Speaker 1: And Milan. Well more than one bourbon anyway, seven oh six on a Friday, and a very happy one to you. This is a special weekend for me, and I know it's even more special for my next guest, Keith Destrics from the Care Starts Now. The Big Cure Starts Now gala taking place on Saturday night, and I have been blessed for years and years to be able to participate, doing a little facilitation and some announcements and things like that. It is the most awesome charitable gala you can ever hope to go to. Welcome back to the fifty five Carescene Morning Show. From the Care Starts Now, Keith Destrit. It's always great having you on the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you having us. Yeah, it's well, I mean we'll get to the bourbon raffle in a minute here. But for those maybe and I for all these years, I like to think every one of my listeners is familiar with the concept of the Care Starts Now. But you lost your daughter many years ago to the pediatric brain cancer gioblastoma, and it's one of the most aggressive cancers out there, so much so that as I've learned from you over the years. They quite often researchers won't do research on something so aggressive they can't get ahead of it because the mortality rate is so quick. It's just it's it's not in their view worthy of the research and investment of time, because well, the limited time of life on this earth. But as you have demonstrated over the years, with the care starts now and all the fundraising and global organization, which I want you to emphasize on here, global organization, you're now seeing you know, years worth of additional life after a diagnosis. I mean you've made terrific advancements to your work.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, and you know it has stretched to be worldwide. We actually just open up a Japanese chapter just about a month ago, so we're pioneering trying to grow some research there. We're up to fifty four locations now and you know we're home based. This is this is where we started here in Cincinnati, and some some very very big discovery, some of the biggest discoveries in cancer research really started with this. Because we believe, as many researchers do, that this is a home run chour. This is the type of cancer that if we can advance the treatment here. It's going to create something totally new, something that's not just chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, immunology, but maybe a whole new way to fight cancer and beat it for good. And that's really what we are. We're just we're not another cancer charity. What we are is we are hopefully that home run strategy.
Speaker 1: Well, and you've done a rather unique thing. I think one thing we can all commonly agree on is researchers are very protective of their work. You know, they get the research grand or they you know, the pharmaceutical industry funds their work. They protect it like a patent or like intellectual property. They don't want to You have been successful in organizing physicians from around the globe to get together, to work together and share this type of research. It's it's just unheard of.
Speaker 2: Well, I think what it comes down to is we apply a little bit of a business and a ten year strategy model to this, and so what we we don't look at cancer as bright and shiny as how we say it. You know, you don't look at one specific trial and go, oh, this is kind of cool, let's test it out and then quickly forget about it, move on to the next thing. What we do is we look at it and say, all right, what do we need to fill voids in our strategy. Who is the best person to be able to tap to do this? Get them in the game they may not even come from our realm, and then build a long term path based upon whether it succeeds or whether it fails. And you know, we thrown a lot of money against cancer, and you know the results have not been tremendously good. For the last eighty years. Have been talking about beating cancer, but we haven't talked about actually curing cancer enough. And so what we do is we look at it and say, we've got to We've got to take a long term approach to this. You got to stay there with them. You've got to be side by side with the pharmaceutical companies, with the researchers. You got to ask them what things they need to be able to change this and then actually put up the money to be able to make it happen. And so when you do that, you can accomplish really really big things with millions of dollars rather than having to throw billions of dollars at it all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have raised millions of dollars and what in terms of the gala? What number? What year is this? I've lost track.
Speaker 2: I think this is eighteen.
Speaker 1: Is where we're at.
Speaker 2: We're getting close to twenty years at this point. And yeah, it's gotten a lot bigger. I mean this year we kind of figured in maybe it's going to be a little bit smaller, have moved it to Sharonville. We sold out already, So I'd love to be able to talk about buying tickets to it today, but no we can't.
Speaker 1: I got good.
Speaker 2: News and we don't have any more chairs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you used up all the space and what better news could you have than that? Sorry, sucks to be you. You better get them early next year because it is a wonderful event and you know it.
