it's like that's crazy. It drives me so insane. And I guess, like you know, you hear it once or twice and you're like, oh, that's just you know, the complaint. But this is a common thing that everyone has like met about and agreed on saying this. They were like, we're going to use this excuse for the video game barrier, and it's just like it's and it's not even true because if you started playing, you would just immediately like oh this is button does that, and it just feels intuitive. It's been fun.
Speaker 1: It's been fun watching the kids or young children get used to dual analog stick control from playing a lot of minecraft. It's like, oh, they got this crush now there is. This is just never gonna be a problem for them again. For the rest of their lives. They're going to be able to do dual stick movement in video games for the controlling the character with one and the camera with the other, whether that's first person or third person. It's like, Okay, well that's sorted itself out. I was worried about that would be that that'd be too much for them, Like, no, six eight, they got it, no issue. And if a six and eight year old can do it, I know, the plasticity of the brain and all that stuff. You could pick up a controller and figure it out.
Speaker 2: I get something.
Speaker 1: I agree, you know, like a like that excuse doesn't make you interesting.
Speaker 2: Also, like you know it is.
Speaker 1: I don't even own a TV of video game complaints yet without a doubt. And it's just like, just try.
Speaker 2: I dare you. I defy you to just try. It's okay. If you don't want to play games, that's a whole other different story. But don't tell me it's because there's too many buttons on it.
Speaker 1: Get out of here.
Speaker 2: I mean, have you not seen patro piscal pick up a controller and attempt to play Marvel Rivals in a way where it's so obvious. It's been like decades since my man ever looked at a video of it.
Speaker 1: Have a fraction of the bravery that Pedro has.
Speaker 3: Just have a.
Speaker 4: Fractional lot of things, Yes, for a lot.
Speaker 2: But also in the realm of ames, be more like Pedro.
Speaker 1: Did you guys see that the cast of Fantastic Four reacting to Marvel Rivals? Okay, well they were playing with the play, but did you see like the reaction when they noticed the characters and how sexy they were, Like, I didn't notice that. There's a moment where I think, uh, the the lady who's playing I can't remember her name, Vanessa, Yes, Vanessa Kirby is like selecting characters, and it's like they're showing off the different costumes for the invisible woman and what it was just like straight up lingerie. And it happens and all three of the guys are over her shoulder and they like sort of like they're like, are a gast Oh my god? Is this They start like looking around at each other and like is this allowed so genuine that they are so shocked? It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Dude's rock moment for sure, interesting, interesting element.
Speaker 3: If I have a legitimate complaint. I know earlier I said all of them. But honestly, people who get all up in arms like purists about crossovers, I love crossovers. I think it's really cool when like a fighting game, guest characters and stuff like that. It brings more people in if they don't stick around. That's one thing. One guy likes to say that it'll get that when they lose the license, it'll get the game delisted. But I haven't really seen that. I don't know if that's a real thing. Just let the guest characters happen, let them come, let them hang out, and that's it. Am I forgetting something? Am I missing something?
Speaker 4: Mortal Kombat nine isn't available anymore, unfortunately.
Speaker 3: I'm just blinders on there. But I don't know. I think it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: That's a good point, yeah, Because I always wanted to play tech and I just like it wasn't vibing with it for a very long time. But Tech and seven, my friend want me to play with him. I was like, I don't get tech in. This was before I learned other characters I don't get Tech in I don't really have a character that yels to me just yet. I played a Kuma because I was like, well, I know how I play a Kuma because I play street Fire. It wasn't until Knocked this is where I was like, I love fifteen. So yeah, I'm playing my boy Nactus got me into Tech and playing with my friend is like learning the game. Yeah now I yeah, now I play a Lily in eight and love playing Tech and so yeah, it definitely gets people on the door.
Speaker 2: That's it. I don't put I don't push back on any crossovers as much as like unneeded as some of it is.
Speaker 1: And that's mostly like the call of duty stuff, right, like Woll.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Tech and putting Meagan from The Walking Dead in Tech and seven was an inspired choice.
