Speaker 1: Welcome to Fast Feast Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life. I'm Jen Stevens, author of the New York Times bestseller Fast Feast Repeat.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sherry Bullock, longtime intermittent faster and health and wellness advocate. Please keep in mind that this podcast is for educational and motivational purposes only and is not intended to provide medical or diagnostic advice. Jen and I are not doctors, so make sure to check with your trusted healthcare professionals before making changes, especially when it comes to any medical treatments or medications.
Speaker 1: Whether you're new to intermittent fasting or an experienced intermittent faster, tune in each week to get inspired, to learn, and to have some fun along the way.
Speaker 3: Hi, everybody, we are so glad you're here today.
Speaker 1: Welcome to this week's episode of the Fast Feast Repeat, Intermittent Fasting for Life Podcast.
Speaker 3: How are you doing today, Sherry? I am doing wonderful. How are you well? I'm doing fun.
Speaker 1: I do want to update the world on what's going on in my life. Okay, and now is as good a time as any. I went ahead and shared in the community last week. I'm sure you saw it. Y'all know i'd shared on this podcast this spring that Chad and I were going to live separately but see each other a lot. Well, we are now getting divorced. Sure you already know that. So the plan did not work out as I had optimistically hoped that it would. So this is one of those things it's hard to update. But Chad just can't disappear, I guess without me mentioning it, because he's been mentioned in the podcast episode since I started with my very first one.
Speaker 2: So right, right, Well, I know that you have worked hard to try to make him happy and also still have joy in.
Speaker 3: Your life and try not to get emotional. It's hard to know, I'm so hard to talk about, right, yeah, yeah, And you know here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Nobody goes into marriage looking to get divorced, right, And I think everybody works their hardest to try to hold a marriage together. And I have known you since twenty eighteen. I know you've been working hard at your marriage since then. And fortunately it takes two parties to make a good marriage, and one person can't.
Speaker 3: Do all the work.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, and you've been very helpful in the whole process, and I have really good friends, good family, close family, and close friends, and it's been helpful. So anyway, that's my update. And so yeah, you know, I'm such an optimist. I always think things are going to work out.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've told you all along. You know when you'll know when it's time, you know. And the funny thing is it wasn't even you that made this decision exactly right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're still hanging in there. And look, I was like, this is going to work. We can get together.
Speaker 1: We can have you know when or not with the day to day challenges, you know, we we can have fun together, we can enjoy our time together.
Speaker 3: But he realized that is not what he wanted. So I had hard August love you just yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, even when you know in your heart it's the best thing for you, it's the healthiest thing for you. In my case, it was leaving an abusive marriage. It's still as hard emotionally to let that go, to let go of the life that you thought you were going to have, and you do more in that loss, even when in your heart you know that it's going to be okay, and that's you know, your joy is going to expand because of this. It's still hard and you still have to hard and you still have to greet the loss of what you thought your life was going to be. But you know, I think you're doing great. You always come out on top, and I think you're going to come out on top this time too.
Speaker 3: And well, thank you, we love you, oh thank you. All right, Well, enough sad news.
Speaker 1: Let's be exactly. I'm like, all right, deep' read you breath. I never have to announce it again though, right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So our celebration this week is from Relieved in Pennsylvania. Relieved wrote, Hello, everyone, I just wanted to share an eye of victory regarding an unsupportive spouse. I've been married for thirteen years, so I still consider that quote young in marriage, so just keep that in mind. I'm not trying to give marriage advice. I just want to share my experience and hopefully some encouragement. Okay, well maybe a little bit of marriage advice lol. I started fasting in November of twenty twenty three. I have never needed to lose much weight, but I decided that I wanted to get rid of my extra ten pounds as well as just to improve my overall health. I found IF through a friend, and I was all in. I bought Fast Feast Repeat and the twenty eight day Fast Start book, and I was excited to get going. One challenge I didn't expect was having a husband who was critical of what I was trying to do. For background, he was a bodybuilder when I met him, when he wasn't at work, he was at the gym. He was almost two hundred pounds of pure muscle on his five foot seven frame, and he was ripped. He got there by working his butt off, eating boiled chicken and raw eggs, drinking protein shakes, and by taking supplements. He now realizes how unhealthy that was. He cut out the supplements and the excessive weight lifting. He eats a well balanced diet and is very healthy at a reasonable muscle weight. Unfortunately, though, he was still very much in the mindset of eat less, move more. I'm not saying that wouldn't have helped me, but doing it his way was not sustainable for me, and there is nothing wrong with trying IF. But oh, did he strongly disagree. This was a very hard time for me. We were going through some trials in our marriage and I was already thinking we would end up divorced. Tack this on and it made it worse. We would frequently get into full blown arguments about fasting as well as other things. Now, keep in mind, he was going through his own internal trials and unhappiness, and now he was just taking it out on me. Unfortunately that happens in marriage. At the time, it feels like a very timely question. How very strange that you brought that earlier. Exactly the time though, I was not sure if