Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBZ Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much'll wish the Red Sox saved a few of those runs for tomorrow. Nineteen to three. That's a whooping. How would you like to be a member of Baltimore Orioles and realize that it's not even Memorial Day yet. It's going to be a long season, fella, It's going to be a long season for the Birds of Baltimore. My name's Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nights I'd heard every Monday through Friday night right here on WBZ. As you wend your way to the Cape or up north out towards the Berkshires, we will keep your company. You are more than welcome to join the conversation at any point. We have two hours down and two hours to go. On a Friday night, I will remind you I will be here on Monday night, Memorial Day. I will be here. I'm not sure. I don't think Rob's here. I think Rob's taking the holiday off, but I'm going to be here on Monday night. I will be off a couple of days next week on a personal matter, but that's a different that's a different story. So I will not be here each day next week, but I will be here on Monday night, actually Monday Tuesday, and then Friday. I'll be off Wednesday and Thursday. You can, by the way, catch up with past podcast Every hour on Nightside we put up on what's called podcast form on night Side on Demand. We don't publicize that as much as we should. So if over the weekend you have some time in your hands and you'd like to listen to the podcast version of any hour, just go to Nightside and Demand. You'll be able to listen to the hours. They post it in reversal order, which means tonight it's eleven o'clock hour, which we have yet to do, will be at the top of the list throughout the weekend, Rob posts those tonight. The second one will be the ten o'clock hour, which we're doing right now, and the third one will be Last Hour, which we did with Frank Baker, Boston City Council at Large candidate. And you've got the pattern going backwards and again. The podcast hours are only about four two minutes or so. There's a couple of commercials got to listen to, but that's that's the price of entertainment, folks. I hate to tell you I we need to have a sponsorship on this program, and I would hope that you would support the problem. If you like Knights Out, I hope you would support all of our sponsors. There's no one who's who's who I sponsor, who I endurese that I do not use myself. Whether it's doctor Frankie or Awaken one eighty or Eastern Bank or someone like doctor sal dental implants. These are people who support the program. I've never had a dental implant, but I have sat in the chair out there with in doctor Sale's office and understand what a great job he does. So again, when I tell you that I believe in something, whether it's Awaken one anywhere I've lost thirty five pounds ten years ago, or Prolo therapy which helps me stay in the gym because they have a bulky left ankle, or Eastern Bank, which is just a great bank run by Bob Rivers, the president there, who really is in tuned with what banking customers here in the Greater Boston area Eastern Massachusetts really need. So yeah, I sometimes need to take more time to just reassure you. And as they say, we always love input from you in terms of stories. We will do an eleven o'clock hour tonight, and which of course is the twentieth hour, and I will tell you that I'm thinking tonight of giving you three options in the eleven o'clock hour, And it is also what we call a hall pass hour, which means even if you have called in earlier this week, we'd like to try to keep people to one call a week, but in that eleven o'clock hour, or what we call the twentieth hour of the week, everyone has a hall pass. So I want to talk this hour about the Trump administration. Now. I think all of you know that I am not what you would call a down the line Trumper. I like to think of myself as someone who's willing to look at what a president does and say, yeah, I agree with that, or maybe I don't agree with it. Many of you out there are for on with Donald Trump no matter what he does, which is fine. I respect that that is not me. I think he's done a great job on the water and I think it was necessary. I think that his trip to the Middle East was very successful. I'm hoping that some of the prisoner exchange that occurred between Russia and Ukraine in the last forty eight hours. Augurs, Well, I am not convinced that all of the tariffs needed to be adjusted. I think they could have been much more specifically applied. But there's one that perplexes me and I don't understand it, and maybe you can help me that are understand it, okay, And that is Donald Trump's war with Harvard. Now, I did not go to Harvard. I went to Boston State College. I have two kids who went to Harvard. They paid full vote. Okay, it's as simple as that. There are I guess twenty five percent of the undergraduate and graduate students at Harvard who come from countries around the world. Now, if someone comes to this country from another country on a visa, I think they need to behave themselves. Can they participate in demonstrations, Absolutely absolutely. I would like to think that they would participate in demonstrations that are support are of our country's history and our policies. If someone like the students at Columbia physically interfered with Jewish students or Israeli students because they're Jewish or Israel, pull their visis get them out of here. Okay. But that person. There's a line between free speech. Going to a demonstration is not the same as impeding someone from walking to classes. And I don't understand why Donald Trump feels that he wants to go after