Speaker 1: You're listening to camp. I am six forty the Bill handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio Appy, I AM forty Live Dreaming and HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Good morning, my friend, and welcome home. I am Dean Sharp the House Whisper. I design custom homes. I build some custom homes and for the weekends, I am your guide to better understanding that place where you live today on the show. Very exciting. We do this every year. This week in Las Vegas, Nevada, it was the International Builders Show, sponsored by the National Association of home Builders. It is the largest industry show for the construction and design industry on the planet. Happens every year, and we're talking a huge, huge show. This show has grown in proportions every single year. This is particularly, I believe, the largest show, at least in the last fifteen years. It is the world's premiere building industry showcase. It fills the entire Las Vegas Convention Center, the whole thing, including all the new expansion wings. I mean literally wall to wall in the convention center, over a one million square feet of exhibit space, nearly two thousand exhibitors and well well over one hundred thousand people in attendance, most industry professionals, some homeowners of most industry professionals. There's a lot to take in. And every year after the show wraps up, I bring you the Best of the International Builders Show all of the things that I think will be of interest to you, at least to the top things. And it's fun. It's fun to talk about what's changing on the horizon in the building industry, what new products or innovations are out there, give you a sense of where things are going. And so that's what we're doing. It's gonna take today and tomorrow's show, both shows to get it all done. So today part one of the Best of the International Builders Show for twenty twenty five. And yes, I will not be using the abbreviation for the show which they use, which is IBS, which also stands for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I don't know why they've labeled it that way. You could have come up with a different one, but we're just gonna call it the International Builder Show, Oh Builders. And of course we'll be taking your calls today. The phone lines are open right now. Producer Richie is standing by the number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three the numeral two. Ask Dean eight three three two Ask Dean. It's just that simple. And of course, when it comes to your calls, anything you want to talk about regarding your home, anything at all. I'm talking about the International Builders Show. You can call me about anything that's got you scratching your head about your home, and that's design, construction, architecture, DIY, whatever the case may be, inside, outside, landscape, decre anything. Give me a call. We'll put our heads together, we'll figure it out. I help you. Let me introduce our awesome team. Sam is on the board wrangling our not so live studio audience. Good morning Sam, Good morning Dean. How you doing today. I'm good, Bud, I'm good. You just found him very chipper. I got good energy going today. I love doing this show man. Seriously, I don't know if people understand being here is my sanity? All right? Well there it is. There it is. We're keeping Sam sane. So thank you. Producer Richie, our awesome producer, not near Mike because he's busy working the phones. He is here. You will get to talk to Richie if you give us a call. He'll tell everything you need to know and pop you into the queue. Awesome as always. Eileen Gonzalez at the news desk. Good morning, Eileen, Good morning, Dean. How's it going good. We missed you last weekend? Oh I missed you guys too, well did you? I didn't miss week the weekend off well, I actually worked. I switched shifts, I worked later. I was still here. Just slept in a little which is nice. Well, that's nice. That's always nice, all right, And sitting across the table from me, somebody. I also missed a little bit last weekend because we had a special guest in and I don't know where you were, just wandering around my better half, my design partner, and her beagle, my best friend in all the world. Tina is here. Welcome home. How you doing. I feel good? Good? Well, good, yeah, I feel all rested. Had good dreams last night, I did? You woke up to tell me all about her dreams. I did have very vivid dreams or vivid just living color dreams. All right, we need to dive into this. I want to get started right away. I'm going to remind you again the phone lines are open, and you know Saturday mornings are always a great time to call out here because on the West Coast things are very sleepy still. But I know you're up, and I'm glad that you're with me because we're going to dive into the best of the International Builder Show. The number to reach me for anything else eight three three two, Ask Dean eight three three the numeral two, Ask Dean KFI you can jarp the outs with for whether home is a condo or a cottage or a castle, doesn't matter. I'm here to help you take it to the next level. We're going to be going to the phones in just a bit. The number to reach me eight three three two Ask Dean eight three three the numeral two ask Dean. Producer Richie is standing by. He'll tell you every thing you need to know. Popping into the queue, and then you and I we can figure out what's going on with your place. All right, it is time to dive into the best of the International Builder's Show, which just wrapped up this last week here in Las Vegas, Nevada. Very first thing, in fact, I think, if I'm not mistaken, this actually won Best in Show for the entire show is a garage door and so this is of interest to some of you. No doubt you may or may not know this brand, Clo pey Clo pay Clope. Clope is a major manufacturer of garage doors. They have been an industry leader for a long long time. They introduced at the Builder Show this year the what they call the Vertu Stack v er Ti Verti Stack garage door. And my only explanation for it is, look, ma, no rails. Yes, imagine this. That's a sectional garage door. I believe right now it's it's the model they were displaying