Speaker 1: You're listening to an Airwave Media podcast. Guests lit London streets lie shrouded in fog. Eighteen year old Jane alsops at her father's house when a loud knocking startles her. She goes to the door, and in the darkness, a cloaked man says urgently, we've called spring Hill Jack here in the lane. Believing he's a policeman, Jane rushes to bring him a candle, but when she hands it to him, she shocked to see him spit blue fire from his mouth before he begins to claw at her with metallic fingers. She screams and struggles to escape as he tears at her clothing, and finally she's rescued by her sister, who pulls her back into the house. The cloak strangers seem to bound off across the field. For this was no policeman. This was spring Hill Jack himself. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 2: A giant, hairy creature in part Ape and Party Match in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 1: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monster. Welcome to Monster talk the Science Show about Monsters. I'm Blake Smith and in this episode, doctor Karen stoles Know and I will interview Mike Dash about the mysterious figure known as spring Hill Jack. This is an enduring legend which has been of interest to paranormal investigators and folklorists, as well as UFO enthusiasts and skeptics. Mike's research is fantastic and while he is compiling it into a book someday, be sure to check the show notes for links to his website. He loves solving mysteries and it shows in his work. More Instrutle, do you want to tell listeners about what your latest projects are like, about what you're working on. What's been going on with you?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, I don't know. It feels like it's a bit premature at this stage.
Speaker 1: Still, well, you can talk about Swift articles.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I don't know if you checked out the latest article that I did for Swift. It was a mini investigation into a place called Silver Cliff Cemetery. Can you hear me? I can, okay, because it's just to me creepy.
Speaker 1: Because it sounds like you're really close, but I know you're really far away ah, silly mood apologize.
Speaker 3: Well, no, that that's good, that's apt for the show. But I'll start again. I just did an investigation or a mini investigation for SWIFT for the James Randy Educational Foundation, and it was into a place called Silver Cliff Cemetery, and it's one of the most haunted or the most haunted cemetery in America, or one of the most haunted cemeteries in America. Because they're all the most haunted.
Speaker 1: Is it egalitarian to believe that they're all equally haunted?
Speaker 3: I think I think it's only the fair thing to say, the only fair thing to say. But this place, it's a beautiful little cemetery out in the middle of nowhere, and they've only got an occupancy rate of about forty percent, so very just scattered tombstones. But this place has been famous for decades now for dancing blue lights. And actually the source of all of the claims, or the main source, contemporary source, seems to be an article that appeared in National Geographic Magazine back in nineteen sixty nine, and a lot of people or what you'll find online if you go and google Silver Cliff Cemetery, lots of entries about this original article. People claim that the article was an investigation or some kind of feature, but really it's just an afterthought. It's almost a PostScript. And the author of the article, I can't remember his name, Edward Linehm. I think it is just in the last paragraph or two of the article, and it's a travel journal piece about Colorado and the Rockies. And he just mentions these strange blue lights that appear in this cemetery, and he goes and checks them out, and anyway, he describes them as being this dim glow. Yet over the course of decades it's become the lights have become very different. Instead, they are bright lights there like a lantern light, round lights the size of a silver dollar. Sometimes there are one or two lights, other times there just spread across the cemetery. The original lights were blue, and the lights nowadays can be red or green or pink, any color that you like. And so the claims have increased over the years, but they really have taken on a life of their own. And so I went and checked out the cemetery. It was actually in the course of going and visiting a fundamentalist Mormon compound. But that's another story. Altogether, And so I checked out the cemetery and I didn't actually see those particular lights myself, but came up with a couple of possible explanations for the lights most people. There was an investigation done a short article by Skeptical Inquiry magazine going back about twenty years ago, and the authors claimed that the lights are reflections from the town from passing traffic, and that's a possibility. I think that there are lots of explanations, not just one explanation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you go to a cemetery at night and the claim is there are lights, then any light would seem to be a hit.
Speaker 3: Right, that's right, And there are lots of natural and human made sources for lights. There are stars, there's the moon, but people claim that the best time to see these lights is on a very dark night when there isn't any when it's overcast and there's no moon, and so there are just outside of that. I thought one of the main things that came to mind were phosphenes, the possibility that someone could be sitting out in this dark cemetery with no light for hours trying to see something, and you know, when you rub your eyes or when you sneeze and you see stars, those little lights that appear in your eyes when there isn't actually a light source. I thought that that could be one potential source for these lights in the cemetery, or another could be this new receptor that's been found that only sees the color blue, only picks up that color. So I think that could account for maybe those original sightings of this dim blue glow. But if people want to go and check out the article on Swift anyway, and there's more information there, and go and google it yourself to and see some of the other claims that are.
Speaker 1: Out there, put a link to that in the show notes.
Speaker 3: Sounds good, thank you. So yeah, that was a fun little diversion looking into that.
Speaker 1: But I think one of the first collaborative skeptical investigations every day was with Kylie Surgis for the Pinjara Cemetery.
Speaker 3: That's right, that was in Perth somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well wherever Pinjari. That was more her, you know, she drove a long way to go out there and help me, you know, test the hypothesis. It turned out to be correct, and in that case, it was a passing car had illuminated a stationary tombstone, and on video it looked like something just came to life and flew across the screen. But I was able to stabilize it and show that No, what was actually happening was the illumination was passing over the tombstone, but because the camera was moving, it created this weird illusion. So kind of a funn Yeah.
Speaker 3: Once again, I think that's accounting for a lot of the claims in Silver Cliff Cemetery. Though these very shiny marble.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're very reflective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and people think, oh, the town's too far away. It's really only about half a mile away. And there are two towns there right next to each other, so there are a lot of light sources.
Speaker 1: Well, it's always it's always bugged me that people would expect cemeteries and graveyards to be haunted, like the people who die have no ties to those places.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I think there are two theories. I think there's one theory that, of course cemeteries must be haunted because there are so many people buried there. And then there's another claim that people when they do come back and they do haunt, they will haunt the places that they visited during their lifetime. They're not going to be in a place where they're just the body is buried.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, I can imagine really easily some sort of hypothesis that you're tethered to your physical body even after you die, but you know, it seems like cremation would cure that, or you know, and eventually your body rides away. I don't know. I don't think there's much plausibility to that.
Speaker 3: There are both theories there, and I think if you believe, then you're going to come up with any any interesting theory to explain any any qualms you've got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the thing is, though you're probably the same way. But I love cemeteries and and people I think forget that cemeteries are generally built for the living. You know, they're for you to go and reminisce and think about the people who've died and spend time.
Speaker 3: That's right. But the memorial parks, so yeah, people in previous times would go for strolls through cemeteries and have lunch, and they were social places they were.
Speaker 1: And what really bugs me is modern cemeteries. They're so lazy. They build like the flat tombstone so they can mow easier, and it's like, really, that's what's so great about that.
Speaker 3: It's terrible, Like we want the fancy or nature.
Speaker 1: I do. I love. I love the ones with statues and little mausoleums.
Speaker 3: And oh me too. The ones in Lanion's are fantastic.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, those are really cool. I just there's some really nice ones in Atlanta and Savannah. Yeah, gorgeous ones.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I went to the Bonaventure. Yeah cemetery that's in Savannah, isn't it. It is the famous one. But what's that book in the Garden of Good and Evil? Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?
Speaker 1: Right with the little crying girl. They've taken her out of the cemetery because people get messing with their statue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's on display. I think at a local museum instead. But I'd love to get to Resurrection Cemetery in Chicago sometime and check out the stories about Resurrection Mary.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and don't forget a lot of the voters come out of there at election time, so that's a great, great time to see ghosts.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Today, we're talking with Mike dash who is a paranorl investigator, historian, author, and former editor of fortyen Times. He's written numerous articles in several books, most recently The First Family, Terror, Extortion, and the Birth of the American Mafia. He also writes the Past and Perfect blog for Smithsonian dot com. Welcome Mike, Thank you, Hey Mike. I just just kind of just not related to monsters at all, but really enjoyed your article about the family in Siberia. That was such a cool article.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been remarkably successful. I've never quite experienced anything like it. Actually, it's had something like two million page views. Quite wow generated. Yeah, I mean it's interesting, isn't it what gels would be. I've been writing stories I've tried to get two million page revies on for years, and this is the one that's kind of caught far. It's interesting to see what it is that makes people sort of trigger those sorts of responses.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, and I have no idea because I've read a lot of your articles and this was of similar quality, which was great, But I know, wow, that's fantastic. Congrats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think there's obviously an element of you know, what would I do in those situations? How would I hope which if you know we'll touch on this, not one noteut, I mean there's an element of this in why spring Hill Jack is such a memorable figure and has survived in people's recollections a lot longer than similar bogeymen.
Speaker 1: Well, I tell you one thing it taught me, for sure is that before you retreat into the wilderness, makes sure you have some basic ceramic skills.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's the one thing they didn't seem to have with them. Maybe they couldn't find any clay, but yeah, that people.
Speaker 5: Commented on that one.
Speaker 4: Actually all right, But I don't think we're judgement too harsh to you, or I would have been dead a long time before they were.
Speaker 1: I think I believe you're correct.
