Speaker 1: La Joya Cosmetic Surgery Center is the place to go if you're looking to rejuvenate your appearance, tighten and shape your body, and just just something special for yourself. You deserve to look your very best.
Speaker 2: Lahoya Cosmetic Surgery Center offers over ninety procedures and treatments for a natural, youthful appearance. They are absolutely the best in the business. Try out their treatment planner at glamfam dot com. It's so easy and amazing to use.
Speaker 1: We can't say enough great things about their board certified plastic surgeons. And guess what they offer flexible payment plans so you can start your journey to a better you right now.
Speaker 2: Free consultations too. The very best in the business is in our own backyard. How lucky are we?
Speaker 1: Make sure you tell them that Laura Kane after Dark sent you We love everything about La Joya Cosmetic Surgery Center.
Speaker 2: Go to glamfam dot com.
Speaker 1: Hello, every Welcome to Laura Kane after Dark. I am a Laura Kane and this is my fabulous co host, Eric Rimmer. Eric Edward Rimmer.
Speaker 2: Thank you for spelling that all out for everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, at least I remembered your middle name and your birthday January eighth, when you didn't thank you, find you're welcome because because of yes last week's debacle and producer Brian High, I'm never going to live that down. You're never going to live that down ever.
Speaker 2: Uh never.
Speaker 1: So okay, first of all, what up with the world?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Is this climate change? Is this like or think? What are we going to explode here any moment? We last year we had floods, this year red flag warning and fires. Now that I have my little job in the newsroom, the Coco newsroom, all it was last week fire fire, fire, fire, fire fire. It was so scary, it.
Speaker 2: Was so weird. I was at work and people kept calling and they're like, are we supposed to evacuate? And I'm like what are you talking?
Speaker 1: Oh yeahuse that was the Fashion Valley.
Speaker 2: Fire, yes, and so I was like, no, what and they're like the canyons on fire and I'm like what canyon? Like there's canyons everywhere and they're like, oh, it's a fashion valley and I'm like no, We're okay. And everybody was like how are you so calm? And I'm looking, I've lived here my whole life, like RIGHTVI GE's bad. I'm sure it'll they got it out in an hour or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But the one that was really scary was the one at the border. It's a border to fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean my friends Dave and Jeff who have the Dave and Jeff's shore.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He Dave lives in East Lake and he was posting these incredible photos. They were just like the fire was right behind his walls. Was scary, and they were getting ready to evacuate, they were getting the dog ready and it was just really scary. My friend Tanya too, and so so there was that. Then Friday, I was I filled in for somebody who does traffic in the morning and there was a fire that started on the fifty two and the eight oh five. So every little fire that was starting, like, we were on it and we're scared because the winds were so bad. So it was on a system called the cat. We have a hp CAT where the chp enters codes and the codes mean different things, and so we decipher the codes and we explain you know, accidents, incidents, things on the roadway. Well I read through they have like this paragraph like so and so's unit is on the scene. So number one lane is blocked, so they have like kind of sentences. So I was looking down through the incident and at the very bottom it said, uh, reporting party says he saw meteor fall from the sky and start the fire on the fifty two and the eight oh five.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wait what?
Speaker 1: And so I reported that because it was on the CHP official CAD system, you know, And so that started a crazy amount of talk, like people are like, oh my god, I saw it too. But there was a SpaceX launch that same morning, and somebody said that they never launch over land. They always launch over water, so it couldn't have been space debris from that particular thing. But we don't know if that was caused by a meteor. I mean, you think somebody flicking a cig out of their car, somebody lighting an encampment fires, somebody setting it on purpose, a car backfiring. It could be multiple things, but a meteor. So that was pretty exciting, but not exciting because it was scary.
Speaker 2: And now it's raining.
Speaker 1: But we have somebody that just celebrated a very ominous anniversary. Last week, the twenty second of January tw twenty four, we were dealing with massive flooding. Yes, remember all those people whose homes were completely destroyed. We have on the show tonight Lorena Montes and she is a survivor of those floods. And when I got to talk to her, she's also the development director for a foundation called the Foundation for the Children of the Californias, and she and her foundation help the only pediatric hospital in Tijuana and they work in conjunction with Rady Children's Hospital in some ways. So she's going to talk about the foundation and how important it is for you know, our kids, just kids in general, and what they need and stuff. And so she's going to be so interesting. I can't wait to talk to her too. But that's going to be after your dirt and after some other things that we're gonna do. I finished my lego bouquet. Thank you very much. It was very fun. I've been wanting to and needing to de stress and that really helped great. I know it's totally gonna get dusty, but it'll never die.
Speaker 2: It'll never die, but pieces will get so heavy with dust that they will just fall off.
Speaker 1: Do you want to see my newest project.
Speaker 2: Which is not I don't know if I can handle it.
Speaker 1: It's almost done. It's for Charlie and his wife. I don't know if I'm gonna make it into a picture or into a pillow. It's my first time ever doing needle point.
Speaker 3: Are you doing like an embroidery?
Speaker 1: Don't give me shade right off the bat.
Speaker 3: That was snark.
Speaker 1: It's needle point. I know I'm not eighty five years old, but that doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It could have fooled me.
Speaker 1: So this is it.
Speaker 2: Oh, what a good job I'm doing?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: Did a really nice job.
Speaker 1: Look at that, Like, there's all sorts of different stitches you have to learn how to make.
