Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App k f I and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange.
Speaker 3: County and.
Speaker 4: Amy.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is your wake up call for Tuesday, September twenty fourth.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up. Good morning. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Appropriate to play that open this morning with our friend Todd. Light out at Dodgers Stadium because the Dodgers and the Padres go in toe to toe starting tonight. Producer ends given me stink eye because she's she's a Padres fan and the Dodgers need to win two two two games to clinch the division. Go Dodgers. Although I have to say I was just reading up on this. The Padres have been kind of kicking the Dodgers butts this year. They're like they've won. The Dodgers are three and seven against the Padres this season. So go Blue. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Governor Newsom has signed a bill that requires school districts to restrict or band students from using cell phones at school. The governor says the state has the power to intervene against student and anxiety, depression, and mental health issues caused by cell phone use. President Biden has said to address the United Nations General Assembly today. Vice President Harris will not be attending the UN gathering, but it'll be meeting with world leaders this week, including Ukrainian President Volodomir Zelenski. We're going to check in with ABC's Karen Travers to find out more about what Biden's expected to focus on, and also what the Vice President is doing and not doing this week. Cargo volume at the Port of Long Beach is up twenty percent. Greenhouse gases have decreased by seventeen percent. The port's annual emissions inventory inventory shows diesel particulates were down by ninety two percent twenty twenty three. Other polluting chemicals also drastically reduced. The CEO of the Port of Long Beach said the ultimate goal is to be an emissions free port. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A new law in California mandates schools ban the use of cell phones by students on campus. Alex Stone says the law will kick in July twenty twenty six.
Speaker 6: Study show test scores rise dramatically when mobile devices are limited on campuses, but some parents oppose the move, saying they want to have contact with their children.
Speaker 1: School districts, charter schools, and county offices of education have less than two years now to come up with poulis that limit or ban the use of cell phones by students at school. A community activist in South la is encouraging the community to help bust up seven eleven robberies.
Speaker 7: A seven eleven store in Pico Union attacked last Friday by dozens of young people on bikes, was the latest in a string of similar events. LA Public Policy Roundtable President Earl o'fari Hutchinson says neighbors need to be more active and involved.
Speaker 8: Oftenschim's people do not report what they see, they're watching, they observe, and it just falls under the raid ow school.
Speaker 4: That's not going to cut it.
Speaker 7: Hutchinson says he worries some seven eleven stores could close over thievery and vandalism, leaving some disadvantaged neighborhoods without access to groceries close by.
Speaker 4: Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News Lebanon's Health Ministries has more than five hundred and fifty people have been killed in two days of Israeli airstrikes targeting the militant group Hezbolah. Israel's military has been warning people in southern and eastern Lebanon to leave areas where Hesbola is operating, but ABC's Ian panel says Hesbolah has a lot of firepower and support, meaning it can do damage to Israel.
Speaker 9: According to the organization, they're capable of hitting almost anywhere in Israel and we haven't seen even the least of their firepower yet. Israel's invasions and wars in the past ultimately didn't make the country safe or damish has Belah.
Speaker 1: Hezbelah has vowed to continue its rocket, missile and drone strikes on Israel in solidarity with the Palestinians and Hamas in Gaza. Boeing says it has made its best and final offer to its thirty thousand striking workers. The workers who build Boeing's commercial planes want a forty percent pay increase and they want pensions reinstated. Boeing says it's offering a thirty percent pay increases over four years. It will reinstate bonuses and more money for four oh one case, but no pension. Boeing's seven thirty seven, seven sixty seven and Triple seven factories have gone dark with the workers on strike. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's care Baron Travers Karen. For someone running for president, Vice President Harris is being pretty quiet, not really putting herself in the spotlight this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was interesting like for the start of the week to not see as much of her, and you guys will see her later this week. She's heading out west. But you know, just the comparison, so we had the former president Donald Trump was in Pennsylvania yesterday. He's in Georgia today, North Carolina Wednesday, Michigan Friday. Saturday, he will be in Wisconsin. The vice president schedule looks a little different. She's going to be in Pennsylvania tomorrow for a speech on the economy, and then heads out west for an event in Arizona Friday, some fundraising we expect in California on Saturday, and then another big event in Las Vegas on Sunday. So maybe more of like a backloading for this week. But you know, today Mark's officially six weeks out until election day, so we certainly feel like going to start seeing a major increase for all.
