Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to game Breaking News with me Jeff Grub, your host from GiantBomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're going to be talking about PlayStation five getting another price increase. We'll try to make it a good one for you. It will be because Emma Fife is on the show. Emma, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm just great, Grub. I lost my mind over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Oh but I did go to a.
Speaker 2: Bernie Sanders and AOC fighting the Oligarchy rally Los Angeles, which was their biggest one yet, thirty six thousand people. All those numbers, and that might only be counting the people that actually were like in the perimeter, because there were a bunch of people that were on the outside as well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was rad.
Speaker 2: Joan Bias played and so like I truly felt like I was at a rally from the seventies in an amazing way. Yes, you're right, liberal games media strikes again, that's me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but no, it was. It was awesome, and uh yeah it was it just like it was.
Speaker 2: It was so like chill like again, like people were obviously amped up, but like the vibes were very like peaceful and we're gonna yeah again. It was like very seventies, like give piece a chance, everybody singing. Imagine like this is truly what happened over the weekend. So that was pretty amazing. Yeah, and then Bernie went to Coachella, so that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my understanding. Those you've got obsessed with something though. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I became a bit of a PopMart collector over the weekend.
Speaker 4: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 2: So PopMart is this, It's just a store that sells cute licensed stuff. So they have like a really cute line of DC Justice League figures. They have a line that they did with like powerpuff Girls. Again, it's like a lot of licensed things, but similar to a Sanrio, except that they didn't create these characters. They also have some just kind of mascot characters. They're not from anything else, person say, or they're from like I don't know, a like Chinese artist put them in a book kind of thing, and uh yeah, so I became irrevocably of Okay, so somebody in chat knows what I'm talking about, because there's I can't afford the Giant Chopper, and specifically it is the Giant Chopper.
Speaker 3: That is Labooboo, which is the creature that has blown up.
Speaker 2: The girls are going wild for Labooboo right now, Okay, and I say girls is an all encompassing term. That's so I spent my entire Friday trying to get No.
Speaker 1: I didn't entire Friday because I was working, Okay.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this is Labuoboo, and yeah from Dynasty Warriors.
Speaker 3: Okay, different than Lubu from Dynasty Warriors.
Speaker 2: This is la Booboo and she is a little elf creature based on Nordic mythology by a uh Chinese artist. I'm blanking on the first name, but Loung is his last name. And the girl she is, she is the moment everyone is trying to get one of these. Uh.
Speaker 3: They sell out immediately.
Speaker 2: On Poshmark Poshmark, I mean they're on Poshmark, Tube, Pop, No Climax and Chat. I see you asking about Taykoko, and I've become completely obsessed with Tychoko. I literally bought a lanyard during a Pop Mart TikTok live stream last night. I bought some Blindebox lanyards that are in the Labuobu series because one of them is Tychoko.
Speaker 3: So Tychoko is also from the.
Speaker 2: Monsters series, and Taykoko is a little skeleton and it's like Labooboo's little boyfriend who she's constantly tormenting.
Speaker 3: It's bad, I've gone crazy.
Speaker 4: It's you know, it's like a a beanie baby sort of thing.
Speaker 3: It's totally a beautye baby thing all over again.
Speaker 2: Like that's the thing is that, like I want to get more, but I want to like show up at a pop mart vending machine which they call roboshops at the exact right time to just finally to just like find one. You know what it is though, It's like there's something fun about it because there is the like, I don't know, it's the like physical aspect of it and the fact that you can maybe come across them in the wild because it is that like beanie baby thing, and in a world where.
Speaker 3: So much is where so much is digital, this feels, I don't know, this feels kind of fun.
Speaker 2: I got a Yes, I got a Pucky also, So this is Pucky also from their line. Pucky is like a little baby character, but this is Pucky in a cat costume.
Speaker 3: And I got this from the Robust shop. So, okay, I've lost it.
Speaker 1: I've totally lost it, but you caught me up because I definitely have seen some of these little fellows on my timelines here or there, and I just like was scrolling past it. Now when I see it, La Boo Boo, Is that the character's name?
Speaker 3: Boo Boo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I'm seeing is a future uh uh a costume for Mike Manatti.
Speaker 4: Clearly they have the same exact.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, La Boo boo, this this little elf girl and Mike Manatti basically the same person.
Speaker 3: That's yes, little mischievous because you know.
Speaker 4: Cause and mischief do the Laboo bo does?
Speaker 1: They do? They ever, like dress up as like one of the licenses that they're doing stuff.
Speaker 3: With or what they haven't officially sold that.
Speaker 2: However, they do make clothes for Laboo bo so you know, we're just waiting for a uh you know, well, they do like figures.
Speaker 3: So for example, there's this whole Labooboo.
Speaker 2: Figure one piece line, which is what we were also talking about in chat with the Giant Tony Tony Chopper. Uh. But they you know have ones where it's like oh but obviously like Frankie is Taykoko, but everybody else is just like La Boo boo in different costumes.
Speaker 3: It's wild.
Speaker 4: I'm just what I'm learning.
Speaker 1: I got to keep this. I got to keep this away from my kids. That's the most important thing that I'm taking away from this conversation. Let's explain what we do here most weekdays. I Jeff Grubb will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking jan did do you have?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, there you see everybody.
Speaker 1: I think, okay, I think that should pop up here on the thing here in a second, there you go, everybody. There's a little boo boo.
Speaker 3: Here's a boot it.