things would get better, but I did not want to quit if because of him. In the meantime, I came up with a few ways to cope short term, and if things didn't get better, then maybe he was not the type of man I wanted to be with anymore. When he would ask me if I wanted breakfast, I would say, oh, thank you so much, but my coffee really filled me up. I think I'll wait until lunch. I wouldn't do this every time. I sort of had to feel him out, and many days I would break my fast very early just to keep the peace. I didn't not fast those days. I just had a much longer eating window than I wanted. If nothing else, I kept my mindset on my goal and called it a long eating window. I gave up on trying to explain if to him he had already made up his mind that this was not going to work. When we would get into an argument, I would try and say that I was doing this for me. It's just something I want to try, and I want to make sure I try it long enough to really know how it works for me. And in the meantime, I just asked that he support me, even though he disagrees. I would try and sneak in longer fasts when we would be busy or he was working. I don't really encourage lying, and if you have to lie, that's a really bad sign. But I was in survival mode. Some days I would flat out lie, saying, yep, I already ate, and I would say, in my head, my body is eating right now, it's eating fat stores, so it's really just a little white lie. It's unfortunate. But I would not be able to rely on him for any comfort. I couldn't say, may and my head hurts, or I feel a little sick to my stomach, because everything was the fault of intermittent fasting. I would share my ailments with a friend instead, and finally I would share with him when I felt great, and I would let the evidence speak for itself. I'm five foot four thirty seven and I was one hundred and thirty nine when I started. I was in a healthy weight range when I started, so when I dropped nine pounds and started looking lean, he really noticed. It took a good nine to twelve months, but I am so happy to report that his willingness to accept IF has drastically improved, as well as the other issues we were having in our marriage. When he shows me support in IF, I make sure I take a moment to say, Honey, I really appreciate you being willing to support.
Speaker 3: Me doing this.
Speaker 2: I say thank you every time he shows one iota of support. Now, instead of him snapping to me, are you going to eat today? With this day, he says, I'm making myself an omelet?
Speaker 3: Would you like one?
Speaker 2: Or are you fasting? It took a while, but the disdain slowly went away, and now it's just an honest question. Sometimes I will take him up on it and let him make me an omelet, and then, of course I rave about how delicious it is. But most of the time I say no. Thank you, honey, I'm feeling pretty good right now. Thank you so much for asking me. Find a fasting friend. If your spouse's like mine was, join the community. If you don't have a fasting friend, find your support for your bad days. We've been married for thirteen years now, and this past year I learned that, sadly, there are times in your marriage where you will have to be strong for you with no support from your spouse, and they may even try to drag you down. But like hitting a plateau and if you might just need to give it time. If nothing gets better, make some tweaks. Marriage is a partnership, and I believe that you or your spouse's help meet. But when it comes to your health, you are number one. And if they won't help or even support you, just keep going on. I wasn't going to lose out on the possible help benefits of IF because of my husband's grouchiness. Sometimes we walk together, sometimes he carries me, sometimes I carry him, and sometimes you have to carry yourself. But hopefully just for a little bit, you can do it. Love you all, and really I have so many thoughts about this. I do too, I have so many thoughts about this. I'm going first bad that her husband has gotten to a point where he's accepting of this right. But I also just want to say from me and my perspective on I've learned through a not so great marriage and then a really good marriage. And I'm not saying my husband and I are perfect and that we always understand each other. There are some days he's grouchy about my fasting. There's days he's grouchy about me eating healthy. But I think the number one thing is that you always have to have strong boundaries and when something is good for you, it doesn't necessarily matter whether your spouse or your significant other is on board with it, because it's not their body, and it's not their life. It's your body, it's your life, and it's not our job to always make our spouse happy. And I don't I mean, I don't feel like you should lie. I don't feel like you should hide that you're fasting. This is a decision you made, and you are a person with autonomy. You get to make that choice and you get to protect your fast And I mean, it's really none of their business how you choose to live and eat and when you choose to eat. It's just not and I feel really passionately about that. And man, I love that she made it work and that she figured out what she needed to do. But at the same time, this is where boundaries just come in and you just say, I'm not having this discussion with you. This is what I'm choosing to do, and I would like your support. If you cannot give me your support, please be quiet. Yeah, I mean I feel so sometimes in marriage. I don't mean for this to be a marriage counseling session, but sometimes in marriage we give up pieces.
Speaker 3: Of ourselves without realizing that we're doing it, and that hits home right there. Yeah. Yeah, And then over time you start giving up little pieces of yourself and you stop being true to yourself. And trust me, I did this and it happened really little bits over time, until I didn't know who I was anymore. And so I just encourage you to know yourself, be true to yourself. If you're struggle with boundaries, start working on how to have healthy boundaries, read some books about it. And when you make a decision, that's that's your decision. If it's not affecting anybody else, that's you. It's all you you get to choose. That's I'm like, go off my soapbox. Now, I think that's really good advice.
Speaker 1: And I would like to broaden this discussion to even be like friends and other family members because mom.
Speaker 3: To day and the mom you know.
