Speaker 1: We take a look backward at significant events and people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these. This is Constitution Day, the day in seventeen eighty eight that the United States Constitution, which is being mauled by all sides right now, went into effect. New Hampshire became the required ninth state to ratify that. Cyrus Hal McCormick received a patent for his mechanical reaper, Don't Fear the Reaper. The year was eighteen thirty four. Eighteen ninety three, the first ferris wheel opened the public part of the Chicago World's Fair. An Imperial Japanese submarine fired shells at Fort Stevens and the Oregon coast, caused very little damage. It was World War II. It was nineteen forty two. The Imperial Japanese. We're trying to actually penetrate the contiguous forty eight. They failed. Nineteen fifty four, scientists at the American Camp mench Society presented a study in a meeting of the American Medical Association which found that men who regularly smoked cigarettes died, particularly from lung cancer, at a considerably higher rate than non smokers. You can get lung cancer and never have smoked, by the way. Nineteen sixty four, civil rights activists James Cheney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner murdered in Mississippi. Their bodies found burned in an earthen damn are buried in earth and damn. Six weeks later, let's see a jury in d C found John Hinckley Junior not guilty by reason of insanity in the shootings of President Reagan, Press Secretary James Brady Washington, d C Police officer Thomas Delahanty and Secret Service agent Tim McCarthy. It was on this date in nineteen eighty two which that occurred. And let's see a sharply divided Supreme Court, and this has obviously been a subject of much discussion and debate. Of late nineteen eighty nine, in the state of sharply divided Supreme Court ruled in Texas versus Johnson that burning the American flag as a form of political protest was protected by the First Amendment. This decision may be revisited again very soon, depending on what Congress and the President do. WNBA made its debut, the Liberty defeated the Los Angeles Sparks and literally no one watched because Caitlin Clark wasn't playing yet. The year was nineteen ninety seven. Happy Birthday, w NBA Birthday. Folks that you may know, Ray Davies, we mentioned of the Kinks, Meredith Baxters seventy eight. Actor Michael Gross also seventy eight. Weren't they together? Author Ian McEwan is seventy seven. Nils Lofgren, who many regard as a musical genius or just a musician, is seventy four. Berkeley breathed the Great Cartoonist is sixty eight today, Kathy Mattea turned sixty six. Rapper DJ producer Pete Rock the Double Nichols, actress Juliette Lewet is fifty two. Lewis fifty two, Chris Pratt is forty six, Brandon Flowers of The Killers is forty four, Prince William Is forty three. Lana Delray's birthday, and Scottie Scheffler playing in The Travelers and on the leader Board, celebrating his twenty ninth birthday today, on this June twenty first. If it's your birthday, I hope it's the best day you could possibly imagine, and you get to spend it with people that you love and care about, doing the things you love to do. And that is truly my wish for you. Liam Tomlinson is back and we'll have some sports for you. Get you caught up. And the weather is hot, hot, hot, like the late buster poindexter. It's five point two at seven hundred WLW and this is the Saturday morning edition Faverorcards so Usuay evening the heat index values will be up around one hundred and five the surface of the sun and air quality alerts are running today through Monday. Levels of ozone in the Tri State may approach or exceed unhealthy standards if you already have some breathing problems. Just so you know, up to about ninety today and again the heat index make it feel much warmer. Tomorrow's sunny high ninety three and Monday also tipping in the lower nineties Tuesday as well. Amazingly enough, so the summer heat has arrived just in time for the summer season. It is sixty nine right now.
Speaker 2: W W Sport.
Speaker 1: Liam Tomlinson, welcome back.
Speaker 3: It's an honor to be back on the game. Where were you last weekend? I was playing softball, King of the Hill tournament.
Speaker 1: You sent me a picture and you had this makeshift like T shirt that you obviously made yourself. Was that crayon that said colonels in front of it on the white T shirt?
Speaker 3: Was you don't think the kids made it? You think that's my handwriting? I thought that was you.
Speaker 1: It is my handwriting? Was at kids design? Your design, which lacked a little bit of artistic integrity.
Speaker 3: Well, was at the pool making the jerseys before the game on game day because I bought a bunch of white shirts that morning.
Speaker 1: At you played the King of the Hill Softball tournament, and exactly how did your team do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I had like six guys that are really good.
Speaker 3: Then I had four guys that are great friends playing on this team who can't play. They're great friends. I love these guys to death. Well, I mean, what are they like? Art majors or comparative legs. Some of them didn't go to school. There's not women's studies majors. The women's study major actually played really well. You'll be surprised, Yes, I would be. But I had to pitch because I took the due diligence and I knew no one else wanted to and I put my life on the line on the mound. I gave up twenty eight runs in the first game, probably ten only earned. It felt like the bad News Bear song was playing as they kept rounding the bases and people were making heirs like it looked like the Chico's bail bonds was on the shirts. Yeah, I wasn't pretty, but it was about the memories you make with your friends, right.
Speaker 1: So you gave up twenty eight runs in the first inning.
Speaker 3: Oh, we only played two innings, I guess so well, and those a three hour rain delay before that too, So it was just it's an interesting start to the weekend. Hey, but we only lost by fifteen the second game, and then we only lost by ten, and we got to play six innings of ball in the last game.
Speaker 1: So progress. When you describe your sports weekend and you conclude with we only lost by fifteen in the second game, only lost by ten, I would not say that that is a resounding success as an athlete. And I know you you regard yourself to be an athlete only because you knock down old men pretending to play basketball.
Speaker 3: My eighth grade team went like oh in twenty seven, but we had about fifteen moral victories according to my coach. So, I mean depends how you look at it.
Speaker 1: I mean, this losing just surrounds you because you were an announcer for what the Danville High School, the Admirals and eleven Danville Admirals last season. Yes, Yes, and it just seems like there's a bit a black cloud that follows you around when it comes to your involvement in any kind of sports activity, whether it's broadcasting it or whether it's actually participating in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it felt like in the Truman Show when the rains just moving right over him. That's how I feel on the broken set.
Speaker 1: What did the real athletes do last night? And what are they playing?
Speaker 3: Wasn't good for them either? Last night, the Reds fell to the Cardinals six to one. The Reds have not won a season series against the Cardinals since Bush Stadium opened in two thousand and six in Saint Louis.
Speaker 1: Wow, since the Bush administration. Wow.
Speaker 3: Brady Singer pitched six innings, only giving up one run. There was one O ball game going into the six when the Reds bullpen just couldn't throw strikes. Threads are back in action tonight at two fifteen. Inside pitch coverage begins at one to fifteen. Brent Suters starts for the Reds. Sonny Gray starts for the Cardinals. Catch all that action right here on the home of the Red seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Do we not have FIFA action this weekend? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Foresia Dortmund where Russia Dortmund is in town?
Speaker 1: You sure that's the correct pronunciation?
Speaker 3: Now by Dortmund we can say that they're one of the biggest clubs in the Bundesliga.
Speaker 1: Is playing in Cincinnati. By the way, congratulations on Bundesliga. That was pretty good. When is the game at TQL the match this after noon? Okay?