Speaker 2: Like you have to say, I'm impressed.
Speaker 1: Now, don't look at the back of it. It is a disaster. But like you have to make this certain circular one, and then there's a French one, and then there's a whip stitch, and then.
Speaker 2: There's you've never done this before.
Speaker 1: No, I just followed instructions and watched.
Speaker 2: You follow instructions really well. Do you know what it would look like if I tried to do that.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you it distresses me so much. And this has been last week was crazy, maybe one of the craziest weeks of my life for various reasons.
Speaker 3: You should do a pillow. Next it says like Grandma's house or something, bless.
Speaker 1: This mess, bless this needle point, bless this mess, butting or I hate housework. My mom had a sign that said I hate housework.
Speaker 2: You could you could make me one that says like the honeydo list.
Speaker 1: You know, a needle point honey do list.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, And you know what, even if I did make you a needle point to say I made you a needle point Madonna portrait, would you even display that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Know, see, I knew it.
Speaker 2: My house looks like a.
Speaker 1: Museum, and you're saying that the quality of my work is not museum quality.
Speaker 2: You know, the quality of your work is very, very nice. I just won't have anything embroidered anywhere in my house.
Speaker 1: Anything homemade is what you Okay? And I also have a story about the text message I accidentally sent to the dog rumor instead of.
Speaker 2: Oh instead two my mom oh boy.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't a good one. And so I want to know if you guys have something similar like that. Everybody has that look at me.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's talk about Dune jewelry. Let's our advertiser who we love talking about and love them. They Dunejewelry dot com. Check it out online. They make custom quality jewelry that is the kind of jewelry that you can hand down through the generations. I sent my ashes into Dune because they make jewely with ashes, with sand, with elements, with flowers, with crystals, anything, and you can custom design it and they walk you through the process. It's just really cool. So my mom, my sister, my niece, and my daughter all got their pieces and they were so excited. So I printed them out and look what it came with. Okay, so that was for my niece. It is that's my dad's ashes mixed with some crystals, white crystals, and they put in their in loving memory of David ray Heater. Isn't that so sweete because that's him and so she already has it on. That's my nieces. This is Evans. Evans is a little like Wave. Hers has my dad's ashes, a baloney and sand from San Diego. How special? She goes, Look, she goes, I'm literally crying when I open this. That's what she said. I don't know if that's the exact wording. This is my mom's. It's a bracelet and it has the same like abaloney, and it has my dad's ashes, it has some white crystal. It's just absolutely beautiful. And then my sister got this ring. And see how many like little circles there are, sea glass, white crystal, red rose dirt from the Rocky Mountains and my dad's ashes.
Speaker 2: It's really pretty.
Speaker 1: She said, I'm never taking this off. That's the kind of jewelry that Dune Jewelry makes, and those are the kind of reactions you're gonna get when you buy a piece for somebody else or yourself. You're gonna love it. And you're gonna love this even more. If you go to Dunejewelry dot com and you check out, make sure you put in the promo.
Speaker 2: Code Laura Caane fifteen.
Speaker 1: For fifteen percent off your order and makes a big difference. And I would We can't recommend this company enough. I Oh my god, I love my ring. I wear it all the time and I can't wait to order my dad ash necklace. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Okay, So.
Speaker 1: I was having quite the week. My mom texted me and she said, Nanny. She calls me nanny nanny, just checking on you, seeing how you're doing. I quickly wrote back, OHMG, I'm completely losing it. I'm a mess. Unfortunately, the text message went to Bestie's dog grooming, where had just picked up Elvis. So they get this random text from a customer this is oh MG, I'm losing it. I'm a mess, and they I went, oh, and this happened to me. Another notable time when this happened to me was a while ago. A girl that I went to rehab with. She we were in communication and she said, oh, I'm going to a kid's birthday party, and I texted her back, who's But instead I accidentally texted back horror. She's like just the word whore after that, like I'm going to a kid's birthday party? Or oh my god, I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry. I freaking spell check. And you always got to be aware of who you're texting. Oh my god, I know, has that ever happened to you? Oh yeah, okay, what happened?
Speaker 2: So I'm in property management, So this was a couple of years ago and we were going to this We would have these meetings that we would have to attend, you know, with like city council members and stuff like that where they tell you new laws and stuff like that. So before it started, they would have like a little cocktail hour or whatever, and you could get sodas or drinks and they'd have or derbs and stuff. And a friend of mine that was new to property management was going and he said, is do I need to bring anything? And I was like, no, there's going to be snacks and food or snacks and booze is what I said. And he came back with, wow, that sounds like some party. And I'm like, what do you mean? And I look back at my text and spell check change snacks to anal.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, it wasn't spell shack.
Speaker 2: God. I was like, how on earth I've never used that word in a text in my life. That's possible that just I was like, there'll be anal and booze. I was like, that's great.
Speaker 3: Out of seriously, I was like, he was just texting the wrong person.
Speaker 1: Happened to you, Brian?
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, shoot, it's not Saturday. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: You've never accidentally sent the wrong text to somebody You've never sent like.
Speaker 3: No, I'm very careful. Also, it's not that hard to text back the right person.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're in a hurry and you're you got your mind on fifty other things, it's not that hard.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you know some of the pictures that I send you sometimes just to get your goat.
Speaker 1: You have back down on the throw up, and I appreciate I have.
Speaker 2: But this was a hundred times worse. And I sent it to the wrong person.