Speaker 1: Today in the community, we had somebody who came in with a challenge that she's got a friend and her friend is telling her that fasting is bad for your blood sugar and you're gonna I don't even know what the friend's problem was. And also the friend said, you should only lose one pound per month if you're losing weight. He right, I'm like, well, you know, I do think one pound per month. It could be a pace if you don't have much to lose, but that's the only healthy rate of loss. No, no, So I just I wanted to point out that we have all sorts of people in our ear about what we're doing who chime in with opinions, and we will never please everybody, right, So we have to do what makes us feel our best and what's best for our health, and whether that's your spouse, your significant other, your friend, your sister. I'm a big fan of saying, look, I would love to discuss this with you after you peruse these resources fully that I have consumed, like, read this book, not just I'm going to tell you in five minutes why it's good. Read this entire book, fast feast, repeat from cover to cover, and when you're done reading the entire book, let's talk about it. And until then, let's don't talk about it, and we'll just agree to disagree. I think being able to agree to disagree in any relationship is a sign of a healthy relationship. And you know, not to beat a dead horse about my own situation, but that was one thing we could not do. So if you're unable to agree to disagree, then it may be time to have some counseling. I don't know, but the boundaries I think are really important. Yeah, well, and you know that's the advice I actually gave you. That person's community was, you know, give them your copy of the book and say I would like to read this, and when you finish reading it, let's have a discussion about it. And maybe your friends is but I don't want to say, fine, you do not have to read it, but then this subject is closed. Right, It's not your job to convince your friends with words. I've written a book about it. They can read the book, they can go read doctor Mark Madson's book, they can look at resources that are out there from people who are knowledgeable about intermittent fasting. They don't have to take your word for it, nor should you feel like you have to defend it yourself or know all the answers well.
Speaker 2: And a great question to ask is like, I think a lot of this comes from concern, right, Sometimes when people see you losing weight and they hear what you're doing and it sounds hard or awful to them, immediately going to just bad talk it right because they're seeing you have success, but they're like, I can't do that, and they are feeling like maybe kind of left behind, maybe that you're making these great strides and you're losing weight, but whatever you're doing sounds alarming to them. And they immediately was like, oh, that's not good for you, you shouldn't do that. But it's really because they don't want to do that that sounds alarming to them. And when people really start giving you their opinions on it and you start asking them why, it's a lot of I don't think or I heard, but they haven't read the science behind it. They don't understand what happens when you clean fast and you're you know, metabolically, you.
Speaker 3: Know, adapted to use fat for fuel.
Speaker 2: It's like trainer's telling you you have to eat before you work out or you won't have the energy to work out. Instead of burning fat, you'll burn up your muscles. Well, they don't understand and that when you're a fat adapted person, you have endless fuel sources. Your body has no reason to go try to break down muscles, which is complicated process to give you energy. You have all this energy on your body, and so you know, it's just a lot of misunderstanding and lack of knowledge. But again, it's not your job to educate them.
Speaker 1: Right and they may even send you YouTube videos or Instagram reels or articles with alarming headlines like we've talked about on this podcast before, where someone is criticizing and ormitten fasting and saying something about it that is not what you think to be true, and that can be hard to deal with as well, you know, when they're sending you all this negative stuff. But there are a lot of people out there who do not understand the clean fast difference. And the research and that things just keep getting repeated and repeated and repeated that aren't true. So you know, if you're feeling better and you're losing fat and you're able to build muscle and you're doing well, trust that, you know, Cherry. We saw this week someone shared a study in the community about fasting and muscle.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: I just saw that like last week, and I started to read it and got called away. I think I was at work and I got hauled away and I never went back to read it. But from when I read, I was like, this is great information. There are people out there.
Speaker 1: Like there are legit people going on legit podcasts who are saying women, especially you can't do intermittent fasting and work out will eat up all your muscle. And this study was a study and we're not recommending that you do this because it was a fourteen day fast.
Speaker 3: Did you see that I did it. They fasted for fourteen days.
Speaker 1: Now, if your body's going to eat up your muscle, you would think it would happen by fourteen days.
Speaker 3: Well it didn't.
Speaker 1: And the article or the study talked about how, oh, the body has a mechanism in place for preserving your muscle and using other stored fuel like fat, which we know to be true.
Speaker 3: And that's the clean fast difference. And your body knows how to flip that metal ball switch. So please do not fast for fourteen days. We do not want you to do that. But know that our bodies are amazing.
Speaker 1: We are meant to be metabolically flexible, and so anybody who tells you we're not doesn't really quite understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I actually just wrote a note to myself. I'm going to go get a link for that study that was shared in the community. I'll drop it in show notes for any of you curious about that. Yeah, so you know, dealing with criticism, that's a big Yeah. Whether it's your spouse or a friend or someone sending you articles, you do not have to engage about it, right, And I just have one last thing to say. When you are confident in your decision and you have done the background education on it, and you know what you're doing, and you know what's happening in your body, and when you respond confidently, I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I hear you.
