Speaker 1: Welcome to the quart Side Quantum Physics Podcast, an exploration of the fundamental structure of reality where quantum laws govern matter, energy, and information. Here, uncertainty is a feature, not a flaw, and understanding begins at the smallest scales.
Speaker 2: I want you to imagine the computer of the future, just you know, picture the physical hardware in your head right now.
Speaker 3: Most people are probably picturing something pretty sterile.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, like glowing silicon wafer is stacked in some massive server farm. Or maybe those giant, super cooled gold chandeliers of wire that big tech companies are always showing off in their press photos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the classic quantum chandelier.
Speaker 2: We are so culturally conditioned to think the next big leap in computing is just going to be like a colder, more densely passed version of traditional electronics. Yeah, but what if the hardware of tomorrow doesn't really look like electronics at all?
Speaker 3: What if it looks like a chemistry experiment.
Speaker 2: Exactly, because today we are unpacking a major milestone from May twenty twenty six from Envision Quantum Technologies, and it sounds remarkably like science fiction. It really does.
Speaker 3: They basically took a single specifically engineered molecule, the Carbeene right right, very particular type of molecule called the carbine, and they successfully turned it into a fully functioning unit of quantum information, a molecular quibit.
Speaker 2: So if you're listening, just think about that for a second. Imagine if instead of waiting for some massive semiconductor foundry to shave like another nanimeter off a silicon chip, you could literally just synthesize a perfect batch of microscopic hard drives in a lab beaker.
Speaker 3: It's a complete inversion of how we think about engineering because for decades the assumption has been that you construct a computer from the top down, you know, manufacturing, etching, stamping, but.
Speaker 2: Brewing the basic building blocks of a supercomputer. That forces us to entirely rethink what a machine actually is.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and our goal today is to unpack exactly how these designer molecules actually hold data, why they might honestly give current quantum computers a real run for their money, and what this means for the future of the Internet.
Speaker 2: So to understand why this is such a big deal, we really have to look at the physical anatomy of the hardware itself, like what exactly is a carben and how does a cluster of atoms hold programmable information?
Speaker 3: Well, to answer that, we have to start with carbon. Carbon is basically the fundamental backbone of organic chemistry. In its most stable, happy state, a carbon atom likes to form four chemical bonds with the atoms around it.
Speaker 2: So like a standard methane molecule, you've got one carbon atom in the middle holding hands with four hydrogen.
Speaker 3: Atoms, exactly four hands holding four other atoms. But a carbine forces carbon into this highly unusual state where it only forms two bonds.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's structural incomplete. It has empty hands.
Speaker 3: Yes, those empty hands are the defining feature. Because the carbon atom is only forming two bonds, it is left with two unshared, free floating electrons in its.
Speaker 2: Outer show the ivolink carbon right divalent.
Speaker 3: Now, in a normal setup, those two electrons might just pair up and cancel each other out, but in this specific carbiene they remain unpaired. They just sit there, highly reactive and incredibly sensitive to their environment.
Speaker 2: Those two lonely electrons are what actually store the data. The documentation points out that they create what's called a triplet state, which I mean I know, a classical computer stores data as a bit like a zero our.
Speaker 3: One, like a coin line flat on a table, its heads or its.
Speaker 2: Tails, right, But how does a triplet state physically store quantum information?
Speaker 3: It all comes down to quantum spin. You can think of an electron as having a tiny built in magnetic compass needle. Okay, And because these two electrons are unpaired but still interacting with each other, their needles basically align parallel to one another. They act as a single combined quantum system, and that parallel alignment gives them three possible spin configurations, hence the term, you know, triplet. But because it's a quantum system, it doesn't just pick one state and stay there.
Speaker 2: It sits in a superposition. I always like to picture quantum spin like a microscopic spinning top.
Speaker 3: That's a great analogy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So a classical bit is like a top that has already fallen over. It's definitively pointing left or right. Yeah, But a quantum electron is an actively spinning top. It's holding an incredibly complex amount of positional data while it's in motion. It's in multiple orientations at the same time until we force it to stop.