Speaker 1: Ooh, the anal thing or another thing.
Speaker 2: No, this was a whole nother thing.
Speaker 1: Wait, this was a video meant for me?
Speaker 2: No it was no, it was a It was a picture meant for a friend. What like we send each other like the gross of stuff, and I accidentally sent the picture to somebody else?
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah was it? Did it have to do with like eecal matters?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Oh no?
Speaker 2: What was I born in a barn?
Speaker 1: Hello? The last video you sent me was like the family guy with like.
Speaker 2: That was funny. That was a cartoon that was different. That was hard. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's do your fabulous cue the music please for a lot double D news.
Speaker 2: There's a lot. Okay, So I think what I'm gonna do with the Oh, and I have big news about well, I'm going to tell you the Oscar nominations came out because they came out late, okay, because of the fire is and everything. And then we have the Razzie nominations, which are good. I'm going to the Academy Awards.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to tell them you're friends with Laura.
Speaker 2: That'll sing my ship. I've been so don't screw it up for me.
Speaker 3: You get to bring people.
Speaker 2: No, I'm styling somebody.
Speaker 3: Who are you styling?
Speaker 2: Don't know yet. I won't know until forty eight hours ahead of time.
Speaker 1: But do you get to stay?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm staying. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you need an assistant that doesn't know anything about styling that's not Laura Kane because she's been banned.
Speaker 1: Do you okay, when you do your job and you are styling this person, do you have to stay with the person the whole time? Yes, to make sure that you know this piece of thread is not showing or whatever. Yeah, So you're not waiting in the wings or do you wait? Do you sit in a seat or do.
Speaker 2: You wait off? It just depends like if they're gonna it, well you will. You've never styled before.
Speaker 1: I've never styled before, but I've actually been in the seat. It's okay.
Speaker 2: They'll say, you know, oh, just go hang out or go do whatever, because I'm gonna go and then leave or and then I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: You're probably gonna be on the red carpet too, for sure? Are you going to dress in a tuxt?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna dress in a suit. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Can we do a watch party of the cameo ward to see if we can spot him?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that would be great. That'd be funny.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, how fun? Okay, when are you gonna find like how far in advance?
Speaker 2: Well, they're on the second of March, so i'll know a couple of days ahead of time.
Speaker 1: Only a couple of days. That's that's uh.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell as much as I can tell.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me ask you this after the event. Are you allowed to say who it was?
Speaker 2: That is?
Speaker 1: Like an NBA?
Speaker 2: That's what I'll find out. Sometimes you have to sign an NDA.
Speaker 1: So I'll oh, I hope it is a celebrity that is just super diva is.
Speaker 2: No, I've never had troublesome. No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: For stories, yea, for a story.
Speaker 2: Story, I'm I was hoping it would be Demi Moore, but it's not.
Speaker 3: She has get like Lake Lively.
Speaker 2: God no, please help me. I was gonna say no.
Speaker 3: I'm still on their side with this only because oh.
Speaker 2: No, we're going to talk about that. Oh it's getting so chess.
Speaker 1: I just saw a reel about all the women who actresses who hate Blake Lively. Oh yeah, she's not well liked by a lot of people, including her former Gossip Girls co star Leyton, the.
Speaker 3: People she outgrew because they're still stuck on Gossip Johansson. I don't like Scarlett I do.
Speaker 1: Oh why not?
Speaker 3: No reason, I just don't care for anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what are you going to start with?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're going to start with a Blake Lively thing. Okay. So she went to the judge because now she's freaking out because Justin Baldoni has provided three different reels of just footage that they used for like a montage of like when they did you see the movie?
Speaker 1: I didn't see the movie, but I think I saw a piece of this. It's it's like that. It was just like y roll type scene.
Speaker 2: He had a mic on and she didn't realize it was on and so there's three different scenes where she's accused him of something, but it's blatant that he didn't do anything on the mic, right, So she said that in one particular scene that they were rehearsing, he like nuzzled her neck and tried to kiss her and no, And so what it shows is they're shooting this b roll and it's stuff for did you see the movie? Okay, So they're in a bar and they're just getting to know each other and he says to her, you know, because when you shoot these be reels, you're not just gonna sit there and stare at each other. You talk about something, and so it's not uncomfortable. So he says to her, oh, you know, they're going in. They're dancing, and he says, I hope my beard doesn't scratch you. And she said, well, I hope my spray tand doesn't come off on you, and he goes, no, it smells fine. She goes, oh, that's my body makeup, and then she says, you know, you really need to do something with your nose.
Speaker 1: You can hear her saying that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she.
Speaker 3: Says it flat out, I think because it was poking her and he says, well, that's she goes, you need to just take like a medical leave and go get that taken care of. She said that, Okay, I have seen the clip. I think that was pretty clearly a joke. Though there was a lot of banter. There's nothing inating, No, But what she's oh, I think so, because when she's doing is painting him as a total psychopath. Well, I just want to point out that this all started when she did send him in this production car or his management a like you know, a letter saying hey, this is stuff that's happened. That's not cool, and they agreed to it and they said, sorry, we'll work on this. Like there's already been some admittance of guilt from when I write.
Speaker 2: But then what they did, what she and her husband did, is they sold the story to the New York Times, and the New York Times edited the text messages, so there was editing going on. He and his attorneys and the production company provided everything unedited. And it doesn't back up what she's saying at all.
