Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to k i AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon kfi AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 3: Did you see the Donald Trump interview with Fox?
Speaker 2: So Laura Ingram clearly listens to our show because I said, hey, somebody just asked him about it. Ask him what he meant when he said, Christians vote now, you won't have to vote in four years. And you know what, he said, nothing, He made zero sense. When she asked him to clarify those comments, I did not hear that part.
Speaker 1: I did hear the part though, when she asked him what Mulania thought about the assassination attempt. Oh, and he said, she can't talk about it. That means she likes me, Oh yeah, or maybe she loves me. I don't know, she likes me or she loves me. It was such a it was such a real moment for him for who he is, you know, like that's the kind of marriage he has where it's just I don't know, definitely not traditional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where you have to where do you take that as the clue that your wife might have an interest in your well being.
Speaker 3: Like, do you ever question whether your wife likes you or loves you? Yes?
Speaker 4: Likes me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't question whether she loves me. There are times when I'm like, she probably doesn't like me right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. I do feel that way. That's the part that comes and goes. Yeah, that's true. I think right like is a visitor. Ronald L.
Speaker 2: Rowe Junior, This is the guy you want in charge of your Secret Service.
Speaker 5: The critical part of the Secret Service mission is protecting our nation's current and former government leaders. The attempted assassination of former President Donald J. Trump on Saturday, July thirteenth, twenty twenty four in Butler, Pennsylvania was a failure on multiple levels.
Speaker 2: And he pulls no punches. Now he has the benefit of being able to say, listen, I wasn't the guy in charge. I wasn't the gal in charge at that time. So I know that the bucks stops with Kimberly Cheatle. But when I take over. Now that I I am taking over as the acting director, here are some changes that.
Speaker 3: We're immediately going to make.
Speaker 2: Among other things, one of the things that happened since this wasn't a sitting president or vice president. They don't record the radio traffic between Secret Service agents. If it was sitting president's sitting vice president, they record all of that radio traffic for those security events that they do. But he said in this case it wasn't. Now, local police on a regular basis do record. So that's why we do have some of the Butler County and Beaver County officials or law enforcement officials talking to each other from that net.
Speaker 3: Well, and he laid out the Beaver people. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So the other thing that he said he did. One of the first things he said he did was he went to let me see if I can make sure I get the right one. He went to the roof and sat laid literally in the same place that the shooter lafe.
Speaker 5: I went to the roof of the AGR building were they assailant fired shots, and I lay it in a prone position to evaluate his line of sight. What I saw made me ashamed. As a career law enforcement officer and a twenty five year veteran with his Secret Service, I cannot defend why that roof was not better secured.
Speaker 2: Now, one of the things that he did was in that same line of questioning that he was responding to, he posted a big picture, or put up a big poster, which was a blown up picture of the view from the local snipers. The local snipers were on the second floor of that building, looking in the same direction as the shooter was, but the shooter was a little bit off to the left. But within that picture you could see an arrow pointing to the roof where the shooter was. And he went, I mean, this was no bones about it. He's laying the blame on that sniper team, that local sniper team.
Speaker 5: This is from the second floor of the AGR building. This point of view is the point of view where the counter sniper team locally was posted. The gold arrow indicates where the shooter fired from, looking left. Why was the assailant not seen when we were told that building was going to be covered, that there had been a face to face that afternoon that our team leads met.
Speaker 1: Here, Here's what I'm hearing, a lot of people covering their own ass because yesterday we heard from the local sniper team and they said they saw the guy. They tipped off the higher ups ninety minutes before the shots were fired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So explain to me that, sir, the description here is now that there's a con alluded. The way he was describing it, again, this is the acting Director of the Secret Service, Ronald Road Junior. He was describing local law enforcement and Secret Service agents. Secret Service obviously has the lead on a situation like that. The local law enforcement officers were communicating with each other a lot text messages that were going back and forth, pictures going back and forth, and then it would rise to the level of somebody sending information to the Secret Service channel. And he even used the term silos like that, there are silos of information that were not that weren't breached, they weren't connected.
