Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Last Mornings with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about the employees attempting to stand up to the EA acquisition and also saying goodbye to a legend. It's gonna be a good one because we have Jiana Chowell on the show. Jan how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am still deep in internet woes Grub. It turns out when you have they have to move the fiber O and T machine to a different part of the house, all the beacons you got in the house also need to be repoed. Got meacons. We need to repoe the beacons and they have not been repolled efficiently. I assume you boys not getting all the Internet juice that he's paying for.
Speaker 1: Are you, like, when you're doing tests and packet tests and all that stuff, are are you seeing it obviously that there's an issue or is it more like there's some in stability in the machine that's even hard to notice during a speed test or something.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of you know, shots at the chuck for me observing him testing Internet at the SGF house and then like me just loosely trying to pick up on that. Sure, because when I'll run a speed test Grub, everything will look fine on paper. There's some type of instability going on somewhere down the chain, because yesterday before game this morning started with Lex, I ran a speed test. Everything looked kosher, and then the show went on and then it kind of got borked in the middle of it. So I'm not quite sure what is happening there. That being said, I'm not running hardwired, and I know that that is taboo. So everyone calmed down. I know, I know, right, Yeah, it's a new situation.
Speaker 1: Listen, I did a mini podcast on Wi Fi for a long time and no one ever yelled at me. Everyone yelled at me. It was everyone Sean and Mike never shut up. And it was hard to get an Ethernet cable down there. So I get it, so okay, But you do think you have like a pathway to like get into this all sorted, because to me, it's like, oh man, it's like to have to redo everything in this house to get internet to work. But like, do you feel you have a plan.
Speaker 2: The plan grub right now? Long?
Speaker 1: I No, that's that's a plan.
Speaker 2: I love that. You know you might might record.
Speaker 1: I guess it might require some like power, a powered Ethernet cable, but a long Ethernet cable actually should be fine. Ethernet's fine over like long distances. So yeah, especially if you get like a big like a big bandwidth one, a big uh what's it called gauge? Yeah, get the cat, get the cat eight in there. Spending way too much money on a cable, let's go.
Speaker 2: I'm going. I'm also gonna have to route it through like a switch. Also, not like a Nintendo switch, but a gigabit switch, just to make sure that the juice is preserved. It's going to be long boys, long boys, grub.
Speaker 1: Uh camski something. Have you watched the new season A Peacemaker?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes I have. What what do you think happened to John Cena's bald spot? Do you think they covered it up or do you think he did the Turkey.
Speaker 2: He went to Turkey? I think you think he probably went to Turkey. I think he actually talked about this in an interview because he did go to he'd made it okay cool, So yeah, when he went back for part of his retirement, tour, right, WWE people were kind of poking fun at his bald spot.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, I felt bad for him for that, but it was it was also very glaring. It was hard not to comment on it.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, Michael Olier. He didn't go to Turkey. There was a guy in l A.
Speaker 1: I bet he was Turkish.
Speaker 2: But anyway, and yeah, you know, I understand that John Cena wants to preserve his hair for Hollywood, but you know, if you wanted to go shaved head, I think he'd be completely fine.
Speaker 1: That's oh yeah, for sure, he could pull off anything for that stuff. But it's like I definitely noticed Lom like, I bet there's some parts here where because apparently.
Speaker 2: Did it earlier this year.
Speaker 1: It said, okay, yeah he covered it in acting roles. Yeah, of course you will, like why wouldn't you. Yeah, that's a that's a good show. Part of me is like, wish is that they could go a little bit deeper on some of the stuff they're doing. But I had a fun time with it. They you know, James Gunn gets me. So I enjoyed it all right, Although I'm halfway through the last episode, so maybe it gets really bad at the end. Who knows, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Ah, not my favorite season finale, grub, I'll just look at that. Fair enough.
Speaker 1: Well, let's find out.
Speaker 2: All right, let's explain what we do here.
Speaker 1: We're Giant Bomb Video Game dof This is independent games media out here on our own, but we have you. When you go to giant bomb dot com slash join, you become a premium member, and you help ensure that we can remain independent out here doing our thing, making the stuff we like to make, making the stuff you like to see. We're gonna be doing stuff like the Bombiton here at the end of the month, where we're gonna just kind of go all out at twenty four hour live stream October twenty seventh. I want to say, Jane, you told me yesterday. That's right, okay, Yes, October twenty seventh, starting at five pm that day. We can do stuff like that because we have you supporting us, and we're gonna try to set up a whole new year of support starting that day and really kind of kicking off some awesome stuff going forward. Of course, it also enables us to do stuff like SGF Game of the Year awards and stuff like that. So please go through a giant bomb dot com slash join become a premium member. It means the world to us. Thank you to everyone who has supported us so far. We notice it. And if you can't, just tell a friend, that's also awesome. We get it.
Speaker 2: As far as the show, oh please, yeah go sorry Greb. If you're an existing premium subscriber, here's ten podcast points for you.
Speaker 1: Shit, okay, As far as the show goes, most weekdays, I Jeff Greb will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Games Mornings, or find the RSS feed on GiantBomb dot com. You can all so catch the show later with chapters and timestamps ontimetamps, timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube and scout. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Ballpit reviews.
Speaker 2: They have really started to roll in.
Speaker 1: Gene'll say up front, I am glad we're at a point where it's like a game like this that feels like it should have reviews, but I think at one point might not have because it's just like, you know, it's not from the major publishers necessarily, It's not one of those ones where like you just know to pay attention to it.
Speaker 2: I think we're past that people know to pick.
