Speaker 1: You know he like a dummy bit. It's the internet. You're busy. Let's do this for August first, twenty twenty four. That's I was like, wait August, and then I couldn't get first out for the next hour or so. Let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mess Mornings Live with Me Jeff Grubb today. Oh no, it's Agust. But first please join me and welcoming today's co host the Game Mess Mornings. It's Jan to show everybody, Jan, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling great. Last time I was on Gay Mess Mornings was a Monday, and I felt very discombobulated, not weird and work at all. I have been looking forward to taking a nap since then, and I have not taken it taken a nap. So I'm gonna I'm gonna go onto my schedule and put it on asana. I'm gonna take a nap.
Speaker 1: That sounds good. Idea. You got to ye. If you put in sona, you can do whatever, like as long as it's in there, like people can't argue.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put on the game spot us on it to snap, okay, stand back everyone, threat or anything.
Speaker 1: It's just a declaration. It's it's a power move everyone. It is commanding the universe to let you nap. Absolutely, I'm proud of you. You should go take a nap. You earned it. Absolutely Glad you're back though, you're We're back in the swing of things over here. Uh. And then immediately we got more stuff happening later this month. It's just gonna kind of be non stop, so we'll get out of the circa things once again as well. Uh. But yeah, I'm feeling pretty good over here. I uh yeah.
Speaker 2: The Giant Bomb team is in high demand.
Speaker 1: High demands travelers. Uh huh people. Uh, people are asking for us by name. Yes, walk into a room and no one really looks up, but you can feel the vibe shift. You could feel it.
Speaker 2: I'm convinced people don't know my name. But when I also get addressed in an email, I'm like, oh, that's me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. When I show up and they have lighters, I'm like, they got these from me, they knew I was coming. That's only for you, grub, That's only for me. Absolutely. I did check. Today's the first day you could check to see how many hours you spent a Nintendo World Championship any eth edition, because this switch is kind of a weird bad system in some ways. And it's fifty hours five zero. I've spent fifty hours in that game came out. That's like twenty five hours a week or something like that. Yeah, I like that game. I like it quite a bit. By the time I was done with astros like eight speed run challenges, I had spent like eighty or ninety hours. I think that shows the power of leader boards. Had this game had leaderboards, that number would be higher, without a doubt, Mummy, Yes, oh boy, I'm a broken toilet of a man. That's right, our wolves, I don't know. Let's just get into this one, everybody. Let's just do this and explain what we do here most weekdays. I Jeff Grubb. It will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome, you can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube, All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Bungee announces mass layoffs less than two months after Destiny to the Final Shapes launch. This comes from Eddie mccuitt game Spot. We talked about this a little bit yesterday, but let's get into it and kind of try to answer as many questions as we possibly can. But let's recap first here from Eddie. Destiny developer Bungee has announced a significant round of layoffs and what is just the latest example of a major studio cutting hundreds of jobs. The company also revealed a brand new game, but it will no longer be developed internally and is shifting to a new internal studio at PlayStation. In a blog post, Bungee executive Pete Parsons confirm the company as cutting about seventeen percent of its workforce, or around two hundred and twenty people. Late last year, Bungie had a round of layoffs affecting more than one hundred people due to rising costs of development and industry shifts, as well as enduring economic conditions. It has become clear that we need to make substantial changes to our cost structure, and folks development efforts entirely on Destiny and Marathon a key one there. Everybody will talk about that here in a second, the executive said, layoffs are happening at every level of Bungie. And if you go on Twitter and you see people from Bunge's talking about getting laid off, it's from every studio across the board. No one was spared. Basically, it's that rough. And that's seventeen percent numbers. Gen Like, when we talk about these layoffs throughout this year, it's been five to eight percent. Bungee already had around a layoffs last October, so to have another seventeen percent cut, they are making deep cuts at Bungie. It is going to be a completely different company after all is said and done. But let's get into some of these details. Pete Parsons was talking there because Pete Parsons is not leaving. That is the CEO of Bungie, and to say he's disliked seems like at this point a little bit of an understatement. The response to him on Twitter from former Bungie employees, people who had already left and people who were likely laid off in the last round. They mostly hate this guy and they blame him, and they think it's mostly his fault. Do you think that a new Bungee can emerge while still under Pete Parsons in any way wholeheartedly?
Speaker 2: No, nothing with confidence or any sense of longevity to the team. I would feel, you know, I think as a fledgling new developer breaking into the scene, having Bungee on your resume is going to be incredibly impressive. I just don't know how long that sentence would be honestly under Pete Parsons, because you know, I feel like Destiny too made him massive swing back into the audience's like positive side and the good side. And only to hear this immediate, not immediately, but like a couple of weeks after that DLC dropped has got to be gutting. Especially it's hard to be a Destiny fan on top of staying on top of all the lore and whatever is happening constantly in that game. Content lately far and few between, especially substantial content that hits with majority of the audience and brings any laps players back into Destiny. Have you seen grub the I think I saw this posted by some ex bungee folk. The car auctions I.
Speaker 1: Saw, I saw a little bit of this. The number I saw it was like potentially up to two point three billion or millions. You'd be million dollars in classic car auction wins just by Pete Parsons.