Speaker 1: I believe it was after nine to eleven when you had multiple agencies responding to a mass casualty event and they were on different radio frequencies, and it led to mass confusion, and it led to mass changes across the country in terms of how different agencies communicate when they respond to something like this. A presidential rally or a former president holding a rally should be one of those incidents where you are on the same frequency local, national, all of it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a couple more pieces of sound. We're going to play for this again. This is from the Joint Congressional hearing that's going on this morning. The Secret Service, Acting Director Ronald Rowe, and then a deputy director of the FBI, A Paul abb eight or Abata.
Speaker 3: You tell me, I don't care, but that's his name.
Speaker 2: He both of these guys still talking about what's going on and their continued investigation and look back at the assassination of time. The Olympic triathlon race set to take place this morning, has been delayed because of the unsafe water poo lootion levels in the River sin. The International Olympic Committee and World Triathlon, the governing body of the sport, said that tests taken this morning revealed water quality levels that did not provide sufficient guarantees to allow the event to be held. Just imagine swimming is the first thing you do in a triathlet You swim and then you bike and then you run. It doesn't hit that fast, no, but I mean just imagine if some sort of it'll be the following day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, take it from a questionable taco at the stadium in Mexico City. Look at the Olympics, Look at Simon Biles getting ready for this this final round. That it's palpable, isn't it? The pressure, the weight on her shoulders palpable. She seems pretty cool, she seems she seems dialed in. Yeah, but wow, that that's so much pressure to put on yourself and her lower extremity.
Speaker 2: Oh good, is still taped, but but it's different. The tape the other night was ankle centric. This is calf centric. It doesn't even in fact cover her ankle. She had a tear there.
Speaker 3: Ah, yeah, yeah, that sounds awful.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean, I mean, people play injured all the time. It's it's it's what athletes do.
Speaker 3: That's what they do. That's why they're athletes. But we will not spoil any of what's going on line, No, but we are going to be totally distracted by it.
Speaker 2: The women's team final just started a few minutes ago, so we're watching the American athletes and they'll be out of the background.
Speaker 1: So yesterday when we were watching the Olympics and it was the men's gymnastics team, and.
Speaker 3: You said, what's up with that guy?
Speaker 1: You said it right away, and by yesterday evening the entire world was going.
Speaker 3: What's up with that guy? Yeah? That guy.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you about Steven Ataroschik. I think that's how you say his name. Sure coming up in the next seven and we're talking about the Secret Service Acting Director Ronald Rowe and a deputy director of the FBI, who are testifying again today, this one in front of a joint congressional hearing about the assassination attempt on former President Trump, and the FBI deputy director talked a little bit about about some new information that he had regarding this guy's online presence, because again, the shooter, twenty years old, had a very very small, at least as far as we know, online presence.
Speaker 6: Something just very recently uncovered that I want to share is a social media account which is believed to be associated with the shooter. In about the twenty nineteen twenty twenty timeframe, there were over seven hundred comments posted from this account. Some of these comments, if ultimately attributable to the shooter, appear to reflect anti Semitic and anti immigration themes, to espouse political violence, and are described as extreme in nature.
Speaker 2: Now, it was funny because he was very careful to say if these posts could be attributed to this guy, because there's still the question of how does it. I mean, he would have been fifteen sixteen years old at the time that he made these social media posts, and he didn't describe what platform they were on specifically, So this continues to go on. We talked about the acting Director Ronald Rowe of the US Secret Service and what kind of information went into whether or not.
Speaker 3: The suspect that they knew.
Speaker 2: They knew that this guy was suspicious, they were tracking him for almost ninety minutes before the actual shooting, and California Senator of Lafonse Butler asked, Okay, well, if we know this guy is out there, how come how come the former president was allowed to take the stage in the first world to help.
Speaker 4: Us understand the communication that either was or was not happening directly with the president former President's detail to make the call to delay ten minutes when we've all been to these events they never happened on time, but to delay while this was being investigated.
Speaker 5: So the detail all they you know, they were were operating on their net, which our security room was monitoring, but again having information of a suspicious individual. There were other calls that day of individuals that came to the tension of law enforcement of people that needed medical attention. So it really that particular regarding the assailant, that never really rose to a level of we should we should not put them out there. Had we known that there was a dangerous individual out there, we would never let a protectee go out on stage again.
Speaker 2: And the difference between suspicious and dangerous or a specific threat, all of that is I mean, he's got it in his mind. It's probably hard for us to recognize what's the different.