Speaker 3: That captures the complexity perfectly, and the challenge for physicists hasn't really been proving that electrons spin. We know they do. The challenge is that these spinning tops are incredibly delicate.
Speaker 2: Like if the table gets bumped, the top falls.
Speaker 3: Over right, a stray magnetic field, a tiny change in heat, the top wobbles, it crashes, and all that quantum de is just gone.
Speaker 2: So they've stabilized these spins and large groups of molecules before.
Speaker 3: Right, they have in large concentrated clusters. But the massive shift here is that envision isolated and controlled the spin of one single molecule.
Speaker 2: Which is wild. The precision required for that is just it's hard to wrap your head around. It's like trying to pick out a single voice in a roaring stadium crowd.
Speaker 3: And not only did they isolate that single voice, they demonstrated perfect addressability.
Speaker 2: Meaning they could repeatedly control and read that one specific molecule over and over exactly.
Speaker 3: Plus they achieved spectral stability lasting over an hour.
Speaker 2: Wait, really an hour. In quantum physics, where states normally degrade in like fractions of a second, an hour is an absolute eternity.
Speaker 3: It really is the dividing line between theoretical physics and applied engineering. Hitting that single molecule level with that kind of stability means we finally have a viable individual building block for a real machine.
Speaker 2: Which immediately leads me to a pretty big mechanical problem.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's up.
Speaker 2: Well, if we have this incredibly fragile single molecule acting as our spinning top atom, how do we physically interact with it? I mean, you can't just solder a tiny copper wire into a single carbon atom.
Speaker 3: Definitely not.
Speaker 2: So if you want to write data to it or read the data back out, how do you do that without instantly knocking the top over?
Speaker 3: You abandon physical wiring completely. You have to rely on the optical interface. You use light.
Speaker 2: Wait, so we are pressing save using lasers.
Speaker 3: We are transferring angular momentum using photons. Yeah, but you can't just scatter these carbine molecules on a glass lide and shine a flashlight up there.
Speaker 2: Obviously not.
Speaker 3: They need a highly specialized support system. So what the researchers do is they take a precursor molecule, which is like a stable, chemically inactive version of the carbine, and they embed it deep inside a host crystal.
Speaker 2: I've heard this compared to freezing a seed in an ice cube tray, but that feels a bit, I don't know, too passive. It didn't really explain what the crystal is actually do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A better way to look at it is that the host crystal acts as a tailored molecular shock absorber. Oh interesting because at the atomic scale, heat is really just movement, its atoms vibrating, So if the environment is vibrating, the molecule gets shaken apart and the quantum data is lost. But the crystal lattice is structurally matched to that precursor molecule. It acts like a custom foam case around a delicate watch. It absorbs and dampens all the acoustic and thermal vibrations from the outside world.
Speaker 2: So the molecule is perfectly cradled. But once it's locked in that shock absorber, how does the light actually turn it on?
Speaker 3: They hit the crystal with a very specific calibrated pulse of ultraviolet light.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: When the precursor molecule absorbs that UV light, a chemical bond breaks. It sheds a small fragment, usually in a nitrogen gas molecule, and what is left behind is the active carbine, so.
Speaker 2: It's positioned exactly where they want it, locked safely inside the crystal. Precisely, you essentially sculpt the hardware into existence remotely using a laser pointer is so cool. And once that carbene is active, they use different wavelengths of light to manipulate the spins of those two unsheared electrons. This is the spin photon interface.
Speaker 3: So how does the data transfer actually work there?
Speaker 2: When a photon hits the molecule, it doesn't just illuminate it. A photon actually carries a tiny amount of energy and angular momentum, So when the electron absorbs that photon, it physically absorbs that momentum, which forces its spin state to change.
Speaker 3: And that is how you write the data exactly. So is reading the data just the reverse process?
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When the electron drops back down to a lower energy state, it emits a single photon back out, and the wavelength and polarization of that emitted photon tell us exactly what state the electron was in.