Speaker 3: Can we link this one to the show? Notes?
Speaker 1: I get through that the show, that's for sure. Apparently it's a great thing to link to. Can you give us an overview of the spring Hill Jack's story, the phenomena, and why you think he's such an enduring figure?
Speaker 4: Yes, Well, the Springhiel Jack's story, as it is usually told, relates to a hideous, demonic bogeyman, as we would say in Britain, or boogieman you might prefer to say, who turned up in London at the very beginning of Queen Victoria's reign. We're talking about eighteen thirty seven thirty eight in the winter, then first of all in villages around the outskirts of the town, and later on inside London itself. What was remarkable about these stories was well, I mean, there were a couple of things. Firstly, they were extremely ubiquitous. A lot of people had apparently witnessed this strange.
Speaker 5: And terrifying creature.
Speaker 4: Secondly, and perhaps more intriguingly, spring Hill Deck himself was some sort of shapeshifter. In the very first sightings referred to him in a wide variety of guises, everything from a ghost.
Speaker 5: A bear, a devil, a figure.
Speaker 4: Clad in armor, a figure who was a gigantic baboon, even in one case. And it's only over a period of time period of some weeks that he slowly metamorphosed into the figure that we now know from the sort of forty and secondary literature, which is very much a devil figure. Essentially, he was a tall, thin gentlemanly had blazing red eyes, and his sort of signature move essentially was that he shot blue and white balls of fire out of his mouth when he attacked his victims, who are usually helpless young girls.
Speaker 3: I like the descriptions that he usually are vomited blue flames.
Speaker 5: That's correct.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, this is one of the things that's most commonly associated with him, although of course, in fact, when you go back to the original sources, you discovered that it wasn't quite as commonplace as one might be led to believe. That there are certainly two or three cases of eyewitnesses describing this happening. And one of the things I've looked into over the years is to what extent one could potentially duplicate this effect in a normal way. But the majority of cases certainly later, somealy after eighteen thirty eight, the later versions of spring hil Jack for one of a better word. We'll go into this later. Noteubt didn't exhibit this particular ability. This was unique to the spring Hill Jack of London at the beginning of Queen Victoria's reign.
Speaker 3: I wish there'd been some evidence of that captured on film or something.
Speaker 4: Well, it appeared just at the very beginning of photography. I mean, in eighteen thirty seven, photographs have just been invented. But you needed an exposure of ten to twelve hours, so you weren't going to capture something as fleet of foot Jack on an early plate, sadly enough, And he'cently.
Speaker 3: Been appearing even in recent years, hasn't he There have.
Speaker 4: Been some Yeah, absolutely, I mean, and this, of course is one of the fascinating things about him and one of the things that's kept me researching for very I mean, I've never had a research project that's gone on as long as my spring Hill Jack project. I began work on this in the autumn of nineteen eighty two and I'm just about ready to publish my results now. And one of the reasons it's taken me so long is that he's a figure who crops up in all sorts of strange places and times, and even relatively recently, we've had very very cases. It was very similar to spring Heel Jack in places like Argentina, Somalia, and it's a figure which has some sort of hold I think over people minds and memories, and I can testify to this person. I mean, my own interest in the subject really began in the early nineteen seventies when I was a kid and I used to get a magazine called World of Wonder, which is published in Britain and was sort of an educational magazine, but it had a feature in it called Strange Stories, and one week the strange story was about spring Hill Jack, and it was illustrated by a rather dramatic picture of him sort of leaping out of the page towards you with his sort of balls of fire I was shooting out of his mouth and it completely terrified me, and I was about eleven at the time. And the thing that was scary about him, I think was the way in which two things. Firstly, he was described as essentially ageless, I mean, and this goes back again to the spring Hill Jack legend. As it's usually told he turns up in eighteen thirty seven, but he's last seen in his original British Guys at least in Everton, which is a suburb of Liverpool, in nineteen oh four, which immediately says to you, well, it can't be a human being. If this is the same person and he's lived that long and he's still agile and still apparently unchanging, then there must be something supernatural about him. And the second thing, I think, which is particularly terrify fining and gets the imagination going about spring Hill Jack, certainly an eleven year old boys. Is the agility that's associated with him, the fact that he has this name and can leap over houses and so on. Of course, of what that really means if you're eleven years old, is there's no reason he can't appear on your windows cell that night, in the middle of the night when your parents are estaped tapping on the window to be let in. And I think that's essentially what got me going about him, and what's that terror? Essentially is what's motivated me over the years. I'm sort of trying to defuse that eleven year old boy's fear of the of the dark, of the unknown, and of course of of devils and demons as well. And it's kept me going for you know, thirty odd years, this particular project as a result.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is so similar to my background.
Speaker 3: Is that in mind too?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the I caught the things that used to scare the crap out of me as a child. You edits it that it's such a such a driver.
Speaker 5: Well and for and for good.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know a lot of good work has come out of it, you know, turning on your part, Blake and Hopefully my springhil jackwork will be you know, we'll do some good in terms of sort the week from the chat essentially, I mean, of all the subjects I've studied, and there have been a few over the years, I think the spinkle Jacket, the original spinkle Jack, the one in the original sources, differs perhaps most dramatically from the one who appears in the secondary forty and sources in terms of just how unlike the way in which is portrayed in the sort of secondary works, the original springhil Jack was.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it just a little deeper. He has these powers. He can leap, he can jump, he can blow blue flames, he has glowing eyes. He's dressed a little bit oddly. Iron claws, Yeah, yeah, he has iron claws. I forget about that. And then but somehow in the contemporary accounts, I'm not clear on this. It's not that he's a rapist. He's kind of a grabbist. Is that his things?
Speaker 4: I mean, we were today, I suppose to call it sexual assault. Essentially, he leaps out of you know, sort of dark corners and grabs young girls, I mean teenage girls who are walking by, and well, I mean, this is what he did in his two most famous assaults, and then had these two assaults and not happen. I think we wouldn't remember from el Jack today. I mean the main reason for this being that the girls in question actually then did report him to the authorities, and there was a police investigation as a result, and a lot of people, of course naturally assume that, you know, if someone who's been has been attacked and goes to the authorities and gets the magistrates looking for this person, well there must be something in it.
Speaker 5: They're not going to be just lying about something like that. That.
Speaker 4: The first of these cases involved a girl called Jane Olsop who lived in a lonely house near Bow, which is in East London, but it was on the outskirts of London at this time. It was still a sort of semi rural area, and her house was on a sort of back pathway that was led past some fields essentially, and it was several hundred yards at least from the sort of nearest other house. And the story goes and then this is the sort of that Jane herself told that on the twenty second of February eighteen thirty eight, at about nine in the evening, there is a violent knocking at the gate of this house in Bearbinder Lane in East London, and Jane was in the house with her elder sister and her two parents, and she went out to find out what the problem was. And there was a tall, dark figure standing in the shadows. I mean, of course, this was before street lights and everything else was available in the middle of winter, who said, for God's sake, bring me a light, for we've caught spring heel jack here in the lane. Jane went back indoors and she went to fetch a candle, which she brought out to this figure standing by the garden gate, and when she gave it to him, he held it up underneath his chin, which of course is the sort of classic Halloween posture which you do with a torture in telling a scary story Halloween. But when she looked at his face in that light, she saw it had a sort of demonic aspect, and the eyes were glowing like red balls of fire, and he then breathed his blue and white balls a flame into her face and then grabbed her and he started clawing at her back and her dress with his iron claws and pinned her head under his armpit and started raking away at her, and she screamed, of course, and her sister came rushing out to try and help her. Between the two of them, after quite a long struggle that lasted at least a minute, apparently, she managed to finally to tear herself away with leaving large chunks of her hair and with scratch marks on her as a result of this. In the second case, this was a few days later. I had a week later involving a girl called Lucy Scales. It was a butcher's sister from Limehouse, which is a little bit further into the City of London, so this is the city of London proper, but still in the east end of it. She and her sister were walking through a narrow alley called Green Dragon Alley, just off the Thames, and they came across a tall figure standing in a corner of this alleyway who stepped forward and breed blue flames into Lucy's face, leaving her in a fit of hysterics on the floor. In that particular case, there wasn't an assault beyond the breathing of the fire, but those two cases together certainly convinced a lot of Londoners that there was something more than mere rumor to do with these strange stories of spring Hill Jack. Until that point, a lot of people, certainly the newspaper reading class than the middle classes, essentially thought that spring Hill Jack was essentially just a room with the sort of thing that servants would gosper about, but was just a wild tall tale. And suddenly, especially in the case of Jane Alsop, who was herself from this sort of educated middle class, you have someone from that and from your own class who's reporting in fairly hysterical terms that she's been attacked by a very real person or a very real creature of some sort, and that brings the whole thing very firmly into focus and puts the whole thing into the newspapers in a major way for the first time as well.