is a contemporary door. But I don't know why this wouldn't apply to any sectional garage door. We'll have to check with Club Pay on that. But we're looking at a contemporary aluminum and glass door, very very cool looking garage door. Imagine the sections of your garage door and how your garage door works. When it's time to open your garage door, the opener starts pulling the entire door up and over that curved railing system and then sets it along the ceiling of your garage. And other words, there are rails that run up and over your ceiling. And because the garage door has to slide up onto the ceiling. Then there are limited applytions for what you can do to the ceiling. In other words, when the door is open, it blocks lights that might be in the ceiling from shining down on the floor. It also eliminates the ability to have storage or anything else up there. Racking system. You have to work all of that around the rails well the verti stack door instead of remaining all intact one big sliding door system. As the door is retracted, every rail panel I mean every sectional panel I should say, disengages and floats next to the next panel. What this essentially means is that all of the sections of this garage door collect in For lack of a better term, this is my term, not there's a balance over the garage door on the inside of the garage. Okay, if that makes sense. Imagine like pulling up a blind in your house, right, pulling up adjustable blinds and they all pull up inside the balance. Well, that is essentially what the verdistat garage door does. No rails, no door traveling across the ceiling of the garage. It all ends up in this cartridge valance above the garage door header mounted to the front door wall of the garage, no rails, no rails, that's from Clope. That is a major major technology change. And yes, it won't be long before you see all sorts of garage door company garage door manufacturers producing their own version of this. I don't know this particular one, the patent how long it'll last. But Clope has got it, and they've got it now, and they've figured it out. Very very reliable, very very secure, well tested, well received in the industry. One best in Show at the Internet National Builder Show for new product, the Clope Vertie stack garage door. So just imagine that. Imagine if you could open your sectional garage door and have no garage door on the ceiling above you, giving the freedom to do anything you want or need to do with the ceiling of your garage, including tons of storage up there, racking down below, covering the entire surface of the garage. That is a game changer, is it not? Yes? It is all right, I got more, We'll do it.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty, KFI AM.
Speaker 1: Six forty live streaming and HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Dean Sharp the House whisper with you this morning. It's going to be a lovely day here in southern California. A little cloudy, maybe a little rain. Maybe spring is creeping. Some might say it's already here. The birds in my yard are already telling me. Hey, buddy, forget the calendar. I will tell you when spring is here. It's when we just emptied your bird feeder from seed, you know, the one we've been ignoring for a few months. Yeah, it's true, Spring is here. The number to reach me, By the way, we're going to be going to the phones in just a bit. Eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three the numeral two. Ask Dean eight three three two. Ask Dean. Anything you want to talk about regarding your home. Talk to producer Richie. He'll tell you what you need to know. Pop you into the queue, and then you and I we can put our heads together and figure it out. Whatever it may be, construction, design, architecture, DIY, whatever it is. Just throw it at me. We'll see. I'm pretty good at this stuff, to tell you. But right now I want to continue with our taking a look at today and tomorrow's show, and if you're a podcast listener, this episode and the next the Best of the International Builders Show twenty twenty five Today Part one, the next episode tomorrow's broadcast Part two. Okay, let's talk about Let's talk about something that actually has got me pretty excited for kitchen design, and that is a major appliance changed, Tina, you're gonna want to get in on this one.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: LG Solid Solid appliance manufacturer, one of the finest, I would say in recent years, LG at the Builders Show introduced their new thin door, thin door, counter depth full size refrigerator. Okay, Now, Tina will tell you that one of the things that we strive to do when we're designing a new kitchen is too of course, we encourage clients these days, if you want the best looking kitchen, to go for a counter depth fridge so that you don't have a full depth fridge sticking out a good four to six inches beyond the cabinet space. So counter depth fridges are all the rage. They have been for a good amount of time, and manufacturers have been getting better at increasing the capacity of those fridges because they are shallower, so sometimes they make them a little taller, sometimes they make them a little wider so you can get closer to the same cubic footage. But the key is this even a freestanding counter depth refrigerator. If you will take a look on the market they have, there are certain requirements for the cabinets coming up to them because the hinges are standard hinges on these refrigerators, so they need a little bit of space clearance around them, a little bit of frame clearance around them. And the second thing is the doors themselves, even though they unit. When we say counterdepth, we mean the refrigerator box right up to the gasket that seals the front door. Okay, the box goes completely flush, but the door sticks out, and most doors are on average about four inches thick. Okay, that's a that's a nice little intrusion into the kitchen. Still, well, guess what LG unveiled at the builders show the LG thin door design for counterdepth refrigerators, a forty five percent thinner door. The door on this fridge is two point two inches thick overall. That is forty five percent thinner. I mean two two