Speaker 1: Up on games like these. And it has quite a few reviews. It has an eighty six on Open Critic, doing very well, and people are people are talking a game about this one. They're talking some mess about how if you start it up, you're not gonna be able to put it down. And I just don't need another one of those. I'm scared of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Grub we got code for this fairly early, and I think they had to move the release of Ballpit because of a silk song. But I've played maybe a good two three hours of it and I have to remove myself from it. Rub.
Speaker 1: This is the this is the brick breaker on steroids, Arcanoid, Arcanoid, Yes, fantastic, it's.
Speaker 2: One of those, and I remember it may not have been Arcanoid, but they are in Arcanoid. Ad Jason game had come out on iOS years back, and I thought it was like Brick Breakers on on crack. I was wrong, because Ballpit is that. This is that Okay, it is that on it is and I say this positively, gang it is arcanoid on fentanyl because it is like that Bath Salt's body rush of like, oh, Okay, we're gonna not only break all these bricks, but we're gonna do more than that. We're gonna eat faces because we're on Bath Salts. Let's go. Yeah, yes, yeah. It runs great on Steam Deck as well. If folks curious about that. As far as how it runs on your Asis ally Roger X, fine, I don't know. Yeah this I am all for this surge of support for indie games getting like a ton of review coverage because it's not just Ballpit. There's like other titles that have come out in the wake of Silk Song, in the wake of Hades two that.
Speaker 1: Have actually gotten right, like Bla Feels like the one that really like cracked the code there where it was like, oh, we should be kind of perking up for these games, and now everyone that's sort of every game that is in this sort of bucket where it's like, oh, an Arcadie maybe action style not actually, but like Arcadie game that you could play forever that doesn't necessarily have unending just one of these games that you can lose a ton of time to. Yeah, people are showing up form, especially on the indie side, and that's that's fantastic to see. I do wonder it's like, you know, the we're hearing reports of people who make games in America in United in the United States talking about how, oh, this just isn't a job we could do here anymore. We're gonna have to move to other countries if we want to keep making games, because it's like they're just not they're laying us off and they're not hiring new people. And if I want to like get a job, all the jobs are in Scandinavia or Eastern Europe. I wonder if there could be like sort of a reset at some point to like figure out the right team size, to figure out the right sort of mix of budgets and scope based on maybe the success of a lot of games like this. I saw someone say, hey, like fund one hundred games for one hundred million dollars, and one of those is probably going to pop off and do three hundred million dollars and that pays for the whole thing. It's like, yeah, there's probably something to that. It's maybe not as simple as that. Of course it's not as simple as that, but that that in general, it's like I wonder, I wonder if it's even possible. I don't know, and it's or maybe it has to just continue coming from the indie space just because there's so many games and you kind of can't compete as a big company spending that much money making that many games.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think of games like Animal Animal, well Grub, and like how if that didn't have like the Dunkey push, I still think that would have succeeded it. But like having that that like Donkey stamp of approval definitely got in front of more eyeballs, hurt, did not hurt at all, And from my understanding, that is also a relatively small team. So I don't know, Grub. I do hope that indie devs kind of make the push forward, because that is a space that I've been more interested in. Like I you know, it's great that Battlefield six is doing well, but I am kind of like foaming at the mouth seeing all these like insane titles coming out of Steam next Fest. I'm upset that there's so much good stuff out there, but I definitely hope with Steam Dex being more of a thing and maybe, like the Asis rog Ex Boyfriend, if folks are picking that up and getting into the PC gaming space, that it opens their eyes to the beautiful world of indie games out there. And you know, I hope more also come out to the Switch too. There's there's a next Best demo that I wanted to check out tomorrow. I think it's like girly Pop forever. It's like a it's like a Doom clone but pop, no, no, no, just pink neon stuff. Don't stop girly pop. That sounds incredible.
Speaker 1: Actually that's a okay, Doom but girly but pink girly pop stuff, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like, I just love that there's a space for that, and I hope that that stuff takes off. And you know, I was just trying to do like an evaluation in my head grub would I spend one thousand dollars on the Asis rog allyx And the answer is no now, but over time, I would love to spend one thousand dollars supporting. However, many indie games that will get me just because I don't know that space is more interesting and percolating more rather than like the Triple A space, at least for me personally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean clearly. And it's and the big companies don't seem like they have a grasp on it, you know, the private divisions that have come and gone. And there's a bunch of similar labels like that that the big publishers have tried and they just couldn't make it make sense. And the ones that do, ea, they're like they found they find the one that works, Joseph Feris, and they just kind of go back to that well over and over again, and they've stopped, like we don't get unraveled games anymore or whatever, So it's gonna have to come from somewhere else. Ballpit got a four out of five from Christian Donaland at Eurogamers said, Kenny's Sun's new game is a voguish excuse me, vogus spin on an art Atari classic and it rules in eighty out of one hundred from Robin Valentine at PC Gamers says, a roller coaster ride of ball bouncy and action that loves to break its own rules, and then a nine point five from Jeremy Duff at Gaming Nexus, who says Ballpit is a wildly inventive twist on a classic formula, blending brick briking with roguelike progression, RPG mechanics, and resource management into a chaotic, endlessly replayable experience. Thanks to a deep roster of characters, seemingly endless ball combinations, and a settlement system that evolves between runs, the game will sink its hooks into you and refuse to let you go. I gotta say, I do feel like it is not helpful advice, but still advice that people should probably take.
Speaker 2: If you're not into Rogue Lights, keep trying.
Speaker 1: I know, there's so many coming out, and these are the games that everyone keeps talking about, like like Absolum, this Hades two. It's just like there's an endless list of these massive roguelikes that in Rogue Lights that people keep bringing up. And I get why. Some people like, if you grew up playing narrative games, games that just have a beginning and an end, which I think a lot of our audience probably did. It's so like frustrating to feel like you lose progress. But there is a reason that these games keep popping off, and you will probably find one that is for you eventually, like that. You know again, like Sean didn't like Hades one, loves Hades two, and it's like that that happens, So just keep trying. I would say, you know, this one's fifteen dollars, maybe it's the one to take a risk on.
