Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. I was in the mood to give away some tickets. Get it?
Speaker 2: How about a pair of tickets to this weekend's Chargers Titans game at SOFI Stadium. Fall means football at Sofi, So you can join the celebration with the Chargers Salute to Service this Sunday against the Titans. You could score your seats at Chargers dot com slash tickets or b caller number six at one eight hundred five two zero one five three four eight hundred five too oho one KFI Caller number six is going to pick up two tickets to this weekend's game Chargers Titans. Who of course, you can listen to all the games on all ninety eight seven Go Bolts.
Speaker 1: What else is going on? Time four? What's happening? Well, of course, what is happening is.
Speaker 3: Wanter damage, fire damage, burglary called public adjuster abner gas eight one eight nine one seven five two five six.
Speaker 2: Hey, by the way, if tomorrow you do that, I encourage everyone to raz.
Speaker 1: You for a direction. I do it every day I know, so why would tomorrow be any stupidly placed thing I've ever heard in my life? Anyway, what's going on today is this fire. It is a monster. It has exploded to what'd you say, more than nineteen thousand acres what cal fire says. Blake Trolley from KFI News is on this and joins us now and Blake, it seems like well Channel seven had at about eighty three homes lost as of this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no actual amount of homes loss, So I'm guessing what these news companies, they've gone out and kind of done their own surveys. We were just told in our latest press briefing that officials are still collecting that information. They're sending ten teams into these neighborhoods to look at this damage, to assess this damage, and to come back with a number. They say they want to be thorough because they want to get this right the first time. So I have seen some of those numbers. I've seen numbers like fifty you just mentioned, more than eighty. My guess is these are aerial surveys that the news come copanies are doing. But keep in mind, the officials have yet to put out a number on the number of homes lost. What they have put a number out on is the acreage. Now, some potentially decent news I guess you could say with this fire is that the growth of this fire. Keep in mind, it went from fourteen hundred acres to fourteen thousand acres yesterday. That's a multiplication, of course, of ten times its size. For us A journalists, wo are bad at math. And you know last night it only grew by a few hundred acres, So it grew massively yesterday, but last night it only went from about fourteen two hundred acres to about fourteen thousand, five hundred acres.
Speaker 1: And I'm guessing what that is.
Speaker 3: They didn't say this explicitly, but one of the things that they highlighted in this news conference we just had with officials is that they were able to run helicopters all night. And this is usually an issue when you've got these types of winds of wind events, these can really impact those aircraft. And they say, last night, unusually they were able to have a tankers doing drops all night, and they said, this fire is responding to those and really slowing down. As far as the fire's movement, goes. This fire is moving to the northwest, with the community of Santa Paula kind of being the most impacted right now. As for how it's moving, we're told it's moving in kind of a mixed topography, an area where there's a lot of ranch style homes, a lot of hillside but that it does have potential to slide into some areas that are more populated.
Speaker 2: What are we looking at, weather condition wise out there right now. I mean, we had heard that the red flag conditions are going to stick around through this evening, but what does it feel like out there now exactly?
Speaker 3: And one thing that we should note about those red flag conditions that you're talking about there, Gary, is that yesterday they said these were extreme red flag conditions and they've been really lowered back down to more of a typical red flag condition and those are supposed to stick around with us till about six pm tomorrow. Then winds are supposed to be relatively light throughout the weekend. But you know, firefighters are going to really have a window because they're eyeing potential more wind activity that could kick up early next week. So they say they're trying to get ahead of this. They're also trying to be prepared for a potential other event or you know, any sort of flare ups that could come early next week.
Speaker 1: All right, Blake trolley out there near the fire lines. Thanks man. All right, guys.
Speaker 2: The other big story nationally today is the Fed Reserve approved its second consecutive interest rate cut.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 4: The FMC decided to take another step in reducing the degree of policy restraint by lowering our policy interest rate by a quarter percentage point.
Speaker 2: In quick trivia question, what does he mean when he says the FOMC.
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: The Federal Open Market Committee lowered its benchmark overnight borrowing rate by a quarter percentage point twenty five basis points to a target range now of four and a half to four and three quarter percent. This rate sets what banks will charge each other for overnight lending, but can influence other consumer debt things like mortgages, credit cards, auto loans as well. If you missed it, man, you missed a barn burner of a speech from Jerome Powell.
Speaker 4: In the near term, the election will have no effects on our policy decisions. As you know, many many things affect the economy, and anyone who writes down forecasts in their job will tell you that the economy is quite difficult the forecast looking out past the very near term.
