Speaker 1: You're watching Chewing the Cud.
Speaker 2: We've missed Kinsman and Mike Benu Room don't care what you're saying. I think I look bloody sexy. H Welcome to Cheering the Cud this week. I'm joined by the man who always has an egg. Well, it's more of a butt it's missed.
Speaker 1: Hi. How are you? I'm fine? Thank you. We don't talk about that. That's why I stopped saying butt plug. What have you got for us this weekness?
Speaker 3: Well, this week I'm talking about a mighty Morphing Power Ranger because it's apparently the nineties. And then we have an Eastere game to play in our Game of the week. And that's before we welcome Jordan Charles to the show on Spotlight on screen. Now you can see our social media just search for at the Cud TV. And as people who have popped up in our comments go along the bottom of our screen, it's time for Mike in the.
Speaker 1: Buzz thirty seconds or that was already not makeup? Ale over it? What mean? Is cup? No my makeup? How do you feel about mini eggs? I quite quite like it a mini egg? How many do you have in a handful?
Speaker 3: I'm not supposed to be on a tiet. I know, but how many you actually having a handful? Because I could easily flee a couple in a couple in did you know serving sizes eight mini eggs? Eight mini eggs?
Speaker 1: Eight mini eggs not a bag?
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous. Who's going to portion out eight eggs? People are counting calories? But they've been they've been issued with the.
Speaker 2: Warning of mini eggs okay, because basically they call they kill children, they're choking hazard. Basically, cabries have been told that they have to put water labels on them because people are putting them in their children are eating them right as children would and choking on them because they're going too quickly with them and they're a hard shells. So it's isn't that really on the children not knowing how to chew? Yeah, but you can't. You can't stop that happening. Does everything you stick in your mouth have to come with a label?
Speaker 1: Now, well comes with the noise.
Speaker 2: You should try not to say that. So what we're basically saying is mini eggs are not for kids, They're only for adults.
Speaker 1: Well, that's more for us than that's that's why I'm I don't think that's a bad thing. No, solve the kids. Do you have a lot of East Dreggs at home?
Speaker 3: I celebrate a star because I'm one of those weird, beardy, weirdy type people. So I've already had my Easter egg Okay, yeah, nice big. I go for luxury rather than quantity for.
Speaker 1: Quality, right, Okay, Well be thankfully don't live on Orkney. Why what's happened in Orkney? Because they've gone for out quantity of equality?
Speaker 2: Well, well, the main shop has as they've accidentally ordered seven hundred.
Speaker 1: And twenty East eggs. How many seven hundred and twenty?
Speaker 2: It was supposed to order eighty and ordered seven hundred and twenty because he kept forgetting it up placed in.
Speaker 3: Order, so he just kept ordering again and again Easter eggs. Well, yell, what's he going to do with that?
Speaker 1: Well? What is actually is doing a raffle to win one hundred Easter eggs? Training it with one hundred of them.
Speaker 3: He's still got a shed load left though. Yeah, and who's going to have one hundred Easter eggs or one?
Speaker 2: But very very happy person, I think, But what is actually said? I was reading this news story. It's like, oh, there's more saying there's more eggs than are people on the island, right, because he's tiny, tiny, How many.
Speaker 1: Eggs do you think each person would have to get through.
Speaker 2: Because they're not just like chuck them at the puffins. The Puffins don't like it, don't like I don't like puffs renowned for not liking any strengths. In fact, it's a well known fact. I forgot.
Speaker 3: How many actual people are on the actual island.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the disappointing part of the new story. It averages out one and a half.
Speaker 1: Exactly, like that's a day. Well, I suppose he's got to make actual sales. But yeah, but it's yeah, it's one and half a day. That's easy done.
Speaker 3: Question is is what's what's what's the facilities in terms of diabetic hospitals?
Speaker 2: Not great, eating three strikes in one day won't give you diabetes. I mean, if you've already got diabetes, it's not really great for you. Or if you're pre diabetic, is going to push you over. But it's only three strekes, it'll be right. They're not the massive ones.
Speaker 1: No they aren't.
Speaker 2: No, they're just yah, they're just eggs. You can pop one of them and not even notice. And if you can pop things in and not even notice, why not share that with us. We're at the coud TV on social media and that brings us to our story of the week.
Speaker 1: Now, do you like subway sandwiches? Oh? I could? I could slip one of those down the gullet.