Speaker 3: So he was predominantly known for attacking women, but there were some cases where he reportedly attacked men as well, weren't there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And this, of course is one of the intriguing things about it. I mean, I think there's one thing. It's all very well saying, well, you know, this is the sort of thing that sort of you know, some sort of slimy pervert would do essentially. I mean, there are loads of cases of men attacking young girls. It's not a very brave thing to do, it's not a very dangerous thing to do. But spring Hill Jack, according to the stories that went around at the time, at least, was a rather more equal opportunity criminal. And he was also supposed to have beating up a blacksmith, for example, and a muffin man. You know, to take on a Victorian area blacksmith, that's quite a lot more challenging than a teenage girl. These are sort of rough, tough guys, and so you know, from that point of view, of course, then that becomes a little bit more difficult to believe that this is just an ordinary prankster or some drunken yob. I mean, he's constantly able to do this. I mean there are again, I mean, this is assuming that all these early stories are literally true, which of course is something is very challengeable. But if you read these new sperper sods, there are probably ten or fifteen of these assaults and modus. You know, half of them at least probably are on men. And you do think on that basis, you know, he's constantly getting away. No one's ever able to lay a finger on him. What's going on here? It doesn't sound quite as obvious that it's actually a sort of genuine human being. And it's those sorts of suspicions that the power normal authors use when they write about Springhill got to imply that he's something more than a man.
Speaker 1: Essentially, we'll see. So, can you tell us about some of the attempts by law enforcement and the public to actually catch spring Hill Jack?
Speaker 4: Well, if we stay in eighteen thirty eight for a minute, there were a couple of significant things here to say. The first is that there were significant attempts to try to catch spring Hill Jack. Jane also and Lucy Scales both went to the local police office, which is a sort of magistrate's court that existed. This is in the very early days of modern law enforcement in London. The Metropolitan, the police that we know of today has only been founded in eighteen twenty nine, and it was still rather small, rather badly regarded in many cases force in this early stage. And there was a second set of authorities effective that worked in parallel at this time, so that each of the magistrates who ran London's police offices, and there were about ten of these offices had their own force of detectives who were linked to their court and were paid by them, and they could assign these people to do an investigation. So in the case of Jane also there were two separate investigations. One was by the Metropolitan Police K Division out in Stepney and East London, and the other was led by the detective who worked for the Lambeth Street Police Office, and his name was James Lee, and he was actually probably the most famous detective in Britain at this time. It was the sort of Sherlock Holmes of his day. And he'd been involved in two or three very notorious murder cases, the most famous of which is the Mariah Martin case, which is known as the murder in the Red Barn, which had taken place out in near Ipswich about seven or eight years earlier, and even today that's remembered in Britain at least as one of the most notorious murders of the nineteenth century and Lee had solved it. So we're not talking about some useless, incompetant watchmen being put onto this case. This is a genuine detective who has genuine police skills, and he and the Metropolitan Police did Paralleln inquiries. And what was interesting about this was two things. I mean, Firstly, they did manage to turn up a number of witnesses who'd been in bear Binder Lane at the time of the Jane Alsop assault. And the second thing is that Leed also arranged for some experiments to be done in the local teaching hospital to see if he could duplicate the way in which it was possible to produce bursts of blue and white balls of flame. And I'll go through those two things one after the other if I can. I mean, the first thing is to say that the witnesses in the in bearbind De Lane had a couple of interesting things to say.
Speaker 5: The first was that they would appear to.
Speaker 4: Have been at least two people involved, because at the time that spring Hilda was attacking Jaine, also his cloak fell to the floor and after he retreated away from the house, which incidentally, the people in the house saw him do this and described him as sort of heading off over the fields, but something not sort of bounding away with sort of his spring heeled leaps.
Speaker 5: He just ran off as an ordinary human being would have done, but.
Speaker 4: He did it without collecting his cloak, and yet somehow the cloak vanished. So the police sort of and Lee both concluded that there was an accompass involved who picked up the cloak and made himself scarce. The second and perhaps even more revealing thing was that two of the witnesses in Bearbinder Lane. One was a wheelwright who had a large wheel actually on his shoulder at the time, and the other wis his friend, and they were walking around aboute hundred yards away from the house when this screaming emerged from it, and they were absolutely adamant that they could see quite clearly into this garden.
Speaker 5: And they said at the police court.
Speaker 4: Had the assault on Jaine also been as fierce and as intensive as she described, you know, they would have known about it.
Speaker 5: And they didn't see this. They didn't see any blue and white balls of fire.
Speaker 4: And at this point the magistrate sort of Injectson says that it doesn't appear that she's got any very bad injuries on her either. So there is at least a suspicion that some of this sort of fierce attack that so sort of made a mark on the forty in literature was actually not exactly imagination, but certainly there was also sort of panic and overstatement. So I think that there's you know, it's quite a good thing. It's a very good thing. In this case, there was a proper police investigation because it has helped us to put things much more into perspective, you know. And similarly, Lee, when he went to the teaching hospital, was able to be used at least blue balls of fire by using a technique involving.
Speaker 5: Spirits of alcohol.
Speaker 4: And one of the correspondents I've had over the years when I've been working on this case tells me that in magic books in that period there was a technique producing balls of fire which would involve impregnating a small sponge with alcohol holding in your mouth, and then if you breathe out your sort of spiritus vapors near a candle, you can produce what's in the dark and at very short range, appears to be quite a surprising ball of fire. Now, now, this to me seems to tie together quite well with what the witnesses are saying. In other words, it's entirely possible given those two statements that Jane also at very close quarters was stunned by what to her was a huge burst of blue and white fire, but which would only been visible from a matter of a few feet away, in which the witnesses Smith and Richardson the names, who were on hundred yards away wouldn't have necessarily seen. So there's not necessarily a huge disconnect between those stories. But certainly what you don't have to assume is that this is some sort of know monster with fire breathing dragon ish type of abilities. I mean, the two things that strike one most about these accounts of Jane Alsop and Lucy Scales is that fire was involved in both of them. Jane also goes to get a candle, and she has to give the candle to spring Hill Jet before he breathes blue and white balls of fire. At Lucy Scales encountered somebody who was holding a lantern and who actually held it up at sort of head height before he blew his blue fire into her face. So I think that the witnesses could quite clearly be describing a genuine assault here, which involves somebody using effectively a sort of parlor magic trick.
Speaker 1: That is very cool. Have you talked to any magicians about trying to reproduce this.
Speaker 5: I probably need to do that. Yeah, if you know any good.
Speaker 4: Ones to let me know, I have surely do I do, I do, and I genuinely would like to know, especially with a god. I need to speak to someone like Ricky Jay really, I mean somebody who would know a lot about the contemporary literaly to how widely known this technique if it existed was because I mean, obviously one of the key elements of my research has been is this some sort of fable or is there some genuine assaults going on? And really outside the Jane all sort of Lucy Scales assaults, It's pretty hard to be definite that anybody was ever inuin the attacked. I mean, you can try and track down some of these witnesses, and in fact, at the time, people did do this, And there's a very revealing account in a newspaper called The Morning Herald dating back to Jenuary the tenth or eleventh to eighteen thirty eight, which says, you know, we send a reporter out to look into these stories. This is when spring Hill Jack was just a rumor around the outside of London, and he asked people about it, and each person director you know said I don't know about it, but I can tell you who does, and send them on to another person who immediately said, no, I don't know anything about it in fact, but I've heard that this person knows.
Speaker 5: And of course this.
Speaker 4: Is classic classic urban legends stuff, isn't it. That it's a friend of a friend of a friend. And here we have an eighteen thirty eight before urban legends we've ever heard of it, you know, a precise description of the mechanism by which these stories spread, and so you know, we do have two very distinct sort of paths of inquiry here in that you know, Springhill Jack is ninety five percent effectively, you know, a spread of a legend, which is one type of inquiry, and here we have two or three very specific cacters are very apparently real, genuine physical as. So you know that those two things having how do they tie together? That's one of the main lines of inquiry I've been pursuing all these years.
Speaker 3: So outside of law enforcement attempts, were there any vigilante attempts to try and capture spring Heel Jack, Well.
Speaker 4: There were a number, I mean, and we don't these are not so well recorded. I mean a reward was put up for spring eil Jack. Edward Codrington is one of the most famous famous animals of the day. It was one of the first subscribers, and so that there wasn't There were undoubtedly people wandering around London hoping to lay their hands on spring hild Jack. And we have two or three cases dating to slightly later in eighteen thirty eight of you know, these these vigilante attacks having consequences because you know, unfortunate people who were in mistaken for Spring heel Jack were beaten up quite badly and ended up in one or two cases in police courts. I mean what happened, of course. And again this just muddies the water even further is as the story spreads and people start reading these descriptions, there's a definite sort of subsection society thinks that sounds pretty cool. I wouldn't mind how many go at that much. It must be quite fun to fronten some poor kid. And so there are cases of people, you know, dressing themselves up with sort of paper masks, and some pretending to be spring heel Jack being mistaken for Spring heel Jack by the vigilantes and set upon and beaten up and this does, as I say, considerably muddy the waters. And of course, going back in London a few years earlier, and this is one of the things that maybe we can talk about later because it does tie in. There had been a case called the Hammersmith Ghost Scare of eighteen oh four, where Hammersmith had been infested by reports of ghost dressed in white. And at the height of this scare, an unfortunate bricklayer who wore as part of bricks used to make white dust in those days, and so brick lays would typically wear white clothes so that the dust wouldn't show on their clothes.