Speaker 3: We also have Travelers three players tied at nine under Scottie Scheffler, Justin Thomas and Tommy Fleetwood. Jason dasits in fourth at eight under an NBA Game seven between the Thunder and Pacers tips off at eight pm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that did it surprise you that the Pacers came back and won that game.
Speaker 3: I think the Pacers they don't have like top talent, but they're deeper than any other team in the league. Like their floor is better than other teams. Just a style of play. Pascal Siakam's a winner. I'm not surprised necessarily. Is Halliburton a superstar. I think there's maybe four superstar. I think we're letting everybody become a superstar. Magic Johnson said, you have to be able to sell out arenas. I don't think Tyree is Halliburton is selling out arenas.
Speaker 1: On the road. No, no, But the proof will be into putting the thunder a favored by eight and a half of the early life line for tomorrow's game seven. And look look forward to it. You know, I may actually watch an NBA game and and don't watch WNBA to see how much more they they are allowed to thump on Caitlin Clark with impropriety, with impunity. All right, it's coming up on ten minutes till the top of the hour. No Mametry yet, but we hope Lynette will get in touch whenever she can. News Radio seven hundred WLW please join their. Well, we may be diglas this morning, but we are not without my favorite lady, Lynette. She did get through and it's great to talk to you, dear. I understand you've had some problems with your voice. Ooo.
Speaker 4: Ga ah ask Salon tsuy tish food food jea, my homikea her ex sarun every day, the saying her task Sarah, you never ever check her tasks? Saluon oo ga sa tsha.
Speaker 2: Amen, Praise Jesus.
Speaker 1: That was wonderful.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Liam told me that your voice was out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I lost it, I said, Pry. I mean lamb is gone. It's gone. And I got his high way back.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that was beautiful.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 1: How's the week been?
Speaker 5: That was great? And they say this is the first day of summer.
Speaker 1: Yes, first full day of summer, and.
Speaker 5: I lost my voice right at five thirty.
Speaker 1: Well, you can pray for day from Harrison because I talked to him yesterday and he wasn't feeling well at all. I hope that he's better for his six o'clock phone.
Speaker 2: Call this morning.
Speaker 5: Day's vocal cards, that he may come out like a winter like I did this now until this guy booshed him up, breathing his mons, opening up his vocals. Hey man, it's done.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I feel confident now, and Dick from Dayton still doesn't have I guess, so we may not hear from Dick.
Speaker 5: Are you Dave? You're the ram and of us to pull him out. Pull him out, go over there days. Maybe you stuck in traffic, but move on up and help him. And they stayed went out down for the weekend with them.
Speaker 1: He does go out of town quite a bit. Listen, any anything particularly interesting to tell me?
Speaker 5: Or well, we had an ice cream social yesterday and I drank two floats and boy were those strawberries chips that had real strawberries, isn't it? Oh my goodness, I was pred the sea of it. Dear Lord, help me. I don't want the articular life attack it. Two twenty am Saturday morning. Please gotta love this float? And I had a second one.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm apparently everything came through just fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they call himself each fair, but well, work for.
Speaker 1: Me, Lynette. I love you, We gotta go. I Love my best by five point fifty seven and seven hunderd WLW.
Speaker 6: The Claremont County Veteran Service Commission invites everyone to remember to honor those who have sacrificed their life to ensure our flight continues to stand for freedom and in a triumphants.
Speaker 1: Into the first official hour of the Saturday morning edition for this Saturday, June twenty first twenty twenty five, the first full day of summer. It's on, baby, and the heat is on, just like glim Fry in the eighties. Grey Jeff Walker just about eight minutes past the hour, and I was very concerned that our next buddy, Dave from Harrison sometimes he's day from Fairfield, but Day from Harrison, would be okay this morning to go on the air. And I was relieved to see him chiming in just a few moments ago. And because you know, really a Saturday morning without Dave, there's what it just it just wouldn't be good. It wouldn't be right, it wouldn't be normal. So now we're getting back to normal. Dave, good morning.
Speaker 7: Good morning, I'm the whole friend.
Speaker 2: How are we doing doing.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad and thankful that you're okay because I know that you were a little down for a day or so and and uh, anyway, I'm just very very thankful that you're here with us this morning. How is everything.
Speaker 2: Going, Oh good, things are going good.
Speaker 8: Yep, yep, okay.
Speaker 1: So so whatever, whatever the whatever the problem was, has been resolved and you're fine.
Speaker 7: I believe I had a touch of the APPAZETI and I'm on the.
Speaker 1: Way out now, all right. Horse walks into a bar. The bartender says, why the long face? Sarah Jessica Parker walks into a bar. The bartender says, why the long face? A penguin walked into a bar and asked the bartender if he'd seen his brother. The bartender replied, I'm not sure. What does he look like? A baby seal walks into a bar. What can I get you? Asked the bartender. The baby seal says, anything but a Canadian club, Dave.
Speaker 9: Yes, those are those are good. There's a good, dear, I happen to have this past week. I was bussed with three jokes from three different grandkids.
Speaker 8: And you're going to share them now, yes, and.
Speaker 7: Eight year old, ten year old, and seventeen year old, and that four.
Speaker 1: Before you start. Good morning Chris to two point zero. Hello, Frankie, she just touched me. She's up.
Speaker 8: That makes it super special.
Speaker 1: So Frankie gets to hear your your joke, because I'm sure she's got it warmed up. The liquid gold of the nineteen forty one Philco floor model console that we have in our in our our front room is fired up on so.
Speaker 2: For the first time, thanks to Ricky, thanks.
Speaker 1: To old radio rick who's standing by. So this is frank This is Frankie's first taste of of Dave from Harrison. So make it good, Dave.
Speaker 7: Okay, So no, Ariel says, hey, Peo, Paul, what do you get if you mess with Mama source and then and then he says, you get you get your ass kicked?
Speaker 1: But yeah, okay, all.
Speaker 7: Right, Natanyel says. Later on, I says appo. He says, uh, why do boys part loud girls?
Speaker 8: Sorry, yeah, that's the question.
Speaker 7: And the answer is, well, boys have a microphone and two speakers.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow okay.
Speaker 7: And then I send it to your old Texas men, says at paw. He says, last week I eight o'clock, and then he says it was really time consuming.
Speaker 10: Jokes told by Dave from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular program.
Speaker 1: How are you receiving us this morning, Ricky?
Speaker 11: Well, first of all, I want to say, I'm so thrilled that the day from Harrison was on the air, because then I don't have to bring my best game.
Speaker 1: Wow wow right away with the slam on, Dave.
Speaker 11: Love you, Dave many Yeah, so well, yet you missed one though. Guy walks into a bar, orders a beer. He's got jumper cables around his neck. Bartender says, okay, but don't start anything.
Speaker 1: That was on my list.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just I.
Speaker 1: Just didn't use it because I thought it was weak. There you go back at you, Bud.
Speaker 11: All right, so much for Dave bailing me out.
Speaker 1: So what kind of beauty radio receiver are you listening to us on this morning? If, if at any at all?