Speaker 2: Just by Pete Parsons. Yes, Yeah, And if a CEO is I don't know parsons other investments, if he has any or his other projects, or is what his bank account, But if a CEO is making that much money to be participating in fancy used old car auctions, I think the problem doesn't lie at the bottom line that he is cutting and cutting lies at the top. And this is the pattern we've seen, like across the board with majority of these layoffs right grub Like the people at the top, the CEOs whatever, sweet people don't want to take the accountability that any of anything underperforming or being too costly is on their part. It's always the problem is always the people that are actually making the games, which does not make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially in this case where you know a lot of that money for Pete Parsons likely came from selling to Sony in the first place, where you know he had a huge steak in Bungee likely and was able to get. I don't know. It would have surprised me if his compensation alone was five hundred million dollars or something like that. As part of that deal or something like that could be that high. So he's got a lot of money sitting around that he's going to spend on and that stuff whatever. But when he made that deal, he was making promises on behalf of all of Bungie and put them in a situation that led to this. This is all due to him being like, we can meet these demands from Sony that we need to make in order to maintain our independence, which was not just important to him, it was important to ever win at Bungee. That's why everyone kind of went along with it, because they were going to be able to maintain their independence, and the only way they wouldn't be able to do that is if they had some sort of catastropticostrophic failure or the numbers the initial numbers were too high, and frankly, they just they promised too much. Because Destiny too was in a situation where it can have success. It had success, Lightfall did pretty well, and then the final shit is critically beloved. People thought this is the best Destiny two's ever been. But if you look at the numbers, like I put a chart here at the bottom of this story jam from steam dB, which is you could see that Lightfall came out in like what was that's around early twenty twenty three, and the number of concurrent users on Steam peaked and then we see just now at this d mark here either the one the image you're looking at jen is when the final shape came out, and it's about as high as Lightfall. It's basically right in line they got. They had the same performance in the market as Lightfall, and it's like, yeah, they have the players that are playing are playing Destiny now and they did not shape this game in anything in any real way to be like, this is a relaunch, This is going to be an onboarding event for new people to come in. This is paying off a year's long event. This is the culmination of ten years of storytelling and all that stuff. It is going to be very hard to attract new players at that time. And this is when they needed to be growing to be able to keep up with their with the deal that they made with Sony. So when you have six hundred people, and you know, once you did have pretty decent compensation, like pretty generous compensation packages relatively compared to the rest of the industry. And then you spend four more months on the final shape compared to what you spend on Lightfall, and then you get the same performance, and really it's kind of a little bit worse because it is declining faster than what Life Ball did in terms of concurrent players. You could see that. It's like it's a recipe for this sort of thing. And after you know, keeping the right people, which is something that Pete Parsons said to employees last time during the last round of layoffs, and then they come out and make a great game and it performs in line with what the expectations should have been, and then everyone gets laid off because they didn't do something magical. That is clearly mismanagement by Pete Parsons and the whole executive leadership team. So and now, to be fair, people on the leadership team are getting laid off. There are like the chief business officer, there's a handful of people from the c suite level that are getting laid off. It's just not Pete Parsons, and that's why people are like, step down, Pete, you should just resign. And I don't think it's out of the question because BUNGHI is moving under PlayStation Studios and maybe once that transition happens, Sony will cut him. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I either way, if when Pete Parsons leaves, the sore spot for me is that he's going to get a generous package as he exits the company. Either way, whether he gets cut from Sony or PlayStation from a top level or he decides to leave on his own accord, he's going to have a generous compensation package as he exits, despite gutting the company and like you know, displacing hundreds of people and now especially across the board in different levels of Bungee, right, Like I hate whenever we have a massive round of layoffs, just seeing people pop up on Twitter saying like I've been at this company for X amount of years and you see like the loyalty from like those employees. You see how much working at Bungee, working at X Studio meant to them, only for the rugs to get pulled underneath them, like and it absolutely stinks.
Speaker 1: Grub Yep.
Speaker 2: It's great to see that Destiny Too is able to like reach that same number of players, but like the drop off is so immediate, and you know, like maybe pouring those same people if you didn't let them go, could sustain that player count for an extended period of time. But I feel like the Destiny Too audience is just going to keep coming back for like maybe a big event like this, and then drop off immediately. And I don't know if like those spikes are going to keep Destiny Too healthy or even if that playership there is to translate eventually to Marathon. And now I worry about Marathon's launch as a whole.
Speaker 1: Yep. And uh, you know, clearly we like the thing that can get new players in is something like a Destiny three. But let's let's talk about that that quote from Pete Parsons where it's let's see what at the end there, we need to focus development efforts entirely on Destiny and Marathon. So what does that mean? Well, basically, they are going to continue working on Marathon and Destiny Too. They're going to keep making new content for Destiny Too. Now when it comes to Destiny to the expectation, uh, I believe internally is that the future content will be lighter, smaller, to take less time than what the final shape did, require fewer people, so there will be expansions and updates, but they will be sort of not a shell of their former selves, but they could. They'll definitely have that vibe about them. And then Marathon, Yeah, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: That's definitely not what the any two audience wants. There has been conditioned to expect. Do they know, are they waiting for things to blow up in their face?
Speaker 1: Scrub it? I mean, I don't know. I feel like they're in that one of those rocks and hard places where they feel like they don't have enough to like start something new and to and they feel like they have to make money now and to like shift like they are not ready to go to Destiny three. We'll talk about it more here in a second, but they are not ready to do that. And so it's like it's got to be on Marathon. That's still years away, but they are gonna get working on that. That's the next big release that they're hoping will hit. So got a lot's riding on that, and you feel like things could blow up in their face when it comes to that if it doesn't go the right way. Now, Bunch's still a very talented team. They still will have a lot of talented people there, but morale's got to be low. And believing that Marathon is the answer to all their problems is likely something that no one there actually believed. So yeah, destiny to continuing to go, probably starting up some some new seasons or whatever, and and and being being the primary going concern is is going to be number one? And then Marathon being right there having a lot of people working on that now, uh there. It was that third game, Gummy Bears, which did leak a while ago. Uh it is it was when it leaked, it was a mobile mobile like game. And that is spinning out onto onto a a new team that will be under PlayStation Sony Interactive for entertainment, but they will be in a an office that's still in like Bunchie's office. Is that sort of thing that also doesn't feel like an answer, But that's not under Bungee anymore. Right, that's under PlayStation Studios. It's outside of Bunge, but they are not closing that down. Now. What is going on the shelf is payback. This is what was also leaked and reported to be maybe Destiny three technically not Destiny three. They internally they would refer to it as the next Destiny. I don't know necessarily what the distinction is there, Jam, but they think there's a distinction there. But that is going on the shelf indefinitely, according to the people I've talked to. And so either way, like, let's be clear, a Destiny three or Next Destiny is just not the thing that they are going to be coming out of this looking toward, let alone working on in any real way. And next Toy is a very good one, chat, thank you very much. I don't to me, it sounds like a mess. I don't know, it sounds like a huge mess.