Speaker 5: He was going home, going home.
Speaker 4: For the evening, and he was set upon by a vigil antian with a blunderbus who shot him dead. And there was a very famous murder case involved in this, because of course his defense was I genuinely thought this was a ghost.
Speaker 5: And this actually still.
Speaker 4: Bears even in British or even today on the justifiable homicide as you would call it, defense is whether or not you can actually not be guilty of murder if you genuinely think you're being attacked by a supernatural being or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a famous sad case. Yeah. They Brian Dunning covered that on his Skeptoid podcast a little bit. Considering how much of this is legend and how much of this is fact, how did you approach your investigation considering how much you had to get through? How much material are its ouf there?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you know, my background is that I'm in the story and the historian's tactic here essentially, you know, you try not to form too much an opinion early on, and you go and find as much stuff as you can.
Speaker 5: So I spend a very.
Speaker 4: Large amount of time, particularly in the early days before newspaper digitization came in, and thank God for that, you know, going through a large stack of old Victorian Erea newspapers I don't recommend to anybody because they were you know, they were all printed in six point type, no illustrations, no headlines, and you have to sort of scan through the whole thing looking for mentions of this story, which can come into a number of different guys is and it really does, you know, it's instant headache time, essentially. But I've read through sixty or seventy runs of newspapers for you know, five or six months at a time, and it does take a long time to go through that and over the I mean, but when I first published this, this is back in nineteen ninety six, as I said, before modern digitization came in, I'd managed to find forty five thousand words of original sources in eighty different newspapers. Since then, I mean, it's just give you an illustration of how different forty researches these days, now that we do have these fantastic new techniques available to us. My current total, you know, on this file is about nine to two hundred and forty thousand words, so I've you know, more than I've got about five times as much, six times as much material.
Speaker 5: A lot of it's duplicates essentially, but.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I'm now reasonably satisfied that I have pretty much cornered the market essentially in spring Hill jacktype material, certainly from the nineteenth century. I mean, there may be some significant other cases there, but given the way that newspapers tended to copy each other quite dramatically, you know, they just lift news from one from the other, and you'd find stories from the Isle of Wight appearing in Glasgow newspapers and things like that, I'm reasonally confident that they're probably not any major reports that I have missed so far. So now that I have that, now I can start making some theories. And you start by looking at obviously looking at the material, and as I was saying, you effectively observe that you know, there are a number of different strands of this. There is obviously an element of urban legend and folklore, and all these shape shifting stories tie into that. And the interesting thing about them, of course, is that they don't just appear in newspapers. They appear also in sort of contemporary pamphlet, which is sort of prototype Penny Dreadfuls or Bloods as you might know them in the United States, which a sort of you know, the sort of tabloid literature of their day, and the more extreme stories appear in those. I mean, so the story of spring hil Jack appearing as a lamplight or walking on his hands with his ladder held between his legs and the big lantern on top of the ladder, or spring heel Jack is a sort of giant baboon up in the trees, or spring hil Jack as a sort of fox like figure dressed in hunter's uniform, all of those don't appear in newspapers, but they do appear in contemporar pamphlets, so you can sort of see that there are, you know, different strands of evidence depending upon your what sort of educational level, as what you would be thinking about spring Hill Jack in eighteen thirty eight, if you were a servant or reading one of these Penny bloods, you might get a bit of a thrill. This sort of essentially sort of earlier ere at sort of eighteenth century type of folklore. I mean, you know, you can trace these types of shape shifting figures back to sort of early devil stories, and then you've got this sort of more modern monster who is using essentially sort of modern science and mechanics and all this stuff.
Speaker 5: You know. One of the interesting things about and the most.
Speaker 4: Striking thing when you actually go through this vast pile of Victorian ERAa stuff, is that not the single line in a single story in any of these newspapers say spring Hil Jack is a supernatural being. I mean, he's known as the suburban ghost, but people don't literally see him as a ghost, or certainly not the newspaper writers were covering the story the newspaper writers were covering the story see him as a sort of you know, servant's legend essentially, and they sort of ridicule them, and the servants themselves largely seem to see him as not as a ghost, but as as a nobleman in fact, I mean. And then again, this is a trope which is quite common in those days. The idea of the sort of overprivileged buffoonish.
Speaker 5: Aristocrat with a lot of spare time in his hands, who.
Speaker 4: Is able to get away with anything because he's rich and well connected, is quite a commonplace in those days. And spring Hill Jack was seen by a lot of people as a brutal nobleman who went around with a gang of other noblemen. And this, of course has explained a lot of the facts has had emerged. How is spring Hill Jack able to get from the east end of London to the West end of London? How is he able to dress up in all of these remarkable outfits? Well, who can afford a suit of armor? How can you afford this amazing spring heel boots that he's got, And all of those things point to somebody very wealthy. And in fact, there was a lead suspect even at that time the Marquess of Waterford, who was one of the sort of great aristocratic thugs of his day and was well known for his sort of outrageous behavior and beating up watchmen and pranking people, and he was quite widely believed I think at the time to be spring Hill Jack.
Speaker 3: That sounds like some of the explanations for Jack the Ripper as well.
Speaker 4: Very true. I mean, you know, this is as I say, it's a troupe essentially. I mean it does come up again and again throughout the Nineteenthenturary, not just with this story, but you know, in a number of other cases, and you know, and people have pointed out and I think there's some truth in this that essentially spring hil Jack is also a prototype Batman. I mean, he's Bruce Wayne in the early Victorian Bude. He's got money, he's got a load of high text stuff that nobody else has got, you know. In some of the springhild Jack Penny dreadfuls, he actually hides in the cave in a graveyard. So there are some quite strong connections between Batman and spring Hiel Jack invent.
Speaker 1: But he's also a dressing really fancy and knocking women around. So he's kind of putting the pimp and pimpernel.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, batman esque some of them, of course. I mean, this is one of the interesting things about this, the way in which this develops, just to touch on this briefly, is that you know, by the time the penny dreadfulls get hold of him, they turn him into a hero. I mean, he is the sort of if he is a nobleman, he's a nobleman who's been wrong, you know, he's been deprived of his inheritance or whatever, and he's actually out to protect the heroine. And the only people who get beaten up in the actual in the bloods are you know, sort of bad guys.
Speaker 5: Who deserve it, is actually there.
Speaker 4: He backed women in fact, so there's a pretty seismic shift in the way in which he's portrayed.
Speaker 3: So what are some of the other theories about who or what spring hil Jack was or is. Well.
Speaker 4: I mean, over the years, a lot of strange things have been suggested. I mean, of course, inevitably, in the nineteen sixties, when Flying Source of Reviews started to be published and they heard about the story, he got sort of tied into the hole. Is spining heel Jack some sort of UFO occupant and rather than an elaborate theory was proposed in FSR in nineteen sixty two suggesting that he was actually a sort of a stranded alien. I mean that this is a theory which which positive that he was actually looking for a safe house and he kept knocking on people's doors because he was going to the wrong place, because he didn't know London very well, and he was only attacking people when they screamed, essentially, so he was sort of trying to shut them up because he was about to be about to be revealed to the authorities. And you know, this works only in the sense that, you know, the people who wrote this by this stage were getting old of a very perverted version of the spring Hill Jack story and adding some elements to it themselves, so that you know, they have Springhill spring Hill Jack was sort of weird cropped ears a bit, sort of like Spock and Star Trek. They have a spring hiel Jack who is much more alien than the original spring hil Jack actually was. So there's the UFO connection. I mean, there's the whole sort of escaped from an azerie type of connection, where spring hil Jack is supposed to be either an escape monkey or in some cases escape kangaroo even and there are then you know, there's the sort of more esoteric, sort of power dimensional type of theory which people like John Keel would have subscribed to, where spring Hill Jack becomes a sort of ultra dimensional figure who's come into this universe from some other universe or from some sort of you know, high gravity universe somewhere else, which which would allow for his spectacular leaping ability. Of course, none of which, of course, you know this is this is the point of my research in a sense that all of that is only really you can take it, even remotely seriously and as a sort of theory if you haven't read all the original sources, only if you've got the sort of perverted secondhand let's conflate every room we've heard and then double it type of forty and pot boiler. Can you actually say, Okay, if this is the evidence, and this is a theory that fits the evidence, the real evidence doesn't point to any of that. The real evidence really only points in two directions, which is that spring heeld Deck is either an urban legend or a person who's decided to do this either because he's drunk or foot prank or both, and neither of those is really a complete and full explanation on itself.
Speaker 1: In fact, I think it's there's a tendency among modern readers to sort of attribute a sort of superstitious ignorance to people from previous centuries. And I know, by itself, I'd like to believe that this kind of imaginative attribution by witnesses wouldn't happen now. But I saw that in your research. You point to the recent child deaths in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh being attributed to pig Face, where all any magic flying van. So I'm guessing people still report extremely unlikely things.