Speaker 1: Levels of suspicion. We were talking about it in the office. There is a false sense of security at this point. With the number of rallies Trump has held, it's always been just fine. You know, most of the time people see security and they decide that they are not going to take action. But there was definitely a false sense of security there among the Secret Service and the local guys.
Speaker 3: And you described it as a failure of imagination.
Speaker 5: I think this was a failure of imagination, a failure to imagine that we actually do live in a very dangerous world where people do actually want to do You should know that.
Speaker 1: I want the Secret Service to think everybody is a potential to be a shooter, right, don't they shouldn't they be the last Pollyanna people in the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm okay with them being.
Speaker 1: Constantly just be thinking about the worst in human nature.
Speaker 3: And the thing is, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're talking about going to the Democratic National Convention in a couple of weeks and you have to go through a very very secure Secret Service checkpoint before you're allowed anywhere. We were, but we were all detained at one point. The thing is, I'm okay with that. I'm okay with them being comfortable. I know that I'm not a threat, so I feel okay with that. There was an article in the Washington Post today just to wrap this up in terms of this topic. The shooter stopped shooting. He got eight rounds off, but he stopped shooting after a local law enforcement officer returned fire, so he was able to get at least one shot off at the bad guy, and the bad guy stopped shooting, didn't pull the trigger again until a Secret Service agent put one through his through his meat box or whatever part of his head.
Speaker 1: Meat box that's a new one. That's the right meat box, seems like it would be in another part of the body. Yeah, you're right, I'll say through his spaghetti bowl.
Speaker 3: I'll ca all right.
Speaker 2: So but yes, they said that his retreat coincided with a ten second pause in the shooting, according to some audio people who have examined the gunshots that appear on different videos. We watched dead Pool Wolverine last night and there was a scene where they have these cameos come in, and it's very funny because it's such an it's such a weird like, Okay, who's going to come through the doorway? So somebody comes in and you're like, whoa, I haven't seen that person in a long time. And then the next one comes in, You're like, oh my gosh, they brought.
Speaker 3: That one back.
Speaker 2: And then you keep waiting for who's going to come through the doorway, And it was really funny.
Speaker 1: I feel like this is going to be when I read Ready Player one where I understood or I grasped probably about seventeen percent of it.
Speaker 3: I still enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: It was still a great story, but I knew what I was not understanding.
Speaker 3: You knew that was a joke for someone. I didn't get it, but you hear.
Speaker 2: Yes, there were some funny lines where I think I know what the joke was but other people in the back would laugh or somebody would applaud when some they referenced some other character or something like that.
Speaker 3: It was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: It was good, but it was a lot of fun, and I understand why people hate it because it was not serious.
Speaker 1: Stephen Netaro sick can solve a Rubik's Cube in eight point six eight seconds. He's exactly what he looks like. What you saw on the telly when you saw Steven was exactly who he is. He does enjoy playing video games. He gets all of the jokes and Ready Player one totally and he's only twenty five years old.
Speaker 2: His coach says, Stephen is quirky, is funny, his goofy, He dances to his own tune, and he.
Speaker 1: Also happens to be better than everyone on the planet when it comes to swinging his body around that pommel horse. That's why he was placed on the team. And the story gets better when you hear about all the people that doubted that placement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had nothing to do until he had everything to do. Pommel Horse was the final event for the US and he was the final competitor.
Speaker 3: He was the cleanup hitter. He waited in his sweatsuit, cupped.
Speaker 2: His hand to his face, screaming through his teammate's routines, and at one point Netterosik left the arena to practice pommel horse set up in the gym that's hidden from the public. Though through all of this, they said he delivered one fantastic performance after another and said he visualized his routine about one hundred times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they said he visualized it while the other guys were doing their stuff, and he just kept going through his over and over and over again. He said, sometimes I think I do it too much, but what else am I going to do with those empty spaces.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing about him and the reason that I when we were talking about it yesterday, was on the TV when we were doing the show, and they won the big celebration because they won the bronze and it was the first time I think in sixteen years that American men had meddled, and so it was a good moment for them. I mean, it looked like, since we weren't listening, it looked like they had won the gold because of the amount of celebration.
Speaker 3: But this one guy kind.
Speaker 2: Of off to the corner like it was one of the one of these kids is doing his own thing.
