Speaker 1: Bring live.
Speaker 2: I mean, iHeartRadio. While this is I on the Ball with ste Bravera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to iball hero Fox Sports Fortune fifteen. I'm Steve, He's Jay. Now we have one with breaking news.
Speaker 2: This is I on the Ball, Breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: Happy Friday to everyone out there. From your shoe of the mister two shoes.
Speaker 3: Mister storm, mister field storm over over here, running down your resume of field storms, I might have to change. Wait, any court storms too, there's been one, just the one. You are too young? Yeah, he never mind? No court storms here, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: Starting off breaking news with the kind of controversial awarding of the Olympic Bronze Middle Uh for the Romanian gymnast and Barbosu. She actually got it to she got them visit got it. She was presented at the Capitol. She said it was heavier than she thought it would be, but she'd wear it every day.
Speaker 3: Well it's so heavy, you know, she shouldn't even have it. So let me ask you this.
Speaker 5: I saw that she had made a statement about it. What would you say if you're her and I have The reason I ask is I don't know. They're both deserving obviously or not. But yeah, the other girl won, well, not according to the I will see.
Speaker 3: Well, I know, but over some you know, technical ruling, who had the best score the girl who didn't get the metal? Simple as that. Yeah, I don't I don't want to but fight with you. But look if they had said, you know what, with all this controversy, all this stuff, and let's just give them both the bronze medal, I had no issue with that. Yeah, and that's what the people were saying. And I had an issue with that. But I don't know why. No, I think I think the girl who had the best portion of have gotten that. Things fair anymore. I don't know.
Speaker 5: You're probably right, but I wonder what she said, you know, I thank you whatever. I appreciate her for doing what she did.
Speaker 3: It was close. I don't what do you say? What do you say? Social media?
Speaker 4: I would probably just try to stick to the thank you, thank you, the opportunities all that to the NFL. After placing J. J. McCarthy on IR, the Vikings have signed quarterback Matt Corral Who Matt Correll? You played? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, I think he was drafted by the Panthers.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's gonna be a lot of young quarterbacks in the league this year, a lot of good ones, former college good ones.
Speaker 4: I'm honestly surprised that with with McCarthy being out, some of these other teams, the Falcons, the Bears, Broncos, they haven't already said like, hey, we're gonna we're gonna sit them out the rest of the preseason, get them ready for the season.
Speaker 6: Yea.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so they ay Man, Colin Kaepernick's out there, they could have had him. Well, he's no coach going to be I'm going to be a coach.
Speaker 4: For the Bengals. They're tackled Deontay Smith suffered a Potellier tendon injury. Said he's gonna be You're gonna miss the upcoming season.
Speaker 3: Yea, God, yeah, he just gets sick to your stomach when you hear these guys, you know, or they spent all off you know, getting ready for a season and then they're not. They don't even get to the season and they're that just gotta suck. And when do you think about it too, You're you know, you're an athlete, you've got X amount of years to play, you just lose.
Speaker 5: Well, we just lose one of our guys that we had on the show, a guy who I kind of think of his a friend Punxtra, right, he was all he did was catch touchdowns here and he went to San Francisco. We got on the I R there and played was on the practice squad or whatever it was. And he's out because of his injuries and what that dude could leap out of tall builder.
Speaker 3: That's just too bad. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sticking with the Bengals, they have agreed with their kicker, Evan McPherson on a three year, sixteen point five million dollar extension. I think he's one of the best kickers.
Speaker 5: In a year Steve to kick a football. Well, we picked the wrong profession, we did.
Speaker 3: I could have been a kicker. Yeah, it's funny. It's because I was short.
Speaker 5: It's funny when Eric Grudgery, I was short. I was the short pudge. You want to know you're not. No, we were the short pudge he was. We're still the short pudget was even today the short Well, we wish to be six.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: So on the topic of Colin Kaepernick, he was offered that job by Jim Barbark, but he won't be on the coach coaching staff this year. He said, there's a possibility of in the future.
Speaker 3: I wonder what he's doing. What's yeah, I mean you know what, Yeah, I guess he's holding out to play. But Colin, it's just yeah, you know, it's it's time. You haven't played in so long, Nico, give him a call.
Speaker 5: You told me, get over it already, and you know, figure it out, because how many years has been. He's got to be thirty two ish, thirty three ish, No, and he's older than that, okay, even more, even more so.
Speaker 4: He stuck around for his colleges, right, he like finished it out.
Speaker 5: So at that point you already what twenty three, Yeah, he's about thirty two thirty three.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's getting looking him up? You going to google him? He is thirty six? Oh yeah, okay, coach, start coaching. He's thirty he's thirty six, and he hasn't played since two thousand and sixty sixty eight years. What would take the damn coaching job? Take the job?
Speaker 4: Well, Harbaugh said that he's not going to be a coach this year because his coaching staff is set for Oh okay, I see. It wasn't a we can't Oh oh, I thought he didn't want to. It's his coaching staff. Thank you for stra this season. Okay, just thirty ready to go?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Coaches?
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Final thing with the NFL that I have preseason week two? This week, he goes beat the Patriots last night, Drake and May got to show what he could do. He let us scoring drive.
Speaker 3: Is he gonna be the starter?