Speaker 2: But this was not an unexpected In fact, it was a very expected move this quarter point, which telegraphed both at the September meeting and in some of the follow up remarks from policymakers that they've been talking since then. So this vote was hunanimous, hunanimous, unanimous, Unlike the previous move that saw the first no vote from a FED governor since two thousand and five. Michelle Bowman was the one who voted no last time. She instead went along with the decision today. So the statement came out and reflected a few tweaks in how the FED views the economy, as he was referring to there an altered view, and how it assesses the effort to bring down while trying to support the labor market.
Speaker 1: Wasn't there a movie where a bunch of monkeys escaped? Go on, I don't. I didn't see the movie, but it sounds familiar. I'm sure you saw the movie. Did the monkeys take us over?
Speaker 2: No, they just are infected with ebola? Oh and then they kill all of us. Outbreak, outbreak. Dustin Hoffman Rene Russo, Morgan Freeman, Donald Sutherland, Kuba Gooding Junior, Kevin Spacey, Patrick Dempsey.
Speaker 1: Quite a cast. What's the premise nineteen ninety five? Uh there, let's what is it about.
Speaker 2: A virologist for the United States is investigating an outbreak of motaba, the deadly fever in Zayere wiped out an entire village.
Speaker 1: This guy and his crew get information. Uh.
Speaker 2: It turns out that one of the capuchin monkeys that is to host the virus is smug into the country, and a worker at a California animal lab is infected when he steals the monkey. On and on and on. I think it was, if I'm not mistaken, filmed up in Ferndale, Ferndale along the coast northern California.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: It's basically, it's an ebola like thing that gets out and the government has to swoop in and they may drop a nuclear weapon on that little town to prevent this thing from getting out of control.
Speaker 1: So that's what they do, or we don't know. I don't know. I never finished the movie.
Speaker 2: Well I did, of course, I know what happens. So what happens I gotta tell you. Watch the movie I'm not going to watch Outbreak from nineteen ninety five about the monkeys.
Speaker 1: It's a good movie, Is it really Okay? Maybe I'll watch it. A police search is underway right now in real life. Forty monkeys have escaped from a research facility in South Carolina last night. They escaped from Alpha Genesis, a business that provides non human primate products and bio research services. This sounds like when Ellwood's dog Bruiser wanted to track down his mom and they found him in a puppy research plant. Bruiser's mom was having experiments done on her and they had to break out Bruiser's mom. How do you do you know how they did it? This isn't Legally Blonde two that I never saw you did it? It's a great movie, sure it is. I'm not going to tell you how it ends because I don't want to spoil it. Is there a Thermo Barrack bomb involved? Possibly? Is the government called in? Yes, yes, I saw that coming, but I bet you didn't know who a member of the government is John Voight. The company works with monkeys to carry out clinical trials, including on brain disease disorder treatments, has one of the most one of the largest and most comprehensive non human primate facilities, specifically for monkeys. I say yay to these monkeys. I say yay to these monkeys. However, we don't know, unfortunately, about the escaped monkeys. We don't know whether they were exposed to any diseases. And alpha genesis is Mum's the word. They're not talking to anybody about what these monkeys were. You're making a joke. But these could be diseased monkeys. I know that.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm saying it. That should be a concern.
Speaker 1: I hope they make their way here. I hope they make their their way all the way across the great Land and start to getting rid of some of these people. Who who's on your list? Who's on my list? Don't get me to incriminate myself and have a record of.
Speaker 2: It, Jacob, we're rolling on this right. Go ahead, tell us what's on your list? Also, have you ever go on, go ahead? Have you ever heard that whole of the old adage that a million monkeys typing on a million typewriters for infinity would eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare? No, you've never heard that, no, just I guess it's a way to describe that at some point chaos becomes the norm.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's even the right way to put it.
Speaker 2: But there was a research team to figure out could a monkey eventually type out the works of Shakespeare if they had an infinite amount of time. A researcher by the name of Stephen Woodcock, Professor Stephen Woodcock and J. Fletta from the University of Technology in Sydney set out to mathematically examine the infinite monkey theorem.
Speaker 1: Consists.
Speaker 2: They said that considers the infinite limit whether an infinite number of monkeys on an infinite time period of monkey labor. They said that they examined the probability of a given string of letters being typed by a finite number of monkeys within a finite time period consistent with the estimates for the lifespan of the universe.