that's not even two and a quarter inches thick. That is the door. So what they've done is they've improved massively their insulative quality in a much smaller space. So they've made this a fully insulated door that's flat, not beveled or rounded, perfectly flat across, just a little over two inches thick, and zero clearance hinges, so that as the door opens, it also shifts in the back of it shifts in, so it does not in any way in true you can run cabinetry doors, drawers or whatever panels right up next to this refrigerator where the refrigerator hole is. That's gonna make a big difference in it. I'm thinking, I mean, that's that's great. And again, you know the reason I share these things with you, the things I try and pick as we take a look at these things. These are industry leaders. And the good news is not that, oh, well, great, there's one out there that we can choose from. No, no, no. The good news is whenever somebody breaks through this barrier and does something like this, you can be guaranteed that the rest of the industry will follow. Because this this is meeting a need that has been on everybody's wish list for a long long time. So LG has done it. They've broken the sound barrier, as it were, on this issue. They are producing a thin, flat refrigerator door for a full size refrigerator that is counter depth, zero clearance hinges, and as a result, kitchens are going to from here on out, you'll see I guarantee you're going to see GE come out with it soon. You'll see all the major manufacturers following suit with their own version of a thinner door. Because it's not like LG is holding on to some secret magic. They've just cracked the coat. And then everybody's gonna come. Everybody's gonna come because everybody wants a free standing refrigerator that slides in and just looks built in from the moment that you put it in there without paying the you know roughly six to ten thousand dollars that it costs to buy an actual bill tin refrigerator and all the issues that it has. So this is impressive LG thin door, counter depth refrigerator with zero clearance hinges. It's going to be a game changer for the industry. So if you are thinking again about remodeling, you're thinking about new appliances, you got to go over and check it out. And am I saying wait until everybody else comes out with you? No, the LG. It's a beautiful machine. LG is solid, solid, solid solid appliance manufacturer, one of the best out there right now. Also, I'm going to tack this on because LG again an introduced something. Now they've they've been toying with this and doing this a lot, but they're they've made this clear and Tina, this is relevant to you too. LG has officially now introduced its new luxury brand. Okay, so you guys know this. Like in the car industry, right, like every car manufacturer are a lot of them have their luxury version, Like Toyota has Lexus, right, they're made by Toyota Corporation. That kind of thing. It's true in the appliance industry as well quite often, like GE has Monogram. Monogram is a different brand technically produced by General Electric and it's their luxury version. Well, LG is now following suit. LG is now introducing SKS, which is Signature Kitchen Suite. So you see an SKS. It is a luxury appliance brand. It is made by LG, but it's made for the luxury market. One of the things that they were showing off the show was their energy Star Flex induction cooktop. Okay, four inductors. Okay, four zones, but the two zones on each side are completely flex as in they can be joined together at whatever proportion is needed. So literally, if you need fourteen inches by nine inches of burner induction hob, you can have that, or you can have the whole depth, or you can isolate it just down to one. It is flexible. It reminds me of the ge monogram where it doesn't even have any markings on the surface. Just put a pot down and it forms a ring around it and says, okay, that's where it is. But this is a very it is It's a thirty six inch sks thirty seven hundred watts of power per a hub up to and that's amazing power. It's got eleven inch dual center element that throws out seven thousand watts of power in that center, which is more powerful than most induction cooktops that I've seen, which, by the way, and most induction cooktops are more powerful than your top of the line gas cook top. So what am I saying? This is a crazy fast, crazy powerful cook top that beats out gas cooktops in performance on every level. And it's perfectly flat glass, no knobs, all touchscreen on top. Pretty amazing anyway. That is this year from LG SKS Luxury Signature Kitchen Suite Luxury brand, introducing officially and in the LG line, the zero clearance, hinged thin door, counter depth refrigerator. All right, I got more. But guess what when we come back, we're gonna take a couple of calls. How's that sound?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're home with Dean Sharp the house Whisper. Can't by Dean the house Whisper. Welcome home. Thanks for joining us on the program today. Hope you are enjoying your Saturday morning wherever you are, whether it be West coast and it's plenty early coming up on seven o'clock, or further back east in our country where you are you've already been up for a while and you're not up yet. You're not up yet, it's almost nine o'clock. Get up, or just stay there and enjoy the show. I don't really care, honestly. Let's let's not pretend like I, you know, have true outrage. I want you to enjoy your Saturday. The number to reach me, by the way, eight three three two ask Dean eight three three The numeral to ask Dean about anything regarding your home today, and I mentioned that because it's time to go to the phones, I want to talk to Dave A. Dave, welcome home.
Speaker 4: Wedning, Thanks for taking my car, love you, love your show. We've got a fifty year old flat riff one car garage with rolled riffing on it and it has a lot of suddling in the rain. We have to sweep it up.
Speaker 3: What if anything should we do when installing the new roofing to eliminate to flatten it out is I've heard there's a foam you can put on the plywood that will either I think it creates a dome or it makes it levels it out so.