Speaker 2: And like you said, Greb, if you're into that narrative that carries over from run to run, there's something like Hades two that will document and have voice lines for virtually everything you ever do in that game. So there's that. But also if you're not into that isometric combat, there is something like megabunk. I finally tried it out. Come on kah oh crub, I hate Dan record. It's yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, that game is immediately so sticky. Yeah. I just I had to put that one aside as well. I'm gonna focus on some other stuff instead, like breaking embargoes. All right, let's see here, EA employees slam fifty five million or fifty five billion dollar buyout in open letter. This is some Darren BoNT Us at GameSpot. In an open letter, EA employees have publicly criticized the company's proposed fifty five billion dollar sale to an investor consortium, warning that the deal could have dire consequences for the people who make EA's games. Well who cares about them, certainly not the people making the money here. The letter comes as a as EA prepares to go private under the new ownership of Jared Kushner's Affinity Partners, and God, I get this job, Jance, so I don't have to think about Jared Kushner. And somehow here we are Silver Lake and Saudi Arabia's public Investment Fund, pending regulatory approval. EA's success has been entirely driven by tens of thousands of thousands of EA's workers, whose creativity, skill and innovation made EA worth buying in the first place. Hell yes, Yet we, the very people who will be jeopardized as a result of this deal, were not represented at all when this a buyout was negotiated or discussed. The employees posted on the United Video Game Workers Union website referencing fears that EA will undergo mass layoffs as part of its plan to find and it's new debt, which is something we talked about, twenty billion dollars in debt that was used to buy this company being saddled on the company. It is a junk status loan, so it's like a B B plus B something like that. Basically just means it's going to have high interest rates. So it will be necessarily difficult to service that loan a billion dollars a year or more in interest payments. So yeah, that's going to be a challenge, and the expectation is EA will likely make cuts to be able to directly service that. And that's the whole point because the people who put the deal together will still get their money. The people who have the people who have the right the ownership stake right now, they're going to get the money when this deal closed. The people who are taking on the ownership will certainly be paying themselves huge bonuses for being awesome leaders and putting the deal together as well. You know, you know what, Actually, Jen, let's just read the next story as well and kind of bring it all into one thing here. US senators voice concerns over foreign influence and national security risks in Saudi funded EA acquisition. This is from Chriscullian at VGC. Two US senators have voiced their concerns about the upcoming acquisition of Electronic Arts by a group of private investors, including Saudi Arabia's Sovereign Wealth Public Investment Fund PIFF. It was announced last month that EA had entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by an investor consortium composed of PIFF, Silver Lake, and Affinity Partners. The all cash transaction values EA at around fifty five billion dollars and we'll see the consortium acquiring one hundred percent of the company. In response to the news, United States Senators Richard Blumenthal or bluementhal I should Say and Elizabeth Warren have now questioned the deal, warning of potential security risks and foreign influence over the Saudi funded acquisition, and a letter to Secretary of the Treasury Scott Besant, who is a fucking tool who also serves as chair of the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, the two senators urged the committee to apply searching scrutiny to this unprecedented, unprecedented proposed to foreign privatization of a major American technology and entertainment company. Okay, Jan, So you know, when this deal got announced, we were I think I assume like there's kind of no way this doesn't go through. Jared Kushner's involved. Who's going to stand in the way, certainly not the United States government, I don't know. Saudi Arabia and security risks, that's that seems like a fair thing. They helped with nine to eleven. So yeah, that makes some sense to me that we should maybe be concerned about that. Do you think between the employees actually speaking up in this case something we haven't seen much of before with these major acquisitions, like the Activision employees were, I think kind of like, look, it's bad under Activision, maybe it could be better under Microsoft. Now I think obviously it was just as bad, if not worse on the Microsoft. We don't really know, we can't no for sure, but clearly it wasn't great. A lot of them got laid off, but they didn't know. I think they had some hope here. I think they, like everyone just sees like we are like just at on a base level, under risk of getting toys r ust where like, hey, because of that debt, this is we're just going to be strip mined of our value, and because we will be the biggest cost as labor, we will be the first to go. So we just we see the obvious risk to our livelihoods here. And then on top of that US senators being like, and now there's security risks. Do you think there's any chance that the steel he'll hits any roadbumps over the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: I hope it hits all of the bumps, and I hope one of the bumps is Jared Kushner, to be honest, because Greb like of course, like Eve, with this buyout, it's not like Saudi Arabia is going to supply any developmental talent. They would still be consuming the existing developers, but those developers are going to be the first ones in line to get cut to satisfy the loan. Like you mentioned, I honest to god, hope that this actually does pick up more steam and maybe the deal doesn't go through because there's it's it doesn't make sense to me, grub for this to get approved if the everyone on the inside is yelling and upset about it, if people on the a lot of people on the outside are upset about it, and what this could mean not only to like a one of the last remaining big American video game companies, but also just everything underneath it. What happens to Madden, Grub, do we not? Do we not get any football? Is all? Is it gonna be presented in Riod now? In a fancy stadium over there?
Speaker 1: There's gonna be an NFL game played in Riod within the next three years.
Speaker 2: Cool cool, one of one of America's past times over there. I guess everyone has a price tag, and I just I feel terrible for the devs that are being affected, and I'm very proud and happy and stand with them and speaking out against this, because of course they're not going to get factored into the situation. Everyone at the top, Like you said, Grub, they have several golden parachutes at this point surrounded like gold yeah. Yeah, And they're patting themselves on the back for like thinking, this is a great thing that they're doing because they are going to be able to get out scott free and completely fine. But this ruin, This could potentially, you know, ruin several different ip It could fuck up so many other games and just get Michael transactions shoved into it that don't need to be and then you know, like we've like we've mentioned several times the devs that are going to be affected. This is going to ruin lives.
