Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show. Idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing or tail off. Countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold play inner Murals, Brother goal play Inner Murals.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, let's get it started, ladies and gentlemen. This is the second consecutive day that I've started the show really hearing what I sound like for the first time. I mean, I don't usually out my day have headphones in listening to myself talk. But the voice is getting better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you sound a lot better.
Speaker 4: I feel a lot better.
Speaker 2: You look a lot better.
Speaker 4: Thank you appreciate that much, which is like an impossible feat. Anyways, I mean, it just continued to continue to amaze you, don't You.
Speaker 2: Got the flannel on the flannel flight colored?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Really went a hoodie? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Really warm? Oh it's nice, kind of kind of roomy too, you know, Yeah, it's maybe I got some room in here for you, big guy.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, making.
Speaker 5: A double xcel what it was always it like eighteen degrees outside.
Speaker 4: It's very cold, but the sun is shining and okay, cularly definitely has an impact on sort of what the weather can do for you when it comes to morale.
Speaker 2: Did it snow again last night?
Speaker 4: A little bit? It was, God, it wasn't nearly as much as I think they were expecting from a couple of days ago, but a little bit of a dusting and uh, you know, it's freezing outside and another NTI day for my kids. And I think JCPS, though, did decide to be tough guys and go to school.
Speaker 2: Let me do that.
Speaker 4: And I don't say that to mock them, because you know.
Speaker 2: They grew up.
Speaker 4: If you can go to school, you should, And even if there is and that's one of those things that I always remind myself when I look outside of my window at my streets or I'm on the road near my neighborhood. Not everybody's the same. So when they make those decisions, you know, you got to keep in mind there's a lot more that goes into it than just where you live, especially in JCPS. That's the biggest school district in the state, probably the region, to be honest with you, I mean, I would imagine there are bigger school districts in parts of Tennessee and Indiana, but maybe I'm wrong. But anyways, it's still cold outside, but the sun is out and that that's an enhancement to the vibes and we're gonna have some fun today. I do have the throat laws and gen so if you hear me sounding a little bit different, it's because I'm trying to not make the same mistake as yesterday. I came in a little bit too hot. When I've got the this whatever it is that I have, it's no longer really sign a see now, it's just it's not even my throat hurts at all. It's just my voice is kind of just not at hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you're getting over at that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So yesterday I thought as the show went on, it got better, and then the last thirty minutes or so, the tank was on e And then I got home and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to go today because I couldn't speak, and I started feeling even worse but sure enough, got some got some liquids, got some rest. I went to better earlier than I ever do, and I woke up this morning feeling better. The only thing that really is still an issue is that I just don't necessarily sound the same. But we'll rally today. It's Austin's Friday, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 4: I'm not here tomorrow, man, I forgot about that. I'm here to remind you to make sure we appreciate it. Finished the week strong with you, and I'll be here tomorrow to get your step for the weekend, but also be at the flea market. That's right. You ever go to the flea market when it's not work?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, but sometimes when I'm there, I'm like, you know what, I could probably see myself finding myself here, but I just never never really would have.
Speaker 4: I've kind of got a kind of got an odd interest in flea market kind of stuff. I don't buy anything, like I've gone to the flea market every now and then. As a kid, I would go and I remember there was little setups that had like basketball cards. I thought that was cool as hell. But I'm not real big on like I mean, I can't think of many things that I've purchased from a flea market. But if I have time to kill, like I've got an appointment or a meeting or something, you know, where I like to kill some time peddler's mall oh.
Speaker 2: Dude, have you ever been to a peddlar?
Speaker 4: I don't buy anything.
Speaker 2: I just walk around. Occasionally.
Speaker 4: Occasionally I'll see some like vintage like U of L T shirts and hoodies and stuff, and they're cool, but one they're used, and of course I'll wash it before I ever wear it. But because those are kind of like hard to find now, they're expensive, like you'll pay fifty bucks for a decent sweatshirts, and yeah, I mean I do. I don't pay for that because that's just I can't.
Speaker 2: Just walk in and say.
Speaker 4: I wish it worked that way, but it doesn't. But flea markets are you there all day?
Speaker 2: I'm only there from three three to five?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I'm sure you're gonna be working hard, but I would be to be there. I'm gonna challenge you, okay, to buy something.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I bought some honey last year from a place, okay out in Bardstown I thought was like a honey bourbon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, it was. It was pretty good.
Speaker 5: They also have last couple of times i've been there the last couple of years, they have like a stand that has like the uh, the football and other cards and stuff like that, athletic cards, and they also have a stand for like a wrestling action figures. I've been starting to collect those in my elder year.