Speaker 4: So the head coach Mayo, He said that the competition, the quarterback competition is definitely not over.
Speaker 3: Who's the other guy over there?
Speaker 4: They it's not that Jones it No, he's with the Jaguars. He's competing with Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Right, well, he's backing up Lawrence.
Speaker 4: He yeah, I was trying to be nice. No, but I think they drafted the the Tennessee quarterback along with the May Joe Milton.
Speaker 3: I think, okay, all right, he's been doing it too, So that's one of those guys.
Speaker 4: More than likely. I think they think they have. Jacob Bybers said too, I'm not entirely sure. Okay, all right, tons of matchups this week. Should be fun to see some of the rookies go out there and make the plays. Uh to the college world. There is a substantial doubt over a company of one of the University of Miami boosters, John Louis his company. They don't know how financially stable they are right now. So it's one of the first stories where you're not sure if that school's gonna get that money. Right.
Speaker 5: Well, that was the quarterback, didn't they when he left he was offered allegedly ate thirteen million.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was Florida. Who was this? This is Miami University? That was Florida.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was something similar though at Miami where you know the name of the company.
Speaker 3: But this guy Ruiz, he's been there have been questions about him for a long time right right now. But the one you're talking about that and then the guy and then came to a su and I was out of Florida.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, I thought it was Miami. Okay, because that the one with Ruiz you said is right, he's been skeed.
Speaker 3: He's been sketchy for her for a while.
Speaker 4: Well, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: So much of this though. It's just like, I mean, the collectives and whoever. Do you just got to do your homework on somebody before you roll somebody outs? Oh these are our guys, right, because there's there's shady people out there.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't envy the universities. I don't anybody the people who are giving the money, because it's never gonna end. It's never gonna end. Because you know, if you had money, jenasku us, would you give it away?
Speaker 3: Would you give? And not just this year for years to come? Right? Yeah? I just guess five million bucks a year was like what?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've dubbed him the Miami and I l King.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they might take that title away.
Speaker 4: We'll see what happens with that nickname. Uh So we talked about it a little bit earlier, but the ex Michigan staff are Connors. Stallions is now coaching added Detroit High school defensive coordinator, which is, for no, a low level analyst. I had read somewhere that he was supposed to be the defense part. But a low level analyst for a high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of low level, isn't it. Don't tell that to an high school coach for somebody who thought he was on his way to a college coaching job, right, or at least that's what he was trying to do. So you know, you know that he's not he'll he will never be a college coach. The penalties and stuff like that for for this still have to go out and the details of exactly what he was, how this happened, and what he was doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's taking in college. The Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs has resigned from the school and in one of the stints as being one of the longest tenured eighties, but he said it was overhealth concerns. He's consulting with his cardiac team.
Speaker 5: So there they've been my son I noticed my son went to school there, But they've been horrible athletically forever. Now they're halfway decent. They're getting to be getting they're competing right for whatever that means. I mean, maybe everyone says I'm going to do it for my family.
Speaker 3: I've heard a couple of people predict that they think that Rutgers can get into the big Big Ten championship game that you know, mess gonna be down a little bit. They lost a lot of guys, lost their coach, all that stuff, uh. In Ohio State's kind of hiding shoulders above everybody. They're just saying after that, it's anybody's thinking, don't be shocked if Rutgers finds itself in the in the Big Big Ten Championship championship. You still you still do you have some stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: This might have been talked about yesterday, but Ohio State official name their starting quarterback as Will Howard, he transfer from Kansas State.
Speaker 3: Yeah we need that. I mean we knew that that's where they were headed. I mean, that's everybody's talking about. And then the question is, okay, you know, as a plug in quarterback, can't he carry Ohio State where everybody thinks they oh to go because they feel like you've got all the other pieces?
Speaker 4: Last thing I have. Arizona Soccer started their season last night and they secured their first win, beating GCU.
Speaker 3: I think it was an exhibition though, wasn't it. I believe it was. Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was. But they lost their exhibition last year, so that's certainly better than than than than then then you know where they've been. What did I saw? Something? Said Steve, and I'll come in with one real quick.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: So you know our buddy Eddie nuon Is and that name is something familiar, right, we had him on the show. He is that New Mexico. Right, he was the college basketball oversight commandity.
Speaker 5: Right, he's a finalist for the only two people left Houston University of Houston.
Speaker 3: And in the story.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if you know this because I kind of didn't know this because we asked him about being interested in Arizona.
Speaker 6: He was.
Speaker 3: He danced around it and said, you know, no whatever that he was, he was a finalist here, a finalist Arizona.
Speaker 5: I don't know how true that is, but there was there was reports out of out of there that he was a finalist out here for whatever reason. I don't I'm I didn't hear that, but but that's what it's saying. So he might be gone to Houston.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That so you you find your thing? No, I have one more.
Speaker 5: So I get this thing from Shapiro and then we talked about it every now and now again. This is the Big twelve preview analysis of best plays from Action Network Arizona Best bets for Futures. Arizona State is the worst team they go worst team under four.
Speaker 3: And a half.