Speaker 1: All right? Uh yeah, I love that. Okay, you haven't started Blueprints. I thought you mentioned Blueprints.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 3: I mentioned that my husband is playing.
Speaker 2: I had intended to start Blueprints this weekend, but then I lost my mind.
Speaker 3: But I'm back now.
Speaker 2: I'm like back to my sanity. Uh and Blueprints it's going to get started today. But I know that Gabe is loving it. He started it and he was basically saying, oh, yeah, this is really interesting.
Speaker 3: This is fun. I'm not totally sure what the.
Speaker 2: Game play is yet, but the deeper he's gotten into it, the more he's been enthusiastic about it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I'm Mike.
Speaker 1: Wait, my notes have fully gotten crazy now taking I was not taking many notes for a very long time. Forty hours. I had a few screenshots, and now I'm basically studying for an exam. That's basically what I'm doing now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, fun stuff. All right, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: PS five prices have increased in some regions, but not the United States. This is from Georgiaang at game Spot. Let's just read what's happening first. Sony has a notes that it has raised prices for the digital and standard editions of the PS five console and select regions, but not in the United States. However, Sony has also decreased the price of the PS five disc drive attachment, which I bet it doesn't sell a ton of anyhow, The price changes are now in effect. In a statement, Sony said it was a tough decision to raise prices and it's not the first time. Sony first race prices back in twenty twenty two, with a backdrop of a challenging economic environment, including high inflation and fluctuating exchange rates. Sony Interactive Entertainment has made the tough decision to raise the recommended retail price of the PlayStation five console and select markets in Europe, Middle East Africa, as well as Australia and New Zealand. Here is how the price is breakdown. In Europe, the PS five Digital edition will go from four hundred and fifty euros up to five hundred euros. The standard version that comes with a disk drive, like the add on that's included that that's not going up in price at all in Europe, but the disk drive will go down from one hundred and twenty euros to eighty euros. In the UK, the digital edition is going up by forty pounds, from three hundred and ninety pounds to four hundred and thirty pounds. In Australia, the digital edition is going up seventy Australian dollars. The PS five standard with the disk drive is actually going up in Australia, but only by thirty dollars. And in New Zealand the digital edition is going up by sixty New Zealand dollars. And then the standard edition with the this dribe is increasing by fifty as well, so that means that will now be nine hundred and fifty New Zealand dollars. It is. You know, I think the initial reaction I had here was, Okay, what is what is going on? Why is it everywhere except for the United States? The United States is certainly one of the factors here in terms of the tariffs, and not the tariffs obviously aren't aren't being applied to these other countries. That's not what's happening, but it has. The tariffs have destabilized the global economy. And when they talk about you know, here's Daniel maud A hue Ga X on Twitter. I mean, I think he said it last night. As soon as I saw this, I'm like, yeah, he says, everyone is about to find out that the PS five price won't just increase because of tariffs. The knock on effect in terms of inflation, exchange rates, and macro trends are also impacting global prices. Even if one region is impacted, Sony may raise prices everywhere to offset losses. You know, things have become so unmoored from a stabilized global economy that these companies are like probably looking around, be like, we got to make as much money now as we can because we don't know what's going to happen. In one two years, things could be a lot worse. And they do have a guaranteed win here pretty soon, Emma. Right with grand theft Auto six, that's I think that's really the foundational thing here is Grand theft out of six is going to come there. They know there's been a lot of people waiting on the sideline. They're going to hit those people where it hurts, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw your post about that yesterday and I yeah, that to me, that is a no brainer. Again, it's like we're looking at a destabilized global economy. Uh, as far as the US goes, and them not increasing prices here, I don't think that that's set in stone, you.
Speaker 4: Know, that's that's that's gonna happen, yep.
Speaker 3: For now.
Speaker 2: But they're they're basically increasing the prices in markets wherein they know what the sort of taxation, tariff, import fees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they know better what's happening in these countries, No.
Speaker 3: Better, what's happening exactly right now?
Speaker 2: You know, we're just kind of I feel like this is happening kind of across the board in terms of commerce in the US. Is there's a lot of things that you know, we're already set at a certain price because they've been in the US market for a long time and they're just.
Speaker 3: Riding it out right now until.
Speaker 2: They can make a decision. You know, the reason that we're unable to order Nintendo Switch tos is because they're not in the market yet, so they don't know what to set the market price at. All of these other things were already set at a certain market price, and they just don't know what they need to set the updated market price at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're right, they're anchored to their previous price, so they have to work from there. Well, Nintendo did announce a price right before those tariffs happened, so they have a little bit of anchor. But they probably feel like they can make some moves before they actually get that they launched, which is why they have not announced what's happened with pre orders yet, although that could literally happen at any second. Ema, we will have to kind of keep our eyes open. But yeah, I think that you're right. The play the PlayStation five price increase will come to the United States here pretty soon. They are just waiting for the dust to settle, and it's honestly, it just gets kicked up and gets kicked in our eyes every time it feels like things might start to calm down. So you know, we are here on Monday recording the show over the weekend or late on Friday, I think there was the announcement from someone. I think it was the Customs and Border Patrol, the organization that was like, hey, there will be an exemption on electronics and computers from China and everywhere will be exempt from these tariffs. So for one thing, when that was when that was announced, Emma, that should just put to the lie just how much this is about bringing us manufacturing here. Because if you make something in China, it was gonna have zero percent tariffs, but if you make it here and import the processor that you need, it would be one hundred and forty five percent tariffs. So clearly we knew all along. Obviously we know that's never he doesn't care about anyone else. He doesn't care about us manufacturing, doesn't care about any of that. We don't have to pretend that he does. But now it's just so blatantly obvious that that was a lie, and we can just move on from that. But that that okay, computers, cell phones, you know, smartphones, tablets, all these things are going to be exempt.