Speaker 4: That you don't have the PEDALNK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are some foam products that will do that that will create a slight kind of you know, for lack of a better term, on a flat roof, a hump which will basically give a little bit of pitch to a flat roof scenario. I would, honestly though, unless you're looking for extra insulated value or anything like that, I think I would. I would. I would defer to my roofer and only talk to a roofer who is a specialist in flat roofs. In this case, I think a layered PVC productor out PVC product. And then the thing that that that I like about a pour out PVC coating is that it will self level UH. In other words, you know wherever the the dips are and UH and the you know the that have been causing the puddling. The first couple of layers of the PVC poor will fill those in and UH and self level and then as you apply the the final layers, you're really working on an area now where there isn't any puddling. And so it's a what you're gonna do is you want to talk to your roof for specifically about self leveling compounds for that roof before you apply the final coatings. And there are so many different ways to do flat roofs. That's why I'm not specking one over the other because I don't I don't want to presume what the best roof scenario is for you versus the best self leveling. But I would say my first guest stab in the dark would be that you use a pour out self leveling material that then will bond to the other roofing layers as you go as opposed to let's say, just rolling out rolls of self ceiling bittermous membrane or self ceiling kind of you know, edge stretchable edge material that will all self seal and make a beautiful flat roof, but it won't necessarily take care of the dips that are causing puddling. So a pour out self leveling system, Dave, that's the first thing. And you talk to a roofer who specialized in flat roofs, and they're going to know exactly what to do with it.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 4: Thank you, you're great.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, thanks for your question, but appreciate it. Should we join, you know, we'll start, we'll at least start Joan, Welcome home, Aladine.
Speaker 5: I have a leak in the mainline of the house, somewhere between the meter and the house, and I had called DWP out to examine the meter and they noticed all them there was a lot of moisture in and around the meter itself, and they suspected a pinhole leak just based on the fact that all that water was around the meter. So I called the plumber out to see if they could locate a leak within arm's lengths of the meter and they could not easily find anything. So my question is, well they, by the way, they had suggested as a result that I get sonar, get somebody that could do a sonar evaluation to identify where the leak is, and that they would follow behind and do a repair. But I wanted to get your thoughts about the whole situation.
Speaker 1: Okay, so these are tricky things. We were just dealing with a last weekend, a good friend of mine had a leak in his house and we ended up calling out a locating service, a sona or locating service, and you know, assess the leak into the proper wall. But because of cabinets and other things like that, we didn't actually get it really directly pinpointed, and then he and I as we were digging through, we ended up finding it ourselves. The tricky thing, Joan, about your situation is that water that is leaking in a let's say a pinhole, leak through a pipe, I mean out of a pipe. It has a tendency because the pipe is creating a channel in the yard that it runs through. The water has a tendency to run along the length of the pipe, and so it can move quite a distance. Not fifty feet or so, I'm not talking about that, but it can move a good distance before it actually shows up where it is that we can actually see it. So you've got the meter, your water meter, which is down at the lowest point right the y.
Speaker 5: It's in the apron of the driveway exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's down there, and so water is naturally kind of running downhill toward it. So the pinhole leak, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is one, But the pinhole leak could be you know, it could be twelve inches away from the meter, it could be three or four feet. I doubt that it's ten feet away from the meter, okay, because soil would absorb that water and keep it from moving that, you know, if it's a small leak, so it is nearby the meter, if you've got exceptional moisture there, And here's the cool thing without any other encumbrances around. The reason I mentioned, my friend is that we had all these cabinets and things in the way out in the yard, even where the driveway is, that's a pretty clear place to get a good reading on it. And so yeah, I think that was solid advice. I think what you want to do is do your best. It's not a guarantee, not a guarantee, but you call a leak detection service and have them come out and scan the main line and narrow it into at least a foot or two from you know of where this leak is, and that's when you'll know essentially what the scope of the plumbing repair is going to have to be.
Speaker 5: What is your thought of going that approach? Sonars you know well over one thousand dollars, and that's just too identify where the leak is. What is your thought about going that approach trying to identify a specific leak somewhere in the line. By the way, everything is cement. This is all cement. So oh yeah, and then versus just repiping from the meter to the house. Okay, property is about thirty five.
Speaker 1: Years old, gotcha? Okay, all right. So here's the situation, Joan. We're up against a break. I want you to hold I'm going to answer that question. We'll do it on the other side of the break. If you can hold with me. Is that okay?
Speaker 5: Yes? Thank you?
Speaker 1: All right, you hang tight, and uh yeah, we're going to address that tricky little question. Should Joan go to all the trouble of locating or should she just move directly to repiping that question when we return. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisperer on KFI.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bill Handle on Demand from KFI AM six forty