Speaker 1: Of their schedules.
Speaker 3: I would have thought at this point they'd be doing multiple events each day in the battleground states. This week, though, is interesting for her because of the foreign policy focus. It's the UN General Assembly in New York. You had the president of the UAE at the White House yesterday, she met with him separately. Thursday, President Zelensky Ukraine is coming to Washington. He will meet at the White House with President Biden and have a separate meeting with Vice President Harris. So that keeps her in DC in between the battleground travel. But you know, it is notable to see the difference. Trump's in five battle ground states this week, She's in three. The campaign says there's no broader strategy to a lighter schedule. They're saying, don't read too much into it. More isn't always more, and that they're very strategic about where she's going and what she's doing with her time.
Speaker 1: But I want to read a little more into it, because we do. It still has been when did she announce two months ago? She still hasn't sat down. I mean with Oprah Winfrey, that doesn't count. That's not a news interview. And she did like one kind of she's a supporter of HER's yeah, right, but she's not sitting down. She hasn't done any press conferences. We still don't know exactly where she stands on stuff, and I just it'll be interesting to see. I mean, are people just going to say, well, we like her better than Biden, and we like her better than Trump, so we're going to vote for her even though we have no idea like what she would do as president.
Speaker 3: You know, I think the campaign would push back on that. And this is not me saying this is like what the campaign would say is that you know, she is out there, she's doing speeches, she laid out policy proposals in the debate. Things are on her website of what she would do if she were elected. I do think on the interview issue, she is not doing national interviews. She did the one with CNN, but she has not done a press conference with you know, the traveling press that's with her or the people in Washington. She's doing local interviews. She's doing radio interviews, she's doing local TV, she's doing a podcast.
Speaker 1: This week.
Speaker 3: And that's not a surprising strategy when you look at how this race is being won or lost. Right now, it's seven battleground states and they're trying to focus on those voters, and the campaign, you know, and talking with strategists inside and outside the campaign will say like, that's the target that they need to reach those voters in those states, a certain cohort of those voters, and they feel that the bang for the buck is by doing that type of media that doesn't always sit well with the national President's in Washington, DC, who you know is covering the campaign writ large and wants to do you know, big national interviews or a big press conference, but you know, they feel targeted media right now, given the condensed schedule that she's on from when she got into the race, is more effective for their strategy at this point.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then speaking of strategy, I know we only have you for a couple more seconds. But she's meeting separately with Zelenski and those kinds of things as opposed to meeting with the president. Do they say why she's because she's the sitting vice president. Do they say why she's meeting separately from Biden with these world leaders.
Speaker 3: They've done this before, even before she was a candidate, where she's held her own meetings. It gives her a chance to do her own forum policy, you know, conversations, and you know, I think for the President and like he likes to do one on one meetings, she's also in his meetings quite often too. I don't think there's anything really like to read into this. It also gives her a chance to have a photoop with a significant world leader.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Karen Travers, thank you so much. Appreciate your information as always, have a great day, all right, talk to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Students and Daniel Pearl Magnet High School in the Valley have walked to protest and La School district decision to displace two of its teachers.
Speaker 10: Students walked off the campus and marched to the district's north offices, asking the district to rehire their music and Spanish teachers who have lost their.
Speaker 1: Positions because of under enrollment.
Speaker 10: Senior Genesis Figueroa says music is fundamental to the students.
Speaker 8: That department is shutting down because we don't have the funds to hire a new teacher.
Speaker 10: Enrollment overall dropped by thirty two students since last year. Students started marching yesterday at three pm, asking the district to reconsider its decision.
Speaker 1: Chris Adler kf I News. Two people have interested in Riverside County for shoplifting at Target. It was caught on camera. Muri at A PD shared video of one of the alleged thieves filling up a shopping cart last week while the other waited in the parking lot. Police called the pair dumb and dummer in a social media post and said they didn't know officers were already on the way to the scene. Police say they found stolen stuff, plus meth and pipes in the car. Both of them were arrested.
Speaker 4: It's time Exon Mobile pays the price or it's the seed.
