Speaker 1: Some health insurance providers in Ireland waste your time leaving you waiting to be seen by a doctor at Level Health. We're fed up with all the waiting around. It's about time you had twenty four to seven instant access to doctors. Level Health. It's about time twenty four to seven instant access to doctors included on plans a TOE insurance provided by Aviva Insurance Ireland. Dark Level Health Ireland Limited, trading as Level Health, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Speaker 2: The legal team for Luigi Mangioni is standing up for themselves and not for their client. Apparently they were in negotiations for a plea deal for this guy. I'm sorry, this is an opener shoutcase. It's caught on tape the murder. He put the names of the people he wanted to kill and his issues literally on the shell casings. This is the Judge Weiberg. This is the legal definition of premeditated murder. You cannot claim insanity when you have that kind of pre planning and that kind of execution, no pun intended. And his legal team is now not going to try to save his life because you know why, they want the exposure as Fernando told us off the air, they want the toda. I say that because the legal team is doing this. I think that they're trying to they would like the legal team wants to get exposure and more money and names for themselves and would rather use him as a sacrificial land.
Speaker 3: That's I'm nottand.
Speaker 4: I understand we just woke up, Professor. He did, and he's on the air.
Speaker 2: Okay, Professor Dershowitz, I feel free to weigh in on this. We brought you in to talk about the Supreme Court decisions yesterday. But I'm not loving this defense team of Luigi Mangioni. I don't think they're acting in his best injurest interest.
Speaker 5: I don't know how you would act in his best interest at this point. There's nothing you can do except try to get a reduced sentence. Uh.
Speaker 6: And he has nobody to turn in.
Speaker 5: You know, when I told Criminal of the Years, I would start by saying to my students, if you ever want to commit a crime, the first rule is commit it with somebody more important than you, so you can turn them man, and they can't turn them. And you know he didn't do it, and they got him on tape. They have him with a gun pointed to the guy to have the names. The poor defense lawyers, they have nothing to do at this point. My feeling is that they wanted to put in this defense emotional whatever and the clients that know so. I'm not agreeing with your guests that these lawyers are acting in their own health rather than the client.
Speaker 3: It's Richard Warberg. I absolutely agree. That's why I asked the question. I think that he wants political I think Man Jong wants political theater. He's trying to make a public forum out of this for his views. That's my type, and the lawyers were trying to cut an ideals.
Speaker 5: I understand that he has nothing else in his favor. He has a lot of people supporting him, and I think his feeling is if he goes to trial and he.
Speaker 6: Gets a lot of supportive trial, who knows, maybe something good we'll go.
Speaker 5: Down the line, Maybe his time in prison will be easier. But I do think that it was he who made the decision. I'm not sure that that a trial benefits him rather than a plea that makes the case.
Speaker 3: If he has a mental incompetency plea, then what he's doing is undermining his political agenda, his ideological attack. That's why he wants the political theater.
Speaker 5: I agree with that. I think even having submitted a letter saying he was going to plead emotional instability probably undercut his political and he may have seen the reaction to it, But in any event, he's I think, has seen this case from the beginning his political theater. Tragically, it took the human life of a father of children, and it sent a terrible, terrible message in society. You know, it's a message that we're hearing in so many different contexts. Murderers are being praised, whether they're murderers from Hamas or has Ballah or Iran, or whether they're individual murderers. Today, they are crazy. We see people out there who support murder and who don't support innocent people and decency. I think we saw it in the election in New York.
Speaker 6: I think we're seeing it in the Manngie one case. I think we're seeing it in.
Speaker 5: A lot of different contexts, and it's changing our society for the worst.
Speaker 6: I think these are all symptoms.
Speaker 5: Of a terrible change in our society toward moving in toward accepting violence as acceptable. We have members of people being nominated now to Congress who believe that Hamas was correct in killing twelve hundred people and capturing two hundred and fifty people, and they're.
Speaker 6: Being elected to Congress. We have people being elected to Congress to the Senate who wear a death tattoo for years and years. I mean, something is sick about our society and we have to move that in the right direction or we're going to.
Speaker 5: Be in real trouble. It goes way beyond Mangione, and it goes way beyond Tuesday's election.
Speaker 3: Alan. This is a case coming up for decision in the next few days the Supreme Court. It's a transender case. It's the West Virginia case about the ban of having men being in women's sports. What are your thoughts about that case and how's that going to turn out.