Speaker 1: Yep uh. You know what I'm like thinking is maybe more likely. I don't know if it's likely, but more likely every day is in a couple of years, the new owners of maybe the Xbox hardware division will be in Saudi Arabia. That feels like something that could happen. I don't think Microsoft's gonna sell Call of Duty or Minecraft or anything like that, but if they are, if they lose interest in hardware or lose more interest in hardware, I could see them being like, let's bundle up the hardware side and send that over there and kind of and maybe even the Xbox name because Microsoft Gaming, like you know, Call of Duty, Minecraft, all the King stuff, Candy Crush, all that stuff's more valuable than the Xbox branding at this point. And it's not like Microsoft wouldn't still be able to use it. They probably would just like partner up with them going forward and use it as necessary. I could easily see that happening now. Again, I don't know if it's likely, but I could see them. I could see that being a path that happens, and it's like, oh, you know, every step we take of this, of more and more of the ownership being sort of consolidated in this one place where there is no regulatory oversight that would be really be possible, would all be private ownership. It just makes an already fraught industry feel even more like capable of toppling over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Greb. This this ties into what we began the show with where it feels like the bigger titans in this industry are so fragile at this point that they are all on the verge of toppling over, and unfortunately the people are going to topple over or the people supporting them up, which is and you know, to be fair Grub, it's not just the devs, it's it's people on the PR side, marketing side, various, it teams, the poor people doing QA that have always got stepped on, that are going to continue to get stepped on, and like the everyone in the indie space has to navigate around these like titans falling over.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly. Yeah, it's uh, you know, and I think that's why a company like EA makes the choices it makes, right now because they don't feel like there's any obvious pathway forward. That's something we talk about a lot where it's like, hey, what what's our strategy? What's our next strategy? Hey, can we come up with an idea of what our next five to ten years looks like? And because it's so dangerous and so a risky and unsure that like in anything could happen and you kind of they just feel like they got to take the money now, get the big buy out now. And here it is and all these employees going like, what about us? We did create this value? And E is of course gonna have no answer for that, because it's it doesn't matter. They don't care. They're getting their exit strategy right now, and that means not having to worry about all these people that are employed by EA. It's yeah, dark and grim. All right, let's let's take a break. We're gonna have a quick ad message when we get back. Plenty of more headlines to get into. If you want to skip out on these. Premium version of the audio show, premium version of the video show, you get that by going to giant bomb dot com slash premium or excuse me, Giant Bomb dot com, slash Join, become a premium member, will be right back.
Speaker 2: Rub It's okay, just look at it. Okay, it's fine. Wait wait, wait damn, what are you doing here? Oh? Like like existentially or what do you mean? No, Dan like here a giant bomb covering games? Oh? Oh what I do for a living? Okay, Well, I'm here because of Game Informer. That's right.
Speaker 3: Way back in nineteen ninety three, I saw a Game Informer magazine and subscribed for the first time, and it has been a huge part of my life ever since. From you know, working the register at Funkoland and selling subscriptions to starting working there full time in two thousand and nine. Game Informer has been there for me the whole time. They mean a ton to me, so it hurt me, just like I know it hurt a lot of you. When the unexpected news came down not too long ago that Game Informer was shutting down.
Speaker 2: But nay, fear not, I say that's right.
Speaker 3: Game Informer is back, and with one hundred percent of the staff that was there when it shut down.
Speaker 2: Now, Danny boy, I see that you're holding a magazine right there.
Speaker 3: Tell me about how that page feels I'm telling you, I have held hundreds up on hundreds of Game Informer magazines from nineteen ninety three to today, and this is, without a doubt the best. But I'm feeling this right now. This is this is a smooth cover, This is a thick, nice paper here, the print is just this is a wonderful quality print magazine. It makes my heart feel good.
Speaker 1: And I know that Game Informer is a team that I can rely on to say something substantial about games and the people who make them, because GI has a stellar crew of editors.
Speaker 2: These are people I love.
Speaker 1: To have on the couch at Giant Bomb at night over at Summer game Fest. It's people I can always rely to have something interesting to say. That's why I know when they have those excellent cover stories, just like they always did and always will continue to do. So it's going to be some of the best coverage in video games.
Speaker 2: And another fun bonus, Game Informer donates five percent of every subscription purchased directly to Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital.
Speaker 3: You know, earlier this year the future seemed very uncertain for both Game Informer and Giant Bomb. That's putting it mildly and as someone whose life in gaming hobby has been greatly impacted by both of those outlets. I am thrilled that we are both back in doing our thing online and your podcast apps and in print in your hand. That is right, gaming news, reviews, everything in between sent straight to your mailbox every month. To subscribe, go to GameInformer, dot com, slash subscribe now.
Speaker 2: Magazines. All right, we're back. I believe Jam.
Speaker 1: When you turn away from the mic there a little bit, it's hard to hear you. So I think you kind of me in. I think we're back. So Game as Mornings, Jeff Grubb, Jiannachilla, I'm just gonna keep going.
Speaker 2: Here we are. Let's do this next story.