Speaker 4: When I think of flea market, that's the kind of stuff I think, Yes.
Speaker 5: An old kid, there's a stand. There's someone that every there, every year that sells old Kentucky Derby shirts.
Speaker 2: And I don't even think that they're authentic.
Speaker 5: It's like the ones that Kroger would roll out probably like two months before the Derby that they never like sold all of them. So these guys bought them in bulk and decided to sell them next year.
Speaker 2: Man, So you'll see that there.
Speaker 4: You just you just gave me a dose of nostalgia, because I'm sure they still do. But I just don't go that much anymore. But when I was a kid, nobody, no store, no local place. I feel like did Derby quite like Kroger. Kroger always had the glasses they had, like you know, they're a set up within the store. They'll have flags and yeah, good stuff, all that kind of fun stuff. So yeah, so Monday when you when we return, I'm gonna need you to tell me what you bought. Okay, Okay, I guess try to find something random, something cool.
Speaker 2: He'll be uh random and cool.
Speaker 4: Okay, Like there's really nothing you could take from a flea market that I could sit here and say, wow, I'm surprised that that was there, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, other than some like honey, and I might find like the local farmer that sells like beef jerky guarantee you there's good beef jerky definitely, So would that qualify under Okay, okay, so we'll do that.
Speaker 4: Then why is beef jerkey so expensive? I feel like if I, if I was to ever, you know, start a starting to start a hustle, I would figure out how to produce high quality beef jerky that tastes good. But you know, I would make it half of what everybody else charges, which would still be expensive because I don't understand why beef jerky costs. Would it cost? Now, if there was a way to do that, there's a lot of smarter people out there than me. Then I'm sure they would have been able to tap into the market and make big money. But that's the one thing that I just don't know. I mean, before the recent rise, and really it's not recent. It's been a couple of years that we've had things just skyrocketing. As far as the price, beef jerkey has been consistently expensive.
Speaker 2: For always has been for whatever reason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, since the beginning of time, it seems so.
Speaker 5: Anyways, I will say, my other beef with my other beef with the jerky is do you notice that every beef jerky always comes with like that small little like the salt package, right or something like that, and they always make it the size of the beef jerky in there, so you always have to like fumble around and when you're like picking some out, Okay, accidentally I picked that salt packet out, it tells you absolutely do not eat or consume.
Speaker 2: Why is that in there?
Speaker 5: I'm sure that there's some sort of scientific reasoning for it, but I don't I don't get it.
Speaker 4: I don't get it either, And maybe if we just read what it says, then maybe it would tell us I've never paid attention. I just realized, Oh I don't want to eat that. I'm gonna throw it away, says, you don't eat You go in there and get a little, a little small grab yeah from when you're at the end. Yeah, from the beef jerkey bag. You get one one piece that's bigger than two that are kind of on the smaller side. And then you have that white thing that is a little packet that I don't know. In fact, it looks exactly like this throat lozenge packet. It's the exact same size. So anyways, Austin, he's only with us until six o'clock and then he's out of here till Monday. So we're gonna make make the most of it. For sure. It is coffee and company, and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. And I need to just get something out of the way. I believe that regardless of what people put out there, as far as they're you know, being honest with not only themselves but with other people. I think every human being on the planet has had, or maybe currently has a level of jealousy about something, and I think being jealous Isn't it one of the worst looks you can have. I mean, it's it's such a common thing. I embrace it though it's a human it's a natural human emotion. I think it makes I mean, I don't know if it's healthy, but like, I don't care what kind of person you are, I'm sure you have had legitimate jealousy in your life over very big you know, things that are a big deal. I don't know, like like your ex wife or something you're jealous of the guy that's now in her life, or maybe somebody at work that got a promotion, or maybe somebody on your high school basketball team that got more playing time than you. I mean, jealousy is a it's you know, how you deal with it, how you handle it, what you let it do to you, that's totally different. But then there's some people that you know would be insecure enough to attack like they've never been jealous. I mean, I don't know how anybody could look at themselves in the mirror claim that, because I just don't think it's possible. But obviously some are more open about it than others. And I don't think I'm like on the super jealous side, But I'm willing to acknowledge and put it out there and be open and real about it when I have legitimate jealousy. And I last night as I was feeling ill, consuming as much college basketball as I could, because we did end up finishing land Man right after dinner, but finishing phenomenal, phenomenal, I mean, one of the best shows I've watched in a long long time. Let's go, and it's set up perfectly for them to of course, you know, give us that second season.