Speaker 4: Now, that's true, and I think I'm not a great believer in sort of Young's idea of archetypes. But one of the intriguing things about this is, you know what causes this this figure, a very similar figure to crop up in so many different times and places. And this is something that I've researched long and hard. Yeah, I mean, to be completely answered, I don't have an answer to this question yet. I mean a lot of spring heel Jack stories occur in the sort of places you would expect. They occur in Newfoundland, they occur in Australia, they occur in New Zealand, they go in South Africa. In other words, in places where where you know, people who are emigrating from written to bits of the British Empire might conceivably carry these stories. And you know, and they are obviously very clear links. I mean in Newfound and there's a figure then as spring Heel Jackson who's very clearly a sort of perverted version of Springhiel jack There's just been sort of slightly changing the passages of a bit of time in a bit of a few miles, and somebody's taken the story from that they heard, you know, from their mother's nee or whatever, and told it again to their kids in Newfound and it sort of spread around that island. But the interesting thing is that they are also stories of spring Hill Jacking places where there was never any British imperial influence, you know, in the in the nineteen eighties, in Mogadishu, which is in Somalia had previously been part of Italian Somali that it had never been, but it had been a British territory for about two years in World War Two there was this figure the tall Man, who was supposed to be able to leap huge distances and would sort of appear at second floor bedroom windows. And clearly that's a spring Hill jack type of archetype, but he's not known as spring Hill Jackie's and as the tall Man. Similarly, in Russia at the time of the Russian Revolution, in Saint Petersburg, there were a gang of a gang of criminals called calling themselves the Leapers, who used to go sort of hopping about and pretending to be able to leap huge distances and allegedly actually genuinely wore springs on their feet to terrorize people so they could rob them. And you know they were originally they were tracked down by the Checker, the original KGB and executed, I mean, and again they seemed there were police reports describing these guys in the Russian archives, and you know they seem to be in genuine But where do they get this idea that it would be a good idea to dress up if it be like spring Hill jack from There's no obvious way in which that story could have got there, And the most famous example, perhaps like this, is Perak, the spring Man of the Prague, who in the later years of World War Two was seen by a lot of Czechs as sort of, you know, a defender of the Czech people against the Nazis.
Speaker 5: And there are a.
Speaker 4: Lot of urban legends and folklore in Czechoslovakia, in the Czech Republic as we would now call it, going back to nineteen forty four to forty five, describing this figure in exactly the same terms as spring Hill Jack, right down to the kind of iron claws and business. Where did it come from? I mean, I've done a lot of work investigating it. Did any British penny dreadfuls get translated into Czech in the early ninety hundreds, and in fact a lot did, but not the spring Hill Jack story. So I'm still completely at a loss to know how this story spreads. And it must be to a certain extent that there's something fativistic about about it whole figure. I mean, there's something that just grips the human mind that there could be somebody who has this sort of leaping ability and this sort of devilish parents that crops up again and again. This is what folklore is call a migratory legend, and unfortunately, and I got very excited when I heard about that they had this concept because it didn't exactly describe what I was finding in my research. But when you actually look into it, folklores have no real explanations to how it works, how this legend migrates. They just know that it does do. So you get sort of Jack and the Beanstalk type legends in lots of different countries that have no apparent connection to each other.
Speaker 5: But I still don't know.
Speaker 4: I would be very pleased to hear anyone who can explain exactly why this happens, whether there is some form of transmission that I'm not aware of, or whether it's just that the human imagination, because we're all human, works in very similar ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fascinating question. And those stories, well, you know, it seems like it ties a little bit into mimetics, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean that's another interesting modern theory which I need to look into maybe a bit more. But I haven't again heard anything that specifically explains how this work. I mean, it's people sort of noticing phenomenon, sort of trying to grow towards an explanation. We really haven't got any firm answers to it yet, but quite plainly, this goes a long way beyond spring hiel Jack. I mean it would explain an awful lot of different forteing phenomena essentially, wouldn't it.
Speaker 1: It would, I think, And this is a project you'd probably appreciate. But I think in some way there ought to be And I know there are already like a list of tropes that people track in folk for, but it seems like these things are almost could be divided into discrete packets of information that you could measure with computer software. The reason I say it so like that there's a genetic piece of the story that's the spring Hill character, there's a genetic piece that's the fire breathing character, and that you could look at these legends and just sort of see where the pieces match up across lots of different pieces of the literature. It's something that's been intriguing me for a few years now. I wanted to know if there was a software solution.
Speaker 4: Google then grand Viewer I suppose would allow to track of mentions of the name and things like that. But yeah, I mean the actual You're right, I mean folklores of course have their sort of you know, in fotal index, you know, they sort of assign numbers and letters to all of these stories, and spring Jack fits into that category. But that again just tracks what exists rather than explains why it exists in the in the strange places.
Speaker 1: Two parts, two parts, at least two parts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the closest theory would be in anthropology or linguistics, the idea of diffusion, where you've got some kind of whether it's language or whether it's some kind of cultural element, and it just diffuses and spreads throughout society, and then you know, travels overseas as well, as you were saying to other countries that have been influenced by Britain in so far as spring heel Jack is concerned countries like India and Australia from Singapore, and that would explain the claims leaping to those countries as well. That's absolutly right to some extent anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, in much like mimetics, the idea would be the ideas are transported but also mutated. So and I think you've probably covered that to some extent, but maybe we could talk about that a little more so, how did especially the journalism, how did the news reports, in addition to the folklore, shape the way the spring Hill Jack story emerged.
Speaker 4: Well, I think this is a very worthwhile point, and I mean it does two things. I mean, it helps to explain how the story spreads, because you know, stories that are cropper in one place get copied in newspapers a long way away, and so the story spreads you through this through the new newspaper press and to sort of newly literate classes in a way that hadn't been possible even sort of forty.
Speaker 5: Or fifty years before. And one of the key things that happens in this.
Speaker 4: Period is that, you know, the British press, in order to control it, pactively sense of it, although I didn't like to put it that way, had been subject to what we call the stamp tax. So everyone who published a newspaper had to have each copy stamped and pay tax on it. And this effectively raised the price of a newspaper to something like six or seven old pence, which at that time was you know, the whole wage of a daily labor would be about the same man. So it would be like being asked you to part with one hundred, one hundred and fifty bucks to a newspaper these days. Obviously that meant that only the sort of very rich, literate people who could be trusted with this new form of communication were actually buying newspapers. And it wasn't until the sort of mid eighteen hundreds that the stamp tax was abolished, and suddenly you get these sort of unstamped papers and this story explodes, and I don't think it's a coincidence. And after the original spring Hill Jack stories of eighteen thirty eight, there's a sort of lull, I mean they gone for a couple of years, well after eighteen forty. There was a lull until the eighteen sixties where not a lot is happening in spring Hill Jack world. And then there's an explosion of springhil Jack reports. Again he's seen in place like all the Short Army Camp and Culchister Army Camp in the eighteen seventies, for example. And this ties in very closely to the explosion of publications of penny dreadfuls and understanded newspapers. And so I think that quite clearly you could at least posit here that you know, the story has been revived and been spread by these much more widely circulated newspapers. And we're talking about a situation where you know, the Times newspaper goes from a circulation of five or six or seven thousand to a circulation of six figures. So newspapers are being much much more widely read, as indeed our penny dreadfulces. And you have this whole new literature, and it's a whole new literate class of people who are reading them. And it all ties into this sort of spreading education in a sort of industrial revolution society, which is something the historicals done a lot of study of. Now that's one thing. The second thing, and this again is something I wasn't aware of when I started my work, and it's become much clearer in the last few years with newspaper digitization, because you know, you can only search so many blank crampieces of paper for things that probably aren't there before you get fed up, in my experience, But now that we've got this ability to do keyword searches and we don't have to search the springhel jackets, so you can search for phrases like iron claws or you know, red balls of Fire or whatever it's going to be or spring Boots is one interesting one. And when you start doing that, you discover that there are earlier versions of this story in print, which nobody had spotted before because nobody had been able to sort of go through every newspaper ever published for years and years, and the story goes back well, I mean the earliest version I've traced actually dates to a pamphlet published in London in sixteen seventy seven, which is about a devil appearing in Suffolk who has very close similarities to springheel Jack and you know, is very ajulant, can leap over sort of fifteen foot high walls, but he's in It's real. It's a man who's done according this is the story anyway at the time. It's a man who's in league with the devil. He's signed away his soul in exchange with this sort of ability to rob people and get away from them for three or four or five years. And then there's another gap where something's going on but I haven't traced yet, And then we have the Hammersmith Ghost Scare of eighteen oh four, where again, yeah, there are distinct parallels with the Spring hil Jack story of eighteen thirty eight. The Hammersmith ghost is described as wearing a cow's hide, for example, which is a phrase which is using exactly the same terms in the very earliest period of the Springhill Jack stories, when he's still touring around the villages outside London, he's and he's in all these different guys as one of them is dressed in animal hide. And then in eighteen oh nine there's a thing called the Croydon Monster, who's a man dressed in sort of military style uniform with a long cloak, but who can leap about. And in eighteen twenty five, eighteen twenty four to twenty five there's a ghost down on the South coast and Hampshire and the Isle of Wight who is exactly the same as Springhill Jack, down to having large claw gloves and wearing wearing a suit of armor. And again in Hammersmith in eighteen thirty three. Now, so of course, you know, all of this led me to ask what the heck is going on here? I mean, is this actually some sort of genuine supernatural creature?