Speaker 1: California has sued Exon Mobile, claiming the company advertising recycling knowing that most plastics are not being recycled. Attorney General Rob Bonta says the idea was to make Americans like plastic and buy blue bins when it's not good for the environment. The company has propped up sham solutions manipulation the public. The lawsuit claims ninety two percent of plastic waste processed through exonmobiles so called advanced recycling technology, does not become recycled plastic. The pseudo ledges plastics produced through the program only make up less than one percent of exonmobiles total plastic production capacity. LA County has seen the number of mpox infections more than double over a four week period. The County Department of Public Health says there were fifty two cases in the past four weeks. There were twenty four in the four weeks before that. Seventy percent of the cases are in unvaccinated people. Health officials say people in high risk categories in the gay and transgender communities need to get vaccinated. Most gen z ers say they're underpaid and they're feeling the squeeze.
Speaker 11: I think gen Z is feeling it in a way that other generations that this age probably didn't.
Speaker 1: Resumed templates dot Com are actually not resume Resume Templates dot Com Chief career strategists Julie Toothacre says eighty seven percent of gen Zers feel like they're underpaid, especially with the rising cost of living. She says gen zers with a college degree should earn about fifty to sixty thousand dollars, but in large cities, anything under one hundred grand is likely to feel like it's not enough.
Speaker 4: I feel you.
Speaker 1: CalFire says it expects to have the fire burning in Orange and Riverside Counties that has destroyed more than one hundred and sixty homes and other buildings fully surrounded by today. Orange County Fire Authority Captain Steve concialtisays they've been taking advantage of cooler temperatures to get lines around the fire that has been burning for more than two weeks. Tropical Storm Helene is gaining strength in the western Caribbean and is expected to become a hurricane before it makes landfall. Forecasters say the storm could hit the Florida Panhandle as a Category three hurricane on Thursday. Governor Rond De Santis has already declared a state of emergency for forty one counties along the coast and inland as the storm approaches. The lights on Broadway are going to be dimmed to honor the life of two time Tony Award winner James Earl Jones. The lights will go dark on Thursday night Jones got his start on Broadway as an understudy in The Egghead in nineteen fifty seven. James Earl Jones died earlier this month at the age of ninety three, at six oh five. It it's handled on the news. Exxon is getting sued by the state of California. Let's say good morning to the host of How to Money right here on KFI. It's Joel Larsgard. Joel, I got to start this by saying that we've been talking about interest rates and how they're pretty crazy high. I just got a statement or a notification from my Macy's America American Express card the APR as a last month thirty four point four to nine percent. Oh gosh, thirty four point four nine percent. Yeah, that's like those payday loans that are that. Didn't they get busted for charging those just crazy high rates.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they're legal in so many states to charge over a certain interest rate percentage. And you're right, these credit card interest rates have gone gone through the roof, and I do think this rate cut will lead to I mean, I've already gotten to notice from my save mus account saying hey, listen, starting today on the twentieth right after the announcement you're what we're paying you goes down by half percent, and I think we're going to see credit card interest rates come down, But think about it, they're so high in the stratosphere. It's not like it's going to make a massive difference for people who have credit card debts. So it's despite this rate cut, and despite credit card interest rates going down a little bit, it still makes sense to pay off your cards as quickly as humanly possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially because I don't I don't pay attention that much. I should technically have decent rates because I have really good credit. But I got that note and I was like, you've got to be kidding me.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what I want.
Speaker 12: What I care about is actually, in some ways, I don't care about the interest rate on credit cards at all, because I want people to use them, and granted only half of Americans do, but I want people to use them as a method of payment that they pay off on time and in full at the end of the month. So essentially, if that's the case, the interest rate doesn't matter to you. It doesn't matter if it's five percent or if it's fifty percent, because you're not paying the banks any money, and so yeah, definitely taken into consideration. Make sure you're not on the bad side of that, paying those banks, paying the credit card companies interest every single month. But if that's the case, then whatever that number says on your statement, it shouldn't matter to you.
Speaker 1: Hopefully well, and I do pay off my Macy's every time I charge on my Macy's. So I just got to not forget to pay it off because otherwise you're just going to get slammed. And okay, so let's speak about That kind of leads us into our topic for today, which is some of the things that the presidential candidates are trying to roll out as campaign promises, and one of them is that Trump is saying that he wants to cap credit card interests straight to ten percent.