Speaker 5: They're saying under four and a half Arizona, and they go worst of best Utah to make the College Book playoffs plus two sixty Iowa State to make the Big Twelve Championship plus four seventy five. They go to Arizona, which is the fifth place team over five and a half Big Twelve wins. That's that's a play. I think that's gonna happen. That's that's that's the play. They say, well, look, we say we say eight nine, we say jay, we say eight or nine, right, gwinns total, So they're gonna win the tourst two and we've said okay, they go to and two and they finish what.
Speaker 3: Is it you said five and a half five and a half? I think you go if they win their two non conference games and you think they're gonna win eight games, then you should take that. Take that right, right dang. And then here's another one. I wish you would have told me that.
Speaker 5: No, you're you're already getting juiced up for this, okay. And then here's another one. The pick Arizona Conference wins total five and a half. And then he kind of said minus won twenty five.
Speaker 3: That's a minus one twenty five.
Speaker 5: Okay mm hmm, yeah, all right, and then Arizona state that pick is under four and a half minus fifth one.
Speaker 3: They're gonna that's the play under four and a half, over four and a half for over five and a half for Arizona under five and a half or four under four and a half total game total wins. Yes, you for a big twelve a you under four and a half, big twelve wins. I'm on that all day, all day. Yeah, yeah, okay, all right, no, yeah, I mean Steve, you know what, Yah, I'm sorry for contributing. My wife is going to be is really gonna be really mad at you. What I'm gonna say, I'm going to say that I bet on it. She goes, She goes, what are you doing? I said, Well, Steve told me you give me a call.
Speaker 5: The listeners who are listening, they're my witnesses. He doesn't need to be prompted by me to open up draft kings. See what the numbers are. Okay, cool, We're done here. Let's go and then we'll come back and talk to mister mister Fisher dig Fisher.
Speaker 3: All right, Cige, the.
Speaker 8: Window Depot is more than a windows store. The Window Depot is a one soft warehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model. Shop the aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights and hardware. To complete your project. Need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel today. Shop the Window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 5: Steve Vera here to talk about Dorontle Rock in Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five to two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 4: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lymedge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 10: Did you know sports cards the memorabilia are setting records sales. Last month of nineteen fifty two, Tops Mickey Mantles sold for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie so for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's show Time Cards.
Speaker 7: At Nova Home Loans. We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO nine Z two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to Commitment to Lindrix syn Credit rates and available loan programs are subject to change.
Speaker 11: With Unumbice, It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards idea center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 1: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests. Can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Breaking down all the exes at OHS. It's Steve Lavera and jakins Os. This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve. He's Jake. Now we have Jake Fisher from the u A formerly linebacker, all that stuff. How are you, Jake? Happy Pride, Happy Friday.
Speaker 5: Hey, we were talking about some things yesterday and then today it came up Jared Tavis's name. It came up some Scooby rights. Of course, some of the the great players that were not hot he thought of, but over time showed that they could do in time. And I'm saying this, you come to Arizona. They came to Arizona, and Scooby was a little bit different, and you you had to bide your time and then showed what you could do. Not many kids in basketball specifically don't want to wait to buy their time.
Speaker 6: No, and especially these days with the transfer portal, a lot of folks are wanting to you know, if they're not starting that second year or in basketball that first year, they always try to find a higher suitor and they wanted to go somewhere where they can go ahead and play. But you know, guys like Scooby, he came in and he went to the school of hard knocks. I've never seen a coaching staff ride a guy that hard, especially because they knew how great that he could be because of his natural ability just to always be around the ball. He was strong when he came in. It's very surprising when you see a kid at that statue who only had literally like one offer other than Arizona, and I don't think it was a power five school, and then Tavis when he came in, he was a little smaller, and then he had, you know, a little grosspur He obviously, you know, was always in the weight room working you know, tail offs, so you know that one was not as surprised. He's just seeing how hard he worked being around him for a year or two before. But yeah, those guys they came in they you know Scooby obviously he had to by his time in camp he started with the threes, and then by the end and probably by the end of four Watchuka, he was already going with the ones. So different stories, but the same result.
Speaker 3: And have you and have you also seen the opposite where you see a guy who's just got all the talent in the world, the physical capabilities, the size, all that stuff, and then that you just feel like if you only had a little bit of something else, you'd be a great player. I mean, how often did you think you saw that?
Speaker 6: Well in the old Pac twelve remember Oregon USC and you know, to some you know, to some degree Washington, they got the guaranteed players that they knew were going to be really good or at least have a chance to be really good. A lot of the other guys in the middle. You know that includes Arizona. We would go out and recruit a guy that looked like he had it to all the talent in the world. But you know, for whatever reason a couple of the bigger schools would back off. And whether it was not necessarily grades all the time, but you know, whether it's any attitude adjustment or something else in their background. And you know, you have these teams like Utah, they find a lot of those guys that aren't highly sought after, but they see some and then they have a good enough coaching staff to where they're going to go ahead and they're going to develop them the way they want. And you know, that's what a school like Arizona has to do when they're going against the scs and the Organs, or you know, if you're going and dipping into Texas, going against Texas, Oklahoma and these other big time schools. So if you have a good enough coaching staff, they have an eye for talent, They've been doing it for a while. I mean, the Whittingham way works. You just have to have the right guys right right.
