Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday routine, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: Escape designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: Tonight we escaped to a lonely schooner sailing through the hot Caribbean night, carrying a fortune and the heedless passions of reckless men. As John and gwyn Bag may tell it in their exciting tale The Sure Thing, Oh this way.
Speaker 3: Senor, thank you, if you would please wait in here in the sign you understand, Senor, I have not the authority to handle the matter myself.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course I understand. You see a bank craft of two million dollars. It is a matter of such importance. Senor jose peris the president of the bank. He is the only one that's perfectly all right. Our wait for Senor Peri's gracious wait. Yes, I could wait. I'd come this far. I could afford a few more minutes, and I wanted to think about it, to roll it over in my mind, just as your roller finally cur over your tongue, to enjoy the full realization of it. It was hard to believe just a short while ago. I had been ship's doctor on the SS Martina, the gilded ferry boat of the Caribbean. And now I sat back in a comfortable chair and went over the whole thing again in my mind, just the way it happened from the beginning. We had just cleared the Straits of Yucatan on our way to Havana when the twenty three way message came that started the whole thing.
Speaker 5: Same thing, Doc s sos slanted to twenty three flung and eighty five west accident case on board schooner SID on our tana urgently naded doctor, can you.
Speaker 6: Board us?
Speaker 4: Is that all the answer as to the type of injury?
Speaker 6: I don't get it, Jack.
Speaker 5: She's laying to just after starve and they still keep sending the same message.
Speaker 6: Life was ready, doctor.
Speaker 4: Coming, All set, let's go. As a rule, I don't excite easily, but I was hanging onto my little black bag like an intern on his first ambulance case. Maybe it was the hour, the gray hour at sea that is suspended between day and night. As we pulled away from our ship, I could just barely make out the schooner healing to a wandering current. She was a forty two footer, and from her high bow she sloped away neatly in a sweeping sheer line to a trim square stir in the siddon. The name seemed a fitter aloof and aristocratic. We pulled alongside that.
Speaker 6: The docname.
Speaker 4: Yes, give us a hand, William, all right, man, ship your oars, steady you on board? Here, take my bag, Olsen, give me a hand with a stretcher.
Speaker 6: Right, watch your step there is eight.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Well, there we are. Now where's the patient?
Speaker 6: He's below? What'd you bring the stretcher for?
Speaker 4: Who are you?
Speaker 6: And the owner?
Speaker 1: Felix Arosee is the name? You can't take him off this boat. He's till weak.
Speaker 4: I'll decide that. Come on, Olsen, coman back We went below. The main cabin was lined in Hondura's mahogany. Everything was custom built, even the galley that we passed through on our way to the stateroom forward, where I found my patient, an old man and with him a girl.
Speaker 7: Oh, Doc, rh, I'm so glad you're here. Joseph. Joseph, hmmm, Joseph, the doctor he's here.
Speaker 4: Oh doctor, easy, now easy, you'll be all right.
Speaker 7: Doctor. He had an accident. He's terribly ill. I've been so worried.
Speaker 4: Please mumm, bad shock, pulse pretty low.
Speaker 7: You're not going to take away, are you?
Speaker 4: Easy? Now? Have you enough oil a boy to reach Havana if the wind doesn't hold yes, I think so. Okay, Ulson, you go on back. This man's in no condition to be moved.
Speaker 6: What about you.
Speaker 4: I'll meet the ship in Havana. We ought to be in there sometime tomorrow. But the skipper I'll take the responsibility.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're the doctor.
Speaker 4: All right, let's have a look here, easy now. Who bandaged him?
Speaker 7: I did?
Speaker 4: You did a good job. Don't try to talk. How long has he been this way?
Speaker 7: Two days?
Speaker 4: Two days?
Speaker 7: The wound doctor, I'm afraid.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a nasty one, deep and infected. Who did the surgery on him? Surgery probed for the bullets?
Speaker 6: Bullet?
Speaker 7: There was no bullet. He was injured while splicing a backstay with a marlin spike. He was what you see. He was carrying the marlin spike in his hand when Felix had to come about unexpectedly. It threw them off balance and he fell.