Speaker 12: It sounds nice, it does, but it's nice well, especially if you are one of those people who has a lot of credit card debt and you're sitting there and you're looking at the statement, You're like, this is twenty six percent. When am I and how am I ever going to pay this off? And I completely understand where you're like, how you're feeling, and how that impacts your finances. The problem is a lot many of the economic proposals being floated by both candidates are just not good for the economy. And maybe they're good for a particular person in a specific scenario, but overall they're just bad from an economic standpoint. So there's actually a poll that just came out about how ordinary people feel about the economic proposals from both candidates, and then what economists think about that. There's like, for instance, the proposal to eliminate taxes on tips for service workers, and that was floated by Trump initially, and then Kamala Harris said, yeah, that sounds good. That's gonna be on my a agenda too. Seventy nine percent of ordinary people say that's a good thing. Ten percent of economists say that's a good thing. Okay, there's yeah, okay. So, because there's all these ways in which you can tax income differently, and if you start to segment out little pieces, say okay, well, if it's tips, then we're not going to tax that. Think about all the ways companies are going to try and call certain wages tips for the benefit employers. It creates like false incentives for companies and for individuals to report certain income as tip based income. Think if you're like a sub stack writer, right, and you make money that way, and you can say, well, no, those are tips. People pay me ten bucks a month, and I'm going to consider that tips. That's not wages. So it just creates this interesting dichotomy that forces people to try and report wages in a certain way. And so I think what's intended to kind of help people maybe in the service industry ends up becoming this nightmare from IRS tax perspective. There's so many other proposals, Like, honestly, I've never seen a more bipartisan awfulness in the economic space. What we're experiencing this year, Like it truly is red and blue not knowing up from down when it comes to when it comes to economic policy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the other thing that I really want to talk about is the unrealized gains on capital.
Speaker 12: Unrealized capital gains tax.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say exactly. I've been saying it a lot. Now I can't get it out of my mouth because so I got to understand this, because I keep saying they can't possibly be trying to get this through, but apparently they are. Then this is part of Harris's plan is to tax unrealized capital gains. What does that mean and how would it happen?
Speaker 12: Well, like I said, there's so many bad economic proposals this time around, it's hard to pick a worst one. This might be the worst one. And I want to say start out by saying, too, people hear these the ad pausium knee jerk proposals on the campaign trail, and they kind of take it as, oh, great, if I vote for this person, this is what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: The truth is, many, many, many.
Speaker 12: Of these things will not come to pass, largely because the president in and of themselves don't have the authority to institute these things, and they probably don't have the backing of do nothing Congress to actually get anything these things done either. So I want to preface it by saying that maybe take these proposals with a grain of salt, but yes.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about what it is so people know, because I think people don't really understand, and she's not talking about it very much, like we kind of got wind of it and then it's not being talked about a lot. But it's a pretty substantial thing.
Speaker 12: Yes, Yes, So in some ways it's substantial. In other ways it's not so For the average person, this is essentially would be some sort of a wealth tax where if you have a net worth of one hundred million dollars from more, which I'm guessing any you're getting close to there, but most of most of the folks listening not quite in that category yet. And this is this wouldn't impact somebody's four oh one k let's say, at least in the essence that you would have to pay taxes on. Let's say the stock market experience is this huge run up and the government says, hey, listen, your net worth increased by four million dollars last year. Congratulations, Now you owe I know you're not cashing out any of those funds, but you still owe tax on the increase.
Speaker 1: Because on paper you have this much more money. That's right, So they're saying pay us now as opposed to when you cash it out.
Speaker 12: Think of it just just from an example that again this isn't the proposal, but for the average person, if your home value went up by a million dollars over the course of ten years, and they said, well, every year that goes up, but little by little you're going to owe tax on the increase. And again this isn't targeted towards normal everyday focus. This is targeted towards the uber rich. And so this isn't going to impact you directly, but it might impact you indirectly. And in that basically is because the ultra rich think about how it's going to change the way they handle their own taxes, the way they handle their own investments. This could have like downstream impacts and it's a really hard thing, by the way, for the government to actually impose, Right, so how do you and then does the government offer a refund in years where the stock market is down, in years where the real estate market is down. I mean, it's one of those really odd proposals that pretty much every economist says is dead in the water and would cause negative consequences and wouldn't Actually this, I think is what this is. Really. It's appealing to a populis sentiment that the billionaires don't pay enough in tax, which might have some sort of reality to it, but then it doesn't actually address it in a helpful way. It addresses it in a really punitive way that could could have downstream negative impacts for everyone.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what we take from this is one they're making a lot of promises too. They probably can't keep a lot of them, sure, but we should know what they are and educate ourselves on what they are, because again you said, a ten percent cap on credit cards sounds great, but maybe it's not. So read up on it, find out.