Speaker 2: And like these messes start from the top crub right, like they come from mismanagement across the board, and especially like you are screwing with a developer that has a deep roster of very talented devs and then like how do you expect any of them to work at full capacity when most of their teams that they've worked with for years and years developed deep bonds and like just like workflows together are are now gone suddenly from the company, like Morales like you said, it's got to be at an all time low, and especially when you are trying to solve the problem of Destiny to retention and then trying to lure new players laps players back into Destiny three. That is like the that isn't an uphill climb at this point, Greb, you were climbing up a greasy, oily ladder at this point. And I don't know about you, but I don't normally like to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I try to avoid that wherever possible. We just clarify a few things here from my notes and from some stuff let's here. Yeah, those expansions for Destiny too, expansions, they're not even using that term internally anymore. They're calling them content packs. So like what that should put it into perspective, Like what you should expect from Destiny to going forward. They want Destiny to to keep being a thing, but the investment level is going to pair back in a significant, significant way. Meanwhile, they still think Marathon is actually coming out in twenty twenty five, So I'm correcting that, right, I said years away twenty twenty five, and I'm told that expectations are sky high. They are enormous for that game. So that goes back to that leadership of what are you telling PlayStation and then what are you putting on the line. What's the collateral that you are putting that you are betting and putting on the table that that gets lost if you don't hit those expectations. And based on what's happened time and time again now with with Bungie under under PlayStation, probably a.
Speaker 2: Lot I would have to imagine there are rumblings within PlayStation. They made this huge investment in buying an acquiring Bungee because they knew how much of an asset it could be, only to see you know, player account dwind and then now all of this like negative buzz about the company prior to even to this round of layoffs, Like still I feel like we were feeling the effects of the last round of layoffs and the only thing to kind of like put that to bed was the positive reception to the last DLC that came out for Destiny Too. And now this happens again. I got to feel that people at PlayStation they have to be upset at this mismanagement, right, like they have to step in at some point, and maybe they're stepping in ever so slightly with like the Little Gummy Bear team. I hate that. That is the most intriguing thing from this.
Speaker 1: They're stepping in in a big way though. I mean by shifting Bungee under PlayStation, that's something we talked a little bit more about yesterday and that I talked about on Twitter. Yeah, Herman Holt now fully is, like I say, runs Bungie. He's not like taking over Pete Parson's role. He's not the CEO of Bungie or something like that. But like any other studio, Bungee now exist under Sony Interactive Entertainment's PlayStation Worldwide Studios banner, and that that clearly is going to be very different. It means they have to answer to to PlayStation in a way that like just a little bit ago, every PlayStation studio was answering to Bungee, like and if they had a live service thing, it's like, hey, is your life service thing good enough? Well, here's Bunchie to tell you no or yes? Oh my lord.
Speaker 2: Is Pete Parson's response single handly responsible for the Last of Us project being shelved in Concord making the green light.
Speaker 1: I mean, it definitely seems like that's a big part of it. Now, whether that's like Pete Parson's showing up or not, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I'm a blame them, Yeah, I'm a blame them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that seems fair. But yeah, I meaning Goober. We do know the last of Us Factions game was like big part of that was was a Bungie showed up. It was like this, there's some issues and there almost certainly were there almost certainly weren't going to be problems with that game running it's a live service, but they showed up and highlighted them. And Sony I don't know if they panicked or something, but they definitely pulled back from that game because of that. So, yeah, it is. It's it's a mess, is what it is. And I feel for everyone that is going to have to like try to like push through this. There's that the two hundred and twenty people who are just cut. There's one hundred and fifty ish people that are being moved from Bungee over to Sony Interactive Entertainment, And I bet a lot of those people are like, wait, what does that look like? What am I doing? What job do I? Like? What do you am? I? Really going to be protected here. It's yes, what does that mean? It's got to be very confusing, and again having just you know, a couple of mistakes made by people at the top who are too busy buying cars instead and having like rip apart so many people's lives one way or the other, either losing their jobs or being shifted around and whipped around to some other department. That is rough stuff. And I just don't know how. I mean, I think part of like when I look at the player numbers of Destiny on on Steam, I get people are like just the morale of the community seems low. They're like, wow, oh, I don't want to all play that God, and then like but I'm gonna invest my time in that, and they're just gonna give me content packs going forward. It feels like a death spiral.
Speaker 2: It feels like a death spiral, especially when you know there are other games as a service live service games out there that are I don't want to say, taking care of their community where at least addressing the needs in a more dynamic way than Bunge has been able to because of all of the shit happening there. Grub uh refresh my memory please, What is Marathon supposed to be.