Speaker 5: So we're also talking about this, So you have a kid and the Arizona has one. You go from the lower level or a perceived lower level school to an upper level school or at least a little higher one, and then you have a guy from a higher level school coming to here as well, who has a better chance of doing well.
Speaker 6: I guess it just depends on the kid in the situation, you know. I mean we get guys from SC over the last few years that come in and it's like, yeah, well we didn't play at SD. It's like it's sc They get four and five stars all up and down, you know the deal, and you know, maybe they had a anging coaches and they wanted, you know, a different guy for a different philosophy, or it just didn't work out, you know, and you can be successful that way. Obviously, have a guy like a Jacob Cowing come from what UTEP, you know he wanted to be Yeah, he wanted to be closer to home. That one worked out for us. So it depends on the kid, and it's really up to the coaches and their connections to kind of, you know, decide whether or not it's going to be a good idea. But you know, you can't just go out there blind. I think some of these coaches have such good connections that if a coach has a kid that wants to leave and you've got a connection with him and you ask him, hey, do you think this guy's going to pan out? I mean, he's going to tell you the truth. He's not going to you know, be fu So uh, you know guys like that. I think it's just more connections. It's you know, knowing that you have an eye for talent, knowing that maybe they had a couple of different defensive coordinators or you know, maybe they just didn't get their shot if they're at a bigger school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you know, I mean, you know there's some great exempts. You brought up Jacob Cowing, who is a you know, great example of you know, somebody moving up up in the neighborhood. Then you had Bill Norton who was at Georgia and couldn't get on the field and so he said I'm coming over here and he was really good, and so you know, I motivate. Now he's at Texas. So he did well enough to get himself another gig. But you do, you wonder, and then there's other times, Look, there's a guy that sticks in my mind Lewis Holmes, right, the guy who was a physical specimen. We thought, Arizona never gets a guy like him. And he was okay, but he wasn't great. And you see that and you go, what's happening there? And you wonder about that. I don't know if I know Lewis. I don't know anything about him other than maybe we got caught up in his body or something. I don't know. I mean, what happens there? Do you think with coaches?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: You know what, Sometimes the coaches they see, you know, they see a guy with some sort of crazy physical stature or crazy you know, physical abilities, and they say, you know what, if only I can do this, you know, I can have myself, you know, an NFL player and all of the American player. I mean a few years ago. I can't remember who it was. I never got a chance to play with him. But you know, the last staff they got this big old guy and you know, I'm not going to tell you who exactly it was, but you know, coach behind the scenes said, hey, listen, at least he's gonna look good getting off the bus for us.
Speaker 5: No, No, I know I know exactly who you're talking about. He came from col and he was a monster, but he couldn't he was on the offensive line, I think he was, and.
Speaker 6: He was a good player, but like when you see him, you're like, oh, that dude's like first second round draft. They like written all over him.
Speaker 5: See convinced Jay that that doesn't make the All Airport Team. Okle, these guys look good and then you get in the court and they're not any good, you know pretty much.
Speaker 6: It's not like it's not like Stanford when like back when Harbaugh was there, you're walking down into Stanford's you know, into their home field, and you're walking by kind of they have like they had this random weight room right by where you walk out on the field and you look in and you're like, oh my god, these guys are giant. And sometimes you're like, Okay, these guys really can't play though, No, they can all play and they can all smack you. So it's like it just really depends on you know, you obviously got to gauge whether or not the person has the uh you know, the heart, you know, the learning capabilities, uh, you know, the focus all that other stuff. But yeah, there are guys that look good getting off the bus. But they play like James.
Speaker 3: It was ever a guy that you got on the field and you said, Okay, I don't want to go near that guy. You know, you just go I hope that guy doesn't come at me, or something like that. Were there ever any guys like that?
Speaker 6: There was a Do you remember Tyron Smith from SC?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: He was He got drafted in the first round. He played about ten years uh as the starting left tackle for the Dallas Cowboys. He's like six or seven first time All Pro offensive line from.
Speaker 3: MESSI okay, I don't recall him because I all the all those SC guys they look the same to me. Yeah, do you remember?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're all big.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But this kid in one play literally comes out he cuts me like does a role, goes out and blasts another linebacker all in the same play, and it's like, what are you doing here?
Speaker 12: I mean?
Speaker 6: He should have been in the damn NFL after his freshman.
Speaker 3: Year, right?
Speaker 5: Do you remember during the rich rug time, I think you're on the team Steve something him and him and rich Rock got into a shouting match. Rich had to kick him out and then he brought him back because he was such a good player. But he was always tucking crap.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 6: There were a few coaching staff I mean, they'll get in your grill, and it's not because they want to. It's just that's the way that they coach, you know, Like I know coaches that will just love you up. I know coaches that will dog cuts you. I know coaches that duke a little bit of both. So I've seen it, you know, I've I gotten a shouting match with rich Rowy a couple of times. So that doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 3: Right, you know a guy like that that that sticks out to me. And I remember we uh you know, going way back, but went on the field, you know how we would go on as reporters and watch them basically the last quarter was Junior seou and when us he played here, and the things that he was doing to Arizona's off, to their linemen and to their backs and everything. And I'm like that, as you said, that guy just didn't belong there anymore. And uh, he's a guy that if you ask me, you know who who who somebody you saw in person that you go, holy hell, what was that? It was him? Because he was just such a beast and just so far ahead of everybody else, both in his meanness, his size and speed, all of that stuff. We remember he he taped his his shoes, his ankles, you know, on the outside with duct tape. He walked by soid it was it was duct tape on his on his shoes and his ankles. I'm like, that's that's just not right. It's just just something wrong with that guy. Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, some folks they got it all figured out. And that's kind of, you know, one of those instances where you're like that dud's been touched by God. I'm sorry. That's just there's no other way or around it. They're a physical freak. They're you know, they have a mean streak. They know how to put everything together. They're smart, they're instinctual, and you know, there's just a bunch of crap that you can't teach. So you get a couple of those guys. You're doing okay, Yeah, going to.