Speaker 11: This is a nineteen fifty nine Zenith K seven thirty one. It's an AMFM table radio boasting seven tubes and two speakers, which includes one electrostatic speaker which is a very flat, it's almost two dimensional speaker that has incredible sound but no base response unless it's the size of a refrigerator, and that's not an exaggeration. And then a five x seven old speaker a traditional one next to it to cover the base. The interesting thing about the electrostatic speaker is that I've never seen one in a domestic radio before. They're usually all West German or otherwise Western European sets that have those, and only the higher end ones. But yeah, you're coming in five y five. The nice thing. Even though it's nineteen fifty nine. This is a timeless looking radio in my opinion. It is in the wood case. It does have a metal chassis. Those are things that eluded where you manufacturers when they got into the fifties, a lot of things started to be cheaper in both cost and performance, but also tended to focus more on the appearance the decoor aspect rather than actual radio. And see that referred to it as a Danish cabinet in blonde walnut.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I'm kind of I'm kind of a little excited. A Danish cabinet in blonde walnut. That sounds kind of tempting.
Speaker 11: You had to go there, but I'm going to go to the catalog.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, how does how does this beauty been described? In the catalog?
Speaker 11: A table model for every room of the home. Kitchen, bedroom, rumpus room. When was the last time we said rumpus room?
Speaker 1: I think goes in nineteen fifty nine exactly.
Speaker 12: I'm just telling.
Speaker 1: What exactly is the definition of a rumpus room. I go ahead, You go ahead, and I'm going to look it up. While you go ahead.
Speaker 11: This radio, I'm gonna make some assumptions. We'll see if I'm right or not.
Speaker 13: Okay, static free, true fidelity reception that only Zenith Armstrong FM can give. Well, I don't know of any FM radio that had static, and I don't know I bet that radio that wasn't designed by the Armstrong system. So it's interesting claim, not completely wrong, except the fact I don't think it's something to brag uniquely about. Yeah, two speakers, long distance AM and hand rubbed blood blonde walnut, finished cap.
Speaker 1: There you go again with the rubbing and the blonde walnut. Here we go. North American Australian noun rumpus room plural rumpus rooms a room typically in the basement of a house, used for games and recreation.
Speaker 11: And rumpus.
Speaker 1: Whatever that is.
Speaker 11: There has something to do with a Danish blonde that's been hand rubbed. I think, yeah, I can make you laugh like that. Have made my day?
Speaker 1: Are you done? Okay? You can check out more from mister Washpern at Old Radio Rick at gmail dot com. And I want, I definitely want a screenshot of that nineteen fifty nine Zenas the Danish blonde walnut hand rub thing.
Speaker 11: Okay, I'll get it to you, but I'm sorry, I don't have any fixtures of rumpus rooms. So yeah'll take what you can get.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got it.
Speaker 14: Head to our Saturday morning. It's going to be clear. We'll see a morning low of sixty eight degrees. Rest of ours Saturday is mostly sunny, a high of ninety feeling like near one hundred at night, clear and dropping the seventy one on Sunday and extreme heat watch begins and we'll see more sun in a high of ninety two, but it'll feel like one hundred plus. I'm your severe weather station. I'm nine First Warning Chief Meteorologist, Steve Rawley News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred WLW Sport. It is Scotty Scheffler's twenty ninth birthday and he is on the leader board once again this weekend at the Travelers tied with a couple of others.
Speaker 3: Correct, Liam Yes, Scotty Scheffler nine under at the moment, along with Justins Thomas and Tommy Fleetwood. Jason Day currently sits in fourth at ain't under in the Travelers. NBA Game seven tomorrow between the Thunder and Pacers tips off at eight pm.
Speaker 1: It is the first.
Speaker 3: Game seven in the Finals in nine years since the famous three to one comeback by the Cavaliers.
Speaker 1: Yep, and the Cincinnati Reds simply cannot stand prosperity. They left home after the series with the Twins four games over five hundred. They have now given back a couple of those, and the first game against the Cardinals was a disaster last night. Brady Singer had a great start, but then the bullpen blew it and the Cardinals blew the Reds out six to one last night at Bush Stadium in Saint Louis. And the series continues with a game this afternoon. Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, The Reds are back in action tonight at two fifteen. Inside pitch coverage begins at one fifteen. Brent Suter starts for the red Sunny Gray starts for the Cardinals. Catch all that action right here on the home of the Red seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else going on in the wide world of sports that we should know about?
Speaker 3: This today in Cincinnati. That c Cincinnati's off. They'll be back Wednesday against Montreal. But Barusha Dortmund plays Mamelody Ma Melody sundowns of the South African Premiership leader.
Speaker 1: That was worth it just to hear you attempt to pronounce these names.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Borussia Dortmann plays in the Bundesliga. Of course they do so. Match day two of three in the FIFA World Cup. The two MLS teams, of course, they had to choose Inner Miami and Messi Squad and the Seattle Sounders.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, Thank you sir. We're not sure whether Moegar will be joining us. He's been on vacation all week. Last week we caught him on the road going south, and maybe we'll catch him on the road coming up this morning. I'm not sure. Also, hello to my friend Doug Bonnson and his lovely bride Angie, who are vacationing this morning for the last day. I think they're going to leave a little bit later on this morning in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The last time that I was there. I was probably ten or eleven years old on a family vacation with another family known as the Farmers, and it's still I retain that as one of the great family vacations of my lifetime to this day. It's just such a beautiful area, whether you're on the Sound or on the beach side in the outer Banks, and we wish them safe travels home. Will be talking to the gang in Ripley. There was no Queen of Hearts drawing this past Wednesday because of the inclement weather and the fact that you need good weather because the crowd. There's no way for either one of the bars Brookies or the one across the street from it to contain people while they're waiting for the drawing. I mean it is that heavily attended. There's people out in the streets. It's like a street festival every Wednesday night in Ripley, Ohio. Will talk to them for an update. It finds you need a good traffic cop somebody to figure it all out. And this gentleman seems to have over the years perfected this skill and that's why we love talking to him every Saturday morning at this time. Please welcome back Steve Simon from at Ohio Steve, good morning.