Speaker 1: An extraction shooter? Why? Yeah, because that's the buzzword. Yeah, I don't know. I think I listen Marathon originally on mac a game. I think I played when it got ported to something once. You know, it was a first person shooter, an early first person shooter. And now when yes, and then two years ago when they were starting to talk about this, I bet a lot of people from the Bungee team were playing Tarkoff and they're like, we could do the Bungie version of this, and that's still there's still some promise there. I feel like, you know, like Call of Duty war Zone was like clearly yeah, there was Fortnite, clearly Fortnite right away crack the nut on having a very broadly appealing battle rayale game. But Call of Duty war Zone was the one that's like, and here's like, it's just like Arcadie and uh, and it's for that Call of Duty audience and all that stuff. There is a world in which Bungie could be the one that like cracked that nut on extraction shooters for that audience as well, but who knows. It's It's expectations seem like they're even higher than like what it would look like if they did that. You know, you just turning on the volume on that. It seems pretty loud. All right, Jan, let's move along here. I'm gonna go to this next story down here. Dragon Age the Veilguard will reveal its release date in August. This is from air hittlback Fruru at Game Reactor. Last week, byowhere reiterated that dragon Age the Veilguard is still set to come out in twenty twenty four and that we'll get the release date later this summer. We now something more specific about that last part and more. BioWare confirms that dragon Age the Veilguard's release date will be announced in August, and that's now. That's this month. It doesn't stop there either, as the Blood and Studio will also share details about its plans for expansions, DLC and more at the same time. Last I heard is it's going to be October. Jan. Oh, yeah, I think that's that was like weeks ago. That could have changed. Obviously, they didn't give a date for a reason. I'm gonna deal with this, TV. So are you looking forward to Dragon Age the Veilguard?
Speaker 2: Yes, I am looking forward to Dragon Age the Veil Guard. I know that there was some odd reception when they had Bethesa had announced the name change from Dreadwolf to the rail Guard. BioWare It's all the bees, man.
Speaker 1: I get them mixed up to conflate them all the time.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to protect the hive, but these different b companies keep messing with me. But hearing Lucy James talk about her time revisiting Dragon Age, the twenty fourteen game a couple bombcasts ago had me intrigued because I never checked out the original Dragon Age. I kind of just appreciate it from the periphery. But now I'm thinking, you boy might try and dig in. We also had the Veilguard parts of the Vailguard team in the fandom comic con stew To interview during a comic con. And I love it when I'm convinced to play a game based off of the enthusiasm of the folks making the game. Party scenes like there's pr and marketing talk going on all the time, and like trailers, they can wow you, they can assuay you. But seeing a passionate dev that has devoted years of their life to a game, it's infectious, and I want to see the game that they are waxing so poetically about, so I think I'm also excited. Also, I need to fill out and pad my roster for Fantasy Critic.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, uh uh yeah, I agree with you one on that because every time I hear anything from this game about this game, or we hear publicly about this game, people seem pretty confident about it behind the scenes, and it's that that is infectious, as you said. And yeah, yeah, I'm looking here. It's still October. Late October though, so that you know, again, that could shift between now when they actually announced the date, but I expect that probably to be the time because it's been the time for like what they've been naming for for a while now for the last few months. So late October for Dragon Age the Veil Guard that feels like a really good holiday game, feels like exactly the kind of RPG people will be wanting at that at that time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, October not only the month that I and Alex Bonyela were born in, it's also it's also gonna seems like it might be a month of the Dragons, because not only Dragon Age the Veiled Guard, but dragon ball z sparking zero right, also dropping.
Speaker 1: It's dragon mont everybody here on giant bottom. I'm back, watch out.
Speaker 2: I was gonna, oh but that's not the sound dragon snake.
Speaker 1: Also, I just said, I got a little text here says I can't answer chance question why is Marathon an extraction shooter? So I like, then the people, the people in the know don't really know the answer to that. Hey, hey, who knows?
Speaker 2: Uh? I this makes this terrifies me, grou Like, how many times do I pop up on a fucking text chain to someone?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right? Yeah, that the ears are burning or the nose itches? Which one's that you sneeze? See it makes you sneeze? Yeah, like looking at the sun, or when people text about you. All right, let's uh, let's say.
Speaker 2: You slide into people's d MS about me. You can't do whatever you want? Yeah with my nudes? Oh sorry they're out there anyhow. Yeah, listen, everybody stand back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm looking forward to this game now more and more. I think that the game will have another chance here to make that new first impression because that souber game Fest trailer I think confused a lot of people. The cinematic trailer, and I think that they will recognize that and whatever they come with for this next sort of marketing beat, they will hit hit people with exactly like here's the game, and here's what's going to feel like to play the game. And I think that'll be a big win for that.
Speaker 2: I would love a more focused showcase of the game like that. Also, I'm pitching this now. Maybe we play through some of the original dragon Age dragen Age, dragan Age.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah, that would rule. Okay, let's do it, all right, Well, let's take a quick break when we get back. There's plenty more headlines to get into, including a little teas about the next Battlefield. I think we take your nap. All right, We are back and the kids are watching Bluey everybody so stand back. Oh no, no, look that's inside out to YouTube videos. Never mind eats's next Battlefield game, saying it's among company's most ambitious projects ever. This is from Eddie mccoough at GameSpot. EA's Battlefield twenty forty two was something of a disappointment for the company, but the franchise remains popular and is set to expand with a major new installment. During EA's earnings briefing, CEO Andrew Wilson said making the new Battlefield game is a top priority for EA right now, adding that the company has high hopes for the project. The community is energized by what our teams are doing and excited for what comes next. This is not just one of our top priorities, it is also one of the most ambitious projects in our history. We have brought together the very best team coupled with the resources and technology they need to deliver an epic battlefield experience. Yeah, then they are using the word experience, jan do you think this is something that will be set up as a platform and also them calling the most ambitious thing ever? Can this be like free to play or does it have to be another massive, seventy dollars game.