Speaker 2: But it just seems, you know, look yeah, but like being mad at it, you're a dumbassy I The Burback Brothers did a fun video where they touch on some of the crossover stuff. They did a video a month ago about the evolution of crossovers, but it was more from like the TV and pop culture sort of point of view. Definitely a video worth watching. They are amazing and funny. All right, I think that does it for the emails. Let's let's shift over to Grub, who will handle our super chats. Yes, I have the super chats right here. Let me just get them, make sure I'm updated. Okay, let's go with preenty.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: The hardest boss in Bonanza is the frames per second in the final boss encounter, and anyone who says it's fine is crazy, in my opinion, really took me out of the experience I had. I had one moment where I thought the frame rate in the final boss fight was not just not just distracting, distracting, but like kind of harmed my ability to get out of the way one moment. So it's not fine. But I'm also at a point where it's like it was happening because what was happening on the screen was so epic and so much stuff was happening that it kind of felt earned to a certain point.
Speaker 4: But yeah, right, that's the definition of fine. Get over it. Like it passed within like five seconds or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the most for the rest of the game, when the frame rate dropped one, without question, it was fine, and it was almost always happening. And Sean you mentioned at one point when we first talked about this, people didn't know the difference between frame rate drops and frame.
Speaker 2: Pauses for hits. That conversation, Oh my god, that's what happened.
Speaker 4: Was frustrated.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what that is, but that sounds very frustrating.
Speaker 4: Like when you hit something in the animation pauses for impact, Like I love that. That one immediately got stamped out by the people actually met about the frame rate though, So I'm glad there's a little self conrection on. But yeah, that's gnar, like, don't get too angry about that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: All right? From L Grug.
Speaker 1: Did Grub ever find out or learn why the Zebras say bra? They call each other bra constantly? And I was like, oh, they're talking like the kids, how dare they? It's because z Bras and so they call each other bras. Yeah, I knew that without the context. What do you mean I needed it? Someone in chat had to tell me when I was first complaining about.
Speaker 3: All right, so you figured that out? Figure out why they hell to eat an ice cream? What's that about?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't know their whole deals, like they love they love ice cream? Are surrounded by ice and fire. It's great.
Speaker 2: What do you mean that's all right?
Speaker 1: Jacalobe says, great afternoon.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 1: On the subject of the ship, that's just their name.
Speaker 2: What am I supposed to do?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: On the subject of shirts, maybe a game mess morning shirt that type top right square of the redesign would look nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have to like be very nice to Mike to get anything it related to me into the merch store, So I'll try. I'll start that process.
Speaker 4: This was my big thing for like a long time now. We need logo shirts, Like why do we not have logo shirts?
Speaker 1: Like look at the logo shirts and we'll just, uh, well, we'll tell him that he's in it, and then he'll make a rich of it. That's how it works.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: That actually sounds awesome. And I do love that that logo of the new redesign, so that'd be great. Martin Hollis just wanted to say this cast is amazing. Love you, Thank you, Martin. I've really enjoyed this episode. Hell yeah, none of this is torture a.
Speaker 2: Lot of work, but these guys make it easy. It's true.
Speaker 1: Mitchie Pooh says, post clarity hit Collective shout hard, loll shaking my head. I love that phrase.
Speaker 2: I use it as often as I can.
Speaker 1: It's also very because like they capitalized hard and then following up with a lull shaking my head.
Speaker 2: Just it's a perfect phrase. It's like all of that. It's just so good together. Good job's refund. Yes, mar Martin.
Speaker 1: Hollis is back with even more though. Jason f is the sixth GB member. I love him, We love him too. Thanks for he's actually he's good. Help us out all week here. Oh you're gonna make them You're gonna make them emotional again.
Speaker 2: You weren't it though, I was supposed to be doing this off air.
Speaker 3: But thank you. That's very cool. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Simon from Saskatchewan said, watched Happy Gilmour again. Last time must have been twenty years ago, and I just realized his old boss with the nail in his head was Jaws from Double O seven. Yes, that guy showed up in quite quite a few things.