Speaker 4: What about consoles?
Speaker 1: What about Well, we'll hang on, we'll wait and see, and then it's like we get to later in the weekend and okay, first we hear maybe those tariffs are temporary as well. That was Lutnik was on Fox News saying that apparently that pissed off a bunch of people in the White House. So they're still fighting amongst themselves about how they're going to do this. Trump is now also saying that they're going to be temporary. He's also saying that there's no such thing as any exemptions. Even though there's this exemption, does clarity exist. They've clarified the exemption. It does not include consoles. So the switch to PlayStation five are still going to be subject to all of these insane tariffs ten percent from Vietnam, Cambodia, and one hundred and forty five percent or whatever it's at now for China. So the dust is just simply not it's not even begun to settle. It whirling around.
Speaker 2: That's exactly I was gonna say. It's swirling around. We're in a we're in a dust storm. Still uh, maybe it's not completely blinding us, but it's still it's still in one of those little whirlwinds.
Speaker 1: I want to look away. That's I know that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's you know, I think that the solution here is that, yeah, Trump just needs to become a hardcore gamer and then he'll exempt consoles.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's that's the solution.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's really what it is. Like, let's let's be completely honest. Is he's like, oh, people need cell.
Speaker 2: Phones, so like, but he doesn't see consoles as like a thing that people need.
Speaker 1: And then I mean I think, you know, but you know, Apple donated a million dollars to his his you know, non election campaign or whatever like when he was brought into office, and a bunch of other companies like that did, and I'm sure that they are using that leverage they got from giving money to get an audience with him to get him to agree to come over with these exemptions. Even they can't get him to commit to him long term, which is you know, apparently what was happening inside the White House on Friday. So we need to start stabilizing things again. Let's commit to long term exemptions. Let's commit to just making decisions on all these things and just go out there and tell the market what they want to hear in a lot of ways. And he cannot get to Monday with that. He cannot make it past the weekend without throwing a king, throwing you know, wrench into the works and messing things up again. So if I am one of these companies having to decide the price of what my product is going to be, especially if I've already been selling it at a certain price for several years now, I'm just waiting a little bit longer until I get at any information, not all the information that's going to be impossible in this environment, but any information. And again, they can't wait forever because GTA six is coming, and they do want to raise the price before that because they have to have wins now, because the future is more uncertain than it's ever been. I mean, I saw the you know, the University of Michigan does a consumer sentiment index. Em it's done it since the late seventies. I think it is at its lowest point ever. The confidence that the American consumer has in the American economy and in their own future is at the lowest point it has ever been. That includes two thousand and eight, that includes COVID, that includes you know, gas shortages in the late seventies. Like it is really bad. So like that, like that that should be an indicator that people are feeling super queasy, and of course they should be.
Speaker 4: Look around.
Speaker 1: The news is terrible. But if I'm a company trying to be like, Okay, well maybe we can like you know, have a good year this year and next year we'll have our some big games and they'll really hit dance like now you've got to make money now and hope you can then survive whatever happens next. It's rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, it was like even on I saw people in chat talking about it earlier the well last week tonight. Last night, John Oliver did a whole you know, the main segment was on tariffs, and one of the big points that.
Speaker 3: They were bringing home about it was that.
Speaker 2: The confidence in the US in terms of being an economic partner in participating in the global economy, it's it's gone, like.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I mean because I mean, like if we just like put it in playing terms of what the original tariffs were going to do, they were going to result in the deaths of thousands of people, if not more than that, in places like Cambodia and via places that are just kind of getting like especially Cambodia that is really just sort of getting its manufacturing up and running. They've assembled their entire economy to work with the United States and make stuff for us that will buy. And this has been very good for both countries. It's obviously going to always be an imbalance and we always actually benefit more than these countries we buy stuff for. But that's sort of the evil we've accepted to be. Like, well, slowly, over time, their lives will improve. We've even seen this with China and all this stuff, and then to pull the rug out from underneath them would have just absolutely killed thousands of people. And that was his idea. That was the whole thing, is I'm gonna hurt these people because the number that says USA on this side is lower than this country over here, like Cambodi's got a higher numbers. That drives me insane. It's like, oh my god, people don't deserve to die because you don't understand what you're looking at, So how can anyone trust us? Yeah, it's you just can't. So it is going to be a messy situation that will not just be unraveled when he changes his mind or gets distracted by something else. It has permanently wrought damage on the trust of this country. So back to PS five price increase. Yeah, I'm with you. It'll probably go to the United States here pretty soon. I think the switch to probably still will see something or very well could Xbox should go up in price. But everything's going to go up in price now. Inflation's going to come roaring back.
Speaker 3: It's going to come roaring back, as you say though, for the world.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, everyone's going to pay the price of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone is going to pay the price.
Speaker 1: Yep. You know, if things were starting to calm down with inflation, they were starting to calm down with exchange rates a little bit, they were, they were bounced around for other reasons. But now all this stuff has completely thrown that stuff into chaos again. And so if you're Sony looking around like, okay, we have to do this now because we can get away with it now, and of course that's always how it goes.
Speaker 4: These companies do what they can get away with.
