Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of how to Money on KFI.
Speaker 2: It's our buddy Joel lars Guard. Morning Joel, morning, Amy. We know you are going.
Speaker 1: To head out for vacation because this is the last time we're going to talk to you for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Where are you guys going? So we are going to head over to Hawaii.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my wife's best friend lives there, so we'll be staying with them for a few days and we'll hit up the Big Island for five.
Speaker 2: Or six days.
Speaker 1: And look at that how to Money Joel has figured out how not to spend money on a hotel room in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Stay with a friend, especially in expensive places like Hawaii to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about these new cell services, their mv n O. What does m v NO stand for.
Speaker 2: Mobile Virtual Network Operator? And what is yeah? Okay, so basically.
Speaker 3: It's all of these these new name brands are trying to establish themselves as name brands. The big three are you know, Verizon and AT and T and T Mobile. Those are the ones you see the ads for everywhere. And if you've been if you're a little more online, you've seen the ads for companies like mint Mobile, which is an mb and o that runs on T mobiles network. But there have just been a proliferation of these mb and o's and they're essentially, you know, buying space from the big three and then they're reselling cell service at a much cheaper price to the general public. And so if you don't fall for the advertising when you're watching your favorite sports team, then you're you're actually doing your research. You could save a ton of money on cell phone service. And it's amazing. It's one of those things where in the era of inflation, we have seen a downward trend in prices on cell phone service, and so what used to be a good price three years ago, even you're you're overpaying if you haven't reshopped your cell phone service. So it's it's really important to re shop. They're Mint Mobile. I just mentioned they're a great one. Us Mobile is my current favorite, and they've got some of the best plans. We're talking about unlimited cell phone service with talk, text and data as well well. For the low low price of seventeen dollars and fifty cents a month if you prepay for a year, that's pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: Okay, that and you pre pay for a year, so it would be about two hundred bucks, right, Yeah, I mean I pay almost that in a month.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm always shocked by this, but when you look at the stats of what the average I'm always baffled. I'm like, there's no way this is true. The stats show that the average person pays something like one hundred dollars a month for cell phone service, and I'm like that that can't be right because I'm paying not much more than that for cell phone service for a full year. So if that is true, if those numbers really are accurate, then some people must be paying much more than one hundred dollars a month. If I'm paying a whole lot less, and I think a lot of folks think amy, well, then I must be getting this inferior product. I'm getting this third rate cell phone service. And you do have to look at the fine print. For instance, with US Mobile, yeah it's unlimited data, but after ten gigs, they're going to throttle you, so you're not going to get as fast as speeds. The truth is also that most people don't use even ten gigs in a month because they're on Wi Fi at work, they're on Wi Fi at home, and unless you're watching like copious amounts of YouTube videos when you're driving around in your car or walking the streets of your neighborhood, you don't need that much data.
Speaker 2: And there are other options out.
Speaker 3: There too, like Google's Google has a pretty good cell phone service as well that works well overseas. So there are lots of options in the NB and O world. What's interesting too, is there these companies. They are new ones springing up, like the SmartLess podcast the Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Sean Hayes. They're creating a SmartLess cell phone service. I guess it's just easier than ever to create one of these companies. You know, the President has a new ish MV and O cell phone service that they announced just a couple of weeks ago. But just be careful, be wary what are you getting and how much are you paying? Because I do believe the President's is like forty seven dollars a month, and like I said, I'm paying seventeen dollars a month, So look at the trade offs between what you're getting and because yeah, I wouldn't buy it because my favorite podcast host launched one, I'm looking for the best value cell phone plan and US Mobile Mint Mobile. Those are typically two of the top two. I would recommend people check out Okay Perfect.
Speaker 1: And then you know, we're doom scrolling all over the place, and one of those places is TikTok. And so people are now getting financial advice from TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this has been a growing problem right where there's something about financial advice in sixty seconds that's cast out to everybody everywhere where.
Speaker 2: There's just it's hard to find nuance.
Speaker 3: And so there's a lot of people saying, well, I heard this on TikTok and I applied it to my life and it turns out, actually it didn't work for me. Think about getting tax advice from TikTok. I mean, it's so specialized your tax situation and what makes sense for you, you know, the tax maneuvers that are actually going to help you save on your taxes versus your neighbor. A lot of it depends on your how you make your money and do your own real estate right, all these other things. And if you're taking your tax advice from TikTok and they're trying to apply it directly to your life, you could be making a mistake. And then there's just all sorts of fraudulent claims on TikTok as well. And again, I have friends in this space.
Speaker 2: Do what I said shocking?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know right well, And I have friends in this space, and they really aren't. They're smart, they're good, They're delivering good content, good advice on TikTok and on Instagram. So I'm not like castigating everyone who creates content on these platforms. I think there are some really well intentioned people who do offer good advice and who do try to create the nuance that's necessary. It's just that there's a lot of people who aren't doing that. And there was this trend going around lately, and especially with kind of what's happening with student loan repayment now, where the government, the current administration is saying, yeah, you got to start paying your student loan bills again after three and a half years of not having to, and people are like, I didn't remember I had student loans.
Speaker 2: How much do I owe again? What's my monthly payment?
Speaker 3: And you know, a lot of people are shocked, and so a lot of people haven't, you know, because they haven't been paying. They're not paying and their credit score is getting dinged, and so you're looking for anything, you're grasping on to hope that somehow, some way you don't actually have to pay that student loan, and TikTok is more than happy to oblige and interesting theories of how you can avoid paying your student loan. And The New York Times wrote about this recently and they're basically saying, Oh, you can file acclaim based on privacy, or you can dispute a student loan record, and this is a way that you can get your student loan debt erased. And man, if only it were that easy. In fact, student loan debt is one of the hardest things to get rid of. There are special exemptions for student loans where you can't get rid of them even in bankruptcy court typically. So, yeah, if you follow this advice on TikTok, you might be excited to think that you can get rid of your student loan debt, but it's not going to happen in reality.
Speaker 1: Okay, So basically think twice before following financial advice that you get from a platform known for recipes and dance moves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stick to the recipes and dance.
Speaker 1: Moves all right. How the money on KFI, it's Joel Larsgard. You can hear him every Sunday from noon to two. Have a wonderful vacation. We'll talk to you soon, all right, Thank you, Amy, all right, take care,