Speaker 2: He was in.
Speaker 1: That wasn't he also in that eighties drag Net movie with Tom Hanks and Dan Probably. Yeah, that sounds right. I used to watch the original drag Night all the time. I only watch that movie once. The eighties Dragnet does something to me, I don't know what it is like, and it's like, I don't know. Yeah, huh, all right, and then Nick Kearney with the last super chat. Here is the Grand Turismo seven PC port that was in the Nvidia leak Dead also bring back grub snacks. We want hot game development leaks peas see. I'm working on finding a way to make grub Snacks happen. Probably won't be like a full hour long show, but maybe like a bonus content for premium members where like you ask a question and maybe I can address one question per episode or something like.
Speaker 4: That, almost like monthly Q and A or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but a little bit less the Q and A more just specifically because it's not gonna behind the scenes. It'll be like specifically me answering questions about the games industry and stuff like that. Uh, grants was seven, I forgot that on there. I don't know if it would be dead, but it seems like it's been a long time. I guess I don't. I haven't talk about the timeline in a minute.
Speaker 3: They released Strants Rismo SEV a little while ago, it's just called fours Horizon five.
Speaker 2: Ah, there it is. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They'll probably bring a Grand Rismo to PC eventually, so I'll say this one's probably dead, and well maybe another one comes to PC at PC at some point, we'll see. All right, that does it for the super chats. I think that's gonna do it for most of the show. It but I just learned how to read the super chats and I have missed one or two here, Okay, let me refresh, let me see you here. Uh, maybe maybe more came in after Nick.
Speaker 2: There's three more. Oh yeah, look at that.
Speaker 1: A bunch more came in. Okay, thank you appreciate that.
Speaker 2: El Greg.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised that jeffs aren't talking about hockey on Oops all Jeff's Week, or that Jason and Jerff haven't kicked Grub out of the Eastern time zone yet. You guys aren't like Dan about that. Come on, I don't care. Yeah, this dret's be crazy. Oh it's not Eastern time, but it's also not the Midwest. It's where the fuck am I?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: A where are you? A fair question? Yeah? B people who get I mean, I think time zones are very frustrating, and I don't think they should really exist. I think if we were all just like grown ups, we could have universal time. I'm one of those sichos. But to be mad at it in a petulant way, that's not surprising coming from man.
Speaker 3: Consider your source here. I love the guy, but consider your source. Oh yeah, honestly, I forget what time zone you're on. So just hearing that your East Coast makes things more convenient for me, that's fine.
Speaker 2: I love that your East Coast. I love that it works like I want to be in that draft. I want you all right, cool, all right? That makes me feel real good. I don't know what any of it means, but I appreciate it. It just means like I want you in my time zone. There's that entails, yeah, and pleasures and luxuries. I come along with that, right exactly.
Speaker 4: It's me though, is the Midwest thing that that's on? That is like bickery Robin Mike about you guys are more East than Kentucky. How are you Midwest? It's not.
Speaker 1: It's just not how it works. First of all, the state of the region. It's by the US. Since this bureau came up with these names forever and it was.
Speaker 4: Not US government is very good about all these things.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, they took that name from the regional name for itself, which was not the name, not the name Midwest. To be clear, it's not that argument, not that old thing.
Speaker 4: No. I just mean like the fact that Ohio is Midwest. I don't know about that one, bud.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's it's part of the Midwest. Is it Midwest?
Speaker 1: No, But it's not a map. I always said, like that's the thing where the name is not missing.
Speaker 2: Direction Midwest is like a general direction, right, It's not like it's a collection.
Speaker 1: It's collection of states that were not quite the west compared to the original thirteen colonies in the east coast. It's like, all right, so we're going to it's midway to the west as we knew it, which was Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas. Kansas got added to Midwest later terch on Midwest. But and then and then what happened is we continued manifest destiny, expanded to the west, added a bunch of West coast states and so now it all feels weird. And then a bunch of states in the middle that were once considered the West were like, well where do we go now? And so well, I guess we're Midwest, and it kind of just made everything confusing.