Speaker 1: Worth pointing out. I guess for now, the PS five Digital Edition in most of these countries now is actually more expensive or the same price as the switch to. The switch to got announced and was looking kind of rough in comparison because it was more expensive than a PS five Digital edition. Well now the PS five Digital Edition is is more expensive, and then like even with the Mario Kart World Bundle, that's the same price as the digital edition now, so it's like, Okay, Nintendo maybe benefits a little bit, but I think people already feel like that's expensive and they're having a hard time just to find that and PS five being you know, getting a price increase won't necessarily make them feel better, all right, So yeah, we talked about this. Unlike smartphones, Nintendo switch to and other video game consoles won't be exempt from Trump tariffs. This is from Jordan Miller at VGC. US President Donald Trump has announced that smartphones, computers, and other devices will be exempt from his tariffs, but video game consoles liked a nintend switch to, will not, and a notice published over the weekend US Customs and Border Patrols said that specific goods would be exempt from Trump's ten percent global tariffs on most countries and his Chinese import tax which is set to set to send tech prices skyrocketing due to the large number of components manufactured in China and the assembly of products themselves. It was estimated that new smartphones laptops would increase in price by hundreds of dollars, but the new exemptions have lessened the potential impact of these products. I you know, once again, you know, we're kind of just gonna have to wait and see what happens with all this. But I think this is just a perfect example of how unclear messaging makes everything so much worse. I mean, people were messaging me all weekend or tagging me on social media saying, hey, look is this good news? Are the consoles going to be exempt? It's like, I don't know, We'll just where it's gonna wait and we're gonna find out more. And I was expecting the worst, and here we are. What do you think Nintendo does next? Do you think that they can just come out and start selling it at four hundred and fifty dollars in five hundred with Mario Kartworld, keep it at a similar price, try to get all the systems from Vietnam that they can, and reintroduce pre orders here this week or are we still waiting for a while.
Speaker 2: You know, I think that that is likely what they will attempt.
Speaker 1: To do.
Speaker 2: Because you know, obviously again it's like we have all the stories about the stock that's coming from Vietnam, where there's going to be a lesser teris it. I don't know, Yeah, I mean, ultimately Nintendo wants to be able to move product in the US. It is a giant market, and so if they can basically put aside a certain amount of stock of the console that they can then pre order to the US, so they know that they can solid at that price point and they're not going to take a loss on it because it was you know, manufactured within this exemption period. Yeah, I mean I think that that is likely what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: I just think that in.
Speaker 2: Terms of those pre orders coming up, uh, it's going to be a limited stock, so it's going to be extremely difficult to get one of those consoles and then you know, then then you know, reassess for release.
Speaker 1: Yep. I think I think that they'll probably right have to just make a move here pretty soon, try to try to like I don't know, hope against hope that Yeah, that they see a stabilization here and that things kind of just revert back to what they were because you said, I, well, we tried a bunch of stuff, and now you know, I got all the deals I wanted, so we're going back and I won. Hey, everybody, aren't you sick of winning already? I think he could do that move, and I think they're hoping for that, but they just don't know. So maybe they just pull the trigger on pre orders as is right now, and then if you know, tariffs on Vietnam go back up like they're set to do after that ninety day pause, they will then have to raise prices at that point. But in the meantime, I think they're like, let's just go with it, because we do. They do have quite a few switch tos in America right now. They are shipping a lot from Vietnam at a ten percent tariff, so they'll lose money on those, but I think they're ready to do that, and then you know, from from there, I think they will just have to be more ready and more on their toes and ready to respond depending on what happens next. And that's yeah, that's rough stuff, all right. Let's take a quick break. When we come back, we'll talk about the other news, including Marathon getting its gameplay reveal and how everyone's feeling about that. We'll talk about that right after this. All right, let's get back into it. Me and Emma are still talking about the news, including Marathon gameplay revealed. Marathon is a new extraction shooter from Bungie, launching on September twenty third, and alpha signups are open now. Bunchie showed off gameplay over the weekend on Saturday, and it looks promising. The game putrid a new unique art style and fast paced skill based combat, but it's high difficulty and gear loss upon death may deter casual players. The game will be a premium product with seasonal content updates including new weapons, mods, runners, and cosmetics.
Speaker 4: Concerns remain about the game's price.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that more in a second, but first potential for mainstream success is a question mark as well because of Bunchie's history with live service games and PvP balancing. And this game is very much about you know. It's pvpve it's an extraction shooter. You go into the world with a team of three. It's you know, and I think it's six three player teams. You're all going after loot and trying to get as much as you can, and the players that could survive and actually extract get to keep to their stuff, cash that in or do whatever they're going to do with it, and then use those resources to go into the next you know, it's a compound interest game. We have a lot of compound compound interest games where it's like, oh, I've had some success, and now I can use that success to have even more success in the next round. I am interested in this, but I also mostly interested because I think Bungie still makes the best feeling shooters, So I want to play their new shooter and we'll see if extraction can work for me.
Speaker 4: I really have not you know, this is a genre I've not really touched much.
Speaker 1: And it's because it doesn't sound appealing to me, Emma. But I bet if I get in there with a crew of people, and you know, I'm playing it with some friends every Friday night or something like that, I bet I would be into it.
Speaker 4: These games are very popular, But how are you feeling about it?
Speaker 1: What do you think the chances for success for marathon are standing at right now?
Speaker 2: So looking at it again, it is not my kind of game. It's not my genre. Good luck to them.