Speaker 1: Quantic Dream developer developing multiplayer title, and they also say Star Wars Eclipse development is ongoing. This is from Salamano at Kamatsu. Quantic Dream is developing a competitive multiplayer experience. Studio head David Cage said in a message on the company's official website. Is one of multiple games in the works, including the twenty twenty one announced Star Wars Eclipse, which Cage confirmed is ongoing. This new title may surprise our fans as it is very different from what we have done so far, Cage said, but taking risks, challenging ourselves, exploring new ways of playing and telling stories, and attempting what seems impossible, and also making that live service money. I might have added that has always been part of our DNA. Yeah, so I guess it's worth pointing out. Quantic Dream does those sort of narrative choose your own adventure style games in the past, the ones where like David Cage would send thirty thousand page scripts out to like outlets and they would always be blank. He's like, this is how many pages the script is. And he did that for like multiple games because games were always thirty thousand pages for some reason. And so this feels very different. The Star Wars Eclips game already felt different. That was supposed to be kind of an action game, a competitive multiplayer game, even more different than that. God, Jen, I don't know. I want to say, is there space you know if one of these things is different and can work. You know, that Arc Raiders games game, it feels like it's gonna pop off when it comes out. We'd be like, oh, is there another room for an extraction shooter? Having known nothing about Arc Raiders I would probably probably go, no, what are you doing? But I bet that game is gonna be just fine. So I guess the real question is do you want to see this from David Cage.
Speaker 2: No, not at all, and not because I no, he can't do it, Grub. I was gonna try and justify it, but this is not your bag, dog. This is like if we suddenly decided we wanted to gosh, I don't know, you know, Okay, maybe we wouldn't work because I feel like we could pivot into any any every scene. Oh yeah we will. We're built different. Yeah, yeah, we're We're loose like that, baby. But like David Page, just go stick to your weird oddly written pointing click not pointing click games. How, given the history of the studio Grub and let's just look at like the last couple of years, because it's it's Detroit Become Human, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain, and then Fahrenheit, how does any of that translate to a multiplayer game? Yeah? To me, it sounds like the kind of thing where it's like you.
Speaker 1: Picked this because it's the thing you had to say to maybe continue to get funding. Like you probably like, there's not a lot of funding out there, and going out there and saying hey, I'm David Cage and I'm gonna do another David Cage game wasn't working. So instead you said the thing you needed to say to get the person to sign on the dotted line to get that cash. And you know, maybe that's not what happened here. Maybe this is what they really want to do. Either way, though, it feels like a move sort of dictated by a need to put out a game that is going to have a certain level of popularity to justify the studio. I'm also like confused about Star Wars Eclipse because that is a High Republic game. Jan a few years ago, a lucasfilm started up their like novel series of the High Republic, which is not the Old Republic but kind of the decent period right before the modern the movies. All the movies happened like a period of like nine hundred to one hundred years before those movies, And that is at the very least on pause, like they like finished up their their current arc. And to me, that's like, oh, because they probably want to reassess and maybe try something different and and see if like a different tactic will do better because I bet those books were middling successes at best. I saw I thought someone were very well written. I haven't read many of them, but the couple I have read, there's some that were good. But it's it's not a going concern in this moment. Now it could come back, but if it doesn't, is this game still going to be a high republic game? I mean, honestly, I keep going back to I still don't think this game ever really comes out, but they say it's he says it's ongoing.
Speaker 2: It's a weird one. Yeah, I have no idea, Greb. I also don't know what the uh temperature is for for Star Wars games. I mean, we see Outlaws right rolling pretty well, but then other Star Wars media not doing so hot. I mean, obviously and Or is critically acclaimed, but then you have stuff like Gosh, Skeleton Crew being.
Speaker 1: Kind of cay and again like really kind of just coming and going, no one really watching that. I really liked Acolyte, but currently pop in Acolyte for sure.
Speaker 2: Apparently my opinion and it being kind of popular didn't matter because of the Internet chuds out there. But whatever. So yeah, I I feel like Star Wars is such in a weird place grub and with Star Wars overall, the health of the IP being kind of weird, I don't think that necessarily helps the Quantic Dreams game at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we'll see. Uh, you know, you gotta kind of make take some bets and take some risks. I agree with that, and who knows, maybe maybe they'll surprises, you know, David h probably I actually isn't going to be in the trenches working on this all that much. Maybe, And there's you know, he's a French developer, right, they're in France. Maybe there's some ex Ubisoft people who want to go make a game kind of like they did with Expedition thirty three. And it's like, I've always wanted to make my this idea for a multiplayer shooter.
Speaker 2: Where can I do that?
Speaker 1: Well, David Cage is welcoming you home over here and let you pop an off. Maybe that's the story here. Again, that's just more than hopium at this point. We'll see. I I you know, if I were out there being like, hey, what do I want from David Cage next? I'm not necessarily a David Cage fan, but I would want another David Cage style game, Like, are they making.
Speaker 2: One of those?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't even know if they have that confirmed. So weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at this point, Greb, I'm hitching my wagon to this. To Sam Barlow, I would rather play another Sam Barlow joint because I would like to play another Sam Barlow joint versus any thing David Cage is presented to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, I'm one with you on that.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep going here.
Speaker 1: MLB the Show should be coming to PC, at least according to a job listing from Sony San Diego Studio. I always mix them up with Santa Monica. No, Sony San Diego Studio, which is the MLB team. They have a job hosting saying hey, we're looking for a triple A PC programmer developer and can you come help us out here? And so people are drawing the conclusion, naturally that this is for bringing MLB the Show to PC, which is something I think that they've said they were going to do before. And it's like, hey, remember when we have this game over a PlayStation, Well, now we're putting on Xbox and the Switch, and we're gonna also gonna put on PC someday. Well, it seems like that day might be coming up soon. I would like to see this. I like playing sports games on on Steam, and there's not a lot of the big ones actually aren't on there. You get mad Him, you don't get college football. You get NBA two K, but you don't get NHL. It's it's kind of along those lines, and I would love for all of them to be on there. I think a big part of it is PC is a little bit easier to go ahead and and and hack and get the cards you want and say something like Ultimate Team.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Now, is that what's happening? I don't know, but I bet it's more of a problem on PC than it is on consoles. And so when you do all the effort to build one of these games for PC, the hope would be like, well, and it makes just as much money as the other platforms do in terms of micro transactions. And maybe that doesn't always turn out to be the case. Uh, so they don't go through with it. I bet that's why NHL doesn't make the cut and things like that. But hey, I I'll play this on PC. I think finally, actually, I would love to have it on my steam Deck for example, for.
Speaker 2: Sure grub Yeah, sports everywhere. Also, folks that if you don't watch a sport, there's one for you out there, just like there's a roguelike out sure, that's.
Speaker 1: It's it's almost exactly the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a sports. Yeah. Don't let growing up and maybe possibly being bullied by a jock like Jeff Backel or a traumatize you from watching or partaking in a sport. Gang It's They're fun. It's okay.
Speaker 1: Teamwork is cool. Stand up to the back of ours of the world, everyone, all right. Sonic Grumble will finally launch in November. This is from Ben Lyons at Game Reactor. The saga of Sonic Rumbles seems to finally be coming to an end. The mobile Arcade Royale game has been development for a good while and had multiplayer multiple former release dates. I should say that we're each followed by delays. Now as we're edging closer to the end of twenty twenty five saga as a firm the launch plans for the title once more, we're informed that Sonic Rumble will finally be coming to iOS and Android devices as soon as this November. We don't have a firm date beyond that, but around that time. So, yeah, this is the Fall Guys but Sonic sort of thing. And I've always thought, hey, that's interesting, although what was the game King of Meat is kind of like, hey, what if Fall Guys have and better controls?
Speaker 2: And it's like, oh, that removes all the juice.
Speaker 1: Now that's not King of Meat's only problems, but it's like, oh, there's something about the awkwardness of Fall Guys that actually makes that whole concept work. And I wonder if, like, oh, it's just a bunch of characters who can run really fast, if that will feel make each level or each sort of run feel very samy. But that's me just sort of worrying about this concept because I'd like, just experience King of Meat.
Speaker 2: This should be fun, right, this should work? Yeah, Yeah, I do worry Grub because for the most part, I associate Sonic with speed and like pretty okay to good controls when it's at least in a two D format.
Speaker 1: Joel and Chats's Sonic hasts back control so it's not a problem, which that got me.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, Joel, all right, Simmre down now simmredown. Sonic didn't do anything of you. But I don't know how that would translate into like a Fall of Guy's like game where it is supposed to be kind of clumsy and clunky, or at least that helps like that. I don't know.
Speaker 1: My recent experience makes me think that that is a huge part of making one of these round based platforming obstacle games interesting in the moment.
Speaker 2: If every player is just big the cat in robotic, in the robot.
Speaker 1: They're basically beans, Yeah, we clear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just throw the bean like characters in, or as long as they make it obvious that it's like a Sonic puppet versus like shoot Sonic. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could call this doctor Robonics mean being platforming machine and I would be in, Yeah, let's do that. Just make all the characters round. I would love it.
Speaker 2: I like this idea.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of the Battle Royale concept kind of getting deconstructed and then put back together in different ways for different genres. I still think Fall Guys is a really fun game, and I want to see Sonic do it. I would love to see Nintendo tackle this with like Mario yeah, or even like like maybe even like Kirby or something. I guess they did do with Kirby right a little bit. There was that four player Buffet Rush game or whatever it was called. That was okay, Yeah, and that was okay. The kids really had fun with that for a while, and I enjoyed playing with them. But yeah, it's like that was that was definitely like a reduced version of this concept. They could do even more with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there has to be some b team of characters that you could easily slot into, like a Fall Guys like game. Yeah, yeah, I hate that. My first two ideas are the minions and the rabbits.
Speaker 1: But well, minions, rabbits and pickmen. Put them all together in a game where they all race. Actually, that'd be fun.
Speaker 2: I would play a Fall Guys like if it was just the bigger Pickman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, minions, rabbit, Pickman, and the chow from the chow Garden.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought you were going to try to do an FMK here grub. But there's four options. Now.
Speaker 1: I could never kill any of those. Absolutely not. All right, let's see here. Capcom needed to be convinced to bring Resident Evil one and two to Gog and these are the original Resident Evils the originals. This is from Chris String at The Game Business. A year ago, GOG released the original Resident Evil one, two, and three on its platform. And I mean the original ones, not the remix or the HDU remasters, but the games as they were, albeit with a few technical tweaks, especially to get them running on modern hardware. I was one of the people that spearheaded this project, says Marsian Pashinsky, Gog's senior business, business and development manager.
Speaker 2: Capcom.
Speaker 1: We're like, we have all those we have all those remakes. It's already the superior experience to those games, so they didn't really see the value in bringing back the vanilla versions. It took a lot of convincing that there's an audience that has a lot of memories about those games and would love to experience exactly those games again. Thankfully, we were able to convince them, and apparently it worked out. Those games did pretty well on GOG. I do find this frustrating jan that these publishers, even Capcom, have to be reminded that they're the nostalgia that powers the remakes for these games, so it makes them successful. Actually extends to the original versions as well, and you could probably keep doing more with even that stuff. Now, don't expect the biggest numbers, but just you know, do a little bit of effort or hand it over to Gog and see if they're willing to do it for you, so we can so one we can get these games and be able to purchase them again.
Speaker 2: But also just like basic preservation work, right, Yeah, the preservation aspect of it is immense for me grub Also like Capcom doesn't have to do anything really right, this is like not free money, but like a source of passive income that they could just rely on. If people are playing the remakes and they want to check out what is this a remake of? They can go back to the older game and it's right there for them. If you go to Gog and people in chowder Port, like a Ken versus RHEU is correct. That's why it places studios like night Dive or so great because of like preserving the Og game and then you know, putting a little bit of stank on it. Good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like it doesn't even require all that extra effort that Night Dive does. It really can be just get it running, make sure it's you know, like when you boot it up. It doesn't have any funkiness to it, which is a lot of the stuff that Gog does, and that'll go a long way. And you know, those Resident Evil one, two, and three games on PC are also like curios, right because they're not exactly like the PlayStation versions that most people are going to remember. They have some of their own quirks that they're mostly the same game, but there's some differences and uh so, like, oh, they're interesting on their own, even separate from enabling people to go back and like have re experienced their memories or whatever. It's going to be like, oh, hey, how did these early PC ports Resident from Capcom even work in the first place? We can go experience it that way. Yeah, excellent, all right, real quick, I think we did get official numbers from Electronic Arts for Battlefield six seven million copies sold in three days, which we're pointing out that Alinia set six point five million before that point, so that does sound like that number was incredibly accurate. Let's see here, First and foremost, we went to thank our players, said Battlefield Studios general manager Byron Bead in a press release. Battlefield six was built with our fans from the initial concept through to the implementation of Battlefield Labs and into the record shattering open beta. We have been obsessed with player feedback. Together with our players, we've had a singular goal to craft the best battlefield ever. And this is just the beginning. Our first season of new content is just twelve days away.
Speaker 2: Let's see, did they.
Speaker 1: People, I'm just checking the new story right now, did they say anything about the Battle Royale, whether or that's going to pop off, because again I'm hearing that that could happen before the end of the month, So I wonder if that's something they start talking about very soon, although they are still in the immediate days after this game is out, and maybe that's something they want to talk about, just like right as it's about to happen. It could even be a shadow drop, because that worked out for Apex Legends, right, and that's been that's been AA's experience with this, so I could see them ago. Okay, nothing concrete, Thank you Alcoholocaust. All right, let's see here last story. This is a peaceful Trails that we're going to say to Tobobu Itagaki, who died at fifty eight. Itagaki the former Techno director who created the Dead or Alive series as well as the Modern Ninja guiding game series. In two thousand and four, passed away, he did post a message on Facebook that he entrusted to someone. Let's just read this. It starts with my last words, the light of my life is finally about to fade. The fact that this message has been posted means that the time has come at last. I am no longer in this world. My life was a series of battles. I kept on winning. I also caused a lot of trouble. I take pride in having fought through to the end according to my own convictions. I have no regrets. However, I am filled with sorrow that I was unable to deliver a new work to my fans. I'm sorry. That's how it is. So it goes to Minobu Itagaki. That's a yeah, it's definitely a but we can salute him there, Yeah, salutes and shad absolutely Itagaki was. I loved it Agaki. He's definitely some controversy association associated with him. But the thing I always liked was you would often hear this sort of characterization of Japanese people in Japanese development and very conservative, very professional. They don't know how to use any technology other than fax machines and stuff like that. And then you would go meet these people who are actually responsible for these games, like it Agaki, and he was a rock star, and he was brash and would just like say it, how it is.
Speaker 2: That kind of guy.
Speaker 1: And it's like, this guy's in charge of Dead or Live and like, is one of the a prominent game developer. Why do people try to put this entire country of developers into a box when this guy's out here showing just how wrong that is. And I always appreciated that he was just always so himself, even if that his self was a bit of a character. He started, like I think his first game that he worked on was Super Technobile on Super Nintendo and shots Out. I'm wearing the shirt and honor him. That is a fantastic game. And he learned from the people that worked on the original Ninja guiding games. Took that was told by Techno, hey we want a game to compete with Virtual Fighter. He went and made Dead or Alive and then made the excellent Ninja Guiding games.
Speaker 2: So rest in peace.
Speaker 1: It Agaki fifty eight boy, Jan I'm closer to that than I am to twenty. That's I'm not just trying to make it about me, but boy, mortality, it just it's a thing that it can come for. When it starts hitting developers that are that I'm this familiar with, it always hits me pretty hard. Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I fifty eight is very young in the grand scheme of things. Grub Oh always one of those super cool devs that you would see in like magazine interviews or in like interviews that wound up on like early G four or you know, the dawn of games media on the Internet. You would just think, like, holy crap, this dude is swaggy as hell, and he makes dead or alive and he makes Ninja gate guided. This guy's cool, I want. And it's just a shame, grub It's just a shame that for him to pass so young. But I mean, his legacy I think is going to live on because damn yep, we all love ninjas and boobs yep.
Speaker 1: Shouts out to one of the progenitors of jiggle physics. Absolutely. He He also is a guy that knew how to play the media. Like the character the persona he was putting on was clearly to benefit like his games and heed like. He admitted that at points, I'll read this from the little he's a worker. Absolutely. It Agchi consistently gave harsh opinions on Namco's Techan games, mainly due to his grudge against the company for its insulting radio commercial on his Dead or Alive game, he stated he never forgotten an insult to his family and would retaliate with nuclear missiles more than one hundred times for that.
Speaker 2: This a lot, This along with the with his views, along with that this what were excuse me?
Speaker 1: This, along with what he views as Techan's stagnation in the fighting game genre starting with tech and four, led him to condemn the tech In series, placing it as his top five hated games, in spite of him stating tech and tech and two and tech and three were good games which his family enjoyed. In twenty twenty five, series director Katsuhiro Harada revealed that Itagaki had apologized privately to Namco Bandai in two thousand and eight, saying he had respected tech In and its staff and that his aggressive language was part of a strategy to draw media attention, especially from gullible Western gaming outlets. Uh yeah, he knows what he knew what he was doing. And again I love that, like a worker is one hundred percent right, Jan that was a worker, and I gaming was much better for him, one.