Speaker 2: Yes you could. You can take twelve inches, keny more than I believe it. What's your favorite sub Bay sub?
Speaker 1: Say? Subways? Brother, just sub I quite like a bit of tuna. Maoo, you have it toasted? No good? Who wants warm fish? Warmfish in mayonnaise?
Speaker 2: Well, the good news is for all subway fans that they have launched a special Easter Subway what's in that?
Speaker 1: Cabbage cream? Eggs? Ooh, sweet things and bread? Sweet things in bread.
Speaker 2: Now, the thing is Subway bread is renowned for being sweet so much in the fact is Ireland.
Speaker 3: It's actually technically called a cake. Oh yes, sugar yeah yeah, it's like American bread.
Speaker 1: But they're only to sell five hundred of them across the country. I can't imagine that's nice if you're not just imagine the taste and going, I wonder what that tastes like I.
Speaker 3: Like a sandwich and a cream egg for dessert. Mummon, Yes, it's all going in the same place, but they are two separate events.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how do you also feel about hot chocolate, because that's what that is, because it's a toasted one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't. I don't have a bread stick in my hot chocolate. Okay, you've been very negative about this idea. I'll have a flake in my hot chocolate. Okay, that you can't stir a flake in it's just not And that's no longer a mug of is it? That's no longer a mug.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite of heart chocolate or mug. One of my.
Speaker 3: Favorite things to do with hot chocolate or coffee is get a kit cat bite off both ends, shut it in gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad that you're open minded towards this because because you can only get five undred of them, there's nowhere I was going to get one for the show today, sheepskate. I do, however, Well, there's limited availability. I do, however, I have a mind of imagination and ingenuity. You are a clever Yeah, So I have a toasty maker and I have made.
Speaker 1: Have you cut the crust?
Speaker 3: I have cut the crussh you big kids.
Speaker 2: We'll go on then, because you have to cut that because everybody knows that the middle bit is possible to break.
Speaker 1: Cheers, okay, mm hmm, that's good, right, mm hmm. I'm bout my head for a bit of one. Mm hmm. That's a taste sensation, that's m hmm.
Speaker 3: It's definitely a taste sensation. I'm not too sure if it's a good one, but it is a sensation. Mm hmmm mmm mm hmm. It's not an idiot, but well, thanks for that, Mike, love try. I want to move on because I don't want to shove any more of it in about.
Speaker 1: What plant more? M you don't have to eat any more of it, then that's fine. You've tried it, you gave it a go. There's a lot of queue involved in this.
Speaker 3: There is a lot of Yeah, you have to get your mouth around it and then you and enjoy what what spurts out of the filling.
Speaker 1: Now, so you're not you're not a fan of that, then no, why not?
Speaker 3: Because because because it's it's it's it's it's merging two things that I don't feel.
Speaker 1: Chocolate is just delightful.
Speaker 3: I know, but the balance is all wrong. Balance is wrong for what it's just it's just too much sweet in the bread I like. I like a glass on a little bit it's of chocolate in but it's it's it's a little bits of chocolate.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are you doing? I play it in my cupboard. Oh yes, you could also get do the camera once just say thank you? Are we eating it now? Are we okay? Facing the sweet shop? Right? This is a treat. Don't want to pop it in? You've heard that before. Have you done something to this?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I haven't done anything to it, trust at all. That subwhere we're going just close that I think popped to Love again. No, no, no issue.
Speaker 2: Subway of and said I'm only going to do five hundred of these. This is a great conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, going to do five under of these. Right, they are talking.
Speaker 2: About all those things that they could possibly do. Right, So coming soon you may see a mars bar subway or a Snickers. You're up for a mars bar, but not because that is that not the wrong amount of sweet?
Speaker 1: What is it? Skip? Little Timmy is down and well.
Speaker 2: You couldn't wait three minutes, no idea. Look, Timmy has stuck down all paraly.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 1: Now you're doing a pressure fing flipper everything. Everything's by the sea. It's fine. I was just saying it's very interesting. I'm not saying that I want to have one.
Speaker 2: Oh right, Okay, I couldn't tell what you were saying. But yeah, that's all from the buzz this week.
Speaker 1: Well thanks for that, and it's left.
Speaker 3: Me with a rather nice and unusual sensation down the back of my throat because.
Speaker 1: It wasn't warm pleasure as always.
Speaker 2: Stick around because coming up next we have missed in the celebrity show biz news. You're watching chewing a cud with mist and Mike. Now let's get ready for the showbiz with the one in the hat. I think I look quite pretty actually, anyway, time for the show is news.