Speaker 3: So you are combining a matter quibit the physical electrons holding the memory with a flying quibot, which is the photon carrying the information away.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, which means the molecule is functioning as both the hard drive to store the data locally and the router to transmit the data out. And if you step back and look at the whole trajectory of the Internet, that dual capability is literally everything. It's the holy grail, right, because the ultimate goal isn't just to have a solitary quantum computer sitting in a basement somewhere. It's to build a quantum Internet. We need a way to store quantum states and securely beam them across fiber optic networks using light.
Speaker 3: And this molecular setup inherently speaks the language of a quantum network because it natively emits those single photons.
Speaker 2: But there is a pretty big environmental factor we have to address here.
Speaker 3: Temperature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when I was looking at the details of the milestone, I saw a number that immediately raise a red flag. They are operating this pinfoton interface at roughly four point five kelvin, And for context, if you're listening, four point five kelvin is about minus four hundred and fifty degrees fahrenheit. It is marginally warmer than the vacuum of deep space.
Speaker 3: It's very cold.
Speaker 2: I thought the whole promise of moving away from traditional quantum ore architectures was that we wouldn't need these massive, expensive cooling systems anymore.
Speaker 3: It does feel a bit contradictory, right, celebrating a revolutionary new architecture that still requires liquid helium to function. And it's a completely fair critique of the current demonstration.
Speaker 2: So to get those pristine hour long stability measurements, they really had to freeze out almost all residual thermal energy.
Speaker 3: They did for this specific experiment. Yes, we are still chained to the freezer. But, and this is important, we have to separate the conditions of this initial proof of concept from the fundamental physics of the material itself. Okay, how so, well, the roadmap for molecules operates on entirely different rules than the roadmap for solid state quibits like superconducting loops or synthetic diamonds.
Speaker 2: Right, Because a diamond is just a rigid rock. You can't exactly negotiate with its thermal properties exactly.
Speaker 3: Take nitrogen vacancy centers in diamonds, which have been a really popular candidate for solid state quantum tech are locked into this highly rigid crystal lattice. If you want to change how that diamond reacts to heat, your options are incredibly limited.
Speaker 2: Because you can't alter the diamond structure without literally destroying the diamond.
Speaker 3: But molecules offer a scientifically viable pathway to operating at much milder conditions, potentially even room temperature.
Speaker 2: Wait, really, how is that possible if heat destroys quantum spin.
Speaker 3: Because you can chemically engineer the molecule to isolate its own electrons, you can build insulating layers directly into the molecular structure. It basically creates a chemical buffer zone around the sensitive carbione center.
Speaker 2: Which naturally leads to the biggest question here, the core philosophical difference in how we build things. We're talking about major tech companies that have spent well over a decade and billions of dollars building superconducting circuits.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, entire supply chains are built around silicon fabrication, So.
Speaker 2: Why would they ever pivot to molecules.
Speaker 3: It all comes down to the difference between a top down approach and a bottom up approach to manifact.
Speaker 2: Let's introduce a new analogy for everyone listening current quantum hardware. The stuff getting all the funding right now is top down. Right, imagine you have to create a perfectly smooth microscopic sphere. The top down approach means taking a giant block of marble, which in this case is a silicon wafer, and using complex lithography and etching chemicals to carve away everything that isn't a sphere.
Speaker 3: It's entirely subtractive exactly, it's carving, and it is brutally unforgiving. If there is a single microscopic flaw in the original crystal lattice of that silicon, or if your etching process overshoots by like a fraction of a nanometer, the quibit is compromised.
Speaker 2: It suffers from decoherence.
Speaker 3: Right And because it's a solid carved structure, you can't just go in and patch it easily.
Speaker 2: But molecules are bottom up. It isn't carving marble. It's like building with lego bricks. You start with an empty table and you chemically snap individual atoms together until you have built the exact structure you want from scratch.
Speaker 3: Yeses, and that mechanism of synthetic chemistry provides a superpower that solid state physics simply doesn't have, which is infinite precise tuneability.
Speaker 2: Tuneability. Okay, unpacked that for us.