Speaker 5: Who's you know?
Speaker 4: I mean, this is obviously what the UFO crowd would ten to interpret it as I'm sure I don't want to knock them too.
Speaker 5: Much, but they would tend to see this is a j real stories.
Speaker 4: It's in the newspaper, it must be real, and therefore you know, spring Hill Jack has been around for long and wethink. Actually, now this is the key thing. You know, you need to study how journalism worked in those days, and basically you can't consider that newspapers as they existed in eighteen ten eighteen thirty were like newspapers a day where the sort of a large staff of experienced reporters would be sort of sent out to do to look into these stories and come back with a true story having interviewed lots of people that just simply did not happen in the Victorian period. A newspaper in those periods was an editor, and it was a large national newspaper, being an editor and a parliamentary staff, so it'd have some guys who went along and reported on what was going on in parliament and everything else in it, all of the sort of sensational and stuff. All the crime stories were supplied by freelancers who are called penny aligners in those days, and they would live by their wits they could only know they could only publish stories if they could get them into the newspapers. The newspapers didn't there was no retainer. They only earned from the stories that were published, and those stories would tend to come in parliamentary recesses when because the newspapers in those days again we're not like modern newspapers, large with multiple supplements and endless space for news, they were very restricted.
Speaker 5: I mean, and this again goes back to the stamp tax business.
Speaker 4: And this is one of the reason why they're so crammed and there's no headlines is that you want to get the maximum amount in this very small space. They're normally four pages long, so if you've got something going on in parliament then there's no room for these stories. But in the parliamentary recesses there's suddenly much less news and their penny aligners come alive and they start selling all these stories. If you plot the times of which Parliament is sitting in England in this period and spring Hill Jack stories, there is a direct correlation between when the stories appear and when Parliament is not sitting. That's one interesting thing that I've discovered. The second thing is what do these penny aligners do when there's no sensational murders happening. And you know the answer is they copy out old stories and they sell them again, and they do this repeatedly. So what's happened, almost certainly, is that the spring hil Deac of eighteen thirty eight is exactly the same as the Springhiel Jack of eighteen thirty three and eighteen twenty five and eighteen twenty four and eighteen oh nine. He's just got a bit more traction because of the Alsop and the scales stories where somebody perhaps has gone and actually done us. You know, this is a copycat crime essentially, that's all that differed. It distinguishes the Spring eil Jack of eating thirty eight from these earlier versions. So what's probably happened is that, you know, a newspaper journalist down on his luck, needing to earn a few pounds for his dinner, has gone through some old newspapers and found an earlier version of the story and just transposed it to the London of eighteen thirty seven thirty eight, and it's just caught on in this particular case, and then everyone's forgotten over the years. I mean over the years, they forget the eighteen thirty eight spring or Jack much. That's the early ones. But even in eighteen thirty eight they'd forgotten the early ones because it had just been one newspaper story in one newspaper ten years earlier. So journalism has a huge amount to do with this, and understanding how journalism works explains how this story spreads.
Speaker 1: And then the all sub story. He says, I've caught spring hil Jack and she goes to get help or in like like, so she must have been expected to know who the character was, right.
Speaker 4: Sure, absolutely, I mean the early you know, I mean the first versions call him steel Jack. I mean this is back in December eighteen thirty seven, and it's sort of and by by early January with there newspaper stories calling him spring Jack, and then you know, springhel Jack as a phrase actually first comes up in the Awesop story, but as in terms of its publication. But as you say, at some point between early January when this phrase spring Jack appears in the West Camp Guardian and the twenty second of February when spring heel Jack appears in the Times, Something's happened in London that we can't now trace and you know the phrase has been born, but they're just giving a name to a sort of you know, a figure who's existed effectively in newspaper stories for some time under there, I mean usually before that he's described effectively as a ghost. And of course, you know, you don't have to know that much about English literature to know that there is a bit of a tradition of ghosts dress in armor. For example is go back to Hamlet's father. So you know, there are lots of places where people where imaginative, hard up journalists could have drawn for a bit of inspiration in an attempt to sell us a sensational story to a newspaper and themselves their supper.
Speaker 3: And so there'd also be the possibility that a lot of these stories wouldn't have been reported to I think undoubtedly.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, the penny a liners had no way of knowing which of these stories were going to be taken up. And very often they would write stories and they wouldn't appear because something would have happened in parliament That meant there was no space. So essentially they were space fillers. Unless the murder had been particularly sensational.
Speaker 5: The factory.
Speaker 4: They were just kind of the you know, we still see this in newspapers a day, don't we. That there are a certain sort of categoria story which are the sort of the gosh where factor stories that they sort of squeeze into corners to fill a bit of space in between the quote serious news.
Speaker 5: And of course, one of the interesting things about it from a.
Speaker 4: Journalists point of view I know a bit about it because I was a professional journalist for six years earlier on in my career, is that the standards that are applied to those stories are a lot lower than the standards are applied to the proper hard news you know, revolution, volcanoes, parliamentary reporting type stuff. So again, you know, one has to bear in mind how journalists think and how journalists work in assessing all of these accounts.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's wonderful we live in a time now where papers like the Daily Mail have higher standards.
Speaker 5: Reporting standards.
Speaker 2: Debate that.
Speaker 3: You've referred to the replication of the blue flames a couple of times, and I think I've heard correct me if I'm wrong, that there were some attempts to replicate the spring heels.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, I mean again, we have. We have rumors about this, but they're not very reliable rumors. But one name that I mean, I can't really go an entour podcast worn't mentioning the name Peter Hayning. He wrote the only book that was until this year that's been published on spring hill Jack.
Speaker 5: He's a British writer, a hack writer, essentially him.
Speaker 4: He's dead now, so I can probably get away with saying that who anthologized nineteenth century sensation of literature for a living, And he alleged in his book on springhil Jack, which is full of highly unverified, made up stuff, as it turns out that in the nineteen forties thirties forties, the Germans had tried experiments with paratroops equipped with spring heels and had a ninety five percent incidence of broken ankles.
Speaker 5: I've never found any really, you know, sort.
Speaker 4: Of verifiable source for that story, and I've wasted quite a large number of weeks of my life. This is why I have a bit of a down on Peter Hayning. Really try and track down some of his more implausible stories to some sort of contemporary source, and it's just not possible. I mean, most notoristic Peter Hayning is the source of perhaps the most sensational attack that springhild Deck is ever supposed to have committed, which is in Jacob's Island, which is in a slub in London in eighteen forty four to forty five. Springhill Deck is supposed have appeared bounding over these sort of rickardy houses and the rickety bridges connecting them, and he comes across his teenage prostitute called Maria Davis Sandy on the bridge, grabs her, holds a holds her up over his head, and throws her into the muddy ditch where she drowns. And Haining publishes the story and also an illustration that's supposed to show the recovery of the body of Maria Davis from this ditch. Now, when I first published my Spring here that research back in nineteen ninety six, in forteen studies, I managed to track down the source of the illustration to the Getty Picture Library and it was just you know, it's actually labeled when you pull it from the library, it's labeled on the back. It comes from a publication called Old London or something that I can't remember the exact title, but it's a part work.
Speaker 5: Essentially.
Speaker 4: It was published in London in the eighteen seventies, Old and New London. It was called so and it was an engraving gest of Jacob's Island then showing some poor hatless Jacob's lander getting his water from this sewage filled ditch. And what's supposed to be the body of Maria Davis is actually this person leaning over with a saucepan to scoop up water. So you know, Hayning had just found this picture and used it in a completely false way. And when you actually search the death registers in London for the name Maria Davis, nobody of that name died in London in eighteen.
Speaker 5: Forty forty five. At all.
Speaker 4: Henning has simply made this story up to make his book a bit fatter and make it a bit more sensational. And you know he's only court now that you know, it's easy to track him that his stuff down now that it was in in nineteen seventies. But he got away with this for years and years. And there are several other examples of this sort. I mean, there's a whole section in the book I'm writing about Smith or Jack on Peter Haynes's sort of fakes and frauds. And we cannot underestimate how much impact Haning in particular has had on the modern fourteen literature, because the large majority of the more sensational stories about Springing or Jack the data after the ulcub account are essentially inventions.
Speaker 5: Don't you hate, one man?
Speaker 1: Don't you hate when your research takes you do having to try to find negative evidence?
Speaker 4: Well, it's impossible, isn't it hard? Because I mean, you know, you have to look at every newspaper published in London and every death record. Even then someone could say, oh, well, you know, she's just a prostitute and the you know, and the worst slum in London.
Speaker 5: The course her death wouldn't be registered.
Speaker 4: So you know, I mean it is tremendously difficult to do this, and you know you can, you can, And I mean one of one of the more the greater triumphs I suppose that I've managed to have here is that the other thing that Hayning does, you know, he tries to pin this on the markers of Waterford, and the main bit of evidence he uses for this is he alleges that water well, this is a true story this part is true. In the earlier in the summer of eighteen thirty seven, just before the spring hil Jack story happened, Waterford gone off to Norway on a bit of a jolly with some pluggish friends of his, and they've been involved in an altercation involving a prostitute from a local whorehouse and a night watchman from the city of Bergen, and the night watchmen it hit Waterford over the head with a mace and nearly killed him. And that's I mean, that definitely did happen. And Haining sort of picks up the story and uses it. I mean, he's obviously looking for something to say, you know, he wants to be able to show Waterford could have done it, and to do that he needs to prove that Watford would have had something against the police, because his theory is that springhil Jack is the sort of taunt of the police that Watford came up with. And so he suggests that that spring Hill, that springhild Jack comes from this animus, and that Waterford was really angry about the policeman in Bergen who hit him over the head. And he does this by printing an extract from the Memoirs and Correspondence of Sir Frederick Johnson, who was one of Watford's friends at the times, and he relates how they were on this stage coach back from you know, the land in Aberdeen. They traveled down to London the stage coach, plotting, you know, some some practs. He doesn't act, I mean, he's Haining is clever enough not to literally say we're going to invent this character called Springhill Jack, but he quotes Johnson saying, you know, we're going to come up with this sort of you know, this prank for the police. And this is like three or four weeks before Springhil Jack appears for the first time in the outcouts for London, So it's kind of the smoking gun effectively in Haining's account. Now, when you look into Sir Frederick Johnson, you discover a couple of interesting things about him. The first thing is that Haning depicts him writing this book in his old age, sort of looking back form on the indiscretions of his youth. In fact, Frederick Johnson died in a riding accident in eighteen forty two at the age of only thirty five, so he wasn't around right, and the memoirs and caused bonsors of Frederick Johnson, and so you know, you can point to these types of sort of huge howler that Ainy commits, not thinking that people are going to be easy to be able to check this in later years to sort of show that some of his evidence is obviously made up.
Speaker 5: But it's a lot easier had it was.
Speaker 4: And for years people just looked at Haymling's book and essentially that you would have seen this obviously in other cases, you know, and I as a child and an early teenager had this in space. If somebody's published a book on it, surely they've done the work. They must have done the serious research. They wouldn't have put it into print if they didn't believe it. Now obviously, you know, you mature eventually you realize that maybe there's another motive of publishing the sensational stuff like money. But you know, when you're a kid, you're not thinking about this sort of thing. And Haming got away with this four years because people, you know, he had a reputation of someone who'd read a lot of you know, old Victorian books, and so if he's citing that no one else has.
Speaker 5: Heard of it, probably because you know, he's read more books than anybody else.
Speaker 4: Of course, now we can use computerized catalogs to say there is no trace in any news, in any catalog, the British Museum, Library, the Library, Congress, you know, the WorldCat this book as Frederick Johnston at all, and so we can in a matter of seconds sort of expose him. But that just wasn't possible in nineteen seventies when he wrote his book, and he got away with an awful lot.
Speaker 1: It's an incredibly powerful tool, this whole digital transformation. I mean, it's totally changed, uh, the way I do research, and it's made it much more pleasant because I could do a lot of it from my house.
Speaker 4: Well, it certainly doesn't give you a headache quite in the same way as pouring over those old Victorian newspapers too.
Speaker 1: Well, I would love to I would love to pour for old newspapers, but like.
Speaker 5: In short bursts, right right, right, But I mean, just so you know there's something there.
Speaker 4: Yes, when you it's what you say about the negative evidence, When you just think I've got to go to this run just in case as a store, that's.
Speaker 3: When it gets the needle in a haystyle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know it's a historian. One has to do it. But you know it's with you, as I say, with a heavy heart. And this is why I'm happy to expose Haining now because he caused me to waste quite a few weeks of my life in the stuff that doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, fish shaking is like enough sometimes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's possibly getting in the neck from me.
Speaker 1: So why has there been such an enduring interest in spring Hill Jack? In your opinion?
Speaker 5: It obviously goes back to what we were talking about earlier.
Speaker 4: This is a figure who vividly captures people's imagination. He's quite unique from that perspective. I think he has a whole set of talents and powers are essentially folkloreic fairy tale. It's like the sort of you know, the guy in the Seven League boots essentially is the nearest fairy tale power. Perhaps, and this, this attracts people's imaginations in a way that you know, just doesn't. You can't underestimate, sorry, is what I'm trying to say. How much of an impact this remarkable thing has. And I mean there were two things to say. I mean, we recovered some of this already, but I'll say two more things. And firstly, you know he's apparently never caught, so that means, you know, the mystery is never sold. And secondly, he is you know, as I mentioned earlier, I think, you know, he's so ubiquitous, and he goes on and on, never apparently changing, and that has to imply until you start applying a bit of skepticism at least, that that he's not an ordinary human being. And those two things together kind of you know, form the core of the spring hil Jack and mythoss. One very interesting thing I did discover in the course of searching Google books. In fact, I think it was there was a spring Hill Jack scare in the eighteen seventies and Kensington, which is the part of London, the posh part of Western and wha I actually now work where.
Speaker 5: And it was written in the memoirs.
Speaker 4: Of this elderly actor who was looking back on his boyhood and recounted this sort of and they hadn't even apparently got into the newspapers actually, but you know in Kensington, at least amongst boys of his age, there had been this huge scare, you know, spring Hill Jack was breaking into their houses and you know, committing all sorts of mayhem, and all these tall stories arose about it. You know, he'd been seen leaping over this wall that was subsequently measured to be fifteen feet high. Now, the interesting thing about that is, in this one case, spring Hill Jack was actually caught. The police caught a burglar, and the guy says, you know, the remarkable thing was he wasn't anything like Springfield Jack. He was short and not very not very agile at all, and he hadn't been leaping over these walls. He'd been kind of laboriously scrambling over them. And so in this you suddenly get this, this is what's happening all the time, you know, except that the guy isn't being caught. You know, this is a there's a sort of elaboration element to spring heel Jack that's going on, and here, in this one instance, we finally got you know, that he's unmasked. You know, there's a real figure behind it. He's not trying to be springhil Jack. He's just an ordinary burglar. People are talking about it, they're sort of elaborating the stories, and you know, they associate springhil Jack with it because he's not being caught and he seems to be quite agile, and those are two things that spring hil Jack does. So the spring hid Jack name comes in and it's just built out of nothing, and you just look at that and you think, well, this is obviously probably what's happening in most of these other cases. I don't have this solution because the guy hasn't been caught or you know, nobody's written about it and made the connection, because nobody thought to ask these ten year old boys what they were calling this character. And there's an element that says this is probably happening a lot, and not just in the case of spring Hill Jack. But again, you know UFOs late months is all the great fourteenth phenomena are probably to a quite significant extent. You know, this is one of the great moments in my career, actually discovery of this, because it's so applicable, you know, once you realize this is how it happens to the vast majority of what we study.
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, and I think with Jack the Ripper, there are a number of cases of people who made false admissions. Was there anyone who did that with spring Hill Jack to say that they were spring Heel Jack?
Speaker 5: Well, they were.
Speaker 4: In the eighteen thirty seven thirty eight scare, there were four or five people who were caught pretending to be Spring hil Jack. I mentioned one of them earlier on being beaten up by vigilantes. So I don't think they were claiming to be springkingiled Jack in the sense of actually, you know, wanting people to believe they're some sort of supernatural demon. But they were imitating him. That would seem to be the more common thing. I mean again, one of the things that you have to bear in mind here, and it comes as a revelation I think to a lot of to me, I mean, because this isn't the bid of history that I normally specialize in. Actually is you know, you tend to look back on these people as they're like, you know, they're like us, only with gas light instead of electric light.
Speaker 5: But otherwise they're basically like us. That is simply not true.
Speaker 4: You have to understand how different it was then, and particularly in terms of you know, say, the entertainment factor, and I hear today we spend all one time complaining. Certainly, if you've got a daughter like me, why you're on Facebook? Why it was on that computer? You go and read a book. You know, but you people are sort of saturated with entertainment.
Speaker 5: Essentially.
Speaker 4: That was not the case in Victory in England. And as you read these old news films you realize the hell I mean there are you know a lot of people's idea of fun in the long dark winters and Victori Ingland was to go out and but tend to be a ghost and scare for you of their neighbors. That was high entertainment for a certain parts of you know, sort of Victorian working class England. And they are they're not all, not just spring Hill Jacksonville. But you know, fake ghost stories are a staple of the press in this time. There are dozens of people going out putting themselves in a sheet, you know, maybe not quite maybe not for a bid after the Hamisoneth Coast was shot, but you know when that gets you will start doing it again. They get dressed up in a sheet and they go and jump out going boo hoo, you know, from behind the wall. And a lot of these stories get confeted into spring Hill jacks stories when spring Hill Jackie is the big bogey figure. There's a case in Peckham which is a part of South London in eighteen seventy two, where you know, if you look at them in this again is a very very interesting discovery when you look at I mean, Haining mentioned the Peckham case, so I went looking for it in the News of the World, which is, you know, one of the worst style of the British tabloids. I mean you've probably heard of it even in the States because there was there was a huge scanner. It's been shut down literally in the last couple of years forgetting involved all sorts of naughties. But you know it existed in the eighteen hundreds as well. Refer to this case in Peckham and called it called the ghost there spring heel Jack. When I went to the local newspapers from Peckham in that period, they were full of stories of a ghost, but none of them mentioned springhil Jack at all. But what they all all made it pretty clear was it was some local guy quite literally with a sheet over his head. Now again, if you read Peter Hayning, well, if you are reasonably conscientious and go and look at the News of the World for the eighteen seventy two, you think this is a spring hill Jack story. It must be linked to the eighteen thirty seventy thirty eight they're calling in spring hill Jack, you know, therefore it must be linked.
Speaker 5: In fact, they're not linked at all.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just a name, it's a label and it's only being applied by some lazy journalists in the News of the World office in London, and the locals see it completely differently.
Speaker 5: They don't see it as a spring hil Jack type case at all.
Speaker 4: It's a bloke in a sheet who's pretending to be a ghost and they call it the Peckham Ghost and there is no connection whatsoever to springhil Jack. So again, you know, this is this is another element of how the newspapers and lazy labeling particularly work, and the word spring hill Jack, the phrase it's applied throughout this period. If you read the secondary sources, you invode, you get the information from them. This is springhiel Jack appeared in London in nineteen thirty seven, then in all the Shots in nineteen seventy seven, and in Everton in nineteen eight four. And it's by just saying it's spring heel Jack singular, it's the same figure. And this is one of the scary things about it. If your ten year old boy, you know, somebody's identified this is the same figure. When you go back and look at it, this isn't the case at all. Spring hil Jack is a word, a phrase which is applied to any burglar who can't be caught. Any agile criminal gets called a spring heel jack. You go back to the newspapers at the time and they're full of phrases like there are a lot of these spring heel Jacks about.
Speaker 1: So when studying spring hill Jack, before attributing him to all these cases, be careful to not leap to conclusions.
Speaker 4: I've got a word to say off of that appalling pan out you lost me?
Speaker 3: How will you? Mike? You mentioned that you're working on a book about spring heel Jack, So can you tell us about some of the projects that you're working on right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm rather guilty about this because I promised. I've promised this for quite a few years, and it's kind of my life's work and I don't want it to come out prematurely. And it's one of those sort of never ending projects where there's always some other thing that you could potentially do to link it together. But I really need to draw a line under this, because I think, as I say that with the digitalization, I can now at least be reasonably sure that all undoubtedly missing a ton of stuff. It's probably not vastly going to change my conclusions. So I'm going to make an attempt to try and get it out. What I've done here, I've basically brought in a bunch of friends and colleagues who know a lot more about some of these elements than I do, and I've used them to help me investigate some of the elements I had not previously been able to comprehend. So I've got a friend of mine called John Adcock, who's a Canadian specialist in penny dreadfuls and sensation literally in the nineteenth century, who understands the way in which the Victorian journalism worked far better than I do. And he's written an essay which explains how Victorian journalists got their story. And I've just summarized before you earlier, and you were very excited by this. The discovery it's really John's and not mine. I should give him full credit for it. I've worked with Dave Clark, who's well known as a UFO writer sort of respectable one. He works with the British National Archives and putting out their UFO farts for example, and he's written as a folk lows. He has a PhD in folklore and he's written the Folklore at Background. And I've written also with a couple of guys, Paul Chambers and his colleague Mike Davis, and they've done some genealogical research actually, which is actually also getting quite fascinating because you know, and he's an experienced genealogist, Paul Chambers is. And he took all of the names I discovered in the eighteen thirty seven, thirty eight newspapers and trapped them down in the birth, marriage and death records. And this was very interesting indeed, because what he was able to do was show that the the ones who are typically associated with the more sensational stories didn't exist. You know, all these names come out. He's saw spring heel Jack where he his daughter was attacked by spring heel Jack, and these are the people don't exist, and hence they must be inventions of the local newspaper newspaper man. So there are all sorts of elements in here. I tried to make it a multifaceted book which I couldn't have done by myself, and which sort of I hope, give the picture of the whole case in the round.
Speaker 5: So I hope it's going to be.
Speaker 4: A fairly worthwhile book, and certainly I think I can safely sathing it's going to be well over seven hundred pages long. They've probably never been such an intensive study of one smallish fourteenth phenomenon, you know, which is going to We're going to republish all of the original sources, fully footnoted, and it's going to be kind of the Bible, I hope, and I will continue to update it because I mean, with modern print on demand technology, I mean, I'm publishing this myself, I can just go on producing new editions as I find new material and updating it.
Speaker 5: And that's the plan essentially as long as I last, so that it.
Speaker 4: Will become a sort of resource that, you know, I mean again, I'm hoping it will become a resource that won't just be of interest people who wented in spring Hill Jack, but also might teach a few possible answers to people who are interested in other strange phenomena and have looked into him in quite the same way as we've done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great, exciting. Yeah, the historical context would be there, and I'm doing that, giving it a much more full picture than any of the literature so far. That's fantastic. Plus, you know it does, really it should. I don't know if it will, but it should tie into that whole steampunk aesthetic that's going around these days. This whole spring Hill Jack character fits right into that, you know.
Speaker 5: So it does.
Speaker 4: I mean Parak the spring Man of Prague is another example. I mean there are a lot of check steampunky tyb of interpretations of him, actually, and we've got a guy called Patriyannachak who's a check folk lord who's written two very very good papers on spring Man the Prague is a very little understood character. So there's lots of good stuff. I mean, it is worth waiting for one. I'm going to try and keep the price down as low as I can as well. But I've just got everyone else has finished their stuff except for me. But my my material is about seventy eighty thousand words long, which is kind of a small book in itself, and I'm only about halfway through writing it, so I need a few more weeks three time, which doesn't really exist for me at the moment.
Speaker 1: Now I get the same problem. So we've on Monster Talk. We try to finish our interviews by asking guests to name their favorite monster. So, Mike Dash, what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not allowed to name spring hiel Jack? Sure?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 5: Essentially?
Speaker 4: What I mean, I have to wade it half of my life to it now. I mean the other one I guess would be Morag, the monster of Lochmore. I mean, one of the things that characterizes me as a historian and as a Fortean is that I shy away from the mainstream as far as I possibly can. And as a historian, the thing that would bore me almost to tears would be the idea of spending three years in my life writing a biography of Henry the Eighth or Hitler, because everyone does it. So my career has been blighted by this in the sense, although there are lots of very interesting stories, they're not really sort of best seller type things because they're so obscure. And similarly, Morag, who's the monster Lochmoer, is a very interesting lake monster because it's the one lake essentially where there is a monster tradition that goes back well before the tradition of the Locknest monster, which it interrupts in nineteen thirty three and perverts the whole course of lake monster studies because all monsters there after are interpreted in the sense of being versions of the Locknest monster Maag. There are reports from Lockmore which date back to the late nineteenth century. I mean, I'm not suggesting, necessarily for a second that there's a genuine, living and breathing monster there, but there's a tradition of monster reports from Lockmore that is completely independent from Lockness and which I've spent a long time studying because of that, and again I'm hoping to eventually publish something on this. But I mean, I also recommend to anybody who is touring the Highlands of Scotland that Lockomar is considerably more beautiful than Lockness. It's a much more remote place, it's only got a few people living on it, It's got sort of wonderful, beautiful softer hills, and the water itself is very clear, unlike Lockness. And some of the interesting things that come out of Lockmore are reports or sort of things seen on the bottom of the lake, which you can't do in lockness where you can't see your hand in front of your face two foot depth because of so much pete in the water there. So Locke Moore is a is a very interesting and beautiful place and well worth a visit and well worth studying.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, it sounds like a great overview more and s Yeah.
Speaker 5: I.
Speaker 3: Think we're gonna have to have Mike back to talk about that too.
Speaker 1: That's sounded great. Yeah, So thank you for coming here today and talking with us. Mike. This was a great episode of I'm super excited about.
Speaker 3: Putting this very fascinating Thank you.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it more obstrut, thanks for listening to another episode of Monster Talk today. You heard Karen Stalls knowing Blake Smith interview Mike Dash about the Victorian figure known as spring Hill Jack. Be sure and check the show notes for links that will give you even more info about Mike Dash and this fascinating topic. Monster Talks produced with the assistance of Skeptic Magazine. However, the opinions and ideas and terrible puns heard here do not necessarily reflect the opinions or sensibilities or a sense of humor of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. If you enjoy monster Talk, you might consider donating to our transcript project. There are links at MonsterTalk dot org, and the transcripts help us make monster Talk easier to find and easier to reference on Wikipedia. I'm doing my best to get more episodes out in twenty thirteen and on behalf of all of us here at monster Talk. We appreciate your devotion and your patience. Do you want to talk with other monster Talk listeners and have fun discussions about monsters and monster news, You should join our Facebook group. Either search for us on Facebook or use the link at monster talk dot org. We'd love to chat. You can also find our contact information and social media links there. Monster Talk theme song is by Pete Stealing Monkeys.
Speaker 2: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, then subscribe to e Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Welcome to munster Talk. The science cheese show about cheese.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna do the scary voice wah,