Speaker 2: But I have done a lot of studying on this, and I am very content. I am very assured that this is what's best for me in my long term health, and this is what I'm going to do. I encourage you to learn more about it, and I can give you some resources when you're ready, when you're a confident, and you respond confidently, and you let them know you've done your background research and that you're educated on this. Most people are not going to go into a debate with you, yeah.
Speaker 1: Or they're not going to read a book. If you say, if you read the book, we can talk about it more. I'd love to dig into some of these studies with you. They're not going to do that, and if they do, then you can debate it with them. That would be awesome. I love debating things of people who are well educated about it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So now we have a question from a listener. This is from Jeanette from Australia. She said, I have been fat adapted for years. I don't struggle with the morning fast at all.
Speaker 3: Usually.
Speaker 1: However, after a recent respiratory illness, with a few days on pregnazone and now on I don't know what this other one is.
Speaker 3: Brio oh is that a lift of It's an inhaler okay.
Speaker 1: Also steroid, yes, okay, she said, I am ravenous from waking till I break my fast. What could be happening? I am only ten days into the new inhaler and struggling to fast. Any ideas why, Yes, we do have lots of ideas, and we know what it is, Janette, one hundred percent know what it is.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Jerry.
Speaker 2: So this there's a lot of inhaled steroid inhalers that are used for people with asthma with restrictive airwaid disease COPD.
Speaker 3: So you are basically.
Speaker 2: Putting in your mouth this device and you're inhaling like a powdered a very fine powdered steroid. And we know that when you take steroids it contributes to higher blood sugar, and higher blood sugar relates to higher insulin and all this is going to translate to more hunger. So my suggestion would be it's a once a day thing. Try changing the time of day that you use. It should be used at the same time of day, either morning or at night, but try switching it and see, like, if you're currently taking in the morning and you're feeling really hungry all day, try taking it at night. See if that like initial like spike you're getting in your blood sugar and your you know, you're hunger and everything. Maybe it happens more while you're sleeping and while you're in the fasted, stay already burning through what you've eaten that day and see if that helps. If you're taking in the evening, just maybe try taking it as you're opening your window. Because every drug has a half life, so you know it comes up at peaks and then.
Speaker 3: It starts to decay, to dilute whatever.
Speaker 2: You want to call it in your body. So if you can get it to where it's at its like least potent during your last few hours of the fast, it might help you.
Speaker 1: Steroids are just known with increased hunger in general. For whatever reason someone's taking any any form of steroid, we just hear that all the time, increased hunger. And they're also connected to weight gain, So something to keep in mind there as well. And I noticed that you said you just had a respiratory illness and so now you're using this medication.
Speaker 3: I wonder if it's it's not going to be something that you need long term.
Speaker 1: Maybe you don't, so you know, talk to your doctor about is this going to be something you need forever or is this just short term?
Speaker 3: And then you know you could expect to get back to feeling normal again.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, all right, So our next question is from Lauri and Nebraska, and Lauria wants to know can I do intermittent fasting while using a GLP one medication.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know you can, absolutely. Here's where you need to be cautious.
Speaker 1: I guess you know when you're using a GLB one medication, it's going to affect your appetite, right, And I know that different people have different levels of the medication or different effects on their appetite.
Speaker 3: And if you're finding that you're.
Speaker 1: Eating like a tiny, tiny, little amount of food while you're using your GLP one medication, that's not going to be good for your metabolism long term. So what you don't want to do is eat even less and less and less, and now you're barely eating at all. So you know, my advice would be, if you're using the GLP one medication for the purpose of weight loss and you want to be an intermittent faster, I would talk to your doctor about discontinuing the medication and focusing on natural appetite control from the clean fast and then nourishing your body well during your eating window rather than relying on the medication, just because you know, if you're using a GLP one long term for weight loss, you're going to be ending up with some metabolic consequences down the road. And you know, we've talked about these before on the podcast, so.
Speaker 2: Right now, if you're using them for diabetes and you've been taking it long term, it just depends on which medication you're using and what your doses. You know, a lot of times when people take it long term, and especially if it's some of the older ones, they don't have as strong as digestive effects and they are still able to eat, you know, relatively normal. It's when you get into the higher doses that it really starts to affect, you know, really affect your ability to eat a lot. So, I mean, just depending on why you're using it. But like I think, if you're already on it and you're trying to decide can you use if you know, can you pull if AT up a toolbox and add it to your you know, weight loss health plan, then yes, I think during the fast start would be a great time to work with your practitioner to start decreasing your medication. And I just recently learned that this medication stays in your system for twenty days. Wow, like ortal elimination is twenty days. So even if you decrease your medication, wean yourself off of it, by the time you're off of it, you should be fat adapted. And then let if do the work that the GLP one was doing for.