Speaker 12: And I really wish I could say, oh, one candidate has more economic sense than the other. But when you look at all these proposals again go back to that penalizing companies that engage in food gouging, that's another thing. Everybody says, yeah, that sounds like a good idea, except for the economists. They say that's a really bad idea. There's all of these proposals being made, many of which will not come the past don't stand a chance. They just sound good, and so the public says, oh, yeah, prices are too high, yet you're going to do something about that. I'm going to vote for you. And so it's a lot of pie in this guy promise. There really isn't going to lead to much change on the ground, and many of these things are just stand no chance at all of actually coming to fruition.
Speaker 1: All right, Joel Larsgard, host of How to Money. Right here on KFI. You can listen to more great money advice and tips Sundays from noon to two with Joel, or you can follow him or does it have to be an either or and you can follow him at how to Money. Joel. Thank you so much, Joel, have a great week.
Speaker 12: Thanks Amy, you too.
Speaker 1: All right, hey, the Dodgers are taken on the padres tonight at Dodgers Stadium. First pitch goes out at seven, and as we said, the Dodgers need to win two of those games to clinch their division for the third straight year. Listen to every play of every game on AM five to seventy LA Sports, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword is AM five to seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for All of La. Exon has fired back at California's lawsuit, claiming the oil giants said it was creating more single use plastics instead of recycling plastics that are safe for the environment. Exon responded by saying California has known for decades its recycling system was ineffective and is now looking for someone to blame. The US is sending more US troops to the Middle East. The Pentagon says the US is beefing up its presence a bit out of an abundance of caution as things continue to heat up between Israel and Hesbelah. Israeli airstrikes in Lebanon yes today killed almost five hundred people. Police are looking for a person who has stabbed three people in the Westlake neighborhood the LAPDSS. The stabbings happened just after midnight on South Reno Street. The stabber ran off, the people stabbed had been taken to the hospital. At five point fifty. We're going to be talking with ABC's Steven Portnoy. There's new information about the man who allegedly attempted to assassinate former President Trump at his golf course in West Palm Beach. So the big question of the day is is it too soon to decorate for Halloween? And the reason that I'm presenting this question is because it took like everything I had in me not to get out my Halloween decorations and decorate over the weekend. It's only mid September, and but it feels like Halloween is getting here, probably because you know, like Disneyland has its Halloween going and Universal Studios and Magic Mountain and Dark Harbor at the Queen Mary, like all this Halloween stuff is already happening. The Halloween stuff has already come and gone from the stores because now they're putting Christmas out. So and I'm a one holiday at a time person, like I like to do decorate for Labor Day, put out my flags and stuff, and then after that's done, you go onto the next one, and there's that big gap, and maybe that's why it is. But then after Halloween is Thanksgiving, and so you decorate for Thanksgiving, and then you put Christmas up after Thanksgiving, and then after Christmas then you can decorate for Valentine's Day, and then after Valentine's Day you can do Saint Patrick's Day, and then after Saint Patrick's Day you can do Easter. But it's one at a time. So I'm kind of curious are you starting your decorations, because according to a study, seventy nine percent of Americans are planning to decorate for Halloween this year. That was up from seventy one percent the year before. And I hear that you are already on board. Oh, one hundred percent what you got up already got it out. I've got it, not all of it. I'm not crazy, but I put a lot of money and effort into this stuff. We build things we I yeah, I mean home.
Speaker 13: If you go to Home Goods right now, they're almost all out of Halloween stuff. It goes so fast. And I really like to enjoy all my Halloween stuff. You know that, And you know what, it makes me happy. Well, and I just care what the calendar says.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well I put out my my Halloween coffee mugs. But that's where you go. That's that's all I've done, all right. And Nick Pouliochanni, we know is a huge.
Speaker 4: Halloween coffee mugs. Amy, I love it. I just dipped my chest to Halloween coffee mugs. Yeah, we love it. No, that's good.
Speaker 1: When is it okay to start decorating? Because I know this is this is your season?
Speaker 4: Well it is.
Speaker 2: But I think that's the hardest thing is because we have this unusual lull after the fourth of July. So the fifth of July is when you start seeing things for Halloween show open stores because we have this lull because there's really, like you don't decorate for Labor Day after fourth of July.
Speaker 4: So like there's kind of this big what's Labor Day decorating?
Speaker 1: We American flags and stuff.
Speaker 4: But that's fourth of July. Like you just don't put it away.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's what I'm saying, Like you don't there's no real change, Like fourth of July. The summer season is all about patriotism, and that's a great opportunity for you to celebrate people, you know, the Labor Party and all that things all the way through Labor Day. But then you really don't have any correct, exactly right, exact way, and so that's it is, so like you really start that the next major holiday doesn't come and tell Halloween, and so that's kind of the next transition over to the fall season. And so that's why I think this is really that big major push to now here comes back in school. I mean, I guess back to school would be the next big thing that hits the stores. So I mean, right, well, I mean the stores seem to they put out you know, you get your pencils and you're all your friend. I feel like Jack, you know what's his name, Jack Ryan? No, Jack Ryan is nevermind. Anyway, I think we're in the middle of it. Jack Ryan is like from the thing I was trying to think, why can't I remember what his name is? Who's our ABC News anchor? Or, who's our person? Jim Ryan, Jim Ryan, Jim Ryan. There we go, We'll.
Speaker 1: Ask Jim Ryan about it. Have you gues started decorating yet? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because my very first do you have to blow up inflatables have already been not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean that's the thing is everything goes up, you know, in August for me because that's just what it is. But then again, my birthday is Halloween, so I'm a I'm an outlier because you know Halloween, being born on Halloween, I mean, Halloween is all your long and even the funny part when you were saying you like to celebrate a each holiday individually, well, since nightmb before Christmas thirty years ago, you literally have this holiday celebration that's a merger of holidays where you have Halloween merges all the way straight on through into Christmas. So it's kind of hard because you have even a group of people globally for thirty years who have celebrated, you know, Halloween all the way straight on through indourcals.
Speaker 1: Come on one at a time.
Speaker 4: Conor holiday, Yeah, come on girl.
Speaker 14: Yes, my wife has decorated the house and I have put out the pumpkin, the blow up pumpkin.
Speaker 1: If you have an inflatable too.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I like the inflatables. I definitely like the inflatables. The more scary decorations. My wife likes the cutesie and I'm like, no, I'm.
Speaker 1: Totally with her. I want to scare the kids now coming. I don't want scary spiders. I want cute spiders.
Speaker 14: No, I want the people coming out of like my lawn, like the vili and yeah, like I like all of that thing.
Speaker 1: And that's what Anne likes too, because look at her nodding her head.
Speaker 4: So we get along.
Speaker 1: When when is too early to decorate? Thirty seven percent of people put up their decorations in the first week of October. Nineteen percent wait until the week of the holiday. See I think that's too long.
Speaker 4: No, wait too late.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that only makes up thirty seven and nineteen So that's just under sixty percent. So that means the rest of us are decorating before the first of October. Yeah, so get with it. I think that you've convinced me though, even though I don't like to go too soon, I think it's time. This weekend is decoration time. We're spending twelve point two billion dollars on Halloween this year. Just so you know, if you're wondering why you're checking accounts a little low, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Former USC Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush has followed a lawsuit against the university, the PAC twelve conference, and the nc DOUBLEA. He wants to be compensated for his name, image and likeness when he played for the Trojans. Bush attorney Evan Selik says the suit contends USC, the PAC twelve and then nc DOUBA profited greatly from TV contracts, merchandise sales, and media rights that stemmed from Bush's football career, and he was not compensated at the time due to NCUBA regulations. An elderly man's been hit and killed by a bus near the Puente Hills Mall in the City of Industry. It happened just before six last night on Azusa Avenue. CHP Captain Melissa Hammond says, investigator are trying to figure out how it happened.