Speaker 4: Hand me, my bag, what's the matter. You're like a parrot. I used to own your seat. Talk is too glib.
Speaker 7: It's the truth.
Speaker 4: I've dug out too many bullets not to recognize the kind of mess they make.
Speaker 7: It was a Marlin spike.
Speaker 4: Yes, well you can yell Marlin Spike all the way to Havana, but it isn't going to change my report. Report. No, no bullet, Marlin spike back. This won't hurt. Just a hypodermy no, no, no, no, dop on it. But I've got to probe. You can't take it if you're conscious. No anesthetic, honey, Randy, doctor, give him the anesthetic you'd like, That wouldn't just if you're.
Speaker 7: Out of your mind, Joseph. I just want to save you the pain in the doc.
Speaker 4: Get him, brandy, doctor, it's his body. If that's what he wants, that's the way he'll have it. Now get the brandy, Thank you, and doctor.
Speaker 8: Yes, send Stephanie away, don't honor around me.
Speaker 4: She went away, but she didn't like it, and I got to work. The old man didn't say a word all the time I probed. He just moaned and gritted his teeth. I found the bullet, all right, and then I powdered the wound with sulfur and bandaged it. I could see I'd have my hands full just to keep him together until we got to Havana. For the next couple of hours, I was pretty busy, and it was well after ten o'clock when I thought it was safe to leave him and go up on deck to catch a smoke. Halfway up the companion way, I ran into Felix Rouge on his way down. I hadn't got a good look at him when I first came aboard, but now I did heavy, dark, bony face with a black mole on his cheek, fine flannel slacks rolled to his knees, and for a belt a gaudy nectar. Against the polished brass antique deck of the schooner, he was as incongruous as a herring and caviare.
Speaker 6: Oh, doc has the old boys. They're gonna kick off.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I think he's gonna be all right.
Speaker 6: You think, or do you know?
Speaker 4: I'm only a doctor. I've done everything I can for it. Yeah, wait a minute, where are you going?
Speaker 6: I want to say him, I gotta talk to it.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't advise it.
Speaker 1: That's one of you giving the orders around he since I came aboard.
Speaker 4: I don't want him disturbed. He needs to rest.
Speaker 1: You've got any objections if I get myself a cup of.
Speaker 4: Coffee, No, so long as you stay away from my patient.
Speaker 7: Oh, I didn't hear you come up.
Speaker 4: You handle a wheel like an old saw.
Speaker 7: I don't know much about it. I just do what feel it tells me. How's Joseph. You've been down there such a long time. I thought that many that he died. What a horrible thing to say, of course, not.
Speaker 4: Oh it's Joseph, your husband.
Speaker 7: No, I'm his secretary.
Speaker 4: Oh, then this is a business trip.
Speaker 7: In a way, doctor, What are you getting at?
Speaker 4: Did you shoot him?
Speaker 7: Why would I shoot him and then call for a doctor out here in the middle of the ocean.
Speaker 4: I don't know, And after tomorrow I won't care. You realize. Of course my report to the authorities in Havana will be according to my own findings.
Speaker 7: I suppose. So may I have a cigarette?
Speaker 4: Oh? Certainly here you are.
Speaker 7: Thank you. I have a life. I don't imagine there's any way of changing your mind, is there, doctor?
Speaker 4: This is a beautiful schooner belong to your boss. Yes, I wonder, uh, you mind if I take the wheel for a while. It's been a long time, so you know how Yeah, I used to back in Maine. All right, go ahead, Hm feels good. She sure handles like a dream mum humhm.
Speaker 7: Just as I thought, what's wrong, doctor.
Speaker 4: We're not headed for Havana. We're headed in the opposite direction. The sedan was racing along with sails full, but she wasn't sailing due east to Havana. The compass said she was sailing southwest, away from Havana, as fast as wind and sail could take her. I laid her on the starboard tack and started to bring her about. The sails bellied out, catching the wind as it shifted across the bow, and then as they started to fill away, the mainmast boom swung over. Just as I ducked to a bullet, A shot rang up. I put up my hand to steady myself against the main boom, and there in the wood, right where my head would have been if I hadn't ducked, was the bullet. Across the deck. Silhouetted in the light of the companion way, stood Felix, polishing his gun with a handkerchief.
Speaker 1: You shudn't tack doctor. When a man's cleaning his gun, cleaning.
Speaker 4: Your gun the dark in the middle of the night.
Speaker 6: I suppose it is dangerous. I say, you don't like our course.
Speaker 4: I was under the impression this craft was bound for a banner.
Speaker 6: That's right, dark way.
Speaker 4: And why are we sailing southwest?
Speaker 6: Southwest? That's a woman for you.
Speaker 1: I can't trust them behind the wheel of a car, and they're no better behind the wheel of a boat.
Speaker 7: Oh no, Felix, you don't blame me for that. I don't know anything about a course. I did what you told me.
Speaker 6: Why didn't you do it right?
Speaker 7: If I'm so incompetent, maybe you'd better handle it yourself. Maybe I will.
Speaker 4: As the Sidung pushed its way through the serenity of the night, carrying with it an incredible tension, I didn't know what their game was, the lies, the marlin spike, nocturnal gun cleaning, change of course, who they were, or what they meant to each other. But one thing was certain. I intended to get to Havana if it was the last thing I ever did, And to make sure it wasn't last thing. This was one night I wouldn't sleep. I went down to the old man's stateroom, where I'd left my bag to get some benzitory. While I was there, I checked on him, considering his age, he had a lot of stamina. He was sleeping quietly. He wouldn't need me. I opened the bag, took the tablets, and suddenly my hands stopped in mid air. My hypodermic needle, loaded with the anesthetic that Joseph had refused, was gone.
Speaker 2: In just a moment. We will return to escape, but first we keep reminding you that this fall you'll hear them all on CBS. But there's one Sunday night show that makes you think constantly that it's spring. It's the show that brings you the hilarious adventures of that capricious teenage charmer, Carlis Archer. Youth and love for the definite spring time madness well up in Carlus's adventures every Sunday night, bewitching, bothering and bewildering her parents, the neighbors, her teachers, and her boyfriends. For a show that's filled to the brim with charm and good humor and very funny adventure. Meet Carlis Archer every Sunday night on most of these same CBS Network stations to.
Speaker 6: Tune in this fall all the shows that.
Speaker 4: You love best of all.
Speaker 6: Listen carefully, here's the address.
Speaker 4: It's ees B.
Speaker 2: And now back to Escape and the second act of The Sure Thing.
Speaker 4: My hypodermic needle, loaded with the anesthetic that Joseph had refused, was gone. I try the bag apart, took everything out, but it wasn't there. It wasn't anywhere in the stateroom. One of them had stolen. Why do you use on the old man on me? I went back up on deck. Felix was at the wheel. I knew it was futile to ask him if he'd taken my leedle.
Speaker 1: What's the matter? Can't you sleep? Or are you're still worried about the course? He was sailing due east.
Speaker 4: Very commendable, mind if I take the wheel awhile.
Speaker 1: Now I don't mind at all, but keep a due east doctor. I want to get to Havana. I watched his truculent broad back as he moved across the deck and disappeared below. The moon was as bright as day and as reassuring. It drove the worry of the missing hypodermic needle away from the front of my mind. It was good to be alone, to feel the sure, swiftness of the boat under my feet.
Speaker 4: This was something to cling to. This was reality. Every knot closer to Havannah. The sail swung out, covering the moon, throwing everything into blackness. That's why I didn't realize at first any one was approaching. Until I saw the glow of the cigarette. I tensed myself. My hand clutched at something in the cockpit was a wrench. The cigarette moved closer. I waited, The sail bellowed back, and I saw her full in the moonlight. There was strength and defiance, and the way she held her footing against the wind, but there was no defiance in her voice.
Speaker 7: I have to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Don't go ahead, talk.
Speaker 7: I'm afraid I haven't been very honest with you.
Speaker 4: N I'm afraid you haven't.
Speaker 7: I lied to you, and I realize now how foolish it was. But doctor, I'm afraid of Felix.
Speaker 4: Are you trying to tell me it was Felix who shot the old man?
Speaker 7: Yes, and he made me lie about it like.
Speaker 4: You lied about the course.
Speaker 7: You'll never get to Havannah. He's letting you think that you're getting there now. But he'll figure out something.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he will if that target practice a few moments ago was any simple.
Speaker 7: Oh, he wasn't trying to kill you. Felix wouldn't kill you now, not as long as Joseph needs you. Uh, I mean, you know.
Speaker 4: You're not making sense again. Felix wants me to keep Joseph alive, And yet Felix shot Joseph.
Speaker 7: It was just in a fit of anger, an argument. Felix has a terrible temper. Why he'd be a fool to kill Joseph?
Speaker 4: What makes Joseph so valuable? Hm?
Speaker 7: I suppose I should tell you all of it.
Speaker 4: It might be a good idea.
Speaker 7: I told you the truth about one thing. At least I am his secretary. Only his name isn't just Joseph. It's Joseph Ingram.
Speaker 4: Ingram, No wonder his face was familiar. He's he's the big aviation tycoon. Yet but look Ingram was killed two weeks ago. I read about it in the papers. A transcontinental airplane crashed into a mountain.
Speaker 7: Yes, even fate works for him. We were on our way to Washington, he'd been subpoena to have his war contracts investigated. All the public was really worked up about it. He was a cinch to be indicted. Why even his own wife left him after twenty years of marriage. But as luck would have it, we got off the plane at Albuquerque to hands raw wire from his attorneys.
Speaker 4: But the radio and the newspapers obituaried him. Today, I know.
Speaker 7: That's how things happened for him. Apparently there there was just no record of us leaving the plane, and they only found half the survivors, and some of those they couldn't identify him. Now go on, Well, when Joseph realized that he was officially dead, he saw the way out. He phoned Felix in Florida to have the sitting ready, and we took a train down and border her there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see, but I don't want.
Speaker 7: Why do you think I'm on this boat? Do you think I wanted to come? Do you think I wanted to leave my whole life behind? I was forced to come. I was the only one who knew that Joseph was still alive.
Speaker 4: And now you know what about Felix or Felix.
Speaker 7: Does odd job as it were, for Joseph. Joseph owns Felix's body and soul, just as he owns everyone.
Speaker 4: Who works for him, and you. I was ambitious.
Speaker 7: I order hate Joseph, but it's not his fault. I saw a chance to go further with him than with any other man. Only i'd known how it would end, running away from everything, always to be afraid.
Speaker 4: Well, if that's it, then I was wrong. Then maybe the needle isn't meant for Joseph. Needle What needle? The hypodermic needle loaded with anesthetic? It's missing from my bag. If it isn't meant for Joseph, for me, it's meant for you.
Speaker 7: No, oh, no, he can't.
Speaker 4: He wouldn't be afraid. We'll have to be more realistic, if you'll forgive the pun. I'm afraid we're both in the same boat.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: There was desperation on her face, and I felt sorry for her. She was in this mess up to her neck, and she was afraid, And yet it was good having her beside me there in the cockpit. It was pleasant to be with her, just the two of us, and the moon and the sea. Well, anyway, the hypodermic needle was the farthest thing from my mind when I took her in my arms, and then it happened. I felt the stinger that pierced my flesh. The needle.
Speaker 7: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: The needle? You stuck me with it?
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm sorry. It was just my broach. It's always coming.
Speaker 4: Open and broachure, I thought.
Speaker 7: Silly the fashment volume, Will you please?
Speaker 4: Sure? Yes, of course, Well your shake looks that missing hypodermic. It tas me rattled. I've got to get it back. You'll get it back, yes, but when?
Speaker 6: How?
Speaker 7: Right? Now? Doctor? Like this?
Speaker 4: She used the needle defintely and one motion plunged it in my arm. I tried to struggle to my feet. Her face was mocking me. I grabbed for her, but the drug was warm and deadening, and after a blurred moment, I was gone.
Speaker 7: You me.
Speaker 4: I could hear them from a long ways off. I came too slowly, and I lay there listening.
Speaker 7: I only did what you told.
Speaker 4: Me to do.
Speaker 7: You're the one who's blunkled you.
Speaker 4: But you were both standing over me, working on me, doing everything they could to bring.
Speaker 7: Me to Now you've spoiled everything. Why did you have to rush things.
Speaker 6: You want to know where the money is, don't you.
Speaker 7: Well you haven't found out now, Maybe you won't if you'd left Joseph alone. But no, no, you couldn't wait as soon as the doctor was unconscious of how to work him over. If Joseph dies out, we'll never find out where he hit it.
Speaker 6: It's on this boat. I know that. And I didn't hurt him, just pushed him around a little.
Speaker 7: Oh that's you for temper of yours, that awful impatience. You'd think you could have waited for two million dollars.
Speaker 4: Two million dollars. Now it began to make some sense. Now everything made sense. As long as Joseph needed a doctor and wouldn't tell where the money was, we both lived. But if I couldn't keep him alive.
Speaker 1: Get on your feet, duck, Come on, come on, doc, get on your feet. Since what are you getting so touching?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 4: Come on, come on, all right, all right, I'm on my feet.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, Doc. Now get below the old man Major. He's had a relapse. Stephanie, take the wheel, I said, get below.
Speaker 6: Doc.
Speaker 4: Not in the mood to take orders.
Speaker 6: Maybe this will put you in the mood.
Speaker 4: Creased my chin with a short jab. My knees buckled. I swung at him and missed. I saw another one coming, and this time I ducked and connected with a round house on the side of his head that sent him reeling along the wet narrow deck. I started after him, just as the boat came about, violently heeling over with her scuppers a watch. I wildly grabbed a guyline, just in time to see Felix lying backwards into the sea. I whipped around. The girl had done it, spinning the wheel like crazy. I dashed back to the cuckpit and tried to grab it away from it. She fought me like a tiger, but I finally pushed her off right at the boat and put her about. But Felix was nowhere in sight. We tacked around searching for him, but it was useless. Hell, he's gone. You killed him.
Speaker 7: It was an accident. You ought to be glad he's gone. Why, Well, it was either him or you.
Speaker 4: Your concern touches me.
Speaker 7: Besides, we don't need him, don't you see. You know how to handle a boat, and you're a doctor. You can keep Joseph alive until we make him talk. And when we find out where his money is. We can get rid of him.
Speaker 4: And sail away into the sunset.
Speaker 7: That's right, just you and me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no thanks, I'll play out the original hand in Havana.
Speaker 7: I don't think so, doctor. I'm setting the course now, and if you're interested, I'm a much better shot than Felix. I won't hit the boom.
Speaker 4: The gun glittered in the moonlight, and she was smiling at me. But I wasn't looking at her, but beyond her. At first I wasn't sure. I just sensed the movement, and then I saw him, Joseph Ingram, barefooted and in pajamas, pulling himself painfully up the companionway, forcing his body to make the effort.
Speaker 8: Joseph, you you wanted too much stuff me my money, and Felix is you.
Speaker 7: Felix is gone. He had an accident like mine.
Speaker 4: I saw.
Speaker 8: If p only I hadn't been so greedy, if only had waited, you'd have gotten your share.
Speaker 7: Joseph, you're sick.
Speaker 4: You are such fools.
Speaker 8: In the heel of my shoe, there's a draft on the national Bank in Venezuela for two million dollars payable to bear.
Speaker 7: So that's where it is thank you, Joseph. That's very generous of you.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been watching a bullet in the stomach. Yet he kept coming at her, lumbering barefooted across the deck like a wounded bear and blue silk pajamas. Hack so easy, backed the way everything's done. He kept coming, Hack Try. She was at the edge of the deck as he clapsed against her, his heavy arms and a death grip around her, and like a cartwheel they spun together over the side into.
Speaker 7: The inky blackness of the sea.
Speaker 4: Two million dollars in the heel of a shoe. It was in the heel of the shoe, all right. I went below and found it just a piece of paper that three people had died over, two million dollars, satified backwards and forwards, payable to bearer. In just a few hours it would be daylight. I could be in Havana by noon, Back to the martina, back to the dispensary, back to the endless round of seasick pills, hangover remedies, and when I'm lucky, maybe a sprained ankle or venezuela. The choice was simple. There was no risk at tall, twas a cinch. It was a sure thing. It was payable to bearer.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, Senor. I'm sorry I have kept you waiting. You presented this bank draft for payments in.
Speaker 4: Your yes, are you, Senor parents That is right. I'm the president of the bank. This draft. It is quite a large sum. There's nothing wrong with the draft, is there? No, Senor, it is not good.
Speaker 3: And you wish us to transfer this money to your bank in the United States.
Speaker 4: No, No, As a matter of fact, I wish to open an account here. But certainly come as you will make the arrangements for the senor. Senor Perris at once.
Speaker 3: And now there is a lady, a country woman of yours, waiting to see you.
Speaker 4: Please step this way, Senor, to see me. But who Joseph?
Speaker 9: I've been waiting solo, Senor Perez. Is this the man who presented the draft for payment? But he isn't. Then what's happened to Joseph?
Speaker 4: Who Joseph Ingram? Of course, sen Your Perez. Who is this woman? What is she doing here?
Speaker 9: I heard the Sidnate come in this morning with only one person aboard, so I rushed right here to the bank. But you've cashed the draft.
Speaker 4: What have you done?
Speaker 7: Killed Joseph for it?
Speaker 4: Look, madam, I I don't know what you're talking about. Just who are you anyway?
Speaker 9: I'm Joseph Ingram's wife.
Speaker 4: This is Ingram. But then, surely you know he died in that plane crash back in the States.
Speaker 6: He didn't.
Speaker 4: And you know it.
Speaker 9: Joseph wasn't on that plane.
Speaker 7: He bought the Sydnon in Florida.
Speaker 4: Now look, madam, all the news.
Speaker 9: Joseph and I planned the whole thing. Those highly publicized statements about our divorce were just to cover up. He was to meet me here with the money, and I know he would have if he were still alive. Senor Praiers, will.
Speaker 7: You call the police. I accuse this man of murdering my husband.
Speaker 4: I didn't kill him. She killed him. She Stephanie, his secretary.
Speaker 7: And where is she?
Speaker 4: She's dead too, he killed her.
Speaker 9: That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 7: Where's Felix Rouge?
Speaker 4: You see Felix? He was killed when he yes? Well, you see, it was like I stopped. They were staring at me. They didn't believe me. Of course, who would ever believe me? But it seemed like such a sure thing, and it was murder Payable to Bearer.
Speaker 2: Escape is produced and directed by William N. Robeson to night, we have presented The Sure Thing by John and Gwen Magny. Featured in the cast were John Hoyt is the Doctor, Bill Conrad is Filix Rouge, Fay Baker as Stephanie, and Ian Wolfe as Joseph Ingram. Also heard were Don Diamond, Ted Decarcia and Sarah Selby. Special music was arranged and conducted by Del Castillo.
Speaker 6: Next week.
Speaker 1: You within a few days of your release after eight years of horror on the prison island of New Caledonia. But between you and final freedom stands the love of a beautiful girl and the monstrous figure of Monsieur Danieux, the official executioner.
Speaker 2: Next week we Escape with John Russell's terrifying story The Red Mark.
Speaker 6: Good Night.
Speaker 2: Then until the same time next week, when once again we offer you Escape. A whole family of top Hollywood stars waits to entertain your family. Every Sunday on CBS. It's on the Family Hour of Stars. Heard over most of these same CBS stations, a half hour of top entertainment, romance, comedy or drama starring Irene Dunn, Ronald Coleman, Loretta Young, Dana Andrews, Kirk Douglas, and Jane Wyman. In turn, your whole family will enjoy the Family Hour of Stars Sunday on CBS, where this fall you'll hear them all. Stay tuned now for Sing It Again, which follows immediately over most of the same CBS stations. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System