Speaker 1: So is she suing him?
Speaker 2: Is he suing each other?
Speaker 1: They're suing each other?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, and I believe him. I at first was on her side. But now after you see all this, it's not cool if that's what she's doing because it's setting women back. So it's setting people back to say, oh, well, you know, if she's going to do it, and they're comparing her now to Amber heard her yea, so good? Not so good because he released all that camera footage of her like slapping him and stuff like that that she didn't know existed. Yeah, so it's going to be interesting to see how this So when when she found out that all this existed, Blake Lively, she tried to put a gag order on Baldoni and his attorney so that they couldn't submit it, and the judge said no, sorry, sorry, Yeah, so it would be interesting. So my songs just Carrie Underwood.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I heard she had a moment. She had a moment.
Speaker 2: At what happened. So they moved her the venue inside because of the rain and the cold weather and everything. So she went from it being a large venue to which I think she's used to playing, to a very small thing with everybody crowded around her. And they had technical difficulties as far as like music and sound. So she sang at a cappella and she did a very nice job.
Speaker 1: Was she supposed to have music in the background, Oh, yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Did, but then they said she had she was dissatisfied with the performance. Those are in hers said she handled it well. There was rumors that she had a hissy hit and stuff, but she was just like, I wish I would have known that this is what they were going to do, but she found out at the last minute.
Speaker 1: Well they they probably didn't know if they had to move it insidecause it was going to be so freaking cold. Yeah, she just needed to roll with the punches, which it sounded like she did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, people have come down on her, but she is literally not said anything about her political affiliation or anything. And she was, you know, She's like, I love this country and I'm gonna sing and that's it.
Speaker 1: You will always stick up for your songstress. Oh you you're your face? You're number one? Is that your number one songstress?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Kylie Minogue? No Madonna?
Speaker 2: I do love my Madonna?
Speaker 1: Who number one?
Speaker 2: Excellin Deonto? I like them all share probably share, Okay, Yeah, everybody buckle up next flip. Netflix is getting more expensive again, already canceled it. It's going from fifteen forty nine to seventeen ninety nine. A mine, that's for the base, Like, that's for the base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not even the sharing thing.
Speaker 3: I was going to twenty five.
Speaker 2: The premium plan which I have is twenty two ninety nine. It's going to twenty four ninety nine. Yeah, so there better not be any fricking commercials.
Speaker 1: No, it's like you gets it because I share it, like Evan uses it, and Charlie uses it, and I use it and that some and so does Antonio. So when there have been a couple of times when I've wanted to watch something really bad, like the New Squid Games, and it says sorry unavailable, I'm like, turns out Charlie and Maya turned on Netflix for their dog and left so they could go like on a date, so I couldn't watch my Netflix. The dog was watching Netflix.
Speaker 2: I was so madded.
Speaker 1: Oh, all all these thoughts were taken. But you know what, I'm kind of like annoyed by all the content. I mean, there's a lot of content on Netflix, but it's all dubbed so poorly, Like it's a lot of it is foreign, and they dub over the English voices, so it bothers me.
Speaker 3: What do you want them to do?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe don't you volunteer to go for anybody?
Speaker 1: I should just I should just read the subtitles.
Speaker 3: But it's also only like the Korean for example, shows that are in Korean.
Speaker 1: No, there's a whole bunch of them.
Speaker 3: There's there's there's a lot, a lot of different ones, right, all their foreign stuff. They have plenty of domestic stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what when are we going to talk about that movie that's not on Netflix that's on Amazon Prime?
Speaker 2: Which one when you told me to watch? Which one? Was that?
Speaker 1: Blink?
Speaker 2: Always God?
Speaker 1: Channing Tatum dude, psychological thriller?
Speaker 2: It was like crazy, it was insane. Yeah, it's a good, really really good.
Speaker 1: You're gonna yeah if you like that kind of dark.
Speaker 2: I usually I can figure things out. I don't know where I know. I know it's very very good. It's kind of.
Speaker 1: Fancying him play a bad guy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So that's on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: Did you hear he is allegedly bisexual?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah allegedly.
Speaker 2: I know. I just ordered a shirt that says allegedly okay, so I can wear it all the time. Yeah, do you remember Billy Rayayris. I honestly did not even know he was still alone.
Speaker 1: I have achy breaky hut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought he passed away. No, Miley's dad, Yeah, I wow, his adopted son Trace, So I guess he Billy race Iris saying something for you know who and it was a disaster.
Speaker 1: You know who?
Speaker 3: Yeah, his favorite.
Speaker 1: I can't Oh, oh okay, so Billy okay?
Speaker 2: Inauguration Well, no, something I think prior to that, but I guess it was a colossal failure. So he had a train wreck cup of performance at the inauguration ball, and it caused many to speculate that something was wrong with his health. So his adopted son Trace posted a letter on Instagram to express this concern, which of course you do on social media to express your concern about a family member. Is a sober surprise. Surprise, he got mad and is threatening to sue his kid.
Speaker 1: Oh geez, well is he like in recovery? I don't remember.
Speaker 2: If I don't know, I didn't say, so, I have no idea. Always okay, So now we're going to get into the oscars and stuff. So the other night I watched the substance.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's gory, is all, get out of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you don't like vomiting, I do not.
Speaker 1: I am a vomit phobe.