Speaker 15: Good morning Gary, Jeff. Several weeks ago, I talked about a saintly person who was vilified by friend and full alike, but never gave up despite being abandoned. The story ends with her choosing death to life imprisonment. In Bernard Shaw's play Saint Joan, I searched more such biographies of public figures who were imprisoned or otherwise silenced. Contemporary Western Europe sadly gives us excellent examples. Allegedly republican forms of government in places like Germany, Romania, and France come to mind. Half of America seemed to like it when Donald Trump was maliciously prosecuted ironically by dead beats who ought to have been imprisoned themselves, and in one case, he was made the subject of a gag order when he was running for his second term as president. What is it like to be a controversial figure and be barred from freedom of speech? I'm thinking now of an American naval officer held in communicado in a foreign country for a year. Not only was he a prisoner of war, but when he got home, superiors in the Navy wanted a court martialom The year was nineteen sixty eight, smacked in the middle of the Vietnam War, as if we needed another Asian conflict. On January twenty third, of a year that saw MLK and Bobby Kennedy murdered and LBJ announcing he was quitting the North Koreans. With the aid of Soviet ships and planes, attacked and bordered the USS Pueblo. Commander Royd. Booker had no air or CSQUA and none came to his rescue. He immediately set about destroying classified documents rather than engage in an ill advised gunfight. The Peblow was basically a spy ship operating well within international waters. Overwhelmed by the attack and having no backup, Commander Booker surrendered the ship and the remaining eighty two crew. One crewman had bled to death in the attack. Booker and ten others were injured. Court records show that the Pueblo was a former mothballed army vessel with defective machine guns its only weapons. There is a long standing tradition in the United States Navy don't give up the ship, but throughout the ordeal, Pete Booker, as his friends called him, held fast to his orders not to start an Internet national incident. He also believed that while a ship can be replaced, lives cannot. So what kind of a person was this guy? Pete was born in landlocked, Idaho, to a birth mother who gave him up for adoption. When his adoptive mother died of cancer when he was three, Pete was now an orphan. He wound up in a series of Catholic orphanages and ultimately Father Flanagan's Boys Town in Omaha, Nebraska. He flourished in his studies and sports, but he dropped out in his senior year.
Speaker 11: The war was on.
Speaker 15: He joined the Navy, and by the time he left in nineteen forty seven, he had his high school diploma. He entered the University of Nebraska on a football scholarship in nineteen forty nine. Having naval ROTC, he was commissioned and officer. In nineteen fifty three, Pete Booker became a submariner. He loved submarines, and he rose through the ranks in the nineteen fifties. But in the nineteen sixties the Navy wanted nuclear trained sub commanders, and Pete wanted to just command a ship. And that's how Commander Booker had the gross miths fortune to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He and his crew spent eleven months in a North Korean prison camp, finally released two days before Christmas nineteen sixty eight. They were starved and tortured and subjected to propaganda appearances in the media to further embarrass the United States. Unfortunately for the North Koreans, in one incident, they had not realize that the crew was giving them the finger, which the American said was in a Hawaiian good luck sign. Booker was then subjected to a mock firing squad and told that if he did not go public with a confession, his entire crew would be shot in front of him. During captivity, he lost half his body weight, But bad boy to the last, Booker agreed to what he called a peon, in which English means a song of praise. His message read, we peon the North Korean state, We peon, they're great. Leader Kim Ill Sung not amused at all. The North Koreans then demanded and got an apology and admissioned that the Pueblo had been spying and assurances that we would never spy in the future. As soon as the crew was home, Washington renounced the deal, but Booker was hardly home free. The Navy command decided he needed to be court martialed, so he had to be rescued by Navy Secretary John Chafey, who overruled the Board of Inquiry. Pete Booker was cleared of all charges, including the allegation that he was too close to his men. Wow, he would never command a ship again. He retired from the Navy. Sorry here Packed who wrote a book, Booker.
Speaker 2: My Story, and died.
Speaker 15: In nineteen seventy three in San Diego. He left a wife and two sons. Pete did not live to receive his prisoner of War battle when the crew finally did twenty years later, when our government finally acknowledged their sacrifice. Rest in peace, Pete Booker, the Good Shepherd. Say a prayer when you go to church for synagogue tomorrow for Pete Booker and all the people like him. You're never abandoned totally.
Speaker 1: There's always Jesus.
Speaker 15: Talk to you next week, Gary, Jeff, bye, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Steve Ray in Lovelin, Good.
Speaker 16: Morning, Garry, Jeff, my brother, good morning.
Speaker 12: I want to yield my time.
Speaker 16: Find it impossible to follow that in like a moment of silence or even some patriotic music or something.
Speaker 2: I'm so moved by that.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I just want to say, God blessing my brother, you and your family. God bless them.
Speaker 1: That's all we need. Thank you, sir. And with that we continue coming up on six fifty five on this Saturday Morning News next, and then Steve Shulty with an environmental of you into another hour of the Saturday Morning it is and for this Saturday, June twenty first, twenty twenty five. Just interesting to hear all this banding about involving a possible difference of opinion between Tulsi Gabbard and President Trump and what all that means and is there a rift in the administration. It's like there's a reason Tulci Gabbert is there to be a voice, not to influence the president either way, but she's there in the cabinet to be an independent voice and someone else to help the president factor in and make decisions. And the people who are making a lot of it right now are just full of beans. So that was my miniature soapbox. And now we move on with the show. How about a visit with our favorite environmental engineer who is retired but still closely watching the environment because he was there on the very first Earth Day and he's still here now. Steve Shulty, good morning.
Speaker 17: Good morning, Gary Jeah, good morning. So uh taking a little different tack today.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 17: One of the one of the newsletters I get the Energy Letters Literatacy newsletter published by Ronald Stein.
Speaker 2: Te I met.
Speaker 17: Ronald a couple of years ago at one of the conferences I attended. He's at America out Loud dot News America out Loud dot News. He had an interesting newsletter in his past Monday, the sixth of sixteen. Uh.
Speaker 2: The title of the newsletter.
Speaker 17: What is the greatest oxymoron statement of all time? Renewable energy? You know, we all know the oxymoron is the figure of speech content where you have contradictory or opposite words that are combined to gives striking or thought provoking effect like deafening silence and organized chaos. And of course today the most favorite one is renewable energy. And we wouldn't have renew the so called renewable energies without government mandating you and I taxpayers to subsidize it. In fact, when you look at all the wind and solar projects that are used to generate electricity under favorable weather conditions, as you all know, the reality is no wind and solar projects around the world have been financed one hundred percent with private capital. Why because there's no return on investment. People claim that renewables are cheaper, but they exclude the cost of backup sources when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine. And these backup sources are things like power plants that are running on idle and generate electricity but putting it right in the ground. So one of the things that these people, and I think most people in our first world nations are oblivious, is that eighty percent of the eight billion people on this planet are living on less than ten dollars a day, so they cannot subsidize themselves out as they run sets out of a paper bag. So suggesting that we're somehow gonna use wind and solar throughout the world, you know, people are just out of reality and simply stargazing. Yeah, one of the things I found that interesting is that again believers and renewable energy are oblivious to the fact that we are a materialistic world dependent on more than six thousand products made from frossil fuels. Gary, Jeff, I have a nephew that works for one of the major energy companies here in the United States down in New Orleans area on the Mississippi River, a chemical engineer from the University of Cincinnati. His wife also is the chemical engineers.
Speaker 2: From up north.
Speaker 17: And so one of the things that dirt Plant does is, you know, it's a distillery that makes gasoline and diesel fuel. It also makes other components.
Speaker 2: And they have a pipeline.
Speaker 17: To that chemical plant that his wife works at that makes basic plastics and whatnot and that and that's where the big money is. But anyway, I digress.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 17: They're also oblivious to that the so called renewables only generate electricity. Renewables cannot make everything everything that needs electricity. Everything, whether it's an iPhone, computer or houses of what are made from petrochemicals, from crude.
Speaker 2: Oil, coal, or natural gas.