Speaker 1: It and real food, real food in your window, high quality food makes such a difference. And you know, I wanted to talk about that for a minute, because you know, I've not been having my best eating during this whole challenge of Chad moving away and learning to cook for one and not having the energy to really do it and just relying more on convenience things and not wanting to make a whole meal from scratch just for me. And I was like, you know, finally, I'm like I've had enough of that. But appetite correction comes so yes from the clean fast, but also from the food that you're choosing yesterday, you know, I'm back, and then making the meal kits for myself figuring out you know, eat some one day had some of the next day, you know, having leftovers that sort of thing. But I had such a good, high quality window yesterday with food that I made a meal that I prepared, and the appetite correction is so different than when you're eating something that's more convenient, more ultra processed. So if you're struggling with appetite correction, whether you're on medication or not, food quality makes such a difference. So I just wanted to put that reminder out there. And I also appreciate sure that you said, you know, why are you on the GLP you want? Like when I said, are you doing it for weight loss? That's totally different than if you're on a dose for diabetes management, and you definitely have different dosages and considerations depending on why you're doing it. But the clean fast plus high quality food is also amazing for regulating blood sugar in the long run.
Speaker 2: So right, that's the other thing I was to say, even if you're on it for diabetes, once you start fasting, you may find that your blood sugar is really well controlled where you can start decreasing the dose to the GLP one and you know you could potentially get off of it. We have people reverse their diabetes, their type two diabetes all the time, and they're able to get off of their medications. So you know, you could use if with the goal of I'm going to reverse my diabetes and no longer need to use injections to help control my blood sugar.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just talking to Fred Share. You know Fred, he was a very early Intermittent Fasting Stories guest and he was a moderator and are delayed on Deny group, and so I had him on an interview for YouTube, just catching up, and he reminded me that when he started intermittent fasting.
Speaker 3: First of all, this is cardiologist. He suggested it to him. He'd had lots and lots of hard issues. He got two pacemakers. Yeah, but his.
Speaker 1: Cardiologist is the one who said you got to start intermittent fasting.
Speaker 3: And he was also a type two diabetic. And this is years ago.
Speaker 1: I guess he started in twenty eighteen with intermittent fasting. He was off of his insulin in six months. It's not fabulous and he has not needed it ever since. He has been off of his insulin for diabetes since twenty eighteen. And so just fasting intermittent fasting, So I would just encourage everybody. Our bodies are amazing. We can do this in a way to work with our body naturally with intermittent fasting plus choosing high quality of foods. And you know, I'm going to be talking more and more about foods as time goes on. I've got a new project that I'm working on because I do know that food quality remains a struggle for a lot of people. So my new project that I'm working on is about, you know, nailing your food choices, whether you're an intermittent faster or not, because I think it's time for us to really you know, the awareness is out there. We know about ultra processed foods, we know about what works off for our body. I reminded myself of it over the summer when I was we're not always going to be perfect, even me, but food is such a powerful lever to pull absolutely yep. So now I have time for our segment called What's Your Why. Most of us have weight loss in mind when we start intermittent fasting, which is a great reason to begin, but there is so much more to what intermittent fasting could do for us beyond weight loss. I genuinely believe that when your why is deeper than weight loss alone, you're more likely to find long term success and view intermittent fasting as a lifestyle like getting off of all of your insulin in six months?
Speaker 3: Right, amazing?
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, So this week we have a wife from Teresa. Teresa wrote, when I started intermittent fasting, my why was weight loss and better health. I was completely trapped in a body that I couldn't move around in without difficulty, and a mind that was afraid of everything. I was on the edge of the cliff of an increasing number of health issues. After three years of fasting, I've realized that my why has evolved so much.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: My why is to be able to live life to the absolute fullest without fear, without over analyzing every single scenario. Will I fit in that chair, that seat, that ride. Will I be able to walk that far? Will I be able to get up the stairs, up the hill, off the floor? Well I have a medical episode if I over exert myself, and.
Speaker 3: On and on and on.
Speaker 2: My why is that I can live a vibrant and colorful life, full of joy and full of love, including unconditional love for myself and my miraculous body. I want my life to be an absolute yes. I can do every single thing that I desire. I have more energy, more confidence, and more inner strength than at any other time in my adult life. I just turned fifty seven, and God willing, I hope I have many more years ahead. I want to live the rest of my life feeling strong and ready for the next adventure. That really makes me think. You guys have heard me talk about my mom has started and how great she's doing. I was back home about a year ago, it was about thirteen months ago, and I took my dad. My dad and I went to a baseball game. You can't say and see the key any Royals, And before I went, was like, Hey, I'd like to catch a Royals game.
Speaker 3: Do you want to go?
Speaker 2: Do you a mom want to go? And my dad said, oh, I would love to go, But I don't think your mom can do it. I don't think she can walk from the parking lot into the stadium. I don't think she can walk up to you know, the seats. That's too much walking. I don't think she can do that. So if you want to go, that's fine, I'll stay home. Well, then my mom found out why. I was talking to my dad and she said, no, you guys go, but we had to leave her at home, and that made.
Speaker 3: Me really sad.