Speaker 2: I am a tooth of phobe, and a fingernail of phobe and a needle of phobe. And this movie had all three things. I thought I was going to it's die. There are more needles in this movie than.
Speaker 1: Did you The Office? In general, I liked it up until the very end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought she did a great job. She did. She deserves an Oscar nomination and a very good job.
Speaker 1: Body they use for the young Demi Moore her button like that woman has like the best body on the planet.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, so you don't know who that is.
Speaker 2: She she's the daughter of was that actually her? Her? Her body? Of course, Wikipedia to everything saw it because she worked out for like months to get that body.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's since it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's got a great body.
Speaker 3: But if you I remember, she's been in a ton of stuff.
Speaker 2: She was in sane, almost fire. She was a model.
Speaker 1: I recognize her. Oh that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, Margaret Quality is Okay, the girl that plays the so if you haven't seen it, it's the director's first movie that she did was called Revenge, and it was really good. It was blood soaked as well. But she's very into like female empowerment and stuff, and so with this one in a nutshell, Demi Moore is an aging TV star. She gets fired and she goes to the doctor. She's in a car accident. She goes to the doctor and the nurse is like, hey, this worked for me, and he gives her a flash drive that says the substance on it, and she orders the thing and you inoculate yourself. And then every seven day her back literally splits open and she gives birth to like.
Speaker 1: A younger version version.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and it is.
Speaker 1: But every seven days you have to read, you have to switch bodies again.
Speaker 2: So the younger version is like, hey, I'm loving this hedonistic lifestyle and all this success that I'm getting. I'm gonna tweak it. And that's when all all break slough because you're not You're supposed to stick with the plan, and she doesn't stick with there's Demi up against. She is up against I will tell you in just a second. Okay, Okay, So she's nominated for a first time Oscar this year. That's great and she deserves it. She she does a great job in this movie.
Speaker 1: That makes me happy for women who are, you know, in their fifties. Yeah, make a kick and stretch and get Oscar nominations.
Speaker 2: Still, she's I believe sixty. Oh incredible. Yeah, she looks great.
Speaker 1: Didn't them Angelina Jolie get snubbed?
Speaker 2: She did for Maria that's it was a very good movie.
Speaker 1: I wonder where she got.
Speaker 3: I've heard a lot of people got snubbed because of who is getting the most awards for most nominations Amelia Perez who is in that.
Speaker 2: As Zoe Saldana Jomez, Yes, Selena Gomez.
Speaker 3: It's not super well received outside of just the critics seems really like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's like a musical drama. And I think it's regarding like a transgender woman.
Speaker 3: Cartel leader, carteli. It's a weird story. And I heard Mexico in particular has some problem as their community is having some serious issues with them.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard mixtrevis so I'm going to go. So it's the ninety seventh Academy Awards. It is what's his name that's hosting it. That Conan O'Brien. I'm just going to go over the basics because now there's so many Yeah, don't do screenplay, So best Picture, I've only heard of a couple of these. Aurora the Brutalist, a complete Unknown.
Speaker 1: That's the one with Timothy shalom es.
Speaker 2: Dune Part two, Amelia Perez, I'm Still Here, Nickel Boy's the Substance, Wicked directing Aurora the Brutalist, Complete Unknown, Amelia Press in the Substance.
Speaker 3: Dennis LLave got shafted on that for Best Director.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actress in the leading role Cynthia Rivo for Wicked, Carlos.
Speaker 1: Get an egot if she gets it, Oscar.
Speaker 2: Uh Carlo, Sophia Gascon for Amelia Perez, Mickey Madison for Aurora, Demi Moore for the Substance, and Fernando Torres for I'm Still Here. Actor in a leading role is Adrian Brody for The Brutalist, Timothy Chalomey for a complete Unknown, Coleman Domingo for sing Sing, Ralph Fines for Conclave, and Sebastian stand for the Apprentice. Actress in a supporting role Monica Barbaro for a complete unknown, Ariana Grande for Wicked, Felicity Jones the Brutalist, Isabella Rossolini for Conclave, Zoey's Aldana for Amelia Prez, and actor in a supporting role is Eura Boriso for Aurora. Kieran Culkin a real pain.
Speaker 1: Oh I saw that that was really good?
Speaker 2: Was it because like Prime or something else? Edward Norton for a complete unknown, Guy Pierce for the Brutalist, and Jeremy Strong for The Apprentice.
Speaker 1: Is a complete unknown out yet.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. Yeah, and then there's you know, costume design and all that stuff. But I'll just go over the basics.
Speaker 3: Honestly, not that many great movies. I feel like in the Oscars this year, I.
Speaker 2: Was summarised with as gory as the substance was.
Speaker 3: Substance was really well received. I don't blame that one. Amelia Prez. I'm very surprised because that one, like the at least the audience scores on it is like really bad. Yeah, there's a lot of controversy with the Brutalist, but I've heard it's all right, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah if yes, and then there's some like Aurora. I've heard good things about.
Speaker 3: I've heard it's just it was a small movie that was very small.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The biggest thing is that Dennisville in the way of Knotting nominated for Best Director. Is crazy because.
Speaker 2: I one of my favorite movies is uh Prisoners.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's a great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Should I pay to see heretic? It's on, like you can rent it?
Speaker 3: Just wait, you might like it. Wait how much?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If it's like three bucks, you'll go for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three ninety nine.
Speaker 3: It's worth It's worth three bucks.