Speaker 2: I' just trying to be a big tria, a first person shooter and how you exist in the lives of gamers, because you know, we see Call of Duty making odd pivots, but Call of Duty is definitely transitioned to be a platform where you have a campaign, you have the multiplayer, you have the battle Royale mode. I think if they want to make a big, big swing making Battlefield free to play and attaching like a decent battle pass or parks if you are paying for whatever in Battlefield could be good. God, I remember the launch of twenty forty two KRUP that was absolutely abysmal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it felt like it had such a chance. I remember being excited about like tornadoes in the middle of combat and stuff, be like, man, that seems like anything could happen. That's great, and then it's just something. It just was such a dud or and it was like so hard to convince people to play or buy the game in the first place and things like that. So, yeah, it just had so many disadvantages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and missing a lot of features at launch as well, if I remember right. So I hope at least whenever this next Battlefield game comes out, it feels more like a fuller package rather than you know, like I'm being scammed out of my money here, missing a lot of base things that I've quality of life things for the player.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like maybe going free to play, especially with a scale that Battlefield plays at, could be interesting. At least you could lead to a very good positive boom at launch, and maybe Battlefield doesn't take itself so seriously. It already doesn't based off of like the clips I've seen, they just lean all the way in. Just just give me a g They're not gonna have a Captain toadskin. What am I thinking?
Speaker 1: Give me a rule though?
Speaker 2: Uh? Throwing the rabbits, No, that's U be soft throwing the rabbits anyway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not? Yeah, they're done with Mario for now, so yeah, go back, give the rabbits the battlefield. So I think when they talk about like experience, I think they are saying without saying that they see what Cold Duty does with its launcher and having all the different options for people in there, and they will approach something like that with Battlefield. So I bet there will be both, right. There will be the seventy dollars Battlefield game that has the traditional multiplayer that has a campaign that has all kinds of other stuff in there and probably gets you extra stuff in the rest of the launcher. But then there will be that there's that Ripple effect you know right here from Eddie. Let's just read this earlier. Earlier this year, it was reported to the next Battlefield will have a free to play battle reale mode created by Ripple Effect. The next game in the first person a shooter franchise won't arrive until twenty twenty five at the earliest, and still doesn't have an official name, So you have the ripple effect battle Royale mode over here, whatever ends up turning into maybe Batterley I won't be the thing at that point, but probably And that's free to play over here, just like war Zone. And then Battlefield Traditional is over here, just like Call of Duty. And now I think the problem with that is Battlefield is always chasing call of Duty and never matches call of Duty, and sometimes and then when it fails to match call of Duty time after time, it gets knocked down much harder than Call of Duty ever gets knocked down. But what I mean, do they have any other options here? I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like the Battlefield team is also kind of in a good spot because of how much the last really soured public opinion, that like, well, anything must be a step up from here.
Speaker 1: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've always been Battlefield curious grub, but it's also felt super intimidating. Anytime we've checked out a Battlefield clone on the website, it has given me the hankering to check out Battlefield proper, but knowing that it is not in like a U, you know, the best state right now Bad Bad Company. I keep seeing people throw around. I feel like that would be a big swing, that could potentially be a big experience for folk, But I don't know if that is the appetite of folks at the top making the decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember this is from years ago that there was a Bad Company one and or two remaster slash like remake that they were, that they were like kind of starting up. And then when Vince Sampella took the lead of Battlefield, he was Vince Sampella from Respond. Previously from Call of Duty. He was in charge of Infinity Ward when they made Call of Duty four and all that stuff, and then when they left and started that new studio Respond, and then now he's in charge of basically a lot of EA's traditional games. He was like, look that that is we need that to be bigger than what you all are planning to do right now. And so what we're gonna kind of shelf this and we're gonna put it back behind the break glass in case of emergency situation, and we'll go back to Bad Company in a different way at some point. Now, who knows. I mean, it feels like I don't know. Honestly, this feels like maybe the right time, right like coming off of twenty forty two, which felt like it should have hit and didn't, which is maybe the worst thing you could say about that. It's like it felt like it should have worked and it still didn't. Uh. Oh, Now you're going to be going into this experience where they're gonna have a ripple effect. You're gonna have a ripple effect free to play battle Royale game, You're going to have the traditional multiplayer Is that gonna be behind the pay well probably? And then you're gonna have a campaign? What kind of campaign? At that point? Why not maybe do bad Company and have some co op and stuff in there, and then you could start justifying having a seventy dollars price behind that content.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Twenty forty two is twenty issuyears away from us. We could develop Titans by then. It's true, that's right. I went to Titen. Oh my god, grub, I would dig the crap out of a battlefield game with not like the good Titans we're conditioned to expect in Titan Fall two, but like a haphazard, shodily built Titan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a maybe like a post apocalyptic games and people are like piecing together titans and it's more like suits of armor, like Knight's armor, that sort of thing, or bad forklyfts bad yes, right right, it's just pieced together. Right, But it's like it's it's like you have ownership of it, and it becomes like a like a ritualistic thing, a religious thing in some ways. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do we just talk about the movie Hugh Jackman hit Real Steel?
Speaker 1: But I'm always talking about Real Steel. Real Steel is top tier dad movie.
Speaker 2: Bullshit. I love that movie so much. It's so good. I can't wait to revisit that when I'm a father. Yeah, it's real good. It's that and Interstellar. Those are the two that, like you have to rewatch Susan Become a Dad. That's a double feature.
Speaker 1: Grub. Absolutely, that's a good night right there. All right, let's see here. I got the more headlines, including Xbox announces twenty twenty four plans for games Com, including over fifty playable games. This is from Jordan Miller at VGC. Microsoft has announced its plans for Games comp twenty twenty four. The Xbox Booth will feature over fifty playable games split across first party Xbox Game Studio releases and third party Xbox titles. They include Age of Mythology, Retold Ara History, I'm Told Man, a Lot of Tellings of History, Diablo four, Vessel of Hatred, Fallout, seventy six, Mile Post Zero, the new expansion Elder Scrolls Online, Gold Gold Road, and Towerborn and Tower Born is that kind of beat them up game from the people that did the Banner Saga. Xbox will also host exclusive theatrical presentations of Avowed Indiana, Jones and the Great Circle and Starfield Shattered Space. Blizzard's Gamescom twenty twenty four presence will also be a part of the Xbox Booth. The booth will feature a public hans on gameplay demo of the Diablo four Spirit Born Class, with a Diablo Immortal hellicoury Boss tournament taking place as well. A special immersive World of Warcraft experience will also be president at the show, giving games comontendants the chance to feel the thrill of skydiving in Asaroth. The Xbox Booth will also have playable titles from third party publishers like Stalker to Heart of Chernobyl Rebellion's Adam Fall, Space Marine two, Arc two, Star Wars Outlaws, man Ark two is still real. So they're going all out for games Cone. They're going way more all out for games come than they even came close to for Summer Game Fest now and then the Summer Game Pest did it. They had their own Xbox mixer and they had stuff there. But I don't know if they have fifty games. I should didn't go to their thing. But that's not what it seemed like when people relate it to me. Yeah, I mean the effort behind xboxes or Microsoft and Xbox like saying, hey, here are the games, here's what's going on. Be excited. Feels mismatched with like where Xbox is at in the marketplace right now, yesterday's story of like yet again another quarter down forty percent or more for hardware sales year over year. But what are the choices they have? They got to come out there and be like, we do have exciting stuff. You should be excited, and I think people be like, yes, and I'm gonna play it on my PC. And I think Microsoft this points that's just fine. But I don't know. I'm I'm glad that they're like showing up like this. This feels like, no, there's still plenty of momentum behind the other company making video games as a first party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent guarantee, are not guaranteed, agreed. I want to see what Microsoft is doing, and seeing this huge turnout for games Com makes it definitely makes it feel like games Com is like a tour stop for Microsoft as they make the rounds until the end of the year, until like a lot of these games pop out. I'm very curious about Tower Born may feel like the.
Speaker 1: God Greb.
Speaker 2: What was that other months or Hunter like game that we checked out that we had a decent time with wild I put.
Speaker 1: This Melbourne or something like that. Uh god, yeah, I can't I can't remember Wild Wildhearts. Yes, thank you, Yes, I mean I enjoyed that. That was fun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'd like to see like another take on the Monster Hunter formula because, like you know, there are parts of that experience that I love Capcom, but Capcom still hasn't completely nailed from like quality of life perspective. But I want to see what more of that could look like. Gosh, if only we're sending a team to games Calm to check out all these neat things, to like seeing what it'd been a parachute through Ezra.
Speaker 1: An impossible dream jan Quit saying things you know can't happen.
Speaker 2: Ah, gosh, I'm just such a dreamer grub.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I uh Talerborne's when I've been excited about for a while. It's uh, it's yeah. It's that like side scrolling beat them up sort of thing. I'm gonna I have the video right here. I'll bring it up. Let me just if I gotta frame it up here. But it's like, looks beautiful and very cool, and I think it should be something worth checking out. And then it has so many other elements going on there that I'll have to play to fully understand. But god, yeah it looks amazing. Yeah, it's like so yeah, we'll get some hands on reports from that game and more and just overall, this is Game's com the heart of Europe. Like they're right there showing up being like, hey, we want to win over this audience. Europe has mostly overlooked Xbox this generation, as it has through most generations in the past, but especially this generation. And I think that they're just like, look, yeah, we maybe we're not going to get you to buy an Xbox, but we could still get you to buy our games. And I think that's probably the right move for them on the long scale, the grand scale of time. Jan if we're talking like one hundred years from now, I think PC gaming will still be here, probably, I don't know about consoles, Like, like you know, all it takes is one generation for one of these companies to get like to either take it on the chin, or to like really to to bone things up, or to lose interest, to be like it's not growing fast enough, we should just sell it off to some other company or something like that that's not out of the realm of possibility in the next twenty five years or something like this. So when I think about, like, if I'm in charge one of these companies and I have to like place my chips down somewhere, I also would be putting my chips down on PC and open platforms as opposed to just trying to grow my walled garden again. So I think Xbox has positioning themselves to do that. Whether or not they're going to be able to pull it off, who knows, But it starts with stuff like this, like fifty games at games come.
Speaker 2: Oddly enough, I feel like piece one hundred years from now, who knows where will be I'll be in the dirt.
Speaker 1: Or long, yes, long over here.
Speaker 2: But I do see PC games sustaining and lasting, but also perhaps handheld games, not mobile games, but handheld games. Like I don't know, I could definitely see a revision of the game Boy coming out in a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if Nintendo ever does like that move, I think it would do very well for them. I don't know what it would be a sign of, like from the company, if like there's other troubles or whatever, they're like, we gotta go back to the game Boy. But in the next like ten to fifteen years, there is still gonna be a butter zone where like multiple generations have grown up like remembering the game Boy. Like I'll like I was I got the original game Boy when I was just a kid, and then but like several generations of kids behind me got game Boys, like two generations basically to play Pokemon games, and they are all gonna be like, hey, that name means a lot to me. So yeah, stuff like that could happen You're right though, handout games will still be a major thing, and I think that'll be like the primary way honestly personalized gaming experiences right there in front of you. That's always been it for me.