Speaker 3: It looks cool. I like the art style, so at least that.
Speaker 2: Is putting you in a place where it just doesn't look like a you know, black and brown and tan, low color grading call of duty, so that at least gives it, in my mind, a chance to attract attention and have people decide, oh, okay, we're gonna try this game out.
Speaker 3: However, I do think that it is a.
Speaker 2: It's a mistake in this day and age to have a high level of difficulty.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying like, oh, we should make games easy so everybody can play. That's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: What I mean is that there needs to be adaptability so that you can attract more casual players, because I feel like that is something that Bungee has even struggled with in the past in terms of having these big launches, because their games look cool and they feel good to play, so people show up, but then they end up in a position wherein oh the now, only a hardcore collection of people pick around for it. And again I'm not like, I'm not trying to say you need to make this game for everyone. I just think that there needs to be some level of being able to retain players who are interested and get into it, but you don't want them to get to a level where it's more frustration than fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I am trying to, like look at the Steam concurrent players right now, because I agree with everything you're saying that there are so many barriers to me seeing the enjoyment in an extraction shooter. Now, I am someone who has often enjoyed pushing through barriers or having a game that pushes against me and forces me to play in new ways.
Speaker 4: So I don't think that's inherently a problem.
Speaker 1: But you know, I think when we throw out a lot of stuff like the Eldering night Rain is a multiplayer focused game, and even that other one that they're doing, the dust Bloods, that's multiplayer focused, and people are like, well, that's a mistake, and it's like, well, you know, multiplayer games are the most played games. They just are. They just are by far the most played games. Look. I mean you can look at Steam. Multiplayer games always have more players than a traditional game, and that's not just like you know, oh, concurrence, but definitely concurrence also they sell better. And now that has gone up and down and fluctuated over the years, but traditionally it's been very true that multiplayer games tend to sell better. So there's an audience out there for multiplayer games, and it's maybe not the audience that always tunes into this show. It's definitely not the kind of thing. I'm not catering to that audience. There are people who do, so it's not the first thing I think of, But I'm like, okay, well, then what about extraction shooters specifically? And I'm like, you know, I don't is Escape from Tarkoff even on Steam.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it is. I don't think it is.
Speaker 1: I don't think it is. I don't think it is. So that's not going to show up on the most play games, but that's sort of the one that sort of dominates that genre. Still. There's also you know, the Hunt Showdown, you know that is on Steam, but that doesn't have like one hundred thousand concurrens or something like that. I'm gonna find to hear Hunt Showdown eighteen ninety six, you know, it tops out at about twenty five thousand concurrent players, which is you know, far away from the top fifty, let alone the top the top ten. So it's like, you know, okay, a battlefield game coming out and being not having a single player campaign, Okay, that makes sense because you don't Those games have get to get hundreds of thousands of concurrent players sometimes and they can kind of push through any of these things where it's like, oh that's niche or whatever, it's not something I want to play. It's like, well, there are a lot of people who do want to play it. I don't think extraction has had that moment yet where where it's like it's had It's Fortnite or it's Call of Duty or it's Halo to sort of bring it to everybody. Now, Marathon could be that, And if it is, I do think there's obviously something to this style of play. Developers seem to like it a lot. I think that's why they keep making Extraction modes. But in this moment, it's just so much easier to see all the ways this won't work than how it will. But of course I think, Emma, if it is fun to shoot things in Marathon because it's a bungee game, I think that's going to go a very long way to getting it over the top, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: I guess also that it's a lot of discussing happening in chat right now. Is the reality that this is not a free to play and obviously we saw how well that went with Concord.
Speaker 3: Not the same.
Speaker 2: Kind of game at its core, per se, except that they're both shooting mcshoot shoots.
Speaker 3: So I guess I.
Speaker 2: Do wonder if it is going to attract enough attention while asking people to pay money to play it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, I mean that's the other conversation here. Marathon won't be full price. A bunch of says it will be a quote premium title, so it's not going to be free to play. This is from Evan Campbell at GameSpot. Even after a reveal showcase over the weekend, there was confusion about one crucial aspect regarding Marathon, the game's price point. Developer Bungie has clarified that the Extraction Shooter won't be a quote full price title. However, the entry the entry cost still hasn't been detailed, with that info apparently arriving in the summer. Originally, GameSpot's Marathon preview noted that the game would be full price. Since Bungie has referred to the shooter as a premium title on Twitter, Warrior sixty four shared those details before the official Marathon account stepped in to spell out the current pricing situation for Marathon. Yes, it's described as a premium experience, but it won't carry a premium price tag. Think seventy dollars what the entry costs will ultimately be for the game. We'll have to wait for a few months though, So it's coming out in September. I think, you know, at one point it did it leaked or maybe it was speculator, or maybe it showed up on a store a forty dollars price tag, and I just think everyone can't help but go like Concord, right.
Speaker 4: And yeah, it's definitely like that is.
Speaker 1: The bad taste that's still in Sony's mouth for sure. The owners of Bungee got in a lot of people's mouths. And I think if we look around at the market, if you are one of these people making one of these games, Emma, like even a battlefield, yeah, you gotta be like, maybe we got to find a way to get this free to play. I guess so hard to compete with Fortnite so hard to compete with so many these other games that are you're free or so old that everyone just already has them in their stands.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean.
Speaker 3: It's like, how do you make the Fortnite model work in other games?
Speaker 2: Because I have a bunch of friends who are deeply into Fortnite, they're also deeply into purchasing Fortnite skins. Yes, so it's finding ways to make those in game transactions feel worth.