Speaker 3: Let's say you build a solid state quibit and test it and you discover, uh, oh, it isn't holding its memory long enough because it's too sensitive to magnetic noise in the room.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: To fix that, you might have to reinvent your entire manufacturing process, retool your clean rooms, change your etching protocol.
Speaker 2: Basically a massive capital expenditure just to tweak the design exactly.
Speaker 3: Now, imagine you test a molecular quibit and find the exact same problem. A synthetic chemist doesn't have to rebuild a factory. They go back to the lab and literally swap out an atomic attachment on the molecule itself.
Speaker 2: You pop off a blue lego brick and snap on a green one.
Speaker 3: Basically, Yeah, those attachments are called ligends or substituents. If we look back at the diaryl car being we were talking about earlier, those arrow rings actually act like physical bumper guards. Yeah, they provide steric hindrance. It's physical bulk that blocks other reactive molecules from crashing into the sensitive carbon center.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. So they act as physical armour.
Speaker 3: For the data exactly, and you can tune that armor. If you attach highly electronegative atoms like fluorine to those ligands, it physically pulls the electron cloud tighter around the molecule.
Speaker 2: Which alters how it interacts with external fields.
Speaker 3: Right, you can adjust the exact optical wavelengths it responds, to shift its spin interactions, or tailor it to fit perfectly inside different host crystals.
Speaker 2: That level of atomic customization changes the entire economic model of quantum hardware, because if you're building traditional quantum chips, your bottleneck is the clean room. You need billion dollar ultrasterile facilities just to carve the silicon.
Speaker 3: But if you are sympthesizing molecules, the scalability is completely uncoupled from silicon fabrication. You synthesize them in a liquid solution.
Speaker 2: So a standard chemical reactor could just brew trillions of identical, perfectly formed quibits in a single batch.
Speaker 3: Yes, And because they aren't bound to a rigid silicon wafer, the deployment methods completely open.
Speaker 2: Up, meaning you don't have to slot a chip into a motherboard. You could deposit the quibits as thin films. You'd literally paint a layer of quantum processors onto a.
Speaker 3: Surface exactly using techniques like spin coating, and Vision is already plotting how to layer these molecular systems directly onto integrated photonic chips.
Speaker 2: That is incredibly dense architecture. Right.
Speaker 3: You could construct hybrid devices where a traditional silicon backbone handles the classical routing and power delivery, while a painted layer of molecules handles the quantum processing.
Speaker 2: That kind of industrial versatility really explains why this is moving out of academic journals and into commercial boardrooms. I mean, if you're wondering why a microscopic chemistry experiment actually matters to you, it matters because the market is placing massive bets on it.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely alongside this scientific breakthrough, Envision secured fifty five million dollars in Series B funding.
Speaker 3: Fifty five million is a formidable signal. It demonstrates that institutional investors are looking at the limitations of current superconducting technology and they're actively funding alternative paradigms, and.
Speaker 2: They're using that capital to scale up what they call their PIQC platform or Pixie. What's so fascinating about their corporate trajectory is the aggressive pivot. They actually built their reputation on quantum sensing, right.
Speaker 3: Using these skin states to hyperpolarize molecules for advanced MRI imaging.
Speaker 2: They're using quantum mechanics to build better medical scanners. And now they're taking that fifty five million and driving straight into the hardest problem in technology full glown quantum computing.
Speaker 3: And we should be clear transitioning from a highly specialized sensor to a universal computing platform is a monumental leap and complexity. We need to ground this in the physical hurdles that still exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no one is synthesizing a molecular laptop next week, definitely not. So let's outline the roadblocks. What is physically preventing us from snapping a billion of these molecules together tomorrow and just turning them on.
Speaker 3: Well, the universal enemy of all quantum architecture is decoherence. We establish that the electron spins are like delicate spinning tops. Decoherence is the process of the environment slowly bleeding the energy and alignment away.
Speaker 2: From those tops, the table getting bumped by stray magnetic fields, cosmic rays or thermal vibrations exactly now.