Speaker 17: All electrical generation methods idro, coal, national gas, wind solar are all built with products and components from oil derivatives. Even all your favorite even your all evs, Jeff, We're also all built with components and equipment made from oil to.
Speaker 2: Arivatus from crude oil.
Speaker 17: And what the bottom line is that if we get rid of crude oil, we would eliminate electricity. There's the oxymoron and more than six thousand products that are needed for the eight billion people in this planet, and obviously would paralyze the world, creating great harm and death.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, renewable energy, it simply doesn't exist. Thank you. In short, Steve Shulty, Well, well maybe we'll talk to Tim here after the break. It's seven fifteen, and I'm with you, my love. It's the moment, just we two. Gary Jeff with you on this Saturday morning edition. I woke up this morning to the news and it's not news to our next guest, but news to a lot of us this morning waking up that as many as sixteen billion passwords have been breached in this huge data breach, and as Dave Hatter says, it's a bad one. Here's Dave Hatter again, our Tech Talk guy, Doomsday Dave, And is this doomsday finally happening here?
Speaker 8: Dave?
Speaker 12: Well, it might very well be here, Jeff, this is pretty bad. But before before we go down the deamly path. I just got to say a great bump for music. I love cream. Oh yeah, is it just a masterpiece one of the greatest bands ever.
Speaker 1: And bourbon cream in coffee isn't bad either.
Speaker 12: Go ahead, yeah, I would not disagree with you. So yeah, researchers announced this and it's it's pretty interesting because it appears to be passwords and user account information credentials if you will, from a car, multiple platforms, Apple, Google, Meta, etc. The speculation is something and this is one of the things why I stay frustrated all the time.
Speaker 1: Gary Jest.
Speaker 12: I get that regular folks who don't do this for a living don't want to have to know about all this stuff, don't want to understand this, don't want to They just want to go about their lives. I totally totally understand and respect that, frankly, because I wish we didn't have to deal with all this stuff either. But when you look at the kind of thing we see here and the idea of an infostealer, a keystroke cloggers, thing like that. Okay, things like that. So a keystroke clogger, in the simplest terms, is a piece of malware. You know, think malicious software usually you get it because you click the link or something that you shouldn't click, phishing email, that sort of thing, and it gets downloaded to your device or your phone or your computer, and then it just sits there in the background, excuse me, silently capturing every keystroke. So as you're going around the web doing your thing, accessing bank, accessing your insurance, whatever, it's capturing all those keystrokes and sending them off somewhere, meaning it's getting all of your credentials. And that's the speculation for how this has been amassed over time, people downloading these infostealer keystroke lagger type malware that ultimately sends this data off somewhere. And you know, if I can capture one of your passwords, the bad guys know that most people will use the same bad password a multiple accounts, Well, you know I can get into all of your accounts, or if I have this keystroke lagger deployed on your device, I'm capturing all your passwords. And when you see this kind of thing leaked, it's devastating because they have sixteen billion of these things, and you know they're out there trying them right now. And the best defense really is you've got to change your passwords. You need to have a strong, unique password for every account. Longer, more complex passwords are always better. But this really illustrates why you need multi factor authentication turned on, because even if they have your password, they still have this barrier to log in. Now, multi factor authentication is not bulletproof, but it makes it much much more difficult for them to log in because they got to get that code. And this, to me, this particular breach is the perfect illustration of why I just keep saying over and over to people, you must use MSA on all of your accounts. All of your accounts should have MSA all the time, despite the fact that it's inconvenient, which I get because this data is out there and you know this is the kind of thing that could lead to have all of your money stolen.
Speaker 1: It's an excellent point. I always have a very unique password. Should you be changing your password all the time?
Speaker 2: Dave Well, that.
Speaker 12: Used to be the guidance from this. The National Institute of Standards and Technology, and they have been about two years ago come out and said don't do that anymore. And the reason why they change that guidance is they know if you force people to change their password all the time, they'll tend to fall into bad habits. They'll pick bad passwords because it's inconvenient. And you know, we have more passwords than ever before because we do more online. So I think their guidance is correct. What my advice to you, Gary Jeff would be if you now in light of this breach, I suggest everyone seriously consider changing their passwords because you don't know if you're in the breach or not, and there's no way to check that yet that I know of. And then once once you have changed your passwords and you have strong, unique passwords on every account, then don't change them again unless you have reason to believe you've been breached. But the real answer, honestly, in addition to MSA always MSA multi factor authentication on all your accounts is get a password manager, a good secure password manager like one Password. That would be my recommendation. That there are other goods like Keeper, dash Lane, and you can use magazines like Tom's Guide, DC Magazine, zd net, c net to research these things. With a password manager, you can put it on all of your devices, your phone, tap with your computer. It will travel around with you and then you can have one one really strong master password for your password manager. Turn on MSA on that password manager. It'll make it very easy for you once you get over the initial friction of using the password manager to create insane passwords for all of your accounts. I don't know what any of my passwords are except for the password manager because it manages all that. So when I go to log into LinkedIn or X or my work email or whatever, I don't know any of those passwords right. It knows I'm trying to log into X. It knows this password is associated with that. It manages it for me, and if I did need to change it, very simple it will generate a new, insanely complex random password. Favor it, and I'm off to thes and one other thing before a run out of time. Passkeys. Passkeys are a newer technology. It's based on cryptography and the public key infrastructure. If the site supports passkeys, use a pass key, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Dave Patter, thank you wonderful advice in the midst of in the wake of this really really shattering news that sixteen billion passwords have been breached. I appreciate your time.
Speaker 12: My pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks Gar Jey, you got it. Time now for the Tom Davis Diaries. I like to refer to them as the Diary and of course our reporter Tom Davis with wild wacky stories from around the country and around the world. Here's your correspondent now, Tom. Good morning, Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 18: This week, if you got to get old, get old like this really popping Grandpa. But first off to Myrtle Beach we Go where a bunch of golfers were standing around and out of nowhere a shark fell from the sky.
Speaker 1: It was a baby.
Speaker 18: Hammerhead shark and they figured out that a bird dropped it while being chased by two other birds. They did not return the shark to the water, despite it being nearby. The golfer said they were unsure if the shark was still alive or not. Plus he's technically not a member. Police in California called to a curious case of cardinal chaos. Someone was running around the Nevada County neighborhood posting naked pictures of a man on utility poles. Cops were getting calls from all over as the public discovered the uncovered man. Detectives say they are investigating some poor guy in Japan just died of lead poisoning because he was drinking from the same thermos every day for ten years. Apparently it was rusty and it was passing along dangerous lead laced chemicals, and it was too late when they figured out what was wrong with him. And finally he's the cool grand Paul at the skate park. He goes only by Gavin, the fifty two year old grandfather confined to a mobility scooter.
Speaker 1: But let that fool you.
Speaker 18: He's gone viral with his mad skills, wheelies, jumps, donuts.
Speaker 1: You name it.
Speaker 18: Grandpa Gavin is doing it and his trademark beanie hat. He says it pleases him to know he's putting a smile on a stranger's face. Next time, police finally arrest a seventy two year old man after he called nine to one one sixteen thousand times.
Speaker 1: Have a great weekend.