Speaker 3: It is kind of the key to.
Speaker 2: Finding the way to make your premium game free to play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, you know, and I don't have experience with extraction. Christian I know in chat who I know loves Extraction Shooter says he's never played a free to play extraction shooter that has worked. I can imagine that, like balancing the in game economy, you know, separate from your real world spending is crucial to making that feel fun. That's the stuff that does appeal to me, like risk reward, being in the moment being like I have a lot of stuff. Should I just be prioritizing surviving now? Or I see a big shiny thing over there, I want to go get that as soon as you tell me, well, yeah, you can go get that, but someone on the other side of that hill it's probably waiting for you, and they probably spend one hundred dollars to get stuff. You know, obviously it doesn't have to be paid to win, but if if they like look cooler to me. And that's one of the things I'm getting out of out of like doing all this work and trying to extract. That can also poison the well of feeling good about the extraction loops.
Speaker 4: So it's got to be difficult to make this make sense.
Speaker 1: Gotcha game, gotcha game, Just wi fus, that's always the answer. We'll see. I think it looks cool and I'm gonna try it. I want an extraction shooter. I want to like have an experience with one. I think I'll just save it for this one. This will be the one I actually go in with. All right, let's update on Oblivion and the shadow drop. Last week, I think it was last week on this show, am I.
Speaker 3: We were talking about it.
Speaker 1: We were talking about it, like, yeah, yeah, it should shadow drop at any moment, you know. I'll give people a week now, the week of April twenty first, So basically, the last week of this month, next week, essentially, so that it should shadow drop then, which I think, you know, other people have said, but I've gotten separate confirmation that that's going to be the case. So shadow drop last week of the month. I'm man, I am. I'm getting excited for this one, although I imagine I'll still be playing Blueprints by then. I'm like, I'm going to spend the rest of this month, the rest of this month playing Blueprints, and then hopefully I can wrap it up and be ready for Oblivion. We'll see.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I'm excited about this.
Speaker 1: We still, I mean, they have still not like announced any events, right for Microsoft. They announced something for for June, for the Summer Game Fest.
Speaker 4: Yes, but I don't know, I don't know where this show is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe too that basically like what what Microsoft Xbox was saying for Summer Game Fest was that they were only doing the press conference. And yeah, but still, but that that'll be after Okabe drops.
Speaker 1: Yes, that'll be long after Oblivion drops.
Speaker 4: That's right, So yeah, we'll see. This will have to be something else.
Speaker 1: I guess people have heard maybe there's an Xbox event happening on the twenty third I just haven't seen that anywhere, so I don't know. But yeah, hey, next week, let's get let's get down. I'm ready to go back to oblivion. Uh. Mafia the Old Country release date revealed on Steam. This is from Insider Gaming. The release date for Mafia the Old Old Country has seemingly been revealed in a blog post published on Steam a short while ago. It looks as though the game will be released on August eighth, twenty twenty five. Previously, the game only had a window of twenty twenty five, so this narrows it down. Mafia the Old Country was first teased in August at Gamescom's Opening Night Live ceremony. They fuller trailer dropping in December twenty twenty four at the Game Awards. Take two could have a stacked released release slate lineup now with Mafia the Old Country, Orderlance four, which I think is actually coming up the same day as Marathon, which is a little weird, and GTA six all dropping within mere months of each other. Yeah, you ever spend any time with the Mafia games? I tried the first couple and just never could get into them.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I was like, is this like The Godfather?
Speaker 1: The game Yeah, it is like Godfather the game, which is action not that bad. You know, it's an open world crime game. They try to add a little different the flavor on top to be a GTA without being GTA, And you know, I think they're all right, but they've never been great, I think, and I've always wanted them to be like kind of just get up that next level.
Speaker 4: I hope this one does it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is one that they I think they kind of made in response to In this they being Hangar thirteen the studio in response to their last game getting canceled several years ago during the pandemic. They were working on like a shooter with like magical powers and stuff like that. And I think that we're gonna scrap that go back to Mafia, and here we are. It feels like kind of a quick turnaround. But I have no idea what development. Maybe they were working on this in conjunction with that and it had been in the works for years and now they're ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or they just turned that into this and in this Mafia you will be able to do wizard spells.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm down there.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Warlock Mafia. Yeah, let's actually just it would be a shame if I were to finstrate you magically through this window. Yes, yep, I would. I would definitely be excited about that. Yeah. Take two's lineup does look pretty good. They are if they have Mafia, Borderlands four. Yes, Borderlands four and GTA six really all dropping within months, although I continue to think it's like, well, you know, they have those other two games, so if they feel like they have to delay GTA six, they won't hesitate. But I don't know. It feels like they're gonna have all this and it's gonna be a big year for them, So we'll see. Are you a Borderlands person as well at all? Have you ever played a Borderlands because I've only played the first one and I'm like kind of in the mood for this one.
Speaker 2: Played Tails from the Borderlands, Oh like telltale thing.
Speaker 1: It's honestly probably the best one. So yeah, right totally and final check GT six. I mean, I know we were just talking about for the PlayStation price increased thing, but I'm leaning more toward it coming out.
Speaker 2: This year me too, now I think Halladay no, yeah.
Speaker 1: Drop November December.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they would give themselves that amount of runway I think what they would love is to drop it in the summer, but they're going to give themselves as much leeway as they can whilst still dropping at a big season. So I think it's going to be the hottest gift of.