Speaker 5: I think the Trump administration will probably win that case and probably lose the case involving birthright citizenship. So I think we're going to see a split in the last few days of the court. This has been a very very significant court term with a lot of important decisions, most of them favoring Trump, but not all of them favoring Trump. And we're going to see a movement toward packing the court if the Democrats seek get control of the House, And what about the try to pack the court.
Speaker 6: And they'll fail, but they'll try.
Speaker 3: I agree with that too. What about this case involving presidential power to remove people from agencies? What do you think that's going to do?
Speaker 5: I think the President will prevail on that one as well. And speaking of removing people, there's.
Speaker 6: Also that's interesting. I hope test case that's going to go on is this federal judge who was having sex in her chambers alas that her law courts hurt it, and there's a movement to impeach her. And I think it presents a very interesting test case because a lot of people think that in order to impeach a federal judge, you have to prove that they committed crimes like treason, bribery, or have the crimes and misdemeanors. As I argued and the Senate in favor of President Trump, I don't think that's the criteria for judges.
Speaker 5: Judges are appointed for life and then it says during good behavior. So I think if you can demonstrate lack of good behavior and having sex in your chambers and screaming loud and then lying about it sounds to me like it satisfies the criteria of not good behavior. So I think they should try to impeach this judge and test the criteria for what it takes to impeach a judge, because I think it's different criteria than what it takes to impeach the president. After all, the p I think it's selected every four years, you know, like the president throws the bomb out, but the judge is there for life, and if they engage in bad behavior, they shouldn't continue to be able to be on the bench.
Speaker 2: And I believe it was with another officer of the court. I mean, this wasn't just like some pol Yeah yeahl So that's also a conflict of a bunch of employment stuff on and on down the line. Let's talk about these decisions that did come down yesterday, including the one that says that while you're applying for asylum, the court said that we can continue or we can at least keep these folks on the other side of the US border. That seems like common sense to me. We have so many people running around with pending asylum cases and we lose track of it. Were you surprised by the decision or was there anything in there that didn't that didn't make sense to you. And then one more thing, the continuing hissy fit within the court between some of the judges. We had, so to Mayor reading off her decision, her dissenting a decision in this Hawaii gun case, and Justice Alito visually making all kinds of facial expressions showing his exasperation.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I know, Justine Luido, I like him very much. He's an expressive guy. You know, I grew up with a lot.
Speaker 5: Of Italian Americans.
Speaker 6: They don't pull their feelings back.
Speaker 5: And when you put them on the bench and you get a judge who is not supposed to have read her full opinion didn't give any notice of it, I can see why he got a little annoyed. On the issue of keeping people seeking asylum outside. I have a split view in that I think legally it's correct. Constitutionally it's correct. The president has the power to do that. I wish she.
Speaker 6: Didn't, because you know, I'm still.
Speaker 5: Somebody who thinks very hard about the nine hundred Jews on the boat Saint Louis who were trying to come into the United States to escape the the s chambers and President Roosevelt kept them out and they all went back to Germany and half of them died in death camps.
Speaker 6: So you know, when you have.
Speaker 5: A really, really strong case for asylum, that you're going to die if you're not allowed in the country. My feeling on the merits is that I wish they would let them in the country. Constitutionally, I think the court was absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Are they though, really? I mean, are what percentage would you say of asylum seekers in the United States are facing a situation? I mean, granted that was a very unique situation during the Holocaust, but how many what percentage of current asylum seekers are really facing that kind of human power?
Speaker 5: Well, if I were a president, what I would do is I would have a two step process.
Speaker 6: If you can demonstrate that your.
Speaker 5: Life really is at stake, if you're not allowed in the country, I'll let you in. But if you're just seeking asylum for reasons of helping your family and delay and change wouldn't make any real difference. So I would have a two step process and allow an asylum seeker to make the case that his life is really at stake. But you know that's up to the legislature. They can do that, and it's up to the president. It's not up to the courts to As Justice Ginsburg said when she was on the court, the Supreme Court is I have a roving commission to do good or to do justice. They must comply with Article you know three of the Constitutions. Basically that says you need to have a case in controversy. And the court has narrow limited jurisdiction. They're not there to just do good things. So to my ear, I think has a different conception of the court.
Speaker 6: And I understand her conception, but it's not what the Constitution said out I.
Speaker 7: Think, professor, this is Fernando Matteo. How are you today?
Speaker 5: Great? And you I'm doing great.
Speaker 7: Always a pleasure to speak to you. Enlightened and you bring such an incredible energy to the show every time you're on. My question to you is what's going to happen with countries like the Dominican Republic when all the Haitians get deported there and then they try to cross the border over to the Dominican Republic. You know, these are countries that are these are islands that are struggling, although the economy and Dominican Republic is very good. But you know they're fighting the invasion of the Haitians coming in. And believe me, I think every Dominican has some Haitian in them. Okay, because we're in Ireland, things happen, right, and.
Speaker 5: Great things, great things, great people have come from both those islands. Yes, I mean, think about baseball today, with that the Dominican Republican it would be a much American sport. In fact, you may have heard recently a group of black leaders complained that there were too many Central Americans in baseball and not enough genuine blacks. I mean, this is what happens when you have DEI diversity. I always think what would have happened to the New York Knicks if they were subject to THEI. They'd had to have two Irish players, three Italian players, a Jewish player.
Speaker 6: They'd have finished last. You know, you do it on meritocracy, you do it on the merits, and on the merits.
Speaker 5: The Knicks had a you know, dominantly black team better as all basketball players do, and they did great.
Speaker 4: Some breaking news from ABC I guess television News voting machine company drops one billion dollar defamation suit against Mike Linda.
Speaker 5: Any good, but they bankrupt the guy. And also these you need malice to bring a suit. And and Mike, whatever you might say about him, is a believer.
Speaker 6: He honestly believes it.
Speaker 5: And I think he you know, I don't think the court could satisfy the criteria of malice. So I'm glad they dropped it.
Speaker 6: Let Mike continue to sell his pillows. And you know, you can agree with him, you can disagree with him.
Speaker 5: I've represented him briefly in some matters in Arizona, and he's a true, true believer, and.
Speaker 6: You know, that's what makes this country go around.
Speaker 5: Speaking of which, one point I want to make. It's going to be July fourth soon, and I have a July fourth book coming out of quote Founding Fathers and One Jewish Mother, and it's a coffee table book with beautiful pictures of the original documents of the American Revolution and Israel. And it shows the incredible comparison between the founders of America, you know, Washington, Madison, Hamilton, and the founders of Israel, Hurtzel, Bengurian golda Mayir. So I think if you need a gift for somebody for July fourth.
Speaker 2: You can get it on Amazon and the title is Founding father What is it again? The titles everyone knows.
Speaker 5: Founding Fathers and One Jewish mother Goldimeyer being the Jewish mother.
Speaker 2: Who came to Israel from the Ukraine by way of Milwaukee and Milwaukee, resident.
Speaker 5: Of Milwaukee, and she served me tea in her house in nineteen seventy after I smuggled her a carton of Lucky Strike cigarette.
Speaker 6: I didn't know that they killed.
Speaker 5: But Arthur Goldberg, for whom I work, was a close friend of hers when she lived in Milwaukee and he lived in Chicago. And when I went to Israel to do an interview, he asked me if I would smuggle a carton of Lucky Strikes. I put it in my socks.
Speaker 6: I evaded Israeli security.
Speaker 5: And I probably contributed to her earlier.
Speaker 7: So you're a smuggler. You're a smuggler.
Speaker 2: But in his defense, Oh, this is a great I get to defend. I get to defend the great defender, Alan Derschwitz, and you're in your defense. Professor Golden Meyer was an incredibly persuasive person. Just ask Henry Kissinger, Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy and the great beyond. She twisted all their arms very very effectively, Professor j question about that.
Speaker 5: And she was a great, great American, a great Jew, a great Israeli, and a great human being.
Speaker 2: Yes and uh at one time the sweetheart of the issue. But that's another story. Alan Dersmith, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 8: Thank you thanks for listening to Sit in Friends in the Morning. You can hear Sit and Friends in the Morning weekday mornings at six. If you like the podcast, share it with your friends and listen anytime at wabcradio dot com and download the WABC Radio app. Hit that subscribe button on all major podcasts. Plus follow WABC on social on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and X see you next time for a new episode, so you never have to wonder
Speaker 5: What the heck is going on here,