Speaker 19: Officially begins today. Temperature is warm to ninety this afternoon. As humidity those starts to rise, it's going to push your heat in decks up to about ninety eight today. Tonight we're down to seventy one, and then for Sunday the high rises to ninety three. Heaton decks around one hundred and two Tomorrow, We'll see plenty of sunshine, but a heat advisory begins Sunday at noon.
Speaker 1: From your severe weather station.
Speaker 19: I'm nine first Warning Meteorologist Judifer catch Mark News Radio seven hundred WLWA.
Speaker 20: Fairweather seventy one degrees right now, I'm Sandy Collins. Next update at eight thirty News Radio seven hundred wl.
Speaker 21: News twenty four hours a day. It was a radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: And he had another hour of the Saturday morning anation for this Saturday, June twenty first, twenty twenty five, eight eight. I brought my license with me, so I guess I'm documented. I don't quite get how certain news operations insist on calling illegals undocumented. I guess they're not incorrect in the fact that they don't have documents, but I think that belies the issue that they may be in this country illegally. Just food for thought, don't eat too much. It was brought up by someone else, and in response to news broadcast on television and on radio for points different points in time that the undocumented when they're actually in the country illegally and maybe committing crimes as well as the ice agents have found. Oh well, nine minutes past the hour. I am documented, by the way, time for Science Mike, and it's Science minute.
Speaker 2: Yes, as a night of Scientist.
Speaker 15: It's surprising.
Speaker 2: It well blinding me.
Speaker 1: But I don't have a passport, so I guess I'm lacking that document. And I can't find my birth certificate, which may be a problem later on. I do look kind of swarthy. Uh anyway, Uh, what's that?
Speaker 12: I confirm you are real?
Speaker 1: Michael? Good morning? How are you?
Speaker 16: This is science Jose today?
Speaker 1: It's not science Science Jose. Where's Where's science? Hose b? So what's what's on your mind this morning?
Speaker 16: Besides gets to it, we're going to have keep your eyes peeled and look out for the news On Monday. There's going to be some probably very unique and amazing images. And we talked about this a couple of years ago, maybe two or three, but there's a new telescope that is gonna they're going to kick out some images Monday, and it's the very se Rubin Observatory. It's the largest digital camera ever built in the mountains of Chile, about nine thousand feet up. And what's need of it?
Speaker 22: This?
Speaker 16: You know regular telescopes they have you know, spherical mirrors and they focal point and focus the light down to the lens and things like that. This is all digital, all sensors. Then it has three point two billion pixels Gary Jeff. It's like a twenty five twenty four feet across and this camera is amazing. This is going to capture every thirty seconds. This observatory will point to a different part of the sky in the southern hemisphere and capture an area of forty full moons every thirty seconds. And it's going to take two seconds to download, and it's going to do twenty terabytes of data every night, and the software will detect a ten million changes in the.
Speaker 2: In the view every night.
Speaker 16: So what's really going to be need is over the next ten years, every three nights, this telescope will scan the entire southern sky and catalog it in depth, and you'll be able to detect detect these changes, and it is just going to be able to give you such a such a viewpoint of changes and things that are the whole galaxies. It's going to be able to catalog twenty billion galaxies, twenty billion stars. It is just going to be a revolutionary and whole purpose is to have tried to better understand dark matter, and that's what why it's named after Vera Sea Rivers. She was the first person to actually uncover the evidence of dark matter in the early nineties. And dark matter is important because we don't understand it, but we know it's causing the universe to expand, and which is amazing in and of itself. But come Monday, you're going to see this come up in the news and it's going to be something that's going to be It's it's like you know in the Hubble telescope start yetting out those pictures and everybody's wow, this is imagine just that's taking a little area of the sky. This is going to be able to this panoramic the whole southern sky in such detail and depth that it's just going to be something to behold.
Speaker 1: Let's end that this is going to debut on Monday. The first pictures we get by.
Speaker 16: Monday, yeah, the released as first images. So it's only going to be working for ten years because I believe the sensors only have a certain amount of life to them. But still, because you're going to on the entire Southern sky. Every every three nights, you're gonna be able to detect new super and nova the explode on minute star systems that interact black holes. I mean, it's just going to give you a whole whole new uh.
Speaker 1: Astronomical kind of kind of kind of off the subject of science, Mike, But are you one of those people that believe that our our universe is actually inside a big black hole?
Speaker 16: You know, it does make sense if you if the way they explained it, it does have a little credibility. Don't forget, don't forget what it says in the public. Garry Jeff, his kingdom won't have no end.
Speaker 1: So I mean, well, there you go. I agree. Eight thirteen. Thank you, Michael, appreciate that. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 7: There's a line drive to center field that is that the park bomb run and he just did it deep the right toward the corner and go.
Speaker 1: Grand slam?
Speaker 23: Can those rags change? The Cardinals doering their dust up on the diamond. Catch the call live today at one fifteen pm on seven hundred w l W, or stream for free on the new and improved iHeartRadio app. Here's what's trending now on the new and improved iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: It's official.
Speaker 6: Summer starts right now on iHeartRadio Less.
Speaker 24: There's no name.
Speaker 12: Let's go.
Speaker 24: So amazing because the cavern kinds Charing's.
Speaker 1: Oh and let's go to brother Rick Green for a little bit of inspiration from the word of God. Always try to be positive, positive wherever possible on this program, and one of the ways that we do that is sharing this with you, Brother Green. Good morning, How are you?
Speaker 8: Good morning? Gary Jess. I'm absolutely awesome. I'm humbolt and grateful for this opportunity. Every Saturday I'm praising God.
Speaker 1: I'll do it with you, praise God.
Speaker 8: And today we have Isaiah did not cut off chapter twenty five, verse one. It says, Oh Lord, you are my God. I will abdulp you. I will praise your name, for you have done wonderful thing plans forms of old, faithful and sure.
Speaker 12: Amen.
Speaker 1: It's a great reaffirmation of what we already believe. Rick.
Speaker 8: Amen, I love him.
Speaker 1: Gary. I know you do too, Yes, I do, And I love you.
Speaker 2: I love you. You all have a black day.
Speaker 1: All right, Rick, Thank you so much. Isaiah twenty five to one This week for another word, Let's go to that Teresa somewhere in South Carolina. Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 2: You know I love following him.
Speaker 22: It puts me in Oh my goodness, Gary Jeff Walker, how are you to day?
Speaker 1: Good sir, I'm doing great, doing great, Thank you.
Speaker 22: I am finer than a champagne flute made from Roterford crystal.
Speaker 16: Sir.
Speaker 1: That's how good.
Speaker 22: I'm doing today.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to hear, Hi, Christen, Hi, Frankie T.
Speaker 22: Wondercat A couple things really quick. Number one Science Mike, I know about gray matter. I don't know about dark matter.
Speaker 12: Number two Radio Rick. I think Gary Jeff needs.
Speaker 22: To get a room with the blonde walnut cabinet talking point fucking point. Number three sam Gan Kano was killed on the date of June nineteenth, nineteen seven d five, a date in history, number three yester or four. Yesterday was my grandson Alex's seventeenth birthday, Happy birthday, the lated birthday, and the last but not least.