Speaker 2: Is, and we try, we try to make something that's different than anything else. And you can buy them ahead of time. Now that's the good part about it. Starting on sun we're gonna start selling the next year tickets. But we try to do something it's called once in a lifetime because what we want to do is we want to give people a chance to buy something that they could never get otherwise. And we hate Rubber Chicken events. So what we look for is we look for an event that frankly.
Speaker 1: Is a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: And I know tomorrow is going to be just like that. I mean, we have a theme this year of a game show and Brian, your voice is going to be perfect.
Speaker 1: Get this is going to be so fun. I saw the list. I'm not going to reveal anything. I was literally laughing out loud when I saw the items that I'm going to be announcing about. So you've really put a smile the other ticket. I got the materials well.
Speaker 2: And then we have and then we have the live auction items.
Speaker 1: I mean a trip to you get to.
Speaker 2: Go to Bali and you get to be a part of a surf school. You know, you get to hang out with Marty and Tom Brenneman for a night. You know. There's all kinds of stuff that are just really really cool things, and they kind of were all themed around the original one, which is our presenting sponsor, which is Greater Greater, Yeah, and their wish to create your own flavor of ice cream, which you just don't get that, you know, that's a once in a lifetime thing. Yeah, And that's I mean, there's us been with us for from the beginning, and.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, and I was I was actually going to bring greaters up because God bless the Greater's family. They've been with you from the beginning and one of the original sponsors, because I wanted to use that as a vehicle to thank all the sponsors that help donate. They all the Raffle items have been donated by these wonderful sponsors. And I'll put a shout out to my friends. At twenty two three, they got a fourteen hundred dollars custom cig P three twenty with Wilson Combat grips. It's a beautiful firearm. They donated that. And of course pivoting over, God bless the Party Source. You know, I have literally gone out of my way to go make alcohol purchases at the Party Source. It's not even close to my house. I'm up in Simms Township, but every couple, you know, every once in a while, I'll drive all the way Party Source just to give them business in thanks for what they do for you and other organizations donating these this insane collection of bourbons for the Raffles.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's even though we're sold off for the gallo. This is something you can do now. It's a Kentucky based raffle. It's technically kind of a separate, you know element, because there's some restrictions of what we can do for Ohio with it, but you can actually go aline. You have it on your blog the link to it. But if you need it, it's just a CSN Events slash CSN events dot org slash Kentucky Bourbon raffle. And what it is is we have two separate raffles, but effectively four prizes spread between all of them that party source has donated to us. And you know, the cool part about it is, especially in timing of today, it's it's this is American made stuff too, so you don't have to worry about any of the news or any of the changes or anythings like that. And and go ahead, and I guess invest in a raffle, Well, it is investing, can't research.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you called it that because I know I used to not drink bourbon. I was traditionally a Scotch guy, and I've been a bourbon convert over the years. I've had so many opportunities to taste it. I kind of I've gotten to it, but I've never tasted Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon's right. And the reason is because he's so expensive and so rare. I mean, there's only a finite supply, and the entire world wants to get its hands on this because apparently it's the best bourbon out there. The one raffle the Van Winkle Reserve collection is a bottle of each one they make the Pappy van Winkle Family Reserve twenty three year, the Pappy van Winkle Family Deserve twenty Pappy van Winkle Family Deserve fifteen, Van Winkle Family Deserve RYE, thirteen year Old Van Winkle Special Reserve twelve lot B and Old Van Rip Van Winkles Family Deserve ten years. Every one of those bottles, one raffle ticket can win you all of them. And I go nuts when I see the price of these because this street value for the first one six grand. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and and here's the thing is that when you see these collections, and and if you if you collect bourbon, or if you you you see these, you know things out there, you know a lot of them have four bottles or they have five bottles with it. This is a six bottles collection. So this is this is everything pretty much that you could find with it, and it's one hundred dollars ticket. And you know, there's still tickets sold. We're selling them up until April eighth, which is what is.