Speaker 5: See, I'd love to talk about it, but John, you don't want to spoil something, so we'll talk about it off air.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we'll set up a time probably, I don't know, because I'm a little late to the party. A lot of people have already fished it. When did it actually finish season one?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 5: I think a few weeks ago maybe, or is it longer than that January? I think okay, because it started like right at Christmas, I think.
Speaker 4: And if you're watching now, like you have the ability to finish it right, So maybe we'll wait till next week to kind of do a little segment on it, because I think it's phenomenal television I'm not sure when he's in his bag. As they say, Billy Bob Thornton is as good as it gets. Yeah, I mean, he's phenomenal. I'd never been a huge fan of him personally, probably because you were jealous that he was with Angelina Joe Lee. You remember that she was at her hottest.
Speaker 5: What's the movie that he's with Halle Berry's at Monster? Yeah, yes, I was at Billy Bob.
Speaker 4: He's one of those guys that I never thought he wasn't phenomenal as an actor, but I never had any There wasn't ever any movie or show that I was like, Man, I love that. And and he did a show on Amazon called Goliath that I really really liked. Have you seen that? You need to watch it. It's really good three seasons, three seasons. First two seasons are really good. Third not as good. But anyways, Bad Sand is what I thought of, and that he's good in that, but like that's it's it's it's kind of a you know, it's it's a stupid comedy movie. It's funny, but like you know, it doesn't really show how good he is been. Anyways, we finished Landman last night, so I started going back and forth to some really good college basketball games. Kentucky ended up running away from Bandy, which was really what a lot of people probably expected. But then you have a great finish between Auburn and Arkansas. I mean that atmosphere there at Auburn, Cali Perry his team. I don't think they belong in the tournament. I don't think they're gonna make it, but Cal still has the factor of when he's in town, he's still a larger than life kind of presence in college basketball, and even if the stinks this year and next year, he's still going to be somebody that you know, he's a fixture within the sport because he's been He's been at it for a long time, and more often than not, he's had really really good teams like the whole Super Bowl kind of comment that he clearly you know that he runs with. I mean, it's true, and part of it is because he did coach at Kentucky, but also he was a factor to that as well. And I know recent you know, this year, there was clearly a big storyline within the entire sport of college basketball that Cal's and now at Arkansas in the same league as Kentucky and he's gonna go there and play, but like, let's be real, Kentucky, that was their toughest ticket to get in how many years, and cal came in with what one win an SEC play because he's that kind of guy. So they ended up falling short, but it was a great game. You see, Missouri. Just take it to Alabama and Dennis Gates by the way, they would n eighteen in league play last year in the SEC, and this year they are. I mean, they've got a chance. They finished strong, they could end up being like third or fourth in the SEC. So he's done a hell of a job. So I'm just gonna put it out there to see what the SEC has become in basketball in the last few years, and really considering where it was roughly a decade ago, not even I mean maybe not even that far back. I'm jealous. And the ACC being such a dog crap conference. That's also a factor in the jealousy because playing in a good basketball league makes it a lot of fun to where you can get lost in conference play and it's a roller coaster because you can get you can have an emotional week where you get two big wins. They really change how you're viewing your team on Selection Sunday, right, because there's wins there that can really change your situation. And then you have losses and they're never fun. You start to doubt your team a little bit, but you know what, it's losses in a really good league, so it doesn't really hurt you that much. I mean, I remember Rick Patino lost three straight games in the Big East in twenty thirteen before winning a national championship. Sure do, I mean Georgetown, Syracuse was it Nova too? I mean, those were the three and those were all quality teams that were probably top five seeds in the NAA Tournament that year. So you quick forget about that when you roll through whatever it was, four or five wins in a row after that. So, like, I'm jealous that that's now what the SEC is in basketball, and the ACC used to be that.
Speaker 2: And the Big East too. The Big East prepared you for March ball. Basketball absolutely played night in and night out, and the.