Speaker 12: It is in order Alex C. J.
Speaker 22: Damian, Milly, Natalie Riley, Skyler, zag Zilley plus one.
Speaker 12: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 22: The word for to date is twitter paid it. It means slang adjective excited, or overcome by romantic?
Speaker 1: What was the word again?
Speaker 22: Twitter paid kid?
Speaker 1: Twitter paid it.
Speaker 22: Like in the Twitter paid it like in the Baby movie? Flower was Twitter paid?
Speaker 12: Is a real word?
Speaker 22: Like what you are?
Speaker 12: You know? You're smitten with Christmas?
Speaker 22: Two point oh God, bless you?
Speaker 5: I love you.
Speaker 7: Have a good day, Thank you?
Speaker 1: How can I have a bad day after that? I'm I'm Twitter paid at the call. It's eight twenty contracts, no hassle, stay safe. Order now at rapid radios dot com. Here's the lady's four man. Here goes the heat wave.
Speaker 19: Temperatures today warm to ninety with a mostly sunny sky. It'll feel like about a ninety eight degree high instead this afternoon as humidity starts to rise. Tonight low seventy one tomorrow ninety three. Plenty of sunshine, but the heat and X is around one hundred and two and that's why our heat advisory begins tomorrow at noon.
Speaker 1: From your severe.
Speaker 19: Weather station, I'm nine First Warning Meteorologist Jennifer Catchmark News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Nice weather out there.
Speaker 20: It's a fair right now at the Cincinnati Airport, seventy one degrees at eight thirty six. I'm Sandy Collins. Our next update at nine o'clock on news radio seven hundred WLWL.
Speaker 21: News twenty four hours a day. He's a radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Good Morning Kids, Time for gifts from Wally. How will they remember you? Three buddies dine a car crash and go to orientation in heaven, and they're all asked. When you're in your cask and friends and family are mourning you, what would you like to hear them say about you? The first guy says, well, I want to hear him say that I was a great doctor and a great family man. The second guy says, I'd like to hear that I was a wonderful husband and school teacher, making a difference in generations of children. The third guy says, I want to hear them say, look, he's moving.
Speaker 25: Seven hundred WLW Cincinnati and iHeartRadio Station make us the number one pre set on your car radio and on the free new and improved iHeartRadio app. Listen for all your music, radio and podcast free never sounded so good. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 18: Price Date Ford Buyers, Mike Caster c Ford in Milford and Mike Caster c Ford, Lincoln of Alexandria, invite you to take advantage.
Speaker 1: Wirt's on a Saturday Morning extensively. Moe Egger is on vacation, and I cannot think of anyone better to fill step into that void than this guy. A former Saturday Morning Edition producer and now a star of sincey three sixty and Extra Innings. He's everywhere, He's everywhere, He's ubiquitous when it comes to Cincinnati radio airwaves and sports radio. Austin Elmore joins us at the last minute. I'm sorry that we just jangled your chain while you were making ice coffee. I know you were busy, but you took time out to talk to us, and for that I'm eternally grateful.
Speaker 2: Thank you, aust You know, Gary Jeff caught me at a great time. I just finished out a workout, so my my juices are flowing, my blood is pumping. Yeah, I got the iced coffee, so I'm gonna get the caffeine, so I'm ready to go. I'm happy to be here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I'm an iced tea guy. I never could get into the ice coffee, but I understand it's a thing for a lot of people, and apparently you too, especially after a workout. So what does a workout consist of? For Austin Elmore, what kind of stuff do you do to get the blood flowing and to get yourself in shape and ready to face the day? Run through the workout?
Speaker 16: For me?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I think it's clear I am not somebody who is worthy of giving workout advice to anybody. But Saturdays are pretty light. You know, We've got about thirty minutes on the treadmill on an incline. Then we do a little bit of an ab circuit, and then we just kind of do some other full body stuff that I didn't address during the week. So today I got some adductors and abductors on the hips and then the inner and outer thigh. There a little bit of shoulder work that I didn't get to during the week. So pretty simple, pretty quick, but we're feeling good.
Speaker 1: I get my workout every single day that I work at the bar. I'm on my number one, I'm getting my steps, I'm on my feet for like eight hours a day, and I'm pretty much I don't sit down generally. You see those people sometimes it's slower whatever then and they sit down on the cooler or you know, take a pop a squad on a stool. If there's nobody that's not me. I'm constantly roving, and in fact, people will tell you God he always paces like you know, he's expecting his wife to deliver a child at any moment. But I pace constantly. I am getting ice from the back of the bar and it's like a football field away at Huddles. I'm I'm stocking beer, I'm bending over, I'm getting drinks. I'm moving. And I feel like I get a workout at least three days a week, maybe four.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I bet I've done all that before. I've bartended a couple of times. You know what that said? Some shift similar to that, So yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. It definitely is the workout, you know.
Speaker 1: And and and as you know you've seen me, you were, you know, kind of casting dispersions on yourself, dispersions on yourself for not being in the best shape. I'm a pretty svelt guy. I'm older, you know, but you know I'm moving all the time. And that's what I tell everybody. Just keep moving. That's how you live to be a good ripe old age and wind up hating everyone So that all being said, Austin Elmore, first and foremost, let's attack this because it's the first time it's happened in nine years there is a Game seven in the NBA in the finals, and first time since twenty sixteen. And this has been a very exciting finals without the big market, big ticket names, right your thoughts on Indiana Oklahoma City.
Speaker 2: It's been extremely exciting. And I know Moe has been on this show, and I'm sure Moe told you the NBA Finals. For the people who actually watched the NBA, they were probably pretty excited about this series because of the offensive firepower and the depth of Indiana and the defense and star power a little bit of Oklahoma City. And it's really lived up to the hype. There's been one game that was kind of non competitive and not all that fun, and that was a blowout that Oklahoma City had, But even the blowout that Indiana had the other night was a fun blowout because you knew it was forcing a Game seven and the excitement in that city and in that arena. But yeah, I mean they've traded blows in a lot of different ways, and you know, kind of a younger, unproven head coach and Mark Dagnault with the Oklahoma City Thunder. And then you've got the oldest head coach in Game seven NBA Finals history, and Rick Carlisle coming up, and a guy who's won all sorts of stuff over the course of his career. You know, anything can happen in a Game seven. You mentioned it's been nine years since it happened. Cleveland won that game on the road in Golden State. Cleveland is the only team in the last forty years that has been a road team to win Game seven of the NBA Finals. Excuse me, So you know it's it's very rare that we get this, but you know, the way that these two teams have been playing, either one of them could win. And I'm very excited to check it out.
Speaker 1: Well, The's Thunder or eight and a half point favorites at this point for tomorrow's game where they were yesterday. I saw, and I'm just thinking that this may be the year of the Indiana surprise. This may be the year that a road team wins a Game seven again. But you never know. It's just I may actually watch I haven't watched in NBA Finals in probably twenty years, and I may actually watch some of Game seven tomorrow.