Speaker 3: The media stuff, go ahead, Okay, So, Jake, there's been some there's been some stuff going on over at the Arizona camp. The media has not been kicked out of practice, but they've been told they can't report on anything going on in practice. Some stuff did the media. Were you bothered by anything the media did or were you bothered by them being around, uh, you know practice and stuff like that. You could say I was I was bothering Yeah yeah, if yeah, Steve bothered you. We want to know there's I'm.
Speaker 6: Not going to name names. There was one guy that would always bother me and I would literally I told our SI D I don't want to talk to him, and I'd go out of my way to even you know, to talk to them. But everybody else I really like. And it was just because this guy would ask the dumbest questions at the most inopportune time to try to get a round, you know, a rise out of people. And one time I told him that, you know, stfu and I just kept walking like I'm not like that, but if you keep doing the dumb stuff, I understand it. And then what you know, like I heard about who it is and what they asked and all this other stuff. It's like that an instance where it's like you're doing so well as a defense and then you have that one that just won't run to the ball and then everybody has to run because of it. Like, don't be that guy. You have a set of rules abide by it.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 6: Other than that, I have no problem with any of the press beating there.
Speaker 5: Yeah no, I God, Now I have to go back to my memory bank and try to figure out who was the guy.
Speaker 3: I do recall this one time that I Arizona had gotten beat at. This was the Chuck Cecil years, right, it was it was Dick's first year. They lost to u c l A was a close game. Arizona wasn't very good, but they went four four and three that year. But Troy Aikman and all that, they're at the Rose Bull. They get beat late in the game. Bobby Waters, who had come here the quarterback for sm from SMU, broke his thumb in the game and he was he was going to be out for the season. Ronald Bial ends up coming into the game and and he and he was gonna be out for the year. And so I and he was Chuck Cecil's roommate. Okay, So I walked into the locker room and Chuck had this grimace on his face like and I was almost scared to go talk to him, but I had to write. He was the captain, And so I walked up to him and just try to make like an off hand remark, I said, you look pissed. I thought he was gonna kick my ass. I thought he was gonna beat me up because he was so mad at what had happened to to, you know, to Bobby Waters. And he looked at me like I almost I just walked away. I didn't ask him another question. I said, I don't want to talk to him because I'm not going to get anything out of him. And and he you know, but he just said something like a quarterback just is out for the season or something like that, really bad. And I'm like, okay, I'm just gonna you know, they're my work here is done. And I I was not bad about that.
Speaker 6: It's like, don't poke the bear at exactly.
Speaker 3: You're trying to just yeah, just trying to be you know, yeah, start a conversation. Let the smart funny one.
Speaker 6: That's why a lot of reporters have though, like I used to be like a not a fall back guy. But it's like, you know that I would always.
Speaker 13: Like you were I think you were that even though you know, I would always tell you what I'm thinking. And you know, you got to have a couple of those guys and you know, Jay at that time, if you had a fall back guy, that's the guy you go get.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, he was even despite his long curly or long flowing looks, you know.
Speaker 3: But then again was all for half a year about. Cecil was also the guy that I don't I think it was that same season eighty seven eighty seven, uh Arizona misses a field goal against Washington and and the game ends in the tie, and so so they opened the locker room right and all the reporters walking where everybody head straight for the kicker, and Cecil grabbed a chair and threw it across the room because he was pissed, and everybody went after the guy who was obviously, you know, very upset. It was Gary Costin who had who had missed the field goal. So Cecil was an intense well that UCLA game. Also he broke his He he got a big cut in his hand because he put his hand through a window at his apartment when he got home. He was so pissed. So I remember seeing him at practice on the following Monday, and his hand was all bandaged up, and I knew what had happened, and I just wanted to hear him say it, and he looked again. I got one of those just get the hell away from me kind of looks for me. It was pretty funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, Jake, Jake, we have about two minutes. What did you create with this nil stuff?
Speaker 3: What did you create?
Speaker 6: I created away And it wasn't even me. I'm not even like one of the main playing tips, you know, I got, you know, I sat through deposition and all that stuff and whatever. That's that was the extent of what I did. I just everybody in the locker room felt that players should get paid, you know, Like I said, imagine, you know, a Cadeen carry being from Tucstan. You know what, he would have been able to take advantage of, right, Guys like that that they put butts in seats, they drive ticket sales, they're very you know, I mean, you put him in a commercial. He's the guy that would absolutely do well in a commercial. He would have been able to make a ton of extra money, you know. I mean that's great. Like I said, we're still you know, in the beginning stages. It's kind of like the Wilelall West. Right now. I have a feeling that over the next five years or so, maybe even quicker than that. Things are going to kind of take, you know shape, you know, if there's probably gonna end up being you know, contracts, and I think the transfer portal, you know, might you might have to sign a contract because technically you're going to end up being a professional, and even the professionals in the NFL signed contracts, you know, so you're gonna have stuff like that probably start coming into the fray. I'm not you know, I'm not in those conversations, but that's just kind of how I see it going. But the kids, you know, they deserve to get paid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well, Jake, I want to say something about your company real quick.