Speaker 4: ACC I mean, honestly, the Big East when it died, as far as you know what it once was, Bill, I don't think we'll ever see a league like that. I know everybody right now is claiming that the SEC is the best league of all time. And I can't say that right now as far as what's happening as we speak. That that's a crazy thing to say. But anybody who knows college basketball even a little bit, and a lot of people around here do you know a lot of people who talk about college basketball nationally rather be on ESPN, Fox, whatever, Like I don't I don't know why they with a straight face say this is the best season a conference has ever had, Like that's not a crazy thing to say as of now, meaning you know, like as of today, but we doesn't everybody remember how it works in college basketball. It's all about what you do in March. So like, if they get to the final four and there's not an SEC team there, nobody's gonna claim it was the best league ever. And that's kind of silly, right because it doesn't mean these teams weren't good. But that's just that's just how college basketball is. That's how it is. So it's always been, So I don't see the SEC slowing down at all. You know, Bruce Pearl, he could go to Indiana. Indiana could pay him what Auburn could pay him, But like, why would he the only the you know, the only, the only reason anybody in the SEC in basketball would leave their current job, meaning a good job and even jobs that you don't really consider great because of tradition. If you're in the SEC, they got a lot of money and it's a great league right now, and I don't see that changing. But like ten years ago, saying that the Auburn coach in basketball wouldn't leave Auburn to go to Indiana sounds insane. But things have changed and this is more about the SEC than it is Indiana. I'm just but Auburn always going to be a football school. Bruce Pearl will always be second in line as far as importance to Auburn because they're football school. It does help him that they suck in football now and he's doing great in basketball. But all it would take is like one Auburn football season where they're like ten and two, and he would clearly distance he would be. It'd still be a fan favorite, and they'd still support basketball. But football is just different. So, like you're we're now at a point where I'm looking at Virginia, a school that I don't know, Virginia and Syracuse. I mean wouldn't you say Austin that Virginia and Syracuse are good basketball jobs. I mean I think they are. I think they're really good job. I mean Syracuse is a little bit different because there their tradition is really just one guy, Jim Beheim. Virginia always been a solid program, and then Tony Bennett won AM a national championship, and Virginia clearly has resources to where if you can coach, you can win at a high level there. But if you are, you know, an up and coming coach, and you let's say you're Ben McCollum, who is a legend at the D two level, gets to Drake and in his first year at Drake, he's crushing it, and you start getting some phone calls from other jobs, like if you get the LSU job, because it's it's probably gonna open up if they fire Mat McMahon. I mean, an LSU, by the way, is a really good basketball job. So maybe that's not a good example. But let's say South Carolina, maybe they open up their job. I doubt they do, but if they did after two years, three years, whatever it is, imagine somebody turning down Virginia or Syracuse to go to South Caroline at a coach basketball. I mean, I'm giving you hypotheticals that may never we never, we may never get to a point where you're seeing a coach decide between those two schools. But I just cannot believe what the SEC is turned into in basketball. And if they end up flaming out in the tournament and they don't make a deep run and they don't have let's say they have no final for representation and one Elite eight team, I'll certainly say, well they were you know, they flamed out. We shouldn't be calling this the best league in the country, or the best league ever, or maybe the best league in the country. Let's say the Big Ten, the Big twelve have way more in the Lead eight than the SEC. I mean, clearly that's where you really prove what you are and what you can do. But it's still I mean, I'd be a delusional fool to sit here and say that that means that the SEC is a trash league in basketball, because it's not. And I don't see it. I mean, I don't see it slowing down. And I have a legitimate jealousy of the ride that it is to be an SEC basketball program right now, because you know, night and night out, you're in big games with a lot on the line, because if you win many, they could substantially change your seating because you just beat a top ten team on the road. So I think the ACC is gonna get better, I really do, but I don't know if it's gonna catch up with the SEC. And if it does, you know, people right now are probably thinking.
Speaker 3: You're an idiot.
Speaker 4: Don't you know about Duke in North Carolina? Yeah, but like that's old news man, Like Duke's still great and they're gonna be loaded with talent. But that's one team. It's one team, all right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm taking the bait whenever I engage with people who try to act like the ACC basketball fall off is like greatly exaggerated or or fake news. I mean, it's not at all. And using NC State's Final four run last year does not help your case and That's why I feel like I'm taking the bait, like they're setting me up to just, you know, argue over something that they don't even believe. So if you missed the beginning of the show, I'm jealous of the SEC's basketball rise, and I just I miss being a part of a conference that you know, had regular opportunities to get wins that really sort of impact how you feel about selection Sunday and we're just not there. But I said I would do this. Maybe i'll do it tomorrow since Austin won't be here, I'll make it a bigger part of the show being the ad for the current schools that are gonna hire coaches because the job's open, or jobs that aren't open yet but should be open, like for example, we know Virginia, Miami and Florida State are going to be looking for a new coach. I think Virginia Tech and Syracuse should be looking for a new coach. Not really sure if they will, but they should. And n C State maybe in worse shape than anybody in the ACC right now, I mean they're they're bad. Among probably four teams that I would say are the bottom of the of the of the league. Miami, Boston College, n C State is Yeah, there's everybody in the league other than three teams has at least five conference wins. N C State, Boston College, and Miami each have three, so they're tied for last place. And NC State's a mess and they really shouldn't think they're the one team out of those three that really has no business being as bad as they are. And Keats probably would have been fired mid season had he not gone to a Final four last year and that of course, you know, extended his contract all that kind of stuff, and I would I wouldn't be shocked if Keats is remembered as a guy when it comes to contracts, meaning you can't you know, you don't want to get Keats. I hate saying that because I like Kevin Keats. I think he's I think he's I think he's a better coach than what we're seeing right now. But it's just it's completely fallen apart. I mean, the Carolina who's having an awful season for their standard and really what the expectation was for them. I mean, they were just they could have named the score last night. Which are we getting trolled here when people continue to share North Carolina's resume. Are they trolling us? Meaning? Are they are they? Are they really acting as if Carolina should be considered for a spot in the tournament. I mean, there's sixteen and eleven overall, one in ten in quad one games, and they have a Quad three loss. I mean, I don't know how it's even Last night they won by a lot, but they also, you know, a team that's even worse than them. I mean, they won last night ninety seven to seventy three. It actually could have it was worse at times, so I guess since the state did make it not quite as ugly as it could have been. But I mean, Carolina, the fact that they're even being talked about as a bubble team is just sad. But maybe that just speaks to I guess you know where the bubble is, all right, it's coffee and Company. We are filled bout Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety made a mistake there during the break not to go get a bottle of water. I'll do that next time because I felt great today and I still feel good now. But you know I don't I've already talked in the last thirty minutes more than I have all day and get.