Speaker 3: The twenty twenty five holiday season.
Speaker 1: Yeap. Yeah. And it's like, you know, we're not so close that they have to say something soon, but some the summer announcement season will be here soon, and I hope that they up at that point they just straight up say a date, but at least like a month, just say a month, that'd be nice.
Speaker 2: I just got so excited thinking that maybe there would be something around GT sex at Summer Game FESTI this year.
Speaker 4: I got, Yeah, it's not impossible.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.
Speaker 1: I don't think they would be at Kiwi's thing, but I think they would. Maybe they could run something in conjunction off to the side at a hotel room or whatever. That's definitely something that they might do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they could just come bring GT six to.
Speaker 2: Us, Yeah, play it.
Speaker 1: It's rock stars, So they probably be like, no, you come to us, but yeah, that's that's true. All right, let's see here, and then a new prototype game is in the works. A playtester claims, we'll see. I don't know if I believe this one, but let's read the rumor. This is from Insider Gaming as well. A new prototype game is reportedly in development. And that's not like prototype is in an unfinished idea. Prototype is in that franchise that was like the Monster Superhero open world action game from.
Speaker 3: The X sixty.
Speaker 1: According to a user on Reddit by the name of big B, they were given details about a new game in the series as part of a recent focus group session. The user claims that the game will see Alex Mercer return as its protagonists. We all who can forget Alex Mercer? Yeah, just all the kids clamoring for the return of Alex Mercer. Gameplay will reportedly feature shape shifting and transforming into other people in order to infiltrate areas. Lastly, it will be based in New York City. Insider Gaming reached out to big B regarding these claims and was told the following It was a UGUB survey which asked me to sign an NDA and confirm that I will not disclose the contents, which is exactly what they're doing here. It then confirmed a series of features that it could a series of features that upcoming games will include, and how popular this was with me percentage wise. It was not a play test, but did specify that these features were already planned as part of upcoming games. Okay, I mean yeah, but I don't think there's any reason to assume that, or to like just take the survey at its word that say, hey, imagine a prototype game that's using these features, that's really coming and it's going to have these features. I mean, they could just be prototype, could be a stand in, they could be same prototype when they actually mean something else totally.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it's just a survey, it's like Sony surveying there on and saying.
Speaker 3: What do you like about the switch too?
Speaker 2: You know, it's like, yes, Sony's not gonna make the switch too, but they're gonna make their own handheld.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It could be that they're, oh making something in the vein of a proto type but it's not necessarily another proto type game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it looks like it was relatively well reviewed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're all right, they're all right, they're okay games. Yeah, but I just it doesn't make it like a huge amount of sense to me, because it's like these feel like the kinds of games that don't get made anymore. They are a certain level of of like you know, B tier in terms of attention getting that that feels like the kinds of things that publishers are afraid to make these days. And so it's like, really, Prototype is the one that's coming back, Huh, There's like there feels like there's a lot of games that would come back before that that would make a lot more sense. And like who's even making this? I think the studio that was responsible for the Prototype games isn't a going concern anymore. So does someone just really like who even owns the property? I don't know, but it just like love it so much, like we got to get more of this. This is the key. I just don't see how this ends up really happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looking, I'm just I'm trying to look into basically, like how well these games did, and Prototype two quickly comes up with information that like, even though it did perform well in its release months, it was too large of an investment for them to have made any significant returns on it. Apparently, So yeah, I'm with you, Like I guarantee you that there are people who are prototype.
Speaker 3: Freaks out there.
Speaker 2: There's there's people who love every single game, but this is not a game that I been here as like, oh you know this is kind of like a cult classic.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: It was like so when the chat said a little bit ago, it was that game you beat after renting for Blockbuster and you return it and you're like that was fun and you don't really ever think about it all that much again, like it's maybe it's a maybe a little bit better than that. It's a little bit it's not completely forgettable, but it was pretty generic and and yeah, so it just it just feels extremely weird. But apparently it's it's Activision, so Microsoft owns it, right, and they owned a lot of IP so I think the same thing still stands of Okay, you're gonna get a team together because that original team isn't there. They're not like waiting around begging to do more, to do more prototype, so they're like you have to be like, we have this IP, we got to go find a team to make a game based on this IP. What what I could see happen is like a prototype collection or HD re release from a little like an external team that comes in and say, hey, we can, like, you know, upres some of your games and re release them. But I bet that those games are already backward compatible and running just fine. So I don't know if there's even that much demand for.
Speaker 4: That even so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just I'm not buying this one. I think that's where I'm putting my money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this seems unlikely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's this was the spiritual successor to Hawk Ultimate Destruction. Let's get a new one of those first. That would be great. That's what I really want.
Speaker 2: That's a licensed character with a built in audience, So that seems way more likely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if they just call it Haulk Ultimate Destruction two, like a sequel to that Xbox and GameCube game, I would be like, that's got a built in audience too, of old man like those games, all right. Zelda's Nintendo Switch two port finally lets you repair equipment as long as you use the mobile app. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. Nintendo Switch tows the Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild and Tiers of the Kingdom ports look set to fix fix Andy, I Got a Problem with You, one of the two games most divisive features via its mobile app connectivity. As part of its big Switch to reveal earlier this month, Nintendo announced that Tears of the Kingdom and Breadth of the Wild will both get switched to additions, as well as a new app called zelden Notes, which.
Speaker 3: Will be part of nin app That's Right.