Speaker 2: Well, my son just moved to Arizona, right outside of Surprise, where Mackinsey Rails do spring training, and he lives a couple of minutes from their training facility and stadium, and he sent me some pictures of it, and I sent it to my parents and my mom said, I think we need to take a spring break trip to Arizona so that we can go to spring training and.
Speaker 3: Watch the games. That is a drastic change.
Speaker 2: Wow. I mean she's going from walking like three minutes a day to forty minutes a day and she's only been fasting since May. So if you think you can't do it, yes you can. Just like start fasting, start small. If you can only walk to the ind of your driveway, walk to the end of your driveway, you will be so surprised at how quickly your endurance changes, your inflammation dials down, and you have the energy and the want to move your body more. It's just outstanding. I can't even I'm so happy for her, I.
Speaker 3: Know that, and that is something to just be very proud of knowing that you've been able to help your mom. Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, So we have a question, and this is from Natalie and new Brunswick. She said, high ladies, I have what I think is a fairly unique situation. The background to my fasting history is that I started really committing to intermint fasting after having my second daughter, and reading Fast Feast Repeat listening to the podcast has helped clarify and motivate me. I have lost approximately twenty five pounds and I am back to my high school weight, which is an amazing feeling.
Speaker 3: I am six feet.
Speaker 2: Tall with a very classic Swedish heavier build, and I currently weigh one hundred and ninety five pounds. I've always had a focus on clean, whole food and low carb eating, but definitely ate too much during my last pregnancy. My first question and fairly defeating situation I am in is that since losing weight and or doing intermitt and fasting, I have developed gallbladder sludge. I finally went to my doctor as the instant bloating, nausea and pain in my back was getting worse after any meal and debilitating after a twenty hour fast and affecting my quality of life. I fully expected my ultrashround to show gallstones, but there was nothing. My blood work did show a sharp increase in two of my liver enzymes, which I think convinced my doctor. I reluctantly told them that I did intermittent fasting, and he told me that it is not healthy and you can guess the regular advice he gave me. That's okay, doctors are human and only know what they know. But I am so sad at the thought of giving up intermittent fasting because it has changed my life. It has helped to start heal my food noise and has helped me to lose weight.
Speaker 3: I never thought I could. Have you ever heard of this?
Speaker 2: My second question is I was always very proud of how low my A and C was and anywhere from five point zero to five point two. With my success in intermint fasting, I let myself indulge more during my eating window, such as sweets, ice cream, homemade treats, now, my A and C has jumped up to five point nine. I think I know the answer, But is my A and C higher because of what I'm eating? It seems funny because I've lost weight, but my labs have declined, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm going to answer the second part first, Natalie, And yes, if you had been eating in a different way and now you've added sweets, ice cream and treats and your A and C has gone up, that is a sign that it is not working for you as well. So food quality does matter, and ae C really does show what hower bodies reacting to what we're eating. So it seems like to me that what you're eating is not working as well for your body. So let's talk about gallbladder issues. And I want to remind everybody we are not doctors. We're not giving you medical advice, and we never want to tell you to disregard your doctor's advice. But I can share this information with you, and I'm just going to read something directly from a search. It says weight loss can increase the risk by altering bile composition and reducing gall bladder contractions, leading to symptoms like upper right abnominal pain, nausea, and indigestion. The increased cholesterol from fat mobilization, along with decreased gallbladder stimulation from your reduced CLOrk intake, can promote gall stoneformation or gallbladder dysfunction. And I have bad news about what they recommend, and that is eating less fat.
Speaker 3: You know, if you're having.
Speaker 1: Trouble with your gallbladder, weight loss is a big reason this can happen. And you know that's regardless of what style of weight loss you're doing. By the way, we know this from just in general, when we lose weight, we have a tendency not you know everybody, but weight loss is a risk factor for gallbladder issues. And also being overweight is a risk factor for gallbladder issues, as is also being over forty and being a woman, And there are lots and lots of things that lead to gallbladder issues. And so I guess the best advice would be never gain weight and never need to lose weight. But because we're human, I've certainly needed to lose weight. I've certainly gained weight, I've certainly lost weight, and so you know that advice, of course, is a bit tongue in cheap, because we can't go back and not have that happen. So you may find that you need to focus on lower fat intake, but also not so much sugar retreats. And you might think, well, how in the world can those two things go together. Well, Lean proteins, vegetables, real food, high fiber, those are all things that can really really help. And you know, definitely talk to your doctor about this. But I don't want you to think that you can't do intermittent fasting because you've had gallbladder issues.
Speaker 3: And I would like to.
Speaker 1: Encourage anyone to listen to a recent YouTube that I did catching up with a different guest, Mary lou Reese, her study of one. She has been doing intermittent fasting for years and again this YouTube is a catch up on my YouTube channel, and she told the story in her catch up interview with me that she used to have terrible gallbladder problems but when she started intermittent fasting, it all went away. And so you know, your own study of one does definitely matter. And it's very clear that you have had these problems due to your weight loss. But as you get to the point where you're maintaining instead of continuing to lose weight, you're finding a maintenance intermittent fasting protocol, working on your food choices, food quality a little bit, you may find that the gallbladder symptoms settle down. Now you've got gallbleer or issues, sharing you've had them from way before, so you talk about it a little bit more.