Speaker 5: Those waters a little bit more time to chill. Last time I got one was like an hour ago and someone had just put a bunch in and there was still kind of kind of warm.
Speaker 4: See, I can do. I can do room temperatures. When can do that, I wouldn't say rude, like I can do if it's not it doesn't have to be like ice cold. Put it that way, because at that point I can. I can eliminate a lot of water. If it's the colder it is, the harder it is for me to just you know, chuck it and it hurts my teeth. It's yeah, it's a little more. It's a little more satisfying. Whenever it's really really cold but slightly above room temperature, that's I wouldn't say that's perfect, but I can. I can handle it. All Right, we're getting pranked on the show and I it's not. I mean, I'll just I'll just tell you guys what's happening. Austin would probably be a He'll have to kind of run with it once I set it up as far as what's going on. But we have somebody that is getting reaching out to car dealerships across the city and inquiring about a car. They want to purchase a vehicle. And I think a lot of people listening understand that if you are somebody that sells cars for a living, you know, that's how you make your money. So if you know you've got somebody interested, you're going to pursue it like crazy. And like every day for the last two weeks almost yeah, we've had people calling into a hotline and Austin will answer it and they're looking for me, or maybe they're looking for some like you know, prank name, and they're they don't know they're calling a radio show. They think they're calling somebody who's interested in buying a vehicle. And I can't tell if this is like if they wanted it to get brought up on the air, then I guess they won. But I can't tell if this is clever and kind of funny or like really lame. Like for us, it's nothing, but I think for you to do that to car dealerships and mislead people who you know a sale is really how they make a living and provide for their family, Like it kind of makes you an a hole, to be honest with you, But I mean it's like every day now, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's at least been going on for like the last three weeks.
Speaker 4: I would say, maybe what do they get out of this?
Speaker 2: Three or four.
Speaker 5: Times a week, I'm answering the phone call and it's from a Chevy dealership, a Nissan, or today was alexis just looking for and they've been asking for you. And I know you had your car troubles Act during the summer, so.
Speaker 4: Initially you thought I was like looking for a vehicle, You're in the market. But why would I give them the number to call the show?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe I've always given you the benefit. I just may have thought, do.
Speaker 3: They add on?
Speaker 4: Sometimes they ask for me by name, sometimes they don't.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, it's about ninety percent of the time it was it's been you. Yesterday was Jerry Eves and today was asking for uh for not me, but asking for the tribal chief. Now people are listening know that I'm a big wrestling fan, and that's the moniker that Roman Reigns goes by.
Speaker 2: He's the tribal chief.
Speaker 4: Is he like one of your favorite wrestlers or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, he's he's He's my top he's probably probably.
Speaker 4: So today's today's call makes it seem as if like it's somebody that knows you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's now rounding out to where I think this is someone someone's got a leg up because they called asking for a t I know at is. My middle name is Tyler, by the way, so maybe they could just be saying that, but they they said it was, you know, because you're talking and the queue was kind of muffly. So I just heard I'm looking for the tribal chief and I'm like, tribal chief or you talk about you're talking about wrestling. She said, no, no, no, no, no, I'm talking about someone said to or we just got an inquiry or a lead in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're going online and saying call this number. These person wants to buy his call, call this number three and youth okay, So yeah, they're setting it because and you believe these are really people calling from dealerships. It's not us getting prank called.