Speaker 3: The current data reveals that these single carbine molecules can maintain a coherent quantum state for over two milliseconds. Furthermore, there's spin relaxation time, which is the time it takes for the top to completely lose its energy and fall over. Is in the tens of milliseconds, which.
Speaker 2: Sounds incredibly fast to a regular person, but in the realm of quantum operations, where a single calculation takes nanoseconds, two milliseconds actually provides a pretty substantial window to execute algorithms.
Speaker 3: It is an excellent baseline for a single molecule, but to build a fault tolerant computer, one that can correct its own errors faster than they occur, those coherence times must be extended significantly. However, the true nightmare scenario isn't managing one quibbit. It's the orchestration of the two quibit.
Speaker 2: Gait, meaning getting two isolated molecules to talk to each other without destroying each other's data.
Speaker 3: Yes, consider the physics of a high density molecular chip. If you pack millions of molecules tightly together so they can interact quickly, their individual magnetic fields start to interfere, you get crosstalk.
Speaker 2: Oh, so they jam each other's.
Speaker 3: Signals, right, But if you space them too far apart to prevent interference, they can't effectively entangle with each other to process operations.
Speaker 2: So you have a thread and impossible needle maintaining the ability to target one specific molecule with a laser while simultaneously forcing it to entangle its skin state with a neighbor and shielding both of them from the noise of the millions of other molecule surrounding them.
Speaker 3: It is an incredibly delicate balance of proximity and isolation.
Speaker 2: But you know, exploring these hurdles reveals an incredible, almost poetic irony about the entire quantum computing industry. The feedback loop, Yeah, the virtuous cycle. If you look back over the last twenty years, one of the ultimate goals of quantum computing, the main reason governments even wanted to build them, was to simulate chemistry.
Speaker 3: Right, because classical computers simply lack the processing power to map the quantum states of large molecules. The math scales exponentially and just chokes traditional processors.
Speaker 2: Exactly, we spend decades trying to build artificial quantum computers out of silicon, lasers and super cooled metal, just so we could finally simulate complex molecules. And now the molecules themselves are replacing the silicon. The chemistry we wanted to simulate has literally become the hardware.
Speaker 3: It initiates a feedback loop of pure technological acceleration. The better our current generation of computers gets at modeling molecular behavior, the better we become at designed optimal molecular quibits. Oh wow, Yeah, we can simulate a carbine with the perfect ligen detachments in a computer before we ever synthesize it in a lab.
Speaker 2: So synthesize that perfect molecule becomes more powerful quantum computer, which in turn simulates an even more robust molecular architecture.
Speaker 3: Exactly. We are using the physics to solve the chemistry to build better physics.
Speaker 2: That is amazing. Yeah, and looking ahead toward twenty thirty, this clearly signals the end of a monolithic approach to hardware.
Speaker 3: The narrative that there will be one single winner in the quantum hardware race is totally obsolete. We are moving away from the idea that superconducting circuits will just eradicate everything else. We are entering an era of deep technological diversification.
Speaker 2: A diverse ecosystem, So you might see a future data center where super cooled solid state systems are handling specific, massive algorithmic heavy lifting.
Speaker 3: Right while photonic systems are managing the secure routing of data across.
Speaker 2: The network, and these highly tunable synthetic molecular systems are deployed alongside them for hyperdense memory storage, localized processing, or massively parallel chemical simulations.
Speaker 3: The precision of bottom up organic chemistry has finally caught up to the rigorous demands of quantum physics. These synthesized, customizable molecules are legitimately positioning themselves as the foundational atoms of tomorrow's machines.
Speaker 2: Which leaves us with the truly profound kind of mind bending question about the future of human labor in the tech sector. Think about it. If the supercomputers of tomorrow are no longer etched in massive silicon foundries by electrical engineers, but are instead synthesized molecule by molecule and chemical reactors, what does that mean for the people who will have to build and program them. If the hardware is chemistry, well, the next generation of visionary computer scientists actually need to be trained as synthetic chemists. It is an incredible shift in how we build the future. Until next time, keep questioning what's possible.