Speaker 2: It's just so funny seeing like a couple of years ago the major focus on what the console is right, what the console looks like, how it fits into your home entertainment ecosystem only for the Nintendo Switch, and subsequently the theme deck to kind of reinfluence of people and like kind of like having this thing in my hands.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's for me. That's always been it, like just a link's awakening on the game Boy in the backseat of the car on road trips as a ten or eleven year old. I mean, that's just like when it's like, oh, gaming's just going to be everything to me from now on. At that's when that happened. I like playing games on the TV too, sure, but it's just something so intimate to have the games right there in front of you. All right, let's hit these last few stories. Dev say that working with Apple Arcade is frustrating and like an abusive relationship. Zax Wisen from Kotaku writes a new report featuring quotes from anonymous developers who have worked with Apple Arcade claimed the subscriptions subscription gaming service has no real goals, barely communicates with studios. It treats teams poorly, making them jump through hoops and wait for months just to get paid. One developer even claimed that working with Apple Arcade was like being in an abusive relationship. One big problem is that some devs have to spend months chasing Apple down for their money. The way Apple Arcade works is to devs get a large amount of money upfront to make the game and then collect royalties from Apple. And I just started playing a in the sixty four jungle mix in the background. I i't mean to do that. We can go weeks without hearing from Apple at all, and their general response to time to emails is three weeks if they reply at all. Set a developer speaking to Mobile gamer Dot is We're supposed to be able to ask product technical and commercial questions, but often half the Apple team won't turn up, and when they do, they have no idea what's going on and can't answer our questions, either because they don't have any knowledge on how to answer it or not able to share that info for confidentiality reasons. Yeah, that sounds like it sucks. That's insane, grub, that's insane. That like, and I get that, like gaming is not Apple's thing. That's like, maybe that's not stating it strongly enough. Well, you do have gaming subscription service that you are charging people for, and the whole idea is you pay developers to make games that are better than the free to play shlock they get from the rest of the store. You should probably pay those people that have made those games for you. What are you talking about. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: I know you have the money, Tim, You definitely have the money. God, that feels insane hearing that these indie devs that you know haven't some type of exclusive contract to remain on Apple Arcade for X amount of time. I have to hunt Apple for their money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, jump through hoops. Like it should just be like the second the game launches, it should just like automatically transfer to their bank account. It should just be automated. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: And I give you my routing number. Yeah, Jim, you just Apple pay me this ship?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What the hell? Oh God, Plaid like won't let them like sign up their bank account or whatever connected or whatever. Yeah, and that seems so insane because we have seen a steady trickle of.
Speaker 2: It feels weird to say this, but big Apple Arcade games finally make the jump to other platforms. We're seeing it with Fantasian, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game, even the gosh, the not Match three, but the puzzle game that was pretty big, and it was a big heater for Apple Arcades release. Oh gosh, it was like Dungeon themed folks at home.
Speaker 1: Grindstone, Yeah, there it is, yeah, Grindstone. Yeah. People try to say this is normal for a lot of businesses that that that work this way, and it's like, ah, I think the reason developers are saying this is because it's not normal for the space that they're in. I think Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo have a pretty well understood process for getting paid. The timeline is very well understood, and I think the problem here is not like that the people just have to wait. It is that they have to hunt down on Apple and make it happen, which is not normal in this space. I mean, especially not with Steam right over there, just making it like the most automated basic thing in the world where it's just going to happen in the background and you don't have to do much to make it happen. That's the norm, and you kind of can't be like, well, I mean, you know, this is the way things are so well they it could be better. We see it right there, and it's better for the vast majority of gaming purchases in the world when you look at Steam and the Xbox Store and the PlayStation store and Nintendo You Shop all put together.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Also, wouldn't it continue to build a positive relationship between dev's and Apple if they were being paid on time? Yeah, where like, hey, we'll continue to keep making games for you guys, or we'll tell our other indie friends to Well, that.
Speaker 1: Seems like that's the underlying thing here, right jan that Apple doesn't care about that anymore. They don't care about Apple Arcade. It was an initiation. It's a year's old initiative, is more and off, they're not gonna they're not reinvesting in that. Then they're not thinking about it actively. That is that is old news, and so all the developers are unhappy and that's going to sort of slightly poison that audience. Against us or that you know that industry against us. We don't care. And that's just Apple with gaming every generation from the beginning of time. Yeah, PlayStation Plus free games for August twenty twenty four. Uh, let see your Lego Star Wars the Skywalker Saga for five nights at Freddy's Security Breach and Inder Lily's Quietest of the Nights. Yeah. These are all coming starting August sixth and will be available through August second or September second, I should say. And those are the PlayStation Plus free games for August.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Lego Star Wars the Skywalker Saga is a massive, solid game, yes, and one that's good for families and good for kind of any fan of Star Wars. It's really well done.
Speaker 2: It's so funny that when Dan and I checked out the old LED Steam deck at Valve, the first game that they show us today the capabilities and like, how great the screen is on the Steam deck O led was Lego Star Wars the Skywalker Saga.
Speaker 1: Yep. I mean you know that's the materials they use in that stuff that make it look like real Legos, and then combining that with that OLED screen, yep, that's very good stuff. All right, let's sa hit this last one. AMD reports positive financial results, but gaming business slumps. This is from Alberto Garrito at Game Reactor. The crisis at the world's leading ship makers is shaking the entire technology sphere. First the in with Intel's flawed thirteenth and fourteenth generation, followed by the announcement of thousands of layoffs at the company, and now AMD is releasing troubling data on its custom gaming chip division. As you probably know, AMD chips are used in game consoles and the Xbox series, PS five and Steam Deck all feature them. Now, with the release of financial results from Q two twenty twenty four, we see a fifty nine percent drop in gaming revenue, down more than six hundred and forty eight million dollars. And this is almost mostly attributable to the decline in sales of Xbox, but we've also seen declines in sales of PlayStation five year over year quarter to quarter, or at least the United States according to a Circana and Napis Catella over there. But yeah, when fewer consoles are selling, Microsoft and Sony to a lesser extent, are going to be ordering fewer chips, and that is going to hurt AMD's revenue. Yeah, did you think. I mean, it's that same old story, right jam, we're waiting for GTA six or some other game, kind of like that right to have the whole industry bounce back. Is that a healthy place for the industry to be in. No, it's not a.