Speaker 2: The substance was worth five ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, okay, So now the Razzies they have us. They don't have an event for the Razzies.
Speaker 2: They do if they do, yes, and you can big. Actually you can actually pay an annual fee or a I believe it's a lifetime fee. Is five hundred.
Speaker 1: Did the celebrities go to get Sometimes?
Speaker 2: They do, not very often. I think one year Gina Davis was nominated for like some Cutthroat Island or something, and she came in person to pick up.
Speaker 3: I would go to every single why totally, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I absolutely would. So with the Razzies, the joker leads the pack by seven nominations, Borderlands six and Madam Webb six. Oh yeah, we get all of them. Way terrible. It was bad, so was well, I didn't even see it. It was so bad. Oh, by the way, Speak of the Joker. Lady Gaga, her new CD drops on March third, and it's called Maham and it's considered it's going to be a dark dance record whatever that means.
Speaker 1: Dark dancer.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that means, but we'll find out. So worst picture is Borderlins, Joker, folea do, Madame Webb, make Alopolis, which I've never heard of.
Speaker 3: That's uh, that's oh my god, what's his name? Apocalypse now Coppola. That's Francis Coppola's movie. That's his thing. That was that's his Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't make heads or tails.
Speaker 3: Of the of the I think I think it's something that might become a classic in like thirty years, just because it's so bad, No, just because it will be one of those things that's misunderstood.
Speaker 2: And Reagan Worst Actor, Jack black.
Speaker 1: Wade, Yeah, Dennis Quaid.
Speaker 3: Reagan's not popular anymore.
Speaker 2: Worst actor I think anything Jack Blackson would probably be Jack black okay, whatever for Dear Santa, Zachary Levi for Harold in the Purple Crayon.
Speaker 1: Oh, I still love that.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of that either. Joaquin Phoenix for Joker Joker fole Ad, Dennis Quaid for Reagan, and Jerry Seinfeld for Unfrosted. Did you see that on Netflix?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: So bad? Oh my god. If Joaquin is to win, he would be the first to have an oscar Anna Razzi for the same role.
Speaker 1: That is really great.
Speaker 3: They should give it to him then, just for.
Speaker 2: That worst actress Kate Blanchette for border Lands, Lady Gaga Joker fole Ado, Bryce Dallas Howard for Argyle, Dakota Johnson for Madam Webb, and Jennifer Lopez for Atlas. Did did you guys?
Speaker 3: At was awful? Our Yle was also awful.
Speaker 2: Atlas was though I didn't even finish it. It's literally Jennifer Lopez inside like a robot and it's just her face for the whole movie.
Speaker 1: No, I'm kind of like not on that.
Speaker 2: I think she's pretty, but I don't want to stare at her that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Go.
Speaker 2: We're supporting actor Jack Black for Borderland see I told you anything. He's in as bad what Kevin Hart for Borderland, Shi Lah Booth for Megalopolis to hear raheem from Madame Webb. John Voight really got the shaft Megalopolis, Reagan, Shadowland and Strangers. We're supporting actress Arianna Depoe's Argyle and Craven the Hunter Leslie. I'm down for Reagan, Emma Roberts for Madam Webb, Amy Schumer for Unfrosted Fka Twigs for the Crow.
Speaker 3: Okay, dude, Amy Schumer, I forgot. I haven't seen her in anything or even online in like half a decade at this point.
Speaker 1: What did I just read about her?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: Something?
Speaker 2: She's got a new well she had some health issues, yeah, something like, but now she's got a new.
Speaker 3: Movie coming out of where she didn't get canceled, but she got some flak and she had oh because she was recycling jokes, she was stealing the cardinal sin.
Speaker 2: Yes, a couple more things.
Speaker 1: Then we got to get Lorena.
Speaker 2: Yes. In regards to Lady Gaga, the song she did the collaboration called Die with a Smile, Yeah with Bruno Bruno Mars. It's the fastest song in history. One billion streams on Spotify. Really yeah. And then I did see another movie this weekend called Mother's Instinct. It's on Prime and Hulu and it's with Jessica Chastain and the girl from devil Ware's Product which one and Hathaway and they play There's a Death and they play bickering housewives.
Speaker 1: Is it good?
Speaker 2: It was? Okay?
Speaker 1: Never mind, never mind? Okay, let's cute some music, because it's time to bring up or get any kind of music. I don't even care, just to break it up because we have special guests in the house. Lorena Montes, please join us up on the stage, up on our fabulous studio, which is my living room, which is BacT with stuff right now. So I apologize for the way it looks. So Lorena, welcome to the show. And then bring your mic a little bit closer to your mom in here. There we go. Okay. So I met Lorena through Beto. We've had Beto on the show before, Beto Perez and he's on Rock one, O five three. He's also on gam In ninety five to seven. He's a DJ. He does a lot for the community. And when I was working in the newsroom, I was like oh, we need to find somebody who suffered from the floods, because it was a year ago, on the twenty second of January that the floods just destroyed so many people's homes, and you were one of them, and so I got to talk to you, and it turns out you are also You also are the development director for a very important foundation, which we will get to you in a minute, but first I want to talk to you about the floods. First of all, welcome Lorena, and talk about that day a year ago. Where were you? What happened? Bring us back?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: Well, that day, I actually was working.
Speaker 4: I was working in a different job and working from my dining room table, and it was rained pretty hard, just like it was today, and I have to say I have a little PTSD from rain today too. But I just watched out my window as the water started to rise and.