Speaker 8: If anybody has captured the footage, if any Tesla drivers were in the area that may be willing to cooperate and provide footage from their vehicles, And again we're contacting local surrounding businesses to see what, if any if they have security cameras that could help.
Speaker 1: The man was pronounced dead at the scene. No one on board the Foothill Transit bus was hurt. A bear in Sierra Madre has gotten a little bit too comfortable in the crawl space underneath the couple's home.
Speaker 4: It was really big, but totally harmless.
Speaker 1: Bob and Susan Essler say the bear mostly minds his own business, leaves late at night, and then returns early in the morning without bothering anyone.
Speaker 4: I wasn't too concerned.
Speaker 1: I figured he'd eventually go away.
Speaker 4: If it was a grizzly bear, i'd pack and go.
Speaker 5: But it's a black bear, so he's not too If I don't bother him, he's not going to bother.
Speaker 1: Me, The couple tells KTLA they call the bear Junior. Bob says his biggest complaint is that the bear leaves piles of scat as he put it, Bear sightings in the area not unusual. The couple says they've been in contact with wildlife officials, but only want the bear removed if it can be done humanely. Junior, the bear, that's so cute. Hey, we were just talking about Halloween and it is Halloween time at the Disneyland Resort. K I AM six forty wants to give you a chance to experience the frightful fun at the Disneyland Resort now through October thirty. First, you're going to find fiendishly tasty treats, thrills for one and all, and beautiful decor for both Disney California Adventure Park and Disneyland Park. Keep it right here on KFI because wake Up Call is going to have your chance to win a four pack of one day one park tickets to the Disneyland Resort. Faculty at several uc campuses have filed an unfair labor practice claim against the system's administrators. They're accusing the campuses of violating labor law by cracking down on professors who joined in on pro Palestinian protests. Some faculty members have been disciplined for supporting on campus encampments. Thousands are fleeing South Lebanon as Israel carries out its deadliest bombardment in the country since It's war with hides BLA in two thousand and six. Packing suitcases, mattresses, blankets, and rolled up carpets. Families have jammed highways leading to Beirut. Almost five hundred people were killed by Israeli airstrikes in Lebanon yesterday. The Dodgers will begin a three game series against the Padres tonight at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers need to win two of those games to clinch their third consecutive National League West title. They've got their work cutout for him. The Dodgers are three and seven against San Diego this season. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. Stephen, the man who was lying in wait for former President Trump at his golf course has had a court appearance. What did we find.
Speaker 6: Out, Well, we found out the prosecutors say Ryan Ruth engaged in a month long plan to assassinate Donald Trump, that he spent roughly thirty days in South Florida trying to stalk Trump and ultimately established a sniper position outside the West Palm Beach Golf Club, like something out of the movies or out of a war zone, according to prosecutors. So there was a handwritten note that we heard so much about yesterday that prosecutors say Ryan Routh sent to a friend and it was in a box months ago, in which he said, dear world, this was an assassination attempt on Donald Trump, but I'm so sorry I failed you. And in the letter he offers a bounty for anyone who could complete the job. Now, obviously there's a great deal of curiosity about the timing of that letter months ago. You know what is all this? Well, we don't know the answer.
Speaker 1: The thing that I was wondering about, Stephen, is the if it was sent months ago and the person did the person open it at the time, or did the person not open it, or was there something on it that said like don't open till Christmas.
Speaker 6: I don't know the answer to that. This was in a court filing, as it was only ten pages and those details were not inside, but it said simply here quote. On September eighteenth, which was last week, law enforcement was contacted by a civilian witness who stated that Ruth had dropped off a box at his read several months prior. After learning of the incident at Trump International on September fifteenth, the witness opened the box. The witness stated the box contained ammunition, a metal pipe, miscellaneous building materials, tools, four phones, and various letters. And one of those letters, addressed to the world said what we said that it was an assassination attempt. So that's a bit more detail in terms of what else was in that box. But it's interesting, very bizarre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So when Ralph was in court yesterday, was it just to decide whether he could have bail or not, or did they formally charge him or what was the official seedings of yesterday?
Speaker 6: This was a pre trial detention hearing before a magistrate judge, a pretty pro forma and perfunctory. The question is is this man a danger? Does he is there a risk of flight? And the should a bail be set? The answer was no bail should be set. The hearing lasted three hours and we learned a bit more about the prosecution's case and the strength of the evidence. Now what happens. Remember two federal charges have been entered in this case. Both of them related to the firearm, the SKS Soviet style rifle that was found on long the fence line at Trump International Golf Club. The charges are related to Ryan rout Ruth's Ryan Ruth's criminal passed because he was a convicted felon, so he shouldn't have had a firearm. And the other fact is that the serial number was etched out and that's a crime. So those are the two charges so far. But prosecutors indicated an open court yesterday that they're going to go to the grand jury and they're going to seek a charge of attempted assassination of a presidential candidate, a federal crime which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.
Speaker 1: And because he didn't actually pull the trigger, he didn't actually attempt to assassinate him, but he planned it, do they get you on like a conspiracy theory or.
Speaker 6: At well, I mean, look, the fact is that the weapon was being aimed, okay, And so I don't know that you could avoid a charge of attempted murder just because or attempted assassination just because the trigger wasn't pulled. And that'll be something that prosecutors and the defense lawyers will know, perhaps argue if they need to before the jury, but I don't see why the fact that the trigger wasn't pulled means that it wasn't an attempt.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Okay, Well, it really bizarre case, like you said, and it'll be interesting to see what happens next. Do we know when he is the next court date?
Speaker 6: I believe there's an arraignment set for next week, so or at least the days ahead. I'm not exactly sure, but the bottom line is yesterday was an opportunity for the world to get a bit more of a sense of what the evidence is against this man, Ryan Ruth, and the process will move forward. He's been defended so far by a court appointed public defender. I don't know whether that will change, but so far that is the circumstance.
Speaker 1: All right, Steven Portenoy, thanks so much for the information.
Speaker 2: You bet.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A teacher at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School in the Valley who lost his job because of low enrollment has been reinstated. About one hundred kids walked out of class and marched to school district offices in support of the teachers yesterday. Sophomore Nadia Buer says cutting teachers will cause a downward spiral.
Speaker 8: Without having those teachers will start to lose more enrollments and our school may be closed.
Speaker 1: The district told students and staff yesterday that music teacher Wes Hambright was reinstated. Spanish teacher Glenda Hurtado is still losing her job. A program in La that dispatches social workers to some emergency calls is expanding.
Speaker 7: The Unarmed Crisis Response Pilot program has been approved to add three more LAPD divisions to its list of service areas, but City Councilman Unisses Hernandez says now the city needs to beef up its emergency dispatch center to handle the call volume.
Speaker 11: It doesn't matter how many teams we built, circle on our prices response any other additional teams if we do not have a dynamic and responsive dispatching system.
Speaker 7: The city council approved expanding the program to the Police Department's Olympic, West Valley and West LA divisions in downtown La.
Speaker 4: Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The five day workweek has been the corporate standard for a long time at ABC Staria Albinger says that might not be the case much longer.
Speaker 15: CEO of Four Day Week Global and nonprofit that coaches companies through the process, says one less day on the job has been shown to improve mental and physical health and that can improve productivity.
Speaker 1: She says more companies are exploring the option of a four day work week, sometimes with employees working longer hours. You only have three days longer to wait until Neil Savader and I go over the edge for the Union Rescue Mission. The countdown is on. Neil and I are going to be repelling off the Universal Hilton over by Universal Studios twenty five stories down to raise money for the Union Rescue Mission, which is fighting homelessness. And if you are you've heard us talking about it. If you're on the edge about whether to donate, we do hope that you well. We know it's your harder and money and we know that money is tight these days. But these people actually are benefiting from what the Union Rescue Mission is doing. We talked to Jody Cobb, who's one of the success stories. Yesterday she was homeless, she's back on her feet, she's in housing. She's working and she's paying it forward now and helping other people now. So as mother Teresa said, you can't feed one hundred people, you can feed just one. And so the Union Rescue Mission is asking you to just help one, and you can just help one by making a donation to either nil or to me for Team iHeart. We've got several people who are going to be repelling and we would love it. Five dollars, fifty dollars, five hundred dollars, will take it all. It's at just help one dot org. And again we're going to be repelling on Friday, and we hope you'll make a donation before then, and I'll just say a reemptive thank you. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,