Speaker 3: I'm just I had my moot right. I've never had anything with my gallbladder.
Speaker 2: So I had my daughter when I was eighteen, and I had trouble all through my pregnancy with chest pain and nausea, pain between my shoulder blades, and it was always worse after eating, like usually a fatty meal, like if I had taco salad or went to olive Garden or something.
Speaker 3: I would have these episodes.
Speaker 2: And I didn't realize. I was not in healthcare at eighteen, didn't realize what was going on. They kept studying me trying to see if I had blood clots in my lungs.
Speaker 3: I did not.
Speaker 2: But then when my daughter was three weeks old, I had a really bad attack. Went to the er, and as soon as they found out I'd had a baby, they said, oh, it's your gallbladder. They didn't even image it back in nineteen ninety two, they just took me in and took my gallbladder out, and the doctor who did it said my gallbladder was so rotten he could all m'st not get it.
Speaker 3: At yet.
Speaker 2: So anyway, it's gallbladder disease can come about just from hormones, from unbalanced hormones, like they know, estrogen dominance can cause gallbladder disease, and having just had a baby is something that triggers gallbatter disease. But you know, if you try not to eat high fat meals, When you eat a high fat meal, your body has to really push out bile. And if your gallbladder's not working great and it can't push out in a bial for that high fat meal to help digest that high fat meal that you ate, it's when you start getting the spasms in your gall butter. So that's where like focusing on fiber low sugar is another thing they say, don't eat a lot of sugary foods, just you know, really like a Mediterranean diet, low fat diet, high fiber, lean proteins, lower processed sugars and processed carbs.
Speaker 3: You're going to help you.
Speaker 2: And unfortunate if they've truly given you, you know, a diagnosis of you know, billiary dyskinesia. Really the only cure for it if you cannot modify your issue with diet is usually to have your gallbladder removed, but definitely tried diet first for sure. Diet helps balance your hormones too, which will help well.
Speaker 1: That Matt explains what women over forty as we're going through in the perimenopausal transition.
Speaker 3: Things just our bodies change. Mm hmm, yep, all right.
Speaker 1: We have a question from Sue in Essex. She says, I am enjoying fasting and find it easy to fit into my lifestyle. I started fasting in April and I initially lost about five to seven kilograms and I'm now in the mid range of healthy on smart BMI hooray. Celebrating with Sue, she said, I'm about five foot seven and I weigh around seventy five kilograms. I'm nearly fifty three in perimenopausal taking HRT. I'm also taking liquid levothyroxine.
Speaker 3: Did I say that right? Cherry, Okay?
Speaker 1: And my question is about this. I need to take it on an empty stomach and without coffee, but the oral solution contains citric acid and glycerol, which I think breaks my fast. I try to do a five hour window two to seven, but I take the med when I wake up in the morning, and I take my HRT before bed with magnesium.
Speaker 3: Do you have any advice. I drink one or two cups of coffee every morning and was wondering if I should take the thyroxine before I break my fast instead, but not sure if it will be less effective after coffee. I did take the tablet form before I started fasting earlier this year, but I ended up having a rash, so they put me on the oral solution. I have subclinical hypothyroidism, and I wonder if this has also caused the plateau. I'm not too worried about this, but would like to shift a little more. I also have joint pain from arthritis and hip dysplasia, so I regularly do drink training and I have a good diet. I'm vegetarian, mostly plants and unprocessed.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your advice. I love listening to you both and your positive energy. We love bringing you positive energy.
Speaker 3: Well. I have some thoughts on that. I did some research actually on this because I wasn't as familiar with the oral live with thyroxine.
Speaker 2: The liquid yeah, the liquid, yeah, liquid. Sorry, They're all oral, so when you take a pill, it takes time for it to dissolve and for your body to uptake that medication, and so you know, there's pretty tight parameters on when you can have anything to eat or drink fatty after taking it. But what they're finding is that the oral is absorbed much more quickly, so it can be taken closer to high fat meals without the absorption being affected. So the amount of time that you have to like fast after taking it before eating is lessened. They say you should wait thirty to sixty minutes after taking it before eating. Now, something that I looked into was like if a person was to work night shift and they were to wake up every afternoon at three pm, the recommendation would be for them to take it upon waking. They tell people to take upon waking because most people start eating after they wake up. So my suggestion to you would be to just wait and take it before you open your window, So allow like sixty minutes before you eat food and just take it.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 2: Yes, it may make you hungry during that last hour, but then you're not having as much disruption to your fast, and I think it'll help you. The one caveat is when adjusting the timing of your thyroid medicine, whether you're a person who's moving it from morning to bedtime or whatever they do say after about six to eight weeks to go ahead and have your labs redrawn, just to make sure that the time of day is not affecting how your body absorbs it, and that you're still.
Speaker 3: At a dose that works for you. Yep. I love that you know all these things. All right. Well, if I don't know them, I do some research.
Speaker 2: Awesome, all right, Before we get to the tweak of the week, I just want to talk to you inn about what I'm doing and what I'm loving doing, and that is helping intermittten fasters like you who are either maybe in a plateau or you're just really struggling with mindset or nutrition. How to eat, how to best eat, how to achieve satiety in your window. These are all things I've been helping people with and every time I meet with a faster number one, it's so inspiring to me how much people want to find success with inter fasting and how they are almost afraid to trust their own intuition, is what I'm finding. Like, people often know maybe what's holding them back, or sometimes they don't like sometimes people don't understand why when they open their window, they just can't stop eating. But usually within a few minutes I can figure it out. And so if you're a person and you're struggling and you're struggling to find the tide in your window, or if you're in a plateau and you're not seeing weight loss, or you're hungry during your fast all the time, contact me. I would love to sit and talk with you. I offer thirty forty five minutes and sixty minute sessions. I also have a monthly program where we talk weekly and you can text me daily and I am loving doing it so much, and I have had so much fun meeting y'all and working with you, and I love to see the changes. People are emailing me back and saying, oh my gosh, you know I was stuck. I haven't lost weight in four months, and in this last week I lost one point five pounds. And so sometimes just having a person to bounce some ideas off of can be so helpful, and we can work through whatever you're struggling with and get you back to where you're losing weight, feeling good, the faster easy, and you're achieving appetite correction in your window. So if that sounds like something you need, reach out to me at Sherry at fast Feast Repeat dot com.
Speaker 3: And again my name is s h e R I. Very simple, five letters s h r I at Fast Feast Repeat dot com. I love that so much.
Speaker 1: And you know, this makes me think back to being a school teacher and that we all need different support for things.
Speaker 3: You know, there's the kid in the classroom, you just hand them something. They do it right, They just need the book. They're good.
Speaker 1: Some people need, you know, more of like the community approach, but some people need one on one. You know, we would send our kids out for some one oh one on one with the interventionist who was skilled. And that's what you're providing. People need different levels of support and I love that you've got this added tool for people.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've been thinking.
Speaker 2: About doing it for a long time, but I had a really busy summer and I was like, Okay, I've got to get through the summer before I can log into doing this for people.
Speaker 3: I've been so happy. I love it. I look forward to every day that I sit down and talk with people. Love it. So now it's time for our tweak of the week. You know I always say tweak it till it's easy.
Speaker 1: But the tweak that works for me might not be the one that works for you, And that's why it's super helpful to hear how other intermitten fasters are making intermittent fasting work for them. This is from Gizelle from Ohio. She said, I have been doing intermittent fasting for two years. My weight loss is slow, but my health benefits outshine the rate of loss. Not to mention the peace of mind around food. Many days I would beat myself up when the scale is up or not moving, or when I'm not happy with my food choices, or life gets in the way of whatever good plan I had for the day.
Speaker 3: I decided to set three daily goals.
Speaker 1: One fast number two walk ten thousand steps, Number three eat fruit and veg cheese. At the end of the day, I check those goals off my list and feel good. The next morning, at the scale is not my friend, remind myself that I met my goals, I write down the number, and I move on. So my tweak is to set daily goals, with fasting being one of them, and a couple of others that benefit you and are easy to accomplish. Check them off your list. Every night and recommend in the morning. This takes the focus on what is going right and helps you celebrate what you accomplished in your day. And Gazelle, I actually do that. My goal every day is I have physical activity in there, and it's on my calendar, Like I put things in my calendar that I have to do, like.
Speaker 3: On Tuesday, record two episodes for Sherry and whatever is going on that day. But physical activity is the one I have. And you know I could do it could be anything for me, and I just make sure I do something every day. So I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that too, all right, So we are going to leave you with an inspiration now quote or it's actually just a motivational message from Michelle. She said, during my walk today, I saw a neighbor out gardening and it got me thinking about seeds and our fasting journeys. Fasting is basically gardening, but without the dirt and with some hunger pains. We plant seeds every time we start a fast, throw seeds when we share our winds or blips, some sprout, some compost. We nurture seeds by sticking to our routine without losing our minds, and finally we eat seeds when all that patience pays off in energy, focus and maybe even bragging rights at lunch. And let's not forget the weeds, those pesky cravings we have to pluck along the way. Happy gardening peeps love that.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for listening today. We would love to have you join us in the Delayed on Tonight community, where you can interact with both me and Sherry plus the most supportive bunch of intermittent fasters you'll find anywhere. Go to Jenstevens dot com slash community to join us.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to subscribe to this podcast to your favorite podcast app, and if you haven't already, please leave us a five star review that helps new listeners find the show and we really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We are a community driven podcast, so to submit your success stories, your questions, your favorite tweak it till It's Easy moments, or anything else you want us to share on the podcast, go to Fast Feast Repeat dot com slash submit and then listen each week to see if we share your submission or answer your question until next week.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening