Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with.
Speaker 2: It when coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is the Lesbian Chronicles. Yeah, welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles.
Speaker 3: Joining us in studio on my body day on her birthday?
Speaker 1: Has that? What ever happened where the show lined up?
Speaker 2: I was just thinking, I'm like, usually if it's a birthday situation where like not, I don't even like to work on my.
Speaker 1: Birthday, So this doesn't work. This is fun exactly. I'm mortally I'm usually gone out of town on my birthday.
Speaker 3: Hide, yeah, but not tonight. Not tonight. But you're going out. You are going out of town though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am going out of town. I'm leaving tomorrow morning. I didn't I usually like to be gone on the day. But I don't remember why I didn't do that this time. I think it had to do with boarding the dog and yeah, other nonsensical things.
Speaker 2: And we celebrated you on Saturday night. I thought you you guys, dude, Okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell them because this is like unreal.
Speaker 2: Had I not take credit for this idea? I don't even know who came up with the idea.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think it was Kristin Thomas, who I just had brunch with. By the way, thank you, Kristin. Nice.
Speaker 2: So I get a text like maybe a day or two before we're supposed to meet up for your birthday that says everyone's dressing like Ali.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I love this idea.
Speaker 1: I got this, and you have it probably the most of everyone.
Speaker 3: Well, I was like, okay, this is easy. I've got plenty in my closet, like, no big deal.
Speaker 2: In fact, you didn't even notice that I was dressed like you when you first see it.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until the long sleeve around the waist felt a little bit something you may not do normally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was really my distinguishing factor that in the boots with shorts I wouldn't normally do.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was like.
Speaker 2: When when Kristin and Amy walked in and Robin, I was like, yep, nailed it, like you guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, So these people are showing up to my place for a for a beverage before the event that I didn't even know why we were hosting. So Melissa essentially has people showing up at my house beforehand, and each one of them is showing up dressed weird, but you can't put it together until you see a few of them, and then you're like, Okay, guys, what's going on here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like Lindsay had on like workout clothes.
Speaker 3: That didn't make sense until later.
Speaker 1: They didn't make sense until later, and when she walked in, I was like, I'm shocked she's wearing that to the bar. And then also the next day when I went to meet her, we work out together. I go to meet her and I realize as I'm putting on my workout outfit, She'd like nailed it. It's like socks and birken stocks. It's like yoga pants. I mean, I was like cut off tea with big armholes. She nailed it. And then did Kristen tell you? Her and Amy went out beforehand to dinner and She's like, I have never felt so physically uncomfortable in my clothes as I did in your look out.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious. I think that speaks to like they know their style.
Speaker 2: You know, if it's that uncomfortable, they need to be in that little their femme world.
Speaker 1: Still, well, do you think like if we had to dress like them? Like I was thinking, like, what if somebody told me that I have to go to the bars in a dress and wedgets?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I would feel I am comfortable.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe this is our test maybe for a Christmas birthday, will dress like her?
Speaker 1: I know, like I don't even know that I could, at least like my look is a little bit Adam Sandler comfortable on the weekend, right, it doesn't have to be. There's just like a committed look like I would look like an idiot.
Speaker 3: You look like a suburban mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean they have great clothes, and.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say they're making it sound like they dress lovely.
Speaker 2: They they just look put together, like straight out of a magazine magazine.
Speaker 1: But it's like, imagine me in the wedges and the great like, I just wouldn't. I would look so silly.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking about this because I was going through pictures to post for your Instagram birthday posts, and I was like, dude, I could really pull some out of the archives here. I'm so glad you don't even look like either of us anymore.
Speaker 1: It makes me like, for some reason only, it makes me a little embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it is kind of interesting to think about, like how different it is, and it does I wouldn't. I don't know if embarrassed is the right word. It's more so like, who was I then?
Speaker 1: I know it's like, am I faking it now? Or was I faking it that?
Speaker 3: I don't feel like I'm faking it now. I feel more genuine now, Like even I'm definitely more genuine getting on this.
Speaker 2: I was like, man, I look really like girly today, but I just shot an audition where I have to like look kind of just you know, like normal, like a regular human. I can't wear a flat built hat for a commercial for a grocery store chain.
Speaker 1: That would not if you're married to a man.
Speaker 2: If they want to mix it up a little bit, you know, maybe they throw in a lesbian.
Speaker 1: I will say, like, we have these new marketing people who they know I'm gay, and they were putting together, like are some pictures for our website, and on one of the pictures they put two women like looking over like a house am, And I thought, strategically, are they doing it for me? Or are they doing it for like do they think that's going to appeal to the masses.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, lesbians remodeled their homes too.
Speaker 1: They just did they do it. They just did themselves.
Speaker 3: They just do it themselves exactly.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, terrible, terrible, terrible. Also, speaking of which, when we were out that night for my birthday, I'm seeing like a lot of the videos. Well, first of all, we should post the picture of all of us standing dressed in the outfits. But as the videos like rolled in of the evening, like people start sharing like videos they took, I'm like, oh my god, you guys. Once again, I was overserved.
Speaker 3: I was over served on thousand once again.
Speaker 2: That's definitely the case. I mean what, it was a fun night, That's what matters.
Speaker 1: It was a good night. And I never did any of the shots that were being Twice I saw d of shots go and I literally was like, how do I pretend and not do this? All right, well, let's talk gay.
Speaker 3: Let's talk gay.
Speaker 2: This is kind of something that we've touched on a little bit before, but just in the sense of like dating over the age of I'm just gonna say forty.
Speaker 3: I don't. I'm not, you know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Feeling so much older than that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm thinking of our listeners that are under forty that might be a little bit more mature.
Speaker 3: You know my.
Speaker 1: Birthday, all right?
Speaker 2: I know, what do you want me to say? Over fifty that's when you start dating better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, over fifty is when all the magic happens.
Speaker 3: Guys, all the magic happens. Well anyway, This post from.
Speaker 2: Jillian Tareki says a relationship over forty is sometimes the first time people can love without losing themselves. You're not too late, You're finally clear on who you are. And I resonate with that massively right now, because I don't I feel like this is the first time that I've been dating, and I don't feel like I'm wrapped up. I'm not losing myself in one person. I'm not banking on everything working out with certain people like end All be All, and just slowly getting to know not only like the new people, but like myself and the process and how I feel like in a way that I can't say that I've ever done.
Speaker 1: Okay, so say more like you're more instead of like fantasizing and building a future with some random stranger that you've just started dating that you really know nothing about until you have a few seasons with somebody. You're saying that, like essentially you're just like sitting in the dating and being like, how do I feel right now? Like what is my nervous system doing? What is my vibe right now?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, exactly, yeap, And you're discovering not getting in my head and creating a story as to who this person is or who they could be in the future, really trying.
Speaker 3: To like live like right now week by week?
Speaker 2: When am I doing? You know, what plans do I have? What do I want to learn more about this person? And just it's it's kind of it feels unusual to me based on how so many other people around me have dated. It's so easy with women just to get so wrapped up in it. But I've had to like like hold myself back. You know, you want to talk all day, You want to like dive right in and FaceTime and like interact constantly and have all those answers. But it's it just kind of in a way, it takes away from actually dating. When you're doing like NonStop texting, you're not getting to know them like in person.
Speaker 1: I could and then you I do think sometimes when you pour so much in so fast that but like it starts to be mechanical in that you're like wake up in the morning, good morning, go through the day, then at night good night. Like it becomes almost like robotic in that I have to do these check ins because this relationship needs that. I don't know, like you know what I mean, Like, if you're not doing these things, then it's like, am I progressing this thing fast enough?
Speaker 3: Right? And it's an expectation.
Speaker 2: I think that progresses a relationship too fast, right, you know.
Speaker 3: I think it's fine to check.
Speaker 2: In, you know in the mornings or at nights if you've ha been having a conversation, you know, say you're going to bed and good night. But if the conversation's already kind of dwindled down, I'm just gonna go to bed, you know, Like I don't need to announce it.
Speaker 1: How long do you think you have to date someone before you can make it like an official, Like I know there's no hard and fast rule, but in your mind, can you date someone for a month and then be exclusive.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of people do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've done it way sooner than that before though, Okay, And I think I've just learned that there's just so much more to learn about a person beyond that first month. And I think it looks different in different scenarios, you know, like with you, you are able to kind of spend time with someone in a more more frequent capacity and a more measured capacity.
Speaker 1: So it makes sense. Yeah, No, I think my job, my life, I have a different the woman I'm dating. We have, we work alongside each other. We might I see her every single day, we work out together many times. Like I You're right, like I have opportunities to spend time with her that kind of fast forward things, probably faster than maybe you would because your job is a little different than mine, your responsibilities, you live further away. I think, yeah, all those things come into play. I do think what's interesting is with this relationship. At the very beginning, I was very very clear on what I want, what I'm looking for, and I found myself almost like going into it like the I don't want to say it was like a turn off to her, but she's like, damn, I hope I fit into this fucking box that you've created that is like this or the highway essentially. But I wasn't saying it like that. It was more like, listen, I'm not wasting time. This is what I'm looking for. I'm not if I see things that aren't going to align, We're going to be great friends. But I am not pursuing beyond that. Yeah, because I am so clear on my what I'm looking for in a partner that it doesn't it feels like a waste of time to continue down a path that I already see things that aren't going to align.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think some of those things may be bigger than others. You know, there might be small and it's like, oh.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I feel about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think you know, you might notice little, small things, but you don't let that be the reason to take off because it is hard to find good people. And I feel really lucky right now that I've I've met some really good people totally. And I think it also speaks to the fact of, like, you know, for years now, I've talked about how small our dating pool is. I do think it's really small for sure, but I think it's ever changing.
Speaker 1: You know, like people get on there's a constant.
Speaker 2: Right they get on the ass and they get disappointed really quick because it's like, well there's no one here. You might even swipe through your results within a few days. But I've just noticed that, like there's just constantly new people joining, you know, it ebbs and flows, and it's it's more so of like the time that you put into it. On top of that, just being heavily aware of who you're communicating with, because I have noticed even like I'm talking with people that have turned out to be catfish, you know, and I feel like I'm very hyper aware of that situation. It's still it still happens.
Speaker 1: You can tell what people's like. And it's not to say everybody has different things that they value, different value systems of like what's important to them, and it doesn't make what's important to you better than what's important to me. It's just different. Like I think you are a very very high caliber person and you and I probably value different things different ways, and that, right, that's great, But I think like you can tell early on sort of if things aren't going to align, even based on how people mother or what kind of future you know, they see if they do have children. One of the things that Nikki and I definitely align on is we aren't looking for this like retirement without our children. We want to be with them. We like them the best. We would rather probably pick an evening with them than our friends. You know. It's like there, but there's plenty of people My parents would say that is never what they thought. They they loved my sister and I, but they they that wasn't their life wasn't going to be about grandchildren and us. Even though they love us and they want us and they love their grandchildren, it's just a different philosophy. And I think, like, I want a partner who wants to travel to see the kids or you know, create experiences that we can all be together. That is very, very very important to me. Yeah, and so I don't I'm not going to waste time if some but he's like, man, I can't wait to get these kids out of here. I'm ready to be an empty nester. Well, you're gonna hate your life with me because that's not what it's going to look like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, that's something I think a lot about a lot too, is like wherever I live, I'm like, I need I want space for my kids to be. I don't care how old they are, you know, I want to be able to wherever they are either move there or be able to visit frequently. Totally so, And I think that's just it. It's like it's one of the difficulties. One of the hurdles that comes with dating later in life is that you know, you're not starting out fresh with like no kids in the bank.
Speaker 3: You know, if.
Speaker 2: You both might have kids, one of you might not have kids. Do you want to not only be with me forever? But these kids are going to be forever totally. Sure, they're going to college in a few years, but they're still going to be very much around.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I think it's like you have to figure out there's like things about people that you'll learn. People they're social butterflies. They get a lot of like oxytocin or whatever the dopamine from like going out, and like I get some, but like I wouldn't say that's like my dream life is to be my parents go out four nights a week. They go out four nights a week, They go to dinners, they socialize. They have parties four nights out of the week. When I go visit them, I am exhausted. Yeah, and so I don't want that for me.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a lot. My mom is starting to say it's it's it's a lot. And so they you know, they have certain things that they do. And I always say when I'm visiting, like, I'm too tired for life.
Speaker 3: For my elderly parents.
Speaker 1: I'm too tired for my elderly parents. I want to I really enjoy dinner in front of the TV and going to bed early. I think I just do. Like it's embarrassing, but like that is a value of mine that like, I don't I want to mess with somebody who also likes to do that because I'm not looking to have a highly stimulating evening all the time.
Speaker 2: But I mean that's not unheard of obviously, Like youah found a lot of people who want to do that same thing and seem very happy with it.
Speaker 1: I can make it really fun, y'all.
Speaker 3: Yes, sure, I can make an eight thirty bed time or so fun.
Speaker 1: Actually, the bedtime part's the fun part that you do like a that's where the magic, that's where the magic really happens. Sure, I actually do do a facial routine and then I try to be quiet on the set by nine pm.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, last night I told read what I want for my birthday is I wanted him to grill a steaks and then just let me quietly. This was last night, not my actual birthday. Yeah, but last time, I'm like, I want you to grill me a stake and just like allow me to watch the show and like.
Speaker 3: Peace, like, don't ask me any questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he would don't have to sign anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my kids have been in school for what three days, and every day there's like a pile of papers to Oh my god, no, so might haven't even gone back to school yet.
Speaker 3: It's wild.
Speaker 1: It's totally wild. But yeah, tell me some ways that like somebody could align or better yet, tell me how somebody really quickly you would know this person is not going to align with me.
Speaker 3: Ah man, that's tough, I would. I mean I think a big thing is.
Speaker 2: For me now, like the party aspect kind of like yeah, on the apps, if I'm seeing someone who is like out all the time or it has that appearance, you know, I don't really want that anymore, Like I do, I want a balance, you know, but I also I mean I want a person that can go.
Speaker 3: Out and socialize as well.
Speaker 2: So but I think that's one of those things where there's just a lot of questions to be asked that you don't know right away. And I think probably the biggest thing is their willingness to show up because so many people are on these apps. So many people are on the apps, and they're they're just on there to be on there. They're not they don't want to meet up. So when it becomes like a pin pal situation or I'm like, hey, you know, do you have plans like can we meet up for a drink or something? And they don't respond or say that they're going to get back to me, and then they kind of disappear, I'm like, that's not it for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's also just like you should be excited to spend time with me, right Like you should be excited. You should be looking for a way to find.
Speaker 2: Find the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like.
Speaker 3: That's just it.
Speaker 2: It's like you can find an hour to go have coffee, you know, unless you're completely going out of town away whatever.
Speaker 3: Slammed. I don't know but then I'm like, well, why are you on the apps?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I agree wholeheart. That would be a very that would be a huge ick to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of people on there that well what happened if you just said I'm curious why you're on here?
Speaker 3: I don't even take it that far. I don't. I don't need an answer.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah you could already feel that from them, and so you just cut it right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why no response is an answer?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no response is an answer. I also have told my kids, like you, I feel this way about everybody. I know you've heard me say this. I feel this way about you. It is such a privilege to spend time like in your orbit, like, and there's only so many people who get to have a piece of you, So you don't just give it away wildly, Like every time you give a piece of your orbit to somebody else, you're losing a chance to give it to me, to give it to Kaylin, to give it to Bracket, to give it to a woman who's really interested in you. So I'm not in the business of just whoever wants a piece of this come like hang Like, it's just I'm beyond that now. Yeah, So it's like, if you're not actively excited about me, then I'd rather just not even go down the path.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's huge if anyone out there is dating and you're dealing with someone who doesn't it seems like maybe half interested, they're not engaging.
Speaker 3: I mean it's fine to go like I.
Speaker 2: Think a day or so without texting someone, especially prior to meeting, but yeah, they're delaying meeting you or making excuses about how they're so busy. They're not like, don't chase them.
Speaker 1: Don't just chase them, be done.
Speaker 2: Like you, you know, if I really wanted to meet someone, I could find the time.
Speaker 1: And if you can't find the time, then you're probably not someone who can start a relationship because you're not gonna have the time that it takes early on to create that trust to even build something. If there's no time to find an hour, then call me when you do have time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stay off the apps in the meantime.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also think like people misread like, well, have you ever heard of like John Gottman talk about like bids for connection, where it's like in relationships, people have bids for connection. But even like when you're first meeting someone, there's like bids for connection where it's like I might just bring up something silly to you. That's like I'm just trying to have a thing, like have a common ground with you. Maybe I'll bring up a book you mentioned or something. It's a bid for me to you to connect. And like, I think when people are first dating, you do a lot of that. There's a lot of like cues to like I want to connect with you. And I think if you're doing the cues and you're not getting back that same energy, you know it's happening. Stop making excuses for people, Like I think that wears me out when I hear my friends make excuses, Well they she was working. I know she was working until really late. It's like, well did she go to bed that night, because if she did, she had a few minutes to say, you know, I just got home, I wiped out, I'll call you first thing in the morning, or I'm excited to talk to you tomorrow. Right, It's not hard.
Speaker 2: And yeah, Like I think that's another thing is like some people that I have dated in the past would be like, oh, I fell asleep, I didn't yah, Now you didn't just fall asleep like we were. We've had a pattern that we've been following. And then it's one of those things too where they keep doing that and I'm like, I feel like it's a like if you've if you've set up the pattern to say good night every night, you're in that stage of the relationship, and then you stop, you don't do it. It's it's like, I know, you don't just fall asleep face first on your couch.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and it's you just took away something that I've come to expect as part of our dance of getting to know each other, right, and that is that is a nick to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And in a way, I think it's a way for the other person to push you away a.
Speaker 3: Little bit and also try to gain a little bit of control. Mm hmmm. And I mean in the in a low key way.
Speaker 2: I think that's underlying way that's what's happening, because it does put you off kilter a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stabilized, feeling good.
Speaker 1: No, And I think that is a it's a cruelty in my mind, Like I don't, I don't it's abuse, It's I don't want to say it's abusive. Because that's like a stretch. But it's like if you have somebody stressed at night worrying. I'm gonna tell you a quick story. This happened early on what I was dating that I don't even remember. I thought I said good night. I was out, and I actually did. I thought say good night and then went to sleep. I do go to bed earlier than most people. Well, this person that I was dating couldn't contact me, like she couldn't get in touch with me because I was asleep. I truly was. And the next morning I saw where she was, like our dynamic had been good night, good night, and she was so worried that she was like I almost like came over there like I'm I and I literally was like God, first of all, you're amazing. Second of all, I am so sorry, Like I agree with everything you're saying. You're not crazy. We did set up that dynamic and I somehow missed it or I thought I sent it and I didn't, And like I took that on as like.
Speaker 4: You you came to expect something that you absolutely should expect from me bare minimum, And I am so sorry, and she was like it's fine. I'm like it's actually not fine, and like, I how can I like make this up to you? Like I hate that that happened because I know that anxiety and I don't want you to feel that at.