Speaker 1: Just was a little shocked.
Speaker 4: And then I naively put a towel by my door, thinking oh, that's going to stop, and it just started to rise from the planks of wood because we had full wood floors, and the water just started to rise throughout the whole house, and I saw our cars like just start the water was highest outside in our front yard and our house sits kind of, you know, at a decline. The front of the house of our neighborhood is called Mountain View. The cross streets through Ocean View and forty seconds and anyhow, that as the water was rising throughout the house, and you know, I could see things starting to go down the street because the current was so fast. We actually had a huge van like old school grandma and nine eighty five van sitting out in the front yard and the water actually took it down the street. That's how fast the water was flowing. And my husband came home through the backyard at the time that it was flooding because he works in construction and his job site was closed down for the rain. And he gets there and you know, he helped me get our dog outside and bring it to the higher point of our backyard. And that street had a lot of water going down, but it was essentially coming to our front of the house. We started to help our neighbors across the street get out of their homes.
Speaker 1: How are you doing that with our paddle boards, Doe, You were like paddling.
Speaker 4: Well, we just were using the paddle board to help them like get on it. It was about waist high to try to get them to our backyard so they could get out the back street. And our neighbor across the street the night before, their mother in law, someone had passed away and the ambulance had told them to leave her body there, but the water was rising so significantly that they, you know, were like no way. So they brought her body on air mattress and left it on our trampoline.
Speaker 1: WHOA, Well, they waited.
Speaker 4: You know for the medical team to come pick her up.
Speaker 1: But Okay, how fast did this all occur?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What is the time span?
Speaker 4: I remember taking a picture of the street and sending it to my coworkers while we were in the zoom, and that was like ten thirty and by noon, like the street, the.
Speaker 1: House was you know, completely flooded.
Speaker 4: We had about two feet of water in our home and we're on a higher end of the street itself. Our neighbors across the street probably had five to six feet of water in their house.
Speaker 1: Did you have time to like gather important things? Did you even think about that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I was mostly I mean my daughter was at school, so I knew she was safe. That was my big concern was just you know, if she if her school was okay, because she was in body a Logan school, and and our papers, so I'm pretty organized. I have a file cabinet, you know, just fire file cabinet, and that's all my papers said. My husband actually helped me just throw it on turn bed, so I was like, well, hopefully it doesn't get that high and we'll just leave it there. So but we landed up staying because we were helping quite a few neighbors. And then I'm not really sure what happened to stop the The rain stopped, but it was still.
Speaker 2: I mean, the water was still.
Speaker 4: Really high, and then at one point you could tell a difference in the water retracted pretty quickly, so I don't know what the city did. The street behind us is the flood canal, and that, from my understanding, had I mean, you could see it afterwards after the water cleared and everything. There were i mean refrigerators and stuff like that that they were taking out of the canal itself. So you know, I'm sure part of that is a combination of what was coming out of the homes along the canal, but also you know, the debris and things like that that they've had, and our neighbors that live on that side of the street have reported repeatedly that, you know, the city should come clean up things.
Speaker 1: And is that one of those great things like the grates that No.
Speaker 4: It's actually like a man made creek, oh quickly is what it looks like. But it's it's huge. I mean, it's a good twenty feet across. You know, it's you know, it's not a small little stream that runs down.
Speaker 1: So when the water receded where you what were you left with?
Speaker 4: And because you were out house, it is just mud everywhere. I have pictures where you know, they just telling you take pictures of everything, take pictures of everything. My husband and this quick thinking, you know, we.
Speaker 1: Threw out a lot.
Speaker 4: I mean we threw We had to throw out all of our furniture and dressers, like you can't keep any of that stuff because it's toxic at this point. So you know, there was nothing basically left every where.
Speaker 1: Did you go?
Speaker 4: We went to Famili's home that night. My daughter was you know, picked up by a friend there at school and brought to our family.
Speaker 1: And when were you able to come to move back into your home safely? Just recently. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: In August, late August, right before my daughter started school, we moved back in and there were still quite a few things that we need to continue updating. But you know, our house was built in nineteen fifty one, one of the first homes on the block, so so much which was not updated essentially. So now with this flood, you know, the small things that we just updated our kitchen, now we had to do a total recall of our entire house because everything was from nineteen fifty one.
Speaker 1: Did you have flood insurance?
Speaker 4: No, we didn't. We're not on the side of the street that technically is mapped out as a flood risk.
Speaker 1: So were you Did you get help? Was it hard to get help? Did you get like you be able to get repressing? Oh my god, I bet you went through a lot of red tape. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the things I think that's I guess silver lining on the whole thing is that we're homeowners, so we were eligible for quite a few different programs FEMA, you know, was one assistant. Some of the FEMA loans that are little lower rates and that sort of thing we're eligible for. But the amount of work that goes into it is exponential. And I was so fortunate to have a job that I was working remote, so I could spend all day waiting for FEMA to like get all the paperwork that they needed or come to the house and you know, measure everything to make sure we weren't lying about, you know, the damage that was done. And you know, I have a master's degree, so getting through that paperwork was no light thing by any means. So I just my heart goes out to all the families that don't have all of those privileges, you know, right and access to these kinds of you know, supports and systems. And my job was phenomenal in supporting me and allowing me to take the time off to be there for the number of things that you have to do in this process.