Speaker 2: Healthy place to put all our eggs in the GTA six basket. I don't care for GTA six, but I feel like I've we forced the care.
Speaker 1: It's we have to care. We have no choice here.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm gonna be like the guy in the fifteenth row in like the Dune Cave, going like, I guess we'll get go with this guy LUs and old gaib. Everyone else is doing it. I guess I'll also go with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have Yeah, we don't have a choice. Yeah, it's uh. I mean the whole idea is like this will be the thing that gets people. I mean, did you see the numbers earlier this week that like a significant majority of people are still playing GTA online on PS four, Like you can play that on PS five, Xbox Series, x PC and all the stuff, but the majority are playing on PS four, And so that's that like that. They're saying like that, right there is the thing that highlights what is going on in the industry is that the people that that have found their game, they found it last generation and they're still playing that game on that system and they have not felt they've not been given the compelling argument to upgrade because the game is still the same game. Yeah, it's gonna run better. It's the same game. People, while we talk about it, while I gobble up Digital Foundery, give it to me, num numb, numb, numb, the wide, vast broad audience is saying, no, that's the same game. And my understanding is when I get a new system, I get new games, and that's it's it's it's that simple for them. And so they're gonna need to wait until that new game comes along and it will be g t A six for most of them. People point out Elder Scroll six. Obviously, there is like eight list of games that are in that tier below g T A six.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I I I'd agree GTA six will save the gaming industry. It's gonna gonna undo all of these layoffs. New company. We're gonna be swimming in money, grub.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be it's gonna be awesome. It's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Great, like anecdotally, anecdotally like catching up with our other fandom homies that aren't as plugged into games and just asking them like, hey, what do you know? What? What type of gaming content do you consume? Uh? And then oddly enough the answer is people uh streaming or on YouTube doing rp GTA online content. Yep.
Speaker 1: It's still huge still, and I had there was a lot of content creators I would were like variety streamers and started doing that and that's where they like, well, this is where the money is. People. I got more people watching than ever. I'm gonna keep doing that. All right. That does it for the headlines? Does it for the news? I have a poll question from yesterday. I think I have it right here. Let me just get it right there, bang bang boom the news assets. There we go. I'm gonna have to answer this. Have you ever played Killer seven? I'm gonna I like, touch it, but I'm gonna say no. And that's what seventy percent of the audience said. Out of the two point five thousand votes, seventy percent said no they have not played Killer seven. Thirty percent have I think a remaster would go over real nice, swimmingly, and I'm gonna I'm gonna go well, he said, a complete edition. He's already done a remaster in twenty eighteen for PC or whatever, and I got that on my Steam deck and I am going to go play that. But he wants to suit if it do one, wants to re release that and and as a complete edition. And again, I think that would go over well at this moment in time, better than the twenty eight edition, twenty eighteen edition. I should say. I got a new poll question. We'll get to that here in a second. Before we do, though, Jan, what do we have happening on Giant Bomb today?
Speaker 2: We have voicemail dump truck popping off. Tomorrow is going to be a little bit of an odd day. You Dan Manati are out, so I will raise the troops, the troops being politely, asking Nicky and Sean if they're free, and maybe some other miscreants for unprofessional Fridays, I'd like to have a PCR if possible. I'm taking suggestions folks for upf tomorrow. GMM, maybe I'll do something in place of gmm. Maybe that's when I'll have my vacation slide show.
Speaker 1: Hey there you go.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I don't want to show off my popcorn buckets from Japan. It makes me sad inside it to own it. But anyway, Yeah, the UPF tomorrow. Hey, maybe we'll bust out gt on wine.
Speaker 1: Can I throw a suggestion out for UPF that I would like to watch? Shit? No, I'm gonna do it any you can't stop me. Uh that new Noman's Sky content. I would I'm like interested in, like what that because you could play that multiplayer now, there's so much going on in there. I think I would like to see what's going on there? Oh yeah? Or Killer seven? There you go.
Speaker 2: I gotta play Killer seven with you. Grub you gotta. I have learn set together.
Speaker 1: Let's let's play some Killer seven. That would be awesome. Yes, uh yeah, no, Jance Sky it's right there. Okay, and then always be closince. I left a voicemail for that Grub country song stuff. Very fun. All right, Well that'll be a fun voicemail dump truck. Then later today anything else. Yeah, well, do you know you'll try to put together tomorrow. It's going to be a mess, like you said, But yeah, people.
Speaker 2: It's a fun mess indeed. Oh also, folks, if you are hankering for Lego Star Wars content other than the games, one of the best interviews Comic Con was interviewing the dudes behind Lego Star Wars Rebuild a Galaxy and Bobby moynahan is a part of.
Speaker 1: That last fun.
Speaker 2: And they're doing some funky multivers kind of stuff, but it's all in the form of Lego Star Wars. So I'm pray excited for that joint.
Speaker 1: That sounds great. Bobby moynahan really won me over in Ducktails. He's really good in that. All right. The next poll question, do you think the next battlefield should be free to play? Yes or no? We will talk about that on the next Game Mass Mornings. We'll get the results of that and talk about that there. Jen, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It's the only way I want to start a Thursday.
Speaker 1: Greb, thank you all for listening and watching. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.