Speaker 6: Yeah, guys, we're coming up on open enrollment Arizona Health Insider. You guys need to give us a call so that we can go ahead and save you some money on your premiums, whether you're an individual, family, small business, individuals. On the average, we save about forty percent families. We want to make sure you're not making another mortgage payment. Want to go ahead and make sure that you guys are taking care of them for small businesses, attract get employees, keep better ones, and you know, make sure that your guys are happy. So www dot Arizona health Insider dot com five to two oh eighty five oh six, eight sixty six. You can text, call, you can go on the website request a meeting time, but go ahead and give us a call.
Speaker 3: Guys. Let me let me give you a little testimonial here, Jakeie, find an insurance policy for my daughter. She was in Boston on her own anyways, under your policy, Jake, and she she got her appendix taken out a few weeks ago, and the insurance, the insurance policy you got for her was couldn't vast for more. So a little testimonial there for you on the thing you took.
Speaker 6: There, the nationwide PPO, so you can take it anywhere. So even if like you're like my wife and I we travel, we want to have something that when we're out of state, if something were to come up, we're able to get taken care of. And it's the largest network in the entire country, so there are not a lot of doctors at all that are going to be like, nah, I'm not in the network.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, So anyway, so there you go. It worked for her. So thank you for doing that. Thanks Jake, perfect, Thanks man take care of Jake, have a good weekend. I wish she was opinionated. I wish let's take a break. Coming, he's a smart dude. All right, let's take a break. We'll be back.
Speaker 5: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is formal while get Leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 3: Space and your life.
Speaker 14: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment.
Speaker 3: I'll certify.
Speaker 14: Fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. Pema Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big what your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more.
Speaker 1: Visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today. That really insured and CUA.
Speaker 3: Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 10: A Team Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts.
Speaker 3: For over twenty years.
Speaker 10: We want you to join the Action eighteen, a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry with flexible schedules that are perfect for.
Speaker 3: Those looking for a part time job or a second income.
Speaker 10: Come be a part of a winning team the A Team Apply online today at a Team security dot net.
Speaker 2: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Robera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome about two light of our hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Dsjay one with us. We got fifteen minutes. Say if you want to keep up the calls, we enjoyed them, yep, by two oh four one sixty seven. Fun today. Yeah, they didn't think Jim especially. He sent me a text and he was sorry and I don't think I believe he is. I don't believe he is at all. Sure, dig in no, I mean the doctors haven't even played yet, and he calls and gives me some crap about something. So anyways, all right, Hey, so this thing came out a couple of days ago. ESPN ranked the one hundred college football players for twenty twenty four, and the list a lot of people we've you know, you here in Tucson, I've never heard of because they're you know, linemen and stuff like that from from various places. But Arizona landed four players on the list, the highest being Team Act, who is listed at number thirteen and he's he's the second receiver on the list. Luther Burden, the third from from Missouri at number five, is the top receiver A listed on there. But Team Act coming in second is basically there's Radium as the second best receiver in the country, which is pretty cool. How does he look?
Speaker 4: Oh, he'll be ready. He'll be ready for the season opener.
Speaker 3: They tempered him. They's gone.
Speaker 4: He's progressed week by week.
Speaker 3: He You're not supposed to be talking about this.
Speaker 4: No, I could talk about the past one. Yeah, that's why I stopped.
Speaker 3: The reason you didn't go today, So that wouldn't I'm just being a butt face. I can't help myself.
Speaker 4: He looks good.
Speaker 3: What do you What do you want to say? You can't say.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know if I can say.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, you can see.
Speaker 4: I can't remember when when it first happened.
Speaker 3: Ye, the spring. Wasn't the spring? Wait before that, when you heard yeah at the beginning of the spring, wasn't it? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, So he looks good. He looks yeah, okay, here we got a call saved by the bill.
Speaker 3: Exactly how you're on there and I on the ball.
Speaker 6: Thank god?
Speaker 3: Something what's the words? Hey?
Speaker 15: I wanted to circle back to the three o'clock deal with guys that didn't make it, and the one that always sticks in my mind is that Obama. Oh, for some reason, that guy was College Player of the Year, m VP of the Final four and he didn't have anything but a cup of coffee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, well that's another. Then he caused all this trouble with.
Speaker 15: The NILO, right exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's been a lot. Well, you don't know, the guy is a big baby, a big baby baby Jordan. He didn't have that long Yeah.
Speaker 6: That Harrol Minor, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 15: Yeah, And and it just shows you how, like you say, Steve, I heard you say it, how good you have to be? I mean, Kalid and Salim, I mean if it makes you wonder one of those scrut well Selem was with a hawk. How do you not want a guy that can shoot like that? Maybe he had a bad attitude, but man, right, well that's part of the wonder why they don't keep him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's part of it. You have to have the whole thing.