Speaker 5: Yes, no, they sound like they're could because they sound just as confused when I say that this is a radio show and they're like huh, And this lady was pretty confused.
Speaker 4: But has any of them been angry?
Speaker 5: No, no, this this one was a little uh uh befuddled. I guess I would be too, because she said, I don't know why they just didn't give like a full first and last name.
Speaker 2: They gave a nickname.
Speaker 4: See that makes me sad, because I mean, I'm sure it's your job. You got to follow up in any lead. You get to make sure you don't miss out on a potential sale. And I'm sure you you're monitored by your your superiors to do that as far as you know your job. But I mean, what a waste of time and like calling a number cold call to ask for the tribal chief and then you find out it's a radio show and there's no tribal chief and you got god like, that's sad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's the only time I've ever been called tribal chief, So I'll let that one slide.
Speaker 2: But other than that, it's I.
Speaker 5: I got a good kick out of it because I laughed with her and she kind of laughed backed, and she said, yeah, it sounds like someone's definitely pulling your leg.
Speaker 4: Well again, what did they get out of this? A good laugh? It's a mean, I don't know, it's it's it's not cruel, it's not you know, it's it's certainly childish.
Speaker 2: It's a waste of time for like the dealership people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like if I and I would be terrible at selling cars. But if I was in the position of making the phone call and then learning that it was all a rib maybe if I'd been doing it a long time and I realize that that's a pretty common thing, maybe not for a radio show, but for somebody to you know, set somebody up to get called. I mean, maybe it's just another day at the office, because it happens a lot. But also like, I mean, you're wasting my time. And again I just whoever's doing it, I have a hard time thinking that they're not aware of how like, you know, I mean, I've never been in a position to where I have to sell something in order for me to like make a living. Thankfully, I've never had to do that. And when I say thankfully, I mean because I would be terrible at it. But like maybe sometimes they are descriptive about hey, call after three it's this guy named Nick Coffee or it's me and probably saying that they're me and I'm really interested in this nineteen or this two thousand and seven used BMW or Chevy Chevy Silverado. Like you may for a while think all right, well I got three hours until three. But man, this seems promising. I look this guy up, and you know, maybe he will buy the car for me and I can feed my family. Like like it's it's it's really childish and and I mean it's it's stupid. But I still think, look, people do. That's really the theme of this show, right, childish and stupid. So maybe maybe they just they're just trying to fit in, yeah, and be one of us, but also like you're you're looping in somebody that it's not nice in any way to mislead them and waste their time, especially when it's something that that they are. That's that's what they do, that's how they If they're not selling cars, they're not making money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just I'm I'm trying to see what the real end goal is for the people who are setting us up for this, Like what do they get out of it? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, hopefully I get a new car and not have to pay a lot. That would be pretty cool, you know what, mister tribal chief we bothered you too much. Here, your your Lexus is ready for you. Just come sign the papers Lexus.
Speaker 4: Those are beautiful vehicles.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 5: Also just had a text here a kind of going back to our last segment, a chef out the Cameron. He said his his dad makes beef jerky and the little packets, the aforementioned packets we are talking about there. It provides oxygen and helps keep the the jerky fresh. I know that there's reason then it's important. Yes, it makes sense to leave it taking it. The size of the jerky, yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean it is. As far as the visual, you clearly know it's not jerky. As far as when you're in the bag, you really don't know for sure until you till you pull out whatever whatever you're getting at the bottom of it.
Speaker 5: And I'm a car driver anyway, so I'm a left hand on the steering wheel, right hand on that McDonald's Big Mac. And if it's on that uh, if if I'm eating jerky, I'm looking towards road. It's just going all in my mouth. It's hand to mouth sometimes that could be. You can't do that with it.
Speaker 4: I can't eat and drive.
Speaker 2: It's a it's it's a talent.
Speaker 4: I mean I have eaten it even whenever I'm driving or I'm riding with somebody on a road trip and they're driving and and we stop and get food. I just it's it's never comfortable and I just feel gross eating in a car for some reason. And it's a me thing because look, a lot of people eat in the car. It's how they eat lunch every day.
Speaker 2: My best meals have come in the car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know what it is. I just I'm not big on eating in the car. But real quick, before we get to our next break from this whole prank that somebody's trying to pull to get people at car dealerships to call into the show thinking we want to buy a car, it reminded me of something I did and I don't think this. Well, I guess maybe this is me doing the same thing. So maybe this is where I now realized that what I did many many years ago to my brother in law was really childish and I wasted people's time too. So maybe what they just call this is karma, and I'm now realizing that again I did the same thing.