Speaker 1: Isn't it crazy a year later what we dealt with like that same day. A year later and it was completely flip flopped. I know when fire, I know. Okay, So when we were talking, she was telling me about her your new job that you recently just got last month, Yeah, she said, thank you. Yeah. She's the director, the development director of the Foundations, the Foundation for the Children of the Californias and explain to us what that is and why it's important that we know about it.
Speaker 4: Definitely. So the Foundation for the Children of the Californias has been around for over thirty years. We just celebrated our thirtieth anniversary last year. I came to find this organization just by an introduction from someone I had worked with in the past and was really excited about the mission to enhance the health and nutrition of children in the San Diego mega region. San Diego's huge, and we're pretty wealthy, but to know that so many kids are still malnourished and under accessing healthcare that's you know, high quality, is just something I can understand. And so this foundation supports one of the only pediatric hospitals in Northern Tijuana. So children come from all over Northern Mexico to access the specialty care that is in this hospital, and that's one of the primary initiatives that we support as a foundation.
Speaker 1: We really are here for.
Speaker 4: Binational children's health along the border region and making sure that they have access to healthy nutrition and you know, teaching, education and specialty services that we do. We have an amazing surgical unit dentistry. One of the great things about the clinic itself is that you know, families can come there for let's say a kleflip pellet surgery, which is one of the things that is access there most frequently, and get all the follow up care that they need there in one place, so they don't have to go to multiple different places. And you can imagine if you're an underserved person living in an urban region or a rural region of Mexico, it's hard to get to doctors to continue to do that. So it's nice to be able to go to one places.
Speaker 1: Like a lot of families do come here to Raidy Children's Hospital, but like I'm sure that they can't do follow up appointments constantly, right because it's no small order heading across the border half the time, you know, so is the hospital? Do they provide the same kind of care? Absolutely?
Speaker 4: There are some partnerships with physicians on the United States side that do work with Rady's that volunteer their time as well at the hospital to do follow up care with some of the children. You're right, Crossing the border is no small feet for anybody. Even if you have sent through your global entry, you know it can take an hour or two two so it's nice to be able to have faster service. We do have a great telehealth program as well, so if families have been served initially you know, in TJ, but need to do follow up here in the United States, they're able to you know, still meet with their physicians and stuff. And so one of the great things the hospital didn't close during COVID because of the telehealth and you know, for many families that are monolingual Spanish speaking, this is a huge access point to getting your care for your kids.
Speaker 1: So we have a link on our web page Laura Kane after dark dot com. It has a link to the foundation's website. Now, somebody who's listening or watching why should help and give because what you need is is funds, right right.
Speaker 4: But I mean, I think there's a lot of different ways to be involved with our organization, volunteer opportunities. I think it's great to introduce other people and families to this resource because you know, we serve children from anywhere. You know, you don't have to be a Mexican citizen. You can be a US citizen, you could be a Ukrainian citizen, it doesn't matter. The hope is is that all children will have access to this quality care, and so I think, you know, spreading the word about this resource is one great thing. Of course, funding is always essential to keep the doors open and keep the quality care up to code and up to you know, the standards that everybody should have. I don't think healthcare should be a luxury, you know, it's part of our human dignity. And for me, I think this is such a great example of that being the mission for the last thirty years. You know, our founder she just was, you know, shocked from the stories that I've heard. I never met her, but you know her mission has always been to make sure children had care that she saw, you know, in the United States.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that, oh my gosh, that's that's really great. So if you want to give, and if you have your tender sport spot in your heart for children, yes, this would be a great foundation to support. And what is the website so we could use somebody wants to write it down right now?
Speaker 4: They it's obviously www dot u s FCC dot org.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, I mean, congratulations on the new job and your master's degree. Oh yeah, that was well where'd you go to school?
Speaker 4: I went to the University of New England. Oh what are you from the East coast now, I'm actually from Denver, Colorado. Okay, I've been in San Diego for almost twenty years now.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, oh my gosh. Well, I'm glad to know that you are back in your house. I mean, is it all totally for the most part, the most part, okay, the most part.
Speaker 4: It's it's coming along.
Speaker 1: It took a while, it did, it did.
Speaker 4: But you know, it's uh, it looks beautiful. And thank God for a handy husband and the honeyde list.
Speaker 1: Poor guy, It's God, You're lucky. That's the kind of guy I want to meet. Is a handy man. Oh yeah, oh yeah, somebody that can fix anything and plug anything in and set up put up a TV on the wall.
Speaker 2: You know that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Honey do list.
Speaker 4: It doesn't leave our house.
Speaker 1: It's it comes.
Speaker 4: I every once in a while will be like, hey, can you hang this stuff in my office? And then I'm like, never mind, I need you to do the curtains.
Speaker 1: Thanks well, Lorena, Thank you so much for joining us. Thank you for sharing this knowledge with us. I mean, I didn't know anything about this foundation, and I think it's wonderful. And beautiful, and like you said, every child deserves quality care and so thank you for that, and thank you for sharing your story and being on our podcast. And something we do at the end of each episode is we have a little saying, So I'll say it first, and then will you say it? And then Eric says it, and then we're done. Okay, okay, cheerleaders.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 1: I know it's our little tagline. Okay okay. So thank you guys for watching and listening. We always appreciate it so much. We do and love your podcast. Love your podcast, Love your podcast. Thank you guys, Love me my sweet babies. Bye bye, everybody, Bye bye bye bye.