Speaker 1: The theorem can be generalized to state that any sequence of events that has a non zero probability of happening will almost certainly occur an infinite number of times given an infinite amount of time or a universe that is infinite in size.
Speaker 2: My head hurts, they said, the universe would long end before any group of monkeys could bang out even one Shakespearean play by accident.
Speaker 1: They said, consider the probability of typing the word banana on a typewriter with fifty keys. Suppose that the keys are pressed randomly and independently, meaning that each key has an equal chance of being pressed, regardless of what keys have been pressed previously. I call this my roulette theory. I bet on thirty two, it hits. You know what I bet on next time? Thirty two. It's got just as much probability as the next time. That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Steven jobs his lottery numbers when when the California lottery.
Speaker 1: Was run two three, four, five six exactly right, same probability, they said.
Speaker 2: One chimp typing on a thirty key keyboard would have a five percent chance of writing the word bananas within their lifetime.
Speaker 1: Pretty crazy, All right, this is crazy. This is crazy, isn't it craz You've got to go into a meeting right now? Who going to do? Fruitfly News and Orange County? Oh strange, sad? Prof going on. We've got a new record achieved from Mount Fuji, and I'll tell you why that matters. Let's revisit our emperor penguin, shall we?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Let's do it? Oh so also also also also the largest terror bird ever found.
Speaker 2: Another chance for a couple of tickets to this weekend's Chargers game.
Speaker 1: We'll tell you how you can win them. Did you know that Jupiter has no surface? Your face has no surface? Your face sucks strong? Comeback? All right, it's time for strange science. Strange it's like weird science, but strange. Well, let me start with the invasive fruit fly in Orange County. Cities of Santa Anna and Garden Grove have been placed under quarantine in light of the uninvited and unwelcome visitor, the Oriental fruit fly. Well, that's racist, an invasive pest that attacks over three hundred excuse me, two hundred and thirty crops, including fruits, nuts, and vegetables.
Speaker 2: It feels like has this been a problem in California forever? Because I feel like when I was a kid, I remember hearing about fruit flies. Yeah, and fruitfl like quarantines and signs and checkpoints and all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: So residents living in the quarantine zones can prevent the spread by not moving those crops from their property. They can consume or process their homegrown protuce if it hasn't been contaminated. But if you want to dispose of it, double bag it and place it into the regular trash, not the green waste bin. The quarantine zone in Orange County is eighty seven square miles, bordered on the north by Anaheim, on the south by John Wayne, on the west by Huntington Beach, and on the east by the fifty.
Speaker 2: Five Quick technological question for you, Yeah, do you know what most satellites are made of?
Speaker 1: It's funny because you know, I'm really used to people coming to me with tech questions, right, It's just I'm like the go to for that that category of inquiry, and i gotta say, I'm stumped on this one.
Speaker 2: So satellite metallurgy is not your thing. No, not my wheelhouse. Aluminum satellites are made with aluminum, which can be a problem when they burn up in the atmosphere at the end of their lives because they generate aluminum oxides that can alter our thermal balance here on Earth and damage the protective bozone layer.
Speaker 1: So that's fascinating.
Speaker 2: A scientist at Kyoto University has developed the world's first wooden satellite, which almost sounds like a steampunk case play thing, but it was. They developed this Ligno sat with Sumitomo Forestry.
Speaker 1: All of this should be in Space Wars.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a board a SpaceX Dragon capsule or is actually on his way now to the ISS. It's about four inches on each side, little cube, but it could end up having a big impact on spaceflight and exploration down the road.
Speaker 1: I've been meaning to tell you this. Did you hear that a new Star Wars trilogy is in the works.
Speaker 2: I'm not happy with any of the words you just spoke, really why he likes Star Wars?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they did you want to hear the rest? Lucasfilm has tapped Simon Kinberg to write and produce a new saga of films. Kinberg co created the hit animated series Star Wars Rebels and served as a consultant on The Force Awakens. It comes as other Star Wars projects remain in development from filmmakers including Donald Glover, Taiko Watiti, and James Mangold. How much Star Wars do we need? That's my point. It's like you're cheapening the original stuff, preach. I mean, it was perfect the way it was, Why add more to it? It's kind of like a wedding gown, right, beautiful classic. Keana's wedding gown was perfect classic. If I took, you know, a sequined shawl and put it over Keana's wedding gown, her classic, beautiful wedding gown, it would cheapen the whole look. And then if I threw on some ruby slippers or something. That's what they're doing to Star Wars. You're taking the Yeah, you're taking away by adding Wait, I have a dark shirt. I was gonna wear it. I think I'm nor my Luche door sweatshirt.