Speaker 2: So maybe they're just the phallic images on cars no.
Speaker 4: So this was probably I don't know, I think it was when me and my wife were engaged. We weren't married yet, so this was many years ago. We were getting ready to buy a house, so we were at Hobby Lobby and uh, getting just getting We furnished a one better apartment and we moved to a home. We needed more stuff, so we were at Hobby Lobby getting stuff and they had a sheet at the at the register that you could sign up for like their basket weaving class, and I put my brother in law's name and number and said he was interested in and coming in and being a part of the basket weaving class or like the arts and crafts class something like that. And sure enough, like they they they didn't take no for an answer for a while. I'm pretty sure he got called like three straight weeks like are you sure you're not interested because your name's here, and he was like, yeah, they did it as a joke. Well what's the joke we have We have a class tonight. You should come on out. And you know, that is a really silly it's a really silly, stupid thing, but you know the classes he did not. In fact, man, I'm just this. This is one of those things that reminds me how long I've been doing this whenever, And I'm glad somebody in the text line just sent this in because I totally forgot about this. There was you remember, whenever you would go to the bars and somebody would get like a VIP to where like, hey, you can you can avoid cover if you say you're on my list, and then like sometimes miss those days.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 4: That I know what you're talking I'm not sure they still do that or not.
Speaker 2: I never I'd never been.
Speaker 4: Fortunate, but like we had people who who had friends that worked at Tango, which is where we sit right now, or even sports and social that if they had a VIP and you said you were on their list, and you were on the list, then you could avoid cover. And I think sometimes you would get like a couple of drink tickets. Maybe I don't remember specifically what the real incentive was, but we were poor in twenty one twenty two to where if we just avoided cover, we felt like we won for the night. So they did that. I guess at PTS, the the Gentleman's Club here downtown, which I believe it's still open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's down there. I did a door to ash for there a few weeks again.
Speaker 4: And somebody kept putting us on the list for free cover at PTS on the text line so we would get it. So the text line would get an automated text from like pt saying Hey, you know, it's something they send to everybody who I guess had signed up and got some kind of like you know, basically just a reminder, Hey, we want you to come and spend money to night, so we're gonna let you in for free.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But it was just an automated text that would come in like every Friday on the text line, Hey, you're signed up, you can bring you and ten guests to come in free.
Speaker 2: And I had sports and social does and.
Speaker 4: I would talk about it on the show, and sure enough, the GM at the time of PTS listened to the show and he reached out and we were working on doing some type of promotion where you know, all I know is that it was one of the first times from just talking about something on the show. This was early early Nick Coffee. iHeart media days. We're talking twenty sixteen, when I was in Middays probably within the first four months of being on the job when all this happened, and I'm thinking, here we go, like this could be a good endorsement deal. We've got clients that want to be a part of it. And then I realized, like that kind of client needs to go up the ladder or the poll. No pun intended to like for somebody to give it the green light. If that's something that we need, we can do. And the person at the time who was in charge of that decision for programming, it's the it's the it's it's the guy before Gus and the guy before Josh, so as long before you were around. In fact, this guy may have left not long after he hired me, but he said, no, we will not be promoting any any adult entertainment establishments on Sports Talk seven ninety You. Honestly, I think at the time we were still Cards Radio. We had the partnership with you of Elda where we probably they probably didn't, you know, and then timing probably wasn't great to, you know, start a campaign with a strip joint whenever. Right at the time, we were covering the Katina pal scandal, so I get it they shut us down, but uh. You know, just radio can give you fun stories like that. All right, let's get to a break. We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery taking you up till six o'clock right here on Sports Talks ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, we were wrapping up the three o'clock hour here on a Thursday afternoon. Coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's Nick Coffee. The tribal chief alongside, does that right? Got I say it right? Yes, of course you did, just making sure you put the ones up when you do it too. So is that what Roman reigns does.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's his. It's not a signal.
Speaker 4: He's not the trivel chief anymore you are, Nope. So just he needs to be made aware of that. I'll let y'all let you tell him.
Speaker 5: I need the Ulufala. That's the flower of the city. The where it's it's called the ulafala, Okay, it's It signifies a real tribal chief, the real head of the table, the real uh uh orator of a tribe, if you.
Speaker 2: May it's got like, we'll take your word for it.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 2: So what they tell me in wwe at least to be real.