Speaker 3: He stuck out.
Speaker 2: He's a littler guy, seems like ye and he has these giant Clark Kent glasses on, and it was just it just did not fit the vibe of the rest of the team. So we asked, who's that guy? And it turns out everybody was asking the same question.
Speaker 3: He became.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's multiple articles about Steven Ettarosik today.
Speaker 3: Yesterday. You wouldn't have had no idea who he was.
Speaker 1: It was when he was placed on the team, and he knew it, He says, I was completely aware of it. I really wanted to make the Olympic team, and I knew there was going to be backlash to it. I do one event compared to these guys that are phenomenal all arounders, and I'm a phenomenal horse guy, but it's hard to fit on a five guy team. He was in parised to do this forty second routine three times. On Saturday, he'll have a chance to win an individual gold in the apparatus final.
Speaker 3: How fun is that going to be to watch.
Speaker 1: Ps Those leotards on the women, they feature thousands of crystals. You know how much they cost a piece? Three thousand dollars?
Speaker 3: Wow, what are they going to do with them when they're done?
Speaker 1: I mean, how much was Mary lou Retten's leotard? Like seven bucks? It's come a long way.
Speaker 3: Well, there were no jewels on it. There were no jewels. I don't remember. I'm actually surprised that they allowed that much.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Bling. It's a lot of blinging, isn't it? And would you want that?
Speaker 2: I mean, I assume there's that's like tiny little pebbles all over your suit or your what do you call it?
Speaker 1: Well, it's the same as figure skaters. They're used to it. They go to competitions in it all the time.
Speaker 3: I guess that's true.
Speaker 2: But would I would assume that there's a better chance that you're going to fall or something and cause significant damage.
Speaker 1: To your handle crystals than fine, don't be a gymnast.
Speaker 3: You are absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Netterosic, hardly recruited while in high school, eventually went to Penn State, prominent elite gymnasts since the since the last Olympics in Tokyo. Initially known as the goggles Guy because he wore sport glasses like Bill Lambier, when he competed, he said he has ditched the glasses at least during competition, and he said, I don't think I actually use my eyes on the pommel horse. It's all feeling I see with my hands. He did have a chance to compete at Tokyo, partly because of an atypical format, of course because of cod but a single event specialist was perfect for an individual role, he said. He fell at the trials, though, and the squad brought a different pommel horse guy to Tokyo instead. He did eventually that later that year in twenty one, went to the World Championships, won the gold medal on the pommel horse and the world's held immediately after an Olympic feature, just individual competition, and when Atosik earned the spot on the US squad and twenty two, he failed to deliver in the team final, So he's got some they'll keep their eyes on this guy. And like you said, Saturday is when he gets to go for the individual gold. On the individual apparatus, He's.
Speaker 3: Going to be totally known as the pommel horse guy, right, the goggle pommel horse guy.
Speaker 1: Goggle goggle, got it you you're trying to get in on something that you've got no business getting in on.
Speaker 3: Okay, really right, relax.
Speaker 1: I was talking to miss Patricia this morning during ballet. Stop laughing, she's real. You've met her. It's not an imaginary friend.
Speaker 3: Even Jacob shaking his head, he knows. Whatever. You guys were talking. Who do you think you've met? Then? Do you think I hire that person? Yes, we've already established this.
Speaker 2: You hire this beautiful, nice woman to come and pretend to be your ballet teacher.
Speaker 3: You think of how crazy it sounds.
Speaker 1: It sounds right freaking okay, Yeah, I mean we.
Speaker 3: Don't actually I don't actually go to ballet. What do you call a studio?
Speaker 2: I just do it on a zoom call so that you know it's easier. Oh okay, so you don't actually have to be in the same room with a human being.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we live very far away from each other. I'm sure that you do. I also live far away from my imaginary friend. What's his name?
Speaker 2: His name is Carl, and he lives like law in Canada. Do you call him mister Carl sometimes?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What do you guys do together?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Batting practice? Anyway.
Speaker 1: I was talking to miss Patricia this morning and she was reminding me of a time when the Ballets sold more tickets than professional football.
Speaker 3: Oh, she just fell off the bars. How do you do that? Oh my goodness, that's not good, you guys. She felt flat like a piece of plywood onto the math. Oh that's not good. That's not good. Ah, I can't do that.
Speaker 1: Oh no, wait, is that warm ups? That's warm ups. That wasn't the real deal.
Speaker 3: It couldn't have been. It was not. Okay, is that.
Speaker 1: Would have been a disaster. Okay, complete disaster for the United States.
Speaker 3: That was a warm up.
Speaker 2: Spoiler alert, that was a warm up. Yeah, anyway, okay. Mis Patrachy says the ballet used to sell more tickets than professional football. And I said, well, now we're a stupid people and we like to watch gladiator sports. Yeah, we are back to our lizard brains.
Speaker 3: We see that.
Speaker 1: I just thought about that because I got more TikTok videos sent to me.
Speaker 3: That's what we do now for entertainment.
Speaker 1: Look at stupid videos of stuff, and that's how we communicate with each other.
Speaker 2: Here have a stupid video. Look at this funny, dumb thing I saw. You should see it too. Yes, yeah, I wasted my brain cells.
Speaker 1: All culture and intelligence has been to the bottom, squeezed out of society. All right, just an update really quick out of northwestern England. This is a story we talked about yesterday as it was unfolding.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately got worse. Now.
Speaker 1: Three young girls have killed have been killed in a stabbing rampage at a Taylor Swift theme dance and yoga class. The seventeen year old suspect has been arrested. Now we're learning about the little girls. Nine year old Alice, Elise is seven, was seven, and Babe was six. And those three little girls nine, seven and six died. Alice's parents said in a statement released by police, keep smiling and dancing like you love to do, our princess. You are always our princess, and no one would change that.
Speaker 2: There's still eight kids and two adults in the hospital. Five of the kids are in critical condition, as are both of the adults.
Speaker 1: Taylor Swift wrote on Instagram. She's completely in shock. She's still taking in the horror of the event. She said, there were just these little kids at a dance class. I'm going to complete loss for however, to convey my sympathies to these families.
Speaker 2: This I saw an interview this morning on Sky News, one of the British networks, with a guy who lives in that neighborhood. He has a stepdaughter, I believe, who has been to that dance studio for events before and said this is eerie.
Speaker 3: It's just weird.
Speaker 7: I think the main thing so far has been very somber and quiet, a lot of reflection, and I think and I hope that most people's thoughts in the moment have focused on the victims of this terrible thing, and it's difficult for everybody, and you can feel at the town and the people are quiet. I've walked over here today and usually especially in summer, Southport is a very vibrant family town and it feels very quiet and you see parents with children and just give you a bit of a shit.
Speaker 4: With a moment.
Speaker 1: The way it was described yesterday did sound like a horror movie with bloodied children running from the scene in this small neighborhood. Now, apparently there has been a recent rise in knife crime in the UK and there have been heightened anxieties allegedly, and that there have been more calls for the government to do more to clamp down on bladed weapons. They are by far the most commonly used instruments in UK homicides knives. So we're all just killing each other. It depends what country you're in, how you're doing it, right, That's what I'm getting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which tool you're going to use? Good lord.
Speaker 2: They said they're not treating this as a terror related attacker and not looking for any other suspects. The teenager who did it was arrested soon afterwards. He was born in Cardiff in Wales, had lived for years in a village about three miles away from Southport. Technically has not yet been charged with this crime, but.
Speaker 1: Britain's worst attack on children occurred in nineteen ninety six, when forty three year old guy shot sixteen kindergarteners and their teacher in a school gym in Scotland. That was a blind spot for me. That sounds very reminiscent of Sandy Hook, does it not.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I remember this was Dunblane, right, yeah, Dunblane exactly.
Speaker 1: The UK subsequently banned the private ownership of almost all handguns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of those things that people have pointed to in terms of a reaction that the United States should have. They want to see something like that in place after we've seen so many horrific acts like this.
Speaker 3: We are not the UK and that will never happen. This is all.
Speaker 2: We have a ton love affair guns than they do. Yes, that's one of the issues of one of many. One of many won't allow.
Speaker 3: That to happen. One of the reasons we left.
Speaker 2: Oh, we left the King. Yeah, well the King was kind of an able wait to the whole reduce it. Well, I'm pretty sure that that's what they were saying back in the old days. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lab