Speaker 3: First up, one of my favorite shows is back, The Umbrella Academy.
Speaker 1: I like The Umbrella Academy. Yeah, I really really enjoy it. It's just got that right sense of being offbeat. It's fun. It's fun, yeah, and thrilling exactly.
Speaker 3: So it's back for its fourth season and this is going to be the final season.
Speaker 1: Sadly, okay, and we've had Elliott Page promoting it now.
Speaker 3: He's not really able to give away very very much because obviously they want it to be a surprise and interesting for us, but they have said they're not really allowed to tell us anything. But it's going to be as per usual, very fun, classic Hargreaves, chaos and hijinks.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, very much looking forward to it for these two get nicked hopefully, but their siblings, hopefully not with each other.
Speaker 2: They're not actually siblings, though they kind of they've got raised together. They're not related. But you don't know what's behind it all, and that's what we might find out in season four. You see, apparently the show runner, Steve Blackman, doesn't plan to tread the same ground, and they're going to subvert the storyline and giving us an ending to end.
Speaker 1: The whole season well from the end of last year season three. The spoiler alert. If you've not watched it yet, you're too late. Get over it.
Speaker 2: It has been a year. It's been a while. They lost all their powers, didn't they. Yes, so it could be a very boring season.
Speaker 1: Well, what can you do? Nothing? Well, I heard a rumor that oh, nothing happened.
Speaker 3: Hopefully we'll find out what's all been going on while they were all born at the same time, whether they are actually siblings or not, and because there has been romances between it's already happened. Yeah, but we will find out, and I'm looking forward to it. Apparently that's going to be released on August eighth.
Speaker 1: Not that towards the end of the year, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we've still got a little time to wait yet, but it's in the pipeline.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But anyway, moving on, I also have a bit of a story about Now this might be a bit of a flashback for you. I mean I was already kind of a little bit too old when these guys came out, really at least on British TV.
Speaker 1: But do you remember the Power Rangers? Do Do Do Do Do Do? Yeah, don't do any more of that because we have to pay royalties. But yes, I bet we don't bet it's out of copyright.
Speaker 3: Well, the nineties weren't that long ago. It's only been a decade. But yes, the original cast.
Speaker 1: Twenty four years ago. What did you mean twenty four years ago? Twenty four years ago? No, how depressing?
Speaker 3: Huh, Yeah, anyway, So from the original cast of the Power Rangers, there's the Blue Power Ranger Billy just there on the far left.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite of the Power Rangers? As I said, I was a little bit too old for this when they first came out.
Speaker 3: Really, I was already like coming home from school and smoking things I shouldn't and drinking. Okay, at least that's how I remember it. I never really engage with them, but I knew that they were a big thing for kids at the time.
Speaker 2: I liked the green one because his name was Tommy and he had a lot He had a ponytail.
Speaker 3: See I kind of looked like that back in the day, so I didn't know I do you know who? I used to get shouted at me when I was at school because this is what I looked like and I don't look like it at all now. Darius remember Darius Denesh from like the X Factor Dead now? Yeah he's dead now, sadly, and he turned out to be quite dish year as he grew up. But back when he was on X Factor with the long pony tile and the sally, yeah, that's what I looked like. And then he appeared on X Factor and I never lived it down throughout high school. Thanks high school bullies. Anyway, that's not the story.
Speaker 1: The story. I wasn't gay at that point. I didn't come out till later.
Speaker 3: I did not know anyway back on with the story as posed by traumatic childhood. Actually, this is a sad story which I think he played Billy Cranston, this guy called David Yost and actually he had such a bad time during that show because he was gay and still is. But they really bullied him on that show for it, so much so that he put himself into conversion therapy.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah.
Speaker 3: It was apparently about two years, and it just completely mucked with his head, as conversion therapy would do.
Speaker 1: He said it gave it. He had a nervous breakdown because of it.
Speaker 3: It took him two years to become comfortable and really open about himself. And it wasn't an overnight process, and it took him a long time to be happy and comfortable. He's now an anti conversion therapy campaigner, and he said the end result of conversion therapy were numerous thoughts of suicide and nervous breakdown, five weeks in a hospital and years trying to mend my mental health while operating out of survival mode.
Speaker 1: Psychologically destroying and torturing me is not a first right amendment.