Speaker 2: Like to be fair, when you do look at the time zone map and you see like all a Michigan in the East Coast.
Speaker 1: You're like, what in the holy fuck have they done?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I think that's what it is.
Speaker 1: It's like there's some the states in some people's heads where it's like that, I thought that was way further over that way. What do you talk about that's in the same time zone as Connecticut.
Speaker 4: Time zones may feel weird because yeah, there's like Michigan is clearly what is considered Midwest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a vibe thing. You're right, it's just like.
Speaker 3: And be done with it.
Speaker 2: Well there is man the MIDI is too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Mountain in central No one ever cares or knows when what time it is where you live. So just I'm sorry on behalf of a West Coast people speaking.
Speaker 1: Time was a fun time to live in because of times, because it's like sporting events would all happen at like four PM and you would have the rest of your evening to yourself and stuff like that. It was that yeah, hockey game should go to the point where I'm so tired I fall asleep overtime.
Speaker 2: That's correct. Being out west and seeing a game start at four PM and you're like this is.
Speaker 1: Unholy Well, I'm like, I have to wake up at nine am talking about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it hasn't happened to me yet. But if I am ever on the east, on the West coast for a one pm Eagles game, my head's going, oh, yeah, ten am. I don't know if I could do that.
Speaker 2: Now you'll be tailgating at ten am. That's another story that the game start. No, no, no, no tailgate getting at seven a m. Let's be really right, of course?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 2: Fair enough? All right, what else we gotta grab?
Speaker 4: Uh? No?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Do we give any more super chats?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: There was one more right right? Okay from Simon from Saskatchewan, Jeff, what's the first six expansion NHL teams? Okay, I think I ordered this differently. We talked about that, right the for the original six No, No, the first six expansion NHL teams?
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I think I got?
Speaker 1: Yeah, was Penguins is the one I got?
Speaker 2: That felt right?
Speaker 1: But yes, Penguins flyers right north Stars, right, that would have been one of my guesses was the Minnesota I will guess.
Speaker 2: I think there's one that's weird, one or two. Maybe there's six, and we did Flyers, Penguins, Stars, Nord.
Speaker 3: Quebec, the Blues.
Speaker 2: Is it the da that Blues? Let me double check, but that sounds right.
Speaker 1: A part of me wants Chad said Sabers. I think that might be right.
Speaker 3: One of the Blues, one of the six is not called them. It doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's always okay. The weird one is California Seals. Yeah, okay, that's bizarre. Hey, okay, so did they wind up becoming where they were just talking? I'll look into it, all right, So what's the sixth one? Then Los Angeles Kings, the Kings, that's right.
Speaker 3: They became the Cleveland Barons. That's it. I don't exist, that's it.
Speaker 2: And then they died fucking okay? Cool? Well California Golden Seals, yeah if I've heard it, Yeah, yeah, nuts, And that's nineteen sixty seven, correct. They merge with the North Stars. What does the how does that work?
Speaker 1: How do you merge a team?
Speaker 3: The two one combined and went to Dallas yeah, okay, become the stars.
Speaker 2: Right downstairs, which they are today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm interesting. Okay, so that happened, weird. I got a great idea hockey in Texas.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's worked out, okay for them someone. Yeah, thank you so very much for tuning in, Turbo Sean, thank you so much for being here. Anything to tell the people before we let you go?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Do you want me to talk about my video going up at the end of the show. Yeah, yeah, I'll say now, because I'm gonna be at EVO all weekend, so I'm heading out tomorrow. That's why I'm not gonna be here. If you're gonna be at EVO, make sure to say hi. I don't bite. I'm going to be doing some work stuff, so I'll have some fun stuff to bring back.
Speaker 3: It's not surely me last year.
Speaker 4: Special case Jason. I'm going to have some videos. I'm going to have some articles on gibomb dot com. We haven't done those in a while.
Speaker 3: That's a thing.
Speaker 4: That's a thing we turns out we can write, believe it or not. That's gonna be fun too. Gonna have some fun stuff to bring back. But also, if you're in the mood for fighting games. You know, hear me and Jason talk about all of them. Evo coming up. I have a video going up right after the BombCast is done here live, so I'm just gonna hit the switch on what it's like to be at EVO. The all the footage that I filmed last year, I've now repurposed a little bit gonna be It's an evergreen video that's like a first person account of what it's like to be there and parch partially like a beginner's guide to EVO if you were looking to go for the first time. If you are going for the first time, you can sort of know what to expect. Had some interviews with some fun people in there. I interviewed gyle Win Quote the YouTuber. I interviewed Chopper from our friends at New Game Plus. I interviewed my artist buddy David lou and mentioned earlier on the podcast Mark Man. All of those people talked a little bit in the video. I think it's a really fun one. It's only seventeen minutes, so definitely check that out when you're done with the BombCast today.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Right yeah earlier today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that is correct. Uh, Jason Finelli. Everyone give it up. Long time, well overdue appearance on the BombCast. Thank you so much for being here, buddy, you were fantastic. Where can people find you?
Speaker 3: I am at Jason Finelli dot com on Blue Sky was able to get that domain, but big Man Finelle everywhere else. I will be watching EVO uh here in the basement as of right now. Still not still trying to figure out a way there, but it's looking less and less likely as the days go on.
Speaker 4: But I think.
Speaker 2: I moved.
Speaker 3: I got to stop moving.
Speaker 1: Moved.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so I might actually I might actually stream a little bit stream some EVO stream some live reactions watch uh stream, Oh there you go. Friday is the big showcase where they a bunch of reveals and talks and stuff like that, and then Finals Day is always fun because there's reveals mixed in with the actual matches and the energy in that room if you're listening, well, what the frig is going on here?
Speaker 2: Really? This whole time?
Speaker 3: This whole time. At least the recording will be fine.
Speaker 1: But it's the New Jersey and the Philly Internet.
Speaker 3: Just head there are butting heads. It was it was bound to happen. To the person that put that in chat, you jackass. But yeah, so I'll be watching Evo. I got a couple of reviews going up soon, Bonanza for MMRPG that should be done now that I finished the game Shadow Labyrinth and reviewing that as well. And yeah, if you if you like video games, wrestling or stupid memes or pictures of cute kids and family fun, that's where you can see on my social media because that's what I usually post. And uh yeah, having a good time.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, thank you very much, Jason Grubb. What have we got left on the docket for the rest of the week. Yes, so look out for Game Mess Mornings for the rest of the week. I'll have a good career, are you, Jason?
Speaker 1: I having you on again later this week tomorrow tomorrow, okay, yes, that sounds right. And then we are gonna have a voicemail dump truck on Thursday. We're gonna do a Delight club on Wednesday instead of the traditional Blake Club. I think I'm gonna play some James Bond. Dan gave me that Everything or Nothing game. Uh, I have back of our cinema down. I mean we'll yeah, we'll hang out for a little bit and then for you PF we'll hang out. We got some ideas, maybe that panel paddle paddle game. There's a bunch of other stuff we could do. I'm also gonna maybe try to stuff some grinditude in here somewhere, but we'll have to see where. But yeah, it's gonna be as good of a week as we could pull off with the crew all out on assignment and more leaving us you know, by the minute. So yeah, look looking forward to it. But yeah, very good BombCast. Glad to hang out with you guys. Hell yes, also, uh Thursday on dump Truck we will be joined by Vinnie Caravella and Alex the Varro. Hey wait, you couldn't get the hat trick.
Speaker 2: Uh No, Brad and I are having a fight and we just we'll figure it out. If we can't have them on together, too powerful, it's too powerful. We'll figure out the time to get Brad on as well.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's for Thursday, and yeah it'll be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Stay with us and head over to GiantBomb dot com slash join, support the business, support the content, support us, and we'll keep continuing all of this excellent stuff. Thank you so much again to Jason and Sehan for helping us out today. We will be back with a brand new episode next week and most of the gangs should be back then as well. Until then, see you next time everyone. By night, Jeantem for taking