Harvard. Now, I know Harvard is the biggest and the best and the most well known. Obviously Princeton, Yale and a lot of a lot of the other ivys would disagree with that analysis, but I think it is the school that is known best around the world. I'm sure those that at Oxford might disagree with that, but for our purposes, I think we can agree upon that. I think that the new president of Harvard, Alan Garber, has has indicated that he is willing to have conversations with the Trump administration. But at the same time, I don't think that the Trump administration should expect the president of Harvard to essentially surrender and say we're done whatever you want us to do. Now, the Trump administration filed an action to basically tell Harvard you can no longer accept foreign students and we're going to pull the visas of those who are here with their student visas. Now that's a huge threat. It's a huge threat, but it's a threat not only to the institution. It's a threat that's heard around the world. It is a shot that's turned around the world. It basically says to the world that if you're interested in coming here to a university, whatever your goal is is to get, whether it's to become educated and become citizens here or to become educated and go back and lift up your own country, it's a noble goal in my opinion. In my opinion, and you're penalizing young people from around the world. Uh, in my opinion unnecessarily. Can you distinguish and can you say, Okay, this person at Columbia did this, This person at Columbia engaged in rhetoric that was virulently anti semitic. Absolutely pull the visa, but do it on an individual basis. If anyone out there can explain to me why Donald Trump seems so intent to going after Harvard, I'd love to have a conversation six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three, one, ten thirty and one final court with Donald Trump. I don't think understood in his first term, and I had hoped he would understand in his second term, was that you govern by majority in a democracy. And once you lose your majority, you lose your power. You basically expend political capital that you have earned in your campaign. I thought that he was in a wonderful campaign, survived an assassin's bullet, survived the second potential assassination attempt, and I think that that there will be people who will follow him through a brick wall. But that is not fifty one percent of the American people. He has the support and had the support of about fifty plus. It was not a mandate President Trump. It was an election, okay, and you ran against a weakened Democratic Party and a weekended Democratic candidate. And if you think that you can spend political capital by pursuing things like Harvard and throwing students who are here and have never done anything problematic, you will destroy your own candidacy. It won't be the Democrats who will destroy it. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. Let's get this conversation going. We're going to go with this until eleven o'clock. Convince me I'm wrong, Convince me I'm wrong. I think my position is absolutely defensible, but I want to hear from you if you agree with me. I'd love to hear from you. If you disagree with me, I want to hear from you back on night Side after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All let's go to the phone. It's gonna go to Joel and Native Joel, you are first up this hour. Welcome my friend.
Speaker 3: How are you fine?
Speaker 4: Man? I have a collection night for you. Sure Fox For nineteen o five, Tall pitched the ninth inning and gave up two runs to the bom Royals who.
Speaker 2: Pitched the ninth inning. Oh the first basement. Okay, yeah, okay, well thanks, thank you, thank you very much. So that means the Orioles had a field goal and a safety.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right now. Now that Parma University, Parmi University does not scream any kind of students at the university doesn't care whether the students come from, as long as they paid that tuition or the country to come from pay the tuition. Alvin Eursey wants to be diversified, so anti American and antisemitic propal study in Phama's students as well Communist Chinese students will allow to attend with no second thoughts I cannot say that about the copany, but they're probably just as bad as the students.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I think that there there are certainly there was a professor at Harvard who was indicted, served time here and is now accepted a faculty position in China. You're right, I mean, there's no question there's about I guess seven thousand students what twenty eight thousand between undergraduates and graduate students at Harvard, you know, a huge figure. My problem is when you paint with the broad brush, I don't know that you do yourself much good. I understand Harvard is big and represents a lot of things that uh, you know, real diehard Trump supporters are concerned about. But I just think that you know why, you know what is do you think the President Trump thinks that every one of these people from around the world who have come to Harvard are bad people? I mean, why would you paint with such a why why do you paint with such a broadbrush? And again, you and I see this a little differently. You know, I am as as virulently concerned about anti Semitism. I am fundamentally concerned about that, and I don't like the scent of it. I don't like the smell of it, and it needs to be rooted out. And some of those kids at Columbia who blocked Jewish students from attending classes, that's it. You're gone. You're gone. But why go after every student? What's the rationale in your mind?
Speaker 4: I don't know if there's any astronaut, but I've made COGNI needs to do a better job so it wouldn't be such a broad brush.
Speaker 2: Well I know that, but but I just think that that the concept of Uh, you know, when when a plane lands here in Boston from another country, uh, and you know people are here as tourists and they have visas or or they're here as visitors or whatever. You you assume that they're coming here for the right reason. Now, if somebody comes here and commits a crime, they have to abide by by our laws. I'm not saying all of these people who are here, these students have come from student visas. They're here legally, whether you like them or not. Now, obviously the president, I guess, can try to suspend the program. It's going to end up in court. I think he's going to lose in court. I just think it's counterproductive that when when you have these students who are interfering with fellow students who happen to be Jewish or Israeli. Does does he want to have Harvard throughout the Israeli students who are here as well, Because when he tells Harvard to get rid of all the students, he's going to be getting rid of some Israeli students. I don't want to get rid of the Israeli students. I don't want to get rid of students from other countries that they can learn the positive aspects of America. I don't know. I just I think he likes to fight for the sake of fighting, Joel, and he picks fights that he can't win and he lose. It hurts his credibility in my opinion.
Speaker 4: You know, as long as students are here, I'm visus and they expect America.
Speaker 5: I have no problem with that.
Speaker 4: It's only when they viewers go against American views that they should not be there.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm with you. We would probably have to debate over what going against American views. If there is some student here who says that they disagree with Donald Trump or whatever, that's you know, that's that's fine, that's acceptable as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, However, if they come here and they say they have a right to prevent, you know, Jewish students from going to class or studying in the library, or going into the cafeteria, that's unacceptable. That student has forfeited their rights to be here. But you do it on an individual basis.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, I agree with doing that. I agree with you on that.
Speaker 2: All right, So we're in. We're more in agreement than in disagreement. Joel. And I know you're a you're a Trump supporter, and I respect that. And I thank you for having listened to me here, and and and I I just I think he hurts his cause. I think he hurts his cause in my opinion. Thanks Joel, Dan, you too, my friend. Talk soon. Okay, all right, let me let me start Harvey Silver glad here Hobby is called in, and I know Harvey will have something interesting to say. Harvey, go right ahead. If we got a break for the newscast, I can always kick you over to the other side of the news. Go right ahead, my friend.
Speaker 5: Trump's attack on Harvard is not done as a matter of principle. The man has no principles. He was pro Israel until he went to Cutter. They gave him, they gave him a plane, they gave him a lot of deals. Suddenly he's a friend of the Arabs.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he's still I still think he's pro Israel, Harvey. I think that he's trying to bring uh. I think he's trying to cause some division within the Arab block over there, and he's trying to get Cutter in the UAAR and maybe eventually Saudi Arabia to establish legitimate relations with Israel.
Speaker 5: I don't think he's you and I disagree with that.
Speaker 2: To the wolves. You really think he would throw Israel to the wolves.
Speaker 5: If there was something in it for him.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, the.
Speaker 5: Man has no principles. Okay, anyway, but that's going by the point.
Speaker 3: With respect to Harvard, Harvard.
Speaker 5: Is, as a matter of fact, the wealthiest American institution. It is, as a matter of fact, the oldest American institution of higher learning. It is subjectively considered one of the half dozen best universities in the world. Trump figures if he could bring Harvard down, he can control American higher education, beating his megalomania and That's the reason he has attacked Harvard, don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think legally he can win that fight.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think he's gonna win because he didn't. He expected Harvard to fold like a cheap suit that like Columbia did.
Speaker 3: But Garber and the president Garber were in Provost.
Speaker 5: Manning suddenly decided enough is enough and they decided to say no. And Trump ego was really bugged by that, and so he is trying to bring Harvard them.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I got to ask you a question. I gotta ask you a question. Would you agree with me that Columbia has much more to account for in how they conducted themself, how the university conducted themselves in the face of these demonstrations that Harvard did. I think Harvard can have conducted themselves very well. I think Columbia had a lot to answer for.
Speaker 5: I agree with that. But letting Trump run Columbus was not the The answer was self improvement, Yes, self reform. No, Colombia has destroyed itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what I'm saying is is that they still and and they The president of Columbia is Claire Shipman, who used to be a network television reporter. Incidentally, I didn't realize she had such academic credentials to be the president of Columbia.
Speaker 3: I are you.
Speaker 2: Familiar with her background? She's she was a good reporter, good network reporter. I think she at one one point was married to Jake Sullivan, the former national security advisor of President of President Biden. But I didn't think that of hers would be like thinking of me as the president of a college it was. It would not be a good it would not be a good look. Harvey, I think Garbera I agree with you. I think Garbera has actually indicated to Trump that he's willing to talk and that they have done some things at Harvard actually, And it's like Trump, he doesn't want to take the victory. He'd rather continue to pound Harvard.
Speaker 5: Because I actually wrote a letter to Manning, to John Manning and too Alan garber and I said, you know, you guys, I'm so glad to see that you haven't so you've shown backbone. And I increased my annual giving, and I said, I suspect that there are a lot of alumni who increased their donations in order to help make up the shortfall.
Speaker 2: But I also think I also think Harvey to his credit and if I'm wrong, please tell me. I think to his credit, Garber sent signals make comments which suggested that they recognized that maybe they could tighten up the ship a little bit, and they wor Yeah, they were willing to.
Speaker 5: We're working on it. Yeah, and they're working on it. And I got an email back from Garber thanking me for my support. I'll beheaf of himself and the provost Manning, And so they understand that I and the letter of other alumni are backing them.
Speaker 3: Up on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I'm in similar fashion with you here. And if you talk to Alan Garvin, he'd like to be on the show. He's more than welcome. I mean, I think that he had said to the administration, and not in so many words, hey, we realize that we're not perfect. We can do some things better here, and maybe Trump recognized that or perceived that as a sign of weakness as opposed to a sign of accommodation and decided, well, now that they have shown weakness, I'm going to go in for the kill. I think at the end of the day, Trump is going to lose on this, and he's going to spend a lot of political capital and lose a lot of political capital.
Speaker 5: Dan, Yeah, he is losing court. I have a little doubt about that. The question is will he obey the court order.
Speaker 2: I don't think he has a choice because if he lose is a district court, Harvey, you know the system as well as I do. It's going to go eventually through the appellate If it does go through the appellate court up to the US Supreme Court, he may have one or two votes that would stay with him on this, but I think he'd lose seven to two eight.
Speaker 5: Two votes in the Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we see it. You and I and you and I know who they are, Thomas and Alito. I think he would lose seven to two his breast case scenario, and at that point that's going to be devastating. I have no idea who's advising him legally, Harvey.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure he's taking advice.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, if that is true, Uh, he's even worse. I mean, if he's using Stephen Miller as his legal advisor, he'd better ask to see Miller's law degree, which doesn't exist. Yeah, Harvey, thank you man. I got the news here and I didn't want to drag you through the news. Thanks, as always. I appreciate you. You're particularly situated, particularly well situated to talk about anything related to Harvard. I really do appreciate you taking the time tonight. Appreciate it. Thanks, buddy, Talk to you soon, all right. I'd love to hear from you if you're if you think the President is doing this effectively and it is in his political interest, I think he has basically taken on a fight he cannot win. And I don't understand why his lawyers don't have the backbone to say, mister President, with all due respect, you were not on legal ground here that is solid. You are going to lose if you continue to press this point, agree or disagree. I'd love to hear from you, whatever your point of view is. I got some lines and we will talk about this. If I have to make a speech about it, I'll make a speech about it until eleven o'clock six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. The Trump administration is the day's click off the calendar. He won the vote in the House on the Big Beautiful budget bill by one vote. That's there's not a lot of room there, folks.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And if you're if you're a Trump supporter and you think I'm dead wrong, bring it on. We can have a conversation. And if you if you're a Trump supporter and you agree with me, I'd love to hear from you. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on wz Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Next up, Ted in Medford, Ted next to the Nightside. Thanks for calling in. Go right ahead, sir, Hi.
Speaker 5: Dan, long time. We've talked quite often. Apparently Trump has never been to Harvard because that place, that's not an unsafe place for Jewish people. My daughter works there, she goes there for her master's degree. Yes, a lot of the students my daughter's age don't get the world and they do stupid things. I walked by Tufts every day, and last year with all the protests the Middle East and Israel and Palestine is very hard for the smartest people to figure out. I didn't vote for Trump, I didn't vote for Biden. I'm disappointed in Trump because I really think he had an opportunity, with his bully pulpit, to really make change. And I don't get it when you're the heavyweight champ.
Speaker 6: Of the world.
Speaker 5: You don't punch down and wait. Yeah, and he fights for the sake of fighting. And I don't know what lawyers he has, just like the Doze Union stuff. He's losing all those cases. He's losing a lot of credibility. I think this is about taking down higher education. And what I should have led with is I've never thought I would say these words in my life. That my thunder was stolen by Hobby Silvergate, who I've read for years and years, because a lot of what he said, I agree with him. He's obviously a much smarter man and I'll ever be and knows Harvard much better than.
Speaker 3: I ever will.
Speaker 5: But people need to understand too with international students, I deal with a lot of people from into here in my business. A they pay full freight to come here, yep, they pay, they had no help. And B these as people disappear, Like in the liquor inconvenience business. It's been getting killed since Trump has been office because a lot of these people aren't going out because some of them on here legally. They're afraid that I know somebody whose daughter had a violation on a kicket very well to do, wealthy Indian family that owns a lot of businesses in Boston. Because of that, her visa is in jeopardy. No, I don't understand the laws as to why. But this is all not it's just it's it's just a complete waste of time. The whole cut of thing bothers me. I am trying to hold out hope that at some point Saudi Arabia has to help us figure out Israel and Palestine and say y'all going here, y'all going here, we promise there'll be no Arab aggression. Maybe that's what he's trying to do.
Speaker 2: I think what he's trying to do, I think, and I'll disagree with my good friend Harvey silver Clay. I do know that from Trump's perspective, he sees the world from his perspective and what's in it for him. But I do think that he has an understanding, just a fundamental understanding of the importance of the name of the state of Israel and what it represents historically, you know, biblically, I mean all of that, all of that. It's a very special place. It has a history. I spent the day at Auschwitz in nineteen eighty six. Not that it changed my view. My dad had lectured us as kids World War II veteran never forget, never again. I mean it was it was imprinted on my mind. The smartest kids who I went to high school with were Jewish kids. And you know, it's yes, you know, I gotta tell you. I mean, it's it's it's true. But but the point is it's pretty clear who the good guys and the bad guys are in the Middle East, and and the israelis the good guys. They didn't stay.
Speaker 5: This generation is more to lunch than our generation was.
Speaker 2: Well, they didn't. It wasn't Israel that attacked Tamas on October seventh, and and Trump, if you go back to the first Trump presidency, the Arab Accords was an effort to basically get some of the kind of rational Arab states to come around and say, look, Israel exists and we're going to deal with it. And you have Yemeny Yemen, with their backing from Iran firing rockets into Saudi Arabia. I think that Saudi Arabia might come around even is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 5: Well, they're coming around in a lot of other ways too, because the world has changed and money makes the world go around.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely there's real money at stake.
Speaker 5: And you know, like I say, with my daughter all the time, as bright as she is, much smarter than me, better student, we did not push back when the older generation the way that this generation does even were aarguan something on Mother's Day and I was clearly right. She's like, yet, I don't want to occu on Mother's Day. And then she texted me the next day like twenty five PowerPoint slides. I go, sweetheart, I've lived a lot more life than you. I love it yet, it's the best thing.
Speaker 3: In my life.
Speaker 5: I'm beyond proud of you. You haven't lived enough life yet.
Speaker 2: I have a daughter too. I have a daughter too. Okay, yes, we'll just leave it.
Speaker 5: At that dead Yes, yes, sir, enjoy the show is always.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, thanks so much for calling. I've called more off and will you. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Let's keep going here with the conversation. We're having a fun tonight. Let me go to my friend Susan and Cambridge. Susan and I normally disagree, but there may be some some threat of agreement here, Go ahead, Susan.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there may be, but I just I got to chuckle out of that. Twenty five power points flies. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I assume you could probably pull one of those together pretty quickly too, Go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Did you happen to hear Representative Lynch's comments today?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they were on DZ, and I don't think i've ever heard him so exasperated. He used every four letter word that he's allowed to use, you know, in the media.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you this, Steve, I've always said that I felt Steve Lynch was the along with Seth Moulton. They are, and they are two solid members of the delegation. They would be my two favorite Democrats. May not be your two favorite Democrats. But today you're going to be quoting Steve Lynch, so go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Well, I was just going to point out that, you know, he's no, you know, far far lefty. Of course, I'm pretty sure he wasn't educated at Harvard.
Speaker 8: He's still oh absolutely no, I'm just saying that he's not, you know, he's not coming to you know, Harvard's sense because of that, you know, and what I liked is that he spoke to to be honest, like, you know, I don't really care about.
Speaker 7: What political capital Trump is expending on this, Like I'm not I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in what Lynch was saying, which is the stuff that he is destroying right now, like in terms of the sciences and people coming here and doing research and and pulling funding in the midst of clinical trials. I mean, that's just economically stupid. That's just a waste.
Speaker 2: That was what Lynch said today. And I understand that, and I agree with that. I have a different view a little bit, so I give you a chance to take a shot at me. I want Donald Trump to succeed, Okay, I want Donald Trump to be a good president. I want the federal debt to be brought down. I want the border secure, I want the United States to have a better standing in the world. And I think that the craziness of talking about invading Greenland or taking over Greenland, or taking over part of Canada basically expends political capital. I would have liked to have seen whoever the president has succeeded, what Democrat or Republican, And I just I hope you feel that way, not that you support his policies, but when any president is undercutting their own policies, and I can't think of any president who has undercut their policies more in both terms than Donald Trump. All it means is we will have a president who will be an ineffective president, which hurts all of us, right, I.
Speaker 7: Mean past his prologue. We saw that to a certain extent in his first and this time. You know, as many have said, the guardrails are off. He's got, you know, all the sycophants he wants around him, nobody to you know, take him aside, you know, and I mean supposedly. The reporting is that within within the White House, Stephen Miller and a group of a's are like intent on taking down Harvard, like destroying it. Basically, I don't understand not going to happen. I don't think that's going to happen. But I don't understand how they think that that serves America.
Speaker 4: I don't even know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't need yeah and an agreement.
Speaker 2: But by the way, I do think that many of the appointments of Trump in his cabinet in the second term. I think Marco Rubio is a good Secretary of State appointment. Okay. I think that, uh, the Transportation Secretary, Sean Duffy is going to do a much better job than Pete Boudhajet. I think that our transportation system, particularly our airline system, will be in much better shape when Duffy ends his four years as Transportation Secretary than it was when Budajet Butajet was asleep at the switch. You cannot convince me of that, Susan. Okay, So are there are some appointments that he's made that are good appointments. Stephen Miller is not a good person to have in your in either your kitchen cabinet or in your close close circle.
Speaker 7: We agree on that, Yes, I would push back a bit on the Buddha sucks because they did. He did go to Congress asking for more funding for the FAA and was turned down flat.
Speaker 2: Didn't he have a Didn't he have a democratic Congress?
Speaker 1: He didn't?
Speaker 2: He he did initially, but sure he had a democratic He had a democratic Congress in twenty twenty one when Joe Biden went into office, and our the planes that you fly on and the planes that I fly on and that your family flies on, we're not as safe as they should be. And I don't care whether it's a Democrat or.
Speaker 7: Republic focus on the initially was on the effects of the pandemic on the you know, the airspace and transportation industry. And so once he got past that, many times.
Speaker 2: You make an excuses, Susan, I'm telling.
Speaker 5: You what happened.
Speaker 4: I know what about Congress.
Speaker 7: They did go, you can look at look at the record.
Speaker 6: He did go.
Speaker 2: Then he did a fabulous job. And he then let's let's agree that Pete Buddha Chet was the greatest transportation secretary in our history, and that all the problems with the planes right now are our Duffy's problems because he's been in office now about one hundred days.
Speaker 7: Come on, So I didn't say that.
Speaker 4: I didn't know, but you're not saying it.
Speaker 2: But you're okay, all right, Hey, look I got I don't want to fight with you. This is the night I wanted to to have some some areas of a agreement with you. So sorry, if I took the conversation off in a different direction, I got to run because they got two more I gotta get to We'll talk again, and next time we'll fight like cats and dogs. Okay, thanks, all right, all right, coming back on night Side right after.
Speaker 1: This night with Dan Ray on w BZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: I love Susan. She's a friend of mine, even though we disagree in a lot of things, but today we have some agreement. Hey, let me go to my pal Dallas in Ohio. Dallas, Welcome, How are you?
Speaker 3: Yes? How you doing?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 3: Hello to you and hello Boston and WBZ. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I I really think that President Trump should back down on Harvard. I don't understand, you know, what the anks is, you know, was he.
Speaker 3: Does. He has some kind of been vindictive attitude towards Harvard that you know.
Speaker 2: It's like if you if you're the toughest guy in this in the town Dallas, and you can beat anyone up on a one on one fight, you don't go into a bar inside of fight with five people simultaneously because you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Get your No, you don't, but.
Speaker 2: That's right, you know.
Speaker 3: He I don't know, you know, it's like, okay, you got Harvard, you know, and then he's back and forth with the tariff, you know, and then for a while, you know, he wants to get Canada and Greenland, and I mean, you know, you know, if you know, I'm gonna put it this way. He's not careful. The enemy is going to sneak in the back door, and you know that's gonna end up being a disaster for the United States. I think there's too much distraction, too much going on. He needs to really focus on. Uh you know, Uh, he's got.
Speaker 2: He's got everything going for him. You know, he won an election. People were supporting. He was getting a second chance. Americans love a comeback story. They love a second a guy that comes back. You know, some quarterback who gets hurt and they think his career is over, and next he's winning into the super Bowl. Uh. They America loves that. They love that. Yeah, and he's just he's he's gonna blow it if he doesn't watch himself. Dallas, I gotta get one more in body. How's everything an Akron? Okay?
Speaker 3: Hey, just fine, just fine. I just wish it would stop raining.
Speaker 2: Well, we got rain up here too. Happy Memorial Day. Everybody talks. Soon have a great one. I'm gonna get Peter in New York in here, Peter, You're gonna you're gonna wrap it up. You're you're called late. I've got a break for the eleven o'clock news. You got the you got the microphone, go ahead.
Speaker 6: You know I can't stand Trump. I think he's a as Rex Tillison said, and Effie moron, and I know what he's doing. He has those scruples, as Harvey said. And I know him from the time of him, from the time he's a kid. His trainer, his personal trainer was Roy Cohen. Is anybody worse than Roy Cohen.
Speaker 2: Roy Cone, not Roy Cohen, Roy Cone, Roy Cohen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, right, the guy from the McCarthy here is and everything he does is a test. Look, he's still jerking around with the tariffs. He has no idea what he's doing. As somebody I heard talk say, he's a bomb thrower. He throws the bomb in and then takes on the fight.
Speaker 3: He loves it.
Speaker 9: He has no scroup, as Harvey said, he has no scruples.
Speaker 2: All right, you got the final word of the hour, Peter, thanks so much. You got to call earlier.
Speaker 9: I love your calls, but I believe people have to read by Roy Cohne.
Speaker 3: They're too young.
Speaker 2: Well, no people can read. They if they can read up on George Washington. You know it's like people, they're not they're not too young to read history, you know as well as I do. Thanks Pete, Thank you, Peter.
Speaker 3: Thanks good great talks.
Speaker 2: Talk to you soon. Goodnight. Okay, Uh, Jack and Newton, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you want to hold on for the twentieth hour, you can, but we got to go to the twentieth hour. I'm gonna give you three options. Remember somebody of Memorial Day. You could salute a vet uh in that regard, uh, your first concert or your biggest regret.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a multiple choice twentieth hour. We'll be back on Night's side.