Speaker 2: It's very probably at the minute because of course the UK and the anti conversion therapy bills still being not debated by It's.
Speaker 3: Taking its time, yes, but it's certainly I perceive it to be a lesser issue in this country than it is an America.
Speaker 2: But I'm still something we could do with legislating again exactly, especially a trans siblings. So until it risk about this, absolutely, I think it's very important that he shares how traumatic it.
Speaker 1: Can be to go through conversion therapy, and it's good to.
Speaker 3: Make something positive out of a horrible experience because I'm sure all the kids that were watching it back in the day did not realize that that's what was going on behind the scenes. Now anyway, onto a lighter story. Okay, American Idol it's still going on. It's apparently season twenty two.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't usually watch these kind of shows. It's just not my kind of thing, but they are big, they are popular, and it's still going It's Luke Bryan, Katie Perry, and Lionel Richie on the judging panel now, and you know the format. They go through auditions, they get to a big audition, and then somebody comes out as a pop star at the end, and you never see of them hear of them ever again.
Speaker 1: Kelly Clautson, who Kelly Cloutson.
Speaker 2: You know Kelly Clarkson is I've got a few of the tracks on Jim she was an American idult person.
Speaker 1: Some of them do all right, but out of twenty two seasons.
Speaker 2: Which American, isn't it, I don't know any of them exactly. Anyway, that's young anyway, that's not the point.
Speaker 3: Okay, they're going through the audition stages at the moment, okay, and you know, you know how it usually goes. You'll get some clips and stuff coming out, and there'll be some amazing ones, and there'll be some real clunkers, and then they'll be the odd why the hell do they even turn up because they're just so awful. Well, one of these has come out and it kind of genuinely blew my mind. Is actually really good and I think that this one might be one of those more force for good things, which is really good considering the size of the platform. So we have Amari, a bubbly twenty eight year old waitress from Indiana. She does this stripped back acoustic cover of Britney Spears's Toxic Okay, and it's good. It's it's not a Darius no no, no, no no, she's really good. She finishes it with a bit of a Darius moment, but he is actually quite good. She does that mouth trumpet mimicking kind.
Speaker 1: Of, but she's really good at it. Okay, really good at it.
Speaker 3: I'm ridiculous, but she's really good. And it's the whole thing's really super cute and very jazzy and stripped back, and I really really appreciated it. And she just has a beautiful personality. She really shone through, absolutely gorgeous. Yeah yeah, she's just nice, affable, down to her. But Katie Perry pipes up and thinks that she might have a little bit more in her and asks her to do another song now. Before she goes into that song, she explains why this song is important to her, and she tells the panel that she's actually transgender, and she reflects that during her transition, she actually lost a lot of friends. The people in her life just walked away. She says, it's normal to lose a lot of people. I'm not mad at them. I understand. I don't expect people to understand everything. I want to love everybody. So many people would have been really happy if I'd just stayed in my little box. And sometimes I miss that person. And then she then goes on to sing she used to be Mine from the musical Waitress, and it's stunning, absolutely slight. She does it in this talk singing style and all of the emotion comes in through that. It's perfect. Lionel Richie describes it as perfectly imperfect, and it genuinely is. If you go onto YouTube, you should be able to find a clip of it rather than having to watch the whole damn show. And she's amazing, genuinely.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks that missed.
Speaker 2: I was going to say something wildly inappropriate, but all I want to say is stick around because coming up next we have our game of the week. You're watching Chewing the Cud and this week we're going to play a game of that's mighty interesting, and that's for our very own bunny Smuggler.
Speaker 1: That's missed. So off your pop okay and the bootse you car probably all the week, So we're going to play. That's mighty interesting.
Speaker 2: So mister has got a range of Eastern related questions for me, and I was trying to get it right.
Speaker 1: This is no way, shape or form a knockoff of QI.
Speaker 3: You any questions, sir, mister, I do and in depth and difficult, and you're going to really struggle this week to get any questions on this quiz?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Sounds about right? Are you ready? I'm pretty not clever? Right? Okay? How are you ready for this? Who wrote the Tale of Peter Rabbit? An author? Correct? Well done? But which author you're muppet?
Speaker 3: Jim Henderson was known, but author no? Which author wrote the Tale of Peter Rabbit?
Speaker 1: Was it? And Jessica Fletcher?
Speaker 3: No, Jessica Fletcher is a fictional character and it's not an actual author. Very very famous lady, mainly because of these books. Enid Blake close but no cigar. Sorry, it was Beatrix Potter.