Speaker 1: All for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's exactly the right way to respond, right, you know, like if someone brings something to you like that, you honor what they felt.
Speaker 1: Right, and she was right to feel it. I think a lot of times people would be as like, wow, Jesus, just because I didn't text you, And that to me is like I should have and I somehow thought I did and I didn't, And I don't know, Like, I think I agree with you. There's like a dance that you can come to expect, a dance in a friendship. If I text you at noon and I don't hear from you till eight o'clock at night, I don't I know our our thing. I know you're gonna be like, hey, I'm slammed. I'll call you later. Yeah, it takes two seconds. You respect me enough, so do that. Yeah, And I think, like I don't. I think you know, when you're on the side of a new thing where someone is not giving you that respect, you know it.
Speaker 2: And I think you know it's kind of like a fine dance kind of what we're talking about right now. As far as like there is those early stages where you haven't established that yet. You know, it's not a good night text every day, it's not a good morning text every day.
Speaker 3: You're not in that stage yet.
Speaker 2: But once you kind of set that expectation and that's happened, you know, let's say for three weeks in a row, and then it stops, like that is unsettling. It's very unsettling, and it feels like one of those first little things that happens before things start.
Speaker 1: To you know, yeah cut. And it could be that they're feeling like, oh my god, I all of a sudden have this responsibility to this person. How did I wake up in this relationship? But it's like those are the things that maybe they you talk to someone about I'm feeling this weird, like what.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: It could be like a subconscious thing for them too, you know, they're like like I am tired, I just want to go to bed. I don't want to send that text. I don't want to set that expectation anymore that I have been setting. But instead of verbalizing that, they just don't send the text.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what are there things like early on, because we talked to people a lot that email in they're new in relationships, what are other things you can think of that are like micro disrespects.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say this is this is a micro disrespect, but it is become a bit of like.
Speaker 3: A yellow flag.
Speaker 2: To me is if people are like leading with very heavy, heavy sexual conversations.
Speaker 3: Then it's I don't know, I don't like.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it can be like I get it, it is hot, for sure, but I think sometimes when it's like leaned a little too heavily into, it becomes a bit of like a weapon, like oh interesting to wait to reel you in, especially if it's coming off of like a situation that felt uncomfortable, you know, like but now look at this or now I say this, so you're back in it, you know. And again mild yellow flag, not like glaring like I don't want to do this, but yeah, although it is glaring red. If it's like we haven't met yet and you're doing that stuff, I'm like, peace out, like you don't know me.
Speaker 1: And green flags too, it's like people that I remember, like early on in this relationship, her wanting me to meet her friends. Like she felt like that felt good to her, and it also felt good to me, And I feel like that made me feel good, like that I was such a priority that it's like I can't wait for my friends to meet you, or the effort was so strong to make that happen that I don't know, Like I felt like that was a green flag of like, this is somebody who's clearly investing in me, and I think that's attractive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a very big green flag.
Speaker 2: Another green flag, I feel like it's just pure communication, you know, sending a text, you know, maybe once a day, just checking in that kind of stuff, Engaging, asking questions, remembering stuff that you've talked about before.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a big one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like asking like oh how did that thing go? Like that to me is huge if you remember something that I told you that.
Speaker 1: Actually just happened to a friend of mine where she's like, I had this I was starting a new job, huge thing happening for me, and then this person like called me with all this drama and like other shit, and all she was thinking is, you know, I am so anxious about this new position I'm starting, and you bring me this. It's like such a tone deaf yeah scenario, like is today the day for this thing that you've got to bring to me? Yeah, when you know I'm stressed.
Speaker 2: Did they realized or like, like did they forget that the job?