Speaker 2: I don't have a Lucur sweatshirt, but I do have a luchaor T shirt, so I think I'm gonna wear that underneath.
Speaker 1: Okay, we could have probably talked about that off the air. You know. Tell me about these Tell me about the dogs. One hundred over one hundred invasive lizards the size of dogs have been reported throughout South Carolina and are destroying the local ecosystem. Oh my gosh, They've got the monkeys on the loose, forty of them, and now we've got one hundred lizards the size of dogs. It's called the Argentine black and white tagu. It's been causing havoc. The lizard can grow up to four feet long, and it's distinguished by its spotted scales and appetite, voracious appetite. It eats about everything in sight, just like you, and it needs me too. No, No, I eat everything instead. You do. I get jokes. You do. I get jokes only because you're not a waste.
Speaker 2: Did you know that South Carolina has a state herpetologist, Oh, Andrew Gross.
Speaker 1: You know him. Yeah, I didn't realize that. He said.
Speaker 2: There's so far no evidence that these lizards have been breeding. They're primarily being kept as pets.
Speaker 1: They said.
Speaker 2: About seventy nine thousand of these things have been imported to the United States in twenty the decade that ended in twenty ten. Many of the ones originally spotted in twenty twenty were either released or had escaped from their captivity, so thirty two confirmed sightings around around seventeen different counties. Twenty nine of these were the black and white Take you, yeah, Andrew.
Speaker 1: Has been the herpetologist there since I think July of twenty eighteen. Why do you know that? Well?
Speaker 2: Are you related to the state herpetologist in South Carolina.
Speaker 1: I just feel like it's kind of common knowledge. I don't know why it wouldn't be in your purview.
Speaker 2: The planet Jupiter has no solid ground, no surface, no grass, no dirt, nothing to walk on, no place to land, to spaceship. But how does how how does it stay together?
Speaker 1: Chemicals? Gas is.
Speaker 2: Jupiter fife the largest planet in the Solar System, big enough for more than one thousand earths to fit inside room to spare.
Speaker 1: It's got a mostly hydrogen and helium atmosphere. Yeah, but there's how do you get.
Speaker 2: I guess As the layers of the gas above you push down more and more.
Speaker 1: It's like being at the bottom of the ocean.
Speaker 2: Instead of water, though you're surrounded by gas, and the pressure has becomes so in tense the human body would implode.
Speaker 1: You would be squished.
Speaker 2: I would like to go to Jupiter, go down a thousand miles and the hot, dense gas begins to behave Strangely, eventually, the gas turns into a form of liquid hydrogen, creating what can be thought of as the largest ocean in the Solar System, although it's an ocean without any water.
Speaker 1: New research shows that animals become less social as they age, just like people. I could see that animal's nature is to isolate as they age. You know. That's a Yeah, that's a sad thing. It's a sad thing to watch when pets start hiding because they're going to die soon. Yeah. You know you've been kind of mia recently. You've isolated yourself around here quite a bit.
Speaker 2: From whom there's no one here to isolate myself from.
Speaker 1: That's true. I'm the one who sits. I sit out there in the wide open room begging for people to come by, Okay, and then oh no, not yet. No, we need to talk about the penguin. How did the penguin get from Antarctica to Australia.
Speaker 2: Penguins can swim. They can't fly, No, but penguins can swim. That's a long How far is that?
Speaker 1: Actually? I have no idea all to google it. You're just gonna leave me out here hanging in the wind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm waiting to see what's gonna happen. Is this one of those things you're gonna have to find out and then tell us tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Australia is one of the countries that's closest to Antarctica. Okay, so however our Gentina, Chile, and New Zealand are closer. The actual distance is five ninety seven miles. There you go. That's for a penguin to swim five thousand miles.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, we're live luchad Or Brewing in Gino Hills, coming out and say hi.
Speaker 1: We'll be there from nine am until one pm.
Speaker 2: And among other things, giving away tickets to the Hops in the Hills event which is coming up on Saturday. But we have a bunch of Gary and Shannon Show stuff that we're gonna be given away. They have breakfast burritos, so you can come hungry and.
Speaker 1: And thirsty if you will. Don't stay hungry places, stay hungry before well for you know, fun and excitement. Yeah, hungry for fun and an excitement. All right, Drive safe, you drive safe.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app