Speaker 1: Oh that's mighty interesting. Yeah, So so okay, let's try another one. What kind of bird delivers eggs to children in Switzerland for Easter? What kind of bird? Mm hmmm? News and orthological nature? Check out you with the long words not as thick as you look. So it's a bird.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a bird. This is a tradition in Switzerland. We have bunnies, they have they have a bird.
Speaker 1: They have a bird. But a bird for the word no, I'll give you the answer because you're obviously not going to get it. It is a Google gool Google. Oh, that's mighty interesting.
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're blowing things away here.
Speaker 1: I'm well known for that. I've written on toilet walls and everything. Let's try another question.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, this is my interesting Sorry, that's your line, but it is according to the Bible, that jolly book. How did Judas identify Jesus in the Garden of Gathemony?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that same.
Speaker 2: No, that's a tap on grinder, And it's like, oh, you're getting closer, tap on grinder, scruff.
Speaker 1: He waffed him on scruff.
Speaker 3: He didn't waff him on scruff. Think two days where you didn't have such digital aids.
Speaker 1: He walked up to the k a right love even closer, Jeff, fancy a shag closer. Here's twenty p.
Speaker 3: What happens when a fellow walks around and hanging out with twelve guys all at once exactly?
Speaker 1: So no, it wasn't an orgy. He wiped his own seaman away from his die. No, he kissed him. Oh that's mighty interesting. Okay, the Bible is not obviously not your thing, so let's try it is.
Speaker 2: Because according to different parts of the Bible, I can prove that we're all women.
Speaker 1: Now that's mighty interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hang on, we're doing this is the wrong way around because in the Bible it says that we are all children of the Lord.
Speaker 1: But then later on it says that God so loved the world he gave his only son. We're a woman, then that is mighty and rest. This is the wrong way round. I'm supposed to be giving either fact.
Speaker 3: Right, Back to the quick, Okay, back to the quiz. So what is Easter known as in France? I'm not look, Oh, let's shock.
Speaker 1: A lad day, no surrender, no lotta. That's a song, not the name for Easter. Bastile day, no brioche day. Right, you're not going to get it.
Speaker 3: I actually don't know how to pronounce this. My niece, who lived in France for a long long time, will be very annoyed at making it.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Facts pas facts p A with one of those little fiddly bits on the top of it.
Speaker 1: Q u E s now packs is pax? I don't know. I don't know, and it's shoffing packs and you shove it up your chickens. Oh that's mighty interesting. Moving on, what is the day before Good Friday? Called? Do you actually want to know the answer to this? Or joined a comedy moment? A comedy moment would be a first on this show.
Speaker 2: I'm so I have a memory of going on the Thursday before Good Friday queuing up for a pat of butter? Was my gran because the council used to give us butter instead of money. So yeah, he says in what comedy moment? So I told your story instead?
Speaker 1: What? Hi? What were we doing? It's Mornday Thursday because you get more day money. God, you got it right, well done.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm a smart What is the name of the rabbit in Winni the poop rampant? No, this is rampant rabbit.
Speaker 3: He's not a rampant rabbit if I remember correctly, He's quite an old rabbit days.
Speaker 1: If the batteries work, the batter's work. Well, the name of the rabbits in Winnie the Pooh was rabbit. That's not very imaginative. I mean, that's very interesting on them. Now.
Speaker 3: We talked about this earlier. Actually true or false? Easter is named after the pagan goddess Estra.
Speaker 1: You're asking me whether it's named after God's called Estra.
Speaker 3: Yeah, true or false. I'm not pronouncing that correctly, by the way, But hey ho, I'm.
Speaker 1: Supposed to get it right. If you don't even give me the right question, pronounce it properly.
Speaker 3: I can't pronounce it properly. That's why I pronounced it wrong. It's a very very old word. Nobody knows how it is supposed to be pronounced.
Speaker 1: Sal e O s t r E is the tear? Normal shape? Tear?
Speaker 2: Is it slanty t It's not a slanty t okay, no idea is I just wanted to make it sound. I don't know what I'm talking about. I know Old English had an F which was an S. True according to this yes it is true. According to other pagan authors, it's not true at all. But hey ho, that's a history for you.
Speaker 1: What a in a minute? Hang on a minute, hang a minute. So it is isn't? It can't be both. It depends on who you talk to. There are scholars, it's common that's what the university system is for. There are scholars. It's actually. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The people do argue it's commonly thought as being that, but I have sources that say it's not.