Speaker 1: The app will allow players to navigate and leave notes on an interactive game map, share creations and tiers of the Kingdom, unlock achievements, and more. The zelden Notes app also allows switch to players to roll a random daily bonus, which can be stored and used in game. This includes generic items like meals and health boots boosts, but as spotted by Zeltic, one of the rewards is an equipment repair. This will repair any items that have decayed or been used to the point where they're about to break, so you can actually repair them. And to this, I say, Nintendo or cowards, and they should have never done this. Stick to your guns. I just I'm disappointed in them. Yeah yeah, but it's kind of a funny way to bring repairing into the into Zelda. Though in the app.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and very Nintendo to be like you need to also integrate with our other online thing even though we just learned what the internet is thirty days ago. Uh yeah, okay, but my question is how does the repair happen?
Speaker 3: Like, how do how do repair? Do you have to?
Speaker 2: Is this where I spend my Nintendo Gold coins for buying games.
Speaker 1: In the shop, like you know, uh huh, it's it seems like, yeah, you just roll, like you'll open those Zelda Notes app get a random thing each day, and then you just I think probably there's probably you know how when.
Speaker 4: You bring in a mebo into Zelda where it's like one.
Speaker 1: Of the powers I wonder for, it'll be like that, like now one of the powers will be like the zelden notes interaction. So we're ready for you do the Zelda notes thing. Maybe you've an NFC the phone to your switch to I don't know, I'm kind of guessing at this point. Obviously it'll be linked to your phone's in character, but you know, they'll have some solution. I think it's probably gonna be it's probably gonna feel cheap and janky because it's uh and those are always kind of terrible for this, you know, smart glass generation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that again, your your weapons.
Speaker 3: It would be one thing if.
Speaker 2: One of the points of the game was weapon scarcity, but that's simply not a thing.
Speaker 1: No, oh no, it's just like it's just like Halo. You run out of bullets in your gun, you drop your gun, you pick up another gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's uh, and it's meant to kind of keep you engaged with the combat and the environment, and it's good. Weapon degradation is actually good. Yeah, but again everyone feels that way. This is not going to solve their issues with that. So it's no, it's not, No.
Speaker 3: This is annoying.
Speaker 2: If they really cared about weapon degradation and not creating some little integration for their new Zelda Notes app, they would just make it an option in the game to switch weapon degradation off.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, totally. It's it's definitely part of the balance and part of the the loop. And so yeah, they're gonna they're gonna keep it here and it'll I don't know if it'll be in the next one. I bet they'll rethink a lot of things and at that point maybe they'll have a different kind of loop, but it really worked in these two games. All right. There was one other thing, Uh, Matt Piscatella, right before we started, just kind of shared some tidbits, you know, the empty MPD. The Circana Report as it's called now, will come out next week. But in the meantime, he's got a little bit of an update on Assassin's Creed Shadows, which he says has been the best selling video game in the United States for each of its first three weeks in the market, according to Sircana's retail tracking service, and that's based on dollar sales, so it's doing pretty good. That's, uh, probably what they wanted to hear.
Speaker 3: I'm happy for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, they they've got so many messes and they're all responsible.
Speaker 4: They're responsible for.
Speaker 1: All of them. They made it. They made a pretty good game, Assassin's Creed Shadows. Yeah, pretty solid. So I think it's the the game that a lot of Assassin's Creed fans were actually asking for as well, So I think that they'll be happy with us. I agree. All right, let's let's wrap things up. We got a pull question to get to. Uh, I have it here, let me get it. Oh, that's the game a wrap. Sorry everybody, let me go Giant bomb dot com slash at Giant Bomb and then you guys can go or no, that's YouTube dot com. I can't see the pull on the discord, Jans, so let me just get it here Giant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because everything Oh yeah, Jan said everything on his computer's frozen except obs oh fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, well at least that's still working. I got it here. Do you expect a switch to price increase? Now? I think we asked that at the end of last week. Let's see here. Forty nine percent said yes, twenty six percent said yes but a smaller one, and twenty five percent said no. I feel like we might have already answered that one as well, so maybe the new one didn't get posted. Well, have a new poll question, and that's going to be are you excited about Bungie's Marathon? Yes or no? We'll get that answered on Game Breaking News on Wednesday while we get ready for that. M fIF, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet, what you have going on and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, you can certainly find me at my local PopMart, robostore, at the one that is an actual brick and mortar store at a mall that's not as close but not so far from me.
Speaker 3: Maybe you could even find me at the Century City.
Speaker 2: Roboshop if I get really ambitious and want to make the.
Speaker 3: Drive over there.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm I'm at MFI Fun Blue Sky and on Instagram and the Fife on TikTok where I posted some unboxing videos and just explain, you know, a big explanation about the recent deterioration of my mental faculties.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it comes for us, all all right, let's see here, Like I said, the new pool question that'll go up on YouTube dot com slash at Giant Bomb. Just go to the community to tab you can vote there. We'll get the results. Talk about on Game Breaking News on Wednesday. Today, the schedules getting kind of flipped around a little bit. I think Jam might be having something. We'll see if his computer is going to break or not. And then let's see tomorrow we'll have the Bomb Cast. We will have a return of Blight Club on Wednesday, Voicemail, Donald Truck will be on Thursday. We'll be running a upf on Friday. Looking forward to all of that and more this week. In the time Emma Fi, thank you for hanging out with me and talking about video games. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You're very welcome.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching, Thank you all for listening. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself. Goodbye,