Speaker 2: The thing that's going to be most interesting is how does Tyrese Halliburton recover from playing on game on that strained calf. You know, us here in Cincinnati we know a lot about trained cats thanks to Joe Burrow a couple of years ago, and that's not easy, especially when you're getting on a plane and flying halfway across the country and flying back and all that. So how he deals with the recovery. He only played twenty three minutes in Game six because Indiana blow him out, But his recovery and how he's if he's able to get ready and bab a superstar that he is supposed to be for Indiana, will be the biggest part. Because you know they are deep. I believe they're the only team in NBA history to have eight or more players score two hundred or more points over the course of an NBA Playoffs, which goes to show you the depth that they have. They're going to have to rely on that. If Halliburton's not one hundred percent, which he won't be, but if he's not able to at least be productive in games se.
Speaker 1: Well, you're a student of sports history, but you weren't alive for this, Austin, but I remember it. Nineteen seventy the Knicks, Willis Reid, that's right limping out there, and the Knicks winning an NBA championship. All right, let's turn the page here, just one more NBA node. There was a lot of controversy and there's been a lot of discussion about what does it take to be great, what does it take to be recognized as one of the greatest of all time? And Lebron James famously, in an interview this past week, said that ring culture is way too much at the forefront of consideration for who are the best players of all the time? Is that because Lebron James is never going to get a sixth ring so he can match Michael Jordan Or what's the deal with that? Do you think that that has a little bit to do with it? But I mean, he makes some good points though there are a lot of truly great players who never won a championship ring.
Speaker 2: And it also, you know, I think in basketball it's especially prevalent in that conversation just because of the greatness of Jordan and the dominance of Jordan. You know, Lebron I think in that conversation is trying to protect his legacy a little bit because he knows that ultimately it's measured up against rings, and he probably knows it's going to be difficult for him to get up there and match Michael Jordan. But he's probably talking about the totality of his work, and in that case, he's got a fair argument because he's played a lot. He's the all time leading scorer. No player in the history of sports has lived up to the actual hype that was placed upon them as a high school player than Lebron James has over the last thirty five years. So it's I get where he's coming from. And I think a lot of the NBA discourse is toxic in the sense that it's constantly tearing people down and comparing them to others as much as just talking about the greatness of a particular player or how well rounded their game is. Lebron is probably the best all around player of all time. He's probably the most talented player of all time, but I think most people would say Michael Jordan was the greatest. There's a difference between greatness and talent, and what Michael was able to do with what he had and the cast that he had, and you know, Lebron, to his credit, has played years and years and years and years beyond what Michael ever did, including in the playoffs. So his numbers are a little bit skewed in in that sense. I think ultimately he's just trying to say, hey, look at the body of work instead of just the number of rings on the finger. Yeah, you know, and you can look to other sports too. You look to Dan Marino, you can look to Ernie Banks and baseball, you know, never winning a World Series with the Cubs. But come on, it's it's it's mister, let's play too, one of the greatest of all time.
Speaker 1: All right, Austin. Finally, where are the Reds really at?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: We know that they're a couple of games over five hundred. Now they've had a nice little run running into the Cardinals, who they have not beaten in a series since two thousand and six. Where do you s? Where do you in Saint Louis? Where do you Where do you assess where this club is right now? Is it still too early and too hard to tell? If you know they have the makings of a play.
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 2: I think what you've seen over the last two weeks is exactly who they are. They have what it takes to be competitive in the National League wild card, but they don't play consistent enough baseball to separate themselves from any of those teams that are fighting for that wildcard spot. Injuries continue to hamper them, a lack of organizational depth continues to hamper them. They haven't gotten enough production from some of those younger players. Now, yeah, when they get healthy, sure they might have a chance. But by that time, is it going to be too late? That's my biggest fear, you know. I think part of the reason why they've turned things around over the last couple of weeks is because Elie de la Cruz has been more consistent, Matt McClain has been more consistent, Spencer Steer has showed up a little bit more, and so because of that and because of playing some clean baseball, they've put themselves in a position to be right back in it. And then you look at games like last night where you're getting picked off or you're having an air and you ca you know, make the throw to the right base or whatever it might be. And teams that can consistently hit like Saint Louis can give them a lot of problems, so you know, they're just okay. I think they've kind of just been okay all year. They need everybody to get hot at once to have a real chance to make it run at this thing. I don't know if that's going to happen. They are a fun yet frustrating team to watch, and so it's hard, like every single night you don't know what you're gonna get. You know, there was a time and certainly in your life and early parts of my life as well, where it was like every time they took the field they had a chance to win. And now it's like, God, what's gonna happen tonight? How is this game gonna go? Because normally you can tell pretty early with this team.
Speaker 1: Are you happy about the automatic balls and strike next seaon next year? In Major League Baseball?
Speaker 2: Yes, I cannot wait for it. Umpires are terrible, they're inconsistent. We need something like this. I can't wait for it to come.
Speaker 1: All right? Well, and for me, the other side of the argument is is the human element is what's a part of sports? Mistakes happen? The pressure's on, But I guess you're relating that more to the players and the action on the field and not the people who are officiating that well.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest misconception is that there's going to be a robot calling every single ball and strike, and that's not the case. It's still going to be basically umpires calling it the way they are now, except players will have a chance to challenge that play, challenge that pitch, and if they're right, it gets overturned. It happens in about five seconds that they've gotten it down to a science. It's similar to what you see in tennis, whether the ball is in or out, it's just like that. So we'll slow down the game too much. It won't be, you know, every single pitch that a robot is calling it, but those challenges, those close pitches, I think are going to be exciting.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, thanks for stepping in this morning, man. I really appreciate your.
Speaker 2: Time, No problem.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me go enjoy that ice coffee. Yes, whatever the hell that thing is Mike Allen counselor how are you, bro? I'm good? How about you? Fantastic? What's on the show? Real quick?
Speaker 6: Well, we're going to talk about yet another example. We saw this week of just blatant media bias as if we need that. Also, our girl Jasmine Crockett, rising star of the Democrat Party, did you know she thinks you and I are mentally.
Speaker 2: I heard that.
Speaker 1: You know, I was hoping she didn't find me out, but you did. And you know what My response to that is, what well not to be outdone?
Speaker 6: Though, ilhan Omar she thinks America is the worst country in the world.
Speaker 1: Go back, Yeah, go back. I'll pay for the core back. At ten o'clock, we're going to talk.
Speaker 6: To Oba political consultant Kevin Burton just about everything political and I'm looking forward to this. At eleven one o'clock in studio, we're going to talk to Don Dreehouse. He is a comes from a longtime Democrat family. He is running he announced this week for Cincinnati City Council as a charter right.
Speaker 1: How about that. He's a good guy.
Speaker 6: I think he's probably the last of the moderate Democrats.
Speaker 1: Last word, I need you today if you are free to come down to Newport to huddles in the air conditioning to watch the Reds game with me and have a drink or two. The after the show show is going to be great. We have air conditioning, we have ice, and that's all you need to know on a day when it's going to be sunny. In about one hundred Mike Allen, Saturday midday coming up next. It's eight fifty