Speaker 2: Actually, that's very gravy on milam Oh, that's mighty interesting.
Speaker 1: What does the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland always carry? It's a better batress.
Speaker 2: You are obsessed with this sex toy, aren't you. Well, look you know when you get get something, I need some batteries. You never find batteries. There's always someone that's called practice then.
Speaker 1: That remember when this was written they weren't batteries back then? When was it written? A long time ago? Before batteries?
Speaker 2: Alice in Wonderland? Yes there's Carol, Yes, Victorian times. Yes that batters did we Yeah, they weren't known as batteries and they were they weren't easy to move and stuff.
Speaker 1: But we've had batteries for centuries before batteries were common use.
Speaker 2: And if you're a triple A, it was a watch it as it was always running late because he was office tits on speed. That's mighty interesting. But can we after this short break. We have Jordan Charles in Spotlight. Welcome back to during the good We've had someone knock on our door, so let him in and it's actually Jordan Charles, so let's get to know him in Spotlight.
Speaker 1: So welcome, thank you, thank you for having me. It's our pleasure. So for people that don't know who you are and what you do, you're an artist in residence. Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: So the Mill has its beautiful new fifth floor space kind of like a multipurpose residency space, and so I mean, I'm one of the first resident artists up there, kind of getting to use the space to just take some time away and make some incredible work hopefully Okay.
Speaker 1: And so what kind of work is it that you do while you're in that space.
Speaker 5: So I'm a singer and a writer, and so I'm currently writing a musical and so I've been up there, yeah, playing around with the songs and kind of making puppets and kind of just trying to test out this brand new idea.
Speaker 1: And it's been Yeah, it's been a great time. Actually you said puppets, I am very excited about. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So we've been working with an amazing puppeteer Carolyn Adda, who yeah, makes incredible puppets out of like recycled materials and new new, and so we kind of yeah, got her to come and work with us and make some things for us. And she made puppets out of like rubber gloves and like bin bags and bits of cardboard. But they kind of, yeah, moved and spoke and did incredible things. I think you'd have loved it.
Speaker 1: Well. First got you into the arts.
Speaker 5: So many many years ago, when I was about four years old at our school, we'd all do this like arts festival. Everyone would get up and do like a little poem and you don't learn the same one. And there was this little poem about a chicken and my and so we all got up and did that little poem about the chicken, and I got up.
Speaker 1: And did mine.
Speaker 5: And the head mistress, who was like a scary woman, she was a you know, stern, stern woman, but lovely, she came up to my parents and she said that one drama lessons now.
Speaker 1: And the rest is history. And when did it become a career for you?
Speaker 5: It became a I've been doing it full time for about seven years now. I did a TV show called Let It Shine. It was Gary Bardo TV show, and he was kind of looking for people to play Take That in his own musical. You might have noticed I don't really look like any of the members of Take That, so it was a bit of a it was a bit of a job. But yeah, I did that show and I was working full time at the time, and I kind of tried to do the job and you know this at the same time, and they basically like, you can't take two months off to go and do this show. So yeah, with no bookings, no plans, no nothing, I just quit my job. And yeah, took a leap.
Speaker 1: Nice. So you took that leap, and it's all history since then. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And of course during the pandemic, arts took a bit of a pause, shall we say, just a little one week off.
Speaker 1: So what was it you were doing during the pandemic.
Speaker 5: Well, actually, like directly before the pandemic was the first time that I came to the mill to work on this musical Audia, and I hadn't touched it for years, and then I had just kind of got myself together to start working on it again, and I did my first little residency here at the mill, and it was kind of this, you know, the start of new things, big things, and that was in January twenty twenty, and then obviously Mark twenty twenty. Then you know, things kind of like fell apart for everyone in the arts really, so I just kind of took the time and I kind of focused on other things I hadn't had the chance to really look at, so I didn't do I kind of I started writing poetry much more in the pandemic. I really that was really kind of something that really helped me get through, especially some of the more difficult early times. I kind of, yeah, just got it out through poetry that hadn't written in like five years, and just other things I just stuff like to get play around with. I started to play around with makeup and kind of created a like an aesthetic and like clothes and started learning how to sew properly, and yeah, just kind of tried things out. Banana bread, no banana bread, but lots of baking. And because I'm I'm diabetic, so there's like lots of like sugar free baking and experimentation and yeah, different things, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of banana breadur in the pandemic. Yeah, what's what's your most what's your biggest inspiration?
Speaker 5: I'm inspired by a lot of things really kind of like quite directly, especially in the work I'm making at the minute, a lot of the kind of you know, big musicals that we all that we all love, kind of people like Alan Menkin, kind of that Golden Age of Disney. But then also like inspired artistically by by people's kind of just commitment to really being themselves and being their full, yeah, full authentic person, So people like Genelle Monet and Beyonce, you know, kind of really bringing all of themselves into the work, but it also still being really beautiful and elevated and incredible.
Speaker 1: So yeah, particular themes that you work with or ideas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at the minute, especially I'm working a lot with mythology. The show draws from europeur mythology, West African mythology, and I've always been a bit of a fantasy nerd. I love D and D at the moment, so like that's yeah, that's always.
Speaker 1: A big Sorry, this has just got very excited, said twenty waiting for me. As soon as we wrap the second round, I'll come with you.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that big, yeah, fantasy is definitely a big, a big inspiration, a big theme, and kind of tying that in with my own identity however I can, whether that's my blackness or my queerness, like kind of yet bringing those two things together.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm just waiting for desperate. Yeah, he's giving me.
Speaker 5: He's giving me kind of like barbarian fighter vibes, but like with a heart of gold, heart.
Speaker 1: Of gold heart runs.
Speaker 2: So with all those inspirations that you've got and all those things you can draw inspiration from, how does that come across any poetry?
Speaker 5: I think it comes across quite directly, to be honest, because my poetry is quite it's quite conversational. It's quite kind of yeah, they could almost be, you know, more unspoken word monologues. Yeah, so I think it comes in quite directly because I'm often speaking from, yeah, a place of my own experience kind of you know, have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a poem called.
Speaker 5: I Lost, which is very much just kind of me and my musings about my feelings about you know, my history and access to elders and queer elders and black elders, and you know, yeah, I think it's it's it's it's it's there because I if I'm writing poetry, it's one of the most direct forms I have of really just putting my heart on the paper.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me say, it's about your history. What what is your history? How would you describe that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Long and storied, and that's how I describe it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that the parts of my history that are really important to me are, yeah, being a Caribbean person living in Britain, understanding what that means historically as much as I can. I'm currently reading Black and British by David L. Shoga, which is about you know, the history of black people in Britain going back way wait, you know to you know, medieval times almost so, yeah, kind of like accessing that as much as possible. And then my identity is a queer person and how those two things kind of like, you know, interplay and have interplay throughout my whole life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just trying to.
Speaker 3: Access the ancestors as much as possible through through what I'm doing. In terms of your back catalog and everything that you have done, well, I.
Speaker 5: Like, you've got to get a back catalog, but yeah, let's let's use that.
Speaker 3: What's been the most satisfying the proudest thing that you've produced so far.
Speaker 5: I mean, other than the show that we you know, we had our sharing last night at the mill, other than that. Very recently, I took part in a competition Pride's Got Talent. It's run by Pride in London, and I kind of took part in it almost almost at whim really, I kind of just had some time and just kind of really went for it. But then once I was there, I was kind of so infused and kind of really really dove in and somehow managed to fool them into giving me the crowd. So thank you, thank you, thank you. Uh and so yeah, kind of a yeah and and and then and the final was it the Adelphi Theater, so kind of big old Western theater, which was a brand new experience for me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, just kind of being able to do that and making it through was what does the future hold?
Speaker 5: The future holds spending more time working on my on my own work, now working on this show, hopefully kind of taking it to a to a yeah, you know, to a full production or you're on stage somewhere, and just yeah, really kind of committing to myself as an artist.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's the next challenge.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, And if we want to find out what you're doing in a way up to how would we get in a hold of you?
Speaker 5: You can follow me at I am Jordan Charles on my Instagram where you can see me doing some more gay nonsense, or you can follow Obsidia Collective at we are Obsidia O B S I D I A. And you can find this at Obsidia Collective dot com as well, where you can find all manner of things about me and the musical and what's coming up next?
Speaker 1: And so would you like to come back on and talk about the musical? If I must, I'd love to perfect.
Speaker 2: Well, that's almost the end of the show. Remember to find us on our social media is at the cood TV.
Speaker 1: Thank you for watching and we'll see you soon. Bye, babe. Very excited about having me on about the musical. Yes, oh, thank you.