Speaker 2: Hundred Fuck these chuds that we got Nowmont could never never, could never.
Speaker 1: Oh, Marino's got a link here in chat for people where here he is on PlayStation Underground before the quote unquote persona. Yeah, yeah, I love that a guy that knew what he was doing. Uh fifty eight. Uh he was, he was very cool. We're gonna miss Tobenubu Itagaki, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, real quick up j Fan sixty four in the twitch chat, which is that? I think that's just Jason Finelli linked a tweet from Herada eulogizing it has it's a very very lovely message, and I think it just shows how cool both of them were and are, and it has like maybe the sickest photo from yeah, nineties or two thousands of both of them.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, and fighting game developers are just so goddamn cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I'm just I think I'm gonna maybe after the bombathon, I'm just gonna shed this persona and just lean into a dirt bag. Yeah, and we'll all know, you know, we'll all just yeah it.
Speaker 1: Agaki's final message that he sent to Harada was let's see her. I scrolled away, Let's go drinking. Let's make some noise soon. That's that's a dude, right, there's a major dude.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once again, rest in peace, peaceful trails to Ittagaki from everyone at Giant bum.
Speaker 2: I hope physics up there and heaven free, big dog.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move on here.
Speaker 1: We do have a poll question now that we need to hit from yesterday's show. We go ahead and get where I was at with the results over there. Oh that's an opera. There we go. I'm going to refresh, make sure I have the most recent results, all right, now that you've seen reviews, are you getting the rog xbox ally or ally x? Ninety four percent say no, six percent say yes. And that's more than three thousand votes, so I mean, look, some people are being one over about it. That's not a huge number. But the thing is one thousand dollars and it was selling out, like you pointed it out on the show yesterday. With that Backlar and Dan did. The thing was selling out. It went I think it went up for sale again this morning. I don't know if it's still available. People are going to buy this thing, and it will get improved through updates. I'm just not in a mood to spend one thousand dollars personally to go through that process. If it gets there, I will reconsider, but I bet by the time I do that, it'll be even more expensive because these things aren't getting.
Speaker 2: Cheaper, right, Greb, because now you're playing the game of chicken of do you get it now when it's already a high ticket item. Yeah, that's or it goes up in price. Yeah. I'm curious as to how many of these people voted in this poll before Dan and Bacclar's little tech stream where they kind of broke down the issues, not even issues, just like the quirks of the machine itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Dan's experience is going to be an ede case, but I don't think it's going to be. I think people are gonna have similar things. It won't be that exact problem because obviously that's that was just a review issue. But when you I think the point I'm trying to make is when you do encounter a problem on a device like this Windows handheld, solving it is especially frustrating going through the process is to figure out what app you're supposed to be into, what you're supposed to be even be fixing it's not just all one contained thing, and that is kind of that was my sort of floor there. I want them to take this full screen experience and make sure that everything that I need to do on this handheld can be done through that, so that I don't have to deal with the rest of Windows and I, of course I for Microsoft. That's a pretty high floor, but it's still my personal standard and I'm not going to lower the standard so Microsoft can clear it, especially when we could see it can be done on stuff like the Steam Deck, which is not perfect by any means, but in terms of picking up to a handheld device that does not have a keyboard, and I was gonna say it doesn't have a mouse, the steam Deck does have a trackpad, which is pretty handy better than a touchscreen for navigating an OS. But when you when you do have a problem in the Steam Deck, you actually don't need to boot up in the desktop mode, even though you can and can do stuff over there. If you want to get into the we with the thing. It does empower you to do that, but most people are never ever going to have to have that issue.
Speaker 2: Grub did you see howw people are digging into these and it and Microsoft Teams was pre installed on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like, of course it is because it's just Windows. And it's like, it's not like I was expecting a more thoughtful version of Windows for this device, and it's like, no, it really is just Windows. And then this thing on top of it, which you know does make several important changes, but uh, Teams is still installed for a device that does not have a camera. Maybe it hasn't It probably has a microphone, so I guess you could use it to talk to people. But Jesus Christ, have used teams on one of these devices, and it's not like set up basio like your desktop, like plugged in with a keyboard and a mouse and all that stuff. You should be committed. It should be put away. I don't know. That's strange. All right, Uh, we have a new poll question. We'll get to it here and you actual let's just do it right now. Have you ever purchased an old game on God?
Speaker 2: Yes or no?
Speaker 1: Curious to see what the audience breakdown is on that. You know, it's definitely something where it's like, oh, yeah, I was looking for that game. I should just check out, and it's like, oh awesome, it is on here more often than it's not these days for me, which is fantastic stuff. We'll get the results of that, talk about it on Game Mess Mornings here on Giant Bomb tomorrow to finish up the week. Speaking of Giant Bomb, Jim got some stuff popping off today, including here in a little bit, me and Dan are gonna do this is the run. We're gonna be playing some capsulum.
Speaker 2: That's right. I stayed up like making a fun a little splash art for it. Fantastic choice. It's really messed up. It's really messed up. Instead of a hidden Mickey, there is a hidden Mikey in it. Man.
Speaker 1: That should be our thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very excited about. And then after that, today we have a friend of the website, Danica Herrod, coming onto the voicemail dumb truck folks, We're gonna do everything we can to prevent Mikey from sharing his barbecue joke with her.
Speaker 1: Yep, we have the power to mute him, to kick him from calls, and we will exercise that power to protect base checked to everyone mostly at this point me though, I will go insane if I hear it again. All Right, Plenty more happening on the website tomorrow as well, so keep hanging out with us. We really appreciate everyone who has jan thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. Man, I really appreciate it. It is the best way to start a Thursday. Thank you all for watching and listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.