Speaker 1: That next Tuesday or Wednesday, Tuesday.
Speaker 2: And uh and at that point we're going to be drawing it. And so it gives everybody a chance to just go online and you can go ahead and purchase it. We didn't have ones for for those that don't want to participate in the Pappy it's fifty dollars. But this has three prizes in it, so you know, whereas you just get one for the Pappy Van Weekle, but you get six bottles in this one. There are three different prizes, one of which is Brown Foreman's King of Kentucky. That's our first prize, yeah, three, and then a second prize Eagle Rare straight Bourbon seventeen year, says Iraq right eighteen year and George T.
Speaker 1: Stag.
Speaker 2: So all three of those bottles are the second prize. I mean, between all those that's probably about four thousand dollars freet value. I mean, obviously this stuff goes up and down you try to can it as best you can, and then you know your third prize, you're talking about a William LaRue Weller and a handy says Iraq straight Rye. So that alone is probably two thousand. So each one of these are huge prizes in and of themselves, and it's just really cool to, you know, get this type of offering from the party source and be able to have something that's the sweetener for people that can't come out to the gallop or just didn't get the tickets in time.
Speaker 1: So well, nobody cares about winning. They care about helping you find a cure for cancer, the home Run Cure. And you're doing one hundred dollars for the Van Winklers correction per ticket. That's one hundred dollars going in the pot of money that's going to fund research that's gonna come up with the home run cure. Same thing, raffle two fifty bucks a ticket, three opportunities to win on that one. So it's easy to remember. Fifty five KRC dot com. It's right there, probably displayed on my blog page. Thank you Joe Strekker for updating that, and thanks again to all the sponsors that are helping out the cure starts now, like, for example, the party source with this one and all the sponsors at the gallap tomorrow night really looking forward to that, and of course the Greater family from the get go with the opportunity, which is the neatest prize to create your own flavor ice cream. Blaine is is real quick because I know we promote a Lane's Blueberry Pie ice cream because it's named after your late daughter and it is an awesome ice cream. Does that is that on so thaut of the year it's sold.
Speaker 2: Typically they'll start that about it. Well, it's gonna be coming up here shortly, I imagine probably here in June as when you might start to see it. They usually try to do it as a he's no flavor with it, because I think it's one of the most intensive flavors to make, so it's not one of those ones that they'll have all the time.
Speaker 1: Okay you for that purpose, now come on the morning show when it's out, because it's an opportunity for people to help out the cure and eat some amazing ice cream that is, indeed, if not my favorite, one of my favorite flavors that Greaters make. But Greaters makes the best ice cream on the planet, hands down, no arguments period. End of story. Keith Testers, I'll see you tomorrow at the gala. Thanks for coming to the program today, and I'll encourage my listeners to get the five KRCA dot com. Get yourself a bourbon raffle ticket or four or five and have you practice. Come on down. Yeah, I'm working on it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We're looking forward to I guess you event really excited?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 1: I always have every year for that event seven eighteen Right now for the five krc DE talk station. Save up to fifteen hundred and fifty dollars on a new carrier comfort system. This of course from my good friends at Zimmer Heating and Cooling. The experts at Zimmer Heating and cool and have been making Cincinnati home safe, efficient, and of course comfortable for more than seventy five years. Family run and operated. Chris Zimmer taking the helm. He's proud of what they do. They got great customer service, and of course they represent the company that intended air conditioning, that's Carriers. So if you got to do it, you need a new system, it's the perfect time because you can save up to fifteen hundred and fifty bucks. But for all HVAC needs, call the best call Zimmer to reach them and schedule appoyment. Two ways of doing that. It's just go to the web page go zimmer dot com, go zimmer dot com call them up at five one three, five two one ninety eight ninety three. That's five two one ninety eight ninety three fifty five r