Speaker 5: You know, Why would you want a bad apple unless you're six ' ten and unbelievable.
Speaker 15: Yeah, but you know that whole ninety five team j have you ever thought about this? And none of them made it, the whole ninety five u s LA championship teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bailey, Yeah, yeah, Toby Bailey is another name the Yeah, wasn't Darren Collison on that?
Speaker 15: And none of them made it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, and that was a crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy good team. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But you know, yeah, Vicky, you know this, and there's no there's no knock on that because they're college there's college kids and you're here to play college ball and become a team. Look at ninety seven Arizona ninety seven.
Speaker 3: Well, and again to Jim Herrick, who was the coach of that team, was one of those coaches that he was a college coach, right, He wasn't. He wasn't trying to build and you know an NBA uh program, you know, like like Cali Perry was, you know, going and getting guys that, Okay, this is an NBA guy, so he's gonna be on my team. He was trying to have the best college team he could have, and those are the kinds of guys he had on his team. Well, let's also remember, can you know this better than us? Because being from l A.
Speaker 5: Outside of Reggie Reggie Miller and that was before all this, who really did it? Don mcclan didn't have that great of a Yeah, well Russell Russell Westbrook Russell, and he was He's and love and love.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So those two dudes, you guys, but those guys came in under under the other guy.
Speaker 15: Uh yeah, right right, ma, it is weird that I'm gonna tell you, guys, the two greatest athletes in my life in high school and I'll tell you, I said to the guy sitting next to me, they're going to make their mama a lot of money. Where Jason Thomas Ad Dominga's and uh Khalil Kate. I saw them both in high school and I'm like they were just men among both different Yeah, and neither of them sniffed the NFL.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, how can that?
Speaker 15: It's just amazing. But yet Steve Kerr and Judd Butschler played fifteen years in the NBA.
Speaker 5: TJ McConnell man, sometimes yeah, sometimes you just gotta keep your head down.
Speaker 3: And grind, do the right things. Yeah, exactly amazing.
Speaker 15: But uh well, I want to wish you guys a great weekend, and uh let's see football is coming around the corner, man.
Speaker 3: Right, and go and go Dodgers. We'll see you. Thanks Vig.
Speaker 15: They at five o'clock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I know, all right, man, thanks, thank you? All right? Interesting, you know, and she caught me here. But there's a there's I mean, the the NC double, A good NC double. A teams are littered with those guys who you go, okay, that guys can't miss, and then they miss, right, and you wonder why so crazy? All right, getting back to the top one hundred list. We got Arizona's got no fa Fida at fifty one, so it goes from thirteen to fifty one or whatever. Yeah, yeah, thirteen to fifty one, so you got no Fafeeda at fifty one. For the record, Shador Sanders, who I still don't think is a better quarterback than than Fefida, is at twenty four. Of the top quarterback on the list is Carson Beck from Georgia. I think they let me go back. I think they had him at seven. Yeah, Georgia quarterback at seven. There's a few quarterbacks in front of, in front of, in front of Fifeeda, but he's at fifty one. Let's say this call. All right, you're on the arm and eye on the ball.
Speaker 15: Hey, guys Georgia.
Speaker 12: He just I'm pigging backing on that guy's other call man, Jordan Hill. Do you ever think that guy was gonna make it in the NBA as.
Speaker 3: Long as he did?
Speaker 5: That's that's a crazy one. Yeah, that's a good point. Him and and and and and and Butdinger and not so much.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: I think Budinger was maybe six years Jordan probably had a little longer if I'm correct.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, but butting here was a five star.
Speaker 12: I mean, he was the guy who you go after you think he's supposed to do it.
Speaker 3: No, no, that's my point here. For four years, that's my point. He didn't.
Speaker 5: He didn't last that long. He didn't last that long. Yeah, Chase, you know, he was a couple of years here, comings there and then went to Poenix and that was over.
Speaker 3: Sorry, no, that's fine.
Speaker 5: And Lut said Lut at the time said Chase was the best recruit he'd ever recruited, he ever recruited.
Speaker 6: Right right, right, that's crazy, man, that's just thinking about.
Speaker 3: A couple of guys. Yeah.
Speaker 6: When that when that guy.
Speaker 12: When Jordan Hill's dad called in, I remember him calling. He's like, he used to beat whoever, Like, uh, I don't know, he used to play against somebody, let's say, like some other NBA player, and he's like, my son beats him every time he played. And you're like, nah, he's not that good, you know, And then he had a ten year career or whatever.
Speaker 3: He I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, it's hard to find six foot ten eleven guys who played like him. And he was, you know, marginal he was good, Yes, serviceable in the NBA.
Speaker 3: You know you play that long in the NBA, you're good. Yeah, all right, George, thanks all much, man, appreciate it. Have a good weekend. I'm good, all right. Going back to the countown there, so she or Santa's twenty four, uh fafit at fifty one, Cam Rising who everybody's you know, putting their chips on him. He's at fifty three, so uh interally to what happens there. But then you got to Jonas Savanea at eighty five, and then Tacario Davis at ninety four. So there'sn't put four guys in the top one hundred, which is I think you said you thought that that was more than anybody.
Speaker 4: I think they're up there with as far as how many teams got that making players, I.
Speaker 3: Saw Michigan had like two in the top five or something like that, even though they they lost a lot of numbers. The number one guy is a defensive end from Tennessee, A junior. His name is James Pierce. Junior had nine and a half sacks last year, and so he wasn't even in the top one hundred last year. Then you go to Mason Graham, a defensive tackle from Michigan, Travis Hunter the Colorado wide receiver, cornerback, Will Johnson, and Michigan cornerback. And then the number five is Luther Burdon wide receiver out of Tennessee, who's the top wide receiver. And then team mat comes after him Missouri, right from Missouri.
Speaker 5: So six guys and you never four guys, four guys you never would have well, four guys. You never would have thought this three years ago.
Speaker 3: I mean, and you figured, okay, so he got four guys at the top one herd. That means that's four guys that you would expect would get drafted. Uh, you know, uh whenever, whenever their time comes, you know, but you got team as a junior. Fafite is a junior to Kio Davis says, he is.
Speaker 4: I think technically is a sophomore.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, you're right, he's a sophomore. He's aphomore. So if we got five minutes and you might have to pull a one here and not answer, is he a pro? I don't know. I don't think we know, but I think it can be. Look if Kyler Murray is a pro, got a shot at being a pro, right, because I'm talking about side, just strictly the side. But two different styles, but two different styles.
Speaker 2: But who do you like?
Speaker 3: Who you like better? Is a thrower?
Speaker 5: No, No, let me tell you something I've been. I've been a critical of Murray for forever. Yeah, who would I want? I would want forfa And I just saw him for a couple of coffee your year because he is a he is exactly what you need a court. Right, He's a winner, and not that Ror isn't. But but just to run your offense right, you don't have to scrabble a thousand yards are getting too right?
Speaker 3: Just right, you're look and he's proven that his size Okay, being as short as he is, you can do it. You can do it because he did it last year, right, and so you like to think, I mean what what struck me about him all last year was how accurate of a thrower he is? Yeah? Right? His throws are on the money, if they if a pass gets broken up, if passes doesn't get caught, it's usually because it's been broken up. Now is he you know it was? He very good on the long on the long ball, No, he missed a lot of not a lot, but he missed several throws where guys are you know, open deep, which you think that's the thing that you can fix and get better at. Right, And I expect that he'll he'll get better at this year. He's got the arm that he needs. Uh and and he moves a wild enough. So you know, I like him.
Speaker 6: I I.
Speaker 3: I think he I think he could be. The question is Steve and so many people just discount him, you know, so many scouts will say we're not taking him because he's not tall.
Speaker 5: And of course, of course there's there's that size. You know that just automatically you're automatically eliminated. So would you say what struck you about him? Was the accuracy? Accuracy struck me about him? How hard the other guy's played for you keep saying that because it's true.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 5: I mean we talked about that. We've talked about that. You see, it's very visible. How is it on the sidelines? Well him mean long enough, Well he says all the right things. I had a press commis earlier this week. Says all the right things, does all the right things. How he's got a little Steve current where there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's something that there's something that he's got here and something that he's developed at Arizona, that there's this connection between him and he loves being here, right, he loves being here. Now watch it. I said that he'll he'll hear the transferportal after this. He's gonna go be the quarterback at Texas or something. But you know, uh, you know he could mean he could have gone anywhere you wanted to go.
Speaker 5: Well, in Tafeta, they trust, right, he's the quarterback. He's the perfect spot of the position for them to latch on and follow him. Yeah, and and they've done.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, you know, and so uh yeah, I does he have the the chops, you know, the the the explained shops, the mental the the what do they call the intangibles right to be an NFL quarterback? Right, just uh, take take away, take away the physical piece of it, just all the other things that you need to be an NFL quarterbacks. You know, the composure, the you know, the smarts, you know, he understands what he's doing, the you know, the ability to read a defense. All those things. He's got all of that. All of that's NFL quality in him. The question is going to be will his eyes keep him from being an NFL quarter. Well, and that's said, what did Jake said? The seller with the sale? Was it sale?
Speaker 5: He touched with the god? Touching with the football sticker? I can't remember. That's the one thing that that God may not have done with.
Speaker 3: Right. He didn't make him sixty three right, right, you know, or make him sixty one right. You know, he is what he is because I mean, look, yeah, I mean you know, and he's not blessed with you know, he's not He's not Lamar Jackson, he's not even Kyler Murray when it comes to you know, the speed. But what he does have is a pocket presence where he knows that somebody is coming. I mean that, uh yeah, when that it sticks in my mind the two point conversion against Oklahoma where he ducked a guy who you know, guy just came over the top of him and then he ducked the guy, got out and hit the two point conversion the past. Yeah, not everybody's got that, you know, uh, you know, they don't see somebody or feel somebody coming. You don't teach that. Well, you can teach what you don't. That's hard to teach. That's an instinct that that guys, guys, and he has all that. Okay, hey, good show today. All right, it was fun. Good week. Yeah, good week. Taking into high school football next week, so maybe have some more to that. And we're getting we're one day closer to college football steak. Yeah, okay, all right, thanks for being everybody. We'll see you next week.