Speaker 4: One thing I wanted to mention before we get to the top of the hour here, uh. Mayor Greenberg announced earlier today the developmental agreement, a development agreement, I should say, for the Louis of Gardens. The Louis of Gardens is actually just like a block over from where we are, and it's been a dump for a long time. I know Will Clark when he was with us here at eight forty BHAs maybe a couple of years ago, he did a story on sort of what that space is now, how it's I mean, it's it's a dump. It's falling apart. It was used for like storage for city property. I guess for a while. I don't know what it is as we speak, but they're going to allocate ten million dollars of General Assembly funding towards the project, which it's gonna be a Louis of Gardens sound Stages, which is going to create new jobs as they repurposed this vacant building. But I mean, there's so much history in the Louis of Gardens and this this is going to give downtown, I think, a really really good, you know, good sized venue that we just don't have. I mean, obviously you can. You can. You can go to just down the block here at the Palace in Mercury Ballroom, and I've been to some really good shows at Mercury, but that's not you know, that's like you can't have like sporting events there. I mean the gardens. I mean, maybe they won't renovate it to where it could be used for like wrestling events or basketball. I mean, I played my last high school basketball game was in the Louisville Gardens in the sixth Region tournament. And I believe that could be wrong, but I believe that was the last year that they used the gardens for the six and seven three tournaments. I could be wrong. Maybe they did it a year later. Maybe they did the l I t a year later too, But that year the lt was at the gardens and the regional tournaments were at the gardens, and it was perfect for that, right, Like if you put it at Bellerman or Valley where they have it now, that's fine, but like the gardens gives you that intimate I mean, it's in arena, or at least you know it was. I mean I remember coming out of the locker room feeling like I wasn't in some public school system locker room. I was in a locker room where like, you know, the talent is the performers, the entertainers. I mean, that's where the Kentucky Colonel played back in the day. So there's been a lot of talk about this for quite some time, but it sounds like there's real movement here to get this historic venue back in shape. And you know, I'm somebody that is in the age range to where like if it is a thriving spot where you can go see a concert or maybe go see I mean, let me give you an example, Austin, you're a wrestling guy, right, that's your lane. If if if Impact wrestling or maybe even a w came to Louisville and they went to the gardens, that would be a big deal, you know, because there's been historic wrestling that's taken place.
Speaker 2: There Tuesday Night in the garden.
Speaker 4: I remember learning at a young age that they're, oh, you're telling me there's actually wrestling that goes on on days when it's not on TV, like Monday night raw or SmackDown. You know, they're on the road every day of the year, at least they were back then. And I remember it wasn't on television, but somebody got video of Stone Cold coming out of the gardens and chugging beers and he's think he might have stunt the undertaker, which I don't remember if that was who it was, but like it was a big deal. And you know, I've always said that there's as far as like the venue size for certain events, it's so crucial because the Yump Center is just too big for certain things that would get a draw that could be a great atmosphere and experience, but in a twenty two thousand seed arena, like you need to fill it or come close to filling it, or maybe get fifteen plus for it to even look like it was a decent showing. And that just like the size of a venue can have so much of an impact on the atmosphere for everybody involved, from the performers, from the fans that are there. And I just think the best decent sized venue we have for concerts sports is broad Been Arena at the Fairgrounds. But like doing anything at the Fairgrounds is a pain in the ass so like we had a dam. I mean, it would be so good for downtown to have that space renovated where you can have different types of concerts there. And I just think it's really cool to see that they're actually going. You know, been a rough week for us to find out that the Young Brands is leaving Louisville for the most part corporate jobs and all that. I mean, that's that's not great, but that is some good news for downtown that they are moving forward. It's going to be a seventy million dollar multipurpose sound stage development, and there's a lot of things that you can do there. I mean, looking I'm reading here from the press release at louisvilleky dot gov. This is a quote from Mary Greenberg. As Louisville's burgeoning film industry continues to grow to the louisvill Gardens sound stages will be the perfect venue for production companies looking for a new, world class space to make film, TV shows, commercials, and more. This project creates jobs, repurposes historic vacant building, and adds to the great momentum we're experiencing right in downtown levels. So maybe it's more so for that kind of stuff than it is about concerts. But again that you could still they could do a lot of stuff there. I mean, yeah, there are venues that really you would like in that space. Meaning I don't mean like that actual space specifically, I mean more in that I guess what I meant to say is in that industry, like if you have a venue where people could host events, like there's a wide range of different types of events that you could actually use your space for. And that's how you that's how you make money. That's how it becomes a big, a big venue. I mean I've gone to certain places in different cities where one time I went it was for a it was for a basketball event. The next time I went it was for you know, an intimate concert, that kind of stuff. So anyways, we got one hour in the books, two more to go. Stick with us. We will certainly try to finish strong. We're gonna give it our best effort in these next two hours, so stick around. It's coffee and company fuel by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety