Speaker 1: It's with Dan ray On Dell Boston.
Speaker 2: All right. Our second topic tonight is from California. But what happens in California eventually happens in Massachusetts. And sometimes what happens in California happens very quickly in Massachusetts. So for those of you who are interested Amsterdam, Amsterdam, you know that's in the Netherlands. Amsterdam style cannabis cafes have just become legal in California. This is a press release today September thirtieth, twenty twenty four, the governor, Governor Newsom. Governor Gavin Newsom has signed a bill in California that allows local California governments to license Amsterdam style cannabis cafes. Now, I've been to Amsterdam, but I've never been in a cannabis cafe. I'm sure some of you may have been. And I don't know what is meant by a cannabis cafe, but I think what they mean is a place we can go and you can smoke smoke pot. Okay, Now, we have bars at Massachusetts. Okay, we got plenty of bars at Massachusetts. I'm sure some of you yesterday might have been watching the Patriots lose to the forty nine ers at one of your local watering holes, and you go there to this year commiserate. Other years celebrate, but you got commiserate about what's going on with the Patriots. All right. Do you remember in Massachusetts several years ago when we legalized or decriminalized medical marijuana. We said, well, you know, there's a lot of people who suffer from various and sundry causes medical problems, and many people suffer from anxiety, PTSD, whatever, and they find relief with marijuana. And so the legislature in Massachusetts said, well, that's a reasonable idea. Will give them the right to get medical marijuana. Have to have a prescription, okay from a doctor, and you can't smoke it on the streets. You got to be able to go home and smoke it at home. And that's all they wanted. That's all what the medical marijuana people wanted. No problem. Then a couple of years passed and they said, well, you know, why is it that only people who are suffering from anxiety. We all have anxiety or suffering from some form of PTSD. We all have been through things in our lives, and if it's good for some people. It's good for everyone. So then we decriminalized and in effect legalized marijuana. Now in Massachusetts, you got to you should buy your marijuana through a marijua on a store, okay, because that way the state gets a piece of the action. In addition, what the state says to you is, well, we make sure that the marijuana isn't bad stuff, meaning it's somewhat controlled. Of course, there's also we found out last week from our friends up at Maine Wire in the state of Maine, there's about two hundred and seventy illegal plotforms being run up there by people who are associated or affiliated or have funding from the Chinese Communist Party the government of China. That's the Chinese Communist Party. We have the Democratic Party and the Republican Party. The Chinese only has one party, it's called the Communist Party. So now in Massachusetts, hey, hey, you could buy marijuana. As long as you're not walking down the street with it, you're okay. You just bring it home and you smoke it whatever you need. Your friends come over, you have a great time. No anxieties whatsoever, no PTSD. Well, what's next? What's next is what I'm holding in my hand and that's the press release from California. They're going to have Amsterdam Amsterdam style cannabis cafes now, According to this press release, in the Netherlands, Amsterdam's cannabis cafes thrive as part of the city's unique social structure and capitalizes on the social nature of cannabis through coffee, food, and live music, all opportunities that are currently illegal. Under California law AB seventeen seventy five will allow cannabis retailers to diversify their businesses and move away from the struggling and limited dispensary model by selling non cabinist, non cannabis infused foods, whatever the hell that means. So the state assemblymen, who now is the hero to the marijuana community in California, said, lots of people want to enjoy legal care cannabis in the company of others. I remember you could have your friends over and took up at home, but nope, and many people want to do that while sipping coffee, eating a sandwiche, or listening to music, all of which you could do at your home. You can make coffee at home, you can eat a sandwich at home, you can listen to music at home with your friends that is now finally legal in California, and there's no doubt that cannabis cafes will bring massive economic, cultural, and creative opportunities and benefits to our state. California is once again leading the way and supporting legal, safe cannabis businesses and culture. Good for them. A previous version of the bill AB three seventy four was veto last year by Governor Newsom, who urged in his veto message to reintroduce the bill to include more protections for cannabis workers. I have no idea what that means. Let's see this year. I guess he's considered that people who work in cannabis cafes might get you know, contact high or something. This this Assembly member introduced the bill with the support of the United Commercial and Food Workers to ensure cannabis lounge workers are protected from secondhand smoke impacts at work. Exactly what I thought. The bill levels the plague field for the highly taxed and regulated legal cannabis industry that's being forced to compete in California with a thriving cannabis black market. So even though they legalized it in California, thank god, there's a thriving cannabis black market going on. Remember they told us, well, there'll be no more black market on't you make itllegal? Right? Oh? I guess not. The illegal sale of cannabis is extremely profitable in California, with illegal sellers choosing to simply ignore costly red regulations, product testing, permitting, in taxation. California's legal cannabis sales reached four billion in twenty twenty, while oh, the illegal sales reached four billion in twenty twenty. Well, illegal sales are believed to have sevested eight billion that same year. So even though they made it legal twice more is illegal. Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness. Right now, our small cannabis businesses are struggling to compete against illegal drug sellers that don't follow the law of paid taxes. In order to ensure the legal cannabis market can survive and thrive in California, that's the top priority. We have to allow them to adapt, innovate, and offer products and experiences that customers want. And who knows, maybe a little LSD will throw in there. I don't know. That's my comment. Cannabis cafes are going to be a huge part of the future of cannabis in our state and help to beat back the illegal drug market. Thank god, assemble Manhany. You were beating back the illegal drug market by making it legal, but you're losing the battle. Unbelievable. The bill goes into effect on January first, and with the approval from local governments, Californian should be able to enjoy cannabis cafes as early as the new year. Wow. Wow, California should be excited for the jobs, culture, and tourism that cannabis cafes are going to bring to our state. Oh yeah, oh yeah. All right, So here's my question. How soon is it since since California on January first, twenty twenty five, we'll have cannabis cafes legal. Everything's fine, okay, how long before it's in Massachusetts? Six months, a year, sixteen months, two years? I bet it's going to be a lot quicker than we realize. The thing that's great about cannabis cafes, and I say this with my tongue planted squarely in cheek, is one of the things. Of Course, everyone's going to have a can cafe on their corner, so there'd be no one who'll be driving anywhere to a cannabis cafe. Right. Wrong. There'll be a lot of people driving who will have smoked before they go and come when they come back, and there's no way to detect for marijuana. They haven't. They know how to protect, how to detect for alcohol, but nothing for marijuana. Nothing for marijuana. Man, Is is this a good thing for the country. I don't think it is. But I guess I'm old fashioned. I'd love to know what you think. I mean, give me a break. You said you want it for medical purposes, great, you got it. You want it for use to use it in your home, in the privacy of your home, you got it. You want it to be sold legally and be used in the privacy, you got it. But No, in California, they kept pushing. They kept pushing, and they're gonna keep pushing, and they're gonna start pushing in Massachusetts. Want to open up the phone line six one seven for ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. If you think that cannabis cafes are going to be good for Massachusetts, give me a call. Give me a call, because if you do, I have a bridge in Brooklyn. I'd like to be able to sell you a share in what is going on. I mean, it's coming here. Trust me on that. At this point it's too late to stop it. And if you're a big proponent of it, fine, explain to me why I'm wrong. Okay. All it is doing is introducing another legal intoxicant out there for people to imbibe in it. We don't have enough drunks in the road. We don't have enough people who are high on the road. We need more people on the road who are high, who are drunk, or who are illegal. That's what it is in Massachusetts. But if you allow your automobile registration to go more than like a week, they'll pull you over and write a ticket for you because they want you what is wrong with this state right now? Uh? And I'm telling you it's coming here. And if you don't believe me, and you want to tell me it's not, I'd love to hear from you. We're going to take a break. Ladies want you to join in as well. So far, all the calls tonight have been men feel free six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty got some more wide open lines. Are you looking forward to token up at your local or maybe a cannabis cafe in downtown Boston or whatever. You know, you're going to be driving stoned to the cafe and probably driving homestone to the cafe, and you'll be able to be out there with the drunk drivers as well. What a what a concept. Oh, here we go, bring it, bring it on, coming back after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll be interesting to see what people think about this possibility. I'm going to Mic and really Mike your first this hour on night side cannabis cafes. They're probably coming to Massachuonia. Good Mike, what do you think.
Speaker 3: They're out to lunch?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 3: Listen, Dan, I just saw them at seventeen years clean two weeks ago. Okay, it is the worst thing to happen. But unfortunately the Democratic state like California, all they want is tax dollars, that's all.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you, if you don't think we're going to have them here, Oh you.
Speaker 3: Have them here? Yeah, but it's not to lunch. It's crazy, it's nuts. Yeah, they don't think that way. They just want the tax money, Dan, that's all they want.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just saying that is that what happens in California eventually happens here. And I just think that that everything in this country with in my opinion, is the best, the most influential, the most powerful country in the world, and we're giving it away. People in this country want us to be like the Netherlands. Okay, be like the Netherlands. See what happens, you know, it's it's absolutely crazy, I guarantee you.
Speaker 3: And we're happening. There's something some Paul by some doctors or like some other knuckleheads, but they won't act act people in recovery or is this community. That's so the situation and that's what happened, and they'll just be do I just don't. And then and we're having is that the police guys, if you get stopped, they can't test for it, and so you get accident or something happens. You know, it's just I scratched my head at it. It's just not well.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm just trying to do a little Paul Revere thing and and blow and and you know basically basically, uh, soundly alarmed it's not the British are coming anymore. It's if the cannabis cafes are coming. Because if they've got to California, I guarantee you they'll be they'll be bills filed in the legislature for the upcoming session, and in Massachusetts they could easily pass. And I don't know. I don't know that the governor would veto a piece of legislation that got to her desk like that by a quick thing.
Speaker 3: If we are coming out there, I think. And the cannabis saying mass is why they says they have a shertam punt of money going to recovery community or something like that, and that's has been used, yeah, something like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I know that they said they said that they had money coming for that, but I don't know if it's been used yet. Mike. Maybe someone out there can set us straight on that. Thanks man, I appreciate you called hang on here, thank you much. I'm we go to Andrew, who is calling from Connecticut. Hey, Andrew, welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 4: How are you, hey, dan Oria good If I had.
Speaker 2: You before, Andrew, I don't get a lot of calls from Connecticut.
Speaker 4: Uh have former mass reverent.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, that's that's what. So what do you think are you considered what happens in California spreads across the country. I think we found out, we've found that out in many respects.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bad ideas. It's uh, it's it's just another as the former caller, so that it is a revenue stream. And I heard your point earlier. You know people can gather in their homes and do it privately.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: Those people that gather in their homes there, they're going to have to drive to their homes, so they're going to be out on the roads.
Speaker 6: Anyways.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're if you're looking for a revenue stream and it does, it is going to help in some way, uh, generate funds that will you know, help screwce up the economy. You know, I think, uh, I think it's going to happen. And you know, prostitution is legal in Nevada. It's not legal in Massachusetts yet, it's been legal for a long time in Nevada. If people don't want these establishments in their neighborhoods, you know, Nimby, not in my backyard, it will be a well should be active and say, hey, you know, this is a great idea, but I don't want in my neighborhood. And I think people will have to fight locally to say that's not something I want in my neighborhood. But you know, maybe maybe the next town over it can have it. I know, with the dispensaries in the past couple of the past couple of years, it was a big boom. You know, they wanted to get into these towns and they paid, they paid handsomely the towns to build these establishments, and there was a huge rage and huge lines and it was a big to do. And now you don't hear anything about it. People are just going about their daily business doing doing what they need to do. And if it's still it's still a revenue stream for those communities.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what it comes down to, as long as why don't we make we should make prostitution legal, then as well, what about heroin cafes?
Speaker 4: It's legal in Nevada.
Speaker 2: No, I know that. No, you said that. That's why I asked you. That's gonna that would be a revenue stream. What about you know, cocaine cafes? That okay? I mean, where do you draw the line or do you draw no lines?
Speaker 4: Well, well, I mean, you know, I said, you know, you said you're old fashioned. I mean, I guess if you don't want to partake in that, I guess you don't have to go right, No.
Speaker 2: And if you don't want to partake in prostitution, you don't have to do it either.
Speaker 4: Right, that's correct, right, absolutely, I agree with that. If we want to hold a moral character, I guess it's hire opportunity to hold that moral character.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, it sounds to me like and you're saying, all bets are off, lets whatever, whatever will. Sounds to me like the standard by which you're doing this, which is right. By the way, I'm not opposed to it. I'm not opposed to what you're saying. I like to hear what you say. You're saying. If it's going to generate some money for the commonwealth of the cities and towns, let's do it.
Speaker 6: That's good, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's great, And you'll fundamentally change the character not only of the state of California, the state of Massachusetts, but eventually the whole country.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 6: And the as the state of.
Speaker 4: The Netherlands changed or I do see positive positive information coming out from there as far as being a number one place to live. People are happier, the economies. The economy is flourishing there. So I mean, let's do some research on these Netherlands communities that you know that this is active in and see.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure and I'm sure if there were evers, if there ever was a war with Russia, the Netherlands army would be We'll be right in the front lines. Right. They don't even they don't even pay their money to thanks thing exactly. Yeah, the military will be in the cafe. And what are you talking about? Russian tanks? Is are all what you're talking about? Uh? You know anyway, look, Andrew, I appreciate you calling. I really mean that you disagree with me, but I love your call. Uh. And that's what this show is all about, different points of view.
Speaker 4: Thank you you too, have a good one.
Speaker 2: But take a break. Here's the news coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well let's keep rolling here. See what people have to say about cannabis cafes here in New England. I think that they're coming because once they say okay in California, brace yourself, New England, maybe you think it's a good thing. I think Andrew thinks was pretty much a good thing. Mike disagreed. Let's go to Paul and Newton. Paul, you're next on Nightside. Thanks for calling in you tonight.
Speaker 5: I good, even good, Thank you. I just wanted to say, I think it's a very bad idea and that shows where we're going as a country. We're going downhill that any governor would go and allow these types of fays. Did you see there's multiple stories that broke today that the Vice President Kamala Harris, she is endorsing that we're proposing legalizing marijuana nationally. Did you see any of these stories?
Speaker 2: I didn't, but I can double check it. And did you see them on a Did you see that story on a w'd you see the legitimate news sources it? You know? Oh?
Speaker 5: I think the Hill did a story and there's that there's quite a few of them out there that broke that broke today within the last twelve hours. I think the Hill has a story. I saw it on there and some other sites. But if you google Vice President Harris legalized part. You'll see these stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to just jump in on it. Now Here it says she shifts on legalizing weedi. This is out of the Sacramento b which is a legitimate, a very legitimate sacramental newspapers like the Boston Globe on Unsacramento, which of course is the state capitol. Six hours ago, Kamala Harris said she's long supported legalizing weed, long supported legalizing weed. What her California record shows. In a recent turn of events in the presidential race, forman president Donald Trump faced criticism at a long Okay, so that's a different story. Harris set an interview for the All the Smoke podcasts released on Monday. She's long supported marijuana legalization. As a federal legislator, she's worked a decriminalize weed, but as a District attorney of San Francisco in California attorney general, the Democratic nominee stance was less clear. I just feel strongly people should not be going to jail for smoking weed. And we know hysterically what this has meant and who's gone to jail. She put a lot of those folks in jail smoking weed. When she was a prosecutor. She spent a forty seven minute episode. She won't do news conferences and she won't talk to the national media, but she an episode of All the Smoke, a podcast hosted by former NBA and Golden State Warrior players Matt Barnes and Steven Jackson. Second, I just think we have to come to a point where we understand that we need to legalize it and stop criminalizing this behavior. Actually, this is not a new position for me. I felt for a long time we need to legalize it. So that's where I am on that. So, yeah, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 5: It's a class de controlled substance that is mind altering. It's no good.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna argue the medical of it. I'm saying the interview released on Monday. I'm just confirming here what you're telling us is the first time Harris has publicly affirmed for a position on weed since officially becoming the Democratic presidential nominee. She hasn't talked to anybody else.
Speaker 5: We're going to the dogs.
Speaker 2: I think I think we're going to envy the dogs when this is eventually over. That's true, and Paul loved the call. Thank you, and up to the gate information from Paul to keep me on top of things. Will ya, I hadn't seen that. Thanks, have a rege. Good night. Let me go to Lola in in San Diego. Hi, Lola, welcome back. You're going to be able to smoke cannabis in a cannabis cafe pretty soon in San Diego.
Speaker 7: Then closed down all the bars. Sorry, but you know what, It's equal to alcohol, and alcohol has been more deadly longer than marijuana.
Speaker 2: How about how about some cocaine cafes.
Speaker 7: Well, now you're jabbling into a different type of drug. You're gabbling into a different type of drug. But let's keep going back to the good old alcohol. Now, the latest NFL games, people that have all beaten each other up, all drinking, and who promotes that the NFL because you Bess b is be is everywhere.
Speaker 2: Well that's so what I'm trying to say is this.
Speaker 7: Okay, I know most I understand.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, okay, I'm just saying something really simple. Okay, alcohol has been legal in this country since the repeal was reversed. Okay, I think it's the eighteenth Amendment of what you know. I'll grab my copy of the Constitution because those amendments get to be a little confusing every once in a while. And I don't want to misquote misquote the amendment, but for a while, alcohol was was illegal in this country.
Speaker 7: It was legal, and there was a there was a big bootlegger named H. Kennedy in Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know whatever he was.
Speaker 7: He was making tons of money on bootlegg and booze.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I understand that. I understand that that's, you know whatever. So prohibition was from nineteen nineteen and then the repeal was the twenty first Amendment in nineteen thirty three. Okay, so they they tried to outlawer. It didn't work. Now, marijuana, which in this country, I think at a federal level, is still a classified as a as an illegal substance. I mean, many banks in this country refused to lend money to pot shops because they're concerned about federal rules and regulations exactly we're going to go to cannabis cafes. When they first started, Lola, let me get your response to this. When they first started, they said medical marijuana, people need it because they're suffering from all sorts of problems. So everybody said, okay, that's with a prescription. Then they said, wait a second, wait a second, we need to decriminalize it. And then they said, let's have let's allow people to smoke in their home, so you can buy in Massachusetts. You take it home and you're smoking with your friends. You'll listen to music, watch football, whatever you want to do. So now they see that's not Well, what it comes down to is where does this stop? Because if they were honest initially, if they were honest initially and said, look, we want to make it legal so that people can drive, I mean, you know, I mean, maybe we should make it legal so that it's so good that that there should be no prohibition on driving, you know, with with marijuana, what do you think about that?
Speaker 7: I think it should be okay, it just as it should be just as okay as drinking and driving. Oh we're going to go out to dinner and we're just going to have a glass of wine. Well you're still drinking outside of your home with your friends. You're out at a restaurant.
Speaker 2: Just but what But what I'm saying is this, why why did the people who got my question is this? Why not have been honest with people in Massachusetts? Ten years ago and saying, look, we want the whole, the whole Inchilada. We not only want medical marijuana, we want it available for recreational activity. And knowing that we want cannabis cafes.
Speaker 7: Because you have to do one step at a time. Oh okay, fine, and that's how it that's how it started here first it was medicinal.
Speaker 2: I know you're making my point.
Speaker 7: You're making my point, and I'm just saying. All I'm saying is, at the end of the day, it's all about revenue. Like your past Callas said, Okay, it's revenue, revenue, revenue, and the government sees a way to make a profit.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this. If if we can make if we can make revenue for the government with cocaine or heroin, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, right now we might not be alive dam But that might be the case because if you go back to Amster, I think it's Amsterdam, there's there's more drugs available there than ah here.
Speaker 2: Okay, and right, so we want to emulate, so therefore we should emulate Amsterdam.
Speaker 7: I'm not saying that, I'm just well when I'm I'm just that was the example that was given. So if you really want to know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is in effect, they're saying this is going to be wonderful, just be like Amsterdam. Well let's let's just not take half a loaf of Amsterdam. Let's take the whole thing. Let's let's legalize it all.
Speaker 7: By the time this happens, we won't be on this side of the flowers. Okay, we'll be pushing up daisy.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm concerned. I'm concerned as as as a parent. I'm concerned as a grandfather that this is what our kids are going to be dealing with. And you know, people, there's a lot of people killed in drunk driving accidents. You're absolutely I'm not.
Speaker 7: Look, I'm not for drinking and driving, no, no, no, but but I haven't had alcohol for since two fifteen when I started my yoga practice. Okay, okay, congratulations, congratulations, thank you. But I didn't know what I'm saying is quit it.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, but it's always. Thank you very much. I appreciate them. Up my break. You got the longest call of the night so far because you were the best one so far. Thank you as always.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, thank you and again, I'm not I'm not endorsing yousing drugs or alcohol, but it's just looking at it from a balance that if you're going to allow this, then you have to allow that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's like saying somebody who doesn't have enough self control, they got to eat five ring things a day, they also should eat like, you know, five chocolate cupcakes, about twenty five Oreo cookies.
Speaker 7: I mean that, you know, Dan, at the end of the day, I look at it like this, whether it's legal or illegal, it's your choice. Now do you want to take do you want to drink that or eat that? Whatever? Because it's on the shelf. You know, people have to take responsibility.
Speaker 2: So no, I don't believe in that. I don't believe in people taking responsibility because when they when they kill someone in their car, why should they have to go to trial. I mean, they were just drinking.
Speaker 7: They were being allowed to do it to be going right to jail. No trial.
Speaker 2: All right, Lola, gotta go, Thank you much. Thanks, Okay, bye bye, We'll be right back on Night's side. This has got the bowl lines going. Let's keep rolling. Coming back only line open six, one, seven.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray line from the window world Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: That's keep Rolanhan. Going to go to Joe and Weymouth. Joe, you were next on Nightside.
Speaker 8: Welcome right ahead, Yes, Dan, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Sir? What's your take on all of this shows?
Speaker 7: Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: I can hear you perfectly, Go right ahead, Okay.
Speaker 9: I was looking today through my mail and I got, uh the five questions that are going to be on the ballot, and one of those, I believe was something about legalizing some kind of controlled substances. I didn't need it.
Speaker 2: So called so called magic mushrooms.
Speaker 9: Oh that's that's awesome. Yeah, to try those up in the cast.
Speaker 2: Very cool. It's very cool. Everybody in Massachusetts can get stoned on magic mushrooms.
Speaker 9: That's just awesome. I think these cafes, like you said, are probably inevitable. It's it's a horrible idea. And when you also mentioned in California that they made so many billions legally and the black market made substantially more.
Speaker 2: Still twice and I guess we did the story last week here up in Maine, little old state of Maine, there's two hundred and seventy to or at least two hundred and seventy illegal pot farms in Maine that are funded by the Chinese government, the Communist Party of China. Go check out main Daily Wire. It's a great website out there. Finally, finally it's being taken. There's notice being taken of it. We did it a year ago. The Boston a little bit of front page story on it last week. They're a little late, a little late to the party. But yeah, is that great?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well you've been You've been talking about that for months.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, since last January. And you've got to give credit to Steve Robinson, who's the editor in chief of the Main Wire. But if the national media doesn't want to do it, it doesn't exist. You don't see that story on NBCC Bears or ABC National News at night, do you.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, no, you know no.
Speaker 9: That's why I have to get my news from nights out.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll keep we'll keep working on a show. Thank you very much. You're a very great caller, and continue to support you keep calling the show. Thanks much, talk soon than right, good night. Let me go next to I Lean in Waltham. I lean want to get you in here before the newscast at the top of the hour. Yeah.
Speaker 10: One, I don't know why our restudent politicians didn't realize that if they legalize marijuana, the fentanyl trade is going to increase direct result. Two, our illustrious senator warned, is for the national legalization of marijuana.
Speaker 2: Sure she is. Huh, I'm sure she is.
Speaker 10: That was a hot jump, right, And then the effects of merrill And then I and the legal trade that you highlighted a few days ago or a week within the last week.
Speaker 7: On your program.
Speaker 10: And the other thing is many, many. I mean, if you drive around Boston, you're going to see multiple part marijuana where we're gonna call them facilities all over the place. Yeah, I mean there's no control on.
Speaker 5: The number of them.
Speaker 10: They're everywhere, and I'm sure very expensive. I mean they're not little sharp, these are huge.
Speaker 2: I kind OF's making money.
Speaker 10: And yeah, someone mancy this big time.
Speaker 2: Someone's making money. That's for sure. Capitalism is a great thing.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 10: But I don't even see how all of these can make enough money to exist. It's like they're almost across the street from each other.
Speaker 2: Well, I guarantee you that in time, pardon the pun. Some will be weeded out. Yeah, okay, all right, thanks, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Welcome, great Carl, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Let me see what I can do here real quickly. I got Jim in casey Jim. Go ahead, sir.
Speaker 8: Next time I'll be I'll be brief called earlier, but i'll be okay, not this week.
Speaker 2: You haven't. You left me a voicemail over the weekend, but I couldn't hear what you were trying to play for me at the end.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, all right, all right.
Speaker 8: Well, three things I've been saying for years that whenever you get any kind of a prescription that precludes the operation of machinery, your state should automatically assume that you need that prescription in order to live, and since you're going to be on it twenty four seven three sixty five, they should automatically suspend your privilege to operate. And the other thing is answer your question, where does it stop. It's generational. The kids see the parents doing it and they think it's okay. If the kids don't see the parents doing it, they may still try it, but once they realize how crazy it is, they'll stop. So that's where It starts and stops with the family. If you care about your kids, you care about your grandchildren, don't do it because they're going to see it. They're going to think it's good, and they're going to do it whether it is good or not.
Speaker 2: All right, Jim, I got you in. Thank you very much as always, appreciate your call. Talk to you soon. Okay, Okay, I got about a minute. I want to get Daryl in here and desertas to hang through the news. Daryl got about a minute for you.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, buddy, hey Man, great topic again. I'm a medical client through a veteran program YEP, legalizing Canada. And what happens is a group of veterans up at a place called Canada House in or Mucdo, New Bunchwick. Yeah, if you wish a lot of information to give them a call talk to the guy that started it. And but I would not go further than a marijuana product reference legalization because with the opiates after major surgery, a lot of veterans.
Speaker 2: Go through No I understand, I understand. What I'm just saying is that it's tough to draw the line because you know, once you let the genie out of the bottle. It's tough to get the genie back in the bottle. Yes, I'm sure you know.
Speaker 6: It also goes back. It also goes back to the responsibility of the vendors and the people.
Speaker 2: Well, good luck relying on that unfortunately. Yeah all right, Daryl, you got it.
Speaker 6: All goes back to the good.
Speaker 2: People, right, that's what it's about. I guess I guess you're right. And the good people want more weed, and we'll get them more weed, get them weed everywhere. Everybody will have weed, and everybody will be late for work. Nothing we'll get done, no one will go to work, and the society will will collapse. That's okay, what the hell we've had?
Speaker 6: Well, that's why people want to work from home.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, you got that. That way they can smoke. I get it, I get it.
Speaker 7: All.
Speaker 2: Great points, Daryl. I gotta run. I'm talking to you soon. Here comes the news I got you in so you didn't have to wait. Thanks Daryl. Coming back on Night's side right after this. We'll continue with this cannabis cafe issue for as long as you like, or we're gonna switch topics. So I'm gonna go to Stacy, who is kind enough to hold on through the newscast. Hey, Stacy, what's your thought on the cannabis cafes in California. You know, whatever happens in California eventually comes to Massachusetts.
Speaker 11: Really, but i'd like to I'm not getting off topic, but I do want to mention that the medical marijuana those places, there's only two right now that I know of in Massachusetts, Meta and Brookline opened in twenty sixteen for medical and I think you know, I have multiple sclerosis. If I didn't smoke medical marijuana, my lesions are in the front of my brain that affect my cognitive functioning, and I wouldn't be able to focus and get anything done. Nineteen it went to recreation and now there're a dime a dozen. What they're doing is they're all selling everybody else's product, but there's no medical anymore because the compliance is so difficult.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what are you telling me? Okay, what I'm hearing you say, correct me if I'm wrong, is that the legitimate need for people like yourself who had a medical need that was used by the medical by the marijuana community as sort of the way to open the door. Now that the door is opened, anybody in Massachusetts could buy it. Anybody in Massachusetts, you know a certain age could use it. But folks like yourself who are in need of it, access for you is now tougher that it was when it first started. It sounds like what you're telling me is that correct?
Speaker 11: And to say that it is correct as a disabled person, we don't pay taxes on medical marijuana if.
Speaker 7: You have a card.
Speaker 11: What the disservices with recreation is the young kids that think they can go when they become a certain age and they're just smoking pot. I get it recreationally. I mean I grew up in the day when we smoked one hundred percent pc and didn't care where it came from. Now I'm very careful about the medical marijuana. I know what works for me, and I know it doesn't. And it's so frustrating to go to a recreational place having to pay more than you should and not get the product you want.
Speaker 2: So why why have they eliminated the medical marijuana dispensaries? Why they too?
Speaker 11: Why have The question is why have that they not opened more medical dispensaries? And the reason being is so I'll tell you getting a license for that through compliance, through the Mass Commission, whatever it is, is very very difficult, very difficult. And the fact that there were two recreations marijuana has opened across the street from each other. I think it was in Quinsy is outrageous.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 11: It makes people like us who require medical marijuana to go through their product figure out what's in it? Is it going to help me? It's just so much more research than when you know what works in the medical.
Speaker 2: Exactly well, well, you know, I have all the empathy in the world for anybody like yourself, Stacy. In effect, I think that the medical marijuana should be able to even if you have to have the type that you need in your doctor's office. I mean that that's you're the folks who truly have a need for it. You're not some twenty one year old who wants to get stoned on Friday night with his friends and watch the Three Stooges on TV.
Speaker 11: You know, I mean, oh, exactly exactly. And it really you know, there's veterans out there that help, there's you know, the lines were out the door when it first came up medical and now the recreational is exactly what it is, and we've kind of fallen by the wayside.
Speaker 2: Because unfortunately you were the You were the folks who kind of opened the door, and there were a whole bunch of people standing behind you who kind of have trampled over you.
Speaker 7: People. I'm sorry for people who requiet it.
Speaker 11: Netta taught me everything I know.
Speaker 7: It was so foreign to me.
Speaker 11: But you really, for medical purposes, you have to do your research on the certain ones that make you more aggressive than the others. And now again having to go to a recreational and ask the question, learning it all over again is just I wish they would turn around and just go back and start.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 11: The other reason that I think is very, very common is corporate corporations are buying the recreational facilities and they're trying to run them.
Speaker 7: Like corporate and you can't.
Speaker 11: It's a marijuana interest. They don't wear three piece suits and tight shirts and all that. It's the marijuana industry. And I've seen that in so many places that have gone downhill because people are buying it as an investment, not really sharing.
Speaker 2: And I think, all right, Stacy, best of luck. I wish I had it. I wish I had an answer for you. I don't, but I think you know that that here in Massachusetts, we could we we could certainly do better, uh in Massachusetts than in terms of serving folks who really have a need for it. They're more concerned. The folks who really have a need is a small subset. So what they want to do is they want to they use you guys to get it going, and now you're getting pushed out of the way, which is just dead wrong. Stacy, thank you for calling. Okay, and best of luck with your your your your diagnosis, your condition, and hopefully we can get it back on track.
Speaker 11: And I mean that honestly, so thank you Dean.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks Stacy talking to him. Good night. All right, we come back. A couple of things here. I want to change topics. A couple of things. One tomorrow night we got the big vice presidential debate, the one and only vice presidential debate. We didn't realize at the design, but it was only going to be the one and only Trump Harris debate. Back it was it September tenth, I think yeah, I think it was. It's been a while. The one and only vice presidential debate is tomorrow night. You will be able to hear it in its entirety here on WBZ at eight o'clock, we'll do an hour on these two candidates and try to get your sense as to what you expect. I think it's very interesting. Normally the vice presidential debates aren't particularly interesting. I think it's a very big contrast between Senator Vans of Ohio and Governor Walds of Minnesota, and we'll talk about that tomorrow night. What I do want to do, however, is share with you. And I know some of you are going to be happy and some of you are going to be upset. There's a new NBC Heart Research Associates Public Relations opinion poll public opinion strategies, and I'm going to break down the internals in the poll. I don't particularly care what the poll says, but when you know how to read polls, and I think I'm able to read them, and I think I'll be able to convince you in this poll that this is not good news for Donald Trump in my opinion. If the election were held today today, today's September thirtieth, we still have the month of October and then the election is on November fifth. So we're talking about the election now is thirty seven days away. If the election were held today, say hello to President Kamala Harris. Kamala Harris, I just I will, I will, I think convince you. You may not be happy with the numbers, but I'm going to run the numbers by you and I want to get your reaction to them. We'll take a break if you'd like to jump on board early and dispute the numbers. The numbers are what they are six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty Back on night Side