Speaker 1: Oh? I think they just they're so they were they knew the job was happening. They were so focused on their own shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's like that to me feels red flaggy. But I think you also have to like ask for the thing. Like one thing that I've been asked is like, hey, can you FaceTime me? Like can you FaceTime me? And it's like I love that because it's just like an immediate you're connected for real versus like talking on the phone. You're kind of connected, texting you're not really connected, but like, hey, do you have five minutes to FaceTime me? That just told me a million things about you. You told me that you want to see me. It told me that you're bidding for connection with me. Like I love that. Like I think that's a very big green flag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's kind of something that I've heard too about you know, we do get so heavily into texting, even voice memos I've noticed, like, while guilty, I feel like they're a great way to connect, but I'm noticing that sometimes I'm like, I'm listening to it, but then when i'm messaging back, I'm forgetting half of what was said.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of things that I.
Speaker 2: Don't even respond to that this person said, and it kind of gets lit.
Speaker 1: Do you like it? Because it's like, like, I did it today to you and Sam because I Sam Jones, not my Sam, but because I felt like I looked like the jerk in the conversation that we were having this morning. I looked like the dick, and so I wanted you to hear my tone around what I was saying versus like it. When I read back the text I wrote, I'm like, wow, if this ever goes to print, my parents say, never put something in writing. You don't want people to read this.
Speaker 3: If this goes into discovery, rude, I'm so fucked.
Speaker 1: So I was like, I'm going to do a voice memo so they can hear my tone, but also so this thing goes away and doesn't end up on the news.
Speaker 2: But it's true though, because sometimes I do voice memos for that reason.
Speaker 3: Sometimes too, because I realize.
Speaker 2: I'm like, the way that I'm texting does not sound good, and so I'm like tone matters.
Speaker 3: So as I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying this is what I mean, not like visually what you're reading, you know, but like there's levels to it. It's like texting is like bottom of the barrel voice memos, tear up phone call another, tear up FaceTime, top tier communication.
Speaker 1: Top tier. If you want to FaceTime me, I know you're interested. Yeah, so I think that's a good way to show someone a green flag. But I think also just bids for connection period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like responding to the Instagram story they send you yes, like a song whatever, like respond to it with kindness and.
Speaker 3: Don't just like thumbs up or hard or whatever.
Speaker 1: And I do believe that these like new relationships are they're fragile, and they like they need attention otherwise.
Speaker 2: Attention, time to grow, time to build a foundations. Like I don't know, I'm I am just doing the complete opposite of what I feel like I've expected out of a relationship, which is for it just to instantly be a connection, instantly for me to know all the things. And I'm taking a beat and I'm waiting to see what comes about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. Yeah, that's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: I think two like you and I have learned so much through the years, and not just our own experiences, but we are frontlines of a lot of people's experiences because of the podcast.
Speaker 1: So I do feel like I've gotten to a place of like, not only with her, am I able to say this is exactly what I needed, exactly what I'm looking for and a partner. But I think it's also like in this particular relationship, I feel this sense of like I haven't I've always shown up the best way I could, and so I haven't done anything yet that I'm like ashamed of or that I'm like, it's still new enough. I will give me a minute. I'm sure I'll give some terrible.
Speaker 3: There's still been time, there's time.
Speaker 1: But I do think also like I don't know, there's something to be said about when you do it. I don't I feel like this sense of like I'm I'm better now. Yeah, I don't know. I don't know how else to say it, Like I've just the skills.
Speaker 2: I learned are were paying off? YEA, Yeah, I love that. Yep, Well, I have a botox appointment to run too.
Speaker 1: Damn. I was thinking you look so pretty, you don't need it, but that's when you go, right, thank you this.
Speaker 3: I haven't been in a year, so it's about time.
Speaker 1: Whoa okay, yeah, all right, well enjoying. Are you coming to the city for it or you're doing it there?
Speaker 3: I'm doing it here. I'm trying someone new, so there you find out.
Speaker 1: If she's good. All right, I love it. Good luck to you, Thank you, bye bye.
Speaker 3: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 2: Rate us and write a review on Apple Podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We'd love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com. That's Melissa M. E.
Speaker 4: L I.
Speaker 1: S A and Ali A L l I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles